View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Quickie 2/7/10

by , February 7th, 2010 at 05:48 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Just had a 2.5 mile run outside in the cold..it might have been nearer to 3 miles but I don't know for sure.

Stretching and a little ab work before settling in for the game with a beer or two...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Sun Feb 7th 2010

by , February 7th, 2010 at 05:24 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sun Feb 7th 2010

NOTE: I changed the link on the south central Zones meet (below) the info is NOW available

Subscribe to this Blog

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    bridgette coached
    noon to 1:15
    swam with Tennielle & Larry
    beside James Fike, Paul, Max, Trent, & Dave VanDam
    wore speedo brief

600 warm up

20 x 25
    3 kick on 30, 1 drill on 25, 1 sw on 20

4 x 225 on 3:00
    4 x 50 fr on 50 desc
    4 x 25 on 30

4 x 150 on 2:10
    4 x 50 fr on 50 desc
    4 x 25 on 30

4 x 75 on :50
    4 x 50 fr on 50 desc
    4 x 25 on 30

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010 Austin, TX UT Swim Center
    Austin Grand Prix
    Count Down

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Sunday February 7, 2010

Solo SCY

W/U
    200 free
    200 pull
    200 kick
    4 x 50 drill/swim IM order
    200 swim

Main-set
    2 x 600 kick with long fins (fly, free back by 200) Round 1 with snorkel
    8 x 25 kick with shoes fast

100 EZ

8 x 25 fast
    Round 1 IM Order
    Round 2 Fl/fl/fr/fr

300 c/d
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Powerless

by , February 7th, 2010 at 12:20 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    It started snowing here in western PA on Friday afternoon. When I got dropped off at practice, there was about 3-4 inches. Bill couldn't make it to the Y, so I called an audible. All in all, an easy practice, the only semi-hard thing being 10 x 100 on 2:00, swimming easy, medium, hard, easy, medium, hard, easy, medium, hard, easy.

Jeremy agreed to give me a ride home in his Canyonero, which made it up our driveway once he put it in four wheel drive.

My son Jack was at home, going slightly crazy already from cabin fever. We talked for a while about his legal troubles.

Then I started working on this article that was technically due on Friday--hoping to send it out by 11:59 p.m.

Five minutes later, i.e., approximate 8:22 p.m., the power went off. The computer crashed. One minute later, the power came back on for 20 seconds. Then it went off again.

I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by headlamp under several layers of blankets. The next morning, the house was 53 degrees, there was two feet of snow outside, and my cell phone was dead. Jack put on some boots and hiked through the snow cover to a friends house a couple miles away.

I stayed in bed as long as I could stand it, then got up, fed the pugs, and shoveled a path out to the garage. The snow was so deep I had to remove three Eskimo blocks of it just to reach the ground--three scoops, rest, three scoops, rest, and so forth, all the while gauging chest discomfiture for signs of imminent catastrophe.

It took a half hour to reach the garage. I plugged in the charger apparatus to the cigarette lighter, then turned the ignition. Nothing. Battery absolutely dead.

Back in the house, I remembered I could turn on the gas stove and light it manually. I turned on all the burners to get a little heat in the kitchen, then tried to fill the kettle with water for tea. We have a well, and the pump runs on electicity, so no water.

I found a small bottle of water in the fridge and used it to make a cup of tea. Then I read a day old newspaper and went back to sleep.

When I got up, I made a fire in this wood burning stove insert in our fireplace. It's usually quite efficient heat-wise, but this depends on a blower that requires electrical power to operate. Without the blower, I wasn't sure if the fire would help much or not, but I hoped it would prolong the time it takes for pipes to freeze.

I shoveled another path that took me far enough to a semi-plowed portion of the neighbor's driveway, then hiked over there. They let me use one of their cars to charge my cell phone.

Then I walked down to Sewickley with my swimming suit, a towel, a razor, and some shaving cream.

Walking down Blackburn Road was like being a pedestrian in a bobsled run.

The Y was closed.

I went to the village of Sewickley to find something to eat. Most places were closed, but I managed to get a Quiznos $5 footlong, then called up 40yrold and asked if I could stop by to charge my phone, which had already lost almost all its juice. He said sure.

On the way over, I bought his three adorable daughter's a little Valentine's Day heart-shaped cupcake. When I arrived, two of the daughters had friends over, so my heart was divided into five pieces: Caroline, Sascha, Leila, Georgia, and (my mind is blanking) Harriet?--anyhow, all five consumed some.

I hiked back home. Jack left a message he was staying at a friend's house. I fed the dogs, put some more wood on the fire, and went to our Bed & Breakfast in Ambridge to spend the night. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo executed an extremely enjoyable form of revenge on her legal guardian. I slept for a while, then my mind went on worry-rotisserie mode for the rest of the night.

This morning, I came back to feed the pugs and possibly defrost them. I didn't have to do the latter. Linus the guinea pig was also still warm-blooded.

The power had come back on!

Judging from the inside temperature--up to 56 degrees and still climbing--the electric company must have restored service sometime earlier in the morning.

Who knows how long it will last?

We are supposed to get another 10 inches on Wednesday.

Clara! The other little friend was not Harriet but Clara! The mind blank passes.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Saturday's Swim, Bad Shoulder, and Bye-Bye Hairball!

by , February 7th, 2010 at 12:52 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1208.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	6338

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1209.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	6339
    After yesterday's Graston Therapy I am sporting bruised wings. I think they look worse here after my swim than they did before. I hope I wasn't supposed to take today off!

Last night we had blizzard like winds coupled with 8' of snow; it was crazy! This morning the winds ceased so I figured it would be okay to drive to Noblesville for Nasti's practice. (I have an awd BMW that's great in snow). Yesterday's e-mail noted practice would be delayed 1 hour due to the high school boys practicing later. I was disappointed to learn when I arrived that we wouldn't get to swim at all. Our county had declared a snow emergency status so using a school facility was a no-go. Bummer!
    I headed back over to LA Fitness and did a solo workout in the HOT and sunny 3 lane pool. Here's the workout:
    **1,000 Free Swim loosen up
    **25 fly kick/ 50 fly swim/ 75 fly kick/ 100 fly swim
    **25 Back kick/ 50 Backstroke/ 75 Back kick/ 100 Backstroke swim
    **25 Breast kick/ 50 breast swim/ 75 breast kick/ 100 Breast swim
    **25 Flutter kick/ 50 free swim/ 75 flutter kick/ 100 free swim
    (10 sec rest after each swim)
    **4 X 125 on 2:15 int (25 fly/100 free)
    **4 X 100 on 2:00int (25 back/ 75 Free)
    **4 X 75 on 1:30 int (25 breast/ 50 Free)
    **4 X 50 Free on :55 int
    **4 X 25 Fly on :40 int

3,500 scy

After my swim I hurried to my favorite shower stall to visit my ever-changing hairball friend. She was gone! All visible remains were wiped clean! My only guess is that the cleaning girl overheard me talking to a fellow patron in the locker bay. She must have searched all the shower crannies and nooks till she found the aging hairball and wiped her out with a swoop of bleach and lysol. I guess I outlasted the hairball at LA Fitness!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Snowpocalypse Workout, Sat. Feb. 6

by , February 6th, 2010 at 06:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    The 3 feet of snow arrived and we are totally snowed in. Well, except for all the shoveling that Mr. Fort and Fortson did. (See below. Poor Jimi's guest cottage is unapproachable.) This is definitely the most snow I've ever seen here. So I fired up the DVDs off and on today and did:

Drylands:

P90X Legs & Back, 60 minutes:

This is the first time I tried this DVD. My brother thinks it's tougher than the P90X plyo DVD, which is not for lightweights. The leg exercises are listed in this link: http://www.fitnessdestinations.com/p...-legs-and-back. The one legged wall squats were killer. I had to skip the "back" part of the workout -- chin ups and pull ups. I did roll outs with my power wheel during these segments. This is a a very lunge intensive DVD.

P90X Ab Killer, 15 minutes:

This was on the same DVD as above, so I just kept on going. The exercises and entire workout are found in this link: http://www.freeworkoutguides.com/wor...ripper-workout.

Other:

5 rounds of:

prone scapular scrunches, 25
    alternating hammers w/10 lb DBs, 30
    3 position arm extensions, 30
    1:00 jump rope

Yoga, 70 minutes:

I wasn't feeling up to power yoga after the above workouts, so I decided to try the Yoga Shakti DVD again. I liked it much better the second time around. I did about 70 minutes of the Solar Flow 2. It did have a lot of upward and downward dogs in the first 20 minutes, but there were fewer as I got past the warrior sequences. This routine focused on twisting poses and some standing hand poses. Some of the latter were insanely hard. I cannot even remotely do the 3rd one in this link: http://www.yoga-poses-and-beyond.com...yogaposes.html.

I noticed that there is a "yoga matrix" feature to this DVD where you can customize a workout and select the poses you like and avoid those you don't. This seems fantastic and I'm going to give it a try.

I have to admit Gigi was right about this DVD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Legs and glutes are very tired after this! I feel like I spent most of the day lunging, balancing, and doing forward bends and backbends. There was a lot of balancing in the P90X DVD as well as the yoga DVD. Mini snapped one pic of me during yoga while calling me an exercise "freak." lol

I think we'll be able to get out tomorrow as we live on a fairly major road that gets plowed quickly. Some people on side roads may be stuck for days. I feel very fortunate that we have not lost power. The snow did knock out our satellite unfortunately. There is some Super Bowl panic ...

Prelim Top Ten:

A friend alerted me that the prelim TT is out: http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenlist.php.

These are my best rankings ever:

50 free, 3rd
    50 back, 2nd
    50 fly, 2nd
    50 breast, 1st
    100 back, 3nd
    100 fly, 4th
    100 IM, 4th

Thank goodness I age up slightly before KPN!

Updated February 11th, 2010 at 08:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020067.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	6334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020076.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	6335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020080.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	6336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020074.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	6337  
  7. Sat Feb 6th 2010

by , February 6th, 2010 at 03:44 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat Feb 6th 2010

NOTE: I changed the link on the south central Zones meet (below) the info is NOW available

Subscribe to this Blog

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    whitney coached
    7:30 to 9:00
    swam with Marcio & Nate
    beside Todd, Chris, Paul, & Jon
    wore speedo brief

1000 warm up

500 done 75 fr 25 bk
    rest 30
    500 done 75 fr 25 bk
    went 5:35ish
    rest 1:00

5 x 200 on 2:40 done 75 fr 25 bk

10 x 100 on 1:30 done 75 fr 25 bk

20 x 50 on 55
    odds fr with 4 breaths
    evens bk 6 or more SDKs fast

2010 MEETS:

Austin Grand Prix
    Count Down

INFO
    Countdown

Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN

Updated February 7th, 2010 at 11:47 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Saturday, 2/6/10

by , February 6th, 2010 at 01:33 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, solo

600 mix strokes
    (did 500 free and back, 50 fly, 50 breast)
    6 x 50 w/10 second rest alt kick/drill by 25
    (did 2x fly-back-free)

2x around (rest 1 min between rounds)
    R1 free, R2 back
    {
    4 x 75 pull, r1 on 1:20, r2 on 1:30
    (free - 58, back - 1:05 )
    4 x 50 kick w/10 seconds rest
    (free w/board - ave 54, back - ave 56)
    4 x 25 FAST on :40
    (free around 15, back around 17)
    }

4 x 25 1 arm fly drill on :40
    4 x 25 fly kick on :40
    4 x 25 fly fast on :40
    (ave 17)

Swim down 6 x 50 choice on :55
    --
    Total: 2700 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. 2/6: Solo workout

by , February 6th, 2010 at 01:07 PM (Random Nonsense)
    And I actually swam this workout. Including arms.

The ribs (or wribs for Speedo) aren't 100%, but they aren't holding me back. The remaining pain is kinda weird. If I run my hand lightly over the area, the feeling in the ribs is like there is a knot of bruising, but to the touch there is no swelling, and I can press around the area looking for points of soreness and there is none. Doesn't hurt to lie down, cough or sneeze anymore.

Which is a good thing, because I had a nasty cold for the last week. The timing worked out well I think, because I felt like I was ready to get back in the pool last weekend, but the extra week of rest was probably wise. And it is not like I missed out on training for anything.

Blah blah blah, here is my workout.

Lifetime SCM
    5x
    -- 200 free #4 2:50, #5 2:45
    -- 200 back
    -- 200 kick with board no fins
    200 back ez

My focus was on kicking the entire workout. Not surprising, my thighs were tired from stationary bike, but had no problem lasting an hour of solid kick. What was surprising is my calves are completely out of swimming shape and several times I was worried they were going to cramp up pushing off of walls. No problems at all during the 200s kick.

My plan is to train middle distance/IM until I leave for Asia the 7th of April. There is a meet in 3 weeks that I will attend, but the pool kinda sucks, and the 200 free is the 2nd to last event this year, so I am really not going to worry about the 200 until next short course season, other than to go fast enough to beat Paul Wolf in Atlanta. I am not sure there is anything I can do now that will help my 200 at Nationals when I am taking a 3 week break from regular training the month before Nationals.

Updated February 6th, 2010 at 05:57 PM by qbrain

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. #1 Back in the Saddle Again ...

by , February 6th, 2010 at 12:08 PM (Catch, Pull, and Glide!)
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, it's back in the pool after a 7-year layoff! From the first Reach - Pull - and Glide off the wall, it's been good to be back Home in the Water, Back in the Saddle Again. The other-world feel of water is transporting. Swimming with the water, not in it, or through it, provides the portal for swimming joy. My first workouts included unbridled 'dolphin laps' - bounding off of the bottom, arcing over the top of the water, and returning 'down under'. It's just fun sometimes to be totally in the water.

From my first 9-month swim ;-) , I, like many of you, have loved the water ... Swim lessons from 5 years old, first meet at 6, trips to the beach ... then in the teens and early twenties ... high school, club, and college swimming ... life guarding, WSI rating and teaching, coaching swimming and diving teams ... Outside the pool, our family and friends were "water people" too. Many of us were life guards, swimmers, canoeists and kayakers ... And the body surfing at Narrangansett when the hurricanes came up off the coast ... weekend drives to swimming holes, riverss and quarries for a cool swim and maybe a crazy cliff jump or two.

It's always been a natural thing to be in the water ... to be one with our Water Planet ... it's like breathing ... the Oneness ...

A look at the early training regimen in the next entry! Peace, and Happy Swimming!
    Tags: home, intro, oneness
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. 16,600 2/4 & 2/5

2/4/10
    1000 wu
    1500 pre-set stuff (can't remember it all)

Main Set:
    6x50 @ :45
    3x100 @ 1:10
    2x150 @ 2:15
    1x300 @ 3:30
    1x300 @ 4:30
    2x150 @ 2:15
    3x100 @ 1:30
    6x50 @ :35
    all the base 1:30/100 yds were "cruise" and all the base 1:10/100 yds were "fast"
    12x25 fly on :30

300 cool down
    total 5500

2/5/2010 AM
    800 alt 50fr/50bk
    600 pull
    4x100 kick @ 1:50

pre set:
    3x50 @ :50 cruise
    3x50 @ 1:00 hold 30's
    3x50 @ 1:00 hold <30's
    50ez

main:
    5x (400 @ 5:00 + 200 @ 2:30)
    i swam with bec and lucas. i made the mistake of trying to keep their pace on the first round and paid dearly for it ... they were flying, and as the caboose, it was all i could do to keep from getting lapped on the 400's.

700 cool down
    total 6000

2/5/2010 PM masters

1000 w/ moon paddles
    5x (50 kick @ :50, 50 fr @ :40)
    500 cruise

pre set:
    100 build
    25 fast
    100 build
    50 fast
    100 build
    75 fast
    50ez

main set: (all at 1:30/100 base)
    100 build - 400 fast
    2x100 bld - 300 fast
    3x100 bld - 200 fast
    4x100 ez - 100 sprint
    felt pretty fatigued.....nothing heroic from yours truly on this set...
    fast ones were: 4:38, 3:30, 2:14, 1:02...

cool down:
    200 fr
    3x100 kick
    100 bk
    total 5100
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Graston

by , February 5th, 2010 at 09:48 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Snow, snow, snow from 10 a.m. and still going on! I'm sorry to say I still had to go to school and did not get released early! Pity Party!!

After school I reported for my 4th chiropractor appt. and Graston Therapy after the adjustment.
    The chiro was okay. I was too tense for her to do the suspended neck crack (from back). She used the thumping thing again.
    After the adjustment I was taken to a private room and was outfitted with a big back heater; I guess to loosen my back up. During this 10 minutes I practiced deep breathing (yoga like) and got myself in a fairly relaxed state of consciousness.
    The therapist came in and told me a little bit about what she was going to do. She warned that I might get some light bruising but that would be due to tissue break-down and it would facilitate healing. (this sounded like a bad idea to me!)
    Anyways....the treatment wasn't bad at all. It hurt a little but in a good way. A bit like itching a big, thick, dry scab.
    I guess I'll go for all 12 treatments since insurance covers it!

Tonight I'm hanging in the house. I'm not sure where I'll swim tomorrow. I'm going to get up early and check websites till I find a place open. I'm not sure what Nasti's are doing yet!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Sprint Day and Breaststroke

by , February 5th, 2010 at 09:08 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    So I took the advise of the fast ginger one and did a good sprint set to work on my 50 FR.
    Then I worked on my 200 BR event by swimming broken 200's...this was tough and I think I'd be better not to do 2 focus sets on the same day again.

Warm Up
    200 Swim snorkel got to get sport tape b/c my snorkel swings about when I swim.
    200 Kick
    200 Pull

10 x 100 FR 3:00 sprint 25 EZ 75 came in about 1:30 on all. Fastest about 1:25 slowest about 1:35.
    50 for time from blocks. I went :29.31 not too bad for that point in the workout.
    50 EZ

12 x 50 BR 1:00 every 4th fast
    9 x 50 BR 1:05 every 3rd fast
    6 x 50 BR 1:10 every 2nd fast
    4 x 50 BR 1:15 fast
    This set was tough and took a bit of self will to persevere through the first 12 50's. I need to swim the fast 50's faster but that's why I won't back it on after a sprint set again.

250 EZ to cool
    3500 yards in 90mins

Did about 35 minutes of weights after wards. My legs still felt the run from yesterday but not quite last last week. I feel good this week!

"Atlanta!"

Updated February 5th, 2010 at 09:17 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. FAST Fri Feb 5th 2010 DOUBLE

by , February 5th, 2010 at 04:50 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    DOUBLE Fri Feb 5th 2010

Subscribe to this Blog

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    TODD coached filling in for Tyler
    NOON to 1:15 dove in at 12:10
    swam with Brad, Jon, Larry, Neil Randall, James Fike, Desiree
    wore B70 legs

500 warm up

100 FR FAST
    went 56

10 x 100 FR FAST on 2:15
    hold 5 sec, from a dive
    went 55's & 6's

100 FR FAST
    went 50 low

50 easy

25 SDK
    todd timed
    from a roll start
    went 10.0

25 easy

2010 MEETS:

Austin Grand Prix
    Count Down

Countdown

Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN

Updated February 6th, 2010 at 03:32 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Snowmageddon, Friday, Feb. 5

by , February 5th, 2010 at 03:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    The weather forecast is for 2-3 feet of snow between now and tomorrow night! I can't really remember a storm of that magnitude ... perhaps one about 12 -14 years ago. I slept in this morning and headed to the pool around 11:00. And not a minute too late. I was just finishing my workout when they closed the pool. After the thrashing of the legs the last week or so (10,000+ yards in 8 days), I had a recovery/drill type workout planned. I actually felt pretty refreshed afterward, and was glad I didn't attempt any heavy duty aerobic work. I kinda doubt I'll be able to swim this weekend with the predicted weather.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Drill Set #1:

2 x 150 fly drills
    (50 caterpillar, 50 chest press, 50 single arm)

4 x 100 single arm fly @ 1:45

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = Geek's human paddle drill using an underwater freestyle recovery -- I liked this drill, good for correcting my tendency to overreach with my left arm among other things.
    evens = PLD breast

50 EZ

Speed Set:

8 x (25 AFAP free w/fins + 50 EZ)

Definitely felt a bit slower than usual on these, but glad I did them.

100 EZ

Drill Set #2:

10 x 50 @ 1:10
    odds = evil pull w/pull buoy
    odds = evil kick

5 x 1:00 minute vertical kicking, continuous
    dolphin-evil-dolphin-evil-dolphin

100 EZ

Pool Closed!

Total: 3250 + VK

P90X Yoga:

My kids are all playing in the snow or otherwise busy, so I'm going to plug in my P90X 90 minute yoga DVD. This video is power-ashtanga type yoga. I think I've been feeling more supple and less sore since I increased the yoga. Or, I guess it could be the lack of heavy weights. I don't think I recall Tony Horton being lycra clad in this DVD, so it probably wouldn't offend Stud. I can foresee the possibility that I may become somewhat addicted to yoga. It'll be interesting to compare my SCY times with heavy lifting (last season) with my SCY times with yoga/plyos/light weights (this season). I don't seem to be swimming any slower in practice. But I suppose it could make a difference in my 50 speed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Glad I got in a recovery workout before the big dump. It was just what I needed.

Ran across an interesting article in the NYT on ideal weight for athletes: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/fa...d=1&ref=health

On the gluten front, it seems to have made a huge difference to cut out gluten. My symptoms have abated substantially and I don't have that horrible bloated feeling anymore. It feels and looks like I've lost 5 pounds. Probably not, but it's still nice. I just made myself a very tasty brown rice quesadilla with lactose free cheese, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Nummy!

Updated February 5th, 2010 at 11:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  16. Friday, 2/5/10

by , February 5th, 2010 at 01:47 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, solo

700 swim free
    600 swim back

5 x 100 IM on 2:00: build to a fast finish on the freestyle

200 easy choice

swim 4 x 25 choice FAST off blocks on 2:00-3:00
    [went back (17?), free (13), fly (15), free (13)]

pull 6 x 50 back on 1:00 nice and smooth
    (buoy only, averaged 45 on these)

kick 8 x 25 on 40 w/MF, evens fast
    (was going around 13 on the fast ones 15-16 on the others)

100 easy swim down
    --
    Total: 2800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. FAST Fri Feb 5th 2010

by , February 5th, 2010 at 12:50 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri Feb 5th 2010

Subscribe to this Blog

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    Whitney coached
    5:30 - 6:30
    swam with Tyler, Todd, Marcio, & Doug
    beside Max, Mark, Nate, & a triathlete
    dove in at 5:35
    wore B70 full

100 FR FAST
    went 54

10 x 100 FR FAST on 2:00
    hold 7 sec, from a dive
    went 56's & 7's

100 FR FAST
    went 51

50 easy

2010 MEETS:

Austin Grand Prix
    Count Down

Countdown

Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Hope I get to race!

by , February 5th, 2010 at 12:47 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Well, the meet is just a week away and I'm looking forward to it. Don't think I'll be swimming any spectactular times as I'll probably do a ton of events to support the team. In any case, it will be fun and good practice for swimming in my B-70.

I'm all set to go, but now I hear that there is a strong possibility that there may be a winter storm in the Deep South at the end of next week. I hope the meet won't be called off. Even as far South as Auburn, things can get bad and it would put a damper on those traveling to the meet. I'll keep my fingers crossed! It has been over 8 months since I have done a meet. I sure don't want it to be nearly a year when I get to Nationals this year.

Had a decent swim yesterday. Workout is as follows:

Warm-up: Reverse 400 I.M. (one-arm on fly)

4 x 100 free on 1:45

200 I.M drill

100 free drill

50 AFAP fly

200 easy

50 AFAP back

200 easy

200 free (50 easy/50 hard/50 easy/50 hard)

200 warm-down

2000 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -02/08/10

by , February 5th, 2010 at 12:31 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:40
    1 X 400 6:00
    3 X 100 1:40
    1 X 300 -

1 X 200 kick 4:30
    2 X 100 kick 2:15
    4 X 50 kick 1:10

8 X 25 kick*fast, no board* :40

8 X 50*2 of each stroke* 1:05
    4 X 100 IM 1:45
    1 X 200 IM -

4 X 100 1:30
    8 X 50 :45
    3 X 100 1:20
    6 X 50 :40 or :35

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5000Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -02/06/10

by , February 5th, 2010 at 12:27 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    2 X 200 3:20
    4 X 100 1:40
    8 X 50 :50
    16 X 25 :30

1 X 200 kick 4:30
    8 X 50 kick*25 fast/25 easy* 1:15

1 X 125 moderate 2:05
    1 X 75 fast 1:15
    1 X 50 easy 1:45
    Four times through.