View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Obsession de-escalates: Progress?

by , October 21st, 2009 at 04:33 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Today is one of the last fair weather days we Pittsburghers are likely to see till June.

Since I live in a sort of woodsy setting, with only one neighbor nearby, and that nearby neighbor apparently out for the day, I took the opportunity to subject my lesion to a new self-help cure attempt.

Before describing this one-two-three therapy I am attempting, let me briefly describe the theoretical basis for this intervention.

A one-time frequent poster to these forums, the Mayo Clinic's very own Dr. Tom Jaeger, AKA, Jaegermeister, opined to me through a private message (which I had earnestly and somewhat shamelessly solicted) that:
    A) my pictures of the lesion made him chuckle (what an enormous relief! I know Tom to be the most honorable of all doctors, and surely chuckling at a patient's terminal condition is something he would never, ever do on purpose; thus, from his reaction, I intuited the likelihood that I will live)
    B) that he could not diagnose the condition long-distance, but judging from appearances, he had a "hunch" it was fungal (you will recall that our favorite beloved fake doctor, that is to say, me, came to the very same conclusion last week)
    Armed thusly with this new insight from Minnesota, and inspired by the virtually unheard of appearance of the sun in our parts, I began Sherlocke Holmsing some possibilities.

Ille: Fungus. Hmm. What do we know about fungus?

Hic: Well, a mushroom is a fungus.

Ille: Yes, yes. It is, isn't it? And where do mushrooms prosper?

Hic: I am fairly certain that mushrooms, like vicious gossip about the size of Jim Thornton's manhood, prosper in the dark.

Ille: Yes, the dark! And what else?

Hic: Mushrooms like moisture, as well. Dark, moist, dare I say dank chambers! Like a basement in the Delta Delta Delta sorority house.

Ille: Yes, they do like such places. Again, the same venue as where vicious gossip prospers, too. So, what do you think we should do about making the mushrooms in Jim's lesion uncomfortable?

Hic: That is elementary, my dear Ille! Sunburn and dessication therapy!

Ille: Exactement!

Today's picture reveals the lesion after:

1. 10 minutes of full sunbathing on the front porch
    2. a shower with Ivory soap
    3. 15 minutes of high speed fan blown directly upon the lesion
    4. cotton balls to soak up the epithelial moisture

After the above therapy, I quickly photographed the lesion for today's visual progress report then anointed the area with the second thin layer of antibiotic cream, packed wound with further layers of cotton balls and toilet paper, put on clean underwear to hold the packing in place, and began writing the vlog.

Life, however, does not stop for a vloggist, but rather continues to crank out new elements to examine and suffer or be delighted by.

As Epictetus himself so nicely put it:
    Time is a river, and a violent stream, and as soon as a thing is seen, another takes its place, and this too will be carried away.
    One of each of these species of distraction accosted me as I was preparing to upload today's picture.

On the delightful side, the phone rang, and after a number of cautious inquiries by a female voice on the other hand, it was determined that I am me, at which point the lovely Anna Lea Matysek announced her own identity.

She was calling to tell me that she is an expert on Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, and that I am not a victim of it. Tragically, her father died from the condition a decade ago, most likely the result of taking and developing an allergic reaction to the sulfa drug Bactrim. He might have avoided the condition altogether except that his immune system was already compromised by chemo therapy for non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

I asked Anna Lea if it was possible that I had Johnson's-Steven Syndrome instead of Steven's Johnson Syndrome, at which point her husband and (web) master, Jim Matysek, could be heard opining in the background that I definitely appear to have some sort of Johnson syndrome.

Perhaps not wishing to offend me, he quickly added, Maximus Johnson Syndrome, to which I had no choice but to come completely clean on such a front and add, "It is obvious he has never been in the basement of Delta Delta Delta."

On the suffering side, our phone conversation was suddenly interrupted by the leaf blowing, lawn mowing sounds of heavy machinery outside my lady-bug-encrusted windows.

The lawn guy had arrived with his arsenal of plant torturing devices.

Linus!

I realized that our beloved Linus, the family guinea pig, whom we will only eat in the absolutely most dire of protein-deficient circumstances , if even then, we love him so much, was outside grazing on the hydrangea and enjoying the freedom that comes from being a guinea pig owned by benevolent owners.

Our two pugs, Lefty and Biscuit, were out guarding him from hawks. (We are pretty sure that Linus, who cannot see himself in a mirror, and thus has no idea what he looks like, has come to the conclusion that he is a pug. The three of them get along quite well and I am sure Lefty and Biscuit have no designs on making him into a meal, either.)

Dragging Anna Lea via portable phone out into the cacophony of the afternoon, I ran up to the lawn guy and told him to not harvest Linus by mistake with his leaf blower.

I wasn't able to find Linus--he may have taken refuge in a burrow. But I suspect he will come back home when it's time for his nightly carrot.

Okay, now, what I suspect you have all been waiting for: today's lesion update picture.

Maybe I am deluding myself, but it does look to this fake doctor's eye that a wee, wee, wee bit of improvement is now discernible in the flayed skin.

Or maybe it's just true that, with the exception of mushrooms, pretty much everything looks better with a tan.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Grrrrr!! Pool was too warm again.

by , October 21st, 2009 at 02:05 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    The pool has been getting warmer each day this week. I'd bet it was near 88 this morning.

SCY with Carrie

400 swim
    (did 200 free and 200 back)
    300 IM drill
    200 pull choice
    (free w/buoy only)
    100 swim no free
    (kicked this)

2x around: {
    3 x 200 fr. on 3:10
    (swam these at 2:50)
    4 x 75 fr descend 1-4 on 1:20: #4 is FAST
    (Rd 1 did free, 1:02->:56
    Rd 2 did back, 1:08->1:02)
    }

swim down 100
    --
    Total: 2900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Wed OCT 21th, 2009

by , October 21st, 2009 at 09:13 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed OCT 21st, 2009

shortcut to this blog is http://tr.im/andeblog

jammed my right middle finger on a fast touch Monday, it's less swollen & hurts a bit

Next MEET: 2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships
    December 4th - 6th, 2009 at Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

43 Days till Long Beach

my kick count is FOUR OR MORE

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY no blocks
    5:30 - 6:30
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center main pool
    Swam with todd, tyler, & marcio,
    beside brad nate & ned

WORE brief

warm up
    200 fr
    200 im dr
    200 fr

MAIN SET

assigned: 400
    did: 300

100 IM went 1:07

8 x 50 k
    4 on 45
    4 on 40

assigned 100 fr pull on 1:05
    did 50 fr with 6 sdks
    went 30

assigned 200 fr on 2:10
    did 2 x 50 with 6 sdks
    held 30's

assigned 300 fr pull on 3:15
    did 3 x 50 fr with 6 sdks
    held 30's

assigned 400 fr pull on 4:20
    did 4 x 50 fr with 6 sdks
    held 29's

4 x 50 k on 40
    made it

assigned 8 x 75 on 1:10
    did 8 x 25 SDK shooters on 1:10
    held 13's & 14's

50 easy

Updated October 22nd, 2009 at 10:47 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Sprint attempt in progress

by , October 21st, 2009 at 08:07 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I felt slow and sluggish but still tried to sprint some.

10x100@2:00 Free 1/2 pull 1/2 kick

Use fins on all of the main set
    100 Free for time 1:01
    200 Free kick EZ
    2x50@1:30 Free went :30 and :28
    200 Free kick EZ
    4x25@:45 Free went 14, 14, 13, 14
    200 Free kick EZ
    100 Free for time 1:02
    200 Free kick EZ
    2x50@1:30 Free went :29 and :29
    200 Free kick EZ

no fins for the rest
    4x50 from dive 15 meter breakouts rest EZ
    300 warm down

Total 3000 yards

Updated October 21st, 2009 at 08:27 AM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Matrix Set (without Neo)

by , October 21st, 2009 at 12:17 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    AQUM - Coach Janine.
    This is the first time Ive seem a workout that was literally written out in a matrix format.
    I don't remember the exact placement, however the numbers indicate laps (one length)
    Each cell is done on 5:00 with one minute rest between cells. Each line is continuous, done IM.

Fly BK BR FR
    2 4 1 3
    2 4 1 3
    etc....
    So the workout translates to...
    1x25 Fly, 1x50 BK, 1x75 BR, 1x100FR
    1x25 Fly, 1x50 BK, 1x75 BR, 1x100FR
    1:00 rest
    1x50 Fly, 1x100 BK, 1x25 BR, 1x75 FR
    1x50 Fly, 1x100 BK, 1x25 BR, 1x75 FR
    1x75 Fly, 1x50 BK, 1x100 BR, 1x25 FR
    1x75 Fly, 1x50 BK, 1x100 BR, 1x25 FR
    1x100 Fly, 1x25 BK, 1x75 BR, 1x50 FR
    1x100 Fly, 1x25 BK, 1x75 BR, 1x50 FR
    Everyone left, so I continued with:
    Sprint
    6x25 FR
    Sprint FAST w/fins on 3:00 (held :11)
    By this time the seniors were cooling down and starting to pull the covers.
    100 cool

Looking at my FLOG, I'm in a serious w/o deficit, my left shoulder has been hurting for a few weeks, especially before and during the last meet. So I haven't been working out as much, taking a few days off at a time. Its feeling better and its more muscle/ligament fatigue than joint pain.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Genesis, part i

by , October 20th, 2009 at 11:45 PM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    “If a man take no thought about what is distant, he will find sorrow near at hand.”
    -Confucius
    Origins of the Tropical Splash
    2003 Recollections

WHY
    In 2003, our team ended the fall-winter season with a $2800 budget deficit. We survived going into the spring and summer seasons by virtue of a loan, and by paying obligations with income from the next season. We made progress at chipping away the deficit, but we needed a fundraiser and a swim meet was one possibility.

Over the summer, our county rec center pools were contacted to determine the rental cost for a meet. We chatted with officials and other meet directors during local meets. The USMS Rule Book was scrutinized, especially the sections about meet conduct and facilities.

In looking at other meet programs, it was determined that swimmers enter an average of 3 events in a local meet. Prices we got for pool rental, officials, program printing, awards, etc were assembled into a spreadsheet blender, and voila! We could wipe out our remaining deficit with a swim meet. Ga-ching!

It was believed that holding a meet brought a certain respect and prominence to our team, and might help with attracting more members. Well, some people thought that. I believed the 'vice-presidential selection theory' applied - a good meet would do no good, but a bad meet would be disastrous.

WHEN
    We did not want to compete with another meet in our LMSC, and decided to stay away from the months where established meets existed, leaving 7 months to choose from. We were considering one of three SCY pools, so the LCM season was out, leaving 5 months. We did not want to compete with Nationals or Zones, leaving 3 months. We did not want the meet at the start of our Fall season, leaving 2 months - January and February. February had 2-day SCY meets in next door Virginia and Maryland LMSC's, leaving January as the only option.

Years before, we sent swimmers to a January SCY meet at Wilson High School in Washington DC. The meet was in a decrepit pool, had limited volunteers, and had dwindling participants each year. (As an aside, my 100 breast at the meet had 3 timers - with a 2-second spread among them. I think it was the 8-year old timer that threw off the results.) This meet was discontinued a year earlier, and some of us thought we could revive that date on the meet calendar and take its place. There were no other meets in January to compete with.

WHERE
    Our club swims at three different Fairfax County rec centers. Upon evaluation, each facility had serious flaws for a local Masters swim meet. We settled on Lee District Rec Center, a 50-meter x 25-yard mama with ample lockers, parking, bleachers and deck space. It was always set up in the middle as a SCY course (no movable bulkheads). Its problems included the need for a floating platform for the starter, and a long walk around the deep end for officials working one side of the pool. The backstroke flags were 20-feet in the air, suspended from the rafters, and each was a slightly different distance from the wall.

With the date and pool set and financial due diligence complete, we proudly started the planning . . .
    [2B continued]

BOOK OF WISDOM
    • A realistic budget with real costs determines if the meet is financially viable.
    • Before selecting a date, know what your meet's competition is (more on this later).

Updated November 10th, 2009 at 07:05 AM by Rnovitske

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Photo-tuesday

by , October 20th, 2009 at 11:01 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Shortly after I got home from work my youngest daughter caming blowing through and announced there would be a photo shoot in the house tonight!
    The shoot was to be a parody on photo's of a famous person, place, or thing. Sarah was doing a food-fest spread with a fake Angelina Jolie. An attractive (borderline anorexic) XC teammate agreed to play Angelina. My job was to locate the various platters, serving utensils, foods, and locations in my house that matched the 3 photo's she was going to parody.
    To make a long story short the shoot was a great success. It's amazing what heavy eye make-up, dark lipstick, and slicked-back hair can do to a young girl.
    The advanced photography class Sarah's taking has been amazing. I've spent a few Sunday afternoon's on shoots with her. She usually has some ideas in her mind and we drive around Indy looking for the concrete object to photograph. I doubt that she'll ever use her skills professionally, but she can do some cool things with the camera!
    The class has also taught her a new way to view her surroundings. She notices details, textures, light sources, and beauty in things usually not noticed by the average gaze. It makes me wish I could go back to high school. I would appreciate it lots more if I could do it again.

I was 15 minutes late to our 1 hour practice. I ended up swimming 2,200 scy of random sets. I never did get the gist of the workout. I will do better tomorrow. (focus and full workout)

Tomorrow = Teacher work day! No kids and a full day to work and get organized!
    Thursday and Friday = Fall Break! I'm going to hang around the house, work on some projects, socialize a bit, and swim every day.

Two weeks till the Fall Classic meet at the IU Natatorium. This meet is the 1st leg of the 3 part TYR Master's Grand Prix Series. I'm signed up for: 1,500, 800, 400, 200, and 50 Freestyles, 200 IM, 100 IM, 50 Fly, 100 Fly, and 200 Back. (2 day meet) I'm not sure I want to swim all 10 events. I'll go down with the intent to do 'em all but I won't be upset if I bag one or two of them.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Obsession Escalates: Third Vlog Today

by , October 20th, 2009 at 10:30 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)

The doctor is in!

I was just able to cajole the lovely death doctor, Heather Rietz, MD, a great swimmer and Facebook friend, who knows more about "icing on the cake" in corpses than all of us put together, to agree to a Q & A about my groin infection.

This is what Dr. Reitz had to say:

James

heather, can you do me a huge favor?
    10:04pmHeather

Depends (LOL).
    No I will not lick your wound.
    10:05pmJames

can you go to my vlog and look at my lesion and offer me the benefit of your pathologist's thoughts?
    did you see today's pix?
    http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=5972
    10:05pmHeather

It looks pretty nasty but it maybe looks better.
    10:05pmJames

it is the weirdest thing
    10:06pmHeather

Did you acquire this in the wilderness?
    10:06pmJames

does it look like MRSA or Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis
    i am not sure where i got it.
    it showed up a week or so after the wilderness
    a very small little crack in the skin tha itched
    10:07pmHeather

Could be. I guess. Hard to tell now that it has been treated. Did your doctor culture it?
    10:08pmJames

not yet, he took blood tests to see if it was rocky mountain spotted fever
    i am so so so sick of it
    can't swim
    10:08pmHeather

Hmmm...are you systemically ill in any way?
    10:09pmJames

when i first got back from idaho, i had a really bad cold that went away faster than any cold i had ever had (3-4 days). then i noticed this tiny little itchy area, tried to treat it with antifungals and cortisone cream, and it got much worse
    and has since lingered despite antibiotics and antibiotic cream
    10:10pmHeather

It looks more bacterial to me. May just take more time.
    Isn't one of your 500 some friends a dermatologist?
    10:10pmJames

i wish!
    i am an impatient sick person
    prone to catastrophizing
    10:11pmHeather

I would be much better at helping you if you sliced off a piece, put it in formalin so I could make a slide!
    10:11pmJames

can i buy that stuff at radio shack?
    10:12pmHeather

I am impatient too. I would hate anything that kept me out of the pool. LOL!
    10:12pmJames

oh, oh! it has been steadily "weeping" very slight amounts of pinkish fluid
    10:12pmHeather

I think that you need to go to AZ and go to Kurt Dickson's ER!
    Does sound kind of blisterish!
    10:13pmJames

the only strange symptom besides this is that the surround skin, as far back as the the first half of the left butt cheek, feels kind of almsot sunburned and sensitive
    sorry for the lack of humor here!
    major psychopathology taking hold
    10:13pmHeather

Be more likely to find formalin at a place like McDonald's!
    10:14pmJames

Okay., could I have a Big Mac and a Petri dish? And yes, I do want fries with that
    10:14pmHeather

That's very odd. Not good to be a medical mystery!
    10:14pmJames

the perfect storm for us nondelusional hypochondriacs
    10:14pmHeather

I think that you would be much more ill if it was MRSA!
    10:15pmJames

yes, probably. i wonder if it could be a spider bite?
    i'd hoped that land exercise wouldn't be bad for it, but the sweat didn't seem to help
    it's almost like a burn
    10:15pmHeather

Could be. Brown recluse spider bites can be nasty like that.
    10:15pmJames

i don't think they have them in Idaho
    10:15pmHeather

Yes I would say that it has to be kept as dry as possible.
    I suppose other types of spiders could cause a similar reaction.
    I would say if it's not significantly better by Thursday GO BACK!
    10:17pmJames

well, thanks for listening. I might try to postpone my daily pictures unless there is something noticeably changed
    10:17pmHeather

Might need stronger drugs!
    10:17pmJames

Okay. I doubt it will have changed much by then.
    Would cortisone be a mistake on top on the antibiotic ointment? I suppose you want inflammationfor healing
    right now, it just kind of burns
    10:18pmHeather

I would just put the antibiotic ointment on it. Burning could mean it's healing!
    10:18pmJames

thanks, heather. you can have my body to look at when i expire
    10:19pmHeather

FANTASTIC! Hopefully I'll be retired by then.
    10:19pmJames

i will be your advisor for affaires de la coeur. You can be mine for infections of the groin.
    pretty much the same thing, when it comes down to it
    10:19pmHeather

Ha! Ha! Have a good night. Hope that you get back to the pool soon!
    10:20pmJames

thanks. one last thing. have you ever heard of someone having a permanent groin infection that never goes away and just makes the person miserable for the rest of his hopeless life? and if so, is this common?
    10:21pmHeather

I don't think so. It should heal. You should know that you're not supposed to keep "touching" yourself down there. It will make your tallywacker fall off and you will go blind!
    10:22pmJames

Great advice. I only wish I had learned it 57 years earlier. I am going to copy and post this conversation on my vlog for the benefit of my fellow members in the Mysterious Groin Affliction Sufferers
    Support Group!
    TTYL
    10:22pmHeather

Cool!
    10:23pmJames

Ciao!

The doctor is out.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Good swim with the kids

by , October 20th, 2009 at 10:14 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Jumped in for an hour workout with the youngsters. Again, so great to be working out in a group. Wish I could have done the whole workout, but have to get out halfway through to take son to piano.

Feeling good and strong in the water. Hope to hold my weight and body fat (got it checked the other day) where it is as I feel good right now.

Anyway, here is the workout:

Warm-up (long) - 1300 yards (did 500 free, 400 reverse I.M. kick/swim/drill/swim)

4 x (75 all-out sprint, 300 easy)
    Did all the 75s fly - a big deal for me!

100 easy

2900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. A turn for the worse

by , October 20th, 2009 at 07:12 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Maybe the watched buboe never heals.

After 2.5 hours of tennis, during which I played like a leper, and the only thing that kept me awake was the leeching of sweat into my lesion, and the occasional jokes of my adversaries ("If you had gotten that in France, it would be a French foreign lesion"), I got back, removed the bandage, took a shower, and photographed what I must acknowledge--at the risk of biasing the viewer--represents a setback.

Does it look to you, as it does to me, that this is just the first step in a process by which my skin will begin to tear off my body in sheets?

Perhaps I should document the lesion's progress, or lack thereof, or backsliding, as such is the case, on a somewhat less frequent basis.

Here is the run down, from Sunday, to Monday, to today's post-tennis state:

Sunday and still arguably the worst

Monday--apparent improvement (though it probably has more to do with lighting than actual improvement)

Today, post tennis--a likely step backwards.

If any of you know a doctor willing to diagnose me by pictures alone, and who will then send me the magic healing elixir I so desperately crave, please refer my case as soon as you have finished your dinner of boeuf au jeu and red wine or whatever else goes well with this kind of vlog.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Going to Boston, Tues. Oct. 20

by , October 20th, 2009 at 05:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Did some hypoxic work on my 5 day rest plan:

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick, drill

Hypoxic Kick Work:

6 x 100 back w/fins @ 2:00, 10 kicks each 25
    (since I came up a couple yards before the flags, this was almost like 4 consecutive shooters)

100 EZ

Speed work:

4 x 50 dolphin kick w/fins
    50 = 25 cruiser hypoxic kick + 25 AFAP shooter

100 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP + 25 EZ)

150 EZ

Total: 2050

Massage:

Got a deep tissue massage today. Was totally mashed and feel rather beat up and tired. Probably take 2 days to recover. lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

A 5 day "rest" is approximately what I did before the Albatross meet in March. I looked back and saw that I was doing around 2000+ with only fast 25s, a few fast 50s, hypoxic work and easy speed fly. So hopefully, I won't have leaden legs by Sunday.

SCM Meet:

Booked flight to Boston today. Weighed the pros and cons overnight. Chose Boston b/c: 50 back isn't the first event, better order of events, I can swim the 100 back, longer meet so more rest, 10:00 am start, the MIA Stud may go, and it's slightly cheaper. This is my third travel meet of the year, which is rather unusual for me (Auburn, Indy, Boston), but I really wanted to swim SCM. I think I'll be passing on a major SCY travel meet next year as a result to avoid undue marital discord. Plus, I may go somewhere fun and cool on Spring Break instead of planning life around spring meets! I may have to be creative in finding a SCY meet to taper for in the spring. There's always Zones, of course, and I definitely will swim that meet. But it could arrive shortly after not swimming for a week if I go away for spring break.

Plan on swimming the following line up at NE Champs, reserving the right to scratch of course.

Saturday:

100 IM
    50 evil
    50 back
    50 free

Sunday:

50 fly
    100 back
    100 free
    (If I do 100 free, I may go for another 50 free split if my Saturday effort isn't the best.)

This is the exact same line up I swam at the NE Champs in 2007. I see they left 200 fly until almost the last event of the meet, but that still does not tempt me!

Jimby and I chatted about meets earlier today. He opined that it was perhaps merely "superstitious" that I would want actual rest between events to clear lactate and such. This is clearly mid-D speak!

Food:

Since I stopped blogging my food, I think I've gotten sloppier about eating. I still eat very healthy, but I think I've been eating more than I need to and too many slices of pie. I also had a conversation with She Puff the other day that caused me to wonder about calories from liquids. She mentioned she was dehydrated from the hot yoga. I suggested coconut water and she asked me how many calories it was. I didn't know. But I checked and it's 70. Between that, endurox, G2, and the smoothies I was addicted to all summer (and the chard), I may be swilling down too many drinkable calories. Have to ponder that.

I also may consider a 30 day ban on alcohol ala Q and Patrick before NE Champs. But this is rather extreme. lol

Updated October 20th, 2009 at 06:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  12. 2 in a row!

Was late - I know you are all shocked.

250 Free
    2 x 125 Kick
    100 IM drill

3 x (2 x 75 (50 drill/25 swim) 4 x 25 build, 2 x 75Kick)
    Only one round could be free, you had to do the same stroke the whole round.
    Round 1 Fly
    Round 2 Breast
    Round 3 Free

Ran out of time or else I would have had

8 x 75
    1-4 fly/back/breast
    5-8 back/breast/free

Feeling better, antibiotics are kicking in. Meet Sunday will be interesting. DEFINITELY wearing my B70!!!

Swimming
    400 Free
    100 Breast - if I'm under 2:00 it'll be a victory
    100 Free
    50 Back - If it resembles backstroke I'll be happy.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Anatomy of a Nutty

by , October 20th, 2009 at 01:28 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Regular vlog readers may recall that I have long made a distinction between two forms of hypochondria:

• the delusional form, wherein a sufferer imagines he or she has a serious illness, becomes obsessed with it, and eventually cannot be dissuaded out of this belief despite all medical evidence to the contrary

• the non-delusional form, which is identical to the above with but one subtle distinction, i.e., that the sufferer knows full well his or her beliefs are irrational but nevertheless still can't shake their obsessive hold

The Masters swimming world, I have learned, has no shortage of both forms of this disorder. For purposes of lively debate, let me just throw out Leslie "the Fortress" Livingston and Paul "the Hulk" Wolfe as prototypical exemplars of Type 1, and myself as a text book example of Type 2.

Note: if either Leslie or Paul happen to read the above paragraph and take even minor offense at my suggestion, I think we can all agree that this proves, beyond doubt, the validity of my diagnosis.

Call their rancor a positive Thornton Sign.

We armchair clinicians have long understood that delusional hypochondriacs always express a positive Thornton Sign when confronted with an accurate diagnosis of their disorder. The condition is, alas, ego alien, and sufferers will do anything in their powers to spit the hook, so to speak.

Non-delusional hypochondriacs, on the other hand, just as invariably express a negative Thornton sign. To us, hypochondria is hardly alien to our sense of self; it is, alas, all too ego syn-tonic. Thus we will not debate our diagnosis but rather acknowledge it via a kind of hopeless existential shrug with which both Sartre and Kafka were so intimately familiar.

The following passage by Mr. Kafka, I think, perfectly captures the mindset of those of us in the non-delusional hypochondriacal world.

It was very early in the morning, the streets clean and deserted, I was on my way to the station. As I compared the tower clock with my watch I realized it was much later than I had thought and that I had to hurry; the shock of this discovery made me feel uncertain of the way, I wasn't very well acquainted with the town as yet; fortunately, there was a policeman at hand, I ran to him and breathlessly asked him the way. He smiled and said: "You asking me the way?" "Yes," I said, "since I can't find it myself." "Give it up! Give it up!" said he, and turned with a sudden jerk, like someone who wants to be alone with his laughter.

My non-delusional hypochondriacal twin brother, John, is good friends with the non-delusional hypochondriacal screen writer Jon Cohen (Jon's most famous screenplay was Minority Report). Jon, who could be our triplet psychiatrically speaking, coined a term for episodes of our form of the disease: nutties.

I am slowly being sucked into a nutty right now, and I thought it might prove enlightening to those who have never suffered one to see the sequence--and perhaps reassuring to fellow travelers that you are not entirely alone in the murky world where "give it up! give it up!" is the best advice you will ever get.

Step 1. An actual symptom appears somewhere on your body or within your mood. In this case, the actual symptom was the first tiny mottled skin lesion in, well, you know very well where the tiny mottled skin lesion was.

Step 2. Attempt at John Wayning the thing away. Ignore, deny, and assume that the body is resilient, such buboes are temporary, the best cure for any medical problem is to ignore it.

Step 3. Persistence of symptom, with or without worsening, though worsening does tend to get ones attention.

Step 4. Attempts at self cure via over the counter products.

Step 5. Asking friends about it; trying to corner a doctor on your swimming team into looking at the lesion and offering free medical advice.

Step 6. Short-lived last attempt regression to Step 2.

Step 7. Internet research

Step 8. Go to a doctor and take his or her recommendation, expecting fairly quick improvement

Step 9. When improvement fails to occur within 17 minutes, more Internet research.

Step 10. Constant monitoring.

Step 11. Attempts to clarify your thoughts on the nature of the buboe and its possible causes by writing these thoughts down.

Step 12. Recruiting new technologies, like a Logitech QuikCapture webcam and blog capabilities, to contribute your thoughts to the Internet

Step 13. Accidentally discover new possibilities for the buboe's cause, possibilities that actually have some plausible connection to your own case, such as a side effect to a drug you have taken for other reasons. Case-in-point:

FDA issues warning for Provigil

(Reuters) UPDATED 2007-10-24
    Provigil, a medication used to treat excessive sleepiness, may cause serious skin rashes and suicidal thoughts, according to a warning from the Food and Drug Administration. Rare incidents of life-threatening skin rashes and psychiatric symptoms in patients with a history of depression and mania have been reported with Provigil use. Patients with narcolepsy or obstructive sleep apnea who take the drug to help stay awake should stop taking the medication if they develop such reactions.

Step 14. Follow up the new suspect with additional Internet research:

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis are two forms of the same life-threatening skin disease that cause rash, skin peeling, and sores on the mucous membranes.

• Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis usually are caused by drugs or a bacterial infection.
    • Typical symptoms for both diseases include fever, body aches, a flat red rash, blisters that break out on the mucous membranes, and small areas of peeling skin (Stevens-Johnson syndrome) or large areas of peeling skin (toxic epidermal necrolysis).
    • Affected people are hospitalized in a burn unit, given fluids and sometimes corticosteroids and antibiotics and all suspected drugs are stopped.

In Stevens-Johnson syndrome, a person has blistering of mucous membranes, typically in the mouth, eyes, and vagina, and patchy areas of rash. In toxic epidermal necrolysis, there is a similar blistering of mucous membranes, but in addition the entire top layer of the skin (the epidermis) peels off in sheets from large areas of the body. Both disorders can be life threatening.

Step 15. Clammy dread begins to seep into ones pores, and the mind becomes increasingly hi-jacked with thoughts of ones dermis beginning to peel off in sheets, which leads to more frantic internet searches for photographs documenting this outcome

Step 16. The word nonsense! echoes through the back eddies of the non-delusional hypochondriac's mind, often in close tandem with such worries are madness!

From these early stages 1-16, of course, the nutty only begins to gain strength like a ligature being twisted with the help of an inserted stick to provide leverage and torque.

How quickly the narrowing spiral tightens!

Alas, it is only starting. And as much as we know what we must do, we cannot yet do it. We have not become sufficiently exhausted. The prospect of our flesh tearing off our bodies -- such worries are madness! --still seems a fate to be avoided. We remain too energetic to view flaying as salvation.

Much further in the future still is the only mindset that ever ends one nutty and inaugurates the interlude of peace before the next one starts:

"Give it up! Give it up!" said he, and turned with a sudden jerk, like someone who wants to be alone with his laughter.

Pictorial groin update later today, after tennis.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -10/21/09 -SCY

by , October 20th, 2009 at 01:00 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    2 X 200 3:20
    2 X 100 1:40
    4 X 75 kick 1:40
    4 X 50 kick 1:05
    4 X 25 kick*fast,no board* :40
    2 X 100 1:30
    2 X 200 3:00

3 X 50 easy 1:00
    1 X 50 @100% 1:00
    1 X 75 @ 100% 1:30
    1 X 100 @ 100%
    Swim the set twice.
    Easy swims are free, others are choice.

12 X 25
    odd: build to race finish
    even: blocks, sprint 25

1 X 50
    From the blocks @ 100%

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

3700Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Tuesday, 10/20/09

by , October 20th, 2009 at 12:41 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

300 swim free
    300 kick choice
    200 IM alt. drill/swim by 25
    swim 4 x 50 free descend 1-4 on 50
    (went 39-37-37-36)

3x around
    {
    2 x 75 w/15 sec. rest: 50 drill, 25 swim
    swim 4 x 25 build on :40
    kick 2 x 75 w/15 sec. rest
    (fly on #1, free on #2, back on #3)
    }
    50 easy

swim 6 x 75 on 1:30
    (#1 fly/bk/br, #2, 4, & 6 back, #3 & 5 free)

swim down 100
    --
    Total: 2800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Tue OCT 20th, 2009 55 100 FL, 54 100 BK,

by , October 20th, 2009 at 11:34 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue OCT 20th, 2009

the shortcut to my blog is
    http://tr.im/andeblog

jammed my right middle finger on a fast touch yesterday, it's swollen & it hurts

Next MEET: 2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships
    December 4th - 6th, 2009 at Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

44 Days till Long Beach

watched [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=196637&postcount=1283"]Morning swim show with Ariana Kukors[/ame]
    around 6 minutes in the show she says she has a kick count that she does in practice off of every wall, 6

I tried doing 6 kicks off every wall, it's hard,
    for now my kick count is FOUR OR MORE

WEIGHTS world gym

lat press 8 x 40 8 x 45 8 x 50 6 x 55

bench press 8 x 135 5 x 185

lat pull 8 x 165 6 x 195

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY no blocks
    6:30 - 8:00
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center main pool
    Swam with paul, marcio, todd, tyler, jon, ned & erin

WORE brief

warm up
    150 fr 50 fl dr 50 k
    150 fr 50 bk 50 k
    150 fr 50 br 50 k
    150 fr 50 fr 50 k

changed into B70 legs

MAIN SET

assigned: 5:00 swim holding 5 k pace
    did: 4 easy 50's

100 fly fast for time
    roll start
    worked the SDK cruised the swimming
    went 55

did: 4 or 5 easy 50's

100 BK fast for time
    8 SDKs off each wall
    went 54

did: 4 or 5 easy 50's

100 br fast for time
    went 1:08

did: 2 easy 50's

skipped the fast 100 fr

skipped the 800 IM set with fins

50 SDK fast
    roll start off side
    went 24.3

Updated October 20th, 2009 at 04:57 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  17. Thanks Nitro!

I swam with the Nitro Masters this morning. Though I was disappointed that the pool was gull-less, Steve, Tom, Dave, and Lynne were good company.

Lynne was one of my relay partners in the Lake Travis Trek (63 miles). She is planning to enter the MIMS in june and has a couple of other big swims on the horizon.

Nitro is a nice facility... pretty basic steel building built around a 50m pool. I thought it was dark inside. The lighting runs the length of the pool deck, which gives ample light at the walls, but its dark in the middle, so a bit of extra caution was required on the fly sets.

Yesterday, I was swimming in the rain at Aquatic Park... water temp 57 - 58; air temp colder, so I had a bit of a chuckle when I heard some folks complaining that the water was cold... I thought I was going to have a heat stroke.

The main set was an IM ladder:
    200 IM
    400 FR
    600 IM
    600 FR
    400 IM
    200 FR

I shared a lane with Steve and Lynne, and Steve is crazy fast and led the lane (in board shorts). I'm a little embarrassed to say that I didn't pay attention to the interval or my times except for the last 200.... went a 2:14.

Highland Lakes Challenge starts tomorrow with a 4+ mile swim in Lake Buchanan.

......keepin' it weird!

Updated October 20th, 2009 at 10:12 PM by chaos

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Back in the water

by , October 20th, 2009 at 07:52 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My right shoulder is still somewhat sore but better. The muscle that lies on top of the scapula is the culprit and I will finish working it out today. My lower back was hurting because I didn't swim yesterday and was stuck sitting so much at jury duty.

10x100@1:40 Free
    500 kick alt by 100 free/fly w/board & fins
    4x50 from dive Free sprint for 20 yards then EZ
    300 kick w/fins Fly on back to loosen the lower back
    5x100@1:25 Free w/paddles & bouy was going to try for 1:20 like Saturday but had no speed
    500 Free EZ every 3rd 25 drill

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Monday=Boring staff meeting :(

by , October 19th, 2009 at 08:48 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I was planning to swim solo after school but due to a way too long staff meeting I bagged it.
    It was a beautiful evening so.......I took a run.
    I ended up going 6 miles (44:49) down River Road Trail. The leaves were peaking in their amber toned splendor! The sun snaked through the leaves and created a cool, almost surreal feeling as I floated down the path toward a better attitude for the evening.
    A quick bite and a glass of chard later I'm happy, mellow, and thinking about the night's cool cuddly fall slumber.
    This is my favorite time of the year!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Monday, October 19

by , October 19th, 2009 at 07:31 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Did a 5 mile run at noon. Went at recovery pace (9:45), but HR was still a little high today. A friend with some cardio issues told me to stop trying to figure out what kicks this thing up and keep doing what I'm doing - dealing with it as it comes my way.

Contemplated a swim today, but will back off a little and see if this thing blows over.
    Categories
    Uncategorized