View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Saturday

by , November 14th, 2009 at 11:25 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I did a quick workout at Fisher's High School with 6 other Nasti's.
    *200 Free stretch out
    *200 Drill Free (100 6 kick and roll/100 Catch up drill)
    *2 X 100 Back (build to fast last 25)
    *4 X 200 free on 3:30 steady till last 50 burst
    *8 X 100 on 2:00 (75 Free-10 sec rest and sprint last 25 stroke)
    *4 X 50 IM order (25 stroke/25 free)
    *8 X 25 Breath Control on :40--I think everyone did underwaters except me. I sprinted and took limited breaths.
    * easy 100 free and out!
    2,700 yds.

I just got back from a party celebrating "Indy Runner's" 30th Anniversary. Nice party but mostly young folks. I recognized and talked to 5 or 6 people from my running era.
    They put a neat slide show together from the 80's. I saw myself a couple of times.
    Modern day runners are very different from their older counter-parts. Much lower key and participation orientated as opposed to the hard core preformance we tried to achieve. A 30 yr. old who is trying to qualify for Boston by (3:40 or faster) freaked out when I told her I had to go under 3:10 the 1st time I qualified and did it.
    They have significantly watered down Boston qualifications in the last 15 years. I think they want their numbers over 10,000 or something. I personally feel anyone who is much slower than 4 hours in a marathon should concentrate on getting faster in shorter distances and save the marathoning for the stronger days that will follow.
    Races that last over 4 hours are extremely difficult to man with volunteers. It's also difficult (and costly) to shut streets down for hours at a time.
    While I think it's somewhat courageous for folks who don't train properly to try a marathon I think in the long term it will ruin, and maybe bannish the sport from exsistance.
    Okay................back to swimming.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 3000 POSTAL

I tweaked my back a bit on thursday while carrying a couple of 500lb granite slabs up a short stair run with a tight landing. My lead install man has left to pursue a career as a recording engineer (that bastard!) and has left us short in that dept. Even with all the wheels and levers available to us, sometimes things just have to be man-handled and I (reluctantly) am just the man to do it. Maybe Jazz and Fort would care to add granite hauling to their lifting routines??? (call me guys!)
    .......but I digress.....
    So I needed some work and scheduled an acupuncture session at noon. I don't know how many needles were poked in my upper back, but there were many and I could feel my muscles twitching throughout the 30 minute session.... Katie had some Astor Piazzolla cd playing; I love tango music.

I took a long hot shower and a little nap before masters.

The pool was really cloudy tonight and only 2 of us showed up to swim. Coach Dan agreed to keep time.

I felt ok after a warm-up that consisted of a 500, 3x 100, and 4x 50 trying to find that easy sustainable pace, and was ready to go.

Dan asked what the plan was and I responded with a shrug and "1:12's would be 36 minutes" we agreed that if I fell off this pace he would do something to alert me, (I don't know what he would do that could make me swim faster, but anyway... it was a plan)
    We have a very nice digital clock that is easily visible to left breathers. I am a dominant left breather and can easily keep track of my pace, so Dan was really only useful to record my splits.... sorry Dan.

GO... and I feel good at 14 SPL..... 1st 100 @1:03... too fast... settle down... 2:12 @ 200yds, thats better... only 15 more of those. 5:39 @ 500yds ... not bad, I suffered through a "fast" 500 at the end of practice last night and only managed a 5:43 (1/6th of the way home... hold steady) 11:25 @ the 1000 mark, one third down, 2/3rds to go... 80 lengths... 66% ... at least I don't have Hey Jude stuck in my head (damn! now I do!.. naaa naaa naaa na n' na naaa etc ad infinitum). 1650 - 18:57 (a personal best!) 15SPL now. 2000 - 23:02 na n' na naaa.
    I go to 16SPL, keeping it light 'till the end.
    3000 @ 34:40.9

I'm thinking about the 6000 for tomorrow......
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. A normal Saturday with the kids

by , November 14th, 2009 at 08:04 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today I swam with Sandra, McKaylin and Juan. We added alittle challenge today.

5x100@1:45 Free
    20 reps on stretch cords
    20x25 Fly Drills
    20 reps on stretch cords
    20x25 Back Drills
    20 reps on stretch cords
    20x25 Free Drills
    a batch of ants took over our area so we had to skip the last set since Sandra and I both got bitten. Yes this was inside.
    20x25 Breast Drills
    5x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy

Total 2000 yards

Updated November 15th, 2009 at 09:28 PM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. and the winner is . . .

Over the years Iíve amassed a something of a collection of meet suits, so today I held auditions to see which would be my meet suit for next Saturdayís meet. Here are the contenders:

The Magic Suit: Ah, my B70. Itís fast, and itís by far the latest and greatest I own in technical swimwear. It even makes butterfly feel easy. By all rights this one should win hands down, but Iím not so sure it will. For starters, itís really a pain to get on. (The donning gloves pictured below help.)

Once on, itís, well, not pretty. This isnít a problem just with B70s, but with most of the latest generation of tech suits. We were headed in the right direction with the introduction of pink and turquoise suits (and even the LZRs that the 2008 US Olympic team wore, hideous though they were, were a nod towards the need to create something better than a vast expanse of black rubber). But FINA has stopped the evolution of full-body suit aesthetics right in its tracks. Iím sure that, given a few more years, swimming would have caught up with some other sports where athletes wear variations of unitards, like downhill skiing

or figure skating :

In addition to the tech-suit ugliness factor, I donít love wearing my B70 outside of the water. Itís hot, it makes me fidgety, and thereís always that nagging worry that a seam will come undone at an inopportune moment, a la Ricky Berens. In short, I tend to fret when Iím wearing this suit, and fretful is the opposite of how I want to feel at meets. Thatís why my B70 is feeling some stiff competition this season from

The Amazing Technicolor Dream Suit:

This Japanese Asics suit combines a bit of everythingóbright floral patterns over the breasts, black and grey pinstripes in much of the body, brilliant purple panels on the waist, all highlighted by neon pink straps and stitching. Given that I donít attend awards shows involving red carpets, where else will I get to wear a garment with all that? I used this suit in a couple of meets last spring and swam well in it. It does dip a little lower in the back than I like, and could be a bit tighter in the chest, but overall I feel comfortable and happy wearing it.

Tyr Aquapel knee suit:

I picked up a couple of these at a steep discount during the summer. Iíve not yet used one in a meet, but I did wear one in August at the Lake Placid 2-mile cable swim and found it very comfortable. The navy-with-orange-piping version matches my team swim cap perfectly. The suit is tight enough to get some compression advantage out of it, though not as much as with the B70 or my fastskin. The band at the bottom of the leg doesnít seem too constricting. When I try this suit on I like the way it looksóI feel tall and streamlined in it, like the Chrysler building.

The Old Standbys: I have a Japanese Speedo knee suit that is black with orange and yellow flames along the sides. It has been a good and faithful meet suit, but has gotten pretty stretched out and should probably be retired. I also have an original Fastskin full-body suit that is in fairly good shape. I like wearing it, but dislike squeezing into it.

So, what to wear? Iíve never swum a SCM meet in my B70, and itís probably now or never for that. However, the goals Iím most focused on this season involve bettering my own times that Iíve swum in my current age group, so maybe itís better to stick to a knee suit or the Fastskin, and compare apples to apples. Also, the process as well as the results is important for me at meets, so how happy and comfortable I will feel wearing my suit, both between events and while swimming in it, matters.

Taking all this into account, here are the winners:

Second runner-up: B70
    First runner-up: Asics purple kneesuit
    Meet suit: Tyr Aquapel kneesuit

(Iím also awarding Miss Congeniality to my beloved Speedo flames suit.)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Saturday Nov 14th, 2009

by , November 14th, 2009 at 01:56 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Saturday Nov 14th, 2009

following Berlin World Cup?

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

FOUR OR MORE SDKs off EVERY wall

SCY
    7:30 - 9:00
    whitney coached
    dove in on time
    swam with jon, tyler, & max
    next to paul, sharon, & Desiree Ficker who placed 10th overall in the NYC marathon 2:39:30
    dick nichols pool

WORE B70 legs

Warm Up
    did around 500

MAIN SET

20 x 50 on 1:15
    5 rounds of
    1) kick fast for time dive
    2) EASY
    3) swim fast for time dive
    4) EASY
    k / sw
    1) 28, missed swim to put on B70 legs
    2) 25, 25
    3) 28, 25
    4) 27, 25
    5) 24.5, (swam easy 75, did 50 fr fast from blocks went 22.2)
    REALLY LIKED THIS SET

assigned: 1000 fr pull
    did: some of it maybe 400

think there was another set here
    don't remember

assigned: 7 x 100
    3 on fast int, 1 easy, 3 on fast int
    did: 25 easy 50 rest, 25 SDK fast

50 EASY

MEETS:

Saturday, November 21 & Sunday 22, 2009
    University of the Incarnate Word (SCM) Masters Meet

6 Days till San Antonio

December 4th - 6th, 2009
    2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships at
    Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

19 Days till Long Beach
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Thursday/Friday

by , November 13th, 2009 at 10:48 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Thursday night I bagged swimming. I decided to go Friday instead and do a longer workout on my own.
    So I went home, had a glass of chard, relaxed, did light house cleaning, and made some home cut crisp fresh french fries in deep fried oil! Wow, I love these decadent greasy treats.
    The only exercise I got was running around all day at work (that's alot really!).

Friday I reported to LA Fitness directly after work. I did the following modified Mo Chambers workout:
    *200 free stretch it out (rest 20 sec)
    *200 free good tempo (rest 30 sec)
    *5 X 150 (50 4 kick and roll drill, 75 moderate swim, 25 sprint) rest 20 seconds between each.
    *4 X (300--200--100)
    300's all freestyle pace building-rest "30
    200's-1st one swim 150 free/kick 50
    2nd one swim 100 free/kick 100
    3rd one swim 50/kick 150
    4th one Kick 200
    100's-1st one free, last 3 backstroke hard.

3,500 scy--I liked this workout. I will do more from this file!

This week-end and Tuesday we will be swimming at Fisher's HS pool due to swim meets at Noblesville. I love this pool so I really don't care. It's a new (4 yrs) beautiful indoor 50 meter long, 10 lanes wide with a moveable bulkhead. The bottom is sort of rag painted deep turquoise; it reminds me of swimming in the sea!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Yeah Friday

by , November 13th, 2009 at 07:50 PM (My Passion)
    5 am practice this morning. Swaim with Karen. There was a fast guy I had never seen before next to me in the other lane. Another guy I had never seen before, who was walking with the coach and carrying a cooler, came up to me and told me about this drink he wanted me to try, I cannot remember the name, The coach was telling him about my athletic adventures, so I guess that is why he picked me. The drink is suppossed to be a super-oxygenated water, I asked him some questions, to see why he was asking me to try it, and he said he sold it, but that was about it. I cannot remember the name of the drink, and it made me nauseous , so I stopped drinking it and went back to my water. The guy left before I could tell him it did not work. (it was suppossed to enhance performance)

Workout:
    800 free warm-up
    8X100 free on 2:00 (a little too much rest, but since the dring made me nauseous and my asthma was kicking in, I took it)
    1X200 free
    10X25 hypoxic (1:5, 1-:9, 1:7) on :40 (good rest with my asthma)
    1X400 free
    2X100 with pull buoy - right arm/left arm pull alternate every 25 yds
    150 slow kick with board

Practice tomorrow at 6 am - get to sleep in on Saturdays . Then to marathon expo and then Austin to see duaghter and attend baby shower (not for daughter ). We will get home late and then have to get up real early for hubby's marthon - he's only running half this year cause his sciatic nerve has really been hurting him - but he still runs . I point out the I have never been injured while swimming, but he just does not get it.
    With all that going on and my mom's big dog to babysit, busy, busy weekend.

Updated November 13th, 2009 at 08:03 PM by swim4me

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Getting it all in!

by , November 13th, 2009 at 07:24 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    My computer went down Wednesday, so haven't been able to blog much. Right now, I'm using my husband's computer at work until I get a new computer, so I may be sporadic for the next week.

On Wednesday afternoon, I did weights as follows:

Bench press: bar x 5, 2 sets of 75 x 15
    Lat pulldown: 90 x 5, 120 x 10, 130 x 8, 140 x 6
    Triceps pulldown: 2 sets of 40 x 15
    Alt. hammer curls: 2 sets of 15 x 15
    Push-ups with bosu ball: 1 set of 15
    Bicycles: 1 set of 100

Thursday morning, I woke up at 4:00 a.m. and could not go back to sleep. Decided to get up and go to the 5:15 spin class. Great class! Pretty tough intervals. The class lasted for 45 minutes. Followed the class up with a 1 mile run on treadmill at 8:32

Today, hit the pool and did the following workout:

200 warm-up

Broken 400 I.M. - 10 seconds rest at each 25

8 x 200 choice on 3:30 - did dolphin kick with no fins on first 4 and did free on second 4.

6 x (35 underwater, 65 easy) with fins - 1 minute rest

10 x 25 on :30 - did mostly free (After doing #1 and #3 fly, I realized that I was dead from all the working out this week.)

300 pull

3350 yards

Updated November 13th, 2009 at 08:00 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Friday, Nov. 13

by , November 13th, 2009 at 05:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM: Hot Yoga

Made it through another Africa hot class. I think Insel keeps the temperature higher than the other instructors. I was melting by the end. But I was a rock star on the standing boat pose finally. (That's my fav standing pose.) Afterward, I was slightly nauseous, probably just dehydrated.

More info on hot yoga:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...59_kell29.html

http://www.hot-yoga.net/news/

PM Massage:

Got a deep tissue massage this afternoon. I was really pummeled and feel dead at the moment. I'd love to hibernate in front of a fire on this cold rainy day. Maybe later tonight. The massage therapist noted that it's a great idea to do hot yoga before a massage b/c it makes you very pliable.

I'm still planning on taking tomorrow off and sleeping in.
    Categories
    Yoga
  10. FAST FRI Nov 13th, 2009 DOUBLE

by , November 13th, 2009 at 03:14 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST FRI Nov 13th, 2009 DOUBLE

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY
    NOON - 1:15
    TYLER coached
    dove in on time
    swam with David VD,
    TSC main pool

WORE new B70 with rip

Warm Up
    go 900

MAIN SET

25 belly SDK
    roll start off blocks
    Tyler timed
    went 10.2

100 easy

100 fr fast
    racing start off blocks (from coaches go)
    Tyler timed
    went 50.1

out in 23 low & died
    had little left

200 easy

rested 25 minutes

200 fr fast
    Tyler timed
    cruised first 125 worked 75
    out in 54
    went 1:51.5

200 easy

25 SDK fast
    Tyler timed
    roll start
    dove in rolled over & kicked on back
    went 9.5
    that is my lifetime best 25 SDK

MEETS:

7 Days till San Antonio

December 4th - 6th, 2009
    Long Beach

20 Days till Long Beach
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Very easy swim today

by , November 13th, 2009 at 12:22 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    11/13/09

Very light workout today. Just enough to get warm and loose.

SCY, Solo

Swim 300 free & back
    Kick 200 on back alt dolphin/flutter by 50
    Drill 6 x 50 drill, 2 each fly-back-free

4 x 50 back build on 1:15... build to fast
    (these were around 37-38)

200 easy

4 x 25 fast choice from blocks, walk back
    (1 & 3 back, around :16, 2 fly :14, 4 free 13)

swim down 600 easy free and back

Total: 1900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. FAST FRI Nov 13th, 2009 22.9 50 fl

by , November 13th, 2009 at 12:10 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST FRI Nov 13th, 2009

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY
    5:30 - 6:30
    Whitney coached
    dove in on time
    swam with mike, todd, tyler, doug jon & larry
    TSC main pool & diving well

WORE new B70 with rip

Warm Up
    go 900

MAIN SET

50 FL fast off blocks
    from coaches go
    mike V timed
    went 22.9

100 easy

100 fr fast off blocks
    from coaches go
    whitney timed
    went 49

got smoked by mike varozza who swam 2 lanes over from me, he went 45 for a 100 free, wearing his new B70, I gave up some, when I saw how far ahead of me he was at the 25

200 easy

200 fast
    dove in
    right eye goggle flooded
    just cruised it
    whitney timed
    went 1:56

400 easy

thinking about coming back for noon practice to do some more fast swims
    maybe take another crack at the 100 & 200

MEETS:

7 Days till San Antonio

December 4th - 6th, 2009
    Long Beach

20 Days till Long Beach
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. High FLYing fun!

by , November 13th, 2009 at 08:05 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Anyone up for some high flying fun? The more I do this the easier it seems to get. At least that is the goal.

10x100@2:00 Free long and loose
    500 Free kick w/fins
    500 Fly w/fins for time 8:56
    500 Fly kick w/fins varying the position side, back, front
    2x400@7:00 Free w/paddles & bouy

Total 3300 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. My Lonely Blog

by , November 12th, 2009 at 10:31 PM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1sWS5DAlAI&feature=channel"]YouTube- Mel's Blog: Lonely (HBO)[/ame]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. 2nd Blog - I'm on a roll...

by , November 12th, 2009 at 07:56 PM (My Passion)
    Swimming is my love and passion. As soon as daughter is out of college, and I am able, I am planning on retiring and working with swimmers, coaching, teaching, as long as I am with water and swimming and people who love it as much as I do.

Fort asked me to mention that I am an FAF Evilstroker. To elaborate, I love breast stroke. I had the league record on my summer league in California at 16. The stroke has changed a lot in the 25 years that I did not swim, but I still love it and think I have gotten the new style down.

I still love sprints, but this summer's open water exploration has stirred something in me. The best part was the swim from Alcatraz which I was a little aprehensive about doing. However, after coming in 4th in my age group out of 32 (without even trying, I stopped several times to enjoy the view!) and 16 out of all women swimming it and 81 out of men and women swimming with wetsuits - out of around 455 ish - I was more than pleased with the swim - my goal was to not finish 600 out of 600 . I think I will make it an annual event!

The results from Saturday's 5K were posted. I was not real worried about a good time, just did it for fun, so I went to swim practice at 6:00 am first. The race started at 9:30. It was very warm and very humid. I ended up walking up 3 small hills, and still posted a time of 29.18, not too bad for a old lady non-runner who was not prepared.

Thursday is a non-swim day , and since I believe I am over my 'time change' tiredness, got up this morning at 4:45 (decided to sleep an extra 15 minutes). Got to the gym about 5:10 and on the stairmill at 5:15. Did 30 minutes at level 8. Heart rate got to 157. I have been able in the past to stay on level 10 for 45 minutes, but I am working back to that after not going to the gym for abut a month.

After stairmill I did weights--high weights, low reps (I did not remember the number of weights, but guys come behind me and lift with lower weights). I did a lat press down, a leg press, a bicep machine and a tricep machine (it has been a while since I have lifted and I did not note the machine names). After that did an easy stretch and hit the shower.

Out of the shower at 6:30 and at my desk upstairs at 6:50 (when I braid my hair, no need to dry it) Busy day at work, no lunch break - ate at my desk and left at 4:15. Glad to end the day - not a bad day, just extremely busy - lots of meetings and lots of assignments.

Hiked with the dog again, two steep hills on 1.5 mile walk (short, but really get HR up ). Right now I am really glad to have done an after-work work-out two days in a row. Today I was thinking about maybe stepping it up and running next week - we'll see.

Lookinf forward to swimming tomorrow!!

Updated November 13th, 2009 at 08:06 PM by swim4me

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  16. Core + MF, Thurs., Nov. 12

by , November 12th, 2009 at 06:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Did mostly a core routine today. Jimby, if you're reading, this would be a superior workout for you than the 14 nautilus machine route. And there's virtually no crunches.

broomstick twist, 1 x 25
    good morning darlings, 1 x 50
    bicycles, 1 x 50
    twisting overhead med ball slam (8 lb ball), 2 x 25
    russian twists on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
    kneeling cable crunch, 80 x 2 x 10
    "Nicole" overhead squats, 45 (bar) x 3 x 15. Since I was doing well on these with the bar, I then did: 50 x 1 x 10, 60 x 1 x 10, 70 x 1 x 10. Yay!
    side bends w/45 lb bar, 2 x 15
    lying bicep curls on cable machine, 80 x 2 x 10
    rack push ups, 2 x 25
    rack chins, 3 x 15
    box jumps on 18 inch box, 2 x 10
    forward lunges w/25 lb DBs, 2 x 15
    squat swing & twist w/25 lb plate, 3 x 10

prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    3 position arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15

Didn't stretch, drove to pool.

Swim/Solo/SCY:

Since I received my new Finis Shooter MF last night, I was thrilled to take it the pool today. I really disliked my longer Trainer MF and haven't used it much since LC season. I was rather out of practice doing flip turns with it though. I'm quite fond of geek's name for the nose clip: Fortina. I think I need something similar for the MF. Anyway, here's what I did:

Warm up:

700 variety

Hypoxic Kick w/MF:

4 x (5 x 25 shooter) @ :30
    #1 = belly
    #2 = left side
    #3 = right side
    #4 = back
    #5 = twisting

50 EZ

Main set:

2 x through:

1 x 100 hypoxic backstroke kick w/MF, 1 breath only at turns (went about 1:00 on these, just cruised)

200 drill (50 chest press fly + 50 good swimmer free drill + 50 front scull + 50 dolphin breast in grip fin style)

4 x 50 @ 1:00, good technique
    #1 = fly/back
    #2 = back/breast
    #3 = breast/free
    #4 = free

50 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP SDK w/MF
    (went 22 (cramped and missed turn) and 21.5)

100 EZ

Total: 2650

5-10 minutes in hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Didn't feel too bad after yesterday's "Kill the Wolf" VK set. It took me a little while to loosen up at the gym, but then I got going.

Tomorrow, I plan to do hot yoga in the am and then I was very lucky to snag a 1:30 massage appt. I think I (especially the legs) could use one. Then (I promise Wolfy) to take Saturday off and let my body "adapt."

Timing of Massage for Taper Meet?

Does anyone have any thoughts on when is the best timing to get a massage before taper meet? I've heard different things. For example, I've heard deep tissue 10 days out and then swedish massage a few days before. I've heard deep tissue 5 days out. What do people think?

Sick, sick, sick

FortSon seems to have relapsed from his seeming piggy flu recovery. He's at the doctor now; I'm worried about pneumonia. Mini Fort seems mostly recovered. She wasn't hit nearly as bad. I'm still waiting for Gillian and me to get hit ... Not sure whether I'd rather get sick and lose a week of training or get sick during taper ... Argh!

Edit:

FortSon has bronchitis and suspected "rebound H1N1." Blech. But no pneumonia.

Taper:

With my meet on Dec. 12-13, a 3 week taper would start Nov. 21. I'm done with running. And, since the weather is so bloody miserable, I'm not even tempted. I'm going to drop all leg work (plyos, weights) 3 weeks out starting Nov. 21. I'm not precisely sure when to drop upper body weights. I know men would drop them 3 weeks out ... I'm not sure for me. I may taper them during week 3 and then drop them totally the last 2 weeks. I will do yoga during week 3, but then drop it 2 weeks out as well. Then I'll do my usual 2 week plan where I drop intensity and kick volume two weeks out and then drop yardage and intensity some more the final week. Any suggestions are welcome!

Updated November 13th, 2009 at 04:10 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  17. Fragility, and more fun with graphs

After I graphed my best age-graded ratings in each event earlier this week, I started thinking about the time span in which I had swum those best-rated swims. Since this rating system is a way of comparing performances at different ages, graphing the number of best ratings achieved each year provides a snapshot of my masters swimming performance trajectory. Hereís how it looks:

What has kept me back in those years where Iíve recorded zero best performances? Motivation and the other things going on in life both factor in, but flipping the graph gives a pretty good approximation of my degree of injuredness in any given year. Note to self: Stay healthy!

Of course, thatís easier said than done, and handling injuries intelligently is probably just as important a skill as preventing them in the first place. Iím coping this week with a twingy left arm (a familiar bit of tendonitis, and a pretty minor setback in the scheme of things). Iíve had to modify my practice goals this week to reflect thatóinstead of getting in some fast FR and BK plus a few starts in preparation for my meet next Saturday, my first priority is to get my arm feeling good again. Sometimes, when I have meets looming, I struggle to avoid panicking when everything isnít going right with my body. When that happens, I just have to relax, either take a few days off or focus on the things I can do without pain, and trust that Iíve already put in plenty of good training for my upcoming swims. Since I hadnít quite reached that point last night, so I did go to team practice, and modified the workout by not doing fly and doing only BR for my sprints. Today I will take off, and then will probably swim easily by myself on Friday and see how things stand.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Wednesday and Thursday November 11th & 12th

Wednesday:

Swam on my own since I had the day off. The pool was about 84 degrees. I HATE swimming in warm water. I always swim very slow and feel crappy and naseous.

Anyway ...

400 swim
    2 x 200 K
    4 x 75 (50 drill/25 swim) I went fly, free, br, fr

15 x 100
    3 @ 1:45
    3 @ 1:40
    3 @ 1:35
    3 @ 1:30
    3 @ 1:25

After the 1st one at 1:25 some lady stopped me to ask if we could share the lane. I haphazardly threw my stuff toward one side of the lane and missed the send off a bit. This was miserable with the water temps.

4 x 100 kick (I did it as a broken 400 IM kick with zoomers and went fly, back, free then ditched the fins and did breast)

4 x 50 ez on 1:00

Thursday Morning swim with team:

200 kick
    200 pull
    100 back (it was a 200 but I hate back so ...
    200 swim
    8 x 50 (1-4 drill (fl, fr, br, fr) 5-8 desc)

3 x 300 pull desc. on 4:30 (I HATE pulling)
    4 x 100 back (50 drill/50 swim - I hate backstroke)
    3 x 200 free on 3:00 (I skipped these to do the set of 100s)
    2 x 100 on 2:00 FAST (I will not write my times down as they are utterly embarrassingly slow and pathetic)

200 c/d

Seeing as this workout was full of pull and back and long swims which are my 3 least favorite things at swim practice.

Anyway ... pilates tonight and hopefully a bit of cardio though I definitely got cardio in this morning.

Tomorrow I'm taking off.

Saturday: swim with team (in theory) and run
    Sunday: hot yoga and run
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Two Days to Swim Meet

by , November 12th, 2009 at 12:52 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, solo

Swim 400 choice
    (did 200 free/200 back)
    kick 200 rev IM order
    200 IM drill
    pull 300 choice
    (did 200 free/100 back)

swim 6 x 50 on 1:00 back: build to about 85%
    (all were right around 40 or just under)

swim 8 x 25 on 45 as 2 sets of 4:
    1. fast/easy
    2. easy/fast
    3. build
    4. fast
    (did round 1 free, round 2 back)

200 easy

4 x 25 on 1:00 fast choice
    (went fly off blocks, free, back from blocks, free)

swim down 600 choice
    (alternated free/back by 100's)

Total: 2500 yards

Updated November 19th, 2009 at 02:40 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Thu Nov 12th, 2009

by , November 12th, 2009 at 12:32 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Nov 12th, 2009

Weights: world gym 5:15 - 5:50
    lat press 6 x 40, 6 x 45, 6 x 50, 5 x 55, 4 x 60
    lat pull 6 x 165, 5 x 205, 4 x 215, 3 x 220
    bench press 6 x 135, 5 x 185, 3 x 205, 2 x 210
    leg press 8 x 180, 6 x 270, 6 x 360, 4 x 450
    Getting stronger

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY
    5:30 - 6:30
    Whitney coached