View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. First LCM of the Year!

by , May 28th, 2010 at 02:43 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I swam solo this morning at Carmel High School! My workout was made for scy so I improvised. Here's the scoop!

**1,500 Swim Freestyle
    **10 X 50 Free on 1:00
    **2 X 500 Freestyle rest :30 (1st w/paddles and buoy/2nd plain)
    **8 X 50 freestyle on 1:00
    **4 X 250 Freestyle rest:20
    **6 X 50 Freestyle on 1;10
    **5 X 100 alt. back and free on 2:00

5,200 Long Course Meters!
    I had a lane to myself the whole time. I don't know where all the lunch swimmers were.
    Now I'm off to "Sex in the City II" with my oldest daughter!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Back to the pool

by , May 28th, 2010 at 12:58 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Friday, 5/28/10
    SCY, solo

Well the break is over. Am starting into a new training regimen with a new coach. Don't yet have a goal or focus meet to train for but will probably pick something in the fall to train for. Wanted to do LCM in Puerto Rico but just can't afford it right now.

Warm up
    400 Mixer (swim, drill, kick)
    4 x 100 @ 1:30 build (ave 1.22)
    4 x 25 @ :30 stroke strong ( did IM order)

Drill: Alternate 25 Drill with 25 Full Stroke
    Back
    12 x 25 @ :30
    Alternate:
    25 side arm drill
    25 one arm
    25 fists

Free
    12 x 25 @ :30
    Alternate
    25 forearm scull
    25 catch up
    25 fists

SP 1 -2 Swim: Back
    4 x 50 @ 1:00 dps (distance per stroke) moderate
    (15-16 spl ave :45)
    1 x 50 smooth free @ 1:00
    5 x 50 @ 1:10 dps moderate strong
    (15-16 spl ave :42)
    6 x 50 @ 1:20 dps Strong
    (15-16 spl ave :40)
    7 x 50 @ 1:30 dps Fast
    (15-16 spl ave :38)

1 x 200 easy for cool down

Total: 2750 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/29/10

by , May 28th, 2010 at 12:15 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:

1 X 200 3:20
    2 X 100 1:40
    4 X 75 1:10
    4 X 50 :50
    8 X 25 :30

2 X 100 kick 2:15
    6 X 50 kick 1:00

1 X 100 moderate 2:00
    2 X 50 fast 1:15
    1 X 100 moderate 2:00
    4 X 25 sprint :45
    Four times through, break between rounds.
    All choice

8 X 50 1:15
    25 underwater/25 fast

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

3800Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. From the Swimming Pool to the Jury Pool

This morning I slept through the early-morning AGUA workout. I ended up going over the Y to swim on my own around 7:15. The pool wasn’t crowded, and I ended up doing a short swim followed by a long stretching session afterwards, which seemed to be the proportions my body was craving. My swim was just 1600 yards of easy swimming, drills, and play.

Afterwards, I went downtown to serve my second (hopefully last) day of jury duty. Part of living in New York City is getting called down to the courthouses every 4 years like clockwork to be part of the jury pool. There are almost no automatic exemptions anymore; every so often the NYTimes runs a story about some politician’s jury duty experience—Giuliani is that last such story I remember seeing. Everyone who lives in the city has their own jury duty war stories, celebrity sightings, and theories about how to avoid actually getting picked for a jury . I’ve lived here since 1994, and this is the 4th time I’ve been called. (I was never on a jury, but was once a jury alternate.) You’re exempted for 4 years after you serve, and you can postpone service up to 6 months each time you’re called.

Why do New Yorkers get called so often? The head clerk in our jury holding pen helpfully explained it like this: “You could like in upstate New York, in Seneca or Cayuga County, say, and you’d get called every 15 years, if that. But you wouldn’t want to live there, because nothing happens up there! You live in New York City, where the action is. This is where things happen, and when things happen, we need jurors. So here you are!” (New Yorkers—you gotta love their attitude. Or not).

Jury duty feels like being in high school again. Attendance is taken at the beginning of the day, and the first day always features a movie that seems like a civics-class reel-to-reeler, only with incredibly high production values. It seems like it should be narrated by Troy McClure, but instead features Diane Sawyer and Ed Asner giving a brief overview of the history of criminal trials (Greeks good, Romans bad, medieval people very bad, then the triumphal March of Progress culminating in our current system. These are all illustrated by actors in costume—I arrived this year during the throw-the-witch-in-the-pond scene). Then follows a survey of jury scenes in movies and tv, as Diane assures us potential juries that while any trial we serve on might well be exciting and dramatic, the rules might be different than what we’ve seen onscreen. Then exhortations about civic duty, etc. etc., and the film is over.

Conditions for jury duty are actually pretty civilized---there are comfy padded chairs, some study carrels and tables, free WiFi, a 15-minute sign-out sheet for anyone wanting to take a break, long lunch hours and early dismissals. You can usually count on serving just 2 days in the pool if you’re not picked for a jury. Things used to be much worse, but there was a jurors’ rights reform movement in NY state that had good effects, as well as raising juror pay. State courts are probably the best to serve in; the one time I was in a juror pool in federal court, we weren’t allowed to have cell phones or any sort or electronics with us in the jury rooms, and hours and breaks were much less predictable.

Yesterday my day went like this: show up at 8:45, break for lunch at 11:45, reconvene at 2:15; sent home at 2:45. There was no jury selection going on at any of the courts my jury pool was assigned to yesterday (the one biggish trial that was supposed to select a jury yesterday opted to have the judge hear the case instead). I’m hoping today’s experience will be similar, and that we’ll be kicked loose early—surely the judges and lawyers would like an early start to their holiday weekend?

This weekend I’m planning on swimming at Brighton Beach—the water temp is now 60—as well as doing a few rowing workouts.

Happy holiday weekend everyone! And good luck to everyone doing the 1-mile swim in NC!

Update: We were all kicked loose around 1, and don't have to come back for at least another 6 years (extended from 4 now it seems). Woohoo!

Updated May 28th, 2010 at 02:21 PM by swimsuit addict (update)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. FAST Fri May 27th, 2010

by , May 28th, 2010 at 10:28 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST Fri May 27th, 2010

Next Meet is tomorrow the
    "Last Hurrah for Full Body Rubber Techsuit SCY USMS Time Trial" on
    Saturday, May 29th, 2010 in
    Austin, TX at the
    UT Swim Center from
    8:00 am to 9:00 am
    (not sure about the order of events, first event is likely to be the 4 x 50 fr relay & the last event is likely to be the 4 x 100 fr relay)
    I'm thinking about swimming a 50 bk & 50 fr)

LCM & SCY
    Austin, UT Swim Center
    Whitney Coached
    swam with Todd, Tyler, Chris, Brad, Tenille, Erin, Nate, Doug, Ned & Marcio
    dove in on time

WARM UP LCM
    15 min Choice warm up

4 x 50 FAST on 2:00
    held 29's went 28 on last one

6 rounds of
    (100 fast from a push then 100 easy ) on 5:00
    held 66 & 7's, went 1:04 on last one

Moved to diving well
    did 100 k & 50 easy

2010 MEETS:

July 8 - 11, 2010
    Senior Circuit #4
    Austin, TX

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    2010 South Central Long Course
    Southlake, Texas
    Days till LCM ZONES

does anyone ever read my blog to the very end?

Updated May 28th, 2010 at 11:26 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Cardio! 5/27/10

by , May 28th, 2010 at 09:37 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well I got back on the treadmill to run today. I was sensible and did a 2miler in just under 19 minutes. I have made my non swim workouts short and fluffy this week. More of a reintroduction to the motions and what not than of exertions. I hope this will leave me a little less sore as I build up over the next week.

I also have made an Appt. to go see an ART chiropractor..and give it a shot to see if the persistent tightness in my back is related to long term issues I have previously. I can't think that I am able to do what I do with swimming, running and lifting if I am on the verge of a spasm...so I think it's possible I have scar tissue holding me tight in the core. I'll let you know.

Updated May 28th, 2010 at 08:41 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Yeah You Shook Me

by , May 28th, 2010 at 09:35 AM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    Some days I'm lazy with the mixes, and grateful that I have iTunes to make the mix for me. With the newish "Genius" feature, I can pick one song, and it picks 25 others songs to go with it. "You Shook Me All Night Long" was today's lynchpin, and this is what it came up with to match:

You Shook Me All Night Long, AC/DC, Back in Black
    Life In The Fast Lane, Eagles, Hotel California
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Queen, Greatest Hits
    Live And Let Die, Guns N' Roses, Use Your Illusion I (Dancing Banana = best workout song today.)
    Cryin', Aerosmith, Get A Grip
    Good Times Bad Times, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin I
    Pinball Wizard, The Who, 20th Century Masters: The Best Of The Who (The Millennium Collection)
    Gimme Three Steps, Lynyrd Skynyrd, One More From the Road [Deluxe Edition]
    Jeremy, Pearl Jam, Ten
    Learning To Fly, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Greatest Hits
    Behind Blue Eyes, The Who , Who's Next
    Time, Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon
    Heartbreaker, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II
    Givin the Dog a Bone, AC/DC, Back in Black
    Take The Money And Run, Steve Miller Band
    All Apologies, Nirvana, MTV Unplugged in New York
    Ramblin' Man, The Allman Brothers Band, Big Fish
    Livin' On The Edge, Aerosmith, Get A Grip
    Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin I
    St. Jimmy, Green Day, American Idiot
    My Generation, The Who, 20th Century Masters: The Best Of The Who (The Millennium Collection)
    Hey Joe, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Are You Experienced?
    Don't Do Me Like That, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Greatest Hits
    Who's Crying Now, Journey, Escape
    I Want To Break Free, Queen, Greatest Hits

I'd rate these songs a 6 out of 10 for good workout music. "Behind Blue Eyes" was playing while I was doing backstroke kick, and as much as I love the rich, deepness of that song, it's better for being introspective than for pumping out a good workout. Speaking of, this is what we did today:

3x200 s, k, p
    4x75 kick 2 free, 2 stroke
    3x225
    4x75 kick IM order
    3x225 stroke
    4x75 kick stroke
    *** this is as far as I got, 3000 yards with a warm down.
    3x225 choice
    3x225 pull
    5x125 2 free fast / 1 kick fast / 2 stroke fast
    warm down

Workout provided by Coach Ron to get us ready for LCM in our SCY pool. I probably could have done more, but we got a little chatty in the lane between sets. But I swear, we were talking about swimming. Meanwhile, the fast lane had some crazy 5300 yard workout, putting us to shame.

Updated May 28th, 2010 at 10:25 AM by swimmerb212

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Yes I am nutty again

by , May 28th, 2010 at 09:08 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Another Friday and you know it is time for ... 500 Fly again. Felt strong thru this one.

400, 300, 200, 100@:10R Free
    500 Free w/fins every 3rd 25 Fast
    500 Fly w/fins went 8:30
    500 Back w/fins as 50 fashion model/25 rt arm/25 lt arm per 100
    4x200@3:30 Free w/paddles & bouy descend
    3:26, 3:21, 3:18, 3:11
    200 Free easy

total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Thursday, May 27

by , May 27th, 2010 at 10:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    P90X Yoga, 60 minutes:

Stuck with my yoga only mode today. Still feeling tired since getting back on Monday. I thought about a run, but it was 90 degrees here. I think I need a slightly cooler temperature to begin this project.

Jump roping:

I read with interest Androvski's post about the benefits of jump roping. I did try, at Q's urging, to do some jump roping last season with the occasional tabata jump rope session incorporated into my drylands. But I think I could do even more.

Here was Androvski's link, which I need to spend some time reading:

http://www.projectswole.com/conditio...and-endurance/

I still have yet to watch my TRX DVD. I just need my mental week off.

Suits:

Got my Q Swimwear suit today. It is decidedly different than the B70 or Speedo LZR Elite. From what I have heard, it's more similar to the fabric used in the new Jaked "Shark" suit. The Shark is the Italian national team suit, but it doesn't appear yet on the Jaked website. May give it a whirl in the pool tomorrow. If I can get myself there. Still not much urge to swim at the moment and sticking to my full week off from the pool.

Funny Teenager Quote:

This one really had me chuckling. Mini Fort asked me for a shoulder massage at 10:00 pm last night after a short lifting session. When I declined due to exhaustion, she said "You're not my real mother." lol

I sent my son off to Nationals at 5:30 am this morning. Hope he has a good experience there. Wish it wasn't so far away.

I am girding myself for the next month -- the absolute most brutal month of the year in terms of kids events.
    Categories
    Yoga
  10. Loving the break

by , May 27th, 2010 at 08:31 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Haven't swam since my 50 free in Atlanta on Sunday. Maybe I'll go to the pool tomorrow morning and get wet. or maybe I'll
    Was going to go tonight but instead.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Love

by , May 27th, 2010 at 05:22 PM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    Today started off with a guy outside the pool door complaining about not liking the music selections. I told him that the problem is that I use Tuesday/Thursday lap swim days to try out new mixes to see how they'll work for team practices on M/W/F. And not to worry because today is Beatles day, and who doesn't love the Beatles? I'll tell you who. That guy. He likes "alternative." I'll have to scour demo tapes from local garage bands to make him happy.

Thoday was simple. I played the "Love" soundtrack straight through. It was not very peppy, but good for my mood today. I'm trying to sort out a bunch of different stuff in my life, so I just swam a slow 2000 yards to try to clear my head. This was good music for that. Probably won't bring it to the team swims. The playlist goes:

All You Need Is Love
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
    Hey Jude
    A Day In The Life
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Back In The U.S.S.R.
    Revolution
    Come Together/Dear Prudence/Cry Baby Cry [Transition]
    Here Comes The Sun/The Inner Light [Transition]
    Lady Madonna
    Octopus's Garden/Sun King [Transition]
    Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
    Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Blackbird/Yesterday
    Help!
    Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!/I Want You (She's So Heavy)/Helter Skelter
    Something/Blue Jay Way [Transition]
    Gnik Nus
    Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing
    I Want To Hold Your Hand
    I Am The Walrus
    Eleanor Rigby/Julia [Transition]
    Glass Onion
    Get Back
    Because

...and since that's only 60 minutes of music, I tacked on:
    Like A Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan
    Under My Thumb, Rolling Stones
    Play With Fire, The Rolling Stones
    19th Nervous Breakdown, The Rolling Stones
    Sympathy for the Devil, The Rolling Stones
    I Can't Get No Satisfaction, Rolling Stones
    Ruby Tuesday, Rolling Stones
    Paint It Black, Rolling Stones
    Start Me Up, Rolling Stones
    You Can't Always Get What You, Rolling Stones
    Tags: music
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/28/10

by , May 27th, 2010 at 12:41 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:

3 X 100 1:40 1:30
    4 X 75 1:20 1:10
    4 X 50 1:00 :50
    Twice through, round 1 intervals left, round 2 right.

3 X 100 kick 2:15
    4 X 75 kick 1:45
    4 X 50 kick 1:15

2 X 100 1:40 2:00
    2 X 50 fast 1:00 1:10
    Four times through.
    Rounds 1 & 2 free, intervals left.
    Rounds 3 & 4 stroke, intervals right.

LCM

10 X 100 2:15
    odd: easy
    even: fast
    Choice

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4800Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Thu May 27th, 2010

by , May 27th, 2010 at 11:03 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu May 27th, 2010

Longhorn Aquatics is definitely hosting the
    "Last Hurrah for Full Body Rubber Techsuits SCY USMS Time Trial" on
    Saturday, May 29th, 2010 in
    Austin, TX at the
    UT Swim Center from
    8:00 am to 9:00 am
    (not sure about the order of events, first event is likely to be the 4 x 50 fr relay & the last event is likely to be the 4 x 100 fr relay)
    I'm thinking about swimming a 50 bk & 50 fr)

LCM
    Austin, UT Swim Center
    Whitney Coached
    swam with Todd, Tyler, Brandon, Amy, Richie, Tenille, Mike, Nate, Doug, Chris, & Marcio
    dove in on time

board said
    50 x 100
    in groups of 10

1) 10 on 1:30 made it

2) 10 on 1:25 made it

3) 10 on 1:20 made it

4) 10 on 1:15 ( did 5 on 2:30)

5) 5 rounds of 100 on 1:10, followed by 100 on 1:30 (I skipped the 100's on 1:30)

2010 MEETS:

July 8 - 11, 2010
    Senior Circuit #4
    Austin, TX

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    2010 South Central Long Course
    Southlake, Texas
    Days till LCM ZONES
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. The light at the end of the tunnel!

by , May 27th, 2010 at 10:39 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I ended up taking Tues. and Weds. off; in fact the only exercise I got was running around outside all day in the 88 degrees/high humidity weather.
    Field day always pitches me a whammy. There's something about running an event for 760 kids outside all day coupled with arriving at school at 4:45 a.m. to set it up that just saps me. I still felt loopy on Wednesday and had to have all classes outside again so turn me to toast!

This morning I swam solo at the Monon Center:

**250 Free Swim
    **250 flutter kick
    **250 Free Pull (buoy/paddles)
    **4 X 75 Pull (buoy/paddles)

**2 X (4 X 150 on 2:45
    4 X 50 on :55
    4 X 25 on :30
    200 ez

**4 X 75 Hard and smooth on 1:20
    3,550 scy

I think I will go swim with the Nasti's tonight Long Course outside.

I've got tomorrow and Monday off then summer school starts at the high school.
    My youngest daughter's graduation from
    Carmel High School is Monday!
    She really graduated in December and started college in Florida but she's coming back for the ceremony!
    BTW!!!!! She made the Presidents List For Distinguished Academics her first semester of college! I'm very proud!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. I Love the 80's

by , May 27th, 2010 at 09:36 AM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    Today was 80's day. And upbeat 80's at that. I created the playlist order somewhat chronologically, starting with some classic rock and ending with what is really a 90's song. It didn't matter, because we were 20 minutes into practice before Coach stopped talking to a swimmer and turned on the sound system, so we didn't get all the way through this mix.

Workout wise, this was a good one. We swam some sets of 150 FAST KICK, and it coincided with "Maniac" and "Jump." I started doing a little Monica Seles-esque grunting to get through it, which possibly alarmed one of my lane-mates. I'll include the workout below, after the playlist.

Another lane-mate announced she had to leave early, so I told her to "Beat It" to the rhythm. She looked at me oddly.

Any Way You Want It, Journey, Departure, 1980
    Beat It, Michael Jackson, Michael Jackson Greatest Hits HIStory Volume I, 1982
    Down Under, Men At Work, Billboard Top Hits - 1983, 1982
    Karma Chameleon, Culture Club, Billboard Top Hits: 1984, 1983
    Thriller, Michael Jackson, Michael Jackson Greatest Hits HIStory Volume I, 1982
    Maniac, Michael Sembello, Billboard Top Hits - 1983, 1983
    Stray Cat Strut, Stray Cats, Billboard Top Hits - 1983, 1983
    Jeopardy, Greg Kihn Band, Billboard Top Hits - 1983, 1983
    Talking In Your Sleep, The Romantics, Billboard Top Hits: 1984, 1983
    Electric Avenue, Eddy Grant, Billboard Top Hits - 1983, 1983
    What A Feeling (Flashdance), Irene Cara, The All Time Greatest Movie Songs CD2
    Owner of a lonely heart, Yes, 1983
    Born In The U.S.A, Bruce Springsteen, Greatest Hits, 1984
    Jump (For My Love), The Pointer Sisters, Billboard Top Hits: 1984, 1984
    Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Cyndi Lauper
    Hells Bells, AC/DC, Back in Black, 1980
    Caribbean Queen, Yes, Billboard Top Hits: 1984, 1984
    Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, Wham!, Billboard Top Hits: 1984, 1984
    Dancing In The Dark, Bruce Springsten, 1984
    Borderline, Madonna, The Immaculate Collection
    The Power Of Love, Huey Lewis And The News
    Pour Some Sugar On Me, Def Leopard
    You Give Love A Bad Name, Bon Jovi, Slippery When Wet, 1995
    Livin' On A Prayer, Bon Jovi, Slippery When Wet, 1995
    Ghostbusters (Ghostbusters), Ray Parker Jr., The All Time Greatest Movie Songs CD2
    Take on Me, a-ha, Hunting High and Low, 1985
    Everybody Wants To Rule the World, Tears For Fears, The No.1 Eighties Album Disc
    Sweet Child Of Mine, Guns n' Roses
    (Everything I Do) I Do It For You, Bryan Adams, Waking Up The Neighbours, 1991

Workout designed for a SCY pool to practice for a LCM meet (Middlebury, coming up in a month!) Written by Coach Ron.

3x200 S, K, P
    12x25 kick, drill, swim
    4x225 (2 free, 2 stroke)
    150 KICK HARD
    6x125 (3 free, 3 stroke)
    150 KICK HARD
    2x225 stroke
    150 KICK HARD
    400 swim

**** (that's as far as I got in 90 minutes, 3850 yards. The rest...)

150 KICK HARD
    200 choice swim
    150 KICK HARD
    200 warm down

Updated May 27th, 2010 at 09:48 AM by swimmerb212

Tags: music
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Working thru it

by , May 27th, 2010 at 07:29 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Shoulders are still fairly sore but seem to be getting better and stronger. Really pushed myself toward the end of this workout.

5x200@3:45 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins build each 50
    5x100@2:00 alt Fly/Back kick w/fins
    10x100@2:00 Free w/paddles & bouy desc 1-5, 6-10 went 1:46, 1:44, 1:36, 1:31, 1:27, 1:40, 1:36, 1:13, 1:26, 1:22 seemed to get fast but felt like the same effort level
    200 Free EASY choice of drills

Total 3200 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Wed, May 26, 2010-Nationals Part 1

by , May 26th, 2010 at 10:54 PM (Keepin Track 2010)
    Well....this is a needed post. A follow up on all the action at USMS 2010 in ATLANTA.

Best to document things now before I forget them all and they disappear forever.

On any other year, I might poo poo articulating all this here, but frankly...after such a fabulous meet...I better write it down!

We arrived on Thursday and I was certain to get in the water at about 1:00pm. The distance events were still going on but the pool was expected to close 30 minutes after they finished. So I hopped in the well.

Big meets have crowded warm up facilities so the swimming took its usual crowded toll. Each time I warmed up for a session, I did my traditional 600 (200 FR/BA mix, 100 FR/BA kick, 100 easy BR kick or drill, 4x50 or 8x25 BR drills) and then whatever else was necessary to prep for the meet. I did add a few build up 50's both in BR and FR. I was careful to not OVERSPRINT as Laren recommends.

I have to say that I felt so good in warm up, I didn't know what to so with myself. I worried though, because while I felt rested and total flexible and strong, I did not have any peppy like spunk. I was mustering up sprintiness and worried I would not get adrenaline up for the meet.

Turns out, this would be a concern all weekend. I turned the tables on it though and started to view my relaxed nature as an asset. After my first events, I was convinced that relaxed was OKAY and that the speed was in there despite not feeling nervous or adrenal-ated (for lack of a better word).

I mentioned to a few teammates that I felt so good in the water, but that I didn't want to speak too soon. Perhaps feeling good and swimming bad is the worst case scenario ever, isn't it?

So THURSDAY:
    Warm up 1000+. Got into competition pool as walls were wild, bulkhead marked strangely, and turns for everyone a flop!. Good practice makes perfect.

FRIDAY:
    Same warm up 1.5 hours before event. Later short loosen up. Short loosen included lots of building tempo 25's. Only tiny bursts of fast or build though.

50 BR: 30.38 (2nd place) Masters Best time
    worked on landing forehead down/neutral, hips under solid catch, and progressive surges forward. Did NOT shoot hands and overspin. 3 solid strokes off start and one good one off turn. wide kick stretched out muscles a must! 200 WD
    50 FR on MIxed FR Relay 23.71 lifetime best!
    Water was wavier than I have ever experienced. Thought this meant good things for maybe breaking 24 in the individual 50, but alas-NO. Short choppy stroke needed to keep my ground in this race. Amazed that I could go under 24 here. Was a mess of wake everywhere.
    200WD

SATURDAY:
    Same warm up as before + 2 sprints 1 FR 1 BR.
    Felt tighter today. Muscles sore and needed to get up in the am before Brkfast to stretch for a bit. LONG DAY TODAY. Up 7am, meet finished 7pm.

50 BR on Mixed 200 Medley Relay 29.91 off Laren's great finish. WOOT! Ah-to be under 30 again! Felt like HOME!

100 BR: 1:08.43 (3rd place). Did take it out faster 31.5, but could tell that I needed to go out even a half second or more 30.6-30.9? than even that! I had the energy in me. Coulda done a 1:07?
    200WD

50 FLY 27.97 8th place. I wasn't gonna swim this one. It was right after the 50 BR and seemed too close to my coveted 100 FR. I decided to swim it and it turned out to be a good thing. I felt that it released some stress in my nervous system, almost priming the pumps again if you will. Just swam smart and relaxed. Breathing 3's about. Masters Best time. That's what I kept telling people my goal was SWIMMING A SMART RACE. I really had no times in mind this year. Perhaps a good mental state.

100 FR 53.96 (LIFETIME BEST!) 5th place. I swam this race next to Heather. It was comforting to be together again in a heat. She didn't give me much room this year though. My lifetime best is way slower than hers (wink smile). I swam it smart, albeit a little faster out than I wanted. There was a psychotic lady screaming in my head that last 25 though. She kept yelling: "THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO GO A LIFETIME BEST WITH THIS SUIT...You better get going. Do not give up now!" She was right! And she scared me enough to do it. Dan had tears in his eye cause he has always said I would get a lifetime best in this race. He's right too!
    200 WD
    early to bed.

50 FR on Women's FR Relay: 24.20

SUNDAY
    Same warm up + 3 sprints 1 BR, 1 FR, 1 FL and quit at 1/2.

50 BR on Women's Medley: 30.02

100 IM 1:01.89 and 3rd place from an outside lane! I think this race surprised everyone. Not me though. I had been working on my backstroke a lot (whatever that means for a BR-stroker) and also my transition turns. And I think I had learned in Ft. Lauderdale that it was a 100 sprint same as a 100 FR. 25 fly BIG UNDERWATER, loose and quick turn with GOOD PUSH off ...25 back
    big dolphin kick, wide catch, high hips and turn it over!...25 BR at last..catch em all! I knew I had the fastest BR in the heat...25 FR like the return of a 50 FR up tempo everything and keep it looking like a Laren 25.

50 FR (24.30) 4th place. What can I say... long weekend and add a tenth everyday...pretty standard. I shoulda known. I am not disappointed with the swim...just still craving. What sprinter doesn't want to see the next lowest number?

More tomorrow on why's and how's and what now's.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Back to work 5/26

by , May 26th, 2010 at 09:34 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well, the party is over, the swimmers have swum, and we've all headed back to our homes.

I also closed a chapter in my life. I packed up my training goggles into an old box and opened up my new onesw. Same model and colour but the oldies had held together well, and I feel should be retired now that I have made it through nats and what not.

Still feeling tired from the meet but decided I couldn't blow everything off as then I'd be facing a huge task to get back up for a meet on june 5th which is LCM to boot....stupidly I think I'm signed up for the 200 BR--Idiot!

Anyhow I got to the pool and decided to work towards my goals of Improving my backstroke and getting under :30 for the 50 BR, which I am sure will take me some time.

Here's what I did.
    Warm Up
    (twice through)
    200Kick
    200Pull (paddles
    200Swim

Back Set

4 x 50 Kick on Back 1:30. held 1:05's and worked on breaking out hard and aggressive from my SDK.
    8 x 25 Back 1:00. Held about :20 just trying to bust these out...tough to see with stupid pace clock.
    4 x 50 EZ1:00
    Breast Set
    4 x 25 BR/25 EZ FR trying to get SPL and time on the BR to measure slight adjustments on my stroke but it was no good with the dumb pace clocks out of sync...this is where no coaching REALLY sucks.
    2 x 200 BR on 5:00 did them about 3:15...um...yeah I really still whacked out from Atlanta
    4 x 50 EZ 1:00

8x 25 Fly on 1:00 some good some bad...felt like I was getting more chest press but when I try to sprint it goes back to arm-driven

4 x 50 EZ to Cool

Hit the weight room for a quick 1 set circuit to get the muscles a little prepped for the return to training. I know it'll still hurt when I do. Of course I followed it with a muscle milk.

Updated May 26th, 2010 at 10:46 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Wednessday AM With the Sharks

by , May 26th, 2010 at 07:03 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Swam with Sharks
    Renee Coached (Gonna miss her!!)

200 Swim
    6x100 25 swim 50 kick 25 swim 10r

Set 1

2 times the following
    150 free 50 back
    100 free 100 back
    50 free 150 back
    200 back
    about 15 rest on all
    1 min between sets....
    I had to go 1st on set 1 in the crazy lane.
    Ouch, But I did it, and either Jim C was being lazy or I did really good. Lets hope for I did good.

Set 2

4 x 25 stoke count
    3x150 build by 50 hold stroke count
    3x 100 desc hold stroke count

200 warm down

Backstroke felt good today.
    Stroke count's I held 11-12 on the 25's
    12-14 on the 150
    12-14 on the 100's

Updated May 27th, 2010 at 04:10 PM by Bo Martin

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. 50 Back Vid + Yoga May 26

by , May 26th, 2010 at 06:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hot Yoga, 90 minutes:

Made it to the bikram studio for my first yoga class in 5 weeks. Didn't have any trouble with the positions particularly, but the class seemed interminably long. I did notice that they replaced the carpet with beautiful wood floors. Apparently, this renders the studio not true to the spirit of Bikram, but I like the change. It lowers the dirty hippie quotient of the whole enterprise.

50 Back Video:

Water Rat kindly took a video of my 50 back at Nats. It didn't look as bad as it felt. You can tell I was nervous about not having my nose clip b/c I fidgeted and moved my hand position on the start. I thought I had gone past the 15 meter mark, so swam the rest of the race thinking I was DQ'd. This was incorrect as the video shows, but my initial SDKs were panicked and sloppy and exceeded the # I intended to take (they were much better, I think, in my 100 back). It also looks like I slowed down to judge the finish somewhat as well. I was right between Val Jenkins and Sue Walsh. I still wish I had that race back again ... In some ways, I feel like this race shows, to channel Lost, the folly of "master plans." An undue focus on one event can indeed be frustrating.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zra16-aggtk"]YouTube- USMS Nationals - Fort's 50 Backstroke[/nomedia]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I'm still wiped out from the meet & travels. I think it's mostly sleep deprivation as, per usual, I didn't sleep well during the meet and I basically pulled an all nighter on Sunday with the late night & early Monday flight combo. I had a great time Sunday night though, dining at Rosa Mexicano (great food!) and then imbibing with PV buddies and others. Even met and chatted with Geek's & Stud's nemesis, CF.

I'm hoping I can summon the energy to go on a wee jog soon ...

My only other gripe about the Nats experience is that is totally trashed my hair. My hair, which is longer than usual right now, got completely tangled up/matted with all the double capping, etc. I literally couldn't detangle some of it when showering, so yanked some out. And being in and out of the water constantly for days, not putting conditioner in my hair, etc, trashed the color and caused some chlorine damage. LW advised me to braid my hair. I did this on the 3rd day and the damage wasn't as bad. But still!

I'm feeling a little bit of the post Atlanta blues. There's so much preparation and anticipation and then it's just OVER. Trying to deflect this with some vacation planning. I'm leaving on June 24, and there will be no swimming for 2 weeks. The fitness center on the ship is huge and beautiful and there are yoga/pilates classes. I think I mentioned previously that my chiro advised taking a complete 2 week break from any strenuous exercise to let the body heal. At the moment, I feel like taking that now rather than on the cruise ...

I'm still planning on doing a detox. But I need to catch up on sleep before depriving myself of caffeine. I'm also being sent a free 3 week supply of Exfuse 7 + Proformance to try out. http://www.extractfuzion.com/shop/vi...=1&productid=4. I'm told you can add it to smoothies or take it solo. Among other things, it claims to promotes deep sleep. I'm not the supplement critic that Jimby is, but I'm skeptical about the ability of any herbal type remedy to keep me asleep.

And on tech suit news, Roque Santos is sending me one of his new Q Swimwear kneeskins. I'm looking forward to trying it out. On examination at Nats, the fabric seemed very different and more sturdy than the B70 or Speedo "paper" suits. http://www.qswimwear.com/catalogo/index.html

Updated May 26th, 2010 at 10:32 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga