View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. 01-13-10 Folsom Marlins workout

by , January 14th, 2010 at 01:06 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    So far there hasn't been much of the multiple broken-set type workouts except for the Warm Ups, which are always 1200 yards, since I dont stay for the last half hour or more, since I have a train to catch, I cannot really give a good review on the Folsom Marlin Masters.
    One thing is for certain, looks like I will have to do all the "reaching out" and introducing myself and seeing if I can share a lane and interval with someone. (Not a friendly bunch, but there are some fast ones in there) Right now everyone is all spread out in the Olympic sized LMC pool turned SCY, (16 lanes or more)
    They had a LCM workout that got switched midstream to SCY, right in the the middle of a 5x400m set, which was the Main set on Tuesday and I suspect they will do that Thursday morning as well. (But not a 5x400, I'm sure they will do some IM's)

This morning was;
    Warm (1200)
    600 (75 FR / 75 Stroke)
    12x50 K 50 Fast / 50 Smooth ( Did :45 with fins/board)
    Main
    2x the following
    100 IM
    100 FR
    200 IM
    200 FR
    300 IM
    300 FR ( Did 100FR with snorkel as a cool down)

Out to the showers.

Ive reached a low in my fitness, my left shoulder area feels like a nerve is pinched, my back gets really sore towards the end of the workouts and I have not been able to get back up to speed. Ive been swimming 5 days a week...anyways enough whinning!
    I should be able to rejoin Aquasol in February, however nothing is certain being a new employee...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Back in the sprint of things

by , January 13th, 2010 at 10:03 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Busy these day preparing for and teaching my class over at the college. This entry will be very brief.

Gearing up for the next few months. Went to chiro today and he was able to loosen up the hip/lower back area some more. Had ultrasound done on the area and it really felt good. I return on Monday. I am really hopeful this problem will be gone by the time Auburn rolls around.

Debating just doing my own workouts until the meet simply because the kids are at a different phase in their training and have no plans of tapering anytime soon. Doing 5,000 yards in a workout is definitely not what I need to be doing right now.

Hit the pool at lunch today. Pool was a bit warm, but I didn't mind too much as it loosened me up. Swam 2300 yards all with fins. Except for the warm-up, pushed it pretty hard. One of the sets I did is as follows:

4 x 75: 50 (25 back kick/25 back) on :50 and then 25 underwater (did dolphin kick)

One minute rest between each 75. On 50s, held around 28 or 29. Going right into the 25 underwater right after the hard-effort 50 was not always easy, but I made it.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Did He Who Made the Lamb Make Thee?

by , January 13th, 2010 at 09:52 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    I would like to extend a hearty welcome to my new and potentially vast vlog viewing readership.

A quick survey of my some of my earlier posts might give you the wrong idea about my Nature.

This is a "Kodacolor Print made by the Eastman Kodak Company TM Regis U.S. Pat. Off" of me (or possibly my identical twin brother John, neither of us is completely sure) from "the week ending July 28, 1956."

I (or possibly John) am not quite yet 4 years old.

I don't think I know how to swim yet.

Our mother is of the overprotective school of mothering, as evidenced by the double layer of sink-proof garmentry she has outfitted me (or John) with.

Thank god I never got upended in the Semple's swimming pool, because I don't think I could have righted myself again with this collection of anti-drowning apparatus on.

Note my shoes. Note, in the very distant background, the presence of a golfer. I am pretty sure the background is the 6th hole of the Allegheny Country Club.

Not only was my mother overprotective, but she managed to instill in me a fashion sense and love-hate relationship with the ungraspable Good Life that lasts to this very day.

In any event--and I apologize for going on so long here--no matter what heinousness I may be capable of today, and sadly it appears I am capable of a lot, know that somewhere in the exhausted elastic of my crepe-like skin there still resides this little lad, this little well-protected drowning-proofed bundle of innocence, this cute little dodgie of the Post War and Pre War eras: a smidgen of him still lives!

Now that I think about it, this probably is John.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Wet Wednesday

by , January 13th, 2010 at 09:43 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I made it to the Monon Center this morning (5 a.m.) early before work for a good workout:

1) 4 X 400 Freestyle swim on 7:00 interval (6:43/6:41/6:35/6:22)

2) 4 X 50 Flutter supine, no fins or board, 10 sec
    rest

3) 12 X 100 freestyle---1st 6 @ 1:50 interval. 1 minute xtra rest. 2nd 6 @ 1:45 interval.

4) 4 X 50 Dolfin Kick, no fins or board, 10 sec. rest.

5) 4 X 75 Backstroke on 1;30 interval

6) 4 X 50 Backstroke on 1:00 interval (concentrate on sdk and breakout-didn't feel good )

7) 4 X 25 Fly on :45 As hard as I could.

8) ez 100 swim cooldown

3,900 scy

Two Questions

1. I turned 54 in September of 2009. Would I still officially be in the 50-54 age group at nationals this year?

2. I am wondering if anyone has a Mac Book Pro.
    I currently have a regular Mac Book. Someone offered me $600 for my current mac Book (4 yrs old). I'm figuring with about $800 more I could get the Pro of my dreams. I just don't know if its really worth it. I am trying to be frugal right now and I should NOT do it. The little voice in my head keeps saying "do it, it's sooooo cool"!
    If anyone has a pro and loves it please let me know.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. My Mantra...Atlanta...

by , January 13th, 2010 at 09:42 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    So I am putting the pieces together for Nationals in Atlanta in May. Room, flight, time off etc. Today when working out I found my self talking my self out of that last send...or considering padding the interval. I silently said "Atlanta" to myself and made the effort. I think I will beging to write the word underneath the hard parts of my workout so that I will see the goal when I preemptively start to fear the pain...sure it's not likely to be the hardest things I could do but hopefully it will help.

Today's workout was not too bad...I worked on a few things but I'm beginning to shift focus to Breast and Free.

3 x 200 FR with snorkel
    2 x 50 Side kick
    2 x 50 3 & glide
    2 x 50 6 kick switch
    2 x 50 Catch up
    2 x 50 EZ
    10 x 75 1:15 1-4desc, 5 ez, 6-10 repeat.
    I forgot the descend on 1-4 but I did it on 6-10 got down to a 1:05.
    3 x 50 EZ
    4 x 100 max SDK each wall-mod free to next turn. #4 is where I was beginning to feel it and used Atlanta, my mantra.
    2 x 50 BK streamline K
    2 x 50 BK K with rotation
    2 x 50 3 & glide
    4 x 50 BK did somewhere 1:15-1:30
    3 x 100 BK

I had a fellow coach check out my backstroke and got told, "faster arm turnover, bit more kick and a bit more rotation." They said overall it was good. So I think the focus has been helping. It was at the end of workout too so I didn't have a lot of zip left to do fast turnover or kicking and I was trying to swim it a bit EZ to get things right. I think I should look to do some pacier intervals at some point down the line to build stamina.

Lifted after usual 45 minute circuit. Had my Accelrade during the workouts and a Muscle Milk for recovery.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Back to the blog

by , January 13th, 2010 at 07:09 PM (My Passion)
    After taking rest days Saturday and Sunday due to the cold spell, I swam on Monday and worked out in the gym on Tuesday, but have been too lazy to blog.

Today - the workout was all back stroke. As much as I love swimming (and I DO LOVE swimming ) I HATE backstroke . I realize I need to get better at it, so I sucked it up and swam backstroke. 1800 yards and worked on my technique as I swam.

While swimming, I noticed the girl next to me (who swims most strokes much slower than me, was keeping up until the turn. I told her that, and she said she has always had problems with flip turns (free or back). So we both stopped and I let her watch me and I watched her and gave her pointers, and she was starting to make improvement, when the coach asked me if I had finished the sets. He knew I hadn't and I explained that I was helping my buddy. He said to swim. I told my friend what to practice on her own and we would work some more when we can get a chance.

I really wish that if the coach does not want to help the less experienced swimmers, he would let those of us who like to teach, do it. It was during my own workout time, and I did not mind - I enjoyed helping my friend.

Don't know what to do about a coach that is always there at 4:45 am, but only pays attention to those who are fast, especially young and fast. He ingores those who he does not see potential in, and wants to make racers out of everyone, no matter what their own personal goals. He yells at us like we are 16 years old, if we decide to do something different than what he has assigned. Many of my good friends have left him and swim with another team. The pool and time work for me, so I stick with it, but am becoming more and more unhappy. Hard to get a good coach for a 5 am practice.

P.S. (this coach is NOT with MOST who I have listed as my team. I workout with MOST on Saturdays, the coach I practice with during the week and the coach I am referring to is with another team)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Short and sweet

Today I just had time for a quick swim before heading up for an overnight in Alabama. Hereís what I did:

1000 warmup

Then I decided to have another go at my FR ->BK pacman set from yesterdayís workout. Today I gave myself a more generous interval (1:40 instead of 1:30) and was able to descend the swims nicely:

5 x 100 @ 1:40, done as 100 FR, 75 FR/25 BK, 50FR/50BK, 25FR/75BK, 100 BK [1:27, 1:24, 1:22, 1:20, 1:16]

200 warmdown
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Stroke Day

by , January 13th, 2010 at 02:33 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Wednesday, 1/113/10

SCY, Solo

This workout went well, even the breaststroke which I despise!

800 mix strokes
    (mostly free & back, a little bit of fly & breast)
    8 x 50 w/5 sec. rest: 2 of each stroke, IM order, alt. kick/drill by 25

swim 4x around:
    {4 x 50 IM order, 4 x 25 IM order}
    round 1 on 55/30,
    round 2 on 1:00/30,
    round 3 on 1:05/35,
    round 4 on 1:10/35
    Make the interval on the first set, and then try to go faster as you get more rest.
    (Round 3 was my fastest round, fly - :38, back - :42, - breast - :48, free - :40.not sure of times on 25s.)

pull 6 x 75 on 1:20 breathe 7/5/3 by 25
    (swam these around 1:00, held breathing pattern)

50 easy
    --
    Total: 2900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Wednesday 1/13/10 and Tuesday 1/12/10 night

I got on the treadmill last night with every intention of taking it easy. I'll just walk and do inclines I told myself. I'm just going to get nice and loosey-goosey. Well that lasted 5 minutes. Oh, I can just run at a nice easy 10 min/mile pace I thought. That also lasted a few minutes. Before long I was alternating between a 7:30 mile pace an 8:30 mile pace ... I started to do a nice long cool down and realized I was supposed to be coaching already!?!

This morning in the pre dawn hours my alarm went off ... I felt and desperately wanted to However, I finally convinced myself to get up to take it easy at practice which I more or less did.

I was VERY late
    w/u:
    800 mix-up strokes
    8 x 50 kick/build IM order (didn't do these)

4 x (4 x 50 4 x 25) IM
    Round 1 50s on :50/ 25s on :20
    Round 2 50s on :55/25s on :25
    Round 3 50s on 1:00/25s on :30
    Round 4 50s on 1:05/25s on :35

I joined in on round 3 after trying to warm-up and actually missed the first 50 of fly ...

I tried not to push these too hard.

6 x 75 on 1:10 most everyone used a pull bouy and paddles. I'm sure that was the direction. I just swam them super easy. There was also a breathing pattern which went right out of my head on the first one. It was 7/5/3 by 25 oh well.

Tonight I am sitting on my couch eating, watching tv and going to bed by 9.

Tomorrow am: swimming
    Tomorrow pm: trainer appointment and pilates provided my muscles have not up and quit out of rebellion.

All aside ... I have not felt this sore in a LONG, LONG time. It feels very good to know I am starting off the season right. Hopefully I'll stay motivated and healthy and actually feel in shape and ready come Atlanta. Fingers crossed!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. 1/13: Kick It

by , January 13th, 2010 at 12:07 PM (Random Nonsense)
    You gotta fight for your right to swim
    because one more day on the stationary bike, there ain't no way!

1850 kick non stop done (no fins)
    - 1000 flutter on back, one arm stream line ~1:30 pace/50
    - 850 flutter with board ~1:15-1:20 pace/50

Yes slow.

My ribs ached when I got out, but they weren't too much worse than after riding the bike for 90 minutes. Coach Dave said it would take about 6 to 8 weeks to heal, and knowing him, he has had this same injury about 8 times. He also said he trained with a guy who kicked for 8 months (thanks for that thought), and when he finally came back he was blazing fast. If I have to kick for 8 months, I will be a very fast cyclist

Elbow is not completely covered with fresh pink skin and the most rib pain I have experienced in a week was when I sneezed after practice, before any ibuprofen.

Yes, I failed all classes that required rhyming and creativity.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -01/14/10 -SCY

by , January 13th, 2010 at 11:59 AM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

WARM UP:
    1 X 150 2:50
    1 X 100 1:40
    Four times through.

5 X 200 pull 3:20

4 X 100 kick 2:30

SCY

2 X 200 4:00
    Alternate by 25:
    25 yards kick, fast flutter, no board. No Fins.
    25 yards swim.

4 X 50 1:00
    1 X 400 IM 7:00
    1 X 300 IM 5:15
    1 X 200 IM -
    50's: Build each 50, 1 of each stroke, IM order.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4500Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Slow and Sluggish today

by , January 13th, 2010 at 07:20 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just had nothing today. Tried to sprint but it did not feel good. Not really sure how the meet this weekend will go.

100,200,300,400@:15R Free
    500 kick w/fins every 3rd fast alternate by 100 free/fly
    5x100 kick drills w/fins by 100 free,back,fly,back,free
    10x50 from a dive 15 meter breakouts Fast rest is easy free
    5x100@1:40 Free w/paddles & bouy long & loose

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Nerves of Steel

by , January 12th, 2010 at 10:11 PM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    "One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important.Ē
    -Bertrand Russell
    The meet director is getting nervous after today's mail.

We are now up to 47 bona fide entries. At this time last year, there were 25, with an eventual total of 172 swimmers. If current rate continues, we may end up with TOO MANY swimmers! Sardines on the pool deck and sardines behind the starting blocks don't go with tropical fish.

If the meet attracts so many swimmers, maybe a move to another pool with better capacity is in store for next year. But, no other pool is closed on Sunday mornings like this one is, (meaning we put on the boxing gloves and go a round with the county park authority and lap swimmers to get another pool to close for us.)

Past experience has been that 80 entires flood in at the last week. With about 3-5 entires arriving per day now, we could end up with about 190 swimmers.

To be finished on time and to keep the meet from degrading into a slow burn, entires in the 500 free are limited. In bygone years, swimmers were turned away about 3 weeks before the deadline. To 'service the membership,' this year we added another heat to the 500, bringing the limit up to 28. At this date, there are 24 swimmers in the event, leaving 4 slots left. I expect these to fill up after my daily pilgrimage to the almighty post office box tomorrow morning.

When too many entries chase the last remaining slots, how should we decide? Should he stay or should she go? I developed a tie-breaker system to decide who gets in over who does not on the last day:
    1. Entires that are complete get in - signed form, proper payment, card attached. Then,
    2. Entries with earliest postmark gets in. Then,
    3. Alexandria Masters and Potomac Valley swimmers get in. Then,
    4. Swimmers who have attended our meet in the past get in. And finally,
    5. The oldest swimmer(s) get in.

If there is a fairer system, I want to hear it. In past years, the ties were decided in step #2. Last year for the first time, I needed step #5 to decide which 2 of 4 swimmers got in. One swimmer left out was let in on meet day to swim 500 after someone scratched. He was happy. He entered the 500 again this year, earlier.

I'm still chasing down those lap counter cards. I called an online supplier today and inquired if I could purchase some (as a backup in case they did not arrive at our local swim shop in time.) I got a familiar answer: they are out of stock and not expected in before January 20. What happened to all the lap counter cards in the country?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -01/13/10 -SCY

by , January 12th, 2010 at 07:49 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

WARM UP:
    4 X 150 2:45
    4 X 100 1:45
    8 X 50 1:00
    50's: 25 mod/25 fast

3 X 100 kick 2:30
    6 X 50 kick 1:15
    50's: 25 fast/25 easy

SCY

1 X 300 4:30
    6 X 50 1:00
    1 X 200 3:00
    1 X 100 1:30
    All 50's: Descend 1-3/4-6

1 X 300 IM
    Transition swim

16 X 25 :40
    4 of each.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4400 Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Looking at the pool through rose-colored goggles

Today I tried out my mirrored red goggles. They made everything look so incredibly blue and wonderfulówhat started as a workout ended up turning into a long dreamy swim . Hereís how it evolved:

1000 warmup

5 x 100 FR pull w/ paddles desc. @ 1:30 [descended from 1:25 to 1:10]

3 x 100 FL w/fins (25K/25 rt arm/25 left arm/25 swim] @ 1:45
    4 x 50 FL (25 drill/25swim) @ :45

10 x 50 FRó1 each on 60, 55, 50, 45, 40, 35, 30, 40, 50, 60 [didnít quite make the 30]

5 x 100 FR->BK pacman set (100 FR, 75 FR/25 BK, 50FR/50BK, 25FR/75BK, 100 BK) @ 1:30 [I meant for the BK to be fast on these and the FR moderate, so that the set of 5 descended, but I wasn't very focused and they ended up all being about 1:25.]

Then a 30-minute easy swim mixing FR and BK [Here I just felt like staying in the pool and admiring the water without working hard, so thatís what I did. Iím feeling a little melancholy about leaving this wonderful outdoor facility behind and returning to NYCís basement pools this week, so this was my way of savoring swimming in the sunshine while I still can. I didnít even count my laps, which is very unusual for meóI usually canít turn off that part of my brain even if I want to.]

That was it! I like these red goggles (but Iím not sure why they make things look blue rather than pink) and will wear them some more.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Monday/Tuesday Mind-Bytes

by , January 12th, 2010 at 06:56 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Monday by the end of the school day I was dragging but still motivated to swim. I ended up going to LA Fitness. The pool was crowded with "Noodle People" and "Aqua Joggers" who run their laps in nasty little slip-on shoes,
    Even though this is supposed to be an "adult only" facility the pool and spa has turned into a drop-off for loud and rowdy tweens whose parents want to workout and leave the kids elsewhere. I have a hard time NOT supervising tweens who need to be supervised by someone!
    I felt nauseated and weak the moment I started swimming. I forced myself to keep going but finally ended the torture 800 yards short of the full workout.
    I'm glad I am quitting this club. The pool is not friendly to folks who are trying to get a good workout.
    It feel like the destiny of my workout is at the mercy of whomever happens to jump in my lane.
    Well enough of the negative _itching!

Tuesday I woke up still feeling YUK! I started my classes at 8:00 a.m. and by 10:00 a.m. started feeling great as normal! I was planning to swim with the NASTI's tonight but in the meantime my son Rob asked me to go with him to his favorite resturant.
    I'm really not hungry but since he goes back to Chicago for school tomorrow I guess I'll skip swimming and go with him and a couple of his friends. to Yen Ching. This empty nester thing is negatively affecting my swimming frequency. I guess I'll get up at 5 a.m. tomorrow and swim at Monon; I may possibly have a buddy to workout with at that time.

Sorry for the complainer blog; tomorrow I will be a happier bobinator!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Lil Mermaid, Tuesday, Jan. 12

by , January 12th, 2010 at 05:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Still feeling pooped out today, so I did another recovery/drill workout, the structure of which I stole and modified from a recent Tall Paul workout.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 variety
    200 fly drills

Main Set #1:

4 x 25 shooters, no fins @ :45
    1 x 200 back, negative split, smooth
    4 x 100 kick w/MF @ 1:45, focus on streamlining

Main Set #2:

6 x 25 shooters, no fins @ :45
    6 x 100 @ 2:00 done as 50 chest press fly + 50 PLD breast
    50 EZ

Main Set #3:

8 x 25 shooters, no fins, @ :45
    8 x 50 @ 1:00, done as 25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ DAB

100 EZ

Total: 3200

Drylands:

30-40 minutes of RC and stretching while watching American Idol with the girls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ack. I am ridiculously tired after a workout where I did nothing fast ... I guess on my typical 4 weeks on, 1 week recovery schedule, I may have to do most of this week as recovery. Not sure if it's the training, or the reduced sleep compared to the holidays or the involuntary low carb diet. Probably the training.

On another front, I took the plunge today and have no buyer's remorse. The hair is now red! Mini Fort announced it was really auburn and it needed more red (though she did volunteer it made me look younger), FortSon said it was orange and Lil lil Fort said it was red. It looks fairly bright in the sunshine, not as bright inside. I will have to go for a color adjustment next week. It apparently fades very fast the first week and take 3-4 colorings before the color really "sticks." So maybe I'll post a new pic next week when it's been further adjusted ... I'll put a starter pic on my profile pic. Love it though! It will be interesting to see if I "bleed" into the pool.

Article on "Caveman" Nutrition from NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/fa...10caveman.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2010 Meets:

Albatross Open
    Bethesda, MD
    March 20
    https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1409&smid=1992

Colonies Zones
    Fairfax, VA
    April 24-25
    http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...2010.Entry.pdf

USMS Nationals
    Atlanta, GA
    May 20-23
    http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats10/

Updated January 12th, 2010 at 09:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Catching up ...

I've been a bad little blogger lately! Fortunately though I've actually started real training again ... I think!

1/5/10 was only about 1,000 yards since I left my phone at work and had to go back which cost me a solid 45 minutes I could have used in the pool. Oh well.

1/6 I swam about 1,800 and ran about 3 miles

1/10 had a meet did okay considering the utter lack of training. Definitely sore for actually sprinting.

1/11 Did 2,700 couldn't remember the workout for all the tea in China. Was VERY sore. Lifted that night. Good idea in the long term bad idea for the next morning.

1/12 (this morning)
    SUPER SORE

W/U:
    400 swim
    6 x 75 kick (4-6 build)
    2 x 200 pull
    8 x 50 1-4 descend free 5-8 descend stroke

Main-Set

3 x (2 x 125 pn 1:50, 4 x 50 perfect stroke on :50, 6 x 25 2 & 5 fast on :30)

First of all I'm an idiot because I thought the 25s were either 6 on :30 OR 2 fast. Couldn't read the board right so I did 2 fast OBVIOUSLY.

Round 1 was free
    Round 2 was IM
    Round 3 was stroke (which I didn't get to)

I am sore, tired and dragging. I caved in and got Starbucks this morning, the first time in weeks!

I also scheduled an appointment with a personal trainer on Thursday. He's worked with some of my teammates and they do very athletic based stuff. I told him I'm a drop dead sprinter and need to work on explosive type stuff. I clued him in on my nagging little injuries and I'm actually really pumped. He actually commented that he's seen me workout and it seems I know what I'm doing.

I've sworn that I'd never use a trainer BUT I want to do the dynamic, explosive stuff and while I can think of things I want someone to run me through the paces. I can lift, run, swim, etc on my own. This type of training I want/need more guidance. Now I also am guaranteed one day of hard dryland a week. YEAH!

Tonight I'm going to do a bit of cardio. Due to my inability to move with out pain my intense run has been down graded ... not sure to what yet, but I'm not killing myself.

Rest of the week:
    Swimming Wednesday and Thursday am. If I do I think it'll be my first time actually making all 4 days during the week.

Thursday night: trainer and pilates

Friday: NOTHING!!!!

Saturday: Meet (thinking 50/100/200 free 50 fly and 50 back - have to register tomorrow)

Sunday: Maybe a run

Looking forward to tomorrow's evening off and sleeping in Sunday!!!

Currently debating my scy nationals events. I KNOW I am swimming 50/100/200 free, 50 Fly and 100 IM. I don't generally like the 100 IM but I want a race before the 50 free on the last day. The debate is between 50 back and 100 fly. If I can work my underwaters enough I think the 50 back will be a decent event for me. The 100 fly depends largely on my back health AND whether or not I feel like I can do it without being utterly mental.

Okay that was a ton of catching up ... off to finish up some work so I can actually make it to the gym and beat myself up some more ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Pieces of IMs

Monday I swam solo. I had the entire pool to myself during the mid-afternoon (although only 5 lanes were uncovered). Hereís what I did:

1000 warmup

4 x {3 x 50 w/ fins @ 1:00 (1st 25 FL with extended underwaters, descending 1-3, 2nd 25 of all easy BK} [This set confirmed my suspicion that fins are an alien species out to conquer Earth by attaching themselves to us and sucking all the oxygen out of our bodies. Even though this set had generous intervals and included only 4 25s done all out, I had trouble recovering between them.]

3 x {3 x 75 (50 BK/25 BR) @ 1:30, 1:20, 1:10} [Goal was to do #s 3,6, and 9 under 1:00, made it but barely]

25 easy

6 x 100 (50 BR, 50 FR) @ 200, odds K, evens Swim [I focused on working my turns on these]

400 pull w/ paddles

400 IM w/ fins, alt. K/S by 50 [did FL kick instead of BR kick]

200 warmdown
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Tuesday, 1/12/10

by , January 12th, 2010 at 11:49 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo
    After feeling so sluggish yesterday today I felt pretty good.

400 swim free
    8 x 50 w/5 sec. rest kick/drill/25
    (did these as 2x IM order)
    2 x 200 pull w/15 sec. rest, breathe 3/5 by 50
    kick 4 x 100 (no fins) w/20 sec. rest, build by 25
    (alternated odds with board and evens on back without)

swim 4x around w/30 sec rest (odd rounds free, even rounds choice)
    {
    75 build w/15 sec. rest
    25 FAST
    (free on odds, actual swim time around 1:15
    Back on evens, actual swim time around 1:25)
    }

swim 16 x 25 choice on 30:
    (odds in IM order fast, evens easy free)

100 back
    --
    Total: 2500 yards

Evening run on treadmill at gym.
    walk 0.1 mi to warmup
    run 3 mi starting at 10 min/mi and increasing speed every 1/4 mi to 8 min mi at finish.
    jog/walk .25 mi to cool

Updated January 13th, 2010 at 02:34 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized