View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Tuesday, 8/10/10

by , August 10th, 2010 at 12:38 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, with Carrie

Warm up
    300 free
    200 Kick w/board
    100 Scull/Pull Free
    200 Back
    200 Kick on back
    100 Scull/Pull Back

Swim
    10 x 50
    3 x 50/50 build
    1 x 50/45 fast
    2 x 50/50 build
    1 x 50/40 Faster
    1 x 50/50 build
    1 x 50/35 fastest
    1 x 50 easy

Kick
    4 x 100 Kick 10m underwater
    3 x 100 10 fast kicks into 4 fast strokes then kick moderate into wall
    (1 free, 1 fly, 1 back)
    time 100 fast kick
    (on back, went 1:50)

Cool down
    100 easy

Total: 2500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Sunk Redux: End of the Summer Open Water Swim

by , August 10th, 2010 at 12:40 AM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    It's not the years in your life, but the life in your years that matter.

--Anonymous, date unknown

How quickly my once proudest boast, "There is not one ounce of fat on this boy!" has transformed into "There is not one ounce of boy in this fat!"

--Jim Thornton, 1983

The summer continues to pass by in a humid blink. With each passing year, the acceleration of time's flow becomes that much more bamboozlingly rapid. For a FINA-58-year-old like me, no sooner have I had such thoughts than a natural worry comes to mind. To wit, how will I possibly have time to make my burial preparations, so quickly are the nanosecond-like years speeding by.

But then I think: Oh, what an impractical worry you are torturing yourself with, Jim! Given the speed of time's passing, the friction alone will burn you to bits, a spontaneous combustion that all but eliminates the need for any additional mortuary science!

And I find peace in this.

It seems like only a half hour ago since the Range War! of inchoate animosities broke out on the forum, stoked by misunderstandings and turf battling nincompoopitude that very few, if any of us, understood. Not that it stopped very entertaining criss-crossing spurts of bile from ejaculating into every corner of the forumite community!

It seems like only a second ago that I contributed two new slogans to the USMS greater community--one, of course, not mine at all, but rather a "found" gem, like Marcel DuChamps legendary "readymades," the most famous of which was arguably:

Fountain by Marcel DuChamp

USMS Forums:

A cesspool full of combative weirdoes and irrelevant losers!

Forum T-Shirt Slogan "Found"by Jim Thornton

[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=17197"]Forum T-Shirt Logo Poll - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

USMS! Where Sad Old Men Go to Die

Advertising campaign tag line ideated by Jim Thornton

[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=222988#post222988"]What Does USMS Needs to do to grow to 100,000+ Members? - Page 2 - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

Perhaps such ideas are ahead of their time; in any event, they garnered little interest at the time of their posting, and I suspect they will garner little interest now. I include them here only so that 1,000 years from now, swimming cultural anthropologists might perhaps unearth from the rubble of today's ephemerata valuable clues as to how the sport evolved to what they are doing then from what we are doing now.

I daresay such historians will look upon today's strokes with the same bemusement we now regard the doggie paddle!

But enough speculation.

Let me get to the point of today's entry: the official announcement of The Jim Thornton Annual Pre-Birthday Open Rough Water Shark and Snapper Blue 2-Mile Swim.

Two quick modifications. I thought that last year was the first time I did this, but it turns out it was two years ago. Moreover, for the second event, I am planning to change it from a 2-mile swim to a 5K swim.

Thus the new name--and the way I hope you will note the event on your desk calendar, Blackberry-like device, and other reminder technologies is:

The Jim Thornton Bi-Annual (not to be confused with Semi-Annual, as I almost did) Pre-Birthday Open Rough Water Shark and Snapper Blue 5K Swim.

Here are the particulars:

1. The JTBA(ntbcwsaaiad)PBORWSaSB5KS (for short) will be held sometime during the week of August 23-29th, that is, after the Colony Zones LCM Championships are over at the U. Maryland.
    2. The venue for the swim is Ocean City, New Jersey, not too terribly far from my twin brother's house, in the Atlantic Ocean, with the finish line being the pier at 52nd Street, I am pretty sure, though it's possible the pier is on 53rd, 54th, 55th, or 56th Street. This detail will be worked out before the starter's signal blasts or tweets.
    3. Chances are fairly good that I will be tired from the LCM meet and probably won't want to hold my event on Monday, or even Tuesday, though these days cannot be ruled out. The actual day will be announced here on my blog at least 24 hours in advance of the actual race.
    4. The starting time for the event will be after 5 p.m., because you don't need to pay for a beach tag after 5.
    5. On the day of the race, I will ascertain whether the rip currents are yanking swimmers in a generally north to south direction, or reverse. I will then use my brother's car to drive 3.1 miles up or down the beach accordingly (we will be swimming with the current, not against it) to establish the starting point.
    6. This event is not sanctioned, not recognized, not safe, not protected by life guards, and possibly fatal for a variety of reasons foreseeable and unforeseeable.
    7. This event is not really an event. It is more of a communal coincidence. If you want to do a purely personal swimming challenge entirely of your own volition, and you want to coincidentally do this when I do it too, and perhaps even race against me, why then I cannot stop you! It is a free (and under normal circumstances a litigious) country, though there are absolutely no grounds whatsoever for litigation with my communally coincidental swimming thingy.
    8. The above notwithstanding, I will have indemnification papers and liability waivers for you to sign if, in fact, you act against my strongest recommendations TO NOT DO THIS UNSAFE ACTIVITY, which could involved run ins with sea life including, but not limited to, snapper blues, sharks, selkies, and crabs.
    9. My cell phone number is (412) 651-2100 and my email address is jamesthornton1@comcast.net. (If you haven't already, please befriend me on Facebook, too, at James Scott Thornton.) If you are going to be anywhere near Ocean City that week and want to swim, let me know and I will send you a text when I figure out the day.
    10. My twin brother John might be cajoled into filming the event.
    11. He does have a garage. Knowing John, I think he would consider a reasonable rent for anyone who wants to camp out in his garage the night before or after the race. I should add that my son Jack once said when he was 6 or 7, "Uncle John, you have a serious green head problem"--green heads being these biting flies that thrive on the salt marshes against which John's garage abuts. Again, there will be waiver and indemnity forms to sign for any potential garage campers.
    12. Finally, unlike most OW events where the most threatening form of life one is likely to collide with is the Brooklyn Whitefish (AKA Coney Island Whitefish), the real challenge of the JTBA(ntbcwsaaiad)PBORWSaSB5KS is not the swim itself, which should be relatively easy, especially if the current is strong, but rather dealing with the psychological creepiness of the venue. To wit, you have to go out a fair distance to reach water that is not being buffeted by breaking waves. The water, though extremely clean, is nevertheless murky; and in this murk, the shadows of monsters do occasionally appear to play about. Once, when I was swimming through the pier pilings, trying to avoid being dashed against the razor barnacles encrusting the wood, I saw something about 6 feet across float by right underneathe my body. It was a large ray of some sort. But by the time I realized it meant me no harm, there were a few involuntary palpitations triggered by proximity to such a murk-dwelling leviathan! I guarantee that anyone who signs up for the swim will have phantoms, real or imaginary, to deal with. They become all the more sinister, I must say, when one has swum so far off shore to avoid the crashing surf that land itself occasionally disappears totally from view when one sinks into a wave trough!
    13. But still, it's very fun, and the water is a wonderful cool temperature, the perfect antidote to this summer heat and global warming foreshadowing!
    14. Here is a vlog from yesteryear about the first official race, which I must say I won handily. I will also separately link the film my brother made of that special day, a film he named simply, Sunk!

http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=791

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kso-cO0RrJU&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- ‪Sunk‬‎[/nomedia]

Updated August 10th, 2010 at 01:09 AM by jim thornton

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Monday, Aug 9

by , August 9th, 2010 at 10:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Another beautiful beach day. I had no desire to make the trek to the Y today, so I braved the ocean. Probably not so wise. It was a yellow flag day and very choppy. Plus, I was swimming against the current somewhat. I felt like I was going nowhere. I swam about halfway to the far pier in almost the same time it took to go the whole way last week. No idea how OW swimmers do this all the time ... I'll head back to the Y tomorrow for some sprints.

Mr. Fort had much better luck. He rode part of the B2B course, going 68 miles and averaging 22.3 mph. He's anxious to see how fast he'll be with zipps.

Heading home on Friday. I'll be beached out by then. I've managed to weasel out of a small family reunion that weekend involving travel and young children. I need to get back to my own pool, dammit! And I need to start plotting some good 3-4 day escapes for the rest of the year. I also need to start formulating a training plan like Patricks. Not sure what my meet agenda will be (although I will plan on the Sprint Classic).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Monday, Aug 9

by , August 9th, 2010 at 10:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Another beautiful beach day. I had no desire to make the trek to the Y today, so I braved the ocean. Probably not so wise. It was a yellow flag day and very choppy. Plus, I was swimming against the current somewhat. I felt like I was going nowhere. I swam about halfway to the far pier in almost the same time it took to go the whole way last week. No idea how OW swimmers do this all the time ... I'll head back to the Y tomorrow for some sprints.

Mr. Fort had much better luck. He rode part of the B2B course, going 68 miles and averaging 22.3 mph. He's anxious to see how fast he'll be with zipps.

Heading home on Friday. I'll be beached out by then. I've managed to weasel out of a small family reunion that weekend involving travel and young children. I need to get back to my own pool, dammit! And I need to start plotting some good 3-4 day escapes for the rest of the year. I also need to start formulating a training plan like Patricks. Not sure what my meet agenda will be (although I will plan on the Sprint Classic).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Good start for Nationals

by , August 9th, 2010 at 05:44 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Got in late yesterday so I was only able to to 1200 meters yesterday.

Today managed a good 1500 Free in 22:55.85 for 4th place. Had a little difficulty breathing half way thru and had to slow down but after I got my breathing under control it was back to normal pace. When I looked at the splits I held 45-46 per 50 with one 48 (breathing issue here). Very pleased with the swim over all.

With warm up and warm down went 3000 meters today.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. 8/9 Workout

This was a sneaky workout.

Warm up
    - 4x
    -- 100 swim
    -- 50 kick no board
    -- 50 stroke
    Main Set
    -- Goal to hold the same pace the entire set
    -- 15 seconds rest
    -- I picked 1:10 pace (wisely?)
    - 12x50 on :50 (held :35s without problem)
    - 6x100 on 1:25 (1:10s-1:12s)
    - 3x200 on 2:35 (2:21-2:23s)
    - 40 seconds extra rest (waiting for Mark was my excuse)
    - 1x600 on 7:15 (7:20 oops)
    Cool down
    - 200 ez

This doesn't look like a hard set and I was worried during the 50s that I picked a pace that was too easy. During the end of the 100s I started to worry and I held back just a little during the 200s knowing that 600 was yet to come. I am very happy with the set, and I probably would have made 7:15 if I hadn't had to raise my head so many times to check to clock to figure out where in the 600 I was. All the clocks short course are on the end walls, with none on the side walls so no checking the clock on a breath.

Mark did this on the same intervals, but didn't grasp what doing the 50s on 50 meant for the 200s. He had a rough time during the 200s and took a couple minute break before the 600 as a result. This is the first time since Lazy Wife stopped swimming that someone has swam a set on my intervals which was nice, especially with the set being as long as it was.

Non-swimming nonsense

I read Fort's article on finding happiness in life and there are two things that were pointed out that I have done (accidentally).

First, when we bought our current house, a prime consideration was its proximity to a masters team. Activities bring happiness, and close proximity to those activities encourages you to more frequently participate in them (from the article).

Second, taking two 3-4 day vacations instead of a 7 day vacation or longer. Our reasoning behind this taking 2 trips instead of one is outside the scope of this forum, but the first trip worked out great, and next year we are planning on taking several short trips instead of longer trips. The idea is that a lot of pleasure from trips is derived from the anticipation that goes along with them, thus more frequent is better. From my experience, after about 5 days on most vacations I don't want to be vacationing anymore. Asia was an exception.

Thanks for the article Fort.

Updated August 9th, 2010 at 04:53 PM by qbrain

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Toys galore

This morning I swam the early AGUA workout. August is such a nice peaceful month in the city—the pool felt very spacious this morning, with just 4-5 swimmers per lc lane. We had a treat this morning—Coach Frank from Curl-Burke guest coached (our regular coach, Craig, is away with our “national team” in Puerto Rico). Frank was super nice and full of energy, at 5:30 in the morning no less. I adapted the workout as necessary for my taper. Here’s what we did:

500 lcm warmup

5 x 100 (50 K / 50 easy swim) @ :20 rest

4 x 200 wrap-around, skip-stroke IMs @ 4:00: 1st 200 = FL/BK/BR/FL, 2nd = BK/BR/FR/BK, 3rd = BR/FR/FL/BR, 4th = FR/FL/BK/FR

4 x 300 w/ paddles:
    First we had a technique talk on correct paddle technique (keep elbows high and rotate, should feel it in the lats, not the shoulders)
    --On the first 300, we wore a paddle on our right hand only, and swam 100 right-arm only (50 w/ left arm at side, 50 w/ left arm in front), 100 left-arm only (50 w/ rt. arm at side, 50 w/ rt. arm in front), then 100 using both arms.
    --On the 2nd 300, we wore a paddle on our left hand only, and did the mirror-image of the above
    --On the 3rd 300, we wore paddles on both hands and otherwise did the same thing as on #1
    --The 4th 300 was paddles on both hands, 200 back build + 100 FR
    [Doing the one-arm drills with just one paddle on felt confusing, plus I was getting remarkably far behind my lanemates, so I got out mid-way through the 2nd 300 and watched how my teammates did these drills for a bit. Keeping the motion continuous and fluid seemed to be the key—I think I was stopping and starting too much with each single arm stroke. Then I noticed that two of our swimmers who were PR-bound today were doing some fast swims from a dive in another lane, so I went over there and practiced a few dives and got some good pointers. I hopped back into my lane near the end of the 3rd 300. On the 4th 300, I ditched the paddles and did 4 x 50 BK (25 sprint, 25 easy) + 100 FR easy

4 x 200 w/ fins (150 kick + 50 swim choice)
    [I just did the first of these with fins, and really hammered the 50 swim (FR), which was majorly fun. I then warmed down finless for the last two.]

Midway through my warmdown I was submerged under the water doing breaststroke on my back, and I happened to look backwards and saw one of my lanemates doing fly with fins swimming towards me. It looked really cool! After that, I tried lying on the pool bottom and watching several of my friends as they swam by. It’s a neat effect.

Over the weekend I watched U.S. nats on tv. Here’s some thoughts:

--I wondered what Lochte could go for a 200 BR—that stroke looked great on both of his IMs.

--My disapproval of earlier tech suits on purely aesthetic grounds still stands for the current generation. I don’t at all like seeing all 8 finalists wearing the same solid black suit. If Speedo can make sparkly emerald green sneakers for Lochte, can’t they custom-make some colorful graphic-y suits for their stars? (Or if not custom make—I think that might run afoul of FINA regs, alas—at least produce their suits in a variety of colors and patterns, a la their very successful Flipturns line?) For $375 you should get pretty suit, not just a fast one!
    On one night that swimming was not on Universal Sports, they carried a track meet from Stockholm at which Usain Bolt was wearing a cool custom designed singlet. It would be neat to see something similar done with our tech suits.

--The thinner parts of the Speedo suit are very sheer, especially in the sunlight at outdoor meets. Some of the guys almost looked like they were wearing black nylon stockings over codpieces.

--The Arena women’s suit (worn by Rebecca Soni) is very aggressively cut in on the sides. Arena racing suits were always cut like that in the 80s and 90s, but it’s interesting that they went back to that minimal-fabric back design once zippers were outlawed.

--I want to try those starting blocks with the slanted bit in the back. Do any pools that host masters meets in the northeast have them?

Yesterday I went over to my 220y track and did plyo. I had planned to plyo while on vacation in Lake Placid—I had even chosen the grassy infield of the Olympic speed-skating oval as my venue—but had to postpone it for a few days after stubbing my toe on a heavy wooden Adirondack chair. Nothing broken, but the toe swelled up under the nail and was painful for a few days. I was worried that I might lose the toenail, but now it seems fine, and I can once again wear running shoes without pain.

Here’s what I did yesterday:

Warmup

4 x 40y sprint (85, 90, 95, 100%)

5 x 40y skip:
    warmup skip
    skipping for height, both legs
    skipping for height, right leg
    skipping for height, left leg
    skipping for distance, both legs

I left off the one-legged skips for distance, because my right knee was feeling a little wonky right at the place (MCL) where it was injured last summer. It feels ok today, though, so I’m glad of that. I’m still very nervous about injuring myself with the plyo, so am being pretty conservative about how much and how quickly I add stuff. I might get in one more plyo session before Zones, if my legs feel good this Wednesday or Thursday, or this might be the last one for a couple of weeks.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Saturday, 8/7/10

by , August 9th, 2010 at 12:05 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, with Carrie

Warm up
    500 Choice
    (did mix of free and back)
    10 x 50/50 ds 4 - 3 - 3

Main Set:
    2x
    400 Pull w/paddles/10sr
    2 x 300 Kick/10sr build
    3 x 100/2:00 Strong Pace
    4 x 100/1:30 Fast Tempo
    (Did Back on 1st round, free on 2nd round.)

Cool down
    100 easy

Total: 4500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Sunday, Aug. 8

by , August 8th, 2010 at 07:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Travelled to the Wilmington Y again and lined up at the door with the triathletes when it opened at 1:00 pm.

Warm up:

700 various

Transition Set:

16 x 50 drill, 4 of each stroke

8 x 50, done as 25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ

50 EZ
    (1950)

Speed Set:

3 x (1 x 50 AFAP + 2 x 50 EZ)
    (1 breast, 1 back kick and 1 back -- times were OK, given the shallow pool and wall lane)

6 x (25 AFAP + 25 EZ)

Warm down:

3 x 100 free w/paddles

6 x 50, done as 25 dolphin dive + 25 breast drill (1 pull, 3 kicks UW)

50 EZ

Total: 3350

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Hit the beach in the morning and then went to the Y. There were mostly tris and perhaps one masters swimmer there. And then, alas, a noodler happened into the lap pool. She came to my lane and asked (albeit sweetly) if it was OK if she noodled around at one end of my lane; she was "sure" this would not effect my workout. WTF?! Seriously inane, as she had seen me (and other real lap swimmers) actually "swimming." I said (likewise sweetly) "no, that wouldn't work at all." For a change, the lifeguard backed me up and told her to noodle in the ramp area.

Had a smoothie and returned to the beach. Getting ready to dine out. I'm trying not to cook much on this vacation.

I looked at the results for Worlds. The times look significantly slower than last year's FINA rankings, that's for sure. The winning time in the 50 back in my age group was 34.1. There's been much speculation about who (men or women) and what type of swimmer will be most effected by the suit change. I have to think it would be more significant in LCM than SCY for masters, despite the suits helping on the walls.

Interesting article in the NYT about experience trumping hedonic adaptation if happiness is your goal. We should attend swim meets instead of buying fancy cars. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/bu...s&st=cse&scp=1.

NYT article on Jessica Hardy: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/sp...ardy&st=Search.

Updated August 9th, 2010 at 10:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Weekend Swim

by , August 8th, 2010 at 04:15 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Swam with the Sharks on Saturday.
    Coach Alex

10 Min Warmup

8 x 50 choice on :60

2 x 30 min swim (Yikes)

Warm Down

I was late starting and Early leaving.
    Busy Busy Saturday!!

I made 2150 on the 1st 30 min.
    At least that's what my watch counted.
    I have no idea. It always right on on all other
    swims so I guess it was right.

Sunday Morning (LCM)

Take out SCY lane lines, Put in LCM lane lines
    4 x 200 Choice is what I did

Repeat 3x
    100 on 1:40 (:10r)
    200 on 3:20 (:20r)

10 x 50 on 1 min (Everyone did these together)

Warm down
    Take out LCM lane lines, Put in SCY lane lines
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Twice Foiled! Sat., Aug. 7

by , August 7th, 2010 at 08:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I was foiled twice today in my attempts to swim. But this time it wasn't thunder and lightening. Much more prosaic -- the dreaded kid pooping in the pool mid workout and a red flag day at the beach. I seem to get more aggravated with every increasing kid incident. (And, for the record, my 3 kids never closed down a pool.) And this time, the kids weren't even supposed to be in the lap pool at the Y ... So all I got in was the following warm up, which was supposed to precede some fast 25s and 50s.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Transition Sets:

5 x 50 single arm fly @ :15 RI

5 x 50 breast drill (alternating dolphin kick and breast kick) @ 1:00

3 x:

1 x 50 breast pull w/buoy
    1 x 100 free w/paddles

Total: 1650

Kid turd interruption ... I guess I'm officially "tapering" now ...

I dashed back to the beach to hop in and do a pier to pier swim, but no dice. It was a red flag day and the lifeguards weren't letting swimmers out very deep, certainly not past the surfers. So, another poor swimming day. I plan to attempt to hit the Y again tomorrow, as I suspect it will be another red flag day due to tropical storms at sea. In the meantime, I did finish the Stieg Larsson series and we did manage to rent the Swedish movie of book #1. I wouldn't be surprised if there were ultimately other books written, as he apparently left copious notes upon his death. I read somewhere that Daniel Craig will play Michael Blomkvist. Wrt the trilogy, I basically agree with the NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/bo...ewanted=1&_r=1.

And another NYT article about disgusting side effects of gym going: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/he...me&ref=general.

Updated August 8th, 2010 at 12:45 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Back to the pool

Today I swam in a pool again for the first time in over a week. I spent much of the last week in Lake Placid, swimming in one of my favorite spots in all the world, Mirror Lake:

Mirror Lake is the smaller lake around which the village of Lake Placid is built. It measures about 1.5 miles by .5 miles, has a buoy line set up that makes swimming straight very easy, and doesn’t allow any motorboats. All that combined, plus the 74-degree water temp (on the high side for this time of year, but still very pleasant), made it a very swimmer-friendly place to vacation. We’ve spent some time there most every summer since first visiting in 1994 for an open-water race.

I didn’t do workouts per se or record yardage while on vacation (or blog), just got in and swam however much felt good a couple of times a day. This morning when I swam in the pool things like streamlining and turning definitely felt a bit rusty!

Here’s the workout I did this morning with the Asphalt Green masters. Since I’ve started my taper for zones in 2 weeks, I modified things as needed.

500 lcm warmup

500 swim, every 3rd length catch-up free

5 x 100 FR/BK @ 1:50 [held 1:31-1:34s]

6 x 100 (75 Kick fast / 25 easy swim) @ big rest [practices bobbing and sinking in between]

6 x 50 choice race pace to feet @ 1:20 [I did odds fast, evens 40 easy/10 fast]

After this, there was a longish set involving various equipment. I instead hopped over to an empty lane and did the following bit before getting out early:

2 x (virtual 200 IM + 100 easy) [For my virtual IMs, I do the first and last 10-15 meters of each length fast stroke, the rest easy free, while mentally rehearsing my keys for the 200 IM, a race I’ll swim at Zones]

200 warmdown

It was nice to have a princess lane where I could do my little taper IM set without worrying about dodging other swimmers.

Over the next couple of weeks my plan is to swim as often as possible, while increasingly limiting the amount of hard yardage I’m doing. I like playing in the water a lot while I’m tapering, and August—when many people are away, and the kids team is on a more limited practice schedule—tends to be a great time to find the space to do that.
  13. So much for that idea

by , August 7th, 2010 at 09:37 AM (Life in the (not so) fast lane)
    I had every intention of getting up on time this morning and spending about 90 minutes in the pool. However, last night I got really tired, crashed around 8:00, and woke up a little after 6:00 this morning.

I had absolutely zero motivation to swim, so after giving myself some time to wake up I threw on some shorts and running shoes and ran about 3 miles. I have a half marathon coming up next month for which I am woefully unprepared, so I had better get some kind of training in. I ran it last year with no prior training whatsoever and found myself hating life for the last five miles. Today's run isn't going to cut it, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

I may try to swim tomorrow but I don't like the Y on Sundays with the pool full of kids.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. A different Kind of Suit

by , August 7th, 2010 at 09:12 AM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Wedding Pic

I just have to share a picture
    of me walking my Baby Girl Down the aisle.
    I'm not used to wearing this kind of Suit.
    I much prefer my Speedo Training Suit.

Now If I can get my daughter swimming.
    I got her at the pool one day and she
    was keeping up with me kicking.
    It's a blessing and a curse to have to
    wear 4e shoes! And her feet are just
    like mine. Poor Girl!!

Updated August 8th, 2010 at 09:11 PM by Bo Martin (Link Didn't work)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Here and Now

by , August 6th, 2010 at 08:57 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    UUgh!!! Last day of summer vacation. Probably the nicest day (weather-wise) of the last 3 months.
    I got up late (7:30 a.m.) and checked home, work e-mails, and looked at fb.
    I followed my daily ritual of yard/pool work and then headed off for my swim at the Monon Center.
    The Indiana Pacer's have apparently rented some pool time for athlete knee rehab. I noticed 4 young, very tall, black gentlemen jogging, sidestepping, bounding, and jumping up to the bs flags in both the deep and shallow ends. I totally recognized the guy on the sidelines running the show(but I forget his name). I was going a Glenn mills distance pacing workout today so I enjoyed the unusual distraction in lanes 1 and 2.
    I don't know why but I got involved in long conversations with 2 different men today at the pool as well. The first one needed some help and directions with his swimming. I think I've got him buzzing around the right corner's now! The other is part of a group I sometimes skip Nasti's to swim with. I was glad to see him and hope to start swimming with that group again soon!
    The Workout: I was tired today. I am trying to swim the entire month of August without a day off. Swimming makes me happy (when I'm done) so why deny myself the chance to be happy on any given day?

**400 freestyle moderate
    **400 freestyle breathe every 3 breaths
    **400 Freestyle Pull (buoy and paddles)
    **400 Freestyle Kick
    **6 X 200 on 3:30 (Alternate swim 200/ pull 200/ kick 200)
    **16 X 100 Freestyle
    1st 4: descent intervals 2:00/ 1:55/ 1:50/ 1:45
    2nd 4: 1:50/ 3:40/ 5:30/ 7:20
    3rd 4: 1:45/ 3:30/ 5:15/ 7:00
    4th 4: 1:40/ 3:20/ 5:00/ 6:40
    4,400 scy

I headed off to school to try and get some work done after the workout. I was in one of my zombie-states and accomplished very little. (I did organize a bulletin board but it's not up yet) I'll go back tomorrow. I need to post a pic of the new wooden floor my school purchased; it's beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!! (job security too) Sad thing is I couldn't get my computer to fire up! I trekked down the tech guy; come to find out there was so much saw dust and concrete dust blown into my office that it had creaked into the computer and clogged it up. We jointly took the thing apart and blew it out and got it up and working!! I'll have to go back tomorrow to get myself properly prepared for day 1.

I arrived home to find my eldest daughter and a friend with the 2 little kids she nanny's for in the pool. The youngest of the 2, an adorable 5 year old boy just found out yesterday his leukemia is back and there's nothing they can do for it! Apparently he was given 3-6 months to live. I love children and a situation like this for me is nearly impossible. I constantly thank the Lord I have never had to deal with this whilst my kids were in their youth.
    This little guy was telling me about butterflies and chyrsellis (sp) and how much he loves them. A light bulb went off in my head and I remembered a TY beanie butterfly I had somewhere in my house that used to be treasured by one of my kids. I quickly excused myself to look for the b'fly and much to my amazement found it quickly.
    I wish I had a pic of the light in this little guy's eyes when he say the butterfly! It was precious! He didn't even have to lower the mask to let me see his smile (well I made him anyway)! I am going to pray some type of miracle comes along for this guy! Please!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Thunder, Friday, Aug. 6

by , August 6th, 2010 at 08:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    After a decent morning at the beach, thunder foiled my plans for both a swim in the ocean or a swim at the Y. So I took an involuntary rest day. The weather is supposed to be somewhat sketchy tomorrow, so I plan to get to the Y whenever it is open.

In the meantime, I:

1. Am almost done with the Stieg Larsson series. Sniff. sniff. Next up: The Dead End Gene Pool.

2. On Julie O'Roddin's recommendation, I purchased a black running skirt. Much cooler and more comfy than shorts. Can't wait to try it out running or at the gym.

3. I returned a sugoi swimsuit. Hated the way it fit.

4. Am getting ready to dine at a restaurant on the pier and hoping not to get rained on.

5. I saw Inception last night. Quite liked it, though I kept wondering about whether it really took that much effort to plant the seed of an idea in someone's head ... I ordered The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, as it is not rentable. here.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Since its been over a week....

So the last two weeks have been a little off kilter thus far. My roommates have gone out of town and left me with their dog Sophie.

Now - I love Sophie. She's seriously the most awesome dog in the world. She's a complete sweetheart and pretty much the only girl who likes me these days anyway

However - with the sweet comes the slightly annoying. She wants a lot of my attention. Last week - I was just kind of getting into the swing of things just being her and I and I wasn't thinking too clearly. She pretty much monopolized my after work time when I wasn't working on computers. I felt bad just leaving her in the cage all day, so this was a combo effect all across the board. The only things I made time for that week were team events: swim practice, basketball and softball.
    I actually found myself in a bit of a funk as a result of not lifting. I was feeling generally in nature and my attempts to correct or alleviate the situation were only met with more problems and things just getting in my way.
    HOWEVER on the flip side. Thursday night's swim practice was probably the fast I've swam ever. I don't think I've ever really taken the time to give myself enough rest for meets now that I'm thinking about it. I swam roughly 10% faster as a result!

Then swimming ended last Sunday. Its been difficult to get in the pool just due to time constraints. However this time - I've got a strategy. I put up the money and threw Sophie into a puppy day care so she'd be nice and tired by the time we got home. This has actually worked mostly. I've been busy with a lot of other things as well (car needed oil change, worked a 23 hour shift on tuesday, etc...) So I have been able to get in 2 weight lifts (and one more tonight) this week. I'm hoping that next week will give me even more time to do this as I kind of pick up things to do.

I also went to the Lake Forest High School pool. I was sorely disappointed to find out that the LFHS pool is closed until August 10th.... So that means I have to turn around and go back to Lake Bluff where I have no lane lines and no ceiling. <ugh>

I guess I'll be getting really good at my sprints and my breast stroke form then!
  18. 8/6 Workout

Did anyone else notice the new can of worms emoticon?

I think I am faster than I have ever been as a master. It must be all that geeky physics talk in the forums.

Warm up
    - 600 every 3rd 50 back
    - 4x100 kick 50 back, 50 free
    Transition
    - 4x100 on 1:15 (1:07,1:08, 1:08, 1:07)
    - 4x50 back on 1:00 (did them ez)
    - waited for other lanes to sync up for main set
    Main Set
    - 20x50 (5x :28, 2x :27*)
    -- 1 fast on :45
    -- 2 ez on 1:00
    - talked for a couple minutes
    - 3x150 on 1:55**
    Warm down
    - 250 ez back

* relaxed my neck, looked straight down and couldn't see where I was going. This felt more relaxed and might have sped up my turnover. My turnover was easier and the small change was certainly faster. I normally (as of sometime last year) look almost straight down, but this change was so down that I couldn't see the wall until I was on top of it. This is something I need to figure out.

** This was supposed to have been 6, but I didn't have enough time. There was lots of rest on these, so next time I do 150s, I will do 1:50 for a short set or 1:55 for a long set.
    I don't think I could have made more than 4 with 10+ seconds rest.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Friday, 8/6/10

by , August 6th, 2010 at 01:08 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Warm - up
    500 Swim free and back
    4 x 100/1:40 build
    400 IM Kick
    8 x 50/55 ds 3, 4 easy
    (did 1-4 free, 5-8 back)

Swim
    Swim the following twice:
    1 x 300 Free or back/20sr Build
    (round 1 back-5:00, round 2 free-4:47
    1 x 200 IM/10- 20sr Build
    (3:40, 3:35)

Warm down
    100 easy

Total: 2800 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. FAST Fri Aug 6th 2010

by , August 6th, 2010 at 11:59 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST Fri Aug 6th 2010

UT swim center is closed till October ;-(

you following [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=222553&postcount=50"]USS nationals/ Pan Pac Trials[/ame]?

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

LCM
    Whitney Coached
    6:00 TO 7:30
    Austin: GARRISON outdoor pool REALLY WARM
    swam with tyler, todd, chris, doug, ned, marcio, & kendal
    dove in at 6:04ish

WARM UP

MAIN SET

10 x 50 on 1:15
    odds easy
    evens fast