View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. 02-18-2010 workout

by , February 19th, 2010 at 12:31 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol
    6-7:30 PM

warm 500 FR, 200IM drill

3x200 FR breakout
    3 strokes in/flip/2 dolphins/3 strokes out no breath. on 3:30 (did 3 in and 1 out)
    10 x 100 K 1:30 ( first 5 FR with fins, 2nd 5 FR w/o fins, one was dolphin kick on 2:30.
    4 x 100 Drill ( Gaines/Dana whatever her last name is, FR switch drill) :30 rest
    20 x 25 sprint on :30 ( 10 Fly, 10 BK) Fly :15, BK :17
    6x25 FR sprint on :45 no breath, did 1st NB, 2-4 2br, 5 4br & 6th 2 breaths.
    200 cool
    3550 scy

Took awhile to do the drill, figured out that I had to do a 3 count to make it work; kick on side head down, one stroke-switch sides, breath, head down stroke etc...I dont get the time to read through all the blogs like I used too. I sometimes zero in on a couple fav's since everyone seems to have a lot going on in their respective workout regiments.
    Anyways, I'm trying to focus on what I can do, and go faster doing it, while nursing the various injury's that occur along the way.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Thursday, Feb. 18

by , February 18th, 2010 at 10:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

My Thursday workout buddy was still sick, so I swam a sprinty workout solo.

Warm up:

700 various

8 x 25 shooter on back, no fins

Short Axis Speed Set w/Fins:

2 rounds of:

4 x 25, odds = AFAP, evens = EZ
    4 x 50, odds = AFAP, evens = EZ
    3 x 75, odds = EZ, even = fast
    3 x 100, odds = EZ, even = fast

1st round = breast
    went 33, 31.5 ish on the 50s
    went 52 ish on the 75, clocks weren't synched
    went 1:09-10 on fast 100

2nd round = fly
    went 25s on the 50s
    went easy speed on 75 and 100
    went easy free or back kick on the EZ portions
    on the 75 fly, tried breathing every stroke
    on the 100 fly, tried breathing 2 up, 1 down (went 1:00)
    I like 2 up, 1 down breathing better

Sprint Kick Set:

10 x 50 kick w/board & MF,
    25 haul ass AFAP + 25 EZ

100 EZ

5 x 1:00 vertical kicking
    odds = breast
    evens = dolphin

Vertical kicking is pretty much just a drill for me. I work on keeping the knees together and kick narrow in evil and work on kicking both sides on dolphin. If I want to make it tougher, I need to add a med ball. But I think I'll work on explosive streamline VKs now as well.

50 EZ

Total: 3000 + VK

Yoga:

Did about 40 of the 60 minutes of Bryan Kest's power yoga. http://www.yoga.com/store/product.asp?Product_ID=2622.

+ 3 x 15 push ups

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I think it's definitely time to shift back into speed and power swimming. I feel like I've lost a bit of speed and I don't feel as strong. I may not even swim another 200 the rest of the year, so it's back to some CVDB type training. I'm REALLY hoping I can hit the gym tomorrow, though my "to do" list is daunting.

I was talking about my evil pull with Mini Fort today. I'm still apparently doing it somewhat wrong. She prescribes windshield wiper sculling. This is where you scull on your stomach with elbows bent on the surface of the water and forearms and hands beneath the water moving in a windshield wiper pattern. Sounds kinda hard, but I'll give it a try on a drill/recovery day.

I'm still mulling over the Warrenton meet on March 14. http://www.warrentonmasters.org/Drea...imMeet2010.pdf. I'm just worried I'll be too exhausted for the Albatross meet the following weekend. Perhaps if I only swim 2-3 events on one day it won't kill me ... Any suggestions on events? I know it's odd, very odd in fact, but I have an urge to repeat the 100 breast. And maybe the 50 free.

I made it through the workouts without a cramp today! Woohoo. I also realized my fav new raw food energy bar is only 150 calories.

And I am swearing off chips and eliminating them from the house. I had another late night snack of vegan brown rice seal salt chips. Sounds innocent and healthy enough, right? Noooo. I looked at the package this morning. 6 oz of chips = 840 calories. Holy crap! 10 chips is one serving (really?!) Since I am unable to just eat 10 chips, I will have to purge the pantry. Forget about racing weight, all I need to do it cut chips. lol
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  3. Rest - Individualization

by , February 18th, 2010 at 09:07 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    It seems that peak performance involves so many factors working together at the right time - good training, nutrition, recovery, etc. What amazes me is the difference in ideal rest/recovery from individual to individual. It seems there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to rest or recovery. There seems to be variation among sprinters not so much based on the fact that they are sprinters, but more based on the fact that each individual needs a specific amount of rest. My own experience is that more rest is better. Several examples come to mind:

1. Masters PB in 200 back in 1999 - Was completely out of the water for three weeks for medical reasons, trained for three weeks, raced and did masters best.

2. Second fastest masters time in 50 fly in 1998 -laproscopic lower abdominal surgery 4 weeks before Nationals, out of water for 10 days, no more than 1500 yards per workout leading up to Nationals.

3. Best sprint triathlon performance - went on vacation three weeks before and with the exception of one five mile run, took the whole week off. Returned and trained hard for one week, and took it very easy (half distances of tri) the week of.

4. 100 free - masters PB - 2010 - swam twice the week of meet for a total of 2900 yards.

All of this makes me wonder if I am unique when it comes to rest or if something along this line (don't want to wish medical issues on anybody - just wishing time off) would benefit other masters athletes. Maybe I push my body too hard when I train and the rest really is needed and quite beneficial. Am I all that different from other masters athletes though?

The rest issues all comes to mind as I have only been able to swim once so far this week. Other things have kept me out of the water - stomach bug, grading papers, attending to child's activities. When I have started to feel guilty or lazy this week, I have tried to remind myself that rest or recovery from the meet is not a bad thing. Of course, I may be eating my words in a few weeks or at Nationals. Nonetheless, the rest aspect is an interesting thing to ponder.

Updated February 24th, 2010 at 12:10 AM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Groin Update!

by , February 18th, 2010 at 07:12 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well still not feeling any persistent pain, so I am thinking it's probably a minor issue that will go away within a few days.

Any pain I felt yesterday was sharp whereas today any pain is much duller and more like a strain or sore feeling.

I didn't run today it may not have had any negative effects but I though it prudent to let the area rest as much as possible.

I did manage to sneak in a brief pull of about 500 yards though.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. FAST Thu Feb 18th 2010

by , February 18th, 2010 at 12:11 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST Thu Feb 18th 2010

What do you think of my wife's photos at
    http://ModelMayhem.com/bethrasmussen

The Austin Grand Prix starts in 2 weeks,
    I'm going to rest a few to a week days for it.

Subscribe to this Blog

Whitney isn't coaching this Fri & Sat so she did Fast Friday today.

WEIGHTS
    lifted before practice
    just maintaining strength

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool,
    Whitney coached
    5:30 - 7:00
    swam with
    Dale Rodgers, Tyler, Larry, Max, Joe, Desiree, Kelly, Ritchie and Michael Lovato
    wore B70 FULL

warm up:
    inx 20 minutes
    I did 100's on 1:20
    went around 1400

50 free fast
    went 25

50 easy

20 x 50 FR on 1:20
    hold them all with in 3 sec of the time on the fast one
    held 26's & 7's from a push
    went 25 on last

1000 fr neg split
    went 5:50 ish
    5:17 felt pretty easy

50 K fast did SDK & K on surface
    went 28

50 easy

20 x 50 K, on 1:20
    did SDK & fly k on surface
    hold them all with in 3 of the time from the fast one
    held 30's & 31's from a push
    went 26 on last one from a dive

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010 Austin, TX UT Swim Center Count Down
    Austin Grand Prix
    ENTERED
    # 5 Men Open 100 Fly 51.80Y
    # 14 Men Open 400 IM 4:25.33Y
    # 26 Men Open 100 Free 48.92Y

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX Countdown
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events

Updated February 18th, 2010 at 12:24 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  6. Thursday, 2/18/10

by , February 18th, 2010 at 11:38 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I'm gradually getting over this cold and feeling better each day.

SCY, Solo

200 swim free
    200 swim back
    4 x 100 kick w :10 sec rest
    (did these as 25 kick on back 25 kick on R side 25 kick on L side, 25 kick on back)
    100 IM drill
    100 IM swim

3x around
    {
    pull 6 x 75 free on 1:20: breathe every 3 and keep this SMOOTH with full range of motion - work the triceps!
    (did these between 57 and 60)
    go right into
    4 x 25 choice FAST on :40
    take 20 sec. rest and go right into next round

(Rnd 1 free around 16, Rnd 2 fly around 18, Rnd 3 back around 19)
    }
    100 swim easy

50 back from blocks (35)

100 easy

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. NUMB3RS

by , February 18th, 2010 at 08:47 AM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    "The success of any great moral enterprise does not depend upon numbers."
    -William Lloyd Garrison

Most all post-meet tasks are now completed. There were 11 tee shirts that needed to be mailed out. I did not enjoy thinking about listening to the postal clerk's song, "Is there anything fragile, liquid, perishable, …" 11 times. I bought the delivery confirmation for $0.80 each so I could be assured of delivery. Postal insurance on a $15 tee shirt was too expensive. I went to the post office in 2 trips because the Tyvek envelopes we purchased years ago for this purpose ran out after 6 shirts. These babies are expensive now - $26.00 for a box at Office Depot, about $0.50 each.

This year 9 swimmers ordered the printed results. Results were copied, addressed, and mailed out Tuesday. They did not contain the officials names.

The 189 swimmers signed up for the meet, along with 3 deck entries equalled 672 splashes =
    about 3.5 events per person
    146 swimmers attended the meet, the rest skipping out due to the snow on Saturday
    35 swimmers claimed this as their first Masters meet
    0 USMS records this year, although there have been a few in the past
    0 Olympic medalists showed up (we had one once)
    76 entries came in the last 3 days before the deadline
    6 swimmers sent in photos for the online meet scrapbook
    84 new meet records were set
    10 coconut relay teams entered
    19 relay teams entered the 2 relay events - 11 in the medley

The tee shirts were a hit again this year. 52 meet swimmers ordered meet tee shirts. 13 team members not in the meet bought tee shirts (actually 12 - the meet director gets a free tee shirt.) There were 6 to sell at the meet - all sold. The last one sold after I received an email requesting one the day after the meet. 71 shirts were printed but 72 were ordered - the tee shirt printers messed up one.

VMST sent the most swimmers to the meet - 20. Our team ALEX sent the second most, and RMST the third. GMUP sent the least - 0. I pick on them because none of their four signups attended (although swimmers 30-40 miles away made it), and they are the third closest team geographically to us.

Who actually attends our meet? Well, Alexandria Masters has quite a few swimmers who do not compete except at our event. We have some very good swimmers in that group, too. Hosting the meet provides an opportunity for these people to compete who would not normally do so. Earlier, I mentioned that we aimed to attract the swimmers that shy away from competing. This seems to be true with our team as well as others.

Since I embarrass myself at about half the meets here in the area, I am familiar with a lot of the names on those meet programs. True, a good many do show their face at our meet, but it is safe to say that many characters at our meet are never seen in other Potomac Valley competition. One team in particular - ARMS - is almost non-existent in other meets, although 13 of their swimmers attended our Tropical Splash.

But, I believe that there is another dynamic at work, too. Not only do we attract the swimmers that like to have fun at meets, but this is translated to teams, too. I conclude that for two reasons.

First, we actually do attract some elite level swimmers to the meet. And they return each year. They tend to be on the teams that have big turnouts. Second, there are some teams that we rarely see in our meet program, even though they are local and have good turnouts at other local meets. I believe their teams' culture and personality are more competitive; where performance and competition are taken more seriously. These are the teams where members would not attend our meet to have fun, but to seriously swim and compete. Starting blocks, breaking records, and automatic timing are what these teams get excited about.

Other teams much further away have an unbelievable turnout at the Tropical Splash (and their elite swimmers show up) because I believe their team culture is more attuned to swimming and competition as fun. Coconut relays, leis, and sociable hospitality rooms are what attract these teams to competition.

So, the teams where serious performance is the team culture tend to stay away, while the swimmers and teams with a fun, gregarious team culture tend to show up. This makes the meet even more enjoyable - a meet filled with only swimmers of this personality!

One thing is for certain - our meet grows in popularity each year (and I fear may be too popular for its own good.)

Updated February 18th, 2010 at 02:02 PM by Rnovitske (I can't believe these stupid grammar mistakes!!!)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Over the humpday and down the other side

by , February 18th, 2010 at 07:29 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I am starting to drag due to watching the Olympics at night then making it to practice in the morning.

10x100@1:45 Free every 3rd Back
    8x25@:45 Back kick arms perpendicular was holding 40's (I need to work on this)
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd moderate
    6x50@1:00 Back went 48,46,46,46,46,44
    500 Free w/snorkle & paddles had a goggle malfunction at 300 and had to stop to get the water out
    5x100@1:45 as 50Free/50Back w/paddles held 1:31's
    200 Free EASY

Total 3200 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. 02-17-2010 Workout

by , February 18th, 2010 at 12:08 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol

(Our coach was out and she left me a workout by a lane, I say me because I was the only aged grouper!)

500 warm
    6x200 FR on 3:00. 3 swim/ 3 Pull (2:39, 2:44, 2:44. Pull =2:45's)
    1x500 K with fins choice (did fly w/board)
    5x50 ea. stroke 1:00 (25 drill/25swim)
    4x100 BR Pull 2:00 (3 fly kick/1 buoy)
    5x50 K FLy side (w/snorkel) did 2 1:15
    9x75 IM 1:15 (skipped)

Cool 150
    4100 scy

My cervical rediculitus (or the ridiculous neck pinching exiting nerve) is improving with a bit of medication and nightly icing before bed.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Something went pyoing in my groin! 2/17/10

by , February 17th, 2010 at 09:47 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well bearing in mind that I had to go out at 8:45 last night to clear snow in the vain hope that there wouldn't be a snow delay last night, I awoke to a 90 minute hiatus in my routine.

I eventually got to the pool about 1:30 and had a good 4k swim...sadly on the very first push of something went pyoing in my groin...and no, not in a good way!

Here is where Fort can say "Hah, see told you...running too much too soon!" though I think I am active enough for it to be just bad luck. An ankle or knee issue I definitely would think it's the running.

Good news is it seems minor, general mobility is fine, I can go up and down stairs ok, I swam ok...I just felt it on the push offs. I've taken some napro and I am hoping it is a strain that will ease up.

I'll evaluate tomorrow whether to run at all, or less and slower or do something else.

Anyhow here is the workout.
    Warm Up
    200 Swim with snorkel
    200 Kick
    200 Pull paddles
    Front Crawl Set
    10 x 100 1:40 held 1:30's consistently. I felt a bit tired anyhow today so I wasn't expecting huge swims.
    10 x 50 :45 I had to take a little extra rest on a couple of them but I went for form since I felt laggy.
    Kick Set
    4 x 50 EZ
    10 x 25 MF shooters :45 or 1:00 can't remember
    10 x 25 shooters :1:00 boy they're slow after the MF
    100 MF on back
    4 x 25 Fly K on back no MF
    100 FR EZ
    Fast BR Set
    4x 50 BR 1:15 held 45's
    Fin Kick Set
    500 Kick
    Cool Down

4 x 50 FR
    Now that is 4000 in 90 minutes. I am pretty happy with that effort on a tired day.

Lifted after and tentatively worked out my thigh and abductors. Didn't hit any snags...stretched off OK too...it's a little odd that I only feel a ping now and then. I do have a calf pain like sciatica and this could also be involved; perhaps something is a little tight and now it's gotten inflamed.
    My suspicion is however, that the snow clearing with the snow thrower is where I tweaked my groin and it came out today.

Updated February 17th, 2010 at 10:57 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Lost Mojo, Wed., Feb 17

by , February 17th, 2010 at 08:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I'm feeling like I've lost my mojo somewhat the last week or so. Being nauseous and rashy doesn't help. I did manage to get to the pool after a non-exercising morning. I left practice early to get my Mathlete, only to get a text that her meeting was cancelled.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Transition Sets:

8 x 25 shooters

50 EZ

8 x 50, done as 25 easy speed fly w/fins +25 EZ

Hybrid Set: Hypoxic/Speed/VK:

8 rounds of:
    (had wanted to do 10 rounds)

1 x 100 back kick, no fins
    1-2 11 SDKs per length
    3-4 12 SDKs per length
    5-6 13 SDKs per length
    7-8 14 SDKs per length

1:00 vertical kicking
    4 evil, 4 dolphin at good tempo

1 x 50, done as 25 AFAP + 25 EZ
    2 of each stroke

1:00 vertical kicking
    4 evil, 4 dolphin at good tempo

I liked interspersing the fast 25s throughout the set. I may do more of this. I recall Ian Smith saying he uses this tactic.

1 fast swim:

100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP back w/fins (:24)

100 EZ

Total: 3200 + 16 minutes of VK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I really meant to go the gym today and do core work, but couldn't get there this morning. Like Geek, I'm a single parent this week. Between that and having to lead book club and teach art history to my youngest's GT class on Thursday and Friday, I'm sunk for time this week ... I'm going to see if I can summon some energy to do power yoga or P90X the next couple evenings or otherwise squeeze it in. Not feeling up to it tonight. And I haven't done my RC work in days ...

And, despite drinking 50 ounces of Smart water his am, taking calcium/magnesium/potassium supplements, having coconut water in a smoothie and wearing compression socks for 2 days, I still got cramps in my right calf at practice.

I think I'm going to shift into more strength and speed work now. I've done a fair amount of aerobic work both in the gym and in the pool since NE Champs. Time to turn on the firepower. Tomorrow, I might do a modified version of Ande's workout today or a workout I did on Oct. 8 (partially with Pete). And I have to see if Pete is free.

Apart from that, I need to HTFU and/or adopt the hair shirt approach.

Breaststroke Tips:

Ande sent me the following links which emphasize a fast insweep and recovery/thrust in breast:

watch tara kirk swim br
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-gisab41Ag"]YouTube- Tara Kirk Fan Video[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RM94U8UUuE&feature=related"]YouTube- Tara Kirk continues winning ways[/ame]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfV_mACQlrU&feature=related"]YouTube- Tara Kirk wins second gold medal[/nomedia].

I'm also trying to follow the Megan Jendrick tip from Swimmer magazine on the recovery after the pulldown. As I recall, she says to turn the palms up immediately and keep your hands under your body to reduce drag.

Energy Bars:

After making myself sick from food, I decided to double check the ingredients of the new energy bars I've been eating. They seems to be "safe." They're gluten free, dairy free, raw, vegan, nut free, organic, seed sprouted, no TFs, etc etc.

http://www.goraw.com/index.php

(I really like the banana bread flax bar.)

http://www.rawindulgence.com/

The only potential problem, I guess, is that a couple of them contain coconut. I'm going to try to get the gluten out of my system and see how I feel continuing with coconut water or bars containing a minimal amount of coconut. I see that avocados are on the "bad" list for me, and that is devastating news as well.

B70 Service:

As usual, B70 had great customer service and immediately agreed to replace my torn suit. That's a relief.

Updated February 17th, 2010 at 10:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Septoplasty tomorrow

No eating after midnight. No drugs or alcohol. Shower with an antibacterial soap, and be at the hospital at 8:30 AM tomorrow. Thats my pre-op routine.
    Doc says 2 weeks no swim.... I might have to take out my aggression on the speed bag....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...DYHelAfh1qDEAQ
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Wednesday, 2/17/10

by , February 17th, 2010 at 11:32 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

I must be getting over this crud that has kept me from working out. I felt good enough this morning to go do an early swim. First time in over a week that I felt like I wanted to get out of bed and swim.

300 swim free
    300 pull alt. 100 free/50 back (w/p&b)
    4 x 100 kick w/10 sec. rest
    (on back w 6-8 SDK of every wall)

swim 12 x 50 free on 1:00: focus on high elbow at the front of the stroke, and work the tricep extension
    (ave :40 on these, SPL 16 down, 17 back)

pull 4 x 100 back on 2:00, focus on rotation and deep catch
    (w/buoy only, ave 1:30)
    swim 2 x 100 back on 2:00, same focus as above
    (went 1:28, 1:25)

swim 4 x 75 free on 1:30 like the 50s above
    (ave 1:03 w/16-17 SPL)

swim down 12 x 25 on :30 choice
    --
    Total: 2800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Wed Feb 17th 2010

by , February 17th, 2010 at 10:11 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Feb 17th 2010

What do you think of my wife's photos at
    http://ModelMayhem.com/bethrasmussen

The Austin Grand Prix starts in 2 weeks,
    I'm going to rest a few to a week days for it.

Subscribe to this Blog

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool,
    Whitney coached
    5:30 - 7:00
    swam with Tyler, Kelly & Desiree
    Beside Ned & Tenille
    wore B70 legs

warm up:
    4 rounds of 150 fr 50

Main Set

4 rounds of (one each stroke)
    take 10 - 20 sec rest
    2 x 25 go fast on 1
    3 x 50 go fast on 2
    4 x 75 go fast on 3
    5 x 100 go fast on 4

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010 Austin, TX UT Swim Center Count Down
    Austin Grand Prix

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX Countdown
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Tuesday Blah

by , February 17th, 2010 at 08:45 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Tuesday night swimmiong with Nasti's.
    This was my 6th day in a row. Yesterday I did a 5,000 yd. workout with a buddy, today I paid.
    I was tired from the start. I justslogged my way through the workout and called it a loosening swim.
    I missed the warm-up due to over-socialization with team-mates:

**300 Freestyle Swim ? interval
    **4 X 125 (25 IM Roll and 100 Free) on 2;30
    **250 Freestyle Swim
    **4 X 100 (25 IM Roll and 75 Free) on 2;00
    **200 Kick
    **4 X 75 (25 IM Roll and 50 Free) 1:30 interval
    **150 Swim
    **4 X 50 (25 IM Roll and 25 Swim) 1:00 interval
    **100 Swim
    **4 X 25 IM Roll on :30
    **100 c/d swim

I got home starved around 9:00 p.m. I was planning to eat leftover casserole from Monday night but my microwave crapped out on me. I think it's a goner. I played around with it for about an hour(gulping down potato chips to sustain my efforts!) I couldn't get it to cooperate so in frustration I just went to bed.
    Tonight I guess I'll go buy a new one......I'd rather buy something fun
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. A different kind of sprint...Back

by , February 17th, 2010 at 07:26 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today I started working on my sprint backstroke. I don't normally swim it but unless someone in my age group steps up I will have to do it on our relay and I want to be ready. I played around with the pull on the sprints and found the straight arm aproach to be my best at the moment.

1000 as 200 swim/pull/swim/kick/swim

500 Back kick w/fins by 100 as #1,4 streamline, @2,5 fashion model @3 partial recovery
    500 Fly kick w/fins to loosen up my aching back

4x25@:45 Back sprint held :21's
    200 Back pull w/board easy
    4x25@:45 Back sprint went 21, 20,19,20
    200 Back pull w/board easy
    4x25@:45 Back sprint held :21's

500 Free pull w/paddles & bouy easy
    100 Free easy
    100 Back easy
    100 Free easy

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Stole Geek's Workout, Tuesday, Feb. 16

by , February 16th, 2010 at 10:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I felt the need for a recovery swim today and Geek's workout fit the bill perfectly. I swam at Oak Marr as I was headed to Wegman's to purchase healthy and gluten free products. Speedo was there doing his kick set. The poor guy looked a little green. Hope he's better soon. I need my Thursday workout buddy.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

4 rounds of:

6 x 50 drill w/fins @ :55
    (1 round of each stroke)
    50 EZ
    200 pull*
    50 EZ

* I even used Speedo's finis freestyler paddles! They felt very odd, but then I never pull. I did skip the last 200 pull to do the last 2 100 kicks @ 1:20 with Speedo. I just cruised them and went 1:05-6. It was clear my legs didn't want to go faster.

100 EZ

12 x 50 breast drill @ 1:00
    6 = alternate PLD breast w/regular breast kick
    6 = breast pull

50 EZ

5 x 1:00 VK
    odds = breast
    evens = dolphin

100 EZ

Total: 3550

Yoga

I was supposed to go to the gym with Mini Fort, but was running late. So we did 45 minutes of the Beryl Bender Birch's power yoga DVD. http://www.yourexercisedvds.com/yoga...ower-yoga.html. This was mostly the stretching phase, which was fine with me b/c I didn't need serious power yoga today. I enjoyed the DVD, which was recommended by Jaegermeister. It had the standard sun salutation vinyasa series at the beginning, but then shifted into quick changes of position. Mini Fort and I are both better at the forward and backward bending poses than the twisting poses. I wonder why this is?

An aquavelo/swimmer friend sent me this article on yoga today. Sasha Cohen, the figure skater is a fan.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...ga-cohen_N.htm.

I typically think I have pretty decent upper body strength, but I cannot do that arm balancing pose she's demonstrating. This must take some practice.

Breaststroke Video:

As promised, here is the youtube link to my 100 breast video that SwimShark was kind enough to take and download. I sent it to Allen Stark. His reaction was that my kick likely wasn't that bad as I was getting good DPS. He said my head position was the worst part of my stroke, and that it was killing momentum. I've been trying to work on this, but sometimes I mentally check out on this component when racing breast as I'm preoccupied with the other elements of the stroke. I may have to do the tennis ball drill. My pullouts were long, as I thought, but I did have to float to the surface a couple times and concentrate on not flutter kicking.

One funny note from the meet. Dave Holland was also swimming his first ever master's 100 breast in the heat or two after me. He asked the timers (kids) how many dolphin kicks he was allowed to take. Then, like a pro and a flyer, he dove in and promptly took a dolphin kick before he started the pull down. lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqrxLq8mB6w"]YouTube- Leslie's 100 breast split[/ame]

Oh, and my splashy start is beyond appalling. I think I need to find Wolfy's 10 tips for starts. This is when I wish I had a coach ...

WSJ Article on Lactose Intolerance:

Today's WSJ had an article on lactose intolerance, which was quite interesting. The NIH is meeting next week to ponder, among other things, why adults become lactose intolerant and produce diminished lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose). "Scientists have discovered that most people develop some degree of lactose intolerance as they get older." The article theorizes that there may be a section of DNA that turns the lactase system on and off.

One response is to "train the bacteria" and not cut lactose out entirely despite the symptoms. They even suggest that people with lactose intolerance should be able to tolerate 1-2 glasses of milk. Apparently, calcium simply cannot be replaced with other foods (like spinach) without eating vast quantities. I'm not taking this advice. Milk and whey make me positively sick and bloated. I am trying to take lactase enzymes on the rare occasion that I eat something with lactose in it. My doc told me not to take just one tablet, but perhaps 2-3 before and after ingestion of lactose. As for training the bacteria to be more effective, I am ingesting more bacteria in the form of probiotics (doc recommendation).

Here's the article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ose+intolerant

New Book:

Jaegermeister mentioned to me that he had read the first Michael Pollan book on nurition and enjoyed it. As it turns out, I have Food Rules, his second book, on my nightstand. I may give that a go next.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Not my fav day. I was still somewhat nauseous and itchy most of the day. And I couldn't find my benadryl or anti-itch cream last night. This gluten free stuff sucks big time. I think I might possibly have made it through the day without glutening myself. I'm hoping to get to both the gym and pool tomorrow. However, the recovery workout did feel very nice, albeit very slow.

Mini-rant:

The Fontress or Fortness or whoever it is can just FOAD. It's one thing to poke fun and call me a whiner (which I readily admit) on the forum, but quite another to offensively defile a photo of mine that was on Facebook. (I don't believe I ever had it as my profile pic, but I could be wrong.) It's rather perturbing that a masters swimmer "friend" would do that. This is the downside of having a public blog. Debate the issues, but don't be an insipid idiot coward.

Updated February 16th, 2010 at 10:42 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  18. Thoughts about Nationals

by , February 16th, 2010 at 07:36 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Really looking forward to Nationals in Atlanta. It's kind of nice that I'll only have a little over a two hour drive. Hoping I'll luck out and get a tenth place finish or better in one event. Unfortunately, the events that I like are extremely popular. I'd rather train for events I like rather than train for those that are less popular with the hopes of getting a higher place.

Friday - I think I'll do the 200 back. Have always liked this event since I was a kid.

Saturday - Looks like a pretty full day. I have 50 fly, 100 free, and 50 back. Not sure about swimming all three events that day, but I hopefully I'll get some rest between events.

Sunday - I'll sign up for the wildly popular 50 free. Will probably take a masters PR to get tenth or better. I like this event, so I figure might as well do it. As my sixth event, I may sign up for 100 back. Doubtful I'll get tenth or better on this, but again, I like it, so why not do it.

Got back in the water today and did the following:

Warm-up: 500 easy - mix of free, breast kick with board, and back kick with fins

8 x 100 on 2:00

25 underwater
    25 kick
    50 swim

Odds: back kick, back swim
    Evens: dolphin on back, free swim

10 x 50 drill/sprint swim on 1:20

Odds: fly
    Evens: free

100 free pull on 1:45
    75 build free on 1:45
    50 free on :50
    25 sprint

100 easy

2150 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Tuesday, 2/16/10

by , February 16th, 2010 at 06:28 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Finally got back into the water after being out for a week due to illness. Still not 100% but it wasn't too bad.

SCY, Solo

300 swim alt. 100 free/50 back
    200 IM drill
    200 kick rev IM order
    100 back swim

kick with zoomers:
    2 x 150 on 3:00 (around 2:15)
    4 x 50 on 1:00 descend 1-4 (went 43-40-38-36)
    2 x 100 on 2:00 (around 1:30)
    4 x 25 on :30, evens fast (fast ones at 17, others around 19)

swim 12 x 100 free:
    didn't make the 1:25 interval on 10-12, so kept it at 1:30
    1-3 on 1:40 ave 1:22
    4-6 on 1:35 ave 1:25
    7-9 on 1:30 ave 1:25
    10-12 on 1:30 ave 1:26

swim down 100
    --
    Total: 2900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. 2/15/10-Pancake Day

by , February 16th, 2010 at 05:08 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Yup it's Pancake Day-Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. Here's a recipe! So put your faux allergies to the side and try it out !!
    Prep Time: 5 minutesCook Time: 5 minutes
    Ingredients:
    •8oz/230g all purpose/plain flour
    •Pinch salt
    •2 eggs
    •2½ cups/600ml milk
    •2 tsp melted butter plus melted butter for cooking
    Preparation:Makes 12 pancakes
    •Sieve the flour into a large baking bowl, add the salt. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the eggs and beat well until smooth and lump free.
    •Add half the milk and the 2 tsp of butter, beat well. Add the remaining milk and stir.
    •Leave the batter to rest for 15 minutes.
    •Lightly grease a pancake pan or frying pan with a little melted butter, heat until very hot and add a ladle of batter to evenly and thinly coat the base of the pan. Cook until set and lightly golden. Flip over (if you are really brave try tossing the pancake in the air, great fun) and cook on the other side for approx 30 seconds.
    •Remove the pancake from the pan, place on a sheet of kitchen paper and keep warm. Continue as above until all the batter is used up. To Serve On Pancake Day, pancakes are traditionally eaten sprinkled with sugar and a squeeze of lemon.

Workout:Anyhow I got in a good 40 minute run with 30 minutes of core and stretching afterwards...It was pretty good an tiring so I felt as flat as a pancake after

Updated February 16th, 2010 at 09:27 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized