View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Monday Nov 16th, 2009

by , November 16th, 2009 at 09:55 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Monday Nov 16th, 2009

MEET:

Saturday, November 21 & Sunday 22, 2009
    University of the Incarnate Word (SCM) Masters Meet

4301 broadway san antonio texas
    5 Days till San Antonio

Entered:

Saturday, November 21, 2009
    04 100 Individual Medley 1:00.99
    08 100 BR 1:12.9
    14 50 Breaststroke 32.99
    18 100 Backstroke 59.99
    plus 4 x 50 medley & 4 x 100 medley relays

Sunday, November 22, 2009
    26 200 Freestyle 2:06.99
    30 50 Backstroke 27.99
    34 100 Freestyle 54.99
    36 50 Butterfly 26.99
    plus 4 x 50 fr, 4 x 100 fr, & 4 x 200 fr relay

Probably won't swim all the individual events

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

FOUR OR MORE SDKs off EVERY wall

SCY
    5:30 - 6:30
    whitney coached
    dove in on time
    swam with mike & tyler
    next to todd & ned

WORE briefs

Warm Up
    2 rounds of 200fr 150 100k 50 IM
    went 1:13 & 1:10 on the 100's k

assigned: 2 x 500
    did 2 x (5 x 50) 6 or more SDKs off each wall

assigned 5 x 200 desc
    did 5 x (2 x 50)

assigned 10 x 100, 4 aerobic 1 fast kick
    did 5 x 50

changed into B70 legs

50 bk
    flip start
    tyler timed
    poor pushoff & turn
    went 25.8

MEETS:

December 4th - 6th, 2009
    2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships at
    Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

17 Days till Long Beach

Updated November 16th, 2009 at 12:20 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Swim Meet

by , November 16th, 2009 at 09:44 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Saturday, 11/14/09

Went to Salt Lake City UT for a Masters meet at the South Davis Recreation Center. Very nice pool.

Warm up with a mix of swimming, kicking, and drilling. Did a few 50 builds then 2 fast 25's off the blocks followed by about 5 minutes of easy swimming. Total around 1000 y.

1st event: 200 backstroke - 2:39.35
    This felt pretty good and I was a bit disappointed with the time which was about 3 sec slower than my best.
    Splits were 37.75-40.68-41.03-39.89.

2nd event: 50 fly - :32.52
    Way slow!!! felt like I was spinning the whole way.

3rd event: 100 free - 1:04.04
    WTF!!! a practice time!

4th event: 50 back - 33.72
    Another practice time!

I haven't been doing speed work and it shows. Another meet this coming weekend in Boise Idaho. A dual sanction meet with the kids. Should be fun. Hope my times are a little faster. Will do basically the same events except will do 100 back instead of 200.

Total yardage with warmup, races and swimdowns - 2400 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Looking For Earmarks

by , November 16th, 2009 at 09:22 AM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it.
    -George W. Bush

This coming Sunday night is the next club Board of Directors meeting where the meet budget will (hopefully) be approved. This year the sequence of the meet planning is out of whack. Normally in the past, the meet budget is first submitted to the board for approval, then the meet entry and fees are sent in for sanction.

The 2010 budget projects a profit a little higher than last year's. I sent the budget to the board for approval last week expecting an OK. Not. A board meeting was scheduled for Sunday night. The board now wants to take a closer look, - I think they are searching for pork and earmarks to cut.

This year, the board is busy playing catch up: making decisions on things that have already happened, or putting out fires. The meet was a long way off at the last board meeting in September, so no directors were thinking about it with the fires burning. (You can tell that I am not on the board.) It was noted at the meeting that we need a meet director assigned in order to get the meet sanctioned, in order to get it publicized. Since I brought up the subject and there was little time to do a professional executive search, I got expediently assigned meet director for 2010.

Our budget is simply a list of projected income and expenses. The amounts are based on our past experiences. This year we budget 155 swimmers entering 3.5 events, buying 45 tee shirts. I predict that the tee shirt sales may be down from previous meets due of economic belt-tightening. The average events entered per swimmer has been about 3.5 events. (I would count my 200-IM as .5 event.) The number of swimmers has climbed steadily after taking a year off for pool renovations:
    - 2004 - 113 entries / 34 tee shirts sold
    - 2005 - 155 / 49 tees (snowstorm year)
    - 2006 (pool closed)
    - 2007 - 142 / 51 tees
    - 2008 - 146 / 51 tees
    - 2009 - 167 / 56 tees

The entry fee is based on expenses that we would incur if we had to cancel the meet and send refunds. Generally, it covers pool rental, food, postage for refunds, and some rental of equipment. However, if the cancellation is due to weather, the pool rental, the biggest expense, might be refunded by the county.

The event fee is just what we want to charge based on going rates, and covers other expenses such as awards, officials, and profit. Since we don't have the best facility in the region, we keep it at $5. (That facility inferiority complex keeps coming through this blog, or maybe it's jealousy and envy.) If the meet was cancelled, these fees would be refunded to swimmers.

We borrow the sound system, starting system, lap counter cards, chairs, and some stopwatches. In the first meet, each organization doing the lending (high school swim team and local swim teams) received a $30 donation from us as a thank you. This has become traditional, although the practice went overboard last year. We budgeted four organizations lending equipment. Meet workers couldn't secure all the equipment from each source as planned (or in time), so on their own went to several others. The end result was that we borrowed equipment from a lot more sources, requiring a lot more $30 checks after the meet.

BOOK OF WISDOM
    Budget.

Updated November 16th, 2009 at 09:31 AM by Rnovitske

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. No power today, arms of rubber

by , November 16th, 2009 at 07:23 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My arms felt like rubber on this one, felt like I lost my feel for the water. I decided to use one of Bobinators workouts for a change of pace of course it has been Donnaized. Thanks Robin.

700 Free
    200 Fly kick w/fins on back
    6x100@2:00 choice I did back
    300 Fly kick w/fins mix up the positions no board
    6x75@1:15 as 50 Free/25 Choice I did Fly
    250 Free relaxed
    5x50@(1:00,:55,:50,:45) Free w/paddles & bouy
    call to wake up son here
    5x50@(:55,:50,:45,:40) Free w/paddes & bouy
    200 Free relaxed
    300 Free kick w/fins

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 11-15-09 little SCM

by , November 16th, 2009 at 02:28 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Swimstitute - SCM

Warm 800 (2x200 on 3:20, 4x100 on 2:00)
    Speed set by 50's
    12x50 1,2 build 3 FAST on 1:05 FR/BK/BR
    Kick
    10x50 on :50 w/fins and board
    Pull
    1x200 w/Blue TYR and buoy, 3rd/breath
    50 cool down

Shoulders starting to feel better, but still cant get them to support a full load.
    Last week my wife took the whole week off, so I made her my priority over my workouts, I only made one Masters on 11-10, wife treated me to Old Town Sacramento on Vets day and we shared a lane on 11-12 at the Swimstitute. My wife took some lessons from my coach last summer and she has been practicing twice week.
    I'm quite glad that I had a bit of a respite, certain that it will do me good in the long run.
    Reno is now in 3 weeks. No taper for that, I'll just have to hope I can build enough momentum going into it.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Sunday was alot like Saturday

by , November 15th, 2009 at 11:15 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I love swimming at Fisher's High School. The swim didn't start till 1;00 pm. I wouldn't want to swim at this time every week-end but I made it work well for me this week-end.
    We had 6 people present today. Here is our workout. I think it took 55 minutes.
    *200 Free stretch swim
    *200 Free/Back 6 kick and Roll Drill
    *2 X 100 Back on 2:00
    *500 Free Swim--build speed every 100
    *2 X 150 free on 2:30
    *2 X 125 free on 2:15
    *2 X 100 free on 1:45
    no rest between 2's
    3 X 200 free on 3;30
    *8 X 25 free with breathing patterns on :30
    *4 X 50 Back on 1:00 Trying to"pick-up the pace" and get more umph in the kick.
    *100 slow cool-down backstroke.
    2,900 scy--we didn't rest or talk much between anything today. I feel better doing it like that.

Next week-end is the Louisville leg of the Tyr Grand Prix series. I'm doing 1500 free, 200 free, 200 back, 50 back, and 50 free on Saturday. Sunday is the 800 free, 100 back, 50 fly, 50 breast, and 100 free.
    I may just do Saturday and go home. I really don't want to stay over in a hotel. I'm trying to save $ plus I'm the only Nasti going to this meet so I'm likely to be alone.
    Louisville is a 2 hour or so drive from my house. I guess if I go home Saturday and get motivated again in the meantime I could drive back. I will probably just decide on the spot.

Tomorrow I plan to take a run after school and then go down in my basement and start using weights a bit. I've tried to get myself started on some type program at LA Fitness but I just don't like the weight room there. (its big and I just feel bad karma!) I think I have enough stuff in the basement to develop a beginner program for myself that I can hold myself honest to!
    I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Manic Sunday, Nov. 15

by , November 15th, 2009 at 09:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM: Swim @ GMU w/team:

Warm up:

500 swim
    200 kick
    500 pull (descend by 100s -- I did these backstroke, no paddles)
    200 IM drill

(I missed about 200 of this)

Vertical Kicking:

20 squat jumps off bottom of pool

med ball toss w/partner, 4 x :30

vertical kicking, 8 x 20 second hands at side, 10 seconds in streamline, 20 seconds rest

Main sets:

2 x through:

4 x 75 IM switch @ 1:15
    4 x 50 stroke descend @ 1:00
    4 x 25 kick, alternate fast/EZ @ :30

On the 50s, I did backstroke w/fins on the first set and descended to 25. On the second set, I did backstroke kick and descended to 24. On the kicks, I cruised the first 3 and did a fast shooter on the 4th one. Went a mid 9 on my last one.

6 x 100 @ 1:45
    50 stroke, 50 dolphin kick on back
    I used fins to go faster than aerobic pace and get more rest on these. (Went between :58-1:00 on these.)

100 EZ

Total: 3550 + VK/squat jumps

10 minutes hottub

PM Drylands:

RC Work, 20 minutes

P90X Ab Ripper, 15 minutes

Here are the exercises done:

11 exercises--25 reps of each exercise in this order:
    In and Outs (picture being in boat pose and moving your legs in and out)
    Bicycle-Same as in and outs but with a bicyle movement
    Bicycle in reverse
    Crunchy Frog- In and outs with your hands out at your sides bringing them in and wrapping your legs close to your chest
    Fifer Scissors-lying on your back one leg hovering over the floor, one up and a 90degree angle both feet flexed and changing them scissor style
    Hip Rock and Raise-sort of reverse crunches
    Pulse-ups/Heels to Heaven-Reverse crunches with straight legs
    V-up roll ups-Similar to a teaser
    Obliques-side lying lifting legs and shoulder up at same time, kind of an oblique crunch
    Leg climbs-lying on back one leg bent, one leg extended rolling up to top
    Mason twist-Oblique twists done VERY quickly with legs raised up off the floor

Overall, it's a pretty tough 15 minutes. It's intended to be done 3x a week back to back with another P90X workout. I definitely didn't think the pace was slow. If you had your hands in the air on the first few exercises, it made them much tougher. I didn't need to do the "climb" in the leg climb -- too easy. The last exercise was a killer. I couldn't do it as fast as they demonstrated. Might take some practice.

P90X Plyo DVD, 60 minutes:

This was my second time through this DVD. It didn't seem quite as tough as the first time. But I had to stop it halfway through to pick up a kid, so maybe that's why. The knee tuck jumps are still the hardest.

PM Swim/Solo/SCM:

I had to take Mini Fort to the gym to swim tonight since she'd miss yet another week of swimming with the oinky-itis. (High school tryouts are tomorrow.) Since I was there, I hopped in and did some hypoxic work with Fortina and Dolphina (Geek's name for my MF).

Warm up:

500 EZ

Hypoxic Work:

16 x 25 shooters w/MF @ :15-20 RI
    8 on belly
    8 on back

I was going slightly faster on my belly if I bent my knees a little more.

10 x 50 double shooters @ 1:15
    1 breath at turn only
    5 belly, 5 back

I considered this, for me, to be intermediate rest in a SCM pool.

100 EZ (As I was announcing to Mini-Fort that I was only doing a 100 easy, she said "Well, maybe that's why you're sore the next day, you don't warm down." Had to chuckle after the anti-warm down thread.)

Total: 1500 meters

Grand total: 5050 yards/meters, 2000 kicking

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I had no problem getting out of bed to go to my am team practice this time. But I felt rather sloggy through most of it. It occurred to me later that I probably hadn't really recovered from my deep tissue massage from Friday. It usually takes me a few days to recover from those.

I was chatting with my coach briefly about weights. She is in the process of screening resumes for a strength/conditioning coach for the GMU swim teams. She's particularly interested in those with experience in functional strength training and plyometrics training.

It was kind of a lazy day on the home front (though I still have one sick kid), so I slipped in a lot of dryland work between hauling the other 2 here and there.

Oh, and tonight is night one of swearing off chard and pinot for 30 days. We'll see how that goes ... the weekday/weekend plan is also possible. I am also hoping to stay away from my worst enemy, the potato chip.

I think it is an understatement to say that my legs will be sore tomorrow ...

Updated November 16th, 2009 at 08:50 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  8. Sunday Nov 15th, 2009

by , November 15th, 2009 at 06:43 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sunday Nov 15th, 2009

following Berlin World Cup?
    several records fell today

WEIGHTS at world gym san marcos
    lat press 6 x 40 6 x 45 6 x 50 5 x 55 4 x 60
    lat pull 6 x 167 5 x 207 4 x 217 2 x 225
    bench press 6 x 135 5 x 185 4 x 205 1 x 215
    leg press 6 x 180 6 x 270 6 x 360 5 x 450

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY
    8:30 - 10:00
    ?? coached
    dove in on time
    swam with jane schweppe & bruce
    next to john rightmeyer
    rolling wood pool

WORE briefs

went around 2,500
    did a lot of SDK

MEETS:

5 Days till San Antonio

December 4th - 6th, 2009
    Long Beach

18 Days till Long Beach
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Humid, Humid Running

by , November 15th, 2009 at 06:06 PM (My Passion)
    Got up at 6:30 to run with buddies. Hubby got up at 4:30 - he got up before his alarm and I heard the shower running. His Garmin 405 was not working right and he told me, so I told him to take my 305. I fell back asleep until my alarm went off. (I did not watch him run since the SA course is not spectator friendly. He was also only running half since his sciatic nerve has been acting up).

I got the meeting place just before 7 am. Kelly got there shortly after. Ernie and Kathy pulled up shortly after that. We started talking and got off to a slow start. The humidity was stifling. We mostly talked about how glad we were that we did not sign up for the marathon this year . In fact, this was the first year that hubby ran without me and I did not feel bad about not running. I was actually happy for the runners and happy for me too!

I decided to turn around at 2.5 miles, since my asthma was really bad as the air was so wet and I could not breathe easily - it was about 65 degrees, but with 90% humidity it does not matter, it just feels hot!!!! I told then to go on and I'd meet them at the end, but Kathy turned around with me and we had a good, hot, humid run back.

Kelly and Ernie only went another half mile or so, and since Kathy and I were running slowly, the caught up right after we started cooling down.

We made plans for our next get together, probably the week after Thanksgiving since I have a meet next weekend.

Now to complete my meet application...... Oh yeah - Hubby completed the 1/2 marathon in 1:37 and was able to get his Garmen to work afterall. He was pretty happy considering the conditions. The humidity was awful and a lot of runners were not running the race that they were hoping
  10. No time to post yesterday - so added it with todays

by , November 15th, 2009 at 05:37 PM (My Passion)
    Saturdays I drop in and swim with the Masters of South Texas. They have awesome coaches and some of my friends swim with them regularly. The weekday times do not work so well for me, so I swim with the on Saturdays.

Got to the pool just before 6:00 am. Kara was to my left and I shared a lane with Scott. I started in a lane by myself, but the faster swimmers were at the other end, so I moved to be with them.

Did a 150 easy warmup. Felt stiff and air was thick we have high humidity today.

The assigned set was:
    6 X 100 free decending
    5 X 100 free pull
    4 X 100 IM
    3 X 100 choice
    2 X 100 free
    1 X 100 kick

We did the 6 X 100 on 1:45 and I had to use my inhaler after 3, so I missed 50 out of the 4th set and caught the next 50 and swam a little easier.

The Free pull was good. This is one of my favorite things to do. Used paddles and a pull buoy. Did an extra 100 after some coaching to keep my hand more rigid and wrist slightly pointed down 50 with paddles and 50 without. I have been adjusting my stroke lately. I have been swimming free with reaching my arms out far before the enter the water, so they enter flat. Then I have been pulling with a straight arm. The past 2 weeks, I have been practicing putting my arm in closer to my head at an angle and then bending my elbow right away. My weekday coach had me doing my stroke that way. The M.O.S.T coach coached me to swim free this way, and when I look at videos, this is the way to do it.

The 100 IMs felt good, but I can tell my fly is still week. I kept my form, but was exhausted, back which is my worst stroke, felt pretty good, then breast and free are gravy.

After that, the coach wanted to time my 200 breast. I have never swam it in competition and am planning on it at the meet next weekend.

Scott was still swimming his 1 X 100 choice (back) and we were splitting the lane, so I was a little concerned that he would stray over the line, or that I would kick him in passing, but neither happened. Also, my practice suit is stretchy, so every time I pushed off, it would move over on my left chest. Not sure how far over, but I was not about to take chances, so after streamline, I would very quickly pull it back over X 8, then get back in streamline. My pullouts are long and the coach told me to hold them as long as possible as that is the key on a 200.

I started and kept it comfortable, holding the pullout. I tried not to go too high on my turns. After the first 100, the whole practice, 10 swimmers, were cheering me at each turn, that encouragement always helps . I started speeding up a little on the last 100 and sprinted all out the last 50. It felt pretty good. Not near as bad as I thought it could have probably means I was not pushing hard enough. Being a sprinter, I am trying to learn patience when I swim over a 100. My time was 3:21:6. The meet on this weekend is a meter pool, so I will still try to beat the time. My splits were descending, so that part of my strategy was good. I just need to do the same thing this weekend.

I was very glad for this opportunity. I feel more prepared for this weekend now. I have decided to sign up for the 400 free, which I have never swam at a meet before, 50 free and 50 breast these will be Saturday. On Sunday, I will swim the 200 breast, the 100 free and the 50 fly. I am starting to talk myself out of the 50 fly, but I may wait until later in the week to decide.

After workout, some of use went for coffee and a bite to eat. Then I went home, to the marathon expo with hubby and to Austin. Busy day did not get home till 10 and then had to get ready for 7 am run (hubby to get up at 4:40 for marathon)

Updated November 15th, 2009 at 05:46 PM by swim4me (correct formatting)

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Birthday Swim

by , November 15th, 2009 at 09:33 AM (My non-workout blog and random thoughts)
    Wow! I made it to 55 today. Although I have avoided posting my workouts, my set this afternoon will be 55 x 50 on 55 seconds.

Boring? Most likely.

Symbolic? Yeah baby!

I'm going to Tempe next weekend to Ron Johnson Memorial.

I've got the need for speed! And I'm dedicating my 50 back to Ron.

He was a great human being and made a huge difference in the lives of so many swimmers. In a very real sense, he lives on in each swimmer who had a chance to be coached by him.

Rock on at 55!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Saturday

by , November 14th, 2009 at 11:25 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I did a quick workout at Fisher's High School with 6 other Nasti's.
    *200 Free stretch out
    *200 Drill Free (100 6 kick and roll/100 Catch up drill)
    *2 X 100 Back (build to fast last 25)
    *4 X 200 free on 3:30 steady till last 50 burst
    *8 X 100 on 2:00 (75 Free-10 sec rest and sprint last 25 stroke)
    *4 X 50 IM order (25 stroke/25 free)
    *8 X 25 Breath Control on :40--I think everyone did underwaters except me. I sprinted and took limited breaths.
    * easy 100 free and out!
    2,700 yds.

I just got back from a party celebrating "Indy Runner's" 30th Anniversary. Nice party but mostly young folks. I recognized and talked to 5 or 6 people from my running era.
    They put a neat slide show together from the 80's. I saw myself a couple of times.
    Modern day runners are very different from their older counter-parts. Much lower key and participation orientated as opposed to the hard core preformance we tried to achieve. A 30 yr. old who is trying to qualify for Boston by (3:40 or faster) freaked out when I told her I had to go under 3:10 the 1st time I qualified and did it.
    They have significantly watered down Boston qualifications in the last 15 years. I think they want their numbers over 10,000 or something. I personally feel anyone who is much slower than 4 hours in a marathon should concentrate on getting faster in shorter distances and save the marathoning for the stronger days that will follow.
    Races that last over 4 hours are extremely difficult to man with volunteers. It's also difficult (and costly) to shut streets down for hours at a time.
    While I think it's somewhat courageous for folks who don't train properly to try a marathon I think in the long term it will ruin, and maybe bannish the sport from exsistance.
    Okay................back to swimming.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. 3000 POSTAL

I tweaked my back a bit on thursday while carrying a couple of 500lb granite slabs up a short stair run with a tight landing. My lead install man has left to pursue a career as a recording engineer (that bastard!) and has left us short in that dept. Even with all the wheels and levers available to us, sometimes things just have to be man-handled and I (reluctantly) am just the man to do it. Maybe Jazz and Fort would care to add granite hauling to their lifting routines??? (call me guys!)
    .......but I digress.....
    So I needed some work and scheduled an acupuncture session at noon. I don't know how many needles were poked in my upper back, but there were many and I could feel my muscles twitching throughout the 30 minute session.... Katie had some Astor Piazzolla cd playing; I love tango music.

I took a long hot shower and a little nap before masters.

The pool was really cloudy tonight and only 2 of us showed up to swim. Coach Dan agreed to keep time.

I felt ok after a warm-up that consisted of a 500, 3x 100, and 4x 50 trying to find that easy sustainable pace, and was ready to go.

Dan asked what the plan was and I responded with a shrug and "1:12's would be 36 minutes" we agreed that if I fell off this pace he would do something to alert me, (I don't know what he would do that could make me swim faster, but anyway... it was a plan)
    We have a very nice digital clock that is easily visible to left breathers. I am a dominant left breather and can easily keep track of my pace, so Dan was really only useful to record my splits.... sorry Dan.

GO... and I feel good at 14 SPL..... 1st 100 @1:03... too fast... settle down... 2:12 @ 200yds, thats better... only 15 more of those. 5:39 @ 500yds ... not bad, I suffered through a "fast" 500 at the end of practice last night and only managed a 5:43 (1/6th of the way home... hold steady) 11:25 @ the 1000 mark, one third down, 2/3rds to go... 80 lengths... 66% ... at least I don't have Hey Jude stuck in my head (damn! now I do!.. naaa naaa naaa na n' na naaa etc ad infinitum). 1650 - 18:57 (a personal best!) 15SPL now. 2000 - 23:02 na n' na naaa.
    I go to 16SPL, keeping it light 'till the end.
    3000 @ 34:40.9

I'm thinking about the 6000 for tomorrow......
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. A normal Saturday with the kids

by , November 14th, 2009 at 08:04 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today I swam with Sandra, McKaylin and Juan. We added alittle challenge today.

5x100@1:45 Free
    20 reps on stretch cords
    20x25 Fly Drills
    20 reps on stretch cords
    20x25 Back Drills
    20 reps on stretch cords
    20x25 Free Drills
    a batch of ants took over our area so we had to skip the last set since Sandra and I both got bitten. Yes this was inside.
    20x25 Breast Drills
    5x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy

Total 2000 yards

Updated November 15th, 2009 at 09:28 PM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Saturday Nov 14th, 2009

by , November 14th, 2009 at 01:56 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Saturday Nov 14th, 2009

following Berlin World Cup?

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY
    7:30 - 9:00
    whitney coached
    dove in on time
    swam with jon, tyler, & max
    next to paul, sharon, & Desiree Ficker who placed 10th overall in the NYC marathon 2:39:30
    dick nichols pool

WORE B70 legs

Warm Up
    did around 500

MAIN SET

20 x 50 on 1:15
    5 rounds of
    1) kick fast for time dive
    2) EASY
    3) swim fast for time dive
    4) EASY
    k / sw
    1) 28, missed swim to put on B70 legs
    2) 25, 25
    3) 28, 25
    4) 27, 25
    5) 24.5, (swam easy 75, did 50 fr fast from blocks went 22.2)
    REALLY LIKED THIS SET

assigned: 1000 fr pull
    did: some of it maybe 400

think there was another set here
    don't remember

assigned: 7 x 100
    3 on fast int, 1 easy, 3 on fast int
    did: 25 easy 50 rest, 25 SDK fast

50 EASY

MEETS:

6 Days till San Antonio

December 4th - 6th, 2009
    Long Beach

19 Days till Long Beach
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Thursday/Friday

by , November 13th, 2009 at 10:48 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Thursday night I bagged swimming. I decided to go Friday instead and do a longer workout on my own.
    So I went home, had a glass of chard, relaxed, did light house cleaning, and made some home cut crisp fresh french fries in deep fried oil! Wow, I love these decadent greasy treats.
    The only exercise I got was running around all day at work (that's alot really!).

Friday I reported to LA Fitness directly after work. I did the following modified Mo Chambers workout:
    *200 free stretch it out (rest 20 sec)
    *200 free good tempo (rest 30 sec)
    *5 X 150 (50 4 kick and roll drill, 75 moderate swim, 25 sprint) rest 20 seconds between each.
    *4 X (300--200--100)
    300's all freestyle pace building-rest "30
    200's-1st one swim 150 free/kick 50
    2nd one swim 100 free/kick 100
    3rd one swim 50/kick 150
    4th one Kick 200
    100's-1st one free, last 3 backstroke hard.

3,500 scy--I liked this workout. I will do more from this file!

This week-end and Tuesday we will be swimming at Fisher's HS pool due to swim meets at Noblesville. I love this pool so I really don't care. It's a new (4 yrs) beautiful indoor 50 meter long, 10 lanes wide with a moveable bulkhead. The bottom is sort of rag painted deep turquoise; it reminds me of swimming in the sea!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Yeah Friday

by , November 13th, 2009 at 07:50 PM (My Passion)
    5 am practice this morning. Swaim with Karen. There was a fast guy I had never seen before next to me in the other lane. Another guy I had never seen before, who was walking with the coach and carrying a cooler, came up to me and told me about this drink he wanted me to try, I cannot remember the name, The coach was telling him about my athletic adventures, so I guess that is why he picked me. The drink is suppossed to be a super-oxygenated water, I asked him some questions, to see why he was asking me to try it, and he said he sold it, but that was about it. I cannot remember the name of the drink, and it made me nauseous , so I stopped drinking it and went back to my water. The guy left before I could tell him it did not work. (it was suppossed to enhance performance)

Workout:
    800 free warm-up
    8X100 free on 2:00 (a little too much rest, but since the dring made me nauseous and my asthma was kicking in, I took it)
    1X200 free
    10X25 hypoxic (1:5, 1-:9, 1:7) on :40 (good rest with my asthma)
    1X400 free
    2X100 with pull buoy - right arm/left arm pull alternate every 25 yds
    150 slow kick with board

Practice tomorrow at 6 am - get to sleep in on Saturdays . Then to marathon expo and then Austin to see duaghter and attend baby shower (not for daughter ). We will get home late and then have to get up real early for hubby's marthon - he's only running half this year cause his sciatic nerve has really been hurting him - but he still runs . I point out the I have never been injured while swimming, but he just does not get it.
    With all that going on and my mom's big dog to babysit, busy, busy weekend.

Updated November 13th, 2009 at 08:03 PM by swim4me

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Getting it all in!

by , November 13th, 2009 at 07:24 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    My computer went down Wednesday, so haven't been able to blog much. Right now, I'm using my husband's computer at work until I get a new computer, so I may be sporadic for the next week.

On Wednesday afternoon, I did weights as follows:

Bench press: bar x 5, 2 sets of 75 x 15
    Lat pulldown: 90 x 5, 120 x 10, 130 x 8, 140 x 6
    Triceps pulldown: 2 sets of 40 x 15
    Alt. hammer curls: 2 sets of 15 x 15
    Push-ups with bosu ball: 1 set of 15
    Bicycles: 1 set of 100

Thursday morning, I woke up at 4:00 a.m. and could not go back to sleep. Decided to get up and go to the 5:15 spin class. Great class! Pretty tough intervals. The class lasted for 45 minutes. Followed the class up with a 1 mile run on treadmill at 8:32

Today, hit the pool and did the following workout:

200 warm-up

Broken 400 I.M. - 10 seconds rest at each 25

8 x 200 choice on 3:30 - did dolphin kick with no fins on first 4 and did free on second 4.

6 x (35 underwater, 65 easy) with fins - 1 minute rest

10 x 25 on :30 - did mostly free (After doing #1 and #3 fly, I realized that I was dead from all the working out this week.)

300 pull

3350 yards

Updated November 13th, 2009 at 08:00 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Friday, Nov. 13

by , November 13th, 2009 at 05:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM: Hot Yoga

Made it through another Africa hot class. I think Insel keeps the temperature higher than the other instructors. I was melting by the end. But I was a rock star on the standing boat pose finally. (That's my fav standing pose.) Afterward, I was slightly nauseous, probably just dehydrated.

More info on hot yoga:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...59_kell29.html

http://www.hot-yoga.net/news/

PM Massage:

Got a deep tissue massage this afternoon. I was really pummeled and feel dead at the moment. I'd love to hibernate in front of a fire on this cold rainy day. Maybe later tonight. The massage therapist noted that it's a great idea to do hot yoga before a massage b/c it makes you very pliable.

I'm still planning on taking tomorrow off and sleeping in.
    Categories
    Yoga
  20. FAST FRI Nov 13th, 2009 DOUBLE

by , November 13th, 2009 at 03:14 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST FRI Nov 13th, 2009 DOUBLE

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY
    NOON - 1:15
    TYLER coached
    dove in on time
    swam with David VD,
    TSC main pool

WORE new B70 with rip

Warm Up
    go 900

MAIN SET

25 belly SDK
    roll start off blocks
    Tyler timed
    went 10.2

100 easy

100 fr fast
    racing start off blocks (from coaches go)
    Tyler timed
    went 50.1

out in 23 low & died
    had little left

200 easy

rested 25 minutes

200 fr fast
    Tyler timed
    cruised first 125 worked 75
    out in 54
    went 1:51.5

200 easy