View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Back to work 5/26

by , May 26th, 2010 at 10:34 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well, the party is over, the swimmers have swum, and we've all headed back to our homes.

I also closed a chapter in my life. I packed up my training goggles into an old box and opened up my new onesw. Same model and colour but the oldies had held together well, and I feel should be retired now that I have made it through nats and what not.

Still feeling tired from the meet but decided I couldn't blow everything off as then I'd be facing a huge task to get back up for a meet on june 5th which is LCM to boot....stupidly I think I'm signed up for the 200 BR--Idiot!

Anyhow I got to the pool and decided to work towards my goals of Improving my backstroke and getting under :30 for the 50 BR, which I am sure will take me some time.

Here's what I did.
    Warm Up
    (twice through)
    200Kick
    200Pull (paddles
    200Swim

Back Set

4 x 50 Kick on Back 1:30. held 1:05's and worked on breaking out hard and aggressive from my SDK.
    8 x 25 Back 1:00. Held about :20 just trying to bust these out...tough to see with stupid pace clock.
    4 x 50 EZ1:00
    Breast Set
    4 x 25 BR/25 EZ FR trying to get SPL and time on the BR to measure slight adjustments on my stroke but it was no good with the dumb pace clocks out of sync...this is where no coaching REALLY sucks.
    2 x 200 BR on 5:00 did them about 3:15...um...yeah I really still whacked out from Atlanta
    4 x 50 EZ 1:00

8x 25 Fly on 1:00 some good some bad...felt like I was getting more chest press but when I try to sprint it goes back to arm-driven

4 x 50 EZ to Cool

Hit the weight room for a quick 1 set circuit to get the muscles a little prepped for the return to training. I know it'll still hurt when I do. Of course I followed it with a muscle milk.

Updated May 26th, 2010 at 11:46 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Wednessday AM With the Sharks

by , May 26th, 2010 at 08:03 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Swam with Sharks
    Renee Coached (Gonna miss her!!)

200 Swim
    6x100 25 swim 50 kick 25 swim 10r

Set 1

2 times the following
    150 free 50 back
    100 free 100 back
    50 free 150 back
    200 back
    about 15 rest on all
    1 min between sets....
    I had to go 1st on set 1 in the crazy lane.
    Ouch, But I did it, and either Jim C was being lazy or I did really good. Lets hope for I did good.

Set 2

4 x 25 stoke count
    3x150 build by 50 hold stroke count
    3x 100 desc hold stroke count

200 warm down

Backstroke felt good today.
    Stroke count's I held 11-12 on the 25's
    12-14 on the 150
    12-14 on the 100's

Updated May 27th, 2010 at 05:10 PM by Bo Martin

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. 50 Back Vid + Yoga May 26

by , May 26th, 2010 at 07:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hot Yoga, 90 minutes:

Made it to the bikram studio for my first yoga class in 5 weeks. Didn't have any trouble with the positions particularly, but the class seemed interminably long. I did notice that they replaced the carpet with beautiful wood floors. Apparently, this renders the studio not true to the spirit of Bikram, but I like the change. It lowers the dirty hippie quotient of the whole enterprise.

50 Back Video:

Water Rat kindly took a video of my 50 back at Nats. It didn't look as bad as it felt. You can tell I was nervous about not having my nose clip b/c I fidgeted and moved my hand position on the start. I thought I had gone past the 15 meter mark, so swam the rest of the race thinking I was DQ'd. This was incorrect as the video shows, but my initial SDKs were panicked and sloppy and exceeded the # I intended to take (they were much better, I think, in my 100 back). It also looks like I slowed down to judge the finish somewhat as well. I was right between Val Jenkins and Sue Walsh. I still wish I had that race back again ... In some ways, I feel like this race shows, to channel Lost, the folly of "master plans." An undue focus on one event can indeed be frustrating.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zra16-aggtk"]YouTube- USMS Nationals - Fort's 50 Backstroke[/nomedia]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I'm still wiped out from the meet & travels. I think it's mostly sleep deprivation as, per usual, I didn't sleep well during the meet and I basically pulled an all nighter on Sunday with the late night & early Monday flight combo. I had a great time Sunday night though, dining at Rosa Mexicano (great food!) and then imbibing with PV buddies and others. Even met and chatted with Geek's & Stud's nemesis, CF.

I'm hoping I can summon the energy to go on a wee jog soon ...

My only other gripe about the Nats experience is that is totally trashed my hair. My hair, which is longer than usual right now, got completely tangled up/matted with all the double capping, etc. I literally couldn't detangle some of it when showering, so yanked some out. And being in and out of the water constantly for days, not putting conditioner in my hair, etc, trashed the color and caused some chlorine damage. LW advised me to braid my hair. I did this on the 3rd day and the damage wasn't as bad. But still!

I'm feeling a little bit of the post Atlanta blues. There's so much preparation and anticipation and then it's just OVER. Trying to deflect this with some vacation planning. I'm leaving on June 24, and there will be no swimming for 2 weeks. The fitness center on the ship is huge and beautiful and there are yoga/pilates classes. I think I mentioned previously that my chiro advised taking a complete 2 week break from any strenuous exercise to let the body heal. At the moment, I feel like taking that now rather than on the cruise ...

I'm still planning on doing a detox. But I need to catch up on sleep before depriving myself of caffeine. I'm also being sent a free 3 week supply of Exfuse 7 + Proformance to try out. http://www.extractfuzion.com/shop/vi...=1&productid=4. I'm told you can add it to smoothies or take it solo. Among other things, it claims to promotes deep sleep. I'm not the supplement critic that Jimby is, but I'm skeptical about the ability of any herbal type remedy to keep me asleep.

And on tech suit news, Roque Santos is sending me one of his new Q Swimwear kneeskins. I'm looking forward to trying it out. On examination at Nats, the fabric seemed very different and more sturdy than the B70 or Speedo "paper" suits. http://www.qswimwear.com/catalogo/index.html

Updated May 26th, 2010 at 11:32 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  4. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/27/10

by , May 26th, 2010 at 05:17 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

WARM UP:

3 X 100 1:50
    4 X 150 2:40
    3 X 100 1:40

2 X 100 kick 2:30
    4 X 50 kick descend 1-4 1:15
    Twice through

1 X 400 6:40
    2 X 50 1:00
    1 X 300 5:00
    4 X 50 1:00
    1 X 200 3:20
    6 X 50 1:00
    1 X 100 1:40
    8 X 50 1:00
    50's: odd are moderate, even fast.

3 x {4 x 50 stroke 1:15
    Descend 1-4, break between rounds

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4800M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Bring on the PT, Bring on the Pain! (literally)

So last night, I (finally) had my first PT session with Jon. I hurt. A lot. It was funny because he just took me through a run of about 20 some different exercises on a circuit just to show me everything he wants me to learn. So as I realize how hard he's worked me, and I decide. Its worth the $200/mo to make sure I have this kind of workout at least once a week. Granted - I can do this on my own, but I think the reinforcement of working with John through the summer ( at the very least ) will do me some great favors and prep me for the SCY season coming up.

Speaking of that: I told my coach one of my goals specifically for swimming (which for whatever reason was totally ignored in my last post) I would like to swim at LEAST a 25s 50 Free (SCY). She basically told me it was never going to happen. Not in so many words, but just gave me the same end feeling. :-/

As one can see here:
    http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/indre...wimmerID=06TZ1
    I'm a little ways off from hitting that goal. 8 seconds pretty much. During that race, I had only been swimming 2 months and basically hadn't really prepared my body for the onslaught that a meet does to my body. During the entire weekend I probably was able to consume 3000 calories total. My stomach got very tight, and even after the events for the day, I was hardly able to eat at all.

I've been reading SwimFasterFaster.com (thanks Ande!), I've been working the muscles detailed and defined in the book Swimming Anatomy by Ian McCleod. So I totally disagree with her. I know I can do this. I'm going to be swimming in the SwimAcrossAmerica in Chicago this summer (http://www.swimacrossamerica.org/bzaks1424), I'm going to be swimming at the Park Ridge 1500 (LCM), and I'll be swimming in the Appleton Badger State Meet (LCM, 50fr, 50bk, 100fr). I'm getting my experience in and I'm preparing. I want to do that 25 by the state meet next May. (Actually, I'd love to do it NOW. I just haven't been able to yet! ;-))

Now I totally understand this goal is SUPER lofty and to be completely fair, I'm going to be happy as long as I keep seeing improvement in my times, my form and my endurance. Honestly - at this point its all about having fun in the long run, right?

So in other news, I just started on the P90X Nutritional Program... I've gotta say its completely different than anything I'm really used to. My energy levels are not quite leveled out on it yet. I'll keep you posted as I keep going.

Thanks for reading my rants!
    Categories
    Planning
  6. A New Regimen

by , May 26th, 2010 at 01:20 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    I turned 44 today and also got started on my running regimen. While I felt young and in shape this past weekend, the run today definitely reminded me that I am middle-aged.

Temp was about 75 and humidity 70%. Not bad, but not ideal for getting out to run for the first time in a few weeks. I still had that hit-by-a-truck feeling that Fort described yesterday that also kept me from working out until today. I planned to go slow but not this slow.

About a mile into the run, a twenty-something gal about a half foot shorter than I ran by me. I'm not even sure I could call it running. She had some funky gait where she barely picked her feet off the ground and it was lopsided. Nonetheless, she got further and further ahead. I wasn't even going to try to keep up. My lower back was tight which reminds me that I need to pull out the foam roller to work on that tendon that goes from your hip to your knee. Should help the back tightness.

At mile 2, I broke down and had to walk. It was hot, I felt beat up, and plain old tired. After a few minutes of walking, I picked up the pace again and finished the three miles in about 30:54.

I had thought about going to do the spin class tomorrow morning that all the hardcore triathletes do, but think I'll wait until next week to start. I want to add this class and keep doing it during the swim season because I was disappointed in my leg reserve on my 50 back and 50 free this past weekend. In the past, when I biked or did spin classes, in the pool, it felt like my legs would never let me down.

Off to drink whatever recovery drink I can find around the house and enjoy the fact I've made it through 44 years of life.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Wed May 26th, 2010

by , May 26th, 2010 at 11:12 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed May 26th, 2010

Might swim in a "Last Hurrah SCY Time Trial" this Saturday.

Weighed 224 at home this morning

LCM & SCY
    Austin, UT Swim Center
    Whitney Coached
    swam with Tyler, Mike, Nate, Doug, Chris, & Marcio
    dove in 6:35

WARM UP LCM
    10 min swim
    10 min swim
    10 min kick

Main Set SCY (moved to diving well)

20 x 50 FAST on 1:30
    4 kick 1 swim
    kicks: did SDK, then surface SDK, from a push
    held mostly 31's, couple 32's, few 30's
    FR: held 26, dove

easy 200

2010 MEETS:

July 8 - 11, 2010
    Senior Circuit #4
    Austin, TX

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    2010 South Central Long Course
    Southlake, Texas
    Days till LCM ZONES
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Sore again today but ...

by , May 26th, 2010 at 08:35 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Do sore shoulders stop me? No... Just plugged thru and did the best I could. Only pushed on kick sets.

2x500@:15R Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    10x50@:05R Free kick w/snorkle & fins 80% effort
    3x100@2:00 Breast pull w/fins
    200 breast kick
    500 Free Easy

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. By The Way

by , May 25th, 2010 at 10:44 PM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    Today was the first day that Coach was back from Nationals. We had to swim without music on Monday with the substitute lifeguard who didn't have a key to the room with the MP3 hookup.

Monday was very quiet.

Today wasn't much different. I didn't have the chance to create a mix, so we just listened to the full CD of The Red Hot Chili Pepper's "By The Way," which I recently obtained from the library.

It was mellow.

There was no workout on the board, so we all did our own thing, which included a lot of chatter. In 90 minutes, I swam a paltry 2,700 yards, which at the very least keeps me on goal for one mile a day, but did not justify the two donuts I ate on the way to work. (I swear I just went there for the )

I swam the yards in sets of 200's, which I counted by moving my water bottle over one row of tiles on the deck each time I finished the set.

In the future, I'll use songs from this CD for warm up or warm down, or distance day. When it comes to sprinting music, however, I gotta go with earlier pre-rehab generation Peppers.

Updated May 25th, 2010 at 10:50 PM by swimmerb212

Tags: music
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Thank Heaven for Little Girls

by , May 25th, 2010 at 09:50 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    This just in! This just in! This just in!

A new link to the Ciara Movie, Thank Heavens for Little Ciara's, may actually allow my vlog audience to see this rejuvenating mood-boosting video despite the copyright issues of the owners of the song I used.

Try clicking this (and let me know if it works for you even if you aren't a facebook member.) Suggestion provided by one Mr. Bill Sherman of Kansas City, Missouri!

Hats off, Mr. Sherman! Now please all of you try clicking here! http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/vid...v=397876503758

(Note: if you aren't in the mood for a long romp through my ruminations on moppet daughters, please feel free to skip down to the bottom and look for the words: Click Ciara Movie Link Directly Below!

If you are in a horrible mood, or even a borderline bad mood, or maybe even an okay mood, or perhaps in a good mood, or even one so ecstatic you can't
    believe it could get any better, regardless of how you are feeling right now, I do guarantee you that watching my movie on Ciara will put you into a better place than you are now.

Of course, I would be happy if you choose to read my ruminations on moppet daughters, too. Nothing wrong with that!)

My teammates Bill and Mark are both very lucky guys.

They are indefatigable swimmers who never whine and, to my knowledge, have never been compared to "that teacher on South Park" the way I have.

Is this really what I look like? or is it more just a personality type I share with Mr. Garrison?

But Bill and Mark share something besides swimming god status, and this something is what makes them both beyond just lucky but blessed.

I refer to their respective adorable little daughters.

In Bill's case, the daughter is Ciara, who always cheers for her Papa at swimming meets;

and in Mark's case, the daughters are Caroline (a second grader), Georgia (a Kindergartner), and Lila (not yet in school but Harvard class of 2028).

When I was enduring a particularly rough patch of psychiatric woe a few years back,
    Ciara was arguably the best antidepressant I could find. I would simply lift her up and apply her like an analgesic tablet to my forehead, and the pain would disappear for a while.

Remember that product that used to be advertised for headache relief?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_SwD7RveNE"]YouTube- HEADON! Apply directly to the forehead![/nomedia]

Watching the commercial for Head On actually caused headaches so intractable that all the homeopathic placebo evocation in the world could not remedy them!

Ciara application, on the other hand, always worked!

Recently,
    Ciara drew her father a picture, wandered downstairs and found him, then wordlessly pointed out how she wanted him to play with her.

Here is her picture, which immediately became one of my favorite artworks of all time!!!! (The movie, Thank Heavens for Little
    Ciara's, which I shall post below, is my attempt to film a recreation of this art work's creation and first unveiling.)

Bill playing with his daughter
    Ciara in the way that Ciara has instructed him to do.

After seeing this picture, I thought Bill--alone among guys in the world--had the luckiest situation imaginable. He was the father of the artist/human analgesic tablet,
    Ciara, in whose adorable orbit he could forever bask and benefit! Who else could boast coming close to such a beatific life?

It turns out that Mark actually has a similarly daughter-rich wonderland, too.

Yesterday, Mark did not appear at our 7 x 500 swimming practice, presumably because he had just gotten back from Atlanta and was tired. Bill, who wrote the workout, didn't make it either. In fact, I am pretty sure I am the only person who actually swam all 7 of these 500s. But that's off topic.

Anyhow, I went over to Mark's house after practice to congratulate him on his times and console him about his initial sense of failure in the 100 breaststroke.

(You can read a great account of Mark's psychic metamorphosis from Ferklempt Meshugina to Mensch in Mark's own inaugural blog,
    You Never Forget Your First Time, here: http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=9805).

The following pictures are what I found adorning Mark's front door. More unbelievably good artwork done by little daughters who love their daddy!

What swimmer in all God's firmament would not want to come home from Nationals and be greeted by this?

Note a few details here--the dolphin (a surrogate for father Mark?) on the starting blocks on the left, followed by the same dolphin with his Gold Medal standing sunlit on the podium once the race is done.

Note, as well, the meet's "score" of Home O vs.
    Visitors 1,000,000 "because of my dad"; and finally, check out the order of finishers:

1. Cox (Mark's last name) in the No. 1 spot.
    2. Some guy named "Rider" that none of us, including the artist, Caroline, know (she almost put Bill here, but then decided not to because he would beat her dad),
    3. and finally, in 3rd place, that is to say, last place, "Thornton.")

Okay, enough. I realize this is in danger of becoming a Megila (n.).

(A friend e-mailed me today and was bantering about in a bit of Yiddish, so I've been trying to improve my vocabulary here. If you need help with this, I recommend a quick perusal of
    http://www.infoplease.com/spot/yiddish1.html for some basics.)

Okay, if you took my option to skip all of the megila so far, and desire only to watch the movie about
    Ciara, here that is.

I defy anybody to watch this and not emerge happier than they were before the viewing, no matter how disappointing or gladdening a recent swimming meet may have proved!

Click Ciara Movie Link Directly Below! (i.e., the words right under these!)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/vid...v=397876503758

Updated May 27th, 2010 at 12:35 AM by jim thornton (changing movie link to something I hope will work)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Easy Tuesday

This morning I swam a workout with TNYA. I was originally planning to do a short easy swim on my own at the Y, but one of my teammates is moving to Cambodia this week, and there was a going-away breakfast for her after practice, so I went and was glad I did. I liked the workout and had good lanemates and was really glad to see folks I hadnít run into in a while. Hereís what we did:

400 warmup

8 x 50 w/ extra-long streamlines @ :55

4 x 50 K @ 1:10, 1 x 100 FR @ 1:20
    3 x 50 K @ 1:05, 2 x 100 FR @ 1:25
    2 x 50 K @ 1:00, 3 x 100 FR @ 1:30
    1 x 50 K @ :55, 4 x 100 FR @ 1:35 [I took this set easy, and did FR/BK halfsies on most of the 100s]

50 easy

9 x 150:
    100 FR / 50 FL @ 2:30
    75 FR / 75 BK @ 2:30
    50 FR / 100 BR @ 2:30
    1:00 rest
    100 FR / 50 BK @ 2:35
    75 FR / 75 BR @ 2:35
    50 FR / 100 FL @ 2:35
    1:00 rest
    100 FR / 50 BR @ 2:45
    75 FR / 75 FL @ 2:45
    50 FR / 100 BK @ 2:45 [By the 2nd round of these my body had finally loosened up, and I went faster as the set went on and the rests got bigger, and felt good.]

25 FR, 50 FR, 100 FR, 50 FR, 25 FR, all on 1:15

100 warmdown

Our LMSC has already sent out an email lauding Metro swimmers who went to nats and listing those who placed in the top 10 in their events, and so the coach included that in his announcements, and many people at workout and breakfast asked me about the meet and congratulated me on my swims. That seemed especially gracious, given that I had affiliated with another local team right before the deadline for nationals. (That team sent 30 swimmers, and TNYA ended up with just 2 besides me. But TNYAís big focus meet is Gay Games in Germany this summeróI think thereís around 60 swimmers signed up for that, plus a polo team or two. Itís funny that more people from this team go to travel meets overseas than compete in local competitions.] But then, one thing Iíve always liked about TNYA is that they are not overly competitive with other local teams, and have always supported me in whatever Iím doing even if itís not exactly what the team is focused on at the moment.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Recovery Day & more reflection..

by , May 25th, 2010 at 07:17 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well I had to get in and sim a bit. I still feel tired but the swim made me feel loose. I didn't do anything too funky but tried a slightly different BR stroke that I spoke with Steve West about...I'll be meddling with that this year.

Reflecting on my swims, I felt I was too tired for a solid 200 BR and I ripped out the first 100 at 1:17 that would have been a PB in the 100 BR a year ago. If you watch the video it shows up, I held my stroke together but I just ran out of power. 1:17.x and a 1:28.x makes ugly splitting.

My 100 I thought I was spinning wheels tried to glide.. I should have just carried on...I coasted in...bummer...but happy to PB.

100 IM was a hoot I wish it was taped!

Anyhow here's my simple swim...in 20 yard pool.

4 x through:
    200 Kick (fins)
    200 Pull (pins n paddles)
    200 Swim #2 was 5 x 40 BR
    Felt good to stretch out again.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Tue May 25th, 2010

by , May 25th, 2010 at 05:47 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue May 25th, 2010

did not swim monday, I travelled back from GA to TX

ElaineK "Elaine-iaK" was kind enough to video my 200 IM at Nats & here is the footage.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECihgAWZiy4"]YouTube- 2010 Masters SCY Nats 200 IM Men 45 to 49 1:58.20 NR[/nomedia]

I'm thrilled that I stuck with my plan & it worked. I should have made a better plan for my 100 IM, I just went hard, died & got 3rd.

I'm kinda in training limbo right now.
    We might do a time trial this Friday but I want to get going on the 2010 LCM season

WEIGHT 228 after practice
    I am going the wrong way with my weight and I need to turn the beat around.
    Had my home birthday dinner last night & totally pigged out.
    I really need to get my weight down under 210,
    especially since the rubber swim girdles are just about GONE

LCM Austin swim center
    whitney coached
    6:30 - 8:00
    dove in late
    wore B70 jammers
    6:50ish

missed warm up

4 x 100 done 25 fl 75 fr on 1:30
    4 x 50 on 1:00

4 x 100 done 25 bk 75 fr on 1:30
    4 x 50

4 x 100 done 25 br 75 fr
    4 x 50

4 x 100 fr
    4 x 50 fr

assigned 6 x 150 fr
    did 6 x 50 fr easy speed

8 x 50 k on 1:00

Updated May 25th, 2010 at 05:57 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/26/10

by , May 25th, 2010 at 03:58 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

4 X 100 1:40
    6 X 50 :50
    4 X 100 1:30
    6 X 50 :45

8 X 50 kick 1:10

1 X 300 free 4:30
    2 X 150 50 fly/50 back/50 breast 2:45
    4 X 50 stroke(choice) 1:00
    Twice through

LCM

2 X 100 moderate 2:00
    4 X 50 fast 1:20
    Twice through with a break

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4400 Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. A recap of the past week, Part 2

by , May 25th, 2010 at 03:30 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Meet recap, Friday through Saturday

Friday, 5/21/10

My only swim was the 200 backstroke.

Did about 1600 yards warmup

I went 2:33.81 (previous best was 2:36.92). Splits were 35.67-39.73-39.26-39.15. It was a good swim but hurt a bit that last 50.

Cool down swim was about 10 minutes did around 500.
    Total for the day: 2300

Saturday, 5/22/10

Did about 1600 yards warmup

100 free - I went 1:00.04 (previous best was :59.23). Splits were 28.71-31.28
    I need to go out faster. Based on my 50 time I should be under 28 on the 1st 50.

Long cooldown swim, about 400 easy yards

50 back stroke - I went 32.32. (previous best was :30.58). I totally blew the turn on this and had no push off the wall and therefore no UW dolphin. My plan had been to SDK at least 10 kicks before breakout. I got 1.

10 minute cooldown about 500 mix of free and back.

Total: about 2700 yards

Sunday, 5/2310:

Warmup: about 1600 yards

100 back - An awesome race!! went 1:09.36 (previous best was 1:09.48). I negative split this, 34.71-34.65. I think that tells me I should have gone out a little faster, maybe low 33. But still a good swim.

400 yards cooldown swim

50 free - Everything went right here! Good start, decent turn and finish. Went 26.32 (previous best was :26.45). Took only 3 breaths on this, 2 on the way down and one coming back.
    Was anxious to get out of there so I didn't do a cooldown swim
    Total for the day: about 2100 yards

So out of 5 races I had three PB's and and one 2nd best time.

Updated May 25th, 2010 at 07:59 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. A recap of the past week, Part 1

by , May 25th, 2010 at 03:00 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I haven't posted since my last workout last week before leaving for Atlanta so I will try to catch up now, I hope I can remember it all.

Here is last Tuesday's workout

300 swim free and back
    100 kick
    200 IM drill
    200 pull

swim 8 x 25 on :45: odds build to fast finish; evens with fast breakouts: really work on getting going without over-spinning; do 1-4 free, 5-8 back
    200 easy

2 x 25 sprint w/25 easy swim back

swim down 10 minutes nice and easy... float, blow bubbles, whatever

Total: 1900 yards

Wednesday, 5/19/10
    Travel day, no workout.

Thursday, 5/20/10

15 minutes choice mixing swimming, kicking, pulling, drilling
    (did 150 free, 150 back, 100 kick on back, 200 drill, 100 easy free)

swim 12 x 25 choice on 45:
    1 fast breakout, 1 build to fast finish, 1 easy
    (because this was in the warmup pool in Atlanta holding to the pace clock was nearly impossible. I just did what I could.)
    50 easy

swim 3 x 50 back on 1:15 at goal 200 pace
    200 easy

swim down 10 minutes choice:
    (did about 600 alternating free and back)

Total: 2000 yards

Updated May 25th, 2010 at 03:31 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. 100 back Vid + Mon-Tues, May 24-25

by , May 25th, 2010 at 02:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Monday Workout:

Big cuddle and chat with Lil Fort after getting home in time to pick her up from school.

2 hour nap.

1.5+ hours watching Lost series finale on the DVR with Mini Fort.

Watched Mr. Fort cook dinner.

Tuesday Workout:

Got up early to get Lil Fort off to school and went back to bed.

Got up too late to go to hot yoga.

Spent 2.0 hours contemplating whether to run. But decided against it as I'm still feeling like I was hit by a mac truck.

100 back Video:

Here's a video of my 100 back from Nats taken by Stud. I was pleased with my underwaters. Not so thrilled with the second turn (where you can see I missed the wall) or my last 5 yards where my arms wouldn't move. But still super thrilled with the time.

I can't tell from the angle of the video, but I might have overshot the 15 meter mark on the first 25. I think you have to be on the side of the pool to really tell.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFZ4FmwjNw"]YouTube- Les 100 BK[/nomedia]

I've also attached a cool pic of 2 backstroke mermaids. Ahelee gave me plenty of encouragement during the meet while coaching her other swimmers. In fact, I have to thank all my team hottub buddies and others for their words of encouragement throughout the meet. I love my swimmer friends!

Few other pics too, and 2 taken by my friend Norm at the start and turn of the 50 fly.

Updated May 25th, 2010 at 06:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31654_1440219640476_1082585167_31308858_8175138_n.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	6394   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get-attachment-1.aspx.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	6395   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get-attachment.aspx.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	6396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swim Stud, The Fortress, Jayhawk.JPG.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	6397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31654_1440830135738_1082585167_31310178_3249853_n.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	6398  

18. Cranking it up and sore

by , May 25th, 2010 at 08:46 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    After not using paddles for so long OUCH!

5x200@3:30 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins build each 50
    5x100@2:00 Fly as 25 rt arm/25 lt arm/25 skull/25 swim
    10x50@1:00 alt fly kick/back kick w/fins streamline
    10x100@1:40 Free w/paddles & bouy
    200 Free easy

Total 3700 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Swim mixes - US Nationals version

by , May 24th, 2010 at 09:06 PM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    As the women's team captain, I got asked to ask if we could have music at practice. Coach said "yes. If you bring it." And for the past 6 months, I've been making mixes for our team to swim to 5 days a week. When my collection started getting old, I started picking up music from the library, and taking requests.
    The following playlist is titled "Get Jonathan pumped for Nationals" and played on the day before he left for Atlanta and swam some incredible races. I hope this too will get you pumped. It inspired me to swim about 1,000 more yards than I usually do.

Drive, The Cars, The Cars Greatest Hits
    Every Rose Has Its Thorn, Poison, Poison's Greatest Hit
    Sweet Home Alabama, Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Lowrider, War
    We Will Rock You, Queen, Greatest Hits
    Back in Black, AC/DC, Back in Black
    Hey Ho, Lets Go, The Ramones
    Sabatoge Beastie Boys, Ill Communication
    What I Like About You, The Kinks
    Welcome to the Jungle, Guns N Roses, Appetite for Destruction
    Somebody To Love, Jefferson Airplane, The Worst Of Jefferson Airplane
    No Sleep Till Brooklyn, Beastie Boys, Licenced to Ill
    The Distance, Cake, Fashion Nugget
    California Sun (Cover), The Ramones
    My Sharona, The Knack, Reality Bites
    American Idiot, Green Day, Grammy Nominees 2005
    Last Night, The Strokes, Is This It
    I Want To Break Free, Queen, Greatest Hits
    My Generation, The Who, 20th Century Masters: The Best Of The Who (The Millennium Collection)
    Rock N Roll High School, The Ramones
    I Fought The Law (Cover), Dead Kennedys, Give Me Convenience or Give...
    Sheep Go To Heaven, Cake, Prolonging The Magic
    Cradle Of Love, Billy Idol
    Radio Ga Ga Queen, Live at Wembley 86 (Disc 2)
    You Shook Me All Night Long, AC/DC, Back in Black
    Crazy, Aerosmith, Get A Grip
    Stacy's Mom, Fountains Of Wayne, Welcome Interstate Managers
    I Want To Be Sedated, The Ramones
    Under Pressure, David Bowie & Queen, Changestwobowie
    Another One Bites The Dust, Queen, Greatest Hits
    We Are The Champions, Queen, Greatest Hits

Updated May 27th, 2010 at 10:49 AM by swimmerb212

Tags: music
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Atlanta aftermath

I woke up today still feeling both the excitement and exhaustion from nationals. It was definitely a successful meet for me, and I am delighted and relieved to have swum so well. I am still reeling a bit from how much all my races hurt. I donít remember feeling quite so wasted after all my swims at other big meets. One of my teammates said she worried after each of my races that I was horribly disappointed, because she would see my slumped over with my head in my hands right by the ladder, but then I would show up a few minutes later in our team area with a big smile on my facing announcing a big time drop. I did pretty much collapse right by the ladder after all my swims (except 50 BR, after which I felt just normally fatigued). I truly didnít think I could walk away from the pool without a few minutes recovery time. I donít recall ever doing that before.

I think I still secretly have the fantasy that I can have a terrific breakthrough swim AND have it feel really great. That has happened a few times in my masters careerómy 400 lcm IM at Portland (unfortunately DQed) and my masters PRs in the 200 lcm IM and 200 scy FR come to mind. On all of these I dropped significant time and just felt happy and exuberant, and ready to hop in and swim them again afterwards. But usually, swimming longer races (100s and up) fast just hurts, and I still hard to accept. In Atlanta, they really really hurt. I can blame the 400 IM hurt on bad pacing, but not my 2BK, 2IM, or 100 FR. Even my 50 BK was yucky painful by the end, and it was just a 50!

I feel like a lot of my taper is just a big pep talk to myself, preparing mentally to endure that level of discomfort. Since I have been swimming masters, I have usually had good tapers for big events, but maybe part of that is just that Iím unwilling to dig quite as deep during my in-season races.

All this makes me wonderódo other people train and/or race during the season at the same level of discomfort that they feel when swimming their races at big events? I donít do many practice races in workouts, and even when we do an x for time, I secretly always feel like Iím keeping things within a certain comfort level. I have a hard time imagining being willing to endure the same type of pain that I felt during my Atlanta swims on a daily or weekly basis, but maybe Iím just an especially wimpy swimmer. So, a question: If you do a lot of practice races or race-pace training, how does this work for you? And do you feel any less pain in big races if you are put yourself out there more frequently?

But enough complaining! I was so happy about bettering my swim ratings in 5 events that I updated my graph. Hereís the pre- and post-nationals version (my nats events were 50 BK, 50 BR, 100 FR, 200 IM, 200 BK, and 400 IM):

Before Atlanta:

After Atlanta:

Itís not as pretty a proof that Iím a sprinter as before, when all the lines sloped downwards, but itís cool that I moved all the events I swam in ATL into the into the top portion of the graph.

One longstanding goal that I wonít achieve this season is finally making a scy top ten list. Iíve been fortunate enough to swim a fair number of SCM and SCM top ten times, but Iíve never cracked the list in yards. Thatís definitely not happening this season eitherómy top rankings in the USMS database are 17th in the 200 BK and 200 IM and 18th in the 50 BR. So that goal will have to wait for another season. I donít think aging up next year will make it any easier, given how tough the 45-49s are.

Now, on to LCM and OW!