View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Just wanted to stay in bed

by , August 26th, 2010 at 08:35 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I hit the snooze button the first time then the second time I turned it off but still did not get out of bed. After laying there and realizing I needed to swim to get my body loose I finally got up.

I don't think I ever really woke up completely until the end but with my left elbow hurting, left ankle stiff and right knee acting like it did when I was a kid. There was not much to swim with that didn't hurt. The joys of aches and pains of age. STINKS!

10x100@1:45 Free got faster as I work thru the aches
    500 Free kick w/fins as 25easy/25mod/25fast
    500 Free kick w/fins alt 100 on sides/6kicks then stroke
    10x50 from block sprint 20 meters rest easy free. 5 fly and 5 free
    3x200@3:00 Free w/paddles & bouy desc 1-3 went 2:51, 2:47, 2:35
    4x100@1:45 Free easy

Total 3500 yards

Updated August 26th, 2010 at 12:13 PM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Jimsley's Inferno, Day 1

by , August 26th, 2010 at 12:05 AM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    On Friday, August 20th, 2010, your narrator mounted his Honda CRV and headed to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, destination destiny.

After 4.5 hours, I was six miles away from my second home in Vienna, Va. One additional hour of rush hour traffic, I emerged from the Honda feeling a bit like a crucifixion victim allowed to come off the cross.

Leslie greeted me warmly, then a blond bombshell walked by, and I wondered why extras from Mad Men were also staying at the home Leslie owns through marriage and toil, and I own through squatter's rights, not that this bothered me.

(Brief aside: I am on hold with the Norton anti-virus company, and I can't do anything else but sit here and type, and I am going to make no effort whatsoever to restrain myself in the verbiage here. I am, in other words, going full 18th Century on my readers, that wonderful time of yore when readers had attention spans, and writers were paid by the word, the more the better. Ready yourself for a long, long, long and gloriously meandering read here, occasionally interrupted by the lady's voice on the telephone offering me other options for accessing Norton via online chat, email, etc.)

Anyhow, the Blondie turned out to be Ali, Leslie's not yet 16-year-old daughter, the kind of a babe that probably statutorially entrapped Jack Nicholson's into the Cuckoo's Nest and his Ratchety punishment.

So anyhow, I opted to stay in Leslie's son's room, who was sleeping over elsewhere, and when I went up to unload my stuff, Ali said, "I can't believe you are sleeping in my brother's bed."

I asked her why. She said because it was unbelievably disgusting. "Do you know what bad things he does there?"

I could not imagine.

Before I could self-edit, I found myself singing the lyric from the True Blood theme song: I wanna do bad things with you.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxINMuOgAu8"]YouTube- True Blood Opening Credits[/nomedia]

Ali ogled me peculiarly.

Rich arrived soon thereafter.

Let me quickly say at the outset here, before the wall of words becomes too overwhelming and I begin to shed readers like head hairs (I am still waiting for the next available customer service representative, by the way, on hold now for 25 continuous minutes and counting) that Rich Swim Stud Bell is an absolutely capital chap, and if you ever, ever have the chance to meet him in the flesh, your life will have taken one giant step towards fulfilling completion.

Rich SwimStud in a pensive mood.

Rich and I started discussing how lucky we were to be staying at Leslie's house for Colonies Zones, then I happened to mention that I technically was part owner of the compound, and that to be fully accurate, he, Rich, was lucky to be staying at Jim and Leslie's house, and I explained the squatter's rights business.

(Damn this Norton woman is annoying.)

Anyhow, Rich said there was just a court case in Connecticut where someone was a guest in someone else's house for two weeks, and that when the owner tried to get the deadbeat schnorrer out ( [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnorrer[/ame] ), it turned out that if after 2 weeks tenancy, you are a legal resident and have to be legally evicted!

I quickly made sure that Leslie knew I had been living in the Compound since SCY Colonies Zones championships the past April and had simply gone out for a bottle of milk and gotten lost, but that technically, I had been living there uninterruptedly for four months!

By the way, at that meet, readers may recall that I did my lifetime best in the 200 yard freestyle, breaking 1:55 for the first and only time. On the "event rankings" and later the "preliminary Top 10" list, this was good enough to earn me a tentative 10th place in the Top 10.

I am thrilled to announce this held:
    200 Freestyle SCY Men 55-59 (2010)
    # Name Age Club LMSC Time
    1 Michael T Mann 55 CMS Colorado 1:48.79
    2 Jack R Groselle 55 O*H* Lake Erie 1:49.76
    3 Phil L Dodson 57 IM Illinois 1:51.71
    3 Brad Horner 56 WMAC Wisconsin 1:51.71
    5 Paul G Karas 55 MICH Michigan 1:52.01
    6 Jim Mc Conica 59 VCM Southern Pacific 1:52.32
    7 Larry B Krauser 56 HMS Inland Northwest 1:54.03
    8 Larry W Wood 56 TXLA South Texas 1:54.48
    9 Donald B Gilchrist 56 NCMS North Carolina 1:54.73
    10 James Thornton 57 TPIT Allegheny 1:54.89

(Norton hold time: 45 minutes and counting. Basically, what I am trying to do is this. I just renewed my subscription to the tune of about $48. Then, this morning, I learned I get a better version of Norton for free through Comcast. I want to get my money back. Boy, they do not like to talk to you when the moolah is being regurgitated!}

So, time passed, Leslie cooked an absolutely delicious dinner for us, jokes were made, suit changes were discussed, bowels were nervously evacuated, hot flashes were experienced, reading glasses were misplaced, and the air conditioning setting was lowered to Arctic levels.

I went up to the bed where bad things have been rumored to have been done...

Lordy!

---------------------------------------

Okay, it's roughly nine hours and 200 years later, and I have my computer now protected by a new free Norton suite complimentary with Comcast Business Class, and I have had my payment for renewing my old Norton antivirus rebated to my credit card.

Let me make modern short shrift of what had earlier in the day looked to be a 678 page Gothic novel of swim meet remembrances.

• I slept in Zak's bed with the air conditioning turned to 66 degrees, the arctic blast evidently blowing from an overhead duct directly upon my socks-less feet.
    • Leslie, Rich, and I ate breakfast, lollygagged, then drove to the meet at the U. Maryland.
    • Rich shaved my back in showers. It was an unbelievably kind gesture. I had hoped for Ali and a couple of her friends in bikinis to do this, possibly humming the True Blood "I wanna do bad things with you" theme song, but when the chips were down, it was Rich Counter-Homophobic-SwimStud nonpareil who actually did this for me. You, sir, are a capital chap in an era where capital--the rich uncle of cash--is the King of Kings.
    • During the first 10 feet of my warm up, my toes and arches began cramping. I told myself this would go away. Some1600 meters of warm up later, my distant appendages continued to do a St. Vitus' Dance of their own, no conscious input from me whatsoever.
    • Last year at Indy, the only event I made the Top 10 in was the 200 LCM free. It was my first event in this meet, too.
    • Put on the speed jammer and hoped for the best in my dolphin-like hairless slick. Dolphins, however, do not get dorsal fin cramps.
    • On the start, I felt my legs cramping, but they semi-calmed down. I knew with the FINA mandated suit change, I would be slower this year than last year, but I didn't want to wimp out. I took the first 50 out fairly briskly, did a flip turn, and...
    • felt my left toe barely graze the wall. I actually wondered if I had touched the pad hard enough to register my presence. I almost went back to touch the nearly missed wall again, but then realized I would just argue my case afterwards.
    • I began kicking in a frenzy, my little arms joining the frenzy in an effort to accelerate from a dead stop to some actual forward progress.
    • This was a mistake.
    • Both sets of piggies, their attendant arches, and the calf-bones-connected-to-the-ankle-bones all fired a coordinated spasming attack cramp. For the next 50, I swam in a panic, all arms, my feet at right angles to my shins, trying to work out the cramps and soldier on.
    • Nearing the 100 m. mark, I realized that I was getting exhausted from this exercise in frenzied but mysteriously slow swimming, and realized I had to slow down a little or I wouldn't be able to finish.
    • The third length, I tried to lengthen out my stroke as I continued to work out the foot cramps.
    • The final turn was good, but I pushed off gingerly, hoping not to fire up a fresh insurrection of angry muscles. Once safely off the wall, I began to speed up, and found myself hoping against hope that I might actually have salvaged a mediocre time out of this, my best-chance-by-far-historically-speaking for making the Top 10 at the advanced age of 58 (deep into the heart of an age group whose members move, with relentless inexorability, ever closer to frailty and death with each passing day.)
    • This false hope was not to be.
    • Last year's time and splits in a B70 kneeskin:

Leg Cumulative Subtractive
    1 32.37 32.37
    2 1:07.06 34.69
    3 1:42.01 34.95
    4 2:14.73 32.72

• This year's pathetic performance swum in a Speedo LSR loaner jammer, with shaved back and literally cold feet:

Leg Cumulative Subtractive
    1 31.51 31.51
    2 1:10.03 38.52
    3 1:49.50 39.47
    4 2:25.80 36.30

• I was utterly miserable. This was a much slower time than I had done earlier in the week, at the end of practice, from a push off!
    • As much as I am prone to making excuses, I rarely believe them. Leslie and Rich told me that my 200 was bad because of the missed turn and the cramps; I knew the real reason. My 200 was bad because I was a bad swimmer. I seriously considered quitting forever. The thought that I have been fooling myself for nearly a decade now, thinking I was a mediocre swimmer as opposed to a bad, bad, bad swimmer, a beneficiary, if you will, of a cheating suit technology that provides approximately 6 seconds of help per 100 meters...well, it was too much for me to bear.
    • Flash forward to the 50.
    • Last year's time, again in B70 body suit, was a 27.76. This year's time, in a jammer, was a 28.26--exactly one-half second slower.
    • This did improve my mood a bit, I do concede. Not only did I still do an okay for me 50 in the old fashioned swimming costume, but my differential between Leslie actually widened. Her time last year: 28.67, which means that I beat her then by .91 seconds. This year, Leslie's time was a 30.02, which means I beat her now by 1.76 seconds.
    • A new measuring stick instantly suggested itself: The Leslie Unit, subsequently renamed the Leslie Coefficient. Rather than measuring myself by the number of seconds it takes me to swim a particular race, I will look at the differential between Leslie and me back in the glory years when she had a closetful assortment pack of then FINA-legal body kayaks to choose from, and I had the legendary Neill Williams' hand-me-down B70 kneeskin to compete in. As long as I maintained that Leslie Coefficient differential, or beat it, then I could feel I was holding ground against the Reaper!
    • Later I would discover than my 50 also widened its lead over the legendary Eney Jones, whose best times of last year and this year, respectively, were 28.42 and 30.09. If anything, my Eney Coefficient is even more impressive than my Leslie Coefficient, despite the fact that those two (one a former professional athlete, might I add) continue to be allowed by FINA to swatch vast swaths of their feminine hairless musculature with body suit fabric.
    • Speaking of Eney, here she is in the moments before beating me by over 3 minutes in the 2-mile cable swim:

Eney Jones, specimen extraordinaire, and Jim Thornton, ordinary specimen, prepare to swim

Jim tries to trick Eney into racing the 2 miles under water, but evidently she only pretends to fall for the ploy.

After her victory, Eney earns the right to manhandle my girlish moobs. This kind of thing is not about sex. It is about power.

• Anyhow, as the golfers know, drive for show, putt for dough, and I think Eney and Leslie both know who among our little tripartite menage is the real putter now.
    • Which brings us to the final event of Day 1: the 1500 with automatic filing for free of the 800 split.
    • Regular readers of these forums will recall that distance is not necessarily my bag, baby. Not my bag at all. I never would have signed up for the 1500 if the 800 had been available. On the other hand, I had something of a grudge match going with Eney, who did not finish (that is to day, DNF'd) the 1500 in Puerto Rico. In order to win, not just the 1500 but the 800 as well, all I had to do was finish. As Amanda pointed out on Facebook, if I simply F'd, Eney would have lost in one fell swoop another two legs of the five-legged LCM freestyle chair. (I should note that her 2:17.53 in Puerto Rico was probably sufficient to hold up a table by itself, but who really wants a one-legged table?)
    • Jeff Strahota, aka Muppet, aka the meet director, was a bit cold to my idea of going out hard for the 800, then spending the next hour or two cooling down on the final 700. I was afraid that if I went out too fast on the 800, without leaving myself enough energy to finish in time to keep the meet on schedule, I might not be able to finish at all. I, like Eney, would thus have DNF'd. But in my competition with Eney, I really, really, really wanted to F.
    • I opted for a mixed strategy: try a bit out of my comfort zone on the 800, reevaluate, and either loaf or finish up strong in the 1500.
    • Leslie was counting for me.
    • On lap No. 19, her little underwater counter sign said 17. I couldn't believe I'd miscounted.
    • The rest of that agonizing swim, I chanted the word Snakebit over and over. I recounted and became convinced Leslie, not me, had miscounted. On my lap 25, which Leslie said was 23, I did an open turn and said I thought she had miscounted. I finished the race, and somebody started yelling I had two more to go.
    • Afterwards, I checked with the computer operator and it turned out...
    • I had been right all along, Leslie less so. So I did a horrible time on my 1600 m, and not a whole lot better on my 1500.
    • Alas, so bad are this year's times in my age group, that if I had finished a bit stronger in both, I might have squeaked in for a Top 10 in both the 800 and 1500, this despite the truly pathetic cool down speed of my snakebit day.
    • We returned to the Compound where I attempted to unkink my crushed little legs and arms and rekindle my energies like the squashed cockroach I was. Only one semi-decent swim of Day 1: the 50. And that, I told myself, was probably the real fluke.

After my assorted failures, Leslie tries to coax me into once again believing in myself, but once one loses faith in a false deity like me, it is very hard for even us most gullible of sheep to rekindle it.

• Without the magic cheating suit, guys like me, I figured, are as pathetic in reality as we once believed ourselves great in imagination.
    • Back home, I got Leslie to lend me some socks, which were pink, and kept my extremities warm all night in that bed where bad things are rumored to have taken place but in my case didn't, really, I can assure you of that! A few pages of The Girl Who Played with Fire, then the nasal pillows went in my nostrils, the CPAP was turned on, and out I went for the night, shivering.
    • I also borrowed a little red jacket that didn't fit me very well. I thought someone had snapped a picture of me in my borrowed pink socks and Leslie jacket, but this picture can't at the moment be found. In any event, this was the genesis of Jimsley, an amalgam of me with the trappings of Leslie. It is also spelled Jimslie, though my brother Johnny boy, who coined the neologism, originally just went with Jimsley.
    • Tomorrow, I thought as I drifted off with 8 cm of water pressure blowing up my nose, was another day...and another opportunity for races to get F'd by Jimsley, pink socks notwithstanding.
    • More on this soon. (Readers of Dante's Inferno, in whose ranks I admit I am not a member myself, can look forward to a change of fortunes on Day 2, in which our protagonistic Jimsley, like Euridyce or whoever the guy was in the Dante book, makes his way up from Hell and into the very thick of Purgatorio!)
    • Oh, for those wondering, the following is my bag, baby, thanks to the incredibly generous Amanda Chicken of the Sea Hunt. When you think about it, between Rich shaving my back, and Amanda giving me kangaroo scrotums (so that when people tell me to grow a pair, I will have a place to put the seeds and Miracle Grow fertilizer), anyhow, between the two of these wonderful Queen-fearing British Empirians, it really does make you think we American hicks should have remained under King George's rule. It was a mistake to try going it on our own. We just aren't civilized enough.

Updated August 26th, 2010 at 09:34 AM by jim thornton

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Drylands + Yoga, Wed., Aug. 25

by , August 25th, 2010 at 07:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    back extensions w/10 lb plate, 2 x 20
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    pull ins in push up position w/15 lb DBs, 2 x 20
    lunges w/15 lb DBs, 2 x 15
    step ups, 18 inch box, 2 x 25
    body rows, 2 x 15
    twisting med ball slams, 2 x 15
    skull crushers, 40 x 2 x 15
    Icarian leg abductor, 90 x 2 x 15
    squat w/10 lb med ball toss, 2 x 15
    kneeling ab crunches, 100 x 2 x 25 (weight felt more like 50)
    alternating hammers, 30 x 2 x 30
    goblet squats, 60 x 2 x 10
    Ryan Lochte, bench and reverse scoop (from between legs to above head) moves w/35 lb plate, 2 x 15 each: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va3JJuXDyhc"]YouTube- Ryan Lochte Training[/nomedia] (I like some of these explosive moves.)

RC work

P90X Yoga, 50 minutes:

Made it through approx 50 minutes of the 90 minute DVD before my Mom arrived for a visit. I am really tight. I need to plug my yoga DVDs in more frequently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I feel like that was a decent start on the road to dryland fitness. I still feel like I have some dryland strength, but not dryland conditioning. I'm not sure how important conditioning is for 50s & 100s, but it makes me feel more fit.

And I'm still contemplating the appropriate mix of my drylands this season. I am inclined to throw in some P90X DVDs. I'm also contemplating jump roping. I think the latter might be especially good for conditioning. But I'm not sure that my toe/foot could handle it (I really need to see a podiatrist to figure out what exactly is wrong with it. ) and I'm not sure I could commit to it. I also need to get back to the pull ups and chin ups.

Back to the pool tomorrow. I may do Patrick's workout from today.

Updated August 25th, 2010 at 10:31 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  4. Wednesday, 8/25/10

by , August 25th, 2010 at 05:24 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Warm up
    300 Swim, mixed free and back
    3 x 100/1:35 Build w/Fins

Kick & Drills
    Kick 3 x 100/2:00 Strong - Flutter w/fins, no board, rotating side to side w/arms by side
    Drill 1 x 100/10sr - Back
    Kick 6 x 50/1:15 Very Strong - Flutter on back

Swim Free
    9 x 100/1:40 Strong - (70% - 80%)
    4 x 50/50 smooth

Swim
    8 x 50/1:00 Odds - 25 smooth - 25 Fast Finishes Evens - 25 fast Breakouts - 25 smooth
    (did 1-6 free, 7-8 back)

Warm down
    100 easy free/back

Total: 2900 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -08/26/10

by , August 25th, 2010 at 03:29 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    2 X 150 2:30 2:15
    3 X 100 1:40 1:30
    4 X 50 descend 1-4 1:00 :45
    Twice through, round 1 intervals left, round 2 right.

6 minute vertical kick 50 seconds on/10 off

1 X 100 kick 2:20
    8 X 25 kick *fast* :40

4 X 200 3:00
    8 X 50 descend 1-4/5-8 :45
    3 X 200 2:40
    6 X 50 descend 1-3/4-6 :40

1 X 800 pull

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5000Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Workout 8/25

by , August 25th, 2010 at 10:34 AM (Random Nonsense)
    SCY - Had the lane to myself until the last 400.

Warm up
    - 400 swim
    - 200 kick
    Transition
    - 4x50 odd back/free, even drill/swim
    Main Set
    - 4x150 on 1:50 (about 5s rest)
    - 300 back
    - 3x400 on 5:00* (4:48, 4:49, 4:42)
    Cool down
    - 200 ez

* Took a minute extra rest between #2 and #3 trying to break 4:40. Marshall dove into the lane as I was coming into the wall at the 200 and I got washed into the lane line. I should have swam faster.

This workout took me 44.5 minutes from the time I dove in until I started cool down. Dennis asked me if workout was short, since it only took him 48 minutes to get to the cool down and I pointed out that there is almost no rest in today's workout. We are also used to doing about 3100 LCM, so today's workout would have felt short even if there were more short distance sets adding to our rest.

Updated August 25th, 2010 at 01:39 PM by qbrain

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Were did this one come from

by , August 25th, 2010 at 08:43 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Was intending to take it easy today but as luck would have it I felt really good and fast.

400,300,200,100@:15R Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd fast
    Do this next one as a straight 700 kick as follows w/fins streamline on back:
    200 Fly
    200 Back
    100 Fly Fast
    100 Back Fast
    50 Fly
    50 Back
    5x100@1:30 as 50 Free/50 Back w/paddles & bouy
    10x100@1:25 Free w/paddles & bouy
    300 Free easy

Total 4000 yard
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Tuesday, Aug. 24

by , August 24th, 2010 at 08:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

I was feeling tired, bored and listless this am, so slamming med balls seemed like a good idea. I did 2 x 25 and then realized I was too tired for rigorous drylands. For me, they require sleep. It takes awhile for me to get out of a bad sleep cycle and into a good one. Planning to head to the gym tomorrow and start down the long road to fitness and strength. Need to get fierce.

I'm considering really emphasizing drylands and reducing pool time this fall. I haven't decided yet, but I'm considering 3-4 x drylands and 1-2 x yoga per week, if I can realistically fit that in. With 4 x swim. The mix of drylands is not yet determined. I may combine some of my pre-Indy strength routine with TRX. Wrt weight lifting, I'm not sure if I should follow my usual ADD pattern and do many different exercises or whether I should focus on a few and then direct my ADD bent to core exercises. Mulling it over ...

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Transition Set:

8 x 100 @ 1:45
    odds = free w/paddles
    evens= kick w/paddles as kickboard

75 EZ

Kick Set, Test Set:

Inspired by Chris, I have decided I need to do/track more test sets this next year. Not sure what they should consist of, but I'd like to have 3-4 sets. Any suggestions? Inspired by Geek, I decided my first one of the year would be 10 x 50 kick. However, I gave it a sprint endurance spin and did them, without fins, on the 1:15. I think this is the correct interval for a sprint endurance type set, but would happily hear other ideas. 1:00 wouldn't work as well b/c of the hypoxic element.

10 x 50 backstroke kick, no fins @ 1:15

Though I'd like to keep this as a test set, I didn't kill it today. Of course, it's hard to kill 10 of them ... I'd call today's effort a "good effort" set.

Times: 39, 39, 38, 38, 38, 37, 37, 36, 37, 36
    1st 25 = 12 SDK, 2nd 25 = 9-10 DK

125 EZ

Aerobic Set:

4 x through:

50 russian breast drill @ 1:00
    50 roll backstroke drill @ 1:00
    50 kick, done as 25 fast dolphin w/board (went 11-12s) + 25 EZ
    50 EZ

100 EZ

Total: 3100

Commentary:

I was reasonably pleased to get this workout in given that I have felt somewhat unmotivated and directionless lately. It's still almost 2 weeks until school starts, and I am having trouble savoring the rest of summer instead of wishing it away.

Aside from dead lifts, squats and back extensions, can anyone suggest other specific drylands for strengthening the hip extensors and back extensors? Perhaps TRX, core, overhead squats, and yoga would hit the back extensors sufficiently? (I feel like I never made any real progress in my overhead squats, which are very hard.)

Found this on a quick google:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/96...nsor-strength/

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...stability.html

This looks like a good exercise as well. The turkish get up: http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...stability.html

Article on Phelps: http://ht.ly/2tUI4

Updated August 24th, 2010 at 08:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  9. Sunday and Monday

by , August 24th, 2010 at 08:16 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Sunday swam with the Sharks LCM

Had about 15 people at the pool.
    9 from the New Albany Masters.
    Their pool is shutdown for maintenance, so we
    offered to let them swim at our workouts till
    it's open.

10 Min Warmup (I was busy, got about 2 min)
    4 x 50 I think

All Swim, all :15r or so.

I forget what else.

Monday Coached the Sharks
    Swam a modified version of coach [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17384"]kopies[/ame]
    Practice 1

I swam last fridays workout after work.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -08/25/10

by , August 24th, 2010 at 04:59 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:40
    1 X 400 6:20
    3 X 100 1:30
    1 X 300 4:30
    2 X 100 1:30
    1 X 200 -

3 X 100 kick 2:15
    4 X 50 kick 1:10
    8 X 25 kick *fast* :40

The following set is a repeat from Monday 8-23. We were unable to do it due to lightning.

1 X 300 free 4:30
    3 X 100 IM 1:45
    3 X 100 free 1:30
    1 X 300 IM 6:00
    Twice through

5100Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Not quite moving on yet...

Wow, just totally found out I'm not moving until Oct 1st and not Sept 1st. Simultaneously bummed and excited.

I am bummed because I'm excited to live on my own.

I am excited because I now have time to get my stuff together a little better.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Horsetooth Open Water Swim Race - Aug 15, 2010

The Horsetooth Open Water race is in Fort Collins, Colorado; this race is very popular one because it's a beautiful area of where the lake in radius of mountains. The race has 2.4 Miles and 10K events.

As for me, I did do 2.4 Miles. I hope I would spot my personal time of under 59 minutes, but when I finished the line, I took a look at the time clock. I am not satisfied with my time of 1:04.52. I am not alone who swam slower. Almost everyone else swam slower than their best personal times in the past. I will do it again next year, but I made a commitment to do 10K on August 14, 2011.

In my weebly blog, I wrote a new post including a video regarding this Horsetooth race. Here my website is:

http://www.mickipoole.weebly.com/
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Tuesday, 8/24/10

by , August 24th, 2010 at 01:14 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Warm up
    400 choice
    (free/back by 100's)
    12 x 50/55 - 5th, 9th , & 12th FAST
    (45 for all but the fast ones which were 40-41)

Kick Set
    4 x 100/15sr No Fins
    (did flutter kick on back. ave 2:06-07)

Base Endurance Set
    1 x 400/7:00 (6:20)
    2 x 200/3:30 (3:05, 3:10)
    4 x 100/1:45 (1:33, 1:31, 1:32, 1:34)
    8 x 50/55 (44-45 for all)

300 Warm down
    (all easy backstroke)

Total: 3300 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Monday, 8/23/10

by , August 24th, 2010 at 01:10 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

I went to swim in the evening thinking I would have plenty of time to do the workout only to find that with the new pool schedule lap swim would only be an hour then the pool would close. Grrr.

Warm up
    6 x 100/10sr
    Alternate 100 swim - 100 drill - 100 kick
    (did this continuous 300 free then 300 back)

Swim
    6 x 200/5:00 - Choice - Strong Builds
    Went 3:05 for 1-3, 3:02, 3:00, 3:01

Kicks - With Fins
    10 x 50/2:30 for each 2
    Alternate 50 FAST with 50 Recovery
    (did fast ones around 35-37, recovery ones around 45)

Cool Down
    100 easy

Total: 2400 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Tue Aug 24, 2010

by , August 24th, 2010 at 12:28 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue Aug 24, 2010

Sat Aug 21 swam
    Sun Aug 22 no practice
    Mon Aug 23 missed practice & stayed home
    tue Aug 24th slept in

Dear Friends,

I'm sorry, lately I've been very stressed & distracted & just not that into swimming after the 2010 LCM season ended.

I planned to lose weight & get stronger, but haven't hit the gym in a while.

My weight loss has been going great, recently I've weighed under 200 lbs & as low as 197ish. The stress helped me lose weight. I weighed around 224 at 2010 SCY Nats. Think I'll hover between 195 to 200.

Sunday night, I had a personal crisis come to a head, barely slept maybe from 3 to 5. Monday was difficult, slept well last night & today is even better. It's forcing some positive changes.

I hope to train tomorrow and get back on track.

Soon I will figure out my 2010 SCM goals.
    Categories
    Planning
  16. A slight return to the evil stroke

by , August 24th, 2010 at 08:31 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I decided to test the condition of my knees out today with a little breaststroke. Not too bad if I do say so myself.

500 Free every 3rd lap breast skull
    10x50@:50 Free
    600 Free kick w/fins as 25easy/25mod/25fast
    4x200@:30R Breast #1 kick #2 pull w/fins & dolphin kick #3 pull w/bouy #4 Swim
    10x100 Free w/paddles & bouy #1-4@1:30 #5-7@1:25 #8-9@1:20 #10@1:15 made all went 1:21, 1:21, 1:22, 1:22, 1:20, 1:20, 1:21, 1:17, 1:17, 1:15
    200 Free easy

Total 3600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Dover day 5

I arrived in Dover on the 20th of August. It was a sunny day but breezy with white caps visible just beyond the harbor. An international scene and busy for a friday on the pebble beach and in the water with several relay teams (matching kits the dead giveaway) and lots of soloists. The mexican flag was waving and just next to that party was a group of 12 year olds in matching green terry cloth changing ponchos. Most of the gathered were at the end of their mid-august tide.... a complete blowout, but were holding on to some hope that the winds would change and they might get a shot at a crossing before the next tide begins on the 29th. The forecasts are not good.

I spent the night at Churchill House with my friend and Brighton Beach training partner, Jordan Waxman. J has been here for a week and has extended his stay a couple of times already, but time is running out for him, and I fear that if he doesn't get a shot by this weeks end, he will have to abort.
    There is a chance (albeit small) that he may get to go out tonight around midnight, but we won't know for sure until 7 PM. Jordan and I have contracted the same pilot, Paul Foreman, and I am hoping to be able to crew for him, so.... fingers crossed.

I moved into my caravan at Varne Ridge on saturday. Just 4.5 miles south of Dover proper, this will be my home for the next 3 weeks. My hosts, Evelyn and David really cater to channel swimmers, and plaques line the alley of the entrance and include all the swimmers that have stayed here.... the list reads like a who's who of marathon swimming... very humbling. VR stocks a healthy supply of gear and supplies for swimmers including channel grease, feed poles, thermal jugs, glow sticks, etc. and make it all readily available. (perhaps I could have gotten away with just a carry-on bag).

I'll write more later. The sun is shining and I want to get outside.

PS. I haven't forgotten about the Boston Light swim... recap still to come.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Monday, Aug. 23

by , August 23rd, 2010 at 08:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

20 x 50 @ :50 w/fins
    odds = back kick
    evens = back

50 EZ

4 x:

100 IM/Stroke @ 1:45
    100 kick w/fins pretty fast @ 1:30
    50 fly drill

12 x 25 shooters

100 EZ

Total: 3100

Commentary:

I am rather exhausted and out of sorts from a week of very poor sleep. (Maybe from Jimsley/Stud/Michelina deprivation too. ) I contemplated snoozing on the couch this afternoon, but thought better of that and drove to OakMarr. I felt much better in the water and after swimming, though I am yawning again now.

Mr. Fort informed me that Savageman is Sept. 19. I had thought it was the week after. Had I known that, I would have approached last week differently. And regardless of that, I likely shouldn't have done so many taper workouts last week. If I had a do over, I would have done more pace & speed work Sat-Wed and just rested a couple days for the meet. Live and learn.

I still have the blahs a bit too, probably from fatigue. But I think I need to get my meets/goals in order so I can put a little fire into my training. Jimsley brought up the idea of swimming in the SCM meet in Indy at the end of October. I may consider doing this meet, which is the week after the Sprint Classic (Oct. 24). I also read that the fastest woman in the world in the 50 fly in my age group is dead lifting 255, showing the importance of hip extensors and back extensors in fly. I had better get my dryland ass in gear! I'm a weakling by comparison.

Are there any more meets in the LCM season? I'm hoping not as, according to the event rankings, my 50s are all hanging in there for TT. I'm rather surprised about my slip and fall 50 evil. I guess no one wants to swim LC evilstroke.

Updated August 24th, 2010 at 12:52 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout: 08/24/10

by , August 23rd, 2010 at 07:08 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    3 X 100 1:40 1:30
    2 X 200 3:20 3:00
    Twice through. Round 1 intervals left,round 2 right.

1 X 200 kick 4:20
    4 X 50 kick 1:10
    8 X 25 kick :40

10 X 50 1:00
    odd: free
    even: stroke

1 X 100 free moderate 2:00
    2 X 50 stroke 1:00
    6 X 25 stroke *fast* :45
    Three times through

6 X 150 free 2:30
    odd: moderate
    even: fast

4650Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. 8/23 Workout

by , August 23rd, 2010 at 12:57 PM (Random Nonsense)
    LCM

Warm up
    -- repeat x4
    - 100 swim
    - 50 back
    - 50 drill
    Main Set
    - 12x50 Pace descend 1-4* on :10 sec rest
    -- held :40s on :50
    - 6x100 on :15 sec rest (supposed to be w/ fins and faster than the 50s)
    -- held sub 1:20 on 1:30 (never had 15 seconds rest, but more than 10)
    - 3x200 on :20 rest
    -- did back as cool down

Pace decends on 10 seconds rest made no sense to me. Still doesn't. Held a consistent pace, but the only pace I can think it would be is an 800 pace. The 100s holding 1:16-1:19s was decent, but that was about it for decent from this workout.

In retrospect, I like the structure of the set and could have used it as type of 200 pacing set maybe adding more rest to the 100s and 200s instead of taking it away. Set a goal pace of 2:35 for the 200s, and working backwards, swim the 100s on 1:17/18 and the 50s on 38/39. Not a race pace set, but a learning to pace shorter distances in prep for longer distances.

Today was not a cluster, only Todd showed up and after the 50s we ended up splitting the lane so we could work on our own intervals.

I am disappointed in my workout and could have made more of it.
    Categories
    Uncategorized