View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Monday, January 11, 2010

by , January 11th, 2010 at 09:26 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Swim workout today. Didn't feel great, but got it done. Hope rest of week will be more sprint work.

500 easy warm-up

400 free pull with paddles

20 x 50 on :50 - Did 6 free, 4 dolphin on back with fins, 5 free, 5 dolphin on back

100 easy

10 x 50 free kick on 1:00

100 easy

2600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Mundane Monday

by , January 11th, 2010 at 09:00 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Man it sucks to have to swim alone nearly all the time...coming up with workouts...not really knowing what I should do to maximise my swimming...anyhow enough wallowing.

3 x 200 Swim with snorkel to warm up
    rest
    4 x 50 FR SPRINT 3:00 32-35 on all...from push...meh--though it's hard to get the right time when nobody times etc.I did 2 breaths only on #1
    10 x 50 Kick 2:00 went 1:15 on #1 and descended steadily through the set until I got < 1:00 on the last one.
    4 x 50 EZ snorkel
    4 x 50 3 BR/3 FLY
    4 x 50 FLY trying to get EVF and such...fly still feels like **** and I'm getting fed up with the lack of progress.
    4 x 50 EZ
    5 x 100 1:45 descend went 1:35 to 1 :24
    400 K with fins
    4 x 50 cool

Fly is beginning to grate on my nerves that I can't get it to flow and without a coach watching and giving advice...it's getting tiresome.

Highlight was getting the last 50 kick in under 1:00 after sprint set. I couldn't have done that fresh a few months back.

Went and lifted today for about 40 minutes. I did the norm...but I had to skip adduct and abduct to save time.

Booked room for Nats.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Monday, Jan. 11

by , January 11th, 2010 at 07:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

Transition Sets:

Hypoxic SDK:

4 x (4 x 25) shooter w/MF Dolphina
    1-4 = belly
    5-8 = twirling
    9-12 = back
    13-16 = twirling

Drilly:

4 x (3 x 50) @ 1:00, IM Order, no fins
    #1 = drill
    #2 = kick
    #3 = swim (except I drilled the fly)

Backstroke Kick Mini Mountain Redux, no fins:

1 x 25 kick @ :30 (shooter)
    1 x 50 kick @ 1:00 (14 SDKs)
    1 x 75 kick @ 1:30 (13 SDKs)
    1 x 100 kick @ 2:00 (12-13 SDKs)
    1 x 75 kick @ 1:30 (13 SDKs)
    1 x 50 kick @ 1:00 (14 SDKs)
    1 x 25 @ :30 (shooter)

50 EZ

Main set:

4 x (4 x 100) @ 1:45 w/MF, done as:

#1-4 = dolphin kick w/MF & board, descend
    (1:15, 1:10, 1:05, 1:00)
    1:00 breaststroke vertical kick*
    #5-8 = breast PLD
    1:00 breast vertical kick
    #9-12 = dolphin kick w/MF on back, descend to kinda fast
    (1:10, 1:05, 1:00, :55)
    1:00 breaststroke vertical kick
    #13-16 = breast PLD
    1:00 breaststroke vertical kick

* trying to keep knees together and prevent them from breaking the horizontal plane

10 x glide drill

100 EZ

Total: 3850+

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Whoa. I felt pretty fatigued and slow today, and consequently did a mostly recovery workout. The back-to-back combo of bikram + P90X plyos this weekend, after not doing them since November, made the hammies a *little* sore. I also think I have some accumulated training/leg fatigue. I glanced through my blog the last month, and I've been hitting it pretty hard since NE Champs. This is my usual pattern. Train like mad for 4 weeks and then feel like I need a relative rest. Unfortunately, there's no good meet to rest for! So I may take it relatively easy the next couple days. I'll be traveling this weekend as well, and that will definitely preclude any doubles.

I feel like I at least did a better job on my mini mountain kick today than I did last Friday in the hot pool. But it was a hypoxic effort only; I didn't feel like I had any easy speed.

SCY Nats:

I booked a hotel room at the Georgia Tech Conference Center, as it seemed the most convenient and got a decent $109 rate. The cheapest airfare I've seen so far is $219, likewise not bad. And the familial negotiations are proceeding apace.

I may only do 2 travel meets this year, Atlanta and a SCM meet in December. The timing of Atlanta is not ideal if I go on a frolic & banter type vacation over spring break. That's under familial negotiations as well. But c'est la vie. I don't want to miss out on all the fun!

Here's the Order of Events: http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats10/events.php

I think I'll swim:

Friday: 50 evil, 100 fly
    Sat: 50 fly, 50 back
    Sun: 100 IM, 100 back

I wish the 100 back wasn't my last event or so close to the 100 IM. Hopefully a lot of people will swim the 200 fly, which is in between. Not too damn likely!

The only slight downer is that I doubt many from my team will go. Maybe 3 guys, including Speedo, but no chicks. Which would mean no relays for me unless I joined another team with friends ... But I think that requires 60 days of being unattached, which would include Zones. Not a great idea, since my team is hosting CZ.

Possible Thursday Workout w/Speedo:

Since Pete is determined to do more race pace work, , I found a nice workout when perusing Tall Paul's recent workouts (a couple of sets of which I stole today):

15 minute warm-up

8 x 50's @ 1:00 build
    option to do reverse IM order

Main #1:
    2x (4 x 25's @ :40 variable (easy-fast/fast-easy/all easy/all fast)

200 (25 scull/50 swim/25 kick)

4 x 50's @ 3:00 best average

300 hypoxic pull (except NOT this)

Main #2:
    8 x 25's @ :30 w/fins (shooter/underwater kick to 15m/easy swim to 25)

200 (25 scull/50 swim/25 kick)

2 x 100's @ 4:00 fast w/fins and paddles

300 choice warm down

Updated January 11th, 2010 at 10:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Monday, 1/11/10

by , January 11th, 2010 at 02:03 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo
    I felt really slow and sluggish today.

300 swim free
    300 IM drill
    (kicked 25 then drilled 50 on each stroke)
    300 pull choice
    (150 free w/p&b, then 150 back w/buoy only)
    swim 6 x 50 build on 1:00: odds free, evens back

swim 2x around:
    {
    2 x 200 on 3:30 make interval
    (1st round free went 3:00, 3:05, 2nd back went 3:15 on both)
    swim 2 x 100 on 1:45 negative split by 50
    (free 1:25, 1:30, back 1:35 on both)
    swim 2 x 50 pace on 50: try to hold a decently fast pace
    (free around 40, back around 43)
    }

kick 8x25 on :30 w/MF: odds 1/2 under, 1/2 over; evens fast

swim down 100
    --
    Total: 2900 yards

Evening run on treadmill at gym.
    walk 0.1 mi to warmup
    run 2.9 mi starting at 10 min/mi and increasing speed every 1/4 mi
    jog/walk .25 mi to cool

Updated January 12th, 2010 at 11:52 AM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -01/12/10 -SCY

by , January 11th, 2010 at 01:36 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    Today we will do a birthday swim in honor of Tommy Schwartz, 50 years old today.

LCM
    25 X 100 1:45

SCY
    25 X 100 1:30
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. I've Got A Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts

by , January 11th, 2010 at 12:06 PM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    "It is a happy talent to know how to play."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

BORKED
    fluff for your entertainment

Before the first Tropical Splash, I brought some coconuts to a workout to test them out for the fun relay we planned. Could a swimmer actually swim with a coconut or two or three? Do they float or sink? Do they get water logged? Do they break open? We had a lot of fun that night experimenting with the things only swimmers can dream up of what to do to/with coconuts in the water.

First, we discovered that coconuts sink, although slowly. We thought that might be more fun - if you loose a coconut while swimming the relay, you have to dive down to retrieve it. No, they have a mind of their own, and upon sinking, follow the water currents, drifting into someone else's lane. This could cause swimmer collision. True, our insurance policy covered fun relays (well, maybe not with coconuts), but it did not include collision damage. We drill a hole in them, drain out the milk, and plug the hole with plumbers putty. The resulting air inside allows them to float.

Next, we discovered that swimmers with Type A personalities were chucking the coconuts down the pool, and then swimming to them, without actually swimming with them. Concussions and lawsuits came to mind. The rules were quickly changed. We also came up with the rule that swimmers start in the water at the handoff. Passing the nuts to a relay member on deck and starting off the blocks with coconuts in tow sounded painful.

Here's how the 3-person 150-yd coconut relay works.

Swimmers sign up at the awards table with their relay name and any three swimmers in the meet - (another team or unattached). Masters swimmers are not as creative as I believed or hoped (just look at the USMS logo…) - most relay names are uninspiring. Some of the better ones over the years: "Big Kahunas", "Slow Parents and Fast Kid", "Waheenies", "The Doctors", "Koo Koo 4 Coconuts". Come on, we can do better!
    • Swimmer #1 starts from the blocks and swims 25 yards. At the end of the pool, he picks up a coconut and swims back with it, handing it off to swimmer #2, who is in the water waiting.
    • Swimmer #2 swims 25 yards with the coconut and picks up a second one, swimming back to the start with both coconuts. Swimmer #2 hands them off to swimmer #3 waiting in the water.
    • Swimmer #3 swims 25 yards with both coconuts. Then, he picks up one more coconut, and swims back to the finish with all 3 coconuts.

Last year there were 10 relay teams put together. One guy brought his own women's 'top' to wear in the coconut relay to have a place to store his coconuts while swimming. Women have a distinct advantage in this event, with more suit to stuff coconuts into, thereby freeing up the arms to use to swim. Men need to hold onto the coconuts, handicapping the arms and/or legs, and we do not stuff coconuts into our jammers. (Although some were getting wise and using a body suit.) With those suits banned by the time of our meet, the women would go back to having an advantage this year.

But, we decided to allow full body suits this year in the coconut relay. After spending that money, swimmers need to get some use out of them, even if it is just to swim with coconuts.

BOOK OF WISDON
    Think 'insurance liability' before deciding on a fun relay. For example, I know that water polo (balls) is not covered in our swim workouts (and I doubt coconuts are, either.)

Updated January 11th, 2010 at 12:40 PM by Rnovitske

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Interesting mix but no energy

by , January 11th, 2010 at 07:32 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Tried to get moving but just had no energy.

10x100@1:45 Free
    10x50@2:00 from a dive sprint 15 meters then cruise free for the rest did 6 free, 2 back and 2 fly the free felt strong toward the end and the starts felt better
    5x50@1:00 Free rt arm only w/paddle
    5x50@1:00 Free lt arm only w/paddle
    5x50@1:00 Free paddle on rt arm 4 kicks on paddle arm
    5x50@1:00 Free paddle on lt arm 4 kicks on paddle arm
    500 Free kick w/fins
    100 Free for time w/fins wert 1:02 not good
    400 Free easy

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Indiana Wants Me, Lord I Can't Go Back There!

by , January 10th, 2010 at 10:55 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I'm home now. An empty nester, lonely, eccentric, cat loving person.
    My daughter and I had fun getting her apartment and life ready to start college tomorrow in spite of the amazingly cold weather in South Florida! Good Luck Tomorrow Sarah!
    I ended up driving the whole way straight through to St. Petersburg. I really never did get sleepy or tired. Around Atlanta, GA I started having focus problems; a little Adderall helped get things back on track.
    I now officially have 3 children enrolled in college. I will be spending lots of time on the blog and facebook since I will no longer have any $$ to have fun with!

I swam 6 out of 7 mornings at the Central YMCA in St. Pete. I planned to swim with the St. Pete Masters outside at the beautiful North Beach pool but it was soooo cold (I had to scrape my windows 3 mornings) so I chickened out and swam solo at the Y each day. I'm not going to type up all 6 workouts (boring) but I will report I averaged 3,700 per workout and usually had a lane all to myself. I will try the St. Pete Masters again during spring break; surely it will be a little warmer by then!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. End of heavy weights cycle

by , January 10th, 2010 at 09:39 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Got a very short swim of 1,000 yards in yesterday. Was coming back from son's swim meet and got to Y 30 minutes before the pool closed. Did an easy 1,000 yards just to stay loose. Son, after doing a meet, was not even remotely tired, so he played basketball in the gym with some friends.

Today got in last session of heavy weights cycle. May have been able to do more reps on the bench, but I figured I'd play it safe:

Jump rope: 200 skips

Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 5, 3 sets of 100 x 3

Lat pulldown: 2 sets of 90 x 5, 3 sets of 150 x 5

Bicep curls: 2 sets of 35 x 8

Military press: 2 sets of 50 x 8

Ls in captain's chair - 2 sets of 10

Updated January 17th, 2010 at 08:36 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Sunday, Jan. 10

by , January 10th, 2010 at 07:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Didn't have much time to workout today. My main priority was to sleep in after going to a late movie last night (Youth in Rebel -- very good & funny). Instead, I plugged in my 60 minute P90X plyo DVD, which I hadn't done since early November. It was still hard, and I can feel my hamstrings. Didn't do anything in double time. Back to the pool tomorrow afternoon.

P90X plyo exercises:

Exercises are grouped into rounds, and each round gets repeated once. The first 3 exercises in each group are :30 and the 4th one is 1:00. The breakdown is as follows:

1) Jump squat, run stance squat, airborne heisman (lateral leaping), swing kick

2) Squat reach jump, run stance squat with direction switch, double airborne heisman, circle run

3) Jump knee tuck. jumping lunge, leapfrog squat, twist combo

4) Rock star hop, gap jump, squat jack, military march

5) Run squat with 180 jump, lateral leapfrog, monster truck tire, hot foot

6) Bonus round: pitch & catch, jump shot, football move (60 seconds each)

I'm flying to the Chicago area this coming MLK weekend with my son to visit Northwestern and see my sister. There is a pool very near her house, I know. I think my Nats team, ABM, has a meet on Saturday. No idea if they have practice on Sunday. Further investigation required. I hope I have warm enough clothes ...

GMUP practices were cancelled again this weekend, both days, without any make ups or even pretend (4:45 am) make ups. Membership is on the wane ... I hope our team rep can make some headway with management.

I ordered 3 yoga DVDs so we'll see how my at home experiment works. Mini Fort is interested too.

Updated January 10th, 2010 at 07:43 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  11. SHOUT OUT

Its January..... that means the water at Brighton Beach is dipping into the lower 30's and all but a hand full have hung up their speedos until spring. The Polar Bears will continue to dip and frolic in their weekly plunges, but as for swimming.....

I have had the pleasure of swimming into the 40's with my hardcore shivering friends this year and the post swim hot tea, cookies, and packed tightly into a van with the heat blasting is a unique bonding experience.

I dedicate this blog post to Rachel, Cristian, and Patti who, after swimming the Straits of Magellan last year, will be en route to Chile in the next couple of days for another swimming adventure. Follow the journey on Rachel's blog: http://www.rachelgolub.blogspot.com/ and keep them in your thoughts for a safe and successful journey!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. 1/10: Meet Report

by , January 10th, 2010 at 11:46 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Didn't go.

90 minute bike averaging 88 rpm.

I said I would blog my workouts until this meet and I have, but this isn't really what was planned. I am discontinuing workout posts until I at least get back in the water. It is safe to assume I will be biking more than I want to and eating less than I want to until then.

Future Meets:

I don't think I will have a true shave and taper meet this scy season. All the USAS scy meets wrap up by the middle of Feb, there is a USMS meet at the end of Feb that is probably too close to taper for and I will be in Asia for 2 weeks in April, getting back about 3.5 weeks before Nationals.

02/26/2010 - 02/28/2010 2010 Republic of Texas World SCY Championships featuring the BlueSeventy Texas Shoot Out

Not sure what I am going to enter yet. Thinking about 3 (100fr,100bk,200fr) events Saturday and 5 Sunday if that is allowed.

05/20/2010 - 05/23/2010 2010 USMS Short Course Nationals

This meet is tentative for me right now, but looks possible. I would fly in Thursday night, swim the 200 free Friday, beat Paul, hide from Paul, swim the 500 free and the 100 free Saturday, fly home Saturday night. I would train more for the 500 than the 100 if I can make this meet.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. I have a lot of wood!

by , January 10th, 2010 at 11:22 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Yep I do you can see pictures of it on Facebook!

I didn't workout this weekend really.
    Had a YMCA swim meet yesterday with the youngsters but I still hopped on the block for a 50 FR :28.88 and a 100 BR 1:18.8.
    Not bad considering I didn't rest up, shave, wear a speed suit, or even get a warm up or down...

Best part was the 100 BR and seeing the kids I coach yelling and screaming for me at the walls. They're 8, 9 and 10...so I think they were really proud I swam...although of course shortly after cheering I was taunted with "Har-har...you got beat by a girl!"

So I said "Kid, everyone gets beat by a girl eventually...you just get used to it!"

Oh yeah, back to the wood...I have at least 1.5 cords of wood delivered and I stacked it solo over the weekend...it's a good workout!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Saturday Jan 9th 2010

by , January 10th, 2010 at 11:09 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Saturday Jan 9th 2010

blogging to you from Nashville near Opryland
    my training plan is
    Sat swim
    sun off
    mon swim
    tue swim
    wed off

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Tracy Caulkins pool on 25 where 91 USMS SCY nats were
    trained with NAC SR 1 group
    Brad Kale coached
    7:00 - 9:00
    swam in my own lane beside kids in SR 1 group, mostly girls 13 - 15
    arrived on time

wore briefs

200 fr
    4 x 75 k
    2 x 100 fr
    4 x 75
    4 x 50
    4 x 75
    8 x 25
    4 x 75

8 x 150 on 2:15
    odds 25 fl 50 bk 25 br 50 fr
    evens 50 fl 25 bk 50 br 25 fr

2 rounds of
    2 x 100 bk on 1:30 easy
    100 bk k on 2:00 easy
    4 x 25 bk on 30 done 15 SDK, 5 spin drill to flags, 5 easy

3 rounds of
    100 fr at 500 pace on 1:10
    50 easy on 1:00
    2 x 50 fr at 200 pace on :50
    50 easy on 1:00
    50 FAST
    50 easy

50 fly fast off the side
    went 25.2

50 easy

2010 MEETS:

January 15 – 18, 2010
    2010 ST TXLA New Years Classic
    Austin, TX
    Entered
    Rasmussen, Ande M (46)
    FRI
    # 2D Men 15 & Over 50 Back 24.64Y
    # 6D Men 15 & Over 50 Fly 24.22Y
    SAT
    # 10D Men 15 & Over 200 IM 1:58.39Y
    # 12D Men 15 & Over 100 Free 48.92Y
    SUN
    # 22D Men 15 & Over 50 Free 21.99Y
    # 25D Men 15 & Over 100 Fly 51.80Y
    MON
    # 32D Men 15 & Over 200 Free 1:50.70Y
    # 34D Men 15 & Over 100 Back 53.32Y

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX
    Count Down
    Entries: The entry period is February 7 - 21, 2010. Swimmers may enter a maximum of 3 individual events per day. Teams are limited to two relays per event. Enter all events, including bonus events, with previous best times achieved in short course yards. Do not convert times.
    We will be using USA Swimming's Online Meet Entry system for this meet. OME will provide qualifying time directly from the SWIMS database. Please note that this system is not an eligibility report; it is the coaches' responsibility to know which events their swimmers are qualified for.

April 9 -11
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    The Woodlands, TX
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Another Saturday stroke day

by , January 9th, 2010 at 09:33 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Saturday is my day to work with the kids on their strokes and with the meet coming up next weekend this Saturday was no exception.

5x100@1:45 Free
    4x25@1:00 10 of easy stroke various drills
    5x200@3:00 Free w/paddles & bouy desc 1-5 went 2:46, 2:44, 2:39, 2:36, 2:34
    300 Free
    200 kick W/fins

Total 3500 yards
    After the kids left Tom Dunlop came in and we reviewed his turns, I am trying to help him get ready for flat walls at Nationals since he is used to grabbing the gutter.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Short Sunday afternoon swim

This morning I went to the “Breakfast with a Ranger” program at Topsail Hill State Park (one of 4 Florida state parks along this roughly 20-mile stretch of shore). I learned about coastal dune lakes and their ecosystems. These are more-or-less freshwater lakes that periodically connect to larger bodies of salt water; animals and plants living in them have various strategies of dealing with changing salinities. The bottom line—such lakes are rare (although this area is riddled with them) and complicated.

The designated swimming area in one such lake at Grayton Beach State Park used to feature a sign saying “Alligators—Swim with Caution.”

This afternoon I went to the pool. It was my first swim since I fell down on the ice on a walkway a couple of days ago (Yes, I managed to slip and fall on the ice--in Florida! Darn sprinklers.). I was a little worried about my ankle, which had been feeling a bit wonky, but everything felt fine in the pool.

The lifeguards assured me it was too cold to swim (air temps in the 30s), but they were wrong. The water felt great. Here’s what I did:

1000 warmup

10 x 100: 2 each @ 2:00, 1:50, 1:40, 1:30, 1:20, variety of strokes

600 yards of snorkel experimentation [I tried out various things with my swim snorkel today. I think I need a nose clip if I’m going to do flipturns with it. The only thing I really enjoyed was kicking FR and BR without a board. It was useful to just keep my head in the water and focus on my kick. I do feel like the snorkel puts a lot of upward pressure on my head where the strap goes around my forehead, and I didn’t like that sensation. I’ll keep experimenting.]

400 warmdown

I entered the Eisenhower Park meet on 1/24—I signed up for all 3 IMs and the 500 Free.
    I’m going to focus on making my flipturns better between now and then. It should be fun!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Dirty Hippie, Sat., Jan. 9

by , January 9th, 2010 at 06:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hot Yoga:

Since I cannot be trusted to stretch alone, I went to a 90 minute hot yoga class today. The Resolutionists were out in full force. I've never been in such a crowded yoga class. One of Jazzy's friends says hot yoga is for "dirty hippies." I looked around the class today and only saw one person who might qualify for that appellation. lol Otherwise, there was a wide variety of ages, and I'm under the impression that hot yoga is somewhat trendy as opposed to the province of oldsters. Mini Fort wants me to go to cold yoga with her tomorrow, but this conflicts with my other daughter's jazz recital, which literally hogs the whole afternoon.

I thought it might be somewhat hard for my first time back since November. But it was surprisingly fine. It was the best I'd ever done on the balancing postures. Maybe my core work is helping with these. The best part about bikram is all the back and leg stretching. I like it better than doing umpteen downward dogs. However, I am still going to do some investigation into cold yoga DVDs and will probably get one ashtanga and one vinyassa. The first 3 on this list look pretty good. http://www.susiej.com/index.php/the-top-ten-yoga-dvds/

This was my last pre-paid class at the Falls Church studio, so I may try the Reston studio next. An we all know who work in Reston. Watch out Geek!

Physical Therapy Any Good?

Very interesting article questioning the value or benefit of PT in many instances. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/07/he...y&st=cse&scp=1. Personally, I've never been much of a fan, though I think certain exercises (RC) are worthwhile.

The article opines that icing is of virtually no benefit. It also caught my attention that eccentric exercises are beneficial. That's what Mr. Fort's trainer has him doing for hip/hamstring rehab.

Also, poor girl, she didn't get her PRP for a tendon tear covered. Must have needed a lawyer.

Updated January 10th, 2010 at 12:15 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  18. Chasing harriet

OK, I know this is silly.... and I'm not planning my workouts with any kind of "Go The Distance" goals in mind (thought I expect to be somewhere between 1,000 and 1,200 total miles for 2010)
    but I can't help checking the list daily.....
    http://www.usms.org/fitness/results1...rticipants.php

Today was another 10,000 day done as:
    3x 1000 on 13:30
    3x 2000 on 27:00
    1000 ladder (25fr, 25bk, 50fr, 50bk, 75fr, 75bk, 100fr, 100bk and then repeat in reverse)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. 1/9: Bike and Diet info

by , January 9th, 2010 at 02:39 PM (Random Nonsense)
    90 minutes on the bike

More stats:
    519 calories
    21.1 distance
    89 RPM
    14 speed

Diet

I have been meaning to post my diet changes.

Strategy: Decrease calories from 3500 to under 2000. Replace or remove regular carbs with slow carbs, aka eat broccoli instead of spaghetti. Normal carbs and ~3500 calories on Saturdays.

What I used to eat
    Breakfast
    - 14oz whole milk latte (12oz whole milk)
    - Cheddar cheese omelet (~2-3oz cheese, 6 egg whites)
    - 2 eggos w/ healthy dose of Mrs. Buttersworths
    - 1 scoop endurox after morning workout (only if a workout)

Lunch
    - 2 natural peanut butter sandwiches on multigrain bread
    - 1 think thin bar (afternoon snack)

Dinner
    - 3 reeses peanut butter cup miniatures
    - 1 scoop endurox after evening workout
    - 1 baked skinless chicken breast
    - ~4oz spaghetti
    - wine/cider/beer

What I eat now

Breakfast
    - 14oz latte (still whole milk)
    - 6 egg whites scrambled with 1-2 Tbls of black bean salsa

Lunch
    - Leftover protein from dinner
    - 1 sandwich bag of raw broccoli

Dinner
    - skinless chicken thigh
    - huge pile of greens, steamed, roasted or sauteed.
    - 1 reeses peanut butter cup miniature.

Dinner's this week:
    - raspberry pepper glazed pork loin with Austrian potato salad (needed to finish up potatoes in the house)
    - shrimp and spinach sauteed in garlic and olive oil (this is a mainstay that is staying)
    - Grandma's steak and roasted broccoli
    - Feta shrimp and roasted green beans
    - chicken on spinach salad (wife was not thrilled that we were having a salad when it was 18 out, but it was tasty)

I was down almost 7 pounds in 6 days this morning, but I have had a cookie, a milkshake, a 2nd latte and a grinder and hope to have some pizza and a bottle of wine for dinner, which should erase 2lbs of that loss.

There is no weight loss goal, I am just cutting weight because I can't lift and I can't swim and my body fat percentage is over 10%.

I have always eaten fairly healthy, but in Nov and Dec dinners and drinking started to get out of hand, especially considering that many practices were canceled and more were skipped. When I get back in the water, I am going to try to keep dinner lower calorie and increase the calories in breakfast and lunch.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -01/11/10 -SCY

by , January 9th, 2010 at 01:08 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:30
    2 X 100 1:45
    2 X 50 faster 1:00
    Three times through

5 X 100 kick 2:30
    Build second 50 of each.

SCY

1 X 300 IM
    Transition swim

1 X 100 IM 145
    3 X 50 1:00
    Swim it 4 times breaking between rounds.
    50's: Round 1:fly
    Round 2:back
    Round 3: breast
    Round 4: 1 of each

1 X 50 easy 1:00
    1 X 50 fast 1:15
    4 X 25 fast :30
    Choice.
    Four times through breaking between rounds.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4300Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts