View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Ron Johnson Memorial Invitational and my brother

by , November 23rd, 2009 at 12:44 PM (My non-workout blog and random thoughts)
    I swam at the Ron Johnson Invitational meet this weekend and achieved one of my goals for this year. I'm proud to report that my brother also achieved one of his goals at another meet held in Washington during this weekend.

First, if you have never been to the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in November, it is really a great time of year to visit Tempe. The weather is much cooler - in the 70's - as opposed to 100 - 120f in the summer. The pool is very fast - deep, great non-slip surfaces on the bulkhead, waveless gutters and lane lines. They have a new digital scoreboard that is easy to read and makes the venue more professional. The bulkhead splits the long course pool into two parts and there were plenty of lanes for warm up and cool down. Of course, the sunny skies and coolish temperatures makes a great environment for swimming fast.

The meet is superbly run. My hat is off to Katy James - the meet director. The officials were real professionals who impressed me with their knowledge of the rules as well as their knowledge of swimming technique. All the timers were volunteers and I as well as my fellow masters swimmers thanked them for volunteering. I also had a chance to thank the starter and meet referee before leaving the meet. I highly recommend this meet to any swimmer.

It was really good to see my fellow competitors and friends- Tall Paul and Laura Smith, Barry Roth, Bob DiTolla, Gail Roper, Robert Wilson, Patty Buffett and the Queen. I watched Jeff Commings and Dave Rollins smoke the water with some amazingly fast swims. I didn't get a chance to meet Mike Mann, but perhaps I will if he goes to Long Beach. I did see him swim and man (pun intended), is he fast!

My goals for this year were to reset some backstroke SCM and LCM World Records. I didn't do so well at LCM, but I was able to reset the 50 meter backstroke record in the 55-59 age group - 29.07. In a previous post, I had dedicated this swim to the memory of Ron Johnson. He was a great swimmer and masters coach. And I think that the extra motivation help me. After the race was over, I meditated for a few moments and thought about Ron and hoped that he was racing in that big pool above us.

On a more earthly level, I feel pretty good about this record because the previous record holder was encased in a B70 - much like I was. I missed the 200 record by 0.4 second, but was feeling rather weird before the race - something was missing. Perhaps at Long Beach? I was humbled in the 50 back by a wonderful swimmer - Sheri Hart of Denver. She won the heat in a time of 28.86 - not bad for a 38 year old. We had a chance to compare notes afterwards and like most masters swimmers - just a really nice person.

While I was basking in the warmth of Tempe, my brother, Lincoln, was at a SCM swim meet in Washington. I got an email from a dear friend (and college team mate) telling me that the local paper had announced that he was coming up to the meet to break the 50-54 400 IM record. And sure enough, he did! But he was not very happy with his swim. In an email, he said he was on pace 3:44 at the 300, but died badly - finishing in 1:11 for the 100 free and with a final time of 4:55 (beating the old record by 2 seconds). As for myself, I would love to swim that fast. I'm really proud of my brother for his accomplishments - even though he wishes that he had a stronger freestyle leg.

For a short time (as records will be broken in the near future), I am honored to be in the record books with my younger and much faster brother.

It's off to Long Beach in two weeks!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Monday Nov 23rd, 2009

by , November 23rd, 2009 at 11:22 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Monday Nov 23rd, 2009

Thanks to everyone who wrote me about my 100 IM on Saturday.

The [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=198158&postcount=1303"]SFF[/ame] Tip of the Day is: [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=198391&postcount=1305"]What do you need to do to SDK faster, further, & more efficiently? [/ame]

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

FOUR OR MORE SDKs off EVERY wall

SCY
    5:30 - 6:40
    whitney coached
    dove in around 5:35
    swam with Mike, Tyler, Todd, Ned, Nate & Amy
    TSC diving well SCY

WORE brief

Warm Up
    300 fr
    100 k
    200 fr
    100 k
    100 fr
    100 k

MAIN SET
    STATIONS

1) 4 x 50 k fast on 1:15
    went 33, 37, 37, 29

2) 4 x 50 k fast on 1:15
    went 33, 37, 37, 29

3) assigned 4 rounds of
    100's done 75 fr 25 fast stroke
    did 4 rounds of 25 fr, 50 skip, 25 fast stroke

4) assigned 5:00 pull go as far as you can
    did 50 fr swim easy speed, held 29's & 30's, 50 skip

5) assigned: 4 x 50 k fast on 1:15
    did: 4 x (25 SDK fast, 25 fr easy)

assigned: 5 x 100 ON 1:45
    did: 5 ROUNDS OF
    25 fast FROM A DIVE, skip 50, 25 sdk FAST

50 easy

MEETS:

December 4th - 6th, 2009
    2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships at
    Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

10 Days till Long Beach

Updated November 23rd, 2009 at 08:54 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Strengthing the week side

by , November 23rd, 2009 at 07:28 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    What a workout. Felt fairly strong and worked on trying to strengthen the right shoulder.

10x100@2:00 Free 1/2pull 1/2kick
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 FAST
    10x50@:55 Fly w/fins held 45's
    200 Fly kick alt 25 right side, 25 left side, 50 on back
    3x100@1:30 Free kick w/fins held 1:20's
    5x100@1:40 Free paddle on weak hand, fin on opposite foot from hand to stengthen right arm
    5x200@3:00 Free w/paddles & bouy first 3 bilateral breath (to help with strengthening weak side) all descending went 2:55, 2:47, 2:46, 2:41, 2:36
    200 Free EASY

Total 4200 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Sunday, Nov. 22

by , November 22nd, 2009 at 10:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hot Yoga:

Decided I didn't feel like swimming today, so went to hot yoga in the afternoon instead. My muscles were sore, so I thought a stretch might feel good. The class was packed. We had a chirpy teacher who read us a poem between the standing and seated poses. Hmm ... not exactly for me. lol. Although Geek thinks yoga is a "cult," I'm still undecided on whether I really like it or not. I think it helps my overall health and flexibility; I'm not sure if it helps my swimming much if any. I'd also like it more if it was 60 instead of 90 minutes. But I'll continue to persist for awhile, as I think I've only done 11 or so classes.

Epiphany Re: Whey Protein:

I was chatting with my brother yesterday and had a sort of epiphany about whey protein, which I tend to mix into my smoothies quite often. He was having some negative side effects from using it (bloating and other blech things). The same thing has been happening to me for months, and I didn't really link it in my mind to the whey protein. But after some internet research, I think it's likely the culprit. So, I'm ditching it, even though I know there are many benefits to it. Instead, after researching soy protein and hemp protein, my bro and I decided we'd try hemp protein.

Here's some info, if you're interested:

http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/hemp/seedprot.htm

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...205&topic=8743

We're going to try this brand:

http://www.manitobaharvest.com/carts...iew.asp?key=45

The main downside, I think, is the taste. I tried some in a smoothie today after yoga, and I could never have a full serving of the stuff. Too nasty! But in a smaller dose, it was fine mixed with fruit etc. But not nearly as tasty as whey protein.

I checked the Pure Sport I've been using. That too has whey in it. But at least it has whey isolate, which is supposed to be superior to whey concentrate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Planning on a solo swim tomorrow ... Will probably do one of the sprint workouts I've stolen and stockpiled on FB.

Updated November 23rd, 2009 at 01:37 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  5. recovery Sunday

I did an easy swim at team workout today (scm). Here is what I did:

600 warmup

8 x 50 IM pieces @ 1:00

200, 250, 300, 350, 400 on easy intervals, combining free and kick and back

Practice was crowded today--we had 7 in a scm lane. I took it easy and was able to find some large and stable gaps to swim in on the longer pieces.

Then there was plenty more to the workout, but I got out early. I mostly just wanted to wiggle around in the water a bit today to loosen up after yesterday's meet, and I had accomplished that.

Next I went to the video analysis of the taping session I had done yesterday. Most of Steve Munatone's suggestions involved minimizing the profile my body was making as it traveled through the water. Among other things, I need to
    • bend my knees less on my FR and BK kicking
    • hold my hands together longer after my arm entry in FL
    • make my armstrokes on both FL and FR less wide
    • keep my head more aligned with my spine on FR and BK
    • make my BR kick narrower and shallower
    • make my BR armstroke less wide
    There's definately a theme here. I'm looking forward to some serious technique focused work over the winter. I'll be getting my own CD of my stroke synchronized with a graph of the velocity at each point, and I'll look forward to reviewing it.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Sunday

by , November 22nd, 2009 at 06:17 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I just couldn't fall asleep last night. My head was super clogged up. My throat would tickle or spasm, I'd cough, sneeze, then I would blow my nose out. It was a non-stop 8 hour pattern. I wasn't even sleepy when I finally rousted out of bed at 7:30.
    I figured I might as well go to practice. I don't feel terribly tired/sick, just a head/sinus complaint and the swimming seems to loosen it up.
    We had an easy practice and I felt fine.
    I will probably do nothing tomorrow. The combination of feeling like this and going non-stop teaching 12 classes tomorrow (318 kids total) all day will most likely crash me down after school.
    Today:
    *500 Free warm-up swim
    *900 Free factorial (not sure of intervals)
    *100 ez backstroke
    *Super 500 alternating Backstroke on 25's
    *ez 100 backstroke
    *10 X 50 free on Ascending interval plan starting at :40. (2 sets of 5)
    *ez 100 IM cooldown
    2,700 scy
    hoping for improvement tomorrow!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Sunday Nov 22nd, 2009, SCM MEET DAY 2

by , November 22nd, 2009 at 03:43 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sunday Nov 22nd, 2009
    SCM MEET DAY 2

University of the Incarnate Word (SCM) Masters Meet

4301 broadway san antonio texas

with Longhorn masters swimmers
    birthday boy jon smiley, tyler, marcio, kristine, max, larry, fred lemaistre, Mike Varozza, & Todd

here was my plan going into the meet
    Sunday, November 22, 2009
    4 x 50 fr relay
    26 200 Freestyle 2:06.99 (go for a 50 fr split)
    30 50 Backstroke 27.99
    34 100 Freestyle 54.99 (SKIP)
    36 50 Butterfly 26.99
    4 x 100 fr relay
    4 x 200 fr relay lead off 200, goal is to split it well

arrived at 8:00 am

felt good in warm up

wore a brand new Blue Seventy Nero Comp

Men's 200-239 Short Course Meters 4 x 50 Freestyle Relay record was 1:40.71
    we Needed to ave 25.17

4 x 50 fr relay
    25.76 Fred Lemaistre 55
    25.83 Jon Smiley 49
    24.94 Max Stinchcombe 52
    23.64 Ande Rasmussen 46 jammed turn
    went 1:40.17

200 free but went for a
    50 fr split which was
    jammed my turn

50 BK
    went 27.59
    mike V was 27.89, tyler was 28.3ish so he got razzed
    again

100 Fr skipped to rest up for my fly & relay

50 FL
    went 26.3
    bad turn, didn't lock my streamline on the pushoff after the turn

Mens 200 - 239 400 Freestyle Relay record was 3:47.59
    Needed to ave 56.86
    [B]4 x 100 free relay[/B
    27.24 56.29 Fred LeMaistre
    27.18 57.89 jon smiley
    26.83 56.29 Max stinchcombe
    25.89 54.98 Ande Rasmussen
    went 3:45.45

kudos to my longhorn masters team masters who broke the 4 x 100 fr relay record for men 120 - 159
    26.15 53.61 marcio
    25.95 54.65 todd
    25.12 52.64 tyler
    23.97 50.97 mike V
    3:31.87

we were signed up to swim the 4 x 200free relay but opted to call it a day. I don't think we could have broken the record & it would have made us really tired

I come out of this meet thrilled to get another individual WR, plus we broke 3 National relay records for men 200 - 239.

I felt tired today, not as snappy as on Saturday. I'm second guessing myself, thinking I should have skipped my 50 fr split in the 200 free & just rested up for the 50 bk or the 50 fly. Today I had trouble with turns.
    Time to rest.

Next MEET
    December 4th - 6th, 2009
    Long Beach

12 Days till Long Beach

Updated November 23rd, 2009 at 11:06 AM by ande

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  8. When things don't go as planned

Saturday was bound to be a hectic day of swimming, with a video clinic in the morning and a meet in the afternoon. It turned into an object lesson in dealing with the unexpected. Hereís how it went:

7 am: Wake up, check email to make sure I havenít received any further emails about the videotaping session (my curtain call is at 11). None on that front, but there is an email from the meet director informing me that I am now entered into different events than the ones I thought I was swimming. AARGH! 100 FLY? Iíve done hardly any fly during the past two weeks! This is not how I wanted my day to start!

(A little background: I had originally entered this meet as part of my grand swim-every-event plan. I planned to knock off a few of my least favorite swims (100FR/100FL) at this short, sprint-only meet. Once the first meet of my season got cancelled and swimming every event was no longer viable, I emailed this meetís director and asked if I could change my events to 50FR/100BK/100BR. He emailed me back that he had changed them, and I happily focused my training on these. So far, so good. But when the meet crew were proofing heat sheets, they discovered that I was entered in different events from the ones on my entry form, and, thinking that was an error, changed me back to my original events. An honest mistake, generated by a desire to get things right.)

The meet director suggests I show up early to try to late-enter my preferred events, which he says I may be able to swim if there are empty lanes in the first heats. Looking at the online heat sheets, there are empty lanes for 2 of my 3 events. I decide to get to the meet as early as possible, and try to accept the notion that I wonít know exactly what Iím swimming until I show up. Whatever I end up swimming, I want to focus on swimming the best races that I can with the preparation and fitness that I bring to them on this particular day.

10 am: After breakfast and stretching, I put on a suit and head over to the John Jay College pool for the swimmetrics filming with Steve Munatones. Iíve been advised to show up early to warm up before the filming, since it involves swimming at maximum effort. The Red Tide team is still working out, but they make room for me and another filmee to warm up as Steve is setting up his equipment. I do my regular 1000 warmup, then 6 build 50s and 4 x 25 sprint/25 easy. Then I film 9 fast 20s, doing different strokes, some pull only, some kick only, as Steve directs the whole process. Heís very nice and his excitement about swimming and technique and technology is contagious. Iíll get a fuller analysis on the next day, along with a CD and suggestions for improvements. The taping runs a little late, but I still have time to warmdown and head home before the meet.

12 noon: I eat lunch, repack my swim bag, put on my meet suit, and hop in a taxi. Warm-ups are at 2; I get there at 1:30 and find the meet director (who immediately guesses who I must be). Itís the first time Iíve met him, and heís extremely nice, and apologetic about the event mix-ups. We come up with a plan to put me into the first heats of the 50 FR and 100 BK; the 100 BR is full, but I can swim 50 BK instead. He tells me to check in with him during warmups to make sure of things.

2 pm: Teammates and other swimmers start trickling in. One nice surprise when I looked at the heat sheets this morning was how many teammates were coming to the meet. There are about 20 of us, plus our coach. He puts me on a 200 medley relay with an old friend I havenít swum relays with for years, so thatís happy-making. I do the first part of my warmup (1000 plus about 400m worth of build 50s and pieces of sprints) and go look for the met director to check on my events. It turns out theyíre reseeding the 100 Breast, so Iíll get to swim that after all. It takes about 10 minutes to make sure Iím entered into the 3 events I want to swim, and to get my heat and lane numbers for those events (since Iím not in the heat sheet). I record these on my arm, and am ready to go do some starts off the blocks.

As Iím standing in the line for starts, I notice one of my toes is covered in blood. I remember stubbing it lightly on one of the bleacher legs when I was reaching for my towel, but I had no idea I had actually hurt anything. I go find a lifeguard and ask for some bandaids and waterproof tape. They look at the blood and ask if they should call 911. I assure them thatís not necessary, and they give me a few kleenexes and 4 band-aidsóthey canít find any tape. I tend to my foot (itís just a little scuffed place, and doesnít hurt at all), hope I donít end up fainting from seeing the blood (I donít, but it has happened), and head off to do some starts. It becomes apparent that the toe is still bleeding, so I go sit back down and apply pressure with the tissue for 10 minutes, then paper over the spot with several band-aids. Once I walk on this, though, the toe starts bleeding again through the band-aids. I canít believe so much blood is coming from such a little scrape. I ask my coach if he has any tape. He doesnít, but actually goes out to the nearest drugstore to buy some for me (good coach!). Heís back in 5 minutes. I put on another band-aid, tape it really tightly, and am ready to go for the relay. Some swimmers win high-point awards; between the late entries and the toe, I feel like Iím leading the race for high-maintenance award.

3 pm: The meet starts. Except it doesnít. There has been a computer crash, and it takes about 20 minutes to fix. I take advantage of the down time and my previous scouting-out of the pool, and head out to the hallway adjacent to the pool area (which is really packed with swimmers at this point). I drag a mat over by the glass door so I can see whatís going on in the pool area while being away from the bustle. I stretch, take some deep breaths, and work on letting go of all the dayís distractions and getting focused on my events. I pull out my sheets with my event keys (yes, I actually print these out and drag them to meets) and review them. I feel calm again as I mentally rehearse each of my races, and happy that things worked out so I can swim them. Eventually I wander back into the pool area. Heats for the opening relay have been posted, and my team is in the 3rd head of 3.

The meet eventually starts, and I swim 50 BK on our relay. My start is just middlingóI need to arch more so that I am closer to going into one hole in the water. My turn rocks. My stroke feels really good by the 2nd 25, even though Iím tiring. I touch in 35.78. Iíd hoped to go under 35, so I still have some work to do here. Things I can improve for my swim at Zones: a better start, and getting into my best sprint stroke right away. I scoot over into the warmdown lane (we have 5 competition lanes and 1 warmup/warmdown lane at the meet) and do a few laps before my next race, the 50 FR.

The 50 FR follows right on the relay, and because of the late entries Iím in the 2nd heat. Luckily thereís about 5 minutes of downtime before the event starts, so Iím not literally hopping out of one race just to step up on the blocks for the next one. My start on the FR is decent, and I feel like I hit all my keys except for the turn. Itís kind of a disasteróIím way too far from the wall, and get to test my toe strength since theyíre all Iím using for the push-off. My time is 30.81, so I have some work to do there as well. Iím puzzled as to why I was so off on my turnóIíll definitely need to figure that out and fix it before Zones!

I have a longer break before my next event, the 100 BK. I swim it in 1:17.74. My goals on this race were to get a good start (it was decent, better than my 50 start, but could probably be a bit more explosive off the wall), swim an aggressive first 50 at 37-low (I actually split 37.6) and see what I had left to finish with on the last 50. I was a little disappointed with my timeóit was better than the last time I swam this (1:18.5) but off my 40-44 PR (1:16.2). I did feel proud of myself for keeping my stroke together and swimming tough on the last 50óI felt I swam about the best 100 BK I had in me today, and thatís always what I ultimately want from each swim. The verdict: Execution: good; expectations: a bit high.

The final event is 100 BR. On this swim I forget to put on my second cap on top of my goggle straps, and I pay for this: on the first lap my right goggle fills up with water, on my first pullout I can feel the strap rippling on the back of my capóa sign that itís dropped too low on my head and is too loose. On the 2nd 25 the left goggle fills up with water, and I canít see anything. I ponder what to do (toss them off? fix them? swim blind?). I end up stopping at the 2nd turn and fixing them, and finishing in 1:34.59 (42.07, 52.52). This was a silly swim.

5 pm: The meet is done, and I shower and head home. Although my times today were disappointing, I donít feel as down as I thought I would about that. It has been a weird day full of ups and downs. Maybe it is Thanksgiving getting to me early, but on the bus ride home Iím overcome by gratitude, and I realize how many people have been kind to me over the course of the day: the meet director and computer guy who worked really hard to get me into the events I wanted to swim, my teammates who cheered me on and surrounded me with encouragement and love, my extra-wonderful teammate who baked cookies and shared them at the meet; my coach who arranged relays and went out and bought me tape for my toe; Steve who brimmed with helpful hints and excitement this morning at the taping; my husband, who will greet me at the door with a glass of wine and listen to all my dayís adventures while he cooks me dinner. I also remember how scared I was this summer when I didnít know the extent of tendon damage in my knee, and was uncertain that I would be able to swim breaststroke again. Compared to that, a goggle mishap in a breaststroke race is small potatoes.

6:20: I arrive home happy and exhausted. I unwrap my toe and see that its a little abrasion smaller than a freckle that caused all the trouble.

A lot of things didnít go as planned today. I really tried to manage the things I could as calmly as I could, and keep my focus on swimming my races the way I wanted to and learning something from them. Sometimeís thatís not an easy task for a control freak like me! Going forward, Iím glad to have gotten in some races before Zones, but feel a little less confident in my preparation than I did going into this meet. For the last week and a half I have not done a lot of hard swimming. The positive result is that my arm has healedóit gave me no problems at the meet, and thereís no twinginess the morning after either. The negative is that it makes me worry about my aerobic conditioning. It will be tempting to try to improve it (or at least prove it to myself) by banging out some sets of 100s on the 1:20 (the fastest interval I can maintain), but with Zones a couple of weeks away thatís not what I need. Instead I just have to trust that my conditioning is adequate, and work on sharpening up my skills between now and the meet. This means that with injury time plus pre-meet work Iím essentially doing a four-week taper for Zones, which is longer than I would have planned, but is what it will be.

The other positive from the meet is that I was reminded of how much I love simply getting up on the blocks and racing. Sometimes I get so focused on the results that I lose sight of that. Doing this meet reenergized me for swimming at Zones and for getting the chance to do relays with friends there.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. 2nd Day of SCM Meet and My First Top Ten Time!

by , November 22nd, 2009 at 12:18 PM (My Passion)
    Today I got up had a light breakfast and drove to pool. Got there just a little after 8. I got settled in by the same group of folks I sat next to yesterday (turns out they do the 11:30 practice at my pool!). I did a 500 free warmup and then 2X50 breast and 2X100 breast. I practiced 3 or 4 dives got out and settled in for my race.

I was signed up for the 200 breast, the 100 free and the 50 fly. After yesterday's race results after swimming the 400 free, I was seriously thinking about scratching the 100 free and the 50 fly. (I have never in my life scratched an event) . I have also never swam more than a 100 at a meet except for 1 time in highschool I swam the 200 free, but I do not remember it, as at that time I was a die-hard sprinter, so sprint events were the ones I remembered and cared about.

My 200 breast event came up pretty quickly. The only other swimmer was a 26 year old with a seed time 30 seconds faster than mine. My time was calculated from a timed 200 yard breast in practice that I converted to meters as 3:45.

The swim was good and I pushed hard. My time was 3:30:80. I was exhausted and really hurt bad after the finish. I swam a long warm-down and got out, and took a shower and my 100 free event was up next after I got out of the shower. I scratched and I am glad. I said bye to my new friends (who cheered while I raced ). Now I am home and I still feel that race in my arms.

I looked up my time and it is the 10th time for the event in my age group. I am really happy with the swim, and I now have something to base my next race and strategy on. I also looked up my ranking in all events I have swam since joining masters, and when I look at my rankings, the 400 from yesterday is in the teens, and the 200 from today is the 10th, while my 50's and 100's are in the 20's and above. So, I am thinking that I am a distance swimmer after all, who knew?

Anyway, this was a good meet. I learned that it takes my body a while to recover from a long event, and I will plan my future meets considering this, now that I know. I will still race 50's and 100's, but I will consider 200's, 400's, 500's and above before I consider the 50's and 100's.
  10. Saturday Swim

by , November 21st, 2009 at 11:17 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Friday night I fell asleep on the couch and woke up at 1:30 with a headach, sore throat and ears, and a clogged nose/sinuses. I got up Sat. and didn't know if I should swim or not. I figured I'd at least try so I went to the pool. I got to practice a bit late and missed most of the warm-up. I dove in and felt great. I just kept feeling better the longer I swam!
    Swimming seems o make head colds feel much better. Here's the practice I managed to get in during the 49 minutes:

*4 X 125 Free on 2:10 interval
    *100 ez swim
    *4 X 150 on 2:45 interval
    *100 ez swim
    *4 X 100 free on 2:00 interval (lots of rest but done very hard)
    *100 ez swim
    *2 X (5 X 50 descending interval starting @ 1:00)
    *ez 100 free between each 5x50 and at end
    *200 backstroke cool-down

The rest of the day I have felt dizzy, sore throated, and sneezy. I guess I'll know tomorrow if I did the right thing today.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Meet Report: November USMS DAM SCM Meet

by , November 21st, 2009 at 06:03 PM (Random Nonsense)
    3 events in order of swims:
    - 50 free: 27.21
    - 200 free: 2:20.21
    - 100 free: 1:00.52

The structure of the DAM meets is the 1500/1650 and the 400IM is on Friday and everything else is on Saturday. Friday I was at the meet counting and cheering for my wife and several others from my team. It was great fun, but cut into my sleep, I got a leg workout and raw knees (from counting).

My expectations going into this meet based on my sleep and the pool were I would not best my times from the previous USAS meet, but I wanted to be close. For the 50 and the 100 this happened and I think I had very good swims given the conditions.

I actually got to chat with someone from the forum who I have previously only had hi/good race/how did you swim conversations with at meets. This was also the first meet in about 6 years where we had a team, which was great. So the meet was very fun.

The meet lasted only 3 hours, which was about 2 hours quicker than last year iirc. That worked for me, since I didn't swim the 400 this year.

Yeah, the 200. WTF MATE. I got out of the 200 and said "That was really slow." Apparently during my swim, our assistant coach asked my wife if I meant to go out like that.

The last 200 I swam, I went out too fast and could not bring it home. Today, I went out WAY too slow and never picked it up. I am capable of swimming a 200 correctly, but lately I have had a cranial rectal inversion.

My splits were: 33.48, 36.18, 36.78, 33.77.

Both the 50 and the 100 hurt more. I really really just, I don't know, need to stop swimming like a moron when it comes to the 200. Paul Wolf would have beat me today I swam so poorly.

What I should have done was probably 31/33/33/33. Now, I just need to figure out HOW to force myself to split correctly. It has happened in the past, and it wasn't a accident.

I split my 100 30.17/30.35, so if I had gone out a bit faster (.5-1.0) I might have been looking at a time that rivaled my 100scy time from the USAS meet a couple weeks ago, converted of course. Still, I was happy with the time.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Still Flying High

by , November 21st, 2009 at 05:42 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today I got in about 40 minutes early and took advantage of it. Unfortunately the temperature was 85 degrees. Still felt great on
    the fly this time.

10x100@1:45 Free
    5x100@1:45 Fly w/fins
    500 Free kick w/fins
    40x25 10 of each stroke various drills

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. ANY BIG IDEAS?

sunday is our only day for a 2 hour practice. last week i did the 6000 postal. this week, we will be coachless, and though i am perfectly capable of putting together a workout, i tend toward the tedious..... ie 80x 100 on 1:20 or 6x 1000 on 13min, etc.

any ideas?
    -no kicking with fins, sneakers, wing-tips, birks or any other footwear.
    -fly heavy...OK
    -6000- 8000 scy

i signed up for the 1500 at the scm colonies zones meet on dec 5.... no other scm meets or events for me this year.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. The sprint meet

I just got home from my first meet of the season -- the sprint only meet at Baruch College. I actually only swam the 50 free today; the meet was running long because of computer glitches and I needed to get home.

But I almost missed even that one race. The officials were starting the heat while I was still walking to the blocks, so I had to do a sprint on the deck to get to the sprint in the pool. : But I made it on time and just a little bit rattled. Oh, and I was happy with my time.

SCM Zones in two weeks, at Flushing Meadows.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. 1st day of SCM Meet

by , November 21st, 2009 at 03:47 PM (My Passion)
    Got to meet at 8:00. Found a spot to sit and got my stuff organized. Swam pretty good warm-up - lots of free and some breast. Made sure I knew the walls for the turns.

Meet started a little late. First event 400 free. First time to swim this event for time - EVER. I swam a 1000 SCY about a month ago from a push start for time and did 15.50 (first time to swim for time), so I divided 16 by 2 and subtracted a minute since the course was a little shorter than a 500 to give myself a seed time of 7:00. My actual time was 6:08 which I was very pleased with since it was my first time swimming it and my asthma was bothering me so much that I could hear myself wheeze. .

Next two events were 50 free and 50 breast. Both events added a few tenths of a second to my PR, and I attribute this to not enought rest after the 400. Meet started at 9:30 ish and ended at 10:30 for me, so I swam 3 events in an hour and the first one was a long one.

Tomorrow is my 200 breast event. I have never swam this in a meet before either, however, my coach did time me in a SCY pool last week and I did 3:20 from a push start. I am also scheduled to swim the 100 free and the 50 fly, but I may scratch those, because I can tell I need a lot more recovery time to get a good racing time.
  16. Saturday Nov 21st, 2009, SCM MEET DAY 1

by , November 21st, 2009 at 03:09 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Saturday Nov 21st, 2009,
    SCM MEET DAY 1

University of the Incarnate Word (SCM) Masters Meet

4301 broadway san antonio texas

sponsored by Adrian Montoya.
    VERY WELL RUN MEET
    Thanks!

with Longhorn masters swimmers
    jon smiley, tyler, marcio, kendall, kristine, erin, amy, max, larry, fred lemaistre, & ???

arrived at 8:00 am

felt good in warm up

decided to not swim the 4 x 50 medley relay, our chances to break record was iffy plus I wanted to be fresh for the 100 IM

wore a brand new Blue Seventy Nero Comp
    which I love & will sorely miss if (when) it's banned for masters

100 Individual Medley
    went 1:00.14
    splits 27.02 33.13
    45 - 49 MEN'S WR was 1:00.29
    went 1:00.32 last year
    bk to br turn coulda been better
    SDKs Fl 8 , bk 10, not many on FR
    really hurt bad glad it wasn't a 200

100 BR SKIPPED

50 Breaststroke
    went 31.50
    swam right next to tyler "the miler" blessing
    he went 31.6 so he told me he got razzed
    I'm just glad he swam a 400 fr before the 50 br

100 Backstroke skipped to rest up to lead off the 4 x 100 medley relay

4 x 100 medley relay (200 - 239 age group)
    went 4:15.24
    nat rec was 4:17
    BK Ande 59.71 29.40 30.31
    jammed 1st & 2nd turns, SDKs 10 10 10 & 7
    BR jon smiley 33.90 1:13.02
    FL Max stinchcombe 1:06.38 out in 29.30
    FRFred LeMaistre 56.13 OUT IN 26.96, fred kinda slipped on his start
    might have been better to put me on fly fred on bk & max on FR
    had a great time high fiving & tenning my teammates

here's the Men's 200-239 Short Course Meters Relay Records
    200 Freestyle Relay 1:40.71
    Need to ave 25.17
    400 Freestyle Relay 3:47.59
    Need to ave 55.86
    800 Freestyle Relay 8:26.46* was 8:31
    Need to ave 2:06.61
    200 Medley Relay 1:53.92
    400 Medley Relay 4:17.42* was 4:22

tomorrow: I'm entered in the

Sunday, November 22, 2009
    4 x 50 fr relay
    26 200 Freestyle 2:06.99 (go for a 50 fr split)
    30 50 Backstroke 27.99
    34 100 Freestyle 54.99 (SKIP)
    36 50 Butterfly 26.99
    4 x 100 fr relay
    4 x 200 fr relay leasd off 200, goal is to split it well

Next MEET
    December 4th - 6th, 2009
    Long Beach

14 Days till Long Beach

Updated November 21st, 2009 at 03:21 PM by ande

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events , Planning
  17. Friday

by , November 20th, 2009 at 10:21 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Long, long day today at school.
    Afterwards I went to LA Fitness to swim. The water was dreadfully hot so I took the sissy route and cut the swim short. Here's what I did:

*500 Free Swim, followed by / 4 X 125 on 2:15
    *400 Free Swim, followed by/4 X 100 Back on 2:00
    *300 Free Swim, followed by /4 X 75 IM roll 15 sec rest
    *200 free swim, followed by /4 X 50 free on 1:00
    *100 free swim followed by/ 4 X 25 fly on :45
    3,000scy
    At this point I was looking for an ice bath to jump in to so I quit and went home!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Drylandpalooza, Fri., Nov. 20

by , November 20th, 2009 at 08:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Had to spend the morning in my lil kid's 3rd grade classroom celebrating, blech, Thanksgiving. Since my kid is also against white mushy bland food, I brought in Subway for us to eat while other were forced to eat that dismal stuff. I think we were the envy of the table.

Afterward, I journeyed to the gym for the last of my big gym sessions, since taper (at least for the legs) starts tomorrow. I was feeling pretty energetic after yesterday's easy swim, so I went a bit dryland crazy. We'll see if I pay for it tomorrow.

Drylands:

Core:

broomstick twist, 1 x 25
    side bends w/45 lb bar, 1 x 25
    superman banana, 1 x 25
    bicycles, 2 x 50
    windshield wipers, 2 x 25
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 25
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 3 x 15
    elevated knee ins w/10 lb weight held by feet, 2 x 25

Weights/Core:

Dara yoga ball twist on cable machine, 60 x 2 x 15, each side
    squat X press (from P90X) w/15 lb DBs, 2 x 25
    one legged squats w/15 lb DBs, 1 x 10 each leg (forgot to do 2nd set)
    overhead squats w/bar, 65 x 3 x 15
    (LOVE these! So great for the core, but take a strong back)
    narrow grip seated row, 70 x 2 x 10 fast
    lying overhead tricep press, 50 x 1 x 10, 60 x 2 x 8
    trap bar dead lift*, 135 x 2 x 5, 145 x 1 x 5, 155 x 1 x 3, 165 x 1 x 1, 175 x 1 x 1 (PR)

* I decided to use the trap bar that Jazz recommended: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html. I couldn't really tell if it was easier or harder than a regular bar. Might be easier on the back. I also wasn't sure what it weighed, but Jazz thought it was likely 45 lb. I was trying to PR, but regrettably did not bring my gloves. I think I could have lifted a bit more with them. Jazz somehow thinks I could get up to deadlifting 300. WTH?! I don't think I'll be doing that on my next phase of training.

Plyos:

twisting med ball slam, 2 x 25
    box jumps on 18 inch box, 2 x 10 (jump on, jump off)
    rock star jumps, 2 x 10
    jump pull ups on box, 3 x 25**

** I decided to try jump pull ups instead of regular pull ups or chin ups so as not to strain my shoulder. They're still pretty hard when you do them in sets of 25 ... Here they are: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/jumping-pull-ups.wmv

Here's a CF discussion about them: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40552&page=2

RC:

ball on wall w/left hand, 4 x 25 w/2 lb med ball
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each side
    prone scapular scrunches w/3 lb weights, 3 x 25
    seated straight arm dips, 2 x 25
    scapular wall slides, 2 x 25
    3 position arm extensions, 2 x 15

P90X Ab Ripper:

Went home and did the P90X ab ripper 15 minute DVD. I'm getting my crunchy frog rhythm down.

In case you missed them before, the exercises are:

11 exercises--25 reps of each exercise in this order:
    Knee ins
    Bicycle-Same as in and outs but with a bicyle movement
    Bicycle in reverse
    Crunchy Frog- In and outs with your hands out at your sides bringing them in and wrapping your legs close to your chest
    Fifer Scissors-lying on your back one leg hovering over the floor, one up and a 90degree angle both feet flexed and changing them scissor style
    Hip Rock and Raise-sort of reverse crunches
    Pulse-ups/Heels to Heaven-Reverse crunches with straight legs
    V-up roll ups-Similar to a teaser
    Obliques-side lying lifting legs and shoulder up at same time, kind of an oblique crunch
    Leg climbs-lying on back one leg bent, one leg extended rolling up to top
    Mason twist-Oblique twists done VERY quickly with legs raised up off the floor

Swim/SCM/Solo:

My little one was off on a sleepover. So after I was done driving teenagers around, I went to the pool and did an LSD recovery swim to loosen up.

Warm up:

800 variety swim, kick, drill

Drill set:

6 x 50 @ 1:15
    odds = 25 back shooter + 25 Chaos lead arm body dophin drill
    evens = 25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ

6 x 50 @ 1:15
    odds = 25 side shooter + 25 Chaos lead arm body dolphin drill
    evens = 25 nasty long breaststroke pullout + 25 shooter to 15 meters

100 EZ

Total: 1500 meters

hottub & steamroom

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm breaking my chard fast tonight and having some champagne for my anniversary later. I think the abstinence during the week and imbibing on the weekend is a good plan for me.

I'm going to stick with taking tomorrow off, even though I know I'll likely have next Thursday off as well. I just hope I don't have trouble finding a place to swim that's open next week. I may have to bring the power wheel to Pittsburgh even though Jimby is skrt of it.

Had a funny conversation with 5 teenagers in the car today heading to their second practice of the day. They were discussing various sets, including their coaches recent obsession with holding 8 seconds off your 100 free PR while going on 100s on a 1:15 interval. Yikes ... I mentioned I did 5 x 75 @ 3:00 yesterday and they all hooted and hollered. Then one of the girls asked me my 50 free time, and that shut them up. Good thing they didn't inquire about that pesky 200 free.

Updated November 21st, 2009 at 11:23 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  19. Day Before Meet

by , November 20th, 2009 at 07:56 PM (My Passion)
    I led a 10 minute Yoga

1X200 free
    1X50 free
    1X200 breast (kick up and full stroke fast back)
    Worked on breast turns (kept hitting the wall with half a stroke left - don't want to do that at the meet)
    Worked on starts
    2X50 fly (may still scratch this one depending on how I feel Sunday)
    200 free warmdown

then off to work.

Felt tired when I got up at 4:30, but after practice and throughout the day felt good. Thinking about cancelling dr. appt on Monday.

Need to leave house at 7:30 tomorrow to get to meet.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Easy pre-meet swim

I went up to Riverbank State Park today for an easy swim before my meet tomorrow. I did

1000 warmup
    "virtual" run-through of meet events (50 BK, 50 FR, 100 BK, 100 BR, 50 FR) [For this, I swam the distances in question easy stroke or free while rehearsing my meet keys and mentally reviewing what I might be feeling at each point in the race. I just did pieces fast that were necessary for reviewing the keys--ie a fast turn, or breakout, or a few strokes to get the feel of pushing the tempo into my head]
    400 warmdown

I felt good in the water and ready to swim.

Tomorrow will be a packed day. Mid-morning I am doing some videotaping with swimmetrics; meet warmups start at 2 pm. I plan to come home in between to eat and repack my bag. If everything is on schedule I should have no problem with the timing, but I have packed my back-up meet suit in my morning bag and will bring and some food to the taping session just in case things are running late. (The taping and the meet are at different pools).

It's been about 6 months since I last competed. I'm looking forward to tomorrow to get some sense of where my meet times are these days!
    Categories
    Uncategorized