View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Sprint Free Day

by , February 2nd, 2009 at 12:46 PM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    11:00 AM to Noon at the Jamerson YMCA (SCY) coached by Priscilla Bettis

Warmup
    400 free - every 4th length catch up
    4x25 partial-full recovery free drill
    8x25 free on :25 - descend by 4s

3x100 all out free on 3:00 - I went 1:15, 1:16, and 1:15. The fastest I've ever gone in practice was 1:17, so these were great for me. As an experiment, I tried swimming a very easy 50 between the 2nd and 3rd 100. I felt much better after doing that than after just standing around waiting for the 2nd 100 to start.
    150 EZ free on 3:00
    100 all out free on 3:00 - I went 1:14.3!

6x150 on 3:00 - Odds, extra long walls, last one was EZ warmdown! I cruised these and finished them all in 2:20.

Notes: I competed in a mountain bike race yesterday and I felt sore and tired during warmup. It didn't seem to hurt me too badly during practice though.

Updated February 2nd, 2009 at 02:57 PM by Iwannafly

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Monday 2/2/09

by , February 2nd, 2009 at 12:06 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warm up
    1 x 300 choice
    4 x 100 on 2:15 Kick on back – 25dolphin/25flutter

Main Set
    8 x 50 on :55 Pull 1>4, 5>8 (Went :40->:35 each time)

Repeat Three Times
    {4 x 12.5 Extremely Fast/12.5 easy on RI :20
    {1 x 50 on 1:00 easy
    1 x 50 on 1:30 AFAP
    1 x 50 on 1:30 easy
    (on fast ones went: fly-:34, back-:34, free-:30)

Repeat Two Times
    {4 x 50 choiceon 1:00 25D/25S
    {1 x 200 choice on 3:30 (went back - 2:53, free - 2:40)

Cool down
    1 x 150 easy

Total: 2,800 Yards

45 minute spinning class during my lunch hour.

Updated February 2nd, 2009 at 09:01 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Mon Feb 2nd

by , February 2nd, 2009 at 10:36 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Feb 2nd 2009

short cut to Ande's Swimming Blog
    http://TinyURL.com/AndeSwim

NEXT MEET: USA Swimming Austin Grand Prix Austin TX
    Thursday March 5 - Saturday March 7, 2009
    31 days away
    Meet format: Short Course AM, Long Course PM
    http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquatics/meets

TODAYS PRACTICE
    5:30 - 6:30
    whitney coached
    scy TSC diving well
    swam with nate & Larry
    beside tyler todd doug & ned

warm up
    800 easy

10 x 50 fr on 35

400 IM drill

assigned 8 x 50 k with fins on 35
    did 4 x 50 k no fins on 1:10 hold 35 or better

300 IM drill

6 x 50 fr on 34

200 IM drill

4 x 50

100 IM strong
    went 59

4 x 250 fr desc 1 - 4
    30 sec rest between each

50 easy

50 SDK fast
    roll start
    whitney timed
    wore FS PRO jammers
    went 24.3

50 easy
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Monday 2/2 - meet prep week

by , February 2nd, 2009 at 07:31 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Have a meet the end of this week and am hoping to have a better showing this time around. Left shoulder was alittle sore after this one but will do a normal 3 day taper the end of this week.

14x100 @ 2:00 alternate Free/IM every 3rd on 1:45
    2x400@ 6:00 Free with paddles kick strong on every other 50
    8x200 @ 3:30 alternate Free/IM
    200 Free EZ

Total 4000 yards

I tried to get butterfrog down on the 200 IM's today. Question: Should I revert to butterfrog at the end of my 200 fly this weekend when I start dying on the last 100? All thoughts welcome. I have a mental block against doing it or maybe it is just a status thing.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Same OId Steelers: Win, Win, Win.

by , February 1st, 2009 at 11:32 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Too exhausted to vlog extensively.

Swam okay at meet today, times to be reported later when officially on web. Foreshadowing: massive heart valvular damage and/or other performance-inhbiting physical catastrophes were not validated by meet today. need to do follow up checks, however, and remain vigilant

Events:

100 free
    50 free
    200 IM
    25 fly
    200 mixed freestyle relay

the meet started at 12:00 with my first event at 12:15. the meet ended around 2:30 with my last event at 2:00.

i may have more words on the "need for rest between events" that seems to be required by hot house flowers who did not grow up in the acid rain and toxic fumes of Pittsburgh.

As tiring as the meet was, the Superbowl was much, much more exhausting. I am limp. I am ennervated. I am like the guy in the Victorian collection of ribald erotica, the Pearl, who is forever claiming, "I spend! I die! I am spent! I am dead!"

I am that guy.

Only football oriented.

My testosterone levels went from semi-manly, to girlish, to invertebrate, and then back to Arnold Schwarzenegger right after a horse sized hypodermic injection of clear and cream.

But enough for now.

To sum up:

I am spent.

The Pittsburgh Steelers, and those of us whose fandom nourishes their efforts, are the highest forms of life to ever exist in the Universe. If you are an atheist, it is time to reconsider your views.

There IS a higher power.

And that higher power is me. And the rest of the team.

Updated February 2nd, 2009 at 11:50 AM by jim thornton

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. sunday

by , February 1st, 2009 at 08:50 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sun Feb 1st 2009

did not swim yesterday but I did lift weights at world gym

will blog todays practice at:
    http://andesswimmingblog.blogspot.com
    short cut to Ande's Swimming Blog
    http://TinyURL.com/AndeSwim

NEXT MEET: USA Swimming Austin Grand Prix Austin TX
    Thursday March 5 - Saturday March 7, 2009
    32 days away
    Meet format: Short Course AM, Long Course PM
    http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquatics/meets

MEET INFO IS UP
    HEARD THIS WILL BE MICHAEL PHELPS FIRST MEET since he started training again
    Meet Information Online Entry starts on Sunday, February 1, 2009 12:00 AM Central Time
    http://www.usaswimming.org/ome

TODAYS PRACTICE
    noon to 1:15
    brigette coached
    scy TSC main pool
    swam with nate & Larry

warm up
    500 easy

6 x (50 dr on 50, 50k on 50, 100 mod on 1:20)

100 fr strong on 1:20
    50 easy
    2 x 100 fr strong on 1:20
    50 easy
    3 x 100 fr strong on 1:20
    100 easy
    2 x 100 fr strong on 1:20
    50 easy
    100 fr strong
    went 56
    50 easy

4 x (2 x 50)

50 esdy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Swim meet results!

by , February 1st, 2009 at 02:03 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    So here are my results from the weekend. Not too bad considering the time of the season and being unrested and such...overall I am happy! Although I've been faster, the times are better than last year's meet which I hope will mean good times again at zones.

200 BR
    2:54.49 <--new PB in SCY...could be faster based on converts I think.
    2008 3:06.98
    50 FR
    28.69 Slipped on the bulkhead...
    2008 :29.02
    50 FL
    33.03 This felt effortless.
    2008 34.83
    100 FR
    1:04.71 I swam this well as far as breathing and held off competition over the last 50/25.2008 1:07.01

Updated February 1st, 2009 at 09:35 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Team Practice, Sunday, Feb. 1

by , February 1st, 2009 at 01:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Went to my team practice today. Couldn't possibly sleep through it since a couple giggly, squirmy loud 8 year old girls woke me up. Was a bit worried that it might require hard aerobic work, but, happily, we had a sprinty type workout. Seemed reasonably ideal for my first taper workout, although I definitely have done my last fast 100 today and will do somewhat less AFAP work during the rest of the week.

Warm up:

assigned:

300 free
    300 non free
    300 pull
    300 drill
    4 x 50: 25 UW/25 scull

did:

500 swim
    200 kick
    100 drill
    50 UW/scull

(Chatted with coach before I hopped in. Told her I was starting to taper for Auburn. She was slightly worried I was going down "all alone," but I assured her I already had Friday and Saturday night dinner plans. )

Kick set:

10 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    flutter kick, down on left side, back on right
    (I took 15 dolphin kicks on my side off each wall before coming up and flutter kicking.)

(Comment: I know everyone does this kicking on their side drill. Aside from warm up, I think it's pretty useless, especially for sprinters. Yes, we rotate when we swim. But no one actually swims completely on their side.)

Speed Sets:

8 x 25 @ :40
    2x: speed play, speed play, fast, easy
    speed play drills: heads up free with fast turnover, backstroke in V sit windmilling arms, or breaststroke with a fast flutter kick

(My lane mate Mark and I didn't like the backstroke drill and couldn't figure out what it was supposed to achieve. Hmmmm ... It also felt hard on my shoulders in that V sit position.)

100 EZ (did 50)

6 x 100 @ 1:45

#1 first 25 fast, rest easy
    #2 second 25 fast, rest easy
    #3 third 25 fast, rest easy
    #4 fourth 25 fast, rest easy
    #5 100 fast
    #6 100 easy

did the fast 25s fly
    did the fast 100 back w/fins. choked on water on the third length and had to turtle the turn. went 1:00

8 x 100 @ 1:50, done as:
    25 dolphin kick on back, 50 kick in IM order, 25 swim

I didn't feel as though I was getting enough rest on these, so I put on fins after 2. Cruised all the kicking, rested 5 seconds and did a 25 AFAP, 2 back/2 fly/2 free

200 C/D

Total: 3200

Practiced about a dozen starts. Trying to concentrate on throwing my hands out toward the opposite wall, getting my hands in a streamline position as soon as possible, keeping my head down, and not going in so flat. I was fairly successful on a couple starts ... makes a huge difference. I actually went pretty far ... made me wonder about the 15 meter mark and more serious dolphin kicks.

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 10:22 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Can Swimming Really Replace Running?

by , February 1st, 2009 at 01:01 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I am really not a swimmer. Don't get me wrong, for almost 3 years I have been swimming 4-6 times per week and working at it with an honest hard core effort. I like swim meets, and I love open water swimming races. I may try a 10K this summer (if I can find some buddies with the same intent). I highly suspect I can keep my 5K pace up in a 10K with maybe just a slight increase in yardage.
    I love the friendships I have developed within Team NASTI, and from swimming in general. Swimmers tend to like to get together and party alot. I think it is because they spend all that time with their heads in the water squelching the thoughts on their minds that need to be verbalized. Anyway.....swimming has been a positive influence on my meager social life!
    My question is: "why do I miss running so much?" When I was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis in my left knee I deceided "I am not going to whine, piss, and moan, I am going to be pro-active and simply start another joint friendly activity! It was kinda-like I ran the last time on Wednesday and started swimming on Thursday. I tried not to look back, and I did not talk about running to anyone!
    I didn't run a step for about a year and a half. I did start noticing that breast stroke no longer hurt my knee. I started running around some in my P.E. classes. Finally I started running with the kids again in my after-school "Coyote Running Club". It wasn't much but it was better than nothing.
    In the meantime several of the NASTI'S who compete in triathlons started running after Sunday morning practice. Two weeks ago I got tired of listening to them talk about their runs so.........I brought my running stuff and slipped into it after practice and showed up for the run. Now I know I am a skinny, 53 year old female(old!) but I have always felt like I have a pretty high fitness level. I was very disappointed when a couple of the runner men who didn't even do the swim workout that day(early to mid 40's) laughed and said "You're going to run?!"
    I am a usually quiet, sometimes introverted, and generally stable person but when someone laughs at me my evil, competitive, and physically aggressive side comes out. I was polite enough to keep my mouth shut, but believe me those guys were not gonna be running anywhere close to me. The running Bobinator was back in ACTION! Anyway it was fun to be back in the saddle again although the knee felt it for many days after. I didn't run with the group last week-end (swim meet) but today I had another glorious run! I know I'll never run another sub-three hour marathon (or marathon for that matter) but it makes me feel so happy to think I can go out and run 45 minutes or so if I really want to.
    TODAYS WORK-OUT: 800 yards easy stretch freestyle, Large Pyramid on 1 min per 50 int:50-100-150-200-250-250-200-150-100-50 all freestyle, 6X75 IM Roll on 1:30 interval, 5X100 on 1:45 int (I did all free cause that's the only stroke I can do on the 1:45) Then quick into the running clothes and out on the icy streets for a hard 45:00 run. I think we went about 6 miles but since I rarely run anymore I am not sure how well I estimate distances. Now I'm tired....I am going to go make chili for the Super Bowl then maybe take a nap!
    Till tomorrow brings another adventure I will sign off!

Bobinator
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. gale force winds and the cobia cage

SATURDAY:
    its windy here in eleuthera! white caps everywhere and poor visibility on saturday. i went for a morning swim with terry, justin, willie and clare in the triangle cut looking for the anchors to tie the buoys to. this will probably serve as our measured course for the next week. outside the cut was like a washing machine; very cloudy and even the 4 ft black nurse shark faded from site in less than 20 feet.
    terry and willie joined me for a 2 hour afternoon swim from the island school to the marina (via the open water "endless pool" current cut) the water was really moving and we had to exit on the way back to walk around an impossible whirlpool.

SUNDAY:
    most of the campers have arrived... the rest will be here this afternoon. clare, willie and i are going to accompany the feeding boat to the off shore cobia cage. the cage is submerged 40 feet and extends down to 90 feet. it houses 4500 cobia that require feeding twice daily by scuba divers from the cape eleuthera institute. we've been told the area teems with sea life and is frequented by a trio of bull sharks... including a 10 foot pregnant one (i know... pregnant bull shark sounds like an oxymoron). as i must adhere to a "no diving" medical restriction for the next 6 months, i will be splashing around on the surface while the feeding frenzy goes on 40 feet below.

camp orientation will be this afternoon>
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Sat. 1/31/09

by , January 31st, 2009 at 11:20 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Warmup
    2 x
    200 swim, 200 kick, 200 pull or drill
    first round free, 2nd round no free (IM is ok)
    On round 2 did 200 back, kicked on back alternating dolphin and flutter by 25, and drilled IM.

Repeat 6 x:
    150 swim on 3:00
    25 FAST choice off blocks on 30
    75 easy on 1:30
    On the 150's did 1-3 free (2:10), 4-6 back (2:20)
    25's went fly, back, free twice through
    75's easy back/free

Cool down
    100 easy free

Then went to the gym for about 45 minutes of weights (legs and core work)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. The FAF AFP Digest Advises Vlog the Inhaler

by , January 31st, 2009 at 09:22 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)

This is a picture of a fortress, the metaphor that the lovely Leslie Livingston has embraced as her USMS inner identity. How and why she chose such a metaphor is lost in the mists of time.

Or I guess you could ask her.

This is a picture of Vlad the Impaler, the medieval ruler (upon whom Dracula is allegedly based) that serves as the inspiration for the lovely Jim Thornton's USMS personna. That and Woodstock from the comic strip, Peanuts.

Jim picked Vlad the Impaler as his self-image because it sounded like Vlog the Inhaler. Really, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Hopefully, this, too, will soon be lost in the mists of time.

Jim picked Woodstock because in his inner mind's eye, he is an adorably cute little yellow bird who doesn't talk.

Naturally, when Jim "Vlog Woodstock" Thornton needed counsel about his vlog, he sought out the advice of Leslie "Fortress" Livingston, whose blog "FAF AFP Digest" sets the standard for blogging excellence on these forums.

Picture of Leslie (on left, with beard) and Jim (on right, in dress) undergoing therapy.

Some of what was discussed can't be revealed here because of mandated reporting laws, Amber alerts, the 10 Commandments, and other aspects of Society's ********, man. But the advice that can be reproduced is this:

"Jim, maybe if you put an occasional workout into your Vlog, you'd get more viewers and comments."

Point taken, Mistress Fortress! May I have another, please!

Here's what I swam today, which I should add is the capstone on a January totaling 36.73 miles:

• 1 x 1000 broken into a 600 with open turns and a 400 with flip turns, the whole thing incredibly slow, but no less torturous for the slowness, as all the while "Up the Lazy River" played in an endless loop in my brain

• 20 x 50 on 1:05, the interval chosen so that the exhausted brain would not actually have to count, but rather rely on the clock to more or less do this for him.

• 1 x 10 minutes in the Sewickley YMCA steam bath

• 1 x 8 minutes in the Sewickley YMCA men's shower room, shaving during my shower

• 1 x 30 seconds in the pool again to stop sweating from the steam bath and shower

• 1 reasonably average flight of stairs to the lobby

And home again, home again, like a fat little pig!

Tomorrow, we have a meet in Franklin, PA, 1 hour and 23 minutes from Sewickley. Those interested in the nice local league we Western Pennsylvanians swim in can view not only our meet schedule but Top 10 Times dating back to 1982. Simple click here and enjoy yourself:

http://www.amymsa.org

Finally, Leslie, I shall be monitoring the Vlog's activity in the wake of your excellent advice. Who knows? Perhaps one day, the student might even catch up with the teacher. And you know what must happen then, eh?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0553278320/ref=sib_dp_pop_fc?ie=UTF8&p=S001#reader-link"]Amazon Online Reader : If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him! The Pilgrimage of Psychotherapy Patients[/ame]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Saturday 1/31 - Saturday with kids

by , January 31st, 2009 at 02:22 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Still somewhat sore from this week so I figured we would start with our usual drill sequences then do a broken 1650.

Today Sandra, McKaylin and Ellie joined me for workout. I figure next year they may start beating me on these sets as I maintain but they get faster, older and stronger.

500 Free
    4x8x25 @ 1:00 drills with fins IM order 8 of each stroke
    1650 Free pull broken as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 on about :30 Rest at about 7 I did the last lap of each fly to allow the kids to catch up.
    200 Free EZ
    Soak in the hot tub the nicest part of Saturday practice

Total 3150 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Freezing Cold in New Mexico

by , January 31st, 2009 at 12:07 PM (My non-workout blog and random thoughts)
    Two weeks ago, it was in the 50's at 6am on the pool deck. Relatively comfortable with a hat and coat doing my usual ballistic stretching on-deck. Almost felt like spring!

Wrong about the spring weather! This week, it has been in the 30's and windy. Steam rises off the pool and swirls in mini-vortexes. It's a great visual effect - if you like non-linearities. Unfortunately, even with the pool covers, the water temperature has dropped significantly. It's cold on deck and you can see your breathe on every exhale. The cold penetrates my jacket and hat - but my legs (which are uncovered) feel like Jack Frost is pricking them with sharp little needles.

Taking off the jacket and cap is an act of madness, but I gotta swim - otherwise, the rest of the day feels out of balance. I'll guess that you feel the same way.

Jumping in the water (I can't do the one part of the body slowly immersing thing), takes your breath away. It's cold! Even my usual reverse 500 IM warmup doesn't do the trick. The first sets are still in the warmup phase and it's hard to breathe - to take in enough O2 so that you can pick up the pace a bit. So I weenie out and back off. I have to admit to changing the planned sets to something a little longer with less rest and much lower intensity.

After a period, breathing become less painful and it's really cool to take a break and put your googles at the intersection of the water and air. You can see the dark blueness of the pool and the swirling tornados of steam rising into the darkness.

And I got my entries in mail for the Canadian Masters SCM nationals this week. I'm 55 in FINA years and hope to get some good swims on the table. I'm going to pass on Clovis because I'm 54 for USMS SCY meets. I know that there are some swimmers who excel at the upper end of their age group and my hat is off to them - but I can't hang with the young dogs (are you listening Scott Shake??). Masters swim racing really does make you look forward to growing older.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. IM and Free Pace Work for the 500

by , January 31st, 2009 at 11:11 AM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    7:00 AM to 9:00 AM at the downtown YMCA (SCM) on my own, but with a workout provided by Priscilla.

Warm up:
    400 free
    16x25 drill - 4 of each stroke on :40, except free drill on :35

3x100 free on 2:00 descend
    3x100 IM on 2:10 descend (with no extra rest between the sets of 3)

9x100 with no extra rest between sets of 3
    1-3 50 fl/50 bk on 2:10
    4-6 50 bk/50 br on 2:20
    7-9 50 br/50 fr on 2:05

9x50 with no extra rest between sets of 3
    1-3 25 fl/25 bk on 1:10
    4-6 25 bk/25 br on 1:15
    7-9 25 br/25 fr on 1:05

100 EZ (and a water/Emergen-C/cranberry juice chugging break)

5x50 fr on :55 at 500 race pace
    I didn't hold race pace because I fatigued as the set went on. I went :44, :44, :46, :47, :49!

50 EZ

5x50 fr on 1:00 at race pace
    I went :45, 45, :45, :48, :49

200 EZ

2x100 fr on 1:45 at race pace
    I went 1:35 and 1:38

100 EZ

12x50 kick with fins on 1:00 - IM order by 3s
    I did the breast stroke kicks without fins and had to drop the interval to 1:15

200 warmdown

4600 meters

I finished this workout in less than two hours today, which was my fastest by about 10 minutes. I don't know that I'm getting any faster, but I'm improving my conditioning. I was shown that my ankles are plenty flexible by a very strong kicker. So, I guess it's time to get rid of the crutches and start working on my pathetic kick. I am typically 4 or 5 seconds faster per 100 with a pull buoy, so I know my kick is fairly pathetic. Plus, if I work my fly kick more, I'm pretty sure that my upper body is conditioned well enough to attempt the 200 fl!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Tall Pauls Favorite Workouts and/or Sets

by , January 31st, 2009 at 10:57 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I'm trying out the new send a forum post to your blog feature that Jim added.

I wanted to save this workout to do after taper. Really liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post

Kick day at Brophy with Coach Rankin on deck

10 minute choice warm-up

8 x 100's
    odds choice @ 1:45
    evens 50 kick/50 drill @ 2:00

12 x 50's kick @ 1:10
    odds = 25 over/25 under
    evens = 25 under/25 over

200 kick for time

8 x 25's dolphin kick on back @ :35

100 kick for time

6 x 25's breast kick on back @ :45

50 kick for time

8 x 25's @ :35
    - push and swim fast to wall/touch and go into vertically kicking until send-off
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Hot and Cold Water

by , January 30th, 2009 at 11:42 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    BORKED
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. What do you mean, no taper? Hypoxic day then...

by , January 30th, 2009 at 07:24 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    OK so I swam and lifted today. Yes, I have a meet Sunday but it's in season and I want to keep working hard.

I felt tired at 5 am and forced myself to practice, I got about 1500 in and felt good and relaxed, ready to go again. So I took it fairly steady and modified the workout down by 1000 to round off with 2500.

500 FR
    twice through:
    4 x 50 1:00 breathe every 3
    4 x 50 0:50 breathe every 5
    4 x 50 0:45 breathe every 7
    2 x 100 1:45 EZ

The breathe 7's on :45 were a bit hard for me; the first run I did 1, 2, skip 3, made 4 ( I made one of the 100 EZ's a 150 to pay the coach his yardage). Next time I went to a minute and did them. I'll try this set again sometimes but just be more generous with the interval.

2 x 50 K
    2 x 50 P
    2 50 D
    25 AFAP 14-15 from a push. It felt very good and smooth feel like I'm ready to race...for mid season at least.
    75 EZ
    OUT
    Got home; had an Endurox!

Late afternoon did half my typical weight session. Feel good but not drained.

Updated January 30th, 2009 at 08:39 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Launching Taper Tomorrow, Friday, Jan. 30

by , January 30th, 2009 at 06:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY, solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim-kick

Fly Work:

20 x 25 UW shooters
    4 belly, 4 left, 4 right, 4 back, 4 fly spin drill
    (When I was doing these on my side, I noticed that all the lap swimmers were swimming uphill and barely kicking.)
    (Going to keep doing these regularly through taper, as they're fun and easy.)

5 x 100 single arm fly drill @ 1:45

10 x 50 dolphin kick @ 1:00
    5 w/ board, 5 on back

Tried to do an AFAP 100 kick with my MF, as Val got me wondering what I could do. But I was sharing a lane at this point. I tried twice, but I was two paranoid about hitting my lane mate and went under the lane line somewhat and aborted the effort after a 25.

So it was really, 4 x 25 w/ MF, alternate AFAP, EZ

50 EZ

15 x 25 easy speed-fast fly + easy 25 DAB
    (fly felt good, better as I went along actually)
    (no interval, I timed my push off for when my lanemate was coming into the wall)

50 EZ

Speed work:

5 x (4 x 50) @ 1:00
    #1 easy swim
    #2 backstroke kick
    #3 backstroke swim
    #4 backstroke kick
    #5 50 back @ 100 pace, about 90% (went 26.5-27ish with fins)

100 EZ

4 x 25 AFAP free + 25 EZ

100 EZ

Total: 4500

Did a bit more yardage than I intended, but much of it was easy to medium paced swimming as I transition into taper mode. Feels a bit weird doing that much medium paced work. Felt good in the water today for the first time in awhile.

Went to the gym -- did 35 minutes of weights and core. Decreased the amount of weight.

Taper:

After engaging in my usual penchant of asking questions (Ande) when I'm mulling something over, I've decided to generally follow the Chris/Tall Paul/Ande taper plan.

Week 1: I will drop the yardage slightly, maybe do around 3200-3400 (more than Ande's recommended amount, but I don't have his base). I'll do only really fast swimming (25s, 50s) and some gentle pace work. No hard aerobic/lactate work at all. This will be qualitatively different than what I have done in the past on week 1. Previously, as I recall, I've cut yardage more and done more speed work. Now, I'm planning on more/slower yardage and less speed work. I'm banking on the speed work and lactate work I've done for months.

Week 2: Gradually drop down to 1000 with even less speed work.

Weights: I'm going to lift tonight, only upper body and not as heavy. I'll probably lift very lightly a couple times next week (definitely on Sunday with my daughter, who I'm trying to get to do some light weights for her own shoulder health). If I don't lift at all for 2 weeks, I'm worried my shoulder will feel it. Plus, I'm just not convinced that women need to cut weights as soon as men as I said on the "Drop Dead Taper" thread. Could be wrong about this. But I feel I'm cutting back enough by lifting lightly. I won't lift on week 2, except perhaps doing RC exercises with my 3 pound weights.

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 10:23 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  20. Fly/Breast Day

by , January 30th, 2009 at 01:30 PM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    11:00 AM to Noon at the Downtown YMCA (SCM) coached by Priscilla Bettis.

Warmup
    300 free
    400 IM - drill/kick/drill/swim

4x25 fly descend on :45
    4x25 breast descend on :45 (try dolphin kick at front of pull rather than old way)

4x3/4 length fly sprint on :40
    4x3/4 length breast sprint on :40

6x100 on 2:00
    Odds - 25 fly fast/75 free
    Evens - 25 br fast/75 free
    I was out of it today and didn't catch all my times, but I was coming in right around 1:35 on these.

12x50 free on 1:00 - br under water cycle off the start - I did these in just around :50.

100 easy warmdown

2350 meters

Notes: My fly still feels off. At one point I remembered that if I pause briefly at the end of my recovery, my hips have the chance to come up and my kick is significantly stronger. But my breathing was still off. Oh well. That new interpretation of the breast stroke dolphin kick is challenging to get the hang of. After a few tries, I quit kicking twice and started to get the hang of it. We'll see how it works when I do a longer IM workout tomorrow morning.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts