View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Colonies Zones LCM meet report

Over the weekend I competed at Colonies LC Zones at College Park, MD. It was a fun and well run meet in a pool that I very much liked. I got to see a bunch of folks from the blogs and forums, many of whom I was meeting in person for the first time, so that was great. I also had a few teammates and a coach at the meet, which was really nice. My favorite fashion statement at the meet was Jim T.ís fuzzy-pink-socks-with-leather-sandals combo.

The trip down by train was easy, and I got a zipcar once I got to College Park. (I love love love Zipcars, btw). I arrived on Friday afternoon, and by Saturday morning I felt like a kid waiting for Christmas as I waited around for the meet to start that afternoon (noon warm-ups, 1pm start). Hereís my Saturday events and how I swam them:

100 Breaststroke: 1:30.10 (41.78, 48.32)
    This was a solid time drop from my 1:34.0 (44.8, 49.3) at Middlebury. I was happy with this swim, but need to continue refining my br technique. Since Middlebury I have gone to a narrower kick, and the new way of doing things hasnít quite settled in yetóI feel like Iím still experimenting around, and doing something slightly different on every single stroke. Coach Craig also said Iím separating my hands too early in my strokeóI need to hold my streamline a scooch longer to take advantage of that position during the most propulsive part of my kick. It was encouraging to swim a decent time on this and still feel like thereís a lot of room for improvement.

100 Backstroke: 1:18.40 (38.27, 40.13)
    This might have been the best BK start Iíve ever done, and definitely the longest underwater off a start Iíve ever tried. For the last month or so Iíve tried rotating about 45 degrees to the left on my udk, and this seems to make it easier for me. (This was a Boomer idea, with the rationale that you want to be using slightly different stabilizing muscles, or using them slightly differently, during the udk than the ones youíre using during your regular stroke, to avoid fatiguing them if possible. I also find that it somehow helps me keep water out of my nose, and puts me in a more natural position to start my first armstroke on the breakout). Leslie mentioned that my breakout might could still be a little smoother (ie more horizontal, less of a popping out), and Iím sure thatís something I need to continue to work on.
    The time bettered my swim at Wilton last month 1:19.79 (39.3, 40.5).

50 Free: 30.89
    This was an ok effortóIím glad to be under 31, hope to get back under 30 eventually, but nothing about my training led me to believe that would happen at this meet. My freestyle felt a little raggedy, as it has in training this summer, but I felt like I was getting some good power on at least some strokes, so thereís some hope there.

After my events Saturday I had a relaxing swim in the outdoor pool at the rec center (one of the perks of staying at the on-campus hotel) in the sunshine, and then an early dinner with my friend Andrea from New Jersey. I was back at the hotel and asleep by 8:30!

And that was good, because things started early the next morning (7:30 warmup, 8:30 start):

50 Breaststroke: 41.10
    Again, my stroke technique was just feeling a bit uncertain. I as actually hoping for a better time after going out 41.7 in my 100 BR.

200 IM: 2:53.45 (39.47, 43.48, 51.03, 39.47)
    I was happy with this race. The fly was as relaxed a fly leg as I have swum in quite a while, and finding some easy speed there has been a real challenge for me for the last couple of years. Midway through the backstroke I had one of those ďOh no, my arms feel really tired, and I have soooo far left to goĒ wailing to myself moments, but I just told myself I had swum with tired arms before and to keep on working it. I kept up the turnover on my breaststroke, and willed myself to kick all the way on my freestyle. My time is a nice drop from the 3:01 I swam earlier this season (43.9, 45.8, 52.8, 39.0), although I actually finished stronger on that one. My coach was excited that I exactly matched my FL and FR splits.

50 Backstroke: 36.62
    This was an ok swim, not a great one. Itís a bit over a second faster than I swam mid-season, so Iíll take it. I did a fairly good job of keeping some rotation while I speeded up my turnover, but this swim just lacked the gung-ho feeling that 50s feel like they should have. I also did an even longer underwater kick than on my 100 backstroke, and I think I need to get someone with a stopwatch to time me doing various numbers of kicks to see what is optimal for a 50óit might be that Iím not a good enough dolphin kicker to warrant all that time underwater.

That was itó6 events in less than 24 hours!

When I looked at the event rankings Iím currently at 8-10 in several events, so Iíll see if any of those hold up. It is cool that swims from this meet are already in the rankings. I was also glad to see that my Wilton results are now included. That gives me an almost-complete event set in the USMS database from this LCM season:

http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/indre...=45&highage=49

Graphs might be forthcoming!

I should go for a recovery swim todayóIím pretty sore. I do have a massage scheduled for this afternoon.

Tomorrow we head out to Vancouver Island for week for a family wedding plus vacation. Iím not sure how much Iíll swim. Asphalt Green is closed until after Labor Day once I return, so this might just be a good time to take a break from the pool.
    Tags: lcm, meet report
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Not particularly motivated today

by , August 23rd, 2010 at 08:36 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I wanted to swim hard but the motivation was just not there. I switched up my sets sometimes right in the middle of doing it.

10x50@:50 Free
    5x100@1:30 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd lap fast
    5x100@2:00 alt Free/Fly by 100 kick w/fins & snorkle good head position
    2x100@1:30 Free kick w/fins all out went 1:15, 1:20 legs just died
    500 Free w/paddles & bouy easy went 7:13
    5x100@1:25 Free w/paddles & bouy
    300 Free easy

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Saturday For Real

by , August 22nd, 2010 at 05:56 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Swam With the Sharks SCY

This is straight form Alex's word doc

10 min warm up on own
    8 x 75 Kick drill swim 1:30/1:40
    4 x 50 build :50/1:00

4 x 25 A.O.S. :20/:25/:30
    100 E.Z. 30 sec rest.

1 x 50 A.O.S. :40/:45/:55
    3 x 25 A.O.S. :20/:25/:30
    125 E.Z. 30 sec rest.

2 x 50 A.O.S. :40/:45/:55
    2 x 25 A.O.S. :20/:25/:30
    150 E.Z. 30 sec rest.

3 x 50 A.O.S. :40/:45/:55
    1 x 25 A.O.S. :20/:25/:30
    175 E.Z. 30 sec rest.

4 x 50 A.O.S. :40/:45/:55
    200 E.Z

2 x 50 E.Z. 1:00/1:10

1 x 75 A.O.S. :55/100/1:20
    3 x 50 A.O.S. :40/:45/:55
    225 E.Z. 30 sec rest

2 x 75 A.O.S. :55/100/1:20
    2 x 50 A.O.S. :40/:45/:55
    250 E.Z. 30 sec rest

3 x 75 A.O.S. :55/100/1:20
    1 x 50 A.O.S. :40/:45/:55
    275 E.Z. 30 sec rest

4 x 75 A.O.S. :55/100/1:20
    300 E.Z. 30 sec rest

100 E.Z.

3 x 200 on 2:30

200 cool down

I don't remember what A.O.S means, all I know is that all of the 25's, 50's, 75 etc were Fast Pace with short rest.

Of course I got in almost 15 min late after taking care of admin things.

Good workout.
    It was good to set a goal and hold it for (almost) all of
    the fast pace swim's.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. LCM Zones, Aug. 21-22

by , August 22nd, 2010 at 04:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Quick Summary:

Had a fantastic time hanging out with my swim friends! Way to go Muppet for a well run meet! Had two good swims and two personal worsts. It pretty much went as expected -- I had no easy speed and felt choppy and ploddish. That's what comes of taking 6 weeks off since SCY Nats and not doing much speed work. Each day, I was grateful that I had only signed up for the 4 50s and not been foolishly ambitious. All my 50s (except breast where I slipped on the start) were about the same: great start, great 25, fading painfully and miserably last the 10-15 meters or so. My expectations were firmly in check, so it was all good. I didn't expect to be near my Indy times, which were the product of great training, great atmospherics and (to some degree) tech suits.

Meet Analysis:

Saturday:

50 fly, 31.22

I had a great reaction, exploded off the blocks, and had a nice clean entry. Came up 1/2 body length ahead on the field. After struggling with starts for the last year, I decided to take Stud's start advice, which just involves a neutral position on the blocks and reaching for the water. I popped up earlier than usual, but that could have been because of the lack of tech suits. I hadn't done a start since Nationals (didn't even bother with one in warm up), so was pleasantly surprised. My stroke felt very bouncy. But I have done zero fast fly since July. My kick was strong, but I just couldn't smooth things out. Faded the last 10 meters though Jimsely said I looked "energetic." The pool was darker and less clean than usual and I had trouble picking up the wall at the end. Still, my previous non-"rubber" Pro time was 31.6. My previous non-Nats B70 time was 30.7. So I didn't feel like this was too bad really. The times ahead of me in the event rankings are one tech suit time and two times from new 45 year old Olympians in my age group.

50 free, 30.0

This is my personal worst as a masters. I had another great start, but completely tied up with 15 meters to go, lost my kick and felt choppy. I had hoped to just break 30, and was bummed not to. But I don't feel I can expect much more right now. For some reason, when I'm not in good condition, my free really suffers. It's just not my natural stroke. Still, the time shouldn't have been that close to my fly time.

Sunday:

The day started off rather rough. I only got 4 hours sleep Saturday night after a bout of insominia. I had planned to get up at 7:15, but got up at 6:00 am instead after sleep proved impossible. I wasn't nervous at all for this meet, so I think my lack of sleep may have been from over caffeination. I had a tummy ache today too, which was either caused excess GU/gatorade or the untimely arrival of AF or both. I was out of Smart Water and drank Gatorade and Vitamin Water instead, but both taste so sweet and seemed to disagree with me.

50 breast, 41.8

Another personal worst. The starter held us forever and I wasn't comfortable on the start. I slipped. (Jimsley could not resist immediately pointing this out after my race.) This is the same thing that happened to me in the 50 evil 2 years ago at this meet in the same lane. After that, I swam somewhat half heartedly and couldn't get my turnover going. I think I was inadequately warmed up possibly, or just a bit out of it. Swimming breaststroke in a kneeskin, moreover, felt like a different stroke. After making strides last year in this stroke, I'm not terribly encouraged to carry on.

50 back, 33.4:

I had another great start and came up even with Fall W. Swam well and smoothly for about 35 meters and then lost it again and chopped to the finish in survival mode. Still, given how I felt, I was happy with the time. Aside from Indy, I've swum a 33.4 twice before at Zones, once with a B70 and a slip on the start and once with a Pro. My only secret goal for this meet was to be faster in this event than the winning time at Nats, which I did. With the kind of conditioning I had last summer, I'm sure I could break 33 again even with a kneeskin.

Commentary:

Even though I wasn't in great shape and my swims were somewhat sketchy, I'm glad I did the meet. It was great fun. And, having now experienced the effects of lack of race pace training and drylands, I'm anxious to get back to training. My team doesn't start training again until Sept. 2, so I'm on my own until then. I feel like my best training in this summer was the 3 weeks after my Baltic trip where I swam 2x a week with my team. I'm not sure my solo routine works as well in LCM. Even for 50s, a huge amount of conditioning is required to swim fast.

My shoulders feel all mashed up just from the 50s. I think a recovery swim is in order tomorrow. I cannot even complain b/c Mr. Fort did the Reston Century Ride today.

My house guests swam extremely well! Jimby swims just as fast without a B70 (despite all that fretting) and Stud posted several personal bests.

Attached is a pic from SwimShark who came to the meet to cheer us on after her foot surgery. (From left to right: SwimShark, Stud, Michelina, Geoff (former teammate from Indy), me and Little Devi Roddin).

I have no idea why my computer keeps double posting my blog entries. Sorry!

Updated August 22nd, 2010 at 10:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40227_432388178048_600738048_4777675_2752844_n.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	6470  
  5. LCM Zones, Aug. 21-22

by , August 22nd, 2010 at 04:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Quick Summary:

Had a fantastic time hanging out with my swim friends! Had two good swims and two personal worsts. It pretty much went as expected -- I had no easy speed and felt choppy and ploddish. That's what comes of taking 6 weeks off since SCY Nats and not doing much speed work. Each day, I was grateful that I had only signed up for the 4 50s and not been foolishly ambitious. All my 50s (except breast where I slipped on the start) were about the same: great start, great 25, fading painfully and miserably last 15 meters. My expectations were very much in check, so it was all good. I didn't expect to be near my Indy times, which were the product of great training, great atmospherics and (to some degree) tech suits. And I'll happily take my 50 fly/back times.

Meet Analysis:

Saturday:

50 fly, 31.22

I had a great reaction, exploded off the blocks, and had a nice clean entry. Came up 1/2 body length ahead on the field. After struggling with starts for the last year, I decided to take Stud's start advice, which just involves a neutral position on the blocks and reaching for the water. I popped up earlier than usual, but that could have been because of the lack of tech suits. I hadn't done a start since Nationals (didn't even bother with one in warm up), so was pleasantly surprised. My stroke felt very bouncy. But I have done zero fast fly since July. My kick was strong, but I just couldn't smooth things out. Faded the last 10 meters though Jimsely said I looked "energetic." The pool was darker and less clean than usual and I had trouble picking up the wall at the end. Still, my previous non-"rubber" Pro time was 31.6. My previous non-Nats B70 time was 30.7. So I didn't feel like this was too bad really. The times ahead of me in the event rankings are one tech suit time and two times from new 45 year old Olympians in my age group.

50 free, 30.0

This is my personal worst as a masters. I had another great start, but completely tied up with 15 meters to go, lost my kick and felt choppy. I had hopped to break 30, and was bummed not to. But I don't feel I can expect much more right now. For some reason, when I'm not in good condition, my free really suffers. It's just not my natural stroke. Still, the time shouldn't have been that close to my fly time.

Sunday:

The day started off rather rough. I only got 4 hours sleep Saturday night after a bout of insominia. I had planned to get up at 7:15, but got up at 6:00 am instead after sleep proved impossible. I wasn't nervous at all for this meet, so I think my lack of sleep may have been from over caffeination. I had a tummy ache today too, which was either caused GU or the untimely arrival of AF or both.

50 breast, 41.8

Another personal worst. The starter held us forever and I wasn't comfortable on the start. I slipped. This is the same thing that happened to me in the 50 evil 2 years ago at this meet in the same lane. After that, I swam somewhat half heartedly and couldn't get my turnover going. I think I was inadequately warmed up possibly, or just a bit out of it. Swimming breaststroke in a kneeskin, moreover, felt like a different stroke. After making strides last year in this stroke, I'm not terribly encouraged to carry on.

50 back, 33.4:

I had another great start and came up even with Fall W. Swam well and smoothly for about 35 meters and then lost it again and chopped to the finish in survival mode. Still, given how I felt, I was happy with the time. Aside from Indy, I've swum a 33.4 twice before at Zones, once with a B70 and a slip on the start and once with a full body zipper Pro. My only secret goal for this meet was to be faster in this event than the winning time at Nats, which I did. With the kind of conditioning I had last summer, I'm sure I could break 33 again even with a kneeskin.

Commentary:

Even though I wasn't in great shape and my swims were somewhat sketchy, I'm glad I did the meet. It was great fun. And, having now experienced the effects of lack of race pace training and drylands, I'm anxious to get back to training. My team doesn't start training again until Sept. 2, so I'm on my own until then. I feel like my best training in this summer was the 3 weeks after my Baltic trip where I swam 2x a week with my team. I'm not sure my solo routine works as well in LCM. Even for 50s, a huge amount of conditioning is required to swim fast.

My shoulders feel all mashed up just from the 50s. I think a recovery swim is in order tomorrow.

My house guests swam extremely well! Jimby swims just as fast without a B70 (despite all that fretting) and Stud posted personal bests.

Attached is a pic from SwimShark who came to the meet to cheer us on after her foot surgery.

Updated August 22nd, 2010 at 09:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  6. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM workout: 08/23/10

by , August 22nd, 2010 at 01:13 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    This will be our last LCM workout. SC starts Tuesday.

LCM
    WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:45
    4 X 50 kick 1:15
    4 X 150 50 free/50 stroke/50 free 2:45
    4 X 100 kick 2:30

1 X 300 free *neg split* 5:00
    3 X 100 IM 2:00
    3 X 100 free 1:45
    1 X 300 IM 6:00
    Twice through

10 X 50 1:10
    odd: easy
    even: fast

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Friday Coach / Saturday Swim

by , August 21st, 2010 at 08:16 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Friday Coached the Sharks SCY
    Saturday Swam with Sharks
    Coach Alex

Friday
    A modified version of something I found in the forums.
    500 Choice
    5 x 100 ~ Odds 50 K/50 Swim ~ Evens 50 DR/50 Swim

400 Pull Negative Split (Try for even Pace on each 200)
    4 x 100 Descend: interval that gives you :10r on #1

300 Swim or Pull
    3 x 100 Descend: interval that gives you :15r on #1

200 Kick
    2 x 100 Warning! don't forget to save up for the last one.

100 EZ Swim
    1 x 100 ALL OUT (I love these ones)

200 or so Warm Down

I'll add Saturday Later

It's Later:

I'll make it separate, It's long!

Updated August 22nd, 2010 at 05:51 PM by Bo Martin (Add Saturday Workout)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Saturday with the girls

by , August 21st, 2010 at 06:01 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    I started on my own today for the first hour then the girls joined me for stroke work. Do to the 87 degree water I had to keep it easy.

5x200@4:00 Free actually held 2:50's even in the heat
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    500 Fly kick w/fins
    500 Free broken 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,1
    10x25 Fly drills w/fins
    10x25 Free drills w/fins

Total 3000 yards

Updated August 22nd, 2010 at 09:06 PM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Saturday, 8/21/10

by , August 21st, 2010 at 05:55 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Warm up
    12 x 50/1:15 - No Boards or Fins
    Emphasize your streamline on all kicks
    (alternated kick on back and free with long kickout 8-10 sdk of each wall)
    1 x 200 IM Drill
    (did 1-arm drills on fly-back-free, pull w/dolphin and flutter on breast on all these 200's)

12 x 50 Back or Free Pull/1:00
    (with paddles and buoy, 45's on free, 50's on back)
    1 x 200 IM Drill

12 x 50/1:20
    Odds = 15 Fast-20 easy-20 Fast
    Evens= 15 easy-20 Fast-15 easy
    Fast swims are IM order...
    averaged 45-50 on these
    1 x 200 IM went 3:35

1 x 300 Back

12 x 100/1:50 - Every 4th FAST
    (was getting pretty tired. these gradually went from 1:30 to 1:40, fast ones weren't very fast. Maybe 5-7 sec faster than others)

Cool Down
    8 x 50/1:00 Smooth
    alternated free and back

Total: 4300 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. 8/20 Workout, thoughts on speed and training

by , August 21st, 2010 at 02:08 PM (Random Nonsense)
    LCM

Warm up
    - 300 swim
    - 200 choice (back)
    - 300 pull (did back)
    Transition
    - 4x50 free/back
    Main Set
    - 300 free
    - 4x150 free on 2:45
    - 300 pull with buoy and paddles
    - 2x150 free on 2:45 (2:00, 1:56)
    -- more but had to get out
    Cool down

The lane was a cluster, speed and endurance levels were all over the place, so I made the 300s start on the finish of the 3rd person in the lane and the 150s on 2:45. There was actually a slower lane ahead of us, but this should be the last LCM practice until next summer.

Since the lane was in disarray, my goal was to maintain my pace at an uncomfortable level the entire main set. Only on the last 2 150s did I get my time, and I don't know if they were faster or slower than the rest of the set.

Speed and Training

LindsayNB posted this on one of the swimming with math threads http://www.teamtermin.com/docs/Journ...ationships.pdf

It is an article that Budd Termin wrote about a training method he used on his swimmers at the University of Buffalo. The focus of the training method is training swimmers to swim at their optimal stroke rate while maintaining their optimal dps.

Swimming Speed Simplified: There are two ways to get faster. Increase the length of the stroke or increase the turn over.

Focusing on this, Termin worked on increasing dps early in the season and then worked on increasing turnover the rest of the season. This is very very simple, and required very little training time to accomplish. Training consisted mainly of lots of short distance just trying to swim at a target turnover while maintaining dps. There were two types of practices, high velocity and recovery, with high velocity being the practices working on increasing turnover lasting 60 minutes and recovery focusing on easy technique for 30 minutes, plus warm up and cool down time. There were 2 high velocity days followed by 1 recovery day, 6 days a week, one practice a day. A surprisingly light load.

The study lasted for 4 years, and the cumulative improvement was 10% in the 100 and 200 free, the two events he had the largest samples of swimmers during the study. All strokes and distances improved, but it looked like they improved about half as well.

How can I use this? I have no desire to just copy the training plan, but the idea of tracking dps and turnover seems like a good idea. Identifying and training for a specific turnover for my 200 sounds like a great idea. Lacking Termin's setup, use a poolmate watch?

I understand very little about effective training, so I do suffer from the 'Oh shiny!' effect when I read about a new training methodology.

The entire training program is laid out in detail starting on the 4th page of the pdf at the bottom left with the heading Training paradigms.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Fri Aug 20 2010

by , August 20th, 2010 at 10:20 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri Aug 20 2010

swam Wed did not swim thu

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=223414&postcount=2"]Pan Pacs begin Wed 8/18[/ame]

whitney coached
    garrison pool 86 degrees
    6 - 7:30 am
    with chris ned todd nate doug
    arrived 15 min late missed warm up

Warm UP

400 fr strong
    went 5:03

200 easy

2 x 200 fr strong on 5:00
    went 2:28

200 easy

3 x 100 fr on 3:00

200 easy

4 x 50 fr on 2:00

200 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Friday, 8/20/10

by , August 20th, 2010 at 06:18 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, with Carrie

Warm up
    400 Mixer
    (did 350 as reverse IM with only 50 fly)

1 x 200/4:00 Build (went 3:05)
    2 x 150/3:00 50 Swim - 50 drill - 50 Swim
    (#1 free - 2:30, #2 back - 2:45; drill was fist/dps for both)
    3 x 100/2:00 Build
    (#1-2 free - 1:30, #3 back - 1:35)
    4 x 50/1:00 ds
    (free - went 45->36)

Kick
    400 IM/30sr - No equipment
    (had major thigh cramp during breast kick so only did 250)

10 x 50/1:10 ds 4 - 3- 3 W/Fins and/or Board
    (1-4 flutter - 45->35, 5-7 dolphin 45->40, 8-10 flutter 45->38)

Swim
    8 x 50/1:20
    (did these IM order)
    15m Fast - 20m smooth - 15m Fast

Cool Down
    100 easy free/back

Total: 2600 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Fly, Fly, Fly away

by , August 20th, 2010 at 09:00 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Yes it was long course today so I did the 500 Fly again.

50,100,150,200,200,150,100,50@:10R Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    500 Fly w/fins in 8:24
    200 Free kick w/fins EASY
    4x200@3:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    200 Free easy

Total 3200 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 workout: 08/20/10

by , August 19th, 2010 at 07:47 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:50
    2 X 200 3:20
    1 X 400 -

4 X 50 kick 1:15
    2 X 100 kick 2:30
    1 X 200 kick -

8 X 200
    odd: IM 4:00
    even: free 3:30

12 X 50 1:05
    #3-6-9-12 @ 100%

Updated August 22nd, 2010 at 01:14 PM by RickMile

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Thursday, 8/19/10

by , August 19th, 2010 at 06:53 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo
    More recovery

Warm up
    200 Swim
    200 Skill Drills
    (did 100 free/100 back)
    8 x 50/1:00 25 easy - 25 FAST
    (alternated 2 free/2 back)

Kick Set:
    10 x 50/1:15 desc 4 - 3 - 3 w/Fins
    (1-4 dolphin on back - went 50->35, 5-7,8-10 flutter on back, went 45-40-35 both times)

Main Set:
    2 x 200 Free Smooth/4:00 (ent 3:10, 3:07)
    1 x 200 Back Build/4:00 (went 3:15)

2 x 150 Free Smooth/3:00 (went 2:20 on both)
    1 x 150 Back Strong/3:00 (went 2:30)

2 x 100 Free Smooth/2:10 (went 1:30 on both)
    1 x 100 Back Stronger/2:10 (went 1:33)

2 x 50 Free Smooth/1:15 (went :43 on both)
    1 x 50 Back Fast/1:15 (went :42)

Cool Down
    6 x 50/1:10 Smooth

Total: 3100 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Thursday, Thursday, Aug. 19

by , August 19th, 2010 at 04:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

8 x 50 fly drills

8 x 25 shooters

3 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 1550

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

The weekend cannot come soon enough! I can't stand this week's dull taper workouts. I just want to get back to regular training. In retrospect, I wonder if I should have just returned to fairly normal training this week ... I felt like I had more speed when I was doing the Mason workouts or even at the beach. Still feel extremely sloggish and tired in the water now.

I may have to stop reading blogs as I am having some workout envy. Even Speedo's workout sounded appealing.

I really enjoyed watching the Pan Pacs last night. It was interesting to see some of the different fly strokes. Cielo has the odd high elbows. And Kukla had a high recovery, almost windmill like, fly. Not many masters have a high recovery fly (Chris and I come to mind). Although I've tried to get away from this somewhat in SCY, Kukla certainly had some amazing momentum using this approach, so it seems fairly suited for a LCM sprint. And the winning Aussie backstroker had a nose clip! I would appreciate it very much if those attending Zones would remind me to wear mine before the 50 back on Sunday.

On Phelps' failure to qualify for the 400 IM final:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081904535.html

Updated August 19th, 2010 at 07:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. The "Prettiest Waitress @ Denny's"

Last night was the inaugural Wednesday practice for the Libertyville Masters! It was a relatively empty pool, but it was honestly a GREAT practice for me! I couldn't make Tuesday night's practice due to other (wasted) obligations so I was excited to not have to wait until Thursday night's practice.

Yesterday I worked a little later than I expected to. So by the time I got home at 5:30, I realized that if I ate and then went to the gym and lifted as usual I would have less than an hour of recovery before swim practice. Now - I'm not REALLY that concerned about being slow at practice. I've been that for months now. I am however concerned with feeling like crap during practice because my muscles couldn't recover before another assault on them.

That was probably the best choice I could've made last night!

So I ate supper at 5:30ish, played drums for about an hour, and then started packing BECAUSE I GET TO MOVE INTO MY OWN PLACE! and left for practice around 7:45ish. So getting to practice - I was already hungry, I forgot a water bottle, and I was really tired. Even with all of those factors - I must've still brought my swimming "A" game.

I was the "fastest of the slow lanes" (hence the title) last night! It was a pretty big difference too! I was getting back on average 5-7 seconds faster per lap than anyone else. So when we did a 12x100 set, I was getting back between 10 and 15 seconds faster than anyone else in the "slow lanes".

It was a pretty cool feeling! I've definitely been getting faster - but I was coming in on 1:35/1:40 at the end of that 12x100 set! I think comparatively at the beginning of summer I was coming in on 1:50/2:00 for my 100s..... wait a minute.... This is really just hitting me like a ton of bricks (you're getting the raw data from the brain to the fingers here). We just switched from SCM to SCY. <Sigh>

Alright - well it doesn't change the fact that I'm still the prettiest waitress at my own Denny's. Hopefully tonight will give me more opportunities to really rock it out in the pool. Since I'll be apartment hunting - I don't know if I'll get a good chance to do my lift tonight (again :-/). Its okay though - as long as I can get my swim in the night is not a total loss.

Up next - my excitement for the SCY Season increases as some of the first meets are being put on the board!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. A rare sprint day or is it....

by , August 19th, 2010 at 08:26 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I am going to work on my sprints more than I have in the past and today was a great start. The focus was sprint freestyle today and it felt good and consistant. Not alot but good quality effort.

400, 300, 200, 100 @:15R Free
    4x[4x25@1:00 Free SPRINT held :15
    ....[200 Free kick w/fins easy
    3x200@3:00 Free w/paddles & bouy #1 easy, #2 as 100 hard/100 easy #3 hard went 2:54, 2:47, 2:34
    200 Free EASY long and loose

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM workout: 08/19/10

by , August 18th, 2010 at 07:49 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    2 X 100 1:45
    2 X 200 3:30
    2 X 100 kick 2:30
    Twice through

10 X 100 2:00
    odd: free/build
    even: 50 stroke/50 free

1 X 400 free 6:40
    4 X 50 fast 1:00
    Twice through with a break

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. 2nd Day this week!!

by , August 18th, 2010 at 07:24 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Swam with the Sharks SCY
    Coach Alex

400 Swum as 50 free/50 back

6 x 100 Descend pick interval for :20r

400 Pull
    200 Reverse IM
    2 x 200 Fast Pace ( tried to drop 10 sec on # 2, managed to drop 8)
    100 Ez
    200 Reverse IM
    I think we rested more than we were supposed to between swims.
    There were 4 in the lane today and we tend to talk sometimes instead of swim

4 x 100 Kick ~ Even FAST / Odd Stroke

Warm Down

I tried to drop my normal 100 pace by 2 or 3 seconds. I did it on the 400 and 200's :-)
    I wanted to kick a 1:30 for a 100 but went a 1:34, Gotta work those turns harder!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized