View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -01/08/10 -SCY

by , January 7th, 2010 at 04:39 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:45
    4 X 100 1:40
    4 X 100 1:30

3 X 100 kick 2:10
    8 X 50 kick 1:15
    50's: 25 fast/25 easy

8 X 50 *2 of each stroke* 1:00
    4 X 100 IM 1:45
    2 X 200 IM 3:30

5 X 200 pull 3:00
    1/2: Negative split.
    Descend 3-4-5

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4300Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Ouch! Thursday, Jan. 7

by , January 7th, 2010 at 03:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Drylands:

push ups w/push up stand 3 x 15*
    ab roll outs w/power wheel, 3 x 15
    jump rope, 2 x 75
    prone scapular scrunches, 3 x 25
    3 position arm extensions, 3 x 3 x 15

* The push up stand seems to make the exercise harder to me. Perhaps it's the increased range of motion. The stands are definitely easier on the wrists.

P90X Ab Killer DVD (15 minutes):

[ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7tcpx_p90x-ab-ripper-x-part-1_school"]Dailymotion - P90X Ab Ripper X Part 1 - a College video@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x7tcpx@@AMEPARAM@@x7tcpx[/ame]

Commentary:

I knew after my first few jumps with the rope that this would be a hard day. My legs were still totally dead from my brutal double on Tuesday. The word "cramp" was never far from my mind and, indeed, that is, unhappily, what ensued ...

Noon Swim w/Speedo @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

750 variety

6 x 25 shooters

Transition set:

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = swim
    evens = kick

(I missed one of these.)

50 EZ

Main Set:

Speedo and I had decided to do Geek's lactate set (w/modifications) from several days ago. He was likewise weary from a hard practice yesterday. But, there really is no sense putting off lactate work, so we gamely had at it. I certainly plan to do more of it now that I've got some aerobic work under my belt.

1 x 200 w/fins @ 8:00

I swam 5 1/2 lengths and quit. I got a calf cramp the instant I pushed off to begin swimming. It didn't hurt as much when I dolphin kicked, but the minute I transitioned, it tightened even worse. It was so painful, I stopped. I'm a quitter. I was out in a :57. My stroke didn't feel very good (not like last week), so I was surprised to even go out that fast. The legs felt positively leaden.

150 EZ

1 x 100 w/fins @ whatevah

I did fly. Went a :59. Very unspectacular; I've gone faster. But at least it was a cramp free swim.

150 EZ

2 x (50 AFAP w/fins @ whatevah + 100 EZ)

1st 50 = fly, went :24
    2nd 50 = back. went :23.5 ish even though I slipped on the wall

These were faster than I expected and certainly better efforts than my 200 and 100. Good to know I haven't lost all my speed. Speedo's underwater SDKs and streamlining have really improved!

2 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 25 EZ @ whatevah)
    (one free, one belly shooter)

100 EZ

Evil Drill set:

5 x (3 x 50), RI = :20-25

#1 = breast kick (trying to keep knees close)
    #2 = PLD (pull, lunge, dolphin) breast drill
    #3 = Chris' breast drill where you alternate PLD with regular breaststroke each stroke. I really liked this drill and will continue to do it.

50 EZ

Total: 3350

10 minutes in hottub.

Commentary:

That was a nice kick in the pants and welcome back to the world of lactate pain. This would be a good set to repeat. The only problem with it from a sprinter perspective is that it's very hard to recover from that first 200. It takes a toll on the subsequent 100. I guess you could reverse the order of the set as well.

Definitely time to increase the race pace work!

I wish someone would come stand over me an make me stretch tonight. I really need it. I have no idea why I have a lapse of motivation in this area ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Streamlining:

Pete and I discussed streamlining some and, in particular, 2 recent USMS tips. One is Chris Colburn's "hanging streamline drill" discussed here: https://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php?a=238. Another is a tech tip drill Pete read about where you simply practice streamlining by pushing off and seeing how far you go. Keep repeating and hopefully see improvement. I'll definitely try these drills.

F Gluten!

I think I might have made it through my first gluten free day without accidentally glutening myself. Have been doing some reading. It also seems that muscle cramping and abdominal cramps can also be symptoms of gluten intolerance. http://www.celiac.com/articles/1106/...oms/Page1.html. In addition to my usual calf cramps, I've had some wicked abdominal cramps. Perhaps this will improve if I can successfully alter my diet.

