View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. 8/10 Run and Swim

by , August 10th, 2009 at 09:33 PM (FREEDom)
    7am Run
    Ran about 30 minutes. Jogged for about 16 minutes. Then on the way back, jogged 30 secs easy, and 1 minute "fast". Well, faster.

6:30pm SCY
    Regular Masters workout. Water was a touch on the warm side. Beth coached.

400 sw, 300 pull, 200 kick, 100 choice

8 x 125 on 2:05 "rolling IM", where the 50 rolls from fl, to ba, to ?? to fr. I mostly swam as 25 fl, 25 ba, 25 fl, 25ba, 25 fr. These were definitely a slog. Legs were not there.

6 x 100 on 1:30 pull hyp 3/5/7/3. I ended up descending these down to 1:05.
    100 easy

6 x 100 on 1:20 swim. Was assigned 1:30, but I wanted to get some tighter intervals to try to get moving. I ended up descending these down to 1:03. Started to fell beter.

4 x 100 on 2:00 IM kick

8 x 50 on :50 mid pool starts, double turns

2 x 50 fast

200 easy

It seems like it takes about 45 minutes to get going lately. Perhaps its some of the cross training in the last couple of days... 40 mile bike ride on Sunday, and jogging in the morning must wear out my delicate legs.
    Tags: running
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. NATIONALS or "Is there any other place to be except Indy!"

by , August 10th, 2009 at 08:07 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I will probably do a series of blogs about Nationals since there is so much to say!
    Today I will dedicate my ramblings to all those swimmers who think they aren't "good enough" or "unworthy" to swim in the Nationals (or even in a swim meet).
    I was excited when I found out Nats were going to be in Indy. The Natatorium is a wonderful facility, but most of all it is close to my home. If I did my 1st event and hated it I could bag it, go home, and act like I was never down there. ( googles, cap, swimsuit, and a coating of water are a pretty great disguise!) In the meantime I agreed to have 2 out of state (forumite and friend) swimmers stay at my humble abode. I just might have chickened out of the whole thing except when you have a couple of friends staying with you who are swimming it sort of engages you in the moment. Anyways.............I was nervous!
    The 200 Free was my first event. I truthfully dislike the 200 free; the event is too short for me, the O2 debt freaks me out. Okay, well first of all I arrived at the Nat way too early. I sat around for 5 hours or so and started self-destructing. I watched former Olympians, world record setters, and top-notch swimmers with beautiful/dynamic stroke techniques swim; I really started getting negative with myself. As my 1st event drew closer so I entered the locker room and cased myself like a sausage in my B70-nero suit(I"m not worthy). I met a wonderful swimmerchick named Kimberly Stevens in the locker room; we struggled together to get our suits on! (we were successful thank God even thought they later popped!)
    I reported to my block for the 200, again too early. I looked around for a diversion for my negative and self-destructing psyche, I found Barb Delenois who so graciously conversed with me for 10 minutes or so and helped eat up the painful time I needed to kill before my swim. (thanks Barb!)
    Minutes before the swim Jimby T. and Bill W. (my dream houseguests) appeared with a video-cam to interview me pre-200 swim. This was a great diversion and made me as happy as a clam. I'm glad Bill noticed I was supposed to be on the blocks cause otherwise I would have missed the event!
    Well...... the gun fired off and I dove in like a rocket! (a rocket with its head up and arms all akimbo) The rest is history.......my googles fell off and landed in my mouth.......for some reason this "cracked me up" so I surfaced, emptied my googles, re-attached them to my face, and then proceeded to swim the 200 free as hard as I could while giggling! I'm glad my first event was a cluster _uck; I approached the rest of the meet with the understanding/self-realization that master's swimming is an extremely supportive and accepting community of people. (in other words no one laughed or ridiculed me)
    To anyone out there who swims but is uncomfortable to go to Nats or meets....all I can say is "just do it!"
    Sometimes it's just a good thing to stick yourself out there in an "uncomfortable" place and work it out within yourself. Whether you are successful , or not (like I was in the 200) the important thing is that you got out there and did your thing. The warm fuzzies you get from your friends, and the completion of the failed task somehow make you understand that the world (USMS) and fellow man-kind is a good place to be.
    TOMORROW>>>>>read how a failure @ the 200 free can end up as a National Champion in the 800 Free Relay!!!!! hint...(it's all in where you are, who you know, and great friends!)

ps.......Today I had a nice 1500 swim in the same heat with my idol "Chicken of the Sea"(she just did the Manhatten Island 28 mile swim!" The coolest thing about it was when Paul W and Donna H were there to greet me at the finish! This forum/blog is so fun! Thanks guys for your positive vibes!
    ps...if the grammer or spelling is bad just know I'm sitting on my bed w/my pug drinking massive chard!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Mon Aug 10th, 2009

by , August 10th, 2009 at 10:44 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Monday Aug 10th, 2009

Did not swim Saturday or Sunday
    Went to Tyler, TX this weekend

arrived on time, went to bed after midnight

congrats on all the great swims at Nationals
    2009 USMS LCM Nats

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM
    6:00 - 7:30
    whitney Coached
    Garrison pool
    swam with tyler, todd, brad, ned paul, nate, & matt
    dove in on time

GARRISON IS A PRETTY SLOW POOL,
    POOL IS SHALLOW, TEMP IS WARM, 83 OR 4

Warm-up

Main Set

24 x 100 @ 2:15 descend 1 - 3
    took and extra 1:00 after #12
    kicked the last 100's
    went 1:08's & 9's on my fast ones

100 easy

NEXT MEET

looking for a couple SCM Meets in Oct Nov or Dec, we'll see, want a fast pool & a big meet to provide more rest between events

Considering:

Rowdy Gaines Masters Classic
    Orlando, FL
    10/17 & 18

Ron Johnson Invitational in
    Tempe, AZ
    11/21/2009 - 11/22/2009

SPMA Short Course Meters Championships in
    Long Beach, CA
    Friday December 4 - Sunday 6, 2009
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Day 4 Nats

by , August 10th, 2009 at 09:17 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    About to hop on a plane home, so just a quick-ish report. I'll post more analysis and thoughts later.

Sunday's events were the 50 free and 50 back. I was glad the 50 free was first to "get the cobwebs out." I was definitely tired after relay day and another poor night's sleep, but not unreasonably so during warm up.

50 free: 28.6, 3rd place

Last year, went 29.3 at a USA meet with some rest in my B70. Yesterday, I went 28.7 and 28.5 in my B70 leading off two relays. On both of them I had very good starts. Not so today. The starter held us for a long time. I didn't get off the blocks well and went too deep. I was dead last at the 15 meter mark, which is unusual for me, though I am not immune to inconsistent starts. Recovered decently and finished in 28.6 for third place. I wore my Jaked for this race. I probably would have gone faster than yesterday'stimes IF I had nailed my start. But fancy suits don't fix that problem!

Lisa Dahl protested the start. Eney Jones also agreed it was terrible. Lisa had been hoping to
    approach the WR. They also herded us like cattle through the 50s making up some time on the timeline by doing this. That wasn't ideal either.

Even so, very happy with my 50 frees. My
    fastest of 28.5 is a big improvement from last year. (same suit)

50 back: 31.99, 1st place

My backstroke felt better in warm up and I made sure to do some backstroke sprints to get my arms moving. But I had a real energy lull and felt dead tired after the 50 free. FlyQueen got me a cup if coffee and that seemed to perk me up.

Since I had gone a 32.3 on Thursday, I was not at all concerned with my time. I just wanted to win cuz this event is my baby. Got a good start, though I played it fairly safe on the SDK front, taking 12. Had a very good breakout and just cranked. Started running out of gas about 5 meters from the flags. Stuck my finish, getting a 31.99. Was thrilled! I missed the WR by .2, but given that I was tired and it was day four, I was happy to finish on a good note.

I changed into my ratty old fashioned stretched out B70 for this race. I hadn't felt comfortable in the Jaked for backstroke on Thursday. In my B70 last year, I went 33.4, so this us a huge improvement.

In general, I think the 50 fly and 50 back were my best swims of the meet. The only real disaster was my ill fated 100 back. I held up better than I thought I would over the course of 4 days.

I did get a quick breaststroke clinic from Allen Stark after my 50 back. He gave me a few tips
    to work on: sculling out wider on the pull to take advantage of my strength, squeezing my elbows together more, not pausing before shooting my hands forward, and keeping my knees closer together on the kick. I had thought my kick was appalling, but he disagreed and really focused on my pull issues. He thought my ankles were plenty flexible to start walking like a duck and that there was no excuse for my breaststroke phobia!

I took loads of photos. I think someone video taped my 50 fly. I think Wolfy video taped my 50 back. I had assigned that task to Jimby, but he was apparently too addled from his 400 free to comprehend digital camera technology. Anyway, hopefully I can post links later.

As an aside, I will decline all individual IL state records that I set. Though I loved my adopted Nationals team the Academy Bullets, I'm a PV
    swimmer and will promptly rejoin GMUP.

Updated August 10th, 2009 at 12:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  5. Time to wind down

by , August 9th, 2009 at 09:05 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    My 50 Free went ok in 33.03, I guess considering the amount of sprint training I did not do being 1 second off what I did last year is not bad. I did do a season best time so that is good.

Finally have time to reflect and spend alittle time in my room for a change. Now I have to see if I can change modes to distance mode tomorrow for the 1500 Free in the morning so it is almost time for me to go to bed.

I can't believe this is almost over. I had such a great time and enjoyed hanging with everyone from the forums and my teammates.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. 2009 OW UPDATE

i've add a few events to my calendar. its been fun moving around and meeting so many people (and forumites including b'klyn girl today and our swimmer last week in santa cruz)

today was grimaldo's mile... the 5th annual and the first without our friend grimaldo but i know his smiling face was on the mind of many of us today as we swam.
    http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...medrano&st=cse

here is a list of the 2009 swims i have and will participate in this year.

April 18 Tampa Bay Marathon (2 person relay w/ Patricia Sener)
    May 23-24 The Great Travis Trek 64 miles in austin (w/ Keith Bell, Robert Alford, Lynne Smith, Chris Derks and Chuck Wiley)
    June 14 The Chesapeake Bay Swim 4.4 mi
    June 20 The Mashpee Super Swim 5k (cape cod)
    June 26 Liberty Island 2k (manhattan)
    June 27 The Aquarium 5k (coney island)
    July 11 2mi USMS National Championship (canandaigua, ny)
    July 25 The Kingdom Swim 10 mi (Lake Memphremagog vt)
    August 1 Golden Gate 1.5 mile
    August 2 Cruz Cruise 2 mile (santa cruz)
    August 8 Island Beach 2 mi (greenwich ct)
    August 9 Grimaldo's Mile (coney island)
    August 15 2mi USMS Cable Championship (lake placid, ny)
    Sept 4 Governors Island 2mi (manhattan)
    Sept 5 Lake Quassy (3 races; 5 miles)
    Sept 6 John Daly Mile (long beach)
    Sept 11 English Channel DOuble Relay (w/ Terry Laughlin, Willie Miller and Steve Shtab
    Sept 26 Little Red Lighthouse 5.85 mi (manhattan)
    Oct 17 Golden Gate to Bay Bridge 10k (SF)
    Oct 21-25 Highland Lakes Challenge 5 lakes, 5 days about 15 miles. (Austin)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Return to the weight room

by , August 9th, 2009 at 07:06 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the weight room for a very light workout today. Has been 3.5 weeks since I have done weights, so started out very light.

Bench press: 65 x 15
    Lat hi row: 90 x 15
    Triceps press: 30 x 15
    Alt. hammer curls: 10 x 15
    Leg press: 150 x 15
    Calf raises: 50 x 15
    Push-ups: 1 set of 15
    Bicycle crunches: 1 set of 50
    Good morning darlings: 1 set of 50
    Basic crunches: 1 set of 50
    Side crunches: 2 sets of 25
    Back extensions: 1 set of 15
    Torso twists: 1 set of 50
    Toe raises: 3 sets of 10
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Relay Day -- So much fun!!

by , August 9th, 2009 at 08:49 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Quickie blog.

First, no cramping today. Made sure to drink a ton of Gatorade. My GMUP buddy also gave me some quinine tablets, a product from Canada that ge uses called "Leg Cramps.". Also just went with the usual lack of sleep.

These were my first relays ever at Nationals, and I really enjoyed them!

Wore B70, as I did on Friday.

Womens 120 200 free relay, 1st place:

I think we went a 1:54 or so and was told it was
    pretty close to the NR. I led off with a 28.7, a PB for me. Previous best 29.2. Took 4-5 dolphin kicks on start. 3 breaths. Felt pretty good.

Mixed 200 medley relay, 200 plus, 3rd place

Swam the fly leg. Had a bad dive, went in a bit sidesways and and to straighten out. Think I split a 30.1. Very safe start for me, as I'm not that used to relays.

Mixed 200 free relay 200 plus, 2nd place

My first relay with Jimby, who swam his little heart out with a blowout in his B70. Very exciting finish. The team anchored by Spock on the forums nipped us at the end. I led off again and went a 28.5. Thus time, I took 7-8 dolphin kicks. I guess more is better.

I got some good feedback on my freestyle from Coach Bill White, also a Bullet. He said my kick was like a "motorboat.". I never knew this! I always thought my flutter kick was weak and that I wasn't kicking enough. This is apparently because I am doing a flutter-dolphin type motion with my straight arm stroke. I never knew that ... I think Chris has mentioned that he does this in free as well. I've heard if some coaches trying to teach this style. I guess I'm happy to hear that's what I'm instinctively doing. My head is also too high, but again, it was opined that this was because I was undulating. My body must be hard wired to dolphin kick.

Psyched for the 50 free and 50 back today. Not too worried about times, as I've already got good splits from previous swims. Fortunately, though tired, I don't feel totally broken down like I did at Zones. Off to warm up!

Updated August 10th, 2009 at 12:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  9. Jolted out of laziness

by , August 8th, 2009 at 10:46 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    The taper I started three weeks ago for Nationals made me quite lazy. I knew I needed to run today, but was trying to figure out a way to put it off. I had already put it off by not doing it yesterday. Finally talked myself into it and headed out to the track once the sun went down.

Hubby went with me and walked a couple of laps to get some exercise. He had to have another surgery yesterday as a follow-up to what he had a week ago. He is not allowed to do any strenuous exercise for two weeks, but walking is allowed.

Conditions were not ideal for running even though the sun had gone down. Temp was 82 degrees and humidity was between 75 and 80 percent. I could run in the mornings, but I detest that even more than the treadmill. So, hit the track and did the following workout:

1 mile easy run to warm up
    1 mile: jog the curves, stride the straights - held 20 sec. on straights
    1 mile: 200 easy speed, 200 easy - held 45 sec. on easy speed
    1/2 mile easy jog to cool down

3.5 miles total

Not much mileage, but I felt it was a quality workout that jolted me out of my laziness. Good for the running form. I'm not big on garbage mileage, so I love these quick little workouts.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. So Busy this time

by , August 8th, 2009 at 10:08 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    I have been so busy at Nationals this time that I have not had time to recap on my blog since I was recaping for the team as a whole. With 17 swimmers that is alot of people to write about.

As for me the first day of competition was good I had to best times but not it did not go as expected. The 400 IM (6:56.71)was off by about 3 seconds but I went out in a best time on the first 100 Fly(1:39.31) of it! Ended up 11the and just out of the medals. I'll take a best time where I can get it.

Then I took 2 seconds off my 200 Backstroke (3:08.45) I also took 1 second off my time for the 100 Back time in my split on that swim. Came in 5th on this one.

The second day of competition was good too. I managed to come within .5 seconds of my best 200 Fly time but without hitting the wall until the last 50 instead of the first 50. I just keep telling myself "Keep it long, keep it legal and you will medal in this." So I did just that and placed 7th with a time of 3:45.47.

Today was relay day and I had fun, even with the grueling schedule I had. I anchored the womens 800 free relay which took 7th place and had a decent split. Next was the 100 Fly in the womens 400 medley relay were we came in 5th and had a great split on that one. Followed that up with the mixed 800 free relay which placed 4th. And finished with the mixed 400 free relay which placed 5th.

Not a bad haul for 3 days. Two days to go! Up next is the 50 Free and on the final day the 1500 Free. Lets see if I can get my sprint moving tomorrow. I have not trained alot of sprints this summer so we shall see what happens.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. 8/8 Swim and Golf

by , August 8th, 2009 at 08:50 PM (FREEDom)
    7 - 9am SCY
    Regular Masters workout. Just moved from 10am to 7am, but now for 2 hours. Got to wake up earlier, but get some more time in the pool now, and get it done earlier.
    Beth coached. Water was nice.

400 sw, 300 pull, 200 kick, 100 choice

6 x 125 on 1:50 pull. Did 1 - 4 w/ snorkel
    4 x 100 on 1:30 swim
    4 x 75 on 1:10 swim
    4 x 50 on :50 swim

12 x 25 on :30 fast. I did 2 x (2 fl, 2ba, 2fr)

4 x
    2 x 100 on 10 sec rest
    4 x 25 on 5 sec rest
    #1 IM
    #2 Back
    #3 ?? I did kick w/ fins
    #4 Free
    5 x 200 on 3:00 "fartlek" - was supposed to be 4 strokes fast, 4 easy. Did 8 fast/easy, which equates to about 1/2 lap fast, 1/2 easy. Still pretty exhausting.

4 x 50 on :45

200 easy warm down
    The entire workout out was 5800 yards as I recall. Might have forgot something. 2 hours, pretty decent yardage and work.

I took yesterday off from any training... was tired. But then I was even worse yesterday, just dragging around all day, visiting with my folks. I think I was up too late. I felt better today even after swimming 5800 yards, tired, but not draggging all day like yesterday.

Afternoon

Teed it up with my folks who are down visiting, 18 holes. Hot, but some breeze, so not too bad. Played OK on the front. Stunk on the back. Shot 82 from the back tees, with 5 3 putts... pretty bad. Oh well, when you don't play much, hard to get up too upset. Could have been better, but then I made a couple of shots where it could have been worse if I did not pull those off.
    Tags: golf
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. How to HTFU when you cramp up in a race

by , August 7th, 2009 at 09:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Don't panic. You can dolphin kick with cramps.

Remember the rest of them b@tches ain't better than you.

Do not think of excuses now. It's easier to brainstorm them with friends later. A roomful of hypochondriacs are marvellously inventive.

Remember that there are likely no scientifically valid studies that show that swimming with your ankles at a right angle is more likely to slow you down than swimming with no legs at all.

Go slow. What's the rush? It's long course meters.

No matter how slow you go, you'll still beat Geekity.

It's called backstroke, not back kick, right? So who cares if you can leg press three times more than Jim Thornton?

If necessary, call for the trainer to bring you a gin and tonic stat. It's got quinine, right?

Don't forget the lime because cramps and scurvy are an even worse combination.

Ignore texts from well meaning friends asking why you were out so slow.

-------------------------------------------

So I swam the 100 back today. Was kind of hoping to go 1:12 or so. I managed to put my Chris Stevenson induced start fears aside and take a body length lead at fifteen meters. Unfortunately, the double calf cramps at the start made the next 75 or so rather trying. I was told I was "galacially slow" and "ragged." I managed to get my act together at the 75 meter mark or so and pass 3 people. But, on the whole a disappointing swim; my slowest time in 3 years. My backstroke feels very odd so far this meet. I'm also not feeling so great in the morning.

Hope to have much fun on relay day tomorrow.

Had a fabulous dinner with forum friends.

Updated August 10th, 2009 at 12:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  13. Who Has Time

by , August 7th, 2009 at 04:48 PM (Making Coaching And Swimming Work)
    As I begin to explore my options for offering coaching online to swimmers who are friends and family, with the intention of offering the service down the road to clients, I am rediscovering the most invasive issue for swimmers - life.

I have long had that problem myself. I either have to work my 'real' job, coach or take care of the humans and canines in my household before I can consider training myself. What makes it easier or more difficult to fit training when we all have to live life?

Time management.

One of my swimmers lives in Chicago. She is young, not in a committed relationship, and very energetic. She loves to swim and was totally self motivated to get going with a focused program. Our goal was the Big Shoulders 5K in September - and we had 13 weeks to train her for it.

After three weeks, she had a busy weekend and broke her stride. We could not connect for our Sunday phone call and subsequently she did not swim Monday morning. Understandable. She made it up that night.

The following week it was work overload. Then poor timing on our Sunday phone call. Then work again. She began to make herself feel guilty for 'bagging out' all the time. I was constantly assuring her that she had priorities and swimming was last to come into her schedule - so it became first out of her schedule. This was a mistake on my part. I was so busy making sure she didn't have any negative feelings associated with her swimming that I did nothing to address her main problem - time management.

As coaches; as US Masters coaches, how much pressure do we put on our swimmers to stick with the plan? Can we help our athletes, regardless of ability or commitment level, be better time managers and should that be part of our expertise?

I believe we can and should. Offering your swimmers advice on time management is beneficial to both the individual and your program. I am not on any one philosophical bandwagon, but there is so much information out there (on the web and in print) that it is relatively easy to learn and understand time management strategies that fit your coaching style, program and group of athletes.

As I incorporate these and other concerns into my online coaching philosophy, I will post them here. Time management certainly isn't the most critical issue I have, but today its the most relevant.

This is my first post here and my first blog. My background other than coaching USA and High School Swimming is as a software developer and business owner. Hope you enjoy.
    Categories
    Planning
  14. M.I.A. of L.I.F.E (Laps, Intervals, Fun, Endurance)

I have been dealing with alot of distractions that keep me from staying true to my WOs. Traveling, celebrations, family accidents, business matters, etc.

I went to the Ed Gaw Amelia Island 5k swim at the tip of Fla. and it was awsome. It is so far away from this writing however, that I feel its memory slipping away. Ah yes, I just got a flash of being in the perfect temp. ocean water on a clear day and charging with a hop. skip and a jump toward the first bouy. It seemed like forever, but I kept my stroke long, relaxed and steady.

I kept invisioning things like my coach at the side of the pool with her arms stretch out like a monkey reminding me to climb the water long and tall.

I thought about my Dad if he were alive... on the side lines saying, "Com'on you can do it!

I had planned on pulling out my surfer racecar driver friend Peter for help when I just thought I couldn't go any farther and I did.

At one point I smelled cigarette smoke...it was a kayaker...drove me nuts.

"Where's that dam bouy!" I remember screaming out loud to nobody on several occasions.

Sometimes in the distance I saw two other bright green caps. I used them as competion I was determined to catch but never did.

I am very thankful to the kaykers for keeping us all coraled. I would have other wise been all over the place.

I used houses on the sidelines like people I was passing in a parade...my hands waving over and over again.

Finally, I saw the finish bouy! I rounded it and headed to shore. When I stood up I felt my whole body shift and not in a good way. My legs ached as I crossed the finish line with all my might.

I won my age group!!!! But most of all my time makes me very, very proud of the hard work I did leading up to that very moment of 1:35:24 for my first 5k.

Now time to get back to the drawing pool.

P.S. Good Luck to everyone at the Nationals!

Updated August 29th, 2009 at 09:07 AM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Friday Aug 7th, 2009 Fast Friday

by , August 7th, 2009 at 10:18 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Friday Aug 7th, 2009

WEIGHTS:
    World gym in San Marcos
    lat press 8 x 35 8 x 40 8 x 45 6 x 50
    lat pull 10 x 150 8 x 160 8 x 175
    bench press 10 x 135 10 x 155 8 x 165
    leg press 10 x 180 10 x 270

arrived on time

2009 USMS LCM Nats

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM
    whitney Coached
    Garrison pool
    swam with amy, tyler, todd, chris, doug, chris & brandon
    dove in on time

Warm-up
    choice swim till 6:25

Main Set

10 x 200 @ 5:00
    1-5 descend 1-5
    6-10 Hold pace of #5
    went
    2:33, 2:25, 2:27, 2:25, 2:23
    2:23, 2:27, 2:24, 2:23, 2:19

100 easy

5 x 100 @ 2:30
    1-3 descend 1-3
    went 1:19, 1:14, 1:09
    4-5 Hold pace of #3
    went 1:07, 1:03

100 easy

2,700 plus 25 minute warm-up

NEXT MEET

looking for a couple SCM Meets in Oct Nov or Dec, we'll see, want a fast pool & a big meet to provide more rest between events

Considering:

Orlando, FL
    10/17 & 18

Tempe, AZ
    11/21/2009 - 11/22/2009

Long Beach, CA
  16. 8/6 SCY Swim

by , August 6th, 2009 at 11:06 PM (FREEDom)
    6:30pm SCY
    Regular masters workout. Beth coached on deck. Water was niiiice! I felt like a sore, stiff, old slug.

Warm up
    400 sw, 300 pulll, 200 kick, 100 choice
    I was busy solving the worlds problems, so only got in about 500.

2 x 300 on 4:15 pull. Still warming up on the first on, went 3:19 on the second.
    100 easy
    8 x 75 on 1:10 build
    8 x 50 on :45 swam the first few with snorkel trying to get some balance back. It helped.
    100 easy
    16 x 25 on :25 IM order. Swam back on ?? leg.
    100 easy
    10 x 25 on :35 kick
    10 x 25 on :30 kick w/ fins
    100 easy

5 x 100 on 1:40, desc 1 > 2, 3 > 5

200 easy warm down

Try to sleep in this morning to get some extra rest, but still was up around 6am. Oh well, still took it easy this morning, but was a busy work day. Still felt tired in the pool. The last set of 5 x 100s finally got a little loose, descended down to 1:00.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Day 1 Nats, Thursday. Aug. 6

by , August 6th, 2009 at 10:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Blogging from iPhone ...

What an eventful first day at Nats ... Don't know where to start!

I met many forumites and swimmers I hadn't met before -- Ahelee, Eney Jones, Bobinator, Lisa Dahl, Jim Corbeau, Michael Heather, Allen Stark, Anna Lea Matysek, Frrday Girl, Kurk Dickson, and loads of new teammates. I was at the meet the entire day because I just love watching the swimming and seeing how all my friends do. And, very importantly, I got this lovely engraved spit cup from Eney Jones. We had been joking about spitting or splitting lanes in the 50 free. She was hoping my initials were LOL, but I had to disappoint her on that score.

I was a tad worried last night as I had a difficult day yesterday, but a "manly" hug from Jimby and Bill White and the dazzling smile of coach Chris helped cure that.

50 fly: 29.7

Really shocked! Did not expect to go under 30, especially since I just went 30.7 rested. I didn't
    have a great reaction time or breakout and short stroked the finish. But, hell, it was a huge PB for me. AJ Block, a real stud flyer, told me this time would have won the age groups between 30-44, which shows how dominant the 45-49 ladies are!

50/200 Back: 32.3 50 split

I must admit I was a but freaked out by Chris Stevenson's unfortunate DQ right before my race. His swim was simply fantastic to watch. And I myself always worry about the 15 meter mark. As a result, I was too conservative on my start. I was too shallow and only took ten SDKs. Not playing to my strength ... My turnover also felt slower than usual and several people commented that it looked like I was swimming the 100 back. I also, perhaps out of nerves, forgot to use my nose clip! Egads! I feel like that's my good luck charm!

Nonetheless, I split a 32.3. My previous best was 33.4, so I was pleased with the time. I think this split puts me no. 1 so far this year. I just think I need to go back to my usual start.
    And I have the 100 back tomorrow for that.

I'm hoping to get more sleep tonight!

Had great dinners with friends both nights. .

And only saw one super nasty B70 tear.

Updated August 10th, 2009 at 12:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  18. Thursday, August 6, OW

by , August 6th, 2009 at 07:47 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Got in a 45 minute continuous swim in open water lake today. Air-temps were about 90 degrees and I'm guessing water temp was mid-80s. Kind of hot, but still felt good to be out there in the water. Even did some evil stroke just to be sure my legs got a good workout.

Average HR for the swim was exactly 140. Perfect for an aerobic-type workout which is how I intend to keep it. Maybe there is some hope for me to do a decent 500 again. Would be nice to do at SCY Nationals next year.

Updated August 6th, 2009 at 10:58 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Thursday Aug 6th, 2009

by , August 6th, 2009 at 12:27 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thursday Aug 6th, 2009

arrived on time

2009 USMS LCM Nats started today

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM
    whitney Coached
    Garrison pool
    swam with tyler, todd, doug & nned
    beside larry mary katie & paul
    dove in on time

Warm-up
    200 swim
    200 pull
    200 kick
    200 drill
    (all 150 free/50 NO free)

Main Set
    3 rounds of: descend each round rest :30 after each swim
    400 free
    200 IM
    100 best

assigned: 20 x 50 with fins @ :50
    1-5 kick 6-10 fly/free 11-15 kick 16-20 back/free
    did: no fins, on kick I kicked a 25 swam a 25

10 x 100 free pull
    1 - 4 free strong interval on 1:20, 1:15 2nd round
    #5 easy

here's what we're doing tomorrow for
    FAST FRIDAY

Fri 8/7
    Warm-up
    free swim until 6:25 am; stretch it out, good head position, good body position; get ready to swim FAST

Main Set
    10 x 200 @ 5:00
    1-5 descend 1-5
    6-10 Hold pace of #5

100 easy

5 x 100 @ 2:30
    1-3 descend 1-3
    4-5 Hold pace of #3

100 easy

2,700 plus 25 minute warm-up

NEXT MEET

Considering:

Orlando, FL
    10/17 & 18

Tempe, AZ
    11/21/2009 - 11/22/2009

Long Beach, CA
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Wednesday Afternoon

by , August 6th, 2009 at 03:13 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    WSAC - Aquasol Masters
    Coach Janine

Warm- 600 (200 FR/100 IM Drill, 100 FR, 200 K)
    10x25 K on :45 FR, board, head down ( I did 5-6 SDK's off each wall)
    4x200 on 3:00 1&2 Pull. 3.Snorkel. 4.Swim (2:41)
    4 x100 BK 50 One-Arm drill/50 Swim 1:45 (Did on 2:00)
    Taught to BK kick 6 kick center, 6 left, 6 right.
    2x50 BK Kick drill 6 C/R/L

100 Cool down

2250 SCY

As I continue to learn new things, Ive always wondered why my back stroke is so laborious. I wasn't kicking very well. So coach taught me a kicking drill that I will have to practice on, as well as the infamous backstroke kicking drill (both arms held overhead) Rotation has been an issue, as is grabbing the water early and maintaining a strong pull throughout.
    I could still feel yesterdays fly workout in my left shoulder.

Updated August 16th, 2009 at 03:56 AM by EricOrca

Categories
    Swim Workouts