View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. The smooth delicious center of the IM

I swam the noon masters workout at AG today. I started out working on my BK and BR sprinting, since I'm swimming 50s of both at nationals, then combined the 2 strokes with an eye towards working on the middle part of my 2IM. Hereís how it went:

600 scy warmup

7 x 75 k/d/s @ :15, odds FR, evens FL/BK/BR

75 easy swim

16 x 25 fastish @ :30, odds BK, evens BR
    100 easy @ 2:00
    6 x 50 fast @ 1:00, 2 back, 2 breast, 2 back [I the odds build and the evens fast]
    100 easy
    3 x 100 fast @ 1:50 [I did these as BK/BR halfsies, and skipped a 50 of the last one]
    100 easy
    95 from blocks for time [I did an IM middle, ie 50BK/50BR]
    200 warmdown

Taper superstitions: Although I really like playing with numbers during most of my swim season, and am usually watching the clock to note my splits on anything over 100, I donít like knowing what times Iím swimming during my taper. This is particularly true of any swims that I will be doing at the meet Iím tapering foróie, I donít want to know my time for a 200 IM from the blocks in practice if thatís an event Iíll be swimming. In fact, I often refuse to swim the exact distances or strokes that Iíll be doing in the meet, preferring to practice my races in pieces instead.

I donít know that this is completely a superstition on my partóI donít really believe that knowing my times will magically jinx me at the meet or anything. Rather, I do it mostly because I know myself well enough to realize that if I have data to play with, I will worry about it. It is analogous to peeking at the scoreboard at meets during the backstroke leg of the IMs in order to see the FL split. I finally convinced myself to stop doing this, because I know that there is no number in the world that I can see up there that will make me feel more confident and relaxed in my swim. If the split is over or under my goal split, I worry that Iím pacing the race wrong, and if even itís right on the number that I was aiming for, I just find something else to worry about, like whether my perceived effort is too great for that particular time. In short, numbers can turn me into a worrywart.

Itís the same during taperóif my times are slow, I worry that my taper is not going right, and if theyíre fast, I worry that Iíve tapered too soon or that Iím working too hard. I find it easier to just ignore the stopwatch and trust that Iíve put in the work, and that it will all come together at the meet.

Is anyone else a stopwatch-phobe during taper?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Amazing....

by , May 4th, 2010 at 05:46 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    It is truly amazing how one little tiny stroke adjustment can make all the difference in the world. Just hope my stroke adjustment works well when it counts. Did 4 x 25 fly swims from side of pool in tank suit. I noticed on the second and third 25, my left arm was really slipping through the water and could see lots of bubbles. I didn't feel like I had a good pull on the water. I can't afford to lose power through this area, especially after all the hard work I've done on the lat hi row. I adjusted how my hands were entering the water. On the last 25, I anchored my hands instead of having them enter thumbs down, palms turned out. Seemed to make a big difference as my last 25 showed.

Warm-up: Reverse 400 I.M.

2 x 100 doggy drill

4 x 50 golf drill - count freestyle strokes per 50 and add time to get total number - 59, 58, 60, 58

2 x 100 dolphin kick on back with fins

2 x 100 3 rt/3 lt/3 full fly with fins

25 fly from a dive - 12.91

200 easy free

25 fly from a dive - 13.33

200 3 rt/3 lt/3 full fly with fins

25 fly from a dive - 13.12

200 3 rt/3 lt/3 full fly with fins

25 fly from a dive - 12.75!!

200 easy

2100 SCY

Anchoring that left hand really seemed to help. My left arm was no longer slipping and seemed to be pulling much better. Now I've got to stick to my adjustment and make it works when it counts.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Tuesday, May 4

by , May 4th, 2010 at 04:48 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

10 x 25 twirling SDK shooters w/MF

Main Set:

4 x 75 free @ 1:30
    done as 25 build + 50 cruise

1 x (25 free AFAP + 25 EZ)

4 x 75 evil w/MF @ 1:30
    focusing on head position, smaller insweep and lunging forward with hands
    Rob B says to try this with a snorkel

2 x (25 AFAP evil + 25 EZ)

4 x 75 back SDK w/MF @ 1:30
    done as easy speed triple shooter breathing only before flip
    went 38-40

3 x (25 AFAP back SDK + 25 EZ)

4 x 75 fly @ 1:30
    done as 25 hand lead drill + 25 single arm fly + 25 easy speed fly
    I tried using a wider entry on the last 25. It felt very strange.

50 EZ

4 x 25 AFAP IMO
    done as broken 100 IM, approx 15 seconds rest between 25s. Couldn't see pace clocks well to get a time.

300 EZ

Total: 2900

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Commentary:

This is the structure of a JMiller workout that I did 12 days out from NE Champs. I like this set because, like the one I did the other day, it intersperses sprinting (10 x 25 AFAP) throughout. I felt a little better in the water today. But I suspect it will take a few more days to recover from that horrible night of sleep.

On Sleep:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/prof.../section2.html

http://harvardmagazine.com/2005/07/deep-into-sleep.html

My left shoulder/lat/trap feels rather twingey too. It could be from tossing and turning at night. As a precaution, I'm eliminating pulling with paddles (which I find I kinda like) and using fins 100% for a few days.

I'm swimming with Speedo and Wolfy tomorrow. We haven't decided on the workout yet. I was thinking it might be time for 6 x 50 AFAP @ 3:00 though. JimRude prefers them on the 2:00 for more suffering and lactate buffering. Whatdayathink guys?

On Toenails:

Awhile ago, Mr. Fort went on a trail run and stubbed his toe. Afterward, he started to lose his toenail. (I'm read this is common in running and that some runners keep "toenail necklaces. ) He had a 20 mile run scheduled for last weekend and it was very painful. He was worried this might cause him to miss his marathon in 2 weeks in York. But me, the good wife, told him to go see a podiatrist and have it removed. It worked and he feels much better. He would have been pretty bummed to miss his marathon after the hard work and speed sessions he put in.

Articles:

How to prevent running injuries (gotta remind myself for after Nats):

http://myfitnessdepot.com/outdoors/r...easy-steps-to-
    prevent-running-injuries/.

Middle Aged Brain, courtesy of Mike: Take that snotty teenagers!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...me&ref=general

Benefits of Steam Room:

"My current gym has a steam room and I often sit in it for a few minutes after a workout. Although I assumed there was some benefit to this ritual I canít say that I really knew what the exact benefits where of sitting in a hot steamy room with fellow gym rats. So, I decided to investigate and this is what I foundÖ

A steam room offersa holistic health treatment,designed forextracting impurities from the body using heat. A steam room is different than a sauna, in that its effect is brought about by the use of wet heat as opposed to dry.

After a hard workout, a session in the steam roomis supposed to aid in keepingthe body relaxed and flexible, so that it will nottighten up as a result of hard exercise. The steam roomshould also help the body eliminate toxins, forcing them out through sweating. Your skin will be cleaner, softer, and healthier according to my research.

Some of the other benefits includeÖ

Help for Lung related issues

For hundreds of years, the inhalation of steam has been prescribed to treat various disorders of the lungs. A study conducted at the Common Cold Unit at Harvard Hospital reported that ďNasal hyperthermia can improve the course of a common cold and also give immediate relief of symptoms.ĒIn addition,steam has been shown to have positive effects on the symptoms of sinusitis, bronchitis and allergy related symptoms."

Chlorella:

I saw this supplement at Whole Foods the other day. I was wondering about it. I got this response from a sci geek friend on FB:

"Chlorella has been found to have anti-tumor properties when fed to mice.[4][5][6] Another study found enhanced vascular function in hypertensive rats given oral doses of chlorella.[7]

Chlorella is a complete protein. It is also packed with calories, fat, and vitamins.[3] At its onset, Chlorella was suggested as a "dirt-cheap" protein supplement to the human diet. However, later studies proved otherwise. Chlorella actually loses most of its nutritional value when altered or processed in any way. No longer considered an effective protein, pro-Chlorella supporters focused on other supposed health benefits of the algae, such as claims of weight control, cancer prevention, and immune system support.[3]

Under certain growing conditions, Chlorella yields oils high in polyunsaturated fatsóChlorella minutissima has yielded EPA at 39.9% of total lipids.[8]

Several studies suggest that Chlorella supplementation has a positive effect on the reduction of dioxin levels in breast milk and it may also have beneficial effects on nursing infants by increasing the IgA levels in breast milk. [9]"

Seven Proformance:

Jimby is testing this product out for an article: http://www.exfuze.com/index.aspx#.

I'm amazed he doesn't think it's all bogus. Is he turning to the dark side? He seems hooked on smoothies ...

Updated May 4th, 2010 at 09:01 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/05/10

by , May 4th, 2010 at 03:13 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    5 X 100 1:45
    3 X 100 kick 2:15
    4 X 100 IM 1:45
    6 X 50 kick 1:15

1 X 200 IM 3:30
    1 X 100 stroke 2:00
    2 X 50 stroke 1:00
    Three times through with a break between rounds.

LCM

8 X 200 3:20
    Negative split each swim.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4500 Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Tuesday, 5/4/10

by , May 4th, 2010 at 01:04 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Solo, SCY

400 reverse IM alt. kick/swim by 25
    300 pull alt. 75 free/75 back
    200 kick choice w/board
    4x75 on 1:30: kick/drill/build by 25; 75 of each, IM order

swim 4 x 250:
    #1 swim 200 back at hard pace, 50 easy on 5:00
    (went 2:48 for the 200 back)

#2 swim 150 free at hard pace, 10 sec. rest, 50 free all out, 50 easy choice on 5:00
    (I missed the part about resting 10 sec after the 150. So I checked the clock as I was coming into the turn and kept going. was about 2:00 at 150 then finished at 2:35 for 200)

#3 swim 100 free at hard pace, rest 10 sec., 100 back at hard pace, 10 sec. rest, 50 easy choice on a total interval of 5:00
    (was between 1:13 and 1:14 on free, between 1:18 and 1:19 on back)

#4 swim 50 free moderate, 10 sec., 50 back FAST, 10 sec., 50 back moderate, 10 sec., 50 free FAST, 10 sec., 50 easy choice
    (50 free - 40, 50 back - 38, 50 back - 45, 50 free 33)

kick 3x100 on 2:20, alt. easy/fast by 25; board optional
    (#1 with board - 1:48, #2 & 3 on back - 1:58, 1:57)

swim 4x50 on 1:00: #1-2 back, #3-4 free; #2 and 4 fast
    (#1 - 45, #2 - :39, #3 - 41, #4 - 35)

swim down 200 easy choice
    --
    Total: 2900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Seriously?!?!

WTF?

So I swam Friday night solo because I knew I wouldn't get in Saturday and knew it was possible that I wouldn't get in on Sunday. I wanted to get up early and go on Sunday but I felt sick as heck Saturday night and decided I needed the sleep - rest of the day was packed so there was no chance of the pool happening.

Took a half day yesterday to get stuff done, rest and try to tinker with food to figure out just why my poor stomach hates me ... no luck, got sicker as the day went on and spent the workout time in bed. (fortunately with clean sheets and about 10 loads of laundry done in a now clean room)

Nonetheless - allergies are flairing up like crazy, stomach is killing me (mostly just painful) ... not what I need to be in 2.5 weeks out.

Oh well, today is a new day ... swimming solo after work (in theory) .... Just needed to
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Feel like I am in the YUCK of taper - too early

by , May 4th, 2010 at 08:52 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I think my illness last week has put me a week ahead on taper. Not good.

500 Free every 3rd lap back
    3x200@4:00 Back at pace went 3:16, 3:15, 3:14
    8x25@1:00 Back kick
    3x100@2:00 Back at pace went 1:34, 1:35, 1:34
    8x25@1:00 Back kick
    3x50@1:30 Back SPRINT went :44, :44, :43
    10x50 from dive 15 meter breakouts starts were ok the speed was missing in the breakout
    350 Free EASY

Total 2800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. A Sunny Day Off!

by , May 3rd, 2010 at 10:18 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Today was a flex day at school, that translates to a day off for me!

I got up fairly early for a solo swim at the Monon Center. I am officially declaring this week # 1 of my official 10K training. The race is July 17th!
    Here's what I did:

**1,000 Freestyle swim
    **2 X 500 Freestyle (rest :30)
    **4 X 250 (1st plain, 2nd paddles/buoy, 3rd Backstroke, 4th plain)
    **8 X 125 Freestyle on 2:15
    **4 X (100 Back (rest :15) 75 IM (rest :15) 50 Free (rest :15) 25 Stroke IM Roll.

5,000 scm

I purchased a pair of AquaSphere Female Goggles/mask. I love these things. I have ABSOLUTELY NO GOGGLE MARKS on my face after swimming! When I wear my regular goggles I have deep rings around my eyes most of the day. They seal totally leak-free and so far have not fogged at all. I would love to have a pair of tinted ones to race ow in. As far as I have researched they do not make the tinted model for females.
    I have tried a couple other masky- type goggles and been unable to flip or push off the wall hard without rolling the goggles.

It was a perfectly blue sky summer-like day in Indy today. My eldest daughter and I went shopping. We drove around all day in her Dad's sporty black convertible! FUN, Fun, fun! Now we are in the midst of a heavy torrential downpour and thunderboomers! How quickly things can change!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Taper Soon 5/3/10

by , May 3rd, 2010 at 08:58 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    One more week until the tapering begins. Weights and running are still on the menu...but I've begun cutting out some junk..e.g. 1 serving of cake or cookies instead of 3... down to 170.

Warm Up
    Twice Through; 1st FR 2nd BR
    200 Kick (FR with Fins)
    200 Pull (BR with paddles, fins and Fly kick)
    200 Swim

Main

5 times through
    100 BR 2:00
    100 FR 2:00
    I had wanted to neg split the BR but there was nobody around to watch...I also kept forgetting to check the clock at the 50. DOH!
    4 x 50 EZ 1:00

Sprint
    Set
    12 x 25 1:00 IMO I wanted to go from blocks but sure enough, as I get to this part..I had to share the lane...so I did from push.
    4 x 50 EZ 1:00

"Dunno what you call this" Set
    5 x 100 2:00 Denoted fast 25's 1st, 4th, 1st, 4th, 1st and 4th. I was not quite sprint capable here.

Kick Set

8 x 50 1:20-1:30 First 5 I made the 1:20 on about 1:05. I pushed out the last 3 to 1:30 to keep the tempo up.

Cool Down

4 x 50 EZ

After I lifted, stretched and finished off with a muscle milk.

Updated May 3rd, 2010 at 11:12 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Zombie, May 3

by , May 3rd, 2010 at 06:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    P90X Stretch-Yoga, 60 minutes:

Plugged in the P90X DVD to do an hour of stretching and yoga. Followed this with 10-15 minutes of RC work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Ack! My children ruined my sleep last night. The 9 year old woke up with a nightmare. (Friend had told her a scary story of old man hiding in the shack behind the school. ) Then my 15 missed the bus, and came to wake me at 6:15 to drive her to school. Got home and had a hard time falling back to sleep as I had to get up at 7:45 with my youngest. In sum, super cruddy broken night sleep. Despite caffeine, I felt like a zombie. Instead of hitting the pool, I decided to rest at home and do the stretching and yoga. I also decided I'm done with all other cross training -- core, weights, hot yoga, etc. The only thing I'll do is stretching and light yoga to supplement the swimming.

I pulled a couple other workouts from my 12/09 blog to do this week.

Nutrition:

Found this smoothie recipe, which looks interesting. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/03/he...trition&st=cse. I've noticed quite a few smoothie recipes have lemon juice and maple syrup in them. I believe these are toxin flushing ingredients. http://www.ehow.com/facts_4815289_le...-cleanses.html.

This may be the detox that Chaos was doing. When I discussed detoxes with my chiro a couple weeks back, he mentioned there are level 1 and level 2 cleanses. Level 2 is more of a medical grade cleanse that really helps the organs.

FYI, I did see recently in a bicycling mag that coconut water and coconut butter or oil were must haves for smoothies.

Active.com ti's for losing weight the healthy way: http://www.active.com/nutrition/Arti...tm_medium=feed

Benefits of Gluten-Free Diet: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/06/sc...?ref=nutrition.

Sleep:

Interesting blog about marathoning/insomnia and sleep as recovery: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...trition&st=cse.

Updated May 3rd, 2010 at 06:10 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  11. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/04/10

by , May 3rd, 2010 at 04:52 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    3 X 200 3:20
    3 X 150 2:20
    3 X 100 1:30

4 X 100 kick 2:15
    6 X 50 kick 1:15

4 X 250 IM 4:30
    Rotate 50 of each stroke.

LCM

1 X 200 3:20
    4 X 100 1:40
    Twice through

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4450 Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. The pool felt so wonderfully cool this morning

I went to AGUAís early morning practice this morning. The weekend had been really hot and humid here, and our apartment building has not switched over to air conditioning yet, so I was super glad to crawl out of bed this morning and head to the pool. Hereís what we did:

600 scy warmup

9 x 75 K/D/S @ :15 rest interval (2 FL, 2 BK, 2 BR, 2 FR, 1 IM)

Then we divided into 2 groups, distance FR and ST/IM. I chose the latter. We did the following set:
    6 x 50 fast @ :35 [I did odds FL, BK, BR, evens FR]
    3 x 100 @ 1:40, [I did odds IM, evens BK]
    2 x 200 @ 3:20, [odd BK, even IM]
    300 IM
    6 x 50 fast @ :35 [same as above]
    300 easy FR
    2 x 200 easy FR
    4 z 100 ST fast @ 2:00 [I did odds IM (1:21, 1:18?), evens BK (1:17, 1:16)]

250 warmdown

Iíve been looking at the timeline for Atlanta and thinking about what suits I want to wear for each race. I have to decide which events are far enough apart to warrant costume changes in betweenóI donít like sitting around in my tech suit if thereís tons and tons of time between events. How do other people handle this? In spite of my general love of swimsuits, figuring out how many costume changes I should plan for and how many and which suits to bring (because putting back on the same wet tight tech suit seems pretty impossible) is not one of my favorite big-meet-associated tasks.

I am pretty pleased with the timing of my events: On Friday, my races start at 8am (400 IM, I always like swimming the first event on my first day at a meet, rather than waiting around), 12:15pm (50 BR), and 1:20 (200 BK). It looks like Iíll have a nice lunch break between the IM and before the 50 BR that day. On Saturday I get to sleep in, then swim the last 3 events back-to-back-to-back, at 12:50, 2:20, and 3:55. I might get to swim some relays in there as well. I think it will be a fun few days!

Yesterday afternoon I did the following rowing workout with Mr. Addict. It is the second time weíve attempted to do 6 x (2 minutes hard, 2 minutes rest), and both times Iíve bailed before I finished the set. The first time I tried to do 2 sets of 3 descending 2s, and I went 1:57 on the 3rd one, which is a very good time for me, but then was just too drained and wheezy to carry on. Yesterday my goal was just to go sub-2:10 on the odds and <2:05 on the evens, which I thought would be doable. I think I just got too overheatedóthe air conditioning at the Y has not been turned on yet, either. I ended up giving myself a get-out-time on the 4th rep, made it, and just did the last 2 easy. Mr. Addict was suffering too, but he powered through the whole thing.

6-minute warmup and drills
    2-minute rest
    8-minute piece build and pace work
    6 x (2-minute piece, 2-minute rest) [2:08, 2:03, 2:08, 2:03, 2:30, 2:25]
    8-minute warmdown [I skipped this since Iíd already warmed down]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Monday May 3, 2010

by , May 3rd, 2010 at 02:24 PM (Keepin Track 2010)
    Up too early! 3:45 am and couldn't get back to sleep. YUCK. Cat nap later in the hammock I think!

YOGA 8am-9am. Felt particularly flexible in hammys! Nice. Hip flexors tight and groin tender. Perhaps some extra care this week.

Massage 10-11am.

Ahhh the life!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. 5/3: Team Practice

Warm up (1000)
    - 400 swim
    - 200 kick no fins with board
    - 400 back
    Transition (200)
    - 4x50 kick with fins no board work streamline
    Main Set (1400)
    - 2x100 back
    - 200 Fast (2:16)
    - 2x100 back
    - 2x100 Fast (1:03, 1:02)
    - 2x100 back
    - 4x50 Fast (:31, :30, :29, :27)
    - 2x100 back
    Main Set 2 (400)
    - 4x with fins: 50 (<:27 on all) Fast 50 kick ez on 1:30/100
    Cool down (300)
    - 300 ez

My shoulders and arms were sore this morning, but the only thing I did hard yesterday was kick and I took Saturday off. I guess holding a kickboard is harder than I thought.

I really really feel slow sprint wise, as it is difficult for me to crack 30 on a 50 and almost impossible to crack 1:00 on a 100. I think I need to do more fast 50s.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Mon May 03rd 2010 kick set with UT women today

by , May 3rd, 2010 at 01:18 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon May 03rd 2010

swam on Saturday at Dick Nichols
    with Jon, Tyler, Todd & Marcio

lifted weights this morning

Upcoming Travel

Thu May 13 - Sun 16: Grand Canyon, AZ
    (any recs for what to do?)

Sun May 16 - Wed 19: Scottsdale, AZ
    (any recs for what to do in Phoenix, kids are 19 & 20?)

Thu May 20 - Mon 24: Atlanta

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    LCM Main pool & SCY div well
    Kim, Jim & Jackie Coached
    WHITNEY coached
    6:30 - 8:00 dove in 6:33
    swam with Nate tyler, & Mike
    Beside ed & Gretch

wore B70 jammer

Warm UP

MAIN SET

JOINED UT Women for a challenging kick set

15 x 100 LCM kick FAST on 3:00
    Best ave, Dove them all
    on most I did 6 SDKs off the start
    I started out around 1:18
    which kind of surprised me
    did mostly 1:17's then drifted up to 18's,
    did a couple 19's
    then went 1:14.3 on #15
    that was a very challenging set
    did a set like this a few years ago with UT women, think my best was 1:20, I ave around 1:23 or 4
    noticed I my kicks were smaller & I went faster

moved back to diving well

they were doing 150s
    I did 100's & swam down
    then did an easy speed 50 SDK
    went 28

2010 MEETS:

[2010 Short Course National Championships
    Thu May 20 - Sun 23, 2010
    Nats are in 3 weeks & 1 days or 22 DAYS
    time to get fast, strong, skinny, & rested
    Days Till Nats
    FRI 050 BR 100 FL
    SAT 200 IM 050 BK
    SUN 100 IM 050 FR

July 8 - 11, 2010
    Senior Circuit #4
    Austin, TX

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    2010 South Central Long Course
    Southlake, Texas
  16. Monday, 5/3/10

by , May 3rd, 2010 at 12:25 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    18 days to Nationals!
    SCY with Carrie

200 swim alt. 75 free/25 back
    200 IM kick
    200 drill alt. 25 free/25 back working long walls
    200 pull choice
    200 swim alt. 75 back/25 free

swim 8 x 100 on 2:00:
    #1-2 free, hold stroke length (15-16 spl and 1:19Ī)
    #3 free, 1st and last 25 FAST, work on fast breakout on the 1st length and a fast finish on the last one (around 1:20)
    #4-5 back, hold stroke length (17 spl and 1:28, 1:25)
    #6 back, 1st and last 25 FAST, work on fast breakout on the 1st length and a fast finish on the last one around 1:25
    #7-8 IM smooth, make the interval (around 1:30 on both)
    100 easy

kick 8 x 50 on 1:10 w/zoomers:
    #1 & 5 first and last 12.5 fast,
    #3&7 middle 25 fast,
    evens smooth, make interval
    (was doing these around 40. seemed like too much rest)
    100 easy

swim 12 x 25 on 45: odds long kickout and fast breakout; evens sprint in from the flags, mix these up free and back
    (not sure about times on these. because of the glare I couldn't see the clock very well)

swim down 300 easy choice
    --
    Total: 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Felt like %^@$

by , May 3rd, 2010 at 08:42 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Oh well not a particularly good day, still some nausea, lack of energy and all round not great but still managed a workout.

10x100@1:45 Free every 3rd IM
    5x100@1:30 Free kick w/fins
    10x100@:10R Free at pace subtract 1:30 from the time which came out to 13:58 only 1 minute off yuck
    10x50 from Dive 15 meter breakouts the first 3 and last 2 were not to bad everything in the middle just stunck couldn't get my streamline on the start
    300 kick w/fins
    200 free Easy

total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Back in the saddle, or water that is!

by , May 3rd, 2010 at 12:48 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    The ribs are finally starting to come around. They still hurt with deep breathing or pressure but swimming is working out okay this week.
    I'm going to train for the July 10K swim. When the date arrives I will re-assess and decide if I should "go for it" or drop back to the 5K swim.

Today's Nasti Workout:

**500 Freestyle Warm-up
    **7 X 100 Free on 1:45 interval
    **4 X 50 Kick on 1:15
    **6 X 100 Free on 1:40 interval
    **4 X 50 Stroke on 1:15
    **5 X 100 Free on 1:35 interval
    **4 X 50 Kick on 1:15
    **4 X 100 on 1:30 interval
    **4 X 50 Descending 50 Free's on 1:15
    **200 easy cool-down

3,700 scy

I'm off school tomorrow; Flex Day!!!
    I took a personal day on Friday to give an all day SPARK Training for Physical Education Teachers at Huntington College.
    I'm planning to do a 5K swim workout tomorrow, a 5-7K run, and a kettle belle workout.
    I've missed blogging! I started a couple a few different times but they sounded winey so I deleted.
    Hopefully I will be back to regular daily banter!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. 5/2: Solo Kick workout

Lifetime SCM

Warm up
    - 300 swim
    - 100 back
    - 200 kick
    - 100 back
    Main Set
    - 200, 2x100, 4x50 kick hard with board
    - 100 back ez after each repeat
    * Each kick should be faster than half the double distance time
    - went 4:16, 1:58, 1:58, 4x <:54
    Dolphin Kick
    - 4x50 dolphin kick with board
    - 100 back ez after each repeat
    Cool down
    - 200 kick ez
    - 300 swim

That is 3100M, mostly easy. The kicking times weren't that fast, but I was pretty happy with the workout.

I liked my auto adjusting kick set for the auto adjusting part, not the kick part.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Sunday, 5/2/2010

by , May 2nd, 2010 at 10:07 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Went to the Boise Downtown YMCA and did about 1000 of easy swimming and drilling.
    Categories
    Uncategorized