View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Extra credit! Long Course

by , March 7th, 2010 at 07:02 PM (FREEDom)
    Mar 7 LCM
    Got some time this afternoon to get another workout in, swam on my own... but did run into Tom and Bruce, who also were getting in some extra laps. Thought I'd go ahead do this since I'll be traveling next week, so not sure what my swimming schedule will be like. I'm often not good about training while on the road.

Weather was great, about 70... almost felt hot! Water was a bit warm.

Warm up
    3 x 200

3 x
    - 400 on 6:00
    - 4 x 100 on 1:40 desc 1>40
    - 200 kick with fins

6 x 150 on 2:30 pull w/ snorkel

100 warm down

I weighed myself before and after this workout... I lost 4 lbs from this workout. Gorging tonight!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. A nice day for a swim

by , March 7th, 2010 at 06:56 PM (FREEDom)
    Mar 6 SCY 8am
    Well, it was 44F when I got there just before 8am Saturday. Steam rising off the pool. But no wind, and not a cloud in the sky. It did warm up a bit, and the water was good, if a touch on the warm side.

Warm up
    400 300 200 100

300 swim
    4 x 50 on 45 fast
    200 kick
    4 x 50 on 45 fast
    100 easy

8 x 225 on 3:45 (?) as
    - 50 kick
    - 75 swim
    - 50 fast

2 x 400 on 5:30 "fartlek" swims - 3 strokes easy, 5 strokes fast

12 x 25 on 30 drill/sprint
    6 x 25 on 30

Warm down

Or something about like that, having trouble remembering everything. We did around 5400 yds. A fair amount of "fartlek" swimming this morning .. mixing up the workout working on different energy systems, which is hard to do.... as I tend to find a groove in workout, and get stuck.

It did turn out a decent day... finally! And next week should be in the 70s. Yahoo!... of course, I'm traveling up north next week where it will be 50s, but I hope to get a couple of swims in... indoors.

Updated March 7th, 2010 at 07:05 PM by ImFree (changed date)

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. 59.56!

Today was the Spring Fling Meet on Long Island. In honor of the meet’s moniker, I wore my flowery cap during warm-ups:

I decided to be a sprinter for this meet, swimming 100 FR plus 3 50s. Here’s how it went:

100 FR: 59.56 (28.94, 30.62)
    I was so incredibly happy with this swim! I have long had a love-hate relationship with my 100 FR. Actually, maybe it would be better described as a bully-victim relationship: I would try to make a friendly overture; it would beat me up; I would whimper and retreat and avoid the event entirely for a year or so.

The last time I broke a minute for my 100 was in March 2004 (59.77), and I had almost despaired of ever doing it again. Until today, my 40-44 AG best was a 1:03 (and this is my 5th year in the age group!). For this race, I told myself that I would be happy with a 1:01-low or 1:00+, but secretly I hoped to go under that magical 60 seconds.

Since doing more sprint training in Florida, I had been envisioning swimming this race most days in practice. I imagined kicking really hard on the last 50, and putting my head down and not breathing during the last half lap. Then I imagined looking up at the board and seeing a 59 by my lane. That’s exactly how it happened today!

My masters best in this event is 58.07 (2002), and my lifetime best is 57.53 (1981). I wasn’t considering swimming this event again this season, but now it seems as if the first and maybe even the second of those numbers might be within reach if I were to swim this tapered and suited. On the other hand, today’s swim was a really good one—I hit all my turns, and executed exactly the way I wanted to. I don’t have any obvious ideas about how to swim it tons better, so maybe I should just stand pat with this time this season. It’s something to think about.

50 FL: 30.08
    This was another age-group best (I had previously gone 30.25 in 2008). It’s less than .5 seconds off my masters best of 29.71 (2000). I was really pleased with the time—my most recent 50 FL swim was a scm 34.95 this past December, and this definitely beats that swim. I was also happy overall with my stroke—the changes I made to my fly in Florida have made it more powerful, and maybe over time they will become sustainable for longer distances.

I did glide into the wall on both my turn and my finish, so I see the potential for some improvement there. Also my breakout after my dive was not as well timed as it could have been—I think I need to work on that in practice while wearing the overcap I wear in meets, as that seems to alter the feel of surfacing a bit.

50 BK: 31.62
    This was a little off both my age-group best (31.35, 2008) and my masters best (30.70, 2001). My start wasn’t very sharp, my turn was not as snappy as I had practiced this week, and I probably should have taken an extra stroke on the finish. I also think I need to get a little deeper on my catch. Still, this counts as a respectable 50 BK for me.

50 FR: 27.25
    I had a fun race with my teammate in the next lane on this one--he had been trash talking me about our "death match" all meet long. My time was about .4 seconds off my 40-44 best (26.83, 2008), and well off my masters best of 25.99 (2002). Still, it was a better 50 than I have been swimming lately. I had a decent though not great turn, and while my kick felt strong, my turnover felt a bit sluggish. I’d like to swim this race again this season—maybe at the meet that’s coming up in 2 weeks. I’d love to get back under 27.

Other meet notes:
    I was happy overall with this meet. Heck, after my 100, I still would have been happy if I'd swum 40-plus on all my 50s! This was the first meet in a while that I went into feeling completely healthy--no muscle twinginess or asthma symptoms or joints feeling iffy--and it was just a joy to get up the blocks repeatedly and blast some sprints as fast I as I could without worrying about anything going awry.

Everyone I saw during the warmup smiled at me (or at least at my cap), and that made me go into the meet feeling like the world was a happy and wonderful place. I think that helped me stay relaxed for my races.

For the meet I wore my Asics purple-flowers-and-pinstripes suit:

I still just can’t bring myself to squeeze back into my B70—it seems like such an ordeal! Maybe if I end up doing a taper meet this spring (not a sure thing) I will suck it up and wear it.

Clearly the coaching I got in Florida helped me in my races. I don't get the same level of feedback about my swimming here in New York. I need to figure out some way to get some stroke coaching and some feedback and advice on my meet swimming.

My next meet will be in 2 weeks—I have to decide what I want to swim, and get my entry in soon. I'm leaning towards 100 BK, 50 BR, 50 FR, and maybe 1 other event (although I need to check the entry form to make sure none of those are back-to-back).

Updated March 7th, 2010 at 04:54 PM by swimsuit addict (font was too big)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Swim, Walk, Run

by , March 6th, 2010 at 11:02 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    A beautiful day here in the Deep South with temps hitting around 60. First, since son had spent the night at a friend's house, husband and I were able to go to the pool at the same time! We each did our own 2,000 yard workout. On my workout, I particularly enjoyed the following set:

4 x 75 with fins with 30 seconds rest: 25 underwater/50 swim

#1 25 underwater/50 fly
    #2 25 underwater/50 back
    #3 25 underwater/50 fly
    #4 25 underwater/50 free

Upon arriving home, I took two of our dogs out for a one mile walk in the cotton fields. One of the dogs is 6 months and the other is 13 years old. The 13 year old is a cross between a chow and German shepherd. She has aged quite well and will still chase a critter or two. At the end of the walk, however, she was starting to tire and slowed down a bit. The puppy, a cross between an Austrailian shepherd and a beagle, did not like this one bit and started to herd the older one. Older one did not like this one bit and decided to take a short-cut through the woods to get ahead of us. She met us a little further on up the field and the puppy, now back on the leash, had somewhat calmed down.

After getting the two smaller dogs home, took the 115 pound lab mix out for a run in the fields. He loves it and always comes running back to check on me if I am going too slow. I figure we ran about 2 miles and got home just as the sun was starting to go down.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. OK I am weird I guess

by , March 6th, 2010 at 06:55 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today I decided since I was sore from fly yesterday I would do something similar and it was easier.

5x100@1:45 Free
    10x50@1:00 Fly w/paddles & fins
    400 Free kick w/fins
    40x25 10 of each stroke as drills w/fins
    400 alt 100 fly/100 back w/fins
    200 easy kick w/fins

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. 2 WEEKS POST-OP

I finally feel like I'm getting back into the swing of things... I eeked out 33k this week after an 11,000 yd session today inspired by Glenn Mills 100x 150 @ 2:00. I did 60x 150 @ 2:00 and another 2000 mixed up BK/FR in no particular order.

There is still evidence of blood in my sinus... mostly in the morning, but the amount does seem to be decreasing daily. My breathing is easier, but night time post-nasal drip does disturb my sleep. I believe this too shall pass.

Clare and I visited with a bunch of CIBBOWS friends last night and were treated to a slide show of Cristian, Rachel, and Patricia's adventure swim of the Beagle Channel (a body of water that separates Chile and Argentina). They did a double crossing in water 38 degrees this past January.... the ladies in "fashion" swimsuits!

There was a lot of OW shop talk as well as Cristian will be making an English Channel attempt this summer and many are still swimming at Brighton Beach every weekend.... water temp cleared 35 degrees last week.... still a bit too cold for me to make the 2 hour drive and swim for 10 minutes. I will begin making the trip weekly when the mercury hits 48.

Lets see.... what else is new?.... Oh.... did I mention that this time next week I'LL BE IN KONA!!!!!!!!!
    Thats right... for national Coffee Party Day http://coffeepartyusa.com/, Ill be sipping Kona's finest... you all will of course be in my thoughts.

Here is something else totally random, but fun: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w"]YouTube- OK Go - This Too Shall Pass - Rube Goldberg Machine version[/ame]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. I need a new swim cap!

This morning I went up to Riverbank State Park and had a little LCM day-before-the-meet swim. It felt good to stretch out in the long pool. It was a beautiful day here, and the views of the Hudson through the pool windows were inspiring. Here’s what I did:

1000 LCM warmup

10 x 100 @ 1:45, odds FR, evens FR/BK halfies [moderate pace, sharp turns w/ good streamline]

Extra 100 FR/BK halfsie [because my last one on the set above was interrupted, and I wanted to finish on a strong note]

400 warmdown

After I got home I had a good long stretch. My calves are still a little tight from ballet (I went again on Thursday night), but otherwise everything feels good, and I’m excited about getting to swim in the meet tomorrow!

Today’s pool drama notes (there’s always something!): Midway through my set of 100s I had to deal with three lanemates who were swimming side-by-side lengths, using the whole width of the lane. (They were triathletes, so maybe they were practicing swimming at close quarters for their races.) This situation got resolved pretty quickly—the lifeguards up at Riverbank have gotten pretty proactive about enforcing good circle-swimming etiquette—but it got me to thinking about swim caps. Perhaps what I need is a really fierce looking one, maybe with rows of spikes on it, that would make other lap swimmers think twice about having a head-on collision.

Not real spikes, mind you—after all, I am a gentle swimmer of peace and nonviolence. Mostly. But those squishy spiky things that I’ve spotted on Halloween costume biker jackets and dog collars could work. They look quite scary, but are actually soft and lightweight. They seem to be made out of a similar material to Zura fins.

A quick internet search found this rubber Mohawk spike strip meant to go atop a motorcycle helmet. One of these (or a few rows of them!) on a black silicone cap would definitely be a look. If I had a cap like that, I”d definitely wear it for open-water swim starts!

But perhaps for the pool, a single spike right on the top of the cap would suffice. It might actually make you more streamlined, at least when your head was in the right position, and it would quickly alert you when your head position drifted too high. If the spike was long enough, it would help correct any cross-over tendencies. It would thus be good for technique, as well as defense.

So, I actually need two new swim caps—the “Narwhal” model, for the pool, and the “Spartacus” for open water. Anyone have any friends in high places at Speedo or Tyr?

Happy weekend, everyone!

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Saturday Mar 6th 2010 Austin Grand Prix Day 3

by , March 6th, 2010 at 04:46 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Saturday Mar 6th 2010 Austin Grand Prix Day 3

not feeling real snappy
    I am returning to what works for me
    speed training and racing
    cut out aerobic work and distance
    get stronger
    lose weight
    improve my SDK, flutter kick and breastroke kick

Austin Grand Prix Day 3
    swam 100 fr (info below)
    rested a bit for it & shaved chest arms & legs
    huge meet, 1200 swimmers, some national team and olympians
    I'm going to photograph tonights session

RESULTS
    Psych Sheet

100 fr 50.38
    r:+0.79
    23.80 26.58
    went out too hard

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

dick nichols
    scy, main pool,
    Whitney coached
    7:00 - 8:30
    tyler, jon, brad, & guest Graham Ginn
    dove in on time
    wore B70 legs
    arrived 15ish minutes late

warm up:
    missed it

6 x 150 on 2:00
    started at 1:45

100 easy

6 x 100 k on 2:00
    started at 1:45
    did 1:09 - 1:14

100 easy

6 x ??? on 1:55
    did 100's

100 easy

assigned 10 x 50 on 1:15
    odds 1, 2 or 3 breaths
    even strong
    did skipped the odds
    went medium strong on the evens

went 22.9 on last one from a dive

100 easy

2010 MEETS:

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX Countdown
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events
  9. I love to swim

by , March 6th, 2010 at 01:22 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Reported to the Monon Center to swim with my cool Saturday friends!
    The font of the workout is too small for me to read without my reading glasses. I think this is how it went:
    2 Times Through1st three sets)
    **200 Free on 3:30
    **2 X 100 Free on 1:45
    **6 X 25 stroke :30
    14 X 50 Free on 1:00 (alt mod./hard)

**2 times through: (next 3 sets)
    **100 Flutter Kick (2:00)
    **2 X 50 Flutter Kick (1:00)
    **4 X 25 Flutter Kick (:30)

**200 Freestyle (paddles and buoy)
    **2 X 100 Free (sprint)
    **4 X 50 Stroke on 1:00
    **8 X 75 on 1:20 (1st four IM/2nd four Free)
    **Super 500 (Free swims, Stroke 25's)
    **2 X 200 (1st Backstroke/ 2nd Broken 200 Backstroke on 1:00)

4,500 scy

I've decided to purchase and try some nutritional products. I bought these at a new place per advice of one of my Saturday morning swim friends. I know I'm going to post this and probably find out they suck....I guess you have to start somewhere. The nutrition guy said to use this right after I swim. It should replenish and add protein. He said to use after every swim and that it would be good during 10K this summer.
    My system tolerates almost anything pretty well. I'm curious if it helps the bonk I get at work after early mornings swims.
    For Electrocyte Replacement-"Heed" by Hammer Nutrition
    For Protein-Universal BCAA Stack
    I'm going to mix the 2 together and drink after early morning swims. I'll have my big bowl of yogurt w/blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and granola after I get to work.

I also got a couple Parrillo Protein Bars just to try. I probably could use more protein. I do very well on fruits/vege's/and whole grains. I seem to rely on peanut butter for protein much of the time. probably not good!

It's sunny and
    getting warm outside! I am going to some kind of jewelry party this afternoon. Sounds like fun but I hope I don't spend any money!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -03/08/10

by , March 6th, 2010 at 01:19 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    2 X 400 6:00
    2 X 300 4:30
    2 X 200 3:00

9 X 100 2:00
    Alternate: 100 free moderate** 50 stroke/50 free**100 stroke

12 X 50 1:05
    Alternate: 50 free easy**50 stroke/build**50 stroke/fast

4 X 200 free 3:00
    1 X 100 easy 2:00
    4 X 200 free 2:30 or 2:40 or 3:00
    1 X 100 easy -
    Pull set.

1 X 100 kick*loosen* 3:00
    8 X 25 sprint kick :45

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5600Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Swim with the kids 3/5/10

by , March 5th, 2010 at 09:37 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    So I swam with the senior age group today, some of them were at a meet so there was lots of space.
    They're beginning their taper season so the workout was a good level for me, and I was pretty impressed to make all the intervals and some good swims in there. 4000 in under 80 minutes.

Warm Up
    800 FR

Main
    1 x 200 FR 3:30 Moderate I went 2:45 without really trying...I couldn't believe it.
    1 x 50 FR 1:00 Sprint Went :32
    1 x 200 FR 3:30 Moderate I swam slower and still went 2:50
    2 x 50 FR Sprint 1:00 Went 32 again
    1 x 200 FR 3:30 Moderate Went 2:55
    3 x 50 FR 1:00 Sprint got slower prob 33-36 on the last.
    1 x 200 FR 3:30 Moderate 2:55
    4 x 50 FR 1:00 OK These got better 34-33 and I pushed the last one to get :31 sometimes find that I get my second wind.
    1 x 200 FR 3:30 Moderate this was probably just over 3:00 because I really dragged it out.

Stroke Set

We did Free b/c the other kid is training for FR and I did BR last time.
    1 x 100 Drill 2:00
    2 x 25 :40 Sprint
    1 x 200 Swim/Drill 4:00
    4 x 25 :40 Sprint
    1 x 200 Swim/Drill 4:00
    6 x 25 :40 Sprint
    1 x 100 Swim 2:00

Kick Set

500 With fins and board

Cool Down

6 x 50 EZ

The 200's really freaked me out... as I normally go about 3:05 when I cruise it...sub 3:00 is pretty awesome.
    The 25 Sprints were good I was well under :15 and held them. It's funny hat my sprinting felt better at the end rather than the the first set. I guess the extra rest really helps. me. It took me a while to really find my turnover though...so a good practice for me.

Still no weights...I'll start again on Monday.

Updated March 5th, 2010 at 09:52 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Friday Mar 5th 2010 Austin Grand Prix Day 2

by , March 5th, 2010 at 05:13 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Friday Mar 5th 2010

Austin Grand Prix Day 2
    swam 400 IM & 100 breastroke (info below)
    rested a bit for it & shaved chest arms & legs
    huge meet, 1200 swimmers, some national team and olympians
    I'm going to photograph tonights session

RESULTS
    Psych Sheet

[B]400 IM
    went 4:24.48
    got 114th out of 138
    r:+0.84 (slow)
    1:00.00 (32.46)
    1:34.74 (34.74)
    2:08.68 (33.94) 1:08.68
    2:46.39 (37.71)
    3:25.81 (39.42) 1:17.13
    3:56.46 (30.65)
    4:24.48 (28.02) 58.67
    This is my best 400 SCY IM as a master
    real sure I can go faster

Need to work on my RT seems I'm right in the mid 8/10ths of a sec
    sluggish

just swam it easy speed breathed
    a lot
    worked the last 50

100 breast
    went 1:05.53
    r:+0.83

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, main pool,
    Whitney coached
    5:30 - 6:30
    swam with max, larry, nate, tyler, mike, ned, chris carter (a guest who's daughter is in the meet) james
    wore brief
    dove in on time
    wore B70 full

warm up:
    15 minutes choice

50 drop down set 30 x 50
    start at 60 drop interval by 1 sec
    till failure
    made it to 30

100 easy

9 x 100 on 1:15
    dove
    swam easy speed
    held 25 & 6

rest 100

50 fast
    went 22

100 easy

25 SDK
    roll
    Tyler timed
    went 9.9

2010 MEETS:

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX Countdown
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events

Updated March 6th, 2010 at 03:25 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , USA-S Swim Meets / Events
  13. Gym/Swim, Friday, March 5

by , March 5th, 2010 at 04:57 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Back to my usual routine, but didn't overdo it at either the gym or pool today. And still plan on taking a rest day tomorrow!

Gym:

cable twists w/yoga ball, 50 x 2 x 15, each side
    squats swings w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    overhead squats, 45 x 2 x 15
    chest flys w/lunge on cable machine, (?) x 1 x 15
    body rows, 2 x 15
    hanging straight leg raises, 2 x 15
    bent over DB fly, 12.5 x 2 x 15
    seated straight arm dips for RC, 60 x 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each side

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Set 1: Fast + Aerobic Swim

6 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ)
    3 evil, 3 free
    still don't feel too speedy on these

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = 25 easy speed fly + fly drill
    evens = russian breast drill

50 EZ

Set 2: Fast + Hypoxic Kick w/MF:

6 x (25 AFAP belly shooter + 25 EZ)

10 x 50 double shooters @ 1:00
    (cruised around 26s)

50 EZ

Total: 2550

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Still feeling pretty energetic, but had trouble with cramping again today. I think I failed to drink enough water last night and this am. I also think it was due to the fact -- WARNING RANT COMING -- that I was effen glutened again last night at the swim team banquet. I'm so unspeakably sick of this problem. I hate the fact that it's almost impossible to go out to eat and have anything except salad. I hate that I can't walk in my house and just eat whatever when I'm starving. And I am sick to death of the symptoms. I don't seem to be making much forward progress. RANT OVER.

I saw Cage Fighter at the pool today. He has tendonitis in both shoulders. This is what comes from swimming distance with the FISH, I fear. I advised him to try ART (that recently helped another one of my friends with tendonitis), ramp up the RC exercises and just kick for a few weeks.

I saw one of the swimmers at the Austin Grand Prix was using this high tech foam roller to "prep" for his 100 breast final tonight. http://tweetphoto.com/13358504.

This is sort of interesting too. http://www.boston.com/news/health/ar...exercise_pros/. I do seem to know a lot of people, and masters swimmers, that have personal trainers.

I see Alice and Wonderland and a science project in my future this weekend ...
  14. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -03/06/10

by , March 5th, 2010 at 12:43 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    1 X 500 7:30
    2 X 250 3:45
    5 X 100 1:30

1 X 200 free 3:15
    4 X 25 kick*fast* :45
    4 X 50 choice*fast* 1:00
    Three times through, breaking between rounds.

20 X 25 :40
    Sprint 20 yards, no breath.
    Break 1 minute after #8 and #12.

8 X 50 1:10
    25 underwater/25 fast swim

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4100Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Friday, 3/5/10

by , March 5th, 2010 at 12:08 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

400 free and back
    300 IM drill
    8 x 50 kick on 1:05
    (on back in streamline, went 56-57)

3 x 200 on 3:30
    #1 IM (went 3:20
    #2 backstroke (went 3:07)
    #3 free (went 2:50)

2 times through w/10 sec rest between each
    1st round back
    2nd free
    150 (back 2:20, free 2:05)
    100 (back 1:30, free 1:22)
    50 all out (back :39, free :33)

3 x 200 pull w/10 seconds rest
    1st bouy only (did back, 3:10)
    2nd paddles only (free, 2:50)
    3rd bouy and paddles (free, 2:45)

100 easy

Total: 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Long course Friday

by , March 5th, 2010 at 08:41 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    5x200@3:45 Free long and loose
    500 free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    500 Fly w/fins 8:38
    500 kick w/fins alt 100 free/100 fly
    5x100@2:00 Back w/paddles
    500 Free Easy

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Nightswimming

by , March 5th, 2010 at 01:47 AM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    It turns out that my last blog was quite cathartic (in the medical sense) so I am no longer sulking.

That sulk didn't last long. I very much appreciate the feedback and support from my usms friends on this matter. Thankyou all for helping me feel like less of a freakish b*&^ch.

I'm still buzzed and on the couch 2 hours after returning home from a very late and therapeutic swim with my friend Sue Appleyard (thankyou Sue for swimming with me!). I might be tired, but the kids are asleep, the dog's head is in my lap, and I'm working on a pencil thin moustache. Perfect.

Here's a live version of Nightswimming by REM. I play this over and over every time I swim at night. Enjoy.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx9br5ISRpo"]YouTube- R.E.M. - Nightswimming[/ame]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Oscar Pickin' Time

by , March 5th, 2010 at 12:07 AM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    People wonder sometimes why we have two eyes, two ears, two nostrils, two forks on our tongues, two adenoids, two lungs, two pituitary glands, two kidneys, two testicles, and in my case, too much time on my hands.

The answer is fail-safe redundancy: if one ball fails, the other can do its designated job. Just ask Lance. Though you might want to avoid asking Cheryl Crow until she's less fragile.

Tonight, after a long day's journey into the most spectacular day of time-wasting I have had in years, I took my ambien tablet and now just ain't no damn ****ing good at all, to tell the truth.

But unlike 87 out of 88 humans, I have more than just a bunch of paired redundant backup organs, should one malfunction, get sick, or become temporarily incapacitated by drugs and self disgust.

I have a back-up me, that is to say, the Good Twin, John, who is more than a back-up really, he is an idealized version of what I could have been if I had not been so overwhelmed with pettiness and (unusually) petty character flaws, chief amongst which are laziness, greed, spendthifty nature, inability to plan ahead, and the kind of easy distractibility you usually see in pre-school children force fed great goblets of liquid Ritalin by men in white with gloves passed their elbows.

Please enjoy tonight's blog, Oscar Pickin' Time, a film conceived, produced, and starring the one person in the world who is as close to me as anyone could ever hope to come, though so much better than me that the gap between us can never be closed.

Be alert to the later stages of the film, where a fully luxurious pencil thin makes its appearance. Historians, I daresay, some day will note that with this image, the flood gates will be lifted, spilling cascades wannabe swooshing raffish little men in every direction across the streets of America.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnMm44IRpMA"]YouTube- Oscar Pickin' Showdown!!![/ame]

Updated March 5th, 2010 at 12:12 AM by jim thornton

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Hard quality

by , March 5th, 2010 at 12:06 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Slid into the workout with the kids today. Was late as usual, so used some of the first set as my warm-up. This workout was pretty hard because while the intervals gave us lots of rest, we were expected to swim hard.

10 x 200 (used first 3 to warm up):
    3 on 3:45 - did easy free
    3 on 3:40 - did back
    3 on 3:35 - did free
    1 on 3:30 - did free

100 easy

20 x 75 - 25 hard free/50 easy - 30 seconds rest

300 back pull with just paddles

10 x 75 dolphin kick on 1:30

150 easy

4800 SCY

By the time I got to the 10 x 75 set, I was pretty dead! Doing the 25 sprints with the 50 easy really wore my legs out. I was able to hold around 1:05 to 1:08 on the 75 kicks. Pretty happy with this since by this time in the workout, I was spent!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Another double but this was a short one

by , March 4th, 2010 at 09:24 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    I just kicked tonight, nothing hard. Just wanted to keep McKaylin company.

10x100@1:45 Free kick w/fins
    500 kick w/fins alternate 100 free/100fly

Total 1500 yards

As I said not much.
    Categories
    Uncategorized