View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Adding the legs back slowly

by , April 20th, 2010 at 07:28 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Chose a backstroke workout today

2x5t00@8:00 Free
    5x100@200 Back w/paddles & board
    10x25@1:00 back kick arms perpendicular
    5x100@2:00 back hold 1:40 or better went 1:35, 1:35, 1:35, 1:34, 1:31
    10x25@:45 Free kick
    500 Free w/paddles & board every 3rd lap back
    10x50@:50 Free easy

Total 3500 yards

Just a little twinge in the hamstring but I can get that worked out with a tennis ball this morning and some stretching.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Monday Apr 19, 2010

by , April 19th, 2010 at 09:56 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    swam Saturday

did not swim sunday

Monday Apr 19

Nats Psych Sheet

Lifted weights

swam with mike, nate, max, ritchie, & tenille
    beside michael, todd, marcio, doug & ned

5 x 200 fr on 3:00
    desc 1 -3 hold 4 & 5

3 x 50

4 x 25

5 x 150 on 2:15
    desc 1 - 3 hold 4 & 5

3 x 50

4 x 25

5 x 100 on 1:45
    desc 1 - 3 hold 4 & 5

3 x 50

4 x 25
  3. Weights

by , April 19th, 2010 at 08:46 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Could not decide whether I wanted to swim today or lift. Ended up going to the weight room. After discussing matters with the weight-lifting guru, he strongly encouraged me to punt the sets with less than 5 reps. He also told me to go to 2 sets of 6 to 8 rather than 10-8-6. He said the point now was to maintain strength and not be trying to get stronger. I'm too close in to the meet.

So, this will be my plan for the next 16 days. After 16 days, I'll drop the weights completely and may do one or two sessions of push-ups and core work. Within 10 days of Nationals, I will drop the push-ups and core work. May do it sooner depending on how I feel.

Speaking of Nationals, as I figured, the events I entered are ultra-competitive. I will be very surprised if I get a 10th place finish or better. Really, guess I should be happy to finish in the top 20 places there.

Here is today's workout:

Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 5, 2 sets of 95 x 6

Lat hi row: 90 x 5, 2 sets of 110 x 6

Military press: 30 x 5, 2 sets of 45 x 6

Leg curls: 30 x 5, 2 sets of 50 x 6

Leg/knee raises: 2 sets of 20

Short on time, so missed my usual other core work. Fortunately, I did a small set yesterday as follows:

1 set of 100 bicycles

1 set of 25 sit-ups

1 set of 20 heel-to-toe sit-ups

Updated April 19th, 2010 at 09:15 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Monday, April 19

by , April 19th, 2010 at 08:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 various

Main "Sets":

4 x (25 shooter on back + 25 EZ)
    4 x (25 long evil pullout + 25 EZ)*

* A man stopped me to say my evil underwaters were "beautiful."

50 EZ

2 x (25 free build + 25 EZ)
    3 x (25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ)

2 x (25 @ 90% + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 1700

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Well, I'm not so sure that bikram was the correct choice of yoga yesterday, though I think it's the best overall for stretching. My hamstrings were pretty sore today. I think if I did bikram more often, this effect would go away. I believe it's from all the "lock the knee" position, and I hope I'm not hyper-extending my knee. Bikram is supposed to loosen up the hamstrings, http://www.hotyogadoctor.com/index.p...with-hot-yoga/, and I'm decent at the exercises mentioned in this. It's just hard to go more often. Or perhaps I'm negligent in not stretching more on my own. In any event, I'm sure the soreness will ebb this week while I'm doing very little, basically just paddling about. Though all the driving around I do doesn't help the poor hammies.

Speaking of which, I checked the psych sheets for Nationals. This will definitely be the fastest masters meet I've swum in! My age group is killer with OT trialists and former AR holders. Backstroke is so deep that it's ridiculous! There are 4 women in the 50 back who have gone under 28. I'm seeded higher in the 100 IM than the 100 back ... It should be a very exciting meet. Really glad we get to swim all 6 events! And I didn't even get a wall lane. hehe. Though everyone says it doesn't matter much at first rate pools.

Now, I need to get psyched for Zones this weekend. Keep the trash talk coming, Stud. I'm not riled up enough yet.

Oh, and it completely ticks me off when I'm just as hungry when I'm doing virtually nothing as when I'm training hard.

Updated April 19th, 2010 at 10:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Monday blast off 4/19/10

by , April 19th, 2010 at 08:28 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Picked a workout with some speed in again today. I rewrote a Jacki Hirsty one for my own intervals and got it done in good time, as the swim team are now back on the schedule for Long Course.
    Warm Up
    300 Swim

Set 1
    200 Pull 3:15
    150 Kick 3:30
    100 Swim Build

Set 2

6 x 75 FAST 1:15
    1 x 50 EZ 1:10
    4 x 75 FASTER 1:10
    2 x 75 VERY FAST 1:05
    4 x 75 AS BEFORE 1:10
    6 x 75 AS BEFORE 1:15
    Tough but fun set. I held 1:05 on the 1:15, about 1:02 on the 1:10 and about 1:00 on the 1:05. I didn't go for sprint but fast as I could control and execute with discipline.

Set 3
    6 x 100 Pull 1:35
    6 x 50 Kick 1:15
    6 x 25 :30 Alternate EZ and Hard

Cool Down
    350 Fin kick Moderate
    200 Easy.

4200 in about 75 minutes.
    Lifted after at about 90% of normal weight and intensity...just a little backing down before the trip to Virginia.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -04/20/10

by , April 19th, 2010 at 04:21 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    The 5:30 group will be swimming SC M-W-F and LC on T-T-T

LCM

WARM UP:
    4 X 150 2:45
    4 X 100 1:45

8 X 100 free 1:40
    Build the second 50

6 X 100 kick 2:30

8 X 100 2:00
    50 stroke/50 free

6 X 200 Free 3:20
    1-3: long and smooth
    4-6: descend

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4600M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Distance focus today for the most part no legs

by , April 19th, 2010 at 07:35 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Started with a distance workout because there was no kick in the workout. Hip is feeling better but still don't want to hurt it again this close to Nationals.

20x50@:55 Free held :46's
    1000 Free w/paddles & bouy for time 13:16
    20x50@1:00 Free every 3rd FAST went :36, :36, :35, :36, :35, :32 on the sprints held :46's on the others legs were ok on this
    8x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    200 Free EASY

Total 4000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Sunday April 18, 2010

Did one of Fort's speed workouts today. I think she poached it from Rich A.

1000 W/U:
    300 FR swim
    200 IM drill
    4 x 50 kick/drill
    150 fly drill
    2 x 25 fly 1 build 1 fast
    50 back drill
    50 ez

Main Set:
    4 x 100 (50 on 1:00, 25 on :30, 25)
    I did the last 25 swim on the odds and kick on the evens.

Went fr, bk, fl, fr - not real sure on times since the pace clock I was using was at the far end of where I started which made the 50 split and 2nd 25 splits hard to get.

300 c/d

Liked the main set. Felt better than I thought I would on the fly. I think my fly splits were close to :31, :15, :15.

Even with just two days off of the legs they are feeling a tad better. They are definitely still shot but it's a bit better.

I'm ready for taper but I'm also getting exciting to run outside more. This always seems to happen to me. Taper kicks in and all I want to do is run. Oh well. I'm stoked for state next weekend and anxious to see how I swim.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Tampa bay recap

Tampa Bay Marathon Swim Recap

The day was perfect… sunny with periods of overcast; a welcome relief from the otherwise “tanning index” of >10. Water temperature; between 68 and 72 degrees, though I was hoping forecasts from earlier in the week would prove correct and the water would be closer to the mid 60’s.

I slept well Friday night but woke up rather early for the 7AM start… around 3AM. I tried to get myself sorted out without waking Clare from her slumber, as I would need her to be awake enough to handle my (what turned out to be) 32 feedings.

The Feed Program
    With the guidance of Steve Munatones, I constructed a fabulous telescoping feed stick with two (one black and one white) double swiveling cup holders. I searched far and wide to find some wide mouth stainless steel, flip top containers that would hold about 12 oz each and fit nicely into said b&w cup holders… but to no avail. I had to settle for Rubbermaid plastic substitutes. Though these containers have slightly raised graduations depicting volume, I marked them off with blue electrical tape at 4 oz and white electrical tape at 9 oz. Each container holds 20 oz so having them less than half-full keeps the weight at the bottom and reduces the chance of having them tip out. I am embarrassed to say that I left my glorious feed stick in the back of my Yaris at JFK International Airport and so Clare had to resort to the old string and caribiner standby to get the feeds to yours truly. For each feed (40 minutes from the starting bell and then every 20 minutes) Clare would toss me 2 bottles tethered together… one containing my nutritional concoction and the other containing good old H2O so that I could pick and choose whichever combination my body required at that moment.

Race Day Nutrition
    While back in NY, I filled all my bottles with the various powdered mixes that the days efforts would require. They included:
    Pre-Race – 3 scoops of Hammer Nutrition Sustained Energy, 1 scoop of 1st Endurance Pre-Race, 4 1st Endurance Optigen Capsules, 3 1st Endurance Multi-Vitimin Tissue Rejuvenator capsules. This was mixed with 16 oz of water and consumed 2.5 hours before starting time. I drank another 12 oz of water 30 minutes to the start.

Swim Mix and Schedule
    I did a long (30,000yds) pool swim in February, in part to experiment with caloric intake during a sustained effort. The results were mixed, but I did learn that having the option between high calorie and just plain water for each feed would give me the opportunity to fine tune things. I am happy to say that I successfully employed this during my TB swim:

My feed consisted of about 285 calories/hour… this was achieved with 3 scoops of 1st Endurance lemon-lime EFS in 27 oz water broken into 20 minute servings of 1 scoop in 9oz water. At each feed, Clare would toss me two bottles; one containing “the mix” (marked with blue electrical tape) and the other containing water. For most of my feeds, I drank the mix only, but when elimination seemed to take more effort, I took some water as well. Two feeds (around 7 and 8 hours) I took water only.
    At hours 4, 6, and 8, I also took 1 Hammer Tissue Rejuvenator (but no NSAIDS). Three feeds were also supplemented with special treats… 2x rice pudding; mashed up and liquid to render it drinkable and 1x cinnamon brown sugar oatmeal given the same treatment. I also had 3 feeds where “the mix” was replaced by gels… 2x Hammer Gel Huckelberry and 1x 1st Endurance EFS vanilla.

Post Swim
    2 scoops of 1st Endurance Optigen in 12 oz…. the most delicious thing I ever tasted in my whole life and 4 Hammer Tissue Rejuvenator capsules…
    and a Sierra Nevada draught Pale Ale.

Equipment
    2 generous full-body applications of SPF 30 Banana Boat Sport.
    A slathering of my very own special “channel grease” mix (consisting of 3oz anhydrous lanolin, 3oz vasaline, and 1.5oz zinc oxide),
    liberally applied to any and all areas that might be subject to chaffing from the very abrasive nature of salt water including… groin, butt crack, arm pits, neck, shoulders and jaw line… every single hotel towel employed to remove the excess from my hands.
    Black Finis polyester brief… size 32.
    Blue 70 Vision goggles with amber lenses…. These fit perfectly and didn’t require a single adjustment the entire 10hr 49mn swim, though I must confess; I did trim my eyelashes to keep them from brushing against the lenses.
    Speedo earplugs.
    White silicon Total Immersion swim cap.
    ……. Nothing to add….. all performed well; zero wardrobe malfunctions.

Oh yeah…. THE SWIM!
    I am not sure why this swim isn’t more enthusiastically attended.
    -It is well organized. Ron Collins and company put on a serious event in a casual environment. All this year’s solo male entrants have EC bookings for the 2010 season and consider TB to be a good measure of training (yes… I know there are many differences between TB and the EC)
    -The male and female course records are held by world class swimmers, Chris Derks and Penny Palfrey. I would think that this would attract lots of big guns to see how they might measure up.
    -Entry is easy… no lottery, no need to book years in advance.
    -Relays can a fun way to break into marathon swimming; not sure if you want to swim the whole 24 miles? Grab a relay partner or 2 and swim as much as you want. Last year I swam +/- 18 of the 24 miles (my relay partner, Patty was generous enough to grant me the lion’s share).
    -There are worse places to be than St. Pete in April. Most of the watering holes up north just aren’t warm enough to get more than a quick dip in… so get your “brine fix” here!

I started the swim at a pace that I thought I could sustain for 10 hours… stroke rate in the mid 60’s, and by my third feed, the field was spreading out. I didn’t express any kind of “race plan” to Clare, and our communication was limited regarding the other swimmers. At about 5 hours, I looked forward, didn’t see any boats, inquired: where is everybody?.... you’re out in front. (cool) I never saw another boat until near the second bridge… I asked: Whose boat is that? Clare replied, “don’t worry about it, its a relay team”. The wind picked up and there was a pretty good chop now so I settled into a slower stroke rate of 60SPM… no reason to get sloppy now with just a couple of miles to go. As I walked up to the beach I was surprised to see Craig Lenning sitting there already… I wonder when he passed me? It would have been a welcome diversion to have someone to swim with after 7, 8, 9 hours alone out there. Perhaps we will have the opportunity during MIMS on June 12!

10hrs 49 mins

Updated April 19th, 2010 at 08:21 PM by chaos

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Sunday, April 18

by , April 18th, 2010 at 06:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

30 minutes of RC work at the gym

Hot Yoga, 90 minutes:

These sessions are getting easier for me. They don't seem quite as long. My balance is improving. And I don't get any twinges in the knees or elbows like I sometimes used to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I'm staying on track for my 6 week plan. This week I did:

swim 5x, 12,450 w/2 speed workouts, 3 active recovery
    drylands, 0 except RC
    yoga, 1x
    rest day, 1x

Despite dropping drylands, my legs still feel tired. This just confirms my view that resting the legs is a long process.

I have managed to avoid further injuries, but my kneecaps and forearms are still sore and bruised. My right forearm is swollen. I can't wait until these nagging issues disappear.

I was wondering, if one is taking a rest day, should it be total rest? Or does it not make a difference if one does a little light yoga or stretching or RC work?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...e-of-rest.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_n6033005/

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/overtraining.html
    Categories
    Yoga
  11. Sunday Washout 4/18/10

by , April 18th, 2010 at 05:15 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well the pool was crowded today so I couldn't get off the blocks like I wanted so I did a bout 1500 yards built around some fast 25's and such. Highlight was a 50 yard swim in about :33 from a push with a drag suit.. so I was OK with that.

Some speed work better than none.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Getting It Back Together

by , April 18th, 2010 at 12:52 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I tried to swim yesterday after 12 days of rib healing. The swim was okay. No flip-turns (ouch!) and a total of 2,000 yards.
    Later in the afternoon everything tightened up a bit which worried me.
    This morning I did the same easy-going type swim as yesterday and again it was okay! Definitely no worse.
    I think this may just take a little time. I am still hoping to do the ow 10K in mid-July. I figure if I'm normal by May 1st it will work out pretty well.
    One thing for sure, I'm not doing anything hard till I feel normal!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Saturday Speed Work

by , April 18th, 2010 at 09:38 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Went to a small swim meet in Boise. I don't think there were 10 swimmers there. But it was a good speed workout. About like intervals on 5 min.

Warm up with about 1000 of mixed swim drill and kick

50 free - 28+
    easy 50
    100 back - 1:15+
    easy 50
    50 fly - 33+
    easy 50
    100 free - 1:09 (I was toast at this point)
    easy 50

cool down
    800 easy free and back

Total: 2300 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Anniversary swim

by , April 17th, 2010 at 09:39 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Today my husband and I celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary. We have a trip planned a little later in the year, but still enjoyed some time together today. We did an 1800 yard workout at the Y and then went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. I must have eaten four times the amount of calories I burned in today's small workout.

Later in the day, we went to the Noble Street Festival, saw some great cycling races, and enjoyed some good music. My son participated in the Mellow Mushroom Mad Dash which is a 1k running race. Very proud of him for getting third overall in the kids division (14 and under).

Today's swim workout was very easy and a nice recovery from the workouts I did this week.

Warm-up: 200 easy

4 x 25 fly drill on :30 - odds rt arm only, evens lt arm only

4 x 25 dolphin on back with fins on :30

4 x 25 press the chest drill on 20 seconds rest

4 x 50 dolphin kick with board on 1:15

4 x 50 - 3 rt/3 lt/3 full fly on 1:30

100 easy dolphin on back with fins

4 x 25 - half hard/half easy - worked break-outs

3 x 100 - alternated rt arm/lt arm by 25

8 x 25 - IMO on :45

200 easy

1800 SCY

Notes:

1. Went over my weekly goal by 100 yards. Glad to be on track for the first two weeks in April.

2. After talking to weight-lifting guru friend, I'm going to stick with 10-8-6 on weights next week.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Saturday recovery

by , April 17th, 2010 at 05:02 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today I just did the usual with the girls and then worked with Tom on backstroke turns with a flat wall.

5x100@1:45 Free
    40x25 various drills 20 fly, 10 back and 10 free
    5x100 with 5 pullups between each 100

Total 2000 yards

After workout and working with Tom I soaked in the hot tub and then went for a massage.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Saturday morning workout with team

I swam a LCM workout with my team this morning. Saturday is the only day of the week that I do a 2-hour workout, and for the last 2 weekends I had cut this practice short because of meets. Today I stayed for the whole enchilada, and Iím really feeling it now. Hereís what we did:

900 LCM warmup

5 x 200 FR @ 3:30, desc. [3:15, 3:10 (actually this was more like a 3:06óI waited to touch the wall until the 10 because I went into the set wanting to descend by :05 on each one, but after doing that I admitted to myself that it was silly to manipulate my times that way), 3:03, 3:01, 2:56]

10 x 50 ST (16.7 build, 16.7 sprint, 16.6 easy) @ 1:30 [We had cones dividing the pool into thirds for this one. I did BK.]

100 easy

8 x 100 IM (16.7 fly, 16.7 back, 16.6 breast, 50 FR) @ 2:00 [Used the cones again for the first length of each, then the 50 FR was fast. I could have used more rest on these.]

6 x 50 easy @ 1:00

3 x 500 FR @ 9:00 [This was long slow distance swimming. I did the 1st one all FR and maintained a 1:40/100 pace; my attention wandered a bit on the last two, and I amused myself by mixing in some BK and combining FL and BR kicks with my FR.]

100 warmdown

During the IM set Coach Craig pointed out that my left-hand FR entry was too wide. This was feeling pretty difficult to correct consistently. After some experimentation (plenty of opportunity for that on those 500s), I realized that when I breathe in I relax my core muscles a bit, and allow my back to arch. Since I usually 2-stroke breathe to my right, this happens every time Iím placing my left hand into the water. Arching my back makes it hard to both place my hand in front of my shoulder and keep my elbow higher than my wrist, so I compensate by entering wider. So focusing on keeping my core strong while I breathe seemed to help me correct the left hand entry, Thinking about not looking forward before or during my breath also seemed to help, since thatís another thing that leads to back arch.
    Tags: technique
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Easy Friday

by , April 17th, 2010 at 09:11 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    4/16/10

SCY, Solo

Doing a small meet in Boise on Saturday so backed off a bit and took it easy.

300 swim choice
    6 x 50 kick alt free/back by 50 with 5 second rest
    300 pull breathe 3

2x around
    {
    3 x 100 pull on 2:00 descend to about 80 %
    (did pull with buoy only - round 1 went 1:25->1:15, round 2 went 1:30->1:22)
    4 x 75 on 1:45 as 50 build free, 10 seconds, 25 choice with FAST finishes
    (round 1 swim time around 54-55, round 2 1:00-1:01)
    }
    Do round 1 free, round 2 back

Swim down 200
    --
    Total:2300 yards

Updated April 17th, 2010 at 09:17 AM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. PRE RACE

Its 4:48 AM.... I've been awake for 2 hours already but just now ready to roll out of bed and get my feeds prepared. The swim starts at 7:00.... butterflies.......

recap later..............
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Totally Spanked! 4/16/10

by , April 16th, 2010 at 08:23 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    After a 50 minute road run yesterday my legs felt pretty limp this morning...but I got to work and started my day. Had one of those many minor aggravation days today and I was wiped out and not too keen to swim by the time 3pm rolled around...but I got on with it.

Warm Up
    400 FR EZ
    400 IM EZ This was only my second ever 400 IM but I had to take :05 after the 100 FL.

Main

6 x through:
    100 EZ 2:00
    100 Cruise 1:50
    100 EZ/50 DR 2:10
    100 FAST 2:00
    The fasts were supposed to be off the block but I had a lanemate so I had to do from the wall...and I opted to go odds FR Evens BR. Also I didn't do 100's fast I did 1&2 as 25 Sprint n turns then ez for the balance. 3 & 4 I did the 100's athough not quite up at race pace. 5 & 6 I did as 1s and last 25 sprint.

Cool

400 EZ

I did it pretty steady though it took almost exactly 80 minutes.

After I hit the weights and had my muscle milk at the end.

Updated April 16th, 2010 at 09:04 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Double: FAST Fri Apr 16th 2010: best in practice 200 LCM fr

by , April 16th, 2010 at 06:46 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    DOUBLE: FAST Fri Apr 16th 2010

Nats is in 5 weeks or it's
    35 DAYS away

before NationalsI only have:
    3 fast Friday's left Apr 23 & 30, & May 7 &
    13 weight lifting work outs

I'm going to be in Scottsdale AZ
    Sun May 16 - Wed May 19
    then leave for Atlanta the day after I get back.

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    LCM main pool
    whitney coached, but Todd "the Breastroke God" was on Deck, Tyler was out of town
    Noon to 1:00
    dove in at 12:05
    swam with Ritchie, Tenielle, Larry, & James Fike

wore B70 legs

Warm Up:
    10 min choice

MAIN SET

Assigned 4 x 200 fr on 5:00 best ave
    Did: 1 & 4 skipped 2 & 3
    went 2:18 on #1 &
    2:09.3 on #4 todd timed
    I think is my best ever in practice 200 LCM free as a master, did it 150 2 beat kick, 50 6 beat kick

assigned: 3 x 100 fr on 3:00
    did: skipped 1 & 2, went 58.9 on #3
    50 2 beat kick 50 6 beat kick

signed: 2 x 50 on 2:00
    went skipped 1 &
    went 26.0 on #2
    felt pretty worn out & not very snappy

25 SDK
    roll start went 11.88
    not too snappy

100 easy

2010 MEETS: