View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Getting ready for the first meet

I'm getting ready for first meet of this season -- a sprint only meet this Saturday afternoon. It's at the same pool that I used to practice in with my former team. Of course, now I don't swim at that pool or with that team -- and the team doesn't train at that pool either. But the pool's still there and it will be my first time back.

So I did my last workout before the meet tonight. But now that I train all on my own (I'm on a sort of "virtual" team that doesn't have coaches or practices), I have to share my lanes with swimmers who, um, may not really know what they're doing. Like tonight when I was trying to circle with someone who going straight up the middle of the lane -- when she wasn't weaving from side to side. (I couldn't get too mad at her, since I don't think she knew was doing that.)

Fortunately this was only during my warmup, when I was mostly doing drills. She was finished before I did my hard swims -- which, by the way, were a lot faster than I expected.

Anyway, Saturday's meet is a small, local event, that I'm using as a warmup for Colones SCM Zones, in two weeks. And a couple of days ago I sent in my entry for a SCY meet at Eisenhower Park on January 24.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Thursday

by , November 19th, 2009 at 08:59 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I am getting very sick of the rain and gloom around here. This weather makes me feel wickedly psycho!

I decided to skip practice tonight in order to rest for the 2 day meet this week-end. I threw a load in the laundry after work and checked e-mail. The meet was cancelled due to lack of officials.
    I'm not upset about missing the races, I can always find lots to do on the week-end. However I am bummed about the room I pricelined today during my lunch break....it is non-refundable.
    I think my son may be able to use it. Louisville has a great skate park, he thinks he can get a few friends together and go down Sat. and Sun.
    I hope this works out. I don't mind paying for the room as long as someone gets some good use from it!
    I read a post today from a very good source stating stretchy band exercises may hurt swimmers more than it helps them.
    I would like more information on this subject. I have been using them 5 times a week for about 6 weeks. If I'm not making things better I would love to quit doing these exercises.
    Of course my next question is "now what do I do to keep my shulders healthy?"
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Off week

by , November 19th, 2009 at 08:18 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    This week, I'm not feeling very energetic. Got in lots of good workouts last week, but this week, I've been sluggish. I haven't even felt like running. Must be a biorhythm funk I'm in. Maybe it is good to back down this week.

Did the following workout today:

Warm-up: easy 400

10 x 50 sprint with each 50 followed by a 75 easy and one minute rest - on most held between 28 and 30. There were a couple of times that I probably came in around 31. Just felt pretty sluggish today and the warm water did not help things.

200 easy

500 alternating 25 non-free, 25 free - did back

2 x 25 underwater (no fins) followed by easy 50 and 30 seconds rest

100 easy

2600 yards

Not going to go to the meet on December 5 in Atlanta. A number of folks have reminded me that 100,000+ people will be descending upon Atlanta for the SEC Championship. Georgia Tech is right downtown where all these people will be headed. Think I'll stay home and continue my training. May look to do a meet in January where it is warm. I saw something about a meet in Orlando in mid-January, but have not heard anymore about it.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Two days before Meet

by , November 19th, 2009 at 06:57 PM (My Passion)
    Wedenesday I got to practice and the coach asked me to lead the team in Yoga. It seams that several team members are having shoulder issues. Lately there have been some 18-19 year olds joining us after not swimming for a year and thinking that us elderly swimmers aren't fast enough for them. They make 1 or two practices every two or three weeks and mess up our lanes by showing up randomly and show no real dedication, but I digress.

After Yoga I swam:
    1X400 (swim kick pull swim 100 of each stroke in IM order).
    1X150 free sprint (I was exhausted after this, high cedar and high mold counts in the air combined with my asthma acting up was awful, plus my body felt really sluggish in the water)
    6X50 sprints alternat free and breast each 50
    4X25 fly sprints
    After this I got out to practice dives. Meet coming up this weekend and we do not practice dives, so practicing is called for.

After work, I really felt run down. Don't know if it was the Flu shot from Tuesday (my arm is still sore), or what. I decided not to work out today (thursday) and got into bed at 7:30. Watched TV until 8, turned it off and I was out. Woke at 5:45 and went to work. A friend IM'd me that she had not seen me in the gym lately and I told her that lately I had been feeling tired, so Tues and Thurs I have been taking off. She said that is not like me and to make a dr appointment soon. I did and will see the dr on Tuesday. Wonder if my lung function has decreased, this has been for a month now and if I didn't love to swim so much, I would stop swimming because of the way I feel.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Sprints w/Jazz & Speedo, Thursday, Nov. 19

by , November 19th, 2009 at 05:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY @ OakMarr w/Jazz & Speedo:

Warm up:

700 variety

6 x 25 "good swimmer" drill
    6 x 25 DPS dolphin kick w/fins
    6 x 25 breaststroke pull w/fin grip

Speed Work:

5 x 75 @ 3:00
    25 fast free into fast turn w/fast breakout, cruise the rest. I didn't do descending stroke counts like those two speedsters. I just dolphin kicked fast out of the turns. I wasn't warmed up enough on the first one.

50 EZ

Total: 1575

10-15 minutes hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

1. As Speedo noted, Oak Marr is not GMU. However, it's still a decent place to practice. Complaints, including 6 emails, have been submitted to GMU facility management. I am not the only one slightly peeved by this! Why, I have never heard Brad Gandee say one nasty word (well, maybe one) and my poor coach has been reduced to running for exercise.

2. Jazz and I were wondering about drills to work on keeping the head down when one breathes in fly. Suggestions anyone? Besides not ever breathing.

3. I feel pretty tired and crappy in the water. Upon reflection, I think it's just that I've been training my ass off the last 4 weeks (in anticipation of submax events and a few wee moments of sprinting) and my body needs a recovery week. This seems to be a pattern with me ... I guess it's good that taper starts next week with the abandonment of all things leg related in the gym. I will miss my plyos though ...

4. I am not sure what to do with hot yoga during tapering ... Tentatively, I plan to go next week and then bag it the 2 weeks before my meet.

5. I'm still not sure whether to taper or just drop upper body weights in a week ... I'll likely do an explosive session at lower weights tomorrow if I feel like my shoulder can take it.

6. Jazz and I are indeed insanely jealous of Speedo's ability to fall instantly asleep at night. We also briefly discussed Jimby's upcoming article in Men's Health on the dark side of ambien.

7. Unlike Geekidissy, I hate Thanksgiving except for the lazy time. He says it's different in the South, but it just seems like a bunch of overcooked mushy food to me. So, I refuse to cook it. I get no mom/wife points for this holiday. The bright side is I will be in Pittsburgh over the holiday, so I will get to drag Jimby to the gym.

8. I want a mistress like Patrick's. Plus, I could use a wife with Mr. Fort being constantly AWOL lately. I'm considering letting my youngest become a wii addict.

9. My left shoulder still bugs me around the shoulder blade and teres area. I will grudgingly continue with the RC and icing tonight.

10. And on other depressing suit news: http://www.stumbleupon.com/s/#1taQbb...nds-tech.html/ But I guess it's a good thing we have those extra affordable cheapo $260 jammers around.

Updated November 19th, 2009 at 08:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Another meet is this weekend

by , November 19th, 2009 at 12:03 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    So another crash taper.

11/19/09

SCY, Solo

300 free & back
    200 kick rev IM
    200 IM drill
    200 pull w/p&b, breathe 3/5 by 50

5 x 50 on 1:00 choice: build to about 85%
    {Went back (40), free (37), fly (40), free (38), back (40)}

swim 6x around choice on 3:00
    {
    75 easy, 20 sec. rest
    25 all out
    }
    (on 75's did 1-4 free around 1:05, 5-6 back around 1:05
    25's did 1-2 fly, 17-18; 3-4 back, 18-19; 5-6 free, 15-16)

100 easy

kick 4 x 25 on 1:00: 10 SDK underwater minimum.
    {odds on back, evens on belly, 15 sdk to just past mid-pool}

Swim down 600 alternating 100 free/100 back

Total: 2550 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Thursday Nov 19th, 2009

by , November 19th, 2009 at 10:54 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thursday Nov 19th, 2009

The [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=198158&postcount=1303"]SFF[/ame] Tip of the Day is:
    [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=73330&postcount=601"]Tip 165 Build a Better Boat[/ame]
    Which ones are your favorites?

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

FOUR OR MORE SDKs off EVERY wall

SCY
    6:30 - 8:00
    whitney coached
    dove in on time
    swam with Mike, Larry & Max
    next to tyler, amy & erin

WORE briefs

Warm Up

MAIN SET

assigned: 10 x 100
    did: 10 x 50

assigned: 10 x 75
    did: 10 x 25 SDK

assigned: 10 x 50
    did: 6 x 50

assigned: 10 x 25
    did: 8 x 25

MEETS:

Saturday, November 21 & Sunday 22, 2009
    University of the Incarnate Word (SCM) Masters Meet

4301 broadway san antonio texas
    2 Days till San Antonio

Entered:
    Saturday, November 21, 2009
    04 100 Individual Medley 1:00.99
    08 100 BR 1:12.9
    14 50 Breaststroke 32.99
    18 100 Backstroke 59.99
    plus 4 x 50 medley & 4 x 100 medley relays

Sunday, November 22, 2009
    26 200 Freestyle 2:06.99
    30 50 Backstroke 27.99
    34 100 Freestyle 54.99
    36 50 Butterfly 26.99
    plus 4 x 50 fr, 4 x 100 fr, & 4 x 200 fr relay

Probably won't swim all those individual events

December 4th - 6th, 2009
    2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships at
    Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

15 Days till Long Beach
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Mixing it up again

by , November 19th, 2009 at 07:31 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Not a lot of yardage today but it was a little rough. Tomorrow is LONG COURSE and you know what that means.......FLY.

5x200@3:15 Free long and loose

8x25@:45 Free kick every 3rd 25 FAST held :26's on the fast ones
    8x50@55 Fly w/fins was holding :43's on these
    8x25@:45 Free kick every other 25 FAST held :26's
    4x100@1:45 Back w/paddles was holding 1:35's
    8x25@:45 Free kick FAST held :27's on these
    4x100@2:00 Breast pull w/fins get the dolphin motion in held 1:48's on these

200 Free kick w/fins EASY
    200 Free swim EASY

Total 3200 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Hump Day!

by , November 18th, 2009 at 10:51 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I took a quick dip at LA Fitness before the Noodler Tribe took over. I guess I'm swimming both days at Louisville this week-end so I should probably cut back and rest a bit.
    *700 Free Swim
    *10 X 50 Free on 1:00 (I was racing the guy in the next lane I guess)
    *4 X ( 100 IM/2 X 50 Stroke IM roll/4 X 25 stroke)
    *100 easy backstroke
    2,500 yds

I got a new Blackberry tonight! I had the set-up guy make the texting font large! It's great, I don't even need my glasses! I now have e-mail, internet, and a gps all on my phone! And I can see it!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Wednesday, Nov. 18

by , November 18th, 2009 at 06:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 variety swim, kick, drill

10 x 25 shooters

Aerobic Kick Set:

5 x 200 dolphin kick w/Dolphina, my MF @ 3:00
    2 back, 1 belly, 2 side
    essentially meditative streamlining

50 EZ

Speed Set:

2 x through:

5 x 50 fly @ 1:00
    5 x 50 back @ 1:00
    5 x 50 breast @ 1:00
    5 x 50 free @ 1:00
    :30 extra rest or so after each round

round 1 = swim
    round 2 = kick (except swim evil)

#1-#3 = EZ/good technique (drilled the fly)
    #4 = fast w/fins (except for fly, which was easy speed)
    #5 = EZ

Round 1, I went easy speed fly (29) and then 24, 32, and high 23 on back, breast and free.

Round 2 went high 23, low 24 (jammed turn and cramped) and 32 on evil. I skipped the last 5 x 50 flutter kicks b/c I had cramped so much. I think this was due to dehydration after yoga yesterday. I have to make an affirmative effort to drink more water in the late afternoon and evening and I didn't.

100 EZ

Total: 3950

10 minutes hottub

15 minutes of RC work

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I was still pretty tired in the water today, although my 50s were pretty fast. I think my days of vicious doubles are over for now. I was tempted to do more this afternoon, but passed. It seems to take me awhile to recover from the P90X plyo DVD. That pain lingers!

Plan for the rest of the week is:

Thursday: Do P90X ab ripper and swim with Speedo & Jazz
    Friday: weight room + EZ swim
    Saturday: off day or possibly just yoga; 3 week taper begins, no more leg work outside of pool
    Sunday: swim with team

I swam at OakMarr Rec Center today instead of Springhill, as I was in the area. It's not as deep as Springhill, but has a digital clock at one end. It's so much easier to see your approximate times with that than an old fashioned pace clock.

I made 2 SR purchases today. I ordered the book Swimming Anatomy recommended by Cokie Lepinski for dryland training. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0736075712/ref=ox_ya_oh_product"]Amazon.com: Swimming Anatomy (9780736075718): Ian McLeod: Books[/ame]

I also bought the P90X plus ab/core 20 minute DVD on ebay: http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...s/p90x_plus.do

Updated November 18th, 2009 at 11:08 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Meet preview: 100 Back and 100 Breast

The third and fourth event Iíll swim at Saturdayís meet are the 100 Back and 100 Breast. Hereís my goals and keys for each.

100 SCM Back
    History
    Masters/Lifetime PR: 1:12.83 (35.6, 37.2) (2001)
    40-44 PR: 1:16.21 (37.5, 38.7) (2006)
    Most recent times: 1:18.52 (38.0, 40.5) (6/08)
    Best age-graded percentage: 90.1; I would need a 1:14.63 to equal that

Comments
    That age-group PR seems a bit soft to meóIíve actually done a 1:15 lcm in my current age group. But my LC times are often very close to or even better than my SCM times. Often, the challenge on 100 BK for me is going out fast enoughóI donít like hurting on that last 25, and my natural tendency is to swim the race cautiously and then finish strong. On this race I want risk taking it out a bit too fast, and then finish with whatever I have left.

Goals
    A good and powerful start, and a fast first 50 (37-low). I donít have an explicit time goal for this raceóI want to be aggressive pacing it, and then see what results.

Keys
    Push with arms on start, tight streamline off starts and turns, drive arms into water, accelerate stroke when I see flags, kick on middle 50, count strokes on final 25.

Mantras
    Drive arms, flags mean go faster, kick triplets, count.

100 SCM Breast
    History
    Masters/Lifetime PR 1:23.71 (1998)
    40-44 PR: 1:28.43 (41.8, 46.6) (2005)
    Most recent time: 1:29.64 (5/08) (42.8, 46.8)
    Best age-graded percentage: 87.5; I would need a 1:25.56 to equal that.

Goals
    Iíve only swum 100 Breast a few times over the last 5 years or so, and donít have as good a grasp of what sort of times are possible for me as in my other events. So Iíll go with process goals on this one as well. I want to keep my turns unrushed and strong, and I want to remember throughout the race to keep my head in a down position (this is a change Iíve been working on in practice, and it will be good to test whether my altered stroke will hold up in a race).

Keys
    calm turns, watch hands on recovery, accelerate turnover on each 25
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Wednesday, 11/18/09

by , November 18th, 2009 at 04:29 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, solo

Pool has been very warm again this week. Today it felt like it was at least 86.

300 swim free
    200 IM drill
    300 pull free breathe 3/5 by 50
    200 kick choice

swim 3x around:
    {
    2 x 150 smooth free on 2:35
    (went 2:04-:06 on these)
    4 x 25 on :40; odds breaststroke smooth, evens choice FAST
    (did fast ones fly-back-free by round.
    ave 22 on breast, 18-19 on fly and back, 15 on free)
    }
    100 easy

swim 4 x 50 build free on 1:00: try to build to about 85% within each 50
    (35-36 on these)

200 swim down

Total: 2700 yards

Another swim meet this weekend. This one a dual sanction meet with the kids in Boise Idaho. I'll be swimming the following:

Saturday - 50 free, 50 back
    Sunday - 100 free, 100 back, 50 fly
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Tuesday Night November 17 and Wednesday November 18

Last night I did my favorite weight circuit and went balls out on the treadmill for about 20 minutes. My running goal currently is to get back to running 8 minute miles easily and to hold onto that for 8 miles. I am hoping this doesn't adversely affect my sprint swimming. We shall see. I miss running hard and have no desire to put more than an hour (or so) into but definitely like how I feel and look when I run regularly.

This morning:

300 Free
    200 IM Drill

5 x (3 x 50 kick r:10, 2 x 75 build on 1:15, 1 x 50 fast off of the blocks)

LOVED that set. It always surprises me how much those sets kick your butt if you work them. It took until the last 50 fast before I actually felt like I was moving fast and holding water. I still need to work on my turn over WHILE I hold water. I can spin with the best of them.

Long Beach is 2 weeks from Friday!?!

I'm swimming:

100 Free (Friday)

50 Fly (Saturday)
    50 Free (Saturday)

200 Free (Sunday)
    100 Fly (MAYBE Sunday)
    100 IM (Sunday)

The maybe comes from my utter lack of fly training and the fast that I really want to swim a good 200 free and I'm not sure I'll be recovered enough to not drown on the 100 fly.

I have been feeling fantastic in the water. I'm back to holding a good pace easily and I can tell I am sitting up higher in the water on free which is why I am stoked about the 200. I've done one or two good 200s in my life. The only one that actually comes to mind is the LCM 200 Free at LCM Nationals in 2008.

Tonight I am doing nothing. I am sore, achey and my back is pissy. Tomorrow it's back to the pool and pilates (hopefully with a short spurt on the treadmill)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Wednesday Nov 18th, 2009, Lifetime best 50 bk 23.02

by , November 18th, 2009 at 09:47 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wednesday Nov 18th, 2009

The [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=198158&postcount=1303"]SFF[/ame] Tip of the Day is [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=35157&postcount=140"]Tip 41 Get Truly Inspired[/ame]
    Which ones are your favorites?

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

FOUR OR MORE SDKs off EVERY wall

SCY
    5:30 - 6:30
    whitney coached
    dove in on time
    swam with nate brandon, & tyler, next to todd amy & ned

WORE briefs

Warm Up
    800 done 175 fr, 25 SDK underwater no breather

MAIN SET

assigned: 4 x 25 one each stroke fast
    did: 2 x 25 one easy one fast

assigned: 800
    did: 5 or 6 50's

assigned: 4 x 50 one each stroke fast, 30 sec to 1:00 rest after each
    did: a few easy

did: got out & took a hot shower

assigned: 4 x 75 one each stroke fast, 30 sec to 1:00 rest after each
    did: continued with my hot shower

did: hot shower & put on B70 full

200 - 250 in the suit to get used to it
    got out & rested 10 minutes

assigned: 100 fast for time
    DID:
    50 bk fast,
    roll start,
    whitney timed
    went 23.02
    (which is my lifetime best 50 bk practice time)

50 easy

MEETS:

Saturday, November 21 & Sunday 22, 2009
    University of the Incarnate Word (SCM) Masters Meet

4301 broadway san antonio texas
    3 Days till San Antonio

Entered:
    Saturday, November 21, 2009
    04 100 Individual Medley 1:00.99
    08 100 BR 1:12.9
    14 50 Breaststroke 32.99
    18 100 Backstroke 59.99
    plus 4 x 50 medley & 4 x 100 medley relays

Sunday, November 22, 2009
    26 200 Freestyle 2:06.99
    30 50 Backstroke 27.99
    34 100 Freestyle 54.99
    36 50 Butterfly 26.99
    plus 4 x 50 fr, 4 x 100 fr, & 4 x 200 fr relay

Probably won't swim all those individual events

December 4th - 6th, 2009
    2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships at
    Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

16 Days till Long Beach

Updated November 18th, 2009 at 12:22 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Tuesday and I'm a germophobe!

by , November 18th, 2009 at 09:05 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I missed my early morning swim, it was a good thing though since Sarah got called in to work and we didn't get to run!
    I ended up going to Nasti workout at FHS at 7:30 pm.
    Here's what we did:

*300 Free Swim stretch
    *200 Back smooth and stretch
    *100 Free 6 kick and roll drill
    *6 X 75 on 1:30 (75=kick/drill/swim) I did half free and half back
    *3 X 300 on 5:30
    1st 300-broken to 100's with 10 sec rest inbetween
    2nd 300-broken to 2 X 150 with 15 sec rest
    3rd Straight swim 300
    *6 X 100 on 1:45 (I did these especially hard! I felt proud for "going for it!")
    *200 ez free cool-down
    *200 Backstroke for fun! (I was trying to work on my wrong side turn. I hope I never have to do one of these in a meet since I'm likely to impale my cheek and dental areas on the sidewall.

I've been doing Speed Stacking in all my classes for a couple of weeks. All this H1N1 stuff is driving me crazy. Kids start running and working hard down here and cough, snot, slobber, and sweat all over. The cups were getting a sticky, yuk feeling to them so I stayed after school for 2.5 hours and sanitized all of them. Total cups=
    Regular Ones 36 sets of 12 (432), 4 sets of Super Stacks (weighted) (48), 8 sets of Mini's (84), and 8 sets of Maxi Stacks (practically buckets but only 6 per set) (48)
    OMG I sanitized 612 cups. This should qualify me for some type of "Community Service Award" or put me in the Luney Bin!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. The strength returned today!

by , November 18th, 2009 at 07:44 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Felt alot stronger after a good loose warm up. The more I swim the longer a warmup I need. Feel like I had some power today.

10x100@1:45 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 moderate
    5x100@1:45 Back kick w/fins fashion model drill

Main set straight thru
    2x100@1:35 Free w/paddles & bouy held 1:25's kept it long and loose here
    3x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy held 1:25's kept it long and loose here too
    3x100@1:25 Free w/paddles & bouy held 1:19's
    2x100@1:20 Free w/paddles & bouy went 1:15, 1:17

5x100@1:50 Fly w/fins went 1:35, 1:32, 1:32, 1:29, 1:26 not bad for long and loose fly

300 Free EASY recovery
    200 Free kick w/fins EASY

Total 4000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. 11*17*09 Tuesday

by , November 18th, 2009 at 01:45 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    AQUM (AQUA) UMHS

Pre-Warm - (on deck)
    Hold the plank for 1:00
    Easy arm swings and caterpillars.
    Warm- 600 (2x100FR, 100BK, 100BR, 200IM drill)
    Kick
    10x50 K on :45 w/fins
    Main
    5x100 BK 50drill-onearm/50 swim on 2:00
    5x100 BR 50drill-2kick/50swim on 2:15
    10x50 Fly 25 drill-Stanford/25 swim on 1:15
    Sprint
    20x25 FR on :45 (:15-:18) breath every 4th
    More Kick
    4x25 UW SDK BK :45 w/fins
    4x25 UW SDK fly :45 w/fins

cool 200

3500 SCY

Shoulders are getting better, now I can dig in a little harder. For now, I'm abstaining from weights and heavy dryland, focusing more on just swimming.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Weights

by , November 17th, 2009 at 09:04 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Warmed up with an 8:25 mile on the treadmill. After chatting with some folks for a bit, finally got started on my workout. Had to keep it short:

Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 12, 75 x 10, 85 x 8
    Lat pull-down: 120 x 12, 130 x 10, 140 x 8
    Alt. hammer curls: 2 sets of 15 x 15
    Triceps pull-downs: 2 sets of 40 x 15

Only got 5.5 hours of sleep last night, so kind of dead today. Had to ask my history teacher to repeat something he said. He knows I work hard, so took it with good humor and repeated what he had said.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Slightly Peeved, Tuesday, Nov. 17

by , November 17th, 2009 at 08:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Noon Hot Yoga:

Went to the noon hot yoga class. I'm getting ever so closer to touching my head to my toes in one of the final positions. I might close the last two inches in the next millenium ...

Commentary:

I'm feeling slightly peeved today:

My shoulder is still nagging me. (I'm fairly sure I just overdid it on the HS hi row a week or so ago with my new PR. When I tweak my shoulder, it usually takes a good 3 weeks for the symptoms to fade. It's not bad, just annoying and irritating and a constant reminder to do my damn boring RC exercises. I think this will force me to taper upper body weights now.)

I couldn't go to my team practice tonight b/c I had to drive my kid to her pm make up USA practice since high school tryouts were after school. I was pretty tired anyway though ...

GMU has apparently instituted a "no make up" policy for masters swimmers. This means that if official masters practice is cancelled or you can't make a regular practice, you can't go in during the 8-9 am or 12-2 pm lap swim hours to make it up. This seriously sucks, since the pool is regularly closed for meets on the weekend, thus obviating 50% of the regular practices. (None of the nighttime swimmers can or want to do make ups at 4:15 am.) And we get no rebate when our practices are summarily cancelled. This further sucks since the masters team helps subsidize the college team with our meets and fees. Irksome. A couple of us have complained to management, but their new policies (including pay in full in advance) seemed designed to drive (and in fact have driven) some of our masters swimmers away. I know a couple other team members that swim at 8-9 and they are fuming as well.

I just sent in my entries for NE Champs today, right before the deadline. Then, this afternoon, Mr. Fort just announced that he will be in Tucson on Dec. 11 when I leave. Since my other kids have sports practices and swim meets, this poses a logistical nightmare for me. Since he's been on a Patrick like traveling spree the past month, this is irksome. I am irked. Though I'm sure it will pass.

On the upside, I will still meet Pete for our Thursday sprint practice, but at OakMarr Rec Center instead.

NE Champs:

I entered the following events:

Saturday:

100 IM
    50 back
    50 free

There's only one event between the 50 back and 50 free (200 breast). But evil is slow mo and I'm sure there will be many heats of the 50 free.

Sunday:

50 fly
    100 back
    100 evil
    100 free

I intend to submit split requests for the 100 evil and 100 free.

I submitted my best times for every event except 100 evil and 100 free, since I will be dogging the second 50 on those. Actually, I submitted a faster 50 fly time, since my last time didn't count as official.

And on the issue of time trials not counting in masters, check the last paragraph of this out:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...news/22599.asp

I am now going to finish my motherly chores and sit and watch the MadMen episodes I missed this season ...

Updated November 17th, 2009 at 10:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  20. Rest Day

by , November 17th, 2009 at 07:58 PM (My Passion)
    Yesterday I decided to take today as my rest day. 'Slept in' until 6 a.m. Really sad that 6 a.m. is sleeping in for me. Woke up at 4:30 on my own, which is when I usually get up and Hubby had stolen all of my covers . Once warm, I was back to sleep and alarm awoke me from a dream at 6. Funny how I can be sleeping so deeply at a time when I have usually just completed swimming 2 miles.

Went to work. Worked. Got Flu shot. Neighbor called that my parents' Coonhound that I am dog-sitting had escaped, Went home to retrieve Coonhound, finished working from home. Parents picked up Coonhound. Read swimming forums. Posted to Blog.

Swimming days are always much more fun than rest days.
    Categories
    Uncategorized