View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Tri Pie and Fair Die

by , July 21st, 2010 at 09:57 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    A Vindication of the Rights of Swimmers: A Modest Proposal for Jim’s Fair Ironman

An Ironman Triathlon is one of a series of long-distance triathlon races organized by the World Triathlon (WTC) consisting of a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bike, and a 26 miles 385 yard run, raced in that order and without a break.

The current Ironman world record was set in 1997 by Belgian Luc Van Lierde. He set his world record at Ironman Europe with a time of 7:50:27 (0:44 swim, 4:28 bike, 2:36 run, plus transition).

The total time Luc spent moving and changing outfits and footwear that day was 470 minutes, give or take a few seconds.

The swim portion thus comprised approximately 9 percent of the total race; the bike 57 percent; and the run 33 percent. I am leaving out the wardrobe changes for simplicity’s sake, but let us just assume that he was also a world class ecdysiast as well as a fast swimmer, bicycle enthusiast, and runner. See pie chart:

Of the three separate endurance disciplines, it appears that running, which took up exactly one-third the total time, was the only sport equitably represented. Swimming, at under one-tenth of the total time, got ludicrously short shrift. Indeed, it appears to serve as little more than a momentary spit bath at the start of the competition, designed, one might think, to cool the competitors off before the real work starts.

Biking, well, biking—you are quite the disgusting pig, aren’t you, bogarting with your grotesque truffle-snorting nostrils nearly twice as much of the available spotlight time as running and nearly six times as much as swimming.

To rectify this, here is what I propose: the development of what I hope will become widely known as Jim’s Fair Triathlon, a just competition that gives each of its sporting segments equal time to shine. Certainly, other sports jurisprudential philosophers before me have proposed this before, especially (I have to imagine) the small handful of top notch triathletes that come from a swimming background as opposed to a running or biking one.

Obviously, I have no illusions that such appeals for the establishment of a Fair Triathlon will get anywhere. The greasy bike wheel (and surely grease-demanding bikes are by far the most expensive of all the highly-priced gear already necessary in this modern day Sport of Kings; indeed, with the possible exception of polo ponies and/or skeet shooting Hugenot peasants, I am not sure what sport exists today more geared to the success of the affluent than triathlons!) is always greased.

I suppose my prime hope is to just get a discussion rolling amongst our triathlete-performing masters swimming peers, along with the closeted underbelly of tri-haters (you know who you are!), and along with the vast ranks of swim-phobic USAT types who, if anything, would like to further minimize swimming’s role, perhaps replace it entirely with kayaking (now there’s something we could charge a fortune for--Tri kayaks fabricated out of Kevlar so they weigh no more than 7 ounces!)

My proposal has two steps, the first hardly novel; the second arguably slightly further from the well-worn path.

Step 1: Rebalance the Event Distance Portfolio

To do this, I checked some distance records for top swimmers, bikers, and runners. As indicated earlier, the World Record time for an Ironman is currently about 470 minutes. Divide this into thirds, and you come up with three equal segments of 156 minutes each, or 2 hours and 36 minutes. How far can the world’s top swimmers, bikers, and runners respectively cover in this allotted time?

Getting exactly accurate apples-to-oranges comparisons here has proved surprisingly difficult, as I learned after roughly 8 minute of intensive Google searching. Nevertheless, I found enough data upon which I believe I can build a rough but reasonable preliminary estimate.

Swimming: In the 2010 FINA 10K Marathon Swimming championships held in Lausanne, Switzerland on June 28, Germany’s Thomas Lurz sprinted to a gold medal in a time of 2 hours, 1 minute, and 5 seconds. This means he was covering slightly less than 100 m per minute. Assuming he could maintain close to this pace for the next 35 minutes, this would leave him with a total swim distance of 13,500 meters (about 8.4 miles) in his allotted 2 hours and 36 minutes.

I herewith propose that the swim portion of Jim’s Fair Triathalon cover 8.4 miles (an increase of 6 miles from current Ironman)

Biking: One site I found suggested that top pros can average 35 mph on the flats almost indefinitely. This sounded a bit vague to me, so for further amplification, I found a Time Trial from the Tour de France, Stage 19. Here are the times by top competitors racing 55 kilometers:

STAGE 19 RESULTS

1. Lance Armstrong (USA), U.S. Postal Service, 1:06:49
    2. Jan Ullrich (G), T-Mobile, 01:01
    3. Andréas Klöden (G), T-Mobile, 01:27
    4. Floyd Landis (USA), U.S. Postal Service, 02:25
    5. Bobby Julich (USA), CSC, 02:48
    6. Ivan Basso (I), CSC, 02:50
    7. Jens Voigt (G), CSC, 03:19
    8. Vladimir Karpets (Rus), Illes Balears-Banesto, 03:33
    9. Rubiera José Luis (Sp), U.S. Postal Service, 03:40
    10. Azevedo José (P), U.S. Postal Service, 03:49

55 kilometers translates into 34 miles. I am not sure how flat this course was, but it would appear that Lance’s remarkable achievement suggests he was traveling at a bit less than 35 mph. Let us give bikers a bit of a break here and stipulate that top pros could probably average 30 mph for an extended period of time. Thus, during the 2 hours and 36 minutes of the biking portion of Jim’s Fair Triathlon, they would be expected to cover about 78 miles.

I herewith propose that the bike portion of Jim’s Fair Triathalon cover 78 miles (a decrease of 34 miles from current Ironman.)

Running. The current marathon world record is held by Ethiopian runner, Haile Gebrselassie, who on September 28, 2008, completed the Berlin marathon in 2 hours 3 minutes and 59 seconds. If Haile had been allowed to run for another 32 minutes, assuming his pace dropped off from fatigue to 5 minute miles, he would have still covered at least another six miles.

I herewith propose that the run portion of Jim’s Fair Triathalon cover 32 miles (an increase of 6 miles from current Ironman.)

Step 2: Make the Event Order Fairer

Currently, the swim portion of every Ironman proceeds, by fiat, in an inviolate order: swim, bike, run. If football were governed by such a rule, the home team would always get the first possession—hardly fair, I think any fair-minded person would have to agree. Much better to give either team an equal chance. Thus, the flip of a coin has a long and storied role in all fair sports.

Triathons, to be sure, have three possibilities, and there is no such thing as a three-headed coin. True, but there is now, thanks to the ingenuity of yours truly, the Jim Fair Triathlon Die.

See sketch:

Approximately five minutes before the start of every Fair Triathlon, the Order of Events official will roll the die to decide what event will lead off this particular race. Since the die has six sides, two of which are labeled swim, bike, run, the official will continue to roll the die until the next sport comes up. The final leg will thus be decided by elimination.

The race finishers, too, might be thusly decided. Perhaps literally.

As masters swimmer/Mayo Clinic internist/all around nice guy, Dr. Tom “Jaegermeister” Jaeger, MD, recently emailed me, researchers reported last April in the Journal of the American Medical Association that the swimming leg, albeit an afterthought in current triathlons, is nevertheless the singlemost ruthless test of participant survival. As the JAMA paper reported:

“A total of 959 214 participants were analyzed (mean [SD], 323 [444] per race); 59% were men. Forty five percent competed in short (swim <750 m), 40% in intermediate (swim 750-1500 m), and 15% in long (swim >1500 m) triathlon races.... Fourteen participants died during 14 triathlons (rate, 1.5 per 100 000 participants; 95% CI, 0.9-2.5), including 13 while swimming and 1 biking... Although the contribution of cardiovascular abnormalities cannot be definitively excluded in some cases, logistical factors and adverse environmental conditions may have been responsible for these events, given that about 95% of triathlon fatalities occurred during the swimming segment. Furthermore, deaths were more common in triathlons involving greater numbers of competitors. Because triathlons begin with chaotic, highly dense mass starts, involving up to 2000 largely novice competitors entering the water simultaneously, there is opportunity for bodily contact and exposure to cold turbulent water.”

It is, perhaps, inevitable, that if Jim’s Fair Triathlon wins general acceptance and over time usurps the current Ironman, or Patently Unfair Triathlon, approach in vogue today, the cavalcade of slaughter due to drownings is likely to increase a bit. Offsetting this, perhaps, is the likelihood that at least one third of the time, the swimming leg will be the final part of the race, guaranteeing that the participants will have spread themselves out considerably by then, reducing the likelihood of “chaotic, highly dense mass” swimming conditions where intentional drowning of despised competitors is no doubt as common as it is difficult to detect forensically and criminally prosecute.

In any event, regardless of death toll, I think we can all agree that sporting fairness really should take precedence over human life, at least where triathletes are concerned. As the name Ironman implies, swimming has always been a tertiary citizen in the world of triathlons (with a specific gravity of 7.7, twice as much as Portland cement, a true “Ironman” is designed to sink, not swim). It is time to change this.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Salvaging the Summer

by , July 21st, 2010 at 06:14 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I started training last spring for the National 10K OW Championship's to be held July 17th in Noblesville, Indiana. Due to a series of circumstances (cracked ribs in April, Sinus/double ear/strep infections late May, and scratched cornea July) I ended up not swimming the race. In June I was considering the 5K instead of the 10K. On my final lake 5K swim I some how scraped the cornea of my eye. This was the most painful injury I've ever had in my life! I wanted to kiss the ER doc when he numbed my eyeball to examine it! Too bad the anesthesia only lasted 15 minutes or so!!!!!
    In an effort to put a positive spin on some of this misfortune I have decided to dedicate this summer to stroke efficiency improvement.
    For the last 6 weeks I have been working on stroke drills, perfecting bi-lateral breathing, and integrating more powerful kicking into my strokes. I have been feeling the fruits of my labours on my most recent swims.
    I swim on an un-coached master's team. We have a posted workout which we swim together but without a coach on deck to help with stroke flaws, etc. Normally we rarely do more than 200 meters of kicking, drilling, or stroke work. If we ever do it's usually on an interval speed too fast for me to learn the drill and stay with the group so I normally just swim.
    I have been doing a lot of solo swimming which has given me the opportunity to learn the drills and set the intervals to my needs.
    If you are a swimmer who would like to improve your strokes I can recommend all the workouts in the "Workout" section of the forum. I have used all of SJ Blacks drills and Kris Houchins "Mojo Flyer" drills and workouts. I copied the formatted drill sequences, laminated them and take them to the pool with me. Both threads provide adequate directions on how to do the drills.
    I integrate the drills in short spurts with regular swims; it's amazing how this helps you feel what you are doing right!!!!
    I am going to continue this plan for a couple more weeks then hire a friend of mine who coaches AG swimming to look over my strokes and make sure I'm headed down the right path.
    All things said I've known I needed to do this ever since I started swimming. As an older swimmer I so often get caught up in completing the workout with the team and forget the need to swim properly.
    If I'm working toward a meet or OW event I get caught up in the yardage concept but ignore the most important part of swimming: good solid technique.
    I will also say my yardage lately has averaged 3,500 to 4,500 per workout yet my shoulders feel better than ever. The ability to comfortably bi-lateral breath while freestyling significantly helps that issue!
    I give credit to my "Star" paddles in helping me get "over the hump" with bi-lateral breathing. I started out doing some swims with the paddles and a pull buoy; this makes bi-lateral breathing easy to manage. I later cut down to "just the buoy", or "just the paddles". I mixed in regular swims but held steady on the bilateral stuff. Somehow after several weeks of persisting this routine it started feeling normal!
    I know I've rambled on here but I know there are others out in the forum who struggle with stroke issues and swim without a coach.
    I don't know how much faster I will swim with my freshly improved strokes but I am feeling a happy sense of accomplishment.
    I am planning to swim the Big Shoulder's 5K on September 11th!

Today's workout:

**500 Freestyle Swim
    **500 Freestyle Swim w/ Star Paddles playing with 3/5/7 breathing patterns
    **300 Flutter Kick
    **200 Freestyle Hard
    **100 IM
    **8 X 75 Freestyle (Drill/Swim/Drill) alternating Fist, catch-up, finger drag, and 1 arm free drills. 1:30 interval.
    **8 X 50 Drill/Free (use the same drills as above but drill 1st 25, swim 2nd 25) on 1:00
    **10 X 25 Ten Kick and Roll Drill on :40.
    **24 X 50 (alternate Freestyle 50 and stroke 50(IM Order). Rest :15 after each.
    **ez 200 IM

4,200 scy in a nice, very cool pool!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. July 20

by , July 21st, 2010 at 01:42 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the pool around 7 this morning and got in a 2,000 SCY workout:

200 swim, 200 kick, 200 free pull

400 kick with fins alternating 100 free kick/100 back kick

3 x 200 back with paddles on 3:00

3 x 100 dolphin kick (no fins) on 1:45

100 easy

Later in the day, hit the swimming hole and did 400 easy yards and then a fly pyramid

25 fly
    50 fly
    100 fly
    50 fly
    25 fly

100 easy

Total: 750 yards

Note that all distances are approximated based on my normal stroke count.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -07/22/10

by , July 21st, 2010 at 12:01 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    2 X 150 2:45
    2 X 250 4:15
    4 X 50 faster 1:00

5 X 200 4:15
    100 swim/100 kick

8 X 100 2:00
    Pull free or IM

4 X {start-turn-finish}

1 X 400 free or 300 IM
    Focus on great turns

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Wednesday, 7/21/10

by , July 21st, 2010 at 11:32 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Warm up
    300 swim
    200 drills
    6 x 75/ - Alternate 75 free/1:30 and 75 IM/1:40
    (IM's with no free)
    8 x 25/30 Strong
    (alternated back and free)

Swim
    12 x 100/1:40 desc by 4's
    (All free, each round was ±1:35->±1:28)

Kick w/Fins
    3 x 50-Flutter - rotate sides
    (w/zoomers around 55 with 15 sr)
    3 x 50-Dolphin on back
    (w/zoomers around 55 with 15 sr)
    3 x 50-under water
    (did SDK, was only able to go half way uw. then flutter on surface to wall)

Swim
    8 x 25/40 FAST w/ Fins
    (4 free around 15-16, and 4 back around 18-19)

Warm down
    100 easy free

Total: 2900 meters

Updated July 21st, 2010 at 01:46 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Not a rest day in the Pyrenees of New York

I went to the 5:30 AG LCM workout this morning. I was a little sleepy because I had stayed up last night attending the Varese festival at Lincoln Center (Mr. Addict was part of a baritone chorus featured in one piece), but I was somehow also still energized from the amazing music I heard. It was a good thing I still had all those rhythms banging around in my head, because I needed something to keep me occupied during today’s loooooong freestyle set. Here’s how the workout went:

600 lcm warmup

400 kick w/ board (alternated FR/BR)

Mountain x 3 set:
    50 FR
    100 FR
    150 FR
    200 FR
    150 FR
    100 FR
    50 FR

200 FR
    300 FR
    400 FR
    300 FR
    200 FR

400 FR
    600 FR
    800 FR
    600 FR
    400 FR

[We were supposed to keep our stroke long and relaxed going up each mountain, then go faster on the way down. Alternate-side breathing was also strongly suggested. I did fine with both of these on the 1st mountain. On the 2nd, I rewarded myself with 100m of BK during each swim (one 50 at the end of each half of each distance), which helped me keep count and kept my interest up. Time constraints prevented even the undaunted folks in my lane from finishing the 3rd (HC) mountain—I spent the first part of that set having a stretching break, then put on my fins and switched to kicking for the rest, and lost count of how much we actually did. I did think about working my turns throughout this set and even practiced a little dolphining off the walls—I figured anything that meant fewer strokes for my arms was all to the good.]

100 warmdown

During today’s workout I kept thinking of Chaos’s inspiring Catalina swim and of my friend Cristian who completed a successful Channel swim this week. They both achieved amazing feats, and thinking about their 15+ hour swims helped remind me that a straight 800 lcm is really not anything to whine about!
  7. No Clock, No Sets just EASY

by , July 21st, 2010 at 07:39 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My Happy Birthday to myself was an easy swim. No speed, No expectations, No sets, just swim.

50,100,150,200,250,300,350,400@:05R Free
    500 Free kick w/fins easy
    600 Fly drills w/fins as 50 rt arm/50 lt arm/ 50 skull drill/50 kick
    400 Free w/snorkle
    200 Free EASY

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. July 19-20, 2010

by , July 21st, 2010 at 12:59 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol Monday

Warm(650)
    50, 100FR, 200IM Drill, 100K, 50BK, 100K, 50BR
    The weekly 50 minus 5 set (last week it was on 1:15)(750/1400)
    10x75FR on 1:10 (1:00) next week it will be on 1:05, coach wants to get me to "on 1:00" to prepare for 2 meets in August.

Drills/Swim(1800/3200)
    6x50 BK drill catch-up on 1:15 (1:00)
    6x50 BK K with fins on 1:00 (:35)
    6x50 BR Pull w/pull-buoy (kicking with the buoy) on 1:00
    6x50 BR Swim on 1:00
    6x50 Stanford drill on 1:00(3 fly n/b, free, 2fly n/b into wall repeat..)
    6x25 Fly on :45
    Mono Kick(400/3600)
    4x100 fly kick on side w/monofin on 2:00 (1:30)
    200 cool
    3800scy
    Normal we have some variation of 200's.

My mornings are a 15 minute Pilates/traditional workout.

Tuesday
    Aquasol

Warm 400 (FR's and IM)
    Some 500's
    500 FR 6:30 w/ snorkel
    500 P 6:30
    500K Massive cramp from foot to hip Ouch!
    needless to say the kick set went really slow!
    10x25 UW SDK on :35
    Treading water 1:00 on 1:00 off. More like 6 minutes on trying to learn how to alternate breast-kick vertical, never did that before.
    Did some cooling off to total 2200 today.

I must remember not to consume a Pure Sport drink (found more stashed away, arg...)with lunch (chemical imbalance in the afternoon) this is the second time I did this and I felt really weird, my muscles were shaking.
    I'm ok if I have one an hour before w/o, but then I just feel like lead, a heavy feeling...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Vexed, Tuesday, July 20

by , July 20th, 2010 at 10:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bike:

60 minutes aerobic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I am vexed. I was forced to take 2 days off entirely and 3 days off swimming due to a variety of circumstances. And collectively, they probably amount to a pile of excuses. (But Mr. Fort going to the emergency room again for another bike accident was not pleasant and he is seriously banged up.) I was all set to head to GMU for practice tonight, but the forecast was for thunderstorms and it appeared about ready to burst any minute. I didn't want to do a hour+ drive for nothing, so I did an hour on my bike instead. Big mistake! The storms never came. The only time I can swim tomorrow, with my kids' schedules, is during the psycho camp time. Hmm ... I am, unfortunately, not as happy in my semi-enforced laziness as Patrick and Elise. I wish I could get into a solid routine.

I usually love summer, but the oppressive weather is putting a major damper on my spirits. I had to engage in retail therapy today to counteract this issue, if even in a very short lived way.

I got my USMS Swimmer mag today. Any news?

Off to watch the end of the TdF.

Meat loves beware: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38329749/ns/health/

Updated July 21st, 2010 at 10:18 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Spinning
  10. 7/20/10 frustration

So Monday I took off from the pool because when I woke up monday morning I had jacked up my neck and shoulder while sleeping. Was so bad I could not even turn my chin to either shoulder, could just look ahead. Today I was feeling little better and went to the pool only to find it was closed because of some type of lifeguard training. I did my P90x then jumped in my pool and splashed around for about 45 minutes.

Im getting concerned with this P90X. When I started my weight was 180, im now 184. Been at it just for a week. My eating is the same and my training is the same. Only thing really different is im not running 6 miles every other day now. Guess the question is, why the hell is my weight going up. Im assuming im adding some muscle mass, but to me I feel strongest in water when im around 175. Although I do feel stronger, I do not want to put on more weight. I felt strong with what I was doing before p90x. I will give it another week and see what happens, but if weight continues to climb think I will go back to my own personal training that works for me.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Tuesday, 7/20/10

by , July 20th, 2010 at 01:15 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Warm up
    300 swim
    (did 150 free/150 back)
    6 x 50 ds 3 3/1:00 3/50
    (all free; 45->40 both times through)
    6 x 25/30 strong
    (1-2 free, 3-4 back, 5-6 fly )

Kick - No Fins
    1 x 200 IM/20 sec rest
    8 x 25/45 FAST
    1 x 200 IM/4:00
    6 x 25/50 FAST
    4 x 25/55 FAST
    2 x 25/1:00 FAST
    (On IM: everything but back w/board)
    (On 25's: alternated free and back, times were around 23-25 on free, 25-27 on back)

Swim with Fins
    1 x 300 Free/20sr
    (4:40)
    2 x 200 IM/15sr
    (3:30 on these, breast was with dolphin kick)
    3 x 100 Strong Back/10sr
    (1:35-40)

Warm down
    50 easy free

Total: 3200 meters

Updated July 21st, 2010 at 11:27 AM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -07/21/10

by , July 20th, 2010 at 01:08 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:45
    4 X 150 2:45
    1 X 200 build to fast

8 X 50 1:00
    25 fast/25 easy

3 X 100 kick 2:30
    6 X 50 kick 1:15
    1 X 100 easy swim

2 X 50 build 1:30 1:15
    1 X 50 @ 100% 1:30 1:15
    4 X 50 build 1:30 1:15
    1 X 100 @ 100 % - -
    Twice through, break between rounds.
    Round 1 is stroke intervals left.
    Round 2 is free, intervals right.
    Swim the 100 in each round starting from the blocks.

4X{start-turn-finish drill

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Tue Jul 20th 2010

by , July 20th, 2010 at 12:37 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue Jul 20th 2010

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

swam Sat Jul 17,
    did not swim Sun Jul 18
    Swam Mon Jul 19 did around 1200

LCM
    Whitney Coached
    6:30 TO 8:30
    Austin UT Swim Center div well
    swam with tyler, larry, mike, chris, ned
    wore a brief
    dove in at 7:05

WARM UP
    SNAKES, pool set up with 10 lanes
    do one length in each lane
    did 2 snakes so that's 1000 then
    did 300

MAIN SET

assigned 15 x 100 on 2:15
    1) 25 fast 75 easy
    2) 50 fast 50 easy
    3) 75 fast 75 easy
    4) 100 fast for time
    5) 100 easy

did
    1 & 2 mod
    skipped 3
    pushed 4 & went 1:01
    5 easy
    6 easy
    skipped 7 & 8
    kicked 9 went 1:17
    10 easy
    11 easy
    12 skip
    13 dove 100 fr went 1:00
    100 easy

2010 MEETS:

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    2010 South Central Long Course
    Southlake, Texas
    Days till LCM ZONES
    Entered Zones yesterday & got my hotel
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Felt like the blob

by , July 20th, 2010 at 07:30 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just had no energy today but was pleasantly surprised by one set.

5x200@3:40 Free could barely make these
    6x100@:05R Back kick drills w/fins alternate streamline/fashion model/partial recovery these just didn't feel good at all
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 80%
    5x200@4:00 as 100 Free/100 Back w/paddles & bouy went 3:30, 3:28, 3:19, 3:16, 3:09 where did this come from this was faster than I could do the free only
    4x100@:05R Free as 50 drill/50 swim

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. My Tough Experience in Sport

Please check my official website with regarding my story....

http://mickipoole.weebly.com/
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. July 18 & 19

by , July 19th, 2010 at 10:42 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the Y weight room late in the afternoon and did a 2 mile run: 2 minutes easy, 1 minute hard. Followed up the run with a quick dryland workout as follows:

2 sets of 10 push-ups with Bosu ball

2 sets of 100 bicycles

2 sets of 15 back extensions

2 sets of 10 x 10 hammer curls

Early in the evening, did a 16 mile bike ride. Did a few 45 second surges on the flats getting it up to between 27 and 30 mph.

Today did a 3 mile easy run on the road in the later afternoon.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Monday, 7/19/10

by , July 19th, 2010 at 05:13 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, solo

Warm up
    200 Swim
    16 x 25/30 IM order 25 Drill - 25 Swim

Swim
    4 x ( 50 smooth - 50 build - 50 fast)
    on 1:00 with fins and paddles
    (All free, was around 40-42 an the 1st, 37-38 on the 2nd and 34-35 on the 3rd)

Kick with fins
    4 x (50 moderate - 100 fast)/20sr
    (free w/board, was around 55 on the moderate 50, 1:40 on the fast 100's)

Swim
    15 x 50/55 - 2 easy - 3 fast
    all free on the easy ones, free on the first 2 rounds of fast ones times ranged from 38-41, back on round 3 times were around 44.
    3 x 50/1:00 easy

Kick
    2 x 100/2:30 Moderate
    2 x 50/1:15 Stronger
    (2:15 on the 100's, was 1:01-02 on the 50's.)

Cool down
    4 x 50/1:00 easy

Total: 3200 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Key Malfunction Monday

by , July 19th, 2010 at 04:27 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Lightning must have messed the computers up at the pool. Our pass key's failed to work.
    And of course about 15 people had showed up and
    1 new swimmer.

So I went to the Y and swam by myself for about
    40 min...

Warm Up
    300 Swim
    200 Kick
    200 Pull

3 x 100 Descend
    Did this 3x
    Started each set a little faster than the last.
    :20r on all....

Warm down 200 or so..
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Hangover Saturday

by , July 19th, 2010 at 04:03 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    I'll admit, I drank a little tooooo much
    friday night. And Since I have the key's I had to
    show up for practice.

Swam (sort of) with the Sharks (LCM)
    Coach Alex

4 x 200 SKPS (Swim Kick Pull Swim)

6 x 100 odd's Fly/Back, evens Breast Free :15r

6 x 50 Build :15r

6 x 200 :15 or so rest, pace the 1st five, hard on 6

2 x 300 Kick (We did 3 x 200)

Cooled down for the rest.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -07/20/10

by , July 19th, 2010 at 03:52 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:30 3:20
    2 X 100 1:45 1:40
    4 X 50 faster 1:00 :55
    Twice through. Round 1 intervals left, round 2 right.

1 X 200 kick 5:00
    6 X 50 kick 1:15
    50's: 4-6 are 25 fast/25 moderate

1 X 100 easy swim

4 X 100 free 2:00
    #1 25 fast/75 easy
    #2 50 fast/50 easy
    #3 75 fast/25 easy
    #4 100 fast

2 X 100 swim down 2:10

4 X 100 best stroke(no free) 2:30
    Variable speed, same as freestyle 100's.

2 X 100 swim down 2:10

SCY
    5 X 50
    blocks, 25 sprint and turn/25 easy

Categories
    Swim Workouts