View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Sunday, Nov.8

by , November 8th, 2009 at 05:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    RC/Dryland:

bicycles, 2 x 50
    chops on yoga ball w/3 lb weights, 2 x 15, thumbs up and thumbs down
    prone scapular scrunches w/3 lb weights, 3 x 25
    3 position arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15, each arm
    soft med ball toss against wall, 1 x 25
    scapular wall slides, 2 x 25
    seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
    internal and external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    1 legged squats resting other foot on yoga ball, 1 x 15 (Just tried these out. I think Jazz is right, and these would be good to add in addition to the other squats I do)

Swim/SCM/Solo:

800 EZ

10 minutes in hottub
    5 minutes in steamroom

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I might have indulged in some Patrick-like hubris yesterday in doing both hot yoga and a run the day after doing the P90X plyo DVD. My alarm rang at 8:00 to go to practice at Mason today, and I just shut it off and went back to sleep. I've been exhausted all day. So, I just did a mini RC/recovery swim that I probably should have done yesterday. I hope I don't have to take tomorrow off. I'd like to get in a short, but quality, sprint workout.

That said, I think my legs feel stronger than they ever have from the plyos. I am, however, having a bit of left shoulder breakdown. I'm fairly certain this is due to failure to do adequate RC exercises. Whenever I get lazy and lapse in this area, I usually pay the price. (Hence, today's workout.) But Mr. Fort has been gone for 2 weeks, and sometimes I don't sit down till 10:30 pm. Unlike Chris, I can't get myself to do RC work at that time. And I don't think the yoga is aggravating the shoulder ... Bikram yoga doesn't have any of those umpteen thousand downward dogs they do in other types of yoga.

Stretching:

My husband mentioned that he had read an article in the NYT suggesting that dynamic stretching was no longer being advocated over static stretching. I'm not sure which article he was referring to. It could have been mentioned in the article on cooling down that was discussed on the forum. There were a lot of reader comments posted wrt that article. http://community.nytimes.com/comment...etching&st=cse
  2. A Sunny Sunday Swim

Practice was surprisingly crowded this morning. I think the wine tasting was so fun last night that lots of us wanted to come to workout to continue conversations that got started there. It’s always fun to see teammates outside the pool, and to have more than the few seconds between swim repeats to catch up on what’s going on in their lives.

Here’s what I did this morning:

600 warmup (400 swim, 200 kick)

16 x 25 @ :30, 4 of each stroke, rev. IM order [I focused on body position on all 4 strokes]

4 times through (2 x 100 FR @ 1:25, 4 x 50 K/S @ :55) [After the first round I swam all the 100’s as 50 FR/50 BK, and set a goal of keeping them all under 1:15. Succeeded on all but 1 of them]

2 times through (200 IM, 100 IM, 50 BR, 100 BK, 200 FR) [These were all on fairly generous intervals. On all but the 200 FR I mentally rehearsed my technique keys for each of these events and focused on hitting them during the swims.]

4 x (25 moderate @ :30, 25 sprint @ :40) These felt fast and good.

Warmdown

A truly wondrous thing happened with about 15 minutes left in practice—sunlight shone into our pool! To comprehend how amazing this is, you have to understand that this pool, like many others in the city, is located in a basement and generally receives no natural light. There is a tiny row of thick glass tiles near the top of one wall that do connect to the outside world, but usually—maybe because of that wall’s compass orientation, or more likely because it is blocked by nearby tall buildings—no rays from the sun ever reach those tiles. Today, however, sunlight briefly streamed into them, and the pool was transformed. It was a beautiful sight, and gave me the energy and joy I needed to do those last two sets fast. I’ve been swimming at this pool since 1996, but I think that’s only the second or third time I’ve seen it sunlit.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Paul Challenge Set

by , November 8th, 2009 at 09:27 AM (Random Nonsense)
    I was tired from the meet.

I was up late last night.

We got up early this morning.

The water was warm.

I ate 2 large plates of Tex-Mex last night.

I had a hang nail.

The Paul Challenge Set was still no problem at 1:28 base SCM. Lazy wife had to adjust her cap ever 100 and still thought it was a pretty easy set.

Warm up
    6x100 odd free, even back
    Paul Challenge Set (2800 SCM)
    4x300 on 4:24
    5x200 on 2:56
    6x100 on 1:28
    Warm down
    6x100 odd free, even back
    4k total

I used the GymBoss to keep track of the interval for me. It is a count down interval timer that you plug in the interval and the number of repeats, and it beeps or vibrates after every interval. Just set it for 28 intervals of 1:28. The only downside is, it is small, so you can't really glance at it to see the remaining time, but of course, it is designed to be worn at the waist for circuit training, not for poolside use. Lives in a ziploc to keep it dry.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Saturday, Nov. 7

by , November 7th, 2009 at 06:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM: Hot Yoga

Went to the 10:00 am 90 minute hot yoga class. This was my easiest class in terms of resisting heat stroke. As always, I'm pretty decent on postures with back bends involved and not so hot on balancing. But I'm improving slightly. Had my fav instructor Insel there today.

Then I went to the last regular season soccer game for my 9 year old. The weather was gorgeous, my daughter rang like a gazelle (she's a natural wingman), and we had a little party afterward.

My lunatic relay partners (who are co-soccer coaches) are anxious awaiting results from the Wrightsville Beach ironman tri taking place today.

PM: Run:

Wasn't sure what exercise to engage in this afternoon. Given the beautiful weather, I opted for a run. Did my usual 5 mile trail loop. The first mile was mildly tortuous after my manic plyo session yesterday and yoga this am, but then my legs relaxed and I felt pretty strong. I still walked a nasty up though.

Meets/Times:

I understand that there is going to be a meet here in PV the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend at the Freedom Center called the "Crawl Brawl." It was supposed to be in meters, but it was switched to yards. God forbid we swim SCM ...

This is slightly ameliorated by the fact that there is now going to be a SCM meet at Wilson High School (site of the Fall Ball). Unfortunately for me, it appears to be a one day meet only the same weekend as NE Champs in Boston.

On a happy note, the IL TT chair corrected his TT submissions and included my LCM times in the 100 fly and 200 back. Mary Beth W. assured me they would appear in the final LCM rankings. Whew!

Off to dinner with friends ....
    Categories
    Running , Yoga
  5. Meet Report: November USAS "A" Meet

by , November 7th, 2009 at 05:50 PM (Random Nonsense)
    50 free: 24.20
    -- Last meet: 24.41
    -- Masters best: 24.14 (Zones last April)
    100 free: 53.43 (Master's best)
    -- Last meet: 54.04

About my stroke:

Friday I was asked when I was using the new KPN stroke. I thought this was rather strange, but some people think I am more talented than I am. I only have one stroke at a time, so I am using the wide entry, front quadrant stroke, which (to me) is a radical departure from head entry, rear quadrant I was doing a month ago.

About the swims:
    Our old master's coach is a long time age group coach and has something to do with the National open water team. I didn't chat on the wall enough to get the details, but I know she is invited to parties with Olympians and I am not. The review of the swims is from her and I respect her opinion.

The 50 was a good solid swim. Decent start, good break out, got out on top of the water, had a decent turn and a strong finish. My turn over is too slow and my turns could be faster. She was thrilled with this swim. I was happy with this swim, I was just looking for a solid 50 after the stroke changes to see where I am at.

The 100 was similar, but I swam a gradual decline. She said I really need to focus on hitting my 3rd 25 and my 3rd 50 of my 200 solidly, and not slide from 2 to 3.

About the meet:

This was a much better meet for me just from a comfort standpoint. I was down on deck, and there were no parents. The kids had no problem with me being there, and the size difference is much smaller at an A meet.

One of the guys I swim with is a coach, but I had no idea until I saw him on deck. A coach of another team came by to chat. His fastest swimmer is a Master's swimmer and he just wanted to say that he was glad to see me at the meet for whatever my reasons and that when his swimmer Chris gets in with the kids or races against the kids it is a great motivator for the kids.

Friday night one of the older kids sat on the same bench as me that was off away from all the action. We had a friendly chat, made a few jokes, he slept on the bench for a while, got up made the joke "Welp, it's another swim meet" because it had been about 2 hours since we had been in the water and it would be another 15 minutes before he swam. Lots of waiting. Nice guy, ended up getting 2nd in the 400IM.

As I walked up to the blocks for the 50, the timer goes, "Wait, aren't you 12 & under?" Everyone had a good laugh.

After my 50, a guy stepped up to me as I was climbing out, patted me on the back "Good swim, glad to see you here." He was probably in his 40s and swam a 22.55 two heats after me.

Today in the 100, I was in 5 and 4, 5 and 6 had a race to the finish. After the swim, the guy in 4 gave me a backhand punch to the midsection (might be a guy thing) and said "Great race".

Overall, a very positive experience.

Next meet is a masters meet! Three or four events in a few hours I am looking forward to it.

Recovery tomorrow with Paul's Challenge set

Updated November 7th, 2009 at 06:28 PM by qbrain

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Dance in the morning, drink at night!

Saturdays usually find me at ballet class. For the past few weeks, though, while rehabbing some Achilles tendonitis, I have been doing a floor-barre class instead. If you’ve never heard of floor-barre, it’s a really fiendish set of exercises done lying down that are designed to work most of the major muscles essential for ballet—abs, adductors, glutes, and “outward rotators,” ie those hip muscles responsible for turning your legs outward like ballet dancers do. It’s only an hour class, but pretty intense.

My first meet is two weeks from today—the Bearcats Sprint Meet at Baruch College in Manhattan. I will be swimming 50 FR, 100 BK, and 100 BR, and probably two relay 50s. My last meet was in June, so it’s been a while. Here are the things I need to do between now and then to feel confident at my meet:

1. Work on my backstroke starts.
    2. Do some sprint BR, and continue BR turn work.
    3. Do some fast FR from a dive.
    4. Practice some FR turns at 50-sprint speed.
    5. Scout out Baruch College pool for a quiet place to cocoon during meet. [In addition to sitting with my teammates and/or meet buddies, which I do for most of the meet, I generally like to find a little corner away from the action where I can go when I need some focus time before my races. Since my team practices at the Baruch pool, I can scout this out ahead of time. The diving areas of pools often work for this—empty plastic hot tubs or spaces under trampolines provide promising spots—but Baruch has no diving boards. I’m sure I can find a spot somewhere nearby, though.]
    6. Decide on meet suit.

I’m going to my team’s wine tasting tonight, then to our Sunday morning workout tomorrow. Should be an interesting combination!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Traditional Saturday workout

by , November 7th, 2009 at 02:41 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just the usual 2000 yards with the girls today. Nothing fancy, I let them pick the drills.

Now on to house cleaning. YUCK!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Sat Nov 7th, 2009 Trained with UT men

by , November 7th, 2009 at 02:27 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat Nov 7th, 2009

Trained with UT MEN

MEETS:

University of the Incarnate Word (SCM) Masters Meet
    Saturday, November 21 & Sunday 22, 2009
    13 Days till San Antonio

2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships
    December 4th - 6th, 2009 at Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

26 Days till Long Beach

FOUR OR MORE SDKs off EVERY wall

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY BLOCKS
    8:00 - 10:00
    Eddie & Kris coached
    UT Swim Center main pool north end
    Swam with UT men
    dove in 8:06 had to park far, team dove in around 8:04

WORE briefs

warm up
    missed

MAIN SET

several rounds of 150 200
    skipped a few 50's

2 rounds of
    2 x 50 k on 50 100 k on 1:40
    2 x 50 k on 45 100 k on 1:40
    2 x 50 k on 40 100 k on 1:40
    eddie said I could do what I wanted but I did the set 1,200 k

assigned 6 x 50
    did 3 x 50

changed into my oldest B70

main set quadrathlon
    UT Men wore briefs did 150's of each stroke, I did 50's
    we went in 6 or 7 heats of 6
    lanes 1 & 8 were swim down lanes
    off blocks coaches go
    Eddie timed me
    swam down around 150 to 200 after each swim

50 fly 23.4

50 bk 24.5 went too deep on start

50 br 29.3

50 fr 21.9
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Day 49

5x100 FR@2:00
    300 Kick
    200 Drill

2x200 FR Pull@3:30
    2x100 FR Pull@2:00
    2x50 FR Pull@1:00

200 Easy

1900 SCY Indoors Solo

started the pull set thinking I could do 5x200 pull...after 2 I changed the set...still not ready for that much.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. P90X Plyos, Fri., Nov. 6

by , November 6th, 2009 at 08:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    P90X:

Too busy to hit the pool or gym today, so I decided to do the P90X plyo DVD late this afternoon. It's 60 minutes, with about 15 for warm up and warm down. It's a pretty butt kicking intense workout. My thighs were definitely burning at parts, and I ignored the "now speed it up" instruction that came at several junctures. I can see where people say this is a fat shredding/calorie burning workout -- you're really working all the body's large muscles. I didn't feel the need for a heart rate monitor, which they recommended. My heart rate was up, but not super high. Next time, I'll probably try to do the individual plyos more intensely. I wouldn't recommend jumping into this workout without having done some plyos beforehand. Of course, you can do it in a modified/easier way. It felt l like an hour of squats! I am wondering how the legs will feel tomorrow ...

And I did not hit pause even once!

Here's what's in the workout:

The exercises are grouped into rounds, and each round gets repeated once. The breakdown is as follows:

1) Jump squat, run stance squat, airborne heisman (lateral leaping), swing kick
    2) Squat reach jump, run stance squat with direction switch, double airborne heisman, circle run
    3) Jump knee tuck,* jumping lunge, leapfrog squat, twist combo
    4) Rock star hop, gap jump, squat jack, military march
    5) Run squat with 180 jump, lateral leapfrog, monster truck tire, hot foot
    6) Bonus round: pitch & catch, jump shot, football move (60 seconds each)**

* This plyo is the hardest in the context of the workout. It's so hard to do them continuously. And jumping from a standstill is harder than squatting first.

* Out of pure stubbornness, I didn't do the catch and pitch. Seemed too irrelevant. So I did jumping jills during this part. But I liked the jump shot and football move.

An description of how to do each plyo is found here:

http://www.fitnessdestinations.com/p...2-plyometrics/

And other descriptions of the DVD:

http://workoutjourney.com/p90x-plyometrics

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/exerc...-2-of-12/20499

I don't have any other P90X DVDs. But my son said they did the Ab Ripper DVD at his dryland/weight training practice for crew. Even he admitted it's hard, so I'm assuming that's true as he's tough as nails. My brother, who has lost 20 pounds on the P90X program after being lazy with two toddlers for a few years, says the Core Synergistics one is pretty taxing and effective as well. I'm fairly sure there's nothing in either one that you couldn't do on your own.

Death of Squats:

Got this email from the company I bought my power wheel from. Can it be true, Q?

http://www.functionalstrengthcoach3.com/squats.html

Updated November 6th, 2009 at 08:32 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  11. May I Take Your Order

by , November 6th, 2009 at 07:45 PM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    "The art of progress is to preserve order amid change and to preserve change amid order"
    - Alfred North Whitehead
    Meet Entry
    Event Order

Our next step this year was to finalize the meet entry and submit it with our application to receive our sanction. The meet entry first designed and developed during our initial meet has remained essentially the same each year since.

When the procedures, policies, etc. were first put together for the meet, I decided (since I was the first director) to design and run a meet the way I thought it should be. Although not a meet-aholic, I did have some definite ideas on how not to run a meet based on what saw at our local ones. The order of events was one item to take a fresh new look at.

First, I like to swim all breaststroke distances, so I wanted all stroke events to be spread out. I attend a local SCM meet every spring where two breaststroke events are separated by only one event, despite hitting the meet directors over the head every year to get them to move one of them. I did not want anyone whining at our meet, so the order was developed to benefit those who like to swim all three distances of one stroke.

Second, some swimmers like to swim all 50s, and some nuts like to swim all 200s. These were spread out to allow swimmers to do so. Since the 500-free tends to drag on and is popular (we were the only Potomac Valley SCY meet offering this event), it was placed first to get it out of the way. If it was last, a lot of people would leave before the end of the meet out of boredom. The best attempt was made to separate stroke events from IM events, since almost every IMer has at least one good stroke event to swim.

Ever been to a meet where you did not sign up for two events because they were too close to one another, and then discovered at the meet that there was a break between them? Our break in the middle of the meet would be clearly indicated on the meet entry to prevent those surprises.

We planned the coconut relay for the end of the meet, and wanted swimmers to stick around to enter it. I tried a little meet engineering and swimmer manipulation. With the 50-free being the most popular race, it was placed as the next to last event, to keep a large number of swimmers around for the fun relay. The last event was the 400-IM to give the awards table time to enter the previous 50-free results.

One final note about the event order. All local meets I attend have the same event order year after year after year after year. Unfortunately, this prevents me from trying certain events because they are too close to my prime events. Our Tropical Splash event order is changed every year. A few events like 500 and 50-free and relays remain constant in our order, but all others are rearranged annually to keep the meet fresh, and to give swimmers a chance to try other events.

This year after the order was finalized and sent in for the sanction, I took another look. There were more longer events in the first half and more shorter ones in the second half. Oh well, maybe this year I will get our first complaints about the meet order. And maybe the sprinters will stick around to the end to "swim with the 'nuts."

BOOK OF WISDOM
    • Come up with some way to keep the meet fresh every year.
    • Come up with a good event order (or end up discouraging swimmers from entering.)

Updated November 10th, 2009 at 06:58 AM by Rnovitske

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Run plus swim

by , November 6th, 2009 at 07:43 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Did a 10k recovery run at a 9:40 per mile pace. Beautiful day to do a run with the leaves starting to peak.

Swam an easy 1800 yards while team was practicing. Got to do some starts with the team. The coach noted that my reaction time was slow but my jump off the start and break-out were great. This is good to know. Hope to work a little bit on the reaction thing.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Thursday November 5, 2009

I slept in Thursday. I swam Thursday night on my own before pilates. I had just over 30 minutes. I was planning on running before pilates but my running shoes were at work (beside my purse oddly enough).

W/U
    200 FR
    200 K
    200 Pull
    200 FR

6 x 50 done as 2 x (50 fl, 50 br, 50 fr) on 1:00

25 fast - went :15
    50 fast - try to go 25 time x 2 +1 went :31
    100 fast - double 50 time and add 2 - went 1:09 - felt awful I was thrashing - blech! I've gone 1:04/1:05 in practice before.

75 ez

3 x 50 ez fl, br, fr

Hour of pilates on the reformer. LOVING pilates. Hope to try hot yoga this weekend now that I'm back and back to 100%.

My plan for tomorrow is to get up early (yuck) and swim. Then go back to bed then run a couple of miles.

Sunday I want to run and do hot yoga. I'm trying like crazy to get in shape for Long Beach.

Events at Long Beach:
    100 Free (Friday)

50 Free & 50 Fly (Saturday)

100 Fly, 200 Free, 100 IM (Sunday)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Mental Health Day Swim

I took a vacation day today, mainly because I seriously needed to get away from my office far a day to preserve what's left of my sanity. Also, my pool will be closed this weekend for a USA Swimming meet, and this gives me a chance to get a swim in. (The pool closes early on Friday nights and I generally can't get to the pool in time.)

Anyway, I went to the pool around 1:30 and I was surprised to find that it closes on Fridays from 2:30 to 5, for the kids' team workout. This meant a short workout.

But I also found (not for the first time) tha ti ave a lot more energy in daytime workouts than at night. I suppose this makes sense -- I'm not as tired (or worn out) from my job. It may not be totally physical fatigue, but the mental fatigue has an effect. Anyway, it was the best quality workout that I've had all week -- faster swims -- even if it was shorter.

I should do this more often -- if I can.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Fri Nov 6th, 2009 DOUBLE

by , November 6th, 2009 at 03:38 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri Nov 6th, 2009 NOON
    2nd work out today

decided to go to the NOON work out & take another whack at the 100 SDK for time
    kinda like a prelim final meet. plus I need to be ready to race 5 or 6 times a day

Sat Nov 7th 8:00 am I'm going to work out with UT MEN, do a quadrathlon

ADDED THE LINK to the meet infor for the Incarnate Word SCM Meet, I really like this pool & hope we get a great team turn out.

MEETS:

14 Days till San Antonio

27 Days till Long Beach

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY BLOCKS
    NOON to 1:15
    Tyler coached
    UT Swim Center main pool north end, set up for
    Swam with Larry, Erin, Max & James Fike
    arrived 12:20 ish

WORE B70 legs

warm up
    missed

MAIN SET

100 easy

100 easy

assigned 4 x 50 fast on 2:00
    did 3 kick, went 27, 27, 24.8

assigned 5 x 200 fast on 4:00
    did a few easy speed 50's

assigned 10 minute pull
    skipped it

changed into my
    B70 Full

100 SDK fast for time from dive
    roll off blocks
    tyler timed
    went 53.9
    (my lifetime best 100 SDK time)
    went out easier but still surfaced to breathe & broke streamline,
    going to try surfacing & staying streamlined

100 easy

25 belly SDK fast
    roll start
    tyler timed
    went 9.9
    15 meter split 5.6

25 easy

Noticed my B70's left BUTT cheek has a rip
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Friday afternoon playdate with the water

I swam solo this afternoon, and my swim really felt more like playing than working out. Here's what I did.

1000 warmup

10 x 100 IM @ 1:45, odds standard IMs, evens IM variants
    [For the IM variants, I did all-breaststroke-kick IM, upside down IM, corkscrew IM, IM-order-arms-with-reverse-IM-order-legs, and feet first IM (just a 50 of this, since it's pretty slow)]

Then a thoughtful 400 IM combining kick and swim, focusing on what body movements were propelling me through the water, what might be impeding that movement, how I was powering various motions in my stroke, whether muscles I wasn't using were staying relaxed, that sort of thing.

Then, since I was feeling in that sort of mood, I did one of my favorite technique sets, which I think of as "wrong way/right way" 50s. Basically, you exagerate a stroke flaw on the first 25 of a 50, then fix it on the 2nd 25. Here's the freestyle stroke flaws I focused on doing, then correcting:
    *unstreamlinedness (not just on the push-off, but on hand entry, body position, and kicking amplitude)
    *head position--looking ahead rather than down at bottom of pool
    *crossover arm entry
    *back arching
    *dropped elbows
    I did these 5 flaws twice through, for a total of 2 x (5 x 50). It is amazing how easy and good it feels to your stroke efficiently after swimming it really badly.
    Then I did a 50-100-150-200 FR progression on ample rest,focusing on maintaining great form throughout.

Then, since I hadn't done much of anything that felt hard, I did a semifast kick set, 12 x 50 K @ 1:00, odds FR, evens ST. I tried to keep all the kicks under :50, and on the last 3 I replaced the first 25 of the 50 with a sprint 25 swim.

Then easy 200 plus some sculling and dophin jumps to warm down.

I left feeling dreamy and eager for my meets to get here!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Lots of Backstroke

by , November 6th, 2009 at 01:52 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    11/6/09

SCY, with Carrie

300 swim free
    200 IM kick
    300 pull back, w/buoy only

swim 3 sets of 4 x 100 back:
    Set #1 on 1:40,
    (averaged 1:28, took about 20 extra sec after #4 so the clock could come to the top)
    Set #2 on 1:35,
    (averaged 1:25, took about 40 extra sec after #4 so the clock could come to the top)
    Set #3 on 1:40:
    (averaged 1:24, this set hurt a bit)

100 easy

pull free w/paddles&buoy:
    3x around: {150 on 2:30, 50 on 1:00 fast}
    (averaged 2:05 on the 150's, 35 on the 50's)

swim down 200
    --
    Total: 2900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. FAST Fri Nov 6th, 2009, lifetime best 100 SDK

by , November 6th, 2009 at 11:11 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri Nov 6th, 2009

Following Moscow world cup at http://tr.im/omega

6:00 pm Today UT Women have a duel meet vs A&M Women in Austin, TX

8:00 am Tomorrow I'm doing a quadrathlon with UT Men

MEETS:

14 Days till San Antonio

27 Days till Long Beach

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY no blocks
    %:30 - 8:00
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center diving well
    Swam with tyler, todd, nate, ned, mike & mark

WORE B70 full

warm up
    15 minutes choice

MAIN SET

200 FREE FAST FOR TIME on 5:00
    went 1:52

4 x 50 fr fast on 2:00
    went 25, 24, 23, 23

moved up to diving well where we swam in 5 stations 5 minutes in each one, minute & a half to move.
    1) 10 x 25
    odds FL fast on 15 went 12's
    evens easy on 45
    2) 5 x 50 on 1:00 done 25 SDK shooter 25 easy K on back
    3) 5:00 swim (did half)
    4)5:00 pull (did half)
    5) vertical kick:
    assigned :30 sec with weight
    :30 no weight,
    Did :30 with weight :30 rest

100 easy

rest 5:00

100 SDK fast for time from dive
    went 54
    (which is my lifetime best 100 SDK time)
    needed to stay streamlined longer on 2nd 50

100 easy

Updated November 6th, 2009 at 03:20 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. The Fly Nut is Back

by , November 6th, 2009 at 07:56 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just felt so good this morning and it was Long Course, I couldn't help myself. Yes I did the 500 Fly but with fins. It was EASY!

400, 300, 200, 100 @:15R Free
    500 Free Kick w/fins
    500 Fly w/fins
    500 Back kick w/fins concentrate on strong kick with good rotation
    300 Free w/paddles & bouy Long stroke
    5x100@2:00 Free sprint 15 meters in and out of wall
    200 Free EASY

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Swim and Yoga

by , November 5th, 2009 at 10:41 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    A big workout day for me! I know I will sleep well tonight!

Warm-up: 500 easy free, 300 kick

100, 200, 300, 400, 500 free - work streamline and stroke - 30 seconds rest

6 x 100 with fins - 35 underwater, 65 easy - 1 minute rest

100 easy

10 x 50 - build on 30 seconds rest- did free/fly on odds and free/free on evens

500 stretch out swim

4 x 25 fly with fins AFAP on :45

100 easy

4 x 25 back with fins AFAP on :45

200 easy

Immediately went to the yoga workout after this workout. I was pretty tight in my hamstrings. Must be from the running.

Have had a change of heart about the swim meet on December 5. Schedule looks like I may be able to do it afterall. It sure won't be pretty, but I really need to get a meet in as it has already been 5 months since my last one. Don't want to wait until Auburn or else it would have been 8 months!

Don't know what I will swim yet, but definitely planning on the 50 fly. Thinking about 50 free, 50 back, 100 I.M., and 100 free.
    Categories
    Uncategorized