View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. A few 50's

by , June 3rd, 2009 at 06:10 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM with Carrie

400 swim free
    (I swam every 4th 25 back)
    4 x 25 drill choice w/5 sec. (free drills)
    300 pull choice (with buoy only)
    4 x 25 drill w/5 sec. (free drills)
    200 kick w/board (no fins)
    swim 6 x 25 build on 35 (did all free)

swim 3 sets of 6 x 50 free:
    hold a faster average on each set, the last set should be pretty fast.

set 1 on 55, (went :40-:41)
    set 2 on 1:05, (went :39-:40)
    set 3 on 1:15; (went :36-:37, this one hurt a little)
    100 easy

kick 12 x 25 on 45; choice of strokes and equipment: #3, 5, 8, 11 fast
    (mixed this up with free with board and without, and dolphin on back. Around 22-25 on the fast ones near 30 on the rest)

100 swim down
    --
    Total: 2650 meters

Weight training later today
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Back to the pool!

by , June 3rd, 2009 at 02:31 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    OK so sore butt and locked hip joints have somewhat abated, and my system has recovered from the energy dearth subsequent to the long bike ride. Thus I decided to go back to swimming. I'm forgoing weights due to my hip this week but may try the elliptical again tomorrow.

500 W/U 125, 125, 150, 50, 50.
    500 Drill by 100 Side kick, 3 n glide, snorkel, snorkel, head position by 25s (head up, 1/2 up, 1/4 up , flat)

10 x 75 on 1:10 got 5 in then an interruption with a "Hey, I love your accent!" Went back to swimming now subconsciously going faster to impress the accent admirer. Ended up with a few 1:15's too.
    200 EZ
    12 x 25 kick :45 mod x 3, 1 x fast ; 3 times thru.
    4 x 50 Fly Drill
    4 x 50 Fly on 2:00
    200 EZ
    100 BR P
    100 BR K
    100 BR P/FLY K
    150 EZ

90 mins.

Updated June 3rd, 2009 at 04:23 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Wednesday, June 3

by , June 3rd, 2009 at 02:11 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I'm taking a rest day today.

Core:

Here are some challenging core exercises. I haven't watched all the video, but some of the exercises look fun and could provide a nice break from the standard exercises.

http://www.ab-core-and-stomach-exerc...-workouts.html

Here is a blog entry from David Guthrie from the flowswimming site that captures my take on the B70:

Swimming Blogs - David Guthrie

older | newer
    Why I Love My Suit
    David Guthrie | Profile
    May 22, 2009

"One overlooked aspect of the tech suit revolution is that body suits allow swimmers to race faster all season without shaving down. The training model of a sin wave with long deep troughs of fatigue with brief sharp peaks twice a year is not the best recipe for performance. It is far better to develop speed, strength, and conditioning year round than to dig a deep hole and hope that you can climb out of it in time for that one shot at going fast.

Without body suits, swimmers with very much body hair (like me) have the option of shaving or fighting excessive drag. I want to train with increased drag, but not race against it. Training with hair is much better than using a drag suit because hair distributes the resistance over the entire surface of the body, not just in one concentrated area. So I don't want to shave during the season, but I still want to race fast so my body can understand what I'm expecting it to do. Swimming unshaved doesn't provide a very accurate barometer for performance. I recently had a coach who didn't like the idea of wearing body suits during the season. He thought is was like cheating, like shaving without tapering. He thought the times were not valid and that it would somehow take away from the end of season performances. But my philosophy is, if I'm going to stand up on the blocks with a clock running and official results recorded, I'm going to swim as fast as I can. I don't see the point of wearing a drag suit or creating any other handicap during in-season meets, in other words, of intentionally swimming slow in meets. This approach may not produce dramatic end of season drops, but I find it produces faster end of season times. Which would you prefer?

A few decades ago, when the Eastern European programs dominated the scene, they developed a much shorter training cycle of about 6 weeks from peak to peak. The more often they swam fast, the faster they were able to train and perform. They swam fast all year long. This kind of flattened training cycle without the traditional deep fatigue troughs is something we've been seeing more and more of over the past couple of years. The world's leading swimmers can step up and swim fast every time they race. One reason for this trend is that mature swimmers are staying in the sport and their bodies have adapted to the stress of training. They don't dig deep holes and flounder all season, hoping for a miracle at the end of the season. We don't see the dramatic drops at the end of the season tapers like we used to because that model of training is incredibly inefficient. Tapering for elite swimmers is more like fine-tuning, not a full-blown resurrection. Swimming fast often is essential today.

I love my polyurethane suit because it works and it lasts and it allows me to simulate end of season conditions year round without shaving down. Unlike lycra, my polyurethane suit holds up to repeated use, so I can afford to use it all season long (year after year). Are we training to train, or training to race? If you want to race fast, you have to practice racing. The polyurethane suits are infinitely better than lycra. It's kind of amazing that suit manufacturers have been able to get us to buy expensive lycra crap all this time. Talk about planned obsolescence! For decades the industry has sold us expensive lycra suits that were designed to rapidly disintegrate and send us back to buy another one. Lycra soaks up water and loses its effectiveness almost immediately. It falls apart when exposed to chlorine. Duh. Gee, isn't there some other material that would tolerate the aquatic environment better? Of course there is. Polyester and polyurethane are practically indestructible. The problem is that Speedo has borrowed a page from Detroit's book and wants to sell more product by intentionally producing equipment that doesn't last. I just bought a pair of expensive metallic Speedo goggles that started fogging up after three swims. What's up with that? They're in the business of disposable products, that's what. And by that measure, the LZR is their pinnacle achievement."

Tech Suits:

Tried on the XS Rocket Science suit I got in the mail. I was a little skeptical when I realized it looked enormous next to my size 24 B70. And, in fact, it doesn't fit at all; got it on in about 10 seconds. I suspect I was sent a men's size. It's cut very narrowly in the chest area. I gave them my height and approx. weight, so they should have gotten the order right. Returning it.

And another excellent article by David Guthrie on tech suits:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...n%20the%20Suit

Food:

Breakfast: oatmeal, banana
    Lunch: "superfood" salad from Whole Food (not sure exactly what's in it, but I recall reading gogi berries, acai, tomatoes, spinach, onions and some other things); yogurt; plum
    snack: peach, frozen custard (my 10% crap)
    dinner: bad -- cheese and crackers around 9:30 pm. wasn't home between 3:00 and 8:30 basically.

Updated June 4th, 2009 at 08:44 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  4. Keeping it light

by , June 3rd, 2009 at 12:46 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Well, after considering things, I've decided to keep my yardage light this week in light of the meet on Saturday. I'm not going to gain anything this week or even for Nationals by upping my yardage this week. I've cut the running out this week and the weights. I'm not looking to swim particularly fast this weekend as my time in the pool is not really there, but felt my body maybe needed a little break this week. I've been lifting heavy weights (for me) for two months now, so a little break probably would be good. I'd like to run, but I'm such a kicker and very reliant upon my legs when I swim, that I'll just be asking for some not so good times.

I'm going to wear an FS-II. I'm going to wait for the FINA answer on the B-70 later this month before making the decision to wear it for Nationals.

Swam 2,000 yesterday with son. He was asked over to a friend's house by someone he had not seen in a couple of years. I let him go and miss his 2:00 p.m. swim team workout on the condition that he would swim with me at noon. So, here is a workout you can do with your 10 year old swimmer:

400 Reverse I.M. warm-up
    100 kick with fins
    10 x 50 free on 1:15
    3 x 200 kick with fins - 30 seconds rest
    1 x 200 fly - one arm only
    4 x 25 AFAP -one of each stroke
    100 easy

I'm hoping to grab another swim this afternoon. I'll be glad when the meet gets here as I'm eager to jump on my bike. Probably will end up going for a run instead the day after the meet.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Wed Jun 3rd, 2009 confusing set

by , June 3rd, 2009 at 11:48 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Jun 3rd, 2009

Thinking about doing a 5k this Saturday

Bought a new PRO today, my other pro is getting old.

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM & scy
    6:30 - 8:00
    Whitney Coached
    TSC main pool
    swam with Tyler, Todd, Larry, Nate, & Brad

Warm Up LCM
    250 fr
    50 fl
    250 fr
    50 br
    250 fr
    50 bk

Main Set LCM

4 x 400 desc 1:00 rest between each done:
    25 fl
    turn around in the middle of the pool
    25 bk,
    50 fl
    25 bk
    25 br,
    50 bk
    25 br
    25 fr,
    50 br
    25 fr
    25 fr,
    50 fr
    I messed up on the first one, didn't catch the turn around in the middle of the pool part

400 fr

switch to diving well SCY

3 x 400 fr desc 1:00 rest between each

3 x 50 flutter kick with a board on :40
    Made it
    50 easy

Made it
    50 easy

Made it
    50 easy

100 easy

NEXT MEETS

Senior Circuit #3
    Fri June 12 - 14, 2009
    10 Days away
    Austin, TX
    Events Entered:
    04 400 Freestyle (2) 5:07.03 scy 500 fr
    10 050 Freestyle 24.50 LCM
    14 200 Freestyle 1:50.70 scy
    18 200 Backstroke 2:21.04 LCM
    20 100 Butterfly 51.80 scy
    28 200 Individual Medley 2:24.08 LCM
    38 050 Butterfly (3) 51.80 scy

USMS South Central Zone Long Course Championship Meet
    Fri July 18 - 19 2009
    Woodlands, TX
    Meet Entry Form
    Found out Aerosmith is playing with ZZ Top on
    Friday July 17th at the
    Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion in the Woodlands
    Tickets

Updated June 3rd, 2009 at 04:58 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Really Pushed Myself...

Workout
    200 Warm up
    We did
    3 x 25 (swim,kick,swim,drill)
    3 x
    I just can't remember exactly and this drives me nuts, but I went thru this briefly with someone else who also says they don't remember exactly either however yardage sets came to

800 yds, sets of 25's x swim, kick swim, drill
    600 yds, sets of 50's free/ choice
    500 yds, kicking free/Im
    then I pushed
    3 x 100 free fast...not sure of time, darn it
    3 x 100 I M not sure but all out,
    3 X 100 choice (started poopin out)
    3 minute intervals.
    cool down

When will I be able to post my workouts from practice with the ease I see of other.
    It was concluded that yardage was about 3200
    Remembered to push hard off walls. I felt good about my flipturns. Sombersaulting completely onto back before rolling out and stroking without taking a breath coming out of the turn sometimes.

Father's Day is coming up and maybe that is why I feel blah. My Dad past away last July from Alzheimers. He was the best life coach I ever had and also my biggest fan.

Updated June 5th, 2009 at 04:10 AM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Wednesday 6/2 - Another solid swim

by , June 3rd, 2009 at 07:33 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I am alittle disappointed that the distance meet this weekend got cancelled but I will just refocus for the Cuttino meet in 2 weeks.

10x100 @ 1:50 Free held 1:45's
    10x100 @ :10 Rest Free kick w/fins in various positions 4 were with the snorkle and good head position
    10x50 @ 1:00 Fly w/fins odds swim evens 25 rt arm/25 lt arm
    500 Free w/paddles & bouy did not push this since muscle in the front of my left arm is alittle tweaky today
    5x100 @ 2:15 IM
    500 Free every 3rd lap back EZ

Total 4000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. straight leg deadlift

I've finally started doing deadlifts, or one type of deadlift.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...gDeadlift.html

They seem to have helped with underwater dolphin kicking. With my kicking, there's only room to improve!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Lapping behind the sailboats....

I just felt like swimming in the lake today so I drove up to the sailboat club. I am trying to figureout how long it is when I swim behind the sailboats that are lined up.

I wonder if there is some kind of watch you can wear to tell your distance?

I used the tailend of the boats to stay in a straight line. That forced me in one of the directions to consistantly breath on my right side for a long time in order to make use of the boats stay straight. Up went my head way too high and down to the bottom of the lake went the opposite arm. But counting on the boats to stay in line I was forced to not give in until I slowly started trusting and sweeping the arm back instead of down. When I got it right it felt so effortless.
    It seems like I can't get a day where my swim just feels great the whole time. I had a few of those a while back. Oh well...
    I swam an hour and guessing on the length of the dock...I haven't got a clue really about my distance, and I put alot of thought into how to figure this out.
    Trying to get 4 swims in this week.
    Going to do the my speed is horrible endurance push and test at the end of the week.

Updated June 2nd, 2009 at 08:16 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Dryland + Aerobic Swim, Tuesday, June 2

by , June 2nd, 2009 at 06:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Weights/Dryland:

rack pull, 135 x 3 x 8
    military press, 40 x 2 x 15 (20 lb DBs)
    elevated crunches w/med ball, 2 x 25
    long arm crunches, 2 x 25
    reverse crunches w/yoga ball, 2 x 25
    planks, 3 x 1:00
    15 superman streamlines on bosu
    forward lunges w/12.5 lb DBs, 2 x 25
    prone scapular scrunches w/5 lb DBs, 1 x 25
    external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm

plyos:

modified bench hops with hands placed on middle of bench as described last week, 1 x 1:00
    lateral box hops from left to right between two boxes, 2 x 1:00

15 minutes stretching

Note: I think my body is somewhat adapting to the lunging and squating. Hamstrings are still periodically sore, but not nearly as much.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Decided to do an aerobic swim, as I'm feeling fatigued. (I had the 4:30 am swim carpool shift on Monday. It seems like it takes me a few days to recover from that.) Plus, I don't believe I've had a day off in awhile ... I'll have to look back at the blog.

Warm up:

700 variety warm up

Aerobic Sets:

40 x 50, done as:

1-10 backstroke @ :50
    11-20 dolphin kick w/MF & board @ :45
    21-30 backstroke @ :50
    31-40 flutter kick w/fins & board @ :45

Took 1:00 rest between sets.

100 EZ
    150 scull
    100 EZ

Total: 3000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dara Torres Book:

I'm 2/3 through her new book. Like many sports biographies, it's not terribly well written, very breezy and non-substantive. I was hoping it would have more detail. There's virtually no discussion of her non-traditional strength training regimen with the exception that initially (during a "rehab" phase) she was making letter shapes with hand weights while balancing on a bosu. She also states that her new strength training made her very lithe and caused her to lose 10 pounds very quickly, but she doesn't explain why or how. I guess she's keeping these secrets for her post-retirement DVD!

Her training regimen is indeed impressive, comprising 7 hours each day. The resistance stretching is interesting ... it essentially seems to involve contracting muscles while you're stretching to increase both strength and flexibility. A huge amount of time is devoted to stretching, massage and chiro. I had to chuckle when she said she could feel her muscles tightening (after a mashing, no less) as she headed to the blocks for the 50 free in Beijing ... Imagine what she'd think if she lived in our non-pampered masters bodies for a day ...

Food:

Breakfast: omelet w/cheese, tomatoes and mushrooms, banana
    Snack: crackers w/hummus
    Lunch: apple, plum, shrimp (while in car, lol)
    Post Swim Snacks: G2, balance bar, blueberries, peach
    Dinner: chicken breast; salad with romaine, peas, sprouts, green onions, green peppers, tomatoes, carrots; kiwi
    Snack:stoneground crackers w/black bean dip

I'm still pretty hungry in the late afternoon. I must not be eating enough at lunch? Or need more snacks?

Updated June 3rd, 2009 at 11:50 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  11. What will happen next?

by , June 2nd, 2009 at 01:42 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Today got off to a rocky start. Barking dog (mine) kept waking me up last night. Then I went to put up flags and they were a tangled mess and it took 5-10 extra minutes to get them up. So I got started about 15 min later than usual. Then I start to put the paddles on for the pull set and the tubing breaks and I don't have a spare piece in my bag (I do now).

Other than that, everything's peachy!

SCM, Solo

200 swim free
    200 kick choice
    200 pull free breathe 3/5 by 50 (w/buoy only)
    200 back

pull 4 x 250 free on 4:15 w/paddles: work on keeping the elbow higher than the hand on the whole stroke. If the interval's giving you more than 15 sec. rest, descend 1-4 as well
    (no paddles. went 3:52, 3:50, 3:45, 3:42)
    100 easy

swim 2 sets of 6 x 50 on 1:00: round 1, #3 and 6 fast free; round 2, #2 and 5 fast no free
    (round 1 went 43-43-36-45-45-37
    round 2, (back) went 50-42-55-50-44-55)

swim down 200
    --
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Germis (TM) for the Dermis

by , June 2nd, 2009 at 01:14 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    First, a quick recap of the attempt to exercise every day without a break for a month. The numbers refer to yards in the pool; weight and tennis refer to Nautilus circuits and either doubles or singles or both, for a minimum of 2 hours (though it's usually 3 hours 15 minutes, and on Sunday it was 4 hours).

Here are where we are so far. If it doesn't rain, and I play tennis today, I will have technically satisfied my self-imposed challenge, having made a continuous month without a break, the month being a non-leap year February's 28 days.

1. 3150 sickish
    2. 500 weights
    3. 3200
    4. weights
    5. tennis
    6. 4500
    7. weights
    8. 3800
    9. weights
    10. 5000
    11. weights
    12. tennis
    13. 5300
    14. tennis
    15. 4900
    16. weights
    17. 4500
    18. weights
    19. tennis
    20. 4600
    21. weights
    22. 4100
    23. tennis
    24. 3850
    25. weights
    26. 525 tennis
    27. 4400
    28. tennis if it doesn't rain?

I began this quest by accident. After Colony Zones, I came home, swam the Monday practice, but by Wednesday was too sick too move. I didn't return to any form of exercise whatsoever until the following Wed., May 6th (note the adjective "sickish" above.)

Leslie had by then convinced me to try weight lifting, plus tennis season was upon us, and my self-disgust was so high after 9 days of being a lallygagging layabout slugabed that I decided to try to catch up by exercising everyday for a while. After 11 days, I recognized I was on a streak.

I continued onwards, almost like when I quit drinking: each new day of sobriety (or, in this case, abstinence from slugabedding) only inspiring me to keep it up.

All went well until last week. On Thursday, my throat was sore, my lungs filled with sputum, and my muscles achy. I'd arranged to play singles at the high school with my friend John Delaney at 4:30. At 3, I fell asleep on the couch. At 3:30, I woke briefly to the sound of thunder, realized tennis would be canceled, told myself I could weight lift instead, fell back asleep.

John called me at 4:15, waking me again, and asking if we were still on for tennis. I told him it had rained and the courts were drenched. He told me it hadn't rained where he lived, five miles away, and the high school courts were bone dry.

I met him at the courts and played for 3 hours 15 minutes, and actually played the best I had all year, despite sickness.

The next day, I felt much, much worse, and was ready to skip practice, but the streak wouldn't permit it.

I went and swam slow. But Bill got me to race him on the fast push-off 100 (he'd just done a 1:57 on the fast push-off 200). I did a 59; he did a 52.9.

Then, on the fast push-off 50, he did butterfly, which forced me to try. He did a 27 flat. I did a high 26 for freestyle.

Saturday, I woke up at noon, feeling awful. I forced myself to go do Nautilus, came home, went back to sleep, spent the rest of the day watching True Blood reruns and the French Open.

Sunday, I played tennis for four hours, which was very fun, though my shoulder is a bit sore now. Yesterday, I swam our "distance" practice:

600 warm up
    8 x 100 on 1:20
    6 x 50 kick
    4 x 500 descend
    200 warm down
    4400 total

I am a wreck today, and it's threatening to rain, but I am absolutely committed to playing tennis or doing Nautilus to keep the streak alive.

Could this be my cure?

Regular readers of this vlog may have noticed that I am sickly.

Some have suggested hypochondria, the "some" here being pretty much everybody I have ever met since sliding out the abdominal C-section of my beloved mother in 1952.

Finally, the reason for my regular bouts of illness have become clear. I refer your attention to a recent AP story, some of which I shall excerpt here for your edification:

Scientists find bacterial zoo thrives in our skin

May 28, 4:25 PM (ET)

By LAURAN NEERGAARD

WASHINGTON (AP) - Eeeww. There's a zoo full of critters living on your skin - a bacterial zoo, that is. Consider your underarm a rain forest. Healthy skin is home to a much wider variety of bacteria than scientists ever knew, says the first big census of our co-inhabitants. And that's not a bad thing, said genetics specialist Julia Segre of the National Institutes of Health, who led the research.

Sure they make your sneakers stinky, "but they also keep your skin moist and make sure if you get a wound that (dangerous) bacteria don't enter your bloodstream," she said. "We take a lot for granted in terms of how much they contribute to our health."

The skin research, published in Friday's edition of the journal Science, is part of that project. Scientists decoded the genes of 112,000 bacteria in samples taken from a mere 20 spots on the skin of 10 people. Those numbers translated into roughly 1,000 strains, or species, of bacteria, Segre said, hundreds more than ever have been found on skin largely because the project used newer genetic techniques to locate them.

Topography matters, a lot, the researchers reported. If a moist, hairy underarm is like a rain forest, the dry inside of the forearm is a desert. They harbor distinctly different bacteria suited to those distinctly different environments. In fact, the bacteria under two unrelated people's underarms are more similar than the bacteria that lives on one person's underarm and forearm.

Mom's advice to wash behind your ears notwithstanding, that spot contained the least diverse bacteria - 19 species on average. The most diverse spot: the forearm, which averaged 44 species....

... Segre hopes knowing there are so many bacteria alters how people think about the relationship.

"I'm a mother of two small children; I believe very strongly in sanitation, washing your hands," Segre said. But, "we have to understand that we live in harmony with bacteria and they are part of us as super-organisms ... and not just conceive of bacteria as bad and germs and smelly."

You may suspect I am joking here, but I am not: swimming, I am convinced, is what is making me sick. (It's also making me healthy, and I don't plan to stop, but the sick-inducement part of it needs some sort of remedy. More on this in a moment.)

Actually, it isn't swimming per se that makes me sick, but regular immersion in the chlorinated water. The delicate ecosystem of my germ-riddled skin is being thrown out of whack by the germ-killing powers of chlorine, allowing evil flora and fauna to attack me once the protective flora and fauna have been felled.

For years, I have not "needed" to use soap or deodorant provided I swim every other day. To me, it seems impossible to believe that any dirt can survive on a body that thrashes about in water for 1.5 hours at a time. At this point, soap only dries out the skin and makes me itch. Good riddance.

(Note: I have also avoided brushing my teeth for decades, fearing I might tamper with the delicate ecology of my mouth, but that's a different story and the topic of a future vlog.)

But it looks like a complete lack of hygiene is not enough to keep me healthy. I need some way to re-infect myself with skin germs post-practice.

You know those new types of yogurts that supposedly add "probiotics" to your digestive tract? Probiotics is a code word for health germs.

I need a skin moisturizer containing all sorts of probiotics--a witch's brew of thriving bacteria evolved to live on my skin and protect me after practice. Perhaps I could trademark such a product myself:

Germis (TM) --for whenever you are too clean for your own good: Germis for the Dermis!

Alas, I will need seed money to pioneer Germis for the Dermis, which I imagine at this point will be a dirt-covered slathering salve filled with all manner of healthful E. coli and other strains we need to feel our best and smell our worst!

Until then, I must come up with another solution.

Along these lines, are there any filthy women out there that would be willing to give me a full body rub down apres workout to restore to my skin the pestilence I need to stay healthy?

It's 1 o'clock--only three and a half hours to tennis...

If there's one good thing about land sports in the summer, they do keep your skin nice and germ-riddled, provided, that is, you can resist the urge to shower afterward.

Alas, if you can't resist such an urge, I urge you to slather yourself dun-colored with Germis for the Dermis (when it becomes available)--and until then, find a filthy member of the sex you are oriented towards and try to coax a germ exchange pronto.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Tue Jun 2nd, 2009

by , June 2nd, 2009 at 12:08 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue Jun 2nd, 2009

Thinking about doing a 5k this Saturday

Lifted Weights at World Gym this Morning before practice

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM
    6:30 - 8:00
    Whitney Coached
    TSC main pool
    swam with Tyler, Todd, Larry, Mike, Marcio, Brandon, & Amy

Warm Up LCM
    10 minutes choice

Main Set LCM

40 x 50 FR STRONG on 1:10
    instruction was to pick a strong pace & hold it
    leave 10 sec apart
    held 30's, 31's & 32's
    worked them all, it was grueling
    dove the last one
    went 27
    no Ande-Save-UP on this set
    did 3 - 6 SDKs on each push off

100 easy

(there was more but I had to get out at 7:30 to make an 8:00 business meeting)

those who stayed, reorganized lanes,
    since UT men were getting in at 7:30

another 100 easy
    then

20 x 50's on 1:00
    hold the same pace you did on for the 40 on 1:10

NEXT MEETS

Senior Circuit #3
    Fri June 12 - 14, 2009
    11 Days away
    Austin, TX
    Events Entered:
    04 400 Freestyle (2) 5:07.03 scy 500 fr
    10 050 Freestyle 24.50 LCM
    14 200 Freestyle 1:50.70 scy
    18 200 Backstroke 2:21.04 LCM
    20 100 Butterfly 51.80 scy
    28 200 Individual Medley 2:24.08 LCM
    38 050 Butterfly (3) 51.80 scy

USMS South Central Zone Long Course Championship Meet
    Fri July 18 - 19 2009
    Woodlands, TX
    Meet Entry Form
    Found out Aerosmith is playing with ZZ Top on
    Friday July 17th at the
    Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion in the Woodlands
    Tickets
  14. Tuesday 6/2 - Good Quality Day

by , June 2nd, 2009 at 07:46 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I will be pacing McKaylin in the 800 this weekend so I thought about doing an 800 this morning.

1000 as 200 swim/pull/swim/kick/swim

5x100 @ :10 Rest Fly kick on back w/fins a good ab workout
    5x100 @ :05 Rest Back drills w/fins #1 Fashion model, #2 partial recovery #3 arms perpendicular #4 catch up #5 fashion model

5x100 @ 2:00 Back w/paddles held 1:54's
    800 Free w/paddles & bouy for time 12:06 not bad considering I went an 11:57 at the meet a week and a half ago. At the 600 mark I actually toyed with the idea of just doing a 1500 but then decided against it for now.

200 free EZ
    500 free every 3rd lap back EZ

Total 4000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. 1Jun09 - Gym & Swim

by , June 1st, 2009 at 11:34 PM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    10 am - Lords Gym - Placerville
    Warm- Plank :60, double leg rotation x8 each way.
    Someone stole the pin out of the assisted pull-up machine, so I went straight to freeweights.
    Did 3x15 of all my routines.
    Finished with medicine ball as the gym was getting too crowded to get swiss ball time.

5:30-7:00 pm - Aquasol Masters - Union Mine High School-SCY- Coach Janine
    Since the Aquasol swim teams (Age-groupers thru Masters) changed their swim times, I am now able to swim with the teams at least 3x a week. M-W-F So no YMCA solo for the next month.

Todays workout was really easy, however with the earlier full- gym workout, I was too sore to enjoy it.
    Warm 200 ( I always do 400-600)
    6x25 Kick all out on 1:00 (held :24)
    4x100 FR 25 gallop scull / 25 swim 2:00 (1:40's)
    (scull one hand 6-8 times, then 3 full strokes, repeat with opposite hand) This one was my fault, I was talking about the 5x100 25 2 hand scull/25 swim at Folsom....
    5x50 FR :45
    5x50 BK 1:00
    200 FR ---Sprint into the walls, breakout w/ 2 strokes no breath (gasp)
    3x100 BR -- 25 3 kick hands back, touch feet/25 1 potato, 2 potato.
    200 FR w/d.
    (Coach said I could stay and do Seniors workout, but they were emphasizing BR so I did;
    100 BK Pull
    200 BK (didn't look at the time)
    200 w/d

One thing I learn being 97% solo is I plan my own workout, I pysch out and know whats coming.
    I told my coach that I could have done a set of 200's with the breakouts, np in the mornings. She said that with a coach, you dont see it coming, so Im not ready for it...Coach Janine doesn't post the workout, she calls them out and we dont know whats coming!
    ---Im changing GYM to Tue-Thursday-Sat. I simply am not superhuman enough to Gym then Swim.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Early am Swimming

by , June 1st, 2009 at 09:54 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Summer School started today at CHS. I got up early (4:45 am) so I could swim LCM in the CHS natatorium. I decided to do a 1 hour swim for lack of any other ideas. I really didn't push it too hard but I felt good. I ended up with 3650 LCM.
    The showers were cold so it was a quickie! I had time to down a pbj, banana, and some purple grapes before the 7:30 am staff first day meeting. I going to do the same schedule tomorrow but a different workout.
    CHS has a great indoor LCM natatorium! I noticed one strange thing today. They changed their very wide 8 LCM lanes into 12 thinner lanes by stretching a thick tight chain across the gutter at each end. The problem is the lines on the bottom of the pool are messed-up. I kept hitting the lane with my fingers when I was coming back and swimming down the middle when I was going down. It was making me a little crazy!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. A Little Money in the Bank

by , June 1st, 2009 at 09:00 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Why is it when you drive in the heat that you feel like you have been hit by a bus even though you have air conditioning? Drove 140 miles today so that son could get braces put on his teeth. It hit 90 today. By the time I got home, I was beat. I somehow got down to the Y pool.

The dungeon air was even hotter than it was outside. The former professional triathlete I sometimes swim with had moved his trainer outside to the pavallion. That is how bad it was. He usually does a 3,000 swim, and after a quick change, jumps on the trainer on the pool deck for an hour spin workout.

After LC Nationals, I intend to start doing the spin workouts with the tri guy. His workouts will kill me, but this is the only hope I have if I ever want to do tris again. I've already learned quite a bit from him on the cycling aspect. One set I can remember that seemed helpful was doing spins at 130 rpms for 45 seconds. Another suggestion he made was on my training rides, try to keep the RPMs over 100 even in the big ring. I'm convinced this paid off. In my tri races, I would usually try to hold 85 to 90 rpm pushing some pretty big gears. This felt easy after having held it between 100 and 110 on training rides.

Anyway, got in a small bit of yardage - 2,000 yards. As one of my coaches used to say, "A practice is like depositing money in the bank and the meets are like making a withdrawal." Well, I guess I can say today was a very small deposit.

One of the sets I did today was 6 x 50 on 1:30 (no fins)- 90% effort. On odds, did free/fly and on evens did back/free. Either my back has gotten much better or my fly is hurting because my even 50s were a second or two faster than my odd 50s. I tend to think my fly is hurting. This is strange because I felt great when I was doing the all out 25s on Saturday. Was off yesterday, so maybe I got sluggish?

I truly admire those that are able to be on the road a good bit and find the energy to train.

Updated June 1st, 2009 at 09:22 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Found out my open water time was actually...

1:06 and not 1:32. Closer to my goal of one hour!

I also realized I hit my ring toe so hard on a rock that it is more purple than Tom thumbs' plum! Unbelievable.

I was hoping my shoulder would feel better by now. I havn't been doing my rotator exercises and it shows. I must do those.

Today I tried my best adaptation of "Help my speed is horrible start up.

After warming up
    I timed my 25 yd and 50 yd.
    My 25 is 18sec
    My 50 is 36 sec. The same since I started this journal in Jan. pretty much.

did 12 x 25's 18 secs in 45 intervals every single one no change. Heartrate at end of set about 138 secs.

Various 200's- swim, kick, sdk,
    Reported my observations to Ande's thread.

Wasn't focused on yardage today.

Updated June 1st, 2009 at 06:19 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Short But Nasty, Monday, June 1

by , June 1st, 2009 at 03:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Just had time for a short weight/dryland workout and a short swim.

Weights/Dryland:

Used the Paramount double cable machine today. Hadn't used that in awhile. Did:

standing one arm pushes, 35 x 1 x 15, each arm, 30 x 1 x 15, each arm
    reclining one arm tricep press w/elevated legs, 25 x 2 x 12, each arm
    core/leg exercise (lay down on back, head facing machine, put handles of cable under shoe, lift legs then hips up, pull down slowly), 50 x 2 x 15

Then did:

hi lat row
    140 x 1 x 4
    160 x 1 x 3
    180 x 1 x 3
    190 x 2 x 8

goblet squat w/50 lb weight, 2 x 15
    forward lunges w/12.5 DBs, 2 x 20
    crunches w/med ball, 2 x 25
    elevated crunches on bench w/ 12.5 lb weight at feet, 2 x 25
    external rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each side
    prone scapular scrunches w/elevated feet & 5 lb DBs, 2 x 25

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Speed set:

A little bird reminded me that I should probably do some fast 75s for my LC 50s. Took that very sound advice today. I don't usually like 75s much because I can't see the pace clock well at one end. So all times could be slightly off.

10 x (75 backstroke w/fins + 25 EZ)(Swam w/fins as shoulder has been a little twingy since my "endurance fly" set last week.)
    1-5 @ 2:15
    6-10 @ 2:30
    50 EZ after #5
    Went: 46 (still warming up)/43/43/42/41 & 42, 43, 42, 41.5-42, 40.5-41

200 C/D

Total: 1700

Food:

Breakfast: oatmeal w/peanut butter, apple
    (Took Patrick's suggestion and added some peanut butter for protein. Can't say I was too thrilled with the taste though.)
    Lunch: Salad with romaine, grilled chicken, green onion, green pepper, sprouts, flax seed, currants, blueberries; quinoa w/chick peas
    Post swim snack: G2, balance bar in car on way home
    Dinner: barbecued shrimp, veggy kebobs w/mushrooms, tomatoes, eggplant and pepper, 1/2 slice of delicious 7 grain bread
    (Mr. Fort brought that back from the farmers' market -- along with a cache of other breads and fresh cinnamon rolls. ).
    Snack: plum, trail mix, glass of chard

Updated June 2nd, 2009 at 11:12 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  20. Please Sir, I want some more

by , June 1st, 2009 at 02:41 PM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    5 days to go until the big race..

Imagine my horror when I checked out the donations page on the race site this morning and saw that one of the other entrants has MORE DONATIONS THAN ME!!

I am most seriously displeased.

If anyone would like to help me address this travesty, please go to:

http://www.nycswim.org/Event/Event.a...from=donations

and make a donation in my real name (Amanda Hunt).

My charity is the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and I'm giving away a free ShamWow to everyone who donates $10 or more in my name

Categories
    Uncategorized