View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. It was a dark and stormy morning...

by , February 27th, 2010 at 11:38 AM (FREEDom)
    The rain fell in torrents.. except when it didn't, when it was check by violent gusts of wind which swept up the pool (for it is in Tampa that our scene lies). rattling along the lane lines and turn flags, and fiercely agitating the hardy swimmers that struggled mightily against the storm.

Tampa today 50F and raining... Vancouver, BC, 46F. I think we can host the Winter Olympics here.

The water was nice. But getting out was miserable... cold rain, about 46F. My feet were numb by the time I got to the locker room. Time get some new flip-flops since my old ones blew out a couple of months ago. Warm shower felt great afterwards.

Warm up
    400 300 200 100

16 x 25 on :30 dr/sw by 25, IMO

5 x 200 on 2:30 fr swim w/ paddles
    200 easy

8 x 125 on 2:05 25 fr, 100 IM or choice (ba)

6 x 100 on 1:45 kick w/ fins

5 x 75 on 1:05 free swim
    5 x 75 on 1:20 non-free

300 warm down

Worked the 200s pretty good 2:10 > 2:08.

Glad I got this workout in. It is so easy to blow it off on bad weather days... as if I don't want to get wet. But once I get going, its fine. I know most of us have this block about swimming when its raining for some reason, as we all like it nice and sunny. We will have plenty of that... I can't wait. But in the mean time, the water is nice.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. 02-26-2010 Aquasol Rain workout

by , February 27th, 2010 at 12:26 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol - Heavy Rain

Coaches soaked...

Warm - 50FR, 2x100, 100BK, 100BR
    6x100FR on 1:30
    5x50 SDK - BK n/fins on 1:15
    3x50 IM order Fly/BK, Bk/BR, BR/FR on 1:00
    4x25 Fly on :45
    4x25 BK on :45
    (Seniors and age groupers decided to leave early)
    Cool 100

2050scy

Tonight I wasn't "on it" however my neck pinched nerve (cervical rediculitus) didn't seem to bother me much. I am improving in my fly, back and breast, but seem to be losing my 100FR speed, my 50FR is getting better.
    I admire our coaches, how they stand in the rain and keep the swimmers on task, mostly the kids. Our coach is now divided between the smaller age groupers and us, but it isn't noticeable. We still get a lot of personal attention and little stoke reminders called between intervals.
    If I had the money and time I would have structure built to shelter the starting area from the rain. Also the restrooms need benches and towel hooks. It wouldn't hurt to have a non-slip surface painted in too, I slipped on my foot and rammed my toes into a partition tonight! Maybe I can get some people together to at least build some benches and towel hook rail's!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. A final swim in the sunshine

I spent most of the day driving to my momís house in Alabama (where I store my Florida stuff) and lugging said stuff to and from my car. This handy gadgetis my new BFF.

So when I finally got to the pool this afternoon I was pretty tired, and felt mostly like stretching out and just wiggling around in the water. Hereís the teensy workout I did:

1000 warmup

5 x 100 FR -> BK pacmans @ 1:30

500 warmdown / scull / bask

Tomorrowís a travel day, so probably no swimming. Iím just hoping Delta will get me home without any flight cancellations, or other major drama!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Nutrition Ramblings, Friday, Feb. 26

by , February 26th, 2010 at 06:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I have the blahs today. Jimi believes this is because I am "inside a small [winter] box." I believe it due to the stress of raising girls. In light of the blahs, and partially and uncharacteristically paralyzed by them, I decided to take an off day. And forgive myself in advance for failing to stretch. In fact, after consulting my blog, I see that I haven't had a complete rest day since Feb. 8, so I am probably due. Tomorrow, I will back in the gym with my oldest daughter, who thinks after 2 visits, she already has muscles.

So, instead of discussing swimming or drylands, I will have a nice nutrition ramble.

Food Rules:

I read the next part of the Michael Pollan book.

1. Funny Rules:

"The whiter the bread, the sooner you'll die."

"Eating what stands on one leg is better than eating what stands on two leg which is even better than eating what stands on four legs."

"Avoid food products containing ingredients that a thrd grader cannot pronounce."

"Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper." (I've heard this one before. Epic fail for me.)

P90X also urges eating nothing 3 hours before sleeping. Here is their advice:

"Here at Beachbody, we're always drilling the "no eating for 3 hours before bedtime" rule into your head and, sure enough, it's important not to go to bed with undigested food in your stomach, especially carbohydrates and fat. So what about those nights when you're so hungry that if you don't eat, you know it will affect your sleep?

The answer is a protein shake. Usually, truly feeling hungry is a sign indicating a lot of muscle breakdown. When you have muscle breakdown you need protein, especially at night, which is when your muscles do most of their recovering. So if you are famished, a small protein shake with no added ingredients, like fruit or milk, will not only allow you to sleep but speed up your recovery process as well."

2. Fav Rules:

"Eat some foods that have been predigested by bacteria or fungi."

-- This is why I've begun taking probiotics. They help reduce allergic reactions, aid the function of the digestive and immune system and reduce inflammation.

"Have a glass of wine at dinner."

--"There is now considerable scientific benefits of alcohol ... People who drink moderately and regularly live longer and suffer considerably less heart disease than teetotalers ... Drinking some every day is better than drinking a lot of weekends."

3. Rule I'm ambivalent about:

"Be the kind of person who taken supplements and then skip the supplements"

Apparently, people who take supplements are healthier than those that don't, but not necessarily b/c of the supplements. However, he does note that nutrition becomes more important as you age and that you can develop specific nutritional deficiencies -- Vitamin D, Calcium, Vitamin B. Also, as we age, our need for antioxidants increases while our ability to absorb them declines. Since I've started with my supplement & antioxidant infused smoothies, I've been healthier. So I'm sticking with it, just like Geek.

WSJ Article:

There was an interesting article in the WSJ on Tuesday about evolution being responsible for obesity. Apparently, when we shifted from being hunter and gathers to agriculture, a carb rich diet became the norm and we grew tubbier.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...obesity+darwin

Some interesting speculation about procreating early and often being the driver of evolutionary change as well ...

And, boo hoo, Gatorade dropped Tiger Woods.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...NewsCollection. There was a hilarious article about him in www.theonion.com -- not really re-printable here. lol

Meets:

I've been uncharacteristically wishy washy about meets as well. I had finally decided to swim the 100 evil and 100 IM or 50 back at the Warrenton meet, and now I see it's the same weekend as PV Senior Champs.

Night Owl vs. Early Bird:

An interesting study to confirm we're different!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0623150621.htm

Updated February 26th, 2010 at 10:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Resumed Dryland

by , February 26th, 2010 at 05:40 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Back in the weight room today after being out for 4 weeks. Have to confess that I like being in the weight room as much as I like being in the pool. It's also a time where I can visit with some of my non-swimmer friends.

Warmed up with a 1 mile run at a 10 minute pace.

Bench press: 3 sets of 65 x 12 (forgot to do the needed warm-up set with just the bar)

Lat hi row: 3 sets of 100 x 12

Leg press: 3 sets of 130 x 12

Bicycles: 1 set of 50

Good morning darlings: 1 set of 50

Torso twists (also called broomstick twists): 3 sets of 30

Toe raises: 3 sets of 10

One of the yoga instructors told me that torso twists are really good for sacroiliac problems. He has problems from an accident he had as a child and says if he goes a day without yoga, his lower back gets really stiff. Wish I had more time to do more yoga. Maybe I can work it in somehow. I do think that no matter what, I've got to do some kind of activity everyday, even if it is just some torso twists.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Fry, Willy! -- Jim's Week in Review

by , February 26th, 2010 at 04:48 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Swam in with the my team today

by , February 26th, 2010 at 04:03 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Since the kids have states this weekend our pool was closed to the public but the older kids and masters were allowed to swim early.

500 Free
    400 IM drill
    300 Free Pull
    200 Kick
    100 Free

8x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & fins
    200 free finger tip drag

8x50@1:00 2 of each stroke
    200 Free catchup

20x25@:30 5 of each stroke

Total 3600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -02/27/10

by , February 26th, 2010 at 01:21 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    1 X 400 6:00
    4 X 50 1:00
    1 X 300 4:30
    4 X 50 :50
    1 X 200 3:00
    4 X 50 :45

1 X 200 kick 4:30
    2 X 100 kick 2:15
    4 X 50 kick*25 fast/25 easy* 1:15

9 X 50 1:05
    Alternate: 1 easy/1 build/1 fast

1 X 50
    2 X 25
    1 X 50
    Four times through, all at 100% effort.
    Intervals: Round 1: :40
    Round 2: :45
    Round 3: :50
    Round 4: :55
    Break between rounds.

20 X 25 :40
    Sprint 20 yards, no breath.
    1 minute break after #8 & #12.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

3850Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. FAST FRIDAY Feb 26th 2010

by , February 26th, 2010 at 09:50 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST FRIDAY Feb 26th 2010

Big 12 swimming championships

2010 Texas High School Swimming & Diving State Championships
    Friday, February 26
    Saturday, February 27, 2010

Subscribe to this Blog

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, diving well & main pool, championship set up for the high school state meet
    Whitney coached
    5:30 - 7:00
    swam with
    Mike, Todd, Ned, Doug, Larry, Erin, & Nate
    wore B70 full

warm up:
    in diving well with no blocks
    15 minutes choice
    did 50's fr on 40 to 45

Main Set

200 FR fast from a dive off side
    went 1:52

400 easy

100 fr fast from a dive off side
    went 51

200 easy

50 fr fast from a dive off side
    went 22 - 23

100 easy

moved to main pool with blocks

200 FR fast from a dive off blocks
    blew my last turn
    went 1:52

400 easy

100 fr fast from a dive off blocks
    went 50

200 easy

50 SDK fast from a dive off blocks
    went 24

100 easy

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010 Austin, TX UT Swim Center Count Down
    Austin Grand Prix
    ENTERED
    # 5 Men Open 100 Fly 51.80Y
    # 14 Men Open 400 IM 4:25.33Y
    # 26 Men Open 100 Free 48.92Y

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX Countdown
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Friday Morning Solo

by , February 26th, 2010 at 08:41 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Monon Aquatic Center @ 5:15 A.M. solo

**1700 Swim building speed and relax (25 min)
    **4 X 200 Series (8x25 fly drill, 4x50 back on 1:00, 2x100 IM on 2:00, 200 Free swim hard (2:55)
    **Repeat series of 200 as above (200 hard 2;46)

3,300 No time to cool-down again! It seems like every morning I have to get to work early for a meeting and every night I have to stay late for a meeting. I believe I may be over-involved!

Tomorrow morning I'm opting to swim with the Sat. morning Monon Crew! I will get almost double the workout. I'm not even sure if Nasti gets to have a workout tomorrow...its been so long since we've had one.
    Tomorrow night "The Big Splash" an annual fundraiser party for Forest Park Aquatic Center! Friends, Dancing, Beverages, Food, Craziness!!! Can't wait!
    Time for class, gotta go!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Back into it!

by , February 25th, 2010 at 09:26 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Back in the pool today. Nice to have taken it easy the last ten days, but now I'm thinking it might have been better to do a little bit more activity. My sacroiliac joint stiffness was back and I felt sluggish with a capital "S." Did feel better overall the more I did.

Coach noticed some time ago that I'm bringing my hands almost together on my fly during the entry and before I start my pull. I didn't focus on making the correction and apparently am still doing it. Changed my stroke up today and incorporated a wider entry. Have to say that I feel like my turnover is much faster and that it is a more powerful stroke. I did notice that it seems to put more pressure on my shoulders. I don't have shoulder problems, but now that I've changed up my stroke a little, I'll have to be careful.

Here is the workout I did today:

Missed warm-up and first few sets, so just slid in and did one of the sets as a warm-up.

16 x 25 on :40 (I did reverse I.M. order with the first two fly swims being lt arm/rt arm and last fly swims full stroke.)

100 easy

10 x 100 on 2:00 as follows:

100 fly
    100 I.M.
    100 back
    100 I.M.
    100 breast
    100 I.M.
    100 free
    100 I.M.
    100 - 50 fly/50 back
    100 - 50 breast/50 free

400 back pull with paddles and pull buoy (Gosh, I never realized how much I use my legs on backstroke until I swam with a pull buoy. Used to think I should not swim back with a pull buoy until I saw the UGA team training this past summer using pull buoys on backstroke.)

10 x 50 kick on 1:00 - alternated 2 dolphin, 2 flutter

4 x 100: 25 underwater/75 easy back on 30 second rest - did all underwaters dolphin kick on my back

300 easy kick with fins - 100 front flutter, 100 on side, 100 on back

4 x 25 fly with fins AFAP on :45

200 easy

3400 SCY

Updated February 25th, 2010 at 09:47 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Lactate Pain, Thursday, Feb. 25

by , February 25th, 2010 at 06:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ OakMarr w/Speedo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    200 fly drills

10 x 25 shooters on back

Transition Set:

10 x 50 @ 1:00, mod pace
    mixed up strokes

Lactate Set:

3 x (100 AFAP + 200 EZ) @ 9:00

Pete and I both approached this set with trepidation. He hadn't been feeling well; I'd been feeling tired. But we had at it, exceeding our expectations and improving since the last time we did this set on 10/1/09. Pete did free, and I did back with fins like last time. I felt like death on the first one; I was completely gassed and faded with typical wimpy sprinter elan on the last 25. Had to mentally regroup. I contemplated doing fewer SDKs on the first 25 to see if I had more left at the end. But the only way I can beat Speedo is to get an early lead via SDKs and try to hold it, so I persisted. He got me on the first two nevertheless with his new super duper flutter kick. The last 100 I concentrated on keeping my upper body as still as possible and staying under as long as I could. This yielded a better time. I was slightly nauseous after this set. Anyway, it went thusly:

1st 100:
    last time: low 53
    this time: low 54

2nd 100:
    last time: mid 53
    this time: mid 53

3rd 100:
    last time: 54 low
    this time: 52+

Total: 2450

I consider this an improvement on last time, mostly because I descended my times instead of ascending them. I was dead after this and had no desire to do any drills. Limped to the hot tub for a 10-15 minute soak.

P90X Stretch:

I never realized there was a P90X DVD devoted just to stretching. Found this out today from a P90X trainer on FB (it's disc 7). I didn't feel up to real yoga, but felt like I needed a stretch since I was sore and tired. So I plugged the DVD in, and did about 45-50 minutes of it. I fast forwarded through the tricep stretch part, which seemed to be the verboten USAS shoulder stretches. A few of the stretches were bikram yoga poses. This was just what I needed -- yoga light -- without the taxing standing and balancing postures.

Here's a list of the stretches: http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/horton-p90x-str.php. For those of you short on time, I recall Paul Clydesdale Smith saying that he aspired to always start his day with 10 sun salutations.

Here's an article on the health benefits of yoga, including that it may help prevent cancer: http://www.mdanderson.org/publicatio...abenefits.html

Here's a list of P90X recipes for breakfast:

http://www.beachbody.com/product/new...tter)#nl_offer

Here's a FB P90X article (on Tony Horton's page) that agrees with Michael Pollan's book below about fewer ingredients being better: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=320400757403.

Nutrition/Diet:

I've been reading Michael Pollan's short book, Food Rules. It's very short and zippy and and cleverly debunks the machinations of "The Nutritional Industrial Complex." The basic message is: (1) eat real food, not ersatz "edible foodlike substances" that are typically packaged; (2) eat mostly plants, and (3) don't eat too much.

He accurately calls nutrition an extremely young science. There are only several verifiable facts. The so-called "Western" diet (with processed foods, meats, fat, sugar, refined grains, little fruit & veg) causes disease (obesity, cancer, heart disease and diabetes). It's not known which of these dietary elements is the evil culprit. Too much focus is being placed on identifying the culprit, he opines, because food manufacturers can then tweak their products, process food more, and well, make more money.

He lists 64 rules and explains them. See, e.g., a couple reviews:

http://www.pbs.org/pov/blog/2010/01/...food_rules.php

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/02/health/02brod.htm (Jane Brody)

I chatted with Jazz briefly about the book last night. He likes Pollan's approach, but wonders if he discounts starch too much. See, e.g.,

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/09/10/29586.aspx

I was wondering about one of his comments -- that we have an "inborn preference for sweetness and fat and salt." What evolutionary process explains this? I guess it's the food processors manipulating us?

So far I'm having a banner day nutrition wise!

Mr. Fort's Studliness:

I am the worst athlete in our family apparently. Mr. Fort turned in some impressive results on his testing:

body fat = 7%
    VO2 max = 61
    lactate threshold = 91% of VO2 max

I don't know much about VO2 max except that is apparently somewhat innate and cannot be improved upon too much. It varies by age and gender. The average college male has a VO2Max of 44, I'm told. [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VO2_max[/ame].

Mr. Fort's lactate score is the most impressive. According to Joel Friel's Cyclist Bible, elite cyclists have a 80-90% range. And Mr. Fort is 50!

I have no desire to have these test done, though Mr. Fort did urge me too. There is another test for anaerobic power output that he didn't take.

Commentary:

That was a smackdown. I'm tired and sore. My shoulders are sore from the lifting earlier this week. My legs are sore from the AFAP SDK-ing. Tomorrow, will be another recovery type day with probably some bikram yoga.

Updated February 25th, 2010 at 10:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Test Sets , Yoga
  13. Trouble in Paradise?

The good news today was that the pool was set up LCM this morning, even though the temp was in the low 30s. A bonus long-course day! Woohoo!

The bad news is why: One of the lifeguards told me that someone complained to the local health department about the pool operating while partly covered, and theyíve now been forbidden to do that. (Iíve no idea why the health department objects to the practice). So eventually the pool might change its policy on opening up a few lanes for lap swimmers on cold mornings, and not open at all. Tomorrow is supposed to be quite cold, and I was told to be sure to call before driving in, as they might well be closed.

Iím only here one more weekday morning before heading back up to NYC, so this whole business doesnít really affect me much this year. I do hope they figure out how to operate with the health departmentís blessings on cold mornings before next winter (and sooner than that for the sake of my morning swim buddies here!). I do feel lucky to have gotten in a couple months of outdoor swimming without any previous problems.

So this morning I resolved to enjoy the long-course swimming while it lasted. I had the pool almost to myself the whole morning, it was sunny with blue skies, and with no covers last night the pool temp had dropped to a pretty ideal 81 or so. Hereís the solo workout I did:

1000 warmup

Challenge Set
    ? x 100: odds are BK, with the interval starting at 2:00 and descending 5 seconds each time until reaching 1:45, then increasing :15 on each successive 100 until the end of the set; evens are FR and start at 1:45 then decrease :05 on each successive 100 until failure [So on the first 8 100s both BK and FR have intervals that descend by 5 seconds each time, then the BKS start getting a lot slower and the FRs a bit faster until you miss a FR interval. I made the 1:25, just made the 1:20, then missed the 1:15 completely, so I ended up doing 14 x 100 in all.]

100 easy

4 x 150 K/D/S IM order @ :20 rest

400 FR/FL/FR/BK/FR/BR/FR/FR, working strokes + turns, frees easy

100 fly kick w/ fins, building each 50

8 x 50 w/ fins (30 Sprint, 20 easy) @ 1:30 [did 1st 4 FL, then 2 FR and 2 BK]

8 x 50 Kick w/o fins @ 1:15, rev. IM order twice through [The wind was really blowing at this pointóit made about a 10 second difference compared to my regular kicking times! (It was blowing towards the starting end of the pool, so my FRs and BKs were slow, my BRs especially were unusually quick.) I might could have gone just as fast on the with-the-wind 50s if I had simply floated on my back and held up my kickboard like a sail.]

600 warmdown

Weíll see how things go tomorrow. Even if I donít get to swim in the morning, the pool should be open in the afternoon when the age-group team works out, so I don't think I'll have to go swimless.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. 7 DAYS POST-OP

How dry i am!

I haven't been in the water in 8 days and I'm starting to feel depressed about it. In truth, I would have probably missed a few of those days anyway as the roads here have been total crap with the messy mix of snow/rain/crud thats been falling steadily for the past 2 1/2 days. So many trees are down and we have been without power at the house since tuesday night.... and its not looking like it will be restored for another 2 days.

As far as my sinus situation goes; I seem to be moving back and forth between two uncomfortable extremes of burning dryness vs. completely stuffed. Frequently saline irrigation has the effect of minor relief for the dries, but I fall off the squirt schedule when I "try" to sleep.

In short, recovery from this surgery is very similar to the effects of a nasty major league sinus infection without the fever.... a reminder of why I had it done. I hope I'll be able to get back on track with my training plans soon, or else Tampa Bay is going to be UGLY!

over and out......
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -02/26/10

by , February 25th, 2010 at 01:24 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:00
    2 X 150 2:15
    4 X 50 :45
    Twice through.

16 X 25 :30

4 X 150 kick 3:15
    Middle 50 is fast.

1 X 400 7:00 5:40
    1 X 300 5:15 4:15
    1 X 200 3:30 2:50
    1 X 100 - -
    Two rounds. Round 1 is IM, intervals left.
    Round 2 is free, intervals right.
    Short break between rounds.

1 X 50 easy 1:00
    1 X 50 fast 1:00
    4 X 25 sprint kick :45
    Three times all choice.
    Break between rounds.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5200Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Thursday, 2/25/10

by , February 25th, 2010 at 12:34 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Rest and recovery day. Still felling a little sluggish and am a bit sore from the session at the gym last night.

300 swim free
    300 kick alt. 50 free/50 no free
    6 x 50 on 1:00, odds drill free (work on the tricep extensions), evens build

pull 8 x 100 free on 1:40,

swim 8 x 25 on 40: odds easy, evens choice at ~80-85%

swim 4 x 100 back on 1:45 make interval

swim 4 x 25 on :40 choice: work on fast finishes

swim down 200 choice
    --
    Total: 2600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Wednesday, 2/14/10

by , February 25th, 2010 at 12:29 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Was tired, sluggish and still feeling the effects of this cold that I've had for the past 2 weeks.

2x around:
    {200 swim, 200 kick, 200 pull or drill}
    Round 1 free; round 2 back

6x around:
    {
    25 kick choice (no board)
    50 drill choice
    75 build choice
    100 IM
    }

Swim down 100 easy
    --
    Total: 2800 yards

Strength training at gym with trainer.

Updated February 25th, 2010 at 12:36 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Thu Feb 25th 2010 grand prix in a week

by , February 25th, 2010 at 10:06 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Feb 25th 2010

Austin Grand Prix is a week away
    Meet Information

Real-Time Results

Psych Sheet

Big 12 swimming championships

LIVE RESULTS

Subscribe to this Blog

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, main pool
    Whitney coached
    6:30 - 8:00
    swam with Mike, Jack, Phillip, & Paul
    beside Tyler, Jon, & Dale Rogers
    wore B70 full

warm up:
    4 rounds of
    150 fr 50 k

Main Set

10 x ??? on 2:00
    did 4 100's fr held 60 - 61
    150 went 1:30
    200 went 1:57

10 x ??? on 2:00
    did 4 100's fr held 60 - 61
    150 went 1:29
    200 fr strong
    dove
    went 1:53

200 easy

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010 Austin, TX UT Swim Center Count Down
    Austin Grand Prix
    ENTERED
    # 5 Men Open 100 Fly 51.80Y
    # 14 Men Open 400 IM 4:25.33Y
    # 26 Men Open 100 Free 48.92Y

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX Countdown
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events

Updated February 25th, 2010 at 10:20 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Chemicals off today in the pool

by , February 25th, 2010 at 07:34 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I came out with a mouth of cotton. There is a big meet starting tomorrow and I hope they get the chemicals correct.

100,200,300,400@:15R Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fly kick
    5x100@:15R Fly w/fins as 25 6 kick then stroke, 25 kick on back, 25 kick on rt side, 25 kick on left side
    10x50@:55 Fly w/fins
    8x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy went 1:21, 1:20, 1:17, 1:18, 1:17, 1:16, 1:15, 1:14
    200 Free EASY

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Intimations of ISH Morbidity

by , February 24th, 2010 at 11:48 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    I ask-no! I beg!-- that the physicians in our ranks, the Dr. Tom Jaegermeisters, the Dr. Kurt Dicksons, the Dr. Laughing Gulls, the (fake) Dr. Jim Thorntons, take a few minutes to view this film with every iota of heightened attention they can muster.

Rarely has a man of medicine, fake medicine, but medicine nonetheless, expressed in the film medium such "laughing in the face of death" terror at learning through K-Mart and the Internet that he suffers ISH.

Please, really, leave comments if you know about, have, can recommend courses of action for, or just want to gloat about my likely case of ISH.

Honestly, please, please, please tell me what to do.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIVlQkfZPdE"]YouTube- ISH: First He Weeps[/ame]
    Categories
    Uncategorized