View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Weights

by , November 17th, 2009 at 09:04 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Warmed up with an 8:25 mile on the treadmill. After chatting with some folks for a bit, finally got started on my workout. Had to keep it short:

Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 12, 75 x 10, 85 x 8
    Lat pull-down: 120 x 12, 130 x 10, 140 x 8
    Alt. hammer curls: 2 sets of 15 x 15
    Triceps pull-downs: 2 sets of 40 x 15

Only got 5.5 hours of sleep last night, so kind of dead today. Had to ask my history teacher to repeat something he said. He knows I work hard, so took it with good humor and repeated what he had said.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Slightly Peeved, Tuesday, Nov. 17

by , November 17th, 2009 at 08:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Noon Hot Yoga:

Went to the noon hot yoga class. I'm getting ever so closer to touching my head to my toes in one of the final positions. I might close the last two inches in the next millenium ...

Commentary:

I'm feeling slightly peeved today:

My shoulder is still nagging me. (I'm fairly sure I just overdid it on the HS hi row a week or so ago with my new PR. When I tweak my shoulder, it usually takes a good 3 weeks for the symptoms to fade. It's not bad, just annoying and irritating and a constant reminder to do my damn boring RC exercises. I think this will force me to taper upper body weights now.)

I couldn't go to my team practice tonight b/c I had to drive my kid to her pm make up USA practice since high school tryouts were after school. I was pretty tired anyway though ...

GMU has apparently instituted a "no make up" policy for masters swimmers. This means that if official masters practice is cancelled or you can't make a regular practice, you can't go in during the 8-9 am or 12-2 pm lap swim hours to make it up. This seriously sucks, since the pool is regularly closed for meets on the weekend, thus obviating 50% of the regular practices. (None of the nighttime swimmers can or want to do make ups at 4:15 am.) And we get no rebate when our practices are summarily cancelled. This further sucks since the masters team helps subsidize the college team with our meets and fees. Irksome. A couple of us have complained to management, but their new policies (including pay in full in advance) seemed designed to drive (and in fact have driven) some of our masters swimmers away. I know a couple other team members that swim at 8-9 and they are fuming as well.

I just sent in my entries for NE Champs today, right before the deadline. Then, this afternoon, Mr. Fort just announced that he will be in Tucson on Dec. 11 when I leave. Since my other kids have sports practices and swim meets, this poses a logistical nightmare for me. Since he's been on a Patrick like traveling spree the past month, this is irksome. I am irked. Though I'm sure it will pass.

On the upside, I will still meet Pete for our Thursday sprint practice, but at OakMarr Rec Center instead.

NE Champs:

I entered the following events:

Saturday:

100 IM
    50 back
    50 free

There's only one event between the 50 back and 50 free (200 breast). But evil is slow mo and I'm sure there will be many heats of the 50 free.

Sunday:

50 fly
    100 back
    100 evil
    100 free

I intend to submit split requests for the 100 evil and 100 free.

I submitted my best times for every event except 100 evil and 100 free, since I will be dogging the second 50 on those. Actually, I submitted a faster 50 fly time, since my last time didn't count as official.

And on the issue of time trials not counting in masters, check the last paragraph of this out:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...news/22599.asp

I am now going to finish my motherly chores and sit and watch the MadMen episodes I missed this season ...

Updated November 17th, 2009 at 10:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  3. Rest Day

by , November 17th, 2009 at 07:58 PM (My Passion)
    Yesterday I decided to take today as my rest day. 'Slept in' until 6 a.m. Really sad that 6 a.m. is sleeping in for me. Woke up at 4:30 on my own, which is when I usually get up and Hubby had stolen all of my covers . Once warm, I was back to sleep and alarm awoke me from a dream at 6. Funny how I can be sleeping so deeply at a time when I have usually just completed swimming 2 miles.

Went to work. Worked. Got Flu shot. Neighbor called that my parents' Coonhound that I am dog-sitting had escaped, Went home to retrieve Coonhound, finished working from home. Parents picked up Coonhound. Read swimming forums. Posted to Blog.

Swimming days are always much more fun than rest days.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Fathoming the Mysteries of Dolphin Kick

For several years the subways and buses here in New York City displayed bits of poetry among the ads in the cars. The project to civilize us transit riders was called “Poetry in Motion.” That’s been replaced with “Train of Thought,” which features though-provoking quotes from various authors. Someone had a lot of fun selecting ones suitable for this urban context. Reading the opening lines of “Metamorphoses”—“When Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from unsettling dreams, he found himself changed in his bed into a monstrous insect"—becomes even more creepy when you’re bleary-eyed and stuck in an underground tunnel during morning rush hour.

Today the subway train I took to the pool contained the Miranda quote from The Tempest: “O wonder! How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world, that has such people in it!” Seeing the quote made me ponder how apt a description that often was of lap swimming in Manhattan, especially if you omitted “goodly” and substituted something else for “beauteous.”

When I reached the pool today, though, everything was calm and peaceful. There was a steady stream of swimmers, but most everyone had their own lane. The water was too warm to do much aerobic work. Here’s what I did:

1000 warmup (400 S, 200 K, 200 P, 200 S)

Then I decided to play with my dolphin kick. I have sometimes heard dolphin kick described as making a sine wave with your body. However, if it were a perfect sine wave, it’s not clear how you would go anywhere, or why you would go forward rather than backwards. Clearly, some parts of the curve that your body makes—those that are facing in the direction you are traveling—are exerting more force on the water than others. To help think about this, I tried the following variations:

backwards dolphin kick (ie feet-first) on stomach: It’s possible, and the force seemed to come mostly from my arms, which I waved back and forth like fins, and a bit from my feet (I put them in the water pointed, then flexed them to draw water towards my body). I didn’t really feel like I was putting any useful force on the water with the rest of my body.

forwards dolphin kick on stomach: I tried to pay attention to which body parts were applying force on the water. Unsurprisingly, it seemed to be primarily the tops of my feet and my shins. I tried kicking harder, and could feel that I was also getting some propulsion from the bottom of my feet and the lower part of my calves on the upkick. I could not feel if my lower back was applying any useful force to the water, so I tried the next two variations to see if anything other than my lower legs was making me go forward.
    • dolphin kick with stiff legs: Here, I tried to keep my legs as stiff as possible while doing the same motions with my torso and arms that I had done of the previous kicking. I went forward, but fairly slowly. Then I tried

• dolphin kick with stiff legs and arms: I lay face-downward in the water and simply did the same contractions with my abs and back muscles that I use to generate my dolphin kick. I hardly moved forward at all on this one—after doing 8 or so contractions I had moved less than a foot. So the minimal propulsion I had generated in the previous exercise had probably come from my arm movements.
    Then I thought about what muscles I was actually using on fly, and where the kick was actually initiated. I have heard people say that you should generate the dolphin motion with your arms or with your chest, and I always assumed that some form of this is what I was doing, since my arms and chest did move when I did fly kick. However, when I did some
    • extra-long streamlined glides off the wall into dolphin kick and some

• fly kick after stationary float on stomach
      I realized that I was actually beginning the motion by contracting those muscles right below the navel that Pilates instructors are always telling you to pay attention to. I tried beginning the motion with my arms or chest, but could not figure out what muscles I was supposed to be using—no matter what I tried, I always ended up using my stomach to actually start the kick, and whatever I’d done before just felt like flailing.
    Then I decided to play with my arm position on my kick. When I did
    • dolphin kick on stomach with a tight streamline I felt like my locked arm position was limiting my range of motion by causing my back to arch. Then I did
    • dolphin kick on stomach with locked thumbs, which is how I usually kick on my stomach (hands are extended over my head and placed side by side, with just my thumbs crossed). This felt more powerful. Next I tried
    • dolphin kick on stomach with arms extended at shoulder width. I felt like I was getting even greater propulsion on each kick with this, but I also felt that my kick amplitude had grown a bit bigger and was causing me to become less streamlined.
    The middle version felt faster, but it would be useful to get someone to time me kicking all three ways. To finish up, I then did some
    • dolphin kick on back with arms in all three positions. Here, the full streamline felt the best. The slight hip pike I have when kicking on my back solved the back arching problem. Also, kicking on my back made me realize that some of the extra spinal range of motion I get from separating my hands in the prone position comes from being able to place them slightly in front of the plane of my body. Gravity keeps me from doing this when supine, since my hands get forced down to water level. To double check that theory, I tried
    • dolphin kick on my back with hands extended overhead and approximately 3 inches above water level. This did indeed feel more like the third version of prone dolphin kick, but was difficult because it made my body sink.
    I didn’t end up having any amazing aha moments with all this dolphin kick experimentation, but it was fun and gave me some insight into what I’m actually doing when I kick. I plan to watch some videos of good swimmers dolphining to see if that sparks any ideas about what I can do to improve.

Then it was time to actually do a swim set:
    4 times through:
    {50 FR Kick @ 1:00
    {50 ST Kick @ 1:10
    {50 ST Sprint, building turnover @ :50
    {100 easy FR @ 1:30
    I did BR for rounds 1-2 and BK for rounds 3-4.

Then a 400 warmdown, stretching, and a beautiful bus ride home!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. A few fast 50's

by , November 17th, 2009 at 04:46 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    11/17/09

SCY, with Carrie

400 free
    300 kick rev IM order by 75's
    6 x 50 drill/swim on 55
    (did 2x fly-back-free)
    200 pull free breathe 3/5 by 50
    (w/p&b)

swim 2 sets of 10 x 50 on 1:00: #4, 7, and 10 are fast;
    set 1 is all free,
    (went 32± on the fast ones, 37-40 on the rest)
    took 1:00 rest between rounds
    set 2, the fast ones are non-free
    {did fly (36), back (36), fly (38) on fast ones, between 40-45 on the others}
    100 easy

kick 2 sets of 4 x 25 on 45:
    set 1 w/MF,
    (on back, went 15->12)
    set 2 w/o fins;
    (free w/board, went 24->19, this set left my thighs burning!!)
    descend each set to all out

200 swim down
    --
    Total: 2700 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Yeah, a workout I enjoyed!!!!

I was late ... my bed was warm and comfy and I didn't want to get up.

W/U:
    400 Free
    6 x 75 descend
    50 ez

Main-Set
    40 x 25
    1-32 all on :40

1-4 DPS
    5-8 Descend
    9-12 Fast
    13-16 Fast
    17-20 DPS
    21-24 Descend
    25-28 Fast
    29-32 Fast

33-36 on :30
    37-40 on :20

100 EZ

LOVED getting speed work in. Took several 25s before I was getting them to :15 and under consistently. I definitely need to do more of this in the next 2 weeks. I'm getting pysched for Long Beach!!!

Weight circuit and running tonight before coaching.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Tuesday Nov 17th, 2009

by , November 17th, 2009 at 11:03 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tuesday Nov 17th, 2009

The [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=198158&postcount=1303"]SFF[/ame] Tip of the Day is [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=33976"]Tip 05 ACTING AS IF[/ame]
    Which ones are your favorites?

Act as if you already are what you most want to be.

WEIGHTS at world gym san marcos
    lat press 6 x 40 6 x 45 6 x 50 5 x 55 4 x 60
    lat pull 6 x 167 5 x 207 4 x 217
    bench press 6 x 135 5 x 185 3 x 205
    leg press 6 x 230 6 x 310
    (left thigh hurt a little, I'm done with leg weights)

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

FOUR OR MORE SDKs off EVERY wall

SCY
    6:30 - 8:00
    whitney coached
    dove in on time
    swam with jon mike & paul
    next to tyler todd larry & ned

WORE briefs

Warm Up
    100 sw
    50 k
    100 sw
    50 non free

MAIN SET

assigned: drop down 50 set, start at 1:00, drop interval by 1 sec each round
    did: 5 correctly,
    then did 50 easy speed, 50 skip till around :44,
    then did 50 easy speed, skip 2 x 50
    went 27's & 8's on easy speed, 5 - 7 SDKs

100 easy

assigned: 40 x 25 on :30, 10 each stroke, 4 mod 1 fast
    did: 8 rounds of 2 easy, 2 skip, 1 fast from a dive, Raced Mike Varozza on the fast ones

50 easy

MEETS:

MEET:

Saturday, November 21 & Sunday 22, 2009
    University of the Incarnate Word (SCM) Masters Meet

4301 broadway san antonio texas
    4 Days till San Antonio

Entered:

Saturday, November 21, 2009
    04 100 Individual Medley 1:00.99
    08 100 BR 1:12.9
    14 50 Breaststroke 32.99
    18 100 Backstroke 59.99
    plus 4 x 50 medley & 4 x 100 medley relays

Sunday, November 22, 2009
    26 200 Freestyle 2:06.99
    30 50 Backstroke 27.99
    34 100 Freestyle 54.99
    36 50 Butterfly 26.99
    plus 4 x 50 fr, 4 x 100 fr, & 4 x 200 fr relay

Probably won't swim all those individual events

December 4th - 6th, 2009
    2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships at
    Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

17 Days till Long Beach

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ THOUGHTS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I've modified my SDK this season,
    + worked on BELLY SDKs, they feel way better & have gotten much faster,
    + pushing off harder
    + streamlining tighter,
    + holding upper body stiller,
    + decreased kick amplitude &
    + increased kick frequency

Updated November 17th, 2009 at 12:21 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  8. Curious strength differences

by , November 17th, 2009 at 08:44 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just did not feel any strength again today but times seemed about normal. You can see the differnce in the strength between the right and left arm, the funny thing is I am right handed so I would think the right arm would be faster but it is not.

5x100@2:00 Free pull to kick
    5x100@1:45 as 50 Free/50 Back
    5x100@1:30 Free kick w/fins held 1:25's
    500 Fly kick w/fins vary the positions by 100
    2x500@8:00 Free w/paddles & bouy went 6:56 & 6:41
    5x50@1:05 Free right arm only w/paddle
    5x50@1:00 Free left arm only w/paddle
    500 Free Easy

Total 4000 yards

Updated November 17th, 2009 at 03:34 PM by Donna (correction to a distance)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Monday, November 16

by , November 17th, 2009 at 12:20 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Pool was a little warm (85 degrees), but got the workout in:

600 easy - mix of free and breast pull

Continuous set (did all free):

2 x 25 on :45 - sprint
    2 x 50 on :45
    2 x 100 on 1:30
    2 x 200 on 2:45
    2 x 25 on :30
    2 x 50 on 1:30 sprint (held 28)
    2 x 100 on 1:30
    2 x 25 on :30
    2 x 50 on :45
    2 x 100 on 3:00 - (held 1:02, 1:03)

3 x (4 x 25 blind-man drills)

10 jumps - 15 sec. rest - 15 jumps - `15 sec. rest - 10 jumps

150 easy

3,300 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Girly Man vs. Manly Girl: the Poll

by , November 16th, 2009 at 10:52 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton View Post
    There was a famous psychology experiment done a number of years ago, the particulars of which are somewhat fuzzy in my mind.

But the gist of it was something like this:

The researchers provided twelve subjects with two squares. Objectively speaking, one of these was slightly but nevertheless demonstrably and provably larger than the other one. They then asked the twelve volunteers to discuss amongst themselves and vote on which one was bigger.

What one of the twelve volunteers did not know is that the other eleven were in on the scheme. They had previously been told by the researchers to maintain, calmly and rationally, that the smaller square was, in fact, larger than the big one.

When the discussion began, the "dupe" invariably thought that the others were all joking when they maintained the small square was larger than the bigger one. But over time, the dupe just as invariably came to agree with the others that they were right.

Follow-up interviews later revealed that the dupe, who had been persuaded to ignore the evidence of his or her own eyes, was not just pretending to go along with the herd to be sociable or to avoid conflict. He or she actually became convinced the small one was larger than the big one.

Group think, in other words, trumped rationality. The human tendency to fit in with our peers is so strong that it easily overwhelms our "intelligent" faculties.

I am sure most of you will have no trouble identifying this aspect of our species in a host of different realms, from religious and political nutcasedom, to the ability of aging swimmers to downplay the role of B70s in their racing performance.

As my poll figures continue to slip towards flat lining vis a vis my thoroughly rational suggestion that science has failed to validate weightlifting as a panacea for swimming performance, it occurs to me that this whole thread is nothing but one elaborate experiment!

Admit it! One of our swimming Ph.D. candidates, in search of a perfect thesis topic, has somehow managed to put the USMS membership up to this! Reveal yourself, rascal! I am now on to your fiendish tricks!

I may be the intended dupe, but I am no dupe!

And on this note, I shall continue with my own recently launched weight lifting regimen. But I have no illusions this will help my swimming, though I am cautiously optimistic it might behoove my pathetic pickle jar opening capabilities.
    Just trying out a new icon I saw on the threads today. The above is a post, and possibly my final word, though not definitely my final word, on the subject of weight lifting and swimming performance.

Leslie and I wrote she said/he said arguments about this topic for the Nov. issue of Swimmer.

If you want to read the rest of the thread, you can find it at [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=198872#post198872"]Girly Man vs. Manly Girl: the Poll - Page 6 - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

Most of it is sort of unpersuasive blather. If you skip all the posts by muscleheads and stick pretty much entirely with what I wrote on the subject, you will get a very intelligent and balanced overview.

Good day!

PS At the risk of seeming just a wee bit paranoid, I wonder if the Ph.D. candidate who arranged to skew the poll results for his thesis might also be the one who has been giving my vlog 1 * ratings, most likely for yet another nefarious experiment on corrosion of the human psyche.

Time to begin perusing the aberrant psychiatric literature with a bit more of an eye towards clue identification.

PS

Tonight was probably my best practice performance in recent memory:

800 on 11:00 warm up
    200 kick on 4:00 "

10 x 100 on 1:20
    5 x 100 on 1:15
    8 x 100 on 1:20
    4 x 100 on 1:10

1 x 100 cool down

I drafted off my superiors but made everything with the possible exception of the 3rd 100 on 1:10.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. monday

by , November 16th, 2009 at 10:28 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I skipped swimming to take a run with Sarah. (my youngest of 3) She hasn't ran a step since XC ended 3 weeks ago. She tends to like to take run shorter runs, but way faster than I'd choose to go these days. We only went 25 minutes through the golf course behind my house but I was sucking wind and hanging on by a thin thread. She wants to go again tomorrow after school....so I'm getting up at 4:45 am to swim before school so I can accomodate her desire to run with me. She is graduating from HS this December and moving to Florida to attend U of South Florida. I am trying to spend any minute with her that she will give me cause I know it will soon end. I don't know how long my bum knee will tolerate this but I'm going to "go for it" and hope for the best!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Monday practice with toys

by , November 16th, 2009 at 09:01 PM (My Passion)
    Monday morning 5 a.m. -
    1X 1500 free - fins and paddles
    1X50 fly
    1X50 breast
    1X50 breast kick
    500 dolphin kick (100 each of belly, left side, right side, back, belly)
    1X500 fly with fins 3-3-2 stroke
    1X200 free - fins and paddles
    4X25 fly sprints with fins on 30
    1X100 slow kick

Mailed in meet entry SCM this weekend:
    Saturday:
    400 free (1st time to swim in a meet)
    50 free
    50 breast
    Sunday:
    200 breast (1st time to swim in a meet)
    100 free
    50 fly

Tomorrow will be my rest day since there is a meet this weekend and since I have not taken a day off since lastTuesday. This will give me more sleep tonight since last night's storm kept the dog up and her nails clicked on my wood floor until I locked her out of my room. The coonhound that I am babysitting again slept through the storm. He is a good boy.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Core + Recovery Swim, Monday, Nov. 16

by , November 16th, 2009 at 05:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

This morning I was back and forth from my little one's school, so I didn't have time to hit the gym. So, I did the P90X Core Synergistic Workout (60 minutes) and the Ab Ripper (15 minutes). I was forced to take a break halfway through the first one.

Core Synergistic:

Here are the 20 exercises on the P90X Core Synergistic workout:

I marked the ones I liked best with an *. However, the hardest exercises were the sphinx push ups, prison cell push ups, and the combo plank-chatarunga moves. These would be great exercises, but they're not so much for me with a creaky left shoulder. If you have no shoulder issues, they look fabulous. In general, the workout is pretty good because there are numerous exercises and all the core muscles are worked (mostly simultaneously with complex movements). The downside is that there is some injury potential for those with shoulder or lower back issues. I've seem comments on the internet that it is "very hard." Not so -- there are some tough moments, but it's not overwhelming.

1. Stacked foot/Staggered Hands pushup*: One hand forward one back, one foot on top of the other--do 5 pushups and switch sides until you can't anymore

2. BananaRoll: Start on back with legs and arms extended 6-12 inches off floor-hold for 5, roll onto side hold for 5, roll onto back hold for 5....Keep going!

3. Leaning Crescent Lunges:Lunge forward at 45 degree angle while extending your arm in one straight line with your back leg holding dumbells.

4. Squat run: Squat position with one leg in front, holding dumbells moving your arms back and forth like you are running--switch legs.

5. Sphinx Pushups: Rest on forearms elbows under shoulders. Press up off forearms until arms are straight. Great lat exercise.

6. Bow to Boat*: 5 seconds in bow flip over 5 seconds in Boat, repeat

7. Plank to Chatarunga run: While in plank run your knees in for 10 seconds then go down to a chat positions and do a fast type of crawl while hovering!!

8. Walking Pushups: I did this on the hardwood part of our basement. Get in plank with your toes on a towel and walk with your hands 4 counts forward and back keep repeating for a minute.

9. Superman/Banana:* Alternating Superman and then roll onto your belly for arms and legs off floor position/ Go back and forth

10. Low lateral skaters:* Slowly shifting side to side in a deep lunge while lifting your straight leg at the end of the movement

Lunge and Reach*-With weight in hand reach down to front leg as if you are lifting something off of the floor, then reach up and twist as though you are putting it on a shelf. 30 seconds on each side. This is essentially a easier, lower weight, higher rep version of the twisting squat swing I do with a 25 pound plate.

11. Lunge-Kickback-Curl and Press: 20 reps. Tough total body movement provided you use adequate weight.

12. Reach High and Under Pushups:* Combine standard pushup then a sideplank from sideplank reach under like a pilates twist and repeat. Very tough. Oddly, side planks don't hurt my shoulders as much as regular planks.

13. Prison Cell Pushup:
    From standing bend forward to plank do a pushup bring your right knee in and out, do another pushup, bring left knee in and out do another pushup, do third pushup and jump back to standing.

14. Side hip raise:* Lying on sideresting on forearm. Lift hips up off of the floor and lower them. Do a bunch on each side.

15. Squat X press: Holding weights do plie squats while you are performing a wide shoulder press to that your body forms and X. 30 reps. Pretty easy, would be harder with more weight.

16. Steam Engine: Standing knee to elbow crunches-50 reps

17. Dreya Roll:* From standing squat down, roll onto your back, kick legs straight up in the air, almost like a pilates control balance move, and roll forward coming to standing again. To make it harder, instead of just standing up do either: (1) a squat jump, (2) a split leg jump, (3) jump and twirl.

18. Plank to Chaturanga Iso: Alternate 10 second counts between plank and chat position. Hard

19. Halfback-Agility moves simulating going through football tire drills 60 sec. Easy.

20. Table dip/Leg raise:* Get yourself into a yoga table. Raise one leg in the air keeping hips up, and do tricep dips changing after 5 reps. 60 seconds

Ab Ripper:

Still like this DVD with the exception of the Fifer Scissors. I used my ab wheel and did long arm crunches during these.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Only swam for 40 minutes today. Went to the pool late and got kicked out by the high school swim team tryouts. That's OK, my legs were fried, so I just did the following recovery swim:

Warm up:

600 variety

25s:

4 x 25 shooters
    4 x 25 easy speed fly
    4 x 25 shooters
    4 x 25 alternate fast evil & EZ swim
    4 x 25 shooters
    4 x 25 easy speed fly
    4 x 25 shooters
    4 x 25 shooters
    4 x 25 shooters

I did belly, back and twirling shooters.

Total: 1700 yards

5 minutes in the hottub.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Didn't feel all that bad after my exercise mania yesterday -- until I hopped in the pool and tried to kick. Thus, I did all the shooters on cruiser speed. I think I'll give the legs a break tomorrow in the pool if I can. I'm tentatively planning on hot yoga and my team practice tomorrow night.
  14. Monday, Monday...

by , November 16th, 2009 at 04:41 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    11/16/09

SCY, solo during lunch break

swim 200 free
    swim 100 back
    kick 200 rev IM order
    drill 200 IM

swim 6 x 50 build on :55 choice
    (alternated free and back)

swim 5 times around choice:
    {
    3 x 50 kick w/10 sec. rest
    (kicked whatever stroke I did on 25's. free and fly w/ board)
    pull 2 x 75 w/20 sec. rest breathe 3/5/3 by 25
    (did 1 & 5 back w/buoy only, around 1:05; 2-4 free w/p&b, around 1:00)
    take an extra 20 sec.
    25 fast off blocks, float back nice and easy
    (did #1 & 5 back, around 16; #2 & 4 free, around 14; #3 fly, around 15)
    }

swim down 200

Total: 2950 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Sunday November 15, 2009

I tried hot yoga. I did not like it. I am still recovering. I think IF I ever did it again I would do a few things differently. I do not like being crazy hot so why I though I would like this is beyond me. It was a good stretch and I am sore but I will stick to cold yoga (or try) from now on. BLECH!!! Hotter than Hades does not a happy FlyQueen make.

I swam after, too.

I seriously felt so sick the rest of the day and this morning that I skipped out on practice.

Sunday's swim:

300 swim
    200 kick
    200 pull
    200 IM Drill
    4 x 75 (50 drill/25 swim) fl, fr, br, fr

5 x 200
    1 - swim
    2 - pull
    3 - pull with paddles
    4 - pull
    5 - swim
    Did these nice and easy

4 x 100 kick IM order

4 x 25 on :45 FAST IM order

400 ez c/d
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. easy Monday morning swim with team

I swam with my team this morning at Baruch College, the venue for Saturday's meet. I was glad to get another opportunity to swim in a SCM pool in order to check my backstroke turns and finishes with the 5M flags. I also scouted out the pool and nearby areas to picture where I might find a quiet place away from the action if I need it during the meet.

Since I'm still coddling my arm (bicep tendonitis--much better today), I modified the main freestyle set. I replaced some of the moderate FR swims with some fast BK into and out of walls to practice my turns, and some BR turns in a slow/med/fast progression. I also got to practice a few starts at the end of workout--I did 2 backstroke and 2 freestyle. They weren't perfect, but they were pretty good, and I don't think I need to do much more start work before my meet.

(One thing that I've noticed when watching international meets on tv is that some backstrokers grab onto vertical bars rather than horizontal bars on the starting blocks when they set themselves. International blocks seem to have extra places to place your hands. I would like to try starting with my hands positioned perpendicular to the water rather than horizontally. I played around with the blocks this morning to see if it was possible, but the only vertical parts of the block were positioned too far apart. I'll keep looking when I go to different pools and see if I can find some suitable ones, though.)

All told, I swam about 3200 meters, with a lot of good quality work on small pieces of races.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Monday Nov 16th, 2009

by , November 16th, 2009 at 09:55 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Monday Nov 16th, 2009

MEET:

Saturday, November 21 & Sunday 22, 2009
    University of the Incarnate Word (SCM) Masters Meet

4301 broadway san antonio texas
    5 Days till San Antonio

Entered:

Saturday, November 21, 2009
    04 100 Individual Medley 1:00.99
    08 100 BR 1:12.9
    14 50 Breaststroke 32.99
    18 100 Backstroke 59.99
    plus 4 x 50 medley & 4 x 100 medley relays

Sunday, November 22, 2009
    26 200 Freestyle 2:06.99
    30 50 Backstroke 27.99
    34 100 Freestyle 54.99
    36 50 Butterfly 26.99
    plus 4 x 50 fr, 4 x 100 fr, & 4 x 200 fr relay

Probably won't swim all the individual events

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

FOUR OR MORE SDKs off EVERY wall

SCY
    5:30 - 6:30
    whitney coached
    dove in on time
    swam with mike & tyler
    next to todd & ned

WORE briefs

Warm Up
    2 rounds of 200fr 150 100k 50 IM
    went 1:13 & 1:10 on the 100's k

assigned: 2 x 500
    did 2 x (5 x 50) 6 or more SDKs off each wall

assigned 5 x 200 desc
    did 5 x (2 x 50)

assigned 10 x 100, 4 aerobic 1 fast kick
    did 5 x 50

changed into B70 legs

50 bk
    flip start
    tyler timed
    poor pushoff & turn
    went 25.8

MEETS:

December 4th - 6th, 2009
    2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships at
    Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

17 Days till Long Beach

Updated November 16th, 2009 at 12:20 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Swim Meet

by , November 16th, 2009 at 09:44 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Saturday, 11/14/09

Went to Salt Lake City UT for a Masters meet at the South Davis Recreation Center. Very nice pool.

Warm up with a mix of swimming, kicking, and drilling. Did a few 50 builds then 2 fast 25's off the blocks followed by about 5 minutes of easy swimming. Total around 1000 y.

1st event: 200 backstroke - 2:39.35
    This felt pretty good and I was a bit disappointed with the time which was about 3 sec slower than my best.
    Splits were 37.75-40.68-41.03-39.89.

2nd event: 50 fly - :32.52
    Way slow!!! felt like I was spinning the whole way.

3rd event: 100 free - 1:04.04
    WTF!!! a practice time!

4th event: 50 back - 33.72
    Another practice time!

I haven't been doing speed work and it shows. Another meet this coming weekend in Boise Idaho. A dual sanction meet with the kids. Should be fun. Hope my times are a little faster. Will do basically the same events except will do 100 back instead of 200.

Total yardage with warmup, races and swimdowns - 2400 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Looking For Earmarks

by , November 16th, 2009 at 09:22 AM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it.
    -George W. Bush

This coming Sunday night is the next club Board of Directors meeting where the meet budget will (hopefully) be approved. This year the sequence of the meet planning is out of whack. Normally in the past, the meet budget is first submitted to the board for approval, then the meet entry and fees are sent in for sanction.

The 2010 budget projects a profit a little higher than last year's. I sent the budget to the board for approval last week expecting an OK. Not. A board meeting was scheduled for Sunday night. The board now wants to take a closer look, - I think they are searching for pork and earmarks to cut.

This year, the board is busy playing catch up: making decisions on things that have already happened, or putting out fires. The meet was a long way off at the last board meeting in September, so no directors were thinking about it with the fires burning. (You can tell that I am not on the board.) It was noted at the meeting that we need a meet director assigned in order to get the meet sanctioned, in order to get it publicized. Since I brought up the subject and there was little time to do a professional executive search, I got expediently assigned meet director for 2010.

Our budget is simply a list of projected income and expenses. The amounts are based on our past experiences. This year we budget 155 swimmers entering 3.5 events, buying 45 tee shirts. I predict that the tee shirt sales may be down from previous meets due of economic belt-tightening. The average events entered per swimmer has been about 3.5 events. (I would count my 200-IM as .5 event.) The number of swimmers has climbed steadily after taking a year off for pool renovations:
    - 2004 - 113 entries / 34 tee shirts sold
    - 2005 - 155 / 49 tees (snowstorm year)
    - 2006 (pool closed)
    - 2007 - 142 / 51 tees
    - 2008 - 146 / 51 tees
    - 2009 - 167 / 56 tees

The entry fee is based on expenses that we would incur if we had to cancel the meet and send refunds. Generally, it covers pool rental, food, postage for refunds, and some rental of equipment. However, if the cancellation is due to weather, the pool rental, the biggest expense, might be refunded by the county.

The event fee is just what we want to charge based on going rates, and covers other expenses such as awards, officials, and profit. Since we don't have the best facility in the region, we keep it at $5. (That facility inferiority complex keeps coming through this blog, or maybe it's jealousy and envy.) If the meet was cancelled, these fees would be refunded to swimmers.

We borrow the sound system, starting system, lap counter cards, chairs, and some stopwatches. In the first meet, each organization doing the lending (high school swim team and local swim teams) received a $30 donation from us as a thank you. This has become traditional, although the practice went overboard last year. We budgeted four organizations lending equipment. Meet workers couldn't secure all the equipment from each source as planned (or in time), so on their own went to several others. The end result was that we borrowed equipment from a lot more sources, requiring a lot more $30 checks after the meet.

BOOK OF WISDOM
    Budget.

Updated November 16th, 2009 at 09:31 AM by Rnovitske

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. No power today, arms of rubber

by , November 16th, 2009 at 07:23 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My arms felt like rubber on this one, felt like I lost my feel for the water. I decided to use one of Bobinators workouts for a change of pace of course it has been Donnaized. Thanks Robin.

700 Free
    200 Fly kick w/fins on back
    6x100@2:00 choice I did back
    300 Fly kick w/fins mix up the positions no board
    6x75@1:15 as 50 Free/25 Choice I did Fly
    250 Free relaxed
    5x50@(1:00,:55,:50,:45) Free w/paddles & bouy
    call to wake up son here
    5x50@(:55,:50,:45,:40) Free w/paddes & bouy
    200 Free relaxed
    300 Free kick w/fins

Total 3500 yards