View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Not a bad first day at Nat's

by , May 20th, 2010 at 07:04 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just snuck into 10th place in the 1650 Free with a 21:50.37. Only 4 seconds off my time from last year so that is fine by me.

I am hoping to get my sprints back so this ok. Would like a colder pool but then I really like to compete in 78 degree water.

Total yardage Wed - 2000 yards and Thurs 3150 yards

Next up short stuff
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Atlanta, May 20

by , May 20th, 2010 at 06:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I had an easy trip to Atlanta on a flight with my teammate Barb and Jazzy. Jazz was very psyched to learn that Speedo had procured him a LZR for his upcoming grueling 200 free.

We headed straight from the airport to the pool. Got there with sufficient time to check in, register our relays and swim for 30 minutes in the competition pool. The pool is sweet and feels very fast. I felt pretty good in the water. My backstroke was a little funky at first, but then smoothed out. I did 2 forward starts, one good and one blah. The backstroke starts will be interesting. They've got both vertical and horizontal bars. I'm going to use the vertical ones. However, the FINA wall is somewhat slippery. I did one start with my feet placed high on the wall, but felt like I went too deep. I may try and do another start tomorrow when the day's events are over. Otherwise, I'll put my feet a bit lower.

Off soon for dinner with friends. Then time to let 'er rip!

I've met some new people, and hope to meet more. Hopefully no one will want to punch me like they do Geek.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Further Atlanta observations

by , May 20th, 2010 at 03:10 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    This is the fourth Nationals I've been to and have to say that it's looking like the best run I've seen yet!

Today's observations:

1. Located much larger locker room as qbrain mentioned. It is down the hall from the smaller one.

2. Hospitality room is on the hallway on the way to the bigger locker room. Very good food selection and lots of tables on deck where you can sit down and eat.

3. Glad I got the gold parking pass. The parking lot is right out the door and not crowded at all. Kind of glad I can leave lots of stuff in my car since it is so close.

3. Got a chiropractic adjustment from a darling young man who is with Life University. The adjustment was great and it was FREE!

4. Swam in the diving well after the adjustment - about 1,000 yards. Not overly crowded - about 3 or 4 to a lane. The water temp was warmer than competition pool which I like because I don't like to get cold when I'm warming up.

5. Free shampoo, conditioner, and body wash provided in the locker room in the shower area! This was awesome as I forgot my shampoo.

6. Lots of vendors and very easy to get to.

7. Many more mesos today, both swimming in the distance events and warming-up.

8. I actually changed in the small locker room just to see how crowded it was and it was not crowded at all! It is so close to the pool that I may stick with it afterall.

Lots of friendly folks around. Looking forward to seeing some more tomorrow.

Congrats to Geek for a fine swim in the 1,000! Looks like his training is paying off! Also, congrats to Kristin Aziz for breaking 20 minutes in the 1650!

Updated May 20th, 2010 at 03:29 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. May 19, 2010 workout

by , May 20th, 2010 at 01:19 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol
    Light Drizzle - 60's (Last year it was 98)

Warm 2x100FR 200 IM Drill

3x300IM on 5:00 S/K/P
    1x300 BR K on 6:00
    10x50 P Fly/BK/BR 1:00
    10x50 K w/mono Fly Bk / Fly on 1:00
    8x50 IM order on 1:00
    (workout cut short, everyone was leaving early)
    100cool
    2900 scy

Started Pilates in the morning when I first wake up (4am) about 2 weeks ago, its made a difference in my flexibility and my cervical rediculitus; base of the neck vertebrae pinching the exiting nerve. Which by the way has healed faster with the Pilates routines than the bogus physical therapy. Started going to the gym last week, mostly just to change after getting off the bus and get some dry-land in before pool time. I'm doing Assisted Pull-ups and dips and pull downs and whatever I can get in in 15-20 minutes. The gym has slowed me down a bit and made the workouts more painful, but that's the price of progress.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. In Atlanta

by , May 19th, 2010 at 10:46 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Got to the Tech pool around 4:30 today to register and do a warm-up/workout in the pool. Really glad that I got over here today as there was only one guy in my lane. After he got out, I even had the lane to myself for about 15 minutes.

I hear tomorrow is going to be a zoo with everybody coming in to grab a swim when the pool opens up after the competition. I had not planned to swim tomorrow as I've got plans to possibly see some family and friends. I felt a little bit tight today, so I may have to go over to Emory at some point tomorrow and snag some pool time there just to avoid the crowds.

Today, I got in about 1800 of various sets and easy swims. Part of me wanted to get my HR up, but another part of me, the super protective part, wouldn't let me get my HR up over 140. No good to leave my race in the practice pool. On the other hand, I'm hoping I won't be sluggish when I race.

Observations:

1. The meet planners and volunteers seem to be extremely prepared and very much on top of things.

2. There are plenty of signs directing you where to go.

3. Water temp was great. Very refreshing, but not too cold. Perfect for racing.

4. Walls are flat and easy to turn on the 25/75, but hard to get out when you finish. I swam over to the side ladder to get out which I never do.

5. Lifeguards are being very helpful.

6. Enjoyed the music they were playing. I heard some good fifties and sixties stuff playing. Sorry Geek.

7. Air felt good to me. Didn't have any breathing issues.

8. Do not like the locker room. It has no benches and just a few stools. The changing area is one big area the size of a classroom. No privacy vis a vis rows of lockers at all. We will be staring at each other as we shove our bodies into our suits. I'm even considering putting on my suit in my room and leaving the straps down and unzipped. I'll throw on a pair of shorts over the suit and a t-shirt and just drive/ride over to the pool.

9. I'v heard there may be another locker room around. May have to check this out tomorrow.

10. I was a goof-off today in the pool compared to most in there swimming. I guess the distance types are in there. I know some that probably go nearly as fast in these types of workouts as they do in a race. In any case, I felt like a seriously lazy sprinter.

11. Saw mainly two body types with the men and the women: ectomorphs and endomorphs. Saw very few mesos, but I guess the meso events aren't until Friday, so maybe this is why I didn't see many. I'm a meso, so kind of felt out of place.

During my workout, there was a skinny girl in the lane next to me moving it out really fast in freestyle. I'd use her to try to get my HR up when I was doing a few 50s. To get my HR up, I even tried to remind myself that the little skinny girl should not be able to swim that fast. Alas, the overprotective side of me made me back down.

Updated May 19th, 2010 at 10:54 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. I just have one thing to do

and that is to kick Paul Wolf's ass in the 200 free. Hopefully the massive amount of razor burn now covering my body will aid in that endeavor.

I will see everyone who will be at Nationals Friday.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Wednesday, May 19, 2010

by , May 19th, 2010 at 09:51 PM (Keepin Track 2010)
    Lots of PT today and yesterday to loosen back, hammies, hip flexors, and glutes. I sure hope the loosey goosey pays off. I am not liking the pressure I feel tonight. Try to dissipate it in a sec here.

Dan feeling better-AWESOME!

WU 200FR/BA mix
    KICK 100 alt FR?BA
    KICK 100 BR work wide and high heels
    4-6 x 25 BR

4x50 FR on 1:00 build up rest 1:00
    4x50 on 1:00 BR build up

easy 50

8x25 (alt kick 25, easy swim 25)

chat!

4x25 sprints (IM order)

150 WD
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Tuesday, May 18, 2010

by , May 19th, 2010 at 09:47 PM (Keepin Track 2010)
    Last team workout for the season:

WU (Coach cut us short to do more as a team).
    200 mix BA/FR
    100 kick
    50 BR

2x50 Kick work foot speed (1 FR, 1BR)

4x25 stroke count work long on :40
    4x25 stroke count work faster hold 15-16sec on :30

2x50 kick foot speed (1FR 1BR)

2x4x50 FR on :45 hold average

50 easy

2x (50 drill on 1:30, 50 BU on 1:30, 2x25 swim hard on :45) 1st set BR 2nd set FL/BA

relay exchanges (about 8)

warm down and practice turns (flat walls)

WD 100
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Not in NYC

Tuesday morning I did my 1000-yard warmup at the Y right down the street from me. Since it was before 6am, the pool was not at all crowded, but I did get to see a couple of open-water swimmers I hadn’t run across for a while (one of them training for MIMS—her yardage and mine that day were way on opposite ends of the spectrum!)

Then I headed off to the airport—my flight was super crowded (the one an hour before to ATL had been cancelled) and about an hour late, but that’s par for the course at Laguardia. After landing in ATL, I got my luggage and car and headed off for Alabama.

The drive from Atlanta to my hometown takes about 4 hours. The first 1.5h is on interstate, and isn’t all that interesting. The last 2+ hours, though, are on a little 2-lane state road that meanders through woods and farmland and down the main streets of a half-dozen small towns. It is a gorgeous drive, and the really amazing thing about it is that not once do I pass by a chain restaurant or store or even gas station—no McDonalds or Gaps or Walmarts in sight, and definitely no Starbucks! Except for the other occasional cars on the road, nothing I see would look out of place in the 1960s or 70s It’s pretty amazing, and makes me feel way far away from New York City very quickly. When I start passing through towns that my basketball team played back high school, I know I’m getting close to home.

(I don’t think all the little towns I drive through have really been passed over by the modern world. It’s likely that they’re like my hometown, where Main Street is home to older local businesses, and fast food places and Walmart have congregated a bit outside of town. But it’s funny to not even see any billboards or signs for them on the state road.)

So far my time down here has been very relaxing. Enterprise is beyond mellow. I’m visiting with my mom and aunt, aka “Thelma” and “Louise,” and they are quite a pair.

Death and burials seem to be a theme this visit. So we’ve discussed T&L’s 20 aunts and uncles (they all have names like Buford or Condy or Mina Lee), and when and how each died (only 1 is still living, and they’re not absolutely certain about him). Today, we visited two different cemeteries in order to refresh various plastic flower arrangements. While there, we also drove verrrrry slowly through the car pathways while discussing who is buried where, what sorts of flowers look best on graves, and whether new graves should be reseeded immediately or allowed to “settle” for a few months first. This whole town is also plastered with campaign signs—for coroner. It seems that is the intriguing race this political season.

My main swimming-related focus during my time down here is eating healthy—I’m trying to stay away from fried foods and desserts. I finally got out my B70 to show to my aunt, who loves pushing desserts on me, and she reluctantly agreed that maybe cake was not the best thing for someone hoping to fit themselves into such a garment. I was also successful in staying away from the fire ant beds in the cemeteries today, so that’s probably also a plus on the meet prep side.

I’ll leave tomorrow morning for Atlanta. Looking forward to the meet finally starting!
    Tags: alabama
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Wednesday, May 19

by , May 19th, 2010 at 03:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 various

4 x 25 long evil pullouts w/2 quick strokes

4 x 25 no breather free

100 EZ

Total: 1000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I'm becoming a vacuous airhead. I missed my ART appt thinking it was at 1:30 instead of 1:00. Oh well, more time to pack and try on my suit.

I've heard the Georgia Tech pool conditions are arctic. So I'm bringing my parka and ugg boots. My USMS fleece jacket has mysteriously disappeared.

I'm all checked in for my flight, which I hope is on time.

For those staying near the pool, here is the tech trolly route/schedule:

http://www.parking.gatech.edu/info/1...lley_route.php

I will miss my wolfpack member, Jimby. But his twin photo shopped my lovely new profile pic just in time for Nats. For recent blog readers, the pic reflects the outcome of an inane "which superhero are you?" quiz I took years ago (thanks to Stud). The quiz result for me was "The Flash -- fast, athletic and flirtatious." Hence, the use of FAF in my blog title. The AFAP, of course, stands for my penchant for going as fast as possible in workouts. Ande suggested the blog title The FAF AFAP Digest, which I have always used.

Good luck to everyone at Nats!!!

Events for Nationals:

Friday:

50 breast, 12:15 pm
    100 fly, 2:50 pm
    200 mixed free relay, 3:50 pm
    (leading off w/a split request)

Saturday:

200 mixed medley relay, 10:05 am
    50 fly, 11:55 am
    50 back, 3:55 pm

Sunday:

100 IM, 11:10 am
    100 back, 1:50 pm

Real Time results link:

http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats10/realtime/

Updated May 19th, 2010 at 05:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. It's here!

by , May 19th, 2010 at 01:37 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Can't believe I'll be racing in less than 72 hours! Looking forward to seeing friends and swimming in the Georgia Tech pool for the first time.

Have been so busy tending to end-of-the year stuff with my son that I've not been able to pack or really think about the meet too much. Scary thing is that I'm hoping to get over to Atlanta at some point tomorrow. At least I have my swimsuits, caps, goggles, and towels packed. I'll be breaking in one of my B-70s at the Ga. Tech pool tomorrow just to be sure it fits o.k. Same size as the one I wore at Auburn (26), but just want to be sure it feels o.k.

Was talking to a fellow masters swimmer in my age-group who currently holds the top time in the 100 free and she agreed with me that the Pro provides much more flexibility in the legs. For this reason, I'm wearing my Pro for the 50 fly. I felt too constricted in the B-70 when I swam it at Auburn. The Pro has 4 swims on it from the one day meet at Athens in June 2009, so it should still be good. Also, it is my good luck suit as I swam a top ten LC time in it.

Will use my old B-70 from Auburn for the 200 back. I want to make sure I can breathe well! I'll break out the new one for my 100 free and later events.

Got in a 1,000 yard swim today. I'm actually going to do a little bit more tomorrow when I get to the Tech pool as I will need to loosen up after the drive over there. I was a little tight today, so can tell that I will need to do decent warm-ups each day.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Nasti Tuesday

by , May 18th, 2010 at 11:54 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    A strange workout short course meters:

**400 Freestyle Warm-up swim
    **7 X 200 Freestyle on 3:30
    **300 Kick (I did backstroke swim)
    **13 X 100 Freestyle on 1:45
    **200 Backstroke stretch
    **300 Freestyle (extra measure)
    **I ended up with 3,700 scm

I did a little extra after practice. I did a 175 every other 200 and a 75 every third 100 since I was getting very little rest on the interval.
    All said I hung in there pretty well.
    I think I'm getting used to extra meterage and extra practice. I'm starting to feel normal again.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. See Pap Sleep!

by , May 18th, 2010 at 07:26 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    The next appointment at the sleep lab wasn't supposed to happen till June 13th, but I asked them to call me if somebody canceled, and somebody did. So I go back tonight at 8 p.m. for round two.

A brief recap:

1. Regular readers of this vlog may recall that from time to time I have complained, well, not complained exactly, more like objectively described without emotion my experience with what sleep doctors call EDS, or excessive daytime sleepiness.
    2. One of our many, many capital fellows in the USMS greater community, Dr. Tom Jaeger of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, wrote in to suggest I take the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (which can be found here: http://www.bami.us/Sleep/SleepScale.html
    3. On the following scale, I was somewhere between very and dangerously:

• Score of 1-6: you're getting enough sleep
    • Score of 4-8: you tend to be sleepy during the day; this is the average score
    • Score of 9-15: you are very sleepy and should seek medical advice
    • Score of 16 or greater: you are dangerously sleepy and should seek medical advice

Car crashes--and presumably Honda Metropolitan scooter crashes, as well--are said to be a risk in the untreated sleep apnea patient, especially when the apnea itself is happening at 85 mph.

Tom at the time suggested going to a sleep lab to find out what was the likeliest culprit. Statistically speaking, sleep apnea is by far the most common cause in the population in general, and middle aged males in particular. However, some of the conventional red flags -- a thick neck, obesity, and very loud snoring -- were not on the Jim check list of attributes, and I tended to discount the likelihood I was an apnea sufferer.

What I thought was much more likely were any or all of the following:

1. a drug side effect, particularly my long use of antidepresants
    2. an occult virus -- a slow virus, in my vernacular -- or possibly a tsetse fly bite through which was vectored into my blood stream the trypanosome responsible for sleeping sickness.
    3. Or idiopathic hypersomnolence, AKA, grogginess for which there is no known physical, emotional, or existential cause.

Time passed.

The symptoms waxed.

The symptoms waned.

The symptoms returned like a Dunan yo-yo strapped forever to my **** you finger.

Then a new symptom arose: ISH, or isolated systolic hypertension.

My internal Dr. Gregory House had a field day with this new information. Could the Effexor XR be the cause of my ISH? What about the Provigil I had begun popping to counter my E.D.S.? Could I simply be overtraining? Might there be some sort of gluten allergy lurking in the background?

But I am not a high-achieving white woman. Surely gluten allergy could be crossed off the list.

Hovering in the background over all such speculations is the one disorder I Know for certain I do indeed suffer: hypochondriasis of the non-delusional variety.

Or do I?

Might there be an alternative, unified, and actual physical illness kind of explanation for why I suffer:

• morning headaches and sore throats
    • night sweating
    • persistent daytime grogginess
    • neuralgia and myalgia
    • Provigil deficiency
    • and so forth?

So I checked into the sleep lab and to my amazement was diagnosed with sleep apnea.

Tonight, I go back in for a second night in the lab, this time to be fitted with a CPAP mask and a second round of testing to see if this reduces the number of apnea events (i.e., where I stop breathing).

Do Robots Dream of Android Sheep? Naa! Naa!

Part of me wonders if all of this is actually yet another elaborate scam from yet another scammeister of the Medical Industrial Complex, anxious not only to test and diagnose apnea at no little expense to the system, but to then ladle on with the need of expensive apparatus, the profits from which will line the pockets of yet more medical industrial golf club members hoping for dues money.

I Googled "picture of a swindler," and this is what it came up with.

Please keep your fingers crossed that only the best will come of this; that I will not be played yet again for a fool; that persistent daytime grogginess and its innumerable social and cognitive sequellae shall all but disappear from my life in coming weeks; and that a brand new, ebullient, vital, and sleep-restored oxygen hording Jimbo will very soon be taking over this vlog, and bring a new level of interest unfathomable at the present time!

I Googled "picture of extreme excitement" and this is what the Internet thinks I might look like after CPAP treatment, though I have some doubts, I must admit. Some little, tiny, niggling doubts.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. All Systems Go, Tuesday, May 18

by , May 18th, 2010 at 06:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 various

3 x (25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

2 x (25 fast + 75 EZ)

3 x (backstroke start + 35 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 1350

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I swam in an old B70 today. Honestly, I didn't feel that much different than yesterday. Perhaps a little floatier. Fly still feels strong, always an indicator for me (like Patrick). My backstroke starts were solid. I must stick with 13 SDKs; with a good start, 14 puts me past the 15 meter mark in a B70.

I had a light massage where I was told I "wasn't tight." Well, duh, I haven't done a thing lately.

Otherwise, all systems go:

taper bitchies -- check, although flashpoint isn't as low as other tapers

taper munchies -- check, no chips in the house thankfully

taper hypochondriasis -- check, worried about twinges here, there and everywhere

taper jitters -- check, today is the high point so far

taper type A -- check, packing (initial pile of stuff below), printing addresses, USMS card, reservations, split request form, worried that my 4th speed suit is too big , checking toenail polish ...

Patrick's entry from today sums up how I feel: I've done everything I reasonably can to get ready and I'm feeling optimistic and psyched about my events. In fact, this is the most psyched I can ever remember being for a 100 fly as a master. Let's race!

Updated May 18th, 2010 at 06:23 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020222.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	6393  
  15. Mon May 17 Tue May 18

by , May 18th, 2010 at 05:20 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon may 17

in Scottsdale at westin
    swam in spa pool
    25 yds

AM did around 800 easy

PM did around 800 easy

Tue May 18
    in AZ

AM did 800 easy
    legs feeling better
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. SArasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/25/10

by , May 18th, 2010 at 02:00 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

WARM UP:
    2 X 250 4:15
    2 X 150 2:30
    6 X 50 1:00

4 X 200 free 3:20
    4 X 50 free descend 1-4 1:00
    4 X 100 kick 2:40
    4 X 50 kick descend 1-4 1:20
    4 X 100 stroke 2:20
    4 X 50 stroke descend 1-4 1:10

12 X 50 1:20
    Choice
    odd: moderate
    even: fast

10 X 50
    odd: blocks, sprint 25/25 easy
    even: build to race finish

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4600M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. SArasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/25/10

by , May 18th, 2010 at 02:00 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

WARM UP:
    2 X 250 4:15
    2 X 150 2:30
    6 X 50 1:00

4 X 200 free 3:20
    4 X 50 free descend 1-4 1:00
    4 X 100 kick 2:40
    4 X 50 kick descend 1-4 1:20
    4 X 100 stroke 2:20
    4 X 50 stroke descend 1-4 1:10

12 X 50 1:20
    Choice
    odd: moderate
    even: fast

10 X 50
    odd: blocks, sprint 25/25 easy
    even: build to race finish

4600M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/24/10

by , May 18th, 2010 at 01:55 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

1 X 200 3:30
    1 X 250 4:00
    3 X 150 2:30

1 X 300 4:30 5:15
    1 X 200 3:00 3:30
    1 X 100 1:30 1:45
    Rounds 1 & 3 are free, intervals left.
    Rounds 2 & 4 are IM, intervals right.

LCM

4 X 100 kick 2:30
    1 X 100 easy swim

4 X {4 X 50
    Round 1: 3 moderate/1 fast :50
    Round 2: 2 moderate/2 fast :55
    Round 3: 1 moderate/3 fast 1:00
    Round 4: 4 fast 1:05

4800 Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/21/10

by , May 18th, 2010 at 01:50 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

1 X 100 1:40 1:30
    1 X 200 3:20 3:00
    1 X 300 5:00 -
    Twice through. Round 1 intervals left, round 2 right.

1 X 500 free 7:30
    2 X 200 IM 3:30
    2 X 100 kick 2:15
    Twice through

LCM

4 X 200 3:15
    8 X 100 4 on 1:40 4 on 1:30

5200 Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/20/10

by , May 18th, 2010 at 01:47 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

2 X 200 3:30
    1 X 400 6:45
    Twice through

1 X 200 kick 5:00
    2 X 100 kick 2:30
    2 X 50 kick 1:15

1 X 100 stroke 2:15
    1 X 50 stroke/ fast 1:45
    Four times through.
    100 and 50 should be the same stroke.

2 X 400 free 6:40