View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. deja vu all over again

Friday night, we here in New Hampshire had a very unwelcome flashback to the ice storm of Dec 2008 when a near-hurricane force storm blew through New England, toppling trees, power wires, flooding roads, and generally creating a damn nuisance.

I'd just gotten home from my Thursday night workout, driving through town at 9:00 PM in wind and driving rain so fierce I thought my car would blow off the road. Scurried around the house taking care of business as long as we had electricity--which wasn't for long.

At about 11 PM, in the height of the gale, the power went out. My sister and brother-in-law struggled to get the new generator up and running (thanks, Mom!) in order to keep our basement pumps running. We were taking on water so quickly it was making a high-pitched, cricket-like chirping as the water forced its way through the foundation. With the generator running, we could at least keep our pumps going. My sister had the unenviable task of trying to find a way out of our neighborhood at about 3 AM to find a working gas station and get our gas canisters refilled.

By about 6 AM, the cellar was nearly dry and the sun was coming out. Glory be! I drove around to scope out the situation, finding that blessedly, some parts of town still had power. Amazing, the utility crews were on the scene almost right away, and by later that afternoon, we had power back. The club where I swim was not so lucky, and they were shut down all day Friday and all day yesterday, with some fairly massive trees down in the road.

Incredibly, they were back in business today, and I was able to get 2300 yds in before general exhaustion took its toll. Still, we're doing better here than in many other parts of the state, where power has yet to be restored.

My swimming total for February is 16.82 miles. Woo-hoo! Not a bad total for the dead of winter.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Quick Dryland Workout

by , February 28th, 2010 at 06:45 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    A little bit down after deciding to give up the tris, but got down to the weight room this afternoon. Have decided to sell just my tri-bike which the bike shop will be putting on ebay. I'll give more details when it is posted in the event anybody wants to buy a Cervelo P2K.

Here is the workout I did today:

5 min run on treadmill

Military press: warm-up set at 10 x 12, 2 sets of 40 x 12

Assisted pull-ups: 2 sets of 12 with 50 pound assist

Leg press: warm-up set at 130 x 12, 2 sets of 170 x 12

Bicycles: 1 set of 100

Good morning darlings: 1 set of 50

Leg raises: 2 sets of 25

Torso twists: 2 sets of 30
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. sleepy sunday

by , February 28th, 2010 at 06:23 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    The "Big Splash" party was a success!
    I did pretty well in the hoola hoop contest (one of my random talents) but pulled myself out of the Limbo Contest after 2 rounds. The thought occurred to me that a person in their 50's could seriously hurt their back doing this; it didn't seem worth it!
    The food and libations were good too! Fun times for sure!
    I suffered with insomnia after the party. I think the 2 Mai Tai's caused it. I didn't want to take a Lunesta due to having the drinks so I just didn't sleep last night. I'm looking forward to beddie-bye tonight!
    Morning Nasti Practice at Noblesville HS. Here's the workout:

**500 Freestyle Warm-up Swim
    **5 X 200 on 3:30
    **4 x 50 flutter kick w/board on 1:00
    5 X 150 on 2:30 (odds free, evens backstroke)
    **4 x 50 dolphin kick on back
    **5 X 100 on 2:00 ( odds back, evens free)
    **ez 50 cooldown
    3200 scy

My son who goes to college in Chicago was home for the week-end (his Dad's Birthday). Rob, oldest daughter and I hung out a bit this afternoon. It was good to see 2 of them at once! I didn't know he was coming; it was a nice surprise!
    I guess I'll go do some AB Ripper now that things have simmered down around here a bit!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Swim w/Team, Sun., Feb. 28

by , February 28th, 2010 at 06:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY @ GMU w/team:

Warm up:

No idea what the actual warm up was, though it looked quite lengthy, as I arrived late. My alarm was set accurately, but somewhere I lost another 20-25 minutes snoozing. So I only had about 15-20 minutes to make coffee and book out the door. This is really not ideal for me. My body needs a little time to wake up. Ate a banana and smart water on the way.

I did my usual 700 various for warm up

Kick Set:

6 x 125 kick @ 2:20, no fins
    assigned: 3rd 25 fast, 5th 25 no free
    I went backstroke, mod pace. I wasn't ready to go "fast" yet. Some folks used fins, and I still beat them. Not too much use in kicking slowly with fins ... 2 cents.

50 EZ

Aerobic Stroke Set:

3 rounds of:

250 @ 4:00
    150 back @ 2:30
    50 stroke fast @ 1:30

round 1 = back w/6 SDKs each 25
    round 2 = fly w/6 SDKs each 25
    round 3 = breast (with an extra 30 seconds on the 250), 2 UW pulls each length

There were no backstroke flags set up after the pool being reconfigured for the Conference Champs. This makes back a bit of a challenge for a non stroke counter. I was in the end lane, so I used a speaker to help sight.

The hypoxic work was tough for most of my teammates. I did this set with fins (sore shoulders, and twingey right shoulder ). 6 SDKs every length with fins is somewhat taxing as well; I think it translates to about 10 regular kicks. I didn't do the 250 fly, no way. I just did dolphin kick on my back. In fact, I lost count and did a 300 on that one. Still easily made the interval. I had to do a couple 1 arm pulls on the fast 50 fly and forgot Fortina on the fast 50 back. Fast 50s (maybe 90%) = 26, 26, 31.

50 EZ

Speed Set:

4 x (3 x 25) w/fins @ :40
    1 = kick
    2 = UW
    3 = fast swim

My caustic lane mate gave me sh*t for using fins on the previous set (as he always does), so I humored him and did these all back shooters with no fins as "penance." lol (What he doesn't know is that a :40 interval is not really any sort of penance. )

100 EZ

Additional Drill Set:

10 x 50 russian breast drill @ 1:00

50 EZ

Total: 3800

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I was pretty tuckered out after that. I think yesterday's weights (followed by power yoga) hit me hard today. I'm not at all used to those upper body weights or leg press since I shifted my training regimen. I was sort of reminded of how I used to feel when I started lifting in earnest after Austin 2008. I went to a matinee with Mr. Fort and then came home and zoned on the couch without moving for an hour. Will now summon up the strength to make a cassoulet with some damn root veggies.

There was a hysterical article in today's Post by George Will. I'll have to try to find the link later.

Updated February 28th, 2010 at 08:01 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Meet Report: Day 2

by , February 28th, 2010 at 04:45 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Day 2 of this meet was a sprint pentathlon, with a 50 of each stroke, plus a 100 IM order drawn from a hat. The IM order was breast, fly, back, free. This worked well for me, since that is weakest to strongest.

There were about only 3 heats of girls and 3 heats of guys for each event, with 3 breaks during the meet trying to slow things down. It really was an LT set.

50 Fly: 27.6 (Lazy Wife was too lazy to get the hundredths)
    50 Back: 30.8
    100 IM: br fl bk fr 1:03.57
    50 Breast: 35.28
    50 Free: 23.96

Here are my converted time from the LCM meet this summer where I swam all the 50s. Over the summer I wasn't training mixed stroke at all, and for the last 3 weeks I have doing a lot of IM work. There is quite a difference in times.

50 Fly: 29.63
    50 Back: 30.83
    50 Breast: 38.06
    50 Free*: 24.20

* The free time was from a USAS meet in November.

I am pretty happy with all those times. Rich was in the lane next to me for both the back and the free, and I think that really helped get me psyched up to swim the 50 free at the end of the meet. That is my fastest 50 free as a master.

Rich beat me (badly) in the free, but I beat him in the back. LW said I beat Eney in the breast, but I honestly didn't even notice who was in my heat in the breast. I was very focused on trying to remember how to swim breast

Critiques from LW:

My fly looks good, as long as I don't breath. She told me this after the 50 fly, so I tried not to breath during the 100 IM, had to sneak one in, and she said I pretty much stopped. Learning to breath is going to take some full stroke fly training

Back: (My commentary based on times, hers on technique) My underwater dolphin needs work. I had no underwater this summer, and I had decent underwaters today, but the times were about the same. The stroke looked good but the first 25 was at a 200 pace, after the flip turn I turned it on and the tempo was much better.

Breaststroke, my head isn't still. During the warm up she pointed out that my head wasn't going into streamline, but my stroke looked much better then she remembered. During my IM, I got my head down into a decent streamline, but my head came up too much when breathing (too vertical). Need to keep my eyes down. During the 50 things were a little better but my head was not still, it bobbed up and down too much.

Popped up on the free immediately.

I love 50s, this was a fun fun meet. No video, we took the camera but the battery was dead.

It was a good meet for me.

Smart water: Smart water was on sale, so I bought some to take to the meet, along with some balance bars and Gatorade. I ended up drinking 2 bottles of smart water yesterday when I would have normally drank plain water during the meet. I felt much better this morning than I usually do post meet, so smart water is a keeper for meets as far as I am concerned.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Back in the Apple

I had an easy trip back to NYC—I think I spent a total of about 10 minutes in the Atlanta airport, which has to be a PR. There’s scant evidence here of the snowstorms that hit the city on Thursday and Friday—the sidewalks are surprisingly clear, and it’s easy to get around. It feels good to be home.

I walked over to swim practice this morning at John Jay college. It was crowded—we were 6 in my lane—but full of good energy and camaraderie. Here’s the workout we did:

600 scy warmup

8 x 50 @ 1:05 : FL/BK, BK/BR, BR/FR, FR/FL twice through

2 x 50 @ :45
    2 x 75 @ 1:15
    :30 rest
    2 x 100 @ 1:30
    2 x 125 @ 1:55
    :40 rest
    2 x 150 @ 2:15
    2 x 200 @ 3:00
    :50 rest
    2 x 250 @ 3:45
    2 x 300 @ 4:30
    [On this long set I did a mixture of FR and BK. There were 2 swimmers swimming heels-to-head-together ahead of me, and 3 others who swam pretty clumped up a ways behind me. I switched up strokes as necessary to stay in that sweet spot in between the two groups.]

50 easy

4 x 50 Kick @ 1:05

12 x 75 @ 1:20: 1st 4 FL/BK/BR, 2nd 4 BK/BR/FL, 3rd 4 BR/FL/BK [I kicked all but the BR on the first 8 of these, and all of the last 4]

200 warmdown

Today was my first day back circle swimming after a month of having my own lane most days down in Florida. It worked out well, and I was reminded of the advantages of swimming with so many others—having frequent coached practices, workout mates who are pretty exactly my speed, and the whole esprit de lane thing of encouraging each other on (and occasionally whining about the set). There’s also the fact that up here there are local meets, whereas my swim buddies in Florida generally have to travel overnight to compete. There are 3 nearby one-day meets coming up over the next 6 weeks, and I’m planning on swimming them all—on March 7, March 21, and April 11. At the first one I’m swimming 100 FR, 50 FL, 50 BK, and 50 FR. I’m still figuring out what I”ll do at the other two.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout 3/01/2010

by , February 28th, 2010 at 02:13 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:30
    2 X 100 1:30
    1 X 200 3:00
    2 X 75 1:15
    4 X 50 :45
    8 X 25*fast* :30

1 X 200 kick 4:30
    6 X 25 kick*fast* :45
    Complete the set twice.

1 X 100 free/moderate 2:00
    4 X 50 descend 1-4 1:00
    Three rounds.
    Round 1: 50's fly, round 2 back, round 3 breast

1 X 100 easy 2:00
    2 X 25 sprint :45
    1 X 50 sprint 1:00
    1 X 100 fast -
    1 X 50 easy -
    Fast swims are choice, easy free.

2 X 100 moderate 1:30
    1 X 200 fast 3:30
    2 X 100 mod 1:30
    1 X 300 fast 5:00
    2 X 100 mod 1:30
    1 X 400 fast -
    Free

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5400Y
    1 X 200 fast
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Meet Report: 2010 Republic of Texas World SCY Championships

by , February 27th, 2010 at 07:21 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Warning: Lots of info about what went on at the meet. My results at the end (so you probably want to skip the end?).

Unlike the last meet, that really is the name of the meet. Bobby Patten (DAM head coach, meet organizer) is a goof ball, I am really starting to like the guy, and I am sure he is responsible for the name of the meet.

I have swam 14 workouts for a total of 45,128 yards (I train a mix of SCM and SCY) for this meet since not being able to swim because of my bruised ribs (able to swim normally 20 days ago).

This was not enough. Maybe it would have been if each practice became a horse race.

The meet, performance wise, was decent/expected. I learned a lot about my conditioning.

My races today were the 100 free, 50 free and 200 free. Immediately after the 100 free was a 10 minute break, and I was somehow in the last heat of the 100 free. After swimming the 100 free, while swimming during the break I felt so bad (exhausted), I wanted to scratch the 200, and contemplated scratching the 50 and leaving immediately. After 300 yards, I decided there was no reason to scratch the 50, and the 200 would be something to learn from since I didn't expect to have the endurance for a solid swim.

This meet is fast, so a good number of events between the 100 and the 50 only meant about 45 minutes of rest counting the 10 minute break.

Michael Mann (the founder of swimlabs) was my timer for the 50 and the 200. Chatted with him a couple minutes before the 200, a very nice guy. I remembered his name, but not why I knew his name. It wasn't until after the meet was over that I remembered he was associated with swimlabs, otherwise I would have quizzed him about swimlabs.

The 50 was ok. Michael told me one time which I was happy with, but the board told me another which I was not. Turns out, if you are in lanes 1, 2, 5, or 6 (6 lane pool), you cannot see your time on the board from the water because the 3M diving board is in the way. I was looking at lane 5 when I was in lane 2.

It is nice to swim the 200 without being worried about the time, but it still hurts. And it really hurt.

The highlight of the meet was hopping out of the water and Rich Abrahams standing in front of me, waiting to introduce himself to me. I was grinning ear to ear. The backstory is funny. Michelle Chow (the spinning hello kitty icon) and Rich are in the stands talking during the 200s, and Michelle tells him I (qbrain) am at the meet. Rich responds "I will introduce myself to him after his 200, he will be good and tired then." No kidding, I could shake his hand, nod my head and smile, but if I said 5 words I would be surprised. Honestly, anyone from the forums should expect about as much even if I am fresh. I type better than I speak.

Almost forgot, Eney Jones was in the lane next to me for the 200 free. She's cute, I went out with her, but she dumped me after the first lap. Like so many women in my life, that was all I saw of Eney during the meet.

After the meet was a lecture by Gary Hall Sr. on the 3 types of drag, but someone asked Rich to give a 5 to 10 minute talk on his dry land program first. I owe whoever thought to request that a beer, and Rich a protein shake. Rich turns 65 soon, and I would like to be in as good of shape as he is. 65 with a six pack. 32 with a 3 pack. Nope, not jealous at all.

I won't go into details, it was only a five minute talk, but his dryland program is much like Fort's, made up as they (he has a workout partner) go, trying to keep it different and keep them challenged. He works out 1-2 times a week, doesn't do traditional weight lifting, prefers body weight exercises, but uses weights to make new exercises. So he doesn't do bench press, but he doesn't have any problem using stuff from the free weight area in his program.

Someone also asked what his water program was like. Simple, he expects to be sore after weights, so he does 1-2 days of recovery/aerobic, then 2 days of easy speed, and, if he is training for a target meet, a day of lactic threshold. I am pretty sure he has posted more details about his training in the forums.

If you look in the forums, Gary Hall Sr. has posted information he covered in his lecture today. The benefit of seeing him in person is that you can see his arms, which was very helpful to me.

Since I did this meet last year, and I consider the SMU pools (LCM and SCY) to be the 2 crappiest pools I swim at, I am including last years results. Also worth noting is that last year, I trained with a different team and different coach who gave us USAS workouts that we did as much as we could in 75 minutes. The current team's workouts are much easier.

In order of event
    Last year
    100 Free: 54.22
    050 Free: 25.30
    200 Free: 2:04.54

This year
    100 Free: 55.00
    050 Free: 24.57
    200 Free: 2:05.79

2009 bests (all from deep pools at USAS meets)
    100 Free: 53.42
    050 Free: 24.20
    200 Free: 2:00.82

My 100 splits
    26.38 28.62

200 splits
    28.70 31.33 33.06 32.70

I was telling Michael Mann that the 200 is a beginning of the meet event, not an end of the meet event and I had about a fast 50 left in me. That 200 hurt just as much as the splits indicate.

Tomorrow will be fun. It is an LT set, 50 fly, 50 back, 100 IM, 50 breast, 50 free. There are only about 60 people entered tomorrow, so maybe 90 minutes for the meet?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Drylands + Yogas, Sat., Feb. 27

by , February 27th, 2010 at 04:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Gym w/Mini:

twisting squat swings w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    rotating squats swings w/20 lb DB, 2 x 15
    goblet squats, 65 x 2 x 15
    squat X Press, 40 (DBs) x 2 x 15
    leg press, 410 x 2 x 10
    Icarian incline lever pull, 80(?) x 2 x 15
    bench press, 70 x 2 x 10
    HS hi row, 130 x 1 x 10, 150 x 1 x 10
    lying overhead tricep extension, 50 x 2 x 15
    single arm lat pulldown, 50 x 2 x 10, each arm
    total ab machine, 100 x 2 x 25, 120 x 1 x 25
    back extensions, 10 x 2 x 25
    elevated knee-ins w/10 lb DB held by feet, 2 x 15
    elevated push ups, 1 x 15 (forgot other set)
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50

external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    seated straight arm dip, 50 x 2 x 25
    tricep kick backs, 7.5 2 x 15

P90X Yoga, 60 minutes:

I did 60 minutes of the 90 minute DVD. My legs were burning on the balancing postures after all the dryland leg work. My 9 year old daughter did about 20 minutes with me.

Commentary:

It's fun going to the gym with Mini, but she refuses to do any core work. She says she does it all during drylands. So I end up doing a more traditional workout with her. That's one reason I came home and did yoga -- to get some additional core work in. Need to hit the ab wheel tomorrow.

Glad I took the day off yesterday. Felt much better today. Going out to dinner tonight, hoping not to get glutened. Then heading to my team practice tomorrow am. I think it's still on despite the Conference Champs happening there this weekend.
  10. The Bad News is... 2/27/10

by , February 27th, 2010 at 04:33 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    I got a back Spasm Thursday morning. Woke up fine and was in the kitchen getting Tea and felt a sciatic pain start then my lower back tightened right up. I think that this is probably caused by the residual tightness or misalignment of my hip/pelvis from the groin strain...that or too much gluten....you make the call. Then returning to running and such probably caused too much tension and the nerves pinched.

Good news is that it was not a severe one, but enough that I took a precautionary day off of work. I watched "The Fellowship of the Ring" which is a long movie and takes your mind off of lying on the floor...although when I walked I did hobble about like Gollum.

I got in to PT and had a some treatment, which seemed to work and I was feeling way better yesterday afternoon.. So much better in fact, that I attempted to fix the blocked u-bend on not one, but TWO sinks at the Stud domicile. Bad move because I spasmed again. However a quick lie down and stretch seemed to remove most of the discomfort.

So I went for a swim today and did some long 500's to work out the spasm...long swims with rotation seem to naturally massage the hips and low back into good alignment or at least it helps me.

Here's the swim:
    Main Set
    12 x 500 9:00
    4 through:
    Swim
    Pull (paddles and fins)
    Kick (board, snorkel and fins) recovery.
    The Kicks were relaxing as I could just let my neck straighten out and stretch, while using a gentle kick so as not to aggravate the low back.
    Cool Down
    200 Swim (paddles, fins and snorkel)
    200 Swim (paddles, and fins)
    150 Swim (fins)
    3 x 50 1:00 no gear.

There was also a random 50 in there where I forgot my paddles on a pull set so I started over.

6750 2hrs 5mins

If you're curious...I needed 6700 to make 50 miles on GTD by Feb....I wasn't letting my back win.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Saturday's Swimming

by , February 27th, 2010 at 04:28 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    7:00 a.m. with my buds at the Monon Center. I'm not sure of the intervals on some of these sets, I only know I didn't get much rest in between swims. I really like this group; we get a really good workout and we're all about the same age!
    **500 Freestyle warm-up swim
    **3 X (300 Free/ 200 Pull/ 2 x 100 Free)
    **400 mixed kick with fins
    **6 X 50 Free on :50
    **4 X (4 x 75 alternate sets Free/Stroke) Free on 1:15, Stroke on 1:30.
    4,500 SCY

I hopped out of the water and hurried off to the beauty shop for a haircut. I shortened it up a bit! I bought a new hairbrush; yesterday's lost brush never did turn up.
    I've worked most of the rest of the day on my SPARK presentation. Next Friday is my all day presentation/seminar. I haven't done one for a year. I need to update my power-point and organize my thoughts.
    Tonight's the "Big Splash" party! The theme is "Life Is A Beach". Sounds like fun times to me!!

Updated February 27th, 2010 at 04:32 PM by Bobinator (spell)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. One of my favorite moves - The Torso Twist

by , February 27th, 2010 at 02:47 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Did some torso twists at the gym yesterday and have to say my lower back is feeling great today. This is such an easy movement, but I forget how great it is sometimes for loosening up the lower back. I learned this exercise one day while at the White Oak (MD) Nautilus when I was 16.

Some call this the broomstick twist or standing torso twist. To keep it short, I just call them torso twists. Whatever you call it, always be sure you use a stick of some sort, a broomstick or a bar.

For anybody that wants to know, here is how it is done:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YWzWEkLUlE"]YouTube- Standing Torso Twists by www.building-muscle101.com[/ame]

Lots of things to do today, so no plans to work out. With snow looming in the forecast for Tuesday, it looks like I may need to grab a group swim tomorrow.

Updated February 27th, 2010 at 03:12 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. It was a dark and stormy morning...

by , February 27th, 2010 at 11:38 AM (FREEDom)
    The rain fell in torrents.. except when it didn't, when it was check by violent gusts of wind which swept up the pool (for it is in Tampa that our scene lies). rattling along the lane lines and turn flags, and fiercely agitating the hardy swimmers that struggled mightily against the storm.

Tampa today 50F and raining... Vancouver, BC, 46F. I think we can host the Winter Olympics here.

The water was nice. But getting out was miserable... cold rain, about 46F. My feet were numb by the time I got to the locker room. Time get some new flip-flops since my old ones blew out a couple of months ago. Warm shower felt great afterwards.

Warm up
    400 300 200 100

16 x 25 on :30 dr/sw by 25, IMO

5 x 200 on 2:30 fr swim w/ paddles
    200 easy

8 x 125 on 2:05 25 fr, 100 IM or choice (ba)

6 x 100 on 1:45 kick w/ fins

5 x 75 on 1:05 free swim
    5 x 75 on 1:20 non-free

300 warm down

Worked the 200s pretty good 2:10 > 2:08.

Glad I got this workout in. It is so easy to blow it off on bad weather days... as if I don't want to get wet. But once I get going, its fine. I know most of us have this block about swimming when its raining for some reason, as we all like it nice and sunny. We will have plenty of that... I can't wait. But in the mean time, the water is nice.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. 02-26-2010 Aquasol Rain workout

by , February 27th, 2010 at 12:26 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol - Heavy Rain

Coaches soaked...

Warm - 50FR, 2x100, 100BK, 100BR
    6x100FR on 1:30
    5x50 SDK - BK n/fins on 1:15
    3x50 IM order Fly/BK, Bk/BR, BR/FR on 1:00
    4x25 Fly on :45
    4x25 BK on :45
    (Seniors and age groupers decided to leave early)
    Cool 100

2050scy

Tonight I wasn't "on it" however my neck pinched nerve (cervical rediculitus) didn't seem to bother me much. I am improving in my fly, back and breast, but seem to be losing my 100FR speed, my 50FR is getting better.
    I admire our coaches, how they stand in the rain and keep the swimmers on task, mostly the kids. Our coach is now divided between the smaller age groupers and us, but it isn't noticeable. We still get a lot of personal attention and little stoke reminders called between intervals.
    If I had the money and time I would have structure built to shelter the starting area from the rain. Also the restrooms need benches and towel hooks. It wouldn't hurt to have a non-slip surface painted in too, I slipped on my foot and rammed my toes into a partition tonight! Maybe I can get some people together to at least build some benches and towel hook rail's!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. A final swim in the sunshine

I spent most of the day driving to my mom’s house in Alabama (where I store my Florida stuff) and lugging said stuff to and from my car. This handy gadgetis my new BFF.

So when I finally got to the pool this afternoon I was pretty tired, and felt mostly like stretching out and just wiggling around in the water. Here’s the teensy workout I did:

1000 warmup

5 x 100 FR -> BK pacmans @ 1:30

500 warmdown / scull / bask

Tomorrow’s a travel day, so probably no swimming. I’m just hoping Delta will get me home without any flight cancellations, or other major drama!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Nutrition Ramblings, Friday, Feb. 26

by , February 26th, 2010 at 06:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I have the blahs today. Jimi believes this is because I am "inside a small [winter] box." I believe it due to the stress of raising girls. In light of the blahs, and partially and uncharacteristically paralyzed by them, I decided to take an off day. And forgive myself in advance for failing to stretch. In fact, after consulting my blog, I see that I haven't had a complete rest day since Feb. 8, so I am probably due. Tomorrow, I will back in the gym with my oldest daughter, who thinks after 2 visits, she already has muscles.

So, instead of discussing swimming or drylands, I will have a nice nutrition ramble.

Food Rules:

I read the next part of the Michael Pollan book.

1. Funny Rules:

"The whiter the bread, the sooner you'll die."

"Eating what stands on one leg is better than eating what stands on two leg which is even better than eating what stands on four legs."

"Avoid food products containing ingredients that a thrd grader cannot pronounce."

"Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper." (I've heard this one before. Epic fail for me.)

P90X also urges eating nothing 3 hours before sleeping. Here is their advice:

"Here at Beachbody, we're always drilling the "no eating for 3 hours before bedtime" rule into your head and, sure enough, it's important not to go to bed with undigested food in your stomach, especially carbohydrates and fat. So what about those nights when you're so hungry that if you don't eat, you know it will affect your sleep?

The answer is a protein shake. Usually, truly feeling hungry is a sign indicating a lot of muscle breakdown. When you have muscle breakdown you need protein, especially at night, which is when your muscles do most of their recovering. So if you are famished, a small protein shake with no added ingredients, like fruit or milk, will not only allow you to sleep but speed up your recovery process as well."

2. Fav Rules:

"Eat some foods that have been predigested by bacteria or fungi."

-- This is why I've begun taking probiotics. They help reduce allergic reactions, aid the function of the digestive and immune system and reduce inflammation.

"Have a glass of wine at dinner."

--"There is now considerable scientific benefits of alcohol ... People who drink moderately and regularly live longer and suffer considerably less heart disease than teetotalers ... Drinking some every day is better than drinking a lot of weekends."

3. Rule I'm ambivalent about:

"Be the kind of person who taken supplements and then skip the supplements"

Apparently, people who take supplements are healthier than those that don't, but not necessarily b/c of the supplements. However, he does note that nutrition becomes more important as you age and that you can develop specific nutritional deficiencies -- Vitamin D, Calcium, Vitamin B. Also, as we age, our need for antioxidants increases while our ability to absorb them declines. Since I've started with my supplement & antioxidant infused smoothies, I've been healthier. So I'm sticking with it, just like Geek.

WSJ Article:

There was an interesting article in the WSJ on Tuesday about evolution being responsible for obesity. Apparently, when we shifted from being hunter and gathers to agriculture, a carb rich diet became the norm and we grew tubbier.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...obesity+darwin

Some interesting speculation about procreating early and often being the driver of evolutionary change as well ...

And, boo hoo, Gatorade dropped Tiger Woods.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...NewsCollection. There was a hilarious article about him in www.theonion.com -- not really re-printable here. lol

Meets:

I've been uncharacteristically wishy washy about meets as well. I had finally decided to swim the 100 evil and 100 IM or 50 back at the Warrenton meet, and now I see it's the same weekend as PV Senior Champs.

Night Owl vs. Early Bird:

An interesting study to confirm we're different!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0623150621.htm

Updated February 26th, 2010 at 10:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Resumed Dryland

by , February 26th, 2010 at 05:40 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Back in the weight room today after being out for 4 weeks. Have to confess that I like being in the weight room as much as I like being in the pool. It's also a time where I can visit with some of my non-swimmer friends.

Warmed up with a 1 mile run at a 10 minute pace.

Bench press: 3 sets of 65 x 12 (forgot to do the needed warm-up set with just the bar)

Lat hi row: 3 sets of 100 x 12

Leg press: 3 sets of 130 x 12

Bicycles: 1 set of 50

Good morning darlings: 1 set of 50

Torso twists (also called broomstick twists): 3 sets of 30

Toe raises: 3 sets of 10

One of the yoga instructors told me that torso twists are really good for sacroiliac problems. He has problems from an accident he had as a child and says if he goes a day without yoga, his lower back gets really stiff. Wish I had more time to do more yoga. Maybe I can work it in somehow. I do think that no matter what, I've got to do some kind of activity everyday, even if it is just some torso twists.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Fry, Willy! -- Jim's Week in Review

by , February 26th, 2010 at 04:48 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Swam in with the my team today

by , February 26th, 2010 at 04:03 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Since the kids have states this weekend our pool was closed to the public but the older kids and masters were allowed to swim early.

500 Free
    400 IM drill
    300 Free Pull
    200 Kick
    100 Free

8x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & fins
    200 free finger tip drag

8x50@1:00 2 of each stroke
    200 Free catchup

20x25@:30 5 of each stroke

Total 3600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -02/27/10

by , February 26th, 2010 at 01:21 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    1 X 400 6:00
    4 X 50 1:00
    1 X 300 4:30
    4 X 50 :50
    4 X 50 :45

1 X 200 kick 4:30
    2 X 100 kick 2:15
    4 X 50 kick*25 fast/25 easy* 1:15

9 X 50 1:05