View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. C & C Pain factory

by , January 26th, 2010 at 07:43 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    OK not that much pain but C & C for Cardio and Core.

Did a 40 minute elliptical run today and felt pretty good...especially as the sinus thing has still lingered a little.

After this I hit the mat with the yoga ball for core work with kneeling plank, squat thrust and pike, side dips, hyper extensions, leg raises.

Then ditched the ball and did some crunches and leg scissors to a 4:4 count then double timed for 8.

Did my hip flexor and hamstring stretches, reverse curl stretch, cat stretch and spine extensions to finish.

Went back in and did RC raises lateral and then external rotations.

Then 1 set each lateral raises, rear delt raises and tricep extension 10lbs 10 reps.

I don't focus too much on shoulders this is just a little extra work. I think I get enough out of my swimming and core work as is to hit delts fairly good.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Tuesday /26/10

by , January 26th, 2010 at 05:47 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, solo
    I started this workout yesterday but was so tired and sore that I couldn't make the intervals on the main set, so I stopped.

300 swim free
    200 kick (did dolphin on back w/zoomers)
    300 pull choice
    (did back w/buoy only)
    6 x 50 on 1:00 alt. drill/build by 25
    (did 1-3 free, 4-6 back)

swim 3 x 150 free on 2:20, make the interval and try to descend 1-3
    (went 2:10-2:05-2:07)
    swim 2x75 free on 1:20, #2 faster than #1
    (went 1:05, 1:02)

swim 3 x 150 back on 2:45, make the interval and try to descend 1-3
    (went 2:15, 2:20, 2:15)
    swim 2 x 75 back on 1:30, #2 faster than #1
    (went 1:07, 1:03)

pull 3 x 150 free on 2:15, breathe on 3, make the interval and try to descend 1-3
    (w/p&b, went 2:05, 2:01, 1:59)
    pull 2 x 75 free on 1:15, breathe on 3, #2 faster than #1
    (w/p&b, went 1:02, :58)

swim down 100
    --
    Total: 3000 yards

Will have a strength training session with my trainer this evening.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Tuesday, Jan. 26

by , January 26th, 2010 at 03:11 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hot Yoga:

Speedo was home with a sick kid, stuck on the dread stationary bike. So we postponed our kick workout until Thursday. Given that, I decided it was an ideal time for a hot yoga session; I really needed some stretching after the last week. I decided to try the studio is Reston aka Lameton. http://www.restonyoga.com/. It was very nice, bigger than the other one I've gone to and hence less crowded. I actually came out feeling refreshed (though now I'm tired). I sent a message to Jazzy with the schedule, so he can accompany me soon.

I wanted to get an easy swim in today. However, I got a call from Mini Fort who is sick. I had to pick her up from school and go to the doc -- strep throat. Not good timing for a drama queen who is souring on swimming ...

I am getting some RC work in as I tend to sick kid.

Looking for a good sprint workout for tomorrow ...

And, oh, my arms weren't nearly as sore today from the med ball game as they were the first time. Progress!

Couple Interesting Articles from WSJ:

Hidden Fat:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...433081780.html

Food Allergies:

http://blogs.wsj.com/juggle/2010/01/...te-the-juggle/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...194645130.html

Push up:

http://askthetrainer.com/feet-elevat...n-pushups.html

Updated January 27th, 2010 at 10:15 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  4. It's Snow Ice to See You

by , January 26th, 2010 at 02:57 PM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    Now that the workers are assigned, lap counters are in, and awards came through, I have another worry to take me to meet day. The forecast for "measurable snow" on Friday into Saturday is giving more of these hairs a gray tint. Canceling a meet is the biggest disaster one could face. We went through this already during our second meet, when a storm hit at the worst possible time for making a decision. So we should have some experience with it.

The first year meet was very successful. Over a dozen emails were received complementing us on the meet - how much fun and organized it was, - and surprise that it was our first. The second meet had a 20% jump in the number entries over the first meet. But Mother Nature had a second plan.

We were watching the weather report closely all day Saturday, after different watches and warnings were issued for winter weather. With eyes to the skies, nothing was happening as we arrived at the pool for our Saturday night setup. After the usual 2-hour prep, we exited the pool to find a few small white semi-frozen ice balls and pellets falling. Upon arriving home, the dreaded nightmare began - 20 calls on my phone answering machine asking about a meet cancellation. My email inbox had about twice that number.

I answered every one and told swimmers to stay tuned to our web site (yep, I handle webmaster duties too) where announcements would be posted. First, I decided (notice the subject went from 'we' to 'I') to sit tight and not cancel anything until the conditions and facts were determined. The ice balls began to increase and small accumulations began to appear on the grassy areas. Surely the road crews had time to clear roads by tomorrow, I thought. The forecast was only for 2-4 inches of sleet changing to snow and ending before midnight. In my upstate New York hometown, that would barely keep anyone awake at night.

The ice balls turned to snow and began to show up on the roads by 9:00 PM. Good, this is following the forecast. I had to make a decision. Why did this storm need to hit at just the time when making a decision was difficult? Because I was meet director.

A trip to the NOAA web site to read up on the detailed meteorology nerd-speak was needed. It translated into the same - snow and ice falling, ending near midnight, and clearing tomorrow. I posted that forecast to our web site - our meet was still on! (based on the overnight forecast of course. Don't blame me if it doesn't pan out.)

An insignificant amount of snow could easily be handled during the overnight hours, I thought. Although not heavy, the snow continued. I read every forecast I could find online until it was time to enter dream world. I called a few team members for their advice - weather was the same where they were. Our county pools tend not to close unless the parking lots are inaccessible and the guards can't make it to work. Would we get our money back on the pool rental if we cancelled? Who will eat all the food? Should we offer a refund to all the swimmers? Or a partial refund? Have we gone too far to turn back? Will it be safe to travel?

Then, a new warning popped out - the Virginia State Police had issued a travel advisory requesting that only essential travel be out on the roads. Still, only about 1 inch on the ground. I thought Virginia was in its usual panic about a possible small amount of snow and went to bed. During my sleep, while dreaming of angry mobs with torches and pitchforks looking for a meet director who cancelled a meet, I heard ice pellets from time to time pelting the window. So, it did NOT stop in the evening.

At 7:00 the next morning, all was quiet. There were about 2 inches on the ground, and roads appeared easily passable. Nothing had come out during the night to treat my residential street. I walked to the main street, and found it had not been treated, either. What were road crews doing all night? Maybe they did not considered themselves essential travel and stayed home? Fortunately, some light traffic on the main street had kept the accumulation down, but a sleet-snow mixture covered the untreated pavement.

I loaded up the car and headed to the pool. On the way, I spotted a car in the gutter. A taxi was fishtailing and traveling up the hill on US Route 1 sideways. I made it with no trouble. It was slick, but driving was not a problem - for me. This main road was not touched by a plow blade, but the side road where the pool is located was cleared, treated, and trouble-free. The main road is cared for by state V-DOT, who contracts out care for the side streets.

At the pool, there were three swimmers from Penn State waiting at the door with a message. I was going to be killed if the meet was cancelled after they traveled 4 hours to get here. Their pitchforks were put away.

Swimmers arrived late. One official could not make it. I heard bad stories about the roads in the outlying areas people were coming from. One swimmer ended in his driveway ditch and never made it to the meet. Vehicles off the road dotted the main parkway from Washington. Still, 110 out of 150 swimmers made it to the meet that day. Before the meet was over, the sun came out and the roads were only wet.

We sent refunds to swimmers who requested them - who could not make the meet. I entered and paid for the second day of a 2-day winter meet in Richmond many years ago. Day 2 was cancelled due to an overnight storm. The team refused to give any refund or partial refund - citing 'expenses.' Seems to me that there would be some kind of savings that could be returned if a meet was not held. I vowed not to repeat their public relations faux pas, and never entered their meet again.

This year's storm is due to hit Friday into Saturday. I am hoping it stays on schedule, as there should be enough time to recover and hold the meet on Sunday. If a storm hits on Saturday, maybe we will offer refunds for those swimmers who decide to stay home. More tropical food for the rest of us.
    ANOTHER SRN CALIFORNIA LOW MOVES EAST WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
    THURSDAY. THE BLOCKING LOW OVER ONTARIO FORCES A SOUTHERLY
    TRACK...TO THE GULF OF MEXICO THURSDAY NIGHT. THE LOW THEN TRACKS
    E/NE. THE POSITION OF THE UPPER LOW FRIDAY DETERMINES THE EXACT
    TRACK BY THE MID ATLANTIC OVER THE WEEKEND. 00Z GFS OFFERS A MORE
    NORTHERLY TRACK THAN THE 00Z EURO /WHICH WAS GENERALLY DISREGARDED
    BY HPC MID RANGE/. NOW HAVE LIKELY CONFIDENCE THAT PHASING OF THE
    NRN/SRN STREAMS AND RESULTANT LOW INTENSIFICATION OFF THE MID
    ATLANTIC COAST TO BRING SNOW IN THE LATER FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY
    NIGHT TIMEFRAME. DUE TO UNCERTAINTY...NO FURTHER DETAILS AT THIS
    TIME...STAY TUNED.

HIGH PRESSURE CLEARS THE REGION OUT FOR SUNDAY/MONDAY.
    180 entries - a record

Updated January 26th, 2010 at 05:16 PM by Rnovitske (grammar)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. There's more to life than flip turns (now categorized!)

Class last night went well. Two lanes were tied up with people doing the hour swim, so I was in a shallow lane with two other women. Not a huge problem, but under the circumstances, flip turns were just not possible. One, I hate flipping in shallow water (it seriously feels like the shallow side of our pool is up to my knees); two, I hate flipping when I'm worrying about colliding with other swimmers.

So I focused more on stroke technique: wide arms, smooth hand entry, "catching" the water, pulling with high elbows to utilize a bigger surface area (elbow, forearm, hand). Feels a bit wonky, but definitely contributes to a more powerful stroke. I also tried to utilize body roll more, so that I'm not over-taxing the smaller muscles of my arms and shoulders. Started out okay, but this grew harder as the workout wore on. Still, I'm getting there, and I can feel the difference it makes when I get a good body roll going.

Not as much time for backstroke, so I focused on a good, tight streamline and DKs off each wall, as well as clean hand exit/ entry on the strokes. Also trying to really "reach/ stretch" into each stroke. Again, this is easier at the start of the workout than at the end when muscle fatigue has set in. Still, not bad, considering Sunday's yardage monster, followed by six hours' sleep. GAAAH! I really need to get to bed earlier! Night Owl, that's me.

Also, I made it a point to stretch really thoroughly right before bed, and I woke up with far fewer aches and pains this morning. Who'dve thunk?

I try to tell myself to stop fretting over flip turns. With enough time and practice, I'm sure they'll improve and hopefully become second nature. I have to remind myself continually that less than six months ago, I couldn't even somersault in the water, so for me to have a semi-consistent flip turn is pretty darned good. I should also focus on other areas of swimming, as I did last night.

One thing I'd like to do is make my freestyle open turns smoother. I was watching a classmate last night, who has very smooth, efficient open turns. I think mastering this skill would make me feel like I'm at least turning efficiently when (for whatever reason) the flips just aren't happening. Besides, it's nice to have several skills in the old repertoire.
    Dang, I really need to remember to check off a category when I post!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Tue Jan 26th 2009

by , January 26th, 2010 at 11:13 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue Jan 26th 2009

Next meet is the Austin Grand Prix

Lifted weights

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    Whitney coached
    6:30 - 8:00
    swam with brandon, nate, jon, & ritchie
    beside tyler, marcio, amy, erin, & patrickdove in on time
    wore B70 legs

Warm Up
    800 done 75 fr 25 bk

Main Set
    4 rounds of
    025 stroke fast
    050 k
    075 drill
    100 swim
    500 fr aerobic on 6:15
    went around 5:30 on #4

got out at 7:30 to make 8:00 meeting

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down

April 9 -11
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
  7. 1/25/10

by , January 26th, 2010 at 08:12 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Version of a Jackie Hirsty Workout
    WarmUp
    300 Snorkel Swim

Set 1
    2 x 150 100 P - 50 Swim 2:20
    2 x 100 50 DR - 50 Swim
    4 x 50 50 Desc :45

Set 2
    50 Kick 1:30
    50 Swim :45
    100 Swim 1:35
    150 Swim 2:20
    200 Swim 3:15
    200 Swim 3:15
    150 Swim 2:20
    100 Swim 1:35
    50 Swim :45

Set 3
    5 x 100Pull 1:40
    4 x 75 Build 1:20
    4 x 50 SPL/50 :50 32,28,27,26
    4 x50 EZ

Tot 3600

45 mins weights.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. A bad back means I need to Fly

by , January 26th, 2010 at 07:40 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My back was acting up today so the best thing for me was to do Fly and loosen it up. Amazing what a little pain will do to ward off a painful day.

2x500 Free every 3rd 25 drill
    10x50@1:00 Fly kick w/fins as 25 underwater w/board / 25 on surface
    500 Fly w/fins kick on back every 3rd on side
    10x50@1:00 Fly w/fins & paddles
    5x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    500 Free Easy middle 100 as Back

Total 3500 back loosening yards!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Running and fun

by , January 25th, 2010 at 08:06 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    A touch of a head cold today which means I stay out of the water. Nothing better than inhaling bad air to make matters worse for my sinuses and possibly send the thing south to my chest. So, wanting to move and do something today, I ran three miles on the treadmill. Actually enjoyed my dreadmill workout which is as follows:

1 mile - alternate 2 minutes at 5.5 mph with 1 minute at faster pace (6.5 mph, 7.0 mph, 7.5 mph)

1 mile - alternate 2 minutes at 6 mph with 1 minute at faster pace (7.5 mph, 8.0 mph, 8.5 mph)

1 mile - alternate 2 minutes at 3.0 mph (walk) with 1 minute at fast pace (8.5 mph, 9.0 mph, 9.5 mph, 10.0 mph)

Cool-down walk of 1/2 mile

Went downstairs to see if son was done with practice. Coach was making older kids run in the water and they were really slacking. I put suit on and got in and ran a couple of 25s with them, just to encourage them to give it their all. One or two times of me beating them was all it took for them to start picking it up and eventually go faster than I did. They put aside the pride of looking dumb and just started going nuts to be the best. Coaches loved it. Those kids don't want some middle-aged woman beating them.

Updated January 25th, 2010 at 10:39 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. DOUBLE Mon Jan 25th 2009

by , January 25th, 2010 at 05:13 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Jan 25th 2009

decided to double today

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    Whitney coached
    noon - 1:15
    swam with larry, patrick and ritchie
    beside james fike
    dove in 12:05

wore B70 legs

Warm Up
    300 fr warm up

Main Set
    lead lane on everything but the first round of
    4 x 100 on 1:05, Larry wore fins & went first

4 x 100 on 1:20

50 easy

4 x 100 on 1:15

50 easy

4 x 100 on 1:10

50 easy

4 x 100 on 1:05 Larry led, he wore fins
    made 'em

50 easy

2nd round

4 x 100 on 1:20

50 easy

4 x 100 on 1:15

50 easy

4 x 100 on 1:10

50 easy

400 fr strong from a dive
    went 4:06

50 easy

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down

April 9 -11
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. OK, Tired Now, Monday, Jan. 25

by , January 25th, 2010 at 04:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    This morning, I journeyed to the Freedom Center to play the med all game with SwimShark and show her my core-dominated dryland routine. She had been doing the Lezak routine and wanted a change. The game is very fun with a partner! The Freedom Center is a beautiful large facility. The only thing missing was a Free Motion double cable machine in the weight room and 12 and 18 inch boxes for box jumps.

Med Ball Game:

We did approximately 40-45 minutes with some rests here and there. SwimShark took a video with her nano. Next time, I think we should tape the camera to the wall (instead of propping it up on the floor) so it wouldn't be quite so focused on our asses. lol

Here is 2 minutes of the workout: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mak2y5K-1iI&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- The game[/ame]

Drylands:

I was mostly demo-ing the exercises for Alison. So I only did 1 set of 5-15 reps of the following exercises (which was definitely still a workout!):

squat swing w/25 lb plate
    rotating squat swings w/20 lb DB
    goblet squats w/60 lb DB
    overhead squats w/bar
    hanging ab work: knee ups, straight leg raises, straight leg circles, knee up-arch backs
    reverse decline crunches w/10 lb weight held by feet
    elevated knee ins w/10 lb weight held by feet
    russian twists w/25 lb plate on incline bench
    pulse ups
    dead bugs on bosu
    windshield wipers
    crunchy frogs
    oblique V ups
    squat jacks on bench w/med ball
    lateral bench hops
    squat thrust & press w/med ball
    rock star jumps
    rear delt flys
    chest flys
    narrow grip seated row (90 x 2 x 10)
    power wheel rolls outs (2 x 15)
    power wheel pike ups & knee-ins
    body rows

5-10 minutes of stretching

SwimShark agreed the power wheel provided an awesome core workout.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main set:

8 x 50 fly @ 1:00
    # 4 & 8 @ 200 pace, single arm fly on the rest
    8 x 50 dolphin kick @ 1:00
    #4 & 8 = fast, rest EZ
    50 EZ
    4 x 25, odds = fast shooter on belly, evens = EZ

8 x 50 back @ 1:00
    # 4 & 8 @ 200 pace, rest EZ
    8 x 50 backstroke kick @ 1:00
    # 4 & 8 fast, rest EZ
    50 EZ
    4 x 25, odds = fast shooter on back, evens = EZ

8 x 50 breast @ 1:10
    odds = pull w/paddles & buoy
    evens = alternate PLD & evil
    8 x 50 breast kick @ 1:05
    4 w/board, 4 w/o
    50 EZ
    4 x 25, odds = fast evil, evens = EZ

8 x 50 free @ :55
    all 8 with fins & paddles emphasizing overkick
    (yes, I know it's a lot of rest; I was tired)
    8 x 50 flutter kick w/fins & board @ :50
    # 4 & 8 = fast, rest EZ
    50 EZ
    4 x 25, odds = fast fluter kick shooter, evens = EZ

100 EZ

Total: 4600

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I have a sneaking suspicion I shall feel rather dead tonight. The med ball game is deceptive. You feel like you can play on and on, yet you're sore and tired later. I can already tell my arms will be sore like last time. (Of course, I do have the pleasure of knowing I've made Geek very jealous with all my working out today.)

I intended my swim workout to be easy aerobic swimming and drills with some fast efforts sprinkled throughout. I did more yardage than I really intended. The breaststroke segment is likely the dullest most tedious thing I've done as a masters swimmer ... The kicks were torturously slow. I really don't think I'm going to put any further effort into evil kick. I don't seem to have the patience for it.

I've also been hungry all day long. I ate lunch before swimming, but was starving mid workout. Came home and ate more and am still starving ... Ate dinner and am still starving ...

I sent my entry form for the VMST meet on Feb 13-14 out in the mail today. Swimming: 200 back, 100 breast (getting split), 50 free, 100 fly.

Hopefully, I'll sleep well tonight to make it through my kick workout with Speedo tomorrow! I'm tired!

Oh, I did have to break down and buy my kid a new suit for champs meet season. I wanted to get her a B70 kneeskin, but they aren't available until mid Feb. or so. So I ordered the Seedo elite pro/lzr. I'll probably wear the suit at the Albatross Open as well. I feel bad for my kid. She seems to be getting a whacking bad cold right before Districts and Regionals. And she's had some trouble really ramping up her training this winter; I think she still feels the effects of her bout of mono.

Gluten/Dairy Free Bars:

I found a good food bar at Whole Foods tonight with no gluten or dairy. http://www.rawindulgence.com/. I really need something portable to eat right after workouts, so I'm going to give these a try. Any other suggestions?

I also appear to have inadvertently glutened myself again as I have a telltale rash. Can't think what I could have eaten that had gluten ... It might have been something in the deviled eggs from Whole Food I ate as a late snack.

Interesting Article on the Mystery of Improvement with USAS Swimmers:

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/V...30&ItemId=1707

Updated January 26th, 2010 at 10:22 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  12. Catching up

by , January 25th, 2010 at 02:08 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I've been a bit lazy about posting so I'll use this entry to list both Friday's and Saturday's swims.

Friday 1/22/10
    Swam after work, SCY with Carrie

1600 reverse IM alt. kick swim by 25
    ( this one worried me a bit going in, especially having to finish with 400 of kick/swim fly. But the fly wasn't so bad, it was the breaststroke that killed me.)

swim 8 x 50 on 1:00 build to 75-80% choice
    Did these in IM order 2x through

12 x 25 choice all out on 1:00: really work on getting going on these!
    Also in OM order, 3x through

swim down 300 choice

Total: 2600 yards

------------------
    Saturday, 1/23/10
    SCY, solo

200 free
    400 Reverse IM alt. kick/swim by 25
    200 pull, 100 free/100 back
    200 dolphin kick on back w/zoomers
    200 back

swim 8 x 200 on 3:30: odds free, evens no free; descend evens to fast last one.
    (odds: went 3:00->2:50 on free;
    did back on evens, went 3:15->3:05)

swim down 8 x 25 free on :30

Total: 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Cheating Suit Maximus vs. Cheating Suit Lite: A case study

by , January 25th, 2010 at 01:25 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Our little region of the earth is not all that big on USMS participation, but we are very big on YMCA masters swimming. From September to April, there are meets held almost every other week. The pools are not always ideal, and those accustomed to plenty of rest between events would definitely be disappointed. A typical time line is warm up from 11-12; Star Spangled Banner; meet starts around 12:07, and is over by 3:00 or 3:30 at the latest.

You can swim 4 events, plus relays, for $7. It's actually a great way to practice racing different events. I have come to think of these meets as high quality sprint-and-strategy practices.

During the last two of these meets, held the Grove City Y on Jan. 10, and the Allegheny Valley Y yesterday, Jan. 24, I swam the exact same events but used different suits.

(In between, on Jan. 17, there was the 1-hour postal swim held at Carnegie Mellon University.)

The Grove City meet, I used my B70.

The Allegheny Valley meet, I used a somewhat old Tyr Aquapel, which I had purchased last year for less than $60.

I had planned to swim in jammers yesterday to better compare the old world as we knew it (where B70s were legal) with the new world that we must get accustomed to soon enough (where only jammers will be allowed.) However, in between meets, USMS ruled that body suits will be legal for the rest of this year's yards season, so I figured I might as well use up all my old suits.

Leslie recommended saving my B70 for a bigger meet than the ones held in our Amish mudholes.

But I wasn't yet psychologically ready to give up the crutch altogether that I have become so used to.

So I decided to compare the B70 times against the non-flotation-style body suit that doesn't cost very much. Both suits, it should be noted, are kneeskins and provide the same amount of body coverage.

The B70 feels pretty much as tight and compressing as it ever did.

(I wore suit on right)

The Tyr, on the other hand, is noticeably stretched out (though not yet sagging) from its original couple swims.

(I wore a different color)

Hypothesis: The B70 would prove significantly faster in all four events--the 100 free, 50 free, 25 fly, and 500 free.

Results: B70 times in blue; Tyr Aquapel times in brown.

I will also bold the better swims of each comparison pair.

EV #2 M/F 100YD FREESTYLE

AGE GROUP: 55-59
    1 JIM THORNTON 57 M SEWY 53.35
    25.74 27.61

1 JIM THORNTON 57 M SEWY 54.35
    26.06 28.29

EV #6 M/F 50YD FREESTYLE

1 JIM THORNTON 57 M SEWY 25.16

1 JIM THORNTON 57 M SEWY 24.80

EV #10 M/F 25YD BUTTERFLY

1 JIM THORNTON 57 M SEWY 12.92

1 JIM THORNTON 57 M SEWY 11.87

EV #12 M/F 500YD FREESTYLE

1 JIM THORNTON 57 M SEWY 5:34.13
    29.29 33.64 34.73 34.65 32.75 35.19 34.93 34.76 33.58 30.61

1 JIM THORNTON 57 M SEWY 5:27.62
    28.95 32.50 33.56 32.96 34.78 33.85 33.79 33.61 34.03 29.59

Discussion

My hypothesis held up in only one of the four events, albeit the marquee event in many swimmer's eyes: the 100 free.

After swimming a full second slower in the Tyr than I had two weeks earlier in the B70, I felt sure that the remainder of my times would be proportionately slower as well. Thus, I was, if anything, entering these races with a "nocebo effect" mindset, which--had I done worse--might have been an alternative explanation for why I did worse.

My 50, however, was .36 faster in the textile suit. The 25 fly, which was hand-timed (as opposed to the other swims), probably doesn't count too much, because it's always a crap shoot how the hand timers are going to do.

But the 500 represented a significant drop--6.5 seconds--in the textile suit vs. the B70.

Both the 100 and 500 discrepancies might be explained, at least a little, by strategic differences. When I swam the 53.35, for instance, I felt more controlled and less "thrashy" than I did when I swam the 54.35. And I probably tried somewhat harder in the 5:27.62 500 than I did in the 5:34.13 one.

Moreover, the sample group of one person and two meets is not statistically significant in any way, shape, or form.

Nonetheless, the fact that in 3 out of 4 events, my hypothesis did not hold up makes me think that it is possible that something other than suit composition (neoprene-like vs. textile) can occasionally make a difference in my swimming performances.

Leslie used to argue this quite a bit. Who knows? Perhaps the dear girl was partly correct after all?

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Mon Jan 25th 2009

by , January 25th, 2010 at 10:26 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Jan 25th 2009

did a quick weight workout on Sun

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    Whitney coached
    5:30 - 6:30
    swam with todd, mike, & nate
    beside tyler, ned, amy & max
    dove in 5:40ish

wore B70 legs

Warm Up
    300 fr warm up

Main Set

5 x 100 on 1:20

50 easy

5 x 100 on 1:15

50 easy

5 x 100 on 1:10

50 easy

5 x 100 on 1:05
    lead lane on this set
    made 'em

50 easy

5 x 100 on 1:05
    made em

50 easy

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down

April 9 -11
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Did not sleep well

by , January 25th, 2010 at 07:45 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Was up alot during the night but still got up in the morning for practice. Was determined that even though sprinting was not something I could even contemplate I would still try a few.

10x100@1:40 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins as 100EZ/100Fast/100EZ/100Fast/100EZ
    500 kick w/fins as 100BK/100Fly/50BK Sprint/100 BK/50Fly Sprint/100Fly
    500 Free w/paddles & bouy went 7:05
    10x50@1:00 Free every 3rd Sprint went 36, 35, 35 just didn't have the energy today
    500 Free easy every 3rd 1 arm drill

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. More Flip Turns

Did a two-hour workout today (3100 yds), including about half an hour of flip turn drills. Definitely feel like I have the freestyle turn down. The backstroke turn is slower coming along. I'm also starting to leave aside the nose clip and exhale hard through my nose when I turn. I've never been really comfortable with the nose clip, because I like to breathe through my nose, and having the clip on also makes swallowing hard, which can get uncomfortable. So, hopefully the nose clip will soon become a thing of the past. But I never would have even learned flip turns without that nifty little thing, so all hail the nose clip!

Goodnight, everyone!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Sunday Addendum

by , January 24th, 2010 at 09:51 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    For anyone out there who has been suffering from sinus, ear, nose and throat issues this winter I think I have the cure!
    # 1 - get some mucinex D (the kind for sinus and nasal congestion) and take it in the morning.
    # 2 - Go to the "Health Food Store" and get some ear candles. Find a buddy to help you w/ ear candles; you don't want to burn your hair (or ears) off. The ear candles will pull all the ear and deep throat junk up. I feel 100% better and my nose is running 75% less than before!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. For whom the bell tolls

Today I swam at the Winter Blitz Meet at Eisenhower Park on Long Island (results are here). It was a fun and efficiently run meet, with about 110 swimmers, and with 10 competition lanes it ran pretty quickly—we were done before noon.

My goals for this meet were modest—I mostly signed up for it just to give myself some motivation for training over the holidays, and was looking forward to the socializing as much as the swimming today. I opted for a fairly tough schedule, and was mostly pleased with the results.

400 IM: 5:33.43
    FL 36.08 41.23
    BK 42.68 41.91
    BR 48.79 47.60
    FR 38.00 37.14
    The overall time seemed a little sluggish, but I was pretty happy with the way I split the race.

500 FR: 6:11.42 (3:05.91, 3:05.51)
    I was pleased with the way I swam this, but maybe the thing that made me the very happiest was that I got to have one of those little bells rung to indicate my last lap. I don’t swim distance free events often, and when I do I’m rarely anywhere near the lead, so I’ve never—not as an age-group or a masters swimmer—been the swimmer they ring the bell for in a pool event, and in truth I’ve always felt a bit jealous of those who get to have true bell laps to end their swims. As a kid I thought it would be only fair if they rang bells for 100s too. But at this meet they had bells for all the lanes. I noticed it as I was waiting behind the block, and even asked my timer to ring it extra loud for me for me when the time came. I swam happy the whole race just thinking about that silly bell, and hearing it must have given me the extra energy I needed to knock a couple of seconds off my last split! (I was also pulled along by my swim friend Barbara in the next lane).
    (Full splits: 34.2, 36.8, 37.8, 38.5, 38.4, 36.9, 37.7, 37.7, 37.7, 35.3)

200 IM: 2:37.49 (34.71, 39.27, 46.58, 36.93)
    This was a too comfortable swim—I just never seemed to get going, and then it was over.

100 IM: 1:10.62 (32.41, 38.21)
    After my 200 I resolved to go after this one, and I went out fast the first 25. It felt great. The rest of the swim was ok. After a day of swimming longer stuff it reminded me how fun it is just to sprint, and not worry so much about pacing.

Congrats to Quicksilver for his seriously fast backstroke swims!

I think my next meet will be the March 7 Spring Fling at this same venue.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Sunday Drylands

by , January 24th, 2010 at 07:21 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Weight-lifting guru advised me that I should start to back down on number of sets since I am not completely going off of weights at 3 weeks out. So, cut back a little today. Never realized how much weights take it out of you until I cut back. Chiro said lifting heavy uses a lot more energy than people often think it does.

Jump rope: 100 skips, 100 fast jumps

Squats: 55 x 20

Push-ups: 2 sets of 15 with bosu ball

Lat pull-downs: 1 set of 100 x 10

Ls - 1 set of 10

Bicycle crunches: 1 set of 100

Incline sit-ups: 2 sets of 25

Back extensions; 2 sets of 15

Lower back/lift hip area is much better. Seems the more I do, the better it feels. I think the stiffness came on when the pool was shut down in mid-December and I did pretty much did nothing that week. Next time, I'll at least run a few days. Anyway, not taking any chances with the lower back, so avoided doing any weighted core work.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. By request

by , January 24th, 2010 at 05:58 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Lazy wife thought I had to post this. Today's bike was 3 hour 35 minutes in two parts separated by a 10 minute latte break (I needed some carbs). That was after 2200M kick w/o fins but all before lunch.

I have been taking it easy this afternoon.

Ribs: Same. Three people have told me they will hurt until they are completely better and then I will just wake up pain free.
    Categories
    Uncategorized