View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. one month, 17 events

Last week I sent out the following note to some teammates:

Hey fellow meet swimmers,

There are 3 SCM meets happening soon in the New York City area—11/8 at Eisenhower Park, 11/21 at Baruch , and 12/5-6 at the Flushing Meadows Pool (Colonies Zones), all accessible by public transportation. I was looking over the entry forms this weekend and decided that I wanted to try something a little crazy—swimming every pool event over the course of these three meets. I also thought it would be fun to get some teammates to join me. Interested? Read on.

The math works like this. There are 18 short-course pool events: 50s, 100s, and 200s of fly, back, breast, and free, the 100, 200, and 400 IMs, and the 400, 800, and 1500 frees. You can enter 5 events at the 11/8 meet, 3 events at the Baruch meet, and 5 events each day at Zones—that makes a total of 18 individual swims. However, the 800 and 1500 frees are offered only at Zones, and the rules allow you to swim only one of them. You can, though, swim the 1500 and request that your 800 split be officially recorded, and that’s what I plan to do.

So, are you in? If you’re at all tempted, go for it—we will suffer and have fun together (and isn’t that the essence of masters swimming?)

Please come join me in doing something a little crazy and challenging this fall! And forward this to any other swimmers you know who might be tempted.

I've gotten back some responses--two teammates are joining me in this challenge as a relay (9 events each), a few are still considering, and several are doing the asterisked version (no 200 fly). I think I've committed myself to the 17-event plan at this point, and I intend to write about my progress towards that goal here. If anyone is doing anything similar for your SCM season, let me know how things are going for you.

Thanks for reading!
    Janet
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Pullin'

by , October 27th, 2009 at 12:16 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Tuesday, 10/27/09
    SCY, solo

200 swim free
    200 kick back
    200 drill choice
    (did fist drill, alternating free and back by 50)
    pull 2 x 75 free w/10 sec. rest, breathe 3/5/3 by 25
    swim 4 x 50 on :55 choice descend to about 85%
    (did back went 45->38)

pull 3 x 300 free on 4:30, make interval
    (ave 4:07)
    kick 4 x 75 w/zoomers w/15 sec. rest, descend 1-4
    (went 1:15->58)
    swim 4 x 25 no free on 30, evens fast
    (went fly-back-back-fly)
    pull 3 x 150 back on 2:40 (make interval)
    (ave 2:25)
    swim 4 x 25 free on 30, odds fast

200 swim down
    --
    Total: 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Tue OCT 27th, 2009

by , October 27th, 2009 at 12:00 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue OCT 27th, 2009

Next MEET: 2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships
    December 4th - 6th, 2009 at Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

37 Days till Long Beach

Lifted Weights at World Gym in San Marcos
    lat press 8 x 45 8 x 50 8 x 55
    lat pull 8 x 195 6 x 205
    bench press 5 x 195 2 x 205

FOUR OR MORE SDKs off EVERY wall

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY no blocks
    6:30 - 8:00
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center diving well
    Swam with tyler amy & jon
    beside todd & larry

WORE brief

warm up
    4 rounds of 125 fr 25 fast
    4 rounds of 125 k 25 fr

MAIN SET

8 x 25 on 35 odds 70% evens fast

assigned 1000
    did 10 x 50 6 SDKs off each wall

assigned 8 x 50 on 1:10 odds 70% evens fast
    did 4 x 50

got out to make an 8:00 meeting
  4. Sprint Classic Memoirs

by , October 27th, 2009 at 08:52 AM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    OK. A little diversion from the meet director blog posts. Since everyone else is bragging . . . Overall I had a few good races, and one train wreck. These are my Sprint Classic bullets.
    • This was my first 5-event meet (plus two 25's)
    • This was the first time in my life (3 years high school, 11 years masters) I got DQed. Thank you, I will always remember the Sprint Classic.
    • Continued to knock down my 50-hack time by almost a second (PR) over last year's Sprint Classic.
    • Better 100-breast and 100-IM than last year's SC
    • Bested last year's 25-breast
    • Beat my arch-enemy in one event and tied in one
    I have not been training for this meet, and certainly not the 200-IM. I have never entered this in masters in my life (except for one stupid LCM moment). My meet entry had a blank where there were no seed times listed, and I heard the 200-IM calling me.

All through the morning I dreaded the race, and since Chio scratched her 200-IM, I thought this a sign from above for me to do the same. But no wimps here.

After the first leg, I was toast. The brain was whole wheat by the time of the breast turn, and one arm started a freestyle pull as if in a 100-IM. DQ souvenir. Could not catch my breath, and ended up with no pullouts on the breast turns, open turn on the free, and too close to the wall on all the others. I could hear my name being shouted - somebody was actually witnessing this. No hiding in end lane 8. I vow to enter this again before I age up in May, at Tropical Splash or a Maryland meet, and do it right.

I dedicated 2009 as the year of the hackstroke. (Reminder that only dead fish swim on their backs.) The dedication during workouts paid off, overall dropping about 2 seconds on the 50 hack this year, and 8 seconds on the 100. (There was a lot of room for improvement.) Not all came with breaststroke (double arm) cheating on my back. It's still 10-seconds slower than my 100-breast.

Starts and turns in other events felt good, including my best hackstroke start ever. 25-fly felt smokin. Water temperature was normal (not the icebox that Geroge Mason usually is) which I think helped me stay warm and loose between races.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Legs, Legs, Legs

by , October 27th, 2009 at 07:44 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I know I need to have my legs for the sprints so that is what I focused on today.

600 Free as 25kick/25pull/25swim
    8x25@:45 Free Kick every 3rd sprint held :24's
    10x50@1:00 Back held :48's
    8x25@:45 Free kick every other sprint held :25's
    5x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy loose held 1:23's
    8x25@:45 Free kick Sprint held :26's
    5x100@1:25 Free w/paddles & bouy held 1:20's
    4x50 from dive one of each stroke breakout fast then easy free
    100 Free EZ

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Monday Oct 26

by , October 27th, 2009 at 12:19 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    AQUM - 5:30-6:45
    Union Mine High school outdoor SCY.
    Coach Janine and the Aged Groupers.

(Yesterday I did 2500 SCM at the Swimstitute. Broken 100 IM's and sprints)

Warm -700 (200FR, 200K, 200P, 75FR, 25 BR)
    Main
    2x200FR Neg Split on 3:00 (1:17, 1:16-1:18,1:17)
    2x200BR neg split on 3:30
    2x200BK neg split on 3:30
    4x100Fly neg split on 2:00 (Did 50swim/50drill, arms falling off,
    Sprint
    8x25 on 3:00 w/fins (6FR, 2Fly. 5-:11's 1-:10, 2-:12's) work on no breath, the last 4 I got it.
    100 cooldown
    2600 scy
    Starting tomorrow on my solo days, I will be working on either sprint sets or conditioning e.g. 4000+ sets. Ive been "just surviving" in my long workouts, so my slow twitch muscles are happy and fast twitch are sorely neglected. Since I'm always entering 50's and 100's, I have to pick up the pace. My gym routine for the past month has been all fast twitch, rapid fire sets and lots of jumping around!

I'm blogging sporadically now, so the local's will not think I died or sometime. I have returned to the old fashioned way of writing in my log, so I can instantly reference and annotate it.
    I still use the FLOG, as it is perhaps one of the best tools any athlete can use to get a global view of their progress and pitfalls.
    In other news:
    Interesting to note on the front page of the USMS web-site is a story about Bill Miller, swimming whilst unemployed.
    Last Monday I received a 60 day surplus notification...for the past 10 months we have been actively training Indian's in India to basically take our jobs, it was something we were reviewed for.
    AT&T has nearly outsourced its entire IT to India and the trend continues.
    Walt Whitman wrote "Behold I do not give lectures or a little charity, When I give I give myself." I look back on the time I have invested in the company and feel a part of me is being "outsourced." There is a slight chance I can find another position in the company, however the boom of the IT profession is over, if it can be done on a computer, there's someone in India who can do it for $3000 a year.

Updated October 29th, 2009 at 05:48 AM by EricOrca

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  7. Run + Swim

by , October 26th, 2009 at 09:25 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Went for a 5 mile run late in the morning. Felt better than last week - went at an 8:28 per mile pace. The run has a mix of various terrain - hills, trails, roads, etc. Makes for a good workout.

Hit the pool later this afternoon for a swim. Am gearing up to be a sprinter again, so did lots of fin work for a 2,000 yard workout. Last set was as follows:

4 x 75 dolphin kick on back with fins on 1:00

Not a problem making the set, but definitely not as fast as I usually go. Wonder if the 5 mile run I did today had anything to do with going slower.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. I should just HTFU and...

by , October 26th, 2009 at 06:27 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    quit complaining about the warm pool. It appears that it's not going to change.

SCY, solo

300 swim alternating free and back
    200 kick reverse IM order
    300 pull free w/p&b, breathe 3/5 by 25

6 x 50 on :55, desc 1-3 free, 4-6 back

3x (4 x 150)
    set 1 freestyle on 2:15
    (average 2:06)
    1 min. rest
    set 2 back on 2:30
    (averaged 2:13)
    1 min. rest
    set 3 freestyle on 2:45: descend to FAST on the last one
    (2:10-2:05-2:01-1:55)

swim down 100
    --

Total: 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. 50 fly/back vids, Monday, Oct. 26

by , October 26th, 2009 at 03:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Run:

Went for a 5 mile zen run today. Perfect fall weather!

Videos from Sprint Classic:

Here are the meet results: http://www.patriotmasters.org/Sprint...limResults.htm

I was lucky enough to have Speedo and SwimStud tape my 50 fly and Swimmy tape the final heat of the women's 50 back. And I must say, they revealed all my technical difficulties! lol

On the 50 back, my underwater on the second 25 was better than my first 25 -- somewhat unusual for me. On the first 25, I broke out with my head at an angle instead of leaning back. I recall this moment. I had done 13-14 dolphin kicks and was thinking that I better get the hell to the surface fast. But I thought my turn looked decent.

On the 50 fly, I took a HUGE look at my nearby competitor. 100 lashes, though I do note some acceleration after that look. My breakouts looked a little rocky as well. And my start ... well, that was my worst one of the meet and I made a lot of noise. lol And yes, I was wearing a B70 and my chief competitor (former secret nemesis was AWOL) was not, but I was old enough to be her mom.

Here's the final 50 back heat of Team Hottub Ladies, most of whom are illustrious top ten backstrokers and good swim buddies:

Lane 3, Barbara Clifford-Dicks
    Lane 4, Fort
    Lane 5, SwimmieAvsFan
    Lane 6, Julie-Mulie Oplinger Roddin
    Lane 7, Swimshark

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBjKjaq8IKs"]YouTube- MVI 1033[/ame]

Barb and SwimmieAvsFan have been really working on their SDKs and I think it really shows!

And here's the 50 fly taped by Speedo:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2T_GJLUsg"]YouTube- swimming sprint classic 006.avi[/ame]

If you look closely, you can see Stud in his itsby bitsy teeny weeny Speedo brief on the other side of the pool taping.

The 50 fly from the other side of the pool taped by Stud:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRcif3L90cg"]YouTube- Leslie 50 Fly zones...[/ame]

Sore neck:

My neck is pretty sore today. I noticed a twinge in the right side after the evilstroke start. So it was either caused by: (1) so many starts, (2) checking out the competition, or (3) swiveling my head to check out the cute guys in the hottub (Eney's suggestion, lol). I would have liked to go for a slow swim this afternoon and sit in the hottub, but it's a no go with too much to do. Tomorrow hopefully.

Updated November 5th, 2009 at 11:04 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  10. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -10/27/09 -SCY

by , October 26th, 2009 at 11:48 AM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    1 X 300 5:00 4:30
    3 X 100 1:40 1:30
    4 X 50 :50 :45
    Swim it twice. Round 1 intervals left, round 2 right.
    Descend the 50's 1-4 on both rounds.

12 X 100
    4 on 1:30
    4 on 1:25
    4 on 1:20

4 X 100 kick 2:15
    8 X 25 kick *fast, no board* :40

10 X 50 1:10
    odd: easy
    even: fast

1 X 50
    Blocks, at race pace

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4150Y

Updated October 27th, 2009 at 07:22 PM by RickMile

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Mon OCT 26rd, 2009

by , October 26th, 2009 at 10:50 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon OCT 26rd, 2009

right middle finger feels better

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=196079&postcount=1281"]U.S. Masters Swimming issued a Statement on Swimsuits on 10/11/09 [/ame]

Next MEET: 2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships
    December 4th - 6th, 2009 at Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

38 Days till Long Beach

Lifted weights on Saturday at World Gym in Tyler

FOUR OR MORE SDKs off every wall even in warm up, even on easy stuff

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY no blocks
    5:30 - 7:00
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center diving well
    Swam with tyler & nate
    beside todd, ned & marcio

WORE brief

warm up
    2 rounds of 100 fr 50 k 100 im 50 fr

MAIN SET

assigned 4 x 50 on a fast interval
    did 2 x 50

assigned 400
    did 4 x 50

assigned 4 x 100 on a tough interval
    did 3 x 50 & a 100

assigned 400
    did 4 x 50

assigned 4 x 200 on a tough interval
    did 4 x (2 x 50)

assigned 400
    did 4 x 50

16 x 25 on 40
    1 fast
    2 1 breath
    3 25 SDK
    4 25 SDK
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. This weekend's meet

I survived the 400 ... barely. I do NOT like tech suits for longer events. I do not notice my breathing being constricted in 50s and 100s but have swum a 500 and now a 400 in a tech suit had felt like I was having a panic attack because I couldn't breathe. My streamlines sucked, I nearly died and it was slow. All this proves is that I don't need to do this event again. I'm sure I'll do it next year just to remind myself why I don't swim distance.

100 breast was a blast. It was slow but my stroke felt good. I just had fun with it. I had a terrible last wall. I pretty much forgot to do a pull out. Oh well. I was well under 2:00, too. This might have potential to be an event I toy with. We shall see.

100 free was okay. Slow for sure, but I am told that with the lack of speed work we have been doing that it's okay. The stroke felt pretty solid.

I scratched the 50 back. I was warm and dry at that point and the thought of jumping back into the cold pool to swim a race I suck at was not appealing. Food however was and won out.

I got a terrible headache last night and got into bed before 5 because of it. Sudafed did not seem to help and I called it a night very early. I was planning on swimming this morning but putting on a cap and smashing goggles onto my eyes when they feel like they are going to pop out of my head did not seem smart.

There's always tomorrow ... and hopefully a run tonight if my head does not explode.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Recovery day

by , October 26th, 2009 at 07:45 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today I just tried to stay loose and begin working on my backstoke since this coming weekend my main focus will be Free and Back.

The difference for me this weekend has to be the kicking I have been doing since on the 200 I actually kicked.

1000 Free as 200 swim/pull/swim/kick/swim
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd moderate pace
    5x100@:05R alt by 100 fly/back kick w/fins
    10x50@1:00 Back w/paddles descended these unintentionally started at about :50 and worked down to :45
    5x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & Bouy nice and loose
    300 Free EZ concentrate on the pull and how my arms grab and pull the water
    2x50@1:00 Free trying a relaxed straight thru pull as opposed to my usual S pull held :45 with no effort
    100 Easy

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Blue Sky, Sunshine, What A Day To Take A Walk In The Park.

by , October 25th, 2009 at 08:18 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    "Ice Cream, day dream till the sky becomes a blanket of stars," Spanky and Our Gang 1967

I love 60's music. It's so happy, carefree, and organic!

Todays swim workout was alot like yesterday's, quality sprint sets with alot of rest. I think the workout was 1,500 yards; I got in a bit early and did a 1,000 warm-up. I hate those type of workouts; I'm sure that means they are good for me and I should do them more often. I am sitting here trying to recall what we did and my chard clogged brain doesn't remember. It was pretty much carbon of yesterday only I personalized it with a long warm-up swim for a total of 2,500 scy.

After the Colts victory Marty and I went out to River Road for a run. We ran into one of my old running buddies (she's not old, in fact she's 10 yrs. younger than me) and her hubby so we started out with them. True to old "running buddy" form Karen and I took off yakking and striding and left Marty and Pete in the dust. We ran 32:00. It was probably 4.3 miles.

Now it's time to wind down and get ready for Desperate Housewives!

Updated October 25th, 2009 at 08:34 PM by Bobinator (stupid spelling)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. More meet plans

OK. So it's been a week since my last entry. (Yes, I'm a bad blogger. I'll try to post more often, but no promises.)

Anyway, last week I was wondering whether or not to do the November 8 meet on Long Island. Well, I've decided to skip that one. I want to wait a couple of weeks for the Baruch College meet on the 21st, which will be a good practice meet for SCM Zones. The November 21 meet is sprint only sprint, but those are the only events I ever do and I'd like to have a nice small, low-key meet to start the season with. (Meets at Eisenhower Park, like the one on 10/8, are never small or low key.)

But there'll be another meet at Eisenhower on January 24, and I'll definitely do that. And, of course, I'm doing SCM Zones -- there's no excuse for me not to, since it's just a half hour subway ride away.

Updated October 26th, 2009 at 10:39 AM by nyswimmer (correct typo)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Sprint Classic

by , October 25th, 2009 at 06:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Celebrated my 5th anniversary as a masters swimmer today at the GMU Sprint Classic. My first masters meet was Oct. 2005, a few months after being hobbled by running injuries.

I swam the 50 back, 50 breast, 50 fly and the four 25s. Didn't have enough gas to swim the 50 free -- it was just too close to the 50 fly and I was still tired. Plus, I didn't want to be absolutely trashed for the very fun annual Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters.

Here's how it went:

50 back: 1st place, 28.55

2005 time: 31.1

Turnover was good, but felt a bit choppy, much like the Fall Ball. My first breakout was not ideal; I was angled up to much instead of having my head back. I glided into the finish again a bit (though not quite as loco mcstupid as the prior meet). Not sure I should have taken another stroke. Wolfy noted that, based on my stroke count, I was in "no man's land" where either gliding in or smacking my arm on the wall was inevitable. Still, apart from CZ last April, this is my second fastest 50 back time ever -- the same time I swam fully tapered at Auburn last February.

50 evil, 3rd place(?), 34.82

Got absolutely owned on my gridges with Wolfy and Stud. Kudos to them! And an absolute failure to execute on my part. I went way too deep on the start. I had a good streamline, dolphin kick, pull down and kick up and, then, well, I was still 2 feet under water at the 15 meter mark ... Very comical. I thought I was floating up veeeerrrry slowly to the surface, but others detected some unintentional flutter kicking. However, despite everyone shouting "DQ" at what seemed like the top of their lungs after the race, I wasn't DQ'd. lol But I must admit that, after floating around in a streamline position for seemingly forever, I completely forgot everything Allen Stark ever said to me about evilstroke and swam old style evil. Still, I guess if you discount my little "error" the swim wouldn't be that far off the 34.1 I swam at CZ last April where I had a good start and turn.

50 fly: 1st place, 27.65

2005 time: 29.5

Pretty solid race. I felt like I was missing some zip, didn't have the best streamline entering the water, and glided just a tad into the turn and finish. Speedo filmed this race, so I'll see what it looks like on video. (I looked quickly on camera -- and it showed me peeking at the competition!) I went 27.5 last year at this meet, so this is virtually equivalent.

Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters:

Now, for the BEST part of the meet. Last year, I went:

25 back, 13.96 (1st)
    25 evil, 15.95 (3rd)
    25 fly, 12.71 (3rd)
    25 free, 12.01 (1st)

This year, I went:

25 back, 13.74 (1st)
    25 evil, 15.69 (4th)
    25 fly, 12.61 (1st)
    25 free, 12.01 (1st)

I was a little worried about defending my Fastest Woman in the Pool title after scoring 0 points on the 25 evil (though I had a much better start). But I got really good starts on my last 2 25s, especially on my 25 fly where Wolfy said I had a great breakout. I barely held off Cheryl Ward and Jen O'Reilly in the 25 free -- they were closing fast. SwimmieAvsFan showed some real sprint today (including winning the 50 free)! I'm hoping my sprint victory makes Ahlee happy -- I'm getting older, but still faster.

The boys' 25s were fast and furious! One guy went 9.96 in the 25 free in a brief (though no one's brief was as brief as those sported by Muppet and SwimStud!) Typically, the clock doesn't start picking up times until 10 seconds, but fortunately Cheryl had re-set the clock to pick up times at 9. Wow!

I wish more meet directors would do 25s! It's great speed work, great work on starts and great fun. I was happily surprised that my times were slightly faster than last year. And I liked my prize -- goggles, cap and cool t-shirt from our first CZ meet at GMU. I still am wearing the GMU suit I won in 2007 as well.

Sat in the hottub chatting with Speedo, Wolfy, Cage Fighter, SwimStud and SwimShark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I didn't feel completely "on" at the meet. In fact, Speedo and I both felt slightly flat. It could possibly be that a 3 day taper would have been better than a 5+ day taper. Also, I usually don't lift at all the week before a meet and this week I lifted 2x, although somewhat lightly. Who knows exactly how much these little things make a difference, if at all. But it was a very fun, very low key meet.

I feel pretty trashed now. Swimming at a meet is so much more exhausting than doing AFAP work at practice.

I chatted with Jeff Roddin at bit before scratching the 50 free. We agreed that it is very difficult to swim 4 50s + 4 25s at a meet at a high level on the type of AFAP workouts I am currently doing. To do that many events, we both thought some more conditioning was required. For this reason, I will likely not enter the 50 evil at NEChamps on Sat. and stick with no more than 3 events per day.

Wolfy encouraged me to continue yoga, asserting I would get more bang for my buck doing that as opposed to more lifting. I'm not sure about this, as I'm already pretty flexy. But it definitely loosens up my upper and mid back more than usual.

And ... my trusty B70 developed a small hole after the 50 back. It didn't get any bigger as the meet went on. But it seems to be ending it's life span. Of course, it's nothing like Wolfy's B70 ...

On that note, I'm not sure there is an "apples to apples" comparison of my times between this year's meet and last year's meet. The B70 I wore at last year's meet was much newer than this one. There's nothing quite as performance enhancing as a spanking new suit.

And, Jimby, your buddy Mark Cox is a real speedster! He swam great today.

Updated October 26th, 2009 at 09:17 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  17. Day 3 of the meet

by , October 25th, 2009 at 05:43 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    A great day today for my 200 Free this is the first time in 2 years I have broken 2:20 with a 2:19.71. The legs and all of the kicking I have been doing is making a difference.
    My 50 Free was not as good 29.02 but that is ok. I had several good swims this weekend with one personal best. Not a bad way to end the meet.

Total of 1750 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. KPN 'slapped' some sense into me.

by , October 25th, 2009 at 02:43 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Quick story: There are two big round tables and KPN is sitting between the two back far enough away so that she can face both tables easily. I show up and sit down next to a friend of mine, which puts me closest to KPN. Demo time comes around, and KPN has me stand up, then knocks me down. Next she lets me sit down, and slaps me. Obviously she does things a little differently, because usually I get slapped before I get tumbled.

My wife wanted to go, but she had to work. My USMS coach wanted to go but he had to run his 50th tri for the year, so he couldn't go. This is important, because I had to review everything with my wife when I got home and I will have to review everything Monday morning again at practice. This was very good because it made me realize how much stuff I had learned. I learned a few things that were so fundamental to swimming I am shocked I made it this long without knowing them. Before reviewing everything, I wasn't sure how much I got out of the clinic.

The most profound thing I learned might be something every other swimmer is born knowing, but I was thrilled to discover it. Have someone provide some hand resistence like the guy in this picture. Now press down with just your finger tips, and notice that the muscles along the top of your arms are most activated. Now press down against their hands with just your wrists, your back should be the main muscle. I don't think anyone else was excited as I was by this.

The foundation of the class is wide stroke, I-pull freestyle. There was video tape before and after, and my before, I am very much a centerline swimmer with some cross over. Afterward, I feel like my hand in entering somewhere on the other side of the lane rope, I watch the video and my hand is entering perfectly in line with my shoulder. The feeling over overdoing it was still really weird, and without the second video taping, I would not have believed I was entering the 4-6 inches off my centerline but somewhere out about 24 inches. It feels really weird, but it looks great on tape.

I played some more with the stroke today (clinic was yesterday) and I have not found anything from my new stroke that I want to discard and replace with something from my old stroke. She had us play with Janet Evans recovery, but wasn't a focus point and how much bend is in my arm recovery is still something to think about and play with.

Tomorrow I should have a waterproof video camera in the mail. That should increase the frequency of my video reviews from twice ever, to at least monthly.

I didn't go too much in detail about the clinic. Overall, it was a very enjoyable clinic, I respected Karlyn as a swimmer before the clinic and after the clinic I consider her a good teacher.

Quick story postscript: The slap was a theatrical mock slap, but she really did knock me over.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Work harder?

by , October 25th, 2009 at 02:05 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hoping to do a run of some sort later today, but will go ahead and post. Saw the below article which is great news for men, but not necessarily so for women. The implication is that women must work much harder than men to get the same benefit.

Who ever said life was fair?

Exercise improves young men's heart regulation

Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:43pm EDT

By Amy Norton
    NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Offering yet more reason to get regular exercise, a new study shows that running and other aerobic activities improve nervous-system control of the heart in young men.

The study, of 149 healthy young adults, found that 12 weeks of aerobic exercise improved the autonomic nervous system's regulation of the heart -- at least in men. In general, the training lowered men's resting heart rate and improved their results on a measure of heart-rate variability -- heart's ability to speed up or slow down in response to demands. The benefit was not seen in women, however, the researchers report in the American Journal of Public Health.

Still, the finding does not mean that exercise is no help to women's hearts, according to lead researcher Dr. Richard P. Sloan, a professor of behavioral medicine at Columbia University Medical Center in New York.
    "There are many benefits of exercise, and this study looked at only one of those," Sloan told Reuters Health.

What the findings imply, he said, is that women may need to work harder than men to improve autonomic control of the heart.

The autonomic nervous system controls involuntary activities of the body, heart function being one. Regular aerobic exercise is one of the keys to a healthy heart, and one reason, the thinking has been, is that exercise improves autonomic regulation of the heart.

To study that theory, Sloan's team randomly assigned 149 healthy, sedentary adults in their 20s and 30s to 12 weeks of strength training or aerobic conditioning -- activities such as running, pedaling on a stationary bike or using a stair-climbing machine.

The volunteers then returned to their sedentary ways for 4 weeks, for a period of "deconditioning."

Overall, the researchers found, aerobic exercise, but not strength training, improved exercisers' fitness levels. Similarly, only aerobic conditioning improved autonomic regulation of the heart -- an effect that disappeared during the deconditioning period.

It's not clear why aerobic exercise improved autonomic control of the heart only in men, Sloan said. It's possible that sex hormones -- either estrogen or testosterone -- play a role, but that is unproven, he noted.
    Whatever the reason, Sloan stressed, the findings do not negate the importance of exercise for women's hearts. "This in no way gives anyone an excuse not to exercise," he said.

SOURCE: American Journal of Public Health, May 2009.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healt...ame=healthNews

At sunset, did a 25 minute run/walk with son and dog around field across the street. Felt good outside - 56 degrees. Beautiful sunset also!

Updated October 25th, 2009 at 07:26 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Genesis, part iii

by , October 24th, 2009 at 10:00 PM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    “Let the will be set on the path of duty. Let every attainment in what is good be firmly grasped."
    -Confucius

Origins of the Tropical Splash
    2003 Recollections

WHAT!!??
    The pool manager was contacted to review times and procedures for the meet. We met to compare notes. This is when I learned that there was an aquatics class in session that utilized the deep end of the pool while our meet would be going on.

I don't know what the class was, but I imagined blue-haired ladies wearing foam belts, bobbing up and down with foam barbells in their hands; Masters swimmers shouting on deck on three sides surrounding them; and someone sprinting butterfly in the lane next to them. Not knowing what a masters meet was all about, the pool manager assumed it would be similar to a USA Swimming dual meet, with about 40-50 swimmers (and all you need is love to get along with the blue-haired ladies.)

Although the pool was willing to go through with it, I felt the arrangement was unacceptable, and would result in lots of complaints afterwards. If the class (whatever it was) complained, we might not be allowed to hold a meet again (thinking of the future and the possibility that the meet would become an annual event.)

We discussed alternate times and alternate dates, but nothing worked. So the Blue-Gray Battle was history before being fought.

Deflated, we thought about using one of the other pools. George Washington Rec Center was a 25yd x 25yd pool that did not receive a lot of use from the public or from rentals. It opened on Sundays at 1:00 PM, allowing us to have the pool to ourselves in the morning. Its deficiencies included small locker rooms and parking lot, small deck space, and no seating.

We talked to the pool manager. There was a boat rental (canoe class) using the pool every other Sunday morning, and the last Sunday in January was theirs. This left us the first Sunday in February (the previous Sunday was a holiday weekend, and parents home entertaining kids would not be competing in a meet - they would be skiing and shopping we were advised.) And, the pool manager was willing to let us rent the pool as individual lanes - cheaper than renting at the 'entire facility' fee. The manager would be getting rental income from a time that the pool was normally closed, so he was happy.

There were about 40 plastic deck chairs at the pool. Three of our team members were on the board of a summer outdoor pool where we hold summer workouts, and offered up their deck chairs to use during the meet. I counted 144 parking spaces and 128 men's lockers in working order. Seemed like enough for a meet. We agreed to hold the meet February 1.

After a Saturday workout, we met as usual at the local cafe and developed the framework for the Tropical Splash - a fun meet with a tropical theme as a way to beat the winter blues. (A civil war battle theme seemed blasphemous at George Washington's pool.) The cannonball relay was converted to the coconut relay. In many many ways, the possibilities of a tropical meet were superior to the Blue-Gray Battle.

And that's the convoluted history and background of how our meet was born. Next up... the decisions and details for this year's meet.

BOOK OF WISDOM
    • Don't ever count yourself out - find a way.
    • Look beyond the obvious end - it is not the end

Updated November 10th, 2009 at 07:03 AM by Rnovitske

Categories
    Uncategorized