View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Day Two Blow Out @ VMST, Sunday, Feb.14

by , February 14th, 2010 at 08:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Day 2, VMST Meet @ Richmond:

The day had it's ups and downs, but good fun was had by all. I made it through the day without a repeat of the cramps/spasms, but my calves were sore and a bit crampy all day. At Nats, I got a massage right after this happened and it seemed to help. I just had to swim with sore and rather leaden legs today. But I had a blast with old and new friends. Here was my schedule:

3:00 am: Wake up and don't go back to sleep. This was apparently a common issue, as every PV swimmer reported a night of bad sleep at their hotel.

6:30 am: Drag body out of bed and have bad hotel coffee. Body was in shock as it was used to getting up at 9:30 am. lol

7:40 am: Get in for warm up. Felt crappy and and I had a queasy stomach that persisted all day. Donned B70 suit, which developed a small hole in the thigh seam yesterday.

8:50 am: 1st event: 100 breast, 1:15

Frankly, for the way I was feeling and the time of day, I was very happy with this time. I tried to emphasize long pull outs. I was very tickled when Patrick's father commented on them. I had to concentrate on not DQ-ing the second 100, which wasn't easy with a certain RMST swimmer trying to make me laugh. (This was just payback for me getting him to laugh during his 400 IM.)

SwimShark video'd the race for me. I could see that my head position is still off and my kick looks fairly non-existent. My pull has improved. I noticed that I had to float to the surface a couple times after the pull out as I was too deep. This might have cost me a second or so. Still, not bad for my very first 100 breast in 3+ decades.

10:00am: 50 free, 26.2

Not so hot. I think I've gone slower than that once or twice in the last couple years. Perhaps I would have been under 26 in a different pool. Still, not a great in season effort. Meh.

10:30 am: Trying to take Jimi's advice about taking a hot shower and hitting the sore calves. Lost track of time. Came out and my heat of the 100 fly was on the blocks. I had been dreading this event anyway. It's not very fun to swim fly with sore legs. I'm definitely a huge weenie baby about pain when it comes to this event. So I did not grieve about missing it.

11:19:55 am: B70 blow out in the ass and I am forced to pull a Clydesdale and flash the crowd. And then do it again 25 seconds later. See below. This happened to me in Jan 2009 with an old B70, but in the locker room, not while stepping on the friggin block. This suit is new (6 swims), and I am hoping B70 will replace it and have my size. This was supposed to be my suit for Nats ...

11:20am: Fun Unofficial "Couples" Mixed 200 free relay

There was almost an entire heat of "couples;" each person swam two relay legs. I swam this relay as a "cheater couple" with my teammate William. Since I was there and had missed fly, I thought more speed work was called for. William and I actually won, with Jenn and John coming in second. (See victorious duo in photo below.) I led off in 26.5 going about 90-95%. So this seemed relatively better than my open 50. However, with only 25 seconds or so of rest and having to get out of the pool, the second 50 was rough, very rough. With about 10 yards to go, my body just shut down and stopped moving. Another teammate was worried I might "go vertical." This trauma further dissuades me from thoughts of the 100 free or going out super duper fast in a 100. Jennifer O'Reilly, with more talent and brains, was sensible and swam her 2 50s like a 100. I was just a sprinter dunce. Julie said she actually felt better on the second 50. I love her, but we are from different swimming planets. lol

12:30 am: A bunch of us went out to lunch and had a great time. I was sitting next to Chris' wife and it was nice to chat with her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

So here are my thoughts and what I have learned:

1. I have to get this cramping thing resolved. I think I likely have a calcium, magnesium, potassium, electrolite deficiency. I stopped drinking gatorade or G2 again this last week or so b/c it was giving me heartburn. I need to find a workout/recovery drink instead of just plain water. I may have to reorder Endura, which I recall is gluten and dairy free. Or maybe try Nuun; I know some triathletes swear by it. http://www.nuun.com/

2. Never go to meets with a 7:30 am warm up. Just don't do it. Stick to my meet "rules." My next two meets are at seemly times.

3. Don't go to meets when I'm out of the water so much the week before, especially early on in the week. Usually, when I do a mini taper for a meet, I'm in the water every day. Between that and cabin fever, I felt like crap.

4. Don't slam the legs within 7 days of a meet. I usually don't do drylands or weights for the entire week before a meet (aside from light core). I slammed my legs with killer workouts the Sat & Sun during the blizzard before this meet and didn't recover. Frankly, I'm not sure I had fully recovered from my deep tissue massage either. She went very deep. So I think I mistimed things a bit and didn't listen to my instincts. Though I would have missed good fun had I stayed home, and fun is key to sustaining life as a masters swimmer.

5. Less is more somtimes. It's perfectly fine to swim fewer events if that's how I'm feeling. Some meets I can only swim a couple events per day, some I can swim more (especially if it's a long meet, which is definitely my preference). Doing essentially 4 races today in a quick meet was plenty. I just don't recover like Aquaman, and it ain't in my head like Muppet asserts. Clay Britt always says that if you have 1-2 good swims a meet, that's something. So I'm thinking my 100 evil is the "something."

6. A couple pics from the meet attached below. One is of Chris during his 400 IM. He is getting "higher" in the pull phase. Another is Chris and Jeff at the start of the 100 fly. The best race of the day was Jeff Roddin, posing with beer below, schooling a 20 year old in a super fast 100 IM. He has a fantastically fast back to breast turn. I wish I had video'd the race.

7. Oh, I have to learn how to warm up for a 200, if I ever have the gumption to do one again. Though it's hard to tell with the cramping issue, whatever I did yesterday didn't seem right. I've felt faster in practice. I did do a pace 50 and my time was slower than usual too. Advice please!

8. And for my last rumination/rant, I cannot effen believe that our schools are still closed tomorrow ...

Updated February 15th, 2010 at 09:18 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020099.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	6355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020105.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	6356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020118.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	6357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020109.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	6358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020104.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	6359  

2. The Grownup in the Room

Sunday workout: 3000 yards. First time I've hit 3000 in about 3 weeks.

Also had to yell at a couple of kids who were rough housing in the pool area. God, I always feel so old when I do things like that.

The flip turns are definitely improving. I did really well with the freestyle turns and started working on the backstroke turns again, with decent results. I didn't push it, though--ended on a strong note, then started working on something else.

My breaststroke is getting better, too. Happiness!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Mattress purchase and a arun!

by , February 14th, 2010 at 05:33 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well went out and bought a mattress today... it's been 10 years so it was time. My god they showed us a $3k item...are they nuts?

Ended up out for less than 1/3 of that for a pillowtop queen, free sheets, and ipod clock/radio. Either way, Mrs Stud is a supreme haggler and knows a great deal when she sees it...after all she married me, right?

Went for a run at 5 and did a bout 3 - 3.5 in 30 minutes..not bad for hilly country and on crappy sneakers..i'll have to purchase some nicer ones if I keep this up. I don't use my nice indoor runners for outside in the grit.

Well that's my day, off to have a Muscle Milk, soak in the hot tub and make some fettuccine for later. Happy Valentine's Day!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Book Review: Racing Weight

by , February 14th, 2010 at 04:01 PM (Random Nonsense)
    First, let me address the negative review on Amazon.

Unfortunately, he does fall back into some of the party-line statements about diet and calorie consumption that have been outdated or completely disproved.
    I saw more references to papers written in the last 3 years than I normally see in journal articles. I wish this guy specified exactly what he is referring too.

For instance, he touts the discredited theory that muscle burns 40-50kcal per pound whereas fat only burns 3-5kcal. This factors heavily into his argument for being lean rather than just light, but it IS NOT TRUE. Muscle does burn more calories, but the two numbers are more like 4-6kcal/lb for muscle and 3-5kcal/lb for fat. It is a small difference overall.
    For an athlete, muscle burns more calories than fat, because muscle does work during exercise and fat does not. This does not factor at all into the author's promotion of lean vs light. The book targets land based endurance athletes, so knowing that, when would you choice a light weight high body fat percentage vs a light weight low body fat percentage? I cannot think of a case to be made for "light".

And he also touches on nutrient timing for performance, which is GOOD. But he too easily slips into saying that you can also change up the times of the day that you eat in order to lose more weight. Also, not so much.
    The author makes a point that controlling the appetite is a key to losing weight. If you aren't hungry, it is easy not to eat. The author didn't make any claims that I saw stating that you could lose weight using two meal timings with the exact same calorie content. He did suggest that what you eat affects your body composition (3,000 calories of Krispy Kreme's is not the same as 3,000 calories of vegetables, lean protein and healthy fats when the body determines if it needs to store energy as fat or use energy to grow muscle).

Here is the complete [ame="http://www.amazon.com/review/RTXSDG4IS6ID3/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#RTXSDG4IS6ID3"]review[/ame].

What I got out of the book.

A lot of what is in the book is not news to me, but I have never seen all this information put in one place (except Fort's recent blog posts). The author wraps it up in a nice package that really does make a lot of sense.

I estimated that I lost 7 pounds of muscle during my time off swimming and lifting in January. The author estimates 5 pounds of muscle gain a year is pretty good. Oops.

There was a swimmer profiled, Brad Culp, show supposedly gained 40lbs of muscle in 4 months. I need to see if I can find out more about that.

Here is what I am going to change after reading the book.

- I am going to continue to eat a green vegetable at lunch and dinner along with lean protein. This is the cutting diet I have been following to punish myself for slipping on the ice.
    - I am going to add to this base meal plan additional carbohydrates based on that days exercise load. Initially I will add a scoop of Endurox after workout. I may start including Endurox (or similar) during workout. Carb+protein post workout I had been doing before January. The author makes a good case for doing both.
    - I am going to try tracking my meals, exercise (test sets and volume) and weight. The author recommended trainingpeaks.com for this. What gets measured, gets managed.
    - Once my weight stabilizes, I want to experiment with an "anabolic diet." Sounds fancy, but it is really simple. Eat more than your maintenance calories to allow your body enough energy to increase muscle mass. To kick your body into this state, you need an excess of only 100 calories a day. This was news to me, and it is great, since the risk is only about a pound of fat a month.
    - I am going to stay away from processed grain. Additional carbs at meals will be added in the form of beans, lentils, root vegetables and similar. The author makes a good point that without appetite, losing weight/maintaining ideal weight would be easy. Anything that takes longer to eat and longer to digest aides in suppressing the appetite. If you can eat 1,000 calories in 5 minutes, you won't know that you are actually satiated for another 15 to 20 minutes.
    - Protein is the most statisfying of the 3 macronutrients, so I will figure out what works out to 1.2 grams of protein/kg body mass and that will be my base amount of protein. 1.2 grams is more than enough protein for any level of muscle growth, it should help manage my appetite, and it will allow me to just have one variable of carbs in my meal plan.

Now it is time to read Athlete's Plate. About 100 pages about healthy eating and 150 pages of recipes.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Sunday swimming!

by , February 14th, 2010 at 02:27 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I am tired today! I felt beat up and in-effective in practice today. I am hoping to recoup by tomorrow. I have the day off and am meeting a fellow Nasti at Carmel Aquatic Center for a 5K workout. I'm glad I'm not doing it alone!
    Today's workout was short and I'm glad!

**200 Free Warm-up
    **200 Back Warm-up
    **6 X 100 (free) on 1:45 interval
    **200 Kick (flutter)
    **6 X 75 (alt IM and free) on 1:30 interval
    **200 Kick (dolfin)
    **6 x 50 Free :50 interval
    **200 Kick (flutter on back)
    **6 X 25 on :30 interval (back)
    **300 mixed cool-down swim

2,800 scy
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Checking in

by , February 14th, 2010 at 11:08 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    My last time in the water was last Tuesday. I've been sick with a sore throat and cold and just didn't have the energy to workout. I'm hoping to resume my training tomorrow. I'm tired of all the time.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. I sucked, Sat. Feb. 13

by , February 13th, 2010 at 10:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Everything was fun about today aside from my actual swim.

I'm not sure what my final time was, but I think it was 3-4 seconds slower than the last time I swam the 200 back. Couldn't see the electronic timing well, which only showed one lane at a time.

Problems:

1. Big número uno: I got double calf cramps on the start again, same as at Nats. This despite eating bananas, hydrating, using my inhaler and taking my "legs cramp" product. I'm frustrated about this. Dont really know how to avoid it. I've been stretching like crazy. Contemplating hopping out on the 3rd length, but didn't want the humiliation of a DNF. It's hard to swim a 200 back this way for me.

2. Felt like crap. Other PV swimmers who hadn't been in the water reported similar issues. Swimming 3 x a week doesn't cut it. I also realized that the pool I swam in Thursday was SCY, not SCM, so I was going slower than I thought.

3. Aside from the start, my underwaters sucked because the push offs hurt.

4. I don't know how to warm up for a 200. I've felt faster and felt like I had more endurance in practice than I did today.

5. The pool was too shallow for my taste and the water level wasn't high enough.

6. I just don't like travel meets all that much, except for Nats, which is always fun. And I tend not to sleep well away from home.

I vaguely contemplated just driving home tonight. But I decide to stay to watch friends swim, go to the social and experience gluten free beer at the Capital Ale pub. I have no expectations for tomorrow. I'm going to treat it like sprint practice. I'll be swimming very early, not my thing, anyway.

I did get to see some fast 400 IMs. Aquaman has made much progress in his breaststroke! Julie swam a very nice 500 free. And I re-met Patrick's father, as well as lots of other NOVA folks.

On an up note, my GMU teammate told me that GMU is now allowing people to pay per visit or purchase a ten visit pass. The former is outrageously expensive, the latter only mildly so. So I may go back to attending Sunday practices.

I'm going to read Runners World now and read about running shoes since I'm irked with
    swimming today. Looks like I need to try a Nike shie for forefront support.

Updated February 14th, 2010 at 06:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  8. Saturday

by , February 13th, 2010 at 10:05 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Carmel High School Girl's Swim Team wins 24th State title in a row!!!!
    Carmel scored 419 points walloping 2nd place Center Grove by more than 200 points. I cheered the Greyhounds on to victory with my eldest daughter Lindsay who swam for the Greyhounds 2001-2004! It was an amazing meet packed with tons of eye-popping swims! FUN! FUN!!! FUN!!!

I skipped the IU meet today. Last night's Graston Therapy yielded an extremely bruised shoulder/back area. I had a hard time sleeping last night. I wasn't sure if tylenol/Aleve/Motrin was a good idea for massive bruising so I withheld. The workout today made the area feel better today during my swim but it tightened up after the practice. Here is the workout:

**800 Freestyle warm-up swim
    **Super 600 Swim
    **6 X 100/50 Alternating on 2;00/1:00 (averaged1:24/41:00)
    **4 X 75 IM no free on 1;30
    **Super 500
    3,100 scy

Back to the Olympics!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. A Saturday by myself

by , February 13th, 2010 at 07:14 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    A little snow flurry and everyone freaks out down here. I had a great workout by myself today.

10x100@1:45 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd sprint
    10x50@1:00 Fly as 25 skull drill/25 swim
    10x100 Free w/paddles & bouy as 1-4@1:30, 5-7@1:25, 8-9@1:20, 10@1:15
    500 easy alt by 100 Back/Free
    500 kick w/fins alt by 50 fly/free

Total 4000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Speedo and A.H.I.P.

by , February 13th, 2010 at 12:39 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Yesterday, when I went to K-Mart to pick up some drugs, my chest felt weird in a painy kind of way, and people were asking me if I was all right. It is possible that various pressures of late have been escalating the graying of Jim. When I look in a mirror lately, something I try to avoid, it's hard for even me to ignore a certain corpse-like quality that is accelerating its hold on my features.

While awaiting the prescription re-fill for what is, in effect, a legal form of speed without which perambulation itself would go from excruciating to impossible, I decided to check my blood pressure.

I was hoping for either low/normal readings, which might preminisce a few more good months; or astronomically high readings, which might indicate more immediate relief of some species is at hand.

The results were equivocal.

158/78 with a pulse of 40.

Since I am not close to meeting my deductible, going to a doctor for an informed opinion was, of course, out of the question.

I made the diagnosis myself:

Systolic blood pressure: high.
    Will to live: low.

I think one of the factors that set off yesterday's red hydraulic pressure spike (which strangely enough managed to add no color whatsoever to my skin, which has remained uniformly crepey and cadaverous) was an AP story on the WellPoint health insurance company's decision to raise the rates on some of its individual customers in California by 39 percent.

California, according to our esteemed free marketeer and fiscal austerity booster, J.L., has much better regulations and protections for individual consumers than my own state of Pennsylvania. I intuited that whatever species of buggery is allowed in California is thus likely to transform itself into an even more rapacious form of rectal rape in less progressive states.

Today, I woke to find that California is not alone in this massive increase in rates for those of us caught in a death spiral.

Please consider checking out today's AP story at http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...tesstates.html

A few sample quotes:

• "We frankly have been very frustrated by the size of these increases," Pingree told The Associated Press. "Obviously, they are attempting to price certain people out of the market."

• "Premiums are far more volatile for individual policies than for those bought by employers and other large groups, which have bargaining clout and a sizable pool of people among which to spread risk. As more people have lost jobs, many who are healthy have decided to go without health insurance or get a bare-bones, high-deductible policy, reducing the amount of premiums insurers receive."

As regular readers of this vlog might have realized by now, this topic of health insurance is one that has been bugging the Holy Living Bejesus out of me for the past several years.

One of things that has proven particularly onerous to me is the "advice" I have received from the J.L.'s of the world, advice that is usually offered in both a condescending and bamboozingly uninformed way. It boils down to this: there is a Magic Solution out there for you, but you are not looking hard enough for it.

Check out this high-deductible plan from AARP.

Join an association.

Do something.

And if none of these things work, move.

Mr. J.L., I do hope you have access to good proctological care, because it appears to this layman that you have a severe pre-existing condition here.

Like blind men examining an elephant, I know that my perspective on the health insurance situation in our country is parochial at best.
    For most of my life, I have been by most reasonable definitions a middle class person.
    This is starting to slip away with increasing alacrity, and it has not made me into what, by most reasonable definitions, could be called a better person.

I feel for the first time in my life a very strong sense of prejudice and discrimination-–feel free to laugh if you want, J.L., but there you have it.

When I decided to pursue my career as a magazine writer in the early 1980s, I knew that it would not be the easiest route to a secure life. I knew that I would have no employer to match my social security contributions, and hence have been paying 15 percent off the top of everything I’ve earned.

I knew, as well, that I would have to pay for my family’s health insurance premiums.

What I didn’t know then, and I am not sure anyone would have been able to predict this, is that:

* two of the most commonly treated conditions in the U.S.–-depression and high cholesterol-–would render both my wife and me uninsurable if we ever tried to change policies after going on treatment for these

* that the policy we bought at the time, and found quite affordable when we were 31 and 27 respectively, now takes up 40 percent of our pre-tax income.

This is the part of the elephant I am looking at, and I assure you, it is a very disgusting part indeed.

You may want to write this off as a political rant, Mr. J.L. and your Ayn Rand love-slave ilk, but I am telling you, I have spent the last year looking at options to get out of this trap, and the only possibilities I can find are to give up insurance altogether, or to try to lower my income to the point where we will qualify for a state-aided policy that is basically a welfare kind of thing.

J.L., you may have the luxury of getting all huffy about this in a political sense, but I am certain it does not effect you in a personal way. You sound like you are old enough to be retired; chances are you are sucking the socialist teat of Medicare already, the kind of socialism I suspect you independents with the little i’s rant against when it’s offered to anybody else.

Again, I am slipping into ad hominem territory here, and I apologize. It’s just so damnably frustrating to have no way out and the responsibility of your family on your shoulders and a sense that the system is rigged against you.

All of which circles me back to the title of today's vlog: Speedo and A.H.I.P.

As most of us suspect, Speedo's decision to add a rubber-like flotation material to the LSR suit, which soon lead to competitors, from B70 to Jaked, adding even more rubber-like flotation materials to their racing suits, appears to have been the final straw that forced FINA's hand.

This overreaching on Speedo's part, in my opinion, was what killed the golden goose. If they had stuck with pure textiles, and world records had continued to fall on some reasonable schedule--as opposed to an explosion of them--I suspect that FINA would have never had to ban tech suits.

Speedo would still be selling $400 FastPros and the like.

I, for one, will never spend more than $25 on a swimming suit again in my life.

My prediction: America's Health Insurance Plans (AHIP), the lobby "representing nearly 1300 member companies providing health insurance coverage to more than 200 million Americans," should have learned from Speedo's mistake.

Go ahead and raise rates by 10-39 percent per year till virtually all people in my boat are uninsured, leaving only the best actuarial "risks" with private insurance.

At some point, this is going to come back to bite you.

I only hope I live to see the day.

American Private Health Insurance
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. 2/12/10 Fly torture...I know, I'll do a test set...

by , February 12th, 2010 at 09:33 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    So I decided I'd work on fly a bit today...it is thoroughly depressing, it feels like fly is getting worse not better.

200 Swim
    200 Kick
    200 Pull

4 x 50 Fly drill (full stops, and fly with pull buoy)
    4 x 50 1 arm
    4 x 50 swim...terrible.
    4 x 50 EZ
    10 x 100 FR 1:30 mad 1-4 skipped 5, 6 & 7 skipped 8 did 9 & 10. I think I need to do this when fresher...not after buttertorture.

4 x 50 EZ
    4 through:
    50 K fast 1:15
    100 Swim 1:45
    I think this kick and swim set is a good combo and will be fun to do again when I can kick harder and not have to worry about circle swimming etc.

300 Cool down

Lifted after as usual got in most of my workout but had to skip the ab machine but I'll do some crunches before bed.

Updated February 12th, 2010 at 09:43 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Friday, Feb. 12

by , February 12th, 2010 at 08:59 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/Solo/SCY:

Warm up:

750 various

Main Sets:

10 x 25 shooters on back

10 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly @ 100 pace
    evens = EZ

50 EZ

1 x 50 back w/fins @ 200 pace (27.5)

50 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)
    2 free, 2 breast

50 EZ

Total: 1900

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Felt pretty decent in the water today despite my lack of H2O this week. Had some easy speed and good DPS. Leaving tomorrow am for Richmond.

Made the mistake of taking a few young kids to see The Lightning Thief. The mall was completely overrun, parking and driving was a mess. I just don't have the patience for that nonsense. Had total mall syndrome ...

Off to pack for Richmond now and will stretch later. I've found that I tend to do it if my yoga mat is out. Odd little psychological trick.

Absolutely no reading occurred today.

Updated February 12th, 2010 at 09:11 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. A learning experience

Well, things didn't go exactly as planned, and I now have lots of data to try and analyze.....

WARNING: Lots of talk about bodily functions to follow.

I showed up at the pool at 7 AM, set my 2 gallon spigot container on the block next to my cup (with a bit of masking tape marking 5 oz. Into the locker room to change into an Endurance square leg (a mistake) and Willie and I were ready to start at about 7:15. I grabbed a cup of coffee on the way in and so that was the only thing in my stomach at the moment.

We cruised through the first set:
    10x100 @ 1:30
    10x200 @ 3:00
    10X300 @ 4:30
    10x400 @ 6:00
    10X500 @ 7:30

I held onto my feeding plan (5oz. every 15 minutes) and was surprised at how gassy I was feeling... good thing for porous textile suits. I had no urge to urinate, and this caused me some concern but after 3 hrs 45 min, I took a visit to the boys room to make an effort. The result was a pathetic little trickle and highly concentrated....
    I consumed 75 oz and neither the air nor water temps were high. Was I not drinking enough? Was my body not absorbing my feeds?

Willie left and I began the second set:
    15x1000 @ 15:00

I was starting to feel bloated, but continued feeding regularly. My legs were starting to tighten up, so now my push-offs have devolved into gentle tippy toe touches that do little to propel me into my next length. As a result, the once generous 1:30/100 base interval is tightening up..... I take a couple of extra minutes to let some cramping settle out of my legs.

My friend Lance shows up about now... drove up from NYC to swim a couple of hours with me; we get moving into the 1000's.

After the 9th 1000, I have to purge big time. Goes in pink; comes out purple. Though I don't have a graduated cylinder, I would assume that this event could account for 80% of what I drank so far....sad to say, I can't make eye contact with my container of maxim. My purge-o-rama continues through the next 6x1000's requiring a visit to the porcelain every 2000. My throat is really sore, my stomach uneasy, I decide to sit it out for a bit to see if conditions improve.

After an hour, I decide to call it a day @ 30,000. My legs are tight, but not cramped. My shoulders feel good. My stomach, not so much. I've got some nasty chaffing on my groin.. should have used some bag balm. I've been pissing like a racehorse for the last 2 hours.

I'm not sure why I was unable to process the Maxim, but this is something I will be looking into with much concern in the weeks to come.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. DOUBLE FAST FRI Feb 12th 2010

by , February 12th, 2010 at 04:09 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    DOUBLE FAST FRI Feb 12th 2010

wanted to see if I could improve this morning's 200 IM

Subscribe to this Blog

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool, blocks & bulkhead in on North end of pool
    Tyler coached
    noon to 1:15 (Dove in 12:15, left 1:00)
    swam with Max, Larry, James Fike, Steve Martyak & Patrick Evoe

wore B70 full

warm up:
    500 easy

then rested & put on a B70 FULL

200 IM fast for time in heats off block
    went 2:00.5
    1:32ish
    2:00.5 (tyler timed)

100 easy

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010 Austin, TX UT Swim Center
    Austin Grand Prix
    Count Down

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -02/15/10

by , February 12th, 2010 at 02:10 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    1 X 400 6:15
    4 X 75 1:15
    1 X 300 4:30
    4 X 50 :50
    1 X 200 3:00
    8 X 25 :30

1 X 100 kick 2:15
    4 X 25 kick*fast* :45
    1 X 100 kick 2:15
    8 X 25 kick*fast* :45
    1 X 200 kick -

1 X 400 Transition swim
    50 stroke/50 free

4 X 50 1 of each 1:00 :55 :50
    1 X 100 easy free 2:00
    Three times through. Round 1 intervals left, round 2 middle, round 3 right.

3 X 300 4:30
    3 X 200 2:50
    3 X 100 1:20

WARM UP: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5600Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. FAST FRI Feb 12th 2010

by , February 12th, 2010 at 12:22 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST FRI Feb 12th 2010

Subscribe to this Blog

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    whitney coached
    5:30 - 6:45
    swam with Todd

beside Mike Tyler Ned & Tenille
    wore B70 full

warm up:
    board said do 1,000 stop at 5:50

MAIN SET

50 fast SDK for time in heats
    went 24

150 easy

100 fr fast for time
    2 beat kicked 85 yds 6 beat kicked the last 15 meters
    went 52

200 easy

200 IM fast for time in heats
    went 2:02
    todd said I split it 1:01 1:01
    went 33 on br, 28 on fr

400 easy

500 fr fast for time
    went 5:09

assigned: 1,000 easy
    did: 200 or 300

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010 Austin, TX UT Swim Center
    Austin Grand Prix
    Count Down

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Snow way! 12.5 inches of snow in Dallas

by , February 12th, 2010 at 10:11 AM (Random Nonsense)
    FTS

The only snow plows I knew of before today were the ones the airport keeps. DOT must have some too, because the highways were great driving to work, but nothing else was cleared except from use. For the most part, the roads should be fine by later today, although it is not supposed to be warm enough to melt off the snow until Sunday. I will be very careful walking outside

Random Updates

Ribs: They are good. They are a little sore at the end of the day, but I think that is because my upper left side had not been used for six weeks and now is getting used twice a day. I am lifting very light weights, but I only attempted a pullover and have not attempted a pull up at all. For those who missed it, I bruised my ribs when I was taking an arm load of recyclables to the curb and slipped on a patch of ice on the driveway leftover from the snow Christmas eve. My first, and hopefully last, white Christmas.

It took six weeks until my ribs felt good enough to train again, but I caught a cold that kept me out of the water for another week. Seven weeks was probably better anyway.

Cold: Took about 10 days to really feel good again. Today is day 14, and I am probably a little snottier than usual, but between allergies and cold weather, I am not sure I would be any different if I hadn't had a cold. I always think colds take about 3 days to get over, so for future reference, 10 days.

Diet: I am on a greens and lean protein Sun-Friday diet. Saturday anything goes. This was fine when I wasn't swimming, but it is harder now that I am swimming again. No weight goal, the goal was just to get cut while I couldn't swim or lift and the loss of power was rather meaningless. I had NO idea I was carrying as much fat as I was. Based on a study I read, I estimate I lost 3 pounds of muscle for every 7 pounds of fat since I wasn't able to lift during that time.

Long term, this diet will probably morph into something based on all the research Fort is doing for me My diet will have to change again, since I am currently operating at a caloric debt of 1600 calories/day.

How lean am I? There is currently definition in my stomach, but I don't have an 8 pack... yet. Of course Tantra says I have 16+% body fat today, so... 20+ lbs in 6 weeks.

Books: I joined TFBC (The Fortress Book Club) and ordered this month's book, Racing Weight.

I also ordered Athlete's Plate and Championship Swim Training. Athlete's Plate is for the green vegetable recipes more than the locally grown organic holistic dirtylonghairedhippie eating philosophy. I will read the preaching as well, because he does cite sources and there is going to be some useful information in that section. Championship Swim Training will hopefully give me a better understanding of training.

Next Meet: I have not even signed up for the next meet. I am interested to swim again, but not really excited with only 3 weeks of water time before the meet. Bleh. Finis was also sold out of full body suits in my size, so I will be wearing a regular suit.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Easy Thursday

Class workout tonight was a short & sweet 2000 yards. Coach spent a lot of time going over the results of our hour swims. Then we spent seemingly 20 minutes fighting with cameras.

Very psyched that the Winter Olympics start tonight. Okay, maybe there's no swimming, but there's tons of other neat sports, including one of my longtime favorites, figure skating.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Fabulous Friday

by , February 12th, 2010 at 08:45 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I hoisted myself out of bed at 4:45 a.m. to make it to the Monon Center by 5:15 a.m. We were supposed to have a going away party for our art teacher at 7:15 a.m. so I was on a mission. I sis this workout quick as possible:

**500 Freestyle Building Momentum
    **200 Freestyle Pull (buoy and paddles)
    **200 Free kick with board and fins
    **500 Free (at least 10 sec faster than first one)
    **200 Freestyle pull (buoy and paddles)
    **200 Back Kick with fins
    **500 Freestyle Swim (20 seconds faster than first)
    **10 X 50 Free on 1:00 (all between :40-:42)
    **300 reverse IM cool-down swim
    3,100 scy

I hustled in the locker room and raced out to my car. WOW it was coooldddd outside!
    As I pulled out of the tree and brush laden Monon Central Park I noticed everything was coated with a thin brittle of ice! The shimmery glaze coupled with my headlights gave a surreal appearance of jewel-covered splendor to the the great outdoors!
    The air was so cold that the moisture was crystallizing into a glistening fog. It was scary beautiful!
    I suddenly noticed my Blackberry's light blinking at me. I hit the message berry and discovered to my JOY that I have a 2 hour delay today!
    After a quick Starbucks detour I made it to school and settled into my desk! I'm going to work on an all day presentation I have coming up in March! This will give me lots more free time this week-end!!

I'm still not sure if I'm going to the IU meet tomorrow. I felt great swimming today however my chiropractor/grasston session tonight may cause me to feel otherwise!
    Have a great Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Updated February 12th, 2010 at 10:01 AM by Bobinator (mis-speeliing)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Long Course Flyin

by , February 12th, 2010 at 08:20 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Yes another long course day and that means fly and lots of it. Scares away potential lane mates!

5x200@3:45 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins easy
    500 Fly w/fins in 8:41
    500 Free kick w/fins easy recovery
    4x50@1:00 Fly w/fins
    300 Free easy

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized