View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Finally

by , February 16th, 2009 at 10:42 PM (Mike's Rocky Mountain Blog)
    Went the EPIC pool this evening. It felt good to swim in a wide lane in cool water.

20 X 75s
    1-5 BR @ 2:00 (25 kick/25 stroke count/25 build)
    6-10 FL @ 1:30 w/Zoomers (25 Left/25 Right/25 Swim build)
    11-15 BR @ 1:30 (25 kick/25 stroke count/25 AFAP)
    16-20 FL @ 1:30 (25 Lft/25 Rt/25 AFAP)
    100 cool down.

1600 Yards (750 BR/750 FL/100 Easy)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. One of the Laws of Thermodynamics

by , February 16th, 2009 at 10:22 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    I am not sure which one it is, but one of the Laws of Thermodynamics, if memory serves me even a little bit, says that energy runs downhill. Entropy is gaining on us all, relentlessly.

Perhaps in the grander scheme, this could explain the past several months of swimming practice.

I am wondering if anybody out there in vlog land might have less grand and more Jim-specific explanations for what is happening to me.

I don't mean for this to sound woe-is-me-ish here, though I suppose that after playing the same instrument for so many years, it's not unreasonable to think that my words might seem to echo with at least a little bit of that atonal whiny soundtrack that has so frequently accompanied Jim utterances in the past.

Still, I am hoping we can dissect me, and by extension, Everyman, to find out what is happening, if it is inevitable, or reversible, or slowable, or only likely to accelerate.

Basically, the gist of my lament: my AT times are becoming noticeably worse.

A few snapshots from my swimming practice log:

Jan, 2003: 3 x 1500 on 20 min. in practice: times 19:20; 18:40; 18:28

Jan, 2004: 4996 yards in 1 hour postal meet

June, 2004: 46 x 100 on 1:20

Sept, 2006: 4 x 100 sandwiched in between a bunch of 50s and 25s, the times for the 100s 57, 58, 57, 58.2

Oct. 2006: 4 x 200 sandwiched in beween sets of 8 x 50 on :50, the times for the 200s 2:08, 2:08, 2:07, 2:07

Jan. 2007: 2:08 for 200, 4:35 for 400; 7:08 for 600; 9:52 for 800

Nov. 2007: 2:17, 2:16, 2:16, 2:11 for 4 x 200 separated by 300s

Jan, 2008: 4825 hour swim

Jan, 2009: 4700 hour swim

Tonight's practice: 10 x 100 on 1:25; 8 x :50 on :40; 10 x 100 on 1:20, then I gave up and went to B lane like an abused dog, unable to complete the rest of A's practice (4 x 200 on 2:40; 4 x 100 on 1:15; 4 x 50 on :35.)

I am just wearied out these days. It hasn't yet ruined my shorter swims, but I don't know. Swimming coach Bill thinks it's psychological, that I need some kind of placebo to get me thinking positively and trying harder again in practice. But I still find myself coming to the brink of vomiting--surely this must be some sort of index of effort, right?

I do not want to think that I am slowing down.

I do not want to think that I am nearing the Great Resting Reward.

I do not want to think that the IRS will be able to feast on my remains without me so much able to raise a finger, a middle finger, to wag in their direction and say, No, Jimby prefers not to!

"Not to what?" asks the IRS lady, her breathe reminiscent of Jimby's other female nemesis, that damnable nurse Ratchett.

"I prefer not to! Not to anything you want! I prefer not to!"

Wagging that finger savagely now.

In any event, I do not want to think any of this figures in a slippage in my AT time.

I am hoping my vlogging viewers might be able to come up with alternative scenarios to propose, to cast me a placebo, if you will, to rally me back!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Full day!

by , February 16th, 2009 at 09:13 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well today was back to schedule... no rest for the weary.
    Got to the pool at around 10 and got stuck into the workout that was written up:
    500 FR 9:00 went 7:35
    5 times thru:
    100 K 2:30
    100 Swim 2:30
    I did them BR, FR, BK, BR, FR.

5 x 200 3:45 as:
    200 EZ
    50 EZ/150 FAST
    100 EZ/100 FAST
    150 EZ/50 FAST
    200 FAST
    10 x 50 1:00 black lines (2 turns)
    8 x 25 IMO on :30
    300 EZ to cool

Brief shower and into the gym to lift for 40 minutes:
    Leg/Calf press
    Leg Ext
    Leg curl
    Abduct/Adduct
    Bench Press
    Pull Down

Updated February 16th, 2009 at 10:11 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Hello lamp post, what ya knowing?

by , February 16th, 2009 at 06:32 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I love days off! Here's my schedule today,
    1) woke up, read paper, drink coffee, compile grocery list.
    2) Purchase chicken chili ingredients, yogurt, and fruit
    3) Throw chili stuff in pot to slow cook.
    4)******Great Swim at Carmel Aquatic Center! Some of the Lady Greyhounds were casually swimming so I got to congratulate them, Coach Plumb too!
    5) Out to lunch with daughter #3. Teachers love to eat out for lunch, I only get about 15 minutes at school for lunch so I equate lunch in a resturant to a Spa!
    6) Met daughter # 1 at Target and bought her a new bikini for spring break.
    7) Called Hamilton County Courthouse, found out I do not have to report for jury duty tomorrow.
    8) I am getting ready to go to pilates for a 75 minute session. I am going to get there a little late in hopes that all the rings are gone.
    SIMPLE, RELAXING, It doesn't take much to entertain me! Oh, here's my self created swim workout for today:

1) Warm-up- 500 swim concentrating on good turns and trying to hold streamline and dolfin at each turn.
    2) 2 X 250 Free on 4:00 int. First one in paddles breathing every 3 strokes, second one no paddles.
    3) 5 X 100 Free on 1:45 int. Felt peppy!
    4) Easy 100 w/EVF paddles
    5) 10 X 50 Free on 1:00 still peppy!
    6) Easy 100 w/EVF paddles
    7) Super 500 Free (25's done with Fly)
    8) Super 500 IM Add-on (25's done with Free)
    9) 4 X 25 Fly all out with zoomers on (I never wear fins but I need something to help me speed my stroke up. I am going to end each practice w/4 all out fly laps for the rest of my life and see if it helps)
    3,300 Yards of feeling groovy
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Pull, pull, pull....

by , February 16th, 2009 at 01:56 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY with Carrie

Warmup
    600 swim alt 75 free/25 no free
    (on no free did fly-back-breast-breast-back-fly)
    300 IM drill

Main Set
    pull 8 x 75 free (w/paddles) on 1:15: breathe 3/5/7/25
    (although I'm not very good at hypoxic sets I managed to do this one. swam these in about 1:05)
    100 easy

pull 3 x 200 back (no paddles) on 3:30 desc. 1-3
    (went 3:20-:10-:02)
    100 easy

pull 12x25 on 30 (no paddles) odds free, evens back: every 3rd one fast
    (on free ave :20 with fast ones around :15, on back ave :23 with fast ones around :18)
    Cool down
    200 easy

Will do 40 min spin class during my lunch hour.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Monday 2-16-2009

by , February 16th, 2009 at 12:54 PM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    11:00 AM to Noon at the Jamerson YMCA (SCY) coached by Priscilla.

Warmup:
    200 free
    200 scull

8x50 - 25 combination drill (wrist flip finish, fingertip drag, catchup, and breathe every stroke)/ 25 swim - I'm starting to get the hang of this drill and my pull feels great while doing it. Now to translate that pull to my regular stroke!!!

Twice through:
    • 6x50 free on :45 - I tried to hold 40s, which was my secret goal for Saturday's 500. I held 40 for the first 4, then fatigue set in and my pace dropped to :43s and :44s.
    • 4x50 free on 1:05 - I needed these for recovery, but I still worked on a long reach out front to hold a better streamline and a good catch.
    • 2x75 free on 1:35 - easy while trying to hold good form.
    8x50 on 1:05 - Working turns (pull with bottom arm first, which I do, and breathe on second or third stroke rather than first, which I don't do! Last two were easy warmdown.
    2500 yards

Notes: I may not get to go to any more meets prior to my move, so I will take this opportunity to work extensively on my stroke rather than concentrating on building endurance and getting a workout.

Updated February 16th, 2009 at 01:05 PM by Iwannafly

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. 200 IM 2:04 200 k 2:17, 50 bk 23.2

by , February 16th, 2009 at 11:47 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Feb 16th 2009

17 days till Austin Grand Prix Thu Mar 5th
    I'll be in Orlando Fl Sun Mar 1 - Wed 4

edited the [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=168158&postcount=938"]Suit Surge [/ame]a little today

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE
    5:30 - 6:45
    whitney coached
    scy TSC diving well
    swam with nate, mike & doug
    beside tyler, jeff, todd doug & ned

warm up
    50 fr 50 im 50 fr 50 k

200 im 70%
    dove
    went 2:20

4 x 50 fr on :50 desc

rest 30 sec

200 im 80%
    went 2:15

assigned 4 x 100 fr on 1:30
    did 4 x (50 easy 50 skip)
    rest

200 im 90% dove
    went 2:12

assigned 4 x 150 fr on 2:10
    did 2 x (2 x 50) skipped last to to change into
    my new blue PRO Jammers

rest 1:30

200 im 100%
    dove
    turned at 1:35 at the 150
    went 2:04

assigned 4 x 200 k with fins
    did 3 x (2 x 50 easy)

200 k fast no board
    dove
    went 2:17

assigned 100 IM fast
    skipped it

changed into B70

50 bk fast
    roll start
    whitney timed
    went 23.2

50 easy

sat by UT womens coach kim brackin after practice
    yesterday she ran the half marathon in 2 hours
    watched Kirsty Coventry & Kathleen Hersey do the last part of
    12 x 100 k with a board on 2:00
    kirsty did all fast
    Kathleen did 2 fast 1 easy

sat by eddie reese
    he told me he's going to clovis

WEIGHTS (LIFTED after swimming at world gym in san marcos)
    bench 10 x 135 6 x 190 4 x 200
    lat press 8 x 40 8 x 45 8 x 50
    lat pull 8 x 167 6 x 207 5 x 215
    leg press 10 x 180 8 x 270 8 x 320
    BANDS

short cut to Ande's Swimming Blog
    http://TinyURL.com/AndeSwim

NEXT MEET:
    USA Swimming Austin Grand Prix Austin TX
    Thursday March 5 - Saturday March 7, 2009
    17 days away
    Meet format: Short Course AM, Long Course PM
    http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquatics/meets
    entered the following events
    #05 100 Butterfly 52.63
    #08 200 IM 2:00.32
    #18 100 Backstroke 54.05
    #24 200 Backstroke 2:21.04
    #26 100 Freestyle 48.85

NEXT MEET:
    2009 South Central Zone USMS Championships
    Friday March 27 - Sun March 29, 2009

NEXT MEET
    USMS MASTERS NATIONALS
    May 7 - 10
    http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats09/
    Entered it today

Updated February 16th, 2009 at 12:16 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  8. Talk about waterlogged...

I can't believe I passed the written test of my crash course scuba class! Spent the week-end sitting indian style on the bottom of a cold pool starring at a bunch of people looking like Monty Python soldiers waiting for their next "Knights of Neets" mission.
    The open water dive is the same week -end as my meet Feb 28. I will dive in April as my meet is more important to me.
    Got up a 600 this morning and caught the last part of the Charlotte Masters swimmers working out. I approached the coach and asked if I could join them Wed or Fri. and he said, sure.
    I warmed up
    Tried my 1000 yard event. It is what it is. I really need to improve my stroke
    Want to know my times on backstroke.
    Did a bunch of 50 breast. Might do this in the meet as well as 50 free.
    100 I M
    100 side kicks
    300 kicks with fins.
    cool down
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Auburn, Day 2

by , February 16th, 2009 at 11:04 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Despite being totally sleep deprived, my body was still sufficiently rested, tapered, pampered, massaged etc. to swim fast. I feel like I really nailed the taper with significant time drops. Swam faster than I though I would. In fact, I should probably just retire from SCY now, as I doubt I'll ever swim faster. lol All time drops are "taper drops" because I've swum every event except the 100 IM in B70s. (I note this because Jimby thinks all my recent improvements are due to B70 use.)

100 fly: 1:01.33

Previous PB was 1:04.2 (swam that at Austin in a Pro and at the Sprint Classic in a B70). I swam this in heat 1 by myself. Had the same reaction as the 50 free. I just could not believe my time. I was hoping to go a 1:03. Shocked and super happy. My splits were 28.46/32.87. Rigor mortis set in, as usual, with about 10 yards to go. Mini-Fort says I just have to chop off one second to make sectionals. I tried to explain that this was a once in a lifetime taper kind of thing and I wasn't going to hop in and do this next month. Yeesh!

50 back: 28.52

Previous best was a 29.1 in September, and I was secretly hoping for a 28.9. Didn't have the best turn and was on the lane line for a bit of the second length. Still very very happy with the time.

100 back: 1:02.84

Previous best was 1:04.7 (did this in a Pro in Austin and in a B70 in September) and I was hoping for a high 1:03 or so. Did this as a split request in the 200 back. (The officials checked the rules and found the split request form.) I didn't have much time to recover after the 50 back. Maybe 35 minutes. I would really have preferred an hour or even 2 hours. That's the one disadvantage of tapering for a regional meet as opposed to Nats -- you just don't get the same amount of rest between events. This event hurt the most of all my races, probably because I was very very tired. Splits were 30.24/32.60. Forumite Karlene was kind enough to give me my splits and times right when I hopped (er, dragged myself) out of the pool.

I consider this race a moral victory. I've been wanting to beat my 12 year old time of 1:04.0 for awhile. So now I'm faster than when I was 12. lol

Taper Reflections/Thoughts:

1. Did 6 PBs at this meet. I've done this before at a taper meet, but I think some of the PBs were just natural improvement, increased racing experience, or just not much experience in a given course. But I've never dropped this much time across every event before. I have to conclude that this means I really hit my taper right. The biggest change I made was in week 1 of the taper. I followed Chris' advice to keep yardage up (reduce only a bit), cut aerobic work and cut speed work. In prior tapers, I've increased speed work in week 1 and reduced yardage. I also got much more rest/sleep than usual during taper (took a lot of "morning naps"). This may have factored into the results as well.

2. The Auburn pool was very fast. It was a double bulkhead pool. Didn't seem to bother me. I did have to peek to spot the wall in the 50 free though.

3. I'm still struggling on my backstroke turns in yards. This meet, I took 3 strokes before flipping over instead of the 2 from my last meet. I guess it worked, but I felt like I had to take short strokes and was tentative on the turns. Also, I notice with my B70, I'm not getting as deep on my starts and turns and popping up sooner. Ande tells me I need to affirmatively try to go deeper and use the "suit surge." I'm definitely not doing that right now.

3. The SCY season is in the books for me. I'm only going to swim a few events at Zones for fun. Hopefully, my times will hold up decently with those to be posted at Clovis. I'm just going to focus on SCM and LCM now, which I vastly prefer anyway. Whenever I swim backstroke in yards, I just think "another damn wall?!" Walls upset my rhythm and help tall people more than us shorter types.

4. I have to say that I really enjoyed tapering at an unconventional time. I'm not a winter person and it gave me something to keep me occupied and focused on over these dreary months. Now, I'm really ready to turn back to some cross training and running outdoors. This is really not a bad way to go!

5. Tapering is hard work. It requires a lot of commitment to getting enough rest, sleep, etc. I'm really looking forward to going back to not worrying about whether I feel tired or sore and doing whatever I want to do. I always feel like I've gotten a "get out of jail free" card when taper time is over.

6. A couple people have asked me what I think accounts for the significant time drops I've had since Austin. In a nutshell, I think it's more intense training. I've generally been swimming 5x a week. When in the pool, I've done more aerobic work and more intense kick sets. And I've just done more weights/drylands, though I can still improve in this area. So, as I said recently on the SFF thread, "more is more" seems to have worked for me.

7. Sandbagging seems to agree with me. I swam all my 100s completely by myself with no one to "race." Didn't seem to matter. In general, I prefer just swimming my own race. I don't think having someone right next to me makes all that much difference.

8. 100 fly thoughts: One reason I was so surprised with my time is that I have not been training for the 100 fly. If you've read my blog, you'll know that I've mostly just been doing 25s with some 50s and fly in IMs thrown in. Last October, I tried to do longer fly sets to improve my endurance in the 100 fly, but suffered immediate shoulder pain. So I went back to 25s and 50s. Didn't seem to hurt me that much. Also, for the fin critics out there, I will note that I NEVER swim fly without fins. So pfffftttt. Works for me and keeps my shoulders healthy! I'm glad I've marched to my own drummer on this issue and not accepted conventional wisdom.

Oh, and no matter how much Puff bugs me, I will never swim a 200 fly.

Here are the complete results:

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/~bailelc/2009.results.htm

Updated February 17th, 2009 at 12:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  10. Monday 2/16 - Slept in today

by , February 16th, 2009 at 07:24 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Slept in today but not by choice. The aquatic center that I train at seems to like to close on days they could actually make more money like presidents day when the kids are home from school. But that is just another example of how government can't run a business.

Will coach tonight at the Y and depending upon how many come I might sneak in myself at the end.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. A short run

by , February 16th, 2009 at 12:29 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I usually take Sunday as a rest day but a couple friends invited me to join them for a run (and breakfast after) this morning. How could I refuse an invitation from 2 young, beautiful women.

We ran on the treadmills at the gym. In all the years I was a runner I had never trained on a treadmill so this was an interesting experience. I started by walking about 1/4 mi then went to a slow jog for a mile, walked 1/4, then another mile at a slightly faster pace, walked another 1/4, then a mile at the same pace as the previous one. Then walked another 1/4 to cool down. This is the first time I have ran in over 4 years.

Then off to the Coffee Mug for breakfast. What a pleasant way to spend a Sunday morning.

I'll probably be sore and feel like tomorrow.

Updated February 16th, 2009 at 08:41 AM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Sunday, February 15th "Workout"

by , February 16th, 2009 at 12:11 AM (Mike's Rocky Mountain Blog)
    See previous entry for explanation.

200 BR Swim - Long and strong/avoid oblivious people in lane.
    200 BR Kick - focus on avoiding flying kickboards, balls, and pool toys.
    4 X 50 BR Swim - stop after each rep and commiserate with hapless lanemate about the complete lack of consideration that people show when bringing their 8 kids to play in the lap lanes during "adult lap swim".

Warm down:
    Took a bunch of deep breaths and cashed in. Spent about 30 minutes in the hot tub, took a shower and walked out of the place with a smile on my face.

Total Yardage: 600
    Bottoming out on a bad week: Priceless
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Sometimes you just have to laugh!

by , February 16th, 2009 at 12:00 AM (Mike's Rocky Mountain Blog)
    If you've been reading my blog lately, you'll know that I've been a little down lately. Well, the bad news is that it got worse today. The good news is that I believe I may have bottomed out this morning.

So I went to early church service and planned to go directly to one of the nicer pools to get a good sprint workout in (ah! wide lanes, cool water)...they were closed. Oh well, Mulberry Pool is just down the road and, although the showers aren't as nice, it has a hot tub...oops...not open until noon. OK, I'll just go to the health club and see if I can still make "adult lap swim". Yippee, I made it...still over an hour until the dreaded "Open" swim with kids jumping in your lane and throwing balls" into the lap lanes. I get dressed in the locker room, excited to get my workout in, albeit in a narrow laned, warm pool. Oh look, the "Open" swimmers decided to show up early.

I put in about 600 yards maneuvering around kickboards, pool toys, and oblivious parents before cashing in. I thought about stopping to lecture about the definition of "adult lap swim" but, given my recent mood, thought better of it. I did mention to the staff on the way out that I shouldn't have to enforce their rules and should be able to get my workout at the gym for what I pay for a family membership.

What do I have to do to get a workout?

I'll try again at the masters workout in the morning.

Cheers!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Vocabulary builder. Say what?

by , February 15th, 2009 at 11:42 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    nadir Noun
    1. the point in the sky directly below an observer and opposite the zenith
    2. the lowest or worst point of anything: I had touched the very nadir of despair [Arabic nazīr as-samt, literally: opposite the zenith]

self-pit·y
    (slfpt)n. Pity for oneself, especially exaggerated or self-indulgent pity.

no mas
    spanish
    In boxing shorthand, it became known as the No Más Fight after [Roberto] Duran was said to have uttered the infamous words while quitting the fight in the eighth round. Both he and his corner have always denied it, saying that he actually said that "my stomach is hurting too much" and that the press had doctored the quote to create the eye-catching headline.

audit
    n.
    An audit is an IRS examination of an individual or corporation's tax return, to verify its accuracy. There are three types of audits: correspondence audits (the IRS mails a request for additional information), office audits (an interview is conducted at a local IRS office), and field audits (an interview is conducted at a taxpayer's place of business, for a corporate tax return). Since there is always the chance of an audit, experts recommend keeping good records to support all the information in a return. The reason detailed and accurate bookkeeping is so important is that the burden of proof is on the filer, not the IRS.

Book of Job
    narrative summary
    There was an extremely pious man named Job. He was very prosperous and had seven sons, and three daughters. Constantly fearing that his sons may have sinned and "cursed God in their hearts" he habitually offered burnt offerings as a pardon for their sins.[2]
    The angels of heaven (the Hebrew word translated as "Angels" means "the Sons of God") and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan"]Satan[/ame] (literally, the Hebrew word means "the accuser" or "the adversary") present themselves to God. God asks Satan his opinion on Job, apparently a truly pious man. Satan answers that Job is only pious because he is prosperous. In response to Satan's assertion, God gives Satan permission to destroy Job's possessions and family.[3]
    All of Job's possessions are destroyed and all of his offspring are killed. Job does not curse God after this but instead shaves his head, tears his clothes and says "Naked I came out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return : the Lord has given, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord" (Simplified).[4]
    As Job endures these calamities without reproaching [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Providence"]Divine Providence[/ame], Satan solicits permission to afflict his person as well, and God says, "Behold he is in your hand, but don’t touch his life." Satan, therefore, smites him with dreadful [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boil"]boils[/ame], and Job, seated in ashes, scrapes his skin with broken pottery. His wife prompts him to "curse God, and die" but Job answers, "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" In all of this, Job doesn't sin by cursing God.
    In the meantime, only three of Job's friends come to visit him in his misfortune — Eliphaz the Temanite, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildad"]Bildad[/ame] the Shuhite, and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zophar"]Zophar[/ame] the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naamathite"]Naamathite[/ame]. A fourth, Elihu the Buzite, first begins talking in chapter 32 and bears a distinguished part in the dialogue; his arrival is not noted. The friends spend 7 days sitting on the ground with Job, without saying anything to him because they see that he is suffering and in much pain. Job at last breaks his silence and "curses the day he was born".

Buboes: Smooth, oval, reddened, and very painful swellings in the armpits, groin, or neck that occur as a result of infection with the plague.

Delusions of grandeur (as distinct from megalomania and delusions of persecution)

Delusions of grandeur may be seen as distinct from megalomania: An overweening and excessive preoccupation with one's own importance, though it may be considered pathological, is not necessarily delusional. A delusion of grandeur, if it is a true delusion, must meet the psychiatric criteria for delusion. Whereas it is possible, in the case of megalomania, for an actually important man/woman to be preoccupied with his/her own actual importance, a person suffering from delusions of grandeur would stubbornly entertain patently false, generally fantastic and often highly complex ideas of his/her own importance, often with a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernatural"]supernatural[/ame] or science-fictional bent.

Delusions of persecution may be intrinsically related to - and the flip-side of - delusions of grandeur in that the very idea that one is being persecuted by a complex of conspirators involves a sense of greatly elevated self-importance. Delusions of persecution, though generally disturbing and unpleasant - i.e. affectively different - can be seen to similarly arise from a grandiose self-conception.

Adj.1.babyish - characteristic of a baby; "babyish tears and petulance"immature - characteristic of a lack of maturity; "immature behavior"

rhinovirus,n any of about 100 serologically distinct, small ribonucleic acid viruses that cause about 40% of acute respiratory illnesses. Infection is characterized by dry, scratchy throat, nasal congestion, malaise, and headache. Fever is minimal. Nasal discharge lasts 2 or 3 days.

50 Freestyle SCM Men 55-59 (2008)
    # Name Age Club LMSC Time 1 Paul T Trevisan 57 SYSM Florida 25.16 2 Mike Tennant 55 OREG Oregon 25.94 3 Casey Claflin 55 TMM Florida 26.25 4 Wes Edwards 55 OREG Oregon 26.44 5 Greg J Shaw 57 NEM New England 26.51 6 Tate Holt 57 TAM Pacific 26.82 7 Edward Bell 55 SKY Kentucky 27.08 8 Larry Philbrick 56 OREG Oregon 27.14 9 James Thornton 56 TPIT Allegheny 27.16 10 Jim Clemmons 58 MAM Pacific 27.21

100 Freestyle SCM Men 55-59 (2008)

# Name Age Club LMSC Time 1 Paul T Trevisan 57 SYSM Florida 57.11 2 Mike Tennant 55 OREG Oregon 57.52 3 Phil L Dodson 55 IM Illinois 58.73 4 James Thornton 56 TPIT Allegheny 58.89 5 Jim Clemmons 58 MAM Pacific 59.06 6 Edward Bell 55 SKY Kentucky 59.52 7 George L Schmidt 58 GOLD Florida Gold Coast 59.69 8 Larry Krauser 55 HMS Inland Northwest 1:00.77 9 Tate Holt 57 TAM Pacific 1:00.92 10 Robert H Wilson 57 NMMS New Mexico 1:01.52

200 Freestyle SCM Men 55-59 (2008)

# Name Age Club LMSC Time 1 Phil Dodson 55 IM Illinois 2:06.97 2 Jim Clemmons 58 MAM Pacific 2:07.78 3 James Thornton 56 TPIT Allegheny 2:11.98 4 Kevin M McCormack 56 SYSM Florida 2:12.11 5 Edward Bell 55 SKY Kentucky 2:12.34 6 Rick B Walker 58 SYSM Florida 2:12.77 7 Mike Tennant 55 OREG Oregon 2:14.83 8 Mike Pendleton 56 OREG Oregon 2:15.48 9 Steve Heck 59 KAMS Gulf 2:16.57 10 John Needham 55 WM Metropolitan 2:18.44

400 Freestyle SCM Men 55-59 (2008)

# Name Age Club LMSC Time 1 Jim Clemmons 58 MAM Pacific 4:35.22 2 Larry Krauser 55 HMS Inland Northwest 4:36.79 3 Phil Dodson 55 IM Illinois 4:37.61 4 James Thornton 56 TPIT Allegheny 4:40.15 5 Alan Bell 58 PNA Pacific Northwest 4:47.22 6 John Needham 55 WM Metropolitan 4:49.81 7 Mike Pendleton 56 OREG Oregon 4:50.38 8 Fred Ferroggiaro 55 TOC Pacific 4:51.40 9 Edward Bell 55 SKY Kentucky 4:52.41 10 Frank Thompson 57 MICH Michigan 4:56.74

400 Individual Medley SCM Men 55-59 (2008)

# Name Age Club LMSC Time 1 Jim Clemmons 58 MAM Pacific 5:13.35 2 Hubie Kerns 59 VCM Southern Pacific 5:30.41 3 Robert V Brown 56 AWJ Georgia 5:37.71 4 Mike Tennant 55 OREG Oregon 5:38.39 5 James Thornton 56 TPIT Allegheny 5:47.02 6 Steve Heck 59 KAMS Gulf 5:53.73 7 William J Geoghegan 58 CONN Connecticut 6:06.97 8 Charles F Holum 56 CMS Colorado 6:12.97 9 James B Lucas 58 LAAC Southern Pacific 6:21.49 10 Don R Perry 55 ARIZ Arizona 6:25.54
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Sunday 2/15 - Second day of the meet

by , February 15th, 2009 at 07:42 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    It is finally over. My first event of the day went really well. Not a best time but very close for not being tapered. Went 1:29.26 only the 3rd time under 1:30 for the 100 Breast. Much better than my 50 Free which was 30.68 It is amazing how much difference between last week and this week.

Perhaps the best part of the meet was watching one of my 11 year olds swim her first 1650. She is the one I actually feel I can teach best since I have become a distance swimmer too. She took her 1650 out 22 seconds faster at the 1000 than the time she did on Friday night for the 1000.

Even when I don't do a best time I still can learn something from every race.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. 2-15 Sunday Workout Fun!

by , February 15th, 2009 at 05:30 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    nasti's workout!
    1) 400 Free Warm-up
    2) 5 X 200 Free on 3:45 (swim 150-stop 5 sec then sprint last 50)
    3) 8 X 100 on 2:00 alt Free/IM
    4) Super 500 (25's done Fly-all int 30 sec based)
    5) 6 X 50 on :50 all free for me
    6) 200 back cool-down
    We dried of quickly, threw on running clothes and ran 4 miles. My buddy and I ran 31:50. I was out of gas at finish. Got a bad head-ache on the way home. Other than that it was a good workout---my lady greyhound state victory has inspired me!
    Tomorrow is President's Day....that means the day off school! YIPEE!!!!
    I have jury duty on Tuesday; I guess you call after 5:00 pm on monday to see if they need you.
    I hope I get to do it, I've just always wanted to see what it's like.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. David Gregg III Memorial Meet 2-15-2009

by , February 15th, 2009 at 04:49 PM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    Warmup:
    400 easy free
    50 2-1-2 fly drill
    50 easy back
    50 easy breast
    2 starts with 25 sprints - 1 fly and 1 free
    100 easy free

200 IM - 3:10.59 - I went 3:09.33 in November
    Splits - 38.46/53.18/55.84/43.11
    The fly was a second and a half slower than in November and did not feel anywhere close to as good.
    Back felt pretty good and was 4 1/2 seconds faster than in November
    Breast was horrible and 4 seconds slower than November. I don't know what happened there. I think maybe I didn't cool down enough after my 500 on Saturday and I didn't warm up properly this morning.
    I tanked my turn in the free, jamming it and slipping. 43 seconds is just unacceptable since it's slower than I held in my 500.
    Not a lot good to say about this event other than my backstroke felt much better than it ever has.
    200 easy warmdown

200 warmup
    2x50 easy to midpoint, accelerate and work wall, breakout and several strokes, easy into wall
    100 very easy
    50 free - 30:13
    I had a good start and felt strong, but my wife said that I didn't rotate very much. I'll have to work on that I guess.:-( I looked back over my 50 free times and this is right in line with my slow improvement. In all fairness, I train more as a distance person or a middle distance person than I do as a sprinter. My speed is slowly improving, but it probably won't make big jumps without a change in training philosophy.

100 fly - 1:27.01
    Splits - 40.06/46.95
    I felt out of gas most of today, so I didn't have high hopes going into this event. I nearly scratched it after my 200 IM in fact. Julie talked me into doing it anyway. The first lap, I tried to take it out very easy and I felt okay, but the last couple of strokes on the first lap, I could feel the fatigue setting in. The last lap was an exercise in survival. I thought my legs were going to fall off the last 15 yards or so!!! Everyone says that I looked okay, other than shortening my stroke over the last 35 yards or so, but it felt like I was flailing! I'll keep working on it! And hey, I didn't drown or get DQed!
    250 easy one arm fly cooldown.

1900 yards

Updated February 16th, 2009 at 02:48 PM by Iwannafly (Add times and splits.)

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  18. Birthday 4400 fly day

well, i had to break this up a bit more than i had planned due to my training "vacation". i attended my first yoga class in months yesterday and it was heavy in arm balancing postures. needless to say, my arms were spent, my hammys were tight and my lower back stiff before i even got wet. i had a breakfast of espresso w/cardamom, greek yoghurt, aspirin and plavix and headed to the pool.
    i knocked down a chocolate gu before starting.

20 x 25 fly on :30
    50 free ez on 1:00
    20 x 25 fly on :30
    50 ez free on 1:00
    2nd gu
    10 x 50 fly on 1:00
    100 ez free on 2:00
    10 x 50 fly on 1:00
    100 ez on 2:00
    'nother 1/2 gu

8 rounds of:
    1 x 100 fly
    2 x 50 fly
    4 x 25 fly
    50 ez free

my arms didn't cooperate enough to push the base interval faster than 30 sec/25 yd but it felt good to check this workout off the list...

nap time.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Driving slow on Sunday morning...

by , February 15th, 2009 at 12:00 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Back felt tight this morning so I opted for a swim versus a go on a cardio machine.

100-500-100 pyramid on 1:40/100
    The back half began to weigh on me though, and I was not getting much rest but that's a good thing as it's a workout. Still held my stroke together and didn't have to pad the intervals.
    5 x 100 K mod, board and fins 1 FR, 4 x FL.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. swam in dallas

by , February 15th, 2009 at 11:42 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sun Feb 15th 2009

TRAINING for SPEED and STRENGTH

NEXT MEET:
    USA Swimming Austin Grand Prix Austin TX
    Thursday March 5 - Saturday March 7, 2009
    18 days away
    Meet format: Short Course AM, Long Course PM
    http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquatics/meets
    entered the following events
    #05 100 Butterfly 52.63
    #08 200 IM 2:00.32
    #18 100 Backstroke 54.05
    #24 200 Backstroke 2:21.04
    #26 100 Freestyle 48.85

MEET: 2009 South Central Zone USMS Championships
    Friday March 27 - Sun March 29, 2009

MEET: Masters Nationals
    Fri May 8 - Sunday May 10

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE
    9:00 - 10:00
    Bobby Patton coached
    LCM in DALLAS at SMU outdoor pool
    swam with patti, liam, david swenson, jason fink, & jim dolan
    jay yarid was nice enough to lead me to the pool, saw mook rhodenbaugh & eddie sinnot

500 warm up

10 x 50 on 1:00
    done
    odds 25 dr 25 sw
    even 50 fr easy

12 x 50
    1 12.5 fast 37.5 easy
    2 25 fast 25 easy
    3 37 fast 12 easy
    5 50 easy

200 easy

6 x 50 on1:30 37.5 fast 12.5 easy