View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Sunday, June 28

by , June 28th, 2009 at 06:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Weights:

bench press, 70 x 1 x 4, 80 x 3 x 8
    low row on machine, 100 x 1 x 10, 110 x 1 x 10, 120 x 1 x 10
    alternating hammers, 20 x 2 x 30
    ab machine, 100 x 1 x 15, 110 x 1 x 14, 120 x 1 x 15, 130 x 1 x 15, 140 x 1 x 10
    back extensions w/10 lb plate overhead, 2 x 15
    forward lunges w/20 lb weights, 2 x 20
    squat swing w/25 lb plate, 1 x 15 (this caused a twinge in the left scapular area, so I stopped)

external rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    seated straight arm dips for RC, 60 x 2 x 25
    prone scapular scrunches w/hand weights and elevated feet, 2 x 25
    arm extensions, 3 x 3 x 15 (front, V, side)

10 minutes stretching

20 minutes on ellipse machine

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Very short swim. Really exhausted from lack of sleep and misadventures of last night (see below). Focused solely on technique, no energy for any hard sets or fast swimming on my own.

Warm up:

600 variety swim, kick, drill

Technique set:

32 x 25s, done as

16 x 25, 2 x through:

1-4 UW shooters (scraped bottom a few times)
    5-8 easy speed fly, focusing on DPS and breakouts
    9-12 backstroke, focusing on breakouts
    13-16 breaststroke, focusing on pullout and breakout

100 C/D

Total: 1500 meters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not such a great night. Shortly after 9:00 pm, Mr. Fort gashed his calf muscle on some broken glass and I had to rush him to the ER. No nerve damage or trip to the OR, but 20 stitches. He won't be able to do anything for 2 weeks and can't run for perhaps 2 months depending on how it heals (can bike sooner, however). He is worse than me; he may need anti-depressants to combat the exercise deprivation. We didn't get home from the ER until 3:00 am. That's the third night in a row of going to sleep in the wee hours for me. I've been in a bit of a sleep deprived daze. Nothing compared to Mr. Fort's plight, but enough to keep me from being able to do any hard aerobic conditioning or speed work. Hopefully, I can catch up on sleep this week.

Still feel like I got in a decent week of training after my wasteful tapering: 5 swims (14,300 meters), 4 gym sessions, 3 bikes and a couple very short run/ellipse sessions.

Food:

Food front had been pretty good the last few days. Eaten plenty of lean meat, fish, veggies, salads, fruit etc. I haven't eaten a proper breakfast in the last couple days, as I've had to dash out of the house. That is NOT a good thing.

Kate Ziegler:

Here's an article from yesterday's paper on Kate Ziegler revealing that she was "burned out" by the Olympics.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062604005.html

I've heard a rumor that she may join another team. A couple of the faster guys she trains with on The Fish are heading to college next year and she might be without training partners ... Perhaps she could use a change of venue, much like Hoff did?

Updated June 28th, 2009 at 07:29 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Ellipse Machine
  2. Saturday, June 27

by , June 27th, 2009 at 07:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Run:

2 mile warm up run on the treadmill.

Weights/dryland:

Hammer hi row, 140 x 1 x 4, 160 x 1 x 4, 180 x 3 x 8
    goblet squat, 60 x 2 x 15
    rear delt fly, 40 x 1 x 4, 55 x 1 x 4, 70 x 3 x 10
    leg press, 330 x 3 x 10
    elevated crunches w/med ball, 3 x 25
    push ups, 2 x 25
    dead bug on bosu, 2 x 25
    hanging ab crunches, 2 x 15
    3 position arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15

(I know I am forgetting something ...)

Saw an unusual sight at a summer league meet today in the girls 8 & U 100 free relay. The girls swimming the first and second leg on our relay both took off at the gun and had a head on collision mid pool. Ouch! I felt really bad for the girl going second. Had I been stroke & turning there, I probably would have held her up or told her it wasn't her turn.

On another note, my usually swimming averse Lil Fort uttered the words, "I love breaststroke." lol

On the backstroke turn DQ front, there was small squabble about a child who turned onto his stomach but touched the wall first with his hand and then executed a flip turn. Under Wolfy's "the continuous turning action stops upon the touch at the wall," is this a DQ or not?

Big week ahead -- summer league meets on Monday, Friday and Saturday. Friday is the Annual Vienna Relays where 8 of the swim teams in our town get together and duke it out with all kinds of relays -- free, medley, all the strokes, mixed boys and girls and mixed ages. Great fun.

Updated June 28th, 2009 at 10:29 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running
  3. Today is Saturday

by , June 27th, 2009 at 06:14 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    It's still hot in Indiana! Today was another snot water swim. I did 3,100 lcm of slow swimming today. I claimed I was working on evf; it's easy(and almost visual) to grab thick snot water so it made sense to me.
    Tomorrow I'm doing a lake swim. If I'm not doing some type of semi-beneficial intervals I might as well go to Morse and just swim for 90 minutes. We always have good breakfasts on Dick's deck when we're done so I guess I'm there.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. back in austin trained with longhorn

by , June 27th, 2009 at 02:48 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat Jun 27th, 2009

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy
    7:30 - 9:00
    Whitney Coached
    TSC diving well
    swam with Chris, Brad, & Larry

Warm Up SCY
    assigned: 3 x 300
    did: 400 free

Main SET

4 x 150 on 2:10
    done 75 fr 75 IM

4 x 125 on 1:40
    done 100 fr 25 fl

4 x 100 on 1:20
    done 75 fr 25 bk

4 x 75 on 1:10
    done 50 fr 25 br

4 x 50 on :50
    done with 3 breaths

4 x 25 SDK fast on 30

assigned 3 x 300 with fins
    did 2 x 250 with out fines

3 x 300 fr
    done 100 fr aerobic 100 fr strong 100 fr aerobic

NEXT MEET

USMS South Central Zone Long Course Championship Meet
    Fri July 18 - 19 2009
    Woodlands, TX
    Meet Entry Form
    Who's coming
    20 Days away
    Entered the following events

Saturday
    1500 fr
    50 fl
    100 fr
    50 bk
    200 IM

Sunday
    400 IM
    50 Br
    200 FR
    100 BK
    50 FR

Friday July 17th Aerosmith is playing with ZZ Top at the
    Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion in the Woodlands
    Tickets

Updated June 29th, 2009 at 02:20 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Wed Thu & Fri

by , June 27th, 2009 at 02:33 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Thu & Fri

Jersey City
    Westin on Washington
    has a indoor 20 yard pool

swam 15 to 20 minutes each day
    easy free, one arm fly, SDK & fly kick on side

did what I call "keepin the feel"

Updated June 27th, 2009 at 02:54 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Saturday 6/27 - Relaxing stroke work

by , June 27th, 2009 at 01:25 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today we had a relaxing day at the Y. The girls and I had a nice swim and worked on our normal drills so not much yardage just quality.

500 Free
    10x25 Fly drills last 2 swim
    10x25 Back drills last 2 swim
    10x25 Free drills last 2 swim
    10x25 Breast drills last 2 swim
    100 Free

Total 1600 yards

Updated November 26th, 2009 at 05:33 PM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. 6/27 Bike and Swim

by , June 27th, 2009 at 01:14 PM (FREEDom)
    7am bike ride, first time at San Antonio, Florida, that is. "San Ann" is known for its hills. Yes, there are hills in Florida if you know where to look. Its about a 30 min drive from my house.

I was supposed to meet a tri buddy Mark there to show the route, but he never showed. I did see some other friends Merit and Annie, and was going to ride with them but they were departing at 7:30am, so we hooked up with some other guys.... who were also waiting for Mark. So we took off. Rode with Stan, Phil, Dave, and Sam, some other tri guys around my age.

Very nice 39mi ride, with some nice hills. I did not push it too hard since I had not ridden since early in the month, and did not know what was in store with the hills. In the few (two) times I've ridden hills, I seem to do pretty well and catch the other riders if they get ahead. I guess I cash in on my swimming conditioning. Nice scenery not too much traffic. Definitely will want to make San Ann a regular bike ride. Its much different than the rides closer to the house.

10:45 am or so...
    After eating a protein bar, bananna, and downing some more Gatorade, lets go for a swim! Saturday masters practices is 10am, so I was late. Just warmed up some in whatever set we were doing, then swam some:

4 x 75 on 1:15 swim. I mostly drilled these, legs were still recovering... I mostly felt it on the walls as my push was even less than the usual pitiful push I have.
    4 x 75 drill
    4 x 100 on 1:20 I pulled/paddle these
    Started next set, but lightning/thunder nearby, so that was it.

I was planning on staying late and making up what I missed. I promise!
    Tags: bike
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Friday June 26

by , June 26th, 2009 at 11:39 PM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Ever since Saturday, Ive been lacking enough sleep, since I work nights 4x10, its a challenge to balance work, workouts and at home responsibilities (we own horses, goats, chickens etc..) This past week was tough and I only had one tough workout, except for the 10x100 set on Wednesday which was tough because of lack of sleep.
    Like my road bike has a spider web on it,which is unheard of, I used to keep that bike spotless, tuned and tires pumped.

Today I wanted to get in 2 workouts, try to balance them so I can take advantage of the early morning after I get off work and feed the animals.

Unfortunately I had to drive to Sacramento to drop off my old laptop, since I got "lease rolled". BTW, The new Dell E6400 sucks, performs ok, but the screen is too dull.Anyways I didn't get enough rest to make it to my Masters practice this afternoon.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Thursday - Lords Gym
    Partial Dryland-Weight routine (young girls were hogging the leg machines, what else?)
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Friday Morning UMHS - Solo

Warm 200, 4x50 K w/ snorkel

(Set 1 from Jacki Hirsty)
    Set 1
    300 - 3 x (25Kick / 25 Drill / 50 Swim) FR 5:00
    150 - 2x(25 Kick / 25 Drill / 50 Swim) Fly 2:40
    150 - 2x(25 Kick / 25 Drill / 50 Swim) BK 2:40
    150 - 2x(25 Kick / 25 Drill / 50 Swim)
    BR 2:40
    Set 2
    4x75 FR 1:10 (Did under :59)
    4x50 BK 1:00 (kept at :40)
    2x100 FR with snorkel, practice flip turns with it
    100 EZ try to do perfect form in slow-mo

200 cool

2150 SCY

Snorkel fun- It really does constrict airflow! Im breathing so hard Im pulling bits of water across the check-valve. When doing flip turns, I have to consciencely hold my breath and wait until I surface before blowing out the air through the device to expel the water. This is difficult since Im (well most swimmers) am used to letting air out while turning to keep water out of my nasal passages.

For the past few months Ive been trying to implement the "anchor and vault over" technique . This takes more effort, its different from my normal surfer stroke which is inefficient, but easier (from my point of view, of coarse).
    Today I tried it on one of my 75's and got a :47. However I was out of breath due to being really sore.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Friday Swim Workout

by , June 26th, 2009 at 08:27 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Another busy day, so just grabbed a quick swim workout of 2000 SCM.

400 Reverse IM to warm-up (one-arm fly)

8 x 100 Free on 1:30

300 kick with fins (100 back kick,

100 dolphin on back, 100 kick on side)

6 x 25 on :30
    #1 - 2 strokes fly, free
    #2 - 4 strokes fly, free
    #3 - 6 strokes fly, free
    #4 - 8 strokes fly, free
    #5 - full stroke fly
    #6 - full stroke fly

6 x 25 on :30
    #1 - full stroke fly
    #2 - full stroke fly
    #3 - 8 strokes, free
    #4 - 6 strokes, free
    #5 - 4 strokes, free
    #6 - 2 strokes, free

4 x 25 back AFAP on 1:00

100 easy

2000 SCM
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. I'm Still Sweating on Friday!

by , June 26th, 2009 at 07:09 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    It is disgustingly hot here!
    I had to run 540 kids through a long jump game for 3 hours this morning. My #50 sunscreen melted off my face in 12 minutes and rendered me blind and drippy-nosed for the rest of the day. I needed some kleenex or at least a towel; finally I just used gauze wrap from the first-aid kit and scrap paper from my teacher bag. I am sooooo glad to be done with that!
    After exporting my grades I headed over to LA Fitness and swam in water with a decent temp (80) and had a solid workout. Tomorrow we are doing 100's to failure in that snot hot water. I am going to wear my fins (I never wear fins to swim and it will make the workout totally pointless for comparison purposes). Hopefully their is a cold front in our short-term future!
    Here's today's solo swim:

1) 800 Free warm-up swim
    2) 2 X 250 Free on 4:00 (tight)
    3) 4 X 125 IM Roll on 2:30
    4) 5 X 100 Free on 1:50
    5) 4 X (100 IM Swim-rest 15 sec then do 4 X 25 on :30 in IM order) breaststroke was a :45 interval.
    3.100 SCM my vacation starts today!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Depressing Blog You Probably Shouldn't Read

by , June 26th, 2009 at 04:27 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    I have had a somewhat dispiriting week.

The somewhat, on retrospect, should be edited out.

The above two sentences pretty much describe things in a "show don't tell" way--i.e., lots of cognitive verbigeration leading to naught, only ever-thickening entanglements--what my brain has begun to do to me.

My chief areas of concern:

• My job and prospects to continue holding onto it, and thus continuing to be able to earn almost half of what we spend each month, and by so doing slowing down--stopping is impossible!--the descent into financial ruin;

• The health care insurance dilemma, from which I spent all day yesterday documenting my attempts to extricate myself, all strategies stymied and leading nowhere

• The idea that not only will I fail to preserve what I have inherited and pass this on to my sons, but I will quite likely have exhausted it all well before the Great Resting Reward claims me, saddling them with debts

• Circling back to work, the inability to come up with an idea or even an approach that will satisfy my editor in his demands for an impossible and shifting needle hole for me to thread, and meanwhile, the clock ticks down on my remaining contract, for which two stories are due, and the likelihood of even selecting one by then is looking more and more uncertain

• The IRS audit final tally and its promise to break my back

• The real estate empire, such as our collection of unrented slum properties has become, and its bills that demand payment from various municipalities and school districts, this regardless of whether or not we can collect even a pittance of the expenses involved

Against this backdrop of impotence and frustration and the urge to do something, anything, but finding that no action leads anywhere but to a downwards spiraling direction, like a screw being permanently stuck in wood so hard that the screw, once implanted, can never be removed, I decided this morning to do the one thing that has given me some comfort in the past: i.e., write something morbidly amusing that summons up this nasty bit of psychic territory in which I find myself waylaid--amusing to me, if not to anyone else, with perhaps just a hint of my hero, Franz Kafka, lurking in the periphery.

And so I tried my best to write a short semi-allegory: the story of how a fellow like you, feeling entirely well, untroubled by woe of any sort, might endure a fleeting sense of nausea, and when such a sensation first arises, you dismiss it, at least at first, as a trifle; a glitch, one of those myriad little mistakes that occur randomly and transiently in any organism as complex as you are--nothing to it, really!; how it nevertheless comes back a few moments later, a wee bit stronger and more enduring, at which point it crosses your mind that perhaps you could be getting sick to your stomach--a still largely ridiculous thought, of course! the stuff of overly dramatic hypochondriacs; and how once again you dismiss the wavelet of nausea, and once again it builds, forcing you to question your recent meals and encounters with Person X or Person Y who may, without you even knowing it fully, upset you; and it is at this point that you realize that you have begun to sweat a little, despite the chill in the air, and that the saliva has started to run more freely in your mouth, as if preparing for something, and the real fear you have been trying to ignore--that you may eventually end up vomiting, that most revolting and unpleasant of acts--oh the nastiness of acidic bile in your throat and mouth and nostrils, the smell of it!--that this real and unsettling fear is now positively asserting itself, refusing to remain under the rug and out of mind; and you realize with a sudden almost frightening urgency that you cannot let this happen;

and thus, from a complete denial to begrudging acceptance that vomiting is a possibility, but only if you fail to take immediate measures to stop the whole process before it can progress further--easy enough precautions, to be sure, like the quick and shallow inhalation and exhalation of tiny breaths, panting, really, like a queasy dog, and the keeping of your thoughts entirely neutral, focusing on the crisp dry air of windswept mountainscapes, or fields of mint; but then, of course, such thoughts are bullied away by images you cannot stop--the vaguely off-color fish roll you ate earlier and has become a prime suspect for your poisoning, or more fanciful images of your own unconscious helpless fantasizing, undercooked pork sundaes, say, ladled over with the foul-smelling juice in the supermarket packaging, the expiration date long since past; and try as you might to steer your thoughts away, your mouth is overflowing with saliva, and your pores are ejaculating sweat, and you find yourself heading to the bathroom, where you cough, and heave, and mercifully--nothing! And for one final moment, you take delusional comfort in the fact that this time, you have somehow managed to stave off your fate, that your life will not, after all, be turned on its head in this most revolting of directions, that you will not be throwing up; but then your stomach rolls over again, and your abdominal walls constrict with a muscularity you did not know they were capable of, and the revulsion comes in torrents, fouling and contaminating everything in its path, turning your once antiseptic life into something you would have sworn, just an hour earlier, was unrecognizably unnatural but is, in fact, the most natural thing in the world. In such a moment you realize that this has always been your fate, that it has been your preordained destination forever, and that regardless of what you may once have considered your raison d'etre, it is here, in the mix of surrender and relief and ineradicable stench, you have always been fated to end up.

But somehow, when I went to save my first version of my little allegory, the good version, unlike the one I have ham-handedly attempted to reconstruct above from my burned out brain's late-Friday capacity for memory, it got accidentally erased on my computer and is lost forever.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Friday, June 26

by , June 26th, 2009 at 03:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drove to Mason for a LC workout with my new monofin. Verdict: Still hate it. It's too long, seems to hit the quads most (instead of the glutes and core), and only feels natural underwater. Hate kicking at the surface with it. I'm hoping I can exchange it for the Finis Shooter MF, which I previously used.

Didn't feel too hot today anyway. I got home from picking up Mini Fort at the airport at about 1:30 am -- late even for night owls. Had to get up early. After a triple yesterday, I needed more sleep. So just did the short workout below and called it a day.

Got an email and voicemail from swimoutlet saying they would refund me entirely for the exploding LZR. I haven't tried the Sprinter suit yet, but I likely will send it back as it's supposed to be a 2010 suit. And who knows what 2010 will bring? I don't really know what to make of the suits (Adidas, Arena X-Glide, Jaked) that are supposed to work on the CNS. I wish FINA had just drawn a line with LZR and B70 for awhile and thought through the science of it all. I know line drawing can be difficult -- I believe Chris alluded to this on the DF -- but that's what most laws & regulations are.

Swim/LCM/Solo:

300 swim
    200 kick

4 x 100 MF kick @ 1:45

4 x 100 100 fly drill w/MF @ 2:00

4 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:00

5 x (50 UW shooter w/MF + 50 EZ)

100 C/D

Total: 2300 meters

Following the mention of the paleolithic diet, I found this on google, which lists the dos & don'ts:

http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

I'm not a huge fan of root vegetables myself ... It looks too difficult to follow and faddy to me. Never knew beans were so bad ...

Swim camp breaststroke tip:

To make sure your kick is correct, hop in the pool and go to the wall. Put your hips against the wall, and kick. Hips can't leave the wall. If they do or if your knees what to jut forward, you're doing it incorrectly.

Updated June 26th, 2009 at 05:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Friday, 6/26/09

by , June 26th, 2009 at 12:09 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

400 swim free,
    (This felt real good, but I was counting strokes and am a bit concerned that
    my SPL is at 19 or 20. It should be lower than that, shouldn't it?)

swim 4 x 50 back (make the interval) on 55
    (did these at 46-47)

400 pull alt. 100 free/100 back (no paddles)

swim 4 x 50 free (make the interval) on 50
    (did these at 42-43)

400 kick with fins alt. 100 w/board/100 on back (hold the streamlines)

4 x 50 kick w/MF on back on 1:00 desc. 1-4
    (went 41 ->35)

200 choice easy

swim 16 x 25 on 40 in sets of 4 (do 4 in a row of each stroke, IM order):
    #1: fast breakout, easy to wall
    #2: fast finish
    #3-4 easy

100 choice swim down

Total: 2500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. 6/26/2009 LCM 5:30am

by , June 26th, 2009 at 08:33 AM (FREEDom)
    Fast Friday! I'm trying to have some fast swims on Fridays practices. I'm applying the theory if you want to swim fast, then, swim fast! It's not something I'm acustomed to, since most of my swimming career in HS, college, and even masters the emphasis has been more on yardage and less on high quality swimming.

Swam with Eduardo, Big Mike, George, and Pam.

I was inspired from Ande's 6/19/2009 workout.

Warm Up LCM
    15 minutes choice

50 FR FAST for time from the blocks
    went about 29

20 x 50 fr on 1:15
    odds easy
    evens: FR fast from a dive 6
    Try to be within 3 seconds of the first fast 50
    Went 30 - 32s, got progressively harder and slower.

50 easy

100 FR fast from a dive for time

200 easy

6 x 100 fr fast from a dive on 2:30
    Try to be within 5 seconds of the first fast 100
    1:08 on the first one. 1:10s - 1:12s on most of them, but crashed on #5 with a 1:15. These were brutal. Each one got progressively tougher, and I'd start locking up about 10M sooner on each one. On the last one, I was just trying to finish the 2nd 50 and make sure I could get out on my own. I was tired afterwords, and it was a different tired than I usually have from a more traditional workout. I'm glad I'm working from home today... I hope I can stay awake on my conference calls.

300 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Friday 6/26 - A kick focus today

by , June 26th, 2009 at 08:22 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Last night I spent about 10 minutes on each ear using apple cider vinegar in each ear and today I felt a lot better. I really didn't want today to become a kick only day.

But I do have to say kicking was my main focus on everything. This coming from someone who ALWAYS just drags her legs behind her.

400,300,200,100 @ :15R Free force a kick on the 300,200&100

500 Free kick w/board alt 50 EZ/50 Moderate this was to actually keep my head out of the water for alittle today
    500 Free kick w/board alt 50 Moderate/50 Fast this hurt on the fast ones

5x200 @ 4:00 Pull w/paddles alternate 100 Free/100 Back concentrate on grabbing the water especially on back

6x50 @ 1:00 Free paddle on rt arm 4 kicks on the paddle hand
    6x50 @ 1:00 Free paddle on lt arm 4 kicks on the paddle hand

400 EZ alt by 100 Free/back alt by 50 swim/drill

Total 4000 meters

This evening I only kicked 400 yards, while watching the girls and quietly assisting them with their workout. Sandra's mom timed the girls while I counted for them on a 1000 for time. They did great for already having swum 3000 yards at that point of the practice.

I love watching them swim.

Updated June 26th, 2009 at 08:17 PM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Still Hot in the City!

by , June 26th, 2009 at 12:21 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    The water was a smouldering 93 degrees in the FPAC pool tonight. I started my workout with good intentions but ended up with 2,700 LCM of slow sets of freestyle and some challenging "otter kick" sets. As much as I hate to otter kick I will admit it felt good to have my head and shoulders out of the water.
    Tomorrow I am finding a cold indoor LCM pool to workout in!

I am feeling a little melancholy about the deaths of Farrah Fawcett, Ed McMahon, and Michael Jackson.
    How many of you girls tried to duplicate Farrah's long, flipped back wild mane of hair? I spent countless hours and hundreds of cans of hairspray trying (unsuccessfully) to copy that iconic do!
    Michael Jackson's ""Thriller" album reminds me of my triathon days. At least 3 X a week I would go down in my pitch black basement, hop on my vetta trainer, and spin for an hour to the crazy and mostly up-beat "Thriller" music.
    Whether you loved or hated Michael you have to admit he was a crazy cool dancer! He was a pioneer in the music video era.
    Ed McMahon seemed to be on the tv everytime I turned it on. He was an ambassador of goodwill and hope(sweepstakes) to millions of people in America.

Tomorrow is the last day of summer school!
    I am ready for some FREE TIME! I have some major projects and several good books to keep me busy!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Quick Weight Workout

by , June 25th, 2009 at 11:47 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Quite a busy day, so just got in a short weight room workout:

Bench press: 2 sets of 90 x 10
    Lat pulldown: 2 sets of 150 x 10
    Military press: 2 sets of 60 x 10
    Pull-ups: 3 sets of 3
    Triceps press: 2 sets of 40 x 10
    Alt Hammer Curls: 2 sets of 15 x 10
    Hip adduction: 2 sets of 150 x 10
    Hip abduction: Couldn't get this in as an older gentleman with a cane was sitting on this machine and talking with his buddy. I didn't have the heart to ask him if I could work in.

Core work:
    100 bicycle crunches
    25 good morning darlings
    25 crunches with Swiss ball
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Triple, Thursday, June 25

by , June 25th, 2009 at 10:23 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Weights/Dryland:

standing lat pull down, 140 x 3 x 10
    tricep press, 50 x 1 x 10, 55 x 1 x 10
    dead lift, 110 x 2 x 10
    goblet squat, 50 x 3 x 15
    squat-pulls on bosu, 40 x 3 x 15
    (I was doing these on the flat side of the bosu and a trainer stopped me to say that they no longer allow people to do this as it's "too dangerous." So I did the last rep on the squishy side -- much easier.)
    twists w/bosu on cable machine, 40 x 2 x 15, each side
    bicep curl w/BB, 40 x 2 x 10
    kneeling crunch on cable machine, 75 x 3 x 15
    incline crunch w/med ball overhead, 2 x 25
    seated straight arm dips for RC, 60 x 2 x 25
    prone scapular scrunch w/elevated feet and hand weights, 2 x 25
    arm extensions (front, V, side), 3 x 3 x 15

Bike:

30 minutes on bike

Swim/LCM/Team:

Made it to another team practice tonight. Dragged Lil Fort along, as Fort Son had a date and Mr. Fort and Mini Fort were flying home from work/camp.

Warm up:

med ball throw w/partner for 1:00
    superman streamlines w/elevated feet, 2 x 25
    crunches, 1 x 25

4 x through:

100 swim
    50 kick
    100 swim
    50 drill

med ball twist w/partner 1:00
    crunches w/med ball, 1 x 25

Main sets:

8 x 50 kick w/fins @ 1:00, middle 15 meters fast, 2 free + 2 other, repeat
    (I went pretty fast on all of them, between 31-33.)

50 EZ

6 x 250 done as:

100 kick, 50 drill, 50 swim, 50 FAST
    4 IM order, 2 choice

I used fins and led the lane. I can't do LC fly without fins, so I just kept them on so as not to upset the order in the lane. As a result, I took a break of 10-15 seconds after each 200 before I went my last fast 50. Aside from the first one, I did all the fast 50s backstroke. Went 32-33 on the first 4 and 31 on the last one. The 100 fly on the first 250 was dreadful. I don't have a slow gear in fly. Felt like I was drowning when I tried to go easy on the "50 swim" portion.

50 EZ

8 x 50 swim @ 1:20, done as:

2 x through:

#1 25 fast from dive, 25 EZ
    #2 25 EZ, 25 fast
    #3 50 fast from dive (We only had two lanes to dive from and were nowhere near the prescribed 1:20 interval.)
    #4 50 EZ

I did #1, 2, 5, 6 fast 25 UW kicks + 25 EZ. I missed the first fast 50, as I had to talk to Lil Fort for a minute. Did the last one fly w/fins from a dive off the side and went a 27 or so.

100 C/D

Total: 3300 meters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Irie's Backstroke Technique:

I had been reading the recent posts in the Fun & Fast thread discussing Irie's backstroke technique with interest. Kirk Nelson described his slightly tucked head position and arched back as being like the bow of a boat. I tried this technique during warm up today. It does feel slightly faster, although unnatural to have the chin tucked in. I notice in the youtube video that Irie was wearing only a leg skin though. I wonder if arching your back would work as well with a full body suit? Most tech suits don't cling to your body and follow the arch as you arch; they tend to gap away from the lower back and absorb air and/or water. Something to think about ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Food:

Breakfast: omelet w/cheese, tomato & bacon, strawberries, raspberries
    Snack: G2, cherries
    Lunch: salad with arugula, basil, avocado, tomatoes, flax seeds, peppers, currants
    Dinner: salmon, veggies sauteed in olive oil and garlic
    Post swim: G2, balance bar, 1 pancake

I think I ate something else ... can't remember. I also noticed today when I was checking on the veggy garden (deer recently killed half my tomato plants) that Mr. Fort planted spearmint. What does one do with spearmint?

Now I'm off to make pancakes for the swim team breakfast and team pictures festivities tomorrow. No, I will not eat them! lol

Updated June 25th, 2009 at 11:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning
  19. 6/25 SCY 6:30PM

by , June 25th, 2009 at 09:14 PM (FREEDom)
    Swim practice got stormed out. That's the problem with evening practices in the summer in FL, and why I like swimming early in the summer.
    Talked to coach Beth about her new puppy. Sounds like she's enjoying "Brooklyn".

I went to the gym, and stretched pretty good for about 30 minutes. Need to do more of that, and I will when I cut back on weights.

The TVs at the gym (I usually do weights at another Y that's a little closer to home, and swim at this one with the 50M pool) were on in the weight room. One TV was all about Farrah Fawcett passing away. One right next to it was all about Michael Jackson. I guess they had not tuned into the Ed McMahon channel.

When I finished up, I did see Mike and Matt swimming, so I guess they opened the pool earlier than I expected. Oh well, I'll swim LCM in the morning.

I entered the St Pete LCM meet July 11 - 12. I'm swimming all the 50 -1500 free and 50 -200 back. Well, entered those events. They always have the 200 back right before the 200 free, which are two of my better events. And the 1500 is right before the 200 back, so I swim the first 3 events. Better train up for that. Entered 8 events, so I might be in the running for a high point towel. I wonder if I should enter 10 events to be sure ;-) I usually beat Ron C in most events, but he wins more towels by swimming 10 events.
  20. 6/25/2009 Dryland 6am

by , June 25th, 2009 at 09:00 PM (FREEDom)
    Been a couple of weeks since I've done weights due to my recent travels.
    Caught up with some of the early crowd at the Y... talked to Mark, Chris, Michael, and Kevin, which of course cut into some of my time.

Did my base routine.
    Cable cross machine:
    3 x 20 x 25lb shoulder abductor
    3 x 20 x 20 lb shoulder adductor
    3 x 15 x 50, 60 60 lb one arm pull downs
    2 x 20 x 120 twists

Legs
    3 x 30sec x 70 leg ext - just hold fully extended for each leg. My right knee does like a lot of pressure .
    3 x 15 x 90 lb leg curl
    3 x 20 x 210, 230, 250 leg press, saving my knees
    2 x 20 x 100 lb hip abductor
    2 x 20 x 100 lb hip adductor

2 x 2 min incline sit ups w/ 25 lb disc
    2 x 20 back raises, w/ 10 lb disc ea arm, alt raising left arm/right arm

Some stretching, but not as much as I should have, since I had some more talking.