View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. More Solo Lactate, Sunday, Jan. 24

by , January 24th, 2010 at 04:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 various

Drill Sets:

5 x 100 single arm fly (r,l,r,l per length) @ 1:45

8 x 50 breast pull w/pull buoy @ 1:00

50 EZ

Hypoxic Kick Set:
    (w/MF)

10 x shooters @ :30
    odds = left side
    evens = right side
    :30 second rest

10 x 50 easy speed double shooters @ 1:00
    (went 25-26)
    :30 seconds rest

10 x shooters on belly @ :30

100 EZ

Lactate Set:

6 rounds w/fins @ 5:00 of:

50 backstroke kick @ 85% @ :45
    50 backstroke @ 100% @ XX
    100 EZ

Went approx:

26.5/25.5
    25.5/25
    25/24.5
    25/25
    25/25
    25/25.5

Total: 4000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Cage Fighter and I arrived at the Rec Center at the same time. We shared a lane, though we were doing vastly different workouts. It was much better than sharing a lane with a noodle doing wide breaststroke kicks! I urged him again to sign up for USMS & Zones. He said he might join Pete and I for our hour kick set on Tuesday.

The lactate set was a modification of one Jim C. did a couple days ago. He did 75s stroke at 80%; I did 50 kick at 85% instead. 75s aren't ideal in this pool b/c I can't see the clock well at one end. This set was much harder than just doing 6 x 50, which I've done before. My legs were burning on the last 25.

Tomorrow, I'm heading out to the Freedom Center in the am to do the RA med ball game with SwimShark. She reserved the court for one hour. It will be interesting to see if we can do our weights & core afterward!

2010 Meets:

VMST David Gregg III Memorial Meet
    Richmond VA
    February 13-14
    http://www.pvmasters.org/entry/vmst0210.pdf

I've filled out my entry form. I'm going to swim the 200 back on Saturday and the 200 breast (for a 100 split), 50 free and 100 fly on Sunday. I'm trying to get as much rest as I can between events on Sunday, which is why I chose these. I was considering swimming the 200 back on Sunday, but I think I'd be fried for the rest of the day after that. This could be my only 50 free of the year ... I am probably going to opt for the 100 back at Zones, and the 50 free is right after that. (Same situation at SCY Nats.) Though I could get a 50 free split in my open 100 free at Zones, I guess.

Albatross Open
    Bethesda, MD
    March 20
    https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1409&smid=1992

Colonies Zones
    Fairfax, VA
    April 24-25
    http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...2010.Entry.pdf

USMS Nationals
    Atlanta, GA
    May 20-23
    http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats10/

Updated January 24th, 2010 at 10:38 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Sat Jan 23rd, 2010

by , January 24th, 2010 at 04:30 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat Jan 23rd, 2010

Next meet is the Austin Grand Prix

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    Whitney coached
    7:30 - 9:00
    swam with amy, nate, & ritchie
    beside todd, tyler, marcio
    dove in on time

wore B70 legs

Warm Up

Main Set

5 x 300 on 4:00 desc
    went 3:00 on #5

4 x 25
    4 x 50

5 x 300 desc on 4:00

4 x 75
    4 x 100

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down

April 9 -11
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Sunday Morning :)

by , January 24th, 2010 at 02:56 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Nasti's Practice. Yesterday I heard there were over 50 people at practice. I'm glad I opted to swim with the Monon group and get a longer challenging workout. Today there were probably at least 40 swimmers. My lane worked together fine and I think we all had a good swim!

*800 warm-up freestyle swim
    *8 X 75 on 1:30 (odds free/evens IM or stroke)
    *5 X 100 Free on 1:45
    *2 X 200 Free on 3:30
    *2 X 150 Free on 2:30
    *4 X 50 Stroke (I did fly)
    *4 X 25 fly on :45 hard
    *4 X 25 flutter kick on :45 Hard
    3,000 scy

Time for the big game! Go Colts!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Attached To You

by , January 23rd, 2010 at 07:05 PM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    At•tach |əˈta ch |
    verb
    bind, fasten, tie, or connect;
    to make fast or join;
    as in 'attach a copy of your USMS card here'
    • fasten (a related document) to another;
    • include (a condition) as part of an agreement'
    ORIGIN Middle English (in the sense [seize by legal authority] ): from Old French atachier or estachier ‘fasten, fix,’ based on an element of Germanic origin related to stake

What is up with the inability to read, comprehend, and perform? What does a box with "Attach USMS card here" mean to you? (Right. It means the meet director will cut out your card and attach it for you.) About 70% of meet entries come with the card copied on a loose full size piece of paper stuffed into the envelope with the entry and check. Can we afford online registration next year, please?

With a week away, the meet seems to be coming together. Most timer slots are now filled, but the take down chores after the meet remain unpopular. The lap counter cards delivery by Fed Ex on Friday brought a smile to my face.

I called Hasty Awards to ask where our awards are. I was told they are in transit and should be arriving Monday. This is news.

Three years ago, the ribbon awards came printed with a different font than we used in previous meets. This year I requested that Hasty be sure to match previous years, so we don't have two styles of ribbons. I was told (January 6) that a proof would be sent to me for approval. There was no proof - there was no approval. The awards are printed and in transit. I hope they are what they are supposed to be.

The equipment chairman says the stopwatches are all set. Time to wrap my brain around the entries received today, the next to last mail delivery before the deadline. Some statistics please…

One entry remains without a USMS card. This poor gal was notified twice in the past two weeks, and wrote back that she would be sending it in. Thus far, nothing.

Three phone calls and six emails asked for deadline extensions. Half of those entries have been received on time. In this area and with few exceptions, mail has been delivered to our post office box the day after it is postmarked.

Two swimmers sent cash as payment.

A local guy belonging to Egypt masters entered our meet again this year. It was a problem for me two years ago, because his card was in Arabic. I don't do Arabic. A friend of mine does, and translated for me - his card was expired. It was renewed before the meet. This year's card is valid. Did you know that the Egypt Masters card has the swimmer's color photo on it?

Three entries were received with no individual events entered - never happened before. Only the (no-fee) deck-entered relay events were circled. I have two of these swimmers now in the meet and straightened out, pointing out the rule in the meet announcement stating that this is not acceptable. I await to hear from the third.

I am guessing about 50% of the entries are from swimmers who have entered our meet two or more times in the past.

The last two days saw 39 entries arrive - 27%.

143 entries to date

Updated January 24th, 2010 at 01:36 PM by Rnovitske (grammar)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Kids in the bath water

by , January 23rd, 2010 at 05:42 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Yes today we had bath water not pool water. It was so hot that only drill work could be done in the 84 degree temps. That is the temp reported but it felt more like 86 to me and the kids.

500 Free
    5x100@1:45 Free
    40x25 various drills and strokes
    5x100@2:00 IM as drill fly, pull back, kick breast and swim free
    200 Free w/paddles & bouy
    200 Back w/paddles & bouy
    100 Free easy
    visit to hottub not much hotter than the pool was.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. I hate Vinyasa, Saturday, Jan. 23

by , January 23rd, 2010 at 04:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Run:

The sun shone and the temperature eeked up to 40 degrees today, so I opted for a run. Did my usual 5 mile zen run loop. Stopped for a quick chat and walked an up. It was quite divine.

Yoga:

I tried the Solar Flow option on the Yogi Shakti DVD this afternoon. I could only stomach about 15-20 minutes of it. I never want to hear or do the vinyasa sequence chataranga-upward dog-downward dog again. Perhaps I would have liked some of the other segments of the video better, but I didn't like the first part for sure. I think I may need to stick to bikram or power yoga.

In any event, I plugged in the P90X yoga DVD my friend gave me. It's also 90 minutes. I did about an hour of it. There was some vinyasa flow work, which I fast forwarded through as I didn't want to do it again. Otherwise, it seemed to have a lot of different movements from different yoga disciplines without any spirituality attached. I didn't get to the last 30 minutes of seated stretching (always my fav). I'll do that tomorrow. I would do this one again.

I'm definitely hitting the pool tomorrow and hoping the crowds aren't too bad. Hoping to do a lactate set. I didn't swim as much as usual this week. I am still aiming for 5x per week, which is my norm. Hopefully, I won't feel like a terd again tomorrow.

Suits:

FYI, I heard that Roque Santos, having left B70, is desiging his own line of new tech suits. The women's suit is supposed to come up slightly higher in the back.

Updated January 23rd, 2010 at 06:29 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running , Yoga
  7. Saturday Swim

by , January 23rd, 2010 at 11:10 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Sat. A.M. at the Monon Center with a group of assorted people I've known for a long time. They tend to go about 5,000 yds. on Sat. morning. Lately Nasti has been super crowded on the week-ends and we are lucky to get 2,500 in during a practice. If I'm going to do the 10K swim I feel like I need to get used to swimming longer than an hour.
    I arrived a little late and they started a bit early but here's what I did at least. I'm not at all sure of the intervals. I didn't get much rest on anything. Where I did 5 X 350 there were a couple folks that did 400's. I couldn't make their interval.

* 6 X 50 Kick (1 min int) fins
    * 8 X 50 Free Drill (fist down, armpit back0 (1 min int probably)
    *5 X 350 swim immediately followed by 100 Kick hard (? int)
    *4 X 50 Stroke Hard (1:10?)
    *4 X 25 Stroke Hard (:40?)
    *200 Kick Time Trial no fins
    *8 X 75 (25 sprint,50 moderate and roll the sprint 25) (?fast)
    *4 X 50 Free w/paddles on :50
    4,200 scy

I should have pushed this a little harder. I'm not tired at all and will most likely go running here in a little bit.
    YESTERDAY CHIROPRACTOR:
    I am going to schedule the rest of my appointments after a swim so I'll be loose and tired. Yesterday I didn't swim. I was mentally spent, tight, and stressed from a l-o-n-g non-stop day at school. I went straight to the chiro and it seemed like she was rushing through the adjustment. It was very uncomfortable. When she started snapping my neck I tightened up even more (I was nervous because I knew it would hurt). My good side felt like whip lash; when she started on the bad side I tried to breath and relax (I had 3 over 9 lb. kids with no pain med. back in the day) but I couldn't! I just couldn't will myself to relax and work with her on this. She flipped me over and tried it in another position but it even felt worse. She finally got a thumper machine out and ran it along the painful area; she said it did the same thing as the adjustment. I did feel pretty good when I left the office but I didn't like it at all. Is chiropractic supposed to hurt? I have always been protective of my spine/neck; painful snapping just seems wrong to me. I guess I'll swim before I go next week and see if the situation improves.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Good swimming week

by , January 22nd, 2010 at 09:47 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Once again I got 4 swims in for the week. A big deal for me! My total yardage this week was over 15,000 yards. Hooray! Most I've done in a very long time.

Warm-up: 4 x 100 easy swim on 1:50

8 x 50 on :55 - Felt good on these. Did free and held around 30 to 31.

12 x 25 on :35 - 3 of each stroke

200 pull on 2:45

8 x 75 on 1:15 - 50 hard, 25 easy - did free

8 x 75 on 1:20 - 50 pace, 25 hard - did free

2 x 300 kick with fins on 4:30 -Did first one back dolphin. Second one did 100 back dolphin, 100 free kick with board, and did last 100 back kick.

100 easy

3300 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. IM/Monofin Day 1/22/10

by , January 22nd, 2010 at 09:36 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Did another Jackie Hirsty workout today. I had it in the pile and dug it out last night. I took the monofin in too and decided I would find a set to adapt to MF work.
    Warm Up
    300 FR

Set 1
    200IM drill-Swim by 25 3:30
    150 Kick/Swim IMO flyless 3:00
    4 x 50 Choice cant remember if I did all FR or not.

Set 2
    4x200 as:
    Free 3:30
    100 FR. 50 BR, 50 FR 3:30
    50 FR, 50 BK, 50 BR, 50FR 3:45
    200 IM swam it in about 3:00

4x200as:
    100 IM 1:45
    50 BK 1:30
    50 BR 1:30

4x100 as:
    50 FR :45
    25 BK :40
    25 BR :35

Set 3 (Monofin time)
    4 x 200 as:
    100 K on back hands down 2:00
    50 K hard on 1:00
    50 K sprint on 1:00

Cool

3800 in about 85mins

The kick set at the end got pretty tiring but it felt good to get it all done.
    Lifted after...definitely feeling more power still...think I'll stick with muscle milk now...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Good Friday Practice

by , January 22nd, 2010 at 06:43 PM (My Passion)
    Practice was hard today, but kind of fun too. Started with a 200 warm-up, then 2 X 100's on 1:30 After that, we did:
    7 X 50 free sprint with a 25 head up kick with a board between each one - came out to 500 yards.
    We did another set of free and then one breast (I enjoyed the breast one the most ).
    Another set 5 X 50 breast with a 25 kick in between each one and a 300 cool down - 2500 yards and time went by quickly - because I was not miserable with the workout!!!!
    Tomorow morning practice with my other team will start off the weekend wonderfully!!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Friday, Jan. 22

by , January 22nd, 2010 at 03:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Spin

Did 30 minutes on the bike today. Nothing to rival Q, but slightly more than Speedo. :-P This was mostly warm up and to get some aerobic work in.

Drylands:

oblique V ups, 4 x 25
    alternating hammers, 15 x 2 x 30
    squat X press w/ 15 lb DBs, 1 x 25 (forgot second set)
    standing single arm push on double cable machine, 30 x 2 x 10, each arm
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 2 x 20
    russian twist on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
    snatch windmill, 15 x 2 x 15, each arm
    Icarian incline level row, 2 x 15*
    broad jumps, 1 x 10
    box jumps, 2 x 10
    CF jumping push ups w/12 inch bench, 5 x 15 consecutive (this really gets the heart rate up)

Tabata jump rope
    (8 rounds, 20 seconds @ 100%, 10 seconds rest)
    I did about 50 jumps very 20 seconds.

* I couldn't tell how much I was lifting b/c there was no weight printed on the lever part. Here's the machine: http://www.precor.com/images/equipment/315/pl311_1.png. I liked this machine --- pulling without the overhead motion involved.

RC:

seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    tricep kickbacks, 7.5 x 2 x 15, each arm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I spent about 1.5 hours in the gym, and felt like I got in a solid workout. I had planned to do yoga later today, but my plans were thwarted by a gaggle of high school girls and the need to drive them about. I'm officiating at the meet tonight, so I'm hoping to get in yoga tomorrow am. Mini Fort says she will join me (if she doesn't sleep until noon).

I'm very excited about the suit ruling for SCY, as anyone would expect. I'm anxious to get an "apples to apples" comparison of my times while altering my training regimen. I'm not doing heavy lifting this season; I can tell I've lost some raw strength already. But perhaps I'm compensating with an even stronger core and more plyos.

One interesting note wrt Geek's comment yesterday. Mr. Fort was reading Joe Friel's The Cyclists' Training Bible last night. Friel stated that one of the most common mistakes endurance athletes make is to solider on with a planned hard workout rather than listening to their body and resting when/if necessary. That thought made me glad I revised my workout yesterday!

Updated January 23rd, 2010 at 04:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning
  12. Reform Haiku Illustrated

by , January 22nd, 2010 at 03:28 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    I've set myself a little unofficial rule for my vlog here, which is to not post anything new till the last thing I posted has gleaned at least 100 views.

My last posting, Indentured Servant Available for Immediate Joblock ( http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=7506 ), took seemingly forever to reach this level.

The reasons for such laggardliness in viewing, I suspect, are:

• It was too long
    • It didn't have anything to look at
    • Nobody wants to read about my misery

What I think people really want to do is to look at my misery. If there must be verbal commentary, this should be kept mercifully short.

Today's vlog is an attempt to re-do the last one in much more reader-friendly terms.

Reform Haiku

Driving club men force

the G.O.P.'s health care jig--

Dance, monkey man, dance!

Indentured Servant Health Care Monkey Jim
    Being Shown Off at the Club*

--If by any chance this peaks your interest and you have not already taken a look, I invite the more readerly viewers to visit the original rant at:Indentured Servant Available for Immediate Joblock ( http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=7506 )

* Thanks to my beloved twin brother Johnny Boy for actualizing and improving upon my nightmarish visions of myself. I wonder if the caddy has noticed the advertisement for Countrywide Mortgage?

Updated January 22nd, 2010 at 04:54 PM by jim thornton

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Flip Turn Woes, Reposted

Worked on my flip turns in class last night, which are rusty after using open turns for the hour swim.

Learned a new trick for backstroke flip turns: judging distance to the wall when my feet, rather than my head, pass under the flags. At that point, I only need one backstroke pull before turning over and doing one freestyle pull right down into the somersault. This seems a more effective technique for getting myself into the right spot to initiate the turn.

Also discussed with coach the wide-feet trick Tracy Grilli uses on backstroke turns. Since KP-N also uses this in freestyle, it seems a neat trick for getting more oomph off a flip turn. My problem seems to be not going into the wall with enough power, not tucking tightly enough in the somersault, and an awkward foot plant. All these things are combining to give me the worlds most soggy flip turns; at this point, they're slow as a horse & buggy, but at least I have a sense of what I need to work on. Got to get back into the water and do some basic drills.

[Please God, I am NOT getting sick. I have a party tomorrow and I want to swim on Sunday, so please tell me the weird thing my stomach is currently doing is not a developing case of gastric nasties. Amen.]

OTOH, I tried the tip from the AP backstroke DVD of "sliding" the hips and lo! It really does work. I felt like a rocket going through the water. It looks a little funny when you watch the video, but it definitely adds some momentum to the stroke.

ETA: Reposted to include a category.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Fri Jan 22nd, 2010

by , January 22nd, 2010 at 08:36 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri Jan 22nd, 2010

hurt My back yesterday, Think it happened when I did all that getting out of the pool and diving back in in yesterday's practice.

Next meet is the Austin Grand Prix

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    Whitney coached
    5:30 - 6:45
    swam with Mike todd, tyler, nate, & doug
    brandon & Amy

dove in 5:45

wore B70 legs

Warm Up
    missed

Main Set

assigned: 3 rounds of
    50 fast 50 easy
    100 fast 100 easy
    200 fast 200 easy

round 1 went 29, 59, 1:59

round 2 went 1:58

round 3 went 1:54

50 FAST for time
    did 25 SDK 12.5 SDK 12.5 bk
    went 25.0

50 easy

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down 41 days away

April 9 -11
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown 77 days away

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN 118 days away
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Another long course Friday

by , January 22nd, 2010 at 08:08 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Wanted to just swim easy but did force myself to do a little bit of sprinting.

5x400@:30R
    #1 Free
    #2 Free kick w/fins & snorkle proper body position
    #3 as 50rt arm, 50lt arm, 50finger drag, 50fist repeated twice
    #4 Free w/paddles & bouy
    #5 Free good pace went 6:31

500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    5x100@2:00 Free sprint 30 meter sprints from 15 meter mark in to wall and back out to mark
    300 Free Easy

Total 3300 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. 01-21-10 Folsom

by , January 21st, 2010 at 11:54 PM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Sometimes I wish I could stay for the entire workout, these partial workout's are driving me bananas. But I have to squeeze the pool time in somewhere and I'm thankful I have options and they are convenient. The BK flags were gone, perhaps ripped off by the 40-60 mph winds yesterday. Starting to get to know folks, guess they had to see me show up on a regular basis!

Folsom Marlins Coach Darin on deck

LCM
    Warm - (700)400FR, 100 snorkel 100 BK, 100BR.
    Main - Broken 1500
    500, 400, 300, 200, 100. des
    100 cool and hit the showers.

Haven't had much to brag about lately, just your average medium speed on the slow side swimmer, commuter, state worker in IT trying to stay fit and healthy.
    Someday, I just might swim at a higher velocity.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. AEROBIC DAY

Coach was MIA today... rumor has it he took a spill snowboarding, I hope he is not injured.
    I showed up a little early and knocked out 10x 100 @ 1:30 holding 1:10's on 13SPL. As the masters started getting in, I pulled another 1000 while everyone warmed up. I wanted to do a nice long aerobic set, so took advantage of coach's absence and wrote a quick set on the board. I don't know how well this set was received in the other lanes, but most were out of the pool before we finished.

Ed and I were joined by Lucas the 15 year old son of another team mate... and he was elected to lead us through our day's mission:

5x 200 on 2:45
    5x 200 on 2:40
    ez 50
    5x 200 on 2:35
    ez 50
    5x 200 on 2:30
    100 cool down

I held sub 2:20's on all but the last 2. Lucas looked like he was holding sub 2:05's and did half the set backstroke.... ah to be 15.....
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Thursday's Icing

by , January 21st, 2010 at 10:20 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I was awakened at 5:25 to the announcement of a 2 hour delay. I love 2 hour delays! They make the work day just about the right length and we never have to make them up!
    Unfortunately our neighboring city Noblesville shut school down for the day soooo.. no Nasti practice tonight
    I ended up swimming solo again in the hot and gelatinous thick La Fitness pool. I was tired so I let myself off easy tonight. Here's the swim:

*200 Freestyle 3:30 int
    *2 X 100 Freestyle 1:45 int
    *4 X 50 1:00 int
    *100 flutter kick hard-no fins
    *****rest 30 seconds*****
    *200 Backstroke 3:45 int
    *2 X 100 Backstroke 2:00 int
    *4 X 50 Backstroke 1:00 int
    *100 Flutter kick back hard-no fins
    +++++rest 30 seconds++++++
    *200 IM 4:00 int
    *2 X 100 IM 2:00 int
    *4 X 50 IM Roll order rest :15
    *100 Dolphin kick on back w/fins
    ******rest 30 sec******
    *2 X 200 Freestyle 3:30 int
    *2 X 100 Backstroke 2:00 int
    *4 X 50 Free on :55 int
    *EZ reverse 100 IM cool-down
    3,000 scy

I just noticed Cirque-de-Soliel is in Indy this February! (I think its called Allegra or something like that)
    I am psyched! I've seen Mystere, Delerium, "O", KA, "Love", and one other that I cannot recall the name of. The athletes of Cirque de Soliel are amazingly flexible, strong, and uber talented! I can't wait!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. What to do when you can't make up your mind

by , January 21st, 2010 at 09:22 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Auburn is one of those meets where you pay a flat fee instead of paying by the event. I'll be somewhat rested for this meet, but not fully tapered. My big taper meet will be Nationals. Anyway, since it is not my big taper meet, I may try some different stuff. I'm going to sign up for 4 or 5 events a day and just make up my mind when I get there. I doubt I will swim 5 events in one day, but will leave my options open. Most likely, I'll end up just swimming 3 a day.

Since I'm not looking for super grand performances, I may swim the 500 afterall. This is one of the events I have contemplated for Nationals. I will only do this if I decide not to swim an event I haven't done in 15 years - the 100 fly. I think the last time I did this event was at a meet 15 years ago. Can't remember the last time I did a 100 fly in practice without fins. I tried it today at the end of a practice and it was not pretty, but I made it. If I can go under a 1:10 at Auburn, I might consider swimming it at Nationals. I'll have three months to hopefully train for it and learn how to swim it again.

One of the kids that paced me simply could not understand why I can go a 32.3 in 50 LCM fly but be worried I can't break a 1:10 in 100 SCY fly. I assured her that I have always died like a dog in my fly and that age has not helped matters one bit. I can remember doing swims in college where the difference between my first 50 and second 50 was 5 seconds. If I was doing this at 18 and in good shape, I'm not sure I want to think about what I would do now.

So, I'm signing up for the 100 I.M, 50 free, 100 back, and 50 fly on Saturday. For Sunday, I'm signing up for the 500 free, 100 fly, 50 back, 100 free, and 200 back. Fort is wise - no 200 I.M. as the last event on the last day. That could only feel like pure death. Kind of wanted to redeem myself from last year because my asthma was giving me big problems, so I just had to take it very easy on the 200 I.M. Anyway, think I'll skip that.

Asked the two age-group coaches their opinion on events to enter. Both suggested 50, 100 fly, 100 I.M, 100, 200 free. Both of them insist that I am not a 50 freestyler. Not fast enough turnover and just don't swim it like a sprinter. I'd think about the 200 free, but it is right before the 50 fly, so it is out.

Speaking of practice, here is what I did today:

16 x 25 on :30 - Did this as a warm-up - mix of strokes in here

1 minute rest

8 x 50 on 1:00 - did all dolphin kick with no fins

1 minute rest

4 x 100 on 1:30 - Did free and was able to hold at 1:05 to 1:08 on these.

1 minute rest

2 x 200 on 3:00 - Did back with paddles

1 minute rest

4 x 100 on 1:45 - did fly kick without board and held each 100 under 1:25

1 minute rest

8 x 50 on 1:10 - Did free - held around 30s

1 minute rest

16 x 25 on :45 - mixed it up with free, back and fly

300 easy

Kick sets on 1:15 no rest between sets and no fins:

5 x 50 dolphin kick on back (no fins)

5 x 50 kick on side

3 x 50 tombstone breast kick

200 easy

100 fly pace

100 easy

4150 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. The Origins of Drafting

by , January 21st, 2010 at 06:40 PM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk3S7zz2TiM"]YouTube- NPR Science: Deer Mouse Sperm Cluster To Swim Faster[/ame]

Updated January 21st, 2010 at 06:42 PM by Chicken of the Sea (wrong link)

Categories
    Uncategorized