View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Beware the Ides of March

by , March 15th, 2009 at 10:41 PM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    Tonight's blog is a tired blog.

Today was my long swim day, and what a perfect day to be inside swimming for 4 hours.

It was the warmest, sunniest day we've had in Chicagoland for months. Aside from being tired, grumpy and in the final stages of Consumption, I woke up with "ladies" problems....grrrrrr. To cap it off, it was the Ides of March!!!!!!!

After much thought, I decided that the following would be a good workout:

This turned out to be way too easy, even for a consumptive, and I finished it in a personal best time.

So after much melding and mixing of my various plastic baggy clad workouts, the following was achieved:

yards swum: 13,100;
    toilet breaks: 6;
    coffee consumed: 20oz:
    Nutrition: 3 bottles of water, 1 ensure drink (yuk), 20 oz espresso, 2 gels (lemon sublime and vanilla), 1 small block of Cadbury's milk chocolate and 4 Tim Tams.
    Recovery: 2 Stella Artois and miniburgers at the pub.

and there was much rejoicing.

Updated March 15th, 2009 at 10:48 PM by Chicken of the Sea

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. GMU Implodes

by , March 15th, 2009 at 08:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Yikes! Was hoping to go to a "normal" masters workout on Sunday. But the plumbing went haywire at GMU last night. They had to cancel Senior Champs and our masters practice. The plumbing backed up and, er, flooded everywhere. I imagine suit disintegration will be in full force when they're done shocking the pool ...

So, had to do another sprinty type practice. Perfectly fine, as I have a meet in 6 days. My shoulder was a little iffy from weights and tossing and turning last night, so I wore fins.

SCY, solo:

Warm up:

800 variety warm up

Aerobic Set:

20 x 50 @ 1:00

odds, easy speed backstroke working SDks w/nose clip, 1st 25 = 12 dolphin kicks, 2nd 25 = 10 or so.

evens, tempo dolphin kick w/board

Thought: SDKs are way easier w/the nose clip. There was little perceived effort in these 50s, yet I was coming in on 29.5-30. The only effort was holding my breath. If I really want to make progress in this area, I need to get more serious about CO2 tolerance at practice. I've been shirking it in backstroke for many months.

50 EZ

Speed sets:

6 x 100 free @ 2:00

#1 25 fast, 75 cruise
    #2 50 cruise, 25 fast, 25 cruise
    #3 25 cruise, 25 fast, 50 cruise
    #4 75 cruise, 25 fast
    #5 fast (:55ish)
    #6 easy

This is harder than you might think. It's rather exhausting to switch gears mid swim than just doing a fast 25.

100 EZ

3 x (50 AFAP backstroke from push w/nose clip + 200 EZ)

#1 went 25-25.5ish
    #2 went 26ish, trying to use hands/arms a bit
    #3 went 25.5ish trying to snap knees more on the SDK

Moral of the story: Don't think, just swim. Or, possibly, the first one in an AFAP set may be the fastest.

Total: 3300

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Random Thoughts:

1. Was thinking about sports injuries a bit today. In general (many exceptions), it seems like women tend to get injuries from the waist up and men tend to get them from the waist down. Maybe cuz women are typically bigger on bottom and men are typically bigger on top?

2. Was thinking that women should commence wearing briefs or jammers under their B70s like men. This would protect against embarassing suit malfunctions. It would also give women the benefit of something men who do this have had for a long time: increased compression through the butt/hip/thigh area. However, this thought is now wasted as FINA just rule that only one suit will be allowed, effective immediately. I wonder if masters who aren't aware of FINA ruling will nonetheless carry on with this? What happens if someone is wearing illegal suits at a masters meet?

3. Who benefits the most from weights, a skinny swimmer or a mesomorphic swimmer?

4. Had some oatmeal today, at Jazz's suggestion. I realize She Puff does this on a daily basis. It wasn't too bad. Seemed to have more staying power than my usual breakfast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ugh. Fort Son has the flu ... If Mini-Fort catches it before her meet this weekend, I'll have to move out it will be so ugly in the house ...

Updated March 16th, 2009 at 12:35 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Sunday 3/15 - Finally back in the pool

by , March 15th, 2009 at 05:50 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    After 2 days at sectionals with my swimmer I am back in the pool. Another slow sluggish start. Got some good speed on the 50's breast and back. The fly felt too relaxed but great form.

1000 Free as 200 swim/pull/swim/kick/swim

10x50 @ :55 Free with paddle on right hand 4 kicks on the paddle hand
    10x50 @ :55 Free with paddle on left hand 4 kicks on the paddle hand

200 breast kick with fins
    4x50 @ 1:00 breast with fins held 48's
    200 fly kick streamline on back with fins
    4x50 @ 1:00 fly with fins held 40's
    200 back kick streamline on back with fins
    4x50 @ 1:00 back with paddles held 43's

300 free every 3rd lap non free

Total 3500 yards

On a good note my swimmer Sandra dropped time in 2 out of her 3 events at sectionals.

Updated March 17th, 2009 at 08:42 AM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Confronting the Elements

by , March 14th, 2009 at 07:59 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Long story, but I was not able to get to the Y today while it was open. This left me with the choice of bagging my run or doing it in the rain. Earlier in the day, I had decided to bag it. Then, I read Jim Thornton's post on the weight reduction thread which discussed the correlation between body fat and speed in sprints among female swimmers. This was enough motivation for me to go for a 4 mile run in the rain. Had it been in the forties or below, I know I would not have done it.

Running in the rain in fifty degrees or above is actually quite enjoyable if you are dressed for it. It keeps you cool the entire time and washes away the sweat. So, I donned a long-sleeve shirt, my tights, laced up my shoes, and headed out the door. When I started out, there was just drizzle. Throughout the run, it alternated between drizzle and a steady downpour. I thought about the normal guy the other day that made the comment that it was too hot to run. I wonder what he would think is more OCD - running 4 miles in 80 degrees or running 4 miles in 55 degrees with pouring rain.

Anyway, here are the details of my run:

Terrain: Rolling hills (on the road)
    Total time: 40:36
    Average HR: 151

This run really felt pretty good and I was once again encouraged that I didn't have any knee problems or lower back issues. This has somewhat been a light week, but I will take it. My running seems to be feeling a little bit better.

I'm debating deck entering St. Pats in Atlanta and doing the 500 free and 100 free on Sunday. I don't have any expectations, but just want to stay in meet shape. I may do a time trial in practice next week to see where I am on my 500 free.

Back to the past week, here is a review of my week:

Total swimming yards: 7800 yards (3 workouts)
    Running miles: 13 miles (4 workouts)
    Bike: 20 miles (1 workout)
    Weights: 1 workout

Updated March 15th, 2009 at 12:10 AM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Double, Sat., March 14

by , March 14th, 2009 at 06:52 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    After ditzing around & getting pounded on for 2 days, I finally got a decent double in. It actually felt like awhile since I had lifted. lol

AM Weights/Core:

standing lat pull down, 130 x 2 x 10
    bench press, 80 x 2 x 12
    narrow grip seated row, 110 x 2 x 10
    (think I'm using my back to much in this, so reduced weight a bit. probably should watch a video to make sure.)

double crunch w/med ball, 2 x 25
    russian twist w/med ball, 2 x 50
    dead bug on bosu, 2 x 25
    V ups w/ med ball, 2 x 15
    (McTrusty is right -- these are fun!)
    double crunch on bench w/feet holding 10 lb weight, 2 x 25
    (adding weight makes these harder and it's harder to balance on the bench than the floor)

10 chin ups
    2 x 5 pull ups

external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    seated straight arm dip for RC, 60 x 2 x 25

PM Swim:

Went to the local rec center. Knew it would be crowded on a Sat afternoon. It was, but I somehow managed to have my own lane for the fly set.

Warm up:

850 variety warm up of swim, kick, drills

Sets:

10 x 75 @ 1:20, backstroke w/nose clip
    moderate pace, working on SDKs w/clip

50 EZ

15 x 50 @ 1:00
    25 easy speed fly, 25 easy DAB

50 EZ

3 x through:
    (Geekity set)

2 x 25, 12.5 fast, 12.5 cruise
    50 EZ
    2 x 25 AFAP
    100 EZ

150 EZ

Total: 3000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hip feels better today. But no fast kicking/kick sets () and no deadlifts. I'm not used to swimming for a whole workout! Felt weird.
  6. sat mar 14

by , March 14th, 2009 at 04:14 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat Mar 14th, 2009

overslept needed to leave my home at 6:45
    but woke up at 7:00

NEXT MEET:
    2009 South Central Zone USMS Championships
    Friday March 27 - Sun March 29, 2009
    13 days away

NEXT MEET
    USMS MASTERS NATIONALS
    May 8 - 10
    http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats09/
    55 days away

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE
    7:30 - 9:00
    Whitney Coached
    scy TSC main pool
    swam with Mike, Jeff, a triathlete, beside brad, jon, mike & chris were there too
    dove in around 8:00

Warm Up
    missed

Assigned: 3 x 200
    did 3 x ( 100, rest 50, swim 50)

2 x 50 bk

Assigned: 2 x 300
    Did: 50 easy 50 skip

2 x 50 br

assigned 600 fr
    did 6 x 50 fr

100 fr easy speed
    went 55

assigned 200 IM
    did 50 easy 50 skip

2 x 100 k

4 x 50 done 25 SDK underwater no breath, 25 easy

assigned 200 IM
    did 50 easy 50 skip

2 x 100 k

4 x 50 done 25 SDK underwater no breath, 25 easy

25 SDK fast
    went 11.4

50 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Dreaded Taper

a bunch of my club-mates have decided on the new england scy championship as the big meet for the season... so 2 weeks out "taper" begins.
    i don't feel like i've gotten my base back up to the point that i want to taper from but ... the team player am i so:

friday 13

i did 4 x 200 warm up (alternating FR/BK x 200)

6 x 50 on 1:00 picking up the pace and establishing a comfortable stroke length, i held :32's with 13 SPL

main set:
    5 x 100 FR on 6:00
    1 and 2 went 1:00
    3 - 5 went 59's

i swam 100 easy after each and 300 warm down.

i will do the same set this afternoon only IM

i went for a 40 mile road ride today with 4 friends. started out at 31 degrees finished at 36 degrees. mine was the only steel ride.... a 1983 team PDM concorde aquila; campy record; sew-ups; friction shifters on the drop (i didn't wear the leather hair net)

don't tell the taper police about my bike ride.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. March 13 2009 @ 'Y

by , March 14th, 2009 at 09:37 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Back (l4-l5 herniation) was bothering me today, but I hung in there.
    8 days till SCAM Berkeley meet....
    another simple short one...
    Warm 300
    1x50 BK Kick
    10x50 Kick w/fins on :50
    4x100 FR Pull
    6x75 1:10 (:50-:55)
    6x50 Pace on 1:00 (avg :37)
    200 cool
    I kept it non-stop, finished in about 45 min.
    Later I did about 30 minutes of Pilates/yoga and some dryland.
    The Y will be swimming this fine Saturday morning (March 14), and I was hoping to be there...but I need to rest my back until Masters on Monday...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Ocean Swim, or at least it felt like it!

by , March 14th, 2009 at 01:26 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I went directly to LA Fitness after school today hoping to beat the crowd and get a good undisturbed workout.
    I failed to check the class schedule and notice I would be swimming with an aqua aerobic class. The pool in this facility is a full 25 yards long , but only 3 lanes wide. Two of the lanes were consumed with 25 or so women taking the aqua class. These women were fierce.....they had some type of resistance blades on their hands and gripper shoes on their feet that enabled them to bounce up and down creating wakes similar to those created by large oceanliners.
    I hopped in the water and started my warm-up. The effect of all the bobbin' and churning was similar to Lake Michigan on a choppy day. I tried lapse into my'"Big Shoulder's" mentality and carry on. I ended up having a pretty good swim and was entertained by the aqua ladies music, bobbin', and waves. Here's the workout:

1) 800 Free Warm-up
    2) 3 X 100 on 2:00
    3) 3 X 100 on 1:55
    4) 3 X 100 on 1:50
    5) 3 X 100 on 1:45
    All Freestyle with no break inbetween sets. Next week I wil add one more set of 3 X 100 on 1:40. I will probably take a 1 min. break before the last set.
    6) 10 X 50 fast flutter kick on back on 1:00, used zoomers (I am a terrible kicker, I am trying to improve)
    7) Super 500 Freestyle with Butterfly recovery 25's. 30 sec. per 25 interval.
    8) 10 X 50 Freestyle on 1:00
    9) Easy 100 Backstroke

3,600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Fifties Friday

by , March 13th, 2009 at 09:28 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    The last two days, I have been very lazy. I took yesterday off and did absolutely nothing. Today all I did was swim and I took it pretty easy. The workout was pretty fun though.

I'm not happy about the weather. No bike rides since Sunday and looks like I will have to do my 6 mile run tomorrow on the treadmill.

Here is swim workout from today:

Warm-up: 400 easy
    4 x 25 free on :30 - 4 breaths, 3, 2, 1

10 x 50 free on 1:00
    #s 1, 4, 7, 10 - breathe every 3
    #s 2, 5, 8 - breathe every 5
    #s 3, 6, 9 - breathe every 7

One minute rest

10 x 50 kick with fins on 1:00
    Alternate 2 x 50 front flutter with 2 x 50 back flutter

One minute rest

10 x 50 free on :55
    #s 1, 4, 7, 10 - breathe every 3
    #s 2, 5, 8 - breathe every 5
    #s 3, 6, 9 - breathe every 7

One minute rest

10 x 50 kick with fins on 1:00
    Alternate 2 x 50 on front, 2 x 50 on side, 2 x 50 on back

One minute rest

5 x 50 swim - I.M. order with last 50 being a 50 I.M - all on 1:00

One minute rest

6 x 25 - I.M. order with # 5 being 25 fly/back and #6 being 25 breast/free

100 easy

Total yards: 3000

Updated March 14th, 2009 at 01:37 AM by elise526

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Friday the 13th

by , March 13th, 2009 at 07:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Blech, bad day. Woke up feeling sore from deep tissue massage and then my chiro beat me up some more. No fast kicking and no lower body work (run, elliptical, weights, etc) is now advised, though not mandated, for a bit. That leaves so much else ... lol My back is now adorned with bright blue kinesio tape. Guess I'll be more rested for my meet next weekend than I thought ... I had only contemplated a 3 day mini-taper ... Still, better now than at another time, I guess. Hoping to feel better tomorrow after all the body work.

Was going to get a quick swim in, but decided to bag it until tomorrow in a rare fit of lack of motivation and bad mood-itis. This fit was initially brought on (aside from the soreness) by my kid. What 14 year old misses her heat of the 400 IM at Senior Champs? Yeesh! And I got up early for that ... Rest of the day was likewise frustrating, and I was stuck at the house for much of it. On the upside, I did purchase 3 new nose clips and hope that I can keep them more than 3 days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other News:

EC Matrix:

I'm told this is a hot new supplement in sports medicine. It's a mechanism-specific formula designed to help maintain/reduce inflammation in the ligaments. It's apparently not like ibuprofen, which can impair secondary healing. Supposed to be superior to protrypsin or glucosamine.

http://www.metagenics.com/products/detail.asp?pid=637

PRP:

A couple weeks ago I posted an article from the NYT lauding plasma regeneration therapy as a new breakthrough in sports medicine. (That's the procedure I used for my labral tearing.) My chiro told me today that, since the article was published, my PRP/pain doc has been swamped and can't keep up with all the new clients. The orthos are apparently up in arms about it, as they feel their business is threatened. This is a bit hard to see as aging baby boomers continue taking up endurance sports though ...

B70 Ban?:

Mentioned this on a forum thread, but when I was in the local swim shop today, the owner told me unequivocally that the B70 would be banned "in May" and "flunked" the buoyancy test. This is news to me. I thought nothing would happen until 2010. Hoping I at least get some further use out of my new suit. I suspect there may be modifications forthcoming in future generations of B70s.

I saw many LZRs and some B70s at Senior Champs today. My kid isn't swimming at finals tonight (scratched) as she's resting for a meet next week, but I'm now getting frequent text updates on how many of her friends have LZRs. The arms race is in full swing!

Split Request

Got confirmation today that my split request for the 100 back from Auburn was sent to the top ten recorder for southeastern masters.

Updated March 13th, 2009 at 08:58 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. There's movement...

by , March 13th, 2009 at 05:34 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well my Sunday meet is wrecked, but at least things seem to be improving with my back and I'll be able to train up for zones...though I don't know how I'm going to workout he next month in training/taper terms after basically what will be a 3 week layoff by the end of next week.

I got in 1200 today and am hopeful of a good improvement in condition over the weekend.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. March 13th...Friday the 13! Yeow!

Just my luck our workout started at 5:30!(I wish).
    I did it. Got there and pushed my self to keep up with the guy in the other lane or maybe he was just being kind and pacing me. He'd beat me anyway at the 10yds or with a powerful turn. I will use anything that will help me to march onward.
    Question:
    I have to learn exactly where to approach the wall for my turn when swimming in a circle. Straight in front of me and then angle over or head to the middle then turn or if there is room cut far left and turn in my new lane. There must be a best way so one gets the best technique practice possible for the flip turn yet no painful and at best embarassing collision.
    W did a of 900 75's and 25stroke (100's) on 2:00 min interval. I think I kept it under 1:45 with 15 rest. Definitely under 1:50.
    alot of 75 swim 25 kick
    I just don't remember it all. Does that come with time?
    Of course my in the water RC excercise with flippers and snorkel. I actually enjoy these.
    I mailed in my entry fee for Devil Splash.

Updated March 13th, 2009 at 05:56 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Backstroke is coming on!!

by , March 13th, 2009 at 01:10 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, with Carrie
    This was a pretty good workout for me. I surprised myself on the back set.

200 swim free
    200 kick w/board choice
    (went 50 flutter/50 breast )
    200 IM drill
    200 pull free breathe every 5
    (these are starting to get a little easier)
    200 no free
    (went 50 fly/50 back/50 breast/50 back)

8 x 75 on 1:30 alt. kick/drill/swim by 25: go 2x through IM order, a 75 of each stroke
    (Didn't make the interval on the breast in the 1st 4, took an extra 30 sec. before starting the 2nd round. Made the interval on all the 2nd time.)

Main Set
    swim 3x200 back on 3:30 descend 1-3
    (went 3:05 -2:58 - 2:48. My best ever is 2:46+ )
    100 easy

swim 2x200 free on 3:30 #2 faster than #1
    (went 2:50 - 2:40)
    100 easy

Cool down
    100 easy free, back and DAB

Total: 2900 yards

Updated March 13th, 2009 at 01:54 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. fast friday

by , March 13th, 2009 at 11:18 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri Mar 13th, 2009

Men's Individual Results
    ONE HOUR POSTAL SWIM, 2009

did OK in the 45 - 49 age group

Swam Thu
    arrived late went around 2,000
    did 100 IM dive
    went 57

NEXT MEET:
    2009 South Central Zone USMS Championships
    Friday March 27 - Sun March 29, 2009
    14 days away
    Entered:

Fri
    400 IM

Sat
    100 IM
    50 BR
    50 BK
    100 FL

Sun
    50 FR
    100 BK
    200 IM
    50 FL
    200 FR

NEXT MEET
    USMS MASTERS NATIONALS
    May 8 - 10
    http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats09/
    56 days away
    50 Butterfly
    100 Backstroke
    50 Freestyle
    100 Butterfly
    100 Individual Medley
    50 Backstroke

Program to Count Days

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE
    5:30 - 7:00
    Whitney Coached
    scy TSC main pool, north end, blocks
    swam with Tyler Mike Nate Amy Brandon Jon Larry Max Doug Ned Todd & Chris
    dove in around 5:45

Warm Up
    choice till 6:00
    did 200 then
    50's on 50

Put on Blue Seventy Nero Comp

Assigned: 500 fr on 10:00
    did 250

Assigned: 500 strong on 10:00
    Did: 500 easy speed
    Went: 5:18

3 x 200 on 4:00
    went 1:53 on #3

4 x 100 on 2:00 extra 1:00 after #3
    went 51 low on #4

5 x 50 on 1:20
    went 22 on #5

50 easy

Updated March 13th, 2009 at 12:21 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Synaptical Cracklings

by , March 12th, 2009 at 10:37 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Three continuous days of trying to make sense of three-year old receipts in preparation for IRS Ragnarok has left my brain feeling like it's being pummeled by heat lightning and bees.

The best advice so far has been found in a homework assignment that my friend Bill's son, Liam, boy genius, completed recently.

Liam simulating his look of reflection during the class in which the idiom assignment was handed out by Miss Crabnik, or whatever her name is.

Miss Crabnik's assignment completed by Liam quickly and with an enviable combination of succinctness and accuracy.

Oh, how easy life is when one has the freedom to open one's piehole, and the happy world economy tugs its small bits of flotsam like me in a balmy current!

Shall we ever see the likes of such days again?

On this note, a very, very quick update of February 21st, 2009's "Cliffhangers" vlog entry. To job your memories, this was a list of depressing questions I was asking myself back then, that is to say, before things got much, much worse:

1. Will he lose what little net "worth" he has left to the IRS? LIKELY BUT NOT YET DETERMINED
    2. Will he get over his cold? YES, BUT ANOTHER IS INEVITABLE
    3. Will his estrogen levels rise in a clinically significant way, LIKELY BUT NOT YET DETERMINED and will he then sell video access to his moobs on the Internet to a wealthy subset of very peculiar fetishists? UNLIKELY BUT NOT YET DETERMINED
    4. Will he act on an impulse, increasingly boisterous within his serotonin-depleted brain, that urges him to substitute one stubborn vice for an old relinquished one? SO FAR NO BACKSLIDING BUT WHO CAN HOLD OUT FOREVER
    5. Will he lose his job? SIGNS POINT TO YES
    6. Will he get the go ahead to write about masters swimming LIKELY BUT NOT YET DETERMINED and perchance get to attend Y Nationals in Ft. Lauderdale NO and try to talk the B70 Corporation into lending him a suit? NO
    7. Will he be forced to sell his ancestral stomping grounds and boyhood home for worthless pennies on the even more worthless dollar? NOT YET DETERMINED BUT CONSIDERING PLACING A CRAIG'S LIST AD FOR LODGERS
    8. Will he grow a spine or continue to lose bone density here until the metamorphosis into an invertebrate is done? NO SPINE YET PER SE, BUT SLIGHT VESTIGIAL TAIL GROWTH APPARENT
    9. Will he figure out how to get Windows Movie Maker to work again on his computer so he can do piss poor video edting, which would at least allow him to vlog again? NO
    10. Will his brother John ever download the most recent batch of lugubrious footage he sent him and turn it into something amusing? YES
    11. Will he spell cliffhanger with two f's, i.e., the conventional way, or with one f, in deference to the soy-filled energy bars that are helping him to grow a pair of hirsute titulars? NOT YET DETERMINED
    12. Will readership of the vlog continue its downwards trend as his fellow Americans, bloated with their own grief, tire of reading about his? YES
    13. Will he swim tomorrow's 1650 at CMU despite his head already swimming within its suffocating skullcap? YES; AS ONE GREAT MAN ONCE PUT IT: IT IS FINISHED.
    14. Will he appear on Court TV after doing something, or some many things, decidedly ill-advised? NOT YET DETERMINED
    15. Will he ever again smile and swagger and speak without a palsied twitching of the voice box? YES, BUT ONLY BY ACTING
    16. Will he end up in the one place he has always dreaded most, the Snake Pit, being administered to by nurse R? NOT YET DETERMINED
    17. Will he go to his grave waylaid still in the one dimensionality of the first person? NOT YET DETERMINED
    18. Will he keep the card house standing? NOT YET DETERMINED
    19. Will he enjoy the “largely unanticipated delight in the suffering of another which is cognized as trivial and/or appropriate”--or will he find this cold comfort at best? NO
    20. Will he hang or drown or go the way of most? NOT YET DETERMINED
    21. Will he get a PR again? NOT YET DETERMINED
    22. Will he have his way with a CreamPuff like vision?IT'S UP TO HER, BUT THE FACT THAT SHE DOESN'T THINK WE ARE COUSINS LOOKS PROMISING
    23. Will he gain or lose his will? AGAIN, IT'S UP TO HER AND A COMMITTEE OF HER KINFOLK AND COUNTRY ELDER HILL PEOPLE, IN OTHER WORDS, NOT LIKELY

Updated April 16th, 2009 at 11:35 AM by jim thornton

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. March 12 2009 - Morn @ the Y'

by , March 12th, 2009 at 06:20 PM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Had to cut it short today,
    So,

Warm 300

6x200 2x 200FR, 200IM, 200BK
    (first time with the little short fins, 2nd time no fins)
    2x75 FR 1:10
    3x50 FR :45

cool 100

1800 yds

Im getting used to the 200IM, which should make my 100IM all the easier!
    I really like the Bettertimes Orange fins, especially for the BR kick, I don't have it down yet, however the fins force me to keep good form, It magnify's the "feel" so I guess I just am very BR K challenged!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Thursday, March 12

by , March 12th, 2009 at 04:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    No real workouts today. Had a deep tissue massage booked. Um, boy, did I need it! I was sore and tight everywhere. Massage therapist, like the chiro, didn't think my hip was really "injured" (no pulling, tearing, etc). Just thought I had over stretched/over contracted it and it was spasming some. Unfortunately, absent the complete rest Jimby was talking about, it could take awhile to resolve. I'll just stay away from lunges and maybe limit the fast kicking for a bit. On a funny note, she also asked how I can even run with my loose floppy ankles. lol (One other tidbit: If you're rehabbing an injured area, best to use a massage-chiro sequence rather than the other way around.)

Afterward, swam an easy 1500 and sat in the hot tub.

Tomorrow, I'll lift and do the workout Geek posted this am. Looked like a very nice and enjoyable speed workout.

Here's something to chew on:

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...ad_Lifting.pdf

Questions:

1. When you're writing down your weight workout, does the amount of the weight come first?

2. Is anyone doing plyometrics? If so, which exercises?

3. Anyone have any other recommendations for good core exercises for variety? Anyone doing a wood chopper on the med ball? (That will make Jazz grind his teeth, I'm sure.)

4. If you do pushups with a weight on your back, is this putting more of a load on your shoulders or your torso/back?

5. Is anyone using resistance bands like Ande? Anyone have an opinion on them?

6. How often are we supposed to use the foam roller? Every other day?

Updated March 12th, 2009 at 04:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Weights and strength training

by , March 12th, 2009 at 02:59 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I started doing some strength training about a month ago. I made a deal with a friend who is a personal trainer, she wants to do a triathlon and needs a swim coach and I need a trainer to help me with a weight program. Works out great for both of us.

I haven't been blogging the weights sessions because I couldn't remember everything we did each time. I've been doing this twice weekly with one session focusing on lower body and core and the other, upper and core. What we do varies from week to week.

Here is what I did last Tuesday:

Leg workout

3 sets of the following

Core: Overhead extension with alternating legs (10lb plate) 10 reps each side
    Oblique toe taps 20 each side
    Knee-ins 15 reps
    Back extensions (10 lb weight) 15

First circuit:
    Step-ups (15lb dumbbells) 20 reps each side
    Split Squat (25lb plate) 15 reps each side
    Lying Hamstring Curl (70Lbs) 15 reps

Second circuit:
    Leg Press (90 lbs for 20 reps 140lbs for 15reps- last 2 sets at 140 for 15)
    Lunge (15lb dumbbells) 15-20 reps
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. A bit of everything...

by , March 12th, 2009 at 01:20 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, solo

Warmup
    400 swim (did all free, focusing on a tight body line)
    4 x 50 alt. drill/long stroke on 1:05; do one of each stroke
    4 x 50 on :55 free descend 1-4
    (went from :41->:36 )

Main Set
    pull 4 x 75 free on 1:20 with paddles: hold at about 70%
    (ave 1:00 felt really smooth and relaxed and didn't think I was swimming that fast)
    swim 4 x 25 fly all out on :40
    (around :18-19)
    50 easy

pull 4 x 75 back on 1:20 w/o paddles:
    (ave 1:05 again felt smooth and relatively effortless)
    50 easy

swim 4 x 75 breast on 1:45: keep the stroke long
    (ave 1:25-30, I still don't like this stroke but it is getting a little easier)
    50 easy

pull 4 x 75 free with paddles on 1:20 at about 70% again
    (ave 1:00 and still felt smooth and easy)

Cool down
    swim 300
    (alternated 50 free/50 back)

Total: 2750 yards

Will do my 75 min yoga class tonight.

Updated March 12th, 2009 at 04:02 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized