View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -06/21/10

by , June 18th, 2010 at 03:25 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

WARM UP:
    3 X 100 1:45
    4 X 150 2:30
    1 X 300 negative split

2 X 150 kick 3:45
    4 X 50 kick 1:15

2 X 100 2:20
    2 X 50 easy free 1:10
    Three times through.
    100's: best stroke, no free.
    Each round of 100's should be faster.

3 X 100 1:45
    2 X 50 easy free 1:00
    Three times through.
    100's are free.
    Each set of three should be faster.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4000M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Friday, 6/18/10

by , June 18th, 2010 at 12:10 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

I had the entire outdoor pool to myself this morning. :-) Don't get why everyone swims in the indoor pool when it's so nice out.

Warm - up
    300 swim
    (did as 75 free/75 back x 2)
    4 x 50/50 descend
    (went 45 -> 43)
    8 x 25/30
    (strong alternated free and back)

Main Sets:
    Kick
    7 x Set – 20sr after swim
    50 kick uw
    (went as far as I could with SDK, about 12-15 m, then kicked on back to wall each way)
    25 right side
    25 left side
    50 12 -3 -12
    50 Swim

Swim
    24 x 25/40 STRONG
    (went IM order on 1-12, then alternated free and back on the rest)

Cool Down
    100 ez free

Total: 2800 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. FAST Friday Jun 18th 2010

by , June 18th, 2010 at 10:34 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST Friday Jun 18th 2010

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=216620&postcount=1460"]Swim Faster Faster INDEX[/ame]

here's another video of my 200 IM from 2010 SC Nats that _Steve_ shot,
    Thanks Steve.
    It was interesting to watch my race from that angle
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnIwyzNuw3c"]YouTube- Ande's 200IM.AVI[/nomedia]

Good luck to the UT swimmers at Santa Clara
    real time results

2010 Swimnetwork.com Santa Clara Grand Prix
    06/17/10 - 06/20/10 Santa Clara, CA

& the ones at the Sr Cir meet at A&M in College Station, TX
    June 18 - 20, 2010
    Real Time Results

Swim Fast

LCM
    Whitney Coached
    6:30 am - 8:00 am
    Austin UT Swim Center
    swam with Tyler Todd, Mike, Larry, Nate, Teneille & sharon
    dove in on time
    wore b 70 jammers

WARM UP
    20 min choice, stop at 6:50

MAIN SET scy

4 rounds of
    100 fast from a dive 100 easy on 5:00
    50 fast from a dive 50 easy on 3:00
    1 100 fr 64 50 fl 28
    2 100 fr 62 50 bk 31
    3 100 fr 61 50 br 36
    4 100 fr 60 50 fl 28

VERTICAL KICKING
    4 rounds of 1:00 on 15 sec off
    whinteny told us to keep our elbows out of the water, I'm not a fan of VK

DROP DOWN SET Long Course
    50's
    start at 1:00,
    drop 1 sec each round
    I made 36 & didn't attempt 35
    todd made 34 & missed 33 but he was pulling with his massive blue paddles

100 easy

2010 MEETS:

July 8 - 11, 2010
    Senior Circuit #4 Meet Info
    Austin, TX
    entered:
    8 50 Freestyle,
    20 100 Butterfly,
    22 50 backstroke,
    28 200 Individual Medley,
    50 breastroke, &
    50 butterfly

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    2010 South Central Long Course
    Southlake, Texas
    Days till LCM ZONES
    Entered Zones yesterday & got my hotel

Updated June 18th, 2010 at 12:36 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. He Was In A Bind Because He Was Far Behind

by , June 18th, 2010 at 10:19 AM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    Today's mix was all theme. Geography bee!

It also made good workout music but unfortunately I had to grab my iPod and go to work before the full mix finished. I could have used some Sinatra before my day. I thought of doing this thanks to someone on the blogs talking about "Virginia" songs. Sadly, and despite spending four years of college in Richmond, I don't have any Virginia songs in my collection. Maybe I'll pick up some if I do this kind of mix again.

Georgia On My Mind, Ray Charles,
    Mexico, Cake, Prolonging The Magic
    Stop In Nevada, Billy Joel, Piano Man
    Hotel California, Eagles, Hotel California
    America, Karen Olivo;Jennifer Sanchez, West Side Story - The New Broadway Cast Recording
    Nashville, Indigo Girls, Rites Of Passage
    Sweet Home Alabama, Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Tennessee, Arrested Development, Entertainment Weekly: The Greatest Hits - 1992
    Cowtown, They Might Be Giants, Lincoln - The only "Pretend" place on the list!
    New York, U2, All That You Can't Leave Behind
    Philadelphia Freedom, Elton John, Greatest Hits 1970-2002
    The Devil Went Down To Georgia, Charlie Daniels Band - every time I hear this it reminds me of the 1996 Olympic gymnast, whatshername.
    California Sun (Cover), The Ramones
    Kalifornia, Fatboy Slim, You've Come a Long Way Baby
    Texarkana, R.E.M., Out Of Time
    America, Neil Diamond
    New York City, They Might Be Giants, Factory Showroom
    Walking in London, Concrete Blonde, Walking in London
    Africa, Toto, Billboard Top Hits - 1983
    Streets Of Philadelphia, Bruce Springsteen, The All Time Greatest Movie Songs CD1
    Omaha, Counting Crows, Face The Promise Land
    NYC, Interpol, Turn On The Bright Lights
    Texas Flood, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Greatest Hits
    America, Simon & Garfunkel, Simon & Garfunkel Greatest Hits
    New York, New York, Frank Sinatra
    America The Beautiful, Ray Charles

The workout was thus:

2x250 - 50 kick, 100 drill, 100 swim
    100 swim
    4x125 free descend
    6x75 breathe 3, 5, 7
    4x75 stroke
    3x225 pull, stroke, swim
    25 recover
    100 warm down

It felt pretty good this morning. I almost actually made it through all the 75's doing the correct breathing pattern, which felt good, because building lung capacity has been one of my primary goals this year. The key really was to go slow, and not panic, or give up if I didn't make the 7-stroke on the first try.

If anyone else has had success with lung capacity, I'd love to hear it. I just found a new yoga place in the area, and I'd like to see if getting back into that routine helps at all. My favorite local studio went out of business 3 years ago, and I've been missing it dearly. I think yoga is just the greatest supplement to everything, but I cannot seem to do it unless I'm in a class situation.

Updated June 18th, 2010 at 10:21 AM by swimmerb212 (spell check!)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Friday's Swim

by , June 18th, 2010 at 09:06 AM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Swam with the Sharks SCY
    Coach Alex

Warm up 4 x 200 SKPS

8 x 75 Rotating IM :10r

4 x 50 Descend both Stroke's and Time on :50

5 x 100 All Out Lots of rest.
    We did them on 2 min instead. It's hard for
    me to go all out at 6am. I had a bad night's sleep, I was up 3 or 4 times,
    I hate that. I did manage a 1:06 on the last one, the rest
    were not really my best effort :-)

Alex had LACTATE as the emphasis
    on this set, The girls in lane 3 were chuckling about his choice of words.
    We have one girl who is about 7 months along and she missed this workout.
    She was really the only one ready for it :-)

3 x 200 on 2:45

I did 2:35, 2:35, 2:30

200 Warm down.

Alex just needs to figure out our intervals.
    He'll get it. It's not easy jumping in and coaching all the different levels we have.
    He got Jorge to swim fly today.
    Alex is great at helping the novice swimmers.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Friday, June 18, 2010

by , June 18th, 2010 at 09:04 AM (Keepin Track 2010)
    How is it the middle of June already?

Morning workout today at Wirth. Storms last night, so a bit of a late start after pulling covers.

600 MIX
    8x50 (25 IM order, 25 FR)

2x (P200, S2x100, S2x50 Kick with flips) 1:40 base

WD
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. A ho hum Friday

by , June 18th, 2010 at 07:40 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just not motivated today so I just worked on stroke stuff.

400, 300, 200, 100@:15R Free
    500 Free kick w/fins moderate every 3rd 25 fast
    5x100@:05R choice of drill w/fins mixed it up
    5x200@3:15 Free w/paddles & bouy make the interval
    6x50 from dive sprint 25's rest easy

Total 3300 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Thursday, June 17

by , June 18th, 2010 at 12:09 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Took an easy 3 mile run about 7 this evening. This seems to be the best time to run these days with the heat. I think all of my outdoor runs with perhaps the exception of some intervals at the track are going to have to be easy. The heat and humidity are too much to do otherwise. If I do a tempo run, I think I'll do it on the treadmill.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Swim, Thursday, June 17

by , June 17th, 2010 at 09:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = fly drill
    evens = breast drill

100 scull

Main set:

3 x 100 dolphin kick on back w/MF @ 2:00
    cruise, fast @ 80%, cruise

4 x 50 single arm fly

3 x 100 breast w/MF @ 2:00

4 x 50 back w/paddles @ :50

3 x 100 dolphin kick on back w/MF @ 2:00

4 x 50 russian breast drill

50 EZ

Pull set:

5 x 150 free w/paddles @ 2:30

I just cruised, trying to focus on head position and kicking through my breath. I also, maybe for one of the first times ever, focused on body roll in freestyle. OMG, I had much better DPS and the tiniest ephemeral glimpse into the mindset of a 200 freestyler. I'm so used to only sprinting free, that I've completely forgotten this "gait" as Swimsuit Addict would call it. I find it rather hard to "lope" in paddles though; I swim more symmetrically with them on.

50 EZ

Total: 3150

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

*&%$##@&^*%$$$!!!

Detox sucks! I am just dead, and dead in the water. Very enervated. I had planned on doing more kicking today, but my legs were sore from Kenpo and my left hamstring was, to use Stud's terms, ever so slightly dodgy. I only went about :56 on my quasi fast dolphin kicks, which is fairly slow for me. I just had no fast gear or any energy. So broccoli stalks and pears are not a good training diet. Tomorrow, I get to add back more fruits and veggies and white rice. Woohoo! (sarcasm)

On the upside, my GI symptoms have resolved, and I feel like I've lost weight. Probably haven't; I'm likely just not bloated from whatever food I'm intolerant of. Since I've eliminated gluten largely, I think it's milk products such as whey and casein that are the culprit. I'm inclined to get tested for food allergies when I return from vacation. I just fear that that could produce some false positives, and there's enough food I already have to avoid.

So, I'm re-ditching anything with whey protein in it, and sticking with hemp protein:

"Manitoba Harvest Hemp PRO 70is easy for the body to digest and assimilate because it doesn’t contain gluten or added sugars, and it’s free of the enzyme inhibitor found in soy and other legumes and grains that can prevent protein absorption and cause bloating and digestive challenges. Unlike many other protein powders on the market today, hemp is not known to be an allergen for people with food sensitivities. Hemp PRO 70 has been made without the use of Hexane, a petrochemical commonly used to make soy and other protein isolates."

I think my Proasis shots look safe as well: https://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/s...ategoryDisplay. Most other protein shots contain whey.

On a related note, I chatted with a mom with a gluten intolerance while supervising the "Roman Shot Put" at my third grader's end of the school year Olympic party. She said that Whole Foods was now stocking a gluten free bread that is actually edible, called Udi's. I bought some today to try. In fact, it may be the first thing I have on Day 9 of the detox when I can add back grains. I'm dying for some carbs!

I may just take tomorrow off if I'm feeling this way again and do some last minute shopping/errands for vacation. But Saturday looks bleak for exercise too with a soccer tournament and a dance recital. I may compromise and do P90X Stretch or P90X Yoga or another of my yoga DVDs. I think hot yoga would not be the best option, as it's so taxing.

My shoulders/back can feel the paddle work. Not in a scary, my RCs are hurt way; just in a fatigued sort of way.

Exercise Not Enough To Lose Weight:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.4656acf.html

Sugar Free Foods Suck:

http://www.latimes.com/news/health/l...,7648192.story

Updated June 17th, 2010 at 09:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Snakes, and galloping vs trotting in the pool

Today I swam the noontime workout at Asphalt Green. Here’s what we did:

600 warmup

8 x 75 K/D/S @ :10 rest, odds FR, evens ST

8 x 50 FR w/ 6 breaths per 50 @ 4 breaths rest [This is the first hypoxic set that I’ve actually been able to do in I don’t know how long. I kept things very long and smooth (6 breaths per 50 turns out to be 4-stroke breathing for me). It was very calming, and nice for the rest interval to be tied to breathing.]

10 x 100 @ 1:35, maintaining best avg pace [I alternated 100 FR and 50 FR / 50 BK, and kept them all 1:18-1:20.]

1 x 75 FR from the blocks for time [:48]

225 warmdown

This was a nice workout, with a good mixture of technique work and faster swimming (yet at intervals that allowed me to still focus on technique stuff). It was also nice to actually get to the pool on time today and get in a decent warmup.

Fun factoid of the day: Snakes have different gaits, just like horses (and humans). Besides slithering, snakes can side-wind (lateral movement that requires lifting part of its body: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rcbXiHHeAc&feature=related"]YouTube- snake in the desert[/nomedia] ) and move in “concertina mode” (folding and straightening itself like an accordion).

The article I garnered this little nugget from didn’t mention whether snakes’ gaits are simply dependent on the speed they want to go, or whether factors like the surface they are on or particular behaviors (stalking, for example), influence their gait. I’m also not sure whether all species of snakes can do all of these gaits. The article was most concerned with analyzing the physics of slithering.

(I believe that hoop snakes employ a unique gait among reptiles.)

I’ve been thinking about gaits in swimming ever since I read in Fortress’s blog that she used a different technique for her LC free than for her SC free (lopey vs straight-armed, I think.). I definitely have different gaits for different freestyle speeds—while I can slow down my sprinterly FR, at least to a point, by simply moving slower and with less power while keeping my rhythm and movements roughly the same, it’s actually more efficient to transition instead into a distance free mode (gait) by switching to a two-beat kick, rotating more, and narrowing my hand entry position. This is analogous to it being more efficient to walk at slower paces than to run slowly.

In fly I also have different gaits for different speeds—I pause and glide at the catch in the front of my stroke when doing “endurance” fly, while my sprint fly involves more constant arm movement. For backstroke, though, I think I keep the same rhythm and movements when transitioning through different paces—my 50 backstroke is just a faster and more powerful version of the movements that I would use to do a 1000 back. I do a six-beat kick when sprinting BK, and while it often looks as though I’m not kicking at all when backstroking slowly, I’m actually doing a 6-beat foot twitch, which keeps my rhythm intact even if it doesn’t generate much power.

So as I was swimming today and yesterday I paid particular attention to the changes I was making when slipping from one gait to another, with the idea that comparing what I was doing at different speeds could lead to ways to improve my technique. In fly for example, my glidey long-distance fly works for me because the pause at the beginning of each stroke allows me to get a really good catch at the beginning of my stroke, which allows me to pull mostly straight back with power. This stroke is sustainable because I allow my core and legs to simply follow, rather than using those big muscles to generate much power.

When I go faster, though, the catch-pause gets eliminated, and my hands flounder around before finding a good position to pull back from. My pull actually becomes less efficient, but the increased propulsion from more powerful and faster kicking more than compensates for that. So on my faster fly I need to focus on entering in front of my shoulders and establishing a firm anchor point at the front of my stroke sooner, instead of letting my hands wander around before pulling them through the water. (More strength and better flexibility would probably help here—the former I can definitely improve upon, the latter I’m wary of trying to increase).

On breaststroke I think I pretty much keep the same gait at different distances, just speed up my tempo to go faster. I’ve seen good breaststrokers that seem to have a completely different stroke for their 200 than for their 50, though.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Thursday, 6/17/10

by , June 17th, 2010 at 02:19 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warm – up
    200 swim free
    200 kick 100 w/board/100 on back

Main Sets:
    Back Pull
    8 x 100 Back Pull w/Fins
    (ave 1:30 - I don't go any faster w/fins and paddles than I do without the toys.)

Back Swim:
    1 x 100/2:00 (free - 1:20)
    2 x 200/4:00 strong
    (back: #1 - 3:05, #2 - 3:08)
    4 x 25 Brst/30 (ave 25)

2 x 200/4:00 strong
    (back: #1 - 3:02, #2 - 3:03
    )
    4 x 25 Brst/30 (ave 25)

2 x 200/5:00 VERY STRONG
    (back: #1 - 2:57, #2 - 2:55)

4 x 25 fly/30 (ave 20)

Cool Down
    200 easy free and back

Total: 3200 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -06/18/10

by , June 17th, 2010 at 02:15 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    2 X 200 3:30
    4 X 100 1:40
    1 X 400 build -

5 X 100 kick 2:30

6 X 200
    1-2: free 3:20
    3-4: IM 4:00
    5-6: 50 stroke/50 free 3:45

4 X {4 X 50 1:15
    Within each round: All choice.
    #1 25 easy/25 fast
    #2 25 fast/25 easy
    #3 Fast
    #4 Easy

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

3900M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. 6/17/10 workout

Overslept this morning and missed working out with the age groupers. Went to rec and swam on my own later in morning.

25yard pool

Warmup:
    500 whatever
    6x75's @ 1:20 kick/drill/swim
    6x50's @ 50

Main Sets:
    10x100's free @ 1:15, decend 1-5 and 5-10

3x300's @ 4:00. 100fly/100free/100fly, in the fly, the 3rd 100fly should be faster than the first, the middle 100free is cruise nice pace. went 3:30, 3:25, 3:20

5x200 IM's @ 2:45

Warmdown:
    5x50's@ 50 , 5breaths first 50, then 4,3,2 & 1 for others

4400 yards

The 3x300's is my favorite distance fly set. Normally I would do 5 but was pressed for time and needed to get to work
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Thursday Jun 17th 2010

by , June 17th, 2010 at 12:24 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thursday Jun 17th 2010

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=216620&postcount=1460"]Swim Faster Faster INDEX[/ame]

here's another video of my 200 IM from 2010 SC Nats that _Steve_ shot
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnIwyzNuw3c"]YouTube- Ande's 200IM.AVI[/nomedia]

LCM
    Whitney Coached
    Austin UT Swim Center
    swam with Erin & it was her last day she's moving back to Australia, Tyler Todd, Larry, Jon, Teneille & Kelly
    dove in on time
    wore b 70 jammers

WARM UP

MAIN SET scy

8 x 150 fr & bk on 2:00
    lead the lane & made it
    held 1:50 to 1:54's

400 fr

6 x 150 fr & bk on 2:00
    went 2nd behind tyler
    Made it

4 x 150 fr & bk on 2:00
    went 2nd behind todd who pulled with his big ole paddles
    made it & held 1:44's & 5's

200 easy

2010 MEETS:

July 8 - 11, 2010
    Senior Circuit #4 Meet Info
    Austin, TX
    entered:
    8 50 Freestyle,
    20 100 Butterfly,
    22 50 backstroke,
    28 200 Individual Medley,
    50 breastroke, &
    50 butterfly

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    2010 South Central Long Course
    Southlake, Texas
    Days till LCM ZONES
    Entered Zones yesterday & got my hotel

Updated June 17th, 2010 at 02:25 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Oh My! I did alittle evil stroke today

by , June 17th, 2010 at 07:27 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Not very often I do any IM or Breaststroke due to my knee issues but today was an exception. I needed a change and today my knee did not hurt.

400 MI swim the free, kick the breast, pull the back and drill the fly
    400IM kick w/fins do breast last and remove fins
    200IM pull w/paddles & bouy
    200MI swim
    10x100@1:45 Free kick w/fins first 4 were 1:41's then managed to hold 1:35'2 for the rest
    400 Free w/snorkle, paddles & bouy good rotation and stroke
    6x50 from dive 15 meter breakouts then easy rest of lap
    100 Free easy

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Wednesday, June 16, 2010

by , June 16th, 2010 at 11:12 PM (Keepin Track 2010)
    Morning practice started late cause the pool had been vandalized overnight. Lifeguard chair and lane rope spools in diving well. 10 lawn chairs a few signs, barrels of pool toys. What jerks.

WU 600 mix
    8x50 (by 25: east hard, hard easy, all east, all hard)

3x (P200, S2x100, 4x50 IM Order) no rest between.
    WD
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Tuesday, June 15, 2010

by , June 16th, 2010 at 11:09 PM (Keepin Track 2010)
    Swam with the Masters group before Cowboy Night at our place.

800 WU mix
    6x50 25 drill, 25 swim (3Fr, 3 BR)
    K200 no flips

P300, P200, P100 on training interval
    S300, S200, S100 same

WD early for party
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. IM Day with the Senior Team! 6/16/10

by , June 16th, 2010 at 08:19 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    I swam with the senior age groups today. It's good fun to be pushed along by folks less than half your age...there is some smack talking with one or two of them and we swim very close times right now...so I give it back...I know ultimately they will leave me in the dust...
    Her is what was written:
    Warm Up
    500 Swim
    Main
    4 x through
    1 x 50 BR 1:15
    1 x 50 BK 1:10
    1 x 50 FL 1:00
    1 x 50 FR :50
    ---
    1 x 200 IM Drill 4:15 ish
    1 x 150 non FL IM 2:00 ish
    2 x 50 major 1:50ish
    1 x 150 non FL IM
    2 x 50 major 1:50ish
    1 x 200 IM Drill 4:15ish
    1 x 200 IM 4:15ish
    4 x through
    1 x 50 BR 1:15
    1 x 50 BK 1:10
    1 x 50 FL 1:00
    1 x 50 FR :50

Cool Down

200 EZ

I am not exactly sure of all the intervals as there were two groups and I was with the slower ones. That said I only ditched out on 200 of it where I needed to rest. Some of the fly had to be half a length and then free...crumbling down to a 5 stroke fly/free combo to make it through. I got out to coach but the kids carried on to do another 40 minutes. This took me about 70-80 minutes.

It was tough but fun. I like that I get forced to do different sets and it gives me confidence to try trickier sets on my own.

I'm exhausted though.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Alex's 1st Day Back

by , June 16th, 2010 at 07:24 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Swam with Sharks SCY
    Coach Alex

10 Min Warmup

8 x 75 K/Dr/Swim by 25 :10r

8 x 50 25 ez / 25 Hard
    25 Hard / 25 Ez
    50 Build
    50 Hard
    Repeat
    All on :50

100 Swim
    75 Swim
    50 Swim
    25 Swim
    50 EZ
    Descend each swim so last 25 is Hard
    Interval is LIFO (Last in, 1st out)
    Repeat 3x #1 Fly, #2 Back, # 3 Breast

4 x 25 #1 3 Breaths, #2 2, #3 1, #4 0
    Repeat 3x
    All on :30 except we took an extra 5 before the 0

200 Warm down

I swam back on the fly round.
    I could have swam round #2 harder but I was going 2nd, I was catching greg off the 1st wall when I dolphin kicked.
    Oh well next time I go 1st. Then I had to go 1st on breast, my worst stroke. But I gave it a
    solid effort and I actually gained more than 5 secs on the 100. Crazy!! I guess I'll just have to try harder more often.
    Swimming is such a MENTAL sport.
    Going 1st just makes you try harder.
    I think it's good to switch who goes 1st sometimes.
    Some days feel great.
    Some days I feel my age :-)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Kenpo, June 16

by , June 16th, 2010 at 06:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    P90X, Kenpo:

Decided I needed something different today, so I popped in the P90X Kenpo DVD, which I've never done before. It's definitely one of the easier P90X routines. Mostly a lot of punching, kicking and jumping. The X jumping jack plyo is a great exercise. It did seem like a good overall body workout, with good focus on balance and speed.

Here's a description and the list of exercises:

http://www.fitnessdestinations.com/p...day-6-kenpo-x/.

I was not inspired to try this martial arts type workout by Karate Kid. I almost fell asleep during that slow snoozer of a movie.

I wanted to do some P90X yoga, but got too busy doing kid things. In any event, my body appears intolerant of a training load increase right now. I've decided the legs are the most difficult to get back in shape. They seem to require the most conditioning and then, conversely, the most rest before meets. The upper body seems to snap back faster. (This is, of course, purely anecdotal and not supported by well controlled scientific data. Or, if the data does exists, which I'm sure it doesn't wrt swimming, I haven't bothered to look for it. )

Does anyone have any good tips for a father's day gift for a runner/cyclist?

I may do one of Patrick's workouts tomorrow (not the 400 free one!) and then swim with Speedo on Friday before subjecting myself to a crushingly busy weekend.

Day 6 of detox ...

I've attached a pic of a cute Maine Coone kitten we'll be getting soon (we're getting one of the white chested females pictured). I'm only mildly allergic to cats, and tolerate our Siamese well. I can't do dogs at all. My youngest has really been jonesing for a new kitty, so I caved. Hope I can still breath with it in the house.

Updated June 16th, 2010 at 08:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get-attachment.aspx.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	6412