View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Fortress Locks

by , December 26th, 2009 at 06:57 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Our dear Leslie is thinking of changing her hair color for the 2010 swimming season. In an effort to help her decide which way to go, I asked my brother to put together a sampling of some of the more fetching colors worn by fashionable women this season.

Please vote for your favorite, and provide a rationale in the comments section below.

To make voting easier, simply indicate either:

1. Aquamarine/Scope Mouthwash
    2. Lady Carrot Top
    3. Papal Purple
    4. Scott's Turf Builder

Note: to vote, please visit this thread by clicking here: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=202158#post202158"]Leslie "The Fortress" Hair Color Poll - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

I think the one thing we can all agree is that all of these colors would look great on our Leslie--she really can't go wrong with any of them.

Updated December 26th, 2009 at 07:08 PM by jim thornton

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 12/26: Working on dropping my low rest interval

by , December 26th, 2009 at 04:29 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Lifetime SCM

Warm up
    - 200 free
    - 200 kick moderate with board
    - 200 back
    - 200 free
    Main Set
    - 6x100 on 1:25
    - 1x300 on 5:00 50 back 250 free
    - 5x100 on 1:25
    - 4x100 on 1:25
    - 3x100 on 1:20
    - 2x100 on 1:20
    - 1x100 faster than 1:10, went 1:09
    - 1x300 on 5:00
    Warm down (sorta)
    - 4x150 50 kick hard with snorkle, 100 back ez

5300M total

Didn't swim this morning but in the afternoon. Had my own lane, but I had a couple people "visit" my lane during a fast set and almost get clobbered. I like swimming in the morning because there are less people and there is no bright sun coming in the windows, but the longer workouts have probably benefited from me eating beforehand.

Pool was about 4 inches low today. One of the hot tubs was a brownish green. I am considering looking into a membership at the Community Activity Center, which has some USAS practices and 11 lanes. It is about as close as Lifetime, not much cheaper and not 24x7, so...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Endurance Kick, Sat., Dec. 26

by , December 26th, 2009 at 03:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

Main sets:

5 x 200 kick w/MF & board @ 3:30
    20 pullouts after each 200

50 EZ

8 x 100 @ 1:30 w/fins
    50 backstroke kick/50 backstroke swim, 8 SDK per 25

50 EZ

5 x (5 x 50), done as:

#1-5 = evil w/fins (emphasize long pullouts, hunching and hinging) @ 1:00
    2 minutes vertical kicking (flutter)
    #6-10 = kick w/board done: EZ/fast/EZ/fast/EZ @ 1:10
    2 minutes vertical kicking (dolphin)
    #11-15 = single arm fly @ :50
    #16-20 = double shooters w/fins, 1 breath at turn @ 1:00
    2 minutes vertical kicking (dolphin)
    #21-25 = evil w/fins @ 1:00

100 EZ

Total: 3950 + VK + pullouts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I walked into the Rec Center and saw a sign warning that the pool was only 78-80 degrees b/c of a mechanical problem. Imagine my delight; I thought it would be empty. No such luck; it was pretty packed, but with real swimmers. Still, I had half a lane or a whole lane for my workout. And the pool was more like 80 -- perfect!

Oddly, I didn't feel that rested after a relatively easy workout on Friday and a day off on Saturday. Maybe too much Xmas excitement ...

On another note, I am contemplating becoming a redhead for 2010. I've been blonde forever. A Facebook friend was warning that I might be a faded pinkhead or it could turn orangey. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm consulting my stylist who is a redhead triathlete. Sounds like it could be hard to maintain ...

Xmas Gifts:

I got 2 SR gifts for Xmas: an underwater camera recommended by Q and a parachute. Looking forward to using them. My mother also brought me some pure arnica from Mexico. This is a key ingredient in the Traumeel I occasionally use for muscle pain/inflammation/bruises.

Updated December 26th, 2009 at 04:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Saturday after Christmas

by , December 26th, 2009 at 02:37 PM (My Passion)
    Alarm went off at 5:35 wakng me from so deep a sleep, that it took me a second or two to figure out what was happening. (I usually wake up and jump out of bed).

Practice started at 6 am and this was the workout:

100 free warm-up
    5 X 100 Fly -Kick- left arm - right arm - full fly each 25
    5 X100 Breast -Kick - 50 br drill (2 kick/pull) - full breast
    5 X 75 Back - Kick - drill- full back (last one was 50 full back)
    5 X 100 Free pull

Afterward we went to two (they are married and my running buddies) of our co-swimmers house, and they made us all breakfast. It was delicious.

Had a great day yesterday. My daughter got me an 'Ugly" suit and a cap to match and I am very excited for my current suit to wear out so I can wear my Ugly!

Happy Swimming
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Back to Triathlons and Christmas ramblings

by , December 25th, 2009 at 11:19 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Wednesday's Swim: I did Fort's "12 days of Christmas" workout. There were just a handful of people at this last minute workout. The men decided to do "100's to Failure". I was in the mood for something a bit more upbeat so I talked my lane-mate into this fun workout!

Thursday: I spent the entire day cooking and getting ready for dinner and next morning's brunch. No workout today!

Friday: Merry Christmas! Great fun with family! I ended up taking a 1 hour run in the eve after the kids left for their Dad's Family Christmas.
    All the preparation was well worth the time spent with family and friends!

Marty gave me a carbon fiber custom made Aerocat tri bike for Christmas. He loves to buy bicycles! He accessorized the bike with a computer, Pearl Izumi shorts, a spinning rack?, a couple video workouts to spin to, bike shoes, clips and fancy pedals. I guess I might do some sprint triathlons. I did triathlons 3 years or so in the early '80's. After having 3 kids in 5 years I gave it up and stuck with running only.
    I hope I am worthy of this fast bike and make good use of it. Time will tell.
    My kids got me the "Swimovate" watch. This watch counts laps, records splits, ranks swimming efficiency, times, and records stroke count. This watch could be a handy tool to use while training for my 10K this summer. I was amazed and appreciated the research they did to find this fun and useful toy for me!

I am driving my youngest daughter down to Tampa January 2nd to start College. I ended up taking the whole week off so I can help her get set up and ready to go. She is staying in a condo since student housing is all full. I plan to swim with the St. Pete masters at North Beach Pool whilst I'm there. This is a cool treat for a mid-westerner in January! (even though the practices are at 5 a.m.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Merry Christmas & Mood Tips

by , December 24th, 2009 at 08:31 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Comrades!

Merry Humanist Christmas one and all.

I suspect today's vlog may not be exactly the "big present" you were hoping for.

In fact, it might not even qualify as much of a "stocking stuffer" for those of you whose minds are "right."

However, if somewhere out there in the greater community of swimmers there exists a single seasonally affected soul, and if this solitary seasonally affected soul have already watched ad nauseam Its a Wonderful Night and/or A Christmas Story and/or any of the other innumerably rerun TV shows that are on tonight and tomorrow night and every night for the foreseeable future, it is to you--fellow traveler in this veil of tears!--that I dedicate this brand new Yuletide triple feature.

The first film is a brief introduction by me to the second film, which is an overly long review of some of the current psychiatric literature on mood improvement.

You will note I have left out some of the strategies that have received attention of late, particularly data from the TC-5214 phase 2 trial, which indicated that targeting Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors may prove to be a beneficial augmentation treatment with promise for providing relief to millions of patients who do not respond well to first-line SSRI therapy.

I jest!

Everyone is familiar with that research, so I have concentrated my droning lecture on other findings that are not only of scientific note but which will perhaps prove a little more actionable in the near term for patients like you and me.

The final, and without doubt best, of tonight's triple feature is yet another Christmas mood enhancing charmer by my twin brother John.

I think those of you who live in hot house climes like California, Florida, Texas, and Arizona may find this brisk little glimpse into the world of snow quite refreshing and soul cleansing.

Again, Merry Christmas one and all! And I will not be at all offended if you use my two filmic contributions as a form of sleep aid. I have been told that my haltingly monotonous lecture style may soon attract the attention of regulators at the FDA itself, so powerfully soporific is its influence of listeners.

Turn the lights down low, get under your comforter, click the first film, and....
    You are getting very sleepy....

1. Introduction to Jim's Seasonal Mood Tips for Swimmers:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb8es8vh778"]YouTube- Introduction to Jim's Seasonal Mood Tips for Swimmers[/ame]

2. Jim's Seasonal Mood Tips for Swimmers:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kfa-R_yOS8"]YouTube- Video 17[/ame]

3. Jingle All the Way:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoA3WUda6OU"]YouTube- Snow Day[/ame]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. 12/24: Solo swim

by , December 24th, 2009 at 04:38 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Lifetime SCM

Skipped this morning and felt bad about it. Got out of work early, so I headed to the gym to do a nice easy Tom Pattersonesque workout. Stolen from Patrick Cantrell with some minor mods.

600 swim every 4th back
    400 swim every 4th kick on back
    600 free on 9:00
    400 back on 7:30
    2x300 free on 4:30
    300 IM on 5:30
    3x200 free on 3:00
    200 IM on 4:00
    4x150 free on 2:15
    100 IM on 2:00
    4x150 ( 100 kick 50 back ) on 2:30
    200 easy back/free

5,000M about 1:40
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. The Workout Before Christmas

by , December 24th, 2009 at 04:29 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well the usual 40 mins elliptical and then yoga ball core work

I've lately added in some weights for shoulders on the en of this workout for 2 reasons:
    1) to help with butterfly
    and
    b) to proctect my RC.

I did
    1 set of laterals
    1 set of RC demi laterals with 5lbs
    1 set of rear delt raises
    1 set of tricep extention

Then did some incline bench "swimming" with 2.5lb plates...

Ready for the festivities...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Thursday, Dec. 24

by , December 24th, 2009 at 02:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Everyone else in the family worked out this am, so I happily took the midday slot.

Drylands:

RC Work, 15-20 minutes:

Did: internal and external rotators, prone scapular scrunches, 3 position arm extensions, seated straight arm dips, med ball on the wall and DB shrugs (I'm adding these to my RC routine)

Core Work:

Just did a few exercises:

romanian sit ups, 2 x 15
    dreya roll into jack jump, 2 x 10
    hanging in & outs, 2 x 10 (pull knees up, kick feet out straight, curl knees back and down)
    hanging core swings, 2 x 10 (swing slightly forward using core, knees up high, swing backward using core, heels up as high as possible)
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    straight leg hip lifts on bench, 2 x 15

10-15 minutes of stretching

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

500 variety

Main set: (from J. Miller)

4 x 75 free @ 1:20
    1 x 25 fast, shooter on belly
    4 x 75 back @ 1:30, 9 SDK per 25
    2 x 25 fast, shooters on back
    4 x 75 evil w/fins @ 1:30*
    3 x 25 fast, dolphin kick w/snorkle
    4 x 75 single arm fly drill @ 1:30
    4 x 25 fast @ :30, flutter kick w/board & fins

* Swimming with evil with fins and working on long pullouts is like a breath control set. I only take 3-4 breaths per length. Evil is exhausting.

50 dolphin dive

Total: 2050 meters

short hottub & steam

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!
  10. Thursday Dec 24th 2009

by , December 24th, 2009 at 01:00 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thursday Dec 24th 2009

Subscribe to this Blog

SCM relay records updated

thanks to everyone who follows my blog, I try to do things in practice that are blog worthy, so I'll have something interesting to write about

yesterday I came back to the noon practice & did a double. did a fast 100 fr & some fast flutter kicking
    went 51 or 2 & went 1:05 & 1:03 on my 100's flutter kick
    swam with
    Larry, Paul, Kendall &
    Asa Lawrence, Mary's brother, he swam for UT when I did

Lifted weights at world gym

swam this morning at Stacy pool
    easy went around 500

2010 MEETS:

January 15 – 18, 2010
    2010 ST TXLA New Years Classic
    Austin, TX

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX

April 9 -11
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    The Woodlands, TX

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events

Updated December 26th, 2009 at 12:50 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  11. 12/23: PM Weights

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 08:45 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Warm ups was 45x1x5 before starting the working set.

135x5x5 deadlift
    116x(1x4,1x3,1x2) shoulder press*
    90x5x5 bent over row

* I looked back at my log and noticed I failed at 115.5, so I need to repeat there.

I wasn't mentally there tonight. Shoulder press was... interesting. 115lbs is my max 5x5 for shoulder press, and that is a new PB set a week or two before I got sick.

Legs very sore still from squats Monday. Need to roll them.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Weights

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 08:15 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Too tired today to attempt a brutal practice with the kids. Decided to do weights instead and was surprised that I felt stronger than I did the other day, even going up 5 pounds on the bench press.

Warm-up: 5 minutes on gauntlet

Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 5, 3 sets of 90 x 5

Lat pull-down: 2 sets of 90 x 5, 3 sets of 140 x 5

Incline sit-ups with 12 pound med ball: 2 sets of 25

Leg lifts (in captain's chair): 2 sets of 25

1 set of 100 bicycle crunches

1 set of 50 good-morning darlings

Military press: 2 sets of 40 x 8

Alt. hammer curls: 2 sets of 15 x 8
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. 12/23/09

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 07:44 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Simple workout today
    3 x 100
    3 x 50 3 BR-3 FLY
    1x 50 FLY

Then all free on 1:40/100 pace int.
    4 x 50 cool down

45minutes weights...chins, pulls, leg press/calves, leg extn, leg cur, adductor/abductor, pullover machine, crunch machine, bench press machine, pec-dec...
    3 sets of each 10-12 rep
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. P90X Day, Wed., Dec. 23

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 05:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I picked my Mom up at the airport last night very late. Didn't have the heart to leave her to go to the gym or pool today. So instead I made her exercise with me some at home.

P90X Core Synergistics, 60 minutes

Exercises include:

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/exerc...ergistics/9917

I didn't do the chataranga planks or the walking push ups and instead did 1:00 of bicycles, good morning darlings and dead bugs during that part of the DVD.

My Mom did pretty well. Lil lil Fort joined in too. She has no balance, but she loves superman bananas.

P90X Plus Interval X:
    40 minute DVD; I did 20 minutes

This is the DVD for Crazyman!

It's somewhat similar to a tabata workout. You do 1:00 of 15 exercises. You are supposed to do 20 seconds easy, 20 seconds medium, and 20 seconds fast. Since I had just done Core Synergistics, I skipped the medium and just did 40 seconds of slow recovery. The exercises included running in place, burpees, pushups, various kinds of squats, plyo lunges, plyo jacks, side step-kick combos, etc. I look forward to doing the second half another time.

I'm hoping to get to the pool tomorrow late am for a quickie workout. We'll see ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Triple today

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 04:54 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Wednesday, 12/23/09

As I will spend the holiday eating and drinking too much and lying around doing nothing, I am doing a triple today. Swim in the morning, spinning at noon and a short run after work.

Morning swim:
    400 swim free
    4 x 100 kick choice w/10 sec. rest

swim 12 x 100:
    1-3 free
    4-6 IM, take 5 sec. rest at each 25
    7-9 pull free breathe on 3
    10-12 back, work the walls and the stroke range

100 easy

Total: 2100 meters

Noon:
    40 minute spinning class at the gym

Evening Workout:
    Lifting 12 oz weights at the Stray Dog.

Updated December 23rd, 2009 at 07:35 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -12/24/09 -SCY

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 03:14 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    Christmas Eve Workout.

LCM

WARM UP:
    1 X 300 5:15
    6 X 50 1:00
    1 X 200 3:30
    6 X 50 1:00
    1 X 100 1:45
    6 X 50 :50

2 X 200 kick 5:00

8 X 50 kick w/fins 1:20
    25 underwater/25 back

4 X 50 moderate 1:05
    1 X 150 fast 3:00
    Four times through, all choice.

1 X 800 pull
    Descend by 200's

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4700M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Sunrise workout Wednesday morning

This morning was warmer, and I was rewarded for getting to the pool early by a gorgeous sunrise during my warmup first set. I swam backstroke as much as I could to watch it.

The pool was set up SCY. We had a group of 3 masters swimmers, all visiting this area (from the Bay area, Cincinnati, and New York). We each contributed a set to the workout, and had a fun time together. Here’s what we did:

400 warmup

Pyramid set: 100 FR, 200 IM, 300 Pull, 400 Swim Choice, then 400-300-200-100 (same on way down)

The Math Set (this was my contribution):
    21 x 50 @ 1:00; all free EXCEPT multiples of 3 are BR, multiples of 4 are BK, and multiples of 7 are FL. If a number is a multiple of 2 of the above (like 12), the stroke that falls earlier in the IM trumps the stroke that falls later in the IM. [I sprinted into and out of the wall and worked the turn on all of these. I first came across this set when I played polo; it seems to be designed to distract polo players from the fact that they're actually swimming laps. If we had wanted to make things more complicated this morning with this set, we could have done prime numbers as kick, but we stuck to the basics.]

4 x 150 pull @ 2:10

Then since I wasn’t quite ready to get out of the pool, I did

2 x (100 FR @ 1:30, 50 K @ 1:00, 100 IM @ 1:30, 50 K @ 1:00)

200 IM kick

250 WD

This pool is closed for the next 3 days; I might check out the pool at my gym during that time.

Hoping to squeeze in weights today between wrapping and decorating and cooking!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Wednesday Dec 23rd 2009

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 10:47 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wednesday Dec 23rd 2009

Arrived late, wife wanted to talk

Subscribe to this Blog

RESULTS from the Nov San Antonio SCM meet are up

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy (pool was set up long course!)
    Whitney coached
    6:30 - 8:00
    main pool
    swam with Mike, ned, jon, tyler, todd, brandon, Amy & everyone on the team
    dove in around 6:55

WORE B70 Legs

warm up
    missed

main set
    4 rounds of
    5 x 100 fast on 2:00
    4 x 50 fast on 1:15 one each stroke
    100 easy

round 1) missed the 5 x 100 used 4 x 50 to warm up
    round 2) swam free held 58's & 9's
    round 3) flutter kicked, went under 1:15
    round 4) flutter kicked desc 1, 3, 5, skipped 2 & 4, went 1:06

100 FAST
    went 55

2010 MEETS:

January 15 – 18, 2010
    2010 ST TXLA New Years Classic
    Austin, TX

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX

April 9 -11
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    The Woodlands, TX

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. 12/23: Team Practice

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 09:32 AM (Random Nonsense)
    The Colony scy

12 Days of Christmas. Most people were off, but Lazy Wife and I had to work, so we combined the first 5 days of warm up into a straight 500, and I kept the rest to a minimum. Lazy wife didn't like my intervals, so we split the lane most of practice.

Warm up
    - 500 free
    Transition
    - 5x50 :40 kick w/fins and board
    - 6x50 :40 free
    - 7x50 :40 kick w/fins on back
    - 8x25 :25 free down, back back
    - 9x50 :40 paddles and buoy
    - 10x25 :20 swim w/fins FAST, probably held :12s
    - 11x50 :40 breath control, ignored that
    Warm down
    - 12x25 smooth, did back/free ez
    - 4x25 extra waiting for Lazy Wife

Total 3250 yards

Did not sleep well the last two nights. Wanted to skip but skipping practice when I am not sleeping well is a waste. Felt stiff getting in but much looser after practice.

Updated December 23rd, 2009 at 10:49 AM by qbrain

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Pool set up for LCM today

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 09:24 AM (My Passion)
    Practice at 5 am and pool was suprisingly set up for LCM. Nice change of pace. Stretched and then:

1X500 free warm up
    4X200 free on 3 minutes
    5X100 free
    cool down
    Christmas breakfast with the team

Total of 1800 meters in 30 minutes.

Today I will be attending a memorial service for a 46 year-old divorced dad of two little girls (he was going to have them for Christmas this year) killed in a motorcycle accident Friday evening. A truck pulled out in front of him. He was on a Honda Gold Wing and wearing a helmet. If you ride a motorcycle PLEASE be careful!!!! Other vehicles don't always see you and you have no protection around you if you do get in an accident.
    Those litle girls will always remember that their dad died the week before Christmas - waaaaay too soon.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts