View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Day 3 of the meet

by , October 25th, 2009 at 05:43 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    A great day today for my 200 Free this is the first time in 2 years I have broken 2:20 with a 2:19.71. The legs and all of the kicking I have been doing is making a difference.
    My 50 Free was not as good 29.02 but that is ok. I had several good swims this weekend with one personal best. Not a bad way to end the meet.

Total of 1750 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. KPN 'slapped' some sense into me.

by , October 25th, 2009 at 02:43 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Quick story: There are two big round tables and KPN is sitting between the two back far enough away so that she can face both tables easily. I show up and sit down next to a friend of mine, which puts me closest to KPN. Demo time comes around, and KPN has me stand up, then knocks me down. Next she lets me sit down, and slaps me. Obviously she does things a little differently, because usually I get slapped before I get tumbled.

My wife wanted to go, but she had to work. My USMS coach wanted to go but he had to run his 50th tri for the year, so he couldn't go. This is important, because I had to review everything with my wife when I got home and I will have to review everything Monday morning again at practice. This was very good because it made me realize how much stuff I had learned. I learned a few things that were so fundamental to swimming I am shocked I made it this long without knowing them. Before reviewing everything, I wasn't sure how much I got out of the clinic.

The most profound thing I learned might be something every other swimmer is born knowing, but I was thrilled to discover it. Have someone provide some hand resistence like the guy in this picture. Now press down with just your finger tips, and notice that the muscles along the top of your arms are most activated. Now press down against their hands with just your wrists, your back should be the main muscle. I don't think anyone else was excited as I was by this.

The foundation of the class is wide stroke, I-pull freestyle. There was video tape before and after, and my before, I am very much a centerline swimmer with some cross over. Afterward, I feel like my hand in entering somewhere on the other side of the lane rope, I watch the video and my hand is entering perfectly in line with my shoulder. The feeling over overdoing it was still really weird, and without the second video taping, I would not have believed I was entering the 4-6 inches off my centerline but somewhere out about 24 inches. It feels really weird, but it looks great on tape.

I played some more with the stroke today (clinic was yesterday) and I have not found anything from my new stroke that I want to discard and replace with something from my old stroke. She had us play with Janet Evans recovery, but wasn't a focus point and how much bend is in my arm recovery is still something to think about and play with.

Tomorrow I should have a waterproof video camera in the mail. That should increase the frequency of my video reviews from twice ever, to at least monthly.

I didn't go too much in detail about the clinic. Overall, it was a very enjoyable clinic, I respected Karlyn as a swimmer before the clinic and after the clinic I consider her a good teacher.

Quick story postscript: The slap was a theatrical mock slap, but she really did knock me over.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Work harder?

by , October 25th, 2009 at 02:05 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hoping to do a run of some sort later today, but will go ahead and post. Saw the below article which is great news for men, but not necessarily so for women. The implication is that women must work much harder than men to get the same benefit.

Who ever said life was fair?

Exercise improves young men's heart regulation

Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:43pm EDT

By Amy Norton
    NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Offering yet more reason to get regular exercise, a new study shows that running and other aerobic activities improve nervous-system control of the heart in young men.

The study, of 149 healthy young adults, found that 12 weeks of aerobic exercise improved the autonomic nervous system's regulation of the heart -- at least in men. In general, the training lowered men's resting heart rate and improved their results on a measure of heart-rate variability -- heart's ability to speed up or slow down in response to demands. The benefit was not seen in women, however, the researchers report in the American Journal of Public Health.

Still, the finding does not mean that exercise is no help to women's hearts, according to lead researcher Dr. Richard P. Sloan, a professor of behavioral medicine at Columbia University Medical Center in New York.
    "There are many benefits of exercise, and this study looked at only one of those," Sloan told Reuters Health.

What the findings imply, he said, is that women may need to work harder than men to improve autonomic control of the heart.

The autonomic nervous system controls involuntary activities of the body, heart function being one. Regular aerobic exercise is one of the keys to a healthy heart, and one reason, the thinking has been, is that exercise improves autonomic regulation of the heart.

To study that theory, Sloan's team randomly assigned 149 healthy, sedentary adults in their 20s and 30s to 12 weeks of strength training or aerobic conditioning -- activities such as running, pedaling on a stationary bike or using a stair-climbing machine.

The volunteers then returned to their sedentary ways for 4 weeks, for a period of "deconditioning."

Overall, the researchers found, aerobic exercise, but not strength training, improved exercisers' fitness levels. Similarly, only aerobic conditioning improved autonomic regulation of the heart -- an effect that disappeared during the deconditioning period.

It's not clear why aerobic exercise improved autonomic control of the heart only in men, Sloan said. It's possible that sex hormones -- either estrogen or testosterone -- play a role, but that is unproven, he noted.
    Whatever the reason, Sloan stressed, the findings do not negate the importance of exercise for women's hearts. "This in no way gives anyone an excuse not to exercise," he said.

SOURCE: American Journal of Public Health, May 2009.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healt...ame=healthNews

At sunset, did a 25 minute run/walk with son and dog around field across the street. Felt good outside - 56 degrees. Beautiful sunset also!

Updated October 25th, 2009 at 07:26 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Genesis, part iii

by , October 24th, 2009 at 10:00 PM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    “Let the will be set on the path of duty. Let every attainment in what is good be firmly grasped."
    -Confucius

Origins of the Tropical Splash
    2003 Recollections

WHAT!!??
    The pool manager was contacted to review times and procedures for the meet. We met to compare notes. This is when I learned that there was an aquatics class in session that utilized the deep end of the pool while our meet would be going on.

I don't know what the class was, but I imagined blue-haired ladies wearing foam belts, bobbing up and down with foam barbells in their hands; Masters swimmers shouting on deck on three sides surrounding them; and someone sprinting butterfly in the lane next to them. Not knowing what a masters meet was all about, the pool manager assumed it would be similar to a USA Swimming dual meet, with about 40-50 swimmers (and all you need is love to get along with the blue-haired ladies.)

Although the pool was willing to go through with it, I felt the arrangement was unacceptable, and would result in lots of complaints afterwards. If the class (whatever it was) complained, we might not be allowed to hold a meet again (thinking of the future and the possibility that the meet would become an annual event.)

We discussed alternate times and alternate dates, but nothing worked. So the Blue-Gray Battle was history before being fought.

Deflated, we thought about using one of the other pools. George Washington Rec Center was a 25yd x 25yd pool that did not receive a lot of use from the public or from rentals. It opened on Sundays at 1:00 PM, allowing us to have the pool to ourselves in the morning. Its deficiencies included small locker rooms and parking lot, small deck space, and no seating.

We talked to the pool manager. There was a boat rental (canoe class) using the pool every other Sunday morning, and the last Sunday in January was theirs. This left us the first Sunday in February (the previous Sunday was a holiday weekend, and parents home entertaining kids would not be competing in a meet - they would be skiing and shopping we were advised.) And, the pool manager was willing to let us rent the pool as individual lanes - cheaper than renting at the 'entire facility' fee. The manager would be getting rental income from a time that the pool was normally closed, so he was happy.

There were about 40 plastic deck chairs at the pool. Three of our team members were on the board of a summer outdoor pool where we hold summer workouts, and offered up their deck chairs to use during the meet. I counted 144 parking spaces and 128 men's lockers in working order. Seemed like enough for a meet. We agreed to hold the meet February 1.

After a Saturday workout, we met as usual at the local cafe and developed the framework for the Tropical Splash - a fun meet with a tropical theme as a way to beat the winter blues. (A civil war battle theme seemed blasphemous at George Washington's pool.) The cannonball relay was converted to the coconut relay. In many many ways, the possibilities of a tropical meet were superior to the Blue-Gray Battle.

And that's the convoluted history and background of how our meet was born. Next up... the decisions and details for this year's meet.

BOOK OF WISDOM
    • Don't ever count yourself out - find a way.
    • Look beyond the obvious end - it is not the end

Updated November 10th, 2009 at 07:03 AM by Rnovitske

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Saturday, 10/24/09

by , October 24th, 2009 at 09:02 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

300 swim free
    200 kick choice
    300 pull alt. 50 free/50 back
    (w/buoy only)
    200 IM drill

swim 8 x 50 on 1:00 choice, every 3rd 50 fast
    (did 1-3 free, 4-6 back, 7-8 fly)
    100 easy

kick 6 x 75 on 1:40 choice, middle 25 fast
    (flutter w/board, no fins. Ave 1:20)
    100 easy

pull 4 x 100 free on 1:40, descend
    (w/p&b, went 1:25->1:13)
    50 easy

swim 12x25 on 35 choice, #3, 6, 9 FAST
    ( did 1-3 & 12 fly, 4-6 & 11 back, 7-10 free)

200 swim down choice
    --
    Total: 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Day 2 of the meet

by , October 24th, 2009 at 07:58 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Originally I was only going to swim the 100 Free and I decided during warm up to deck enter the 500 Free and see how it goes.

The 100 Free was my fastest non tapered time at 1:03.05 then came the 500 Free in 6:17.70, not a best but I am pleased with it. I felt like I tightened up at the 200 but managed a decent time anyway.

Total yards today 2300.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Run plus core

by , October 24th, 2009 at 04:57 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the treadmill and did a 3 mile run. Started off at 5 mph and every 2 minutes, went up 1/2 mile mph until I ran 2 minutes at 8 mph. Came back down 1/2 mph every two minutes and ran the remainder at 5 mph.

Core work:

1 set of 100 bicycles
    2 sets of 25 crunches with Swiss ball
    2 sets of 25 side crunches
    1 set of 20 leg lifts
    1 set of 25 back extensions
    2 sets of 10 push-ups with Bosu ball
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Foot'in and Finn'in

by , October 24th, 2009 at 04:18 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    FRIDAY I was tired. I didn't swim but I made myself go out and run 42:00 minutes. I didn't enjoy it and just went downhill and slothed the rest of the night. I'm too old to push myself when I'm tired I guess.
    SATURDAY morning I got up and went to Nasti's. This was a shorter "sprint" type quality workout. I was tired AGAIN from the start.
    Here's the workout:
    *600 Freestyle warm-up
    *4 X 100 on 2:00 (add 20% of best 100 time for goal. If slower than goal subtract the extra from next rep and go faster, yeah right?) I did all 4 freestyle in 1:25 without fail. I used bi-lateral breathing the whole time and it's starting to feel normal.
    *200 moderate swim. I did backstroke.
    *3 X 100 on 2:00 (same gimmick as above) I went backstroke. splits were 1:28/1:30/1:35. I thought that was good for me. I've never done backstroke. I've decided to work on it this year for a new and different challenge
    *10 X 25 on :30 from the middle of the pool and back. Work the underwaters.
    *3 X 100 on 2:00 Yes same gimmick again) This time I did IM's. I didn't pay attention to my times
    *4 X 25 Free on :30 no breathing. (I worked on speedy breathing every 5)
    *200 EZ cool-down
    2,350 scy

I'm gonna go make tastee tuscan bean soup and chocolate kiss blossom cookies! The thought makes me hungry.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Hatertainment

by , October 23rd, 2009 at 11:11 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    My mood tends to rotate about, like a squab on a spit.

At times of manic bonhomie, I become paradoxically vicious and attacking.

At times of melancholic self-pity, too delicate to withstand a harshly elevated eyebrow, I become as obsequious and deferential as a socially anxious titmouse.

I coined a term today, or at least I think I coined it, for as Ecclesiastes tells us, there is nothing new under the sun.

At worst, or at best, I independently coined a term today: Hatertainment. The idea is that when you rally another's hatred for X or Y or Z, the rallied often repay you with something akin to love, or at least gratitude, and they will keep on coming back.

Hate, if evoked well, is as pleasure-giving as laughter or love. It's the ambergris of human emotions, the foulest smelling of them all, and hence the raw stuff of which the greatest perfumes are made by our most skilled hatertaining parfumieres.

On Facebook, I noted that Rush Limbaugh may be a modern pioneer, and current king, of the hatertainment industry, adding quickly that Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity are natural born hatertainers, too.

Anyhow, no sooner had I coined (more on this in a moment--I shall check at the end of this vlog to see whether I did, in fact, coin hatertainment or merely rediscover what seems such an obvious neologism!) the term than I began to wonder if I, in my own way, from my own leftist perspective, might be an amateur hatertainer, too.

Surely, when the squab on the spit is turned in such and such a way, and my manic bonhomie unleashes the viciously good-natured furies from my nostrils and ear drums and urethra and other orifices, one of my favorite subjects is the heaping of execration upon the heads of those I deem deserving.

Ah, but as Eudora Welty (I think) so sagely observed:

Even the wicked get more than they deserve.

And the pointy headed frogs add, by way of mellifluous night ribbets: Tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner!

and still I do it!

And no faster had I expressed such self doubt, such self hating, if you will, trying to do so in a self hatertaining way, but my noble twin brother rose from his own obsessions to call me not a hatertainer at all, but rather his own neologism:

a lovemedian.

Me? A Lovemedian? Why it would be such an honor to call myself such, but as we all know, I am the owner of a serious bubo, one whose nature the doctor--his eyebrow raised in harsh censure--on this very day, in confusion, perhaps, an diagnostic frustration, not wanting to rule anything out till the villain be named, this very same clinician used the word "venereal" as a possible descriptor of my Pinchas and his tendrils of nerve pain to the left buttock!

Not saying it is, not saying it isn't; can't rule anything out yet, with the exception of syphilis and rocky mountain spotted fever (tests negative!)

and so I told my brother, with my penchant for verbal attacks and blue subjects, that I am at best a hatertaining cumedian who must not be confused with his beatific kind: a true lovemedian.

I feel the spit begin to rotate once more.

A nicer Jim turns his face to the fire to roast like a snack-sized titmouse!

In illness a new me is born for now.

Alas, too late!

Google has found some rappers who beat me to it.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. AWESOME! That is all

by , October 23rd, 2009 at 09:57 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Tonight the kids all did best times shedding lots of time while the old lady managed a best time in the 1000 Free. I could see my splits throughout the swim and knew I was out in 1:11 at the 100, 6:24 at the 500 and had plenty left to back half the race this time. Final time was 12:50.? a 6 second time drop. I will take a best time ANY TIME!

Total yards in warm up, warm down and racing 2600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Weights plus easy swim

by , October 23rd, 2009 at 08:36 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the weight room this afternoon and followed it with an easy swim.

Weight room:

Bench press: warm-up- bar x 5
    2 sets of 75 x 15

Lat pull-down: warm-up - 50 x 5
    90 x 5
    2 sets of 120 x 15

Triceps pull-down: 2 sets of 30 x 15

Alt. hammer curls - 2 sets of 15 x 10

Core: 1 set of 100 bicycles
    1 set of 50 good morning darlings
    2 sets of 25 crunches

One mile easy run at 10 minute mile pace - threw in a couple of 30 second surges

Swim:

400 Reverse I.M. - 100 easy free, 100 breast kick, 100 double-arm back, 100 one-arm fly

4 x 50 free with buoy only on 1:00

500 free drill with fins - first 100 - kick on side, second 100 alternate 3 strokes with 12 kicks on side, third 100 alternate 3 strokes with 6 kicks on side, fourth 100 alternate 3 strokes with 3 kicks, fifth 100 is regular free.

4 x 100 - 25 underwater breast, 75 easy - 30 seconds rest between each 100

400 easy kick with fins - alternated 100 free kick with 100 back kick

1900 yards

Updated October 23rd, 2009 at 10:49 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Friday, Oct. 23

by , October 23rd, 2009 at 07:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    RC Work:

Felt I had been shirking my RC work somewhat again, so I got a session in. My left lat/trap/terres are just a tad twingey.

external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
    scapular stretches, 2 x 5
    3 point arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15, each way
    scapular wall slides, 2 x 25

20 minutes of stretching --- woohoo!

Swim/SCM/Solo:

I went to the hot gym pool b/c I wanted to sit in the steam room. Alas, it wasn't working.

Warm up:

800 variety swim, kick, drill

Stroke Work:

10 x 25 UW 4 point shooters (2 kicks on belly, right side, back, left side, etc.)

To amuse myself, I tried to stay exactly on the lane line as I twirled around. I like this drill, and hadn't done it in awhile.

10 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens = easy DAB

50 EZ

2 x (37.5 AFAP free w/fins, no breath + 112.5 cruise)

I tried these to see if I could fairly comfortably go 1 & 1/2 lengths with no breath. It was fairly easy. Of course, I was wearing fins. But then the pool was shallow SCM as well. I guess I'm inclined to try taking a breath in the 50 free halfway through the second length at the meet. Unless I forget, always possible. lol

No warm down: sat in hot tub for 15 minutes or so

Total: 1550 meters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I feel fairly good and semi-rested. I took a morning nap today after getting the kids off to school and can sleep in tomorrow since soccer is a PM event. Yipee! My body is reverting to teenager ways in my old age. I used to never be able to sleep in, but now I love it.

My neck feels better. I used an alternating ice & wet heat treatment last night and that helped. I will repeat tonight.

Unlike Speedo, I don't really have specific goal times for this meet. I would just like to swim fast and have error-free races. And, since this could be my last SCY tech suit clad meet, I'd like to post some solid times. If I can go around my seed times or a bit faster, I'd be pleased. Last year at this meet, I swam 100 fly (1:04), 50 fly (27.5) and 50 free (25.5). I remember being somewhat surprised by the 50 times last year, but then it was also my first yards meet in a B70.
  13. Day whatever...

Trying to shake whatever this bug is I picked up. No swimming since Monday...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Pool is still too warm

by , October 23rd, 2009 at 12:33 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    10/23/09

It's hard to get a good swim in when the water is as warm as it is.

SCY with Carrie

300 swim free
    300 kick choice
    300 pull no free

all free:
    swim 4 x 75 on 1:15 descend to fast
    (went 1:02->56)
    swim 150 free on 2:40 at 70-75%

swim 4 x 75 free on 1:15 build
    (all around 1:00)
    swim 150 free on 2:40 @70-75%

swim 4 x 75 free on 1:15 at 80-85%
    (again around 1:00)
    swim 150 easy free

take 1 minute rest

swim 8 x 50 free on :50 at the best pace you can hold
    (started at 36 the rest were 37-38)

swim down 300 easy choice

Total: 2950 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. FAST Fri OCT 23rd, 2009 went 49 in 100 FR

by , October 23rd, 2009 at 10:48 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri OCT 23rd, 2009

right middle finger felt fine

Next MEET: 2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships
    December 4th - 6th, 2009 at Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

41 Days till Long Beach

FOUR OR MORE SDKs off every wall even in warm up, even on easy stuff

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY no blocks
    5:30 - 7:00
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center diving well
    Swam with ned & mike
    beside todd, tyler, larry & marcio

WORE B70

warm up
    200 fr
    200 fr
    200 k
    200 fr
    did easy 50's

MAIN SET

50 fr fast for time
    went 23

100 easy

20 x 50 fr fast on 1:15
    dove them all
    did 4 SDKs off each wall
    held 25's & 26's

100 easy

5 minutes rest

100 FR FAST for time
    25 2 beat kick
    75 6 beat kick
    4 SDKs off start, 1st turn, & 2nd turn,
    3 SDKs off 3rd turn
    went 49
    kinda surprised me didn't think I went a 49
    swam beside todd, i thought he'd do br or IM but he swam free

easy 100

Updated October 23rd, 2009 at 11:14 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Meet tonight

by , October 23rd, 2009 at 08:45 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    This morning was just a warmup, get the shoulder loose, feeling ok but not much strength right now.

10x100@1:45 Free EASY!
    1000 kick w/fins easy alt 100 free/100 fly
    6x50@1:00 free descend to 1000 race pace went 43,42,41,40,39,38
    200 Free warm down

Total 2300 yards

4:00 event one is complete "The donning of the Suit!" event 2 the 1000 Free is obviously much later.

Updated October 23rd, 2009 at 03:57 PM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Savant Idiot

by , October 22nd, 2009 at 10:38 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    I played tennis again tonight, possibly a mistake, but it was in the 70s, and a balmy southern breeze under conditions of squinting could just possibly be mistaken for a summer wind, so I played.

Terribly. Mistake after error-riddled mishitting -- that word doesn't look right, perhaps it needs a hyphen: mis-hitting.

At one point I wondered if it is possible that I might just be one of those very rare individuals known as a savant idiot.

The more common idiot savant is, of course, a person tremendously gifted in one very specific skill: some weird math ability, for instance, or musical genius, or the ability to sculpt exact replicas of X or Y--but other than this one specific spot of genius, is sort of thick in all other avenues in life.

Could I be, I wondered, after flubbing yet another easy backhand into the net, or "lobbing" a wounded duck of a Penn 3 into the oversized sweet spot of my adversary's smashing Babelot--could I, might I, is it possible, even remotely, that the one known as Jimby might be a savant idiot:

A genius in every aspect of life except one, that being tennis, and in this area, I am profoundly retarded?

I was musing on my possible savant idiocy diagnosis when other areas of profound retardation began emerging: for example, not knowing how to stop talking about my lesion in polite company. This is probably a case of social retardation, but nuances aside, it did make me realize that tennis is not my only area of disabling dunderheadedness.

In fact, there appear to be many, not the least of which is the ability to remember the others.

So, I probably am not a Savant Idiot after all, at least in the true sense.

Our local paper wrote me up in an article today, which I found out by accident. The writer had emailed me some questions, which I filled out, and I thought she said she would call for a followup interview, but she didn't. Then when I was picking up a submarine sandwich for dinner tonight, the submarine sandwich vendor said, "You are Thornton, aren't you? I was reading about you in the Sewickley Herald."

You too can read about me in the Sewickley Herald. Interestingly, this is only Part 1. I may have mentioned during the email "interview" that I had developed a lesion following my return from Idaho.

I wonder if Part 2., which is scheduled to run next week, will focus on this aspect of my life.

Here is the link: http://www.yoursewickley.com/sewickl...-wild-part-one

Interestingly, three weeks earlier, the Sewickley Herald ran a different story on the Bed & Breakfast my wife and I (well, almost entirely my wife) restored. If you are ever likely to be in these here parts and want a nice place to stay that doesn't smell like a chain motel, you might want to check this out, too:

http://www.yoursewickley.com/sewickl...oric-buildings

One thing you don't need to worry about is contracting my lesion.

It really does not seem to be getting better, nor worse.

I made an appointment for tomorrow. It may be time to remove my groin. Drastic, maybe even draconian. But sometimes you have to kill the patient to save him.

Little Jimby, it was nice being your traveling companion thru life, but it's time we parted ways.

The entire retrospective horrorshow for your continuing dietary efficacy:

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Day 1 Fall Break

by , October 22nd, 2009 at 09:25 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I slept in till 9:00 a.m. That was sweet!
    I opted to swim solo early so I could" hang out" with oldest daughter tonight. I had the whole pool to myself; I felt like the Aqua Queen! Here's the workout:

*500 Free Warm-up Swim
    *200 Dolphin Kick on Back with fins
    *4 X 25 Fly--Sprint as fast as possible no fins on :45 interval (18-20-21-19)
    *4 X 25 Fly--Sprint with Fins on :30 interval
    *100 Dolphin Kick on Back (no fins ugh, I gave up the 200 and only did 100...sissy)
    *4 X 25 Fly----Sprint on :45 interval
    *2 X (200 Free--2 X 100 Free--4 X 50--8 X 25)
    (200's 3:30 interval/100's 1:50 interval/50's 1:00 interval/25's :30 interval)
    *200 IM Moderate rest swim
    *4 X 50 Backstroke on 1;00 interval.
    done and out 3,100 SCY

Lindsay and I ate at this new quaint little eatery named Petite Chou. We had some delicious Croque Monsieur and frites along with a nice glass of French chard. I brought a moist, fudgey brownie home too. I keep running downstairs and breaking pieces off. It will be gone all too soon. So much for a diet.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. I was beat by a warm up swimmer

by , October 22nd, 2009 at 08:16 PM (Random Nonsense)
    I have the official results from the meet and there was no one in my heat that went a 1:54, but there was someone who did a 150 in 1:54. I was racing, probably several people, who were in the warm up lane. I am changing my name to qdumbass.

http://www.ntswim.org/meetresults/20...nt_results.htm

More interesting:

I have worked out 5 times in 3 days and will probably hit 12 workouts for the week. 5 swimming, 3 weights, 4 conditioning.

KPN is giving a clinic this weekend. Hopefully she can teach me how to swim. I am counting this as a workout, it is at least 75 minutes of water time.

I booked my Asia flights yesterday. $121 for two people in business/first for 18,506 miles. I love airline miles.

I still think that my 200 was a lack of conditioning issue. Obviously I am working on that a little harder now.

In the up coming A meets, I will swim the 50 and the 100 for racing practice. That will give me 2 meets in Nov and 3 in Dec, instead of 1 and 2. Dec is my next shot at a 200 A time.

Jeff Comings is sending me a tempo trainer. I assume this has something to do with his Swimming World responsibilities, but it was awesome to see that HE was the one on the from address in the email. Even that brush probably won't make me a better breaststroker, but I am ok with that.

My next 200 free is at the DAM SCM meet. The A cut is 2:12 SCM, so my goal is to go faster than that at Lifetime before the meet.

My coach told me I am flat on my left side, but my rotation is good on my right side (breathing side). My left shoulder bothers me... He pointed this out at the end of a timed mile, (20:43), so I think this gets worse as I get tired, but is something I need to work on. He said to look for it in the videotaping this weekend, or even better, fix it before then.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Thursday, Oct. 22

by , October 22nd, 2009 at 05:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    250 fly drills

6 x 25 SDK shooters on back

50 EZ

Speed work:

1 x 50 AFAP SDK on back w/fins (went 27ish)

150 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP evil + 75 EZ)

no warm down, sat in hottub instead.

Total: 1550 meters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Unfortunately, I fell asleep on the couch last night. Woke up at 3:45 am with a creaky neck and sore left trap. Had trouble sleeping afterward b/c of the neck pain. I do this neck wrenching thing periodically ... Can't turn my neck much at the moment and my chiro is booked. I hope the pain & wrenching subside by Sunday. Any tips?

Because of the lack of sleep and neck pain, the swim didn't feel so great. My legs still feel tired. One day, as part of turning myself into a research lab, I'm going to do the Mike Heather taper and just stay in bed for a week. Of course, this may occur after my children are grown. lol

Sprint Classic:

The psych sheets are up:

http://www.patriotmasters.org/2009_s...sych_sheet.htm

Really looking forward to the meet, which is always fast and fun. My former secret nemesis is swimming, but with some very slow seed times for her. I also detect some other sandbagging. I'm seeded first in the 50 fly/back/free. Because Petra Martin wants a day off from the pool from coaching, I have a chance to defend my Drop Dead Sprinter title from the last 2 years. But I appear to have some worthy adversaries, including my coach, some young Reston chicks, Lisa Rapuano, etc. My lazy coach, claiming lack of fitness, is only swimming the 25s. I scolded her for this.

I'm looking forward to the 50 back! All my best lady buddies are in my heat -- Julie-Mulie, Mollie-Jolie, Barb and Alison. Jules is very worried about swimming with us, but I tried to remind her that she did excellently at Savagman with no swim training!

As Speedo mentioned, there will definitely be some very exciting men's events, especially the 50 free, 50 back and 100 IM. It will be fun to watch Speedo and Clay race in the 200 free as well. Since Jimby is plagued with his lesion named Pincha, he is not competing. But in his place, he has sent Mark Cox from the Sewickley Masters. And he is rather speedy -- he may give Neill a race in the 50 evil!

Assuming my neck is ready, the rest of me is ready for my evilstroke gridges with Stud and Hulk.

Hopefully, we can all grab lunch after at our usual RH&B or somewhere else.

Today's Ramble:

1. Is it possible to get over an instinctive hatred of an event? I can't stand the 100 free ...

2. Is it possible that I have what Jimby refers to as "monofin arthritis"? My big toe knuckle has had chronic tendonitis since dropping the monofin on it and I'm worried it's morphed to arthritis. I notice it especially after running. I think I need new running shoe inserts ...

3. Will Geek respond to my counter-offer with another preposterous negotiating ploy?

4. I feel less flexible this week without yoga.

5. Here are Jazzy's thoughts on 50 free breathing:

"If you're going 24-25ish, two breaths sounds about right, and three might even be better. That's about how long it takes me to do 50m, and I wouldn't try that on a single breath. But, everybody is different. I think you want to be feeling fresh at the end of a 50. Extreme fatigue probably means you didn't breathe enough. Or you are way out of shape. With that guideline, you can figure it out with trial and error. But honestly it seems more of a 2 vs. 3 thing for you than 1 vs. 2.

I'm still undecided on breathing early versus late. Q tipped me off that C02 buildup may be the main problem, in which case late is better. Another advantage to late is that your first breath is always going to last longest. But, I still think there might be something to breathing early to prevent fatigue late. If pressed, I would say a single breath goes midway through the last 25."

6. I have perused the NE Champs results from last year. I don't think I will have to "game" much to avoid an outside lane in most events. (Patrick will be happy.) But I have no idea what time to enter for the 50 evil. I've only swum it once 2 years ago. I see I still have NE records in the 50/100 back from 2 years ago. Hopefully, I'll go faster this year! I seem to recall that I swam that 100 back on about 10 minutes rest. I almost scratched it, but Stud urged me to swim and I thanked him for it.

Updated October 22nd, 2009 at 07:57 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts