View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. SNOWGA?

As I write this I am aboard Virgin America flt vx11 to SFO for a bit of swimming in the bay that includes a 10k Golden Gate to Bay Bridge swim tomorrow morning. The predicted water temperature is 55 - 57... no too bad and I'm hoping to get a couple of longer Aquatic Park swims in as well. The South End Rowing Club has a nice facility available for a post swim shower and sauna.... the latter I have grown to really appreciate, as someone explained, breathing in the heat quickly warms you from inside out. Day use fees are 6.50 and worth every penny. The old wooden rowing skulls that fill the lower level are worth the price of admission right there.
    http://www.south-end.org/
    I will be heading to Austin from SF on monday to take part in the 3rd annual Highland Lakes Challenge http://www.highlandlakeschallenge.com/
    hey, its not too ate to sign up!

On another note, its snowing back home...WTF!
    This means its is unlikely that there will be any more swims at my favorite lake as the water temp will be in the low 50's by the time I return home... and the 20 minute down-hill post swim bike ride will be rather unpleasant in 30 degree weather..... oh well. I think its time to engage in some cold "non swimming" conditioning like cold showers, semi-naked speed bag sessions on the deck, and maybe the next big thing........snowga?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Lonnngg Course YEAH!

by , October 16th, 2009 at 08:04 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    A nice long stretched out workout, just perfect for a rainy day.

100, 200, 300, 400 @:15R Free
    500 Free kick w/fins moderate
    500 kick w/fins streamline alt by 100 fly/back
    5x100@2:00 Free sprint from 15 meter mark in to turn and back out to 15 meter mark the rest is easy
    4x200@3:30 Free w/paddles & bouy keep it long on last 2 build the last 100
    200 Free EASY

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Groin Disaster!

by , October 15th, 2009 at 10:57 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Because my idiopathic (as yet) groin disaster is driving me batty with itching, tonight's vlog will be a bit simplified.

I will be adding no pictures or videos, which I think can only pale in comparison to what your imaginations can supply.

Moreover, I have lost too much sleep from the itching disturbing my sleep last night that I can't write more than a line or two of coherent prose.

Thus permit me to approach the topic of fungi invasion of the crease between my left teste and inner thigh, at the very top, the upper left vertex of the isoscelean Delta of Venus (were I a woman), or perhaps the eye bag under Pinocchio's left orb is a bit more like it (were I a man), during a rare moment of Pinocchioian truth-telling, for there is no lie I could tell in all god's firmament that would allow my nose to elongate right now, so fierce is the itching, where was I?--oh, yes, the forms with which I will approach tonight's topic succinctly:

• a haiku

• copied comments from my Facebook page, the other arena where I have been soliciting free medical advice, so far without any serious suppliers of same.

Part 1: Haiku

Itchy groin mis'ry
    Scalding water from the tap
    Short-lived abatement

Part 2: Facebook commentary

(I posted a link to yesterday's vlog-- http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=5875 ; Floyd and Barb both gave it a "like" rating. Then the following comments appeared over time)

Barb Weidner The ads are for jock itch and genital itch, lol.
    Yesterday at 8:18pm

Leslie Livingston Maybe the ads will give Jim good sources for effective unguents and creams ...
    Yesterday at 10:17pm

James Scott Thornton I think I need to get some Mycolog. Worked like a dream when I was younger.
    22 hours ago

Richard A Skerrett There are tablets you can take that kill from within.
    15 hours ago

James Scott Thornton Are they available in the US? The itch last night woke me up.
    12 hours ago

Leslie Livingston I'm sure they are, Jim, but you have to go to a doc to get a scrip. The tablets work much faster on nasty funguses.
    11 hours ago

Richard A Skerrett Definitely worth a visit to the doc. The tablets are most efficacious.
    11 hours ago

James Scott Thornton Doctor appointment: tomorrow, 8:45 a.m. Assuming, that is, that the fungus--like a seed pod from outer space--has not by then completely subsumed my entire being and called the doctor's office back and announced, "Cancel my appointment. Anti-fungals are no longer necessary."
    8 hours ago

Richard A Skerrett I think you have been reading too much science fiction. The fungus is a wily beast but has not evolved into a dialing organism yet - or has it? Maybe they have new strain in the Idaho wilderness.
    7 hours ago

James Scott Thornton Part fungus, part wolverine, part Jimbo DNA, and part pure monstrosity!
    7 hours ago

Jack Martin Fungus consists of millions of living organisms. As a form of life you should respect it's right to live and try to coexist with it! War against fungus is not the answer. Try to see the world through the fungi point of view! If the world didn't have fungus we wouldn't have penicillin!
    6 hours ago

James Scott Thornton I would love to find a PETA member who would come and scrape off every single little fungi from my groin and save same from the horrible death I am praying modern medicine will bring them...

You do raise a good point, though, Jack. I am being selfish, aren't I?

Yikes that itches!
    6 hours ago

Jack Martin "Selfish" is probably not the right analytical framework in this situation. I think we need to look at it through the cost benefit analysis which will be used in the new government health care package. Example: An 80 year old man needs a hip replacement for $100,000, he is only expected to live another 3-4 years, so a hip replacement is a waste... Read More of money. The money is better spent on psychological counseling for 100 career criminals, in order to convince them that rape, robbery and murder are, although an understandable reaction to their deprived childhoods, improper reactions to the stress of modern society.

In your case this analysis progresses as follows: Jim Thornton's groin; no value to society and little value even to him (57 years old, 2 kids, etc., his groin has done all it's ever gonna do). The value of a new form of fungus: heck for all we know, this particular strain may cure cancer! Result: the fungus lives, Jim's groin?
    3 hours ago

James Scott Thornton Jack, I can see why you are such an excellent prosecutor! A steady, rational, inarguable accumulation of factoids that lead to one inescapable conclusion:

cut out Jim's hip and give it to the old man, then let the 100 career criminals feast on what's left.
    15 minutes ago

Tom Patterson Just take out Bernie Madoff's hip, give it to the 80 year old and let the prisoners feast on what's left of Bernie Madoff's remains.
    11 minutes ago

James Scott long as we're dissecting Bernie, can I have his groin for transplant?

2 seconds ago

Epilogue...or prologue?

Doctor's appointment tomorrow at 8:45 a.m. Just took another scalding shower, a trick I learned for ameliorating (temporarily) the itch of poison ivy.

In addition to the original small lesion, that looked like one of those between-the-toes cracks you can get from Athlete's Foot, like a tiny smirking mouth, I now seem to have developed a major allergic reaction to cheap generic drug store anti fungal foot creme applied to the groin. I followed this up with heavy duty cortisone creme prescribed for a finger fungus, and this seemed to do nothing but further hamper my body's attempt to repel the little invaders. And now, exacerbating it all, third degree burns from the shower in an attempt--as the Japanese poets might put it--achieve the bliss of "short-lived abatement."

If I had the energy, I would try to add one further form of writing to tonight's vlog: the updated folk song.

I have only one line so far:

Where have all the groin doctors gone, long time passing?

Dr. Dixon! Where the hell are you with my free sample of nystatin-oxycontin mustard plaster?

Why hast thou forsaken me, Dr. Duxson?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Thursday

by , October 15th, 2009 at 10:01 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Had lots of fun at school today; one of those days you can't believe you get paid good money to do this for a living. A working class hero is something to be!
    I spent a couple hours after school trying to get pics off an xc website for Sarah's jumbo picture the team gives all seniors as a gift. I'm still working on it unsucessfully. I did manage to scan and send some baby pics and her senior pic. I am a computer outkast at times. I wish I had a week to just play with it (the comp) I think I could master it.
    Tonight was a Nasti night. I swam hard and got out early (skipped cool-down) so I could meet my son for some silken tofu. Here's the swim:

*500 Free warm-up swim
    *200 Dolphin Kick w/fins
    *300 Free on 5:00 int.
    *250 Free on 4:30 int.
    *200 Free on 3:30 int.
    *10 X 75 odds Free/evens IM on 1:30 int.
    *8 X 50 on 1;00 (I did 4 backstroke/4 Freestyle)
    2,600 SCY and off for tofu!

Updated October 15th, 2009 at 10:50 PM by Bobinator

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Thursday Swim

by , October 15th, 2009 at 08:15 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Late for warm-up again so used the first set as a warm-up.

10 x 100 - 50 drill, 50 swim on 20 seconds rest

10 x 50 free kick on 1:00

20 x 50 choice build on 15 seconds rest - did free

10 x 50 fly kick on 1:00

100 easy ( I got out early)

3,100 yards total
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Group Sprints @ GMU, Thursday, Oct. 15

by , October 15th, 2009 at 05:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY @ GMU

As Pete noted, we had a hard core group today at GMU for our now virtually routine High Intensity Thursdays: Speedo, Jazzy, Cage Fighter and me. (Next Thursday, however, we're skipping and lounging around to prep for the Sprint Classic.) I really hope Jazzy can keep joining us, though it's a bit far from where he works.

Warm up:

700 variety

8 x 50 @ 1:15
    25 UW shooter on back (no fins) + 25 EZ

50 EZ

Speed work:

8 x 75 @ 3:00, done as:

25 AFAP w/fins + 50 EZ

I did 4 free and 4 back SDK. Went high 10s and one low 11 on free and 10s on back. I attribute the low 11 on #3 (where Speedo and I had a rare tie :-P) to chatting with Jazzy too much and not being quite ready to go at the send off. So I was not such a slacker on the next one. I think Jazzy loafed all the 25s to prep for his 1 x 50.

100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP free w/fins

I did free diving from the side. This is NOT a good idea with fins. I got no real push and had a terrible start. Should have just pushed off. Went low 24. Because it was so sub-par, I swam another 100 EZ and tried another 50 AFAP.

100 EZ

1 x 50 back w/fins

This time I missed the turn and almost hit my heels on the top of the wall, so just cruised the second 25.

200 EZ

Total: 2150

Hottub 15 min of non-stop Q & A ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Felt somewhat tired before the sprint session today, and now I feel pretty dead. The combo of weights-plyo-sprinting-hot yoga is pretty tiring. The yoga seems great for flexibility, but I think it works the legs quite a bit too -- the first 45-60 minutes are all standing poses. Speedo and I discussed the flexibility issue briefly. He says there's a portion of Salo's book on this topic, so I need to read that.

I'm still mulling over exactly how much to rest for the Sprint Classic -- even though some clowns seem to think the CDVB plan is not amenable to a "taper." I could do a gradual 10 day taper (starting tomorrow) or a 5 or 3 day drop taper. I am only considering the 10 day because this could be my last yards meet in my magic suit. However, I would then have to repeat this rest for my Dec 6-7 Zones meet and re-start weights et al, and the prospect of two such tapers is, ugh, very unappealing. I will most likely do the 5 day taper and stop weights after tomorrow. I will be a puppet and not do a 7 day taper since Clydesdale says that's exactly the WRONG amount of time to rest, and I think he may be correct on this point.

I was grilled in the hottub and pool by Cage Fighter. Currently, he's a sprinter doing distance workouts and needs to revise his training plan to add more race pace work and kicking. He reminds me of me a few years ago when I really didn't know WTF I was doing in the pool with solo training. We encouraged him to get on the DF and look through the blogs. I told him to look for the sprinter blogs and Ande's blog (if he's not doing 60 x 100s) and use the Ask Ande thread or start his own thread. We thought Cage Fighter would make a lovely forum name. (He had apparently tried to browse the forums/blogs, but didn't realize we all had special user names.)

SCM Meets:

I'm probably not going to our very first local fall SCM meet. . This apparently unduly interferes with family Thanksgiving plans. I'm in the doghouse at the moment with my meet dates interfering with RL dates. If I have to skip that meet, I'll go to Zones for two days. (And then piss my kid off by missing most of the Dolan meet, though her best event is on Friday. But since she's totally out of swimming shape from her volleyball escapades, the mommy guilt will be minimized somewhat.)

Metro finally has the info for Zones up. As per usual, all my best events are back to back. I wonder if the rampant discrimination against fly-backers will ever end?! (Seriously, it's almost comical.) I'm very very glad I swam the 100 back and 100 fly at the Albatross Meet, as I can't do them at Zones. Still, I would've liked to get another crack at the 100 back at a champ meet. All the sprints are crammed together on day 1 and 2 as well. Here's the Order of Events:

Saturday AM:
    (distance events in the afternoon, lucky ducks!)

200 breast
    50 back
    100 fly
    100 free
    50 breast
    200 back
    100 IM

Sunday AM:

200 fly
    100 breast
    50 free
    200 IM
    100 back
    50 fly
    200 free

Based on this line up, I'll probably swim the 50 back, 50 breast, 100 IM, 50 free and 50 fly. I wish the 50 back wasn't the first event, as I usually need an event to get the cobwebs out. But c'est la vie.

Here's the psych sheet for the Rowdy Gaines SCM meet this weekend:

http://www.swimorlando.com/wp-conten...ych-sheet2.pdf

Shoulder Exercise:

Here's a shoulder exercise that Jazz posted. Just wanted to link it here as well, as it looks helpful.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/6997-ho...o-90-time.html

Updated October 15th, 2009 at 09:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Thu OCT 15th, 2009, did 6k today

by , October 15th, 2009 at 11:33 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu OCT 15th, 2009
    weighed 213

Next MEET:
    2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships
    December 4th - 6th, 2009 at Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

49 Days till Long Beach

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY no blocks
    6:30 - 8:00
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center diving well
    Swam with Brandon Marsh, Larry & Tara Castro
    Beside tyler todd ned & jon

WORE lycra brief

today I walked on the pool deck
    clock was on the :30 sec
    folks were diving in on the top
    the board said 60 x 100 on 1:20, the first 9 was our warm up.
    I grabbed my gogs tied my suit & dove in 2nd on the :05

warm up & main set

60 x 100 or 75 or 50 on 1:20
    we did 6 rounds of 10 x 100's
    inx: 9 aerobic hold a pace, then 1 fast,
    we got 20 sec extra rest before the fast 100 but that was it. did the whole set free swim went around 1:00 on the fast ones

round 1 held 10's did 3 SDKs off the 3rd turn

rounds 2 - 5 held 1:05's - 1:07's did 3 SDKs off 3rd wall in round 2 then switched into survival mode, often did 1 SDK

round 6 held 1:09's - 11's (hurting)

on all the sets I concentrated on pushing off hard and gliding far off each turn

We got an extra minute & a half rest before the last fast one,
    dove,
    went 56

I did every 100 of this set, it's the most I've done in quite a while, was so tempted to skip or reduce but didn't

Whitney said she was waiting for me to break & I didn't.

this work out totally goes against my plans to be a sprinter, but it fits right in with my desire to lose weight. I weighed 213 after practice
    Plus I wanted to see if I could make it

100 easy warm down

Updated October 15th, 2009 at 11:41 AM by ande

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. R & R

by , October 15th, 2009 at 11:28 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    10/15/09

Easy day today, a welcome break.

SCY, Solo

500 swim free alt. 75 free/25 drill choice
    400 swim alt. 50 free/50 back
    300 kick w/zoomers alt. 50 free/50 fly
    200 IM alt. drill/swim
    200 pull no free
    300 swim alt. 25 free/25 breast
    4x100 IM w/5 sec. rest
    pull 3x150 free breathing 3/5 by 25
    50 easy
    --

I didn't keep track of times on this, just swam through it and enjoyed myself.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Tempting Fate

by , October 15th, 2009 at 07:28 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    With my right shoulder still acting up I still decided to work on my backstroke. This is what set my shoulder off about a month and a half ago. Survived and was very careful but still had some speed which is good.

8x100@1:45 Free #3&6 Back
    200 Free EASY and long
    5x100@1:40 Free kick w/fins moderate pace
    6x100@:05R Back w/fins #1&4 fashion model, #2&5 partial recovery, #3&6 underwater recovery
    10x50@:55 Back w/paddles
    5x100@1:50 as 50 Free/50 Back
    500 Free as 100 swim/drill/swim/drill/swim

Total 3600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Some improvements to Union Mines Pool

by , October 15th, 2009 at 06:30 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Some of the improvements I noticed today at the Outdoor Union Mine HS Pool:
    1. Backstroke flags are gone (Great for developing a "feel" for the turns)
    2. Another lane line damaged by the Ponderosa High School "Animal House" water polo team.
    3. Pool temp was a robust 76 degrees (felt like 75), due to aforementioned animals not covering the pool when they finished.
    4. And they fixed the second outdoor shower, that's been offline since last winter...It had hot water to boot

I was late to practice..
    Aquasol

Warm 200
    500 continuous kick w/board
    500 FR (3 strokes n/b after turns) did 7:00 2-3 SDK's off wall's (was trying to be slow and speed through the turns)
    4x50 K fly on back SDK
    10x50 Fly 1:15 really bit the dust here! could not get coordinated. Coach gave me some homework drills to get that second kick timed just right.

100 cool

A mere 2000 SCY
    I think the workout continued with 10x50's in all strokes, but we didn't have time and although I could stay another half hour I had to leave by 6:30 to get to work by 7:00pm.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Run + Weights

by , October 14th, 2009 at 08:20 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the treadmill for some HIIT. Did a total of 3 miles as follows:

Warm-up: 1 mile at 9:14

1 mile - alternate 45 seconds at 6:40 per mile pace with 45 seconds at 12:00 per mile pace

1 mile cool-down at 10 minute per mile pace

Immediately hit the weights and did the following:

Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 15, 75 x 10, 85 x 5

Lat hi row: 50 x 5, 100 x 5, 2 sets of 120 x 15

Alt. hammer curls: 2 sets of 15 x 10

Triceps pull-downs: 2 sets fo 30 x 15

Core work:

1 set of 100 bicycles

1 set of 50 good morning darlings

2 sets of 25 side crunches

2 sets of 25 crunches with Swiss ball

1 set of 25 back extensions

1 set of 25 leg lifts
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Solo Wednesday @ LA Fitness

by , October 14th, 2009 at 07:02 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I hurried after school to LA Fitness so I could get a workout in and meet my son Rob for supper. I had a lane to myself most of the time. The water seemed a bit cooler tonight; very weird since a large noodler class was to start at 6:00 pm.
    Here's the workout:
    *5 X 200 free (start on 3:50 and descend interval :10 seconds each swim)
    *Small Kick mountain w/fins (100-75-50-25) all flutter :30 per 25
    *8 X 100 Freestyle (start on 2:00 interval and descend :5 seconds each interval) hard at the end!
    *Small Kick mountain No Fins and same as above.
    *4 X (100 IM followed by 4 x 25 on :30 IM stroke order)
    3,100 SCY

Thank goodness today is Wednesday, hump day is over! Next week is a short week at school. They are giving us all day Wednesday as a teacher work day. Strange
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Wilderness Update Plus News About My Fungus

by , October 14th, 2009 at 05:36 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Upon my return from the Wilderness, I brought back the following types of data:

• 27 minutes of footage from a borrowed Sanyo camcorder I was unable to download onto my PC but my son was able, eventually, to download onto his Mac. It's not the greatest quality footage, and the sound and the video are not well synchronized, giving the whole thing the flavor of a 50s era Japanese Mothra movie set, for inexplicable reasons, in the Rocky Mountains. Still, this footage represents my first day and a half in the wilderness, so I want to get this up before the subsequent serial installments. I think Jack can fix the audio-video dissynchrony and post the various installments on You Tube for me, since I have no idea how to do this with Mac software. However, getting him to do it in a timely fashion is proving difficult.

• Nearly 60 minutes of Flip Ultra video, which is on my PC, and I can upload, but I am waiting for the first stuff first so as to be minimally confusing to what I suspect with be the paucity of vlog viewers who end up making the Big Commitment to watching the entire Jim de la Selva Americana mini-series.

• Approximately 3 hours and 59 minutes of high quality digital stereo audio of me talking, talking, talking, weeping, screaming, laughing, singing, gnashing, stuttering, grunting, laboring, telling bears to scat, and for a very short time, yodeling in the alpine meadows.

• 489 still photographs, many of them featuring me in various poses, almost always providing some sort of scruffian variation of the Blue Steel look pioneered by Derrick Zoolander

• my precious memories of my personal resourcefulness and heroism from the lengthy ordeal, memories that can not ever be taken away or repudiated since I was the only one there and I shall not, will not, dispute any facts that I say occurred. I suppose some neurological researcher somewhere could hook me up to a fMRI to see if he can find any unusual activity patterns among the neurons of my brain's LBL, or Lying Bastard Lobes. But I will vigorously resist any such unlawful invasions of my body and mind and alleged soul with all the vehemence I can muster

• a fungus that appears to have taken up residence on the left side of my groin. This may be the result of wearing the same pair of underwear briefs for five consecutive days and nights without taking them off, days and nights in which my nether regions were kept continuously irrigated by my own copious sweat production, dribblings of potable water rendered nonpotable by my kidneys, nocturnal clamminess inside the dank tent chamber and perhaps stoked by my readings of dread-inducing Stephen King, and regular dousings by creek water, rain water, and the odd melting snowflake.

A fungus, of course, was not my initial diagnosis. I was pretty sure at first that I had once again contracted VPDC, one of the most common conditions known to men like me, and the women who love us. Well, pretty much just men like me.

Despite how common it is, there is little if any research money available for its study, a consequence of the puritanism of the previous administration. There is also no cure for VPDC, or Venereal Punishment Disease Cancer. Among teenagers who practice excessive onanism, VPCD can lead to blindness, hair on the palms, and loss in a faith in a benevolent God (though paradoxically strengthening belief in a Horribly Vengeful One.)

Thank god, my swimming coach Bill White told me he was pretty sure I had a fungus infection and not VPDC. He recommended an anti-fungal creme applied twice a day for the rest of my life or a week, which ever came first.

It appears to be working. After three applications, the itch of this lesion has gone from merely maddening to Kierkegaardian. Evidently, the poison has caused the fungi to begin fighting for their lives, like daemons resisting extgermination by Max Von Sydow's Holy Water.

The nonhuman, nonplant miscreants (what exactly are fungi anyhow?) are now Linda Blairing me furiously every waking hour, and I must tie my wandering hands to the bedposts at night to keep from scratching myself into a eunuch in my sleep!

I plan to take my small tube of generic antifungal foot creme (what is the male groin if not a kind of third foot anyhow? one upon which we belly-crawl the earth, leaving a slime trail, impossibly desirable manly molluscs humping our way towards the little females of our kind!) to swimming practice tonight, and then afterward cauterize the area with yet another slather of exorcistic unguent!

How I imagine the mushrooms will scream then!

By the way, here is a picture of what Jock itch, also called tinea cruris or ringworm of the groin, looks like:

Here, on the other hand, is what the Wilderness looks like:

Coincidence that these two species of groin-stabbing pointy entities should look like identical twins?

I don't think so.

In fact, I have concluded that my itch is less the result of an infection per se, and more a case of the wilderness spirit claiming official possession over what has always been one of the wildest, least ruly zones of my body.

There is a River of No Return somewhere out there in central Idaho.

Now there is a much less famous, but equally wild, River of No Return somewhere inside my recently changed undies, as well.

Wild they are, both of them, and leading nowhere you want to be. But, god help you, you cannot resist going!

With luck, I will be able to begin posting footage very soon. Show of hands, please! How many want to see everything I can possibly show you?

All righty then! It's unanimous!

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Wed., Oct. 14

by , October 14th, 2009 at 04:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Hot Yoga:

Made it to class #5. I seem a tad more flexible already. And I'm really glad my transverse colon is apparently getting a massage. lol. It still seems somewhat exhausting and harder to exercise afterward. I guess at some point it's supposed to shift from exhausting to refreshing ...

I also had a bit of an internal chuckle when the instructor said that we were "flushing out scar tissue." Getting a little carried away there!

I was wondering why Bikram studios must be carpeted and found this:

http://staffordstreethotyoga.com/bikramyoga.htm
    http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....-choudhur.html

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Kicking Sets:

5 x (50 UW cruiser shooter w/fins + 15 pullouts) @ 1:15
    1 breath at the the turn

100 EZ

5 x vertical kick @ 1:15
    30 seconds with hands at side, 10 seconds in streamline, squat jump off bottom (12 ft deep), 20 seconds rest

50 EZ

5 x (25 AFAP shooter on back w/fins + 50 EZ)

75 EZ

Other Speed Work:

3 x 150, done as:

25 EZ speed power fly + 25 EZ DAB + 25 AFAP doggy paddle + 25 EZ DAB + 50 free EZ

100 EZ

1 x 50 fly AFAP w/fins (25ish)

200 EZ

100 scull

Total: 2350 + VK-ing + 75 pullouts

My ass and hammies are a bit sore from the plyos, lunging, and squatting. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but they feel tighter/stronger with this new regimen. (And I'm sure my ass is probably getting bigger too. )

Found this site, which has loads of plyo info:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometric.html

Hoping to swim with both Speedo and Jazzy at noon at GMU tomorrow!

My son just came home from cross country practice with an ankle sprain all taped up and iced. Could ruin the end of his cross country season for the second year in a row. Flexy ankles are so easy to sprain ... (Been there, done that.)

Meanwhile, Mr. Fort, who has been battling a hip injury forever, just had an MRI. He may have some labral tearing around his hip socket. His doctor said PRP was a possibility. I hope he doesn't need surgery b/c he would be just impossible to live with!

Injuries suck!!!

Updated October 14th, 2009 at 08:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  15. Day 44

200 Swim
    6x50 FR@1:00

400 Kick Alt IM/FRx50

2x25/1x50@1:00

25 Easy/25 Fast/25 Easy/25 Fast@1:10

w/fins@1:00
    50 Easy/25 Fast
    25 Fast/50 Easy
    50 Fast/25 Easy
    75 Fast

4x25 Scull@1:00

200 Easy

1700 SCY Indoors Solo
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Wed OCT 14th, 2009, BEST 25 SDK this season

by , October 14th, 2009 at 12:03 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed OCT 14th, 2009
    weighed 215

Next MEET:
    2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships
    December 4th - 6th, 2009 at Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

50 Days till Long Beach

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY no blocks
    6:30 - 8:00
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center main pool
    Swam with Larry Ned & Nate
    Beside tyler amy & erin

WORE lycra brief

Warm-up
    300 fr
    4 x 25 fl dr
    300 fr
    4 x 25 bk
    300 k
    4 x 25 br

Main Set

20 x 100 on 1:30 aerobic pace, choice no free
    did them all 50 bk 50 br
    held 1:16 - 1:18

assigned: 20 x 100 on 1:30 fins
    4 k, 1 choice fast
    did: NO FINS
    round 1 correctly
    from round 2 on Whitney gave us 30 sec extra rest before the fast 100's
    round 2 50 k on 100's, 100 fr fast went 1:00
    round 3 50 k on 100's, 100 fr fast went 56 dove
    round 4 50 k on 1 & 2, got out on 3 & 4 to put on B70 legskin 100 fast went 52
    tyler the miler crushed me on these, but he wore fins, he went 47 on the last one

100 easy

25 SDK FAST
    roll start
    whitney timed
    went 10.1
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Wednesday fun

by , October 14th, 2009 at 11:39 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    10/14/09

This one kicked my butt!!

SCY, solo

400 swim free
    300 IM drill
    200 pull choice
    (did 100 free/100 back)

swim 3 sets of 6 x 75:
    descend 1-3 and 4-6.
    Set 1 free on 1:10
    (forgot I was supposed to descend until the 2nd 3 went 1:00 for 1-3, then 1:03-1:00)
    set 2 free/fly/free by 25 on 1:20
    (1:10->1:05)
    set 3 all back on 1:30
    (1:07-1:02)

50 easy

kick 8 x 50 on 1:00 w/fins if needed to make the interval
    (my goal here was to make the set without fins. started around 52 and was around 57 by #8.)

100 swim down
    --
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Seriously?

It seems everytime I start to get back on track and am feeling good a $h*t storm of stuff happens that prevents me from continuing on.

I walk out to my car at 4:50am and see my dome light is on ... hmmm ... don't remember even turing it on but okay. Fortunately my car still started and started again after practice so it seems my little mistake is not taking a toll.

I am however sick again!?! WTF?!

I'm thinking of calling the doctor this afternoon. Maybe I just need a round of antibiotics to kick this crap out of me. Headache, sore throat, stuffy nose, chest congestion, etc.

Was a bit late and missed most of warm-up did a 200

3 x (6 x 75)
    Round 1 - Free on 1:10
    Round 2 - Fr, Stroke, Fr on 1:20
    Round 3 - Stroke, Fr, Stroke on 1:30

Did miss a few but did most of them. Went fly on all of the 2nd round, did fly and some breast on round 3.

8 x 50 kick on 1:00 ... we are not going to talk about how pathetic those were ...

Did some great dryland last night. Tons of core work. Squats, bicycles, tricep extensions with bands, bicep curls, rows, bosu squat/twists, "captain's chair" ab work, etc.

I am hoping to swim tomorrow depending on how my head feels and am planning on swimming on Saturday for sure.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. A bit boring today Sorry!

by , October 14th, 2009 at 07:41 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I was still stiff and took a lot to get moving. I was thinking of doing the 100's pull on 1:30 but with one muscle giving me fits I decided to ease up and go on the 1:40 today.

10x100@2:00 Free 1/2pull 1/2kick
    500 free w/fins kick
    500 fly w/fins kick work abs (this was the one thing I could do great)
    10x100@1:40 Free w/paddles & bouy kept it long
    500 Free every 4th 25 drill

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Short Tuesday

by , October 13th, 2009 at 10:41 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Nasti's tonight at Noblesville HS. The practice was 45 minutes long! I thought about doing more but my body felt done....so I stopped.
    Here's the workout:
    *500 free Warm-up
    *200 Dolphin Kick on Back
    *5 X 100 Free on 1:45
    *3 X 200 free (Rest 10 sec between each 50. Subtract :30 sec for 200 time. Done on 3:30 interval I think)
    *8 X 50 IM Roll on 1:00 interval Swim down/Kick back.
    *100 IM sprint
    *200 Back Smooth swim
    2,500 scy

I can't wait to see the "Amelia" movie. Amelia Earhardt was one of my hero's when I was growing up. Hillary Swank/Rickard Gere are the female/male leads. I hope it's not hokey.

Over 800 kids out sick with the flu at CHS on Monday. I heard 25% shuts the building down; they were 200 short of that. We have had a couple teachers out for 3 weeks at my building. It must be a wicked bug.
    Categories
    Uncategorized