View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Big Fortress, Medium Sized Fortress, Baby Fortress, and Me

by , May 18th, 2009 at 04:59 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    A bit embarrassing to admit, but I was so sore this morning, so close to being unable to move at all, that I was almost unable to perform the sort of bathroom-associated physical action that can require a nursing home attendant in people so afflicted, particularly if it goes on long enough.

Nuff said about that, however, I must say the combined impact of SDK practice, weight lifting, and tennis--all (save for the latter recreation) performed in an effort to make myself more like my betters, Jazz Hands, Leslie the Fortress Livingston, Christ Stevenson, etc. ad nauseam et infinitum--has left me just about as decrepit and strong as I have been in years.

Question: Does there come a time when rebuilding the human body to make it stronger actually results in a human body that is NOT quite so racked with aches, pains, and immobility upon first awakening?

Lordy, you should see me feed the dogs in the morning.

I need to purchase a geriatric patient hoist to get me down on the ground to pick up their food bowls, back up into the air as high as the countertop to open the food and place this in their bowls, then back again.

I am really digressing here. Forgive me.

"Attendant! Help me! I have fallen down and can't get up!"

Anyhow, before leaving for tonight's practice, I would like to make several pleas to my fellow swimmers and readers of this vlog:

1) If you have an interest in weight lifting and its effects on swimming performance, and you have not yet read and posted a comment on my blog on this topic, I ernestly entreat you to do so. http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=3294

My theory is that if you are a religious musclehead, devoted and devout to the gods of gravity and supplication and lifting up and down to His service, then you require no evidence that this is doing you any good; you simply take it on Faith that it is. And I don't mean to be incendiary here, or pointlessly controversial, but my own God is Mr. Scientific Method Man himself, and I am having trouble finding in His commandments for Masters Swimmers anything about weight lifting as a route to salvatation, can I hear a Praise Science, brothers and sisters?

Anyhow, if you haven't checked this one out, please do and leave a comment or as many comments as you want.

2) Another vlog which I hope I can entice a few more of you to watch is my cure for Swimmer's Thumb. I do think this could help a lot of people suffering this embarrassing disorder. But the paucity of viewership makes me think that the topic is promoting an unnecessary level of squeamishness amongst my fellow swimmers, as if visiting a site about Swimmer's Thumb might somehow alert the world to your own suffering of this condition. Do not worry. My film is dedicated to helping destigmatize this very common if disfiguring and revolting condition. Please consider watching, rewatching, and forwarding to your friends with Swimmers Thumb or any form of fungal infection on any form of protuberant extremity: http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=3270

3) Finally, I would like to present one more film from the recent Colony Zones competition. At the completion of the meet, fresh from setting a new record in the 400 IM in the geriatric men's category in which I am squarely ensconced as a Zonesman, I returned happy and tired to the Compound I share with Leslie, her family, and a small pony head that's filed away in a closet in the rumpus room.

Leslie's lovely older daughter, MiniFort, asked me how I had done. I told her I'd set the record in the 400 IM. She said she'd swum it in "crap meets."

The film represents a re-enactment of our conversation--and proof positive that no matter how much weightlifting I do for the rest of my life, I may be a Zonesman, but I shall never be a He-Fortress.

Note: Movie showing reenactment of MiniFort and BabyFort's reaction to my 400 I.M. has been removed in a kind of pre-emptive Amber Alert way.

For all potential perverts out there, the actresses who played the characters in this movie are both over 35 and know karate, with particular expertise in groin kicking, groin punch boxing, and groin tortion inducing Graeco Roman Wrestling Mixed Martial Arts Maximum Urological Damage Inducement Mayhem.

Forget what you may have seen earlier; take a double dose of your DepoProvera, and be decent human beings for once in your misbegotten lives, damn your eyes!

Updated May 18th, 2009 at 10:56 PM by jim thornton

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 12 weeks to the next one

by , May 18th, 2009 at 02:35 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Early morning swim outdoors
    SCM, Solo

I kind of muddled my way through this one. I haven't been sleeping very well lately and I'm really tired.

300 swim free
    300 IM drill
    300 pull alt. 100 free/50 back

kick 4 x 50 w/board w/10 sec. rest steady
    kick 6 x 25 fast w/10 sec. rest: all on back with streamline; 8-10 SDK off each wall, kick the rest of the way backstroke
    50 easy

swim 6 x 125 free on 2:15: 4-6 SDK off each wall; really overkick the last 25; on the whole thing, concentrate on reaching forward and down into the catch...want to get the shoulders rotating a bit more to get you swimming on your side.
    50 easy

pull 8 x 75 on 1:25 (paddles optional): descend 1-4, 5-8; breathe 3/5/whatever by 25

200 swim down
    --
    Total: 2900 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 5-18-09 Fast Aerobic Free

by , May 18th, 2009 at 01:16 PM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    11:00 AM to Noon at the Jamerson YMCA (SCY), coached by Jann.

Warmup:
    200 free
    100 catchup
    100 free
    I alternated 50 free and 50 back for the warmup.
    4x50 free drill on 1:05 - 25 fisted free/25 free swim

Main Set:
    2x100 on 1:45 - I went 1:27 and 1:30
    4x75 descend on 1:30 - 1:15, 1:10, 1:07, 1:04
    2x100 on 1:45 (faster than first two) - I went 1:25 and 1:27
    2x50 fast on 1:00 - I went :40 for both
    4x25 with a 'turbo' kick on :25
    - Repeat
    100s - 1:30, 1:30
    75s - 1:15, 1:13, 1:09, 1:05
    100s - 1:28, 1:25
    50s - :40, :40
    And the 25s just plain hurt!!!

Warmdown:
    175 free
    4 walkaround starts - go hard for 1/2 length then easy to the wall - I did two fly, 1 breast, and 1 free, then I threw in an extra backstroke start and got almost all the way to the 15m mark!

2475 yards

Notes:
    The 25s with the big kick hurt! My starts were all pretty good except I feel like I'm not getting great distance off the blocks and I don't seem to get a good arch on my backstroke starts making for a nice smack on entry!

Updated May 20th, 2009 at 07:49 AM by Iwannafly

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Jacki Hirsty Day

by , May 18th, 2009 at 12:48 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well I declared "Jacki Hirsty Day" today at workout b/c I poached and slightly adjusted one of her routines found here: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=13962"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]
    IT WAS HARD and that was with a little easier intervals than she wrote!
    Great Workout Jacki

DISTANCE
    WARM UP 300 CHOICE

SET 1
    3 X THIS SET:
    100 PULL @ 1 : 30 (about 15 sec rest)
    75 DRILL @ 1 : 10 (about 15 sec rest)
    50 KICK @ 1 : 00 (about 10 sec rest)
    25 BUILD @ 0 : 30 (about 10 sec rest)

SET 2
    3 X THIS SET:
    400 DP @ 6 : 00 (about 40 sec rest)
    200 HARD @ 2 : 40 (about 10 sec rest)
    100 KICK- KEEP GOING - BACK TO TOP @ 2 : 30 (about 40 sec rest)
    (This set is challenging; when you're facing the 3rd fast 200 you wanna give up!)

SET 3
    3 X
    THIS SET:
    75 Drills (about 15 sec rest)
    50 FREE HARD @ 1 : 00 (about 20 sec rest)
    25 EASY @ 0 : 30 (about 15 sec rest)

YARDAGE: 3600

After a swig of coffee I hit the weights and did:
    Leg Press 305, 325, 345
    Extn 110 x 3
    Curl 110 x 3
    Adduct Abduct 110 x 3
    Chins on 1:00 10, 10, 8
    Pulls on 1:00 5,5,5
    Bench Press 125, 140, 155
    Pec Deck on 50/60 x 3
    Swimming with weights.
    About 8-12 reps on each set.

Note on pulls and chins: my hands are about shoulder width apart on the bar, and unlike Fort, I do them on a minute and after a 2 mile swim...

Updated May 18th, 2009 at 01:49 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Mon May 18th, 2009

by , May 18th, 2009 at 10:50 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon May 18th, 2009

continuing to experiment with fly kick freestyle (FK fr) when I'm swimming sets where I'd use a 2 beat kick. FK fr might be faster, my fly kick is faster & more powerful than my flutter kick and my legs stay more streamlined

NEXT MEETS

Thu June 11 - 14, 2009
    Senior Circuit #3
    Austin, TX

Fri July 18 - 19 2009
    USMS South Central Zone Long Course Championship Meet
    Woodlands, TX

weights at world gym

lat press 8 x 40 8 x 45 8 x 50

lat pull 8 x 165 6 x 205 6 x 205

bench 8 x 135 6 x 185 6 x 190

leg press 10 x 180 8 x 270 5 x 360

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY
    6:30 - 8:00
    whitney Coached
    TSC diving well
    swam with todd, russell, & nate,
    beside chris, doug, & tyler

warm up
    4 x (100 fr 25k 100 IM 25 fr)

4 x 200 IM on 3:00

4 x 25 fl desc on 35

4 x 50 bk desc on :55

4 x 75 br desc on :55

assigned: 4 x 200 fr pull on 2:10
    did: 200 fr on 2:10, 150 fr, 150 fr, 200 fr on 2:10

4 x 100 fr desc on 1:30
    went 56

12 kick SDK sprint

50 easy

25 SDK no breather

50 easy

25 sdk no breather

50 easy

25 sdk no breather

Updated May 18th, 2009 at 10:56 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  6. Monday 5/18 - Felt good today

by , May 18th, 2009 at 07:45 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Woke up on time but then had to take care of one of my dogs before leaving this morning, so I was about 10 minutes later than usual. Decided to try a few things I have not done before or in a while like my snorkle. I am going to try to increase my usage a little at a time as I get used to breathing with it. This is really hard for me concidering I breath out through my nose so breathing out through my mouth is hard for me.

5x200 @ 3:30 Free just barely made these

200 free kick w/fins & board
    200 free kick w/fins & snorkle
    200 free kick w/fins & board
    200 fly kick w/fins on back (good ab work)
    200 back kick w/fins & rotation drills

5x100 @ 2:00 as 50 fly/50 back w/fins my fly felt loose and smooth with breathing in the right place for an effortless recovery was holding 1:42's

2x[3x100 @ 1:45 Free w/paddles & bouy round 1 went 1:38, 1:36, 1:34 took 30 seconds extra between rounds to wait for my heart rate to come down since it was too fast round 2 went 1:29, 1:29, 1:28

400 Free EZ last 100 drills

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Better Late Than Not At All!

by , May 17th, 2009 at 10:18 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I was 24 minutes late to our 1 hour practice today. I hopped into a lane that was swimming way above my normal interval speed and basically did a 26 minute swim as fast as I could since I earned no rest on the interval.
    I felt yukky. I won't be going late again.....at least not for awhile.
    We start swimming outdoors LCM on Thursday! I sure do hope it warms up. Heater or not that's alot of water to try to warm up!
    Had mexican food tonight with my offspring! It's really wierd (and expensive) when 2 out of 3 of your kids can legally drink margaritas.
    I planned my solo workouts in advance this week. I usually make them up on my way to the pool.
    I am doing a couple of Jacki Hirsty's all freestyle workouts. They look like a fun way to increase yardage.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. 28, Weight Lifting & Swimming: Scientific Controversies

by , May 17th, 2009 at 08:06 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    I read somewhere that 28 is the number of times you must do something before it becomes a habit.

Yesterday, I did the Nautilus circuit for the 5th time since May 7th, so 23more times and I may start doing it habitually.

Mr. Meat #2 {for some reason, posted Mr. Meat #1 got removed, so I am replacing him with Mr. Meat #2. Is this what Cremepuff looks like underneathe her tight Nike?): Jimby after 23 more Nautilus sessions? (Note: I wonder what equipment I need to train my face to snarl this muscularly?)

Right now, I am lifting Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays; swimming Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays; and playing tennis, awfully, based on today, on Sundays.

Another piece of lore that I read somewhere, and I believe is probably as true as the 28 times business, is that once you get up to speed, weight lifting wise, you can "maintain" strength gains by lifting at least once a week, though twice would probably be better.

Ditto for those who prefer strength training but want to "maintain" aerobic conditioning. Once Mr. Meat (above) gets into decent aerobic swimming shape, in other words, he should be able to maintain this by swimming once (though preferably twice) a week. I don't think this is competition-worthy shape, but it's enough for "health purposes" shape.

(Why do I feel I could bet this guy all the money I have now, and all the money I'm ever gonna get, on a 1650 race, and that this would be the smartest investment I ever made?)

I have a number of questions/comments about weight lifting that I would like to hear answers to, preferably answers based on some kind of literature from the reasonably recent exercise physiology data world.

If you Google "strength training for swimming performance," you get all kinds of recommendations, the gist of which is that it's going to help your performance.

But if you do the same search through Google Scholar or Medline, the picture changes rather dramatically. I will paste in below some of the abstracts I was able to find from actual researchers, as opposed to muscleheaded aficionados.

1. One of the arguments for masters swimmers to weight lift is to counter so-called sarcopenia of aging, the progressive loss of lean muscle mass, which begins around age 25 and proceeds at about a 1 percent per year rate in the sedentary.
    2. On the other hand, in his studies of masters swimmers, aged 22-88, from national competitions, Joel Stager told me that these tended to score in the 82 percentile for their age in terms of explosive strength as measured by vertical leaps, this despite not doing a land sport that requires jumping. Moreover, masters swimmers also seemed to measure much higher in lean muscle mass than age-matched individuals in the general population, this despite not doing weight training per se, but just swimming.
    3. Drs. Stager and David Costill, both very big names in the exercise physiology world, and both masters swimmers themselves, expressed doubt that weightlifting helps swimming performance because the muscles needed to swim fast are very, very specific and almost impossible to simulate with weights (though Dr. Costill suggested the VASA trainer might help somewhat.)
    4. Dr. Costill did indicate that sprint training works as a kind of aquatic strength training in and of itself, adding that "muscle does not know whether it's pushing against water or a piece of $8000 equipment."
    5. Another oft-cited rational for strength training is to help remedy muscle imbalances that can build up when a certain set of muscles are trained way out of proportion to their antagonists. Many of us with shoulder twinges, for instance, are taught to do external rotator cuff exercises with stretch bands, plus other stretch cord calisthenics to build up the scapula muscles, etc. The idea here is to give roughly equal strength to all the rotator cuffs and ancillary muscles mediating movement of the complex shoulder joint. Otherwise, you get a situation akin to a galley ship being rowed on one side by a bunch of Herculeses, and on the other side by a bunch of weaklings. Besides going in circles, the boat kind of breaks down after awhile.
    6. When I interviewed Dara Torres two years ago, she did an amazing array of dry land exercises. She told me that in her earliest incarnation as a sprinter, she did very heavy weights. But now she's having much more success with all this balance ball, core-related, swimming simulating, dry land training. I will try to post one picture now and some more in my next vlog in order to show some of the things she was doing after her stretch cord butterfly simulations (can't remember for sure, but it seemed like she would do sets of stretch cord pulls, much like swimming sets of 100s--all out for a minute or so, rest 30 seconds, repeat, and so forth; to the accompaniment of Golden Oldies music, like Baba OReilly, blasting on her boom box.)

Anyhow, if you have any ideas about this, I would love to hear them. Let me paste in a few links to some articles I found from a literature search:
    1) Sports Med. 1998 Mar;25(3):191-200.Links
    Impact of resistance training on endurance performance. A new form of cross-training?

Tanaka H, Swensen T.
    Department of Kinesiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, USA. tanakah@colorado.edu
    In accordance with the principles of training specificity, resistance and endurance training induce distinct muscular adaptations. Endurance training, for example, decreases the activity of the glycolytic enzymes, but increases intramuscular substrate stores, oxidative enzyme activities, and capillary, as well as mitochondrial, density. In contrast, resistance or strength training reduces mitochondrial density, while marginally impacting capillary density, metabolic enzyme activities and intramuscular substrate stores (except muscle glycogen). The training modalities do induce one common muscular adaptation: they transform type IIb myofibres into IIa myofibres. This transformation is coupled with opposite changes in fibre size (resistance training increases, and endurance training decreases, fibre size), and, in general, myofibre contractile properties. As a result of these distinct muscular adaptations, endurance training facilitates aerobic processes, whereas resistance training increases muscular strength and anaerobic power. Exercise performance data do not fit this paradigm, however, as they indicate that resistance training or the addition of resistance training to an ongoing endurance exercise regimen, including running or cycling, increases both short and long term endurance capacity in sedentary and trained individuals. Resistance training also appears to improve lactate threshold in untrained individuals during cycling. These improvements may be linked to the capacity of resistance training to alter myofibre size and contractile properties, adaptations that may increase muscular force production. In contrast to running and cycling, traditional dry land resistance training or combined swim and resistance training does not appear to enhance swimming performance in untrained individuals or competitive swimmers, despite substantially increasing upper body strength. Combined swim and swim-specific 'in-water' resistance training programmes, however, increase a competitive swimmer's velocity over distances up to 200 m. Traditional resistance training may be a valuable adjunct to the exercise programmes followed by endurance runners or cyclists, but not swimmers; these latter athletes need more specific forms of resistance training to realise performance improvement.

2. Effects of repeated days of intensified training on muscle glycogen and swimming performance.

Original Investigations
    Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 20(3):249-254, June 1988.
    Costill, David L.; Flynn, Michael G.; Kirwan, John P.; Houmard, Joseph A.; Mitchell, Joel B.; Thomas, Robert; Han Park, Sung

Excerpt from abstract:
    Nevertheless, their swimming power, sprinting (s-22.86 m-1), endurance (s-365.8 m-1) performance, aerobic capacity, and muscle (m. deltoid) citrate synthase were unchanged as a consequence of the 10-d training regimen. Four of the 12 swimmers were, however, unable to tolerate the heavier training demands, and were forced to swim at significantly slower (P<0.05) speeds during the training sessions.

3. Dry-land resistance training for competitive swimming.
    Physical Fitness And Performance
    Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 25(8):952-959, August 1993.
    TANAKA, HIROFUMI; COSTILL, DAVID L.; THOMAS, ROBERT; FINK, WILLIAM J.; WIDRICK, JEFFREY J.
    Abstract:
    TANAKA, H., D. L. COSTILL, R. THOMAS, W. J. FINK, and J. J. WIDRICK. Dry-land resistance training for competitive swimming. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 25, No. 8, pp. 952-959, 1993. To determine the value of dry-land resistance training on front crawl swimming performance, two groups of 12 intercollegiate male swimmers were equated based upon preswimming performance, swim power values, and stroke specialities. Throughout the 14 wk of their competitve swimming season, both swim training group (SWIM, N = 12) and combined swim and resistance training group (COMBO, N = 12) swam together 6 d a week. In addition, the COMBO engaged in a 8-wk resistance training program 3 d a week. The resistance training was intended to simulate the muscle and swimming actions employed during front crawl swimming. Both COMBO and SWIM had significant (P < 0.05) but similar power gains as measured on the biokinetic swim bench and during a tethered swim over the 14-wk period. No change in distance per stroke was observed throughout the course of this investigation. No significant differences were found between the groups in any of the swim power and swimming performance tests. In this investigation, dry-land resistance training did not improve swimming performance despite the fact that the COMBO was able to increase the resistance used during strength training by 25-35%. The lack of a positive transfer between dry-land strength gains and swimming propulsive force may be due to the specificity of training.
    (C)1993The American College of Sports Medicine

Updated May 18th, 2009 at 11:50 AM by jim thornton (post new picture)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Weights, Sunday, May 17

by , May 17th, 2009 at 07:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Busy all day with kid stuff again. Snuck out of the house to do very important lifting around 4:30 pm. Forgot my weight lifting gloves ...

deadlift, 110 x 2 x 10
    standing lat pulldown, 150 x 2 x 10
    alternating hammers, 30 x 2 x 20 (hard!)
    squats (usedmachine, sorry jazz), 200 x 1 x 15, 220 x 1 x 15
    hip abductor, 110 x 2 x 12
    chins, 2 x 10
    push ups, 3 x 25
    forward lunges w/10 lb DBs, 2 x 20
    elevated crunches w/med ball, 2 x 25
    incline crunches w/10 lb weight above head, 2 x 25
    hanging reverse ab crunch w/ab sling, 2 x 25
    hanging straight leg raise w/ab sling, 2 x 15
    hip hinges w/10 lb DBs, 2 x 15, left leg
    external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    arm extensions for RC w/3 lb weights, 3 x 15

10 minutes stretching

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saw someone doing Hindu pushups and diamond push ups today. The Hindu push ups look like they would be great for the core. They're not easy!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcW61Bb8uOo"]YouTube - Hindu Pushup - visit www.power-fitness.info[/ame]

Tried doing the forward lunges with one foot on the bosu. Don't like 'em. I feel like this works the quads more than the hammies and glutes.
  10. sun may 17, 2009

by , May 17th, 2009 at 06:18 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sun May 17h, 2009

NEXT MEETS

Thu June 11 - 14, 2009
    Senior Circuit #3
    Austin, TX

Fri July 18 - 19 2009
    Woodlands, TX

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM
    noon - 1:15
    mary Coached
    TSC diving well
    swam with larry & jamie
    dove in at 12:30

worked on dolphin kick with free

8 x (100 fr on 1:35, 50 fr on 55)

12 x 50 on 1:10
    1 SDK underwater
    2 drill
    3 fast
    4 k on back

5 x 100 fr on 1:40
    1 easy mod
    2 mod
    3 strong
    4 strong
    5 easy
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. No swim on the weekend

by , May 17th, 2009 at 10:12 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Yesterday was a day for running and walking. I got up early and ran about 2 miles. Then later in the morning my daughter and I did a 5k walk together.

Since the pool is closed on Sunday, today will be a total rest day.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. 5-16-09 Stroke and an attempt at a fast free

by , May 17th, 2009 at 08:02 AM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    2:00 to 3:30 PM at the Jamerson YMCA (SCY) with no coach.

Warmup:
    400 free
    16x25 drill - 4 each IMO on :40 except free drills on :35
    3x100 free descending on 1:55
    3x100 IM descending on 2:00

Main Set:
    3x100 fly on 2:00 - I took at least 4 full strokes off each wall before switching to 1 arm fly
    3x100 back on 2:00 - My turns were pretty sketchy and my stroke didn't feel as good as it has the past couple of weeks - I took my normal 4 strokes past the flags and was still a stroke or two short of the wall on a couple of turns.
    3x100 breast on 2:00

3x50 fly on 1:00 - Did the first 25 of each with full strokes
    3x50 back on 1:00
    3x50 breast on 1:00

50 free easy
    100 free - all out - could only manage a 1:20:-(

Warmdown:
    100 free

3000 yards

Updated May 20th, 2009 at 07:46 AM by Iwannafly

Tags: saturday, stroke
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. 5-16-09

by , May 16th, 2009 at 11:33 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Practice this morning at the newly re-opened NHS pool. Whatever they did to the pool was a bad thing. The humidity in the natatorium equals a gamey steam room. The water no longer has the cool, crisp, refreshing feel of azure pleasure........it seemed soggy, cloying, and tepid.
    I think the custodians are sweeping the dirt from the deck into the pool; the bottom was littered with strange dirt and garbage type litter unlike anything I've ever found on the bottom of a pool before. I seriously cannot wait till the outdoor pool opens!
    Here is my TOXIC Saturday workout:

1) 600 freestyle warm-up swim
    2) 12 X 25 Free on :30 pick-up sprint
    3) 12 X 50 on 1;00 all free smooth
    4) 8 X 100 Free on 1:45 odds sprint hard/evens steady
    5) 8 X 75 IM Roll on 1:30
    6) 200 IM Steady
    7) 200 Free steady
    8) 100 Back cool-down

I'm doing a 5K lake swim in Huntington, IN in June.
    I am going to try the new ZOOT speed skin. It feels nice, alot like the BS suit except tighter.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Sat., May 16

by , May 16th, 2009 at 05:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety warm up

16 x 25 UW shooters w/MF
    4 belly, 4 left side, 4 right side, 4 back

50 EZ

Main sets:

Left home without a workout in mind. Decided after warm up to mix it up with swimming & kicking at various speeds: short rest, aerobic, best average, easy speed and AFAP.

9 x 100 dolphin kick on back w/MF

1-3 @ 1:25
    4-6 @ 1:20
    7-9 @ 1:15

(Held around 1:10 except for last couple were a tad slower. First one was way too fast as usual at 1:06.)

100 EZ

8 x 75 IM @ 1:15
    1-4 = fly/back/evil
    5-8 = back/evil/free

8 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:00, best average
    (held mostly 27s, couple 28s)

50 EZ

8 x 25 AFAP free w/fins + 25 easy @ 1:15

50 EZ

8 x 25 easy speed fly w/fins + 25 easy @ 1:00

(Fly felt smooth for first time in awhile.)

100 EZ

Total: 4150

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Felt pretty creaky at the beginning after spending a lot of time in the car and getting up early for a soccer game. BTW, when the weather is good, regattas rock! They totally beat sitting inside a chlorinated swimming pool area.

Tried out new fins today. I bought the standard rubber long blade fins from Speedo. These were much looser and more flexible around the ankle and the foot box. They were the right size, but I practically kicked one off once. Plus, I felt like my feet were permanently arched way past the 180 degrees point you might get if you were pointing your toes. Hmmm ... right now I like the stiffer fins better.

Updated May 16th, 2009 at 06:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. 50 FR for time

by , May 16th, 2009 at 04:13 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Coached at a team meet today and was the oldest 13 and older boy to swim the 50 FR.
    Went :28.22 in a 3ft to 10 ft Y pool Lane 1 no outside lane line (Fort ) and no warm up...I'm not too unhappy considering that would have been a PB 6 months ago.

Some of the senior guys high fived me on my way to swim and I got some shouts from them. So that was nice...or they were mocking me...I'll go with nice...

Updated May 16th, 2009 at 08:01 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Sat May 16th, 2009

by , May 16th, 2009 at 02:03 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat May 16th, 2009

NEXT MEETS

Thu June 11 - 14, 2009
    Senior Circuit #3
    Austin, TX

Fri July 18 - 19 2009
    Woodlands, TX

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy
    7:30 - 9:00
    whitney Coached
    TSC diving well
    swam with tyler, jon, chris, mary, amrussel Matt paul & marcio

warm up

7 x 100 fr on 1:15

7 x 100 on 1:15 done 75 fr 25 bk

7 x 100 on 1:15 DONE 50 FR 50 im

12 X 25
    evens easy free on 1:00
    odds FAST SDK on 0:20
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Saturday 5/16 - I hate on call!

by , May 16th, 2009 at 01:45 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    I was paged every half hour starting at 2:30 am due to system problems. Nothing I could fix but had to be available to test things ones they did get it fixed. Needless to say I am tired. Since things finally came back up around 6:30 and after checking the systems out I just went to swim with the kids at 9:00 then in to work to finish some cleanup. Now I am off to shop.

Here is what we did
    500 Free EZ
    20x50 Fly drills w/fins
    20x50 Back drills w/fins

The girls dragged me for a 50. This is actually something they like to do. We take 2 belts unhook the parachutes and hook the belts together I grab where the 2 belts come together and then they drag me swimming side by side.

400 IM went 6:24
    100 EZ free recovery
    5x100 @ 1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy held 1:15's never have I gone this fast on this set usually I hold 1:22's
    500 kick ez

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Help for Swimmer's Thumb!

by , May 16th, 2009 at 12:20 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Today's belated vlog offers great hope and comfort to the estimated 97 percent of my fellow masters swimmers who suffer greatly, as I do, from the condition known as Swimmer's Thumb.

In the video below, you will learn all you ever cared to know--and more--about the treatment of this condition.

But first, a quick catching-up of my recent swimming and--brace yourselves--weight-lifiting activities. After being sidelined for 8 days with swine flu lite and Swimmers Thumb, I returned to the pool and gymnasium with a vengeance, determined to lose weight and pack on muscle.

I am delighted to tell you that one of these goals is already paying off, at the illusory detriment to the other. To wit: I have gained 5 additional lb. ......
    of solid muscle!

Here are my activities since getting off the sick bed and thumb ottoman (the numbers refer to yards; the word "weights" refers to Nautilus sessions; and tennis refers to a sport by which a yellow ball is smacked around with sticks with wickety heads attached to their ends):

1. 3150
    2. 500 & weights
    3. 3200
    4. weights
    5. tennis
    6. 4500
    7. weights
    8. 3800
    9. weights
    10. 5000

-------------------------

And now, as promised, Help for Swimmer's Thumb!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzYhmTf3250"]YouTube - Untitled[/ame]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. 15Apr09 - Friday Swim & Gym

by , May 16th, 2009 at 01:12 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    I try to read most all the blogs here and review the workouts in the Discussion threads. Being the workout thief that I am, I "stole" Chris's workout from yesterday...

6:10 AM UMHS / YMCA / Solo
    Warm 400

200 FR good effort on 3:00 (did 2:30)
    200 FR @ 150 / :10 rest on 3:15 (did 3:00)
    2x100 FR on 1:45 (1:15's)
    50 ez on 1:00
    4x50 FR on :55 (:30's) (Workout calls for 200 pace; I don't have a 200 pace yet!)
    50 ez on 1:00
    8x25 on :30 (~:15's)
    100 ez
    -----------------------------------
    Omitted Kick set and 100 ez)
    ----------------------------------
    Stroke (BK)
    100 BK strong/50 ez on 3:00 (gave myself 4:00)
    2x50 BK on 1:00
    50 BK ez 1:00 (more like 2:00)
    4x25 BK :35 ( with a few SDK's did :20's)
    100 FR ez

Pull - Blue TYR paddles and buoy - 1x400 (called for x2) 5:00

W/D - 200
    The pool was much colder today, but it was great! I am very sore from stepping up the weight/dryland routine and stepping up my workouts; however, I held to the intervals, this was an a excellent workout...

Lords Gym-
    Lower Routine/No Cable Cross/Stability Ball routine
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Kick challenge

by , May 16th, 2009 at 12:00 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Swam 2,200 yards on Thursday and did 3,000 this morning. Have been using fins a great deal to build up kick and get ready for sprinting. At the end of each practice, with fins on, I did a set of 4 x 75 back dolphin kick on 1:00. On Thursday, I really gunned it and held between 45 to 50 for the set. Today, a little worn from the week, so held 50 to 55. A great set to work the core.

Was able to make the yoga class Thursday night. Flexibility seems to have improved. Balance has not. I like all the names of the various positions - crow, sphinx, cobra, downward dog, etc.
    Categories
    Uncategorized