View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Twisty, Monday, Aug. 30

by , August 30th, 2010 at 09:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Spent virtually the entire day as a taxi service. Managed to sneak in a mid-day workout at the gym.

Drylands:

broomstick twists, 1 x 25
    long arm crunches, 2 x 25
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    twisting med ball slams, 3 x 15
    windshield wipers, 2 x 25
    russian twists, 25 x 2 x 25
    elevated push ups, 3 x 15
    one legged squats w/15 lb DBs, 1 x 15 each leg
    dead lift, 100 x 2 x 10
    overhead squats w/25 lb broomstick, 2 x 15
    single arm row, 40 x 2 x 10, each arm
    total ab machine, 100 x 2 x 25
    back extensions w/twist w/10 lb weight, 1 x 25

RC work: external and internal rotators, ball on wall, arm circles, prone scapular scrunch, seated straight arm dips

New exercises:

1. stability ball twister, 3 x 25
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYhTHh0IgRI"]YouTube- Dryland Exercises for Swimmers[/nomedia]

This was fairly easy flexibility wise; balancing was somewhat more of a challenge at first, but I got the hang of it. I had the ball in the wrong place though. It looks like it would be easier to balance if you have the ball on your thighs like the person in the vid. I did it with the ball closer to my waist.

2. reverse scoops w/overhead twist w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25

In this exercise, you do the Ryan Lochte reverse scoop with a plate and then, with the weight directly overhead and arms straight, twist to the left and then to the right and back down to squat position. Because of the weight, this exercise seems better at building rotational strength than the stability ball twister.

3. plank push, 2 x 10, each side

I just made this name up. When doing this, you start in a side plank with your feet on top of each other on a bosu. One arm on the floor and put the other hand on your hip. Then push your hips toward the ceiling. This is somewhat challenging. If you can't balance this way, you could put the second hand on the floor to provide more stability. This reminds me of a TRX exercise. And remind me that I still need to watch my TRX DVD.

10 minutes of stretching

Note: I saw what I think was a football player doing reaction drills with a trainer where he jumped forward or sideways on a whistle. It occurred to me that a forward jump reaction drill would be good for starts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I did a very twisty dryland workout really working on the lower and mid back. I should have added the cable twists w/yoga ball to this workout.

After I finished, I headed toward the pool where Mini Fort works to swim an easy 1500 or so and pick her up. But minutes before I arrived a kid pooped in the pool and it closed early. Really, the number of these incidents this summer is at some stratospheric level ...

Hoping to swim and do yoga or P90X tomorrow. My Mom travelled back home to Tucson today, so hopefully that will free up more time.

Drill:

Using the monofin to help with SDKs:

http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5913/tu...---step-5.html

Updated August 31st, 2010 at 12:50 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  2. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -08/31/10

by , August 30th, 2010 at 02:17 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    4 x 100 1:40 1:30
    2 X 200 3:20 3:00
    Twice through. Round 1 intervals left, round 2 right.

2 X 200 kick 4:15
    4 X 50 kick 1:15
    8 X 25 sprint kick :45

1 X 100 free 1:45
    1 X 100 stroke 2:00
    1 X 50 free 1:00
    1 X 50 stroke 1:00
    Four times through.
    IM'ers: round 1: fly, round 2: back, round 3 breast, round 4: choice, no free.

9 X 100 1:55
    Choice.
    #3-6-9 are fast.

100 easy swim
    100 @ 100% choice

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4900Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Mon Aug 30 2010

by , August 30th, 2010 at 12:00 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Aug 30 2010

did not swim fri, sat or sun
    only trained Thu last week

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

LCM
    Whitney Coached
    6:00 TO 8:00 am
    Austin Mabel Davis pool
    swam with tyler, nate, ned, chris, larry, paul, james, & max
    dove in 6:40ish
    wore brief

WARM UP
    5 - 600

MAIN SET
    2 rounds of:
    400 fr on 6:00
    2 x 200 fr on 3:00
    4 x 100 fr on 1:30
    400 K moderate
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 8/30 Workout

by , August 30th, 2010 at 11:16 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Warm up
    - 200 swim
    - 300 kick with fins
    - 200 back
    Main Set
    - 50 back
    - 100 free fast (1:01)
    - 150 back recovery
    - 200 free fast (2:07)
    - 250 back recovery
    - 200 free fast (2:05)
    - 150 kick with fins recovery
    - 100 free fast (1:00)
    - 50 kick with fins recovery
    - 8x50 descend* 1-4 (:31, :30)
    Cool down
    - 200 back
    Transition (skipped this earlier by accident)
    - 4x100 drill swim by 50
    Cool down 2
    - 100 back

* I didn't descend, just swam 3xEZ, 1 fast. Still having a hard time breaking 30 from a push.

Those 200s might be the fastest I have swim in practice from a push. The second 200 and second 100 were a little surprising as I was still feeling the effects of the first 100 and 200.

The mountain was actually given as a combo of swim, kick, pull.

Lazy Wife made her first appearance at practice since Feb and was happy I forced her to go. She discovered that her shoulders like the metallic green children's kick board.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Another great Freestyle day

by , August 30th, 2010 at 08:28 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Though I seemed to have issues with breathing during my main set I still managed a great time.

Did some wieght lifting yesterday but really didn't feel the effects during this workout.

10x100@1:45 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins 25easy/25mod/25fast
    1650 Free w/paddles & bouy broken on :10R final time 23:09 -1:40 = 21:29 these were broken as the following 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 laps

200 Free kick easy w/fins
    150 Free easy

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Week-end Recovery

by , August 29th, 2010 at 10:54 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    It's hard to believe I've already been back to school for 3 full weeks!
    I am very tired by friday nights but I've vowed to not leave the school premises till I have Monday's lessons complete and on my desk, music files all set on ipod, all equipment ready to go, and a light cleaning job. As I sit here Sunday night I'll have to say it feels good to not be scrambling around and worrying about monday!

I was totally non-productive this week-end. Basically I swam, relaxed, and shopped a little. (oh I guess I did a little laundry)
    Here's the week-end rundown:

Friday Nite: 2,800 ez workout of mixed strokes at the Monon solo. Dinner at some salad place complete with chard. Walked the pug.

Saturday: A delightful morning at Forest Park. Workout was 4,000 lcm of all freestyle (hard!) Coffee and chatter on the deck afterwards.
    Yardwork, reading in the sunroom, shopping with marty. Dinner at Champp's with older daughter! BBC dvd "The Office" season # 1. Sleep

Sunday: Another great Forest Park morning. 3,800 lcm workout (I skipped the warm-up). Egg sandwiches and coffee on deck afterwards!
    Afternoon: Moto-cross GP race! Hot but very exciting! Beer flowed freely! Dinner at a new Mexican Cafe! I like CHILL week-ends!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Last LCM Workout of the Summer

by , August 29th, 2010 at 10:02 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Swam last LCM of the summer today with the Sharks.
    Unless they keep the pool open (Doubtful)

Lots of guest swimmers today, around 10
    It's an administration nightmare to take
    care of by myself with that many guest.
    But oh well. Somebody's got to do it!

Put LCM Lane lines in. (4)
    300 Swim, 200 Kick, 200 Pull (Again)
    8 x 50 IM order twice :10 or so rest
    4 x 100 Descend :15r
    2 x 200 Choice
    4 x 100 Descend again
    8 x 50 Choice

Warm down choice.
    Take LCM Lane lines out.

I felt like a turtle today.
    It was just hard to get moving.
    The water was a bit on the cold side due to
    a few nights of temps in the 50's
    So that may have been it.
    At least that what I'd like it to be :-)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Next to Last Saturday Outside

by , August 29th, 2010 at 10:00 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    I really enjoy swimming outside. It just
    seems like there is more fresh air than in a natatorium.

Coached the Sharks SCY, 90 Min

Warm up
    300 Swim, 200 Kick, 200 Pull

Then the fun begins:

8 X 25 ODD DRILL, EVEN SWIM :10 R
    7 X 50 BUILD TO 80% ON EACH ONE :15 R
    6 X 75 25 EZ / 30 HARD~WORK TURN / 20 EZ :15 R
    5 X 100 BUILD BY 25, MAINTAIN TIME FOR ALL :15R
    4 X 125 DESCEND :20R
    3 X 150 BACK/BREAST/FREE BY 50 :20 R
    2 X 175 DPS / PULL IF YOU WANT TO :20 R / 2:00 R
    1 X 200 BUILD FROM HARD TO PAINFULL

That was 3000 if you did it all

10 X 50 ODDS THINK FORWARD AND STRONG CATCH
    EVENS SWIM ALL ON :20R +/-
    1 X 300 25 Kick / 25 Swim

Warm down....
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Jimslie's Invierno: Day 2, the Resurrection

by , August 29th, 2010 at 06:15 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    On the previous episode of Jimslie's Inferno....

Our protagonist swam a horrible 200 LCM freestyle at the U. Maryland pool partly because of leg cramps, a missed turn, the lack of a cheating full-body suit, but mainly due to being a bad, bad swimmer.

He then partially redeemed himself on the 50, which was exactly 1/2 second slower in jammers than his 50 the previous year in a B70.

But just as he thought he was escaping from Swim Meet Hell, a length miscount during the pathetic 1500/1600 dragged him back down into Patheticon Redux.

Afterward, he slunk back to the Livingston-Thornton Compound to try to recover as best he could before the second and final day of humiliation...

Deeply despondent about his performance during Day No. 1 at Colonies Zones LCM meet, Jimslie borrows clothing items from Leslie and tries to fight off the full-body chills that have been wracking his cramp-riddled physique. Perspicacious viewers will note the reflection of Leslie (holding the camera) and legendary distance swimmer, Michelle Kagy-Schwartz (nourishing her ample bosom out of what appears to be a dog food bowl.)

Michelle post-bosom nourishment.

Hopefully, I have not lost anyone with the brief recap above, but if so, please simply revisit http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=11260 and join the 485 viewers so far who have tremendously enjoyed living my abject swimming meet misery in a vicarious way.

But enough about the distant past. It is time now to move onwards towards recalling in detail the marginally less distant past.

I retired early, hooked myself up to the CPAP machine, read some more of The Girl Who Played with Fire in a bed where bad things are done, nodded off, and dreamed of my new residence as a swimmer, that is to say:

Picture courtesy of the magnificent Chicken of the Sea, a woman who I hope, like all women readers of my vlog, will not be offended by the pervasive male notion that there is no worse place for a male athlete to reside during a meet than the Platypusary; and no better place to reside in celebration of meet accomplishments afterwards than the same. Alas, for Jimslie, the timing of his residency here was precisely the opposite of optimal.

As I slumbered, I am not sure what exactly the energetic Livingston girls were up to, though it is possible they were filming a television commercial for cold creme. Which one is the daughter? Which one is the mother? Who knows? They look like mono-zygotic twins, one of whom has had a gene mutation shortly after the first cellular replication of the zygote, a mutation leading to hair color the likes of which is rarely seen outside of Lucille Ball and/or Carrot Top.

I got up, as is my new wont on CPAP, around 6:30 a.m., crept downstairs in my pink socks, read The Washington Post, and gave myself a pre-meet pep talk:

You suck. You are a bad, slow, pathetic worm of a swimmer. You have been deluding yourself for years thanks to those ridiculous body suits you have been wearing. You are not a swimmer at all. You are not even much of a body kayaker, but without your body kayak, it is a wonder you can swim at all. I am surprised the lifeguards let you dive in without first mandating a deep water test.

But on the plus side, with this meet you have a chance to set a new personal low water mark. You are swimming so slowly that only an utterly incompetent person would not be able to improve on your performance in the future. Of course, the odds are overwhelming that you are just such an utterly incompetent person.

There's something about my daily affirmations that almost always perk me up. When Leslie, Rich, Michelle, and I headed back to The University of Maryland's world-famous
    MIDOL Extended Relief (R)
    Natatorium Complex
    , (call me old-fashioned, but I really this corporate purchasing of naming rights for athletic facilities has gone too far), I was determined to show the world what I was really made of--putrescent foul-smelling pustulent rot!

At the meet, another familiar forumite had arrived to cheer on her fellow losers:

Alison Simpson SwinShark Moore and I do an impression of narcoleptic lemurs on meth. We are two of the very few forumites who are 100 percent committed to President Obama and continue to send his re-election campaign as much money as we can possibly afford. Why? Because we both know we will be going on welfare soon.

After the joke photos have been taken, Alison and I turn serious. We point out each other's respective swimming infirmities. In Alison's case, it is a recently removed Manitou from her right ankle, a "cyst" that had threatened to grow into a malevolent Indian Midget God; in my case, it is an enormously fatted gut filled with visceral fat, precisely the sort of victual favored by Manitous.

After warm-up, I noted that my legs--though a bit less cramp-prone than the day before, thanks to A) the pink socks, and B) Leslie's kindly agreement to raise the air-conditioning setting up to 67 degrees as opposed to 66, my toes were nevertheless continuing to move under their own volition, that is, with no conscious input from me. This desultory shifting around, though normal enough in my restlessly flaccid manhood, is nevertheless not the norm in my toes and invariably presages problems with cramps.

I thus initiated a series of stretching maneuvers and anointment of the piggies with hot water in the shower.

Jimslie shows the other Jimslie how to stretch the pectoral muscles beneath freshly shaved moobs (male boobs). Note how the other Jimslie has absolutely no need to shave her own foobs thanks to the continuing legalization by FINA of enormous technical body suit covering of female flesh. Really, if FINA had any interest whatsoever in fairness, Leslie, Eney, Michelle, et al should be forced to wear male jammers and modesty pasties. Note: I may have to vlog in the future about my campaign to mandate FINA-approved pasties for female masters swimmers. If I forget to do this, please remind me.

As I climbed the blocks for today's first event, the 400 m freestyle, I felt my thighs cramp slightly. I told myself the following:

• Don't dive with gusto or the lifeguards are going to have to use the hook on you.
    • Swim the first 50 slightly out of your comfort zone; the next 100 easy; the next 50 slightly outside your comfort zone; the next 100 easy; then build the last 100.
    • If you suck, you will have established a new time you can beat in the future. If you don't suck...well, you are going to suck.

Last year's time, in a B70 at Indy, was:

Leg Cumulative Subtractive

1 35.14 35.14
    2 1:15.38 40.24
    3 1:54.79 39.41
    4 2:34.19 39.40
    5 3:12.20 38.01
    6 3:49.58 37.38
    7 4:25.50 35.92
    8 4:58.31 32.81

Imagine my delight, therefore, when I looked up at the scoreboard for this year's race and saw that I had beaten this (albeit slightly) in a pair of jammers! Woo, thank god, hoo!

1 34.84 34.84
    2 1:14.68 39.84
    3 1:54.11 39.43
    4 2:32.32 38.21
    5 3:10.71 38.39
    6 3:48.23 37.52
    7 4:24.40 36.17
    8 4:58.22 33.82

Adding to my delight here was the fact that my second 200 split was only .1 slower than my actual 200, with a dive, the day before, adding more evidence that the cramps and missed turn, more than total suckiness of body and character, had accounted for yesterday's pitiable performance in my best event.

And adding even more accelerants on my smoldering bonfire of joy and redemption: thanks to this year's relatively pedestrian swims in the 400 in my age group peers, today's 4:58.22 actually put me in third place nationally in the event rankings (though I understand another fellow, who swam worlds masters, is also ahead of me):

1 Wood, Larry W56 4:53.58 TXLA USMS 2010 Summer National Championships

2 Guadagni, Peter M55 4:57.40 WCM USMS 2010 Summer National Championships

3 Thornton, James58 4:58.22 TPIT 2010 Colonies Zone LCM & 6th Annual Terrapin Cup

If I'd known how close I was to glory, perhaps I would have swum a few more of the 8 lengths outside my comfort zone.

At this point, I was a little confounded. My 50 was decent, 200 awful, 400 decent, and 800/1500-1600 awful. Part of the reason I came to this meet was to see what effect the FINA suit change was likely to have on my swimming performance. I haven't swum LCM enough to really have a great sense of what various times mean, and I figured this would be a good way to cushion myself against what I thought would be a severe blow of at least 2 seconds per 100 (and maybe more) of slowing down this coming SCY season.

But to date, the data only told me that the suit changes makes a +6 sec. difference per 100 m in the 200; a +.5 sec. difference in the 50; and a -.01 difference in the 400.

Perhaps my final event, the 100 M free, would yield more definitive data?

Last year at Indy, once again, in full B70 knee skin regalia, I swam this distance in:

1 29.82 29.82
    2 1:00.87 31.05

And the year before, in this exact same U. Maryland pool, while wearing a Speedo Pro (that was stolen at the meet), I did it in:

1 29.69 29.69
    2 1:01.63 31.94

When I climbed the blocks this time, my toes were twitching violently, and my arches were in that pre-spasm phase. Again, I reminded myself not to dive off the blocks too hard for fear of triggering cramps, and not to go out too fast for fear of dying prematurely. I knew I would be going considerably slower in my jammer than in yesteryear's full body suits.

The question was how much slower?

My seed time was just under 1:05, and I wondered if--rather than sandbagging--I had inadvertently anti-sandbagged.

Somehow, I managed to finish the distance without cramps, and when I looked up at the scoreboard, I once again found reason for pleasant surprise:

1 30.09 30.09
    2 1:01.84 31.75

This time was only .97 slower than last year's effort in a B70, and .19 in a Speedo Pro. It also, I was delighted to discover, ended up beating all the women in the entire meet. Among others, I absolutely crushed top place female finisher, Fall Willeboordse,

Women 40-44 100 Freestyle
    ================================================== =========================
    Pl Name Age Club Seed Time Final Time Points
    ================================================== =========================
    1 Willeboordse, Fall 44 AGUA 1:00.90 1:01.86 9.00
    28.83 1:01.86(33.03)

Who knows how many more hundredths of a second I could have beaten Fall by if she had been wearing a jammer, too, and the pasties I will devote much of next year lobbying FINA to adopt, provided someone reminds me?

But that is neither here nor there.

Yet.

For now, it was time to celebrate my emancipation from the Platypusary of swimming and into the Platypusary of life!

To the victor goes the spoils. Not that I in any way think of Michelle as spoiled.

So, what did this meet teach me? What life lessons can you, my readers, take from my own experience in travail overcome, adversity leap-frogged, glory obtained via alternative routes?

Let me sum up for you:

1. If you are having trouble achieving glory, lower your standards for defining glory. In my case, if you can A) beat Leslie, Eney, and Fall in any event whatsoever, and B) swim in jammers somewhere only one to six seconds slower than your best 100 times in a cheating suit, then you, sir, are a resounding success!
    2. Positive affirmations are not necessary and, in fact, counterproductive to success. The old chestnut about "you can only achieve what you believe you can achieve" is absolute rubbish and squanders necessary psychic energy trying to talk your mind into something it knows to be false. Better by far to simply redefine and cognitively restructure misery in positive terms. Just as insomniacs often find relief by trying to stay awake, so do swimmers swim better when they prepare themselves ahead of time to swim horribly!
    3. After a meet such as this one, filled as it was with corporal, mental, emotional, spiritual, and psychosexual challenges, make sure to keep your eye on the road when driving back. I rear-ended a very angry woman while wool-gathering briefly on an entrance ramp.
    4. Finally, sitting on a guy's lap while fully clothed will not lead to panky or , for that matter, hanky--just the sort of sustained happy memory in the mind of the aged man such as me that will keep us asking for ventilators a little bit longer than we should.

Updated August 29th, 2010 at 06:39 PM by jim thornton

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Geek Copycat, Sunday, Aug. 29

by , August 29th, 2010 at 05:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    It is a beautiful day here. Nonetheless, I drove to an indoor pool to do an endurance workout. I swiped this one from Geekity.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm Up:

750 various

Main Set w/fins:

1 x 600 free @ 8:30 (went 7:26)
    6 x 50 kick @ 1:00, did flutter w/board (held 30s)
    1 x 500 free @ 7:00 (went 5:57)
    5 x 50 kick @ 1:00, backstroke kick (31s)
    1 x 400 free @ 6:00 (I recall that I went 4:26, but that seems awfully fast, although this was definitely my best effort of the set. Maybe it was 4:36?)
    4 x 50 kick @ 1:00, went flutter kick w/board (held 31s)
    1 x 300 free @ 5:00 (went 3:24) -- cramped and the wheels starting falling off
    3 x 50 kick @ 1:00 (cruised)
    1 x 200 free @ 3:00 (went 2:12)
    2 x 50 kick @ 1:00 (cruised)
    1 x 100 @ 2:00 (went 1:00)
    1 x 50 kick (cruised)

150 EZ

Total: 4000

Commentary:

Gawd, I forgot how hard it is to swim at a decent clip for more than 100 yards. Geek was right that this set has a compounding effect, and I was utterly gassed by the end. Actually, I had trouble starting at the 300 free. I thought I would pick up the kicks as they went. No way, I just cruised the last 6. I had contemplated doing drylands today, but I think I'll save that for tomorrow. (If I do any, I'll update my blog later.) The modifications that I made to Geek's set were that I did it all free (no backstroke) and I used fins throughout. I was attempting to get in a manageable rhythm so I wasn't just swimming in slow mo and to hold a 4 beat kick. I feel like I somewhat accomplished this. I may do a couple more of these type workouts before Savageman on Sept. 19. But, geez, what a loooong main set.

I was worried about losing count on these. So instead of counting lengths like a sprinter, I counted by 100s. Isn't that how you D folks do it?

First week back: 5 x swim, 2 x drylands and 1x yoga. Still want to shift into more drylands, but I can't do this right out of the box. I took one rest day -- yesterday -- because I was tired and beat up from the drylands on Friday. I typically use Saturday as my rest day anyway. Onward!

Updated August 29th, 2010 at 06:09 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout- 08/30/10

by , August 29th, 2010 at 01:03 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    1 X 100 1:40 1:30
    1 X 150 2:30 2:15
    Four times through. Round 1/2 intervals left, rounds 3/4 right.

1 X 500 swim

6 minute vertical kick 50 seconds on/10 off
    1 X 200 kick 4:15
    8 X 25 sprint kick :45

1 X 300 4:30
    3 X 100 1:30
    6 X 50 descend 1-3/4-6 :45
    Twice through

1 X 100 easy 2:00
    2 X 50 fast 1:00
    4 X 25 fast :45
    Choice. Three times through.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4800Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Real work today

by , August 28th, 2010 at 01:04 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    I desided to get 3000 done before the girls arrived. Wow

500 Free broken as 25,50,75,200,25,50,75,25,50,25
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    10x200@3:00 Free w/paddles & fins went 2:45, 2:42, 2:45, 2:41, 2:40, 2:39, 2:40, 2:40, 2:37, 2:31
    The girls finally came
    500 Free broken as 25,50,75,200,25,50,75,25,50,25
    50 free race I just got out touch by one but beat the other
    10x25 Fly drills
    100 kick
    10x25 Back drills

Total 4150 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Drylands + Swim, Friday, Aug. 27

by , August 27th, 2010 at 10:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

broomstick twists, 1 x 25
    RC work (internal & external rotators, seated straight arm dips, scapular scrunches, arm circles)
    flutter kicks on back on bosu, 2 x 50
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    twisting pole vaulters w/45 lb pole, 2 x 25
    med ball slams, 2 x 10
    Ryan Lochte, bench/bent over row/reverse scoop w/ 35 lb plate, 2 x 10+10+10
    standing lat pulldown, 120 x 3 x 15
    overhead squats w/broomstick,* 2 x 15
    hanging knee ins,** 2 x 15
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    hip hinges w/10 lb DBs, 1 x 15 each leg

* I decided to re-commence this exercise using a broomstick instead of the 45 lb bar to make sure my form was good.

** My un-callused hands are no longer used to hanging! And I forgot my weight lifting gloves.

This looked like kind of an interesting exercise -- stability ball twister -- that was posted on the DF: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYhTHh0IgRI"]YouTube- Dryland Exercises for Swimmers[/nomedia]

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Later in the day, and despite hating to swim outside, I trudged over to our neighborhood pool club and did the following:

Warm up:

500 various

Petra Set:

20 x 50 free w/paddles @ 1:00 or so
    (no pace clock, took some extra seconds for paddle changes)

1-5 regular paddles
    6-10 reverse paddle drill
    11-15 regular paddles + hypoxic
    16-20 reverse paddle drill + hypoxic

I wasn't sure what Speedo meant by hypoxic when describing this set, so I interpreted it to be 2 breaths per length. I'm not used to doing restricted breathing in freestyle, so it wasn't all that easy. I used my small green Strokemaster paddles for the regular swim. I used the larger red Catalyst paddles that I found around the house for the reverse paddle drill. The felt somewhat like I imagine the fulcrum paddles would feel like -- forcing more EVF than normal. I had better DPS with this method.

Speedo posted this link on my blog yesterday, and I'm thinking of getting some of these paddles: http://www.tropicalpenguin.com/FAST_...im_Paddle.html

50 EZ

Hypoxic Kick:

20 x 25 w/fins @ :40
    odds = dolphin kick on belly
    evens = flutter kick on belly

50 dolphin dive

Total: 2100 meters

Commentary:

I wasn't too tired after the drylands, but I feel pretty bushed now after the swim. Still, I feel like I got in a good day of working out. My shoulders are tired, but not sore. I'm hoping to go to bikram yoga tomorrow and do swim + drylands on Sunday. Feeling fierce and motivated again.

Updated August 27th, 2010 at 11:50 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  14. Shark Attack!!!!

by , August 27th, 2010 at 09:34 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    haha, I got you! I thought a catchy title might inspire more people to read my blog.

I haven't posted since school started; part too busy/tired, part just the fact that all my workouts seem to be the same and quite boring.
    I have been swimming a lot for me! (18-24 thousand meters a week) and I've come to the conclusion that quantity doesn't make me happy or faster. I plan to cut back and rest up the week before Big Shoulder's but right now I'd have to predict I'm going to have a disappointing swim.
    If I make it to Gino's East deep dish pizza, get a brownie from the place at Water Tower, and buy some cute clothing item I will consider the trip a victory!
    Oh Big Shoulder's will be my first race as a 55 year old! I will consider that some sort of personal victory too!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Friday, 8/27/10

by , August 27th, 2010 at 01:36 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM Solo

Warmup
    300 swim
    (alt. back and free)
    200 IM drill
    6 x 50/1:00 – 15-20-15
    (alt. back and free )

Set 1
    6 x 200/30 sr desc 3
    (went 3:10-3:05-2:58, 3:10-3:06-3:01)

Kick set
    1 x 200 smooth IM/5:00 (went 4:45)
    1 x 200 smooth /5:00 – major stroke (on back went 4:30)
    8 x 50/2:00 – FAST
    (alternated flutter w/board, flutter on back
    with board went 55-53-52-51; on back went 54-53-55-51)

Cool Down
    100 easy free and back

Total: 2900 meters

Updated August 27th, 2010 at 02:49 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Thursday, 8/26/10

by , August 27th, 2010 at 01:32 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM & SCY Solo

Warm up
    400 Choice
    (started outside but had to move indoors after this because of the weather)

SCY
    8 x 50/1:00
    1) 25 fast - 25 easy
    2) 25 easy - 25 fast
    3) 50 easy
    4) 49.9 ? fast!
    (did 1-4 free, 5-8 back; fast free was 35, fast back was 38)

Major Set #1:
    3 x 400/30sr Choice - NS each 400
    {did free on 1 and 2; #1 went 5:45 (2:55-2:50); #2 went 5:40 (2:50-2:50)
    Back on #3; went 6:15 (3:10-3:05)}

Major Set #2:
    6 x 50/1:15 Fly (15 Fast Fly - 20 Fly Drill - 15 Fast Fly)
    (did 1 arm for drill ave 45 on these)
    6 x 50/1:15 Breaststroke strong ds 3
    (did these between 55 and 50)
    6 x 50/1:15 Back strong ds 3
    (went 44-42-39 both times through)

Kick Set
    4 x 100 w/10sr
    (odds flutter with board, evens flutter on back)

Cool down
    100 easy back and free

Total: 400 meters, 2600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. 8/27 Workout

by , August 27th, 2010 at 01:14 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Warm up
    - 6x50 drill swim*
    - 4x75 kick with fins (did an extra 50)
    - 4x150 ?? (don't remember what the end of warm up was)
    Main Set
    - 10x100 on 1:20 (first 1:07, rest 1:09/1:10, goal was sub 1:10, so I was a little slow)
    - 4x50 kick with fins on :45
    - 4x50 back on :50
    - 200 reverse IM
    - 2x150 on 2:00 (1:40, 1:40)
    Cool down
    - 200 back ez

* Swimming 50s during warm up is like pouring icewater down my pants. I don't do it because it is too cold. Swam non-stop drill swim.

Swam with Mark, Gerald and Anna on the main set today. Mark said he was just going to try to survive 1:20s and Anna made funny faces. All made it (Gerald did 75s).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. FRI Aug 27th, 2010

by , August 27th, 2010 at 12:10 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Did not swim today
    got this email last night

Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:14 PM
    To: txla-masters@utlists.utexas.edu
    Subject: [txla-masters] practice cancelled on FRIDAY & SATURDAY

Practices are cancelled tomorrow and Saturday. TXLA has not been able to get a finalized contract from the city for use of any of their pools. We hope to have this in place by Monday morning. I will send out updates as soon as I get them. Please forward to anyone not on the email list.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Whitney

we also got this email too

Just in case you can find somewhere to swim on your own. Sorry again!

FAST FRIDAY 8/27

Warm-Up
    300 free swim
    100 RA
    300 free pull
    100 LA
    300 free drag fingertips
    100 kick

Main Set
    1 x 400 free FAST
    100 easy
    500 with fins(75 kick/25 strong swim)
    2 x 200 FAST rest 3:00 between
    100 easy
    500 IM(50 kick/50 drill/25 swim)
    4 x 100 FAST rest 2:00 between
    100 easy
    500 pull(75 free/25 back)

Saturday 8/28

Warm-up
    200 free
    75 kick(IM order)
    25 FAST swim(IM order)
    above x 4

Main Set
    20 x 100 @ 1:20-2:20
    1-4 free aerobic pace(mile pace) moderate interval

800 with fins(300 kick/100 IM swim) x 2

10 x 100
    1 @ 1:25
    1 @ 1:20 EXAMPLE INTERVAL
    1 @ 1:15
    1 @ 1:10
    1 @ 1:05
    down is swim; rest 1:00 go back up pulling
    100 cooldown
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Get it together mcdonnell!

So the past two to three weeks I've been seriously in a funk, out of the loop, whatever you want to call it.
    We've pushed up to 4 practices a week in the pool. I'm really thankful for it. I love swimming so much that another day is very welcomed! My times are dropping little by little and my endurance is building up pretty quickly. I'm doing my best to beat everyone around me. I have some serious competition though. Brian's been keeping pretty much even with me in everything. Anne and Laura have been kicking my butt unless its in pull mostly because I rock pull something fierce.

However

As a result of me gaining strength in swimming: I can afford to go on less sleep (significantly less sleep). When I don't sleep well, I don't eat well. When I don't eat well, I don't feel as good. When I don't feel good, I don't lift. If I don't lift, I don't sleep as well.... its a vicious cycle. I've also been drinking more than enough. I've also been eating a TON. I've been more hungry these past couple weeks than I was all summer long.

So - time to reset. I'm a little hungover this morning so I didn't go in to work.
    Goal 1) Lift at least 5 times by next Saturday.
    I have swimming Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.
    I have basketball on Wednesday.
    So I should be able to lift today, Saturday, Sunday and maybe Monday.
    I'll take Tuesday and Wednesday off to make sure I can play basketball (its the semi finals for our basketball league) and swim immediately following.
    Then I should be able to lift Thursday, Friday, Saturday.
    This is great! I should be able to get back on my 3 days on, 1 days off pattern as recommended by my trainer
    Goal 2) Get my diet reorganized.
    I'm going to focus back on intelligent eating. I need turkey, chicken, a loaf of bread, tons of veggies, bananas, berries, and a gallon of milk.
    Goal 3) Get my rest. (~8 hours a night)
    Before I started swimming I could pretty much function pretty efficiently on 3-4 hours of sleep a day. Once I started - I had to start getting more like 8-9 hours of sleep. Now that I'm finally starting to get stronger in my swimming, I'm starting to drift back down to about 6-7 hours of sleep and my body is letting me know that that's not cool.

Alright - that's my trinity of goals. There's absolutely no reason why I should not be able to make those goals with the exception of me holding myself back.

Okay. Time to eat breakfast finally and make these goals a reality!
  20. A good fast day!

by , August 27th, 2010 at 09:34 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just felt fast as I got into the workout more. Still having the same aches and pains through.

1000 Free as 200 swim/pull/swim/kick/swim
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 50 fast rest moderate
    5x200@4:00 Fly w/fins as 50 rt arm/50 lt arm/50 kick on back/50 fast swim went 3:31, 3:30, 3:27, 3:27, 3:17
    2x400@7:00 Free w/paddles & bouy went 6:14 and 5:56
    200 Free easy

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized