View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Wed Feb 11 2008

by , February 11th, 2009 at 04:56 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue Feb 11 2008

my next meet is 22 days away

Today I missed my practice at UT to coach the San Marcos Rattlers. They have their region meet this weekend. Did a taper work out with some fast 25s.

I dropped by World Gym to change into my work clothes

Did 8 sets of 10 reps on BANDS this morning
    (used 2 blue SPRI bands & one Red SPRI band,) strung them over the pull up bar

Today I edited this [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=170263&postcount=1072"]Swim Faster Faster Tip[/ame]

and wrote my opinion on what I think the challenged coach should do at:

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13252"]How Should I Make Cuts?[/ame]

which was

Coach, You're Not Asking the Right Question.
    Here's what you need to do.

keep them busy, stay on them

have them do sprints & make them tired. It's hard to horseplay when they are gasping for breath.

Walk up and down on the side of the pool with them
    watch them
    encourage them
    praise the positive.

start them, tell them when to go, call out send offs
    challenge them,
    demand excellence
    get them to do things they don't think they can do

If they are horseplaying or wrestling say
    "Hug him if you love him."
    they'll quickly let go of each other

Ask them to count their strokes

have them do relays
    do no breather 25's
    do fast stuff for time
    work on outstanding pushoffs
    work on Streamline Dolphin Kicking

don't cut anyone, make it so hard that some quit.
    It's an honor to be on the swim team and to be coached by you.

Have them get out of the pool and do push ups, sit ups, & push outs.

come in with the attitude, they are going to listen to me, they will respect me and do what I say.
    Treat them with respect

If they are talking too loud, don't quiet them by yelling.
    Have a signal for silence, Boy Scouts use the scout sign.
    Maybe you can do the dolphin sign, hold your hands in a certain way,
    Tell them that when they see you doing this
    they have to hold their hands the same way and be quiet
    then begin when everyone is silent

Ask them about their goals

When I show up to coach my goal is to make the kids as great as they can be.

Let them have some fun, take 5 minutes at the end of practice to
    play whale attack, sharks and minnows, or marco polo

Don't be predictable, keep them engaged

have them sign a [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=42885&postcount=334"]contract[/ame] like coach carter

create a team website like: http://www.whs-warriorsswimming.org/about.shtml

Create a team handbook and have all parents and kids read it and sign it:
    like the Westwood High School Swimming Team

Put the rules in writing and enforce them.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Dara, Stump, and Me

by , February 11th, 2009 at 04:49 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    This just in:

Charming Stump wins over crowds, judges

Veteran dog comes out of retirement with record-breaking performance

At age 10, crowd-charming Stump is 14 years older than I am, that is, after the well-known and oft-verified dog-to-human year conversion is applied.

Stump has thus emerged as the oldest male Gold Medal winner in the history of competitive sports.

This just in a long time ago:

Dara Torres, then 41 and mother of tot, is oldest female in history to get three silver medals in Olympic history. In this picture, Vlog the Inhaler is surreptitiously sucking down great lungfuls of Dara's vapors.

This not yet in:

I have another grueling Bill White swimming practice tonight. To prepare for this, I have done my usual of late:

• worked some in the morning
    • drank 16 ounces of soy milk, consumed one soy yogurt, and interviewed experts on the potential dangers of too much dietary soy
    • took a nap for about 45 minutes
    • awoke 20 minutes ago in a deep stupor of sleep inertia
    • brewed and am now consuming my second round of coffee of the day (it is now 3:30)
    • trying to burst out of my imprisonment of grogginess and effete-dom
    • mentally telling myself that I wil break my own pathetic record in the 200 backstroke at a dinky little Y meet this weekend
    • visualizing how I will do this by kicking SDKs as long as I can off of every turn
    • remembering yesterday's practice when I accustomed myself to flooded sinuses till this felt almost normal
    • and finally, feeling the vapors of ancient Dara fusing with the inspiration of even more ancient Stump, my more proper role model in life because A) he is a male, and B) he is a dog
    • and preparing myself for the missing link transition wherein I become the perfect 56-year-old woman-man-canine chimera bridging the gap between Dara's Silver Excellence and Stump's Gold Magnificence:

Lordy! Where did this sudden hunger come from?

(Note: thanks as always to the magnificent Rusty Scupperton for his Photoshopping bewonderment.)

Updated February 12th, 2009 at 01:16 PM by jim thornton (photo link problems)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Gettin' Twitchy Wed., Feb 11

by , February 11th, 2009 at 04:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCM, solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    150 fly drills

Rest of Warm up:

2 x (2 x 25 build free + 25 easy)

2 x (2 x 25 easy speed fly + 25 easy)

50 EZ

2 x (2 x 25 AFAP + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 1250 meters

Taper News:

Was trying to do sort of a meet warm up. Meet warm ups confuse me. Sometimes I feel stale/haven't got the cobwebs out on my first event and sometimes I'm fine without too much warm up. Never sure how much to do. Glad I'm starting my meet out with 100s each day though.

I'm guardedly optimistic about the hip. It feels better, though still sore. Dr. Jimby is right that these things take a long time to heal.

Still holding at congestion only, haven't lapsed into the sinusitis/bronchitis malaise I've been so prone to in the past.

Felt pretty good in the water today. Decent DPS, fly felt good.

After no running or spinning for almost 3 weeks, I'm starting to feel like a gooey Pillsbury Dough Boy.

Haven't really set any time goals. Unlike many, I don't usually set specific goals, although I may have general goals (do PBs) or reach goals (like to bust out another good 100 IM time) in mind. Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing a .99 a couple times. I do plan to take my 100 back and 100 fly out a bit faster. If I die like the drop dead sprinter that I am, that's OK.

Updated February 12th, 2009 at 04:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  4. I'm Down With CPP!!!

by , February 11th, 2009 at 02:18 PM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    11:00 AM to 11:30 AM at the downtown YMCA (SCM) with Coach Priscilla.

A little bit of meet preparation today.

Warmup:
    200 free
    200 im drill

10x25 on :35 swum thusly
    • 1-3 fly descend
    • 4-6 back descend
    • 7-10 free descend
    (Fly still feels horrible!)

1x25 sprint fly on :45 (I felt stiff and never really had rhythm)

125 ez free

2x25 sprint fly on :45 (I did both one arm fly)

125 ez free

3x25 sprint fly/back/breast on :45 (I had good rhythm on this fly, and my coach said it looked a lot better. I was still tired and had to struggle with it, but it did feel better.)

2 starts, sprint half length, cruise to the wall. I did both starts fly.

250 ez warmdown. I did the last 125 backstroke doing kind of a catchup stroke to work on body position and getting a strong pull.

1350 meters

Notes: Now I am getting exceedingly nervous about my 100 fly on Sunday. Hopefully, by the time I have rested a bit, I will feel stronger and I will get the same timing and feel that I had in November at the GMUP Sprint Classic. Good luck to The Fortress this weekend as she tries to crush the boys at Auburn! I look forward to hearing the tales!

Updated February 11th, 2009 at 03:21 PM by Iwannafly

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Fun Workout

by , February 11th, 2009 at 01:28 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warmup
    200 swim, 100 free/100 back
    200 kick, 100 flutter w/board/100 on back, flutter/sdk by 25's
    200 IM drill,
    200 pull free, w/p&b
    200 back

Main set
    3 x 200 free on 3:15
    (went 2:50-:45-:41) took an extra :30 sec rest, then:
    1 x 25 fast off blocks (swim easy on the way back to the starting end) on 2:00
    (fly - went around :15-16)
    3 x 100 IM on 2:00
    (went 1:35-1:40-1:32) took an extra :30 rest then:
    1 x 25 fast off blocks same as above
    (back - around :15-16)
    3 x 50 back on :55
    (went :42-:45-:41) took an extra :30 sec rest then:
    1 x 25 fast off blocks same as above
    (free, under :15)

pull 8 x 50 free on 50 descend 1-4, 5-8
    (w/ p&b, went :40->:34 each round)
    8 x 25 on 40: kick underwater for first 12.5, swim 2nd 12.5; every 4th fast
    (#1-4: sdk (about 15-16 kicks) face down then swim free, was going around :20; #5-8: sdk face up (again 15-16 kicks) then swim backstroke, was going around 17-18. I'm faster underwater on my back.)

Cool down
    100 easy

Will do 40 min spin class at noon today.

Updated February 11th, 2009 at 08:47 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. The past few days

I am not good about keeping up with this but I'm working on it ...

Saturday I swam most of workout - didn't quite get to 3000 because I was having lots of trouble breathing. (ever so often my lungs get all pissy and I can't breathe - even the inhalor didn't really work). I ran outside in the 50 degree weather Saturday afternoon - only about 2 miles.

Sunday I had my first meet of the season - not great swims or times. I suppose this is what a lack of training does ... eh, oh well. I've got another meet this weekend.

Monday night I swam - not a bad workout took it fairly easy and made it a recovery workout.

Tuesday night - 45 minute spin class, 30 minute ab class ...

100 w/u was all I got in b/c ab class runs right up to practice.

Our set was 30 x 100 on 1:30
    they were arranged in sets of 5
    swim, drill, hold :10 under the send off

I did this instead

2 x (5x 100 free, 2 x 50 kick, 100 free, 2 x50 kick)
    1 x (5 x 100 free, 2 x 50 kick, 3 x 100 free)

100 EZ

5 x 25 from the middle of the pool

175 cool down

I am pretty thrased today. I'm planning on going to spin class tonight and getting a little lifting in.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Knees Up Mother Brown

by , February 11th, 2009 at 09:34 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    This song has been stuck in my head since school today; I danced it 6 times with my Kdg-2nd graders. Knees Up is an aerobic combination of fast random skipping, hopping on one foot, hopping on the other, and spinning round and round X 3. When they are done (the kids) they collapse in the circle in the middle and put one hand on their chest and hold the other fist in the and pump it in rhythm to their heart rate! (cheap heartrate moniter) Next week we're doing "The Bouncer" which is an excellent dance for one who Bobinates! Okay...now down to the important stuff...my workout for the day....as shoddy as it was....

1) 1 hour Pilates Class- This was a new teacher from the west-side. I arrived to the gym 15 minutes early. I pulled out a mat, parked it in the far corner and laid face down on it and fell asleep. I was awakened by an annoyingly high pitched cheerleader-like voice saying "Breathe in, release through your mouth in 10 controlled parts!" I must have slept through the first part of the warm-up or at least the explanation. At this point I really needed a tall black Starbucks to work up any motivation for this class(like that's gonna happen in a gym). Instead I just plunged forward and maintained my snarky bad attitude and tried to hold my own.
    This teacher had a sick love for the pilates ring. For 40 minutes my legs were up in a 75 degree angle squeezing that sucker together....it hurt. The other 20 minutes it was between our hands and maintaining the same squeeze...owwee! Oh, somehow she also managed to fit 30 push-ups in too.
    I am really beginning to dislike pilates!

SWIMMING: I must have really been tired today cause I went home after the above mentioned class and fell asleep on the couch. I woke up and realized I'd have to HURRY to make it to NASTI'S practice....so I jetted off to the pool. I was late and had no time for warm-up laps, so I just dove in and did what was left as hard as I could. Here is how it went:

1) 4 X 200 Free on 3:45
    2) 6 X 125 on 2:15
    3) Super 500/All Free
    4) 300 Backstroke cooldown

After practice I had dinner (9:00 pm) and grabbed my mac book to post this blog however I fell asleep before I couuld press the "post now" button.
    Happy dreams,

Bob
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Wednesday 2/11 - Back in style

by , February 11th, 2009 at 08:38 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My right arm is alittle tweekie today but I will work on it with the tens unit and it should be fine. Backstroke and doing alot of kicking in a streamline position tends to do that to me.

10x50 @ 1:00 Free 1/2 Pull 1/2 Kick
    20x50 @ 1:00 Free every 3rd 50 Back
    500 Free Pull with Paddles and bouy
    10x50 @ 1:00 alternate 50 Back/50 Free
    600 Back kick with fins
    400 Fly kick with fins
    500 Free every 4th lap drill

Total 4000 yards

Updated February 11th, 2009 at 08:45 AM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. You are an old-looking idiot

by , February 10th, 2009 at 10:57 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    And by you, I mean me.

The quality of my vlog is likely to go downhill for a little while as my limited powers of cognition are siphoned off in various ways.

For one thing, I had blood drawn yesterday.

For another thing, I am consuming a lot of soy protein, with its insidious ingredients, genistein and daidzen, compounds that beans use to kill fungi.

These compounds also happen to resemble estrogen.

ESTROGEN RECEPTORS (a) IN MAMMARY GLAND

For another thing, my new levels of phytoestrogens are causing me to take the vapors, as we ladies of Society refer to our time as women.

Do not expect sense, transitions, a narrative line.

This is a "hack" my swimming coach Bill's son, Liam, boy genius, figured out how to put on the Sewickley YMCA's computer.

I like to go on to this before and after practice, check out my vlog statistics, and give my entries another couple "Excellent's--*****!":

(Please don't forget to click "excellent" yourself--Liam deserves it!)

Liam is a very good swimmer, but he is an even better hacker. He is 8. This still picture does not give you a complete sense of the devastation of his hack.

You click anything on the screen, and these You Are An Idiot placards proliferate like wildfire, rendering the computer useless.

Well, actually, not useless exactly. It becomes a very, very good electronic sooth sayer. You stare at the screen in growing fury. It tells you, hundreds, maybe thousands of times, that you are an idiot.

Eventually, it sinks in.

After practice last Friday, the team went out for pizza, and some of the parents brought their kids.

Liam sat next to me, and he was so intrigued by hacking technology, that he spent much of the dinner drawing this:

Not only is Liam very good at computer technology, but he is an excellent artist. I think that his crayon drawing of the You Are an Idiot computer screen comes closer to providing the actual experience than the photo above.

Note 1. You can see that he has placed in his drawing various instructions for turning the mayhem off, but I am too much of an idiot to understand the encryption.

Note 2. You can see that the pizza parlor's placemat has a map of Italy on the opposite side from the drawing. Also, I think there is a small spot where Liam dropped some Sierra Mist. Future anthropologists 14,000 years from now: Please have a field day, courtesy of one Mr. Liam White, 8, and his Boswell, one Mr. Jimby the scrivener, 56.

Which brings us to Part 2.

Liam's father, my best friend and swimming coach, emailed me this so that I would see if first thing upon awakening. He knows that I am a twin; that I have been on antidepressants longer than John; and that I am a caricature of John playing an old and bewildered man.

You can actually find more out about this interesting subject by clicking here:

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...ealthsci-yahoo

(The gist: after 40, you can look younger by getting a little bit fat, which puffs out your skin, reducing the empty-baggy saggy cadaverousness that the emaciated old tend to develop; you can also avoid the sun (in your youth, alas, was the time to do it); not smoke; and--interestingly to those of us who believe that "without chemicals, life itself would be impossible"--avoid taking antidepressants, which cause the facial muscles to sag. This is probably the reason I look so much older than John. Otherwise, I should look younger. I live in a cloud forest, and I am fat. John lives in a solar zone, and he's thin.)

Now, here is a picture of the Thornton twins:

Oh, well. Who knows?

Perhaps soy will prove a paradoxical salvation for the likes of me.

I can't really call it an epiphany per se, because I think I have known this for a long time. But mark today, February 10, 2009, with my official public announcement of acknowledgement, for from this day on, I will no longer argue to the point:

I am an old-looking idiot.

But an old-looking idiot with a theme song written expressly for me by two adorable young looking geniuses. If you haven't listened to this already, and if you are feeling at all like an old-looking idiot yourself today, I refer you to the bottom of:

http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=1419

Regardless of what your name is, be it Bobinator or Qbrain, Duckson or Kafka, just add the Gallyumbo part to your moniker and share in the rejuvenating powers of music!

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 11:26 PM by jim thornton

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Cardio Day, and drills...

by , February 10th, 2009 at 09:58 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well felt a bit sniffly this am but got onto the elliptical for 40 mins at HR >155...didn't quite keep up and the machine upped the load on me twice...I'll get her next time...finished with 4 x 20 Yoga ball squat thrusts.

Got in late in the day for a swim and did the following:
    4 x 50 EZ
    12 x 25 K :45 MMMF x 3 no fins
    3 x 100 K w/fins :20 RI
    4x 50 BK K-rotate, K-streamline, K-rotate, Swim.
    4 x 50 FR 2 w/snorkel, 2 no gear
    4 x 50 FR 2 w/paddles, 2 no gear
    Worked on the annoying splosh sound...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Noodler Interference Tuesday, Feb. 10

by , February 10th, 2009 at 03:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Had a irritating noodler experience today. Usually, I get along fine with most of the noodlers and lap swimmers and we each stay on our side of the lane. Today, I was stuck sharing a lane with someone who insisted on constantly drifting into the middle of the lane, kicking me while doing elementary backstroke, and doing bobs with her arms flapping like a bird. She wouldn't stay on her side of the lane even after I asked very sweetly. Her idiocy resulted in a collison on my AFAP 50.

Warm up:

450 swim
    200 kick
    150 fly drills

Other stuff:

3 x (3 x 25 build + 25 easy)

3 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 easy)

50 back AFAP, no time: Noodler insisted on bobbing in the middle of the lane while I was finishing. I swam right into her. I don't understand this at all. She saw me coming and I couldn't see her ... why get in my way when I'm traveling at fast speeds?! (Where is the f bomb emoticon?)

150 EZ

3 x (25 free AFAP + 25 easy)

100 EZ

Total: 1500

Other great news: Both my teenagers are home sick with congestion/cough/sore throats. Blech. I'd like to move out! Hip still sore, perhaps slightly better. This is the third consecutive 2 week taper where I've had "issues." I guess I'm well used to it at least. RL stops for nothing. On the bright side, I'm still holding at congestion and sore throat with no other symptoms so far. Now, I will go plaster a smile on my face as my littlest and sweetest child is almost home from school.

The Auburn psyche sheets are out.

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/~bailelc/masters.html

Haven't looked at them very closely. Yes, I'm sandbagging the 100 IM and 100 fly to get more rest. Ande said it was OK. lol. I'm advised that some other very speedy women swimming the same events as Puff are sandbagging by massive amounts. I guess it's a tradition at Auburn.

Stud: I'm in at least one wall lane! Unfortunately, it's for one of my best events ... Consider this an advance text of "facility flaws."

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 11:17 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  12. I literally "kicked" my one mile habit today....

Thanks to this forums help I was encouraged to increase my yardage to 2300. Feeling good.
    400 free
    300 back
    300 breast
    100 IM
    500 flipper kick (this is my extra yardage over mile)
    10 x 50 Free on 1:00 I may be doing this wrong cause I definitely sprint a steady 40 sec on each 50 , rest only 20 seconds. Is this how to do interval training?
    200 cool down
    2300 yards

Updated February 11th, 2009 at 08:57 AM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. A Bit of Kicking

by , February 10th, 2009 at 02:26 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY with Carrie

Warmup
    Swim 600 alt. 100 free, 50 back
    300 IM drill

Main Set
    1 x 300 free with 20 sec. rest (about 4:20)
    6 x 25 kick on back on :35, (did these around :25)
    30 sec. rest
    2 x 25 fast on :30 (did these around :20-21)
    50 easy
    30 sec. rest

1 x 300 kick on back in streamline, with fins (4-6 fly kicks off each wall)
    (did this in about 5:00)
    30 sec. rest
    6 x 25 choice with fins on :30 descend 1-3, 4-6 (did 1-3 free descent to :15, 4-6 back descent to :16)
    30 sec. rest
    2 x 25 kick on :30 with fins (about :18-19)
    take off fins
    50 easy
    30 sec. rest

1 x 300 back w/ fins (around 4:30)
    30 sec. rest
    6 x 25 pull on :30 choice smooth (did like above, 1-3 free, 4-6 back)
    30 sec. rest
    2 x 25 kick on :30 (no fins) choice fast (did these in about :20-21)

Cool down
    1 x 200 alt. 50 free/50

Total: 2700 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Feb 09

by , February 10th, 2009 at 11:56 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Today was the second day of "a free trial" that Coach Janine of the Aquasol masters here in El Dorado offered me last week, I was floundering at the El Dorado Hills (totally different town) Sports CLub; as their pool is about 75-77 degrees of bromine, yucky salty water, because I work nights, I needed to get some rest before my w/o. In contrast the YMCA/Union Mine/Aquasol pool is usually in the 80's with mild chorinaltion, the best pool I have been in thus far. Anyways its so cool to have a coached workout, even though Im am self taught swimmer, there are things that only a trained eye can see and a coach can evauate your strenghths and weaknesses and prescribe drills and w/o to help balance out your strokes.
    W 300 FR
    M 200 P / 200 K / 200 Swim
    10 x 50 Pace work on :35 every 1:00
    5x100Im
    D BR kicking drill (my kick is all wrong, so its getting fixed)
    D BR drill / BR stroke - dolphin kick
    c/d 200fr

Although this was a short w/o, it was really stroke specific, and stroke remediation.
    Looks like I will be cancelling the salty cold pool club and returning with the YMCA swimmers in the morning, and if my boss puts me on days by March I can join up with Aquasol.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Swimming in the Oaks

by , February 10th, 2009 at 11:26 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    I have to admit, up until the Summer Olympics of 2008, I was just a casual lap swimmer. My idea of a workout was doing 20 or 40 "laps" (there and back, or 2 lengths) 3 times a week and ride my road bike 14 miles on the alternate days. My fitness and enthusiasm would wax and wane through the years.
    Back in 1977 I was on the high school swim team, Poly High in Sun Valley, CA. Coach Richards said off hand one day, that I wouldn't become much of a swimmer in the future. I remember the varsity guys bragging to me about the L.A. High school city finals and maybe the Olympics, later they would have there dreams handed back to them in a wet paper sack as they didn't fair very well either!
    Although I could swim one lap (there and back, or 2 lengths) under water and easily cross reservoirs, such as Medicine Bow and Lake Oroville, I just didn't have much aspirations to be a swimmer, like those 'Olympians'
    Today, I have been working an average of 4 days in the pool a week, still trying to get under a minute in the 100 FR with room to spare, under 30 in the back, breast and fly. But Im a much different swimmer then last summer. Now, I swim intervals, I do structured workouts, the old "lap swimming" is a thing of the past. In fact someone once asked me, "How many laps do you swim in your workout?" I answered "i dont know, I know I swam 3200 yards, so I had to stop and calculate it.
    Although I have only had 2 coached workouts in the last 7 months and both of those were in L.A., the videos, books and even some of the workouts on this site have totally changed my perspective on swimming.
    I worked Janet Evans "Total Swimming" for 3 months, it brought my 100 FR time from 1:12 to 1:03. Im confident that I will get :55 within the next 2 months, my dryland training has increased and includes Pilates, road bike and some exercises from the "Complete conditioning for Swimmers".
    So I guess Ill try to log my progress here, cause us "Lone Rangers" need all the encuragement we can get...

Updated February 12th, 2009 at 02:40 AM by EricOrca

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. lifted & short swim practice

by , February 10th, 2009 at 11:07 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue Feb 10th 2009

TRAINING for SPEED and STRENGTH

WEIGHTS (LIFTED 5:30 - 5:55)
    bench 10 x 135 6 x 185 4 x 195
    lat press 8 x 40 8 x 45 8 x 50
    lat pull 8 x 167 6 x 207 5 x 215
    leg press 10 x 180 8 x 270 8 x 320
    Lat Press with bands

NEXT MEET:
    USA Swimming Austin Grand Prix Austin TX
    Thursday March 5 - Saturday March 7, 2009
    23 days away
    Meet format: Short Course AM, Long Course PM
    http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquatics/meets
    entered the following events
    #05 100 Butterfly 52.63
    #08 200 IM 2:00.32
    #18 100 Backstroke 54.05
    #24 200 Backstroke 2:21.04
    #26 100 Freestyle 48.85

NEXT MEET:
    2009 South Central Zone USMS Championships
    Friday March 27 - Sun March 29, 2009

NEXT MEET:
    Masters Nationals
    Fri May 8 - 10

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE
    6:30 - 8:00 (got out at 7:25 to make an 8:00 meeting)
    whitney coached
    scy TSC main pool
    swam with tyler amy brandon & ned
    beside larry max nate doug & meg

warm up
    did around 500

200 fr on 2:20 went 2:12 right into
    4 x 50 k on :45
    100 easy
    rest 30 - 60 sec

200 fr on 2:15 went 2:08 right into
    3 x 50 k on :45
    100 easy
    rest 30 - 60 sec

200 fr on 2:10 went 2:04 right into
    2 x 50 k on :45
    100 easy
    rest 30 - 60 sec

200 fr on 2:05 went 2:00 right into
    50 k on :45
    100 easy

assigned: 800
    did: 6 x 50
    odds easy, rest 35,
    evens strong with 8 SDKs rest 35 sec
    went 29, 28, 27

got out around 7:25
  17. Tuesday 2/10 - Stroke Day

by , February 10th, 2009 at 08:31 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Felt really strong especially on my backstroke, my strong kick was back today too.

15x50 @ 1:05 Free alternate by 50 Pull/Kick/Swim
    10x50 @ 1:00 as 25 Br 2kick1pull/25 free
    800 as 50 Free 25 Breast
    10x25 @ :45 Back catchup drill
    8x50 @ 1:00 Back with paddles and board
    8x25 @ :40 Back held between 20-22
    8x25 @ :40 as Fl/Bk, Bk/Br, Br/Fr
    600 Free

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Jimbo Jumbo Gallyumbo

by , February 10th, 2009 at 12:10 AM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Utterly exhausted.

Actually worked today. Odd. A foreign experience of late.

Blood drawn for testosterone and estrogen readings.

The soy era has begun. Soy milk--2 giant glasses. Cliff Bar, hopefully salmonella-free, but it's possible the local supermarket decided to **** the recall.

I like being able to use the word **** and not have to worry about it seeming bad. **** **** ****!

I am semi-documenting my soy experiment and its effect on my swimming, but too tired to post the footage yet.

What I will post tonight, however, is the practice I did that has left me vibrating with exhaustion and a sense that I am getting old.

And the leading contender for the Vlog the Inhaler theme song, written and performed by the two wonderful little daughters of my swimming teammate, Mark H.

I think that you will see their song about me has a lot in common with other songs like "It's a small world after all" and "The song that never ends."

Catchy. Infectious. And once it gets into you head, you just want to sing it nonstop all day and all night for the rest of your life.

Which, alas, you might also end up cutting short with a small arms round in the cranium.

Even this, however, is not enough to stop the sound of the Vlog the Inhaler theme song.

Enjoy!

Practice:

• 250 tai chi warm up on my own
    • 10 x 100 1:25 official warm up
    • 5 x 100 on 1:20 (1:12's -1:14s for me)
    • 1 x 500 at a better pace than above (6:12 --pathetique)
    • 5 x 100 on 1:15 (1:10s or 1:11s for me)
    • 1 x 500 at a better pace than above (yeah, right. I did a 6:22 and felt as ancient as a 56 year can feel)
    • 2 x 100 on 1:30
    • 1 x 200 fast (2:08, almost threw up; leg cramp the second 100 forcing the right angle ankle kick)
    • 6 x 50 on :40 (almost seized up)
    • 1 x 50 slow on my own to bring total up to 3600
    • steam bath
    • continued to drip sweat for a long long time after I got dressed. the pool water, by the way, was 85.

And now for the Jimbo Jumbo Gallyumbo song. Note: absolutely no video production values tonight. In fact, after the girls give me the muuaaahhh kiss, or at least Marion does, Carrie is too old to do such things, you can shut it down. The last 30 seconds or so is just me fumbling with the camera trying to turn it off.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU61U6iKtzk&eurl"]YouTube - The official song of Vlog the Inhaler[/ame]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. TIRED!

by , February 9th, 2009 at 10:17 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    OK I had a long day started in the pool at 10 and I just finished work at 8:30...here's what I got in!

600 FR/NFR by 100 Did BK, BK, BR
    5 times:
    50 DR 1:00
    50 K 1:30
    100 Swim 2:00
    I did FR, FR, FR, BR,BR

300 IM Drill, Kick, Swim
    8 x 50 Transition 1:00 I did a couple of 1:10's on the back half though.
    3 times:
    100 IM 2:00
    100 FR 1:45

200 Swim. Paddles, Snorkel and fins
    4 x 50 no gear.
    The last 400 I spent trying to track down and eliminate an annoying splash sound with my left arm think I'm onto it now though and it's going the way of the Dodo.

After that I showered and swigged a cup of coffee with 1/3 of a bagel then laid into the weights:
    4 sets Leg press/Calf Press superset
    4 sets Leg Extention
    4 sets Leg Curl
    4 sets Adduction
    4 sets Abduction
    4 sets Bench Press
    4 sets Crunch Machine
    4 sets Pull Down
    4 sets Seated Row
    I popped an extra plate on the stack for nearly all except adduction. Reps went about 12-15. Trying to get the weight so I fail between there now.

Updated February 13th, 2009 at 08:06 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. No more wine or whining, it's back to the pool!

by , February 9th, 2009 at 09:23 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I wasn't sure how my face would hold up with the goggles so I didn't really have a work out in mind. Here's a funny little pattern swim of 500 sets I made up as I went along.

1) 500 Free-easy warm-up and stretch
    2) 5 X 100 Free on 1:45
    3) 4 X 25 Fly on :45 (sprint rhythm/eo breath)
    4 X 100 Free on 1:50
    4) 6 X 50 (2 each stroke w/ 15 sec rest after each)
    2 X 100 Free on 1:55
    5) 8 X 50 Free on 1 min--Alternate paddles
    1 X 100 IM Fast as Can
    6) 10 X 50 Free on :55
    7) very easy 200 IM cooldown
    3,200 Felt Sublime!
    Categories
    Uncategorized