View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Dug this up out of an old workout

by , July 1st, 2010 at 08:28 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    For those days when you you just need something Long.

3000 w/paddles & bouy as 500 Free, 100 Back, 400 Free, 200 Back, 300 Free, 300 Back, 200 Free, 400 Back, 100 Free, 500 Back
    500 Free kick w/fins
    500 Free w/fins as drills EASY

Total 4000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Wednesday, June 30

by , July 1st, 2010 at 01:35 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Did a very easy 16 mile bike today at lunch. Just too hot to go fast, so I enjoyed taking in the scenery. Got chased briefly by a dog, but he was too fat to keep up. Plus, I gave him the old scolding sound that my friends say I should patent. Even makes squirrels run the other way. I've even gotten the chance to use it on bobcats and very young male bulls. Funny the things you contend with when you bike in a rural area.

Updated July 1st, 2010 at 10:05 AM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Wednesday, June 30, 2010

by , July 1st, 2010 at 01:00 AM (Keepin Track 2010)
    Felt good this am outside LC. Swam up a lane with Pete and Brent 1:30 base

600 mix
    4x50 R, L, K, S by 50

S 4x100 FR, S 1x50 SPEC, K 1x50 SPEC
    S 3x100 FR, S 1x50 SPEC, K 1x50 SPEC
    S2x100 FR, S 1x50 SPEC, K 1x50 SPEC
    S1 x100 FR, S 1x50 SPEC, K 1x50 SPEC

WD

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Happy Anniversary, USMS (July-August 2010)

by , July 1st, 2010 at 01:00 AM (SWIMMER Editorials)
    The Georgia Tech Hotel and Convention Center was the scene for the 40th Anniversary celebration that functioned as this year’s meet social at the 2010 Short Course Nation al Championships in Atlanta. Longtime USMS members gathered with brand new members to celebrate 40 years of competition and camaraderie.

The first national Masters swimming championships were held in Amarillo, Texas, in 1970, when Masters swimming was first being organized. Capt. Ransom J. Arthur, a Navy doctor who envisioned swimming as a way for adults to stay physically and mentally fit as they aged, collaborated with John Spannuth, then president of the American Swimming Coaches Association, to hold that first meet.

The meet social developed as a tradition over the years. This year, more than 300 athletes and guests were treated not only to a delicious catered meal, but also an interesting history lesson. Robert Beach with St. Petersburg Aquatics presented a slideshow highlighting some of the early days of Masters swimming. Beach, 79, one of the original members of USMS, has amassed a sizeable collection of memorabilia and was happy to share his reminiscences.

Beach is also the founder of the longest running short course Masters meet in the country, and quite possibly the world. After consulting with Ransom Arthur and Richard Rahe, another Navy doctor and early organizer of Masters Swimming in 1970, Beach organized what was originally called the Southern Short Course Championships, which later became the St. Petersburg Short Course Championships. The first meet in 1970 had 17 competitors, but these days the meet averages about 300.

Swimmers who love pool meets owe a debt of gratitude to these pioneers of Masters swimming: Arthur, Spannuth, Rahe, and others like June Krauser, Hal Onusseit, and Buster Crabbe. And their supporters—the early meet organizers, volunteers, and athletes, who showed up, swam, and worked to put down the foundation for the organization we enjoy today. Some of these athletes are still competing and were on hand to help celebrate in Atlanta, including Beach, Ted Haartz, Paul Hutinger, Jane Katz and Bumpy Jones. If you are fortunate to meet any of these members, be sure to thank them for their contributions to our great sport.

Updated July 1st, 2014 at 11:54 AM by Editor

Categories
    Staff Blogs
  5. Tuesday June 29, 2010

by , July 1st, 2010 at 12:58 AM (Keepin Track 2010)
    600 mix
    2x50 BR drill
    2x50 BA drill
    200 K with flips (I chose wo-flutter)

SWIM STRAIGHT 1x50FR, 2x25SPEC, 2x50FR, 2x25SPEC, 3x50FR, 3x25SPEC

SWIM same as above but on interval. 1' for 50, 40" for 25

Swim same as #2 with fins.

P 200 FR hard
    8x25 descend 1-4 and 4-8

WD
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Pool-Mate 2nd Review

by , June 30th, 2010 at 09:30 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Coached the Sharks on Monday SCY

I had to dig out a old workout from our folder at the pool.
    I hate when I leave things lying on my desk at home!!

I swam this tuesday test out the Pool-Mate in a SCY pool.

Here is what I swam and how the watch worked.

300 Warmup
    The watch claimed that I only swam 11 laps.
    I think that is because I was warming up.
    My 1st lap on warmup is only about 5 strokes after a few dolphin kicks.
    So I can't blame the watch here. I tend to glide alot during warmup.
    And the Manual says it won't work during drills.

Repeat 3x
    1x75 25 Kick/50 Drill :15r
    1x75 25 Drill/50 Swim :15r
    No watch here.

Repeat 2x
    200 Pull :15r
    150 Pull :15r
    100 Swim :30r

The watch was right on on laps.
    The stroke count was a little off.
    I've been counting strokes for years and out of habit I just do it.
    I averaged 12 strokes a lap, the watch said 10
    I also managed to get the efficiency to 25! (see my 1st review)
    But I know this was due to the reduced stroke count.

4 x 100 1:30
    4 x 50 :45
    50 EZ

3 x 100 1:25
    3 x 50 :50
    50 EZ

2 x 100 1:20
    2 x 50 :55
    50 EZ

1 x 100 1:15
    1 x 50
    50 EZ

Watch worked just like the 1st set.
    Close on the stroke count, right on on laps.

I still managed to keep the efficiency between
    25-28 on all swims.

I missed starting it on a couple of swims because I try to start it
    as I am underwater ready to push off.

The quick review is missing one thing...
    WHAT WAS MY TIME!!!!!!
    Sure I can see Laps, Strokes, Efficency but thats not
    what is really important at the end of a swim.
    I can see the time's when I review the logs.
    Maybe it's operator error. So I'll keep trying.

I just look at the manual again.
    There is a chrono mode for recording time only.
    I'll try that tomorrow.

UPDATE:
    You can see what time you swam in quick review.
    You just have to quit the set you are recording to do this.
    It still should display it during the set.
    More after I swim tomorrow.

Updated June 30th, 2010 at 11:01 PM by Bo Martin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Creating your own day spa at meet venues

Today was gorgeous here, so I walked over to Asphalt Green for the noon workout again. I wanted to work on some stroke and some sprinting today, and ended up totally highjacking what was meant to be a freestyle aerobic set to get what I wanted out of it. Here’s how it went:

500 warmup plus bobbing and sinking

9 x 100 FR (3 kick, 3 drill, 3 swim) @ :20ish rest

Freestyle set:
    10 x 75 @ 1:15 [I did 3 as 25 FR/ 25 ST / 25 FR, 3 as 25 ST / 25 FR / 25 ST, 3 as all ST (rotating through FL, BK, and BR for the ST on each of these sets of 3), then 1 as 25 FL / 25 BK / 25 BR]
    10 x 50 @ :45 [I did these all FR: 3 desc., then the rest concentrating on various pieces of sprinting: 1 working pushoff and breakout, 1 working turn, 1 working finish, 1 working breakout, 3 working turn]
    10 x 25 @ :30 [I did 3 1/3 x (2 easy, 1 sprint)]

200 warmdown + sinking and bobbing

I really hadn’t done any much sprinting since nationals—it felt really good today to go fast.

The only bad thing about workout today is that I somehow lost a contact in the pool. That hadn’t happened since I stopped playing polo, and I wasn’t even sure when or how it happened today. Although extra contacts are on my bring-to-meets list, they’re not something I always keep in my pool bag, so I had to get myself home with only one good eye. (I’m terribly nearsighted—my prescription is in the double digits.) It worked out ok, except that I had absolutely no depth perception, so stepping up and down off curbs was a little exciting. From here on I’m keeping an extra lens in my bag. (Of course, I could have just taken a taxi home, but it was really too pretty a day to be stuck in a cab in traffic.)

My last two meet experiences have convinced me that more is more when it comes to stuff. I’ve decided to re-write my meet pack list to accurately reflect all the comfort items I like to surround myself with when I’m hanging out at long meets. In addition to all the usual things like extra caps and goggles and warm clothes, this includes:

--a stretching mat (I like Kiefer’s stretching mat, which is cushier than yoga mats. Inflatable camping mats also work well too. I try to scout out the venue first thing to find a pretty, out-of-the-way spot to set up my stretching mat. I generally leave my swim bag and spend most of the meet sitting nearer the pool, with teammates or friends, but like having a little retreat set up away from the action.)

--an actual towel (The synthetic ones work fine for drying off after events, but a real beach towel laid over the stretching mat makes it way more comfortable to lie on, plus it looks festive. In a pinch, a hotel towel will do.)

--a pillow (I travel with a small pillow anyway, so carrying it back and forth from hotel to pool is no big deal)

--an eye mask (to block out light, or signal to teammates that you’re enjoying a me moment)

--a cooler packed with a sandwich, snacks, and iced tea (because you never know what food you’ll find at meet sites, and nutrition is too important to leave to chance. I have a soft-sided cooler I can pack, or have sometimes bought a cheap hard-sided cooler for longer multi-day meets once I arrive)

--a stretching rope

--a self-massage tool (I travel with this mini one and work pressure points in my back with it)

--ipod (I actually don’t use this much at meets, but if I get nervous or down it’s a sure-fire way to jolly myself back up)

--a YA book (I find these are about the right reading level for masters meets—easy to slip into and out of, not too disturbing, and often quite funny. At Middlebury I plowed through one of the “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” sequels, which had me in stitches.)

--toe socks to keep feet from getting chilled when wearing flipflops

--a hat and scarf to ward off chills during downtime

--I don’t yet have but want to get a compact foam roller. One of my friends brings his to meets and lets me use it, but I’d like one of my own.

--and of course a rolling duffle bag to carry all this stuff, because you don’t want to tire yourself out by toting it around yourself

Did I leave anything out?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Meet Prep for the IndySwimFit

I'm currently stuck in training at work. Its about how to run some monitoring application. Honestly - my efforts are better spent in about 50,000 different places, but I'm stuck here for the rest of the week. I'm going to do some prep for this weekends meet.

I will be swimming the following races:
    • 50 Back
    • 100 Back
    • 50 Free
    • 50 Breast
    • 100 free

I also did some reading, and it appears I can sign up for at 1 relay. I know I'm going to be completely cashed by this point, but I'm totally signing up for another relay at this meet. I loved swimming it last weekend. It was fun meeting the new people as I swam it as well!

Goals
    50 Back
    I'd like to go at least a 50 in the 50 back this time. I did a 53 last weekend, and I think this time I'm going to be a little better prepared mentally for the race. I've also increased my backstroke during the week and kick to help push myself down the lane.
    100 Back
    I'm hoping I survive. No kidding. It's going to be a long race - and I'll swim it as hard as I can, but we'll have to see. I'm also hoping to have a good flip turn followed by a strong dolphin kick. I'm aiming for the flags off the wall!
    50 Free
    I'm working on my sprints this week. I'm hoping to be able to make it to the 49 meter mark before I'm totally starting to cash out this time! So that means I need to dolphin off the dive and extend my dive for a little longer than I did last weekend. I swam a 33ish in 50 SCY, and a 39 last week. With some improvements in form that I'm working on I think I can speed things up significantly. My goal is going to remain 35 (as last week)
    50 Breast
    Survive again. It would be nice to finish my 50 Breast in under a minute. Its my weakest stroke mostly because my kick is essentially useless. I'm working on it, I just need time and experience I think. However - specifically - I'm going to make sure that each lunge forward with my arms helps propel my body forward.
    100 free
    I'd like to see no goggle problems this time, a strong dolphin kick off the wall and pacing it right. Again - with some strong improvements in form that i'm working on - I think I can speed this up significantly by this race. Goal: 1:25

My goal for every race
    Push through the O2 deprivation. I'll have at LEAST 2-3 minutes to catch my breath after every race - so O2 debt is not going to be a major concern. I can catch my breath later!

Nutritionally - I'm going to play it a little differently. Last meet I did not come prepared to consume enough fast acting carbs so I felt that my recovery was not nearly as fast as it should have been. So this time - I'm going to prepare again with a healthy balanced breakfast around 6 AM. Warm up around 8 AM, have a banana around 9 AM, and be ready to destroy my old record (hahaha only record) at 9:30-9:45 when the 50 back comes up.

So I'm ready... going to train on my own tonight, practice tomorrow night, and I get on a train at 2:20 Friday to head to Chicago to catch the 5 PM to Indy from Chicago. I might even lift Friday morning before work. We'll see if I can sleep after practice.
  9. Wednesday, 6/30/10

by , June 30th, 2010 at 01:20 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, with Carrie

Warm-up:
    200 swim-200 kick-200 drill
    (did this was all free)
    100 swim-100 kick-100 drill
    (did this was all back)
    50 swim-50 kick-50 drill
    (did this was all fly)

Main Set:
    May swim with fins! Repeat 3 times
    1 x 100/1:45 regular breath-strong
    (ave 1:25)
    1 x 75/1:15 breath on 5, more than strong
    (ave 1:02)
    1 x 50/1:00 breathe on 7 very strong
    (ave :39-40)
    1 x 25/1:00 NO Breath, Crazy Wild!
    (ave :17 did 1-2 with no breaths, took 1 breath on #3)

Kick Set:
    10 x 75/2:00 very strong
    (alternated 2 free w/board, 2 on back with 6-8 sdk off each wall, times were 1:25-1:30 on free and 1:30-33 on back)

Warm down 200
    Total: 2750 meters

Updated July 4th, 2010 at 01:53 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Wed Jun 30th 2010

by , June 30th, 2010 at 12:07 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Jun 30th 2010

watched UT men train LCM for a bit after today's practice, they did 4 100's descend from a push, sprinters did 3, dist did 4 x 200
    1st on 4:00 go 10 apart
    2nd on 5:00 go 10 apart
    3rd on 6:00 go one at a time
    4th on 6:00 go one at a time
    Saw Fiegen push 52, Piersol went 55 on #3, klueh went 1:56 on #3
    didn't watch the 4th round

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

scy
    whitney Coached
    6:30 to 8:00
    Austin UT Swim Center main pool
    swam with tyler, marcio, doug, chris, mike, nate, Tenielle & Ritchie
    wore b 70 jammer
    dove in FIRST

WARM UP
    800 done 75 fr 25 k on bk

MAIN SET

2 rounds of
    4 x (25 fl, 50 bk, 75 br, 100 fr)
    8 x 50 on 40
    500 fr 1 breath every 4th length
    take a break & regroup

10 x 75 on 1:10
    odds k
    evens 2nd 25 is FAST

50 easy

2010 MEETS:

July 8 - 11, 2010
    Senior Circuit #4 Meet Info
    Austin, TX
    entered:
    Fri
    8 50 Freestyle,
    Sat
    20 100 Butterfly,
    22 50 backstroke,
    Sun
    28 200 Individual Medley
    50 breastroke, &
    50 butterfly

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    2010 South Central Long Course
    Southlake, Texas
    Days till LCM ZONES
    Entered Zones yesterday & got my hotel
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Master of the House

by , June 30th, 2010 at 10:13 AM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    Yesterday I realized I wrote my whole blog post about Middlebury without the mention of someone really important: Coach Ron. There's one reason I've gone from a workout swimmer to a competitive swimmer, and it's because of his encouragement. And it's because of his coaching that I've been shaving crazy times off my swims.

As someone who grew up participating in little to no sports (although I was in the marching band, in the color guard, which earned me a varsity letter, damnit!) I've never had the experience of working with a coach. There have been theatre directors, bosses, and other mentors, but I've never had someone who pushes and inspires me like Coach does. Whenever I pull myself out of the pool after an amazing swim, he's always right there in my face telling me that my elbows weren't high enough, or that I was dropping my hips, or not streamlining my turns. He never lets me get away with anything, but he still never fails to throw me a bone by presenting me with all my 3rd place ribbons. (And a couple of 2nd's!)

We get a pretty good deal here, swimming in Poughkeepsie like we do, and I just wanted to publicly state how grateful I am. I also thanked him by playing the soundtrack to "Les Mis" on Tuesday morning, which I understand is one of his favorites, although a somewhat questionable choice for workout music. However, on Tuesday morning I was so tired after the meet and loss of sleep, I don't think I could have pulled off much more than the 1900 yards I muddled through, no matter what was playing over the speakers.

Anyhoo, thanks Coach!

Updated June 30th, 2010 at 10:22 AM by swimmerb212

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. A good morning to swim

by , June 30th, 2010 at 08:29 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Felt good this morning for workout

400 Free
    300 Free w/paddles & bouy
    200 Free
    100 Free w/board kick
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 FAST
    5x100@:05R Back kick drills w/fins mix it up
    10x100@1:45 as 50 Free/50 Back w/paddles
    5x100@2:15 Free w/snorkle only as 25 kick streamline, 75 swim easy good stroke and rotation

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. June 29th at the 'sol

by , June 30th, 2010 at 12:41 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol

Warm
    2x100FR 200IM Drill 100BR K, 100BK K, 3x150FR w/snorkel, paddles and kick with buoy.
    Set-
    9x200IM
    1-3 Kick/swim each stroke
    4-6 Drill/Swim
    7-9 Swim on 4:00
    Kick-
    10x100K with fins and board alt Fly/FR on 1:45

2x50 Sprint BR/IM
    100cool

Got videoed today, worse time for it since I was hammered from yesterdays heavy FR & BK sprints and the weekend of cutting and stacking oak wood.
    However being tired exposed my flaws. My fly needs more kick into the recovery... my arms just kinda hang in the air behind my back. My backstroke reviles my right arm doing a little S-maneuver in the air on the recovery and my free has this glitch where I stall my arm's on the recovery. Stuff my coach has been telling and yelling all this time and there it is on video...Ill have to get it on my notebook so I can post it.
    2 weeks till the last USA LCM meet, I'm entered in the 50m FR and 100m Back, everyone keeps harping on me to do the first event, the 200IM, I can do it, but I just don't want to turn in a slow time (est. around 3:00) but even the seniors coach sez just swim it. So I may deck enter it.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Sitting pretty, 2 fathoms deep

Today I went over to the Asphalt Green noon workout. I got there a little early so I could work on my bobbing and sinking during warmup (more about that below). By the time we got started, I did feel pretty relaxed and more focused on how I was interacting with the water. Here’s how the workout went:

500 scy warmup

400, done as 4 x (75 FR + 25 ST), decreasing SPL by 1 on each 25 of the 75s, and IM order on the ST [I started out my first 25 with 14 strokes, which made the 3rd one pretty difficult, but I kicked a managed to get down to 12. My stroke count was 14-17 on the others.]

4 x 100 flutter kick, done as 25 on stomach w/ hands by side, focusing on balance, 25 right side, 25 left side, 25 on back

4 x 75, odds = FR @ 2:10, evens = IM @ 2:20

4 x 350 @ 5:20 [I did these as (25FR / 25 BK / 50 FR / 50 BK / 75 FR / 75 BK / 50 FR). I had 2 focuses on the FR: (1) putting my face back into the water sooner after each breath, and (2) relaxing my arms on the recovery part of the stroke. I just cranked the BK, and used it as a break from the concentration the FR work was requiring.

100 warmdown, plus more bobbing and sinking play

The bobbing and sinking stuff I was doing was a result of the clinic I did with Bill Boomer at the Middlebury meet. We got a ton of information during the clinic, which was held in 4 sessions on Thursday afternoon and evening and Friday morning and afternoon.

One of his overarching concerns is understanding and dealing with one’s primal responses to being in an aquatic environment. He talked a bit about three layers of human brains—the reptilian part, which is responsible for instinctual survival behaviors, the limbic system, which handles in-the-moment emotions and hormonal responses, and the cortex, which specializes in conscious thought—and emphasized that you have to expose swimmers to new stimuli multiple times in low-stress situations in order to convince the reptilian brain those situations are ok. Otherwise, swimmers go into instinctual survival-mode behaviors that they cannot control or consciously change.

For me, one of those survival-mode behaviors is holding my breath (or at least holding on to some of it) when I’m in the water. In one of the clinic’s pool sessions we did bobbing drills where we assumed an upright position in the water with our mouths right above the water line, exhaled, then sank to the bottom with our arms by our sides. At first I couldn’t stop myself from inhaling right before I went under the water (which then made me too buoyant to sink without some other motion propelling me downward). When I got beyond that, I couldn’t exhale enough air to actually sink very far. I am finally getting the hang of letting go of all my air and sinking all the way to the bottom of the pool. Once there, I either push off the bottom to bob back up and do it again, or I sit on the bottom for a few moments and look around. The latter feels weirdly calming and euphoric at the same time, and is a totally new experience for me.

Another breathing exercise we did at the clinic is called “alligator breathing.” You open your mouth wide, immerse your mouth partway into the water while keeping your head upright, and breathe in and out while water remains in your mouth. The rationale behind this is that if you swim, you need to be comfortable breathing with water in your mouth, and doing that behavior when you’re not moving through the water and exerting yourself is a low-stress way of getting your reptile brain to accept it as ok. (I had actually read about this breathing before—it’s described in Natalie Coughlin’s book as something the Cal team did during their rest intervals.) My heart rate skyrocketed when I first did this—I could tell I was getting panicky, and had to stop a few times to take “real” breaths. Now I only feel uncomfortable when I do it. (Also a little grossed out, since it seems terribly unsanitary to have a laneful of folks allowing pool water to slosh in and out of their mouths, but then I’m a big germophobe).

This evening I went to rowing class. The dismaying news on the rowing front is that my Y is closing our rowing room and eliminating the rowing classes, at least for the summer. They might put some of the rowing machines in a yet-to-be-determined location, but even that is not certain. Everyone was up in arms about this, and there was a meeting after class to discuss a response (the consensus: asking for a meeting with management to discuss the situation, and presenting some ideas to either increase utilization of the present space or move the rowing classes to another locale.)

Hopefully this will work out in the long term—the rowing room and classes at my Y are a distinctive feature that they should be building up, not eliminating—but in the short term it could well disrupt my cross-training plans for the summer. Meetings like tonight’s do really drain and upset me (although this was actually a pretty calm and well reasoned discussion, with much consensus and limited venting), but I am ultimately glad I went, because it’s something I do care about and want to help fix.

Finally, I entered the July 11 Wilton Y meet today—I signed up for the 100 FR, 400 FR, 200 IM, 50 BK, and 50 FL. This is always a really fun outdoor meet, with a nice bbq after. I’m looking forward to it!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Tuesday, June 29

by , June 29th, 2010 at 10:57 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the indoor Y pool at lunch today. Water was nice and cool, but air was hot! I nearly fainted when I got out of the pool after my workout. This could have had more to do with the fact that I had a pretty light breakfast. At lunch today, I got on the scale and saw that I had lost 4 pounds in just a matter of a few days. Now that I've lost the 4, I really don't want to lose anymore weight. I wouldn't mind dropping some fat and keeping the muscle, but if I lose another 5 pounds, I think I'll be losing some good muscle. I probably need to be sure that I'm eating enough now that I'm doing this tri stuff. Probably won't be hard to do as I enjoy making blackberry cobbler during the summer. I've already made two this week (one for us and one for a neighbor). Just pulled one out from the oven and there are still blackberries left to ripen and be picked.

Here is the workout I did today:

Warm-up: 200 swim, 100 kick, 100 swim

300, 200, 100 pull with buoy and paddles - 30 seconds rest between each

2 x 200 free on 2:50

4 x 100 free on 1:30 - descend

2 x 200 free on 2:50

4 x 100 free descend on 1:30

100 easy

2700 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout - 07/01/10

by , June 29th, 2010 at 08:18 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

WARM UP:
    6 X 100 Free 1:45
    5 X 100 Kick 2:30
    4 X 100 Stroke 2:30

SCY

8 X 100 Free 1:30
    Moderate even pace on first 4; Descend 5-8

3X{4 X 50 1:15
    Each set: 3 stroke/1 easy free

8 X 25
    odd: From a push, build to race finish
    even: From the blocks, sprint 20 and coast in.
    No interval; go on coach

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

Updated June 29th, 2010 at 08:23 PM by RickMile

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout - 06/30/10

by , June 29th, 2010 at 07:41 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    Warmup:
    4 x 100 1:45
    4 x 150 2:30
    1 x 400

5 x 100 Kick 2:30

12 x 50 1:15
    (Odds: Free; Evens: Stroke)

4 x 150 3:00
    #1 Free
    #2 50 Stroke/100 Free
    #3 100 Stroke/50 Free
    #4 150 Stroke

4 x [100 Moderate 2:00]
    50@ 100% 1:30
    *Choice*

Cool Down: 4 x 50

Updated June 29th, 2010 at 08:23 PM by RickMile

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. 1500 Splits

If you read my original post, my splits are a fairly close to my guesstimates, but I was a little slower during the body of the race and picked it up more than I expected.

Split Total
    01:19.17 1:19.17
    01:26.56 2:45.73
    01:27.15 4:12.88
    01:27.33 5:40.21
    01:27.05 7:07.26
    01:27.01 8:34.27
    01:26.97 10:01.24
    01:26.12 11:27.36
    01:27.11 12:54.47
    01:27.60 14:22.07
    01:25.90 15:47.97
    01:24.71 17:12.68
    01:24.94 18:37.62
    01:23.57 20:01.19
    01:15.01 21:16.20
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Monday and Tuesday, 6/28-29/10

by , June 29th, 2010 at 03:20 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Monday -
    Today's swim was a total fail. I was mentally and physically exhausted from spending the weekend officiating a kids meet.

I did about 1000 meters mix of free and back and got out.

Tuesday -
    Much better today!

Warm – up
    300 Swim
    200 Skill Drills
    (back - did the cup drill and catchup drill my coach showed me and drills from the Richard Quick backstroke video)
    4 x 100/1:50 Build
    (averaged 1:30 on these)

BACK
    Kick 4 x 200 back/15sr
    Build each to strong with fins
    (with zoomers, averaged 3:20 on these)

20 x 25 Back/40 No Fins
    Fast kickout- breakout swim
    (Did these with 8-10 SDK then 4-6 very fast strokes. was averaging 22-23 on these)

12 x 50 desc each set of 4
    4/1:10, 4/1:05, 4/1:00
    (even though I increased effort on these I didn't see much of a time drop on each set of 4. only about 2 sec drop in each round
    round 1 was 46->44, 2 was 48->46, 3 was 50->49)

Free Warm down
    100 easy

Total: 2900 meters

Updated June 29th, 2010 at 05:57 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Tue Jun 29th 2010

by , June 29th, 2010 at 01:16 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue Jun 29th 2010

Today was a recovery practice

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

LCM
    whitney Coached
    6:30 to 8:00
    Austin UT Swim Center main pool
    swam with larry, Brad, Sharon & Mary
    wore b 70 jammer
    dove in around 6:35

WARM UP
    700 mix also kicked a 200 fl in 3:02