View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. 1Jun09 - Gym & Swim

by , June 1st, 2009 at 11:34 PM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    10 am - Lords Gym - Placerville
    Warm- Plank :60, double leg rotation x8 each way.
    Someone stole the pin out of the assisted pull-up machine, so I went straight to freeweights.
    Did 3x15 of all my routines.
    Finished with medicine ball as the gym was getting too crowded to get swiss ball time.

5:30-7:00 pm - Aquasol Masters - Union Mine High School-SCY- Coach Janine
    Since the Aquasol swim teams (Age-groupers thru Masters) changed their swim times, I am now able to swim with the teams at least 3x a week. M-W-F So no YMCA solo for the next month.

Todays workout was really easy, however with the earlier full- gym workout, I was too sore to enjoy it.
    Warm 200 ( I always do 400-600)
    6x25 Kick all out on 1:00 (held :24)
    4x100 FR 25 gallop scull / 25 swim 2:00 (1:40's)
    (scull one hand 6-8 times, then 3 full strokes, repeat with opposite hand) This one was my fault, I was talking about the 5x100 25 2 hand scull/25 swim at Folsom....
    5x50 FR :45
    5x50 BK 1:00
    200 FR ---Sprint into the walls, breakout w/ 2 strokes no breath (gasp)
    3x100 BR -- 25 3 kick hands back, touch feet/25 1 potato, 2 potato.
    200 FR w/d.
    (Coach said I could stay and do Seniors workout, but they were emphasizing BR so I did;
    100 BK Pull
    200 BK (didn't look at the time)
    200 w/d

One thing I learn being 97% solo is I plan my own workout, I pysch out and know whats coming.
    I told my coach that I could have done a set of 200's with the breakouts, np in the mornings. She said that with a coach, you dont see it coming, so Im not ready for it...Coach Janine doesn't post the workout, she calls them out and we dont know whats coming!
    ---Im changing GYM to Tue-Thursday-Sat. I simply am not superhuman enough to Gym then Swim.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Early am Swimming

by , June 1st, 2009 at 09:54 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Summer School started today at CHS. I got up early (4:45 am) so I could swim LCM in the CHS natatorium. I decided to do a 1 hour swim for lack of any other ideas. I really didn't push it too hard but I felt good. I ended up with 3650 LCM.
    The showers were cold so it was a quickie! I had time to down a pbj, banana, and some purple grapes before the 7:30 am staff first day meeting. I going to do the same schedule tomorrow but a different workout.
    CHS has a great indoor LCM natatorium! I noticed one strange thing today. They changed their very wide 8 LCM lanes into 12 thinner lanes by stretching a thick tight chain across the gutter at each end. The problem is the lines on the bottom of the pool are messed-up. I kept hitting the lane with my fingers when I was coming back and swimming down the middle when I was going down. It was making me a little crazy!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. A Little Money in the Bank

by , June 1st, 2009 at 09:00 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Why is it when you drive in the heat that you feel like you have been hit by a bus even though you have air conditioning? Drove 140 miles today so that son could get braces put on his teeth. It hit 90 today. By the time I got home, I was beat. I somehow got down to the Y pool.

The dungeon air was even hotter than it was outside. The former professional triathlete I sometimes swim with had moved his trainer outside to the pavallion. That is how bad it was. He usually does a 3,000 swim, and after a quick change, jumps on the trainer on the pool deck for an hour spin workout.

After LC Nationals, I intend to start doing the spin workouts with the tri guy. His workouts will kill me, but this is the only hope I have if I ever want to do tris again. I've already learned quite a bit from him on the cycling aspect. One set I can remember that seemed helpful was doing spins at 130 rpms for 45 seconds. Another suggestion he made was on my training rides, try to keep the RPMs over 100 even in the big ring. I'm convinced this paid off. In my tri races, I would usually try to hold 85 to 90 rpm pushing some pretty big gears. This felt easy after having held it between 100 and 110 on training rides.

Anyway, got in a small bit of yardage - 2,000 yards. As one of my coaches used to say, "A practice is like depositing money in the bank and the meets are like making a withdrawal." Well, I guess I can say today was a very small deposit.

One of the sets I did today was 6 x 50 on 1:30 (no fins)- 90% effort. On odds, did free/fly and on evens did back/free. Either my back has gotten much better or my fly is hurting because my even 50s were a second or two faster than my odd 50s. I tend to think my fly is hurting. This is strange because I felt great when I was doing the all out 25s on Saturday. Was off yesterday, so maybe I got sluggish?

I truly admire those that are able to be on the road a good bit and find the energy to train.

Updated June 1st, 2009 at 09:22 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Found out my open water time was actually...

1:06 and not 1:32. Closer to my goal of one hour!

I also realized I hit my ring toe so hard on a rock that it is more purple than Tom thumbs' plum! Unbelievable.

I was hoping my shoulder would feel better by now. I havn't been doing my rotator exercises and it shows. I must do those.

Today I tried my best adaptation of "Help my speed is horrible start up.

After warming up
    I timed my 25 yd and 50 yd.
    My 25 is 18sec
    My 50 is 36 sec. The same since I started this journal in Jan. pretty much.

did 12 x 25's 18 secs in 45 intervals every single one no change. Heartrate at end of set about 138 secs.

Various 200's- swim, kick, sdk,
    Reported my observations to Ande's thread.

Wasn't focused on yardage today.

Updated June 1st, 2009 at 06:19 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Short But Nasty, Monday, June 1

by , June 1st, 2009 at 03:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Just had time for a short weight/dryland workout and a short swim.

Weights/Dryland:

Used the Paramount double cable machine today. Hadn't used that in awhile. Did:

standing one arm pushes, 35 x 1 x 15, each arm, 30 x 1 x 15, each arm
    reclining one arm tricep press w/elevated legs, 25 x 2 x 12, each arm
    core/leg exercise (lay down on back, head facing machine, put handles of cable under shoe, lift legs then hips up, pull down slowly), 50 x 2 x 15

Then did:

hi lat row
    140 x 1 x 4
    160 x 1 x 3
    180 x 1 x 3
    190 x 2 x 8

goblet squat w/50 lb weight, 2 x 15
    forward lunges w/12.5 DBs, 2 x 20
    crunches w/med ball, 2 x 25
    elevated crunches on bench w/ 12.5 lb weight at feet, 2 x 25
    external rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each side
    prone scapular scrunches w/elevated feet & 5 lb DBs, 2 x 25

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Speed set:

A little bird reminded me that I should probably do some fast 75s for my LC 50s. Took that very sound advice today. I don't usually like 75s much because I can't see the pace clock well at one end. So all times could be slightly off.

10 x (75 backstroke w/fins + 25 EZ)(Swam w/fins as shoulder has been a little twingy since my "endurance fly" set last week.)
    1-5 @ 2:15
    6-10 @ 2:30
    50 EZ after #5
    Went: 46 (still warming up)/43/43/42/41 & 42, 43, 42, 41.5-42, 40.5-41

200 C/D

Total: 1700

Food:

Breakfast: oatmeal w/peanut butter, apple
    (Took Patrick's suggestion and added some peanut butter for protein. Can't say I was too thrilled with the taste though.)
    Lunch: Salad with romaine, grilled chicken, green onion, green pepper, sprouts, flax seed, currants, blueberries; quinoa w/chick peas
    Post swim snack: G2, balance bar in car on way home
    Dinner: barbecued shrimp, veggy kebobs w/mushrooms, tomatoes, eggplant and pepper, 1/2 slice of delicious 7 grain bread
    (Mr. Fort brought that back from the farmers' market -- along with a cache of other breads and fresh cinnamon rolls. ).
    Snack: plum, trail mix, glass of chard

Updated June 2nd, 2009 at 11:12 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  6. Please Sir, I want some more

by , June 1st, 2009 at 02:41 PM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    5 days to go until the big race..

Imagine my horror when I checked out the donations page on the race site this morning and saw that one of the other entrants has MORE DONATIONS THAN ME!!

I am most seriously displeased.

If anyone would like to help me address this travesty, please go to:

http://www.nycswim.org/Event/Event.a...from=donations

and make a donation in my real name (Amanda Hunt).

My charity is the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and I'm giving away a free ShamWow to everyone who donates $10 or more in my name

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Monday 6/1/09

by , June 1st, 2009 at 11:50 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

400 swim,
    (every 4th 25 back)
    200 IM drill
    200 kick choice,
    (on back in streamline alt. dolphin/flutter by 25)
    6 x 50 choice w/10 sec. rest alt. 25 drill/25 build

2x around
    {
    200 free pace on 3:20
    (#1 - 3:01, #2 - 3:04)
    3 x 50 free descend on 1:00 (#3 at ~85%)
    (went :45-> :40 on these)
    200 free faster than the first one on 3:20
    (#1 - 2:57, #2 - 2:58)
    4 x 25 no free descend on 35 (#4 all out)
    (#1 - did back, didn't get times; #2 did fly, went around :25 -> :20)
    50 easy
    }

swim down 8 x 25 on 35: 3 breaths per 25

2700 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. The real race

by , June 1st, 2009 at 11:48 AM (My non-workout blog and random thoughts)
    So it has been about three weeks since my partner has left me for the arms of another person. I've lost about 15 pounds since then (anyone what to buy a lightly used B70 - size 28), gotten into counseling, had a physical exam, stopped drinking and started reading about relationship repair, divorce and recovery.

I know now that she will never return. She refuses to admit she is having an affair and refuse to apologize for the pain and suffering that she caused not only me - but my mom - who loves her and misses her. I can't understand why she would throw away 10 years for a person she just met 2 months ago and why she would stonewall requests for counseling. Eitherway, now, I have to accept this path and take positive steps forward.

The real race in life is not in pool or on the track or on the court. Yes, it is nice to be able to be successful - to win a gold medal or set some new record. The real race in life is building and maintaining a healthly and constructive relationships - this race has no gold medals and rarely makes headlines - but the rewards are so meaningful.

Cheaters never win this race; they never do the hard work it takes to build a healthy and loving relationship. They just drift - justifying their actions and suppressing their emotions. Who would want to live their life like that?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Mon Jun 1st, 2009

by , June 1st, 2009 at 10:29 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Jun 1st, 2009

Thinking about doing a 5k this Saturday

NEXT MEETS

Senior Circuit #3
    Fri June 12 - 14, 2009
    11 Days away
    Austin, TX
    Events Entered:
    04 400 Freestyle (2) 5:07.03 scy 500 fr
    10 050 Freestyle 24.50 LCM
    14 200 Freestyle 1:50.70 scy
    18 200 Backstroke 2:21.04 LCM
    20 100 Butterfly 51.80 scy
    28 200 Individual Medley 2:24.08 LCM
    38 050 Butterfly (3) 51.80 scy

USMS South Central Zone Long Course Championship Meet
    Fri July 18 - 19 2009
    Woodlands, TX
    Meet Entry Form
    Found out Aerosmith is playing with ZZ Top on
    Friday July 17th at the
    Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion in the Woodlands
    Tickets

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM & SCY
    6:30 - 8:00
    Whitney Coached
    TSC main pool
    swam with Tyler & Todd, Next to Larry, Matt & Nate

warm up LCM
    2 x (200 sw, 150 k, 100 im, 50 fr)

Main

20 x 50 on 50
    done 5 fl, 5 fl bk, 5 fl br, 5 fl fr
    (I drilled the fly)

6 x 50 on 50
    done 4 bk, 2 bk fl

MOVED TO DIVING WELL SCY (just before 7:30)

10 x 50 on 45
    done 2 bk fl, 4 bk br, 4 bk fr

500 fr take few strokes per length

12 x 50 on 50
    3 br, 3 br fl, 3 br bk, 3 br fr

100 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Monday 6/1 - On Call has got to go

by , June 1st, 2009 at 07:50 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    This morning I was paged every 15 minutes by some systems automated page. We had another outage and I had to constantly check my pager to see if it was an automated page or someone had actually called.

This is getting really old.

5x200 @ 3:45 Free just had no speed on this but then I never do first thing. It takes me 1000 just to get the joints moving. Got paged after #2

5x100 @ 2:15 IM
    500 Free kick w/fins & board
    10x50 @ 1:00 odds Fly/evens Fly kick on back w/fins was making the swims in :45 and the kicks in :53 paged again but waited until finished

5x200 @ 3:30 Free w/paddles & bouy Descending went 3:17, 3:14, 3:11, 3:01, 2:56
    yet another page here but waited till set was over.

500 Free alternate 50 drill 50 swim

Total 4000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Monday 6/1 - On Call has got to go

by , June 1st, 2009 at 07:49 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    This morning I was paged every 15 minutes by some systems automated page. We had another outage and I had to constantly check my pager to see if it was an automated page or someone had actually called.

This is getting really old.

5x200 @ 3:45 Free just had no speed on this but then I never do first thing. It takes me 1000 just to get the joints moving. Got paged after #2

500 Free kick w/fins & board
    10x50 @ 1:00 odds Fly/evens Fly kick on back w/fins was making the swims in :45 and the kicks in :53 paged again but waited until finished

5x200 @ 3:30 Free w/paddles & bouy Descending went 3:17, 3:14, 3:11, 3:01, 2:56
    yet another page here but waited till set was over.

500 Free alternate 50 drill 50 swim

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Searching for next place to swim

Since the UW swimming program is being discontinued with the masters team almost certainly sharing the same fate, I'm looking around for the next place to work out. Two of my options are nearby country clubs with masters groups, but they work out in the morning. I never have been much of a morning person and I'm not sure I'm intersted in waking up at 5:30 or even 5:00 AM to go swimming. Another option would be to train during the lap swimming time at the nearby city pool. The challenge there is being able to push myself when not swimming as part of a group.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. More interesting info on cortisol.

by , June 1st, 2009 at 12:39 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Took today off and after reading the below article this evening don't feel so guilty now. Article can also be found at http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/hea...t-1-001720.php and
    http://www.trifuel.com/training/heal...plateau-part-2

The Secret to Busting Through Your Plateau, Part 1

Source: Ben Greenfield
    Bio, More Articles
    Case Study #1 is a 40 year old woman attempting to lose weight. Let's call her Mrs. T. Two years prior, Mrs. T hired a personal trainer to design an exercise program for her. An absolutely fantastic program, it helped her maximize calorie burning while giving her a total body workout. She also developed a nutritional plan that she follows in precise detail, logging her diet each day and ensuring she maintains caloric balance while eating healthy, natural foods.
    Mrs. T is a very busy person. She has 3 children and works as a restaurant manager. When she's not working out, she is at full speed with her career and family, and often finds herself having panic attacks during traffic jams and long lines at the supermarket. She works late into the night on her computer at home, and typically goes to bed around midnight, then is up at 5:30am to eat breakfast and hit the gym before a long day of work.
    Despite her active lifestyle and good diet, Mrs. T has not lost weight in 8 months. Actually, she's gained 7lbs of fat. She also has low energy levels, poor focus, and often has to grit her teeth to even begin her exercise program. She doesn't mind eating healthy, but is becoming depressed that her perfect diet is not working for her.
    Case Study #2 is a competitive young triathlete named Flash. A collegiate swimmer, Flash has competed at the multi-sport level for 6 years. Due to his superior swim technique and physical dedication, Flash did very well for his first 4 years of competition. He trains 2 hours a day, allows himself adequate rest and recovery, and keeps his energy stores high with consumption of endurance athlete carbohydrates like bagels, toast, pasta, bread, and sports drinks.
    But the last couple years have been different. Despite a good training regimen, Flash has plateaued, and can't seem to add any speed to his workouts or races. He's not overtrained, but simply feels like he's reached a plateau that he can't overcome.
    Guess what? Both Mrs. T and Flash have the same problem.
    They lack syngery.
    Huh? What's synergy? I define synergy as balance - a proper balance of lifestyle, activity, and nutrition. When these three components are perfectly dialed in, there is absolutely no barrier to achieving your performance, weight loss, or health related goals. But even if you're perfect in one area, or even two, if you don't have all aspects of synergy in place, you will fail. And most people fail.
    Nearly every person that walks into my office, e-mails me, or phones me for help is doing *something* right. Most have decent exercise programs. Some have healthy lifestyles. A few have acceptable diets.
    But it's strange - I have never, NEVER in the history of being a wellness advisor and coach, come across an individual who has all synergestic elements in place, but still needs help. These individuals do not exist because they have discovered the secret to achieving their goals. Everyone else, on the other hand, must be empowered with the knowledge to lock in place the three components of success. After that, any goal that they have will become a reality.
    Next week, I'm going to spill the secrets on how to take the three concepts of synergy, and apply the nitty-gritty details to your personal goals…this is going to be the magic element to busting through your plateau!
    Read part II

The Secret to Busting Through Your Plateau, Part 2

by Ben Greenfield on December 13, 2006 in Triathlon Training, Health & Nutrition

In last week's article, I introduced you to Mrs. T, the busy restaurant manager who seems to have her exercise and nutritional habits completely perfect, with a rigid fitness program and sound nutritional practices. However, not only has she seen few results on the weight scale, but she is actually experiencing a disturbing increase in body fat as time progresses, which has put significant negative stress on her already stressful life. Although there really aren't really any problems with her exercise routine, Mrs. T is unaware that a combination of frequent physical activity and a hectic lifestyle can actually result in a severe catabolic effect on the body.
    What do I mean by this? While some may think that the more you do and the faster your lifestyle, the "skinnier" you'll be, this is simply not the case. Exercise can result in significant muscle fiber tearing, the production of damaging free radicals in the body's tissue, and build-up of toxic metabolites. In the absence of proper recovery and adequate sleep, cortisol hormone levels become elevated and thyroid function decreases. Elevated cortisol levels decrease blood sugar stabilization, decrease utilization of fatty acids as a fuel, decrease testosterone levels, and increase deposition of adipose tissue in the waistline. Low levels of active thyroid hormone can depress your body's basal metabolic rate, or the total amount of calories you burn throughout the day. The result is not only a feeling of chronic fatigue, but also a propensity to gain fat and lose lean muscle tissue.
    Combine these effects with the fact that lack of sleep can depress key neurotransmitters involved in regulation of appetite and food cravings, such as serotonin and dopamine. Furthermore, inadequate rest and recovery can decrease leptin (the "fat control" hormone) and increase ghrelin (the "eat more" hormone).
    I used a word last week called "synergy", and referred to it as an optimal combination of Exercise, Nutrition, and Lifestyle. Unless all synergestic compenents are in place, results are impossible to achieve. Mrs. T is deficient in the "Lifestyle" component of synergy. As you can see, she is not only setting herself up to "plateau", and see no results from her rigid exercise and nutrition program, but she is, in fact, leading what should be considered an unhealthy lifestyle.
    So let's say that Mrs. T calls me on the phone, e-mails me, or walks into my office desperate for advice on how to fix her weight gain problem. Here are my thoughts for her:
    Begin by altering your exercise program to allow for more time in the day to complete your other tasks. 20 minutes of high intensity cardio combined with 20 minutes of high intensity, full body exercise is enough for the busy person to maintain a healthy, lean weight. This would be even more successful if split into a "two-a-day" type of routine.
    Ensure that all your healthy snacks are prepared and packaged at the beginning of each day, so that maintaining a sound diet takes very little extra time and energy. This may mean going to your job at the restaurant with a small backpack that contains a ziplock of almonds, a cucumber/tomato wrap, one pear, one banana, and a healthy snack bar.
    For optimal neurotransmitter levels, try to maintain as natural a circadian rhythm as possible with your sleep cycles. This will mean going to bed around 10 or 11pm, and rising at 5-6am, allowing for at least 7 hours of sleep, and orienting your body to a normal light-dark cycle.
    Be creative with time management. Skip your daily newspaper reading and opt for an audio news podcast on your mp3 player during your cardio session. Work while you eat, such as filling in your dayplanner while you drink a fruit smoothie. Switch to loudspeaker and perform your daily stretches during phone meetings.
    Ask yourself whether certain parts of your busy lifestyle are worth the weight gain and constant fight against stress and fatigue. How much are you enjoying life vs. running in a rat race?
    By adopting a synergestic approach to her goals, Mrs. T can and will experience success. Often, my job as a personal trainer or coach is not to "write out the perfect exercise routine" or "recommend the ideal diet", but rather to assist in finding creative ways to achieve an optimal lifestyle for goal setting and achieving. There are often multiple components of an individual's life that simply go unnoticed as enormous barriers to success and wellness.
    In last week's article, I also introduced you to a young triathlete named Flash. Despite good training, fuel replenishment and lifestyle, Flash has experience improvement in quite some time, and is, in fact, feeling fairly drained during his training routines and experiencing performance deficits in his racing. Next week, I'll tell you what Flash's problem is, and how he can fix it.
    Read part III

Ben Greenfield
    Ben Greenfield is recognized as one of the top fitness, triathlon, nutrition and metabolism experts in the nation. In 2008, he was voted as the Personal Trainer of the Year by the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), an internationally recognized and respected certifying agency for fitness professionals. Ben hosts the highly popular fitness, nutrition and wellness website at http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com, which features a free blog, wellness podcast, and fitness product reviews from Ben.
    Pacific Elite Fitness (http://www.pacificfit.net) is an online portal where Ben coaches a wide range of triathletes and assists people from all over the world with personal training for nutrition, fat loss, muscle toning, and general fitness. Ben also oversees the physiology and biomechanics laboratory at Champions Sports Medicine (http://www.champsportsmed.com) which offers metabolic-based weight loss, bicycle fitting, running gait analysis, swim stroke analysis, VO2 max testing, blood lactate testing, resting metabolic rate analysis, and other cutting-edge procedures for weight loss and human performance.
    Ben holds bacheler's and master's degrees in exercise physiology and biomechanics, and is a certified personal trainer, strength and conditioning coach, sports nutritionist, and bike fitter.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. It's Still Cold!!!!!

by , May 31st, 2009 at 05:37 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I got up this morning and headed to Noblesville for a 9am workout. I was running a little late sooooooo I was flying down River Road in my little white bmw.
    Before I could really make any adjustments to my speed I saw a Noblesville Police Officer lurking on a wooded side road.....oh no, I am so BUSTED!
    Well lucky me, this officer was the most polite and friendly policeman I have ever interacted with (as a perp). He asked me where I was going in such a hurry, I told him the truth " I was running late to swim practice!" . He told me I was 18 miles per hour over the limit and I needed to slow down.........then he let me go!!!! Now that's lucky!

Here's the workout i hurried to the pool to do in the 75 degree water:

-----Warm-up---------
    200 Freestyle easy
    200 Kick on Back w/fins
    3 X 100 Swim (Fly/Free, Back/Free, Breast/Free)
    -----main set-----
    Super 1,000 Swim (1 minute per 50 interval)
    50 free--100 free---50 free---150 free---50 free---200 free---50 free---150 free---50 free---100 free---50 free.
    -----next set-------
    5 X 100 Free on 1:00 descending speed
    2 X 100 Free on 3:00 as fast as possible! (this was a bad idea today, the cold water and air made me tighten up during the excessive rest time on the interval)
    -----Cool Down------
    600 Free Swim (I needed this to undue the damage from the 2 fast but cold 100's)
    3,000 Meters

Tomorrow I start teaching Freshman Summer School PE! I'm going to school at 5 am and swim LCM at the Carmel Natatorium. This will be a great schedule; I will be done at noon so Sarah and I can go out to lunch every day afterwards! (Sarah is taking Calculus in ss)
    Afterwards a nap will be in order!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Sun May 31st, 2009

by , May 31st, 2009 at 04:16 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    [B]Sun May 31st, 2009[/B

delts sore from 10k
    have chaffing lines from my B70
    plan to train hard this next week, then do a 3 day rest for Sr Cir

NEXT MEETS

Thu June 11 - 14, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Senior Circuit #3
    Austin, TX
    Events Entered:
    04 400 Freestyle (2) 5:07.03 scy 500 fr
    10 050 Freestyle 24.50 LCM
    14 200 Freestyle 1:50.70 scy
    18 200 Backstroke 2:21.04 LCM
    20 100 Butterfly 51.80 scy
    28 200 Individual Medley 2:24.08 LCM
    38 050 Butterfly (3) 51.80 scy

Fri July 18 - 19 2009
    Woodlands, TX
    USMS South Central Zone Long Course Championship Meet
    Meet Entry Form
    Found out Aerosmith is playing with ZZ Top on
    Friday July 17th at the
    Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion in the Woodlands
    Tickets

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM
    noon to 1:15
    Bridgette Coached
    TSC main pool
    swam with Larry and Chris

warm up
    went around 400

Main LCM

6 x 100 fr on 1:30 desc 1 -3

6 x 50 on 50 desc 1 - 3

6 x 100 fr on 1:30 desc
    went 1:04

6 x 50 on 50 desc 1 - 3
    did last one fly
    went 28 high

100 easy

got out early
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. 62 mile bike ride.

by , May 31st, 2009 at 02:55 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    I did the charity ride for MS today but now I am paying for it as my back is really tight. I'm gong to ice down now...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. First open water race 3k Pinehearst NC

The course was straight up and back to the big orange bouy 3 times.
    "Thats six laps?" I ask the person next to me.
    "Yep." They said.
    Wow, that thing is really down there and that is alot of times to go up and back. I thought to myself.

Masses of kids piled in before us small group of meandering Masters. Then our turn to hit the water came. I felt like I was having touble staying behind the starting line (In sailbaot racing they take this very seriously) I was treading backwards when....buzzz!!! What a slow start I had as everyone flew by me.

After about 200 yards I start to get panicky and had to tell myself to relax. You know the kind when you think the ship is really going down. "Think you are in Cozumel...no worrries and wearing fins! " I get this way every time I start a race over 50 yds. (except the 100 IM)I just don't have the pace thing down. Well,I was sure gonna get practice now.

After a while between constantly checking if I was going to hit someone I started thinking about my stroke.

I found it so hard to kick because my head was always bobbing to watchout for others. I think my legs did nothing the first part of the race but drift and drag.

Several people before the race told me to draft. Lots of luck. I could't catch a one of those legs with bubble flying off into the distance. However, toward the end of the race I got my freestlye on. That was the sweet spot of the day. All clear infront and I felt safe enough to streamline, kick, glide. Dang! My goggles fogged up so I stopped suddenly to fix them. A split second later I was surround by a litter of little ones, slipping around me. I think I must have been Mother Goose for a while! Now that was fun!

Anyway, Knelson helped me with my seed time of one hour and I was over it just by 32 seconds. I can live with that!

This blogging has kept me hanging in there and not be a quitter. Thanks, more than you know.

Next week I am starting the "My speed is horrible" plan. If I can't find some one to time me I will just have to use the clock on the wall.
    Can't let excuses stop you.

Updated May 31st, 2009 at 01:47 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. LCM Practice, Sunday, May 31

by , May 31st, 2009 at 12:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Made it to my team practice. It was rather sparsely attended. Our coach and I had a lane to ourselves. A couple teammates were at the MD State LC meet.

Warm up:

2 x through:

2 x 100 swim
    2 x 50 kick
    200 pull
    100 IM drill

8 x vertical kicking
    20 seconds with hands at shoulders, 10 seconds with arms in streamline position, squat jump off the bottom of the pool, repeat without stopping

Main sets:

250 stroke, descend each 50 (did back, can't remember the intervals for the 250s)
    3 x 50 @ 1:20
    #1 25 backward free, 25 fast free
    (backward free makes me feel very uncoordinated)
    #2 25 dolphin kick, 25 fast free
    #3 25 monkey (), 25 fast free
    250 kick, descend each 50
    (I broke it into 50s. 25 UW shooter w/fins + 25 kick, 5 second break at each 50)
    3 x 50 @ 1:20, same as above
    250 free, descend each 50
    (I paced off/raced Brad Gandee on this one. Me with fins. This totally kicked my ass, but I had more gas the last 50 than I thought.)
    3 x 50 @ 1:20, same as above
    (I cheated and did the first two 50s easy, as I was totally gassed.)

100 EZ

4 x 200
    #1 200 IM kick @ 4:30
    #2-4 200 IM @ 3:30

100 EZ

1 x 50 UW shooter on back w/MF

Felt compelled to do this, despite being very tired, as I didn't do it last week and I wouldn't want Chris to think I was a wimp. Went about 80-85% because I was a bit worried about cramping on the first 25. Coach timed (and said she would make sure I didn't pass out. lol) I went :25. Wasn't too bad really.

50 EZ

Total: 4000 meters

I'm feeling pretty strong in the water again. Every once in awhile I notice the effects of the weight training.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Food:

Breakfast: Oatmeal with apple
    Post Swim Snack: G2, balance bar
    Lunch: Salad with green/red lettuce, grilled chicken, sprouts, tomatoes, avocado, currants, flax seeds
    Snack: yogurt, blueberries, hummus with whole wheat crackers
    Dinner: bean and cheese burritos from Whole Food (the whole fam, except for Lil Fort was elsewhere), kiwi, quinoa salad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Running:

Interesting article in the NYT on May 28 on the topic that there is "no right way or wrong way to run:"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/28/he...on/28best.html

Reminded me of swimming actually. Personally, I can't do a heel strike without getting shin splints.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other Random Notes:

Just could not make it to NVSL "University" this weekend to do referee training ... way too many kids' activities. I'll have to stick with stroke & turning. I'm sure I will deek a few more kids than Geek and a few less than Hulk.

Had to post this cute picture (taken by SwimRobin) of Jimby, me and Wookiee from Zones. One of my teammates who's back to swim training after a break commented that: "Maybe masters meets are more fun now than I remember." lol

Updated June 1st, 2009 at 11:18 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n674488395_1794057_5387751.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	6268  
  19. all my 100 splits on yesterday's 10k (in seconds)

by , May 31st, 2009 at 10:08 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    here's all my 100 splits on yesterday's 10k
    (in seconds)
    did not warm up

swim center LCM

79 500 393 sec

77 1000 389 sec

76 1500 (swam straight) 384 sec 1,166 sec

? can't read
    ? can't read
    80 started doing repeat 100's
    80 2000

80 2500 398 sec

115 3000 (first long break) 437

86 3500 (started doing repeat 100's on 1:25) 410

104 break
    85 4000 439

85 4500 425

90 (short break)
    86 1:08:58 5000 431

104 (longer break)
    86 5500 453

85 6000 424

79 (larry took a break and got behind me, so I picked up the pace to lap him)
    78 6500 405

84 7000 404

98 break
    81 7500 426

82 8000 402

91 break
    82 8500 426

85 9000 415

101 last long break
    85 9500 439

82 10000 2:19:33.52 411

online entry form

rules

Updated June 1st, 2009 at 04:57 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  20. Unfulfilled Dreams

by , May 31st, 2009 at 12:50 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I'm pretty good at any sport I've ever done, but there's one sport I have natural god-given talent for....SKATING! I am a wiz on ice skates, but on roller skates I am hel_ on wheels!
    I spent 8 years of my youth in competitive pairs skating. My partner and I won lots of competitions and were highly ranked in the midwest. The pro (coach) at our rink not only knew pairs skating....he was also a lover of the roller derby. In our freetime and outside of practice he taught a few of us the rowdy and crazy sport of roller derby. I quickly became obsessed with the "Bay City Bombers" and my goal in life was to finish high school and become a Jammer for the BCB's! The pro (my coach) told me I was a natural and made some contacts to get me a tryout for the team. I thought my life was set till my parents informed me they would have not part of my hair-brained scheme to be a BCB. They told me after I obtained my college diploma I would be free to move anywhere and do what ever I wanted....but not before!
    Well, I went to college and became a PE/Health teacher but I never fulfilled my dreams of becoming a Jammer! I go skating at least once a year with my high school summer school PE class. I spend most of the time showing off(you rarely see 53 year old ladies skate like me)
    Tonight we went to the Fairground to watch the Naptown Rollergirls play the rollergirls from Fort Wayne. They play on a flat track (slower) with a concrete floor. (you need really soft wheels for grip on the concrete)
    I wish INDY would have developed this team 20 years or so ago cause I would have been all over it.
    Now I'm forced to sit in the stands and drink beer, cheer and enjoy!
    ---SWIMMING------
    Friday-solo-LA Fitness-I forget the workout but it was 3,000 yards scy

saturday-forest park w/the Nasti's-ice cold water so we had short rests inbetween sets.

Warm-up- 200/150/100/50 Freestyle
    8 X 50 (half stroke in IM roll and half free) on 1:10
    200 Free moderate
    8 X 50 Free hard sprint w/fins and at least 10 dolfin kicks off the wall.
    200 free moderate
    500 freestyle pushing it-20 sec rest
    400 freestyle, moderate-20 sec rest
    300 freestyle, easy-20 sec rest
    200 freestyle, hard-30 sec rest (brrrrrr)
    100 freestyle with paddles working on catch
    100 freestyle easy
    3,300 LCM
    The NASTI'S are sponsoring a swim clinic on June 13th. We recieved a NIKE grant last year at Big Shoulders. The am session is a pool freestyle workshop with an Olympic silver medalist and will feature snooper-cam and lots of coaches. After lunch we meet up at Morse Reservoir for an open-water clinic by Jim Barbour (a local legend) and Marcia Cleveland--both have completed the English Channel. The cost is $10.00 for both sessions. If anyone out there reads this and is interested I'd be glad to post or send you the information.
    Categories
    Uncategorized