View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Almost Seventy!

Well, I finally got my 50 mile cap in the mail (woot! wearing that on my lunch swim for sure), just in time for me to clock nearly 70 miles for the year. With luck, I'll have hit 100 miles by my birthday (mid-June), halfway to my goal of 200 miles for the year.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Thursday April 22, 2010

Warm-up:
    300 free
    200 IM drill
    4 x 50 kick/build
    200 fly drills
    100 ez

2 x 25 fast hand timed with an ez 75 after. Went fly on #1 and free on #2. Don't want to state my times, but I'm feeling MUCH better about this weekend. Perhaps there is speed and turnover in my body yet. We shall see.

Tomorrow I swim:
    100 IM
    50 Free
    50 Back
    200 Free

Sunday I swim:
    50 breast
    50 fly
    100 free

Have an idea of what I want to go in all but the 50 breast. I am not a breaststroker so I really don't care.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Swim + ballet

I swam again at lunch today with the team. Here’s what I did:

700 scy warmup

5 x 150 (75 ST ez/m/f, 75 FR f/m/ez) @ 2:45 [did the last 50 of each kick]

Chalk talk on FR and BK entry and exit

4 x (100 BK @ :30 rest, 200 IM @ :30 rest), odd sets EZ focusing on technique, even sets fast

200 warmdown

I like the technique-focused chalk talks we get—they’re about 5 minutes long, and always give me something good to focus on during the rest of the workout (and often the rest of the week and beyond). I know I should be focusing on technique keys while I swim in any case, but my attention is prone to wandering to other stuff going on in the pool, and the chalk talks help it find its way back to more pertinent matters.

Tonight I did ballet class, which always leaves me happy and energized. We did lots of jumping. I need to stretch my legs out well tonight and tomorrow—last week they stayed really tight after ballet for several days.

Good luck to all you colonists and others doing meets this weekend!

Tags: ballet, noon
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Short tune up 4/22/10

by , April 22nd, 2010 at 07:41 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Taught a swim lesson and stayed in the water for a 100 yards swim working on form.
    did:
    4 x 100
    4 x 25 fist sprints to 15
    5 x 100

Carbing up, clipping, packing, and getting ready to lay the smack down on Fort..
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Thursday, Apr. 22

by , April 22nd, 2010 at 05:44 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    ART, 40 minutes:

Went in for a tune up. He worked over my scapular area and my tight left psoas & hammie muscles (this was a by product of bikram too, I think).

We chatted briefly about extreme isometric holds. He had not heard much about them as they are still pretty cutting edge. However, he agreed that the total fiber recruitment involved would help speed/strengthen short arc contractions.

We also chatted about protein consumption. I told him my son was having trouble gaining/sustaining weight for crew despite lifting, protein consumption etc. He said that the protein won't be adequately absorbed without the green veggies. It's super hard to get teens to eat enough of these ...

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main sets:

8 x 50 fly drills @ 15-20 RI

8 x 25 breast pullouts, working on shooting arms forward and keeping hands under body

50 EZ

2 x (25 build free + 25 EZ)

1 x (25 fast evil + 25 EZ)

150 EZ

Total: 1550

Commentary:

Ready to race already. Getting totally bored with the brief rest.

I don't really have any goal times for this weekend other than not to suck and not to get DQ'd. I would like to break 26 in the 50 free, but I realize I'd never done that without a full taper. I don't swim the event that often; and I have a love/hate relationship with it.

Speaking of 50 free, I've swum 2 this year -- 1 in SCY and one in SCM. The SCM one converts to exactly the same time as I swam in yards. One was in a full body B70 nero comp and the other was in the new B70 kneeskin ... Interesting ... I'm sure there were other factors at play.

Articles:

Drylands:

Here's an article supporting a link between drylands and improved swimming performance, which is much more recent than the short lived Costill study Jim selectively cites. :-P

It's from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. Here's the abstract:

ABSTRACT. Girold, S., D. Maurin, B. Dugue ́, J.-C. Chatard, and G. Millet. Effects of dry-land vs. resisted- and assisted-sprint exercises on swimming sprint performances. J. Strength Cond. Res. 21(2):599–605. 2007.—This study was undertaken to com- pare the effects of dry-land strength training with a combined in-water resisted- and assisted-sprint program in swimmer ath- letes. Twenty-one swimmers from regional to national level par- ticipated in this study. They were randomly assigned to 3 groups: the strength (S) group that was involved in a dry-land strength training program where barbells were used, the resist- ed- and assisted-sprint (RAS) group that got involved in a spe- cific water training program where elastic tubes were used to generate resistance and assistance while swimming, and the control (C) group which was involved in an aerobic cycling pro- gram. During 12 weeks, the athletes performed 6 training ses- sions per week on separate days. All of them combined the same aerobic dominant work for their basic training in swimming and running with their specific training. Athletes were evaluated 3 times: before the training program started, after 6 weeks of training, and at the end of the training program. The outcome values were the strength of the elbow flexors and extensors eval- uated using an isokinetic dynamometer, and the speed, stroke rate, stroke length, and stroke depth observed during a 50-meter sprint. No changes were observed after 6 weeks of training. At the end of the training period, we observed significant increases in swimming velocity, and strength of elbow flexors and exten- sors both in the S and RAS groups. However, stroke depth de- creased both in the S and RAS groups. Stroke rate increased in the RAS but not in the S group. However, no significant differ- ences in the swimming performances between the S and RAS groups were observed. No significant changes occurred in C. Altogether, programs combining swimming with dry-land strength or with in-water resisted- and assisted-sprint exercises led to a similar gain in sprint performance and are more efficient than traditional swimming training methods alone.

Triathlon swim starts:

Ran across this article on triathlon swim starts. The training methods all seem to contemplate an all out sprint at the beginning. That threw me into lactate shock last year and I was looking for a different approach ...

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Arti...Swim_Start.htm

Sports Nutrition:

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Arti...erformance.htm

smoothies: http://www.active.com/fitness/Articl...ou_Recover.htm

http://ow.ly/1Bhy7
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  6. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -04/23/10

by , April 22nd, 2010 at 05:10 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    The young Sharks exit the LC pool at 6:30, so we will do our last set LC

SCY
    WARM UP:
    1 X 250 4:10
    2 X 200 3:20
    1 X 150 2:15
    2 X 100 1:30

5 X 100 free 1:30
    5 X 100 kick 2:15
    5 X 100 IM or choice stroke 2:00

4 X 50 1:00
    1 X 100 easy free 2:30
    Three rounds.
    Round 1: 50's are fly, 2 back, 3 breast.

LCM

4 X 200 free 3:20
    4 X 100 1:40
    Descend both 1-4

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4800 Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Tuesday, April 20, 2010

by , April 22nd, 2010 at 03:37 PM (Keepin Track 2010)
    Today I needed to get some weights workout in. I worked out my arms, shoulders, triceps, and core. Plus I executed all the leg's weights series from the PT folks. Legs felt weak. Arms felt tough. I moved back 8lb dumb-bells 1st set & 10lb er's second set.

I added the ring core exercises from the USA Swimming chica on the website.

Today's practice:

800 (400 swim, 400 Pull w/P+PB) WU
    600 (4 x 25 Br Dr, 4 x 50 Br swim; 4 x 25 Ba Dr, 4 x 50 Ba swim)

Main set: (2400)
    1 x 200 Pull w/P+PB @ 2:40
    4 x 125 Free swim @ 1:40
    1 x 100 Back swim @ 2:00
    (Repeat 3x)

100EZ

200 Kick w/zoomers

4 x 50 Drill/swim by 25

Total = 4300yds
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Thu Apr 22nd 2010

by , April 22nd, 2010 at 10:48 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Apr 22nd 2010

Today I wore B70 legs in practice
    Garrett Weber Gale told me I was wasting the "magic" of the suit by wearing it in practice

Glenn Mills of http://www.goswim.tv/ was in town this morning filming Eric Shanteau
    I watched Glenn shoot some of Erics starts using a
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YPFKZ4?ie=UTF8&tag=ifsande-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B002YPFKZ4 "]Casio EX-FH25 10.1MP High Speed Digital Camera[/ame]

Lifted yesterday after work

2010 Short Course National Championships
    Thu May 20 - Sun 23, 2010
    Nats are in 4 weeks & 1 day,
    29 DAYS away,
    time to get fast, strong, skinny, & rested
    Days Till Nats

Psych Sheets

Team Website

Campus Map

Team Roster i.e. my team longhorn aquatics is TXLA

2010 SCY South Central Zones Results are up

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy main pool
    Chris coached, Whitney's away being inducted into the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame
    6:30 - 8:00
    dove in on time
    swam with Kelly, Brandon, Tenille, & an Australian triathlete
    beside Marcio & ritchie
    tyler Nate, amy, ned, larry, chris & Desiree
    wore B70 legs

Warm up

MAIN SET

assigned 500 fr
    did 5 x 50

assigned 5 x 100 on 1:15
    did 100, 50, 100, 50, 100

assigned 800
    did 8 x 50

assigned 400 fr
    did 4 x 50

assigned 4 x 100 on 1:15
    did 100, 50, 50 100

assigned 800
    did skipped it

assigned 300 fr
    did 3 x 50

assigned 3 x 100 on 1:15
    did 100, 50, 100

assigned 800
    did skipped it

talked with Kris Kubik when I skipped parts of sets,

he told me yesterday Ben Van Roekel did a get out swim.
    he did 50 yard free from a running start wearing an old LZR with a busted Zipper & a jaked. 3 coaches timed him.
    he hasn't trained much since NCAAs.
    he went 18.5

2010 MEETS:

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events

Updated April 22nd, 2010 at 03:33 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  9. Updated Progress

by , April 22nd, 2010 at 08:38 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I have been swimming a bit this week. The ribs feel a little better each day.
    I tried a flip turn today; bad idea
    I am depressed and beginning to think the 10K may be a bad idea. I should be swimming more than 1500 a day at this point. I don't want to push it and make it worse though.
    I think a new goal may be in order. I turn 55 in September. Perhaps a new age group will get me motivated!?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Attempting to sprint some

by , April 22nd, 2010 at 07:51 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Testing the leg out today with a lot more kicking and some sprint work. My kick did not feel as strong as it had been or I was too timid to push it real hard. Not sure which.

10x100@1:45 Free felt really fast this morning held 1:25's
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd moderate
    10x50@:55 Breasts pull w/fins pushed hard here
    5x100@1:45 Fly kick w/fins 25 rt side, 25 lt side, 50 on back
    10x50 alternate Free and Fly from dive sprint 20 yards
    200, 150, 100, 50@:10R Free EASY

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Wednesday, April 21

by , April 21st, 2010 at 10:44 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

8 x 50 fly drills @ 1:00
    (chest press, caterpillar, one arm and plyo drill, which I've decided is good for working on pulling straight down)

50 dolphin dive

10 x 25 UW shooters, dolphin kick on side

50 dolphin dive

10 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly w/fins
    evens = EZ

3 x (25 AFAP evil + 50 EZ)

175 EZ

Total: 2000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Felt pretty mermaid-ish in the water today despite (TMI alert) the effen unexpected arrival of AF.

I am readying the place for the arrival of Stud, Chicken and Jimi. Stud in the green room with his boxing gloves, Jimi in the red room with his hallucinogenics and the pony, and Chicken in the guest cottage with her HTFU gear. Scarlet, as Jimi has taken to calling me, will attempt to sleep in her usual place of repose.

Now, complete non sequitor: What age should teenage girls be allowed to date? My 15 year old freshman teen is criticizing my "strict" choice of 16 for solo dating ... On the upside, she's had her permit for awhile now and, despite terrorizing me, hasn't killed me.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Jim! The acclaimed new HBO series

by , April 21st, 2010 at 10:12 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Tomorrow I leave for Colony Zones. I am hoping that when I return on Sunday night, or possibly Monday afternoon, that I will have excellent news awaiting me regarding a new acclaimed HBO miniseries based on my life.

You may say I'm a dreamer....
    But I'm not the only one...

-John Lennon

Here is how this rapidly developing news began developing rapidly:

Backpacker
    Magazine has been serializing little video clips from my time in the Wilderness last fall. In an effort to let my various acquaintances know about this, I sent out innumerable Facebook postings, and when these went largely ignored, decided to try a more direct approach, that is to say, a mass emailing.

Here is what I wrote:

Dearest Munificent Swimming Friends of Jim,

How I treasure each and every one of you!

Great news!!! (Though I should say at the outset here you will not hurt my feelings if you delete this unread!)

Part 2.
    of my Lost in the Wilderness video diary is ready for your viewing at the Backpacker magazine web site!

In fact, you can also find
    The Trailer and Part 1.here at this web site also: http://www.backpacker.com/jim-thornt...inations/14087

Part 3—the Finale
    --is going to be posted on April 26th. I can’t wait to see if I live or die!

For those of you who like to read, I will also attach
    the .pdf of the actual story. Feel free, of course, to delete this unread if you have reached this point in today’s email and are having second thoughts and cold feet!

{Note from Jim--if you want me to send you, too, a .pdf of the actual story, just send me your email address and I will!}

My feelings are impervious to insult! You won’t hurt them by deleting any of this at any time!

However, if you can leave a nice comment on the
    Backpacker web site, it might help secure my employment for future oddventures that – assuming they don’t kill, maim, or completely dement me – you might find future amusement in living vicariously through my sufferings.

I am, for instance, trying to talk them into sending me to Death Valley this summer to hike around and see just how thirst quenching mirages are...

Again, videos here:

http://www.backpacker.com/jim-thornt...inations/14087

(Comments are moderated so won’t appear immediately.)

PS If you want to be removed from any of the very infrequent mailings of mine in the future, just send me a note to this effect. If, however, you want to add some of your friends, you can send me a note to that effect as well.

No wonder I treasure each of you so!

Jim Thornton

Jim's USMS Masters Swimming Vlog:

http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=26

This mass emailing, alas, provoked a...less than mass response.

However, quantity is not the only measure of a response. There is also quality to consider.

And one of the few respondents that actually did write me back was the lovely
    swimming star, Cheryl Kupan. You can look up Cheryl's astonishing masters swimming record here: http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/indre...wage=&highage=

As remarkable as her swimming has been, what is even more intriguing to me is her life among the New York Glitterati.

This is what Cheryl recently posted as her "status" on Facebook:

Cheryl Kupan is wondering if she can find date/friend for the Entourage premiere...

Naturally, I thought she meant the kind of thing we little people mean when we say things like this on Facebook--i.e., can anyone out there in Coraopolis, Leetsdale, Edgeworth, Emsworth, etc. with cable, HBO, and, preferably, a High Definition TV, invite me over to watch Vince, Drama, E, and Turtle when they resume their mildly amusing lives of leisure and privilege?

(from left to right: Hodding Carter, Rahm Emmanuel, Mike Ross, Michael Schmidt, Jim Thornton)

But it turns out that Cheryl is not like the little people. She means the actual, live, Entourage premier somewhere out in Los Angeles.

She told me that she works for Time Warner, which owns HBO, which makes Entourage. And furthermore, I managed to wheedle out of her that "the HBO chicks" love her.

Could I somehow finagle a
    Munchhausen by proxy syndrome pathological love spin-off sort of arrangement for me?

Could I?

Okay, so, with the above background in mind, and the premise set up, here is our subsequent correspondence.

Cheryl, I hope you don't mind. And I
    really hope that the HBO chicks that love you/by-extension-us don't mind.

In a message dated 4/21/2010 1:48:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jamesthornton1@comcast.net writes:
    Part 3—the Finale--is going to be posted on April 26th. I can’t wait to see if I live or die!

Wow! Real life Drama! I have lots of catching up to do. I'm the reading type, so I'll take if for the train ride/snooze home.

I too will wait in anticipation for April 26th to see your fate. Is there a "Will Jim Live or Die" pool that I can put a wager in?

{note from Jim--Cheryl picked out this pretty-in-pink font color expressly for me. At least I am pretty sure she did.}

Insider tip: Bet on him not making it.

Send your wager to me, and if I don’t make it out of Idaho, I will pay you your winnings within 24 hours!

PS Consider floating The Jim Thornton Story/Experience to your friends at HBO. This has mini series written all over it!

Cheryl's reply:

Let me read through it first -- HBO does do quirky.
    Is this more like Hung, or Curb, or redneck Sopranos?
    I can't wait for my train ride home to start reading all about your adventures....

{note from Jim: she has abandoned the pretty-in-pink font color to a business-like black. My heart skips a beat}

It’s a little like Hung meets Survivor Man only I am neither hung nor a survivor but rather loser freelance writer forced to go on these oddventurous trips to keep from losing his house. A few of the other ones I’ve done over the years:

· Lay down with dead cows in the Chihuahuan desert in hopes of coaxing vultures into landing on me

· Jetskiied to Siberia where I was held at gun point by Kalashnikov-toting Soviets

· Set my own personal land speed record on the Bonneville Salt Flats in a 69 Mustang with a Lincoln Continental engine tweaked to burn Nitrous

· Blowgun monkey hunted in the Ecuadorian Amazon

· Almost got electrocuted testing out a shark-repelling device while swimming through a feeding frenzy of sharks

· Scissored through a half-pipe at Breckenridge, twice, on a “snow bike” after breaking my ribs on the thing 20 minutes earlier

I also have done the same kind of thing with countless unnecessary medical procedures—from virtual colonoscopies to anti-impotence “trans-urethral micro-suppository pellets” (not actually impotent, so in order to simulate this, I had my wife sing Ethel Merman songs in bed).

I will attach a few pictures!

Desperation breeds desperate measures—as enthralled viewers of HBO’s new acclaimed seriesJIM! will surely attest to!

Joking aside, I have so many of these first person experiential stories I’ve written over the decades that we could do easily do 5 years worth of episodes in visually spectacular locales. Throw in some (fictitious) love interests, like the cruelly beautiful publicist for HBO who keeps threatening to cut my show, and a Dickensian assortment of Smallweed-like rapacious creditors, and I think we have the next American Masterpiece on our hands!

Cheryl's reply:

You had me at Hung, then lost me at not hung.

Jim's reply: {note--I am not proud of this, but Hollywood is a cruel town. You do what you must to secure yourself a place on the casting couch.}

What I meant was that I am not hung. I’m HUNG!!!!
    But I was afraid this would scare the Japanese side of your family tree.

Cheryl's reply:
    OK!!!!
    But I was afraid this would scare the Japanese side of your family tree. --good memory.

All right. As of now, the ball, or perhaps balls, for I have floated quite a few concepts here, are in Cheryl's lovely court/cougar cave.

Who knows what the high-powered beautiful media mavens of Manhattan are thinking?

If I had to venture a guess, she's on the horn with her stiletto-heeled HBO chick mafia, telling them even now about this sad sack rube who has blundered onto a pot of gold with his sad sack life.

They may even be debating ways of negotiating a low-ball rock-bottom option for my life story.

Let me take the angst out of the equation for you, Cheryl.

You are correct. I am no "sophisticate" with even the most rudimentary understanding of "moral obligation bonds backed by collateralized Burger King Limited Partnership swap derivative shares amortized against the yen."

These kinds of money things baffle and daze me.

My life story is my gift to the world.

I will let it go in a heartbeat for an option in the very, very low seven figures.

Apparently, she is still thinking it over.

But when I get back from Colony Zones, I am confident everybody's gonna get well!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Things will get better! 4/21/10

by , April 21st, 2010 at 08:33 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well it's the week of crap: the volcanic ash cloud wrecking my Mother's trip to the USA...an uncle dies the day after being informed he has cancer...I'm worrying about what doom event number 3 will be...ugh!

Anyhow.
    Thusly.
    Warm Up
    Set1
    2 x 150 2:30 100 P/50 Swim
    3 x 100 1:50 50 DR/50 SW
    2 x 50 SWIM :50

Set 2--All Free
    50 K 1:30
    50 Swim :45
    100 Swim 1:35
    150 Swim 2:20
    200 Swim 3:15
    150 Swim 2:20
    100 Swim 1:35
    50 Swim :45

Set 3 All BR
    4 x 100 Pull 2:30
    4 x 75 Build 2:00
    2 x 50 Swim 3&4 15 yard sprints EZ to wall

Free Sprints
    4 x 15 yard fist sprints & EZ to wall.

Cool
    400 EZ Fin Kick
    4 x 50 EZ

Lifted 1 set of each exercise and stretched off. Muscle milk.

Change of Plans for Zones...I'll be flying solo...better for swimming.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Central Park report, and swim

I swam again at the AGUA lunchtime workout today—it’s getting to be a habit. On pretty days, I try to make time to walk over to the pool and/or back. Today I did both, and saw the following things in Central Park:

5 saxophonists (one of whom was playing Michael Jackson songs and moonwalking)
    2 violinists
    1 erhu (I think) player
    1 person practicing javelin throwing (just the throwing motion, not the run-up, so his throws weren’t going super far, thank goodness. He looked like he knew what he was doing, and had 4 javelins with him.)
    2 people with personal trainers doing planks and lunges and other Fortress-worthy exercises
    1 toddler wailing because her caregiver refused to let her wander over and join in the plank funness
    6 adult softball teams in full uniform, all taking their games very seriously
    Too many picnickers to count
    1 person carrying a bunny rabbit cradled in his arms
    2 professional photo shoots (looked like they were both for clothing ads)
    4 wedding photo shoots
    2 people walking on stilts and holding hands
    and lots of people jogging or biking or walking and enjoying the sunshine

Here’s the workout we did today:

400 warmup

9 x 75 @ :15 rest, done as 3 x (75 kick, 75 drill, 75 swim), building within each 75 [I did the first set of 3 FL, the second BK, the third BR]

25 easy

15 x 50 FR: 5 @ :45, 5 @ :40, 5 @ :35 [I came very close to making the 35s—I missed the 4th send-off by a second, then caught back up to touch right at :35 on the 5th.]

50 easy

5 x 200 (150 FR build, 50 ST fast) @ 3:00 [ST = BK for me, since I’m swimming a 200 BK at nats]

200 warmdown

I really enjoyed getting to mix up speeds a lot today.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Tuesday April 20, 2010

Swam solo before coaching ... turns have felt like crap so that was my main focus.

1000 w/u:
    300 free
    200 IM drill
    4 x 50 kick/build
    100 fly drill
    100 back drill
    100 ez

6 x (12.5 fast, 25 fast, 12.5 fast)
    This set allows me to work breakouts, turns and finishes well rested for each. I love this set. I do it LCM, too, doubling the distances.

I went free, fly, back, fly, fly, free.

Then I did 4 x 25 from the middle of the pool. Turns FINALLY started feeling better. In working on my turns during all the longer stuff done earlier this season I began staying on my side longer and was having trouble getting to my stomach to start fast swimming.

I finally got it down - hope it sticks.

C/D ?

State meet this weekend. Swimming all four 50s, 100 free and IM and 200 free. No relays since I'm swimming unattached.

Massage today - THANK THE HEAVENS!!! So stoked. Need to get a couple more in before nats.

Ready to thrown on the B70 and see what happens.

Planning on swimming Thursday and taking Friday off. Cross your fingers I don't suck this weekend!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -04/22/10

by , April 21st, 2010 at 12:45 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

WARM UP:
    4 X 150 2:45
    4 X 100 1:45
    4 X 50 1:00

2 X 200 kick 5:00
    2 X 300 IM 6:00
    2 X 400 free 6:40

9 X 100 free 1:40
    1-3: moderate
    4-6: negative split
    7-9: fast

12 X 50 1:10
    choice stroke/no free

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4700M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Wed Apr 21st 2010 overslept

by , April 21st, 2010 at 12:38 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Apr 21st 2010

Went to bed too last last night & over slept, I woke at 6:21 & need to leave my house by 5:45 to arrive on time. My plan was to leave at 5:15 & lift weights then go to practice, today I just got ready & drove straight to practice.

2010 Short Course National Championships
    Thu May 20 - Sun 23, 2010
    Nats are in 4 weeks & 2 days, it's
    30 DAYS away,
    time to get fast, strong, skinny, & rested
    Days Till Nats

Psych Sheets

Team Website

Campus Map

Team Roster i.e. my team longhorn aquatics is TXLA

2010 SCY South Central Zones Results are up

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy main pool
    Chris coached, Whitney is a away being inducted into the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame
    7:30 - 8:00
    dove in at 7:30 right at the start of a new set
    swam with Kristyn, Joe, Dale, & Mary
    beside tenille, Marcio, & doug
    Nate & Chris were leaving when I arrived
    wore briefs

MAIN SET

swam easy a lane over from where I normally do, which I consider gentle aerobic

8 x 100 fr on 1:15

50 easy

8 x 150
    odds 100k 50 fr on 2:20
    evens 150 fr on 2:10

50 easy

2010 MEETS:

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Things to think about this week...

by , April 21st, 2010 at 12:37 PM (Keepin Track 2010)
    As Nationals approaches I have a new bag of techniques and skills to prepare. Some have been given by Coach Russell, some by Dan, some by Laren, some by Mykleby, some by Adam Mania, and some by little old me! lol.

Just to document them...here goes:
    1. thumbs up on recovery of breaststroke and land with palms down.
    2. anchor catch of breastroke wide and well with elbows high over hips.
    3. on breaststroke turns (and all turns) place feet high on the wall.
    4. on breast turns, allow feet to be above head on initial pushoff until snap the dolphin kick, then neutralize head position and be sure to EXPLODE out into the stroke not use a long stretched out pull to begin race/swim.
    5. on free turns, try to cease snapping the flip. Legs working too hard and too far from wall to be of good use. Come closer to walls and roll turns tighter without snaps.

As for races...I had a good showing at Y Nationals last weekend. Things I learned and want to repeat:

WARM UPS:
    be sure to get at least 200 dolphin or flutter kick in before even trying BR kick. Need blood to the legs. Pay lots of attention to warming BR up adequately. Groin and Hip Flexors need help. Also, for freestyle do several 50's or 25 in which I up-tempo my stroke a few times per length until really turning over by end of length.
    Buildups essential. Stay warm till events. Wear more clothes.

SWIMS:
    50 FR: Starting to use strong rapid dolphin off start with amplitude. Ride the B70 glide and explode to the surface. take one or two strokes on top of water to settle into sprint tempo. As approach flags, BREATHE, and up tempo to charge the wall. Feet high on turn and two to three dolphins before flutter and breakout. Get hips rolling on breakout and continue using hip action thru rest of 50. Keep hips from dragging and concentrate on good catches, fast tempo, and high elbows.

100 FR: Dolphins off start and turns are a new must! Ride the glide to surface and stay HUGE in stroke feel the height of the body position. Keep kick relaxed but useful, breathe 4, 2, 2, 2. On second 25 remember to breathe and not get ahead of self on tempo. Work 2nd turn and explode into up tempo 2nd 50 swim. Employ strong and fast legs and keep hips rolling and arms stretched to good catch. Pay attention to finish, plan for it but charge to it.

100 IM: This race still eludes me a bit. I need to practice up tempo-ing my fly to get out faster. DOlphin off the backstroke walls and ride the glide. Faster underwater for sure than me swimming backstroke! LOL. relax the fast turnover. Need help on better catch. Lead with shoulders instead of flat. Be certain of stroke count and BA/BR turn. Take 3 buildup strokes to breast sprint. Roll hips and employ every last effort for FR. Stay HIGH!!

50 BR: key is warm up here. must work on build ups in warm up to have mental security in stroke. After exploding out of underwater dolphin and surfacing, take 1 big catch ans set hips stroke, then 2 build up stroke to sprint tempo. Employ same after turn except only one buildup stroke. Remember to keep hips high on surface. Must practice BR kick WITHOUT board to do this. SHOOT hands relaxed.
    Anticipate finish.

100 BR: Think 100 free approach here. The key is NOT a slower tempo stroke with long glide to stretch out first 50. INSTEAD keep tempo up and have confidence in how strong I am. Keep hips high and swim gorgeous. On second 50 worry then about fatigue. Better to go out too fast than too slow. Work 3rd turn hard and dolphin and accelerate to finish. Keep head low always! No looking ahead or to side. Face down.

50 FLY: I have been leaving this event to chance. The competition is too fierce to do that so....I plan to practice up-tempo-ing my fly this week and next and in HQ doing at least ONE 50 FLY. This should help the IM too. Increase ability to hold amplitude in underwater dolphin at a fast pace. Race pace dolphin kick practice a must! Ride glides. B70 will be gone before I know it.

HYDRATION: sipping water good for a time. If 1-2 hours, then water fine. After 2 hours, need Gatorade (orange was fine) Sip slowly and then back to water.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Wednesday, April 21, 2010

by , April 21st, 2010 at 12:13 PM (Keepin Track 2010)
    Hard practice last night. 2400 main set left my legs too tired and on verge of cramps to kick well. Went back in this am to add to that yardage and think thru some drills and wall work that I had been given at Y Nats.

Borrowed Laren's Monday workout.

YOGA 1 hour

300 WU
    300 Pull WU with paddles

8x100 drill
    1. br kick
    2. br drill (sculling)
    3. br drill (two kicks per pull)
    4. br drill (alt dolphin kick with br kick by strokes)
    5. bro drill ( 2under 2 over)
    6. FLY
    7. BACK
    8. FREE

4x100 KICK
    25 flutter on back, 25 flutter on stomach, 25 fly on back, 25 fly on stomach

2x25 hard on :30
    1x50 easy free on 1:00

200 WD
    Categories
    Workouts
  20. Wednesday, 4/21/10

by , April 21st, 2010 at 11:14 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, with Carrie
    A bit of pace work today with a few sprints thrown in.

500 swim free
    300 IM drill
    200 kick rev IM

6 x 50 on 1:00 alt. drill/build by 25: odds free, evens choice
    (went fly-back-breast on non-free)

swim 8 x 50 free on :50 at a comfortable pace
    (39-40 on these holding 16 spl)
    100 easy

repeat 2x on 4:00
    {
    swim 50 free FAST off the blocks
    100 easy