View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Day 2 NE Champs

by , December 14th, 2009 at 01:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    For Sunday, I did have 3 secret goals and I got them all. First, I wanted to go faster in the 50 fly than last year when my time trial was thrown out. Second, I had one stretch goal of going under 1:10 in the 100 back. And, third, I wanted to do a fast 50 evil split and possibly make top ten in that event. Here's how it went:

50 fly, 29.6

This was my first head to head race against KPN. We were in lanes 5 and 6. She got me on the start and breakout. I caught up in the second length and had a great last 15 yards. Couldn't see the wall clearly and short stroked the finish. She got me by .08. Cheryl Kupan said I should have glided in and would have won. Greg Shaw said it wasn't clear. I have trouble picking up the wall when I'm not breathing and my head's down. But I was super happy with the time. Hopefully, Q won't be disappointed as he instructed me to be mid 29.

100 back, 1:09.5:

I always get nervous swimming 100 back in SCM b/c it's so much longer and painful. But I just reminded myself to go out faster and kick. I think I executed pretty well. Earlier this year, I went 1:10.9, going out in 34.9 and back in 36.0. This time, I went out in 33.5 and came back in the same time. So my entire improvement came from not dogging the first 50. I pretty much stuck to my kick pattern, except that I jammed the second turn, was way too close to the wall, and had trouble getting into kick mode. So I SDK'd 14-13-10-10 per 25. I was really happy with my time as my one stretch goal for this meet was to go under 1:10 and it's a 1.4 second improvement. Comparatively, I went 1:13.9 at the meet in 2007. The SDK work has paid off and I feel like I redeemed myself after that sub par cramp filled 100 back at LCM Nats.

50 breast, 37.6:

I submitted a split request and did the 50 evil as part of the 100 evil. I rocked my pullouts, had good breakouts and hit the pad at 37.6. I was so psyched! I was hoping for a high 38. So this was a huge surprise. A friend just pointed out that this is currently the #1 time in the nation in my age group. Shocker. lol Chris S. said I was fairly close to the 15 meter mark on my first pullout. The less evil stroking, the better! I think this roughly converts to a 33.5, so this is .6 faster than my Zone Record in the 50 evil from last April.

I may retire from evil after the suits are gone, however. I think they help me on evil relatively more than other strokes because I have such a weak breaststroke kick. I discussed this with Mike Ross and Mike Schmidt of ME masters. Mike S. improved his IMs by doing 500 yards of evil kicking in practice. Breaststroke is such an exhausting power stroke that it seems the only way to improve is doing more of it.

I am slightly worried about my split request though, as I don't see the split listed in the results. I hope this is just a printing error, as everyone saw my time on the scoreboard and I clearly hit the pads hard. I have sent an email.

50 free, 28.2:

I was very tired, but decided to give the 50 free another go, as I missed the turn on Saturday. Same result: had a lousy turn again and did the same time. I just can't pick up the bulkhead at this pool for free. Still, for my 7th swim of a two day meet, this was a good time. I didn't have any energy left for a 100 free anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I was thrilled to do 6 PBs. If I could have one do over it might be 50 back. I would have loved to go 30.9. But that is really nit picking, as 31.1. is very speed and likely comparable to my 27.9 in yards and 31.99 in meters.

I may use Chris' ratings calculator later to see what my percentages are. Just have too much to do right now. And, predictably, I'm very tired from the meet. I will not be hitting the pool today. Just resting. And back to the shopping.

Updated December 14th, 2009 at 09:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  2. Monday Dec 14th 2009

by , December 14th, 2009 at 10:16 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Monday Dec 14th 2009

Sunday Lifted Weights but Did not swim

check top times

Longhorn Masters Christmas Holiday Schedule
    Mon. Dec 21st 6:30-8 am; 12-1:15 pm
    Tues. Dec 22nd 6:30-8 am; 5:30-6:45 pm
    Wed. Dec 23rd 6:30-8 am; 12-1:15 pm
    Thurs-Sat Dec 24-26 OFF
    Sun. Dec 27th 12-1:15 pm
    Mon. Dec 28th 6:30-8 am; 12-1:15 pm
    Tues. Dec 29th 6:30-8 am; 5:30-6:45 pm
    Wed. Dec 30th 6:30-8 am; 12-1:15 pm
    Thurs. Dec 31st 6:30-8 am; 5:30-6:45 pm
    Fri. Jan 1st 12-1:30 pm(only 1)
    Sat. Jan 2nd 7:30-9am
    Sun. Jan 3rd 12-1:15 pm

return to normal schedule Mon. Jan 4th
    mornings will be 6:30 - 8am Mon - Fri (at least until MLK day)

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Whitney coached
    5:30 - 7:00
    Main Pool north end,
    swam with nate, Brandon, Tyler & Brad
    Next to todd, doug Amy & Ned
    dove in on time

wore brief

1000 warm up 8 rounds of 100 fr 25 stroke

8 x 100 on 1:15

400 IM

8 x 75 on :55

300 IM

8 x 50 on :35

200 IM

8 x 25 on 17.5

100 IM

assigned 2 x 500
    1) moderate, stop rest 30 sec
    2) 30 seconds faster
    Did 10 x 50 K on around 1:10
    held 35's

50 easy

2010 MEETS:

January 15 Ė 18, 2010
    2010 ST TXLA New Years Classic
    Austin, TX

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX

April 9 -11
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    The Woodlands, TX

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Long Course for the holidays..

by , December 14th, 2009 at 07:23 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    For the holiday season the kids teams request long course setup which I love but it always sends me into distance mode. Oh well.

500 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins
    500 Free w/paddles & bouy
    5x100@2:00 Free kick w/fins moderate pace
    5x100@2:00 Breast pull w/fins getting the dolphin motion
    5x100@2:00 Free w/snorkle
    500 Free every 3rd lap Breast

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Day 1 NE SCM Champs

by , December 13th, 2009 at 11:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    NE Champs, Day 1:

Had an easy trip to Boston and even slept decently Friday night! Had a good Saturday, going 3 PBs:

100 IM, 1:11.5

Last year, I went a 1:11.8 at Rutgers (which was a very huge and unexpected drop). This year, I improved .3 on that. Since I only swim the 100 IM twice a year and don't swim it in practice, I'm happy with the time, though not the execution. My "plan" had been to improve on my second 50. (Last year, I was out in 32.7.) Er, I didn't really do this. This year, I was out in 31.9 and totally died on free. (Ande will say this is pathetic when he reads this.) My freestyle seems to fall apart when I'm tired. Chris S. noted that my turnover looked like I was swimming a 400 IM instead of a 100 IM ... lol. He also noted, as I have mentioned before, that my breakout on fly was a bit rocky. I'm not sure how to fix this without going off the blocks more ... I felt like this was a bit of a "getting the cobwebs out" swim, as is common for me on the first event of a meet.

To improve in this event, I need to do 3 thing according to me and Coach Ahelee: (1) work on turns; (2) swim the 100 IM more than once in SCY and SCM; and (3) swim 100 IMs in practice. One year, I'll actually focus on this event. But, hey, a PB is a PB!

50 back, 1st place, 31.1:

Last year, I went 31.7. I was seeded first here in Boston, and really hoped to win. And I did, coming in at 31.1! .6 drop -- which is a big drop in a 50. Probably due to better underwaters. I felt a little bouncy above water. Stud took a video of this race, so hopefully I'll post that soon.

50 free, 28.2

Best time! Last year, I went 28.5. However, I had difficulty on the bulkhead. I went into the turn just a touch behind the leaders and came out 2/3 of a body length behind. Completely blew the turn, too far from the wall. This is somewhat SOP for me on bulkheads. I can only think of 1 50 free in short course where I have nailed the turn on a bulkhead (Auburn where I went 24.9 in SCY). Otherwise, as Wolfy has noted, I'm a bit challenged in this area. This led me to think I may boycott short course 50 frees. Why bother with a flip turn? Long course 50 free is so much better. But, again, I am always happy with a PB and will take it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I had a fun day at the meet. Stud attended and was burning up the water. A highlight for me was loaning him my uber stretched out B70, which he used for his 200 evil and 50 free. He had previously swum the 50 evil in his cute British flag brief and gone a PB. I video'd all 3 of his races and took pics. So hopefully I'll get those up soon. Or maybe he'll even put them on his blog. He really swam extremely well, and I'm proud of him. Couple pics attached.

I got to meet forumites Gigi and Swimmer Girl KT, who are both lovely and fast. (Thank you, Gigi, for helping me with my cap.) Re-met Greg Shaw, who is not only a fly stud, but the nicest guy ever. Mike Ross and I discussed sprinting, weight lifting, backstroke and joining Maine Masters. (He and Mike Schmidt (who is sooo nice) and Son N. seem to be recruiting. Wow, did they have a big contingent here.) I got to see Chris rip off some very fast times/WRs sans B70. And I scored some ultra swag from Rob Butcher -- two awesome dry fit USMS short sleeved collared shirts. He says more forumites must come to his meets to collect swag.

On the whole, the BU pool is fast and it's warm on the pool deck. But the bulkhead, with all those Xs before the turn, confounds me. Glad I'm not really a pure freestyler. I think I have a slight preference for the Rutgers pool where they hosted CZ in 2007 and 2008. But I didn't have any outside lanes, so that was good.

Good first day, happy with all my times. My turnover, however, felt a bit off. Stud noticed this on the 50 free too. I wonder if this was due to easing off on the sprinting too much during taper? Or maybe I have more power/less turnover from lifting? I did feel like I was getting off the blocks quickly and had power on non-free turns. If I had to do it over again, I might do more fast 12.5s and 25s the last 2 weeks. And I need to practice more race pace turns.

I went out to dinner with Stud and some friends from Maine Masters (can I say I adore and admire Cheryl Kupan for her grace and toughness?). Then slept like crap last night, tossing and turning from 3-7. Par for the course after caffeine. I swam better on day 2, but am too tired to write that up right now, having just gotten back from Boston.

Does anyone remember that I commented long ago that the compression tights and socks sold in tri/bike stores would find a use in swimming? Well, they have! KPN puts them on after meets and while traveling to reduce muscle fatigue. She had a fantastic meet BTW.

On an allergy note, I stopped at Whole Foods to get some dinner on the way to my hotel on Friday night. Not sure what I ate, either the WF salads (biryani salad/w veggies and a bean salad) or a gluten-free granola bar with soy and possible milk. But I had a huge hive attack that night. Not cool. The rice krispie bars with malt didn't bother me at all. Thank goodness! I was very hungry before my last event both days. And I was lusting after pizza when Chris ate some in front me me today. I'm also lusting after his cool Kindle ereader device!

Updated December 14th, 2009 at 10:50 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010833.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	6322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010834.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	6323  
  5. The Holiday Schedule

My pool just posted the schedule for the holidays -- December 24 - January 3. Yes, it will be open every day, including Christmas and New Year's Day (short hours Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Years' Day, but open). So I never need to miss a day becuse of the holidays.

But here's the weird thing -- it'll be at 50 meters the entire time; no short course at all.

The pool is usually set with two 25 yard courses. Even in the summer (aka long course season), the management only sets the pool at 50 meters three nights a week.

So I'm trying to understand the thought process behind solid long course swimming in he middle of short course season. (The fact that I don't really like long course has nothing to with it -- we'll only a little.)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. FEED STICK

I've been planning to construct a feed stick since I saw them employed at the NYC Pro-swim this past summer. It was the first time I saw them up close enough and was able to identify the components necessary for a durable and effective unit that will travel well. A google search for "swivel cup holder" came up with several units that are intended for limiting spillage of beverages mounted on everything from baby strollers to motorcycles to bass boats. The list of retailers was frightening and included Target and Gander Mountain... both have stores in nearby Kingston. I started at the dreaded Target... the first person sent me to housewares, housewares sent me to the baby dept, baby to automotive.... a discount shoppers purgatory, and no positive results.

I stopped next at Gander Mountain and found myself somewhat unprepared for display of things stuffed with menacing expressions... (and there were animals in there too). Could someone explain the reasoning behind camo fishing gear? Its not that I wasn't aware of the existence of such a sub-culture (if I may toss the word "culture" around so loosely), but to be in an enclosed space with dozens of people that consider day-glow orange the new black and enough ammo to eliminate every living thing in the county made me feel a bit out of place. Well anyway, they had the swivel cup holders I was looking for, and as I paid for them with a cc, I'm sure my name will be added to the Ulster County Militia's mailing list.

Next stop: a big sporting goods store for a "golf ball retriever". I found a 12' extension pole with a little loop on the end. I don't mind admitting that the golfing section weirded me out as much as Gander Mountain.

Tomorrow I'll round up some bits of hardware and put it all together for some trial sessions at the pool later this week.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Sunday morning workout with team

Today I signed up for the One Hour Swimónot the national event, which needs no pre-registration, but our teamís annual extravaganza. The team event is coordinated with the national eventóitís done in January, and results and split sheets are sent inóbut our event is also done as a fund-raiser for local charities. This year we are hoping to raise $50,000. The swim itself will be done on 2 separate days, using the entire pool and running 9 heats of swimmers (2 per lane) per day. Many people hang out for several hours swimming then counting and socializing (refreshments are served). From now through January, most of our workouts are geared towards training for the event.

When I first started swimming with this team, I resisted the pressure to participate in this whole OHS shindig. Itís not my favorite event to swim or to train for. But over the years the event has grown on me. It is cool to hang out with friends, and to watch teammates who have trained really hard achieve their goals. And I enjoy being a part of a team that comes together to do good in the community. Sometimes I still wish that all this was focused around something other than swimming for an hour nonstop, but it isnít, so I will train and swim the event this year alongside my teammates. Iím signed up for the 8am heat on January 31st, and I hope to go 4500 yards or better.

Hereís the workout I did with the team today:

500 warmup

3 x 200 FR @ 2:50

4 x 25 IM order @ :40
    3 x 50 FR @ :40
    4 x 75 FR @ :60
    3 x 100 FR @ 1:25
    4 x 25 IM order @ :40

5 x 300:
    #1= alt K/S by 25
    #2= alt K/S by 50
    #3-5=Swim @ 4:15, 4:10, 4:05

12 x 75:
    odds FL/BK/BR @ 1:15
    evens FR @ 1:05

50 WD

Mr. Addict (first name: Running) just got back from some crazy 15K cross-country race in the freezing rain. BRRR! It makes me glad I'm a swimmer!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Meet Report: Intergalactic Championships Christmas Relays

by , December 12th, 2009 at 04:33 PM (Random Nonsense)
    This was a fun meet. Lots of people showed up, and I think we won the meet, which is pretty impressive since the host team has a bigger team. I didn't see a couple of their fastest swimmers, but they did have, I believe, 3 National/World record holding swimmers on the same relay once or twice.

And winning the meet was important, because it meant we got the most candy!

I swam the fly on the Men's 200 Medley, the right hand side of the couples relay, the third leg and relay captain of the equipment relay, the back in the mixed 200 Medley and finally, the 3rd leg of the mixed 200 free relay.

The only split I know is a 31 low leading off the mixed medley. I am really happy with that time, but I am sure if I went and looked it up, it isn't all that fast. Our breaststroker also went a 31 low, which I am sure is pretty fast. We are trying to figure out if he actually swam for UT...

I ate lots of candy after the meet, and an orange. First and second place got their choice fruit or candy...

Now off to the Christmas part for lot of more healthy eating.

Temper tantrum 200 (from Friday USAS Meet)

The pool was great for swimmers and sucked for spectators, there was NO deck space. So I stayed in the water, probably did 1500 easy, a start to check my googles were adjusted, a few turns in the competition end of the pool and another 500. All just trying to stay in the water until my heat, which didn't quite work out. It was 1:45 from when I got into the water to when I raced, which is great, but a little to long to try to just float in a competition temperature pool. I was very loose, but I don't think that was the best warm up. I needed less yardage, at a harder pace closer to the race. I did a lot of yardage at an ultra easy pace.

There were two weird things about the race. I was seeded second, and the guy seeded first stopped at the 150. Didn't affect me, but it did go through my head, where did that guy go? The second thing is that the guys behind the blocks, a father son team, had me down over a second and a half faster than the touch pads. Because of this gap, I actually waited until the official results were posted to make sure what I saw on the scoreboard was the real time. It was.

The plan 27.9x, 29.9x, 29.9x, 29.9x
    The race 28.09, 30.91, 31.25, 30.57
    59.00/61.82
    2:00.82

I kicked the entire way, which was good. I didn't kick hard enough long enough, since I still had legs at the end of the race.

I went out a little too slow and let it drop off too much between the first and second 50s ending up at a speed that was not optimal for the back half.

I also felt the pain in my shoulders and tris at the end of the 3rd 50, which is bad. This really tells me that I am swimming too much arms and not enough back. Correcting this would allow me to maintain a faster pace the entire race without dying. It also tells me I should be doing more lactic tolerance stuff. On the 4th 50 I started pulling with my back more, but not the best time for a stroke change.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Another Saturday with the girls

by , December 12th, 2009 at 04:17 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    We had an easy workout today, just the normal Saturday workout.

500 Free as 100 swim/pull/swim/kick/swim
    40x25 as 10 of each stroke various drills
    5x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy went 1:20, 1:20, 1:19, 1:18, 1:16
    200 Free Easy

Total 2200 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Saturday Dec 12th 2009

by , December 12th, 2009 at 12:43 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Saturday Dec 12th 2009

check top times

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Whitney coached
    6:00 - 7:20
    Main Pool south end, both bulkheads down
    swam with erin and paul next to nate, jon, & tyler
    dove in around 6:05

wore brief

board said 5 x 1000

assigned 1000
    DID 5 X (100 FR, REST 50, 25 SDK no breath, 25 easy )

5 x 200

assigned 1000
    did 750

assigned 2 x 500
    did 5 x 150

20 x 50
    4 on 35
    1 on 1:10

2010 MEETS:

January 15 – 18, 2010
    Austin, TX

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX

April 9 -11
    The Woodlands, TX

May 20 - 23, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events

Updated December 12th, 2009 at 08:23 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Last practice for a week

by , December 12th, 2009 at 09:35 AM (My Passion)
    So - Friday was a hard workout. We warmed up with a 100, then did 10 X 200 IMs with 30 seconds rest. The Asthma part of it was hard. My breathing was really taxed, but it was a fun workout. I did an easy 200 cool-down.

Today I swam a 300 warm-up with M.O.S.T. Then we did:
    6X50 free - switch to back, back flip turn, switch back to free 1/2 way down the pool
    6X50 choice - I did free working on some pointers that the coach had given me.
    we then did the 12 days of Christmas - it went like this - starting with 12 laps, then 11, etc.:

300 IM
    275 free pull
    250 free
    225 back
    200 fly
    175 breast
    150 kick (I did breast kick)
    5 Deep Bobs Feet first (We went to the bottom of the pool, got down to a swuat, then pushed up to the top with arms at sides )
    100 reverse IM
    75 sculling
    50 water polo stroke
    25 - no breath
    25 to get to the other end of the pool

A really fun workout - I was able to do almost the whole 75 fly in the IM (my fly is weak) - I did a drill fly during the 200

It was a really fun workout with really fun people and a good way to start the day.

No organized swimming for a week - I'll report why when I return. Until then:

Happy Swimming
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Good workout to finish out the week

by , December 12th, 2009 at 01:23 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    I'm only swimming 3x a week right now, but for some reason I don't understand, I feel pretty good in the water. Here is the workout I did today:

250 warm-up

100 breast on 2:00
    6 x 50 breast on 1:00
    10 x 25 breast on :45 - last 4 are kick

500 free - DPS and good form
    10 x 50 on 1:15 - Held 30 or better
    20 x 25 free on :40 - 1-4 are kick, 5-8 are breathe every 3, 9-12 are breathe every 5, 13-16 are heads-up, last 4 are 4 breaths, 3 breaths, 2 breaths, and 1 breath

2 x 100 I.M. - fast but with good form - 1:30 rest between each

200 easy

2800 yards

Updated December 12th, 2009 at 01:41 AM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Meet Report: December USAS SCY BB Meet

by , December 11th, 2009 at 10:09 PM (Random Nonsense)
    I still suck at the 200 free.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. FAST Fri Dec 11th 2009 DOUBLE

by , December 11th, 2009 at 09:26 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST Fri Dec 11th 2009

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

NOON to 1:15
    Tyler coached
    Main Pool bulkheads & blocks
    swam with max, larry, jon, & james fike
    dove in around 12:0

wore ripped B70 full

WARM UP
    missed

Main Set:

6 x 50 fr FAST on 1:30
    held 25's

assigned 300
    did 3 x 50

assigned 6 x 50 on 1:30
    did 3 x 50 k went 23.6 on #3

assigned 200
    did 2 x 50
    did 3 x 50

assigned 6 x 50 on 1:30 odds free fast evens choice
    DID: 3 x 50 SDK fast desc
    went 23.8 on #3

assigned 200
    did 2 x 50

rested 15 minutes

50 SDK
    tyler timed
    went 23.1

went 50 easy

2010 MEETS:

January 15 – 18, 2010
    Austin, TX

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX

April 9 -11
    The Woodlands, TX

May 20 - 23, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events

Updated December 11th, 2009 at 10:31 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -12/14/09 -SCY

by , December 11th, 2009 at 04:21 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    2 X 250 4:15
    4 X 100 1:30
    2 X 150 2:15
    4 X 75 1:15
    Descend 75's 1-4

3 X 200 kick 4:30
    50 moderate/50 fast

8 X 125 IM 2:15
    Rotate 50's of each stroke.

6 X 100 1:30
    4 X 100 1:25
    2 X 100 1:20
    Swim the set twice. No break.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5700Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -12/12/09 -SCY

by , December 11th, 2009 at 04:17 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    2 X 200 3:20 3:00
    2 X 100 1:40 1:30
    2 X 50 :50 :45
    Swim it two times.
    Round 1:left
    Round 2: right

6 X 50 kick 1:10
    8 X 25 kick *fast, no board* :40

1 X 50 easy free 1:00
    1 X 50 stroke *build* 1:00
    4 X 25 stroke * fast* :40
    Four times through. Swim 1 round of each stroke.
    Short break between rounds.

1 X 100 moderate
    1 X 50 fast
    1 X 100 moderate
    2 X 50 fast
    1 X 100 moderate
    3 X 50 fast
    1 X 100 moderate
    4 X 50 fast
    4 X 50 WARM DOWN
    All 100's on 2:00
    All 50's on 1:00
    Choice.

3800Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Long Beach Grunion's Holiday Invitational

by , December 11th, 2009 at 02:38 PM (My non-workout blog and random thoughts)
    I'm very pleased to report that this was my 10th Holiday Invitational at the Belmont Olympic Plaza pool. For the last decade, I have flown from New Mexico to Southern California for the final meet of the year. If you have not gone to this meet, it is very well organized and run. It was the largest SCM meet in US and many Grunion volunteers and officials worked very hard to successfully run this fantastic event.

One of my goals for this year was to reset the mens 55-59 age group backstroke records. For the first time in my 44 year old swimming career, I did reset the 50, 100 and 200 meter short course meters world and American records. These swims were done in a full length Blue Seventy. I feel justified in my belief that my 50 and 100 meter swims were the best. The former record holder for the 50 swam his race in a B70. For the 100, I was one second faster than Tim Birnie's old record. Tim swam his time before the advent of the swim skin and I have heard estimates that the swim skins provide about half a second per 50. In the 200, I was 1.2 seconds faster than Jim McConica's mark, but his swim was performed before the B70. I know because I swam next to him when he broke the mark (and we were both in fast skins). So I can't fully justify the 200 backstroke mark and would like to give Jim the credit. He is a great swimmer, an Olympian, a member of the swimming hall of fame and the driving force for building the Ventura County aquaplex.

If you have read my previous posts, you may know that suffered a significant personal tragedy - my partner of 10 years and the person I thought I would spend the rest of my life with, decided to cheat and then ended our relationship one week prior to a major swim meet in Toronto. I had high hopes for that meet (to reset a number of SCM age group records). She seemed to time the announcement and betrayal to maximize the amount of suffering. And she was very successful. I lost 15 pounds in that week and was exhausted during the entire meet. Fortunately, the good lord opens other doors -I made friends with both Karlyn Pipes and Don Graham - who sheparded me through the most difficult meet of my life.

Now - after my performance at Long Beach (and at National Senior Games at Stanford this summer), I finally feel that I have accomplished some of my personal goals and thus, regained my self respect. My message is that swimming can help you overcome major life tradegies and that the friends that you make thru swimming will be there to support you.

I've stayed in contact with Karlyn over this year and as I have said before in my blog, she is a really wonderful person. You may read about her amazing swimming accomplishments and be somewhat jealous, but let me tell you, she is much, much more than just a famous name. She is the real deal - she has a great heart and a great mind and embodies what a masters champion swimmer should be. If you get a chance to participate in one of her clinics, you should! She really knows swimming and she really understands the psychology of a champion athlete.

Back to Long Beach - it was great hanging out with the Mud Sharks - Eric, Billy (goat), Don and Doug. It was great to see Cokie is swimming fast and building a great team. It was good to see Lucy Johnson - the original meet director. I had a chance to talk to Jim McConica after my 200 back and express my admiration for his championing the sport of swimming. It was wonderful to see Ande and Jeff swim so bloody fast. They are great guys out of the water and very willing to share their knowledge of swimming.

I met a number of fellow masters swimmers - Bob Strand - who is absolutely one of the funniest swimmers on the planet. Gotta love his joy and energy. I made friends with a number of Rice swimmers (Rick Kammerer - a fellow backstroker) and with a number of Manatees (Allan, Juliet and Sarah - but missed seeing the fastest moustache in masters swimming - Jim Clemmons).

I've already organized our crazy holiday swim - 111 x 100 @ 1:45 - and passed out invitations to the local teams, the high school and as many masters as are in the area. I don't know how many takers we will get, but it should be fun - as long as I don't mis-count.

My plans for 2010: Atlanta, Puerto Rico (everybody I've talked to wants to go to the PR (and PR)). And of course, Long Beach.

Finally, my brother, who held the 50-54 age group record in the 400 IM for about a week, should be pleased that his 200 breast stroke record should hold up for this year. To the best of my knowledge, we are the only two brothers to have simultaneously be in the USMS record books - and in the same age group. That is, until Long Beach. A fantastic swimmer - Jamie Fowler, rewrote a number of records in the backstroke and IM - and I no longer hold the 50 backstroke record (in the 50-54 age group).

Best wishes for the holidays!

See you in the water...
    Philipp (aka Phishy)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Fast Fri Dec 11th 2009

by , December 11th, 2009 at 11:17 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST Fri Dec 11th 2009

Added:
    1) links to a few race videos & each event results long beach post
    2) Up coming Meets (below)

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

6:30 - 8:00
    Whitney coached
    SCY UT Swim Center
    diving well
    swam with Brandon, Amy, Ned, Nate, Tyler, & Todd,
    dove in around 5:35

wore ripped B70 full

WARM UP
    2 rounds of
    200 fr, 100 k, 200 fr

Main Set:

6 x 50 on 1:30
    odds free fast went 26's
    evens choice I did SDK went 30, 27, 26

assigned 300
    did 3 x 50

6 x 50 on 1:30
    odds free fast went 26's
    evens choice I did SDK went 27, 26, 26

assigned 300
    did 3 x 50

went 24 on #3

assigned 300
    did 3 x 50

went 24 on #3

2010 MEETS:

January 15 Ė 18, 2010
    Austin, TX

March 4 - 6, 2010
    Austin Grand Prix
    Austin, TX

April 9 -11
    The Woodlands, TX

May 20 - 23, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events

Updated December 11th, 2009 at 12:07 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Long Course..... Yeah!

by , December 11th, 2009 at 07:50 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    This morning I got in my distance mode. I saw long course and the first swim I thought of doing is 500 Fly w/fins! So, I did it again.

400,300,200,100@:15R Free
    500 Free kick w/fins moderate pace
    500 Fly w/fins in 8:48 felt good but was slower than last time
    5x100@:05R kick w/fins #1&5 Free, #2&4 fly on back, #3 back
    5x200@3:30 Free w/paddles & bouy descend went 3:21, 3:16, 3:12, 3:08, 3:04
    200 Free EASYYYYYYY

Total 3700 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Feeling pretty good

by , December 11th, 2009 at 01:09 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Jumped in with the older kids for a workout. Got there late, so got in on the down-side of a pyramid swim.

45 seconds rest between each of the following swims - breathe every 3-
    250 free (warmed up)
    300 free
    250 free
    200 free
    150 free
    100 free -did 1:03

50 easy

12 x 50 kick - 4 fly, 4 back, 4 breast - on 1:10

6 x 150 with fins - 35 to 50 underwater, 100 easy - 1 minute rest between each

16 x 25 - on :30 - did odds fly and evens free - pushed fly

200 easy

3400 yards

Last week, was starting to feel like I was getting a little weak in the water because I had lost a couple of pounds. Have been eating a ton this week and have put it back on. Today, felt better in the water all the way around. May have been starting to get a little thin for my build. Somebody said I was an Olive Oil look-alike. Yeah right. Maybe when I was 13.

Updated December 11th, 2009 at 01:25 AM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized