View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Fun with the kids

by , October 29th, 2009 at 08:06 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    It is really fun to swim with the kids. The team is very small since this is a rural area, but there is quite a bit of talent. I'm really lucky to swim in one of the faster lanes with a couple of very talented kids.

One of the kids, a young man who is a high school senior is simply unmatched on his turns. I can see him underwater as he comes off the wall and it reminds me to have a good turn. I probably see him because most of the time he is underwater. This is the way it should be, but pretty amazing he can sustain this even on longer swims. He swims only 8 months out of the year and 4 times a week. The other part of the year, he runs hurdles for his high school track team . In an individual race (NOT a relay split) on the 50 fly, he has recently done a 22. Each push off the wall is an explosion and his SDK is textbook. Sheer power - the guy has only 2% body fat. Anyway, every time I am second or third in line, I get to see perfect turn technique. Keeps me on my toes!

The young lady is a serious workhorse. Her forte is 200 fly and the 1650 free. Every time I swim with her, I'm reminded how much of a lazy sprinter I am. I've had to step it up a notch just so I don't get blown away. At the end of practice, we did 8 x 50 on :50 of fly/back, back/breast, back/free, and free/fly. I was just dying and had to do free on some of the swims. She would beat me doing fly and back when I was doing free. On free/fly, she would just leave me in the dust on fly. This is all good because I will try to work to keep up just to maintain my dignity.

Anyway, it is fun to to be in there swimming with them and encouraging them. Great kids with great attitudes.

Far below is the workout I did today. Note that this is what I did today and not all of what they did. I was late for warm-up and several times coach and I started chatting about some things. I kind of took it easy where I could as there is a chance I might run a 5k this weekend.

Speaking of running, after Saturday, I plan to go back to just running once (once in a blue moon, maybe twice) and at a very easy pace. This has been my plan since August. Kind of bummed I didn't get to race more, but at least I've gotten some halfway decent running in. Mixing intense run workouts and swim workouts has been challenging. I've gotten a stronger pull because I have not been able to rely on my kick as much. This is a good thing as I think in the past I've been guilty of being overly dependent on my kick. Lately, I've noticed that on fin and/or kick sets, I'm getting killed by the kids. Conversely, I've been getting much faster on the pull sets.

Anyway, before I ramble much more, here is what I did today:

Warm-up (late): 400 easy - mix of swim/kick

4 x 250 with fins: First 2 were 100 fly/75 back/50 breast/25 free, second 2 were 25 fly/50 back/75 breast/100 free - on 30 seconds rest

300 I.M. kick
    200 I.M. pull with buoy

6 x 100 - odds were choice/evens were I.M. - on 20 seconds rest (assigned 10, but was chatting with coach)

200 easy swim

8 x 50 - 2 rounds of fly/back, free, back/free, free/fly on :50

30 minutes of turn work (I watched and for fun demonstrated the 1980s backstroke turn one time.)

200 easy

3,300 yards

Updated October 29th, 2009 at 10:32 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. New suits!

If I ran an aquatics supply shop I would definitely have a "swimsuit of the month" club! I love getting new suits, and know I'm not the only swimmer who does.

When I get anxious about upcoming meets, I go online to look at (and inevitably buy) swimsuits. I sent in two meet entry forms last week, and received 3 suits in today’s UPS. Here are my new suits:

That second one is not typical of my swimwear. I generally love bright colors and loud prints that the rest of the world considers gawd-awful. Coincidentally, such suits are often on clearance or included in grab-bag deals.

I usually have about 2 or 3 suits that I rotate through for workouts. This is my current fave:

Alas, it’s getting a bit stretched out and will have be dispatched to swimsuit heaven soon. I’ll probably replace it one of the new suits sometime after my meet next weekend. (I often save new suits for a couple of weeks and use them as motivational rewards for finishing an especially hard set, or for adding in an additional practice in any given week.)

I don’t usually pay attention to the names swimsuit companies give their suits, but this one caught my eye:

The Finals Shattered Dreams Super V Back

I don’t see that one being voted the team suit of some summer-league age group squad. I wouldn’t want to send out the order forms for “shattered dreams” at the club discount price (just indicate your child's size requirement!)

More on actual swimming tomorrow!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Buboes in Perspective

by , October 29th, 2009 at 04:32 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Day 47

Finally back in the water...

5x100 FR@2:00

10x50 Pull@1:00 Odds BR Evens FR

5x50 Kick BR@1:15
    5x50 Kick FR@1:00 w/fins

200 Easy

1700 SCY Indoors Solo
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Thursday, Oct. 29

by , October 29th, 2009 at 02:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hot Yoga:

I woke up this morning feeling, as Allen predicted I would, absolutely flattened from yesterday's gym + lactate buffering set. Speedo had a possible call at noon, so we postponed our Thursday speed session. This was probably a good thing for me, as more anaerobic work was not what I needed today. Instead, I took my battered body off to hot yoga. Definitely a good decision! I feel much better and looser. "Refreshed" is still pushing it. The last 15 minutes of the class were, as usual, heat torture. And there was a woman b*tching about everything during the class. I wanted to smack her, just like Geek fantasizes about taking out twitter/iphone girl in his spin class.

No time for any other exercise today as I have full slate of kids' games and sporting events. Just as well, I'm sure, assuming "less is more." I'm hoping to get to the gym and/or pool tomorrow afternoon, but I'm stuck at home for a delivery, which better be timely! I like being a mostly SAHM on the whole; I just don't like to SAH. lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I saw this article in the NY Times. The people I know who can best tolerate pain are Geek, CS and Mr. Fort.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/29/fa...=2&ref=fashion

In other news, I read that B70 was, in fact, developing a new suit. I was very glad to hear this, as I'm (understatement here) a B70 fan.

http://twitter.com/blueseventy/status/5242674279

I'm not sure which suit I'm going to wear at my next meet, as my B70 has a small hole and is approaching old age ...

Also found this article on upper body plyometrics, which I haven't really ventured into yet except for some clap pushups.

http://www.performbetter.com/catalog...lePlyometrics3

Box jump demo:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...Variations.wmv

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And My son just came home and announced he has swine flu.

Updated October 29th, 2009 at 08:40 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  6. Thu OCT 29th, 2009

by , October 29th, 2009 at 11:31 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu OCT 29th, 2009

did FOUR OR MORE SDKs off EVERY wall in today's practice except for breastroke

Next MEET: 2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships
    December 4th - 6th, 2009 at Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

35 Days till Long Beach
    Leave in 5 weeks for Long Beach

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY no blocks
    6:30 - 8:00
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center main pool
    Swam with tyler & brandon
    beside Todd Amy Marcio Paul & Larry
    dove in on time

WORE brief

warm up
    400 fr finger tip drag
    300 fr fists closed
    200 k went 2:35
    100 with 8 breaths

MAIN SET

assigned: 8 x 100 fr on 1:30
    did: 100 fr, 50 fr 50 rest

4 x 25 fl on 30

assigned: 7 x 100 fr on 1:30

4 x 25 bk on 30

assigned: 6 x 100 fr on 1:30

4 x 25 br on 40

assigned: 5 x 100 fr on 1:30
    did: 50 fr 50 rest, 100 fr

4 x 25 fron 30

assigned 40 x 25
    did: 25 easy rest while my lane did 2 x 25, 25 SDK fast from a dive went 12's

Updated October 29th, 2009 at 02:22 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Happy morning workout

I was feeling a little bleary-eyed this morning after staying up to watch the Yankees lose last night, and considered skipping practice, especially since I had swum a bit last night before the game. While procrastinating by reading the paper, I came across this article (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/29/fashion/29FITNESS.html?_r=1&ref=fashion) on how athletes deal with pain when competing. After reading about Kara Goucher's toughness in last year's marathon, I was a bit ashamed that I was considering letting a little sleep loss keep me from swim practice, so I toddled over to the pool and was glad I did.

My usual lane was fairly crowded today (6 in a SCY pool), so I again moved over to a lane where there were only 2 swimmers and adjusted my swims to fit their more generous intervals. My favorite part of today's workout was

1 x 50 BR K @ 1:20
    2 x 50 BR Drill @ 1:05
    3 x 50 BR Swim @ 1:00 [50, 45, 41]
    right into
    6 x 150 @ 2:40 [I did the odds BK/BR/BK by 50, really working the BR along with the turns into and out of it, and the evens FR/K/FR moderate pace]

This summer I injured a knee ligament (right MCL) and was unable to swim breaststroke for nearly 3 months. Since then, I've modified my BR kick, keeping my legs a little further behind my body (nearer the surface) on the outward part of the kick, and feeling my glutes and adductors working a bit more when bringing my legs back together. My knee started feeling a bit twingy this morning during this set. I focused on my kick modification and the knee immediatly felt better, plus my kick felt more powerful. I'll be interested to see how the new kick affects my breaststroke times this fall.

At the end of workout I was able to practice some dives off the block (Thank you coach Brad!). Afterwards, I went to my Y to do arm weights, stretch, and do my PT exercises. On the way home I resisted getting cookies or coffeecake at the farmers market. All in all, a good morning.

Should be better weather for Game 2 tonight--go Yankees!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Alittle Mixed UP Today

by , October 29th, 2009 at 07:29 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Mixed up in a good way though. Decided to test out all strokes, see how the shoulder is progressing. It was good at the beginning but is sore now. Will do my usual daily repair work and be good as new for tomorrow.

10x100@2:00 Free 1/2 pull 1/2 kick
    5x100@1:45 Free kick w/fins
    10x50@1:00 alt by 50 Breast pull/Fly swim w/fins (get the dolphin in the breast)
    5x100@2:00 Back w/fins underwater recovery
    10x50@1:00 alt by 50 Free/Back descended the free's from :42to:38 and held 47's on Back
    200 Free EASY get out early to beat the kids to the shower!

Total 3200 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. On Misery!

by , October 28th, 2009 at 07:45 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Misery is one of the least appreciated of human emotions. In the spirit of Christopher Smart, who died in an insane asylum where he was incarcerated for religious mania, and in which he wrote about his most famous of all cats, Geoffrey, permit my small indulgence here.

Let us agree, for the sake of today's swimming-related vlog, that the cause of misery is exile from the pool waters that usually provide respite from life's bejangling predicament of nerves.

Yes, we will, for the sake of a swimming vlog, specify this as the exact source of misery--a surfeit of excitatory neurotransmitters with no place to go-- though there could, of course, be any of a myriad other contributors, too. There always are!

For I will now consider my misery:
    for in ones dotage it slows the speeding clock
    and gives reason to hope the winding spring soon breaks;
    for it surges a tide of memories past,
    and brings back from the darkness most of life;
    for it reunites you with your authentic self;
    for it removes the gauze and the glass darkly;
    for it will not let you look away;
    for it burns your skin from ear to pubis;
    and pares the tallow from your hide,
    and obliterates the need for sleep,
    and jacks the marrow with tinctures of terror,
    and removes promise, that demon tormentor,
    for it makes you twist the same idea endlessly;
    for it preminisces no end of ends;
    for it makes you friends with your enemies,
    who cannot deny the gift you've given them;
    for it removes all fret about things without weight;
    for it proclaims your guilt and absolves it through dumb rage;
    and lets you do what must be done,
    and ensures it cannot be undone;
    for it will not swim but it can sweat;
    for it creeps no faster than a child's hours;
    for it is incurable.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Weights + Run

by , October 28th, 2009 at 06:16 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Weights this morning. Didn't have much time, so just got in a short workout.

Lat hi row: 100 x 10: 2 sets of 120 x 15

Bench press: bar x 10, 75 x 15, 85 x 10, 95 x 5

Alt. hammer curls: 2 sets of 15 x 10

Triceps pulldowns: 2 sets fo 40 x 15

Leg raises: 1 set of 20

Back extensions: 1 set of 20

While son was at swim practice, went upstairs at Y and did a HIIT workout on the treadmill:

2 miles warm-up at average of 9:45 pace
    2 miles -alternated 1 minute hard, 2 minutes walk - on hard efforts did 8.5 mph, 9.0, 9.5, 10.0, 9.5, 9.0, 8.5
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Dryland + Allen Stark Set, Wed., Oct. 28

by , October 28th, 2009 at 05:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Dryland:

Did mostly plyos and core today as my back was sore from yesterday's lifting efforts.

Weights/Plyos:

lying triceps extension w/30 lb BB, 30 x 3 x 15
    standing full twist w/35 lb plate, 3 x 25
    squat presses w/15 lb DBs, 3 x 15
    lunges w/25 lb DBs, 3 x 15
    chin ups, 2 x 10
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    rock star jumps, 2 x 10
    squat jacks w/med ball on step, 3 x 15
    swing kicks, 2 x 25
    double airborne heisman, 2 x 1:00*

Core:

crunches on yoga ball, 2 x 25
    hanging straight leg raises, 2 x 15
    prone jack knife on yoga ball, 1 x 15
    (don't like this one)
    crunch + hold legs and head in streamline above ground for 5 seconds, 2 x 10
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    romanian crunches, 3 x 25**

* DAH = http://video.google.com/videosearch?...8&sa=N&tab=wv#

**We don't have the correct bench or device to do these the easy way. So I sat across a bench, put 2 25s lb plates on my feet and did them. Tried to get my head as low to the ground as it would go. These are a good core exercise, but I don't recommend them for anyone with a sketchy lower back. Here's a video of someone doing them this way: http://www.sixpackabsexercises.com/b...es-on-video/42. He's obviously a male weenie since he can't lean back very far.

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick drill

Ugh, at this point, I felt like I needed another recovery workout. So I tried an aerobic kick set to attempt to shake the torpor off.

Aerobic Kick:

10 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:30
    8 SDKs each 25

50 EZ

Allen Stark Speed Set:

Allen has mentioned doing fast 50s @ 1:00 to failure on the forum. I asked him about it and he said:

The Swimming Fastest book gave several options for lactic acid tolerance sets and that one seemed doable. (I do them as BR pull dolphin kick with fins so my body doesn't get too confused about bad form. The fins also decrease shoulder strain.) The idea is to build up the lactic acid buffer systems so that you don't slow down at the end of a 50 and especially a 100.

So I decided to do 10 attempting to hold a perceived 100 race pace effort. I went slightly slower than a real 100 pace, as I was so tired from the drylands and swimming in shallower water than normal. Ideally, I'd like to do this set a second faster. And, when I asked Allen later, he said he usually does 6-8 -- not 10 --and is tired the next day.

10 x 50 back w/fins @ 1:00
    went 27.5ish on all of them

100 EZ

Recovery set:

8 x 50 back/breast @ 1:00

50 EZ

Speed Set:

3 x (3 x 25 AFAP + 25 EZ) on interval whatevah

#1 = fast UW flutter kick shooter
    #2 = fast flutter kick in streamline
    #3 = fast free

100 EZ

Total: 3400

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Feeling rather dead after the last two days. Only doing one workout tomorrow with Speedo and I hope I survive it! Then, drylands and hot yoga on Friday. Or at least that's the plan. There is a 4 day weekend coming off with the first quarter of school ending. I hate these!

Power Wheel:

I ordered a power wheel today. Not the ab roller, but the power wheel. So I have another toy to take to the gym. Toys Are Me.

http://www.performbetter.com/detail....861_A_rnd_E_23

Updated October 28th, 2009 at 08:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Test Sets
  12. Easy day today

by , October 28th, 2009 at 12:09 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    10/28/09

SCY, solo

400 swim free and back
    300 IM drill
    (did as k/d/s by 25's for each stroke)
    200 kick reverse im order
    100 pull backstroke

swim 10 x 100 on 1:45: odds free, evens IM:
    50 easy

kick choice 8x: 1 min. on, 15 sec. off: keep it smooth and feel out the kick
    (I did this as continuous kick, going hard for the minute then a float kick for 15, went about 450 total)

pull 8 x 50 on 1:00 choice
    (alternated back and free, w/buoy only, focusing on rotation with both strokes)
    --
    Total: 2900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Wed OCT 28th, 2009

by , October 28th, 2009 at 10:09 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed OCT 28th, 2009

went to "So You Think You Can Dance Tour" in Austin last night, had a great time but went to bed late

sat with Eddie after practice and watched UT men work out, Shanteau & Piersol trained this morning.

Today I'm hosting a lunch with UT swim coaches, Eddie Reese, Kim Brackin, Kris Kubik, & Jim Henry & former UT swimmers

Next MEET: 2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships
    December 4th - 6th, 2009 at Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

36 Days till Long Beach
    Leave in 5 weeks for Long Beach

FOUR OR MORE SDKs off EVERY wall

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY no blocks
    5:30 - 6:45
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center diving well
    Swam with todd & Nate
    beside tyler & Marcio
    arrived at 5:45

WORE brief

warm up
    missed it

MAIN SET

assigned: 15 minutes swim do 50 IM's
    did: swim 100 rest 50

assigned 8 x 100 on 1:15
    did 8 x 50 fr on 1:15 5 SDKs off each wall

assigned: 15 minutes swim do 100 IM's
    did: 50 swim 50 rest
    alternated 25 fl 25bk with 25 br 25 fr

assigned 8 x 100 k with fins on 1:30
    did 8 x 50 k with NO FINS on 1:15 5 or more SDKs off each wall

50 easy

Updated October 28th, 2009 at 11:00 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Preparing for my 1st meet this season

My first meet in this season's every-event madness is a week from Sunday--the SCM Fall Classic at the Nassau County Aquatic Center on Long Island. I'm swimming 5 events: 100 IM, 100 BR., 100 BK, 200 IM, and 200 BK. These are all familiar events that I would be likely to swim even in a regular season. I'd like to swim good times in the first four; as for the 200 BK, I've already swum a SCM time that I'm pleased with this year (2:45 in May). It's unlikely that I'll improve upon that swimming it as the 5th event in a 1-day meet, so I'm doing it at this meet simply for the sake of my every-event-in-a-month adventure.

Here's the things I need to work on during my next week-and-a-half of training in order to feel confident at my upcoming meet:

BR turn--focus on tucking tight and rotating backwards initially (do back-flip to turn progression to get feel for this)

BK starts--do some

Block starts--do some of these too, focusing on keeping core engaged and streamline strong as I'm entering water

200 IM--do a couple of these all-out at workouts to practice stroke transition keys while fatigued

Meters vs. yards--I usually workout SCY, so I should get myself to a SCM pool a time or two before the meet to get used to swimming meters. I especially need to do some BK turns at speed with the flags set to meters rather than yards.

So, that's my check-off list for the next week-and-a-half. I will probably need to ask my coaches if I can do some starts at the end of practices. The rest of these skills I can practice on my own if they don't fit easily into workouts. And since some of my team's workouts are in a SCM pool, I'll make it a priority to go to a practice or two there.
    (Added bonus--if I go to the Saturday afternoon SCM workout this week, I can wear my Halloween cap!)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Still nursing the shoulder a bit

by , October 28th, 2009 at 07:24 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    The shoulder is not as bad as it had been but it still lets me know it is there. I decided to take it easy today.

100,200,300,400@:15R Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 sprint
    500 Back kick & drills w/fins fashion model, arms perpendicular, partial recovery, streamline, fashion model
    8x50 from dive 2 of each stroke breakout FAST shut down at 15 meter mark finish EZ Free
    3x200@3:30 Free w/paddles & bouy nice and long

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Tuesday

by , October 27th, 2009 at 11:22 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Nasti's tonight.
    I was tired. I think last week's overzelous sp? running was paying me back. I have started doing core and UB conditioning with 4 of my classes everyday. It doesn't seem like that much till you multiply it times 4.
    Here's the workout:
    *200 Free WU swim
    *200 Dolphin Kick on Back
    *100 IM warm-up
    *300 Freestyle swim on 5:00
    *200 freestyle swim on 3:30
    *100 freestyle Kick on ?
    *4 X 125 on 2:00
    *3 X 100 on 1:45
    *100 freestyle kick
    *10 X 50 on 1:00 (kick down/stroke back)
    *200 Backstroke cool-down swim
    2,700 SCY

Indy Fall Classic Meet Saturday and Sunday @ the IU Natatorium.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Parachute wonderland

by , October 27th, 2009 at 10:31 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Good gracious! Swimming with a parachute is a beast! Hide the cameras! Doing a flip-turn with one of those things is something that should be shown on the comedy channel!

Will give workout, but have to say things are very interesting when you get behind a distance swimmer. At first, giving her plenty of room to start, I would come right up on her. I think she felt bad and would do an open turn so that her parachute would not strangle me. After 125 yards, she would easily pull away. I keep asking myself if this is a matter of age or simply lack of endurance. Both?

Warm-up: 500 free, 4 x 50 on :45

250 free with parachute
    1 minute rest
    5 x 50 free kick on 1:00
    1 minute rest
    250 free with parachute
    1 minute rest
    5 x 50 free kick on 1:00
    1 minute rest
    250 regular free
    1 minute rest
    5 x 50 free kick on 1:15

4 x 75 on 1:15 - free/sprint fly/free on odds/ all free on evens (Assigned 8 and should have done fly on middle length on all 8, but was sort of warming down - had to get out to take son to piano).

100 easy

2600 yards

Updated October 29th, 2009 at 10:34 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. S.L.?

by , October 27th, 2009 at 08:37 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    The beautiful blonde dermatologist replied, when I began to tell her the history of my lesion and the possible (but ever more remote) chance that it came from the Wilderness, "Oh, I read about you in the paper."

Then she took her swab and rubbed the lesion so pitilessly I thought for sure I would swoon.

She took a hypodermic needle and injected me with some sort of anesthetic, which apparently works first as a pain magnifier.

I can't remember for certain, but I thought I heard her say, "Little prick, just for a moment."

When I came to, she had removed from her bag of Jeremy Irons-inspired surgical devices an implement she described as a cookie punch.

A minute later, a bit of Jimby dough had been removed and placed into some sort of biohazard bag with a mailing label. Here it joined with the swab samples.

She closed the wound with a single stitch.

The beautiful blonde dermatologist sans merci told me I could put my pants back on.

In a week, I shall know my fate, but it is looking increasingly like S.L.

She did not use this acronym exactly, but it was written in her beautifully green and merciless eyes: sexual leprosy, picked up from God knows where.

God most likely had very little to do with it.

You can search the dermatology pictures high and low and not find another picture that exactly resembles this one.

In one week, I shall return to learn my diagnosis.

I suspect this will be obvious in much less than a week.

Little or not, I am waiting for it to drop off, confirming what we all suspect.

The last picture I will likely post of my lesion, unless, that is, there is a hue and cry of begging for more.

Unlikely, I know. A graph of my recent vlog visits resembles the stock market last year.

If indeed it does fall off, perhaps there will be a slight bump as I apply to swim in the gender category we all know is where I belong.

Tis the end of Jimby the kind of man; and the birth of something a tad more monstrous and in need of warning the children about, as in "don't stare at that poor thing, kids--it can't help it, what it's become--it is merely paying the price for hope over reason."

The next time you think you see good in your fellow apes, remember this and think again!

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Drylands + Streamlining, Tues., Oct. 27

by , October 27th, 2009 at 05:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Weights:

leg extensions, 100 x 5 x 5
    leg press, 350 x 1 x 10, 370 x 1 x 10
    (can't remember if I did a 3rd set of these or not ...)
    bench press, 100 x 1 x 10, 110 x 1 x 10
    rack chins, 4 x 15
    lying bicep curl on cable machine, 80 x 3 x 10
    overhead squats w/bar, 2 x 10
    (almost lost my balance trying to squat deeper on the second set)
    HS hi row, 180 x 3 x 8

Core:

bicycles, 2 x 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    decline reverse crunches, 2 x 25

Plyos:

lunge + lunge + broad jump, 1 x 10
    box jumps (over box), 5 x 10
    football plyos (5 small jumps in running position, then leap and twirl 180 degrees), 3 x 5

RC:

external and internal rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25

It took me awhile to warm up in the gym today, but then I got in a groove. I was mesmerized for awhile by a tall guy doing seemingly effortless box jumps over a stack of boxes that looked about 3 feet high. Didn't feel quite up to doing a 5 x 5 workout right after a meet, so did a mish mash of reps.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Drove 15 minutes to another pool b/c the gym pool was closed. Fortunately, my son with the bum ankle was home to watch my youngest, as this made me late. Did a recovery/hypoxic/streamlining workout. I used fins b/c I was feeling super lazy and they are fabulous for practicing streamlining.

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    300 fly drills

Hypoxic Kicking:

8 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 2:00
    9 SDKs off each wall, which took me to about the 15 meter mark each length (a little past on the first 25)
    cruised these, went 1:03-1:06

50 EZ

4 x 150 backstroke kick @ 2:30
    9 SDKs off each wall

50 EZ

10 x 50 @ 1:15
    25 UW shooter on belly + 25 feet first scull

50 EZ

5 x 50 UW shooter on belly @ 1:15
    1 breath at turn

50 EZ

sat in hottub

Total: 3250

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still a little tired from the meet, but not as crushed as I sometimes am. Probably b/c it was a 1 day meet. Definitely wasn't ready for any AFAP work though. In fact, this was almost an LSD workout! I got a PM from a forumite doing some research on the value of LSD workouts, so I hope to hear his views soon.

HITS Training?

Does anyone know anything about HITS training? Is this just for bodybuilders?

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_intensity_training[/ame]

Another Possible SCM Meet:

The Sprint Classic meet director said there is some plan in the works to have a SCM meet in Dec. at Wilson High School. That's the very nice pool where they held the Fall Ball. Don't know if it will come to fruition, but it could be the same weekend as NE Champs. I wish there was some more advance notice ... I also wish, as Neill was pointing out elsewhere, that PV had more than one SCM meet per year ...

PX90 Plyos:

Out of curiosity, I bid on the PX90 plyo video on ebay. Here is a review of that particular vid:

P90X: PLYOMETRICS X

Tony Horton
    This is the workout that made me love P90X. I should explain up front that I did not buy the whole system---the push-up heavy strength work did not interest me, so I split an order with a fellow VFer and got cardio, core synergistics and all the cardio ones. Kenpo X was too choreographed, Core Synergistics was not my thing, and I was about to give up whehn I gave Plyo X a try.

What a great workout! I wore a heart rate monitor and was at maximum the entire time. It is such a great structure for a routine: you do each exercise for just 30 seconds except every fourth one, which is a minute. generally I can't stand high impact, but at 30 seconds at a time, even I could manage this.

The exercises are grouped into rounds, and each round gets repeated once. The breakdown is as follows:

1) Jump squat, run stance squat, airborne heisman (lateral leaping), swing kick

2) Squat reach jump, run stance squat with direction switch, double airborne heisman, circle run

3) Jump knee tuck. jumping lunge, leapfrog squat, twist combo

4) Rock star hop, gap jump, squat jack, military march

5) Run squat with 180 jump, lateral leapfrog, monster truck tire, hot foot

6) Bonus round: pitch & catch, jump shot, football move (60 seconds each)

Some of my favourite moves were the run stance squat (squat low and pump your arms like you are running hard), the swing kick (swing your leg over a chair, I have seen this move in some of Wendilee's workouts), the moves where you jump to switch directions, the gap jump (imagine you are jumping over a large gap) and the sports moves in the bonus round.

Updated October 28th, 2009 at 07:54 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  20. customizing workouts

To prepare for swimming so much stroke at my upcoming meets, I've been trying to do more stroke in workouts. Today I moved down several lanes and converted the entire main set to stroke and IM--it was originally all free. So, I did

4 x 100 @ 1:45 (100 FL, 100 BK, 100 BR, 100 IM)
    easy 50
    2 x 200 IM @ 3:30
    easy 50
    1 x 400 IM @ 7:00
    easy 50
    1 x 200 IM @ 3:15
    easy 50
    2 x 100 IM @ 1:45

Since I didn't have anyone swimming super close in front or in back of me for most of the set, I focused on looking down towards the bottom of the pool on my FL and BR breathing (rather than looking ahead to see the swimmer in front of me) and on flipping quickly on BK and FR turns and pushing straight off the wall in a good streamline. I should also work on dolphining off the wall a bit more.

Another focus for preparing to swim so many events at these meets is doing more hard kicking in workouts. I'm hoping that if I get accustomed to using my legs more, my legs will feel a little less dead after my 3rd or 4th event of the day. So I stayed in the same lane at today's workout and did kick during the stroke set, and that worked out well.
    Categories
    Uncategorized