View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Saturday

by , October 17th, 2009 at 11:28 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Late morning swim with the Nasti's. Crowded but fun! I felt peppy today. Here's the workout:

*500 Free swim warm-up
    *200 Dolphin Kick on Back
    *4 X 225 on 4:00 (Swim 200 Free/rest :10/sprint 25 stroke) i did fly sprint
    *4 X 200 (100 Free (rest :10 sec) 75 IM stroke (rest 10 sec) 50 Free (rest 10 sec) 25 Gut Buster (rest 20 seconds)
    *8 X 50 on 1:00 (I did 4 free/4 Back)
    *200 Backstroke moderate/smooth/focus on turns.
    3,000 SCY

Today was a perfect, cool, crispy fall day!
    I spent the remainder of the afternoon running errands, shopping (new shoes and nifty jacket), and getting a haircut.
    Tomorrow nite my son and I (we both like terror) are going through an intense haunted house then to a documentary about ghosts. I love Halloween, ghosts, goblins, and anything associated with this holiday.
    I'm very bummed; the Nasti Halloween party is the same night as trick-or-treat. I love passing the candy out to the kids. I may just have to go to the party late! I would definitly give up a great meal to rap with the neighborhood kiddies and check out their costumes! I guess I'm a sort of Halloween freak!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Saturday afternoon

by , October 17th, 2009 at 11:18 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    10/17/09

I slept in this morning so I missed the early lap swim. I went to the pool this afternoon during open swim hoping it wouldn't be crowded. I got lucky and only 3 people were there and 3 lane lines were still in.

SCY, solo

800 swim choice (mix strokes)
    (did 300 free/250 back/250 breast on this)

kick 3x around:
    2 minutes kick w/last 15 sec. fast; 15 sec. rest between each
    (was going about 105-110y on these)

pull 300 choice
    (used buoy only, did 150 ea. free & back)

swim free 4x around: {
    25 easy on 1:00
    50 build on 1:00
    (40 on these)
    75 fast on 1:00 - make the interval and go right into the easy 25!
    (:55 on the 1st, then :53 on the others)
    }
    100 easy

pull 6 x 125 free w/20 sec. rest, breathe 3/5/3/5/3 by 25; descend 1-3, 4-6
    (with P&B, 1:45->1:35 each round)
    50 easy

kick 8 x 50 on 1:00 with MF: #2, 5, and 8 FAST; keep the rest nice and smooth
    (fast ones around 32 others just under 40)

swim 3 x 100 back on 1:45
    (went 1:30 on them)

swim down 12 x 25 on :30, every 3rd no free
    (did all fly on no free)
    --
    Total: 3900 yards

Updated October 17th, 2009 at 11:35 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. USA-S 100 free

by , October 17th, 2009 at 05:32 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Went a 54.0x, needed a 53.59.

After warming up 2 hours before my swim yesterday, I changed my game plan. There is one lane set aside for warm up and cool down, and it is the cluster you would expect it to be with 10 lanes of competition feeding it. But I thought a warm up near my swim would help.

The plan was to get to the meet as warmup ended with just enough time to check in. I was swimming in the 3rd event of the day, and the second event was relays, so it would only have a few heats. Once the relays started, I would hop in and warm up until my race.

Everything went as planned actually. I got to the pool, checked in and the place was packed. Found a seat, and was worried that they roped off the cool down lane because they wised up and didn't want people goofing around next to the race. What they really wanted was people to not enter from the starting block end, so I was safe. A little worried I wasn't going to have a warm up for a second.

Warm up was a 50 every time the warm up lane dropped to only 4 people swimming. I got one solid 100 in as well, and this actually was a great warm for the 100. Maybe 400 total.

There were 7 heats of NT. That is 69 kids (and me) swimming the 100 free for the first time at a USA-S meet. Kinda surprising. By virtue of name I was in the 6th heat.

My swim itself was decent, I just didn't have what I needed. I had one bad turn when the touch pad was a little grippier than expected, causing me to go deep, but I really worked my turns in warm up, and my turns off the far wall were solid.

The 200 free will be a near thing using Ande's magic equation. I went 54.04(?), so double that and add 10 seconds, 1:58.08... I need to go 1:58.09, so there is room to spare.

Nerves were a non-issue today. Warm up was much better. I am really starting to agree with ehoch, I need racing practice.

This morning, did some broomstick twists and used the foam roller on the legs. That really loosened things up, and I think I will make it a regular pre meet warm up.

For Tim: My lifetime best 100 is 50.0x and my Zones time was 54.22 shaved with legskins.

I expected this to be the most difficult A cut to make. Hopefully I am right and I can break 1:58 tomorrow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Sat OCT 17th, 2009

by , October 17th, 2009 at 04:16 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat OCT 17th, 2009

Next MEET:
    2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships
    December 4th - 6th, 2009 at Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

47 Days till Long Beach

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM Blocks
    7:30 - 9:00
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center main pool
    Swam with Marcio, Tyler, Larry, Jon, Erin & Amy

WORE speedo brief

warm up
    around 600

MAIN SET

assigned 1000
    did 5 x 100 easy speed
    went 1:06 - 1:09

4 x 50

assigned 1000
    did 10 x 50 12 SDKs fast then easy

4 x 50

assigned 1000
    did 10 x ( start in middle 25 aerobic flip 8 SDKs FAST, then easy back to middle )
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Training with the kids

by , October 17th, 2009 at 02:08 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Got in with the kids yesterday afternoon. I'm having a great time training with them. This is just the thing I need to pick me up after training on my own this past summer and not getting to go to Nationals. It sure does make a difference to train with a group. I have to work so much harder just to keep up!

Would not want to do this everyday as I don't think I could recover well enough. Thank goodness we had no Saturday morning activities to tend to this morning - I slept 11 hours last night!!

A funny thing is that the first part of practice, the pool is split between the older kids and the younger kids. My son swims in the lane next to the older kids. On the one hand, he say he likes having his mama there swimming nearby. On the other, I'm not sure he likes it when I give him grief for yapping while the coach is talking. Things will probably really change when he hits his teen years!

Anyway, having fun getting some intensity in with more yardage. I think doing this a couple of times a week will work out well.

Right now, my body is having to make an adjustment to the increased yardage. The pool is a little warm and I'm finding that towards the end of practice, that I'm getting leg cramps when I push off the wall. I do keep Gatorade on deck while I'm trainig. I don't know if this is due to the combination of running or swimming or simply being a little out of shape. I think it the later because I hardly did any running this week and was feeling the legs cramping up toward the end of practice. Guess it would not hurt to add some potassium-rich foods into my diet.

As I mentioned above, have not gotten in much running this week. Only one run of 3 miles. At the start of practice yesterday, even though I had done weights in the morning, I had the feeling of being tapered. Seriously, felt like I had rested for a big meet!

Warm-up: easy 600

6 x 100 with fins - underwater blast as far as you can go, the rest easy

2 x 500 pull with paddles with 1 minute rest

10 x 50 kick on 1:00 (no fins)

10 x 100 I.M. hard - work turns on 2:00

16 x 50 - 25 sprint/ 25 easy on 1 minute

(I had to stop after 8 due to leg cramp)

100 easy

4200 yards

Updated October 17th, 2009 at 02:13 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Another Saturday

by , October 17th, 2009 at 01:38 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today we had the whole group for drill day. My right shoulder is still acting up some. I hope it gets back to normal before my meets the next two weekends.

500 free
    40x25 Drills 10 of each stroke
    5x100@ 1:20 Free w/paddles & bouy (this is the best I have ever done)
    200 Free EASY

Total 2200 yards

Updated October 17th, 2009 at 10:45 PM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. I totally DOMINATED

by , October 16th, 2009 at 09:48 PM (Random Nonsense)
    ... a bunch of little kids.

Interesting tidbits:
    - the heats are mixed (coed heats)
    - the heats are not broken up by age
    - I am on good terms with a coach now I was on bad terms with when I quit his team (twice)
    - my old Master's coach: "HI MIKE, WHAT ARE YOU DOING AT A BB MEET?" but she was happy to see me
    - talked to DAM (Dallas Area Masters) coach Wendy who I have met previous, she was very supportive
    - parent in front of where I was sitting: "I saw you win your heat"
    - my response: "I think I won my age group too."

I was very very nervous. The bad terms/good terms coach was the head coach of the team hosting the meet, so I wasn't looking forward to that. It is a BB meet, so most of the kids who are as tall as me have either made A cuts or quit the sport to do something else, so I stood out about as much as I thought I would. Plus the normal nerves from competition.

My 50 was about 2 hours after my warm up. I was in heat 2 of event 3, but there was only one heat of event 2 (400 IM), so I had to move to get to the blocks on time. Behind the blocks are PACKED because it is the main path from the doors to half the stands, plus timers chairs, plus 7 heats of kids ready to swim the 50.

A cut: 24.49
    My time: 24.43 (I hope I the scoreboard was right).

So that is pretty slow. Over the last 3 weeks, my training had dropped in frequency to about 3-4 times a week. As much stuff as I have been changing, I think I need to be in the water 5-6 times a week, not necessarily for yardage, but to reinforce the changes I have made. I really felt my kick was missing and my start and turn were too deep. My stroke didn't feel strong during warm up or the swim and I felt winded during warm up.

I think tomorrow will go better, because there is less to be worried about. I am unsure if I should hit Lifetime in the morning for some pre meet practice. Overall, I am content with my swim. I would have been thrilled with a 23.5, and horrified with a 24.5.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Union Mine HS morning Solo

by , October 16th, 2009 at 08:51 PM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Ive returned to the gym on Tuesdays - Thursdays -Saturdays. Here is my current routine, I change weights everytime, either low weights- high reps or high weights- low reps.
    Thursday October 15
    2x5 Pull-ups & dips assist (70lb)
    Legs
    3x10 Leg curls 70.100,80
    3x10 Leg extensions 80, 100, 90
    3x10 Hip adduction 70, 80, 100
    3x10 Hip Abduction 70, 80, 100
    3x10 calfs 280,280, 300
    cable
    3x10 Fly Sim 20, 25
    3x10 Back Sim 12.5
    DB's
    2x10 incline chest press 20, 35
    2x10 culrs 20, 1x8 35
    2x10 Tricep press
    2x12 Hanging knee raises w/pull-up
    10 Bear crawls
    Incline Ab bench & back/side extension jig
    2x10 inclined abs w/ 10lb overhead
    4x10 truck twist w/ 25 lb
    2x10 Back extensions w/ 25lb
    2x10 ea side extensions w/ 10lb
    plywood box
    10 box jumps ea sides and front
    Lat/Row contraption
    3x10 lat pull-downs 90, 100, 120
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Friday Oct 16 0610-0720 AM
    UMHS - Solo -

After work I forced myself in for a sunrise workout. Coach Steve was kind enough to compress the seniors to open a lane up for me. I wonder if the seniors were a just little disconcerted that I got a lane to myself while they were bunched up 4 to a lane. Seniors =
    Coach Steve also mentioned the we now had backstroke flags and the water was a balmy 83.
    Wonder if he read my blogs ?
    I attempted a Chris Stevenson workout, however my excuse not to finish was severe cramping in the back of my thighs during the first Kick set. I could really feel the weights from yesterday, not much left today after a long night at work.

Warm (500) 2x100 on 1:45, 6 x 50FR on 1:00
    Broken 1000
    4 x 50 on 0:45
    2 x 100 on 1:30
    1 x 200 on 3:00
    2 x 100 on 1:30
    4 x 50 on 0:45
    100 easy
    Kick
    1 x 200 kick FR snorkel/mini-board
    100 easy
    Broken 400 IM
    8 x 50 on 1:00, 2 each stroke, IM order (Did 150 FR Pull/then 2 ea. BK/BR/FR)

4 x 50 on 0:55 fly drills
    100 easy

200 cool down
    2750 total
  9. More CDVB, Friday, Oct. 16

by , October 16th, 2009 at 04:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Gym:

core:

long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    bicycles, 1 x 100
    broomstick twist, 2 x 50
    (I dunno, Q, this seems pretty worthless, though it's a nice stretch.)
    hanging straight leg raises, 3 x 15
    trunk twists on incline bench w/15 lb DB, 2 x 25
    overhead squats (the "Nicole"), 1 x 10 with broomstick, 3 x 15 w/45 lb bar.
    (It took a few reps to get my balance down, but then it was fine. Good core exercise.)

weights:

HS hi row, 140 x 3 x 8 (fast)
    tricep press, 44 x 3 x 10 (fast)
    alternating hammers, 17.5 x 2 x 20 (fast)

rack chins, 3 x 15
    (these are getting much easier, probably need to add weight)

plyos:

run stance squat jump/twist, 5 x 5*

= do 5 small squat jumps in place + 1 explosive twisting turn and jump of 180 degrees. liked it, it's definitely a keeper

leaping lunges switches, 2 x 10

leap frog squats. 2 x 5*

= 5 double leg squat leaps with wide legs)

med ball "starts," 2 x 15

= use 2 6 lb med balls. place fingers under ball in front. bend knees and get into position as if doing a grab start. then explosively push back with arms and hands and throw ball against back wall as hard and fast as possible. we have a 15 foot room adjacent to the weight room. I stood a couple feet or more in front of it and did this, and it seems to work. the balls flew in the air and bounced right before the wall. this is a keeper. Pete mentioned this exercise yesterday, and now I can't recall where he heard of it. Salo, Pete?

* = plyos from the P90X plyo vid that I found on youtube

RC:

I suck!
    I ran out of time and only did:

scapular wall slides, 2 x 25

BTW, This is not the order I do all these exercises in, it's just how I blog them. I usually mix them up and superset everything.

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    200 fly drills

Hypoxic/Stroke Work:

10 x 50 @ 1:15
    odds = cruiser backstroke kick
    evens = SDK shooter w/fins, 1 breath at turn

100 EZ

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ DAB
    breakouts were kinda crappy

100 EZ

Speed Work:

3 x 75, done as:
    25 AFAP free from mid pool + 50 EZ

125 EZ

4 x 50, done as:
    backstroke start power kick to 15 meters and cruise the rest
    14-15 SDKs to get to 15 meter mark. Probably means 13 in a race with my B70.

100 EZ

1 x 50 SDK on back AFAP (23.5ish, was tired)

200 EZ

Total: 3000

Rest Plan for Sprint Classic:

Ande and I were chatting about a rest plan for the Sprint Classic. I am going with a 5 day "rest" so I can swim pretty fast without losing too much training mojo. Plus, on the CDVB plan, one doesn't have to really "rest" too much as opposed to cutting out or cutting back on the cross-training.

Ande suggested this plan to adapt as needed:

try this schedule,
    also in swim practice do
    perfect form, hard PUSHOFFS, FAR GLIDEs, & GREAT STREAMLINES

STOP LEG WEIGHTS, REST YOUR LEGS

s 10/17 2000 4 fast 25's 2 fast 50's

s 10/18 OFF or easy 1500

m 10/19 1900 4 fast 25's 2 fast 50's medium lift

t 10/20 1800 4 fast 25's 1 fast 50

w 10/21 1700 3 fast 25's 2 fast 50's light lift

t 10/22 1600 2 fast 25's 1 fast 50

f 10/23 1500 2 fast 25's

s 10/24 1200 easy 1 or 2 fast 25's

I like this plan. The only exception is that I plan to take tomorrow off (as usual) and swim on Sunday instead. I will likely go to my team workout that day, and just skip 1/3 of the workout or so, maybe do 2500. My "lift" will also include some core work. But I do plan on a full week rest for the legs. I've been working hard since the Fall Ball, so my body could probably use a light week anyway.
  10. Day 45

5x100 FR@2:00
    300 Kick = 200 IM/BR - 100 FR w/fins
    200 Drill = 100 FR - 100 FL

25/50/75/100/100/75/50/25 Pull based on:30

10x50 Kick BR@1:15 No board, hands together in front of you, on the stomach going down, on the back coming back
    1-3 no fins
    4-6 Pos Drive fins
    7-10 Speedo fins

200 Easy

2200 SCY Indoors Solo
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Worsening Groin Disaster, Rated XM for Mature Medical

by , October 16th, 2009 at 12:42 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    I went to the doctor this morning, explained the situation about my time in the Wilderness, and the gradual appearance of a smallish lesion sometime after my return from the woods, and how this has steadily blossomed--in spite of, or perhaps because of--the various self-treatments I had tried (OTC anti-fungal foot creme; powerful cortisone creme for thumb fungus; scalding hot water dousing).

He had me drop my pants and Hog Sheathe to reveal the horrorshow lurking below. It now looks like an open stab wound, or some kind of attempt by my body to transform my gender against my will, or maybe like the first axe strike that will eventually lead to my left leg cracking and the need to cry "Timber" when the thing crashes on the ground, possibly making a sound, possibly not, depending on whether there is anyone around to hear it, and that person's philosophical leanings.

I'm getting off the track.

He looked at the lesion as I looked at his eyes. A doctor becomes steeled over the decades by human disgustingness, but this was of such a revolting caliber that I dare say even Edgar Allen Poe would have been moved to vomit at the sight of it.

First warning: you, too, will soon have the opportunity to see this in a coldly sterile medical photograph taken by me on my Logitech QuickCapture internet camera.

Do not look if you are underweight, for to look at this lesion as it has come to be over the course of the past few days is to virtually guarantee that you will lose both your appetite and your lunch.

Indeed, it's only a matter of time before the Jim Thornton Groin Catastrophe Pictorial Diet Plan catches on with startlets all throughout Southern California and its surrounding valleys and nooks.

So the doctor said, "It doesn't actually look like a fungus--more like an infection. Is it possible you might have been bitten by a tick?"

He proceeded to list a number of suspects he wanted to run titers for, including Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and/or other germs of the rickettsia group.

As Wikipedia sums up:

Rickettsia is a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genus"]genus[/ame] of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motility"]motile[/ame], Gram-negative, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endospore"]non-sporeforming[/ame], highly [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleomorphic"]pleomorphic[/ame] [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacterium"]bacteria[/ame] that can present as [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocci"]cocci[/ame] (0.1 μm in diameter), rods (14 μm long) or thread-like (10 μm long). [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obligate_intracellular_parasites"]Obligate intracellular parasites[/ame], the Rickettsia survival depends on entry, growth, and replication within the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytoplasm"]cytoplasm[/ame] of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eukaryote"]eukaryotic[/ame] host cells (typically endothelial cells).[1] Because of this, Rickettsia cannot live in artificial nutrient environments and are grown either in [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_tissue"]tissue[/ame] or [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embryo"]embryo[/ame] cultures (typically, chicken embryos are used). In the past they were regarded as microorganisms positioned somewhere between viruses and true [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacterium"]bacteria[/ame]. The majority of Rickettsia bacteria are susceptible to [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic"]antibiotics[/ame] of the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetracycline"]tetracycline[/ame] group.
    Rickettsia species are carried as [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite"]parasites[/ame] by many [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick"]ticks[/ame], [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flea"]fleas[/ame], and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lice"]lice[/ame], and cause [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease"]diseases[/ame] such as [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhus"]typhus[/ame], [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickettsialpox"]rickettsialpox[/ame], [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boutonneuse_fever"]Boutonneuse fever[/ame], African Tick Bite Fever, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_spotted_fever"]Rocky Mountain spotted fever[/ame], Australian Tick Typhus, Flinders Island Spotted Fever and Queensland Tick Typhus [2] in human beings. They have also been associated with a range of plant diseases. Like [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus"]viruses[/ame], they only grow inside living cells. The name rickettsia is often used for any member of the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickettsiales"]Rickettsiales[/ame]. They are thought to be the closest living relatives to bacteria that were the origin of the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondria"]mitochondria[/ame] organelle that exists inside most [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eukaryotic"]eukaryotic[/ame] cells.
    The method of growing Rickettsia in chicken embryos was invented by [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_William_Goodpasture"]Ernest William Goodpasture[/ame] and his colleagues at [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanderbilt_University"]Vanderbilt University[/ame] in the early 1930s.

How typically inane of me to have worried about misadventure with wolverines, pizzlies, and porcupines when the real threat were non sporeforming highly pleomorphic obligate intracellular parasites!

Warning number 2: do not look at my pictures if you are squeamish, prudish, or plagued a disturbing triumvirate of traits that include bed wetting, fire setting, and animal getting. These pictures will either greatly disturb you or enable you to begin acting on certain fantasies that are best left unacted upon. You have been warned twice!

My friend and swimming coach, Bill White, who in a recent comment about yesterday's vlog, Groin Disaster! ( http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=5894--less than 50 hits and no 5 star ratings yet--honestly, would it kill you to click on this link and revisit!) banned me from swimming practice till the Pierian Spring in my groin stops producing liquid, anyhow, Bill and I got to talking today after my new diagnosis, and I told him that I would love to be able to show my regular viewers what exactly it is that I am suffering so egregiously from, but due to its location and the family values of the USMS community at large, which doesn't take kindly to rickettsia in these parts, anyhow, I lamented that I couldn't do so without inviting complaints and the likelihood Jim Matysek would be recruited into taking such a graphic vlog down.

Bill came up with a great idea: simply cover over what EricOrca referred to as my "naughty bits" with a picture that provides a schematic sense of where the lesion is in relationship to a medically accurate if idealized anatomical drawing.

Which will make much more sense once you see it.

However, I must now issue Warning Number 3:

Do not read any further, nor examine in any way, least of all great detail (which can be done by holding down the ctrl key and tapping the + sign on PC's, not sure exactly how to zoom in on lesions on a Mac.)

Do not do this, please!

Furthermore, if you are a woman who has secretly been harboring unrequited romantic leanings towards me, you have reached something of a fork in the road here.

If you want to rid yourself forever of these tortured unrequited feelings, then looking will absolutely do the trick.

If, however, you find that fantasizing about me gives your life a sense of meaning it had never known before, and you are holding out hope for the 1 in 10,000 chance, nay, 1 in 1,000,000 chance the lesion will ultimately (as the doctor predicts) heal, then do NOT look at these pictures, for the night bell once rung can not be unrung, and Jim's Groin Disaster, Rated XM for Mature Medical, shall surely haunt you all the days of your life, and more!

Final warning.

Do not look.

The armamentarium now includes antibiotic ointment and antibiotic pills and bandaids to keep the poultice in place. The cortisone and antifungal cremes are no longer being used. The Wolverine Spirit God continues to be an important part of the incantations I speak when delirious.

Male patient, 57, wearing an item of garmentry sometimes referred to as "panties" by his women friends but which he himself calls the Hog Sheathe

Patient's suspected Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever lesion displayed beside an anatomically stylized locator graphic that keeps this photo from being erotic and instead renders it XM-rated for Mature Medical viewing only.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. FAST Fri OCT 16th, 2009, 1:52 200 FR

by , October 16th, 2009 at 12:16 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri OCT 16th, 2009
    weighed 217

Next MEET:
    2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships
    December 4th - 6th, 2009 at Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

48 Days till Long Beach

Todd here's the link to
    Eric "The Eel" Moussambani's 100 fr race at the 2000 Olympics
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zjCc_VyxM4"]YouTube - The Dream: Roy and HG on Eric 'The Eel' Moussambani[/ame]

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY no blocks
    6:30 - 8:00
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center main pool & diving well
    Swam with Brad, Marcio, beside tyler todd Larry & Max

WORE B70 Legs

warm up
    20 min choice
    did 100 free then 8 minutes of 50 free on 50 then the rest 50 free on 45

MAIN SET

50 fast
    went 24

100 easy

100 fast
    went 53 or 4

200 easy

200 fast
    went 1:55

400 easy

50 fast easy speed
    went 25

100 easy

100 fast easy speed
    went 57

200 easy

200 fast easy speed
    went 2:01

400 easy

skipped 50 fast

skipped 100 easy

skipped 100 fast

skipped 200 easy

PUT ON B70 FULL

200 fast
    went 1:52
    split it 26 29 29 28

2 beat kicked 125 6 beat kicked 75

100 easy

Updated October 16th, 2009 at 03:53 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. {Insert clever, eye catching title here}

by , October 16th, 2009 at 11:36 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Friday, 10/16/09

SCY, solo

300 swim free
    200 swim back
    300 pull choice (did 150 free/150 back)
    200 kick choice (did rev IM)

swim 6 x 50 free on :50, breathe every 3
    (held 40's on these)
    50 easy

swim 6 x 50 back on :55 w/10 SDK off each wall
    (held 45's a couple I only got 9 sdk)
    100 easy

swim 6 x 50 free on :50 breathe every 5
    (these were just a bit faster than the 1st, around 38-39)
    200 easy

swim 12x25 on 40 choice: every 3rd one all out
    (did 3 of each stroke, even breast)

swim down 450, a mix of back and free

--
    Total: 3000 yards

Updated October 16th, 2009 at 11:54 AM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Power and weight

by , October 16th, 2009 at 10:38 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Have lost a few pounds running which means I will have less weight to pull through the water. At the same time, I don't appear to be getting any stronger in the weight room. In fact, I may have lost strength. For everybody, there must be an optimal point where you don't pull more than you have to through the water, yet you are still strong. I wouldn't mind losing about 3 more pounds, but will it be the right 3 pounds? Will I compromise my power by doing so? Three pounds doesn't sound like much, but I am at a real close breaking point.

First, I think I will consider my diet. I haven't been eating frequently enough as I have been very busy lately. This may have resulted in some muscle loss. I first will try eating frequent small meals like I was doing this summer. Second, as October winds down, I likely will back off on my running as well. Running is great for dropping body fat, but it can get to a point where you lose muscle as well. I'll never forget when I stopped running regularly a few years ago. About six months later, a guy asked me if I was on steroids. LOL He said my thigh muscles had gotten huge. Always kind of wondered if that was a nice way to tell me that my thighs had gotten fat. LOL

Hit the weight room early this morning. Not my favorite time to hit the weights, but am feeling good now that I've gotten it done.

Lat hi row: 50 x 5, 90 x 3, 2 sets of 120 x 15

Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 5, 75 x 4, 85 x 3, 95 x 2, 100 x 1, 105 x 1, 95 x 2, 85 x 3, 75 x 4, 65 x 5, bar x 5

Triceps press: 2 sets of 40 x 15

Alt. hammer curls: 2 sets of 15 x 10

Military press: 2 sets of 40 x 15

Push-ups with bosu ball: 2 sets of 15

Bicycle crunches: 1 set of 100

Good morning darlings: 1 set of 25

Side crunches: 2 sets of 25

Back extensions: 1 set of 25
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. SNOWGA?

As I write this I am aboard Virgin America flt vx11 to SFO for a bit of swimming in the bay that includes a 10k Golden Gate to Bay Bridge swim tomorrow morning. The predicted water temperature is 55 - 57... no too bad and I'm hoping to get a couple of longer Aquatic Park swims in as well. The South End Rowing Club has a nice facility available for a post swim shower and sauna.... the latter I have grown to really appreciate, as someone explained, breathing in the heat quickly warms you from inside out. Day use fees are 6.50 and worth every penny. The old wooden rowing skulls that fill the lower level are worth the price of admission right there.
    http://www.south-end.org/
    I will be heading to Austin from SF on monday to take part in the 3rd annual Highland Lakes Challenge http://www.highlandlakeschallenge.com/
    hey, its not too ate to sign up!

On another note, its snowing back home...WTF!
    This means its is unlikely that there will be any more swims at my favorite lake as the water temp will be in the low 50's by the time I return home... and the 20 minute down-hill post swim bike ride will be rather unpleasant in 30 degree weather..... oh well. I think its time to engage in some cold "non swimming" conditioning like cold showers, semi-naked speed bag sessions on the deck, and maybe the next big thing........snowga?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Lonnngg Course YEAH!

by , October 16th, 2009 at 08:04 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    A nice long stretched out workout, just perfect for a rainy day.

100, 200, 300, 400 @:15R Free
    500 Free kick w/fins moderate
    500 kick w/fins streamline alt by 100 fly/back
    5x100@2:00 Free sprint from 15 meter mark in to turn and back out to 15 meter mark the rest is easy
    4x200@3:30 Free w/paddles & bouy keep it long on last 2 build the last 100
    200 Free EASY

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Groin Disaster!

by , October 15th, 2009 at 10:57 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Because my idiopathic (as yet) groin disaster is driving me batty with itching, tonight's vlog will be a bit simplified.

I will be adding no pictures or videos, which I think can only pale in comparison to what your imaginations can supply.

Moreover, I have lost too much sleep from the itching disturbing my sleep last night that I can't write more than a line or two of coherent prose.

Thus permit me to approach the topic of fungi invasion of the crease between my left teste and inner thigh, at the very top, the upper left vertex of the isoscelean Delta of Venus (were I a woman), or perhaps the eye bag under Pinocchio's left orb is a bit more like it (were I a man), during a rare moment of Pinocchioian truth-telling, for there is no lie I could tell in all god's firmament that would allow my nose to elongate right now, so fierce is the itching, where was I?--oh, yes, the forms with which I will approach tonight's topic succinctly:

• a haiku

• copied comments from my Facebook page, the other arena where I have been soliciting free medical advice, so far without any serious suppliers of same.

Part 1: Haiku

Itchy groin mis'ry
    Scalding water from the tap
    Short-lived abatement

Part 2: Facebook commentary

(I posted a link to yesterday's vlog-- http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=5875 ; Floyd and Barb both gave it a "like" rating. Then the following comments appeared over time)

Barb Weidner The ads are for jock itch and genital itch, lol.
    Yesterday at 8:18pm

Leslie Livingston Maybe the ads will give Jim good sources for effective unguents and creams ...
    Yesterday at 10:17pm

James Scott Thornton I think I need to get some Mycolog. Worked like a dream when I was younger.
    22 hours ago

Richard A Skerrett There are tablets you can take that kill from within.
    15 hours ago

James Scott Thornton Are they available in the US? The itch last night woke me up.
    12 hours ago

Leslie Livingston I'm sure they are, Jim, but you have to go to a doc to get a scrip. The tablets work much faster on nasty funguses.
    11 hours ago

Richard A Skerrett Definitely worth a visit to the doc. The tablets are most efficacious.
    11 hours ago

James Scott Thornton Doctor appointment: tomorrow, 8:45 a.m. Assuming, that is, that the fungus--like a seed pod from outer space--has not by then completely subsumed my entire being and called the doctor's office back and announced, "Cancel my appointment. Anti-fungals are no longer necessary."
    8 hours ago

Richard A Skerrett I think you have been reading too much science fiction. The fungus is a wily beast but has not evolved into a dialing organism yet - or has it? Maybe they have new strain in the Idaho wilderness.
    7 hours ago

James Scott Thornton Part fungus, part wolverine, part Jimbo DNA, and part pure monstrosity!
    7 hours ago

Jack Martin Fungus consists of millions of living organisms. As a form of life you should respect it's right to live and try to coexist with it! War against fungus is not the answer. Try to see the world through the fungi point of view! If the world didn't have fungus we wouldn't have penicillin!
    6 hours ago

James Scott Thornton I would love to find a PETA member who would come and scrape off every single little fungi from my groin and save same from the horrible death I am praying modern medicine will bring them...

You do raise a good point, though, Jack. I am being selfish, aren't I?

Yikes that itches!
    6 hours ago

Jack Martin "Selfish" is probably not the right analytical framework in this situation. I think we need to look at it through the cost benefit analysis which will be used in the new government health care package. Example: An 80 year old man needs a hip replacement for $100,000, he is only expected to live another 3-4 years, so a hip replacement is a waste... Read More of money. The money is better spent on psychological counseling for 100 career criminals, in order to convince them that rape, robbery and murder are, although an understandable reaction to their deprived childhoods, improper reactions to the stress of modern society.

In your case this analysis progresses as follows: Jim Thornton's groin; no value to society and little value even to him (57 years old, 2 kids, etc., his groin has done all it's ever gonna do). The value of a new form of fungus: heck for all we know, this particular strain may cure cancer! Result: the fungus lives, Jim's groin?
    3 hours ago

James Scott Thornton Jack, I can see why you are such an excellent prosecutor! A steady, rational, inarguable accumulation of factoids that lead to one inescapable conclusion:

cut out Jim's hip and give it to the old man, then let the 100 career criminals feast on what's left.
    15 minutes ago

Tom Patterson Just take out Bernie Madoff's hip, give it to the 80 year old and let the prisoners feast on what's left of Bernie Madoff's remains.
    11 minutes ago

James Scott long as we're dissecting Bernie, can I have his groin for transplant?

2 seconds ago

Epilogue...or prologue?

Doctor's appointment tomorrow at 8:45 a.m. Just took another scalding shower, a trick I learned for ameliorating (temporarily) the itch of poison ivy.

In addition to the original small lesion, that looked like one of those between-the-toes cracks you can get from Athlete's Foot, like a tiny smirking mouth, I now seem to have developed a major allergic reaction to cheap generic drug store anti fungal foot creme applied to the groin. I followed this up with heavy duty cortisone creme prescribed for a finger fungus, and this seemed to do nothing but further hamper my body's attempt to repel the little invaders. And now, exacerbating it all, third degree burns from the shower in an attempt--as the Japanese poets might put it--achieve the bliss of "short-lived abatement."

If I had the energy, I would try to add one further form of writing to tonight's vlog: the updated folk song.

I have only one line so far:

Where have all the groin doctors gone, long time passing?

Dr. Dixon! Where the hell are you with my free sample of nystatin-oxycontin mustard plaster?

Why hast thou forsaken me, Dr. Duxson?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Thursday

by , October 15th, 2009 at 10:01 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Had lots of fun at school today; one of those days you can't believe you get paid good money to do this for a living. A working class hero is something to be!
    I spent a couple hours after school trying to get pics off an xc website for Sarah's jumbo picture the team gives all seniors as a gift. I'm still working on it unsucessfully. I did manage to scan and send some baby pics and her senior pic. I am a computer outkast at times. I wish I had a week to just play with it (the comp) I think I could master it.
    Tonight was a Nasti night. I swam hard and got out early (skipped cool-down) so I could meet my son for some silken tofu. Here's the swim:

*500 Free warm-up swim
    *200 Dolphin Kick w/fins
    *300 Free on 5:00 int.
    *250 Free on 4:30 int.
    *200 Free on 3:30 int.
    *10 X 75 odds Free/evens IM on 1:30 int.
    *8 X 50 on 1;00 (I did 4 backstroke/4 Freestyle)
    2,600 SCY and off for tofu!

Updated October 15th, 2009 at 10:50 PM by Bobinator

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Thursday Swim

by , October 15th, 2009 at 08:15 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Late for warm-up again so used the first set as a warm-up.

10 x 100 - 50 drill, 50 swim on 20 seconds rest

10 x 50 free kick on 1:00

20 x 50 choice build on 15 seconds rest - did free

10 x 50 fly kick on 1:00

100 easy ( I got out early)

3,100 yards total
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Group Sprints @ GMU, Thursday, Oct. 15

by , October 15th, 2009 at 05:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY @ GMU

As Pete noted, we had a hard core group today at GMU for our now virtually routine High Intensity Thursdays: Speedo, Jazzy, Cage Fighter and me. (Next Thursday, however, we're skipping and lounging around to prep for the Sprint Classic.) I really hope Jazzy can keep joining us, though it's a bit far from where he works.

Warm up:

700 variety

8 x 50 @ 1:15
    25 UW shooter on back (no fins) + 25 EZ

50 EZ

Speed work:

8 x 75 @ 3:00, done as:

25 AFAP w/fins + 50 EZ

I did 4 free and 4 back SDK. Went high 10s and one low 11 on free and 10s on back. I attribute the low 11 on #3 (where Speedo and I had a rare tie :-P) to chatting with Jazzy too much and not being quite ready to go at the send off. So I was not such a slacker on the next one. I think Jazzy loafed all the 25s to prep for his 1 x 50.

100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP free w/fins

I did free diving from the side. This is NOT a good idea with fins. I got no real push and had a terrible start. Should have just pushed off. Went low 24. Because it was so sub-par, I swam another 100 EZ and tried another 50 AFAP.

100 EZ

1 x 50 back w/fins

This time I missed the turn and almost hit my heels on the top of the wall, so just cruised the second 25.

200 EZ

Total: 2150

Hottub 15 min of non-stop Q & A ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Felt somewhat tired before the sprint session today, and now I feel pretty dead. The combo of weights-plyo-sprinting-hot yoga is pretty tiring. The yoga seems great for flexibility, but I think it works the legs quite a bit too -- the first 45-60 minutes are all standing poses. Speedo and I discussed the flexibility issue briefly. He says there's a portion of Salo's book on this topic, so I need to read that.

I'm still mulling over exactly how much to rest for the Sprint Classic -- even though some clowns seem to think the CDVB plan is not amenable to a "taper." I could do a gradual 10 day taper (starting tomorrow) or a 5 or 3 day drop taper. I am only considering the 10 day because this could be my last yards meet in my magic suit. However, I would then have to repeat this rest for my Dec 6-7 Zones meet and re-start weights et al, and the prospect of two such tapers is, ugh, very unappealing. I will most likely do the 5 day taper and stop weights after tomorrow. I will be a puppet and not do a 7 day taper since Clydesdale says that's exactly the WRONG amount of time to rest, and I think he may be correct on this point.

I was grilled in the hottub and pool by Cage Fighter. Currently, he's a sprinter doing distance workouts and needs to revise his training plan to add more race pace work and kicking. He reminds me of me a few years ago when I really didn't know WTF I was doing in the pool with solo training. We encouraged him to get on the DF and look through the blogs. I told him to look for the sprinter blogs and Ande's blog (if he's not doing 60 x 100s) and use the Ask Ande thread or start his own thread. We thought Cage Fighter would make a lovely forum name. (He had apparently tried to browse the forums/blogs, but didn't realize we all had special user names.)

SCM Meets:

I'm probably not going to our very first local fall SCM meet. . This apparently unduly interferes with family Thanksgiving plans. I'm in the doghouse at the moment with my meet dates interfering with RL dates. If I have to skip that meet, I'll go to Zones for two days. (And then piss my kid off by missing most of the Dolan meet, though her best event is on Friday. But since she's totally out of swimming shape from her volleyball escapades, the mommy guilt will be minimized somewhat.)

Metro finally has the info for Zones up. As per usual, all my best events are back to back. I wonder if the rampant discrimination against fly-backers will ever end?! (Seriously, it's almost comical.) I'm very very glad I swam the 100 back and 100 fly at the Albatross Meet, as I can't do them at Zones. Still, I would've liked to get another crack at the 100 back at a champ meet. All the sprints are crammed together on day 1 and 2 as well. Here's the Order of Events:

Saturday AM:
    (distance events in the afternoon, lucky ducks!)

200 breast
    50 back
    100 fly
    100 free
    50 breast
    200 back
    100 IM

Sunday AM:

200 fly
    100 breast
    50 free
    200 IM
    100 back
    50 fly
    200 free

Based on this line up, I'll probably swim the 50 back, 50 breast, 100 IM, 50 free and 50 fly. I wish the 50 back wasn't the first event, as I usually need an event to get the cobwebs out. But c'est la vie.

Here's the psych sheet for the Rowdy Gaines SCM meet this weekend:

http://www.swimorlando.com/wp-conten...ych-sheet2.pdf

Shoulder Exercise:

Here's a shoulder exercise that Jazz posted. Just wanted to link it here as well, as it looks helpful.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/6997-ho...o-90-time.html

Updated October 15th, 2009 at 09:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts