View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Twice Foiled! Sat., Aug. 7

by , August 7th, 2010 at 07:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I was foiled twice today in my attempts to swim. But this time it wasn't thunder and lightening. Much more prosaic -- the dreaded kid pooping in the pool mid workout and a red flag day at the beach. I seem to get more aggravated with every increasing kid incident. (And, for the record, my 3 kids never closed down a pool.) And this time, the kids weren't even supposed to be in the lap pool at the Y ... So all I got in was the following warm up, which was supposed to precede some fast 25s and 50s.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Transition Sets:

5 x 50 single arm fly @ :15 RI

5 x 50 breast drill (alternating dolphin kick and breast kick) @ 1:00

3 x:

1 x 50 breast pull w/buoy
    1 x 100 free w/paddles

Total: 1650

Kid turd interruption ... I guess I'm officially "tapering" now ...

I dashed back to the beach to hop in and do a pier to pier swim, but no dice. It was a red flag day and the lifeguards weren't letting swimmers out very deep, certainly not past the surfers. So, another poor swimming day. I plan to attempt to hit the Y again tomorrow, as I suspect it will be another red flag day due to tropical storms at sea. In the meantime, I did finish the Stieg Larsson series and we did manage to rent the Swedish movie of book #1. I wouldn't be surprised if there were ultimately other books written, as he apparently left copious notes upon his death. I read somewhere that Daniel Craig will play Michael Blomkvist. Wrt the trilogy, I basically agree with the NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/bo...ewanted=1&_r=1.

And another NYT article about disgusting side effects of gym going: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/he...me&ref=general.

Updated August 7th, 2010 at 11:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Back to the pool

Today I swam in a pool again for the first time in over a week. I spent much of the last week in Lake Placid, swimming in one of my favorite spots in all the world, Mirror Lake:

Mirror Lake is the smaller lake around which the village of Lake Placid is built. It measures about 1.5 miles by .5 miles, has a buoy line set up that makes swimming straight very easy, and doesnít allow any motorboats. All that combined, plus the 74-degree water temp (on the high side for this time of year, but still very pleasant), made it a very swimmer-friendly place to vacation. Weíve spent some time there most every summer since first visiting in 1994 for an open-water race.

I didnít do workouts per se or record yardage while on vacation (or blog), just got in and swam however much felt good a couple of times a day. This morning when I swam in the pool things like streamlining and turning definitely felt a bit rusty!

Hereís the workout I did this morning with the Asphalt Green masters. Since Iíve started my taper for zones in 2 weeks, I modified things as needed.

500 lcm warmup

500 swim, every 3rd length catch-up free

5 x 100 FR/BK @ 1:50 [held 1:31-1:34s]

6 x 100 (75 Kick fast / 25 easy swim) @ big rest [practices bobbing and sinking in between]

6 x 50 choice race pace to feet @ 1:20 [I did odds fast, evens 40 easy/10 fast]

After this, there was a longish set involving various equipment. I instead hopped over to an empty lane and did the following bit before getting out early:

2 x (virtual 200 IM + 100 easy) [For my virtual IMs, I do the first and last 10-15 meters of each length fast stroke, the rest easy free, while mentally rehearsing my keys for the 200 IM, a race Iíll swim at Zones]

200 warmdown

It was nice to have a princess lane where I could do my little taper IM set without worrying about dodging other swimmers.

Over the next couple of weeks my plan is to swim as often as possible, while increasingly limiting the amount of hard yardage Iím doing. I like playing in the water a lot while Iím tapering, and Augustówhen many people are away, and the kids team is on a more limited practice scheduleótends to be a great time to find the space to do that.
  3. So much for that idea

by , August 7th, 2010 at 08:37 AM (Life in the (not so) fast lane)
    I had every intention of getting up on time this morning and spending about 90 minutes in the pool. However, last night I got really tired, crashed around 8:00, and woke up a little after 6:00 this morning.

I had absolutely zero motivation to swim, so after giving myself some time to wake up I threw on some shorts and running shoes and ran about 3 miles. I have a half marathon coming up next month for which I am woefully unprepared, so I had better get some kind of training in. I ran it last year with no prior training whatsoever and found myself hating life for the last five miles. Today's run isn't going to cut it, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

I may try to swim tomorrow but I don't like the Y on Sundays with the pool full of kids.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. A different Kind of Suit

by , August 7th, 2010 at 08:12 AM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Wedding Pic

I just have to share a picture
    of me walking my Baby Girl Down the aisle.
    I'm not used to wearing this kind of Suit.
    I much prefer my Speedo Training Suit.

Now If I can get my daughter swimming.
    I got her at the pool one day and she
    was keeping up with me kicking.
    It's a blessing and a curse to have to
    wear 4e shoes! And her feet are just
    like mine. Poor Girl!!

Updated August 8th, 2010 at 08:11 PM by Bo Martin (Link Didn't work)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Here and Now

by , August 6th, 2010 at 07:57 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    UUgh!!! Last day of summer vacation. Probably the nicest day (weather-wise) of the last 3 months.
    I got up late (7:30 a.m.) and checked home, work e-mails, and looked at fb.
    I followed my daily ritual of yard/pool work and then headed off for my swim at the Monon Center.
    The Indiana Pacer's have apparently rented some pool time for athlete knee rehab. I noticed 4 young, very tall, black gentlemen jogging, sidestepping, bounding, and jumping up to the bs flags in both the deep and shallow ends. I totally recognized the guy on the sidelines running the show(but I forget his name). I was going a Glenn mills distance pacing workout today so I enjoyed the unusual distraction in lanes 1 and 2.
    I don't know why but I got involved in long conversations with 2 different men today at the pool as well. The first one needed some help and directions with his swimming. I think I've got him buzzing around the right corner's now! The other is part of a group I sometimes skip Nasti's to swim with. I was glad to see him and hope to start swimming with that group again soon!
    The Workout: I was tired today. I am trying to swim the entire month of August without a day off. Swimming makes me happy (when I'm done) so why deny myself the chance to be happy on any given day?

**400 freestyle moderate
    **400 freestyle breathe every 3 breaths
    **400 Freestyle Pull (buoy and paddles)
    **400 Freestyle Kick
    **6 X 200 on 3:30 (Alternate swim 200/ pull 200/ kick 200)
    **16 X 100 Freestyle
    1st 4: descent intervals 2:00/ 1:55/ 1:50/ 1:45
    2nd 4: 1:50/ 3:40/ 5:30/ 7:20
    3rd 4: 1:45/ 3:30/ 5:15/ 7:00
    4th 4: 1:40/ 3:20/ 5:00/ 6:40
    4,400 scy

I headed off to school to try and get some work done after the workout. I was in one of my zombie-states and accomplished very little. (I did organize a bulletin board but it's not up yet) I'll go back tomorrow. I need to post a pic of the new wooden floor my school purchased; it's beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!! (job security too) Sad thing is I couldn't get my computer to fire up! I trekked down the tech guy; come to find out there was so much saw dust and concrete dust blown into my office that it had creaked into the computer and clogged it up. We jointly took the thing apart and blew it out and got it up and working!! I'll have to go back tomorrow to get myself properly prepared for day 1.

I arrived home to find my eldest daughter and a friend with the 2 little kids she nanny's for in the pool. The youngest of the 2, an adorable 5 year old boy just found out yesterday his leukemia is back and there's nothing they can do for it! Apparently he was given 3-6 months to live. I love children and a situation like this for me is nearly impossible. I constantly thank the Lord I have never had to deal with this whilst my kids were in their youth.
    This little guy was telling me about butterflies and chyrsellis (sp) and how much he loves them. A light bulb went off in my head and I remembered a TY beanie butterfly I had somewhere in my house that used to be treasured by one of my kids. I quickly excused myself to look for the b'fly and much to my amazement found it quickly.
    I wish I had a pic of the light in this little guy's eyes when he say the butterfly! It was precious! He didn't even have to lower the mask to let me see his smile (well I made him anyway)! I am going to pray some type of miracle comes along for this guy! Please!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Thunder, Friday, Aug. 6

by , August 6th, 2010 at 07:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    After a decent morning at the beach, thunder foiled my plans for both a swim in the ocean or a swim at the Y. So I took an involuntary rest day. The weather is supposed to be somewhat sketchy tomorrow, so I plan to get to the Y whenever it is open.

In the meantime, I:

1. Am almost done with the Stieg Larsson series. Sniff. sniff. Next up: The Dead End Gene Pool.

2. On Julie O'Roddin's recommendation, I purchased a black running skirt. Much cooler and more comfy than shorts. Can't wait to try it out running or at the gym.

3. I returned a sugoi swimsuit. Hated the way it fit.

4. Am getting ready to dine at a restaurant on the pier and hoping not to get rained on.

5. I saw Inception last night. Quite liked it, though I kept wondering about whether it really took that much effort to plant the seed of an idea in someone's head ... I ordered The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, as it is not rentable. here.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Since its been over a week....

