View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. HEADACHE Free Friday

by , March 26th, 2010 at 08:34 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    This morning's swim was at the Monon Center Solo at 5:45 a.m. I did a smooth 600 freestyle warm-up followed by 800 of easy stretching sets of 200. I felt good and wished I could swim more this morning. That's probably a good sign with a meet coming up Saturday and Sunday.

What about those Butler Bulldogs! It goes to show that solid, basic fundamentals can sometimes win over razzle-dazzle and speed!!!
    I wish I had a Butler Bulldog tee shirt!

I'm happy today is Friday! This week flew by! Next week is short (Mon-Thurs) then it's spring break time!!!!

Have a great Friday!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Picture Perfect

by , March 26th, 2010 at 08:20 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today I was helping one of the swimmers take some pictures for a web site she was building in her computer class. So not much swimming, but then again I have a meet this weekend.

5x200@3:30 Free
    500 free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    500 fly w/fins some kick and some one arm fly to loosen my back
    4x50 from block coach Walt was analysing my starts and I think I have it figured out now
    300 Free easy

Total 2500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Thursday

by , March 25th, 2010 at 08:28 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I had a head-ache today. I didn't even get a break long enough to take Advil so..... I just suffered through it and tried to act happy.
    Immediately after school I reported for my Grasston and Chiropractor work. I left there feeling beaten up.
    It's cold, rainy, and dark out here. When time to leave for swimming rolled around I bailed. I only wanted to swim 1,500 yards or so with the big meet this week-end so I guess I'll get up tomorrow morning @ 5:00 a.m. and do it.
    Meanwhile the fabulous Butler Bulldogs vs Syracuse game came on tv. Go Bulldogs! Butler had an excellent 1st half but now it looks like Syracuse is starting their rally.

Here's a link to "Women and Physical Exercise?
    /Training" article I saw on a blog today. I don't know alot about weight training (Jimby vs Fort) but I do believe intensity is highly under-rated for its health and fitness benefits. Check it out if you are interested.Hubbardtrainingsystems.blogspot.com

Tomorrow will be a better day......I hope.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. tune up 3/25/10

by , March 25th, 2010 at 08:17 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Swam a 500 today did it in 7:12; pretty fast for me. I ought to do this for real at a meet sometime.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Thursday, March 25

by , March 25th, 2010 at 07:48 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Yesterday, took the 7 month old puppy out on the cotton fields and did a 3 mile walk with a few run sprints of 100 yards or so thrown in. The pup slept well last night!

Today, went to the older kids' workout. We did a ton of different fly and free drills of different distances, so I can't even remember all we did. All I can remember is that I got in about 3200.

There was one set we did which made me realize I need to add in a little more running - 10 x 50 flutter kick on :55 (no fins). My flutter kick always feels better when I've been running more often. I think it has something to do with the body comp and more lean muscle in my legs.

On the forum there has been a thread going about running as cross-training for swimming. I mainly run because I like it and like to enter 5ks every once in a while. I can't say I use it to cross-train for swimming. I just like to do both.

I don't think lots of long distance running will help swimming, especially the sprints. As my fitness/weights guru friend has told me, distance running tears the legs down instead of building them up. rtodd on the forum mentioned 100s, 200s, and 400s. I like these as I think they keep the nerves in my legs sharp.

I also think like pwb said in that these running sprints are good for working on explosiveness. Fort suggested squats and jumps as helping explosiveness instead of track work. I agree that these things are great as well. I don't use squats for power due to some lower back issues. I mainly do the squat exercise with the bar or maybe some really light weights as rehab for my lower back. If I could, I definitely would do them. The jumps are fun, but I find them more jarring on my knees than running sprints. Also, I like to get out of the weight room and outside on the track. It is just a personal preference for me.

In the end, I'm having fun doing both and for me, that's where it's at.

Updated March 25th, 2010 at 08:22 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Gym + Swim, March 25

by , March 25th, 2010 at 04:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

broomstick twists, 1 x 25
    squat swings w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    cable twist with yoga ball, 50 x 2 x 15, each side
    alternating twisting lunges w/15 lb DB, 2 x 15
    one legged squats, 25 x 1 x 15, each leg
    box jumps (18" box), 2 x 10
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25

Then I did some new core exercises that I hadn't tried before:

New Core:

1. straight arm plank w/feet on yoga ball, 2 x 1:00 (this would be harder if you also put your hands on a med ball)

2. plank row w/20 lb DBs (described this core stabilization exercise yesterday), 2 x 25

3. wall squat against yoga ball w/10 lb med ball on thighs, 2 x 1:00 (definitely harder this way!)

4. balancing plank: put feet on bosu and hands on 10 lb med ball, balance, move right foot to right side 5 x and left foot to left side 5 x. Do not stick ass in air; keep body straight. I did 4 x 10. This is a difficult core exercise; I had to practice a little before I could do it half decently. Fell over a couple times. lol

5. med ball push ups, 2 x 10
    I did the tricep push up on the med ball and moved side to side. Really hard for me; I guess I'm not that used to push ups. I'd like to try this plyometric push up sometime: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x23VTqeYVc"]YouTube- STX How To Plyometric push up with medicine ball for explosive power[/ame].

6. standing chop w/bar: for this exercise, I grabbed the 45 lb bar and put one end of it in the bottom corner between 2 walls. I grasped the other end of the bar with 2 hands above my head -- almost like you were planting a pole vault pole. Then, holding the bar, I chopped downward to the left below the knee, came back up to vertical and chopped downward to the right. 2 x 25. I liked this one!

RC work:

internal and external rotators, 10 x 2 x 5, each arm
    med ball on wall, 2 x 25
    prone scapular scrunches, 5 x 2 x 25
    seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Drove straight to the pool eating a banana and energy bar and did:

Warm up:

700 various

8 x 50
    25 shooter, no fins + 25 scull

Main set:

This set (may have gotten a version from J. Miller) alternates pace 50s with fast 25s. I did the 4 x 50s as 1 x 50 EZ + 3 x 50 russian breast drill, no pullouts @ 200 pace (went 33-34s). This was a pretty hard set.

4 x 50 @ 1:00
    :30 extra rest
    1 x 25 fast @ :30 (free)
    2 x 25 fast @ :30 (free)
    3 x 25 fast @ :30 (flutter kick w/board)
    4 x 25 fast @ :30 (IM)
    5 x 25 fast (flutter kick w/board)

100 EZ

Vertical Kicking:

5 x 1:00
    odds = evils
    evens = dolphin, hands at side

50 EZ

Total: 2825 + VK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I'm pretty sore from drylands, which is making my swimming workouts difficult. But it's my first week back to hard training, so this is probably to be expected. I may actually put some biofreeze on my upper back and shoulders.

Need to stop being lazy and enter some meets. I have this habit of waiting until the last minute.

I mentioned on the "Cross Training with Running" thread that I may learn to row this summer for some aerobic cross training. I've never tried it before, so I think I'd need Mr. Fort or FortSon to teach me good technique.

Mini Fort is swimming breast & fly in the South Eastern Sectionals tomorrow. (Happily, her team got the second prelim shift. ) I think this could be her last USS meet.

Article:

Arginine Supplement Good: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0323192329.htm

Updated March 25th, 2010 at 09:57 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  7. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -03/26/10

by , March 25th, 2010 at 02:09 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:20 3:00
    2 X 100 1:40 1:30
    4 X 50 faster :50 :45
    Twice through. Round 1 intervals left, round 2 right.

1 X 200 kick 4:30
    4 X 50 kick 1:00

6 X 25 kick*fast* :45

1 X 100 easy swim

4 X 100 free 2:00
    #1 25 fast/75 easy
    #2 50 fast/50 easy
    #3 75 fast/25 easy
    #4 100 fast

2 X 100 2:00
    swim down

4 X 100 best stroke 2:15
    swim same as above set

swim down

5 X 50
    From the blocks, 25 sprint and turn, easy in.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

3500Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Thursday, 3/25/10

by , March 25th, 2010 at 02:02 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

400 swim alt. 75 free/25 no free (mix up the no free)
    (still focused on spl holding 16 on free and back, on the 4th 25 did back-breast-back-fly)
    400 kick choice w/fins (board optional)
    (did 200 free kick with board, 200 dolphin on back)
    400 pull free breathe every 3 and hold the stroke count at 15
    (actually kept at 14 throughout)

swim 8 x 50 free on 1:00: hold stroke count, target time 38-39.
    (time jumped between 37 and 39 and held spl at 16)
    100 easy choice

swim 8 x 50 back on 1:00: hold stroke count, target time 41-42.
    (kept these at 41-42 and held spl at 16)
    100 easy choice

swim 16 x 25 on :40, 4 of each stroke, IM order (ie do 4 fly, 4 back, 4 br, 4 free). Descend 1-4 on each stroke.
    (16 on fly, not sure about back, but I think it was under 18, breast at 24 free at 14)

swim down 200
    --
    Total: 2800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Wed Mar 23rd 2010

by , March 25th, 2010 at 09:30 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Mar 23rd 2010

writing you from Orlando,

TODAY I HAD TONS OF FUN

meet this Fri in Orlando
    2010 Dixie Zone Championships
    Fri: 1,650
    Sat: 200 IM, 50 bk, 100 IM
    Sun: 400 IM, 100 bk, 200 bk

MENS NCAA's begin on THU

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Today I did my swim work out at
    Disney's Typhoon Lagoon (TL)
    I coached

TL is an awesome water park, they have the best wave pool I have ever been in
    Today I body surfed.

I got in the TL wave pool, swam out to the rope which is as far as you can go, then I'd wait for a wave to come. They launch one every 90 seconds. When a wave launches you do a short sprint towards the shore,
    catch the wave and ride it to the red line which is a bout 150 feet feet. This regular body surfer joe told me I was supposed to stop at the red line, he said it was some sort of rule.
    I'd drop out of the wave by balling up then swim easy back out to the rope and catch the next one. It was fun dodging people

TL does tidal waves from 10:00 to 11:30
    then rolling waves from 11:30 to noon
    then they alternated 30 min of tidal waves with 30 min of rolling waves

Rolling waves are unsurfable so I'd get out, take a break, get some shade, text, get drinks and food

the park opened at 10:00 and closed at 5:00
    I body surfed every tidal wave there was, had an absolute blast.

Later I dropped by the YMCA and visited with Mel, his wife & daughter. I didn't swim with the team because I did plenty of swimming at TL. I wanna go back again today but I am so sun burned and know should rest up for the meet, plus NCAAs starts and I want to watch it.

2010 MEETS:

Fri Mar 26th - Sun Mar 28
    Orlando, Fl

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX Countdown
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events

Updated March 25th, 2010 at 09:53 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Tue Mar 23rd 2010

by , March 25th, 2010 at 09:06 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Mar 22nd 2010

writing you from Orlando,
    when I got into Orlando, around noon, I dropped my wife off at her conference then went over to the Orlando Pool, ends up the head coach is Mel Nash who coached A&M when I swam for UT he said practice was around 3:30 and I was welcome to swim with his team

meet this Fri in Orlando
    Fri: 1,650
    Sat: 200 IM, 50 bk, 100 IM
    Sun: 400 IM, 100 bk, 200 bk

MENS NCAA's begin on THU

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

YMCA scy, main pool, Blocks
    Mel Nash coached
    3:30 to 5:00

warm up:
    20 min choice

MAIN SET
    don't really remeber all the sets
    one was 8 x 200 IM on 3:10 but 25 fl, 50 bk, 50 br 75 fr

i did around 2500 - 3k then got out and chatted with Mel till practice was over
    we talked mainly about swimming and music
    ends up his dau is a wonderful singer

2010 MEETS:

Fri Mar 26th - Sun Mar 28
    Orlando, Fl

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX Countdown
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Too COOOLLLDDDD

by , March 25th, 2010 at 08:38 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    When I feel like opting for the geriatric pool you know it is cold. Good for the meet this weekend.

5x200@3:30 Free
    500 kick w/fins alt 100 free/fly
    500 free kick w/snorkle & fins rotational kicking
    10x50 free from dive 20 yard sprints so so today
    3x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    200 Free EASY

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. 3/23/10 hour Swim

by , March 24th, 2010 at 04:27 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well I got 2500 done in an hour today took lots of rest...so I don't leave myself low on gas for Friday. IT was something like this but I can't remember exactly after the 10 x 100.

10 x 100 FR 2:00 Got into these and found my self naturally descending from 1:40 to 1:15. It felt good and right.
    4 times though
    50 FR K
    50 BR K
    50 FR P
    50 FR

then 4 times though
    50 BR 1:30
    50 FR 1:30
    6 x 50 EZ 2 catch up. 2 side tap, 2 swim

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Wed., March 24

by , March 24th, 2010 at 04:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Hypoxic Set:

4 x (5 x 25 UW shooters) w/MF @ :30

#1 = belly
    #2 = back
    #3 = right side
    #4 = right side
    #5 = twirling

50 EZ

Drill Set:

I really meant this to be an easy speed swim set, but I had NO easy speed today. My body was in slow mo after it's pummeling at the gym yesterday. So I abandoned what I had planned and did the following in an attempt (perhaps in vain) to avoid garbage yards.

2 x through:

3 x 50 IM order, working turns, @ :50
    2 x 50 evil kick @ 1:00
    1 x 50 scull

MF Aerobic Kick-Swim Set:

Stole and modified a Patrick set from a couple days ago. I mistakenly added an extra round of 100s -- lol.

100 kicks @ 1:15/ 50 evil cruise @ 1:00 (no pullouts, worked on head position and lunge)
    extra :15 seconds rest after the 100s

(I really should have done the 100s on a 1:10 interval, but I was too tuckered out.)

1 x 100 @ 1:15
    2 x 50 @ 1:00
    2 x 100 @ 1:15
    3 x 50 @ 1:00
    3 x 100 @ 1:15 (w/board)
    4 x 100 @ 1:15
    3 x 100 @ 1:15 (w/board)
    3 x 50 @ 1:00
    2 x 100 @ 1:15
    2 x 50 @ 1:00
    1 x 100 @ 1:15

100 EZ

Total: 4450

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Whoa! IN HTFU-ing yesteday, I did a number on my "itty bitty" "all girl" body. Was very sore, especially the upper body. It's so hard to do a quality swim in that condition. In any event, I toughed out this workout. Hopefully, it will have contributed incrementally to some aerobic improvement. I got a little carried away with the last set, which I didn't realize was 2500.

Going to use the stick on the legs tonight. This is genius -- SwimmieAvsFan/Mollie brings the stick to meets. I will definitely do this at my next meet and give the calfs a "massage" between events. Feel like a bit of a bonehead that this did not previously occur to me.

Trying to decide if I should do the April 10 meet. I dislike swimming completely beat up, and don't want to rest. It's also the same morning as a fun run my 9 year is doing. But I guess she could just have some daddy time ...

USMS Mag:

I haven't received my copy of Swimmer yet, but I see Jimi is in full on whine mode about his negative press from our "Both Sides of the Lane Line" articles. One day, he'll come over to the dark side. Being an "old man" doesn't seem very compelling.

Core Stabilization Exercise:

Mr. Fort gave me a new exercise from his trainer. Take 2 dumbbells, get in push up position, except have the DBs touching under your chest. Get in straight arm plank position. Then do a "row" to the chest with one DB. Repeat with the other one. While doing this, do not shift or transfer weight, but instead use your core. Sounds hard to me.

WSJ Article on why core work works:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000..._RecentColumns

TRX:

I am (finally, in my typically uncoached and untrained state) going to see a trainer next week to get some further tips on core training and get trained on the TRX system. Mr. Fort was doing "suspended" planks last week with his feet in the TRX straps. He says it's harder, and that the trainer emphasized the benefits of TRX for swimming.

TRX: http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/?_kk=...Fdlw5QodyB-UzQ

Pre-workout formulas:

http://ow.ly/1quCl

Spring allergies hard to treat:

http://ow.ly/1qpWH

Supplements don't help bone density:

http://doctor.ndtv.com/storypage/ndt...n’s_bones.html

Updated March 24th, 2010 at 09:28 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Hate Jim, Love Leslie

by , March 24th, 2010 at 03:17 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    USMS members in good standing in 2009, who also had the good fortune to receive the November/December edition of Swimmer magazine, may recall the following "Both Sides of the Lane Line" *** for tat column penned by Leslie "the Fortress" Livingston and Dr. Jim "Fake Doctor" Thornton, MD (f), Ph.D. in exercise physiology (f), M.A. in journalism (r), M.F.A.in fiction writing (r), B.S.in zoology (r), and all around great guy (r).

Note: Please do not strain your eyes trying to read the attached .jpg image! I subjected the thing to Optical Character Recognition and will paste the entire text in below.

Now, take a second to familiarize yourselves with yesteryear's arguments before proceeding to the NEARLY UNBELIEVABLE LEVEL OF UNDESERVED HATE MAIL ONE OF US JUST RECEIVED IN THE MOST RECENT ISSUE OF SWIMMER'S LETTERS TO THE EDITOR SECTION!

As promised, here is the text of the above in a more readable format:

Leslie Livingston, 48, is a lawyer and mother of three.

She has numerous USMS and FINA Top 10 rankings and recently set a NR in the 50 back. She is a member Patriot Masters in Fairfax, Va.

BY LESLIE

I’m 48 and getting faster. Eschewing conventional wisdom that swimming faster requires more pool time, I've embarked on an intense strength-training regimen. This regimen has ed to increased propulsive force in the water and significant time drops. None of this is terribly surprising. Lifting creates explosive power, increases sprint speed and improves muscular endurance. It can also improve agility, stability and balance. Lifting, in effect, produces "free speed" — you apply the same swimming technique with stronger muscles, generating faster times. Free speed can't be achieved by swimming alone because swimming simply does not provide sufficient resistance
    Weight lifting is perfect cross training for Masters swimmers. Performing several compound functional lifts for the upper and lower body two to three times per week will suffice. Studies confirm that lifting has an immediate impact for relatively untrained under trained athletes or those who have reached plateaus. These studies are much more probative for Masters swimmers than the short-lived Costill study of elite swimmers that Mr. Thornton is wont to cite.

Unlike aerobic conditioning, strength does not desert us if work or life temporarily thwarts our quest for endorphins. And, unlike swimming alone, lifting combats the aging process by reversing or stymieing the body's natural loss of bone and muscle mass. This should improve flagging times or training slumps. In sum, all swimmers should exploit this powerful potential for improvement. As a former skeptic, I acknowledge that it's easy to avoid the weight room. But, if speed and health are your goal, why wait?

Jim Thornton has 30 individual Top 10 times— "a dozen less than the lovely Leslie, but at least I can still beat my age in the 100 freestyle, and she can't."

BY JIM

I don't like weight lifting. Why pick up something when you don't have to, only to put it down again?

Maybe I'd think differently if dumbbells actually improved swimming performance. Clearly, many muscle-headed Masters and Olympians alike long ago accepted this myth as gospel. Free weights, Nautilus machines, Pilates with Swiss balls, the whole shooting match of self-torture: The buff have snookered themselves into believing these are critical to speed in the water.

I don't believe it because science doesn't support it, a conclusion reached by legendary exercise physiologist and Masters swimmer, David Costill, Ph.D., emeritus professor from Ball State University. "General weight lifting probably has no carry-over to swimming performance," Dr. Costill told me recently. "There's never been a study that supports a benefit, though there have been studies that show it doesn't help."

Still skeptical? Check Medline for additional citations.

As for diehard iron-pumpers who prefer anecdotal evidence to well-designed studies, let me conclude with anecdotal proof of my own.

At LCM nationals in Indy last August, the charming speed demon/debater/ignoramus, Leslie Livingston, swam the 50M butterfly in a PR of 29.74. My own time: 29.55— two-tenths of a second faster, I think we can all agree, is a pretty decisive beat-down.

Leslie will no doubt argue it's only because I'm 6' 1" and, well, male; whereas she is 5' 4" and all girl. Nonsense! I reply. No need to evoke sexism or heightism here. I triumphed for one simple reason: She lifts weights, and I don't.

__________________________________________________ ___

Alrighty then! Here now is the reaction to our respective views, reaction that just hit this month's sizzling edition of Swimmer. Again, no eye straining please! I will reprint the letters' text (with names left out) to show you how three things in our sport are now incontrovertible:

1. Leslie good, Jim bad

2. It is not just Tea Baggers who are easily hoodwinked and unable to understand even the slightest of ironic tones! It appears that more than a few of our swimming ranks suffer "wet brain" syndrome, as well.

3. I do agree with the very final letter about who should be named Time Magazine's Athlete of the Year. I had to read the final paragraph several times to convince myself it was not just some glitch in the OCR software that came bundled with my Brother ALL-in-One printer-copier-fax-scanner-and-time-to-change-my-Depends-diaper-reminding Device!

Thanks, whoever you are, for the vote of confidence!

Weighing In

Usually, I like SWIMMER and look forward to reading it. But, seriously Jim Thornton's article in "Both Sides of the Lane Line" was not only un-progressive, but 110 percent naive. I suggest running an article next month on Dara Torres's strength routine. Do you think Jim Thornton would want to pony up his un-weight-trained body and go up against Dara? Looking forward to something a little less antiquated in Both Sides of the Lane Line.

I found it ironic that your policy "SWIMMER will not accept submissions that include inappropriate language or constitute personal attacks" was listed in "Both Sides of the Lane Line," and "No Weigh," by Jim Thornton, in which he writes "At the LCM nationals in Indy last August, the charming speed demon/debater/ignoramus, Leslie Livingston ..." was an example of a (failure at being humorous?) personal attack (ignoramus) on Leslie Livingston. I enjoy your magazine.

Keep the beautiful glossy covers, as I display them at work, to catch the eye of coworkers who pick it up. Thanks.

I enjoyed the "No Weigh" half of Both Sides of the Lane Line in your November-December issue by Jim Thornton, ostensibly rebutting Leslie Livingston's cogent arguments in favor of focused weight training for swimmers. Its tongue-in-cheek (fin-in-mouth?) flavor provided just the right amount of cleverly disguised but strong support for Leslie's argument, while purporting to argue the opposite - a wonderful Dickensian touch! I particularly liked his "I think we can all agree..." challenge that 0.2 seconds better in the 50M fly is a "decisive beat-down" for weight training. Imagine the scene: big strong man (6'1" male) and little bitty lady (5'4" and "all girl," in Thornton's words) on the starting blocks (you can guess who is stretching and preening). The gun goes off, it's over in a flash, and look! The big strong man only beats the little bitty lady by 0.2 seconds (0.7% of elapsed time)! I'm starting to up my weight training right now - well actually, right after Thanksgiving...

I was hoping to clarify a point made by Jim Thornton in his article "No Weigh!" The comment made about "general weight lifting probably has no carry over to swimming performance" is likely true to a point. General weight training typically involves a circuit of weight machines that in essence were designed for form, not function. A standard circuit workout will isolate a muscle group and make it bigger and/or stronger. These machines are not necessarily going to improve function because the motion of the exercise does not actually replicate any real life activity ... or in this case, swimming movement.

More importantly, Mr. Thornton failed to mention that there was a second group involved in that particular study. The second group involved in the study performed only two exercises: pull-ups and dips using the weight-assisted dip and pull-up machine. These exercises more closely replicate actions used in the swimming movement.

Here are the findings: "However, the weight-assisted dip and pull-up swimmers fared slightly better, compared to the traditional strength trainers. For one thing, they improved their 22.9 metre front crawl sprint time by .3 seconds, from 11.2 to 10.9 seconds, while the traditional people failed to improve."

Joe Nagi (Masters swimmer of English Channel success) once asked me if he should lift weights. He knew the answer when I asked him a few questions:

"Can an old man (or woman) be in as good of shape as a young man?"

"Yes," he said.

"Can an old man have as good of technique?" "Yes," he said.

"So what is the difference between an old man and a young man?"

"Strength," he said.

Why not answer the question about weight training once and for all. Leslie trains with weights throughout the year. Jim only swims At the 2010 LCM Nationals, they go head to head in the 50M fly. Who knows, maybe Dr. Costill can add the results to his study.

People should do Medline or Pubmed (the free version) searches when they have questions about exercise or health. They will find there is scientific evidence that weight training improves swimming speed. In 2007, Girold and friends showed a positive effect of 12 weeks of weight training, swimming and running on swimming speed compared to controls who biked (to keep the dry land training time equal), swam and ran.

In 1993, Tanaka, Costill and friends showed no positive effect on swimming speed compared to controls, but only had the swimmers lift for eight weeks. The evidence I've seen is mixed but implies that weight training needs to be done for longer than eight weeks if it is going to have a transferable effect. Anybody can find full citations and summaries of the articles referred to by going to ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/ and searching on the author names I provide and the word "swimming."

Tiger vs. Val vs. Jim

I was surprised to see that Tiger Woods was named TIME magazine's Athlete of the Decade. Wouldn't it be nice if one of our outstanding Masters swimmers was so named. I would choose Laura Val. She has set U.S. and world records for the last decade. Best of all she is a nice person, and is true to herself and family.

Even better, what about making Jim Thornton Athlete of the Decade? He is not the nicest person in the world but a demonstrably less dedicated philander than Tiger, and he can beat Laura Val every once in a blue moon in certain events. Plus, like Tiger, he has the advantage of being male!

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Wednesday, 3/24/10

by , March 24th, 2010 at 02:02 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

300 swim free
    (16 spl @4:35)
    200 kick free w/board
    (3:42 this is 15+ sec faster than I've been doing recently)
    100 free fist drill
    (18 spl, 1:35)
    200 swim back
    (15-16 spl @3:10)
    100 kick back w/streamline (work on SDK)
    (6 sdk @ 1:56)
    50 back fist drill
    (17-18 spl)

swim 5 x 50 build on 1:00: odds free, evens back
    (free 37± and 16 spl, back 39± and 16 spl)
    50 easy on 1:30

8 x 25 drill on 45:
    #1 right arm single arm fly
    #2 left arm single arm fly
    #3 triple kick fly, work on keeping the kick small and not bending your knees much
    #4 swim fly smooth, work on the kick as above
    #5-6 backstroke w/fist
    #7 back: 6 kicks/3 strokes/6 kicks
    #8 free w/fist

swim 5 x 50 build on 1:00: odds free, evens 25 free/25 fly
    (free like above, free/fly at 38)

swim 6 x 100 on 1:45: odds free, evens back;
    (held spl at 16 on free, 15-16 on back. free went 1:17-1:22-1:21, back went 1:25-1:27-1:23)

swim down 200

Total: 2600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -03/25/10

by , March 24th, 2010 at 01:09 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    Y Nationals start three weeks from today.

SCY

WARM UP:
    1 X 250 3:45
    1 X 150 2:15
    1 X 100 1:30
    Twice through.

8 X 100 free 1:45
    Swim all at 80-90%, #8 @ 100%

swim down pace

3 X 100 kick 2:15
    4 X 50 kick 1:00

8 X 50 1:15
    Swim @80-90%
    Stroke
    IM'ers: 2 of each

swim down pace

8 X 25
    odd: build to race finish
    even: from the blocks, breakout plus three sprint strokes

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

3500Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. 3/24: sNot Bad

I am recovering from Fort's cold, which is apparently contagious through the interwebs. Last Wednesday was the last time I was in the water.

For anyone who missed it, it snowed in Dallas Saturday night. WTF Mate.

Warm up
    - 300 swim
    - 300 kick with fins and board
    - 300 back
    Transition
    - 3x100 IM no rest (300 straight)
    Main Set
    - 13x50 on :40 odds free, evens fast back
    -- got dinged for gliding into the wall on the free. Valid, ez doesn't mean bad habits.

- 150 ez back
    - 200 fast free (2:13)
    - 200 back ez
    - 200 fast free (2:13)
    - 200 back ez
    Bonus Set

- 4x150 free descend on 2:00 (didn't really descend, tired from the 200s)
    Warm Down
    - 200 back down, free back ez

I wonder who else does the bonus sets.

Those 200s free were great times for me. 2:15 is probably the fastest I had been with the new team. 2:10s were the fastest with the old team.

The stroke feels really good and taking six weeks off because of the ribs was probably beneficial.

Now, I really need some consistent practice time, but that sadly won't happen until this summer. Asia trips starts in 2 weeks!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. What a difference a day makes

by , March 24th, 2010 at 07:39 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Yesterday YUCK! Both in the water and out. Was up part of the night with indigestion and bad sinuses. Today YEAH! Much better all around. Again I did starts and this time I could judge how deep I was and when to start my pullout.

10x100@1:45 Free every 3rd back
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    10x50@:05R Back drills w/fins alot of one arm pull work
    10x50 from dive alternate free, back, fly sprint first 20 yards then easy free
    5x100@1:30 as 50 free/50 back w/paddles & bouy holding 1:25's
    5x100@:10R odds free evens back EASY

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Tuesday

by , March 23rd, 2010 at 09:46 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    After school I decided to get a massage. There is a new business in the Indy/Carmel area called "Foot Finesse". (I know it sounds like a pedicure salon) I received 3 gift cards for 1 hour massages during Christmastime and this is the 2nd one I've had. The regular price for a 1 hour massage is $25.00! That is unbelievably cheap! Today I had a male masseuse; the massage was spectacular! I didn't talk to him beforehand; I'm guessing he didn't speak English. It didn't take him long to figure out my shoulders needed work, especially the left one! He relentlessly worked on my left wing. I think I'll be sore tomorrow but better off in the long run. I love a great bargain!

Tonight's swim was with Nasti's! The workout was short and taper-like. We worked on starts toward the end. Our State tee-shirts arrived tonight! They are black with a bright yellow "nasti" looking shark on the front! I think I'll wear it to school tomorrow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Backstroke workout with some evil thrown in

by , March 23rd, 2010 at 09:40 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Got in for part of the older kids' workout today. The coach really checked out my stroke and said that I was hardly kicking off the walls. Not good. She suspected I didn't do this at meets, but was in the habit at practice. Will have to get out of the habit, because in meets, we swim the way we practice.

Warmed up with 4 x 50 fly kick on 1:00

6 x 200 back on 3:00 - even 200s were with paddles

4 x 125 back on 2:00

4 x 125 I.M. on 2:15 - do 50 of your weakest stroke - mine is definitely breaststroke

100 easy

6 x 50 breast on 1:15

8 x 50 back on 1:15 AFAP on first 25 and then easy coming back

Coach suggested getting on side a little for dolphin kick coming off the wall. This feels kind of weird, but tried it. Kind of like my old tried and true dolphin on back.

300 freestyle pull with paddles and pull buoy

100 easy

3600 SCY

Kind of getting excited about swimming 200 back at Nationals. Coach thinks I'd do better at this distance than in the 50 because I tend to have a slower turnover.

I've also been working on my entry on my backstroke. At the Auburn Swim Camp a few years ago, David Marsh and said that I had a tendency to overreach behind my head. Lately, when I've been swimming on my own, I've been getting the guards to watch my stroke and help me correct it. I feel like I'm making progress as I'm not running into the lane rope as much. Also, I feel like I am getting much better rotation.
    Categories
    Uncategorized