View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. RC + Happiness in Fortland, Saturday, Aug. 1

by , August 1st, 2009 at 08:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    RC work:

Had to go to the gym this afternoon cuz I was too lazy to do my exercises last night:

3 position arm extensions, 3 x 3 x 15
    seated straight arm dips, 45 x 2 x 25
    prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators on cable machine, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    overhead chops, 2 x 25
    reverse chops on yoga ball, 2 x 25

10 minutes stretching
    10 minutes steam room

Here's another RC exercise that Jazz sent me:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXcRFBFuo-c"]YouTube - Scapular Wall Slide - Shoulder Mobility - Nutrex Solutions[/ame]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm wiped out. Spent many hours at the NVSL All Star meet today in the heat and sun. But there is happiness in Fortland because Mini Fort won the 50 breaststroke. She went about 5 seconds faster than her prior mono times this season.

Last year, I saw one LZR at this meet. This year, it was a sea of Pros, LZRs and B70s. The kids all love them.

I still have no idea how kids swim in these ridiculously shallow pools ...

Am really pissed b/c I rushed out without DVR-ing swimming on NBC and I don't get universal sports. Edit: I apparently DVR'd the swimming "series" so was able to watch.

Updated August 1st, 2009 at 10:25 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  2. Saturday, 8/1/09

by , August 1st, 2009 at 02:47 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Warmup
    300 swim alternating free/back by 75
    200 kick on back alternating dolphin/flutter by 25
    4 x 50 drill, IM order

12 x 25 choice on 40: odds drill, evens build
    (rotated through fly-back-free on these )

swim 3 x 100 free on 3:00:
    #1 first 25 fast, rest easy
    (went 1:30, kind of slow on the easy part)
    #2 middle 25 fast
    (went 1:23)
    #3 last 25 fast
    (went 1:21)

200 easy

3 x 25 off blocks, all fast (walk back)
    (No time on back, fly and free were around 15-16. They felt pretty good)

swim down
    600 easy free and back

Total: 2175 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Saturday 8/1 - It's almost Nationals time

by , August 1st, 2009 at 02:19 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    I can't wait to start feeling fast again. My fly feels really good but everything else I have to wonder about. Today the girls and I did alot of drill work again and not much yardage. Next week they will start cranking it back up while I am gone.

500 Free EZ
    40x25 10 of each stroke multiple drills as we chose them, I let the girls have input into which drills they do on Saturdays
    5x100 @ 1:45 Free started decending them unitentionally but they on the last one put the breaks on to use as a real warm down.
    10 minutes in the Hot Tub felt so good.

Total 2000 yards lame I know but that is what we do no Saturdays as a recovery day. We also work on things we need to focus on.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Saturday Aug 1st, 2009 fast friday on a saturday

by , August 1st, 2009 at 01:46 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Saturday Aug 1st, 2009

Fast Friday on a Saturday

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM
    7:30 - 9:00
    whitney Coached
    Garrison pool
    swam with tyler, jon, andrew, mary & paul
    arrived on time did whole work out

Warm-up
    2 rounds of
    150 fr
    100 k
    150 fr
    100 IM

Main Set
    20 x 50 fr on 1:10
    odds: easy
    evens: fast from a dive off the side
    held 28's & 29's
    these were pretty exhausting

100 easy

assigned 900
    did 4 or 500 easy

assigned: 20 x 50 on 1:10 with fins
    odds easy
    evens fast from a dive off the side
    did: them without fins
    kicked 2 fast ones then swam 1 butterfly
    held 38 - 40 on my 50's k
    went 30 on 3, 29 on 6 & 27 on 10

100 easy

NEXT MEET

looking for a couple SCM Meets in Oct Nov or Dec, we'll see, want a fast pool & a big meet to provide more rest between events
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. July 31 workout

by , July 31st, 2009 at 11:33 PM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Western Slope Aquatics, El Dorado, CA
    Aquasol Masters - Coach Janine

I was early, so I got about 20 minutes of warm up and goofing off...

Warm 1200 - 200FR, 100IM Drill x 4
    100FR Drill 8/3/8 (8 kicks one side, 3 strokes, 8 kicks other side)
    100 BR K
    Main Set
    6x100 IM (1.IM, 2.Relay Order (BK/BR/BF/FR), 3. Reverse) on 2:00 (1:40)
    10x50 K IM 2 ea. IM order on 1:15 Did :45/:50 Fly, 1:05/1:05 BK, 1:10+ BR, :55 on FR
    2x200 FR on 3:00 Did 2:50 & 2:44
    100 Cool Down

This was a full week (5 continuous days swimming) without interruption in 2 weeks, I still have to get back in the gym as I only got 2-3 sessions this month. Im trying to get ready for a SCM meet in Modesto in mid August to kick off the SCM season.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. No Nationals

by , July 31st, 2009 at 08:58 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    This morning at 10 a.m., had to drive my husband 70 miles for emergency surgery for a retinal detachment. No travel for him by plane is allowed for several weeks and travel by car to Indy is not possible because he has to return to the surgery clinic next Friday for another possible surgery. He'll need me around this week in case any possible complications occur from the surgery today. Also, he will need me to drive him on Friday and take care of him for a couple of days if he has another surgery. So, looks like Nationals is out for me.

I am really bummed as it took a lot of effort to train for Nationals. I've had to train on my own and make several forty-five minute drives (each way) just to get to a pool suitable for swimming laps at a time during the day when I could swim. I sometimes found training on my own week after week to be challenging. I really would love it if I could go to swim with a coached masters team within 60 miles of here. I'm the only masters coach within 60 miles. Age-group team here had a location move and did not train in July. Even training with them regularly during the year is not possible as it conflicts with my taking my son to other activities.

One positive thing that did come out of the training was that I got into the best shape I have been in over 5 years. Since the meet at Auburn in February, I felt I had gotten stronger even with losing 8 pounds. I went back to the eating plan suggested several years ago and I think it paid off. I'll know now to stick to it.

I'll be taking a break from swimming for a while. After putting all the effort in, going two weeks into a taper, and then not being able to race has taken the steam out of my desire to train in swimming. I guess now is a good time as any to start my running.

I'll be thinking of folks at Nationals next week and hope that everybody has a great meet!

Updated August 1st, 2009 at 09:07 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Tweedle Dee Twiddle Dum went to the pool and had fun!

by , July 31st, 2009 at 06:59 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Swam solo at LA Fitness scy today. I felt good today. I wore my new "geeky" suit and a couple people said "I like your suit!" (I think they were making fun! lol) Poison Ivy is itching like he_ _! I think I need a round of steroid pills but I'm too lazy to go to the Dr. My forehead and eyebrows are itching today but no sign of bumps.
    I'm going to try some of Fort's Traumeel gel on it; maybe it will numb it up!
    Here's the workout I made up as I went along:

*500 Free warm-up swim
    *2 X 250 swim @ 1500 pace (15 sec rest)
    4 X 125 @ 1500 pace (10 sec rest)
    10 X 50 on :50 (felt good, this usually challenges me)
    *Kick Hill (25-50-75-50-25-25) 5 sec rest between
    *10 X 25 Sprints on 1:00 (I'm just trying to figure out how to sprint since I'm on 4 relays. I'm not sure what pattern or stroke type is fastest for me so I was playing with it)
    *200 IM stretching
    *100 backstroke ez
    2,800 scy
    Time for my early Friday evening chard happy hour! One glass or less usually does the trick!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Friday, July 31

by , July 31st, 2009 at 06:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

10 x 25 shooters on back

Speed work:

4 x 25 build free

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP + 25 EZ)
    AFAPs = 2 UW flutter, 2 doggie paddle, 2 free
    50 EZ after each set of 3

50 EZ

1 x 50 back AFAP w/fins (24ish)

200 EZ

Total: 1800

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I may head to the gym later to do the dreaded RC exercises and sit in the steam room. My shoulder is finally feeling better. That 100 fly set me back for awhile, as I knew it would. Or I may succumb to taper laziness and attempt to do them at home.

Taper bitchies have definitely hit. I had tantrums over lost keys, ungrateful child, printer not working, etc.

Tomorrow is a rest day. Well, sort of, I am going to the All Star meet, which I hope goes well so there is no ensuing drama. lol.

I also need to get my act together over Nats a bit. I haven't even looked at the timeline. Ande would be appalled!

I did purchase some back up goggles and a new suit today. No, not a tech suit. Just a run of the mill practice suit. It's the Nike cut out suit. First Nike suit I've ever had, but it seemed to fit well. And it's light blue -- the THT color!

Updated July 31st, 2009 at 07:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. 7/30/09 Fat Man in Hot Water

by , July 31st, 2009 at 02:33 PM (Fat Man back in the Pool)
    It was over 100 yesterday as I headed to the pool. The aerators where going full time but the water temperature was still warmer than I would prefer.

Aquatic Center LCM

300 Warm up

4 x 200 - odds IM, evens Free on 3:30, I led the first half as a lot of folks were late getting in. First IM felt real strong, no piano drop on the fly, just smooth turnover. Not much rest before the free started. Folks joining in voted to move to 3:45 interval. 2nd IM was dragging on the fly, and not near as smooth through out. bagged the 200.

100 easy

8 x 100 odds IM/drill, evens free build on 2:00
    100 easy

8 x 50 odds IM order, evens free fast on 1:00
    100 easy

Shoulders hurt from this one. I would have loved the workout if the water was 10 degrees cooler.

Been looking through old work out logs from my first stint as a Masters Swimmer (pre FatMan) and the logs run from 1983 to 88 when I moved to Austin. Mileage seems to be the same, only the interval and the girth of the swimmer have changed in the current workouts.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Fast Friday July 31st, 2009

by , July 31st, 2009 at 11:57 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fast Friday July 31st, 2009

Today's my Dads 75th birthday

13th FINA World Championships 2009 - Roma (Italy) are going on
    Day 6 finals begin at noon EST / 11 central
    Watch it on Universal Sports

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM
    6:00 - 7:30
    whiteny Coached
    Garrison pool

Fast Friday

Warm-up
    1200 choice loosen up or until 6:30

Main Set
    40 x 50
    1 - 20 swim free pick 1 pace and try to hold the whole time
    4 @ 1:05 right into
    4 @ 1:00
    4 @ :55
    4 @ :50
    4 @ :45
    (wear fins if needed to make the interval)
    held 32's & 3's on most,
    34's & 5's on last 2 rounds 31 on last,

100 easy

21 - 40 kick same way
    4 @ 1:15
    4 @ 1:10
    4 @ 1:05
    4 @ 1:00
    4 @ :55
    pick 1 pace and hold (wear fins only if needed)
    dolphin kicked no board on side
    held 40's - 43's

100 easy

assigned 400 free pull DPS under 35 strokes per 50
    did 300 free

50 fly FAST roll dive off side
    went 27.0

100 easy

NEXT MEET

looking for a couple SCM Meets in Oct Nov or Dec, we'll see, want a fast pool & a big meet to provide more rest between events

Updated July 31st, 2009 at 12:03 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. 6 Days to Go!!!

by , July 31st, 2009 at 11:36 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Friday 7/31/09
    SCM, Solo

Today was a little prep work for the 200 free I'll swim in the 800 relay next week.

Warmup
    300 free and back
    200 kick on back, dolphin and flutter
    200 IM drill

12 x 25 choice on :45 alt. drill, build
    (did 4 each, fly-back-free)
    100 easy

swim 3 x 200 free on 5:00 as follows:
    #1 work into and out of the turns, keeping the rest nice and smooth
    #2 25 pace (about 85%), 25 easy, really working the first half of the faster 25s to get some momentum into the length
    #3 descend by 50, starting out nice and easy and making that last 50 really fast

(#1 - 3:00, #2 - 2:56, #3 - 2:50)

swim 8 x 25 choice on :45: #3, 5, and 8 fast
    (did 1-3 fly, 4-5 back, 6-8 free)

swim down
    400 free and back by 100's

Total: 2300 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Thu jul 30th arrived 55 minutes late

by , July 31st, 2009 at 11:08 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Jul 30th, 2009

woke up at 6:08, to get to 6:00 am practice on time I need to leave my house at 5:15
    so I missed an hour and caught the last 30 minutes, but something is always better than nothing, even if it isn't much

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM
    6:00 - 7:30
    whiteny Coached
    Garrison pool
    arrived around 6:55

Warm-up
    missed

Main Set

Thu 7/30
    Warm-up
    200 free/100 IM x 4=1200

Main Set
    assigned 4 x 50 back(25 strong/25 kick) rest :20
    did: 200 free

assigned: 400 free swim with fins build by 100's rest :30
    did: 400 fr

4 x 50 breast(25 strong/25 kick) rest :20

400 free kick with fins negative split rest :30

4 x 50 free(25 strong/25 kick) rest :20

100 easy

NEXT MEET

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Aaaaagggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Another week out of the water...but hopefully this will be the last for a while. Had my right foot cut on to fix another ingrown toenail... Have had problems with this for years and wanted it fixed permanently...it is now!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Friday 7/31 - Just don't know if I got this right

by , July 31st, 2009 at 08:01 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Seemed rather slow but had a good stroke. The Fly felt good and strong everything else yuck! My Breaststroke feels like it has fallen apart.

10X100 @ 1:55 Free no speed to this

200 Breast kick
    300 Free kick w/fins
    500 kick w/fins as 50Fly/50Back

5x100 @ 2:15 IM

200 Free pull w/bouy EZ
    4x25 @ 1:00 Free SPRINT could only hold :19 on these yuck too slow
    200 Free EZ

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Thursday Swim

by , July 31st, 2009 at 12:26 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Tonight was LCM at FPAC with the Nasti's.
    The taper workout was 1,900 meters so I did a little more to try and feel good.
    Here's the workout:

*600 free warm-up swim
    *4 X 100 on 2:15 (drill/swim/build speed/sprint) divided into 25's.
    *200 otter kick w/fins on back.
    *200 ez pull with paddles
    *5 X 50 on 1:30 (start in center of pool and work on turns.
    *2 X 50 sprint w/start from block
    *150 cool-down swim
    *200 free swim
    *200 IM swim
    *200 flutter kick half prone, half supine
    *2 X 50 Fly (rest :30 inbetween)
    2,600 LCM

-I've got poison ivy all over arms and some on legs. One really fat gooey patch is directly on top of a big scar on my left arm. It itched so bad last night that I finally got up around 2:30 am and read a book till 5:00 am.
    -My youngest daughter bought me a new speedo while in Florida with her Dad. It has a heart and says "I (heart) swimming. She makes fun of me cause I like to swim and thought the suit was perfect for me. I'll wear it alot and really look like a dork for sure!
    -Coaching Question- I've never participated in a 5 day meet. I really like the 1,500 and it's on the last day of the meet. (Monday) I swim 1 event per day except relay day when I do 4 events. QUESTION: I feel like I should be doing some type of decent workout Thurs. through Saturday in order to hold form for the 1,500. It just seems like all that rest would cause de-conditioning or somehow be counterproductive to a good swim on Monday. I need advice and a plan of attack!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. A busy week!

by , July 30th, 2009 at 11:13 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    On Monday, when I did my B-70 experiment, got in about 1,000 yards of swimming. Went to the yoga class that night.

Tuesday, I didn't have time to do anything. Was busy preparing the final lecture and the final exam for my business law class. Also busy preparing for the swim meet my team had today.

Wednesday was a frustrating day. Went to swim at the Y. Had a bozo walk across my lane on purpose and harrass the lifeguard about leaving in too many lanes during family swim. I don't have much patience for 40 year old men that belittle 16 year old girls who are trying to help out the lap swimmers. I got in his face and told him that he didn't need to speak to the lifeguard that way. He blew up and went upstairs to complain, saying that the lifeguards ganged up on him. I think he thought I was a lifeguard. Glad he went on home.

All of this cut into my workout time, so ended up only getting in about 1500. Took a quick run later in the evening - an easy 3.7 miles. Ran at a really slow pace - 10 minute miles.

This morning, got up and made it down to the Y for the 5:30 lap swim. Things are much more peaceful then. When I get back to regular swim training after Nationals, as much as I despise training in the morning, I may resort to the 5:30 workouts to avoid bozos. Got in 2000 yards. Lots of fin work and shooters.

My swim coaching is over for the summer and the only thing I have left to do on the busines law class is to give the final exam on Monday. I now feel like I can start to relax.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Thursday, July 30

by , July 30th, 2009 at 05:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Dragged myself to the gym to do RC exercises today. Didn't want to leave it until the evening for fear of taper induced sloth and ennui.

RC:

external and internal rotators on cable machine, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    seated straight arm dips, 2 x 25
    3 point arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15
    some other damn exercise I don't know the name of but has a chopping motion

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    150 fly drills

8 x 25 UW shooters on back

50 EZ

Speed work:

5 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

1 x 50 backstroke AFAP w/fins
    went 24ish

100 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

50 EZ

1 x 100 backstroke AFAP w/fins
    went 53.5-54ish. my fastest in practice.

100 EZ

Total: 2000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally! A break from the frenzy of my life is upon me. Mr. Fort is leaving tomorrow am for a family thing in Syracuse NY. He is taking Fort Son (bribed with a trip to Cornell to meet the crew coach) and Lil lil Fort. I have Mini for All Stars on Saturday, but then she is leaving for a week at the beach with some family friends that night. I forsee being able to sit on my ass and eat bon bons.

Lost my sleep mojo some last night. Little one woke up at 3:30 am and I had trouble falling back to sleep. Still hopeful for max sleep tonight.

BTW, I did faithfully take melatonin for 4+ months like Dr. Miller advised. It did not do one damn thing for me! As is typical for me, I've tried many many things to get a good night sleep. Gawd, getting old sucks!

Starting to get excited for Nats. Need to shift into "straight vicious" mode according to my son.

Looking forward to seeing everyone! Really looking forward to my evilstroke leg on the mixed medley relay too. hahaha. Also looking forward to resuming running as my bod feels like a blob of gelatinous goo without it. Just another reason for full body suits!

Updated July 30th, 2009 at 06:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  18. I <3 Taper

by , July 30th, 2009 at 11:35 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    7/30/09

SCM, Solo

I got a massage yesterday and was a little sore today so the workout was very easy, mostly recovery stuff.

Warmup
    300 free and back
    200 kick on back, fly/flutter by 50's
    6 x 25 on 45; odds h/e, evens e/h
    50 easy

3 x 100 w/15 sec. rest drill/build by 50
    the last 10 yards of the 50 pretty fast
    (did 1 each, fly-back-free)
    50 easy

3x around off blocks: start, fast breakout, easy to the wall
    (did 1 each fly-back-free)
    (My back starts are feeling really good. And the age group coach says they're looking pretty good too.)

Swim down
    did 600, a mix of 200 back and 400 free

Total: 1600 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Thursday 7/30 - I hope my muscles recover soon

by , July 30th, 2009 at 07:40 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My muscles are still hurting some and I am going for a deep tissue massage today. My last one before Nat's. I know it takes me 3 days to flush out all the junk from my muscles when I do this so this is just about right.

I tried to push alittle but just couldn't move it seems. Trust your taper, trust your taper, trust your taper....

5x200 @ 4:00 Free not particularly fast holding about 3:30's

500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 50 moderate
    5x100 @ :10R Back drills w/fins

5x100 @ 2:00 Free 30 meter sprints from 15 meter mark into and out of turn rest easy, held 1:46's did not feel strong here
    5x100 @ 2:30 very relaxed alt 50Free/50Back

Total 3000 meters

The massage was great today, just what I needed. Tonight we did about 1000 yards of drill work. Nothing hard just light easy drilling

Updated July 30th, 2009 at 09:38 PM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. A little Wednesday workout

by , July 30th, 2009 at 01:46 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol Masters
    Coach Janine

Warm up - 350 mostly FR.

Pace

10x50 FR on 1:00 (held :34, some :32/:33)
    Kick
    Kick Wars 5x ( Two swimmers kick toward each other with boards held like shields, then collide and try to move your opponent backwards, stopping after 1 minute from beginning)
    Pyramid
    50 FR
    100 FR
    200 FR
    200 BK
    100 BK
    50 BK (did really slow on these, had to move over so Dwight and Dr. Bob could pass)
    Drill
    3x50 FR sculling with head up.

100 W/D

2125 SCY

There has been a lot of newcomers (yea!) but it slows the coach down from keeping us busy. I'm fortunate that Dwayne and Dr. Bob have been getting faster, its starting to get me out of my slump.

Updated August 31st, 2009 at 11:23 AM by EricOrca

Categories
    Uncategorized