View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Sunrise workout Wednesday morning

This morning was warmer, and I was rewarded for getting to the pool early by a gorgeous sunrise during my warmup first set. I swam backstroke as much as I could to watch it.

The pool was set up SCY. We had a group of 3 masters swimmers, all visiting this area (from the Bay area, Cincinnati, and New York). We each contributed a set to the workout, and had a fun time together. Here’s what we did:

400 warmup

Pyramid set: 100 FR, 200 IM, 300 Pull, 400 Swim Choice, then 400-300-200-100 (same on way down)

The Math Set (this was my contribution):
    21 x 50 @ 1:00; all free EXCEPT multiples of 3 are BR, multiples of 4 are BK, and multiples of 7 are FL. If a number is a multiple of 2 of the above (like 12), the stroke that falls earlier in the IM trumps the stroke that falls later in the IM. [I sprinted into and out of the wall and worked the turn on all of these. I first came across this set when I played polo; it seems to be designed to distract polo players from the fact that they're actually swimming laps. If we had wanted to make things more complicated this morning with this set, we could have done prime numbers as kick, but we stuck to the basics.]

4 x 150 pull @ 2:10

Then since I wasn’t quite ready to get out of the pool, I did

2 x (100 FR @ 1:30, 50 K @ 1:00, 100 IM @ 1:30, 50 K @ 1:00)

200 IM kick

250 WD

This pool is closed for the next 3 days; I might check out the pool at my gym during that time.

Hoping to squeeze in weights today between wrapping and decorating and cooking!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Wednesday Dec 23rd 2009

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 10:47 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wednesday Dec 23rd 2009

Arrived late, wife wanted to talk

Subscribe to this Blog

RESULTS from the Nov San Antonio SCM meet are up

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy (pool was set up long course!)
    Whitney coached
    6:30 - 8:00
    main pool
    swam with Mike, ned, jon, tyler, todd, brandon, Amy & everyone on the team
    dove in around 6:55

WORE B70 Legs

warm up
    missed

main set
    4 rounds of
    5 x 100 fast on 2:00
    4 x 50 fast on 1:15 one each stroke
    100 easy

round 1) missed the 5 x 100 used 4 x 50 to warm up
    round 2) swam free held 58's & 9's
    round 3) flutter kicked, went under 1:15
    round 4) flutter kicked desc 1, 3, 5, skipped 2 & 4, went 1:06

100 FAST
    went 55

2010 MEETS:

January 15 – 18, 2010
    2010 ST TXLA New Years Classic
    Austin, TX

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX

April 9 -11
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    The Woodlands, TX

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. 12/23: Team Practice

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 09:32 AM (Random Nonsense)
    The Colony scy

12 Days of Christmas. Most people were off, but Lazy Wife and I had to work, so we combined the first 5 days of warm up into a straight 500, and I kept the rest to a minimum. Lazy wife didn't like my intervals, so we split the lane most of practice.

Warm up
    - 500 free
    Transition
    - 5x50 :40 kick w/fins and board
    - 6x50 :40 free
    - 7x50 :40 kick w/fins on back
    - 8x25 :25 free down, back back
    - 9x50 :40 paddles and buoy
    - 10x25 :20 swim w/fins FAST, probably held :12s
    - 11x50 :40 breath control, ignored that
    Warm down
    - 12x25 smooth, did back/free ez
    - 4x25 extra waiting for Lazy Wife

Total 3250 yards

Did not sleep well the last two nights. Wanted to skip but skipping practice when I am not sleeping well is a waste. Felt stiff getting in but much looser after practice.

Updated December 23rd, 2009 at 10:49 AM by qbrain

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Pool set up for LCM today

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 09:24 AM (My Passion)
    Practice at 5 am and pool was suprisingly set up for LCM. Nice change of pace. Stretched and then:

1X500 free warm up
    4X200 free on 3 minutes
    5X100 free
    cool down
    Christmas breakfast with the team

Total of 1800 meters in 30 minutes.

Today I will be attending a memorial service for a 46 year-old divorced dad of two little girls (he was going to have them for Christmas this year) killed in a motorcycle accident Friday evening. A truck pulled out in front of him. He was on a Honda Gold Wing and wearing a helmet. If you ride a motorcycle PLEASE be careful!!!! Other vehicles don't always see you and you have no protection around you if you do get in an accident.
    Those litle girls will always remember that their dad died the week before Christmas - waaaaay too soon.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. The strength has returned in time for a break

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 07:52 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Had a great descending set today.

400, 300, 200, 100@:15R Free
    500 Free kick w/fins build each 50
    5x100@:10R Back kick fashion model and partial recovery
    10x100@2:00 w/paddles & bouy odds Free evens Back descend each stroke on Free went 1:38, 1:37, 1:36, 1:31, 1:26 on the Back went 1:50, 1:48, 1:45, 1:41, 1:36 awesome job on these
    500 easy drills w/fins loosen the arms up

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Rap, Rap, Rap, they call me the Rapper!

by , December 22nd, 2009 at 11:54 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Well wrapper, not rapper!
    Today(for almost 5 hours) I wrapped 58 christmas presents! This has to be some kind of home record. I know it wouldn't compete with professional wrappers at the mall but at home alone it was a pretty good feat!
    I had to do this so I could account everything I'd purchased for various folks. Tomorrow I'll go out and finish it off! (not much left to do though)

Tonight it was a Nasti Swim! Low attendance although I had 4 people in my lane. Only 2 of the female gender present. I should have stayed home and done more work but the lure of the crystal cool water sucked me in. Here's what we did:
    *400 Free
    200 Backstroke
    200 mixed kick sans fins
    *5 X 200 Free on 3:30 (I think we descended 5 seconds each repitition cause I wasn't getting much rest on the last one)
    *8 X 50 kick on 1:00 (I used fins so I could make the interval. Did 2 flutter on back/2 flutter on forward sides/2 dolfin on back/2 dolfin on front.
    *4 X (100 Free (rest 10 seconds) 50 Free (rest 10 seconds) 100 Free on 5:00 I think.
    *Cool-down ez 200 backstroke
    3,200 scy
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Worn out!

by , December 22nd, 2009 at 10:51 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    One of the college kids asked the coach if he could share a workout with the team that his college coach sent home. I missed out on the first part of warm-up and had to leave a few minutes early, so I'll just put down the part that I did.

Warm-up:

4 x 100 I.M. on 1:30 - do fly and breast as drill
    4 x 100 I.M. on 1:30 - do back and free as drill
    4 x 100 on 1:20 - do 75 free/25 RIMO
    ------------------------------------
    2 x 250 kick on 4:30 (no fins)
    1 x 300 fast kick

12 x 50 on :40 (Every 3rd 50 was supposed to be 1 breath for the ENTIRE 50. I could only manage 2 breaths per 25).
    4 x 50 drill with 10 seconds rest

2 rounds of the following:

100 free on 1:45 with snorkel (I need to get one.)
    200 free on 3:30 - broken at the 75-25-75-25 - 10 seconds rest at each break
    100 free on 1:45
    200 free on 3:30 - break at each 50 for 10 seconds rest

On each 200, only allowed 3 breaths per length and no breathing into wall.

100 easy

4100 SCY

The kids ended up going 5600. They did a 500 easy and 4 x 100 free on 1:20 as part of the warm-up. On the 100-200 round, they did another round to make it 3 rounds instead of 2 rounds.

The guy that brought this home swims for my alma mater. Kind of cool to have a kid that I coached as an 8 year old swimming where I did in college.

I'm not sure I can handle another day of the tough intervals we have been doing. May have to swim on my own tomorrow and do a workout with fast efforts and lots of recovery. Still, I like feeling like I'm getting in shape, so may wait until next week to do my own workout.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Woohoo! Tues., Dec. 22

by , December 22nd, 2009 at 10:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Core Work:

I did the P90X plus 20 minute ab DVD today. (Well, I didn't do the hanging parts as I don't have a pull up bar in my house; I substituted other floor work.) I prefer this DVD to ab ripper. The movements use the whole trunk (not just abs) and are more complex than the other DVD. There is also an increased emphasis on balance. I can't seem to find a list of all the exercises anywhere, and can't remember all the names. There were 3 different variations for hanging ab work that I like and will try at the gym. Two of the exercises resemble the squat swing that I'm fond of.

Then I got out my power wheel and did

roll outs, 4 x 25
    pike ups, 2 x 15

Swim/SCY @ Mason:

Drove out to Mason tonight. Not terribly crowded. We had a "12 days of Xmas Workout."

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    4 x 25 scull
    400 pull (I did 3 x 100 dolphin kick w/board @ :20 RI)
    200 IM drill
    2 x 25 shooters

Pre set:

8 x 25 kick @ :30
    odds = IM order
    evens = free

8 x 25 swim @ :25
    odds = IM order
    evens = free

Main set: 12 Days of ...

(I don't remember most of the intervals. It was hard enough to keep count!)

12 lengths: 300 IM
    11 lengths: 275 free
    10 lengths: 250 kick (board, free)
    9 lengths: 225 stroke (1st & last length fast) + 1 minute rest
    8 lengths: 200 IM
    7 lengths: 175 free
    6 lengths: 150 kick (board, dolphin)
    5 lengths: 125 stroke (1st & last length fast) + 1 minute rest
    4 lengths: 100 IM
    3 lengths: 75 free
    2 lengths: 50 kick (board, dolphin)
    1 length: 25 AFAP (did shooter w/fins, went 9)

150 EZ

Total: 3900

Commentary:

The legs were still tired after yesterday's kick fest, and I started with the calf cramps on the last 4 "days." But this was a nice aerobic workout for me.

Woohoo:

I was very happy and relieved that the meet director found my 50 evil split in the time records. And here it is in the event rankings:

USMS Times Reported for Women SCM 50 Breast Ages 45-49
    2009 Season (2009-01-01 through 2009-12-31)

# Name Age Time Club Meet
    1 Livingston, Leslie C 48 37.62 GMUP New England LMSC SCM Championships

I have to say this gives me a huge chuckle. I've never cracked the Top Ten in evilstroke before. In fact, I'm not sure if I even did 10 lengths of evil kick in the last year ...

When converted to yards, it's a 33.4 -- .7 faster than I went tapered in yards earlier this year and 1.4 faster than I swam at the Sprint Classic in October. I swam this event at NE Champs in 2007 and went 41.5. No idea what the cause of my evilstroke success is (although I know the pre-pullout dolphin kick helps me) ... I suspect it's the suit. Q thinks it's the squats. Whatever it is, I may just retire on top if/when the suits are banned. lol

It's also good to know that in my gridge re-match with Stud, I out-touched him by .07 after he crushed me at the Sprint Classic in this event. Of course, he had not yet donned the magic stretched out B70 at this point ... But that was the same scenario when we squared off at the SC.

I also see that the final LCM TTs were released, and my 200 back and 100 fly from the USA meets that were omitted from the prelim list were included. So all is happy in Fortland this December.

Updated December 23rd, 2009 at 04:55 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  9. Thanks goodness for swim buddies with workout ideas

I had a nice swim this morning with Debbie from California. The pool was set up SCY. Here’s what I swam:

1000 warmup

3 x 100 pull w/ paddles [I’m still getting used to using paddles.]

3 x (3 x 200 FR/BK halfsie, desc. 1-3) @ 3:10 [3:00, 2:50, 2:43; 2:58, 2:50, 2:39, 2:56, 2:45, 2:37]

100 easy

8 x 50 Kick @ 1:05 [I experimented with doing these FR kick in plank position on my kickboard (board was submerged; I was propped on my elbows). This is a slow way to kick, but helps me think about using my ab muscles to keep the arch out of my spine—whether from mere association with Pilates/Yoga planks or from the demands of being in this position, I’m not sure.]

4 x (3 x 25 @ :30, desc. 1-3) I did these all FR

200 WD

Then I drove up to the land of sweet tea and meat-and-two-sides to have lunch with my folks. I have convinced them to come down to the beach for Christmas, and I have been entrusted with cooking Christmas dinner, even the dressing (this is no small responsibility in my family). Then we will have a bigger dinner a few days after Christmas when my sister and her family visit the land of the boll weevil.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. 12/22/09 Cardio and Core

by , December 22nd, 2009 at 05:47 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well
    I did 40 minutes on the elliptical intervals climbing to 155-160bpm this afternoon after a morning of "mall walking" with my mother.

After the elliptical I did my core work with the yoga ball. The yoga ball routine is becoming a bit easier now.. I'll have to find new ways to increase the pain level. I was a sweaty-Betty in the gym after that cardio but at least I can gorge myself without guilt...

almost forgot: I ended the workout with some delt and tricep work.

Home now, fire going...dinner soon and then port...

Updated December 22nd, 2009 at 06:33 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Watch out for aquappottami

by , December 22nd, 2009 at 05:15 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    The hotel pool was full of them this morning and they weren't budging an inch to make room for me. Oh well. I still managed a workout as they all finished and left about the time I finished my warmup

300 swim
    300 kick, alternating 50 free with board, 50 back, no board
    300 pull as 150 free, 150 back buoy only
    6 x 50 alt. drill/build by 25 choice
    2 each free/back then 1 fly & 1 breast

8 x 75; 1-4 free, 5-8 back

kick 10 x 25 on 40: on backwith 6-8 SDK off each wall

100 swim down
    --

1 hour yoga class at the gym tonight.

Yesterday (Monday) I did 30 minutes of spinning at the gym during my lunch hour, then went back after work and ran on the treadmill.

Run was as follows:
    walk 1/4 mile
    run 2-1/2 miles at 10 min/mi pace
    walk 1/4 mi to cool
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Lost Person Behaviour

by , December 22nd, 2009 at 01:25 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    It's 12:33 p.m., and I am sitting around at my desk here in wintry Pittsburgh waiting for experts on lost person behaviour to call me back. I spell it with the British "u" because many of these fellows are Canadian, possibly because there are so many places to get lost in Canada. My hypothesis for why: the absence of nocturnal light pollution and similar whatnot to guide one to a mall or other safe haven of human civilization.

During this period of waiting, it occurred to me that a rare (of late) un-Ambienated vlog might be in order, if for no other reason than to test the ongoing functionality of whatever rational faculties I have left.

As my fellow devotees of novel hypnotics may know first hand, these drugs can have some heavy duty discombobulating and bamboozling effects. In my case, oftentimes the first things to go are those items to which I have only the weakest tether lines under the best, most rational of circumstances. Propriety, the hope not to offend others for the pure mean-spirited joy this can bring me, self-pity, and finally what in male dogs is sometimes described as "that little red thing"--all these tend to change drastically in me under the influence of zolpidem. The first two (propriety; kindness) run for the hills; the second two (self pity, ribaldry) burst out in ways that are hard to restrain. I have been de-friended on Facebook because of such boorishness and indecency.

In fact, the only things that reliably restrain self pity, libidinous inappropriateness, jabberwocky, and the like is the phenomenon dubbed by researchers at the Mayo Clinic as a new drug-aided variation on SRED, or sleep related eating disorder. This morning, I went down to the kitchen and found a bottle of Real Lemon lemonade, my favorite beverage, stowed not in the refrigerator where it belonged, but rather in the cupboard beside the cups and glasses.

I suppose it could have been worse.

Some of us so-called Ambien Zombies have been known to pour a glass of bleach in the night, the better to chase down the buttered cigarette sandwich we have made for ourselves as a snack.

I am digressing a bit here.

VIA, or vlogging under in the influence of ambien, has a good side and some bad sides.

On the good side, I have now--on at least two separate occasions--discovered vlogs that "I" have written but which I have almost no memory of having written. I can thus read such entries the way I imagine the non-Jim reading audience reads them: with total amusement and the utmost respect for the writer, perhaps even just a smidgen of jealousy for his evident genius! Oh, if only I could write like this "Jim" in his full reverie mode.

Actually, just joking about that. Reading these amnestically-penned vlogs, in truth, only gives me the chance to do what I really DO imagine my readers often do: Laugh AT me, not WITH me.

It's nice when a blowhard can laugh AT himself without totally feeling responsible for it. I suppose what I am really doing on such occasions is laughing at my reptilian brain in action. What a peculiar fellow this nutcase is...though I do admire his lack of self-censure.

The bad sides of Ambien have already been suggested. One additional example: I seem to have made an enemy of the brother of a female swimmer I occasionally correspond with on Facebook. It appears I will not be attending that family's Christmas party this or any other year in the foreseeable future.

The cure for all this, of course, is simple. Either stop taking Ambien, or take it and immediately go to sleep. The problem is that I have found that taking Ambien and fighting off sleep leaves me in the Tiger Woodsian Ambien haze. Though I have no floosy to enjoy myself with while thusly enfogged, I nevertheless enjoy the tranquility and relaxation and freedom from worry this mood bestows. I enjoy it so much, in fact, that I know it will be a while before I am able to wean myself from it.

Note: Ambien and its cousins are not benzodiazepines like Valium, though they target one of the brain's many subtypes of benzodiazepine receptors in the GABA system. Sleep researchers maintain there is no evidence that Ambien and the other Z-drugs are anxiolytic, or anxiety relieving. Thus it is entirely possible that my perception of calm is either a placebo response or idiosyncratic. That said, I will add one penultimate wrinkle here for those, like me, who include amongst your various hobbies an interest in amateur psychopharmacology.

Zolpidem, the generic name for Ambien, has been shown to trigger speech in a certain type of schizophrenic patient who is suffering mutism because of catatonia. It might have helped Al Pacino, for instance, at the end of Scarecrow.

Perhaps my reaction is simply some variation on a positive Zolpidem Test.

Now, final wrinkle: though I do believe that this drug is, in some regards, capable of reducing my control over my behavior somewhat, it is clear to me that my decision to keep taking the pill and vlogging and/or otherwise accosting the etherous internet world at large is something of which I am fully culpable. As an expert in the burgeoning field of sleep forensics told me, there is voluntary and involuntary intoxication.

Taking the pill exactly as directed and then going on a blue streak of mayhem is involuntary intoxication, especially the first time it happens.

But taking the pill the way I have been lately, knowing the likely consequences, and doing it anyway, qualifies as voluntary intoxication. In fact, one might argue my case is very voluntary intoxication.

Let me know if I go too far.

Note: this is NOT a cry for help.

Now, on another note, after last night's 4100 yards, I asked some of my swimming teammates if they might help me identify my elbow bone. We could not, for the life of us, decide whether the pointy bone is attached to the upper arm bone or one of the lower arm bones.

So I took a picture with my finger right on the painful jabby bone in the hopes that Drs. Dixon and Jaegermeister, and fellow sufferer Jim Matysek, might better zero in on a diagnosis.

PS what do you think about my peace symbol within a heart medallion?

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Tuesday Dec 22nd 2009 LCM SNAKES!

by , December 22nd, 2009 at 11:18 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tuesday Dec 22nd 2009

RESULTS from the Nov San Antonio SCM meet are up

Christina took these photos of our team work out at garrison this summer

yesterday I Sent in my entries for the : ST TXLA New Years Classic in Austin, TX January 15 – 18, 2010

Subscribe to this Blog

WEIGHTS at world gym in San Marcos
    lat press
    pat pull
    bench press
    leg press

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM (pool was set up long course!)
    Whitney coached
    6:30 - 8:00
    main pool
    swam with Mike, ned, jon, tyler, todd, brandon, Amy & everyone on the team
    dove in on time

WORE B70 Legs

warm up
    250 fr 50 bk
    250 fr 50 bk
    300 fl k (went 1:22 on last 100 LCM Kick)
    100 easy

main set
    SNAKES
    pool set up with 10 lanes,
    swim 1 length in each lane

500 done 50 fr 50 fl drill

(we gave up 2 lanes to UT women & switched to 400 SNAKES)

400 fr (started catching the slower swimmers)

400 done 50 fr 50 bk

400 fr

400 done 50 fr 50 br

400 fr FAST for time
    WENT 4:44

had to pass around 10 slower swimmers

400 do 2 x 200 IM press out & dive after each length

400 k

there were 2 more 400's but I had an 8:20 appointment so I sat by Coach Kim Brackin for a bit watching her train 4 swimmers who were still in town

2010 MEETS:

January 15 – 18, 2010
    2010 ST TXLA New Years Classic
    Austin, TX

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX

April 9 -11
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    The Woodlands, TX

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events

Updated December 22nd, 2009 at 11:26 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  14. 12/22: Test Set Tuesday

by , December 22nd, 2009 at 10:00 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Yesterday pretty much sucked as random things going wrong, both at work and at home. My day ended with me figuring out that the warm puddles that I couldn't find the source of probably were a leak in the hot water line in the wall. Merry Christmas to a local plumber!

Point: I tried to use yesterday as an excuse to skip today. Lazy wife was not hearing it, as she is trying to get lots of working out in preparation of gluttonous feasting Thursday and Friday.

Warm up:
    - 200 free
    - 100 back
    - 100 kick moderate pace
    - 100 back
    - 100 free
    Main Set:
    - 5x200 on 7:00 went 2:31, 2:32, 2:26*, 2:27, 2:27
    - 5x4x25 swam 4x25 back after each 200
    Warm down:
    - 300 amoeba

* Pretended to have the tempotrainner on, beep, beep, beep. My turnover must have increased from that. Kinda silly, but I will be saying beep beep beep in my next race.

Amoeba: This is Speedo's term for what his easy swim after a AFAP 200 is like. I understood amoeba swimming much better now after my test set. It probably doesn't look like swimming.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. equillibirum

by , December 22nd, 2009 at 09:13 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I'm back!
    I spent most of December fighting off a bad sinus, throat, ear, coughing, green phlegm infection sort of thing. I'd think I was getting better and swim an easy workout, then lapse back into feeling worse than ever. I finally went to my Dr. a week and a half ago and got some meds. They worked!
    It really worked out okay since I needed the extra time at work and holiday parties. I just wish I could have felt better.

Now it's time to start getting ready for the July 17-20th Morse Reservoir 10K National Championships! www.grinswim.org/USMS2010K/ I'll just be swimming to finish but I still think I need to up my yardage and focus on longer intervals.
    I quit my LA Fitness membership; the water is too hot workout the way I want. I am starting to go to Carmel Aquatic Center in the early mornings before work. I can swim there for free and it is one of my top 3 favorite pools!

Yesterday's CAC Workout Solo:

*500 drill warm-up (100 catch-up drill/100 6 and roll drill/100 dps drill/100 finger drag drill/100 opposite side only breath)
    *200 Backstroke Swim/200 Backstroke Kick (no fins and it took forever!)
    *15 X 100: Grouped in sets of 3. Each set descends 5 seconds on the interval. 2:00/1:55/1:50/1:45/1:40
    *200 Back/150 Back/100 Back/50 Back
    1:00 per 100 interval
    *Super 500 Swim (Kick only on 25 recovery swim)

Now I need to go start creating some Holiday Magic!!!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Strong showing today

by , December 22nd, 2009 at 07:20 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Felt very strong today so took advantage of it.

5x200@3:45 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins build each 50
    5x100@2:00 Fly kick w/fins on back as 50 easy/50 build
    10x50@1:00 w/fins odds fly, evens breast pull
    felt really good on the fly/breast
    4x200@3:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    200 Free Easy

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Short aerobic sets

by , December 22nd, 2009 at 01:05 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Got in on the last 1/3 of the senior kids practice. Some of the kids from college were home, so the coach is trying to get in a good bit of yardage to keep them in shape for their upcoming winter training. Since I got in over 2,000, I'm guessing they got in a 6,000 yard workout today.

400 yard easy warm-up

8 x 75 back on 1:10

50 easy

4 x 300 free on 4:00 - I used paddles on these as I've been out of the water for a week and needed to get a good feel for the water back.

50 easy

10 x 25 free on :25

100 easy

I'll be back for the workout tomorrow. On Wednesday, I think I'll do a fin/sprint/lots of recovery kind of workout.

Wish I had made time last week to drive 35 minutes each way to the pool. Being out for a week resulted in me feeling like I have lost the feel of the water. Yuck. Will definitely have to swim on Saturday this week.

Guess it is time to be sure I'm swimming 4 times a week. SCY meets are just around the corner!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. The Pig who would be Pug and other Solstice Miracles

by , December 21st, 2009 at 09:08 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    This afternoon, I went into our kitchen to check on the three quadrapedes: lefty, the male pug; biscuit the little female pug; and linus, the guinea pig who is convinced he, too, is a pug, albeit one who prefers vegetative matter to hard to described meat byproducts.

The twelve legs were all in the kitchen. Left and Biscuit had dog pillows upon which to lay about when the mood for rest strikes then. sometimes, in a rare expression of drive, Lefty will sit in one dog bed and grab the other dog bed in his mouth, and shake it brusquely, as it attempting to snap its spinal cord. these pillows have sheeps hair and do look, like pracice murder scenes, must give them that much.

The ambien dance has begun, theletters swimnging bosa nova style, swayingagainst one anotherscurvesand indetations and convexities invaginating conccavite, and with squintimng the imeprssion is fmoredd.

so cure, this camily of mistamtched creasedtusethat iasste markign onwaerds tlike armu ants ofrlleadrfdctter ant.sll i ccnanan;t aaseee what thsi all abot now. the whole jump;ing ni==hmjjjjiiveing stufss. teh ''

the huger is raising p a a bit..

so whatis next cucmbers and gargazono with ambine andn dskldsalllk;fjjjajjjjjthekvikiking shiops with speekrs fread o float what is gereek for swine snowt'
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. 12/21: PM Weights

by , December 21st, 2009 at 09:04 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Not sure if it is worthwhile blogging my weights.

Broomstick twists, 1x20
    Squats
    - Warm up: BWx1x5, 45x1x5, 135x1x5, 205x1x3
    - Working Set: 275x5x5
    Bench
    - Warm up: 45x1x5, 135x1x3
    - Working Set: 180x2x5 180x1x4 failed on 5th rep
    - will repeat 180 next Monday
    Single arm bent over row
    - 50x5x5
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. 12/21/09

by , December 21st, 2009 at 08:00 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well thanks to Neti pot I manage to get the bulk of the runny nose part of a heavy cold done with over the weekend. Hmmm, the tawny port didn't seem to hurt either...yesterday however, I did learn that it takes more than 6 inches of snow cushion to render making a rugby tackle painless...

Got in today with a little trepidation because of being sick but it went well:
    500 FR w/u done in about 7:20 from the side...I'm getting good at this...

10 x 50 K sin fins 1:30 held 1:15's on first 5 then adjusted my kick and went 1:10's.

10 x 50 P paddles and fins, working length (yes, I know) and hand entry versus power pulling.

10 x 50 K con fins on 1 min for pace getting 10-15 rest.

4 x 50 EZ working off the leg fatigue...not that I get fatigued.

8 x 25 BLOCK on 1:00 (FL, BR, FR, FR) x 2

4 x 50 EZ trying to locate my lungs...

4 x 50 FLY
    2:00 held around :40 and tried to get the 200 tempo going...no luck yet. It's depressingly amazing how stroke flaws show up when you swim slower!

4 x 50 I don't take intervals on BK but I think I'd go under :40 in a 50 now...

4 x 50 EZto finish.

Went to lift for 45 mins after this...felt good today.

Updated December 22nd, 2009 at 02:20 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized