View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Monday night

by , December 1st, 2009 at 12:05 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    11/30/09

SCY, Solo

100 swim free
    300 reverse IM alt. kick/swim by 25
    100 kick free w/board
    300 IM drill
    100 pull free w/paddles and buoy
    300 pull alt. 75 back/75 free w/buoy only

swim 2 x 50 free on 1:00 perfect stroke. (went 37 on these)
    swim 200 free smooth on 4:00

swim 2 x 50 at 85-90% on 1:00
    (went 33, 34)
    swim 200 free smooth on 4:00

swim 2 x 50 back on 1:00 perfect stroke
    (went 41-42 on these)
    swim 200 back smooth on 4:00

swim 2 x 50 back at 85-90% on 1:00
    (went 36-37 on these)
    swim 200 back smooth on 4:00

swim 4 x 25 off blocks do one of each stroke
    (did back-17, breast-18, fly-16, free-15)

swim down 200 choice
    --
    Total: 2700 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Tuesday Dec 1st, 2009, best 25 SDK off side

by , December 1st, 2009 at 10:53 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tuesday Dec 1st, 2009

Psych Sheets & Time Line are up

Events with Time Line

Friday
    03. 03:20 PM Men’s 200 m Individual Medley
    08. 05:50 PM 800 m Freestyle Relay

Saturday
    12. 11:51 AM Men’s 50 m Butterfly
    13. 12:45 PM 400m Freestyle Relay
    15. 01:23 PM Men’s 100 m Backstroke
    20. 03:18 PM 200 m Medley Relay
    22. 04:11 PM Men’s 50 m Freestyle

Sunday
    26. 12:12 PM Men’s 100 m Butterfly
    29. 01:30 PM 400m Medley Relay
    37. 04:56 PM Men’s 100 m Individual Medley
    38. 05:45 PM 200 m Freestyle Relay

right lower back feels a bit better

WEIGHTS
    lat press 6 x 40 6 x 45 6 x 50 4 x 55
    lat pull 6 x 160 5 x 200 3 x 220
    bench 6 x 135 5 x 185 2 x 210

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY UT Swim Center
    6:30 - 8:00
    Whitney coached
    swam with Tyler, Todd, & Mike
    beside max chris, paul, ned, amy, & brandon
    dove in at 6:33

whitney said to swim around 1,500 & do a couple fast swims

WARM UP
    did 50's with 4 or more SDKs off each wall
    went around 750

changed into B70 full

100 easy

50 bk
    roll start
    whitney timed
    went 23.4

25 SDK fast
    roll start
    todd timed
    went 9.93
    which is my best 25 SDk off the side ever

100 easy

NEXT MEET:

Long Beach is this Friday, we leave Thursday afternoon

December 4th - 6th, 2009
    2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships at
    Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

2 Days till Long Beach

Updated December 1st, 2009 at 04:12 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  3. Last killer workout before the weekend meet

by , December 1st, 2009 at 07:34 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    So I pushed again today since Friday our pool is closed. Tomorrow and Thursday will be on the easier side.

1000 free as 200 swim/pull/swim/kick/swim
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 sprint
    5x100@1:45 Fly kick w/fins streamline held 1:30's
    15x100 Free w/paddles & bouy 1-5@1:35, 6-9@1:30, 10-12@1:25, 13-14@1:20, 15@1:15 I didn't make the 1:15 but everything else I made
    300 Free Easy

Total 3800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Monday Practice

by , November 30th, 2009 at 06:37 PM (My Passion)
    Today we did a quick stretch then donned our fins and did the following:

1X500 free up, 3-3-3 fly back
    20 chin ups on backstroke bar
    1X500 free up, back back
    1X500 free up breast with dolphin kick back
    1X500 free

We then took off fins and worked on flip turns with SDK's. These sound more fun than they were. We all started in lane 1 by the lane line. Then, with no momentum, we flipped and dolphin kicked underwater as far as we could go. I made it to lane 6 once, but it was usually lane 5 or 4. I think if I could have had a swimming start, that I could have gone further.

Cold, wet, weather (40 & 50 degrees) has moved into South Texas. Here, below 60 is cold. I know, I know, we are wimps. I have lived in other parts of the country and have shoveled my share of snow and scraped my share of ice, but I have lived here 26 years now and even I am now a cold weather wimp now

Happy Swimming
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. More Catching up

by , November 30th, 2009 at 05:10 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I did manage to get one workout in during the Thanksgiving weekend.

Friday, 11/27/09
    In Boise Idaho at the West YMCA.

SCY, Solo

200 free swim
    200 free kick
    200 free pull (no paddles) breathe 3/5 by 25
    Rest 30 sec.

200 back swim
    200 back kick, 8-10 SDK off each wall
    200 back pull, w/buoy only
    Rest 30 sec

2x around
    {
    kick 4 x 50 fly on back w/streamline w/15 sec. rest after each
    Rest 30 sec.
    swim 4 x 25 fly on :45
    Rest 30 sec.
    }

swim 6 x 100 on RI :20, alternating back and free. Focus on spl.

swim down 200 choice.

Total: 2600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Two More Squats Visually Demonstrated by L & J

by , November 30th, 2009 at 05:05 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Many people who know me well think I don't work.

This isn't entirely true.

The truth is that I rarely work.

However, when I do engage in these rare episodes of work, or perhaps work-like endeavor is more accurate, it is like doing an unbelievably difficult distance and sprint set for the mind that goes on, week after week, until the entirety of my soul is as empty and dessicated as the ears that feed the Children of the Corn.

Like all such exacting demands upon human performance, what I am expected to achieve, and what I can achieve, are often wildly disparate propositions.

But since my livelihood depends upon delivering what I am incapable of producing on my own, I have, in recent years, been forced to increasingly rely on PEDs to get the job done.

I am, for instance, now drinking my 14th cup of coffee of the day, and I must say, I am feeling a bit like an insect that has made the mistake of biting into a coffee bean 10,000 times his size. That is to say, I am feeling poisoned.

On top of this, I have the degrogification effects of one 100 mg tablet of Provigil, a drug FDA approved only for narcoleptics, shift workers, and those of us able to mimic the symptoms of these first two conditions well enough to convince our physicians to write us a prescription.

On top of my 14 cups of coffee, this Provigil tablet is working extremely well.

I have no doubt that tonight's swim practice, wherein the main set is 5 x 500 on 6:45 followed by 5 x 100 on 1:15, will barely dent my degree of alertness, unless, of course, my heart happens to explode, dispatching me forthwith to the Great Resting Reward, a dispatch which just might be the best unintended medicinal side effect of all time.

I kid. I am nothing but a raw ganglion these days, hoping for immortality!

Tonight, the raw ganglion shall return to its office/sleep chamber, which sleep hygienists have long suggested should not be combined, but sometimes one has no other option; watch the second half or final quarter of House depending on when I get back from practice; maybe have another training dinner exactly like last night's--i.e., three pork chops and a bowl of ice cream; then prepare for bed. I have Sonata, which has been deemed almost entirely ineffective; and two bottles of NyQuil, which personal experience has shown to be highly effective. I may find a little more of this and that to add to the soporific brew.

With these drowsy syrups of my own concoction, I shall -- with luck! -- slip into the sweet embrace of sister Morphine, perchance to dream of the squats Leslie has shown me and I have appendaged below, perchance to wake up again tomorrow morning, and brew some more coffee, and pop another Provigil, and begin once more the form of livelihood which will surely one day prove the death of me.

On this note, here are the right and wrong ways to do two more forms of squats:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Frkbya3zY"]YouTube- Overhead squatting and swing squatting with Leslie[/ame]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Monday, Nov. 30

by , November 30th, 2009 at 04:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

Main sets:

6 x 100 @ 2:00
    odds = backstroke kick
    evens = backstroke

6 x 75 @ 1:30
    done as 25 twirling 4 point shooter + 25 EZ DAB + 25 easy speed fly

50 EZ

3 x (50 back w/fins AFAP + 100 EZ)
    Went: 23.5, 23.5, 24
    I think 23.5 is my fastest ever in practice. I had really tight skinny streamlines on these. It was the only thing that felt good whole practice. I did arch my back on the turn on the third one -- I blame Q.

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ)
    AFAPs = 2 evil, 2 free, 2 SDK shooter

200 EZ

Total: 2950

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Still feel crappy in the water -- tired, sore, no feel and "heavy," like my body position is lower. I'm sure the weekend of pie, pizza, chard and driving didn't help. I'm glad I'm not swimming at Zones this weekend. Note to self: Never go on long driving trips before a taper meet.

I got this workout from ones I did in the 2 weeks before the Auburn SCY meet earlier in the year that I tapered for. Then, my 3 x 50 backs AFAP were 26, 26, 25.5, so I'm faster now. I likely will keep using those workouts for reference, though I may rest even more than I did then.

I made an appt with my ART doc for Wed. I haven't been in ages. I really should have gone in when my shoulder first started expressing its disapproval of my activities.

I read today that flax seed oil is not as beneficial for cholesterol as ground flax seeds. I usually put a squirt of the oil in my recovery smoothies, but I have seeds as well. I'm still using the hemp protein instead of whey protein. The taste is most easily disguised with intense berry flavor. Today's smoothie, which I also inflicted on my little kid, contained: hemp protein, flax seeds, glutamine, walnuts, banana, frozen blackberries & strawberries, yogurt, pomegranate juice and coconut water. Nummy! Jazz says juice is like candy, but a little can't hurt that much. Jazz also has friends that think hot yoga is for "dirty hippies" ...

I am supposed to be in three different places at the same time tonight. I think my littlest will be missing swim practice b/c my son has his National Honor Society induction tonight. I don't think parents are supposed to miss that. lol If only it was as easy to get into college as it was to get into NHS!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. The "I blame Fort" practice

by , November 30th, 2009 at 01:48 PM (Random Nonsense)
    It has been mentioned I need to work on my kick. Saturday, I was flipping my niece, and strained my shoulder.

Warmup
    - 400 swim
    - 400 kick with fins (goal: don't let Lazy Wife pass, accomplished)
    - 400 back
    Transition
    - 8x25 kick (flutter) with fins on 40
    - 8x50 kick (even flutter, odd back) with fins on 45
    Main
    - 3x100 kick (flutter) with fins on 1:30 strong
    - 4x75 kick (fly) with fins on 1:15 ez
    - 5x50 kick (back) with fins on 45
    - 6x25 kick no fins on 30 (held 21-25s)
    Cool down
    - 200 back

Squats will be fun tonight.

This is the normal team workout, but I kicked everything. Lazy Wife got to pick the intervals today, so they are based on what she was doing in the set, not what I was doing.

My shoulder has a dull ache, so I think I either strained a muscle or bruised a muscle. It is a different pain than when I have hurt my shoulder swimming or lifting, so I think it will be fine in a couple days. I swam Sunday, and I probably should have just kicked.

Niece flipping
    Materials:
    - 1 5yo niece
    - 1 full sized air matress
    - 2 parents in the other room
    - 1 qbrain
    Procedure:
    - qbrain stands at one end of the mattress
    - niece lays on mattress feet toward qbrain
    - qbrain then flings, open palms up, niece's ankles to about 5.5-6' in the air
    Duration:
    - flips continued until concern's of seeing niece's dinner a second time became probable
    Results:
    - niece flips sides, landing in the middle of the mattress (the height is necessary, otherwise niece will flip into a wall)
    - Lazy Wife admonishes qbrain to not give niece whip lash
    - niece giggles herself silly
    Conclusion:
    - niece mother "I am glad I wasn't in there, I would have had a heart attack"
    - qbrain's brother "Little kids are durable"
    - niece "DO IT AGAIN"
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Monday Nov 30th, 2009

by , November 30th, 2009 at 10:09 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Monday Nov 30th, 2009

right lower back hurts a little

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY UT Swim Center
    5:30 - 6:30
    Whitney coached
    swam with Tyler, Todd, & Mike
    beside nate, amy, chris, & doug
    dove in at 5:35

500 easy

8 x 25

25 fr fast
    roll start
    went 9.78

200 easy

50 bk
    whitney timed
    went 23.8

NEXT MEET:

Long Beach is this Friday, we leave Thursday afternoon

December 4th - 6th, 2009
    Long Beach

Psych Sheets

Results

3 Days till Long Beach

Entered

Friday
    3. Menís 200 m Individual Medley
    8. 800 m Freestyle Relay

Saturday
    12. Menís 50 m Butterfly
    13. 400m Freestyle Relay
    15. Menís 100 m Backstroke
    20. 200 m Medley Relay
    22. Menís 50 m Freestyle

Sunday
    26. Menís 100 m Butterfly
    29. 400m Medley Relay
    37. Menís 100 m Individual Medley
    38. 200 m Freestyle Relay
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Monday November 30, 2009

Fortunately, even though I haven't been blogging I have been swimming. Unfortunately, I pulled a lower back muscle in that darn hot yoga class and am still having trouble.

This morning I did:

400 free
    200 kick

6 x 50 on :55 build (odds free even stroke - but I did free since my back wasn't up to stroke or at least strokes I would do)

3 x (200 free at 3:30, 100 free @ 2:00) It was all choice but it had to be the same. Meaning if you went IM on the first 200 and fly on the 100 you did that all 3 rounds. You also got to pick descend the 200s or 100s.

Coach had me swim the 200s easy and the 100s were build the 50, r:15, 25 fast, r:15, 25 fast on the 2:00. My sprint prowess has yet to return. I am hoping and praying that come Friday I will be able to sprint though I'm not counting on it.

I leave Thursday night for Long Beach. There's way too much to do before then. Bags to pack, work to do, plans to leave, errands to run, etc.

I am a wee nervous for my flight since my back bothers me most when sitting. In my daily life this isn't much of a problem since I rarely sit but forced into a small seat for 4+ hours is probably not ideal. I'm brining Ben Gay patches, Advil and planning on moving as much as I can. My seatmates will love me

Anyway ...

100 Free is Friday. I have no clue what to expect. I feel like all of muscles are shutting down right now so I have no expectations. My first swim in a meet is usually not stellar so we shall see.

50 free and 50 fly are Saturday. Again with not feeling like I can sprint I have no expectations for these two either. I don't think a 50 of fly will kill my back ... hopefully it won't tighten it up too much either though.

100 fly/200 free/100 IM are Sunday. Unless miracles occur in the next 6 days I'm not swimming the 100 fly. Fly is causing my back to tighten up. Right now I feel like the 200 free is going to be my strongest event. That's where my training has been and where my stroke is right now. I have no turn over right now and Lord knows I can't hold on for anything longer than a 200. 200 is frankly pushing it (by about a 125 yards).

The 100 IM is up for grabs. I'll see how I feel and what the time line is. I might just be warm and dry enough to not care. I hate the event and suck at it so it's not a loss.

I read Dara Torres' book this weekend. It was a very easy read. I enjoyed it. I am motivated by it. There are some things she talks about in her swims that I know I am guilty of and have renewed enery and desire to focus on. Like Fort, I want her dryland DVD.

Enough rambling for one day ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Free/Back day

by , November 30th, 2009 at 08:35 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Since I have a meet this coming weekend I won't be doing any long fly sets this week so I chose to work backstroke some.

500 Free
    5x100@1:40 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 moderate
    5x100@1:30 Back w/paddles & fins held 1:20's here
    6x200 odds free @3:00 evens back @3:30 w/paddles & bouy went 2:51, 2:50, 2:46 on the free and 3:15's on the backs
    300 Free EZ

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Yoga & Stretching Pics, Sunday, Nov. 29

by , November 29th, 2009 at 09:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Did absolutely nothing today except sleep in and drive 6+ hours home. I have no idea why driving and riding in a car should be exhausting, but it is. No time for a swim tonight. Had to help my littlest do her homework that we had forgotten about. I will force myself to do my RC exercises as my shoulder is still being stubborn. Fortunately, I will not be doing any 220 lb HS hi rows anytime soon.

Anyhoo, Jim has taught me how to attach photos to my blog. A mighty accomplishment for those as techologically challenged as myself. Here are the shots my 9 year took with my iphone when we were doing yoga together on Saturday am. Looks like only 4 of the 7 are showing up in the blog. They are: splits, backbend crawling down wall, standing boat and head to shins. I attached the other ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really hope I feel better in the water this week. And I really hope I don't catch my youngest's nasty cold.

Updated November 29th, 2009 at 09:52 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0307.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	6318   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	6319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0296.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	6320  
  13. sunday

by , November 29th, 2009 at 08:34 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Practice this morning at Noblesville H.S.

*1,000 Freestyle swim (I got there 15 min early)
    *4 X 225 (200 Free/rest 15 sec. then 25 sprint stroke) on 4:00
    *4 X 250 (100 free on 1:40/75 Stroke other than free on 1:30/ 50 Free on :50/25 Gut Buster) 4:30 interval.
    *100 Flutter Kick with Board
    *100 Flutter kick on back
    *100 dolphin kick on back (All with NO Fins. I,m very slow kicking with no fins butI think this is what I need to do to get stronger)
    *100 ez backstroke cool-down
    3,300 scy

*I intended to run today but my partner crapped out, I'm glad. I just felt tired to the bone.

*This week-end is the Chicago leg of the Tyr Grand Prix Series. I'm all signed up but I don't have a room yet. I'm a bit scared to Priceline a room after my Louisville fiasco. I guess I'll bite the bullet Thurs. nite and do it.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Short weights session

by , November 29th, 2009 at 08:06 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    I always seem to get to the gym close to closing time, so had to quickly get in the workout:

5 minute run

Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 12, 75 x 10, 80 x 8

Lat pull-down: 90 x 5, 110 x 12, 120 x 10, 130 x 8

Alt. hammer curls: 2 sets of 15 x 12

Tricep pull-downs: 2 sets of 40 x 12

2 sets of 25 crunches with 10 lb. medicine ball

I am now hoping to enter into more of a fast-twitch type training regimen. In the next 9 weeks, hope to spend more time in the weight room. Also, hope to modify my swim workouts and gear it more towards sprinting.

I was thinking more about the kicking with fins issue. I'm wondering if I will go faster with shorter fins. May give it a shot this week.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Sunday Nov 29th, 2009

by , November 29th, 2009 at 05:53 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sunday Nov 29th, 2009

right lower back hurts a little

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY UT Swim Center
    noon - 1:15
    Bridgette coached
    swam with Larry & Jon
    arrived at 12:40

100 easy

20 x 50 on various easy intervals

weights world gym
    lat press
    lat pull
    bench press

NEXT MEET:

Long Beach is Next Friday, we leave Thursday afternoon

December 4th - 6th, 2009
    Long Beach

4 Days till Long Beach

Entered

Friday
    8. 800 m Freestyle Relay

Saturday
    12. Menís 50 m Butterfly
    13. 400m Freestyle Relay
    15. Menís 100 m Backstroke
    20. 200 m Medley Relay
    22. Menís 50 m Freestyle

Sunday
    26. Menís 100 m Butterfly
    29. 400m Medley Relay
    37. Menís 100 m Individual Medley
    38. 200 m Freestyle Relay
  16. Last weekend before back to work

by , November 29th, 2009 at 05:40 PM (My Passion)
    OK, OK, I was a bad girl and did not workout Thursday and Friday like I had planned, but I did get up early on.......

Saturday, I set my alarm for 5:30 (still on vacation from work, mind you), and was in the pool by 6:00 - here is the workout -

300 free warm-up
    75 X 4 free -kick/stroke drill
    75 X 6 Free/Back drill
    1 X 50 Free/Back drill
    10 X 50 Free on 45
    9 X 50 descending 2 seconds every 50 (one breast, the rest free)
    50 - free cool down

Coffee with team mates and coach, then Christmas decorating with Hubby rest of the day.

Then, like a good little athlete, I set my alarm for 6:30 this morning. Met the running buddies at 7:00 and did what started out to be a 4 mile run. At 2 miles, when I was ready to turn around, one of them talked me into running 5 - which would be turning around in another 1/2 mile. Like a dummy, I said yes. Then, when we got to the extra 1/2 mile point, another of them talked me into walking a little further until we met up with his wife, who had started out earlier and should be on her way back real soon. But after we started walking, he said 'why aren't we running', I started running with them again and then accused them both of psychological warfare . At the 3 mile mark, we found the long lost wife and I ran back with her. 6 miles total today, on a day I was hoping it would rain and I could get out of it . I have a bike/run duathalon in two weeks, so maybe this was good for me after all.

I am very much looking forward to my swim tomorrow morning, but not as much the getting up at 4:30 to do it . Happy Swimming
  17. Leslie's Buttocks vs. Mine, plus Exercising on Dryland

by , November 29th, 2009 at 12:07 AM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    There is a school of thought in narrative tales that the easiest and arguably best way to present these is to start at the beginning and proceed, step by chronological step, to the end. Suspense in this standard form is built in a fairly straightforward manner: the reader, enraptured by event A, naturally begins to wonder, What oh what happens next? What is event B? Then C? And so forth?

Such stories often begin like this:

Once upon a time in Western Pennsylvania...

or

In the Pleistocene era, a patch of primordial ooze with the original signature genomic code of the Thornton family...

or

God so loved the world that he gave his only misbegotten son Jim to...

In more recent times, perhaps because of earth's burgeoning population of story tellers, each trying to differentiate himself or herself from the other person's self, a new model has emerged, still a bit less common, but alas itself fast slouching towards cliche.

In this model, pioneering narrators of the likes of Faulkner, Proust, Thornton, Joyce, Golgadkin, and so forth, purposely choose to begin their tales at the end, revealing the "denouement" or the "killer's identity" or the "money shot" or whatever else it might be that in earlier times would not be answered till the very last pages of the book or footage of film.

Suspense here stems not from the reader's curiosity about what will happen, for we already know the final outcome. Instead, suspense depends on a growing rhetorically manipulated curiosity on the reader's part about how and why this ending has come to be.

To reiterate: the author or auteur of such works, or in the case of a vlogger who combines the written word with the filmic art, the author-auteur, starts at the end, cuts back to the beginning, then leisurely fills in the intervening time.

It is this secondary model I have chosen to embrace.

Over this most Thanksgiving-worthy of Thanksgiving seasons, our Amish Mud hole-dappled region of the country was visited by none other than Leslie the Fortress Livingston, the single most beloved national champion that the USMS community has ever had the good fortune to grip to our collectively grateful bosom.

Leslie, as some of you might know, is a strong advocate of weight lifting and the whole shooting match of other painful exercises conducted on dry land, from Bosu Balling to virtually anything you can imagine doing on a rack.

During our precious several days with Leslie, she swam with our Sewickley SeaDragons, Geriatric Division, on Friday; then today, Saturday, after I had already done 68,000 lb. of Nautilus lifting (inspired by Leslie to give it a try), Leslie arrived fresh from her Seroquel-induced (off-label) beauty sleep at 2:05 p.m. sharp in the Y lobby, and the two of us proceeded back to the weight room. Here she showed me the elementary ropes of the non-machine strength training world.

During the course of this, and I will be presenting many of her 1000s of demonstrated exercises over the coming days, weeks, months, years, and seeming centuries (in fact, no need to read Leslie's blog anymore--this vlog here, much more so than her own, has now become the one-stop official site for all things visually and auditorially Leslie), we also conducted the 25 cent piece "Quarter Test."

By good fortune, Senor Haboush, the Spanish teacher at the local high school, was pumping iron at the Y, and he agreed to fire the quarter first at Leslie's buttocks and then at mine to see which set of glutei was firmer and therefore more bouncy to the quarter.

The first of today's films features this long-awaited and much ballyhooed Quarter Buttocks test. In some ways, one could argue the test is really the end of the whole narrative. For the results here proved so unexpected, so paradoxical even, that the reader will--I am sure of it!--be seduced into unbearable, dumbfounding curiosity.

Not about the "what happened?"--for it is indisputable that the quarter bounced much, much higher off my muscular buttocks than Leslie's firm but still somewhat squishy ones. Rather the dumbfounding stems from a seemingly unanswerable question: "How can this be?" After all, Leslie is obviously an amazing specimen of the weight lifting arts, and I am but a shlub.

How oh how? Why oh why?

I can't stand it! Help me see the reasons, Jim! I beg you!

In time, my friends. Answers shall come your way in time.

But first, the Quarters test...

This first short film will be followed, in turn, by today's inaugural set of exercises Leslie has taught me. (Sadly for her, once I master just these two, my buttocksial advantage is sure to swell even further.)

Please enjoy, especially now that the subtextual content is clear, and you don't need to think deeply or in an unguided way.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp59AtsOeM0"]YouTube- The Quarter Buttocks Test[/ame]

Summary: Leslie loses convincingly to Jim in Quarters Buttocks Test and in a fit of pique refuses to continue with the moobs vs. boobs Coin Toss Test.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-TdHopNGuY"]YouTube- Getting Dry with Leslie Part 1: Shrug Dips and X Cross Squat[/ame]

Summary: Leslie teaches Jim how to do dips safely by shrugging girlishly, then takes him into an area he has never ventured before to teach him the X-cross squat, AKA, Hot Crossed Buns.

Updated November 29th, 2009 at 12:14 AM by jim thornton

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Afternoon w/Jimby, Sat., Nov. 28

by , November 29th, 2009 at 12:00 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Yoga:

I did about 25-30 minutes of yoga and stretching today with my littlest one. Really worked over the back. I have some photos from this session, but I can't seem to upload them from this computer ...

PM: Core & Swim:

I drove to the Sewickley Y today to give Jimby tips on core exercises since he's decided I'm right. The poor man was literally in the dark without a clue! I tried to demo some of my favs and then he would attempt them (or some of them). He had his flip video camera with him, so this will no doubt end up on youtube. He was quite anxious to bounce quarters, but he seemed to think this had to be done from a prone rather than standing position? His gym was missing a couple key pieces of equipment (like a back extension bench, med balls and a bosu), but we did quite a few things including:

hanging reverse crunches & straight leg raises
    squat X press
    squat swing w/plate
    overhead squat
    deadlift
    reverse decline crunches & knee ins
    russian twists on incline bench
    superman banana
    dead bugs
    box jumps

I can't remember what else. I know I left out lunges, but Jim's back and legs will no doubt be grateful. Then we walked to the pool, Jimby all asweat, to do the following workout, which I stole and modified long ago from JMiller's Fun & Fast workout thread. It seemed like a good taper workout for me, and I think Jim liked having easier intervals and being able to focus on stroke technique and the like.

Swim SCY @ Sewickley:

Warm up:

600 variety

10 x 25 shooters
    (Jim did flutter kick)

Main set:

4 x 75 free @ 1:30
    1 x (25 AFAP free + 25 EZ)
    4 x 75 evil @ 1:30
    2 x (25 AFAP free/evil + 25 EZ)
    4 x 75 back @ 1:30
    3 x (25 AFAP back + 25 EZ)
    4 x 75 fly drill @ 1:30
    2 x (25 AFAP fly + 25 EZ)
    4 x 75 SDK on back @ 1:15
    1 x (25 AFAP free +25 EZ)

50 EZ

steamroom

Total: 2850

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I felt slightly better in the water today. I just cruised all the 75s, working on streamlines and underwater work. I'm hoping I didn't do too much in the gym to fatigue the legs. I'm sure I'll be fatigued tomorrow anyway, as I went straight from the pool to drinks with one set of friends and dinner with another set of friends. Chard overdose.

I have a really long drive ahead of me tomorrow, I know. I might try to hit the gym for a very easy swim if I get home in town. But that will completely depend on traffic.

NE CHamps:

The psych sheets for NE Champs are up at: http://www.greatbaymasters.org/09Psych.htm

I should have plenty of rest. My events start at:

Sat:

11:29: 100 IM
    3:35: 50 back
    4:59: 50 free

Sun:

11:08: 50 fly
    12:45: 100 back
    2:33: 50/100 evil
    3:32: 50/100 free

I'm a little taken back by how much time I have between the 100 IM and 50 back on Saturday. I'm not sure I've ever had that much rest between events at a meet. I'll obviously have to get in and loosen up inbetween, but I'm not exactly sure how much and when. However, the last time I sat around for 2.5 hours was before my 31.7 in the 50 back SCM last year, so maybe that bodes well. I was somewhat surprised to be seeded first in the 50/100 back. I think there must be some sandbagging going on. But at least I have a good lane. Unlike my 50 free!

Updated November 29th, 2009 at 12:22 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  19. friday and saturday's summary

by , November 28th, 2009 at 09:35 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Friday I was up by 6:00 am in a chard-induced fogginess. (black friday) I hopped in my car and journeyed over to HSE High School (the only pool known to be open in Hamilton County and where NASTI'S were holding practice.) I arrived early only to be disappointed by a very late lifeguard who couldn't get the door open. We ended up having 35 minutes of swimming time. Here's what I did:
    *1,800 straight swim, all free and steady
    *10 X 50 on :50
    I will do better tomorrow.
    I spent the rest of the day prepping for our family Thanksgiving Dinner. I made 2 seperate meals! (vegan and regular) Girls arrived around 1:30 to help. My son and a couple vegan buddies came around 4:00. The food was awesome! We all had fun just laughing and goofing around the hacienda. I love Thanksgiving!
    After the festivities my youngest daughter and I raided the closets and put 10 outfits together for her senior picture photo-shoot tomorrow. (3.75 hours complete with make-up/hair) We were having a hard time making choices so we took lots and lots of stuff!
    Friday:
    Hopped out of bed at 6:18! I needed to swim early so I could run w/Sarah and get ready for Studio K! I found a cool workout group at the Monon Center (a few ISF swimmers and other random swimmers) who usually go alot further than Nasti practice. I decided to swim with them today. Here's the workout although it's a bit vague to me:
    *10 X 50 Free on 1:00
    *300 Free Swim
    *6 X 100 Free on 1;45
    *6 x 50 Free on :55
    *300 Swim (alt kick/pull/swim)
    *6 X 100 Freestyle Swim on 1;40
    * 6 X 50 Freestyle on :50
    *300 IM roll swim
    3,200 scy (The others kept going. I had to go meet Sarah and run)
    I hopped into my running stuff, pulled a cap on my wet locks and took off running w/Sarah. We only ran 22 minutes but it was a lovely 22 minutes.
    Jumped into the shower (with the dog) and finished in record time to head down to Studio K in Beech Grove for the photo shoot. This was a blast! She had 10 outfit changes. It was a model's portfolio type shoot. Great music on the ipod, lots of snacks, and a very cool antimated photographer and assistant who pumped Sarah's ego and made her feel like a princess. They even gave her flowers when she was done!
    After the photo's we found a burger joint with bottomless orders of fries and pigged out!
    A beautiful day!

Updated November 28th, 2009 at 10:23 PM by Bobinator (another pic I hope)

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1097.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	6317  
  20. Saturday Nov 28th, 2009

by , November 28th, 2009 at 03:30 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Saturday Nov 28th, 2009

NEXT MEET:

Long Beach is Next Friday, we leave Thursday afternoon

December 4th - 6th, 2009
    Long Beach

5 Days till Long Beach

Entered

Friday
    8. 800 m Freestyle Relay