So the last two weeks have been a little off kilter thus far. My roommates have gone out of town and left me with their dog Sophie.

Now - I love Sophie. She's seriously the most awesome dog in the world. She's a complete sweetheart and pretty much the only girl who likes me these days anyway

However - with the sweet comes the slightly annoying. She wants a lot of my attention. Last week - I was just kind of getting into the swing of things just being her and I and I wasn't thinking too clearly. She pretty much monopolized my after work time when I wasn't working on computers. I felt bad just leaving her in the cage all day, so this was a combo effect all across the board. The only things I made time for that week were team events: swim practice, basketball and softball.
    I actually found myself in a bit of a funk as a result of not lifting. I was feeling generally in nature and my attempts to correct or alleviate the situation were only met with more problems and things just getting in my way.
    HOWEVER on the flip side. Thursday night's swim practice was probably the fast I've swam ever. I don't think I've ever really taken the time to give myself enough rest for meets now that I'm thinking about it. I swam roughly 10% faster as a result!

Then swimming ended last Sunday. Its been difficult to get in the pool just due to time constraints. However this time - I've got a strategy. I put up the money and threw Sophie into a puppy day care so she'd be nice and tired by the time we got home. This has actually worked mostly. I've been busy with a lot of other things as well (car needed oil change, worked a 23 hour shift on tuesday, etc...) So I have been able to get in 2 weight lifts (and one more tonight) this week. I'm hoping that next week will give me even more time to do this as I kind of pick up things to do.

I also went to the Lake Forest High School pool. I was sorely disappointed to find out that the LFHS pool is closed until August 10th.... So that means I have to turn around and go back to Lake Bluff where I have no lane lines and no ceiling. <ugh>

I guess I'll be getting really good at my sprints and my breast stroke form then!
  8. 8/6 Workout

Did anyone else notice the new can of worms emoticon?

I think I am faster than I have ever been as a master. It must be all that geeky physics talk in the forums.

Warm up
    - 600 every 3rd 50 back
    - 4x100 kick 50 back, 50 free
    Transition
    - 4x100 on 1:15 (1:07,1:08, 1:08, 1:07)
    - 4x50 back on 1:00 (did them ez)
    - waited for other lanes to sync up for main set
    Main Set
    - 20x50 (5x :28, 2x :27*)
    -- 1 fast on :45
    -- 2 ez on 1:00
    - talked for a couple minutes
    - 3x150 on 1:55**
    Warm down
    - 250 ez back

* relaxed my neck, looked straight down and couldn't see where I was going. This felt more relaxed and might have sped up my turnover. My turnover was easier and the small change was certainly faster. I normally (as of sometime last year) look almost straight down, but this change was so down that I couldn't see the wall until I was on top of it. This is something I need to figure out.

** This was supposed to have been 6, but I didn't have enough time. There was lots of rest on these, so next time I do 150s, I will do 1:50 for a short set or 1:55 for a long set.
    I don't think I could have made more than 4 with 10+ seconds rest.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Friday, 8/6/10

by , August 6th, 2010 at 12:08 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Warm - up
    500 Swim free and back
    4 x 100/1:40 build
    400 IM Kick
    8 x 50/55 ds 3, 4 easy
    (did 1-4 free, 5-8 back)

Swim
    Swim the following twice:
    1 x 300 Free or back/20sr Build
    (round 1 back-5:00, round 2 free-4:47
    1 x 200 IM/10- 20sr Build
    (3:40, 3:35)

Warm down
    100 easy

Total: 2800 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. FAST Fri Aug 6th 2010

by , August 6th, 2010 at 10:59 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST Fri Aug 6th 2010

UT swim center is closed till October ;-(

you following [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=222553&postcount=50"]USS nationals/ Pan Pac Trials[/ame]?

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

LCM
    Whitney Coached
    6:00 TO 7:30
    Austin: GARRISON outdoor pool REALLY WARM
    swam with tyler, todd, chris, doug, ned, marcio, & kendal
    dove in at 6:04ish

WARM UP

MAIN SET

10 x 50 on 1:15
    odds easy
    evens fast
    fly 29
    bk ?
    br 37
    fr 27
    bk 33

100 easy

assigned 400
    did 300

10 x 100 on 2:30
    odds fast
    evens easy
    went 1:08, 1:07, 1:06, 1:05, 1:03
    pool was really warm, had a bit of a head ache

100 easy

skipped the 400 easy & 400 for time
    todd & tyler went 4:49
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Too hot in the hot tub

by , August 6th, 2010 at 10:20 AM (Life in the (not so) fast lane)
    Okay, I wasn't swimming in the jacuzzi, but I might as well have been. The pool water had to be a good 86 degrees today. It sucked the life out of me and I thought I was going to melt. Aside from that, I felt pretty good today.

