View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Wednesday, 1/20/10

by , January 20th, 2010 at 01:35 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, with Carrie

500 swim free
    400 IM drill
    300 kick choice
    6x50 on 55 build choice
    (did 2x fly-back-free)

Do the following set straight through with out any extra rest
    swim 300 free on 4:30, make the interval
    swim 3 x 100 IM on 1:50
    pull 300 free smooth on 4:30
    swim 6 x 50 no free on 1:00 descend 1-3, 4-6
    take 1 minute rest
    swim 300 free FAST

swim down 100 easy
    --
    Total: 3100 yards

More running after work. But only 2 miles. Am really tired and sore.

Updated January 21st, 2010 at 05:27 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Tue Jan 19th, 2010

by , January 20th, 2010 at 10:36 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Jan 20th, 2010

weighed 222

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=204011&postcount=1344"]USMS has ruled on Suits[/ame]

My Right middle FINGER hurts from smashing it into the wall in backstroke finals

My next meet is Austin Grand Prix

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    Whitney coached
    5:30 - 6:45
    swam with Doug,
    beside Tyler, Nate & Mary
    Erin, Mike, & Amy

dove in 5:35

wore brief

Warm Up
    500 easy

Main Set

16 x 100 interval is 10 sec rest
    01 - 04 75 fr 25 fl 1:25
    05 - 08 75 fr 25 bk 1:20
    09 - 12 75 fr 25 br 1:20
    13 - 16 IM 1:25

assigned: 8 x 150 done 100 dps, 50 strong on 2:00
    did: 8 x (50 fr dps, 50 skip, 50 bk strong with 8 SDKs)

4 rounds of
    100 k on 1:20
    075 k on 1:00
    050 k on 0:40
    025 k on 0:20
    050 easy
    on each round but the 4th, on the first 100, i flutter kicked with a board, then kicked the rest fly on my side with no board
    on last one, I dove & did 250 straight fly kick with no board,
    went 3:02

50 easy

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down 42 days away

April 9 -11
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown 78 days away

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN 119 days away

Updated January 21st, 2010 at 11:28 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. No Problem

by , January 20th, 2010 at 10:23 AM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    “Laugh at your problems; everybody else does.”
    -Unknown
    Things are looking up. The worker list is still filling in. The lap counter card nightmare is subsiding - our order has been shipped - by ground transport from California. We have a decorated swimmer from the International Swimming Hall of Fame attending the meet in the 95-99 age group.

So what could go wrong?

We received 19 entries - in one day. I am still concerned about overcrowding. I received my first complaint from a swimmer on our team. The meet order. Yep, I already knew that. This will be the first year the order was criticized, and it was justified - I wrote earlier that some event distances were clumped together instead of spread through the meet. I would recommend to future Tropical Splash meet directors that we trash this order, and go back to using the orders of the previous three years, rotating them year to year. Those meet orders rocked.

In Meet #1, the pool manager turned off the heating system overnight to cool the pool water down, and started it up again in the morning. Unfortunately, the heating system dehumidified the air. Upon entering the pool that morning, moisture condensed on everything. Glasses steamed up. Paper timers cards felt like dumplings. Cameras fogged up, so there were no meet photos in the LMSC newsletter. And, my brand new laptop computer would not start up, presumably because there was condensation inside after being brought in from the car. First meet. Extreme panic.

I had thought of everything, and had brought along my old desktop computer and CRT monitor just in case. But it was in the cold car trunk outside. I went out to retrieve it, but the monitor would not come out of the trunk! Twisting and turning every way, it could not come out. Sweat poured through my tee shirt in the subfreezing temperature. After what seemed like a half hour of geometry lessons, it came out - and I severely cut my hand on some sharp metal under the trunk lid. As I was lugging the behemoth into the pool lobby with a trail of corpuscles behind me, someone came up to inform me that my laptop had started up while I was outside.

Next year, to cool the pool down, cold water was turned on to flood the pool early in the morning. After about the third event, an official came to me and said he was stopping the meet. The water level was about three inches over the top of the gutter, making the pool about 6-inches longer in each direction. He said it was dangerous for swimmers since the pool gutter was underwater. The cold water was never shut off. The pool manager quickly opened the drain.

Last year, the officials started the first race before the national anthem was played.

Two years ago, a confused checkin worker was mistakenly giving meet tee shirts (that other swimmers prepaid for) to anyone that walked through the door.

