View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -01/07/10 -SCY

by , January 6th, 2010 at 03:56 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

WARM UP:
    4 X 150 2:45
    4 X 100 1:45
    8 X 50 1:00
    Descend 50's 1-4/5-8

4 X 100 kick 2:20
    8 X 50 kick 1:10
    50's: 25 fast/25 easy

SCY

1 X 200 IM-transition swim

4 X 50 1:05
    1 X 100 easy free 2:00
    Three rounds.
    Round 1: 50's/fly
    Round 2: back
    Round 3: breast

2 X 100 moderate 1:45
    1 X 50 @100% 1:15
    1 X 100 easy 1:45
    2 X 50 @ 100% 1:15
    Three times through.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4850Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. DOUBLE Wednesday Jan 6th aka baby baby where did my speed go

by , January 6th, 2010 at 03:54 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wednesday Jan 6th 2010

weighed 224 after practice

I'll be in Nashville Sat Jan 9th - Wed Jan 13th
    Made arrangements to train with NAC

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy
    Mary coached
    Noon to 1:15
    swam with Jon, Max, Larry & James Fike
    arrived on time

went in with the idea to do some lactate stuff today

this morning was stations,
    pulleys,
    vertical kick,
    fast 50 fast 100,
    800 pull,
    800 IM

but she erased the fast 50 fast 100 from the board for the noon group

wore legskins

warm up

main set
    assigned 800
    did 8 x 50, 12.5 fast SDK 37.5 easy

100 fr easy speed
    went 56

200 easy

100 fr easy speed
    went 54

100 k
    felt terrible died went 1:07
    legs totally petered out

200 easy

50 flutter k
    went 29.7

100 easy

2010 MEETS:

January 15 – 18, 2010
    2010 ST TXLA New Years Classic
    Austin, TX

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down

April 9 -11
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. 1/6: Bike

by , January 6th, 2010 at 02:58 PM (Random Nonsense)
    AM

60 minutes on the stationary bike.

Taking a break from the bike this evening.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Maybe I should move to the country and manage a petting zoo

Yesterday I drove up to Alabama for lunch with my mom and aunt. It’s a pretty drive, past lots of farms, without much traffic—between towns I saw maybe one other car every couple minutes or so. Two of the little towns I pass though on the way to visit my folks are Ebro, famous locally for its dog track, and Vernon, which was featured in the documentary “Vernon, Florida” by Errol Morris . Between towns, I saw lots of little goats and calves, and the farm that a decade ago had emus now seems to be heavily invested in miniature horses. I wanted to bring home some of all of the above, or at least stop and pet them.

Actually, there used to be a menagerie just a few miles down the road from where I’m staying. It was called Patrones, and had goats and peacocks and bunny rabbits and one truly ginormous hog. You couldn’t pet the animals—they were shy—but for 50 cents you could buy a bag of popcorn to feed them. Admission was free—you could just walk in and wander about. It seemed like something straight out of Flannery O’Connor. I did worry about the pig’s quality of life. As far as I could tell it spent its days lying on its side and being scaled by the goats, who loved standing atop it.

After my four hours of driving to Alabama and back and a lunch of fried chicken, fried okra, and fried cornbread, I felt like I was beginning to turn into that hog. I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t kidnap any little goats to bring home with me. In any case, I was super ready for a workout. I made it back in time for the masters group’s evening workout at 5:30. Here’s what I did::

600 scy warmup

8 x 50 (25 build, 25 easy) @ :55

8 x 100 kick w/ fins @ 1:45, desc. 1-4 and 5-8 [1:24, 1:20, 1:14, 1:11, 1:30, 1:20, 1:17, 1:12]

4 x 200 pull @ 3:00 [2:45, 2:45, 2:40, 2:42]

2 x 400, 1st FR, 2nd IM, build both 400s by 100s

2 x 50 sprint FR [?, 30.6]

200 warmdown

The air temp tonight was about 40 when we got in, and about 35 when we got out (steam rose off everyone’s body when they exited the pool), but the water temp was fine. It was fun swimming in the cold, and really great seeing the pool absolutely filled with swimmers on such a chilly evening. Between the kids team and masters and the visiting college team, all 20 lanes were filled.

When they first built this pool (about 4 years ago), I couldn’t believe they would really keep it open year round. This is an area without a deep competitive swimming tradition, and during the first winter I often found myself swimming all alone by or with just one other swimmer. Locals thought I was absolutely nuts for swimming outdoors in the winter, even when it was just in the 50s and sunny. So kudos to Panama City Beach for building this great facility and making it successful! All I could think when I saw the pool full of happy swimmers tonight was that Field of Dreams got it right—If you build it, they will come!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Wednesday Jan 6th 2010

by , January 6th, 2010 at 11:27 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wednesday Jan 6th 2010

Today I missed seeing Coach Whitney fall in the pool Took wife to airport, missed the 1st hr

added count downs for 3 meets I plan to swim (below)

recently did my online 2010 USMS Registration
    Don't have a team?
    Register with Longhorn Masters, TXLA

Subscribe to this Blog

I'll be in Nashville Sat Jan 9th - Wed Jan 13th
    Made arrangements to train with NAC

weights at world gym

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy
    Whitney coached
    6:30 to 8:00
    swam beside todd, mike marcio and ned
    missed Nate who walked out just as I arrived
    arrived at 7:25

warm up
    missed it
    did around 500 when I finally arrived

main set
    today's work out was stations
    one of the stations was
    50 FAST for time
    100 FAST for time

so I put on legskins and did

50 fly 24.1
    whitney timed
    roll

200 easy rest 5 minutes

100 fr 51.2
    whitney timed
    roll

50 easy

thinking about coming back for more
    might do 4 or 5 fast 100's for time

2010 MEETS:

January 15 – 18, 2010
    Austin, TX

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down

April 9 -11
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Keepin it long and loose

by , January 6th, 2010 at 07:40 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    It has been soooooo cold here in the south and today I even forgot to call my son to wake him up. But luckly he woke on his own.

10x100@2:00 Free 1/2 pull 1/2 kick

500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd fly
    5x100@1:30 Free kick w/fins made it with 5 seconds to spare
    had to change fins due to a cut on my toe

100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    200@3:00 Free w/paddles & bouy
    300@4:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    400@6:00 Free w/paddles & bouy

20x25@:40 Fly drills w/fins alternate 6kick/stroke, skull drill
    500 Free easy

Total 4000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Lower back issues

by , January 5th, 2010 at 11:56 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Problem in lower back on left side kicked up again so back to chiro tomorrow to "work it out." I may have to figure out what it is that keeps aggravating it. I suppose it could be anything. We just got a new puppy and have babygates all over the house. I almost wonder if all the stepping over the gates is aggravating it.

I've had problems with this area on and off for 7 years - same side, same place. Part of the reason is stiffness in the sacroiliac region as well as a slight leg length difference ( left leg is slightly longer than right leg).

Long-axis strokes, especially freestyle really seems to aggravate it, so I may be doing a bunch of one arm fly and kicking in my workouts until this thing goes away. Funny what areas become problem area as we get older. Looks like this one will be something I'll be dealing with for the rest of my life.

Knock on wood, don't seem to have any shoulder problems. I consider this a blessing given the mega fly yardage in college.
    Every now and then, the knees get a little stiff. My sis (a PA) says that this is slight arthritis and should be expected at my age. Knees aren't sore anymore, so if I don't go back to jumping when I jump rope, I'll at least run.

My try to zero in on another yoga class. This seems to keep the problem in my lower back from coming up when I have done it.

Had a good workout today:

Warm-up: 200 easy swim
    200 kick with fins: alternate 50 back dolphin with 50 free kick on side

Distance set:

500 on 7:30
    400 on 6:00
    300 on 4:30
    200 on 3:00
    100 on 1:30

Sprint set:

24 x 75 on 1:30

I did the set as 8 sets of 75 fly, 75 back, and 75 free. On fly, I did the first 25, 3 rt./3 lt.

100 easy

3 x 200 kick with fins on 3:00 - 50 fr kick/100 dolphin/50 fr kick

400 fly drill/swim as follows:
    100 drill
    25 swim
    75 drill
    50 swim
    50 drill
    75 swim (did 3 rt/3 lt/ 3 full
    25 drill

100 easy

4900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Back In The Pool

by , January 5th, 2010 at 11:38 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    1/5/10

SCY, Solo
    The city pool opened yesterday after being closed since the 1st week in December. It was nice to swim in a full length pool again.

400 Reverse IM alt. kick/swim by 25
    200 pull choice
    200 IM drill

swim 200 free on 3:20
    swim 3x75 fl/bk/br by 25 on 1:30
    swim 3x75 fr/fl/bk by 25 on 1:30
    swim 3x75 br/fr/fl by 25 on 1:30
    swim 3x75 bk/br/fr by 25 on 1:30

swim the 200s nice and smooth; descend the 75s 1-3; #3 should be a pretty hard effort

swim 12x25 choice on 30, #3, 5, 8 fast
    --
    Total: 2800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Task Master's Tasks

by , January 5th, 2010 at 11:33 PM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    Why are there 300 views of my tee shirt post????

The second notice to the team was sent out Monday requesting volunteers. As predicted, there was minimal response. Five team members in all responded, and only 3 of 21 timer slots are filled. A sixth person, a friend of someone on the team, volunteered to be the the third timer. Imagine that. The other volunteers want to take the fun jobs at the awards and check-in tables. My next request will also emphasize that spouses and family members are welcome to volunteer, too. (then aunts and uncles, then pets and neighbors . . .)

The first time swimmer souvenirs were ordered from Oriental Trading today: 2 dozen tropical hibiscus baseball caps to go with the 1 dozen we have left over from prior meets. Two dozen maracas pens were ordered as Coconut Relay awards. Total cost was a whopping $50.

The ribbon awards were ordered from Hasty Awards. I really like their service and willingness to work with us, and they have always been true to their committments. We paid for a custom graphic setup on the ribbons at the first meet. Since it is on file, orders in subsequent years do not have that surcharge.

What's interesting is that the number of first place awards has been relatively constant over the years. But, the more swimmers we have at the meet, the more second and especially third place awards we need. During our first meet, we ran out of second place ribbons. We ordered a few more and mailed them out to everyone after the meet, whether requested or not. That mistake (OK it was my bad planning) cut our profits a bit.

The ribbon awards order cost about $105 this year - 150 first place, 75 second place, and 75 third place ribbons. These supplement those we already have, and also represent a number larger than we expect to use, just to be on the safe side. Last year for 165 swimmers, we had 230 firsts, 128 seconds, and 70 thirds. Of course, not everyone picks up their awards - usually about 75% do.

Following J-Rod's advice during the first meet, (our unofficial 'LMSC advisor'), we left the date off the ribbons to ensure that we can use the extras in future meets. That was a good decision. Maybe all clubs hosting a meet for the first time should have a LMSC mentor/advisor assigned. He kept us out of trouble on a few other incidents, too.

20 entries to date.

BOOK OF WISDOM
    Never run out of beer; or ribbons.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. The Importance of Being Earnest

by , January 5th, 2010 at 11:14 PM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    Chicken O'C rides again!!!!

I was lucky enough to land a spot in the 2010 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim (www.nycswim.org).

This year I'll be raising money for the American Macular Degeneration Foundation (www.macular.org), an organisation that raises awareness and supports research into the disease that took my grandfather's eyesight and, only a few months ago, a great deal of my mother's.

I won't start begging for donations until about April, but in the meantime my training has begun in earnest. Poor Earnest.

Not one to suffer alone, I plan to document my entire training process in painfully boring detail on this blog, including sudoku breaks, cups of coffee consumed, and visits to the loo.

Youtube provided my inspiration tonight, and I'd like to share the motivational interlude I found. This is how three nautical chappies see New York in just one day.

I hope I can also see New York in just one day on June 12th!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v7QfCxuvLo"]YouTube- Gene Kelly Frank Sinatra - "New York, New York"[/ame]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. 1/5: I'm a genius

by , January 5th, 2010 at 09:02 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Yesterday's swim pretty much undid all my rib healing.*

Here is my new goal, not to swim until all the skin I scrapped off my elbow injuring my rib heals. It would make sense that it takes at least as long for skin to heal as ribs right? I will probably still kick.

Walked the dogs and road the bike for 40 minutes. I am going to run out of magazines soon.

* A little overly dramatic. The ribs hurt much worse than they did Monday before swimming, but not much additional movement induced pain, if that makes sense. I think the muscular bruising is still on track, but I jarred loose any of the bone cartilage healing. Of course, I also don't know enough not to swim long enough to get better, so my diagnosis is not worth much.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. New Year, New Goals?

by , January 5th, 2010 at 07:12 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I guess I should sit down and come up with some goals for the new year.

But before I do maybe a short recap of last year would be in order.

I was still able to swim a few personal bests though not as many as in previous years. These were as follows:

SCY
    50 Fly - Tie with previous best.
    200 Back - An event I just started competing in with my first race at this distance being in November 2008.

LCM
    50 Free - Bettered my previous best for this distance by 0.60 sec.
    200 Free - A race that I had never done in this course and only swam it once this past year. My time converts to nearly the same as what I had swam for a 200 SCY in 2006, the last time I swam this distance in a meet.

50 Back - Bettered my previous best for this distance by 0.57 sec.

Goals for 2010
    I'm not going to set specific time goals for this year. If I swim a PB I'll be very pleased but am going into this year with no time expectations. What I do want to do is add a new event or 2.

So with that in mind, I'm going to focus on 2 new distances, the 200 Free and the 100 Fly.
    I also want to do more open water swimming. With respect to that goal I began the New Year by swimming the Ft. Lauderdale Rough Water Swim on January 2nd. It was an ocean swim, my first ever and I finished 2nd in my age group (55-59) and was also 2nd of all men over 50.

So the new year is off to a good start, though I've yet to do a pool workout. I hope to get that in tonight.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Tuesday Dryland

by , January 5th, 2010 at 06:29 PM (My Passion)
    Was suppossed to meet workout buddy for the stairmill this morning. I was read to go at 5:10 am - she was nowhere in sight. I set the mill at level 7 for 35 minutes to give her a chance to get there. She never showed.

Stairmill felt good at level 7. Not near the fatigue I felt last week. After the stairmill and a cooldown on it at level 1, I did the ARC for 20 minutes, then got a real good stretch in for another 20 minutes.

Good workout and felt good all day. Buddy emailed me that she slept through her alarm today. That is always a hazard with these very early morning workouts. We are back on again for Thursday. Swimming tomorrow.

Happy Swimming
  14. Death by Tabata + Tall Paul Sets, Tues., Jan. 5

by , January 5th, 2010 at 06:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

1. Warm up:

1 x 25 broomstick twists

3 x through:

100 bicycles
    100 jump ropes
    alternating hammers, 15 x 3 x 15, each arm
    3 position arm extensions (15 reps each position)

10 minutes stretching

2. Core:

reverse lunges w/straight arm twist w/15 lb DB, 2 x 15 (this was from my "crazy core" link -- http://www.ab-core-and-stomach-exerc...-workouts.html)
    straight leg raises in captain's chair (forgot ab slings), 2 x 25
    squat swing w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    russian twist on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
    snatch windmill, 15 x 2 x 15
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    push ups, 2 x 25
    internal & external rotators

3. Cross Fit WOD (Workout of the Day): "Swimming Tabata Death"

5 rounds of 5 exercises done tabata style (20 seconds @ 100% + 20 seconds rest). Rest until heart rate returns to normal between rounds. I stretched between rounds.

1. med ball slams
    2. jump rope
    3. crunches
    4. lateral bench hops*
    5. row**

* I substituted these for push ups. That many fast push ups is contra-indicated for my shoulders.

** I did this on the seated rowing machine with the weight set at 60 pounds. It was like explosive lifting.

The original tabata protocol involves the following:

•5 minutes of warm-up
    •8 intervals of 20 seconds all-out intensity exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest
    •2 minutes cool-down

http://www.tabataprotocol.com

This would be very inadequate warm up for me. Though perhaps I should have done the WOD prior to my core work today ...

Commentary: As Geek would say, this WOD was a mother scratcher. Every exercise was hard, but the lateral bench hops were the worst. My legs were burning. Jump roping is an absolutely fantastic tabata exercise. You don't have to worry about form degradation the way you have to with other exercises. For exercise #1, I was getting about 25 slams per 20 seconds. For exercise #3, I was doing 23-24 crunches per 20 seconds. For exercise #4, I was getting in 30-35 hops on the first 3 rounds and then went down to about 25.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

For today's PM swim, I stole one of Tall Paul's recent workouts. It was a good one too. I modified it to do main set #1 as kick instead of swim.

Warm up:

600 variety

TP Main Set #1:

4 x through:

1 x 200 dolphin kick w/MF & board @ 3:15 descend
    1 x 100 dolphin kick on back w/MF @ 2:00 ascend

50 EZ

I ended at 2:11 on the board kicks (#4 = pain) and started with :55 on the 100s (forgot Fortina).

TP Main Set #2:

6 x through:

1 x 100 back w/fins @ 2:00
    1 x 50 evil w/fins @ 1:00

I ended at :55 on the 100 backs (dead legs and a cramp) and started at :33 on the 50 evils.

100 EZ

Mini Speed Set:

3 x (4 x 25 AFAP + 25 EZ)
    AFAPs = free & fast doggy paddle drill

100 EZ

Total: 3350

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Nuthin to say except that I am absolutely dead and, as my daughter would say, "can't move my legs." I think I will slather them in Traumeel tonight and take some ibuprofen. Or liberally use my new Stick. http://www.performbetter.com/detail....tegoryID_E_201

Tomorrow is definitely a recovery day. Then, on Thursday, I'll do Geek's lactate set with Speedo. I miss all the sleep I was getting over the long holiday break. Quality sleep makes such a difference!

P.S. I am completely pissed off that licorice, my fav treat, is not gluten free.

Running Shoes Bad?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=10618479

Updated January 5th, 2010 at 10:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  15. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -01/06/10 -SCY

by , January 5th, 2010 at 05:12 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    2 X 100 free 1:40
    2 X 100 kick 2:10
    2 X 100 stroke 2:00
    Three times through.
    Round 1: stroke is back
    Round 2: breast
    Round 3: fly or fly/free

2 X 100 50 stroke/50 free 2:00
    1 X 50 stroke/build 1:15
    1 X 50 stroke/fast 1:30
    Swim it three times.
    Round 1: fly
    Round 2: back
    Round 3: breast

3 X 100 free moderate 1:30
    1 X 100 free/build to fast 1:45
    1 X 100 free/fast 2:00
    Three times through.

12 X 25 :40
    Sprint 20/no breath

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4700Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Tuesday Jan 5th 2010

by , January 5th, 2010 at 12:16 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tuesday Jan 5th 2010

added count downs for 3 of the meets I plan to swim (below)

recently did my online 2010 USMS Registration
    Don't have a team?
    Register with Longhorn Masters, TXLA

Subscribe to this Blog

I'll be in Nashville Sat jan 9th - Wed Jan 13th

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy
    Whitney coached
    6:30 to 8:00
    swam with brandon, a guest & paul
    beside nate, todd, tyler, ned, marcio, amy, larry & mike

wore briefs

warm up
    300 fr
    100 fl k r l sw
    300 fr
    100 bk k r l sw
    300 k
    100 br k r l sw

main set

10 x 100 fr on 1:20
    4 aerobic 1 strong
    rest 1:00

12 x 75 br on 1:15
    3 aerobic 1 strong
    went 55

16 x 50 bk on :50
    3 aerobic 1 strong
    went 28's & 9's

assigned 28 x 25 fl on 30 3 aerobic 1 strong
    did: each round
    3 easy 1 arm dril
    1 fast with 8 or more SDKs

100 easy

2010 MEETS:

January 15 – 18, 2010
    Austin, TX

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down

April 9 -11
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN

Updated January 5th, 2010 at 02:17 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Back to back to back

by , January 5th, 2010 at 07:21 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Wanted to work on my backstroke and it felt great!

100,200,300,400@:15R Free
    5x100@1:45 Back w/fins kick drills, fashion model, arms perpendicular, partial recovery, flat back kick
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd fast
    5x100@2:00 Back w/paddles as 25 rt arm/25 lt arm/50 full stroke
    5x100@1:40 w/paddles as 50 free/50 back went 1:27, 1:25, 1:24, 1:24, 1:25 awesome speed here this usually rivals my 100 free times with paddles at a moderate speed
    300 back w/fins easy
    300 free kick on side w/fins moderately hard
    200 free easy

Total 3800 yards

wanted to beat the kids to the showers this morning otherwise I would have done the extra 200 to make 4000.

Updated January 5th, 2010 at 10:08 AM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. 1/4/09--Left me breathless...

by , January 4th, 2010 at 09:23 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    As you may have read in my previous posting, I am focusing on kicking a bit more this year...seeing what I can get in return.

Wore briefs and a drag suit today...sorry ladies not the flag, or the itty-bitty ones...

5 x 100 Swim to warm up...

10 x 50 K 2:00 fast kick. I came in on about :55 on #1, held average of ~1:00 over the set. made sure I got the final 2 in under 1:00. I enjoyed the set in a perverse sadist fashion...my legs feel quite tired now...

Put on my fins and went onto a long drill set, trying to really work my weaker side and punch my hips around on the rotation.
    4 x 50 each
    Side kick
    1 arm free
    6 kick switch
    3 n glide
    Catch up

Removed the fins and did some hypoxic/breath pattern work. I'm trying to get over the emotional impulse to breathe in a 50, and since there's no "nicoderm" patch for breathing, I'm going to have to learn to cut back and then quit...not sure cold turkey is a realistic option right now and could be detrimental to my overall constitution.
    4 x 50 FR 1:00 3 breaths. did 3, 3, 4, 3.
    Was pissed off that I went 4 breaths on #3 but stoked that I got myself in order to get back to 3 on #4. Try to grab 'em all next time, right?
    8 x 25 FR 1:00 no breath. Fairly straight forward on paper, but as a second tier of the hypoxic layer cake it was not so easy to digest.

After this I donned the blue rubber KPN-esque elf fins and did a 500 FR kick. Actually did 5 x 100 on a about :15 RI, made a good steady kick and tried to focus the kick up.

To cool things off I did 6 x 50 nice and EZ but still was going on a bout a minute and trying to glide out as much as I could on each stroke without making it a drill...I'm working of dkeeping my left arm in line with the shoulder and going over the barrel to EVF and punching round on the rotation...I hope it will lead to great rewards.

As usual, I went into the gym for some lifting after my swim, and nearly fell over at he sight of a vast multitude of resolutioners daring to use the gym. I don't mind if they are working out, but a 3 minute chat between sets while not alighting from the nautilus machine will not help you "get fit in 2010." Stand by for a report on what happens when I am undoubtedly compelled to point out this behaviour to some unwitting offender soon...still got a good 40 mins in by thinking creatively and randomizing my order or exercises.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Swim, Monday, Jan. 4

by , January 4th, 2010 at 09:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

650 variety

Aerobic Set:

5 x 200 FRIMs @ 3:00
    FRIMs = free IM done as free/fly+free/back+free/breast+free/free

50 EZ

Drill Set:

5 x through:

100 breast PLD w/fins @ 2:00
    50 breast pull w/pullbuoy

I like these drills, but my L (lunge) and D (dolphin) seem awfully close together timing wise.

50 EZ

Kick Sets:

Chris S.'s Mini Backstroke Kick Mountain, no fins:

1 x 25 @ :30
    1 x 50 @ 1:00
    1 x 75 @ 1:30
    1 x 100 @ 2:00
    1 x 75 @ 1:30
    1 x 50 @ 1:00
    1 x 25 @ :30

12 SDKs per 25 -- I should have done more SDKs, but my breathing is somewhat impaired by food and xmas tree allergies.

Ideally, I would have liked to do 2 rounds of this set, but I didn't have sufficient time today. I had plenty of rest, which was welcome with the hypoxic work. I might bump the intervals down by :05 next time I do this set.

Speed set:

10 x 50 dolphin kick on back w/MF-Dolphina @ 1:00, strong effort

Went: 25, 25, 25, 24, 24, 24, 24, 23, 23, 22.5

200 EZ

Total: 3600

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Not sure if it was the crappy night's sleep on the coach last night or yesterday's somewhat intense drylands, but I was beat today and felt really crappy during warm up and the first set. Finally started to find a cruiser pace on the evil drill set. My shoulders and arms were quite sore and tired, and I didn't even think I did that much upper body work yesterday. Hmmm ...

I can't decide what to do tomorrow: gym/swim or yoga/swim or gym/yoga. I was going to check out the Reston Bikram yoga place to compare it to Falls Church. I still feel like I need to get some yoga in b/c it's a ton of stretching, and I'm awful about doing it on my own at night.

Meets:

I'm thinking I may cruise in late to the Tropical Splash on Jan 31. Have to check my kid schedule. The 100 IM and 50 free are toward the end of the meet. I didn't swim those events at the Sprint Classic. And, I guess it's possible the tech suits may still be legal then if FINA uses a grace period and/or USMS hasn't issued a ruling yet on SCY. I would have loved to do the 100 back, but it's way too early in the am for me. (And, on the other hand, manual timing means slippery backstroke starts.)

Suits:

I was checking out the newest generation of suits. It's hard to believe the Speedo LZR Elite kneeskin is $375. It can't be that different than the regular Pro ... Here's the new B70: http://www.blueseventy.com/nerotx. If/when our current suits are banned, I'm going to stick with B70.

Miscellaneous Questions:

1. Anyone have any tips for teaching 10 & unders flip turns?

2. Anyone have any backpack recommendations? I've had two TYR backpacks recently and they have both torn across the front near the zipper area. I've lost a pair of goggles and a shirt from falling out the top.

3. Anyone else a Lactard?

Is anyone else a lactard with a lactose allergy or lactose intolerance? If so, have you tried lactate tablets and do they help the symptoms and allow you to eat some dairy? I have surveyed some friends and done some internet research and it seems to vary depending on whether you have an allergy (don't work) or an intolerance (may work, especially wrt cheese). I'm not sure whether I have an intolerance or an allergy.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=43471
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-allergy/AN01109

My symptoms are all similar and/or overlapping with my gluten problems. (Which suck -- I was tempted to rip my daughter's tasty Whole Foods burrito out of her hands today and dreamt of bagels and bread last night while I tossed and turned.)

4. I've been enjoying not doing heavy weights. But does anyone think it's good to cycle a period of mostly body weight/plyo/core (my current regimen) with a cycle of heavier weights, say from season to season?

5. Random. I saw "Up in the Air" with George Clooney Saturday night, and there was a brief scene with him swimming. He had a terrible catch with his left hand, and this reduced his hotness factor somewhat. lol

Updated January 5th, 2010 at 06:10 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Ice and Florida don't mix

The same cold weather that is slamming the rest of the country is also reaching down to chill the Florida panhandle. This morning the air temp was in the high 20s. I watched the sprinkler system at the building where I’m staying come on as usual at 6:30—the water it sprayed on the lawn and the shrubbery and on the boardwalk that leads to the beach quickly turned to ice. The same thing happened to some of the roads that are routinely watered by nearby sprinkler systems. I drove carefully.

I didn’t go to the pool for early lap swim, but it turned out they were open from 6-9 am as usual—it must have been pretty chilly for the swimmers and guards. The word is they will not be open tomorrow morning, so I think I’ll try the evening masters practice.

This afternoon I swam the following scy workout solo:

1000 warmup

5 x 200 @ 3:15, odds FR, evens IM [My goal was to bring in the FRs under 2:40 and the IMs under 3:00, and I did this]

12 x 50 K @ 1:05, odds FR, evens ST (FL, BK, BR, BR, BK, FL)

400 Pull, 1st 100 w/ paddles, 2nd 100 w/ right paddle only, 3rd 100 w/ left paddle only, 4th 100 w/ both paddles [I was experimenting with my stroke symmetry here]

100 Kick w/ fins

8 x 25 swim w/ fins, odds sprint, evens easy

200 warmdown

I’m thinking of entering the Aquafit meet on 1/24. I need to decide in the next few days. I’m training for the one-hour swim on the 31st, so it might make sense to do a 500 FR as well while I’m in relatively good shape. The 500 is an event that deserves to be swum once a decade, and I’m due.
    Categories
    Uncategorized