View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Back! July 7

by , July 7th, 2010 at 09:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I just got back from 2 weeks in Europe last night. It was a fabulous vacation -- visited Oslo, Copenhagen, Warnemunde & Rostok (Germany), St. Petersburg, Tallinn (Estonia) and Stockholm. We had uncharacteristically picture perfect sunny weather and smooth sailing (except 2 days) in the Baltic, between 75-85 every day. Had we left a week earlier, it would have been rainy and cold. I absolutely loved Copenhagen and Stockholm; I can see living in those canal cities (or, alternatively, ditching my kids, buying a boat and re-locating ). I also loved Tallinn, which is a smaller perfectly preserved medieval city and great for medieval history buffs like me. I kept expecting a knight in shining armor to walk around every corner. St. Petersburg was, as expected, very czar-ist grand. Very interesting
    and I loved the historical aspect, but I like charm more than grandeur. Took a quick dip in the Baltic Sea in Warnemunde. Beautiful beach, but it was freezing -- needed a wetsuit.

I didn't die of swimming and blogging deprivation. I apparently prefer Europe to these attractions. I likewise did not exercise as much as I anticipated. I had a habit of staying on land and touring about as long as possible before getting back on the ship. When I did, I was typically fairly tired. In total, of the 12 days on the ship, I did 30-60 minutes on the ellipse 7-8 x (once for 90 minutes while listening to TV lectures on Tallinn and St. Petersburg). Of the 7 days I was on land, I walked between 2-4 miles per day. 4 miles of walking in bright sunshine left me a bit gassed. Finally, I got in two 40 minute dryland sessions; there wasn't really room to do some of my usual exercises. I did nothing the last 2 days. So, all in all, I probably got in some decent aerobic work, but I will be in appalling dryland and swimming shape. Really glad I have no focus meets this summer. Am pondering whether I can survive a LC practice tomorrow night ...

I also had no internet access the entire time I was gone. I paid for a wireless package, but neither my iphone or ipad worked. Neither did the ship's computers for that matter. And the service was appalling slow; I didn't have the patience or time to even attempt too often. Perhaps it was all for the best as I had a nice computer vacation and read a few books. Patrick -- I loved the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo! And I did see most of the WC games.

On a really depressing front, I got home and had a raft of emails concerning the GMUP masters team. It appears that my team, in its current form, is finished. GMU wants to rent our lanes to USA-S teams to make more money and eliminate our coaches. They are offering to post a workout blog and give us one of their internal life-rec coaches. Laughable! Protests have been lodged, but I am not optimistic that anything will change. It seems extremely short sighted to me, as the masters team has helped support the college team. So it appears that I will be in the market for a new team. Really suckish news. Zones will still be on this Spring though.

I really haven't had time to check the forum yet. Did I miss anything?

Updated July 7th, 2010 at 11:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  2. Missing Coach Wednesday

by , July 7th, 2010 at 04:17 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Coached the Sharks SCY
    Coach ALEX was MIA so I took care of it.

Warm Up
    300 Choice
    4 x 75 50k/25 swim :15r

Set 1
    Repeat 3 Times descending each set

4 x 50 Set# 1) :15r #2) :10r #3) :05r
    2 x 100 Set# 1) :10r #2) :15r #3) :20r
    1 x 200 :60 r ~ repeat set

The objective here is to hold your pace throughout the set.....
    ie... I want to swim a 2:40 for the 200
    So try to hit :40 for the 50's, 1:20 for the 100's

100 EZ

Set 2

4 x 100 swum as
    25 Work the Break out then EZ
    50 Mod ~ Work the turn
    25 EZ
    :20 or so rest between repeats.

Set 3

6 x 50 on :40 (about 5-7 sec rest)

Warm down

3200yds + whatever you warm down

I wanted to swim with the team but I had to coach.
    So I swam this after work.
    I tend to take a little more rest when I swim by myself. But I did swim it all.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Cool workout on a hot day

It’s hot hot hot here! Central Park apparently got up to 103 yesterday. I wouldn’t know, though, I was happily inside in the air conditioning, surviving on a steady diet of lemon sorbet floats and coconut popsicles. My Alabama relatives love calling me anytime they see high temperatures predicted for NYC, just to point out that it does get hot up north too. Thanks, Mom! .

I did venture out this morning for early workout. And as always, it was a joy to swim LCM in a cool pool. Here’s what we did:

400 lcm warmup

4 x 50 kick IM order
    4 x 50 FR focusing on dps
    4 x 50 BR swim [I’m not sure what the focus was supposed to be here—I worked on narrowing my kick]
    4 x 50 FR build by 50

5 x 100 Kick w/ fins [I went barefoot, and just did 4.]

300 pull

4 x 150, odds = IM (no free), evens = FR

300 pull

2 x 250, negative splitting each 250

200 warmdown

Last Saturday morning, we used fins a lot, but I went barefoot because I hadn’t brought mine (and have issues with the ones at the pool).

On Monday, I glanced at my fins as I was leaving for workout and thought, “We just did a big fin set Saturday, we probably won’t do another today.” I again went barefoot on that day’s fin set.

Today, when I was leaving the house, I thought “We just did fin sets the last two workouts, surely we won’t do another today.” And there I was again, barefoot and slow while everyone else zoomed along.

Clearly something is wrong with my reasoning here.
    I think I will pack fins the rest of this week!

After practice I decided to take the bus home, but it broke down just one stop from the pool. Rather than wait for another, I decided to walk. Even at 7, the temp was already in the 80s, but it wasn’t too bad. The park was shady and so green, and even out of the park I was able to walk on the shady sides of the streets. Plus I figured if I was going to get any outdoor time today, early morning was the time to do it!
  4. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -07/08/10

by , July 7th, 2010 at 01:35 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:45
    4 X 150 2:30
    4 X 100 1:30

1 X 100 kick 2:30
    4 X 50 kick 1:15
    1 X 100 kick 2:30
    4 X 50 kick 1:10

SCY

2 X 100 stroke 2:00
    1 X 100 free 2:00
    4 X 75 stroke 1:30
    1 X 100 free 2:00
    6 X 50 stroke 1:00
    1 X 100 free -

3 X {4 X 50 1:00
    #1 & 3 @ 100%
    #1 will be from the blocks
    Break between rounds

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Wednesday, 7/7/10

by , July 7th, 2010 at 12:31 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Warm – up
    1 x 400 choice
    (200 free/200 back)
    6 x 50/1:00 desc 3
    (1-3 free/4-6 back)
    8 x 25/30, 25 free – 25 stroke, Strong
    (did fly/back/breast/fly on stroke)

Main Set:
    Swim the following set 4 times:
    3 x 100/1:50 desc
    3 x 50/1:20 BUILD TO FAST with dives
    (#1-3 free, on 100's went ± 1:33-1:29-1:25; on 50's was 38-39
    #4 back, on 100's went 1:43-1:40-1:37, on 50's was 43-44)

Cool Down
    4 x 50/1:00 smooth

Total: 2900 meters

Updated July 7th, 2010 at 07:15 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Strokes and Sprints

I've decided that my 3/wk with the Libertyville Masters is just not enough anymore. While I do thoroughly enjoy swimming with them, I feel that I need/want more. So I've decided on any day I can (M/W/Sat) I'm going to do my own workout to help build technique and speed. My current focus is going to be on strokes (Back, Breast and Butterfly), and sprints (freestyle for now).

I'm operating under 2 assumptions: 1) Good form is built by proper execution of drills. 2) Form breaks down when fatigued unless good form is consciously sought after and executed carefully.

The idea behind all of my stroke workouts will be based on kicking and drills. If I build up strength and endurance in my kick, then it won't be as big of a fatiguing factor when I'm swimming. If I build proper form in my drills, then when I do take the time to combine it together, the proper form should (ideally) build on the experience from the drills and the strength from the kicking.

The idea behind my sprint workouts will be based on short distance (right now - 25y) and are to be executed with the following mindset: "move your arms as fast as you can and kick as hard as you can and breath as few times as possible." I'm not concerned with things like dolphin off the wall, or timing my flip turns right now. I want my sole focus to be building those fast twitch muscles in those sprint workouts.

The park district pool I currently swim in on my own is a 4 Lane 25 SCY pool, no lane lines or flags in the lap swim area. I usually am only one of two maybe 3 people, but the openness of everything makes it kind of tough to swim. Its pretty choppy compliments of the kids playing in the rest of the pool to the east, and the kids diving in the diving well to the west. (Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...)

My workout last Monday looked like this:

Warm Up:
    600 swim
    200 pull
    100 catchup drill ([ame=http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=33665&postcount=3]I don't use a kickboard[/ame])

Back Stroke Set
    Due to the fact that there are no flags, I swim right next to the one lane line which is next to the kids playing in the pool so I can make sure I don't bash into the wall
    8x25 kick
    8x25 long axis drill (I need to learn more backstroke drills)
    4x25 swim (no flags == kind of scary to turn)

Breast Stroke Set
    8x25 kick
    8x25 breast stroke pull with flutter kick (I also need to learn more breast stroke drills)
    2x50 swim

Sprint Set
    8x25 pull
    2x100 easy swim
    8x25 sprint

Cool Down
    50 easy swim
    1.5 Mile walk back home.

So from all of you who are far more experienced than me - would you care to give any suggestions? I'm all ears!
  7. Wed Jul 7th 2010

by , July 7th, 2010 at 11:28 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Jul 7th 2010

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

scy
    whitney Coached
    6:30 TO 8:30
    Austin UT Swim Center diving well
    swam with Mike & Jon
    Beside Tyler & Doug
    wore b 70 jammer
    dove in at 6:36

WARM UP
    800 easy

MAIN SET

assigned 10 x 50
    did 5 x 50

50 fl fast push

assigned 8 x 50
    did 4 x 50

50 bk fast push

assigned 6 x 50
    did 3 x 50

50 br fast push
    33 & right groin hurt
    so no breast kick till sunday

assigned 4 x 50
    did 2 x 50

50 fr fast dive

50 easy

2010 MEETS:

July 8 - 11, 2010
    Senior Circuit #4 Meet Info
    Austin, TX
    entered:

Fri
    50 Freestyle

Sat
    100 Butterfly
    50 backstroke

Sun
    200 Individual Medley
    50 breastroke, &
    50 butterfly

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    2010 South Central Long Course
    Southlake, Texas
    Days till LCM ZONES
    Entered Zones yesterday & got my hotel

Updated July 7th, 2010 at 03:26 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. She Wants More Dinero

by , July 7th, 2010 at 11:00 AM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    Today's workout mix was the one I've been waiting to do for a long time. The theme is "what keeps me up at night." Putting this mix together took a couple trips to the library to get some music I didn't have, 3 individual purchases on iTunes when I couldn't wait any longer for the CD's I had on hold to be returned to the library, and one part of an afternoon downloading Audacity software and learning how to use it so I could create a clean version of a song with lots of obvious swearing. (We swim at a pool in a local middle school, and it's best not to rock the boat and lose our music privileges.)

So here it is, I give you...

Money For Nothing, Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms
    Big Spender, Queen, Live at Wembley 86 (Disc 2)
    She Works Hard For The Money, Donna Summer, Respect [Disc 4]
    Taxman, The Beatles, Revolver [2009 Stereo Remaster]
    Money, Alan Cumming & The Kit Kat Girls, Cabaret: The New Broadway Cast Recording (1998 Broadway Revival)
    Take The Money And Run, Steve Miller Band, Take the Money and Run
    9 to 5, Dolly Parton, Beach Week II: The Wrath of Finney
    Why Don't You Get A Job? , The Offspring, Americana
    Two Tickets To Paradise, Eddie Money, The Best Of Eddie Money
    Strapped For Cash, Fountains Of Wayne, Traffic And Weather
    We're in the Money (From "42nd Street"), John Lesko, 42nd Street - Original Broadway Cast Recording
    What Do You Do for Money Honey, AC/DC, Back in Black
    Material Girl, Madonna, The Immaculate Collection
    Life In The Fast Lane, Eagles, Hotel California
    I'm Broke, Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears, Tell 'Em What Your Name Is!
    Gold Digger , Kanye West & Jamie Foxx, Late Registration
    Ring of Fire, Johnny Cash
    You Can't Always Get What You Want, Rolling Stones, Let It Bleed
    Can't Buy Me Love, The Beatles, 1962-1966 (Disc 1)
    Puttin' On The Ritz, Ella Fitzgerald, Sings the Irving Berlin Song Book [Complete]
    Money (That's What I Want), The Flying Lizards, The Wedding Singer Volume 2: More Music From The Motion Picture
    Money, Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon
    Pay For What You Get, Dave Matthews Band, Under The Table And Dreaming
    Low Budget, The Kinks, Low Budget (Remastered)

We also had a great workout today. I did 3875 yards, which is a super lot for me. Padding the FLOG, baby! (Also, getting the yardage in while I can, our pool is closed from July 23rd until after Labor Day. After that, I don't know where I'll go.)

25 dive start
    500 free, 100 stroke in the middle
    400 reverse IM (25 kick / 50 drill / 25 stroke of each )
    3x100 (25 back / 75 build free)
    2x50 from the black line (1 free, 1 stroke)
    4x125 pull (25 no breath / 75 free / 25 stroke)
    2x250 (50 stroke / 150 free / 50 stroke)
    2x100 kick
    3x200 (2nd & 4th 50 fast)
    2x100 kick
    3x150 (fast 100 in the middle)
    100 warm down

Hands down, the best part of the workout was the skulling. For some reason, I have a kick-ass skull technique. I think it came from growing up as someone who played around in the pool, not a competitive swimmers, so I taught myself a lot of ways to get around by floating. Also, I took a water aerobics class in college from the syncro instructor. But I actually got a compliment on it from Coach, so that was wow. Now if only I could get paid to do it...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Needed a recovery day

by , July 7th, 2010 at 08:23 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Recovery day does not mean sleep in just easy swimming for me.

10x100@1:45 Free
    1000 Free kick w/fins odd 100's easy even 100's FAST
    3x[100@1:45 Free w/snorkle, paddles & bouy
    ....[200@3:30 Free w/snorkle, paddles & bouy
    100 Free w/snorkle, paddles & bouy EASY
    2x200@4:00 Fly w/fins as 50 Rt arm/50 Lt arm/50 streamline kick on back/50 sprint
    200 Free easy w/fins

Total 3600 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. A new training drink

by , July 7th, 2010 at 01:11 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    My workout on Monday was fishing! I caught six bass fish! I suppose I got a little bit of an upper body workout pulling those guys out of the water.

Today, did an 18 mile bike ride. Felt pretty rested after my 2 days off, so was able to do the ride in about 58 minutes. I discovered a wonderful drink today that works well and one I never would have thought of - plain old Coca-Cola. I felt pretty good during the ride, so maybe this is a new training drink for me!

Update: Without even knowing it, I just came across a study mentioning Coca-Cola as the favored sports drink for cyclists! http://www.sportsci.org/news/news9711/martin.html

Updated July 7th, 2010 at 01:17 AM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Those Were The Happiest Days of My Life

by , July 6th, 2010 at 07:47 PM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    Back to work today. What a weekend. I hope you all had a great weekend. Between Friday and Monday, I swam at Lake Minnewaska thrice. On the second visit, on Saturday afternoon, I swam my 200th mile for the year!* My goodness if Minnewaska isn't the most beautiful place to go for a casual dip.

Today at the pool, I made a playlist for the end of the holiday: a mix of celebrating America and the summer. I finished it up with "Back on the Chain Gang" because now it's all 5-day workweeks until Labor Day. (I've been at my job less than a year, so I have no vacation time saved up, I used my one allotted day on the Middlebury swim meet, and it was worth it, darn it.)

Summertime, Fitzgerald, Ella, First Lady of Song [CD2]
    One Headlight, The Wallflowers, Bringing Down The Horse
    America, Paul Simon, Concert In The Park, August 15, 1991 (Disc 2)
    A Horse With No Name, America, Entertainment Weekly: The Greatest Hits - 1972
    American Girl, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Greatest Hits
    Lump, The Presidents Of The United States Of America, The Presidents Of The United States Of America
    Surf Wax America, Weezer, Weezer (Deluxe Edition) - CD 1
    America, Neil Diamond
    Dancing In The Dark, Bruce Springsten, Born In the USA
    Walk Of Life, Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms
    American Idiot, Green Day, American Idiot
    Hot Stuff, Donna Summer, The All Time Greatest Movie Songs CD2
    Hot Pants Pt. 1, James Brown, R&B Deluxe
    Junebug, The B-52's, Cosmic Thing
    Here Comes The Hotstepper (Pret-A-Porter), Ini Kamoze, The All Time Greatest Movie Songs CD2
    Too Darn Hot, Fitzgerald, Ella, First Lady of Song [CD1]
    Hot Cha, They Might Be Giants, Flood
    Red Hot Pepper, Wynton Marsalis, Mr. Jelly Lord - Standard Time Vol. 6
    Brown Eyed Girl, Van Morrison, Best Of Van Morrison
    I Can See Clearly Now, Jimmy Cliff, The All Time Greatest Movie Songs CD2
    Back On The Chain Gang, The Pretenders, Learning To Crawl

Despite this rockin' mix and all, I didn't swim much today, only a 1650. I was sore from stress, and the crushing fact of having to go back to work today. Tomorrow, during the team swim, I'll see if I can kick it in a little, because the thing I love the most about swimming is that it's when the real life can't touch me.

Also, over the weekend, all you crazy running people inspired me to see if I can run. I went 2.5 miles on the unfinished trail that connects the rail trail to the Walkway over the Hudson. It was a mix of running and walking, and it wasn't actually the worst thing in the entire world and I even went kind of fast, so I may try running again someday, as soon as my calves unknot themselves from this weekend's adventure.

*Some of my Go The Distance teammates & I have referred to extra-curricular non-workout swimming as padding the FLOG.
    Use in a sentence: I just swam a personal best in the 200 Free! I'm going to warm down with a thousand so I can pad the FLOG.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Tue Jul 6th 2010

by , July 6th, 2010 at 06:00 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue Jul 6th 2010

LCM
    whitney Coached
    Austin UT Swim Center main pool
    swam with Marcio, Tyler, Ritchie, Kelly, & Sharon
    wore b 70 jammer
    dove in on time

WARM UP
    800 easy

MAIN SET

assinged 4 rounds of
    4 x 50 stroke
    400 fr neg split
    4 x 100 desc
    200 neg split

did: 3 rounds
    2 x 50 one easy one fast
    200 easy
    2 x 100 one easy one fast
    100 easy

went
    50 fl push 30,
    50 bk push 31,
    50 br dive 36

100 fl fr dive 1:03
    100 bk fr 1:07

2010 MEETS:

July 8 - 11, 2010
    Austin, TX
    entered:

Fri
    50 Freestyle

Sat
    100 Butterfly
    50 backstroke

Sun
    200 Individual Medley
    50 breastroke, &
    50 butterfly

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    Southlake, Texas
    Days till LCM ZONES
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout

by , July 6th, 2010 at 01:48 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

WARM UP
    1 X 100 1:45 1:40
    1 X 200 3:30 3:20
    1 X 300 5:15 -
    Twice through. Round 1 intervals left, round 2 right.

1 X 200 kick 5:00
    3 X 100 kick 2:30

6 X 200 free 3:20
    1-2: moderate
    3-4: negative split
    5-6: fast

2 X 100 moderate 2:00
    1 X 100 fast 3:30
    Four times through.
    Moderate 100's: free
    Fast 100's: choice

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4300M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Tuesday, 7/6/10

by , July 6th, 2010 at 12:32 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    More recovery
    SCM, Solo

Warm up
    400 Swim
    (swam as 100 free/100 back)
    200 Kick
    (rev IMO)
    8 x 25/30 desc 4
    (1-4 free, 5-8 back)

Main Set:
    6 x 200/15sec rest
    Build each by 50 and do not force the stroke
    (1-3 free, 2:55-3:00; 4-6 back, 3:20-3:25)

Kick Set:
    5 min vertical kicking: 20 sec vertical kicking/10sec rest

Warm Down
    200 easy free/back
    Total: 2200 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Some fast days

by , July 6th, 2010 at 08:20 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Seem like I am swimming so fast in workout lately and today was no exception, even despite a bad back.

1000 Free as 200 SPSKS
    500 Free kick w/snorkle & fins
    5x200@4:00 Back w/paddles got progressively faster
    300 Free kick w/fins
    200 Fly alternate 50 Rt arm/50 Lt arm

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Monday, 7/5/10

by , July 6th, 2010 at 12:44 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Warm – up
    600 swim
    200 kick (rev IMO)
    4 x 100/1:45 Build each
    (ave. 1:28)
    4 x 50/1:10 ds
    (went 44->37)
    8 x 25/45 strong, but do not force it
    (1-4 free, 5-6 back, 7-8 fly)

Main Swim Set:
    3 x 100 Kick/20sr
    (went #1 breast, #2 back, #3 free)
    8 x 25/10sr odds breast, evens free
    6 x 50 breast Pull/15sr w/fins and dolphin kick
    8 x 25/10sr like above

Warm down
    400 easy free and back

Total: 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Monday Swim

by , July 5th, 2010 at 05:49 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Coached the Sharks SCY

This is a modified version of one of Onlyfree's workouts.

300 Choice

Set 1
    4 x 75 K/DR/SW by 25 :15r
    3 x 100 DR/Swim by 50 :15r
    2 x 125 Pull :15r

Set 2

100 EZ
    100 Mod
    100 Hard
    :20r on all

2x100 EZ or 200 ez
    2x100 Mod or 200 Mod
    2x100 Hard or 200 Hard
    :15r on all or :30 if doing 200

3x100 EZ or 300 ez
    3x100 Mod or 300 mod
    3x100 Hard or 300 Hard
    :10r on all or :30 if doing 300

100 EZ Kick

??x50 odds kick work the UW / Even's EZ Swim

IT was fun to watch the guys in lanes 4/5/6 race
    on the last 300.
    Peter 3:10, Jim 3:21, David 3:21
    Awesome!!!!
    Peter started in lane 5 10 sec's behind david, caught him at the 175 and pushed off the wall
    into the empty lane 6 next to them and kept going. I love coaching guy's like this.

I swam on my way home from coaching.
    I did the main set as
    6 x (3x100 ez,mod,hard) all on around 1:30 (I was playing with my watch)
    Everything else the same.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -07/06/10

by , July 5th, 2010 at 03:28 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

WARM UP:
    3 X 100 1:50
    3 X 200 3:30
    1 X 300 negative split

1 X 200 kick 5:00
    6 X 50 kick 1:15

SCY

8 X 150 2:45
    50 stroke/50 free/50 stroke

1 X 50 EZ 1:00
    1 X 50 Fast 1:00
    1 X 50 EZ 1:00
    2 X 50 fast 1:00
    1 X 50 easy 1:00
    3 X 50 fast 1:15
    1 X 50 EZ 1:15
    4 X 50 fast 1:15
    4 X 50 WARM DOWN 1:15

3800M/Y
    3 X 50 fast
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Mon Jun 5th 2010

by , July 5th, 2010 at 01:53 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Jun 5th 2010

Did not swim on Sun Jul 4th & didn't pig out too bad

LCM
    whitney Coached
    Austin UT Swim Center main pool
    swam with Todd, Mike, Tyler, Doug, Marcio, & Larry
    wore b 70 jammer
    dove in at 6:40

WARM UP
    did around 500
    kicked an easy speed 50 in 35

MAIN SET

8 x 50 on :40
    swam 7 easy & relaxed making interval
    rest 10 sec then worked last 50 went 28

assigned 400
    did 200

8 x 100 on 1:20
    swam 7 easy & relaxed making interval
    then worked last one &
    went 1:05

assigned 400
    did 200

GOT out & was DONE for the day

my buddies went on to do 8 x 200 fr on 2:40

2010 MEETS:

July 8 - 11, 2010
    Austin, TX
    entered:

Fri
    50 Freestyle

Sat
    100 Butterfly
    50 backstroke

Sun
    200 Individual Medley
    50 breastroke, &
    50 butterfly

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    Southlake, Texas
    Days till LCM ZONES

Updated July 6th, 2010 at 01:18 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. My Indy SwimFit review!

First and foremost - I want to say the Indy SwimFit meet was run very well! I had plenty of rest time, the results were posted extremely fast and the people running the desk were REALLY cool.

So to get to Indy, I decided to take the Amtrak. Its easy to get to, and its super low stress. This trip I take my friend Tessa. She's a great friend and she promised to video tape my swims.
    We arrive in Indy about 11:30 PM, and walk about 300 yards to the hotel (GREAT PLANNING). After getting ready for bed, I fall asleep until about 4:30 AM. I finally get out of bed right around 5:15 get my stuff together in the dark and start walking around the hotel. Finally around 5:45 I make my way into the restaurant and get my first cup of decaf. Finally after consuming a massive amount of food by about 6:30, I get up and I walk over to the computers for the hotel and start playing around on the forums, facebook and gmail. (See here: [ame=http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=219296&postcount=48]Forum Post[/ame])

As I'm sitting at the computer - I see a few people walking through the hotel with their own swim bags. I figured I'd just introduce myself and make friends - what a GREAT idea. The person I met was Nadine Day. First off - she knew EVERYONE at the meet, so I got to meet a lot of fantastic swimmers and make a lot of new friends. Secondly - I immediately labeled her as my surrogate coach. She actually did quite a bit to help me learn at the end of the meet and I'll be repeating those drills at pretty much every practice.

So enough fluff - I swam the 50 Back, 100 Back, 50 Free, 50 Breast and finally 100 Free. I'm coming to the conclusion - if I at least do one race well - its a good meet. :-)

Before the race - I received a free swim cap. I figured I would try it out! Why not; right? I did a few practice laps and decided I would just keep it on for the rest of the meet. It was a really weird feeling not feeling the water on your head.

Results

50 Back
    "I'd like to go at least a 50 in the 50 back this time. I did a 53 last weekend, and I think this time I'm going to be a little better prepared mentally for the race. I've also increased my backstroke during the week and kick to help push myself down the lane."
    BORKED
    My goal in backstroke is always to survive. Although - its also to beat last meet's time. As of July 4th I don't have my official time for the Badger State Games, but I know I swam an equivalent time so I was pretty happy with that even if I didn't swim a 50. At least I'm not getting slower! I remember at the very beginning of the race I was choking on the water as it kept coming up over my face with my left arm. So I relaxed the arms and made sure that my stroke was even and calm and the water stopped flowing over my face. Watching the video - its pretty obvious that I don't know how to start. Something that I just have to learn in practice. As I'm watching though - I'm noticing that I bend my knees when I kick. This will be corrected as I learn the drills that Nadine taught me. I also worked to try and make sure my shoulders came out of the pool when swimming; you can tell when I'm thinking about it and when I'm not because I either do it or don't. Practice will even that out though.

100 Back
    "I'm hoping I survive. No kidding. It's going to be a long race - and I'll swim it as hard as I can, but we'll have to see. I'm also hoping to have a good flip turn followed by a strong dolphin kick. I'm aiming for the flags off the wall!"
    --No Video--
    The race started the same as the 50 back - with me choking from water from my left arm. I again chilled out and let my arms relax. I swam a much better race. When I flipped turned off the wall, I didn't get any air right before my turn, so I was totally in O2 Debt by the time I came out from under. I also had a very deep flip turn for whatever reason. I came up and was able to breath again. At that point it was just "make it to the wall". I swam a 1:55 - which was great for me especially because I thought I was going to be doing about 2:00+.

50 Free
    "I'm working on my sprints this week. I'm hoping to be able to make it to the 49 meter mark before I'm totally starting to cash out this time! So that means I need to dolphin off the dive and extend my dive for a little longer than I did last weekend. I swam a 33ish in 50 SCY, and a 39 last week. With some improvements in form that I'm working on I think I can speed things up significantly. My goal is going to remain 35 (as last week)"
    BORKED
    <Sigh> This was a very disappointing race. I should've come up sooner and relied on my on my ability to swim rather than dolphin kick underwater. I wasted a lot of time in that race underwater. (Nadine came up and basically told me she was happy I was working on my underwater - but that was too much). I also didn't finish that race completely exhausted. So I know I didn't give 100% and I know I could've done much better. I ended that race on a 40, which sorely disappointed me. Next time I'll make it. I KNOW I can!

50 Breast
    "Survive again. It would be nice to finish my 50 Breast in under a minute. Its my weakest stroke mostly because my kick is essentially useless. I'm working on it, I just need time and experience I think. However - specifically - I'm going to make sure that each lunge forward with my arms helps propel my body forward."
    BORKED
    I did manage to complete this race in under a minute! I was super excited about that. I spent this race completely focused on form. That was far more important to me than any time or anything like that. So I made sure to allow time for a little bit of glide before going into the stroke again. Next time however I will probably take a little less time gliding and a little more time swimming. I think its about learning that delicate balance? Coach will tell me eventually. :-)

100 Free
    "I'd like to see no goggle problems this time, a strong dolphin kick off the wall and pacing it right. Again - with some strong improvements in form that i'm working on - I think I can speed this up significantly by this race. Goal: 1:25"
    BORKED
    Well, I certain did not swim a 1:25. I swam a 1:30. By the time I hit the blocks on this race, I was only focused on making a stand against that awful 50 Free I did before. I remember coming down, feeling pretty strong. My swim into the wall was not really that great (those bulkheads were trippy for me... I will have to swim in that pool more). After coming off the wall - I noted the guy next to me was beatable. So I decided to push it, hard. I started kicking harder and swimming harder. This entire time I was also not taking the time to breath every other stroke or even every three strokes. I limited myself to 4 or 5 strokes per breath thinking "You can breath when you're done...". I pushed myself as hard as I could into the wall with that guy right on my tail. He ended up kicking it in just at the last second and beating me by .05 seconds. I need to work on my finishes apparently :-) That race was a great race for me and I'm very proud of it.

All in all at this meet I was happy with how it turned out. I met Mary Pohlmann, Nadine Day, and quite a few other people whose names currently escape me. I can't wait til my next meet, regardless of the pool size. I do happen to really like the long course though. I really wish I could train in it. I've also decided after this weekend, I definitely need more swimming in my life. So I'm currently working to find more pools to swim in as well. We'll see how that goes and we'll see if I'm capable of keeping it up! Thanks for all of your encouragement everyone!

Tonight: Drills at the Lake Bluff Rec! Going to basically just do drills for a couple hours to work on form. Post ideas for drills if you want!

Updated July 7th, 2010 at 03:46 PM by bzaks1424

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events