In the meet #2, the pool's backstroke flags were falling off the rope during the weeks leading up to the meet. Some lanes had only a bare rope overhead. We bought 2 cheap plastic backstroke lines for the meet.

A swimmer pointed out the starting blocks are not centered on the lanes. Obsessive? Swimming 9 years in that pool, I never noticed. After checking, we found that every starting block is installed about 6 inches left of center in every lane.

The equipment director promised 14 watches from his age group swim team for Meet #4. He heard I had secured 8 (we need 21 - 3 timers for 7 lanes) so he only provided 8. He 'assumed' we only needed two watches per lane - as that was the Northern Virginia Swim League requirement for age group meets. We borrowed some from meet participants, and made a quick run to nearby Walmart to make a purchase.

Last year the same meet equipment director provided the same watches. He waited until the day before to pick up the watches from his team rep. On meet day as timers were getting ready during warmups, we discovered no watches. He received a key to their storage room, but there were not enough watches, and some had bum batteries. Another trip to Walmart. He is in charge of equipment again this year.

During Meet #1, the women's toilet stalls all ran out of toilet paper. No one told me about this until the meet was over.

The next year, we got the staff to keep an eye on the women's toilet paper supply. So the men's room ran out - the staff never thought to check both during the meet.

In meet #4, the luau hospitality coordinator thought to create a nice atmosphere by burning scented candles in the room . . .with the food . . .and chlorine.

In meet #2 there was a snow/ice storm overnight before the meet. Another story, another post.

And who can forget the year the pool ran 88 degrees.

86 entries to date

BOOK OF WISDOM
    Plan backups in case the big things go wrong, but don't sweat the little ones (and don't cut your hand.)

Updated January 21st, 2010 at 04:38 PM by Rnovitske

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Push on thru

by , January 20th, 2010 at 07:37 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    When you just don't feel like working push on thru it. It always gets better. Today I knew I needed to loosen my back up badly so 1 arm fly it is.

100, 200, 300, 400 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins alternate by 100 easy/moderate
    5x100@2:00 1 arm Fly w/fins
    5x200@3:00 Free w/paddles & bouy as 200EZ, 50Fast/150EZ, 100Fast/100EZ, 150Fast/50EZ, 200 FAST went 2:58, 2:54, 2:47, 2:44, 2:33
    100 Back
    100 Free
    100 Breast
    100 Free

Total 3400 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 01-18-2010 & 01-19-2010 Workout's

by , January 20th, 2010 at 12:59 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    1-18-10
    Aquasol - Coach Steve's workout - Seniors
    Coach Janine

05:30 - 07:00 PM

Warm 300
    12x100 odds IM / evens FR (1-4 1:55, 5-8 1:50, 8-12 1:45)
    6x150 K no FR on 3:15 ( BR, Fly, then Fins for Fly, Back-fly, FR, Fly)
    12 x 75 Pull on 1:10
    4 x 75 K

100 cool
    (3700 SCY)
    It was great to be back in the home pool, albeit it was colder than Folsom, the water quality was excellent as usual. I was the only Aged grouper, there was a high school kid who was there for conditioning (not as fast as the rest of the seniors) I just had to comment on a couple of teen girls who were carrying on a conversation in the 12x75 FR set, it was hilarious. They were much faster, (It looked like they were being pulled by a rope) so by the time I popped my head up for the 10-12 sec rest (everyone was on 1:10) they were carrying on and without missing a beat they were back on the interval, only to continue the conversation at the next interval!

1-19-10

This morning at Folsom, the Seniors start 30 minutes earlier than the Masters doing LCM. I got there 15 minutes after they started and did my own warmup. The wind was cold and strong (about 35-40 mph) with a few showers blowing through, yes this is an outdoor pool...nearly saw white caps on the surface!
    Warm (1200)

2x200 FR, 200 IM drill, 200 FR w/snorkel, 200 K -fins-FR/Fly, 200 Pull.
    Set 1
    3x
    300 Moderate
    200 Strong
    100 FR ( did one time through )
    100 cool and out

Had a train to catch, I would have stayed around, but my new job is picky about me coming in a few minutes early, so I have to catch the train that departs 30 minutes earlier.
    Whin's...
    Somehow last month I pinched a nerve that runs from between the shoulder blades through the left shoulder blade and a little into the back of my upper left arm. I really feel it when I put my head down, it bothers me when I swim, but I seem to be able to swim with just some discomfort. It can get aggravated sometimes when I fly.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Auburn entry

by , January 19th, 2010 at 11:10 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Trying to figure out what to enter at Auburn. This will be a well-attended meet by the team I am on. Trying to decide if I should max out on events (4 or 5 events a day plus relays) or stick to 3 events a day (plus relays). Fort advised me that doing the 500 free on Sunday first thing might not be too wise and I agree. Being the sprinter and kicker that I am, I think my legs would be shot for my later events that day. So, Saturday, I'm debating doing the following events: 100 I.M., 50 free, 100 back, and 50 fly. On Sunday, I'm debating doing the 50 back, 100 free, 200 back, and 200 I.M.

After today's practice, I started having second thoughts about the I.M.s, especially the 200. Breaststroke feels just rotten. For some reason, I was really beat today. I shouldn't be broken down as I don't think I've been doing much. I almost wonder whether I got out of shape from somewhat backing off in December. Anyway, right now, I'm trying to figure out which events to swim.

Today's workout was a kick marathon for me. The air was really hot as was the water. I woke up with my asthma bothering me, so breathing was difficult as I discovered on the 400 I.M. Where others had to do swim, I did kick.

Warm-up: 100 easy
    8 x 50 - skull/kick
    400 I.M. broken at 25 on :45 - done as drill, kick, build, sprint for each stroke

On the next set, there was no rest between subsets:

5 x 100 fly kick (no fins) on 2:00
    1 x 200 free on 3:00
    4 x 100 fly kick (no fins) on 2:00
    5 x 200 kick with fins on 3:00 -odds were back kick, evens were free kick with board
    3 x 100 fly kick (no fins) on 2:00

100 easy

3400 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. SEPTOPLASTY

OK, so I had an apt with my ENT today. We scheduled my right sinus reaming for the 18th of Feb. Hopefully, this will take care of my sleep issues. He said no swimming or heavy lifting for two weeks. (how will I ever catch Harriet?)

This little hiatus makes me nervous, but if I can gain some nice solid chunks of sleep it will be worth it.

Anyway, my CIBBOWS pals are swimming the Beagle on Thursday.
    http://www.rachelgolub.blogspot.com/
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Kick-Swim + Yoga, Tuesday, Jan. 19

by , January 19th, 2010 at 09:52 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 various

Kick Set:

10 x 25 twirling shooters w/MF @ :30

1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (breast)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (flutter)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (dolphin)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (flutter)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (breast)

10 x shooters w/MF @ :30
    odds = left side
    evens = right side

50 EZ

Aerobic Kick-Swim Set:

5 x (2 x 100) w/fins, done as:

1-2 = backstroke kick @ 1:20
    3-4 = backstroke @ 1:20
    5-6 = dolphin kick w/board @ 1:20
    7-8 = fly @ 2:00*
    9-10 = flutter kick w/board @ 1:20

* I took an extra 30 seconds rest before fly. I can't do fly on short rest. In fact, I'm amazed I even did 2 x 100 fly -- and did it last week as well.

50 EZ

Speed Sets:

10 x 50 double shooters on back w/MF
    odds = easy @ 1:30
    evens = AFAP @ 1:00

went: 21.5-22 (bad turn), 21, 20, 20.5, 20.5-21

This is the fastest set of 50s I've done with the MF. I was using a narrow amplitude and super high cycle kick. I have to slow down slightly before the walls.

100 EZ

8 x 25 @ whatevah
    odds = AFAP free
    evens = easy

100 EZ

Total: 3250 + VK

Vinyasa Yoga:

Tonight, I tried the Yoga Shakti DVD. http://www.google.com/products/catal...959&sa=title#p

I did the Lunar Flow, which was the 45 minute version (that was all the time I had). This was definitely just stretching, not a workout at all. In fact, it was just too slow for me, and I completely skipped the paranyama and shavasana at the end (not my favs anyway). This could be a good DVD for the end of the day. There are 2 90 minute Solar Flow workouts that are supposed to be much more challenging. Vinyasa, with it's flowing moves, is very different than Bikram where the emphasis is on holding postures to build strength and flexibility. I'll try the other workouts before I form an opinion. At the very least, it got me stretching tonight -- which was the goal!

And, unfortunately, I'm not very good at putting my heel behind my head anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

My hammies were a little sore today from the re-introduction of the squat yesterday. After my lazy week last week, I need to get back in the dryland groove. I was pretty happy with my kicking and speed work today. I was only using a 4 lb med ball for the vertical kicking today. (That was the only ball that was unlocked in the equipment room.) That definitely made the VK harder though.

I may enter the Tropical Splash on Jan. 31. http://www.alexandriamasters.com/meet/. Since I've been praising recent order of events, I feel free to grumble about this one slightly. All the 100s are the first half and 3 of the 50s and all the 200s are the second half. I have no idea what I want to swim besides one new secret event (for Patrick). Entries are due March 25, so I need to send out my form pronto. Edit: I dunno ... the new secret event I wanted to swim is not possible without electronic timing. No split requests permitted.

Geek posted this on my entry for yesterday in case anyone missed it: http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Wellness/fi...ory?id=9606251. His take home message: don't be a supplement hater!

Jim Corbeau sent me a great aerobic workout with some speed play that I may do tomorrow. I have to miss my Thursday workout with Speedo b/c I'm getting my hair "glazed" to compensate for anticipated fading. I hope to do his kick workout with him next Tuesday.

On the B2B ironman front, my son's friend (and cross country teammate), who will be 17+ on the day of the race, has gotten permission to enter even though he's not 18. So FortSon is agitating for it again, though he's worried he'll lose muscle even if he lifts while training.

Updated January 19th, 2010 at 10:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  9. Overheated at the gym

by , January 19th, 2010 at 06:37 PM (My Passion)
    Got to gym at 5 am and it felt warm, but I went to my locker and put my stuff up, saw my workout buddy come in as I started out to the floor. Started stairmill at level 7 (in the past I have done level 10 for 45 minutes) for 35 minutes. My buddy got there as I was setting it up and we have been agreeing on 35 minutes lately,

We were climbing and talking and it was hot. I kept drinking, but started to feel nauseous, At 15 minutes in, I lowered the level to 4 (way low for me). I was still feeling bad, but kept going. My friend said she could see the beads of sweat on my legs and I had wiped my face several times.

I got off right at 35 minutes (I usually climb real slow to cool down) and sat down on another machine. After a while, I got up and wiped down my machine, told my friend I was just going to stretch and walked slowly to my favorite stretch area. A guy I sometimes work out with was stretching there and I talked to him as I stretched. I started feeling much better after about 20 minutes. To think I got that overheated in the middle of winter!

This week we have been in the high 60's and low 70's, but to get that overheated in an indoor gym, No Fun! Glad tomorrow is a swimming day!
  10. Happy Tuesday Morning Workout

This morning I worked out with my team. It was a good practiceóenough people to be lively, yet not so many that we felt like sardines in the pool. The practice was tough but doable, and there was lots of banter between sets. It was a good reminder about whatís great about my swimming life in NYC.

Hereís what we did (scy):

600 warmup

1 x 100 @ 1:25
    2 x 25 @ :25
    2 x 100 @ 1:25
    2 x 25 @ :30
    3 x 100 @ 1:25
    2 x 25 @ :35
    4 x 100 @ 1:25
    2 x 25 @ :40
    5 x 100 @ 1:25
    2 x 25 @ :45
    6 x 100 @ 1:25
    [On each set of 100s I did the odds FR, the evens 50FR/50BK]

100 easy upside-down IM

6 x 100 IM @ 1:35 (1,4=reg. order; 2,5=rev IM; 3,6=MR order)

12 x 75 (25 K/50 S): odds=FR @ 1:20; evens = ST @ 1:30

200 warmdown

I have 2 swim events coming up over the next two weekends. This Sunday Iím swimming in the Eisenhower Park meet. Heat sheets are up; Iím entered in all 3 IMs and the 500 FR. On 1/31 Iím doing Team New Yorkís One Hour Swim.

Iím not tapering or doing much specific prep for either eventótheyíre both low-key, show-up-and-see-what-I-can-do affairs. Iím looking forward to seeing lots of familiar faces at both events. One of the joys of perusing heat sheets is anticipating seeing friends you havenít run into for a while!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Indentured Servant Available for Immediate Joblock

by , January 19th, 2010 at 03:12 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    With the senatorial election going on today in Massachusetts, my bankruptcy on the installment plan seems to be accelerating.

This is the time of the year when law-abiders such as myself put together our financial inventory of the previous year to give to our accountants so they can figure out how much more we owe.

A few of the highlights of 2009:

Accounting fees: $3250
    Property and school taxes: $20,588
    Health Insurance premiums: $20,221
    Food, federal and state taxes, college, etc.: it doesn't really matter at this point because there is hardly anything left

It has been said that people are more willing to discuss their sex lives than their incomes, and so it is with me.

Let me just say that I truly wish I were allowed to sell Thornton Bonds to China, because this represents my only hope of continuing with the deficit spending lifestyle that puts food-like substances on the pile of wood we call a "table."

In examining my various extravagances, it looks to me like the $500 deductible, 80/20 coverage health insurance plan is going to have to go, sooner or later.

In March, BC/BS of MN will announce this year's annual increase of rates that we in this particular death spiral will be expected to shoulder. Last year, it went up nearly $200 a month; this year, I expect at least as much. With Obamacare once on the horizon, I had figured I could slowly sell off possessions (though the market for old swimming suits, I've found, is not exactly robust on eBay or Craigslist) until 2014, then cut some slightly better deal when I turn 61; at which point, I figured I could continue limping till finally, at age 65, I could start to take my rightful place at the teat of Medicare, sucking as rapaciously as my weakened-to-frailty suck musculature no doubt will have become by then.

Alas, now the "slight improvement at age 61" looks increasingly unlikely.

In 90 minutes, I am going on my scooter to the opthamological practice of my friend, teammate, and eye doctor, "Uncle" Danny Nadler. Ordinarily, I never go to doctors unless it involves the possibility of sexual leprosy (which I am still somewhat suspicious I carry inside my body, though the best diagnostic techniques have thus far failed to catch the Guinea Worm when it surfaces for air.)

The reason I am going to Uncle Danny's is because my identical twin brother John was just recently diagnosed with mild glaucoma in his right eye, and now has to take nightly prostaglandin drops to prevent (what John is convinced but I am dubious) blindness.

Throughout our lives, everything dire that John has had, I have had worse.

I do not believe drops will be enough for me. I am imagining some kind of in-home fire hose which will irrigate both eyeballs for several hours each night.

As if all my current medical catastrophes (taking statin drugs for once high cholesterol, and antidepressants to keep the Black Dog's episodic return for treats a bit less frequent), the prospect of adding glaucoma to my list makes the possibility of being underwritten by any cherry-picking, lemon-dropping Health Insurance Company, for-profit or non-profit, not only unlikely, but 100 percent absolutely impossible.

Which brings me to today's request.

From what I understand, people with "real" jobs, as defined by not working for themselves, who instead receive a pay check from a company big enough to haggle with insurers over group rates, and for whom the Insurance Industry is barred by law from medical underwriting of individuals, could conceivably provide a somewhat better deal than what I now have.

An example I have used in the past: an obese, five-pack-a-day smoker who was incensed recently when his company began to charge him $50 a month for health insurance.

My new plan: before the teat of Medicare bares itself to my thin cruel lips, might I affix my rasper organ on the teat of Industry?

I don't smoke. I am not obese. And I am willing to pay $55 a month for health insurance!

Actually, here is what I am offering, no joke:

If anyone out there in USMS land is the owner/decision maker of a large enough company to provide even the most meager of catastrophic healthcare coverage to his/her employees, would I be able to pay you to hire me?

Figure out exactly what me and my family's participation in your group health insurance company would cost you. Say it is $1200 a month.

You can then pay me minimum wage for the minimum number of hours I need to work to qualify for your health insurance plan. Say this minimum is 40 hours at $7.25 an hour, or $290 a week. This translates to roughly $1250 a month.

Total expenditure for you: $1200 insurance premiums + $1250 minimum wage = $2450 per month. You can write this off your corporate taxes, saving a bit more.

But that's not all!

You then can turn around and charge me $2450 per month for something believable, like maybe a corporate uniform you insist I wear at work. You can say, as one of the terms of my employment, that I must buy a new $2450 uniform from you every month.

My proposal for such a garment: a bright orange jump suit with your company's name prominently displayed on the front and back, along with the line:

Jim Thornton, Indentured Servant for Life to {your company name and logo.}

At this point, you have not actually spent a single dime because everything has been surreptitiously rebated back to you via the uniform cost. I will even make the uniform myself and handle the billing for you! In fact, you are already ahead of the game because of whatever tax savings you're able to glean from writing my salary and benefits off as a business expense.

But it doesn't stop here!

I will also provide free advertising on my vlog and generally extol the virtues of your enterprise 24/7.

And another thing I believe will be of inestimable value to the right kind of executive mindset.

We all know that slavery and indentured servitude are technically illegal. If you accept my proposal, however, I will make no bones about my status. I will tell everyone I meet that I am, in fact, your indentured servant.

Think how much hay you can make with this at the Club?

You are probably wondering why I would prefer to give you $2450 per month PLUS all these other added enticements when my current premiums are only $1711.50 a month (though admittedly certain to climb soon).

The reason: I hate my insurance company so much that to be able to say **** You to them would be worth far more than $738.50 per month.

And when my new plan rescinds my new policy for some new reason that is impossible for us little guy indentured servants to ever predict, and the inhospitable hospital wheels me to the curb for pickup by Waste Mangagement, by then a wholely owned subsidiary of American $$$ Health Amalgamated, I will be able to go gently into the black hole that has been sucking me down for as long as I can remember!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -01/20/10

by , January 19th, 2010 at 02:03 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    4 X 100 free 1:40
    3 X 100 kick 2:20
    2 X 100 IM 1:50
    Two times through

1 X 100 easy 2:00
    1 X 50 fast 1:30
    Choice. Four times through.

4 X 100 2:30
    Choice
    #1 moderate
    #2-3-4 @ race pace, broken :10 at the 50.

8 X 75 1:20
    fly/back/breast

8 X 25
    odd: build to race finish
    even: blocks, sprint 20

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

3800Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Pull, pull, pull....

by , January 19th, 2010 at 11:42 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Tuesday, 1/19/10

(Should just write "refer to Flyqueen's blog" since our workouts were the same today.)

SCY with Carrie

300 swim free
    kick 6x75 choice w/10 sec. rest
    pull 2x150 w/15 sec. rest
    swim 8 x 50 on 1:00, descend 1-4 free, 5-8 back

pull 4 x 150 free on 2:30 @75%, breathe every 3
    2 x 50 easy choice on 1:15
    pull 4 x 100 free on 1:40 @75%, breathe every 5
    2 x 50 easy choice on 1:15
    pull 4 x 50 free on 50 @80%, breathe every 5

swim down 2 x 50 easy choice

Total: 2950 yards

Afternoon run
    35 minutes including warmup and cool down.
    3.1 miles at 30 minutes then jog/walk to cool off

Started strength training with a trainer today. We will meet twice weekly for about an hour each time from now until I begin my taper for SCY Nationals.

Updated January 20th, 2010 at 01:37 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Tue Jan 19th, 2010

by , January 19th, 2010 at 09:43 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue Jan 19th, 2010

weighed 222

Right middle FINGER hurts from smashing it into the wall in backstroke finals

Next meet is Austin Grand Prix

Just finished the 2010 New Years Classic, here's how it went:
    50 BK 25.15
    50 FL 24.3
    200 IM 2:06.0
    100 FR 51.8
    50 FR 22.48
    100 BK P 55.35 F 54.9

Weights at world gym in san marcos
    5:30 - 5:50
    lat press
    lat pull
    bench press
    leg press

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    Whitney coached
    6:30 - 8:00
    swam with Erin, Mike, & Amy
    beside Tyler, Marcio, Larry, Jon, Nate, & Max
    dove in on time

wore b70 legs

Warm Up
    800 done 150 fr 50 k

Main Set

2 x 200 fr on 2:30

4 x 100 fr on 1:15

8 x 050 done 25 fl 25 fr on 45 do 4 or more SDKs on fl

4 x 25 FAST on 40 from a dive

2 x 200 fr on 2:30

4 x 100 fr on 1:15

8 x 050 done 25 bk 25 fr on 45 whitney said to do 6 or more SDKs on bk

got out to make a meeting

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down 43 days away

April 9 -11
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown 79 days away

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN 120 days away

Updated January 20th, 2010 at 10:11 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  15. Monday January 18th and Tuesday January 19th (and meet)

Saturday - Barrington Meet
    I swam the 50 fly/back/free and 100/200 free
    I continue to swim the 200 from time to time despite my utter inability to swim it well. Oh sure, I've had a race now and then that aren't piss poor but for the most part they all suck. I never got into a groove on my 200 and it never felt good ... this is why I sprint ... oh well.

50 free was good. Got a good turn over FINALLY and actually felt like I was moving. It's a good inseason time for me. I tend to drop time like crazy during taper.

50 back was a PR. Not sure where it came from but seeing as I swim it about once a year it's not surprising. It was the first time I felt good on my turn AND finish. Not bad. Definitely swimming this at nats. (until I have a few bad races and curse it again at least)

50 fly was good. I want to be under :30 in season and I was just about a tenth off. Should happen later in the season when I actually begin to train fly again.

100 free was hard, too. I had about 5 minutes after the 50 back so I never got the speed I wanted. Not a bad time but not stellar.

Another meet on Sunday. Swimming 50 free/fly/back and 100 free. Hoping for a better 100 free since it's the first event I swim.

Monday:

4 x 25 ez free on :30
    4 x 50 drill IM order
    4 x 75 Kick on 1:30
    4 x 100 pull on 1:30
    4 x 150 (kick/drill/swim by 50) IM order r:20
    4 x 200 free on 3:00
    4 x 150 (kick/drill/swim by 50) IM order r:20
    4 x 75 kick on 1:30
    4 x 50 drill IM order 1:00
    4 x 25 fast IM order :45
    100 ez

4,100 yards

Tuesday

w/u
    300 swim
    6 x 75 kick
    2 x 150 pull
    8 x 50 1-4 free 5-8 choice desc. (didn't do the last 4)

4 x 150 pull on 2:20
    2 x 50 ez
    2 x 50 ez
    4 x 50 pull on :45
    50 ez

2,700 yards

As for the tech suit ruling .. not sure where the smiley face is that cries a river and floats away but that's what I need. I'm having a memorial service for my B70. It's going to be an Irish wake where we try just to recall the good times. The burial will take place prior to said wake. Details to follow.

Updated January 19th, 2010 at 01:20 PM by FlyQueen (Added meet info)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Low Key Tuesday

by , January 19th, 2010 at 07:41 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just did not feel like working hard today and did not have a clock initially.

500 Free every 3rd lap back
    5x100@1:45 Free long & loose
    5x100@1:45 Free kick on side w/fins
    5x100@2:00 as 25 fly skull drill/25 fly under water recovery/50 fly kick on back w/fins
    5x100@1:30 free to back 4fr, 3fr/1bk, 2fr/2bk, 1fr/3bk, 4bk w/paddles & bouy made 1st 3 on interval
    10x50@1:00 Free w/snorkle focus on pull and head position
    200 Free Easy

Total 3200 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Aerobic/sprint workouts in one

by , January 18th, 2010 at 11:43 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    I like to try to get one longer workout in a week (more than 2000 to 2500 yards), so opted to swim part of the older kids workout today. Worked better for my schedule because son was out of school when I normally swim on my own, so just decided to swim with older kids while he was training in other part of pool. As always, between talking to coach and taking care of administrative things, slid in late. Had to use the first round of the main set as a warm-up:

3 rounds of 3 x 250 on 4:00 and easy 50 on 1:00

1st round was 100 easy, 5 seconds rest, 2 x 50 power (work DPS) with 5 seconds rest between each, 5 seconds rest, 50 sprint

2nd round was 100 easy, 5 seconds rest, 50 power, 5 seconds rest, 2 x 50 sprint with 5 seconds rest between each

3rd round was straight 250s (I opted to do these with paddles.)
    ------------------------------------
    4 x 100 (no fins) 50 dolphin on back and 50 free kick on side on 2:00 - Found out my back dolphin rocks as compared to the kids and my kick on side stinks.

8 x 50 non-free on 1:00. Did all back

2 rounds of the following:

2 x 75 build on 1:20 - did free
    4 x 25 IMO pull on :40 (amazing how slow I go without my kick)
    2 x 100 on 1:45 - Did first free and second back with paddles
    4 x 25 IMO swim on :40

100 easy

Went to chiro today. Tight again on left side. Still trying to work through it. It is better than a week ago, so hopefully I can get it out of the way by Auburn.

Ordered my FS Pro Kneeskin over the weekend. This is the same suit I used last year at Auburn for all but one of my events. As my seed times, I'm going to use the times I did at the meet last year. Hopefully, I'll be healthy and back/hip will cooperate so that I can try to swim faster than I did last year.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. swam finals improved my time 54.

by , January 18th, 2010 at 11:22 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    swam finals, here's how it went,
    improved my time from prelims

Event 34 Boys 15 & Over 100 Yard Backstroke

6 Rasmussen, Ande 46 TXLA-ST
    54.92 26.30 28.62
    SDKs 10 10 8 6

took it out a half second faster
    SDKs 10 10 8 6 (really hurting that last length)
    jammed right middle finger on finish

Updated January 19th, 2010 at 01:54 PM by ande

Categories
    USA-S Swim Meets / Events
  19. monday MLK Day

by , January 18th, 2010 at 09:52 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Today was a crowded solo swim at Carmel Aquatic Center. There were 2 private high school teams, 1 age group team, 2 lanes of kiddee swim lessons, and 4 lanes for lap swimming during my attempt at an unofficial 1 hour swim today. I ended up having to circle swim with 3 other people. It worked out okay with only 3 or 4 delays because of bottlenecking and not being able to pass. I ended up going 3675. After the hour I did 5 X 50 Backstroke on a minute to work my arms opposite. I would have done more but the aquatic center was closing. Total 3925 scy

I resolved to "read" more books in 2010. With my recent entry into empty-nestism I should have plenty of opportunity to sit down and read.
    This week-end in my free time I read: "Handle With Care" Jodi Picoult, "How to Win Friends and Influence People" Dale Carnegie, "Is It You, Me, Or Adult ADHD?" by Gina Parrot, and recently started "Twenties Girl" Sophie Kinsella.
    I didn't go to the library or bookstore, I just found these books lying around the house. I wish I had a Kindle. I may put that on my next birthday list. It would be like having a library in your "girl cave!"

CHIROPRACTOR: I got an adjustment from Marty's Chiro today. I have a low grade lingering neck stiffness probably caused by an over-abundance of left sided freestyle breathing. I've never been very keen on Chiropractic treatment. It never helped me with any of my running issues "back in the day."
    I went in right after my 1 hour swim today so I was as loose as I could probably be. The Chiro had no problems adjusting and cracking me in all positions. I'll admit it felt pretty good. The chiro said my spine was as resilient and springy as a 20 year old's. (I'm not sure what she meant by that?)
    I scheduled 12 more appointments; another on Friday then 1 per week for 10 more weeks. I figured it's worth a try and most importantly my insurance covers it!

I am going to try to informally organize 3 training sessions leading up to the Morse 10K National Championship ow swim. I am stealing the idea from the Orland Park Master's team. February will be 100 X 50 probably on a 1 minute interval, March will be 100 X 75 on 1:30 interval, and May will be the "Big Kahuna" 100 X 100's on some agreed upon interval. Since nasti's have the pool for exactly 60 minutes we will be unable to do these at a regular practice. I figure we can go to Fisher's or Carmel HS aquatic center on a Saturday lap swimming session. I am hoping to find a couple Nasti team mates to do this with. I'll be advertising on FB. I'm even going to supply the Gu, Power Bars, and Water!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Pants on the ground! 1/18/10

by , January 18th, 2010 at 08:14 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Nothing to do with my swim really...just a good blog title to annoy Paul Smith

This is a Jacki Hirsty workout. I found it in my stack and took another tour.

Warm
    300 Swim with Snorkel

Set 1
    200 Pull 3:30
    150 Kick 3:30
    100 Swim Build

Set 2
    6 x 75 1:15
    1 x 50 recovery
    4 x 75 1:10 Faster (10 rest)
    1 x 50 recovery
    2 x 75 1:05 Very Fast (5 rest)
    1 x 50 recovery
    4 x 75 1:10 Faster (10 rest)
    1 x 50 recovery
    6 x 75 1:15

I used a 1:30 recovery time on the 50's

Set 3
    6 x 100 Pull
    6 x 50 Kick
    6 x 25 EZ-Hard by 25

Cool
    4 x 50

It was a good swim, I came down with another cold on Saturday. Added to that is a glorious case of urticaria likely from a reaction to cold medicines...I have a beautiful picture of it on Facebook. Neither of these maladies prevented me from getting my yards in though...so I feel proud of myself for "batting on" (that's a cricket term for the unenlightened).

After this I did my usual weights routine. I was a little off of the pace from Friday but I'm obviously run down.

Had my usual accelerade during swim-time and Muscle Milk for the recovery.

Updated January 18th, 2010 at 09:13 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized