View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/20/10

by , May 18th, 2010 at 12:47 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

2 X 200 3:30
    1 X 400 6:45
    Twice through

1 X 200 kick 5:00
    2 X 100 kick 2:30
    2 X 50 kick 1:15

1 X 100 stroke 2:15
    1 X 50 stroke/ fast 1:45
    Four times through.
    100 and 50 should be the same stroke.

2 X 400 free 6:40
    3 X 300 free 4:40

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4700M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/19/10

by , May 18th, 2010 at 12:44 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    I'll be leaving for Atlanta Nationals early tomorrow morning. I will go ahead and post workouts through May 25th.

SCY

WARM UP:
    1 X 400 6:10
    1 X 300 4:30
    1 X 200 3:00
    1 X 100 -

3 X 100 1:30
    1 X 150 negative split 2:30
    Four times through

2 X 100 1:30
    1 X 50 fast 1:30
    Four times through

LCM

2 X 100 kick 2:30
    2 X 100 stroke 2:15
    Twice through

4800 Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Was this a workout or play time

by , May 18th, 2010 at 08:56 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Had to work from 3am-5:30am so did not get to the pool until almost 6:20am. Jut did 10x100 from a dive the first 4 easy then the rest strong breakout to 15 meters. Worked with Coach Walt on getting my starts corrected.

Total 1000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Monday, May 17, 2010

by , May 17th, 2010 at 10:24 PM (Keepin Track 2010)
    I don't want to talk about how I felt today. Hope that's a sign of something good to come.

600 Mix WU (400 ba/Fr 100 BA FR kick 100 BR)

4x50 BR (alt 25 drill, 25 swim)
    4x50 FR (alt 25 drill, 25 swim)

6x25 BR with flips down dolphin back flutter kick
    4x25 FR with flips ride high and increase tempo

8x25 BR easy swim perfects

100 WD

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Monday, May 17

by , May 17th, 2010 at 09:24 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Had a light massage and followed it up with a 700 yard swim. Would have liked to do a little bit more, but got to the pool late.

Here is what I did:

400 Reverse I.M. - one arm on fly

4 x 50 kick with 10 seconds rest - no board - did dolphin on back, back flutter, flutter kick on side, back flutter

2 x 50 - rt arm/lt arm fly

Plan to get just a little bit more in tomorrow as I had wanted to do around 1200 today. Took both days off over the weekend to maximize rest.

Now it is all about eating right, drinking lots of water, getting good sleep, and getting to the pool to keep the feel.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Heading out tomorrow

I got in a little swim at noon today at Asphalt Green. I did about 1600 yards, with a tad of sprint FR and lots of drills. Then I did a few backstroke starts—Coach Craig pulled some major strings with the facility and got an actual touchpad in for us, so I really enjoyed starting on the sticky wall, and was happy to check off the last thing on my prep list before nats.

Tomorrow I leave for Atlanta. I’m flying in around noon, then driving down to southeast Alabama for a few days to visit my mom and aunt. I’ll drive back up on Thursday, hopefully in time to get in a quick swim in the competition pool. I’ll swim tomorrow morning before I go out to the airport--I'm planning on just doing my meet warmup, then a nice stretch. Wednesday will be an off day, since there is no place to swim in my hometown.

Good luck to everyone heading to nationals—travel safe, swim fast, and stop by and introduce yourself to me if I haven’t found you first! (I’ll be with the AGUA team—just ask for Janet. We got some team togs today, so the team should be recognizable.)
    Tags: taper
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Monday, May 17

by , May 17th, 2010 at 07:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

500 swim
    300 fly drills

2 x (3 x 25 easy speed + 25 EZ)
    2 shooter, 2 breast, 2 fly

50 EZ

2 x (25 fast + 50 EZ)
    1 flutter kick, 1 free

100 EZ

Total: 1400

Hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Felt pretty good today. Had good DPS. Felt tired when I tried to go fast, but that seems to be how it is when I taper. Fly has felt good the last couple days, always a good sign.

I need to start packing soon. I am an absolutely awful packer, always forgetting something and overpacking. I know Ande has a list of what to bring to a meet somewhere on his tips ... I won't be forgetting extra contacts. And I'll take my speed suits on the plane. Still need to try on my tech suit ...

I did order 2 pairs of Skins recovery/travel tights for Mr. Fort and me. If you're interested, they run quite large and they seem to be in short supply everywhere. I'm an extra small. Hopefully, I'll get mine in time to hop my plane.

My flight arrives at 12:55. I'm really hoping there's no delay so that Barb and I can cab over to the pool in time for the 30 minute warm up. Anyone know how long registration is open on Thursday? I'd like to get our relays registered. Anyone that is staying at Ga Tech Conf Center know how far the trolley is from the hotel?

Getting very psyched, have great dinner plans. But where is the real party on Sunday?

Updated May 17th, 2010 at 08:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/18/10

by , May 17th, 2010 at 02:44 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

Warm Up;

2 X 200 3:30
    2 X 250 4:30

2 X 400 free 6:30
    4 X 100 stroke 2:15
    2 X 400 free 6:30
    4 X 100 kick 2:30

6 X 100 IM 2:00

12 X 50 1:10
    #3-6-9-12 are fast

4700M

NATIONALS SWIMMERS: SCY

WARM UP:
    3 X 250 4:00

1 X 300 fins optional

9 X 50 1:20
    Choice, #3-6-9 are fast. All others perfect stroke.

4 X {dive-turn-finish

1 X 50 easy
    1 X 50 blocks
    1 X 50 easy

Distance swimmers only:
    12 X 50 1:00
    odd: perfect stroke
    even: race pace

WARM DOWN
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Dipping my feet into the blogosphere again

I hate blogging. Honestly - its annoying to feel the need to blog and journal to keep track of the things I do on a day to day basis. However I'm planning on trying to encourage my fitness levels by keeping this thing pretty low key and basically just doing it for myself. I need to grow on my own and remind myself how hard I've worked to get where I am now.

So I'm going to at least talk about where I was, where I'm at, and where I want to go with this whole "fitness" thing.

Short History:
    5 short months ago, I was 270 pounds, freshly dumped and working my *** off at my job. My eating habits were less than stellar, I spent a lot of my free time drunk as hell trying to forget how I was feeling and doing my best to lie to myself and just tell myself I'm completely fine. It was taking a lot of convincing and I have a scar on my hand from my birthday that really proves it. (Lets just say it was an alcohol related accident).
    One weekend I tried snowboarding with my friend Tessa and Raul and fell completely in love with it. I realized as I continued trying to to snowboard that I was completely out of shape for a sport that was so dependant on the legs. So I got my rear in the gym and began to lift and workout again. I wanted to really learn how to do this snowboard thing well!
    About a week later I flew out to Baltimore to see my friend Melissa and to go snowboarding with her and her friends. I had gained a little muscle and a little strength in my legs and was able to successfully snowboard at least 2 times down the hill. Regardless - I was still far too out of shape to really take snowboarding and go gung-ho the way I really wanted to. I kept working out and learning and even bought my own snowboard.
    Flashforward another week: At church talking with one of the other choir members about his daughter swimming reminded me of a lot of time I spent in the pool at Carthage. I really started to miss it and resolved immediately to find a masters team in the area. I first looked to Deerfield and made the call to go there. I talked on the phone with their coach for 20 minutes and they actually told me I should look to Libertyville because they would have a better schedule and would be a cheaper option for me.
    So the very next day I called coach Laurel and decided that I would show up and try it out. I've been hooked since.

The present:
    Since January - I'm now down to 225 pounds, and I feel like I have seriously another 40 pounds to go. I lift much more often, often times 3-4 times a week. I have curbed my eating to the point where I now probably eat about half the calories I was eating before in any given week. I have great muscle definition in my arms and legs and can't wait to see where I go from here. I often times push myself to the point of complete failure in whatever I'm doing. With swimming that usually means my ankles and legs begin to completely cramp up, with lifting that usually means I have a large set of weights that are risking my ability to breath or move.
    Mentally I feel much sharper during the day, and often times with much more energy. I feel more tired physically - but that's usually a compliment of the constant exercise I do. I'm usually pretty taxed at the end of each day. Consequently it really helps me to get to sleep.
    My current activity schedule:
    1) Coaching for the Fluffs (h/s freshman basketball team). *Just finished last weekend*
    2) Libertyville Masters Swimming (averaging 2 miles per practice) (t/th/sun)
    3) Waukegan Park District Men's Softball (Fridays only- double headers)
    4) Lake Bluff Park District Co-ed Softball *Starts in June (t-th)
    5) My Company Basketball League *Starts in June - Wednesdays only.

The Future:
    Tomorrow I'm meeting with a personal trainer. His name is Jon and he's the drummer for my roommate's band. He's also a huge body builder. The guy is really smart and is pretty cool. In any case - I'm going to present my goals here so I can have them set up for him tomorrow.
    Goals for me in terms of my fitness level:
    1) Create a better diet plan for myself. I want something that's developed a little more intelligently than just me guessing at what I should and shouldn't eat. I need to minimize recovery times and maxmize my physical gains from each workout if I'm going to be able to perform well this summer.
    2) Build a solid workout program. I need a program that's going to challenge me and keep things switched up over a long period of time (> 6 months) but also something that's going to be easy enough so I can survive the other 5 things that I'll be doing on any given day.
    3) Reduce my body fat to < 10%. At that point I will be in a much healthier and stronger state than I've ever been in my entire life.
    4) Develop a year round program that will help me maintain a lifestyle of physical fitness.

There you have it. My past, present and future. I'm gonna cross my fingers on this one.

Updated October 1st, 2010 at 12:08 PM by bzaks1424

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Monday, 5/17/10

by , May 17th, 2010 at 11:42 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

200 free & back
    200 kick on side and back
    200 IM drill
    100 easy

swim 8 x 25 choice on 45: odds easy, evens build to fast finish
    (alternated back and free)
    50 easy

swim 3 x 50 back on 1:10 at goal 200 pace
    (did these around 40-41)
    200 easy

swim 4 x 25 from mid-pool, inside the flags should be FAST
    (2 free and 2 back)
    100 easy

2x
    {
    25 fast
    75 easy choice
    (one free, one back)
    }

400 easy alternating 100 free/100 back

Total: 2100 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. A Morning Jobbie!

by , May 17th, 2010 at 08:40 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    5:00 a.m. solo at the Monon Center. I was feeling a little mojo today; could it have been the shopping? I always thought selfless acts were supposed to make you feel better.....I'm afraid I may be more along the lines of a materialistic chw!
    Here's my workout. I wanted to keep going but I ran out of time and had to get going to work!
    **500 Freestyle rest :20
    **2 X 250 Free on 4:15
    **4 X 125 on 2:15
    rest :30 sec
    **400 Freestyle rest :15
    **2 X 200 Freestyle on 3:15 (paddles/bouy working on catch and body roll)
    **4 X 100 Freestyle on 1;45
    rest :20 sec
    **300 Freestyle rest :10
    **4 X 75 Free on 1;20
    **6 X 50 Free on 1;00
    rest :20 sec
    **200 Backstroke
    **2 X 100 IM

4,00 scy

Absolutely OUT OF TIME. I ran down the deck, jumped into a rapid-fire shower, and barely made it to school before teacher deadline!!!!
    I finally had a swim that was exhilaratingly satisfying! I'm going to have a good day today!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Blocks, Blocks, Blocks YEAH!!!!

by , May 17th, 2010 at 07:44 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Yes today I had a block to work with. Had to dive around two other people in my lane but managed.

5x100@2:00 Free
    500 Free
    10x50 Free from block 25 sprints
    500 free kick w/fins
    5x100@2:00 Free pull
    10x30 free & fly from block to 15 meter mark

Total 2800 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Saturday May 15, 2010

Warm-up
    300 free
    200 IM Drill
    300 various drills
    4x 50 kick/build
    50 @ 200 goal pace
    2 x 25 @ 100 goal pace with an ez 25 after

4 x 12.5 fast breakout 37.5 ez

150 c/d

Total: 1500 yards

Need to work on the timing of my breakout still. I think I need maybe two extra flutter kicks before trying to start swimming. Sometimes it's pretty on, sometimes it's a tad early.

Other than that my swims are starting to feel good. I plan on another massage this week, and a swim Monday and Wednesday. Probably take Tuesday off. IF I decide to swim on Tuesday I'll do an 800 ez or less.

Ready to test my training and taper ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Sunday

by , May 16th, 2010 at 06:58 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Nasti's this morning! I guess we are starting outdoors next week-end.
    The weather is supposed to be cold, raw, and wet all week. I hope the heater is up for a big challenge!!
    Long course will be a good change I hope.

Workout-Short Course Meters
    **600 Freestyle Warm-up
    **3 X (500 on 8:30/ 6 X 50 Stroke on 1:15/ and 4 X 25 Kick on :45)
    **ez 200 back cool-down
    3,500 scm

I did some theraputic shopping today in my attempt to get out of my funk and re-gain my normal "good karma!" I ended up with a really cute new dress and top from Anthropologie!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Sunday, May 16

by , May 16th, 2010 at 06:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

500 various
    300 fly drills

Other sets:

2 x (25 EZ speed breast + 25 EZ)

3 x (25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ)

1 x (25 fast flutter kick + 50 EZ)

1 x (25 fast free + 50 EZ)

50 EZ

1 x (25 AFAP free + 25 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 1400

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just had a pretty easy swim today. I was somewhat tired after getting up early, the driving & traveling and the marathon race anxiety. Mr. Fort did great though! He needed a 3:35:59 to qualify for Boston. He finished in 3:32+. He was over 1:00 under a 3:30 pace, but really blew up after mile 21. This is so common it seems like the human body isn't meant to go any more! He was really happy and relieved since he's only been running regularly since March after all his rehab. His former PT had said he might have to give up running for cycling. But the extreme angle isometric holds he's been doing have really worked! I was freaking out at the mile 9 stop when he ran by well after the scheduled time, but then I learned they started the race 5-6 minutes late. Whew!

Now to get some sleep tomorrow and start packing for Atlanta!

Below is Mr. Fort shuffling to the finish with his amazing training partner who paced him.

Updated May 16th, 2010 at 07:37 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020210.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	6391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020216.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	6392  
  16. Hairstyles for Twins and other Taper Distractions

by , May 16th, 2010 at 01:04 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Many of you are going to Nationals and hence have probably begun to cut your yardage down for the so-called "taper" period.

Two-a-day workouts consisting of 16,000 meters per session have been reduced by at least 10 percent. I daresay some of the lazier masters swimmers are swimming no more than 12,000 meters total per day now, all in order to let their bodies "rest."

Alas, when the body rests, the mind is free to run particularly riotous, or at least that is my experience.

Perhaps some of you are feeling odd sensations in your shoulders and have begun to speculate on S.L.A.P. lesions and rotator cuff fraying. Perhaps digestive irregularities have caused you to wonder if a diet consisting on 10 percent fruits and vegetables, 10 percent whole grains, 10 percent small sticks you have found in the woods, and 70 percent Activia yogurt has been, perhaps, a bit ill-advised?

Who wants to swim Nationals feeling slightly bloated?

Hence your mind ruminates over and over again on whether today is the right time to drop the fruits, vegetables, and whole grains entirely, and go to the oft-recommended 100 percent small-sticks-and-Activia diet?

If you are thinking such thoughts, chances are you are in need of a major distraction.

Just as a magnificent race horse can only be calmed down by the presence, in his or her barn stall, of a friendly pony, goat, or some other cuddly friend animal, so does your current swimming thoroughbred status--oh, you know who you are, you magnificent specimens, you!--require the assistance of a little fuzzy animal friend or two to calm you down before your own big show in Atlanta.

My twin brother John and I are more than willing to be those comical little animal friends for you.

In this spirit, we have made a short film that is IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO LIKE A LOT.

It is on a subject that is of no little tangential interest to swimmers, as well: hair.

To be sure, in this, the final swan song of the high tech body suit for men, the issue of hair is perhaps not quite so feverish as it will be next year at this time.

But it is still of some interest.

My brother told me this morning, "You are really going to have to like us to like this movie."

He may be right. But I am betting that even people who hate us, or at the very least do not like us or are somewhat indifferent to us, will nevertheless like this movie regardless of their lack of affection for the hirsute protagonists.

To reiterate: unlike some of my other efforts lately, this is a short film that is IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO LIKE A LOT.

Especially if you watch it quite a number of times and let it grow on you.

I dare you to prove me wrong.

Good luck at Nationals; good luck with the small sticks and Activia diet; and good luck managing to stifle your affection reflex for the Thornton twins and their glorious manes of hair from toe to shining heads.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YsDUUysELg"]YouTube- How to Hairdress Your Identical Twin[/nomedia]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. The kids become the teacher

by , May 16th, 2010 at 12:23 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Yes Saturday we were at the Y where there were blocks! So after our usual 2000 yards they tried to fix my "PLOP" as they call it.

It was fun for the students to teach the teacher.

Hope to see everyone at Nationals!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. 6 Hour Swim..... DONE!

Yesterday was a beautiful day for a swim... well... it was a bit windy, and there was a good amount of chop the whole way.

We had a great turnout of swimmers, kayakers and land based support to share it with. The word is out that we are having a blast in the Hudson every weekend and people are traveling from afar to be a part of it. In attendance were Danielle, Mike and Richard providing kayak escort; Rondi, Bec, John, Willie, Terry, Jordan, Jim and I swimming; and Andy providing land based support in the way of transportation and preparation of a wonderful birthday feast.... happy birthday to Rondi!

We started to assemble at Andy's house in Chelsea at 8 AM... gear and feeds spread all over the lawn... introductions made... reunions and catching up took up nearly an hour... whats the hurry, the river isn't going anywhere. We loaded up 3 cars and drove to the starting point. Kayaks unloaded last minute grease and sunscreen applied, we had to come up with a game plan.

We had a brief meeting. Identified which of us would be needing feeds... what, how and how often; assigned swimmer groups to kayakers; and decided to swim a circuit, north and south, and shoot for the same finish area for everyone... a bit north of the hamlet of Chelsea.

I had calculated my feeds to provide 285 calories in 27 oz. per hour. To accomplish this, I prepared a concentrated mix of fruit punch flavored EFS (1st endurance) and would have hot water added to it just before feed time... every 20 minutes. After the first feed, it became clear that this method was cumbersome for Mike... removing the spray skirt... hands off the paddle... unscrewing the cap on the giant stanley thermos and trying to get the near boiling water into my feed bottle without it landing on his crotch in the windy choppy river. For MIMS, my feeds will be prepped on my power escort, then handed off to Mike or Danielle to pass to me, so this wasn't really an attempt to duplicate that feeding procedure, but after the first feed, I decided to change the plan to every 30 minutes rather than every 20 minutes. This gave Mike a little respite between feeds but reduced my caloric intake by 1/3.

The first group of John, Bec, Rondi and Willie were out of the water and drying/warming by the time we came to the exit beach the first time. I said my goodbyes to Terry and Jordan and started swimming south with my escort Mike to intercept Jim and Danielle. We would continue this criss-crossing, north/south pattern for the next 4 hours. Its comforting to know there is another swimmer in the water.

Jim Meier is booked for the same tide as me for English Channel this season... Aug 28 - Sept 6, so we both wanted to get this swim under our belts earlier rather than later. Jim did a 6 hour last weekend in South Jersey... but the water temp wound up being too high for the qualification swim, 63 degrees.

As I approached the finish area for the last time, I saw a bunch of people standing on this rock ledge (about 8-10 feet tall) on the south side of the "beach". Clare and another Danielle had joined the party.... a welcome site!

I had some trouble finding my balance on the rocky bottom and though normally a drip-dry kind of guy, I graciously accepted the large towel handed to me.

Mike and Danielle, you guys rocked today! We couldn't have done it without you.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Water-logged

by , May 15th, 2010 at 11:03 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Swim practice this morning with NASTI'S. All our workouts have been similar lately; downward freestyle pyramiding sets. We only did 3,000 scm. The High Schoolers got out late and the Special Olympic Kids start hovering early.
    I stayed after practice for an hour and a half and helped Special Olympics swimmers. I had 3 lively swimmers' in my lane! We had fun and worked a lot on kicking and moving the arms at the same time.
    I was frozen and starved by the time I was done.
    Lunched at Panera and followed it up with a bad haircut!
    The rest of the day I loafed, napped, and watched the horse race.
    I had planned to Kettlebell and take a run but it just didn't happen.

Two weeks of school remain in this year. Tomorrow I'll spend a lot of time working on semester grades for 754 students.

Oh....I bought a gluten-free cookbook tonight. The recipes sound pretty good. I may (as soon as I have time to cook again) start trying them and posting the good ones on my blog.
    I love bread and pasta but I could give it up if I felt healthier by doing so.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Saturday, May 15, 2010

by , May 15th, 2010 at 05:45 PM (Keepin Track 2010)
    Went to the YMCA today with another teammate to do a long meet warmup. Felt pretty good in spurts.

WU
    500 Mix

100 BR mostly Kick

4x50 on 1' (alt 25 drill, 25 swim) all BR
    4x50 on 1' (alt 25 kick, 25 swim) 3 BR 1FR

4x50 FR on 1' BU, BD, EZ, FAST

8x25 IM order by 2 (FL, BA, BR, BR) on :45
    #1 work BO
    #2 work Finish

6 mid pool 25's for turns

easy 100 Kick
    easy 100 WD