My workout was just a hodgepodge of different things I wanted to work on. I usually pull my workouts off the internet, but lately I've been coming up with my own based on what I want to or can do. Generally speaking, I fail miserably at coming up with a cohesive, enjoyable workout, but I think for the most part, any swimming is good swimming. Here's what I ended up doing:

Warmup: 5x200 SKIPS

1650 free. With the water temperature as it was, this was a joy to swim, and by "joy" I mean "sucked out loud." I didn't even care what my time was when it was over. I could not have been good.

10x200 kick, alternating br/bk/fr/dolphin, all but br w/fins. I typically devote Fridays to doing lots of kick sets and today was no exception. I just don't seem to get a whole lot out of my kick and need to keep working on it.

3x100 free fast on 2:00. A horrifically long interval, but I was wearing down by this point. I probably should have done a few more of these but...nah.

6x50 stroke/free on 1:00. Fly felt a bit off today, so tomorrow's workout will most likely be flyapalooza.

150 warmdown

Total: 5,400 scy
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Another slow moving day

by , August 6th, 2010 at 08:29 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just not in the mood to rush. I think I am on vacation time now. My brain is in Puerto Rico, I am just waiting for my body to get there now.

400 Free
    400 Free pull w/bouy
    400 Free kick w/fins alternate 50 easy/50 moderate
    10x30 from dive alt fly/free 15 meter breakout then easy free
    4x200@4:00 odds fly evens back w/fins as 50 rt arm/50 lt arm/50 kick/50 swim (1&2 easy,3&4 moderate)
    200 free easy

Total 2500 meters

Updated August 6th, 2010 at 11:38 AM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. AQUAMAN Swim Series in Colorado - Final Race 2 Mile

There were 15 women overall in 2 Mile Event on Tuesday night August 3rd. I didn't realize that there were 6 of 15 women including me who swam in the hot competition within 2 minutes apart. I made it and checked my personal time, it is 46.51. That time is not the best one but at least I did very well.

After that, I would be going to practice swimming - long distance for my next open water race - which is the Horsetooth Reservoir 2 Mile event for August 15th.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. 3 hours in

by , August 6th, 2010 at 05:19 AM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    Although I lost the 15 minutes of video of me finishing MIMS this year, I saved some of my footage!

This is early in the race, about 3 hours in. I'm in the Harlem, and the water's finally gotten warm, brown and nutty. Conditions couldn't be better, but I'm feeling a little sorry for myself because of the screwdriver someone has inserted into my lower back and is twisting with every stroke.

The swimmer next to me is Rachel Golub. I think Mo Seigel is just ahead. There's also a 2 person relay around. We were all fairly close together the whole swim.

I think we had just passed, or were nearing Yankee(sp?) Stadium..

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkNSflBfB1Q"]YouTube- &#x202a;MIMS1&#x202c;&lrm;[/nomedia]

Updated August 6th, 2010 at 10:08 PM by Chicken of the Sea

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Thursday

by , August 5th, 2010 at 07:13 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Tomorrow is my last day of summer break; school starts Monday. Believe it or not I'm going to get up early and swim so I can go to school and work most of the day. That's what I call procrastination!

I swam with Lindsay (my eldest offspring) today at the Monon Center. I planned to do a short workout with her and then go to Nasti's tonight at Forest Park. I got distracted with things and ended up not going to Nasti's. I'll just work a little harder tomorrow!

**500 Freestyle Swim (my partner snorted at this one. I told her to htfu! she used to swim 500 in 5:17)
    **2 X 200 Choice on 4:00 (I did IM's, not sure what she did)
    **4 X 100 (alt 50 drill/swim and 50 kick/swim)
    **10 X 50 Free on 1:00

1,800 (I had an appointment so no cool-down)

I hurried off to my appointment at the Aveda Spa/Hair Place whilst my daughter reported to my house to clean the carpets and wash the windows! I am living the life of luxury my last couple days of break!
    Trust me it will end soon!!!!!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Return to the Pool, Thursday, Aug. 5

by , August 5th, 2010 at 06:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I reluctantly dragged myself away from the beach today to venture to the Wilmington YMCA.

Swim/Solo/SCY:

Warm up:

600 various

Transition Sets:

8 x (25 shooter + 25 front scull)

8 x 50 breast drill (regular breast pull and alternating dolphin kick and breast kick) @ 1:05

10 x 50 kick-swim w/fins @ :50
    odds = back kick
    evens = back swim

My backstroke felt inexplicably great and very smooth. This seemed odd since I've done so little of it lately.

50 EZ
    (1950)

Speed Work:

6 x through:

1 x 25 easy speed fly
    1 x 25 EZ DAB
    1 x 25 AFAP free
    1 x 50 EZ

5 x 50, done as 25 fast breast pull w/buoy + 25 EZ kick

50 EZ

3 x through:

1 x 50 fast flutter kick w/board
    1 x 100 free w/paddles

100 EZ

Total: 3550

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

The Y was pretty crowded today, and I made the mistake of overlapping with the lunch Tri Group, so I had to share a lane the entire time. The Tri Group had some pretty decent swimmers. No desire to join in their workout though as the first set was 2 x 800.

It felt fabulous to be in a pool swimming after 4 days of the ocean. I tried to work on my stroke technique after getting jostled around so much in the ocean. My legs, unfortunately, did have some lingering fatigue from 4 days of running (albeit very short distances). I probably need to knock off the running as Zones is only 2+ weeks away.

I hadn't really given any thoughts to tapering. Right now I seem to have some raw speed and some endurance, but not much speed endurance. I guess I'll try to get in some speed work this weekend and next week and then just be lazy when I return from the beach. I've already dropped drylands obviously. I really have no idea what to expect at Zones. I don't feel like I can really compare my times to last year's Indy times b/c my training has been so different. Between that and the suit change, my times could be quite a bit slower. C'est la vie. It'll actually be nice to have a low pressure meet and hang out with friends.

Tom left me a great link to Ryan Lochte's drylands:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va3JJuXDyhc"]YouTube- &#x202a;Ryan Lochte Training&#x202c;&lrm;[/nomedia]

After that non-rigorous workout, I sat on the beach for several hours. I'm about 2/3 of the way through The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest, which is a page turner. I like this volume better than the second volume.

Now, it's margarita time!

Updated August 9th, 2010 at 09:35 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. I Need to Vent

by , August 5th, 2010 at 03:52 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    What a day.
    It started with a good swim at least.

Great Day #1
    Then a call from my buddy at the TV repair Shop
    Well, It will be around $420 to possibly fix your TV.
    I have a computer repair business so I know what Possibly means.
    I paid $170 for it 2 years ago. and a new one is $499 now.
    Looks like I buy a new one.

Great Day # 2
    I'm being sued for a auto accident that was not my fault!!! Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Day # 3
    I get home from work and a HUGE tree had fallen on my house during a storm.

So what Did I do? I had a couple of drinks!
    Played some guitar real loud while I watched
    nationals on my computer.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Thu Aug 5th 2010

by , August 5th, 2010 at 02:16 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Aug 5th 2010

swam tue & wed

UT swim center is closed till October

you following [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=222553&postcount=50"]USS nationals/ Pan Pac Trials[/ame]?

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

lifted weights before practice

LCM
    Whitney Coached
    6:00 TO 7:30
    Austin: GARRISON outdoor pool REALLY WARM
    swam with tyler, chris, doug, ned, todd, & paul
    dove in at 6:10ish

WARM UP

MAIN SET

assigned: 3 rounds of
    4 x 100 on 1:30 right into
    3 x 100 on 1:25 right into
    2 x 100 on 1:20 right into
    1 x 100 on 1:15
    R1 swim
    R2 K with fins
    R3 pull
    did: most of it but skipped bits, I'm not doing much aerobic and distance training for the next couple months, want to get stronger lighter & faster
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -08/17/10

by , August 5th, 2010 at 12:06 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    First day back to SCY

SCY
    WARM UP:
    4 X 100 free 1:45
    4 X 50 kick 1:15
    4 X 100 IM 2:00
    4 X 100 kick 2:15

4 X 50 -1 of each- 1:05
    1 X 100 easy 2:40
    Three times through

1 X 25 :30
    1 X 50 1:00
    1 X 75 1:30
    1 X 100 2:00
    Four times through.
    Round 1: 100 is fast
    Round 2: 75 is fast
    Round 3: 50 is fast
    Round 4: 25 is fast

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -08/16/10

by , August 5th, 2010 at 12:02 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:45
    2 X 200 3:30
    1 X 400 -

5 X 100 kick 2:30

6 X 200
    odd: free 3:20
    even: IM 4:00

10 X 100 2:00
    odd: easy
    even: fast