View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. 6/28/10 workout

I did not swim over the weekend because of my sons baseball tournament over the weekend. I always feel like a slug in the water when Im out of it for two days or more so I did a somewhat light workout to just get the feel back.

25yard pool

Warmup
    500 whatever
    10x50's @ 50 drill/swim

Main Sets
    5x200 @3:00 kick fins, alternate 50s kick fly on back, kick free

5x200 IM @ 2:45

10x50's @ 40 odds free, evens fly

5x200 pull @ 2:30 decend

Warmdown
    6x50's @ 1:00 with snorkle

4,800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Self Portrait as Flayed Man

by , June 28th, 2010 at 05:57 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)

For those you of a religious bent who are interested in exploring more deeply the long entrenched history of anti-body hair sentiment by God himself, I highly recommend you check out my gentile twin brother's attempted midrash, or n., pl., Mid·rash·im (mĭd-rô'shĭm, mĭd'rä-shēm'), on the subject.

A midrash is, of course, any of a group of Jewish commentaries on the Hebrew Scriptures compiled between A.D. 400 and 1200 and based on exegesis, parable, and haggadic legend.

In John's midrash (pictorial excerpt to whet your appetite for more,), he ironically used the two of us as stand-ins for Esau and Jacob. I am not sure why, but he made me Esau even though 1) John is actually the firstborn, not Jim, and 2) my relatively much more common immersions into vats of chlorine have actually left me significatnly less hairy (and thus presumably more favored by God) than John, though I must say, if I were God, I would favor him, too, regardless of our relative states of hairiness.

To find the complete midrash, with its surprising insights into antiquated Biblical nonsense still taken very seriously by those who have never actually read this part of the Bible, please check out this link: http://www.jrtart.com/bsd/smooth3.html
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. DOUBLE Mon Jun 28th 2010

by , June 28th, 2010 at 05:54 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    DOUBLE Mon Jun 28th 2010

My buddy jon had a motorcycle accident after practice on Sat morning, a truck pulled out in front of him.

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

LCM
    whitney Coached
    noon to 1:15
    Austin UT Swim Center main pool & diving well
    swam with james, besmir, ned & steve,
    wore b 70 jammer
    dove in around 12:05

WARM UP
    did around 800

MAIN SET

20 X 50 on 1:00
    odds easy dps
    evens fast 200 pace
    held mostly 25's, a few 26's & 24 on the last, all from a push

50 easy

16 x 50 on 1:00 (with fins but i didn't wear fins)
    odds easy k
    evens BR 100 pace
    held 33's & 4s

50 easy

assigned: 6 x 150 on 2:15
    odds fast aerobic
    evens breath control

DID: 6 x ___ on 2:15
    odds fr desc
    evens easy 50
    went 1:35, 1:30, 1:28

easy

2010 MEETS:

July 8 - 11, 2010
    Senior Circuit #4 Meet Info
    Austin, TX
    entered:
    Fri
    8 50 Freestyle,
    Sat
    20 100 Butterfly,
    22 50 backstroke,
    Sun
    28 200 Individual Medley
    50 breastroke, &
    50 butterfly

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    2010 South Central Long Course
    Southlake, Texas
    Days till LCM ZONES
    Entered Zones yesterday & got my hotel
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -06/29/10

by , June 28th, 2010 at 03:08 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    4 X 100 2:00
    1 X 400 6:30
    3 X 100 1:45
    1 X 300 4:45
    2 X 100 1:40
    1 X 200 -

SCY
    1 X 200 kick 4:30
    3 X 100 kick 2:15

3 X 100 stroke 2:00
    1 X 100 easy free 2:00
    Three times through.
    Choice, no IM

4 X 75 2:00
    50 at 100%/25 easy
    Choice

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4000 M/Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Where the @#*& is the @#$8#@$* Wall?!?!

Its not often I swear underwater. Usually its caused by an annoyance in my lane or a severe pain in my body. I usually reserve my energy for swimming - its an intelligent thing in my opinion.
    This weekend was almost an exception to that rule. That 50 Free in an LCM pool nearly killed me.... but we'll get to that later because right now its time for the

POST MEETS POST MORTEM

The Park Ridge 1500 @ the Oakton Pool in Park Ridge IL
    Results

The PR 1500 was a fun race for me actually. I had never honestly swam more than 1000 straight in practice and so my first and foremost thought was "I just need to survive the race" I had done a 20x100 in practice this week - and survived rather well. During the race - I found myself pacing it like a 3x500. The first 500 was a warmup, the second 500 I focused on my form and technique, trying to keep a strong kick and keep going. The final 500 was focused solely on build up; I wanted to make each 100 faster than the 100 before it leaving the final 100 for a sprint to the finish with 0% energy left.

Quick Anecdote: During the race on my first flip turn - I saw the number on the wall - and for some reason I was mesmerized by it, and ended up jamming into the wall on my flip turn. The rest of the meet - I avoided looking at the number so as to prevent that problem.

Well - I finished my race @ 29.32! A PERSONAL RECORD! Hysterically enough - even with my build up and everything - my teammate Jamie told me that my pace was pretty much RIGHT ON 1:59 for all 15 laps (no more than a second or two deviation). So all of that "build up" I did was really just a correction to keep me from going slower. My final "sprint" was on 1:54. So much for extra energy output.

I won my age group though! Out of no one else

Goals for meet:
    • Maintain a consistent pace with no more than a 3-4 second deviation between any two laps.
      DONE AND DONE
    • Keep my *average* split time under 1:50.
      Nope. Going to have to work on that speed thing.
    • Finish the race strong, even with nothing left in my body.
      DONE!
    • Dolphin kick off the wall at least 80% of the time.
      YES! I was very proud of that - I can count only twice off the wall that I didn't dolphin kick and that comes out to 86.67% dolphin off the wall!

Things to improve for next time:
    • I need to bring my average time down. This 1:59 thing won't do for me. I know I just need to build up in the pool with more swimming. These sorts of things come with time.
    • I need to focus on my sprints at the end of the race. I'm pretty sure that I probably could've pulled more out of the tank had I pushed a little harder earlier. I wasn't really feeling tired until the last 2-300 anyway.

The Badger State Games @ Erb Park Pool in Appleton Wi
    Results

In this meet I swam the 50 Free, the 50 Back, the 100 Free and I jumped in in an ad-hoc relay (the 4x100 free relay). It was a fun meet- but being there alone kind of sucked. I did make some fun friends though!

The 50 Free
    The 50 Free was my first race - and actually the most brutal of the races I did that day. I took my time to warm up. Was pretty relaxed and feeling really good when I got on the blocks. My dive was so-so, I totally forgot to dolphin kick. I was doing really well too until I hit about the 40 meter mark. Then all of a sudden everything started to cut out. I had 0 energy, was totally exhausted and running out of O2. I ended the race on 39 seconds.

The 50 Back
    I got out of my swim down from the 50 free and I take a peak at the heat sheet. I have 2 minutes until my 50 back! Aye Dios Mio!! So I shake it all off, sip some gatorade and get down to the blocks. Time to rock and roll! I've never started the back stroke nor have I ever finished the back stroke. So it was an experience. I did get in and swim a 50 back "quickly" to get a feel for it. During the entire race I kept focusing on "floppy floppy ankles" and relaxing the arms as long as they were out of the water. I got through that race in 53 seconds.

The 100 Free
    This was a rough rough race. I got done with my 50 back, discovered I only had 3 heats of 50 back before I had to swim the 100 free! So I got a sip of gatorade and started shaking my body around. Had to knock off that lactic acid build up asap. I got on the blocks and dove in. I must not have tucked my chin right because my goggles came off. DOH! I swam as hard as I could, but I was freaking out a little mentally. I was having a hard time breathing and I knew form was collapsing. I went into the wall and did my push off with my eyes completely closed. I came up and kept swimming as hard as I could, running out of breath because I was still in a mental panic. I hit the wall at 1:39 - I was extremely disappointed in that time. I nearly threw up after this event. My stomach was so tight I could barely breath!

The Ad-hoc 4x100 Free Relay
    I had about 8 more heats of 100 free after me. So I was able to get a little bit of rest and relaxation before having to dive in again. I was the 2nd swimmer in the relay, and this time - I was going to make sure those goggles were not coming off. I'm partially convinced that I was cutting off circulation to my brain during that race, but I honestly didn't care. I think I swam really really well. I remember looking up at my second split being 40 seconds. If my first split was anything less- that means I did a sub 1:20 on my 100, which for me is AMAZING! I put my relay behind - but fortunately our anchor was pretty fast! He came from behind and won the race! Yay Strangers! Seriously though - Ad-Hoc relays rock the house.

Goals for meet:
    • Under 35 in the 50 Free (its LCM, a whole new beast for me)
      Nope. I have another chance next weekend though. I think I can shave that time off by more intelligent pacing.
    • Under 1:30 for the 100 Free
      If I'm not freaking out about my goggles - yes I can do this next weekend. This weekend I did not.
    • Under 45 for the 50 Back
      I definitely did NOT get anywhere close to that. I'm also not sure if I can pull it off. We'll have to see!
    • Dolphin kick off the wall for my ONE turn.
      Nope. Did not do it on the relay either. I'm going to focus pretty hard on that one over this week and for the next meet.
    • Dolphin kick after my start for the back.
      I totally did not. I will be focusing on that this week as well during practice.
    • Don't screw up my Back start.
      I'm pretty sure I didn't do it "right" but it wasn't awful. I at least made it to the flags before coming up!

Things to improve for next time:
    • I need to focus on endurance for those last 10-15 meters. I need to remember that I can breath when I'm done and honestly - O2 deprivation is fine in the short term. I need to have better times next week.
    • I need to remember to dolphin kick off the wall... One of the things I'm realizing in this 50 meter pool - since I don't have my flip turns and pushing off the wall I need to get as far as I can off my dive as possible so I can spend as minimal amount time swimming as possible so I can have the energy to sprint with with my arms and kick like crazy when I'm not able to glide.

Sorry for the long post. I'm down for any thoughts or suggestions any of you have!

See all of you (or none of you) next weekend at the Indy Swim Fit at the UofI Pool!!!

Updated July 7th, 2010 at 03:44 PM by bzaks1424 (Jon: post MORTEM Mike MORTEM)

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  6. Mon Jun 28th 2010

by , June 28th, 2010 at 12:29 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Jun 28th 2010

weighed 217

My buddy jon had a motorcycle accident after practice on Sat morning, a truck pulled out in front of him.

Rebecca Soni trained with UT Men this morning

LCM
    whitney Coached
    6:30 to 8:00
    Austin UT Swim Center main pool & diving well
    swam with todd, paul, nate, doug, larry, & Tyler
    wore b 70 jammer
    dove in around 6:40

WARM UP
    did around 600 or 700

MAIN SET

20 X 50 on 1:00
    odds easy dps
    evens fast 200 pace
    held 30 & 31, a few 29's & 28 on last

16 x 50 on 1:00 (with fins but i didn't wear fins)
    odds easy k
    evens 100 pace

assigned: 10 x 150 on 2:15
    odds fast aerobic
    evens breath control

DID: 10 x ___ on 2:15
    odds fr desc
    evens easy 100
    went 1:34, 1:31, 1:30, 1:27, 1:24

easy

2010 MEETS:

July 8 - 11, 2010
    Austin, TX
    entered:
    Fri
    8 50 Freestyle,
    Sat
    20 100 Butterfly,
    22 50 backstroke,
    Sun
    28 200 Individual Medley
    50 breastroke, &
    50 butterfly

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    Southlake, Texas
    Days till LCM ZONES
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. New England LCM Championship Wrap-up

by , June 28th, 2010 at 12:19 PM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    I just spent the last three days swimming, swimming, swimming, and camping. I can't say enough how much I love the Middlebury meet. The Middlebury Muffintops have consistently (at least the past 3 years that I have been to it) put on a class-act swim meet in a beautiful, airy facility.

I made a 3.5-hour drive music mix of my most upbeat songs, and the best was the overture from the Star Wars Soundtrack. Made me think of Storm Troopers swimming. Thank goodness someone on the internet already posted this picture so I didn't have to re-create it:

The swims went thusly:

Friday:
    1500 (25:39.71) My goal, going into the day, was to swim this as 3 500's. I really thought I would average a :45 for each 50, but that's just not something I can maintain for that much distance. After the first 100, I treated the swim more like a warm-up, and decided to alternate-side breathe on the way down and right-side breathe on the way back. That helped to slow me down to a crawl-like pace, much to the dismay of my counter.
    The theme of the first 500 was "I have a cramp in my foot."
    Second 500 was "Is that pain I'm feeling in my shoulder? Maybe I should try to stop crossing my arms over so much."
    Last 500 was "The faster I finish this, the sooner I can eat."

Saturday:
    Started the day with the 400. Swam it in 6:20.13. Before you think that's not the most amazing thing you've heard all day, I will say here that I swam it in 6:33 last year, and 7:20 in 2008.
    Also: 50 Free 36.78
    100 Free 1:23.76
    200 Breast 4:01.38
    100 Free - anchored the Women's Medley Relay
    A good day, but nothing beat the feeling at the finish of that 400. Until...

Sunday:
    50 Breast 52.19
    200 Free 2:57.00
    200 IM 3:43.82
    I was just stoked to finish the 200 IM alive, having a better time than I anticipated and winning my heat was icing on the cake.
    But it was the 200 free that was the highlight of the weekend for me. It felt like a simply perfect swim. I went out fast, had a great turn, slowed myself a little for the middle, and came back for the last 50 just a hair slower than I went out. Also, I successfully spotted the woman to my left and the woman to my right and decided they were the ones to beat. I rarely know what's going on in the pool outside my lane, but this time I paid attention, and they motivated me to go faster, and it paid off as I won my heat.

And speaking of the other women at the meet, there's something in the air at Middlebury, and I think it makes everyone really friendly. I chatted with all these great gals as we waited at the blocks, navigated the locker room, and meeted and greeted at the Saturday Social. One of the highlights was when I heard a new friend (Janet, the Swimsuit Addict), a non-FISH member, cheering for me during a race. (There were some nice guys there, too, I suppose.)

Some other stuff:
    • *Having Bill Boomer on deck after his clinic and Rowdy Gaines swimming the 50 and the 100 and speaking at Saturday's dinner gave a gravitas to what we were doing, we were part of something bigger than just this meet, part of this movement of swimming. Also, I got a little star-struck and briefly had a silly conversation with Rowdy as we both stood in the shallow end of the warm-down pool, and I bragged about my 400 and my teammate in his heat.
    • *Overheard: "I think there's fewer people here this year because of the suits." Do you think fewer people are going to meets because they don't want to swim without the tech? I'm not sure. Could explain some, I suppose, but there's a myriad of reasons that people don't go to meets.
    • *Overheard: "I just had to tear all the dots off the top of my suit because they're not legal anymore. 'Cause water was just flying off them!"
    • *Overheard: "Turns out that this stretched-out suit from 2005 isn't legal anymore because it zips up in back. I guess I'm wearing my warm-up suit for the rest of the meet."
    • *I wore a grab-bag suit I just got in the mail last week. It was bright red, more loud than I would go if I had a choice, and probably one size too big. I wore my older black suit Saturday afternoon, when I had my worst swims. I wonder what difference it would make if I actually spent money for something more technical, perhaps I'll do that when my age catches up with my getting faster due to good practice.
    • *If I keep getting faster, I might actually start competing in heats with other 30-somethings.
    • *Our men's relay set the meet record for the 400 Free. I like to think it was because of my cheering. Overall, the FISH Masters came in 3rd place, thanks to a core group of 10 swimmers. Go team!
    • *We did the camping thing on Friday and Saturday to save money and time. (Expensive hotel in town, cheap hotels are 45 minutes away.) Next time I do that, I can't have an air mattress that deflates in the middle of the night like mine does. I was so bleary-eyed on Sunday morning that someone asked me if I had been crying.
    • *Practice today hurt a little. There was no workout on the board, so we did a 100-500 plateau pyramid. (Did 2 500's in a row.) I was feeling frisky, so I wasn't going to let anyone else lead the lane, but there was more than one occasion where I wanted to pull over and stretch at the wall instead of swim and I swam it anyway.
    • *That's it for meets until next fall! Time to set a new goal so I can keep eating whatever I want! And finally...
    *I LOVE SWIMMING.

Updated June 28th, 2010 at 05:10 PM by swimmerb212 (I should have made that last line more clear.)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Middlebury meet day 3

I came to the pool Sunday morning determined to get out of my negative splitting rut. I wanted to be braver in taking out my races. Here’s how things went:

200 Back: 2:55.67 (41.53, 44.24, 45.51, 44.39)
    I swam this race just like I wanted to—tempo was good throughout, I took it out at a decent pace, and brought it back fairly strong. A couple of times on the last 100 I let my head drop back a little too far, which makes me lose some water on the arm pulls, but I was able to tell what was happening and correct that.
    Before I swim lcm backstroke races, I always like to pick out a few visual “landmarks” that will allow me to know where in the length I am—the pool can seem awfully long when there’s no way of marking your progress. I forgot to do that before my 100 the previous day, but remembered today (Middlebury has different colored banners from the schools in their conference strung along one wall that served quite well). I don’t think that knowing where in the length I am changes my race strategy or makes a huge difference in how I’m swimming, but it does increase my comfort in the water.

100 Fly: 1:24.68 (40.45, 44.23)
    This race was good from a pacing point of view, but I do really need to work on my fly technique—it’s by far the weakest of my strokes, and that’s really apparent in long course. I got some good feedback both from Boomer and from Coach Craig (funny how they zeroed in on the same things) about my head position, the timing of my breathing, and the shape of the pulldown, so I was really happy about that. I think it’s also the first time I’ve swum this event lcm, so my time’s an automatic PR.

200 Free: 2:38.04 (37.26, 40.30, 39.77, 40.71)
    Going into this race, my goal was to focus on the 3rd 50 of my race, and swim it as strongly as I could. (I figured if I then ended up dying on the final length, it would at least be an honorable death—I had spent the previous day having too much left at the end of my races.) I executed the race just like I’d planned. I’ve swum faster 200s, but this was the best one I had in me today, so it’s good to have a true gauge of that. It does seem perverse to bring home my 400 IM (1:19.92) faster than my 200 FR (1:20.48).

100 Breast: 1:34.07 (44.79, 49.28)
    I was actually feeling sad before this race to be swimming my last event—it was that great a meet. My key was to go out strong on the first 50 and then keep my technique together on the 2nd. I dove in, took 2 long strokes with significant glide, then remembered that I was supposed to be pushing the pace. From then on, I was happy with how I swam the race, and surprised that my splits were as close as they were—judging by how the last 50 felt, I was guessing there would be more like a 6 or 7 seven difference.

All considered, I felt like my race execution was quite good at this meet. To the extent that I didn’t get all I could out of my body in some of my races, it was more a matter of not finding the proper race strategy, mostly because I was underestimating my conditioning during the first part of the meet. I also think that setting one of my goals as swimming all the events this summer encouraged me on some level to approach my 200s FL and BR and 400 IM with the idea that “getting through” the race was enough..

I can’t say enough great things about the folks at Middlebury who put on this meet. I’ve been doing masters swimming since the early 90s, and this was really one of the best and friendliest meet experiences I’ve had (and I’ve swum at a number of IGLA meets, which also tend to be very joyful and friendly events). The Muffintops ran the meet with a laid-back efficiency (with occasional touches of whimsy) that made everything feel fun and easy.

It was also great to have some Asphalt Green teammates and a coach at the meet. Craig gave me great feedback after each swim, and now I’m really excited about getting back in the water and working on making my strokes better. Plus, he videotaped a number of my races—if anyone is interested they can see them (and hear his commentary on some of them). Comments definitely welcome!

100 Back (I’m in the 3rd lane from the top, in the white cap): [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDxDAKJKfgk"]YouTube- Middlebury LCM 2010[/nomedia]

100 Breast (4th lane from the bottom, or 5th from top, in white cap): [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8egB5T_2lTg"]YouTube- Middlebury LCM 2010[/nomedia]

200 Free (in lane 5, with lane 1 at the bottom): [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqB8xJ_eZc4"]YouTube- Middlebury LCM 2010[/nomedia]

400 IM (I'm in the far lane in this one, and you can't tell much about my strokes): [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWvhoX-cb4s"]YouTube- Middlebury LCM 2010[/nomedia]

In some ways this meet was a real relief to swim at after my experiences at nationals. There was such a feeling of plenty here—plenty of warmup space, deck space, time in each day, lockers, parking, etc. I felt like I could just show up each day and do what I needed to do to swim my best without having to plan everything around the logistics of dealing with crowded conditions and tense situations. At the same time, Atlanta had such great energy and excitement to it, and I wouldn’t have wanted to miss that for anything. I think it’s neat that as masters we have a range of meet experiences to choose from, and I feel that after all these years I’m still improving in my ability to figure out what to expect at any particular meet, anticipate what my main challenges will be in setting up myself to swim well, and strategize how to best deal with those challenges.

I was really glad that I got to chat with a couple of other USMS bloggers at this meet. Swimmerb212 had some impressive time drops in her 400 FR and 200 IM. Her team, the FISH, had an overall strong showing, and beat out my team for second place among non-NE LMSC squads. Gigi also had a number of strong swims. She not only emerged from the meet as New England champion in several events, but it looks like she captured a meet record along the way.. Kudos to both on their meets!

My final observation is that swimming in the NE LMSC seems like a really good deal. They have 3 wonderful championship meets every year, with lots of spirited intra-LSMC competition between workout groups, plus they get to combine forces for relays at out-of-LMSC meets. (My LMSC was once set up this way, but we never really had the camaraderie of NE and were often too disorganized to take full advantage of the relay thing.) Many of the NE workout groups have fun names and/or mascots and lots of cool gear. (The Penguins had a giant plush penguin dressed up and stationed in their team area; I petted it for good luck every time I passed by.) I think a lot of the great NE spirit can be attributed to the efforts and attitudes of many extraordinary swimmers and coaches in their LMSC. But to the extent that their structure as a regional team contributes to their success, I think it is something that USMS should be encouraging (or at least enthusiastically allowing). In many ways, the NE LSMC is masters swimming at its best.
  9. Just going thru the motions I think

by , June 28th, 2010 at 08:24 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I did not have much energy today so it seemed like I just had a "go thru the motions" kind of day.

5x200@3:45 Free
    5x100@2:00 Fly kick on back w/fins
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    3x[100@1:45 Free w/paddles & bouy
    .....[200@3:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    400 Free w/paddles & bouy for time 5:53
    200 Free EASY

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Sunday run

by , June 28th, 2010 at 01:10 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the golf course for a 55 minute run this morning. I started my run just 15 minutes before the course opened to the golfers, but fortunately they really didn't start showing up until around 8:30. It was a little humid, so really glad the course had a water break stop I could hit up on.

I have no idea how far I ran, but am guessing somewhere around 5.5 miles as I felt like I was moving along pretty slow at about 10 minute per mile pace. Our neighbor was sitting out in the backyard this evening and said that I looked tired. This endurance stuff is tough on a lazy ol' sprinter like myself.

Updated June 28th, 2010 at 02:09 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Pool-Mate 1st Review

by , June 27th, 2010 at 10:40 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Swam with the Sharks today LCM

2 More teammates swam the 5k postal today.
    OUCH!!!!
    Way to go Kris, and Evan
    I'm gonna miss you Evan. You are inspirational!!!

I got to try out my new Pool-Mate watch my
    wife got me for my birthday.

Watch setup was fairly easy
    Enter Pool Length, Weight, Left or Right arm

Hit start as you push off. I would like a 5 second delay
    like my old Speedo Competion, But oh well.

I swam a 200, hit start again, It had everything right. Sweet!!
    And it started counting how much rest I was taking
    while i was trying to figure out how to see what I just did.
    All I had to do was push the UP/DOWN buttons
    to cycle through everything. Once again Sweet!!

we then swam
    10 x 100's on 1:45
    This is my 1st long course swim in years.
    I sure missed the turn at 13 or 14 strokes.

I managed to swim around 1:30 on all of them
    with a 1:25 for the last one.

Now reviewing a set is a whole different ballgame.
    I'm what one would consider an advanced geek and this part was a little
    daunting. Of course I'll admit I hate reading manuals.

I managed to accidentally erase a log of swims, but not the 10 x 100 set.

So I just decided to record every other swim and check it later.

After figuring out how to recall swims (I should have Read The Manual)
    I was amazed at how well this watch actually works. Laps, Stroke counts all right on.

I'll be testing in a SCY pool monday or tues so we will
    see how well it works there.

Here is the info it Displays
    Time, Laps, Strokes, Distance, Calories Burned, Efficiency, Speed

The efficiency is based on Swimming Golf.
    Some sort of formula based on Stroke Count and Time to swim the distance.
    The speed was a number like 88, which after (RTM)
    I discovered was the number of seconds to average 100 meters since I was in meter mode.

I had a efficiency rating of 31-35
    the manual says
    less than 30 Excellent-Professional Athlete
    30-40 Very Good
    40-50 Above Average
    50-70 Average

Now I have to try and beat 31!!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. DAM LCM Meet Day 2: The 1500

If you don't care about my 1500, skip to the WTF moment at the end. Real life comedy.

The meet
    : It was a challenge to force myself out of bed this morning. 7am warm up is not all that early for me, but a couple more hours of sleep would have been nice.

Did 200 to loosen up, then a few 100s on 2:00 to figure out where I wanted my pace today. 1:26 was comfortable so that is what I wanted to go out in. By the end of warm up I was feeling decent. The first 50 was uncomfortable

This year I didn't have Bobby on my right, I had Eney Jones. I reminded myself that her pace was about 14 seconds faster than mine according to the entry times.

The race went about how you would expect, swim swim swim swim swim ... swim swim flip turn, repeat. There was a STRONG couple of jets that pushed me quite hard into the lane line, and the first couple laps I fought to stay in the middle of the lane. After about 200 of this nonsense I realized I should just swim as far from the jets as I can. I was in lane 2 and a little old lady was getting blown around in lane 1.

About the last 500 I picked up the pace and at the 100 started kicking The timer said my splits were very consistent. Based on his expert opinion and my time, I imagine I went out a little slow with 27s before settling into 26s early to mid race and holding that until the last 500 when it probably dropped to 24s. The last 100 was probably sub 1:20. I don't have the official time or the splits and probably won't for a few weeks, but the time from the timer was 21:16, and that is good enough for me.

Sunday morning is much better than Friday evening for a 1500. I felt SO much better this time around swimming in the cool morning pool instead of one that has baked in the sun all afternoon. I think the turn out was about the same as last year.

I could probably have broken 21 today if I had spent more time on pacing. It is very likely that I could have held 1:24s the entire race without dying, but I am not willing to devote the practice time to the 1500.

Eney and Bobby (Patten) were both entered with 18 lows and I don't think either went close, but probably 19 low to 19 mid. They only lapped me once, so I was very happy about that.

Post meet nutrition: Yesterday I had 2 endurolytes, 2 liters of Smart Water, 1 16oz gatorade, a pure sport packet and lots of salty frozen pizza, plus lots of water. This worked great. I didn't get that horrible headache that I usually get after swim meets, just achy and tired body. Thanks Geek, the endurolytes helped, but what helped more was knowing that my main problem was not getting enough electrolytes after meets. In general, I eat a very low salt diet and drink LOTS of water, so a swim meet has probably always squeezed all the electrolytes out of me. And thanks to Fort and Ande for the original Smart Water idea as it has been a much more effective method of rehydrating at meets.

WTF moment: The meet was on SMU campus, and I was parked next to one of the stadiums and there was a cheer leading camp further down in the empty parking lot practicing. So I see there is something on my trunk, and as I get closer, I see that it is hair. Now I don't know anything about fake hair, but it didn't look like a wig, so I guess extensions? A weave? I don't even know what those would look like. And why on my trunk? My car isn't clean, and it is a dark blue so it shows dirt great. The sidewalk looked cleaner than my trunk. I looked over at the cheer coach and she starts to apologize, so I pick up the hair and walk over to her and hand it over. I am sure the look on my face was quite entertaining. "I'm sorry, is this your hair?" WTF was that girl thinking just leaving her hair laying around on a random person's dirty car. The cheer coach looked like she was having trouble not laughing, but did say she would return the hair to the right girl.

Medicine Woman laughed so hard on the drive home she was crying. I was pretty much in shock, and still kinda am.

Updated June 27th, 2010 at 02:31 PM by qbrain

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Saturday, 6/26/10

by , June 27th, 2010 at 09:59 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    This weekend is our Elko High Altitude Invitational Meet. Since I'm an official I never get to swim this meet even though its the only meet I wouldn't have to travel for. But that's ok, its for the kids. I did manage to get in the water for about 45 minutes after the last event and here's what I did.

SCM dodging kids

Warm up
    300 free and back
    3 x 100/1:50 Build (ave 1:27 )
    4 x 50/1:10 desc. (went 42->39)
    4 x 25/40 Strong (around 17)

Kick set
    4 x 100/3:00
    Strong Efforts
    (did these as 50 free w/board then 50 on back times were 2:10-15)

Swim
    12 x 50/1:30 smooth
    Work on Stroke Tempo while swimming Smooth
    Fast & Tight Turns
    (did 1-8 free at around 38, 9-12 back at around 45)

Cool down
    100 easy

Total: 2000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Middlebury meet days 1 and 2

I came up to Middlebury on Thursday and swam the first two days of the NE LCM champs on Friday and Saturday. The theme for this meet so far seems to be negative splitting—I managed to do that on 4 of the first 5 events I swam. That was probably a good strategy for the 800 FR, but it’s a bizarre result for the 400 IM. Here’s the rundown on my events so far (The 800 was on Friday, everything else was on Saturday):

800 FR: 11:30.16 (5:46.89, 5:43.27)
    My splits by 100 were 1:22.8, 1:28.3, 1:28.6, 1:28.1, 1:26.5, 1:26.6, 1:26.6, 1:22.6. My stroke cadence felt really good all the way through this race, and my turns felt strong and coherent. My hope was to go around 12 minutes (I put in a seed time significantly above that), so I was thrilled with my time. I have no idea how I can put a 1:22 on the end of a 800 at a meet when I struggle to do a single 100 at that pace in workout with lots of rest beforehand, but I’m glad it seems to work that way.

200 FL: 3:11.19 (1:36.09, 1:35.10)
    On the first 50 of this swim I really felt out of breath. I worried that I was going out too fast, and kept trying to go slower, but then I realized I was not exhaling enough. Once I fixed that—about at my first turn—everything felt good. This was actually a pretty comfortable race.

100 BK: 1:19.79 (39.28, 40.51)
    This was probably my best race so far. My backstroke is feeling good.

400 IM: 6:22.99 (1:35.67, 1:37.97, 1:49.47, 1:19.92)
    Yep, I had a lot left on that freestyle.

200 BR: 3:29.55 (1:45.78, 1:43.77)
    My 50 splits were 50.0, 55.8, 53.3, 50.5. I backed off the 2nd 50 too much—I’ve only swum this event once before and was afraid of taking it out too fast. (It was the same story on 200 FL). My stroke actually felt smoother as I increased my cadence on the 3rd and 4th 50s.

Tomorrow I’m swimming 200 BK, 100 FL, 200 FR, and 100 BR.

This has been such a fun meet so far. The pool is gorgeous and full of light, and it’s one of the friendliest meets I’ve ever been to. I’ve stayed really happy and blissful all day at the pool, and am excited to get to swim every time I get up behind the blocks. And it’s really a relief to race in a proper length pool—hurray for long course!

Leading into the meet I did a clinic with Bill Boomer, which was really amazing. Kudos to the Middlebury folks for arranging his clinic! I’ll post more about it in coming days. I also did a personal session with him today, and instead of working on swimming we mostly worked on sinking! It turns out I have breathing issues in the water (I kind of knew that already), and need to work on getting myself to believe that it’s ok to breathe out when I'm in the water, instead of hoarding all my air because I’m scared I won’t get to breathe in any more of it. Breathing out enough to allow myself to sink to the bottom of the pool is a challenge.
  15. Saturday, June 26

by , June 26th, 2010 at 07:00 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the road about 11:30 and did a 16.3 mile bike ride as follows: 6.3 miles easy, 6.3 miles hard, 3.7 miles easy. On the first easy part, averaged 17.1 mph. On hard part, averaged 20.1 mph. Didn't keep track of what I averaged on last easy part, but needless to say, it was very easy.

Immediately after the ride, I did a very easy 1 mile run at a 9 minute per mile pace. It was scorching by this time, so I was moving pretty slow.

Saw a really good website the other day on how to not get hit by cars while on your bike. I really made sure to be mindful of some of the tips today, especially with regards to cars entering the main road from a side street. The tips are great and can be seen at http://bicyclesafe.com/
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. 5K Postal

by , June 26th, 2010 at 04:32 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    We had 4 swimmers do the 5k this morning.
    Number 5 (Evan) did a test run of 5 x 1000
    He's gonna do the real one Sunday Morning.

Congrats to

Terri, Stephanie, Sully and Todd.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. DAM LCM Meet Day 1

The meet started at 8:30 and I was done with all 5 events by 10:30. Don't worry, people I just met made fun of me for my choice to swim the max events in a meet that might last 3 hours.

This pool, kinda like SMU in general, is pretty crappy. The 50s are hand timed because there is only one set of blocks and one set of pads. So my 50 times could be quite off.

My times:
    50 back 36.76
    200 free 1:07.12/2:21.99
    100 back 1:23.06
    100 free 1:02.90
    50 free 27.07

I am happy with the free times and a little disappointed in the back times. Analysis by event:

- My 50 back was faster last year at this same meet by about a second, so I don't know what happened there.
    - The 100 back time is pretty atrocious. 2x50+ 10 seconds? It did feel like my legs were low during both races so I might have just had bad body position. I need to figure it out or not swim it at Zones.
    - The 200 free was only about 10 minutes after the 50 back. I think 1:07 low is fine and I should be able to come back in a 1:10 high at Zones. I went out ahead of the #1 seed and it was a good race until the final turn. He picked it up a notch and I died. Very painful race at the end, but I blame most of that on the 50 back 10 minutes before.
    - The 100 free was fine at that point in the meet. I beat two people that I did not expect to beat in the race and I expect to be a bit faster at Zones just because it will not be my 4th race in 90 minutes.
    - The 50 free was last and actually had the most time between it and the 100 free. I don't think this was critical but I do think it helped that I had felt like I had actually caught my breath before I had to swim again. 27.07 beat last years 50 free time by almost half a second. Last year I wore legskins and this year I wore endurance briefs. Of course, there were no touch pads, so when I get to Zones and go 2 seconds slower in a faster pool, I will know what really happened. This time converts to a little more than a quarter second off my lifetime best scy. I am pretty sure this means that I am a better lcm swimmer than scy

I beat Mark Glass, who is a local guy a little older than me that has been kicking my *** in the sprints pretty much since his wife taught him how to swim. Beat him in both the 50 and the 100. Nice guy, to day was the first day I actually talked to him.

This is the first masters meet where I had several really good races, the 50 and 100 with Mark next to me and the 200 with a younger guy I don't know.

Overall, I am very happy with the meet. The two ways I know how to get to the pool will be blocked tomorrow, one for Church and the other for construction, so I have no idea how I am going to get to the 1500. I do want to see what kind of time I can go, but then again, it is a really boring race.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Sat Jun 26th 2010

by , June 26th, 2010 at 03:16 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat Jun 26th 2010

weighed 214

scy
    chris Coached
    7:30 to 9:00
    Austin UT Swim Center diving well
    swam with larry marcio & jon
    wore b 70 jammer

WARM UP

MAIN SET LCM

ASSIGNED: 40 X 100 IN GROUPS OF 10 ON VARIOUS INTERVALS, WITH AN EASY 50 BETWEEN EACH ROUND

DID: ROUND 1 ON 1:15
    JUST DIDN'T FEEL GREAT
    POOL WAS WARM, STRUGGLED TO MAKE 1:15'S
    ROUND 2 ON 1:15, SKIPPED A 50
    ROUND 3 SWAM 50 50'S & 5 100'S
    ROUND 4 SKIPPED IT

SO THIS TURNED OUT BEING A RECOVERY WORK OUT, NO PRACTICE TOMORROW
    RESTING UP FOR MONDAY, WHERE I'LL PUT IN MY FINAL WEEK OF HARD WORK BEFORE I REST FOR SR CIR & ZONES

2010 MEETS:

July 8 - 11, 2010
    Austin, TX
    entered:
    Fri
    8 50 Freestyle,
    Sat
    20 100 Butterfly,
    22 50 backstroke,
    Sun
    28 200 Individual Medley
    50 breastroke, &
    50 butterfly

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    Southlake, Texas
    Days till LCM ZONES
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. LCM Saturday

by , June 26th, 2010 at 09:16 AM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Coaching the SHARKS Today

This is our 1st LCM workout.

Warm Up:
    4 X 200 SKIP ~ DRILL THE IM (800)

2 X 50 SWIM EZ/NOT AS EASY :15 R
    1 X 100 SWIM SAME AS 50'S (200/1000)
    :30 R
    4 X 50 SWIM DESC 2 NAE/2 MOD :15 R
    2 X 100 SWIM SAME AS 50'S :20 R
    1 X 200 SWIM 100'S (600/1600)
    :60 R
    6 X 50 SWIM DESCEND X 2'S START AT MOD :15 R
    3 X 100 SWIM DESCEND :20 R
    1 X 300 RECOVERY (900/2500)
    4 X 50 KICK CHOICE :15 R
    2 X 100 SWIM CHOICE :20 R
    1 X 200 SWIM CHOICE (600/3100)
    2 X 50 EZ :15 R
    Extra Rest (if you want) make this last one a good one
    1 X 100 WYHL (Whatever You Have Left) (200/3300)

EXTRA STUFF
    FLOATY TIME
    1 X 500 PULL / SWIM FOCUS ON 1 PROBLEM AREA
    (500/3800)
    1 X 100 60 KICK WORK UW ~ 40 EZ SWIM (4 x IM Order)
    (400/4200)
    4200 METERS = 4593 YDS
    WARM DOWN

Updated June 26th, 2010 at 04:07 PM by Bo Martin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. 6/25/10 workout

I was able to swim yesterday so wanted to try and get in the pool this evening. I was off work today but at the Ohio State baseball championship tournament. He had a 9am game, what a game it was. Down 4 going into last inning we scored 4 to tie it up. Then what they do in extra innings is called texas shootout, where each team starts out with runners on 1st and 2nd. Other team scored 5 runs (ouch) before we got the 3 outs. What did we do, scored 6 to win it! Was an amazing game to watch, was a slugfest and the kids never gave up!

25yard pool
    Warmup
    500 whatever
    5x100 @ 1:20 decend 1:08, 1:06, 1:04, 1:02, 1:00
    10x50's @50 with fins, 25 kick on back, 25 catch up drill free

Main Sets:
    10x25's fly @ 30 with paddles and pull buoy
    10x25's fly @ 20 with paddles only

4x100 fly @ 1:20 held 1:02's
    4x100 back @ 1:20 held 1:10's
    4x100 breast @ 1:45 held 1:20's
    4x100 free @ 1:10 held 1:02's