Updated January 7th, 2010 at 06:37 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Test Sets
  3. Doo-B-Do-Over

by , January 7th, 2010 at 01:57 PM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    Doo-B-Do-Over
    Posted January 6th, 2010 at 09:33 PM by Chicken of the Sea
    As the self appointed Chicago branch of the Sewickley SeaDragons, I've been receiving Bill White's excellent workouts via email on a daily basis.

Bill was on holidays over the recent Christmas break, though, so I was in a bit of a panic until Vlog the Inhaler stepped in with the Jimcentric "B" level mediocre workout. I received this fabulous looking workout on Dec 28th and was so excited that I raced to the pool two days later to do it.

About 10 minutes into the swim, I was ejected from my lane by a noodler class consisting of 4 ladies. A polite plea for compassion from the instructor resulted in "YES WE NEED 2 LANES FOR THIS CLASS YES OF COURSE WE DO!!!!!!". Said instructor then moved 2 of the women into the second lane so as to occupy it and I had to wait until a nice man offered to share his swimming lane.

Anyway......I was very grumpy and, although I got to finish the workout, I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have.

So yesterday I did a do-over!!!

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Thursday

by , January 7th, 2010 at 11:41 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    1/7/09

SCY, Solo

2x around
    {200 swim, 200 kick, 200 pull}
    Round 1 free, Round 2 back

3 x 150 free on 2:20, hold pace/make interval
    (went 2:06-2:09-2:11. took extra :30 sec rest)
    3 x 50 free on 1:00: start pretty fast, but descend to all out by #3
    (went :38-:37-:36. took extra 30 sec rest)
    3 x 150 back on 2:45, hold pace/make interval
    (went 2:22-2:25-2:25. took extra :15 sec rest)
    3 x 50 back on 1:00, start fast and descend to all out
    (went :44-:44-:42)

50 easy

3 x 75 pull free on 1:15
    3 x 75 pull back on 1:30

--

Total: 2900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Thursday Jan 7th 2010 Mid Distance

by , January 7th, 2010 at 11:10 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thursday Jan 7th 2010

Weighed 223 after practice

You gonna watch the GAME tonight?

Today at 3:00 UT men & women swim auburn

Got this message from Whitney Yesterday
    Thursday night practice has been cancelled so all can watch the awesome UT football game that starts at 7 pm.
    However, there WILL BE a noon workout offered instead. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have and for the late notice but go cheer on those HORNS!

I had my first and I think quite graceful fall into the water this morning at practice. I have been coaching since 1996 and I have never fallen into the water until today. I hope it was a good laugh for all. I have chuckled over it numerous times today.
    I'm in Nashville Sat Jan 9th - Wed Jan 13th
    Made arrangements to train with NAC

Austin got hit with a cold snap, was 50 this morning, it hit, now it's 34

Thinking about doing a double today, incase the roads are bad tomorrow

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy
    Whiitney coached
    6:30 - 8:00
    swam with Brandon, Todd, Ned, & a guest
    beside Tyler, Max, & Amy
    arrived on time

wore Brief

warm up
    200 fr
    100 right side kick
    150 fr
    100 left side kick
    100 fr
    100 drill
    050 fr
    100 drill

main set
    4 rounds of challenging interval stuff
    400 fr
    300 fr
    200 fr
    100 fr
    050 easy

round 1) on 1:10 base
    skipped 50's from 400, 300 & 200

round 2) on 1:10 base

round 3) on 1:10 base

round 4) swam with Todd & Amy
    400 on 4:20 went 4:15,
    300 on 3:30, skipped a 50 from 300 (lost count)
    200 on 2:10, made it
    100 on 1:10

2010 MEETS:

January 15 – 18, 2010
    2010 ST TXLA New Years Classic
    Austin, TX

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down 55 Days

April 9 -11
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Mixing it up alittle

by , January 7th, 2010 at 07:29 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today was going to be an easier day but as my drive would have it NO WAY!

10x100@1:45 Free

500 kick w/fins every 3rd 25 FAST alternate 100 Free / 100 Fly
    300 Back kick w/fins as drills 100 fashion model, 100 arms perpendicular, 100 partial recovery
    200 Breast kick

10x50@1:00 Breast pull w/fins get the dolphin motion into the stroke
    5x200@3:15 w/paddles #1 Free, #2 150Free/50Back, #3 100Free/100Back, #4 50 Free/150 back, #5 200 Back made the interval on all even the 200 back in 3:12

200 Free EASY

Total 3700 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. 01-11-10 Folsom

by , January 6th, 2010 at 11:44 PM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Folsom 05:30-06:20
    Warm
    2x
    2x200 (1.FR, 2. 50FR/50 Stroke)
    2x100K (1.FR, 2. IM K)
    Main
    3x
    3x150 on 2:15 des.
    1x150 ez
    (only did 9)
    50 cool then out to catch a train.

A belated Happy New Year to all.
    Today I was able to squeeze in about an hour workout with about 20 minutes to shower, then catch the light rail train to the downtown. It goes fast and the water was perfect.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Wednesday, 1/6/10

by , January 6th, 2010 at 11:39 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY with Carrie

300 swim free
    300 kick choice
    (rotated through different kicks)
    300 pull choice
    (150 free w/p&b, 150 back w/buoy only)
    8 x 50 on 1:00 alt. drill/build by 25
    (2x through IM order)

3x around:
    {
    3 x 50 kick choice w/10 sec. rest
    (#1 on back, 25 dolphin/25 flutter)
    (#2 flutter w/board)
    (#3 breast w/board)
    swim 200 free smooth on 3:30
    (swam these around 2:55)
    swim 6 x 25 faster (but not all out - use your legs a bunch here):
    round 1 on 35, round 2 on 30, round 3 on 25
    (these were all around 17-18)
    }

swim down 100
    --
    Total: 2900 yards

45 minute spin class at the gym during lunch break
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Chiro, Weights, and the Puppy

by , January 6th, 2010 at 11:04 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Went to the chiro today and he opined that my problem is in the sacroiliac joint and is not a muscular thing. So, the goal is to open up the joint more, because it has stiffened up again. He did some adjustments that did seem to make things better.

I opted not to swim today because rotation seems to aggravate it and so does turning of any sort - flips or open. So, thought I would "rest" that area. I've already blown my resolution of swimming 4 days this week, but guess it is better to lay back this week so I can swim 4 times a week in the upcoming weeks.

I still think stepping over the babygates is the primary culprit. In stepping, I naturally lead with my left leg. This means I put all my weight on my left side and twist, so I can't imagine this has been good for letting things heal up. Starting today, I am bending over and simply unlocking the gate.

The puppy keeps me busy. She is 4 months old. I've probably burned off the holiday weight gain just keeping up with the puppy. I've attached a picture for all to see.

Went to the weight room and avoided any twisting motions. Had a pretty good session and was encouraged by the fact that my arms were not overly fatigued after swimming 4900 yards yesterday.

Here is the workout:

Bench press: bar x 45, 65, x 5, 3 sets of 100 x 3

Lat high row: 2 sets of 90 x 5, 3 sets of 140 x 5.

Bicep curls with barbell: 2 sets of 35 x 8

Military press: 2 sets of 50 x 8

Ls in captain's chair: 2 sets of 10
    These are more than leg lifts. You have to support your weight and bring legs straight up and out in an "L" and hold for a second or two. To do this, instead of resting your arms on the armrest on the chair, you stand with your back to the chair, grab the place where you would to do dips, pull your body straight up so that your hips are even with your hands (for me it is just below hips). Your arms should be straight and so should your back. Then, lift your legs up so that you make an "L." Talk about quad and core burn! Much harder than basic leg lifts in the captain's chair! This is basically a movement that male gymnasts do with the rings (except they hold it for much longer). I think Fort would like these.

Updated January 6th, 2010 at 11:29 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0067.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	6328  
  10. 1/06/09--I hope you took your decorations down!

by , January 6th, 2010 at 10:01 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well I didn't blog yesterday but I did 40 minutes elliptical and 20 mins core work.

Today I went swimming again...and as I sit here listening to lyrics mentioning something about being "Knocked out by American thighs" I can't help but think of my poor aching gams...I still felt the kick set from Monday yesterday and then the elliptical didn't improve matters..so I took to the water with the oomph and grace of a walrus on land.

So I tortured myself thusly:
    200 Swim felt a bit whacked on this but took the time to work my rotation and hand placement. It nearly caused me to ram the wall with my loaf due to not noticing the turn mark.
    200 Kick
    Did this all free moderate speed not like the hard set on Monday. Felt good, tried to keep a good rhythm and pace while focusing on scooping with my plates and Bromleys.
    200 Pull Stuck the Styrofoam plug between my bacon and eggs and got on with the set.

6 x 100 FR 1:30 so I managed all of these although finishing rep numbers 2 and 3 left me as a touch and go I got a couple of second after #4 and 5 secs after #5. Only did 6 as this was 1 more than my previous tally on this interval and also it was a 600 block (my pattern for the day).

200 EZ after a little rest nothing too exciting here just more focus on rotation.

4 x 50 3 BR/3 FL no interval here just trying to find a nice rhythm.
    4 x 50 FL 1:15 I got through these in an ungraceful fashion (see Walrus on land quip) but I think I have found something in my pull...need to go into EVF I think .

200 EZ Even less to report on this other than I was truly gearing up for the last set.
    4 times through:
    100 IM 2:00
    100 FR 2:00

managed this swimming in 1:40 to 1:45 I definitely was tired and drained from previous work outs and the 6 x 100.
    4 x 50 K FL did these with the board sans fins took a few seconds between 50's. Didn't go fast just tried to work the undulation.

4x 50 EZ
    just loafing off to end.

Not too bad but a good workout that got me huffing and puffing but I probably wasn't up to a greater ordeal.

Went to lift afterwards
    Wide Pull ups 8,7,6 on 1:00
    Close Chin ups 6, 5,5
    on 1:00
    Legpress/calf press 3x12 @ 300lb
    Leg Extn 3x12 @ 95lb each rep include a full and terminal extn. e.g.full up, half down, back up, full down.
    Leg Curl 3x12 @ 95lb
    Adduct/Abduct 3x12 @ 110lbs supersetting them back to back no rest
    Chest Press M/C 10, 8, 6 @ 140lb plus 6 more at 80lb
    Ab Machine 3x15@ 45lbs..I go by feel and burn than trying to lift weight so I don't know if that is the correct weight but it's ballpark.
    Pec-dec; 3x15 @ 3 plates (guessing 45ish) again I go for burn and full range of motion than weight here....

Used Accelerade during swim and lift and then guzzled an Endurox post lifting.

PS I know it's 2010.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. No Watching! Wed., Jan. 6

by , January 6th, 2010 at 08:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    9:00 to 3:00: Caught up on errands today. Didn't work out. I was about due for a rest day anyway, much as I hate them.

3:15: Dropped 15 year old off at senior swim practice. Didn't watch or hover.

4:30: Dropped 9 year old off at jazz dance. Didn't watch or hover. Drove home. (Why spoil it when the recital is Sunday?)

5:15: Fort Son arrived home from winter crew practice. We didn't discuss it. I'm already on notice that erg-ing is an evil and disliked necessity in crew. I did inquire how his ankle was after his run yesterday.

5:30 Picked up my 9 year old from jazz dance and took her to swim practice. (We don't care about homework apparently on Wednesdays.) Dropped her off and didn't watch or hover. Had to stay for 15 minutes waiting for 15 year old to finish practice. Got lectured by 15 year old for sitting in the bleachers for even this wee bit of time. Drove 3 loud teenagers home and eavesdropped on swim gossip.

6:45: Ordered pizza for children as I had no time (or inclination particularly with today's driving schedule) to cook for my family. Was slightly bitter about the fact that I couldn't eat any of it.

7:30: Picked up my 9 year old from swim practice. She announced she was excited about doing back flip turns. Otherwise, no discussion of swimming.

8:00: Helped 9 year old study for math test. This effort didn't last long. She claimed she knew it all, and I chose to believe her.

8:30: Made myself an omelet. Took a lactate pill and put cheese in my omelet. Started itching 30 minutes later -- I give up. There will be an attempt to stretch and do RC work tonight after 9 year old goes to bed. I like my new Stick.

Updated January 7th, 2010 at 08:34 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Wednesday Swimming

by , January 6th, 2010 at 07:38 PM (My Passion)
    Got to pool just before 5 and lead a stretch. Then did:

5 X 200 (alt free and breast every 200 - free on 3:30 and breast with 30 seconds rest)
    5 X 100 free on 1:30
    10 X 50 free on 1:00. Coach wanted 10 SDKs off of wall, I managed 8 once and 7 the rest of the time. My asthmatic condition makes it difficult to hold my breath that long with not a lot of recovery between sets.
    1 X 200 slow kick cool down

Cold front is fixin' to blow in tomorrow early, so I covered 11 Sago Palms with sheets when I got home from work today. Right now I am worried that they will blow off despite the rocks I weighed the sheets down with. Kind of looking forward to a little cool (ok cold) weather. It kills the bugs and it is fun to wrap up in sweats.
    Friday practice will happen though they are predicting 19 degrees, however, I will probably stay under my warm covers Saturday morning when they are predicting 21 degrees - I don't have to work and like to stay under the covers once in a while.

Happy Swimming .
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -01/07/10 -SCY

by , January 6th, 2010 at 03:56 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

WARM UP:
    4 X 150 2:45
    4 X 100 1:45
    8 X 50 1:00
    Descend 50's 1-4/5-8

4 X 100 kick 2:20
    8 X 50 kick 1:10
    50's: 25 fast/25 easy

SCY

1 X 200 IM-transition swim

4 X 50 1:05
    1 X 100 easy free 2:00
    Three rounds.
    Round 1: 50's/fly
    Round 2: back
    Round 3: breast

2 X 100 moderate 1:45
    1 X 50 @100% 1:15
    1 X 100 easy 1:45
    2 X 50 @ 100% 1:15
    Three times through.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4850Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. DOUBLE Wednesday Jan 6th aka baby baby where did my speed go

by , January 6th, 2010 at 03:54 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wednesday Jan 6th 2010

weighed 224 after practice

I'll be in Nashville Sat Jan 9th - Wed Jan 13th

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy
    Mary coached
    Noon to 1:15
    swam with Jon, Max, Larry & James Fike
    arrived on time

went in with the idea to do some lactate stuff today

this morning was stations,
    pulleys,
    vertical kick,
    fast 50 fast 100,
    800 pull,
    800 IM

but she erased the fast 50 fast 100 from the board for the noon group

wore legskins

warm up

main set
    assigned 800
    did 8 x 50, 12.5 fast SDK 37.5 easy

100 fr easy speed
    went 56

200 easy

100 fr easy speed
    went 54

100 k
    felt terrible died went 1:07
    legs totally petered out

200 easy

50 flutter k
    went 29.7

100 easy

2010 MEETS:

January 15 – 18, 2010
    Austin, TX

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down

April 9 -11
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. 1/6: Bike

by , January 6th, 2010 at 02:58 PM (Random Nonsense)
    AM

60 minutes on the stationary bike.

Taking a break from the bike this evening.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Maybe I should move to the country and manage a petting zoo

Yesterday I drove up to Alabama for lunch with my mom and aunt. It’s a pretty drive, past lots of farms, without much traffic—between towns I saw maybe one other car every couple minutes or so. Two of the little towns I pass though on the way to visit my folks are Ebro, famous locally for its dog track, and Vernon, which was featured in the documentary “Vernon, Florida” by Errol Morris . Between towns, I saw lots of little goats and calves, and the farm that a decade ago had emus now seems to be heavily invested in miniature horses. I wanted to bring home some of all of the above, or at least stop and pet them.

Actually, there used to be a menagerie just a few miles down the road from where I’m staying. It was called Patrones, and had goats and peacocks and bunny rabbits and one truly ginormous hog. You couldn’t pet the animals—they were shy—but for 50 cents you could buy a bag of popcorn to feed them. Admission was free—you could just walk in and wander about. It seemed like something straight out of Flannery O’Connor. I did worry about the pig’s quality of life. As far as I could tell it spent its days lying on its side and being scaled by the goats, who loved standing atop it.

After my four hours of driving to Alabama and back and a lunch of fried chicken, fried okra, and fried cornbread, I felt like I was beginning to turn into that hog. I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t kidnap any little goats to bring home with me. In any case, I was super ready for a workout. I made it back in time for the masters group’s evening workout at 5:30. Here’s what I did::

600 scy warmup

8 x 50 (25 build, 25 easy) @ :55

8 x 100 kick w/ fins @ 1:45, desc. 1-4 and 5-8 [1:24, 1:20, 1:14, 1:11, 1:30, 1:20, 1:17, 1:12]

4 x 200 pull @ 3:00 [2:45, 2:45, 2:40, 2:42]

2 x 400, 1st FR, 2nd IM, build both 400s by 100s

2 x 50 sprint FR [?, 30.6]

200 warmdown

The air temp tonight was about 40 when we got in, and about 35 when we got out (steam rose off everyone’s body when they exited the pool), but the water temp was fine. It was fun swimming in the cold, and really great seeing the pool absolutely filled with swimmers on such a chilly evening. Between the kids team and masters and the visiting college team, all 20 lanes were filled.

When they first built this pool (about 4 years ago), I couldn’t believe they would really keep it open year round. This is an area without a deep competitive swimming tradition, and during the first winter I often found myself swimming all alone by or with just one other swimmer. Locals thought I was absolutely nuts for swimming outdoors in the winter, even when it was just in the 50s and sunny. So kudos to Panama City Beach for building this great facility and making it successful! All I could think when I saw the pool full of happy swimmers tonight was that Field of Dreams got it right—If you build it, they will come!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Wednesday Jan 6th 2010

by , January 6th, 2010 at 11:27 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wednesday Jan 6th 2010

Today I missed seeing Coach Whitney fall in the pool Took wife to airport, missed the 1st hr

added count downs for 3 meets I plan to swim (below)

recently did my online 2010 USMS Registration
    Don't have a team?
    Register with Longhorn Masters, TXLA

Subscribe to this Blog

I'll be in Nashville Sat Jan 9th - Wed Jan 13th

weights at world gym

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy
    Whitney coached
    6:30 to 8:00
    swam beside todd, mike marcio and ned
    missed Nate who walked out just as I arrived
    arrived at 7:25

warm up
    missed it
    did around 500 when I finally arrived

main set
    today's work out was stations
    one of the stations was
    50 FAST for time
    100 FAST for time

so I put on legskins and did

50 fly 24.1
    whitney timed
    roll

200 easy rest 5 minutes

100 fr 51.2
    whitney timed
    roll

50 easy

thinking about coming back for more
    might do 4 or 5 fast 100's for time

2010 MEETS:

January 15 – 18, 2010
    Austin, TX

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down

April 9 -11
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Keepin it long and loose

by , January 6th, 2010 at 07:40 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    It has been soooooo cold here in the south and today I even forgot to call my son to wake him up. But luckly he woke on his own.

10x100@2:00 Free 1/2 pull 1/2 kick

500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd fly
    5x100@1:30 Free kick w/fins made it with 5 seconds to spare
    had to change fins due to a cut on my toe

100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    200@3:00 Free w/paddles & bouy
    300@4:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    400@6:00 Free w/paddles & bouy

20x25@:40 Fly drills w/fins alternate 6kick/stroke, skull drill
    500 Free easy

Total 4000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Lower back issues

by , January 5th, 2010 at 11:56 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Problem in lower back on left side kicked up again so back to chiro tomorrow to "work it out." I may have to figure out what it is that keeps aggravating it. I suppose it could be anything. We just got a new puppy and have babygates all over the house. I almost wonder if all the stepping over the gates is aggravating it.

I've had problems with this area on and off for 7 years - same side, same place. Part of the reason is stiffness in the sacroiliac region as well as a slight leg length difference ( left leg is slightly longer than right leg).

Long-axis strokes, especially freestyle really seems to aggravate it, so I may be doing a bunch of one arm fly and kicking in my workouts until this thing goes away. Funny what areas become problem area as we get older. Looks like this one will be something I'll be dealing with for the rest of my life.

Knock on wood, don't seem to have any shoulder problems. I consider this a blessing given the mega fly yardage in college.
    Every now and then, the knees get a little stiff. My sis (a PA) says that this is slight arthritis and should be expected at my age. Knees aren't sore anymore, so if I don't go back to jumping when I jump rope, I'll at least run.

My try to zero in on another yoga class. This seems to keep the problem in my lower back from coming up when I have done it.

Had a good workout today:

Warm-up: 200 easy swim
    200 kick with fins: alternate 50 back dolphin with 50 free kick on side

Distance set:

500 on 7:30
    400 on 6:00
    300 on 4:30
    200 on 3:00
    100 on 1:30

Sprint set:

24 x 75 on 1:30

I did the set as 8 sets of 75 fly, 75 back, and 75 free. On fly, I did the first 25, 3 rt./3 lt.

100 easy

3 x 200 kick with fins on 3:00 - 50 fr kick/100 dolphin/50 fr kick

400 fly drill/swim as follows:
    100 drill
    25 swim
    75 drill
    50 swim
    50 drill
    75 swim (did 3 rt/3 lt/ 3 full
    25 drill

100 easy

4900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Back In The Pool

by , January 5th, 2010 at 11:38 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    1/5/10

SCY, Solo
    The city pool opened yesterday after being closed since the 1st week in December. It was nice to swim in a full length pool again.

400 Reverse IM alt. kick/swim by 25
    200 pull choice
    200 IM drill

swim 200 free on 3:20
    swim 3x75 fl/bk/br by 25 on 1:30
    swim 3x75 fr/fl/bk by 25 on 1:30
    swim 3x75 br/fr/fl by 25 on 1:30
    swim 3x75 bk/br/fr by 25 on 1:30

swim the 200s nice and smooth; descend the 75s 1-3; #3 should be a pretty hard effort

swim 12x25 choice on 30, #3, 5, 8 fast
    --
    Total: 2800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized