View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Wed Feb 3rd 2010

by , February 3rd, 2010 at 09:59 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Feb 3rd 2010

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    Whitney coached
    5:30 - 7:00
    swam with Marcio, Max Nate, Mike V, tyler & Kelly Williamson

Warm Up
    200 k went 2:37

Main Set

3 x 300 on 4:00 done 100 mod 100 fast 100 mod

3 x 50 fl desc on 1:00

3 x 200 on 3:00 done 50 mod 100 fast 50 mod

3 x 50 bk desc on 1:00

3 x 100 on 1:30 done 25 mod 50 fast 25 mod

3 x 50 br

moved to diving well

did
    25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, 175, 200 k on 25 per 25 base

200 IM

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down

April 9 -11
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Serenity Now!

by , February 3rd, 2010 at 08:52 AM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    "Everyone knows I'm in over my head..."
    -The Fray

Friday. Snow. I stared at the 1-2 inches predicted for Saturday, blinked, and watched it increase to 2-3 inches. Friday night, 3-6 inches. Saturday, 4-6 inches.

11:00. Snow. The snow began Saturday as the team left our apres-workout coffeehouse. I tripped on down to Office Depot to drop off the meet program for printing, ordering 200 copies. I was pasting the advertiser-sponsor ads in, the day before. We charge $10 for a footer ad, which pays for printing the program. Did the gal in the copy center speak English? Did she understand me? Were there no forms to fill out?

12:00. Snow. I posted a note to the web page that the meet's fate would be decided sometime in the evening, after evaluation of an updated forecast and of the roads. Emails were sent out looking for a fourth official for the meet.

1:00. Snow. The flurry of phone calls and emails kept the telecommunications industry in business. Discussion centered on how to get the word out if canceled, refund policies, and rec center pool rental contractual requirements. Calls were made to find a substitute meet official.

2:00. Snow. The chair movers were scheduled to be at the summer pool at 3:30 to load up chairs onto the rented truck. This was earlier than usual, because the pool guy with the key needed to officiate a regional high school meet in late afternoon.

Since his meet was canceled, we could start the chair brigade an hour later. Chair workers were notified. Two 'no' answers came in from possible meet officials.

3:00. Snow. It was decided to proceed with the pool setup as scheduled at 5:20. The hospitality room coordinator needed to leave home, but her swimming husband was not home yet. She asked to come in early before the meet at 6:00 AM. I gave her the pool's phone number and asked to coordinate. She decided to stay home that evening and arrive at the pool early morning to set up her end. A call to our sanction chair seemed to indicate the pool guy could be an official at our meet - his high school certification was acceptable by USMS.

4:00. Snow. There were 5-inches of snow on my deck. I began clearing the car and loading up the lap counters, flamingoes, tee shirts, awards, hats, coconuts, power strip. The melted snow on the car from earlier that day had frozen to the windshield.

5:00. Snow. I headed to Office Depot to pick up the meet programs. It was recently closed due to the weather. Were the employees inside having a party and laughing at me frantic knocking on the glass doors in the cold snow? After 5 minutes, one came to the door. I explained the situation, and was told to pick them up tomorrow morning after 10:00.

I continued knocking. I was going to stay there all night knocking if needed. Another employee came over and told me the register computers were shut down, so I could not check out. I offered to hand over my credit card to charge it tomorrow when the registers started up again. Nope. Then, I dropped the bomb, "I want to speak to the manager."

I explained the situation a third time. The manager let me in, obtained the copies, and checked me out on the register without talking much, trying to force a disgusted, disapproving look on her face. I will be sure to send a note of thanks.

5:30. Snow. I arrived at the pool. The chair brigade was there waiting. Their truck would not make into the summer pool's driveway. Rather than risk getting it stuck, it was left at the street. Chairs were carried out, down the driveway through the snow to the street.

The pool training classes which had kept us from setting up at 5:00 were canceled due to the snow. The canoe, noodles, foam belts and bar bells, kickboards were all cleared off the pool deck. The tables were set up. The few chairs the rec center owned (there are no bleachers) were set up. The lane lines were in. This year, the staff had actually done a lot of the work we were forced to do in the past. Our setup was completed in an hour - a record time.

7:00. Snow. The snow was beginning to end after 6 inches accumulation. The weather forecast and radar showed it ending. The road crews had all night to clear the roads. I posted to the meet web page that
    the meet was on.

I packed up the computers and printers for the morning trip, cored a pineapple for the luau hospitality room, set the alarm, and went to bed.

Updated February 3rd, 2010 at 11:38 AM by Rnovitske

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Needed Sleep Today so I did sleep swimming today

by , February 3rd, 2010 at 07:49 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My eyes were closed for most of the warmup and 1st kick set. When I get near the lights I know it is time to turn.

10x100@1:45 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins
    500 Free w/paddles & bouy every 4th lap alternate breath
    5x100@1:45 fly kick w/fins as 25 rt side, 25 lt side, 50 on back
    10X50 from block 15 meter sprints then easy free to finish
    5x100@1:45 Free w/snorkle concentrate on pull

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Evening swim and nutrition

by , February 3rd, 2010 at 01:01 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Drove up the mountain this evening and swam with the folks on the masters team I belong to. The drive is 30 to 35 minutes which is not bad considering the actual mileage is 26 miles. Some good stretches of highway and just a few areas of traffic. I've had to make a little bit of an adjustment swimming in the evening. Most of the time, I have been swimming in the mid-afternoon or at lunch.

I don't swim too well on a really full stomach, so have had to figure out how to handle my end-of-the-day eating. The workout starts at 6:30 p.m., so today I ate a peanut butter sandwich about 4:30. We finished the workout about 7:30 and instead of stopping somewhere for a heavy meal, I bought a chocolate Muscle Milk from the front desk of the fitness center where the pool is. I've read that it is crucial to get something to eat within 30 to 45 minutes of your workout. If I wait until I get home, wth the time it takes me to sit in the hot tub, the sauna, and change, it would be close to an hour. The Muscle Milk took care of me for the rest of the evening. It is about 360 calories and I just love it!

To make sure I got my veggies and fruits, I tried to get this in at lunch or for a snack. This all seemed to work well today, so will try it again next time I swim in the evening.

On workout tonight, I joked with the others that I was getting elevation training. Where they are is around 1100 feet whereas the Y is about 550. Not really enough to make a difference, but it is a fun thought!

Felt good at the workout which is as follows:

200 warm-up

5 x 100 free on 2:00 - try to descend each 100 by 5 seconds - went 1:30, 1:21, 1:15, 1:11, 1:07

50 easy

4 x 100 free descend on 2:00 - went 1:34, 1:25, 1:16, 1:05

50 easy

4 x 75 on 1:30 - 75 free, 25 back/50 free, 50 back/25 free, 75 back

6 x 50 choice on 1:00 - did all dolphin kick (no fins)

200 easy

Updated February 3rd, 2010 at 03:15 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Tuesday

by , February 2nd, 2010 at 11:16 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Nasti's tonight at Fisher's High School.
    I love to swim in this pool but 7:30 p.m. is soooo late to start working out. I may switch to 4:45 a.m. at least twice per week. (other swim nites at 7p.m.)
    There were only 4 of us present; Bobinator and 3 fast men!
    The workout was just sort-of made up as we went along. I tacked on 1,000 after the other 3 finished. Here's the workout:

**400 freestyle swim warm-up
    **8 X 100 free on 1:40 (the men did 10 on 1:30)
    **150 Kick no fins.
    **Super 500 all free. :30 time base.
    **6 X 50 kick with fins on 1:00
    **200 Backstroke(rest :15 sec)
    **150 Backstroke(rest :15 sec)
    **100 Backstroke (rest :15)
    **50 Backstroke
    **10 X 50 Free on :50
    100 IM cool-down
    3,200 scy

I've had Subway for supper 3 nights in a row. Tonight's menu: Subway Turkey w/provolone, 2 big oranges, 3 cookies, and a banana. Being an empty nester has dissolved all my desire to cook!

Updated February 2nd, 2010 at 11:34 PM by Bobinator (mistake)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Scylla and Charybdis

Tonight I swam with the local masters group—it was great seeing my Florida swim buddies again after being away for a couple of weeks. Here’s what I did:

600 swim + 200 kick warmup

6 x 150 (100 easy swim/50 very fast kick) @ 3:00 [choice of stroke: I did mine FR/BK/FR/BR/FR/FL]

6 x 50 swim @ :50, desc. 1-3 and 4-6 [I did FR on the first 3 and BK on the second 3]

6 x 150 (100 easy swim/50 very fast kick) @ 3:00 [choice of stroke: I alternated FR and BK]

6 x 50 swim @ :50, desc. 1-3 and 4-6 [FR on the first 3 and BK on the second 3]

300 warmdown

As I was warming down a huge bug swam through my lane—about 2 feet under the water, going right under me. I switched lanes, which then meant I was swimming right next to the pool covers. I had to decide which I was most scared of, the bug or the covers (and the looming darkness under them.) It then occurred to me that the bug might have come from the covers, since it was swimming away from them. I gave up and cut my warmdown a 50 short.

I’m going to try to get up and swim early tomorrow as well. I hope Mr. Bug will still be fast asleep, and NOT trying to share a lane with me.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Ford F150?

by , February 2nd, 2010 at 08:29 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well it wasn't quite a MACK truck but something caught up with me overnight. Meet fatigue took a day late in arrival and today my body was achey just getting up.
    I did 40 minutes on the elliptical but I never felt like I got up to where I can normally so I drank a protein drink afterward to help my system out and give me an energy lift.

More swimming tomorrow...maybe some IM work...we'll see.

Updated February 2nd, 2010 at 08:59 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Drylands + Quick Kick, Monday, Feb. 2

by , February 2nd, 2010 at 05:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

I started off with some med ball slamming in the racquetball court, trying not to use my right hand much. Someone must have complained b/c I was kicked out after 5 minutes. But I was told I could do slams in the Personal Trainer room, which I did. And I discovered that's where they hide all the good toys -- jump ropes, power wheels, ladders, etc. So I just worked out in there the whole time.

med ball slams (twisting, forward, starter-type, overhead, single arms etc.)
    ladder hops, forward & lateral*
    bicycles, 2 x 100
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    kettleball snatch, 20 x 2 x 25
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 25
    goblet squats, 60 x 2 x 15
    back extensions, 20 x 4 x 15
    box jumps, 1 x 10 (these felt slightly dangerous with glasses on, so I desisted)
    rock star jumps, 2 x 10
    jump knee tucks, 2 x 10
    P90X steam engines w/hand weights, 2 x 50

* I don't think these are particularly useful for swimming or fitness training.

10 rounds of:

1 x 100 jump rope hops
    1 x RC exercise (tricep kick backs, external & internal rotators, prone scapular scrunches, ball on wall, 3 position arm extensions)

Kick/SCM/Solo:

I didn't have time to journey to the rec center, so "swam" in the hot gym pool. It was super hot today -- ugh! Just did a quick kick workout with a board and my prescription goggles to avoid contaminating the eyes with chlorine.

Warm up:

200 flutter kick w/board
    200 evil kick w/board

Main Set:

20 x 50 kick w/board @ 1:10, done as 25 AFAP + 25 EZ
    odds = flutter
    evens = dolphin

I thought I might be too tired for these right after drylands, but I felt pretty speedy on the fast kick portions

50 EZ kick

5 minutes hot tub; 5 minutes steam

Total: 1450 meters kick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Glad I got two good sessions in today b/c we're supposed to get another 4-6 inches of snow tonight. I have no use whatsoever for snow. Inevitably, school will be cancelled or delayed. If it is, I will likely do a couple workout DVDs at home. Or hopefully, the rec center will still be open.

Speaking of DVDs, my brother (who has been doing P90X for awhile) is now switching to the Insanity program. http://www.extremefitnessresults.com/insanity.html. It does look pretty insane, and with a fair amount of core work involved.

My wrist is somewhat sore after the drylands. I tried to focus on pylos, but the roll outs might have been a bit much.

I was also happy to recently discover that I actually can eat some cheeses. http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/172205.html

News Flash:

Jazzy went to hot yoga AGAIN and even liked it.

Updated February 2nd, 2010 at 08:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  9. Tuesday, 2/2/10

by , February 2nd, 2010 at 04:29 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, with Carrie

10x100 w/10 sec. rest:
    #1 free
    #2 back
    #3 kick
    #4 back
    #5-6 drill/swim by 50
    (free drill: fist and catch up)
    #7 IM
    #8 reverse IM
    #9 build free
    #10 build back

kick 2x around:
    {
    150 w/20 sec rest
    3x50 on 1:00 descend 1-3
    (did round 1 with board, round 2 on back)
    }
    swim 3x around
    {
    150 on 2:30
    (went free, back, free by round)
    3x50 no free on 1:00
    (went fly-back-breast on round 1&3, all back on round 2)
    4x25, 1st 15m fast on 40
    (round 1 free, round 2 back, round 3 fly)
    }
    200 swim down
    --
    Total: 3000 yards

Updated February 2nd, 2010 at 08:03 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Bobble-head, that's me

Lots of kicking in class tonight. Ugh. Feel like I'm getting sick, which doesn't help. Still, I was amazed the yardage added up to 2400. It seemed like it should have been closer to 2000. I'm still doing that weird bobbing thing with my head. Anyone know any good drills for keeping the head steady during freestyle? In backstroke it's no problem: you can just do ducky drills (and I seem to have a knack for going backwards anyway, which surprises nobody who knows me well). But you can't do ducky drills in freestyle, unless you have a snorkel, which I don't.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Tue Feb 2nd 2010

by , February 2nd, 2010 at 10:37 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue Feb 2nd 2010

WEIGHTS

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    Whitney coached
    6:30 - 8:00
    swam with Marcio & Max
    Beside Nate, Erin, Sharon, Ritchie, mike lovato, Mike V, & tyler

Warm Up
    3 x 300 done 50 fr 25 stroke

Main Set

10 x 100 on 1:20 done 75 fr 25 best/bk

800 done 100 k 50 fr 50 rest

10 x 100 on 1:30 done 75 fr 25 worst/br

800 done 50 fr 50 rest 50 k 50 scull

10 x 50
    odds 2 breaths
    evens strong

50 easy

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down

April 9 -11
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. From the mixed-up stroke files

Yesterday I swam at the Panama City Beach Aquatic Center. There were four fighter jets roaring overhead in tight formation when I arrived—maybe rehearsing for the Super Bowl? I swam on my back a lot hoping they would return, but they didn’t.

I was pretty tired from Sunday’s One Hour Swim and from traveling down here yesterday, so I just did a little wiggle-around-in-the-water workout. Here’s how it went:

1000 warmup

Chimerical stroke set:
    Twice through:
    2 x (25 FL Kick / 25 Freestyle with fly kick / 25 Backstroke with fly kick)
    2 x (25 BR Kick / 25 Freestyle with BR kick / 25 Backstroke with BR kick)
    [I’ve been seeing a lot of plush toy chimeras lately, like this bunny/dolphin creation. Is this a trend?]

400 SKPS warmdown

That was it!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Who needs sleep...

by , February 2nd, 2010 at 07:23 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Was up most of the night working. Got 3 hours sleep but it was broken up. I had been up for 2 hours when the alarm finally went off and since I was awake I went off to swim.

1000 as 100swim/pull/swim/kick/swim

1 of each stroke but breast was w/dolfin kick
    4x[100 Sprint w/fins
    ....[300 easy kick w/fins
    #1-free 1:01 #2-fly 1:12 #3-back 1:10 #4-breast 1:34

5x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    200 Easy Free

Total 3300 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. What are you taking a bath for? it ain't Saturday!.(nipple)

by , February 1st, 2010 at 11:30 PM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    Not sure if I've got permission to air this, but we all look fabulous, so here goes!

The Promontory Penguins make-up New Year's polar bear dip (women's division). Jan 31st 2010.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_6rrNPLbJA&feature=PlayList&p=3D50D1F19A3 DFA3D&index=2"]YouTube- Point penguins make up swim, women's division[/ame]

Updated February 1st, 2010 at 11:56 PM by Chicken of the Sea (making the title more sensational, on advice from Vlog the Inhaler)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Non-alcoholic digestif for a queasy mind

by , February 1st, 2010 at 11:25 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    In contrast to an apéritif, i.e., a bump (as they say in Minnesota) of spirited beverages designed to boost ones appetite before a meal, a digestif is consumed post-prandially. Such drinks often contain contain bitter or [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carminative"]carminative[/ame] herbs that some (the writers of Wikipedia, for example) believe will aid digestion. In my drinking days, there was nothing better than a pitcher or two of digestifs to both soothe, and create a subsequent even worse case of, queasiness.

I have been a teetotaler for 4 years plus now, though the thought of rejoining the world of such elixirs, with their french names and air of refinement and promise of short-lived euphoria, well the thought has been with me a lot of late, intensifying, turning over and over in my head like the tequila worm itself, awakening from his own pickled coma.

In any event, for now at least, my digestifs still remain metaphorical.

After writing Manifesto of Rattus Jimicus the other day, I decided I needed to take a break from all tumult and travail. From Saturday night till this Monday morning, I refused to turn on the computer or watch any kind of news-related opinion television programming that might poke or prod at our inflamed social rancor.

I think this Internet-and-Punditry Sabbath has done me good, and I hope to institute it on a regular basis. But even with a day off, I am not fully recovered from the effect recent obsessions have had on my sense of well-being.

Some of the effects are palpable. I feel, for instance, strange sensations in my chest, as if an aorta might consider exploding at the most minor of provocations. I am dizzy, too, and fear that the cranial gaskets themselves have reached their elastic limits. My gag reflex is triggered by the slightest adverse stimulus, and it seems only a matter of time before I cannot help but vomit on people that I don't like.

I don't mean or want to do this! But the peristalsis of the esophagus can sometimes have a mind of its own. There is only so much queasiness a wretch can take before it causes him to, well, retch.

So, to calm myself down, my psyche and my digestion, in the absence of a true digestif and its healing carminative compounds, I have done for me what has often proven to be the next best thing: make light of my upsets through the crafting of a child-like cartoon.

This one presents a recurrent fantasy of mine--that all my infirmities, my writers block that seems to be fast making me unemployable in my chosen profession; my chronic dysthymias about this thing or that; my corporal weakness bordering on such physical transubstantiation that it calls to mind some sort of wraith, phantasm, haunt, or kelpie inhabiting the House of Usher.

to combine all these things, acknowledge how very much they enervate me down to the last anemic corpuscle, but then--and here's the fantasy that is at the root of my hypochondria--to imagine some superb diagnostician somewhere will test me for all of these things, and fine me so lacking in the wherewithal to accomplish anything, that he or she publishes in a Reputable Scientific Journal my case, adding that it is nothing short of heroism that such as I can do the merest trifle.

Here, then, is such a cartoon digestif for the dyspeptic dry drunk Jimi, wishing for the stronger stuff.

If you feel the same way as I do--and I suspect there is a legion of us out in the world with exactly these same feelings!--I grant you my absolute permission to download this cartoon, substitute your own head where mine now sits, scotch-tape the whole thing to your refrigerator, or bathroom mirror, or the top of the case where you keep your burglar tools--any place, in short, where you are most likely to see it upon first awakening--and use it to cheer yourself up.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Remind me....

by , February 1st, 2010 at 11:00 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    that I'm supposed to feel this way during a taper. Not much energy or get up and go.

Swam 2500 yards on Saturday -mostly fin work. Main set was 2 sets of 4 x 75 on 1:30. First set was ladder starting off with all fly and adding in free as I went through the set. The second set was reverse of first set. Finished workout with shooters -had fins on.

Sunday, light workout at the gym:

1 set of 20 squats with bar
    1 set of 10 lat pull-downs
    2 sets of 10 push-ups with bosu ball
    1 set of 100 bicycles
    1 set of 50 good morning darlings
    2 sets of 50 side-crunches - 1 set each side
    1 set of 25 back extensions

Tonight, drove up the mountain to train with masters group. We had planned in advance to warm-up and do a few hard all-out swim from a dive.

Warm-up: 700 easy

1 x 50 fly
    100 easy
    1 x 50 free
    100 easy
    1 x 50 breast
    100 easy
    1 x 50 fly

200 easy

1500 SCY

Felt really sluggish on the first 50 I did. Kind of picked things up a bit through the swims as I went faster on the last 50 fly than I did on the first 50. Kind of felt sluggish and not very powerful on the set though. I needed to do these though as I have not done a meet in 8 months. Plan is to swim 2500 yards tomorrow.

It was so good to see the group. We have a new swimmer on the team who shows an enormous amount of potential. The other swimmers are swimming FAST and are going to make some big drops from their times at Auburn last year.

I wonder if I'm backing off too much. I feel like I'm not doing anything. I'll do some more race efforts on Thursday to practice going at race speed again. Next week, I think I'll just keep all of my swims under 1500 yards. It will basically just be a warm-up each day. Meet is just 11 days away.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. 2/1/10-Surprisingly Spry

by , February 1st, 2010 at 08:43 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Somehow the MACK truck didn't run me over during the night between the swim meet yesterday and waking up this morning.
    I got over to the pool for 1:30 and did the following, which I thought would be a good balance of recovery and effort swimming. I wore fins for much of the workout.

3 x 200 FR with snorkel
    2 x 50 Side kick
    2 x 50 6 kick switch
    2 x 50 3 & glide
    2 x 50 Catch up
    2 x 50 EZ
    10 x 75 1:15 1-4desc, 5ez, 6-10 rpt No Fins
    3 x 50 EZ No Fins
    4 x 100 2:00 max SDK each wall-mod free to next turn. No Fins
    2 x 50 BK streamline K
    2 x 50 BK K with rotation
    2 x 50 3 & glide
    4 x 50 BK did somewhere 1:15-1:30 No Fins
    3 x 100 BK No Fins
    300 Kick No Fins

Got out and hit the gym for 45 minutes of lifting and 15 stretching and some sit ups.

Updated February 2nd, 2010 at 08:00 AM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Rough Day, Monday, Feb. 1

by , February 1st, 2010 at 05:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Not a sterling day for me. Woke up and my eyes were killing me. They've been somewhat painful the last couple days. But when I woke up this am, I knew I had either iritis or keratitis. I was lucky enough to get an emergency appointment with my opthamologist, which resulted in prescriptions for restasis (for dry eye) and tobradex (steroid drops). I seem very prone to this condition ... seems to happen every year or so. I'm not supposed to swim until Wed. at the very earliest. Opthamologists think swimming is an evil sport ... We couldn't really figure out what caused the attack, but it could have been a change in pool chemicals.

Then, just to add insult to injury, I came home and pulled a Q. I was heading to take out the garbage and I slipped on ice on my step and fell forward, catching myself on my right wrist. Very painful and swollen. Took myself in to get an x-ray, which was negative. Looks like a sprain. &*%$&*#

I was, in fact, due for a rest day. But I would have preferred the real deal ...

I will now be putting hot towels on my eyes and ice on my wrist.

January Totals:

Chris inspired me to look at my Jan totals, which were:

Swim, 18x, 64,350+ yards
    Dryland, 13x
    Yoga, 8x
    Spin/Run, 3x

I think this means I've been swimming more like 4x a week instead of 5x. Perhaps I've been too consumed with my dryland obsession lately? 24x cross training is fairly substantial. But I do feel like I'm in decent shape all around.

I am doing pretty well on my new year's resolutions:

New Years Resolutions: (1/1)

1. stretch more
    2. improve my fly SDK
    3. go gluten & lactose free
    4. get the potato chip addiction under control
    5. try life as a redhead
    6. discover coping mechanisms to deal with strong willed drama queen teenage daughter who gets her cdriving permit this year.

Updated February 1st, 2010 at 09:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Monday, 2/1/10

by , February 1st, 2010 at 04:56 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

400 swim free
    200 kick rev IM order by 50s
    200 pull free w/p&b
    4 x 50 drill/build by 25 on 1:00
    (1-2 free, 3-4 back)

4x around choice:
    {(did 1, 3 free, 2,4 back)
    3 x 50 kick w/10 sec. rest
    (around 55 sec for free w/ board, 60 sec on back)
    200 swim on 3:20
    (free was 3:00, 2:52; back was 3:07, 3:02)
    4 x 25 descend 1-4 to FAST on :30
    (free 20->16, back 23:->18)

Try to descend the 200s by round as well
    }

swim down 200
    --
    Total: 3000 yards

After work - 3 mile run on treadmill at the gym.

Updated February 2nd, 2010 at 10:57 AM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Mon Feb 1st 2010 5:09 in a 500 fr

by , February 1st, 2010 at 03:25 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Feb 1st 2010

got in and splashed around yesterday, planned on lifting weights, but went to bed past 2:00 am on Sat night so I skipped them to rest up

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, diving well, (bit warm)
    Whitney coached
    5:30 - 6:45
    swam with mike lovato & Max
    beside tyler, todd, mike V, erin, nate, & doug
    dove in 5:35ish

Warm Up
    assigned 1000
    did 600 ish

Main Set

4 x 25 fl on 30 12.5 fast 12.5 easy

4 x 50 on 35 right into
    3 x 100 on 1:10 right into
    2 x 200 on 2:20 Made it
    100 easy

4 x 25 bk on 30 12.5 fast 12.5 easy

assigned: 500 fr pull, rest 30 sec, 500 fr pull faster
    did: changed into B70 legs (my pulling equipment) did 450 fr easy to mod, rested 45 sec, then swam a strong 500 fr
    WENT 5:09, which kinda surprised me, but it was way easier than swimming pretty hard for an hour

4 x 25 br on 30 12.5 fast 12.5 easy

2 rounds of
    (5 x 100, 4 on 1:15 done 50 k 50 fr, 1 easy)

4 x 25 fr on 30 12.5 fast 12.5 easy

50 easy

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down

April 9 -11
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010