View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Analysis and Experimentation

Analysis:

The local USMS meets in my area all have the same format, Friday night is the 400 IM and the 1500/1650 and the rest of the events are Saturday. You are allowed to enter both events Friday and are limited to 5 events Saturday.

If you enter the 400 IM, 1500/1650, 200 back, 200 breast, 200 fly, 200 IM and the 100 IM (if short course), you can get official times for every event in a single meet by submitting 11 split requests.

Experimentation:

My next taper meet will be in October. This gives me about 1.5-2 months to experiment with things that might get me hurt, or hurt my performance.

I need to find out the volume of work my shoulders can comfortably handle. To do this, my training intensity and yardage needs to be ramped up, and I need to keep better track of what I am doing in my workouts. I already keep good track of my yardage and what the major accomplishments were in practice, but I think that won't be enough if I have to go back and analyze when I crossed a threshold with my shoulders. I have done well in the past keeping a food diary at the kitchen table for tracking everything I eat, so I will do the same for workouts. This might result in me actually knowing my typical stroke count and my times through out entire sets. Maybe.

Experiementation in the pool is what is most likely to result in injury.

I will be experiementing with dry lands, but my weight routine will not change drastically before October. I will try adding drylands with heavy core work on non-lifting days, and I will make RC stretch cord work a regular part of my daily routine.

The current blog popular topic, diet. This is where I expect to make some mistakes and hurt my performance in the pool and moreso in the weight room.

A few weeks ago, I tried a "slow carb" diet, and lost some body fat while gaining muscle. The reason I only did it for a week was that it is boring as ****. The diet is very simple, you just replace white carbs (bread, pasta, potato, sugar, etc) with beans, lentils, chickpeas and the like. Essentially, all you are trying to do is convince your body that you are usually full, and you don't need to be in fat storage mode. In theory, doing this would result in a lower bodyfat percentage than somone who fasted between binges but ate the exact same caloric intake, assuming you eat 3-5 meals a day that all included fiber rich, slow to digest beans, lentils and chickpeas.

On top of being boring, I upped my workouts from 6 to 10 during that week. I have a theory about which played a bigger factor

If I make a mistake with diet, and my calories drop as a result, that will effect my performance in the weight room. Increased strength requires increased muscle mass, but increasing muscle mass while loosing weight is not realistic. Hopefully with a more detailed log of my swimming, I will be able to see the subtleies that might be related to diet.

I also got some new toys to play with during solo practice. If I find that they are effective, I will share.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. OW 5k Saturday/Party/Recovery Swim Sunday :)

by , June 21st, 2009 at 02:53 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Saturday 3 of us traveled up to Huntington, Indiana to swim the 5K in Lake Clare. (it's a big gravel pit) It was sunny, very hot-92', humid, and windy. The race was scheduled to start at 1:45 (swimmer mtg. at 1:30)
    I guess the AG mile races were running slow and our race didn't start till 3:05.
    The longer I had to wait the more reasons I could think why I should not swim. I also kept eating all kinds of assorted stuff (power bars, water, endurox, gel blocks, grapes, bagel pieces= STUPID STUFF!)
    Anyways the race finally started, four 1,250 meter laps of the pit. The 1st lap was ragged, but in true bobinator form I got faster each lap(felt better each lap too!)
    My time was either 1:27 or 1:29. One guy told me there was a 5 minute delay before the girl's start, another told me a 3 minute delay so I really won't know till the results are posted. (we had to hop in the car immediately after our driver finished cause he was running late for his daughters dance recital )
    I pretty much felt normal after the swim. I wasn't really tired when I was done. I wore a dolphin "Uglies" suit. The meet was a USA swim meet so I figured my bs point zero wouldn't be kosher. I am going to work on 1,000 repeats and longer intervals and maybe have a "Big Shoulder's" I can be proud of this year.
    Once I got home I cleaned up and headed over to a fellow NASTI Swimmer's home for a fantastic birthday party. This woman is the best cook I know in the whole-wide-world! It was a great party and a nice re-fueling mecca for a hungry ow swimmer.

This morning I ambled my way to the pool and did more socializing than swimming. That's okay....I think a well-rounded master's swimmer needs to put in an = amount of yardage with their mouth's as well as their shoulder's. I managed 2,300 of assorted drills, kick, and slow swimming. It felt good.
    Happy Father's Day to all you Dad's!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Suit Problem, Sunday, June 21

by , June 21st, 2009 at 02:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    50 back: N/S
    100 back: N/S
    50 fly: 30.75

Things did not go as planned today. Just how it goes in sport, I guess; it was one of those sh*t happens days.

Felt good during warm up. I found out, however, that there would not be electronic timing pads installed at the far end of the pool where the 50s took off. This meant two things: 50 backstroke starts on a slippery wall and no split requests. I was going for a fast 50 back, so had also considered getting a split request in the 100 if I needed one event to "warm up" and get the cobwebs out (often the case for me).

After warm up, I put the new tech suit on. I was trying the LZR out only in the 50 back today, to get one swim in it before Indy. Unfortunately, two or three heats before the 50 back, the zipper just exploded in two places. Imspoiled gallantly tried to fix the zipper, but to no avail. So I couldn't swim the 50 back. And, frankly, I was too upset and pissed off to swim the 100 back (my next event), especially since I couldn't get a split. I did swim a rather half hearted 50 fly in lane 8 and felt sluggish (probably from sitting around for so long without racing). Had a terrible breakout, confirmed by Hulk, but still swam my best time of 30.75.

Leads me to believe I would have swum a fast 50 back ... Oh well, there's always next time.
    I'm just frustrated at the moment because I did rest for 10 days for the meet. Tapering is a huge commitment for me, and very hard to effectuate. So I feel that I wasted the taper and wasted training time. I fully realize this happens all the time, and I've certainly been sick prior to taper meets, etc. I'm sure I'll shake it off and be over it tomorrow; I'm just disappointed at this moment.

I also hope I can get a refund on my suit. I will be sending out an email today. This is the obvious reason why FINA should permit B70s. It's ridiculous to have to rely on fragile suits with frequently faulty zippers. I'm hopeful it will be back on the list tomorrow.

Here's a chuckle: A couple people suggested I swim a 50 back time trial.

Lesson from this meet: Don't ever rest for LC meets where you're swimming/targeting 50s without confirming that there will be electronic timing at both ends of the pool. I won't make this mistake again. It just had never occurred to me that there wouldn't be ... (Would have been no big deal had I not rested.)

Now, I have friends coming over for dinner tonight. I fully plan to drink more than one glass of wine. I might even eat potato chips late at night.

Updated June 21st, 2009 at 05:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  4. 6//20 SCY 7AM

by , June 21st, 2009 at 09:00 AM (FREEDom)
    First workout since Tuesday. I was traveling on business, so work got in the way. I had contacted Scott in Jacksonville to get a workout in on Thursday evening, but my meeting ran late, and could not make it. I was disappointed I could not work out with Scott. He's been swimming great, and wanted to try to draft off him ;-)

Swam early on my own since I have to travel again this weekend down to Boca Raton to help my daughter move in her new apartment. Mark's most excellent Florida tour this week! Tampa > Fort Lauderdale > Miami > Jacksonville > Tampa > Boca Raton. How did I miss Disney?

Swam with George.
    Water temp was warm again, 84+
    Weighed 182

warm up [1000/1000]
    2 x 200 swim
    2 x 100 kick
    2 x 200 pull w/ snorkel

set 1 [1700/2700]
    3 x 150 on 2:15
    3 x 150 on 2:05
    3 x 150 on 1:55
    5 x 50 on :45, tight desc 1 > 4, hold 5
    50 easy

set 2
    6 x { [450/3150]
    50 kick on 1:05
    25 kick on :30 FAST
    }

set 3
    4 x { choice [850/4000]
    100 on 1:45
    2 x 50 on 1:00 FAST
    }
    50 easy

set 4 [300/4300]
    6 x 25 on :30
    6 x 25 on :25
    w/ snorkel

warm down [200/4500]
    200 easy

I felt like I had not swam in 3 days. Every joint hurt -- knees, hips, shoulders, which is typical for me if I take some out of the water, my joints tend to ache. Could not really go after it... just have to slog through a workout or two, then I'll get some feel back.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Saturday 6/20 - meet day

by , June 20th, 2009 at 07:52 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Not a great meet but I am glad I did it. This reminded me I need to practice racing more often.

I split my warmup between the LC and SC pools just to avoid the crowds and fast kids.

went:
    500 LCM warmup
    500 SCY warmup
    200 IM 3:15.84 not particularly good
    200 SCY warmdown/up
    100 Free 1:15.18 about what I figured I would do and I was shocked to win my heat
    400 SCY warmdown
    200 SCY warmup
    200 Back 3:16.97 not good at all but had no energy at all
    200 SCY warmdown

1500 Yards and 1000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Outdoor swim

by , June 20th, 2009 at 06:22 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Squeezed in a 2,000 meter swim up at the club. Mainly kicked so I could avoid running into anybody. My husband joined me halfway through the workout. We did some 25s with fins at the end of the workout. He's a tough finisher. Good chance he will do the Auburn meet in 2010 - at least the 50 free and some relays. I'm really proud of him as he had open shoulder surgery less than 2 years ago. He still gets a little tight in that shoulder, but seems to be doing well. Doc says eventually he will have to get other side done. Just the way he is built.

The heat is gotten bad already. Three weeks ago, the outdoor pool temp was probably 74. Today, it had to be 88. It literally felt like a bathtub. I can't figure out how I used to be able to tolerate running and biking in this heat. I don't think I could do it now. Wish I lived on a college campus. I would do what my friend and I used to do on spring nights - grab a buddy and run 5 or 6 miles at 9 o'clock at night. I'd do it now with a friend, but there are too many loose dogs out here in my neck of the woods at night. Will have to think on this one. Still trying to avoid the treadmill!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Saturday, June 20

by , June 20th, 2009 at 03:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swam an easy 900 yards or so to loosen up. Then hot tub and stretch. Felt decent in the water.

Had a great morning as my little one did not DQ in her first 25 breast. Makes for a happy kid. My two youngest are out of the house tonight, so I'm hoping to go to an early movie and/or have a relaxing night. I just wish the meet tomorrow started at noon instead of 9:00 am!

Updated June 20th, 2009 at 09:28 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout - 6/22/09 - SCY/LCM

by , June 20th, 2009 at 02:11 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM

WARM UP:
    5 X 100 free 2:00
    5 X 100 kick 2:30
    5 X 100 50 stroke/50 free 2:00

SCY

400 free 6:00
    400 IM 7:00
    300 free 4:30
    300 IM 5:15
    200 free 3:00
    200 IM 3:30
    100 free 1:30
    100 IM -

3 X{3 X 100 Broken 2:30
    Choice...fast
    Broken :10
    Short break between rounds.
    Swim#1: 75 + 25
    Swim #2 50 +50
    Swim #3 25 + 75

8 X 50 Kick 1:00

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5000Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Saturday's musings: 5k OW swim and Nats tech suits

by , June 20th, 2009 at 08:25 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I am sitting here reading, drinking coffee, and deciding what to eat before my 1:45 OW 5k race today. I just had a banana. I think mid-afternoon is an awkward time to race.
    It should be fun however; I am meeting a couple NASTI buddies at 10:30 to drive up together. I'm a bit worried about storms. We had horrible lightning/thunder stuff going on last night. We just finished the movie "Gran Torino" at 10:07 and lost power till 3 AM. It's very warm, sultry and sticky out now....the perfect weather for another storm. I really don't want to be in the middle of a lake when a bad storm breaks out!!!
    I should be very rested. My shoulders never hurt when I swim but at night they are achy and tight. My neck is tight too. I can normally control this stuff with exercise but I have taken swimming up a notch for 6 weeks or so and I think I am paying the price. I decided rest this week would be smart. I swam 3x (2 hard practices and 1 easy) and took a nice 50:00 run mid-week. I always do warm-up and conditioning with my PE classes but I never count that as exercise. Anyway....I'm either going to feel great today, or tight and labored.
    I am taking my bs point zero suit and my zoot swim skin. This ow swim is governed by USA swimming. The Age Groupers swim mid-morning, the masters 1 mile is early morning and 5k mid-afternoon. I'm not sure if the bs suit will fly. The meet info spells out exactly what type of suit swimmers under 12 must wear; it doesn't say anything about swimmers over 12. I will take a traditional suit in case I get the boot.

I was talking to an ISF friend yesterday. His wife is taking a class next month to qualify her as the swimsuit judge at LC Nats in August. I thought I'd mention that in case anyone thought they might try to stack suits or try to do anything shifty.
    I need to go pack the bag, eat more, and head up to the pool to meet my team mates.
    I should probably jump in and swim a warm-up but I doubt the benefits of a warm-up 41/2 hours before the race. tally ho!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Friday 19 June 09 workout

by , June 20th, 2009 at 12:27 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol - Coach Janine

Today we were doing the Seniors workout written by Coach Steve Skidmore, he was away at a meet in Folsom and an occasional age-grouper would jump in and do a Meet workout (guess there is a meet tomorrow too.) Anyways halfway through the workout Coach Janine said for me to check out Aron's (spelling?) freestyle form, He said his swims are :21, 1:47 & 1:50. He demo'd a 25 sprint from the blocks and I timed him around :10. His underwater sdk was perfect, he dove deep, started kicking right away came up just past 12-13 yards, great breakout and about as perfect form freestyle as Ive seen underwater, wasn't sloppy or hurried.
    Coach brought that up because I hold my head too high up in the FR. So today I kept my head looking straight down during the pull, this improved my form and my turns, since I can't see the wall anymore, Im forced to use the marker on the bottom. Before I would stall before hitting the wall, thinking about taking a breath, what to do, etc...So today I learned, keep head down, look straight down and use the marker for the turn.

Warm - 400S, 200k

12x75 K/D/S 3ea on 1:30 (did 1:45 IM order)
    (I have either great fly days or bad fly days, today was bad)
    5x200 Pull (paddles & buoy) 3:30 des (avr. 3:10)
    40x25 K :30 Choice (Did 10x25 K on :45)
    8x50 Swim 4 Free 4 Choice :50 (did 2x50 on :50)
    200 Cool down (did 150)

2100 SCY

Updated June 20th, 2009 at 12:50 AM by EricOrca

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Swim n Lift

by , June 19th, 2009 at 09:49 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    5 x 100 w/u Snork, snork, paddles, paddles, swim.
    5 x 200 build by 50's each 200 3:30
    200 EZ
    12 x 25 K no fins :45 Mx3, Fx1
    4 thru did about :10-15 RI (clocks sucked)
    100Pull
    75Swim
    50Kick fins
    25Swim 1 & 2 FR 3&4 FL. Did a very zippy 25 FLY felt like I nailed the stroke.

500 EZ

Lifted at about 85% today.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Learning a great lesson about goals...

You can set them and you may acheive them or not. The key is deciding you are not a failure if you don't do them perfect and totally give up. The point of goals is to march on and try to do better next week. That said I am proud to say I swam four time this week and my yardage was very close to 3000 except for one day.
    I think if I have a written out workout plan I will make the distance next week. Today my arms are sore and I did 2500.
    I also did my speed workout 12 x 25's as fast as I can three time this week. But today I had no one with a stopwatch so I timed my self and will post them in my speed journal/post, anyway. Being off from swimming (sailing) for a week cut into my speed training. But I will keep track anyway.
    Win or lose I always learn!

I can't find where I posted my last times so until i do I will post them here.
    6/19
    25yds 50yds
    16.5 36.5 no stop watch, tank suit, push off wall.

Updated June 19th, 2009 at 06:44 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Friday, June 19

by , June 19th, 2009 at 04:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    All I can say is that I swam more than yesterday.

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick, drill

Other stuff:

8 x 25 shooters

50 EZ

6 x (25 easy speed fly w/fins + 25 EZ)
    (bad breakouts, seemed to be getting further on the kick portion)

50 EZ

2 x (25 AFAP free w/fins + 50 EZ)

150 C/D

Total: 1650

10 minutes hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am well past eliminating cumulative training fatigue. I think that occurred last week. I believe I am now suffering from cumulative parenting fatigue. I am also convinced, as per usual, that I have lost all strength and conditioning and have gained 10 pounds in 10 days. Where is the beached whale emoticon?

I even forgot to bring my B70 to the pool to practice a couple backstroke starts. So I plan on taking 13-14 SDks on the start. If Chris takes 12, this must be about right for me. How's that for attention to detail?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Updated June 19th, 2009 at 06:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Thy Kingdom Come

by , June 19th, 2009 at 04:19 PM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    Now training for the 10 mile Kingdom Swim in Vermont

http://www.kingdomswim.org/

Feeling a little flat at the moment but will try a long swim in the lake this Sunday. I believe the water in Vermont will be high 60's-low 70's. This should be a gimme for me after all the cold water training for MIMS, but it sure won't hurt me to keep up the cold stuff.

Kingdom swim is in Newport Vermont.
    Does anyone know a good place to stay?

I came out of a 2000 yard workout today feeling lightheaded and arms like lead. Hopefully it's just because I've taken up running again!! Day off tomorrow to recharge the batteries.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout - 6/20/09 - SCY

by , June 19th, 2009 at 02:38 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    Saturday practice 7 AM, get to sleep in a bit

SCY

WARM UP:
    3 X 200 free 3:30
    3 X 200 free 3:00

5 X 100 kick 2:15

1 X 150 moderate 2:15
    4 X 50 descend 1-4 1:00
    Swim the set three times through.

1 X 75 easy 1:30
    2 X 50 sprint 1:00
    Swim the set four times through.

8 X 50 1:15
    25 underwater/25 fast
    Fins optional.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4000Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Thoughts confirmed

by , June 19th, 2009 at 02:17 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Had a follow-up with my GP yesterday and my cardiologist at UAB today. Both agreed that the running was a factor in my HDL readings. In fact, the cardiologist stressed that I will need to do exercise into and beyond my menopause years to keep the total cholesterol/HDL ratio at a good level since my LDLs are in a borderline area. (I hope that menopause is at least 10 years away! Tends to run very late in my family so I am probably looking at 15 years from now.) Both were very pleased with the ratio as it is 3.3 right now. GP indicated as long as my LDL was below 160, with my HDL count as high as it is, he was not worried about the LDL level right now. Cardiologist said that levels were not in area that needed any type of medication.

Both docs liked the exercise program I have going. The lab work that came back was ideal. Cardiologist who is also a triathlete obviously liked the fact that I wear an HR monitor when I run. He also is very pleased that I opt to stop and walk when the HR level gets too high (like on my birthday run).

Yesterday, got in 3,000 yards of high intensity swimming. Used the fins a good bit. Particularly enjoyed the last set that was without fins: 6 x 50 on 1:20 - odds are free/fly, evens are free/back. These were power swims. Felt good on all.

This morning, my appointment at UAB (University of Alabama at Birmingham) with cardiologist was at 8:15. UAB is about 70 miles from where I live, but well worth the trip as it has some of the best medical treatment facilities in the country. Five of its treatment specialties rank in the top twenty nationally. Anyway, Birmingham rush hour is a bear, particularly the route I have to travel, so I left my house at 5 AM and got into Birmingham a little after 6 AM. Even then, there was traffic. I hit the downtown YMCA and ran on the treadmill for 5 miles, doing the following:

Warm-up: 2 miles at 9:13 pace
    2 miles: alternated 1 minute hard with 2 minutes of easy jog/fast walk. On fast intervals, got faster with each one minute interval. The first was at 7.5 mph. Added .5 mph to each interval until I got up to 9.5 mph on one interval and then went back down .5 mph on each one minute interval until I got to 7.5.
    1 mile cool-down at 8:34 pace.

Hope to swim easy this afternoon or early tomorrow morning. After having my thoughts on running confirmed, I hope to get a run in this weekend.

Updated June 19th, 2009 at 02:27 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Day 16 Finally

4x100 FR R:30
    4x100 FR w/fins
    1x100 FL/FR w/fins
    1x100 BR/FR w/fins easy

1000 LCM Outside w/Mark Weber

Hopefully I will take it a little easier this time starting out and not try to push it so fast like last time.....but then knowing me...probably not!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Fri Jun 19th, 2009 FAST FRIDAY, went 58.1 100 LCM FR

by , June 19th, 2009 at 10:33 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri Jun 19th, 2009

weighed 213

Richard Quick's service is noon today
    Life Celebration's around 2:00.
    Many swimmers & coaches are in town to pay their respects.

Entered Zones with a different event lineup (below)

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM
    Dove in FIRST
    6:30 - 8:00
    Whitney Coached
    TSC main pool
    swam with Todd, Chris, Larry, Nate, Kendall, Brandon, Amy, Jamie, & Jon
    Rich Hughey & 4 female swimmers who swam for Richard at Stanford, one was Sara from Wisconsin, didn't get the names of the others

Warm Up LCM
    15 minutes choice
    did fr & bk ave 1:30 / 100
    went 11 or 1200

Main SET LCM

50 FR FAST for time in heats
    went 25.8

20 x 50 fr on 1:15
    went 10 apart
    odds easy
    evens: FR fast from a dive 6 beat kick
    held 27's & 28's 26.9 on last one
    Instructions were to be within 3 seconds of the first fast 50

50 easy

100 FR fast from a dive in heats
    6 beat kicked the whole way
    went 58.1

200 easy

6 x 100 fr fast from a dive on 2:30
    went 1:06 & 7's on 1 - 5, 2 beat kicked
    went 1:00 on #6
    Instructions were to be within 5 seconds of the first fast 100

300 easy

NEXT MEET

USMS South Central Zone Long Course Championship Meet
    Fri July 18 - 19 2009
    Woodlands, TX
    Meet Entry Form
    30 Days away
    Entered the following events

Saturday
    1500 fr
    50 fl
    100 fr
    50 bk
    200 IM

Sunday
    400 IM
    50 Br
    200 FR
    100 BK
    50 FR

Friday July 17th Aerosmith is playing with ZZ Top at the
    Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion in the Woodlands
    Tickets
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Friday 6/19 - Started with no clock today

by , June 19th, 2009 at 07:43 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    The pool had no clock on today when I started, they had overfilled the pool and with all of the electrical cords, you know water and electricity are not a good mix.

Anyway this was more of a feel for the water day. Last night I got in with the girls and did a few laps fly which felt fantastic. This morning it seemed like it took forever to get my muscles ready to really swim.

1000 as 200 swim/pull/swim/kick/swim

500 Free Kick w/fins every 3rd 25 sprint
    600 Back Drills w/fins #1&4 Fashion modle, #2&5 underwater recovery, #3&6 partial recovery

8x50 from dive 15 meter sprint breakout 3 fly, 3 free, 2 back

500 Free Easy

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Thursday, June 18

by , June 18th, 2009 at 07:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    No swimming today. Carrying on with the rest. My family sees all indications of the taper bitchies.

ART

I did go see my ART doc today, as my shoulders and calves are still twitchy. Not sure what the cause is. The doc says it could be tossing and turning in my sleep, or it could be the lack of weight lifting. Hulk thinks it could be that the overall workload on the shoulders is too high. He theorizes that this could cause a delay in the resting-discomfort phase, which is apparently a precursor to the happy rested phase. Hmm ... Seems like I've been kicking a lot and not doing pulls and chins ... Hopefully, they'll be happy on Sunday. They're not bad by any stretch, just have some "hot spots." (Pun potential) Walked around the mall today with day glo pink and blue kinesio tape.

Electrolytes:

We also discussed the electrolyte issue. He agrees I'm likely dehydrated. He says, however, that Gatorade is "swill," no better than eating "bon bons and hohos. I told him about my travails with RecoverWrong. He suggested I try Endura. Used it today, seemed fine. Trying to drink more water.

Meet:

Checked the psych sheets for the Terrapin Cup. http://www.terrapinmasters.org/TCup09Psych.htm

I'm right next to The [Speedy] Little Devil in the 50 back and Clay is another lane over. Hmm ... Will I drown in their wake or will they be so far ahead that I'll catch a draft? Jeff is seeded 3 seconds faster. Same situation in the 100 back. In the 50 fly, I have a good seed in the second to last heat right next to Fall Willdeboorse, who is a very speedy sprinter and kicks my ass in free. So that should be a good race.

Haven't really formulated any specific time goals for this meet. Ideally, I'd like to go PBs in my 50 back and 50 fly ... we'll see if I rested enough and if I execute. I might be a tad disappointed if I don't go a 32+ in the 50 back. I went a 33.4 at Zones last year where I slipped some on the start. That's how 50s go sometimes.

Suits:

I am trying a new tech suit. As I've explained to a few of you, I don't feel comfortable with an old B70 and a fragile suit, and I need a suit for USA-S meets besides my "ratty" Pro. I'm trying the Rocket Science "Sprinter" -- brand new suit. (The previous version is still on back order.) http://www.prlog.org/10240754-rocket...d-by-fina.html. This suit is on the 2009 FINA list and I'm told meets the new FINA permeability requirements for 2010. So I'm going to try on my size Youth Medium and see if it really fits. And, besides, who can resist that name? Picture attached below.

I heard a rumor that B70 was handing out its new FINA compliant suits at the Santa Clara meet. They're not generally available now, but I wonder when they will be.

Summer League:

Stroke & Turn Question:

I wasted my entire evening attending a stroke & turn clinic. Here, you must attend every 2 years. There was one question the instructor didn't answer satisfactorily, at least to my mind. I told Hulk I'd post it here, and he can give me his opinion, as he knows this stuff cold.

Little kid approaches the wall for a backstroke turn. Kid first touches the wall on their back with their hand. Kid then realizes, OMG, I forgot to flip, so they spin and execute a forward flip turn. Is this a DQ? Once they touch the wall, does the kid then have to push off on their back to leave the wall and not be past vertical? Or even though they've touched the wall, can they hang their and remain in the "zone" of the wall, and you only assess whether they've pushed off on their back by watching the toes?

Our team may get owned this weekend, as two of our best swimmers are off at summer camps. My Lil lil Fort is swimming her first A meet doing backstroke and evilstroke. I've been trying (very mildly) to encourage fly (though 8 & Unders don't do this in A meets.) I guess she could be my second evilstroker ... Whatever makes her happy, she hasn't liked swimming that much in the past.

Updated June 18th, 2009 at 09:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    ART , Masters Swim Meets / Events
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get-attachment.aspx.jpeg 
Views:	315 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	6270