View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Thursday 2/5 - Another easy day

by , February 5th, 2009 at 08:54 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Felt great today but really did not push much except a few starts and breakouts. The massage I had yesterday has really helped my left shoulder.

500 as 100swim/100pull/100swim/100kick/100swim
    5x100 @ 2:00 Free keep it loose
    10x50 from a dive 15 yards fast 3 fly, 3fr, 2 bk, 2 br
    5x100 @ 2:15 IM fly drill, back pull, breast kick, free swim
    2x500 @ 1:00 Rest #1 with small paddles and bouy #2 just loose

Total 3000 yards

Meet this Saturday in North Myrtle Beach!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Meet A Part Of Me That Feels Like Every Other Day

by , February 4th, 2009 at 11:30 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Lift Your Head Up, Wednesday.

Lyrics: Jimmy Eat World

I ended up swimming tonight at LA Fitness. The water is a little too warm; it qualifies as heat training. (Do we need heat training in swimming?) I made a great dinner of sauteed green/red/yellow peppers, onions, and pieroges. I threw in a side of grilled italian sausage for the carnivores. Here is my thrilling swim work out for the day:

1) 800 Freestyle- building speed-breath every 3 strokes after the first 200.
    2) 8 X 25 with evf paddles--sloggy..yukup!
    3) 4 X 200 freestyle on 3:30 interval
    4) 8 X 25 Dot Drill with the dreaded paddles
    5) 8 X 100 Freestyle on 1:50 interval
    6) easy 50
    7) 8 X 25 Fly on :40 interval 2 good dolphin kicks before each break-out
    8) 3 X 75 Backstroke on 1:30
    9) 3 X 50 Backstroke on 1:00
    3,400 yards I feel good again!

till the next time,

bobinator
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Good 2k...no bong!

by , February 4th, 2009 at 10:59 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    OK so after a restless night of waking every 60-75 minutes...I guess I was trying to digest the bong thread....so anyhow I had to blow off swimming at 4:30. However, I got in mid morning and picked up 2k of the workout in 40-45 minutes.

500 FR I went 7:30 This is a big drop for me since the last time I recorded my time (7:55) . I knew I was on for a cracking pace because I had my watch intervals beeping and I was deeper and deeper into successive 100's before it beeped...something new!

Twice through this fun and sprinty set, should have been 4 times through alternating FR and Stroke, but I didn't have the time--will revisit the full version soon!
    All done on 1:00 per 50 yards
    50 DR
    4 x 25 FAST
    50 DR
    2 x 50 FAST
    50 DR
    1x 100 FAST
    50 EZ

3 x 100 K :20 RI with fins
    4 x 25 FLY :30
    2 x 50 BR Mod+ 1:15

Got in some weights today went around the gym for my full workout and used a bit heavier than normal, now that the meet is past!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Wed Feb 4th

by , February 4th, 2009 at 08:02 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Feb 4th

did not swim today
    coached the san marcos rattlers

spent today at the emergency room
    my son sprained both his ankles
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. "I am not a creeper!" declares Vloggist

by , February 4th, 2009 at 06:59 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    A mini self-vlogging here before the more severe self-vloggulation of swimming practice begins in 1 hour and 10 minutes.

It has occurred to me, after receiving several comments, possibly from women with kidney stones and delicate Scylla and Charybdis-like nether passages to same, that a section of yesterday's vlog may have seemed to some of you (i.e., those who avoid reading about the latest scientific findings) to have been the arbitrary and sickly imaginative fantasies of a creeper.

I refer specifically to my offer to remove Jessica Alba's kidney through her birth canal.

One woman emailed me the following (in response to my circulation of the vlog url http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=1313 to select teammates in the hopes that they would A) open the vlog, B) click the "rate this vlog" button, C) select "Excellent!" ******, and finally D) either read it or not; once the Excellent tab has been checked, their further behavior is not my concern.

Anyhow, here, in its snippity snappity entirety, is what this snippy-snappy snapper wrote me, ostensibly in reference to Jessica, vaginas, and kidney extractions:

Jim, I don't rally need to get your email reply to all the Masters. I don't particularly get your humor. I would appreciate if you make a note to remove me from your group list, unless it is something you need to send to me specifically.

Thanks,

--Humorless Cur*

*name changed slightly

Not long after this, another young woman, whose opinion I care deeply about, and whose kidney I have long sort of wanted to extract with my trochar (see picture), told me she found the whole business tasteless, sick, and marveled at how I could have any friends at all.

Trochar being used on a rodent

Anyhow, we went back and forth on the topic of me, my lack of friends, the reason girls don't like me, why she thinks I am disgusting, that sort of thing, in other words, putting myself willingly through the Dr. Kurt Dixon "time is a violent stream and the world is a meat grinder" exact summation of La Condition Humane.

Then all of a sudden it occurred to me why this other woman (not Humorless Cur, the other one) was so mad about the whole business:

She thought I had made up the whole concept of kidney through vagina extractions!

As soon as I realized this, I felt so much better!

No, one thousand million times NO!

Jimby did not make up anything, ever, in the history of my life, having to do with vaginas and medical intervention! No, no! This is not my world! I have no desire to intrude here in any but the most wholesome of natural ways! And even this, due to no fault of my own, has proven by and large impossible!

Science made this up. Science and scientists and real men of Medicine and Hippocratic First Do No Harm Oaths!

I honestly and truly thought that this new procedure, publicized widely via the Associated Press yesterday, was something that everyone already knew about!

'Natural orifice' surgery is the final frontier

Ewen Callaway, reporter
    We've all heard about the urban legend where a person wakes up in a hotel bathtub with a scar across the abdomen, one kidney lighter.
    However, a new surgical procedure could make donating a kidney nearly scar-free - at least for women. For the first time, doctors extracted a kidney out of a patient's vagina for the purpose of organ donation.

You can read the whole thing here: http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/sh...ry-is-the.html

So there. I think we all feel much better now knowing that beyond all possible question, your vlogger is 100 percent not a creeper.

Never was, is not now, not ever gonna be!

1. Attentive readers will note that Jimby has pioneered the self-referential "meta-vlog" in today's offering. Within the present vlog, he has provided a link to yesterday's vlog. He is considering going back to yesterday and inserting a self-referential link to today's, or yesterday's future, vlog. But he fears that he might somehow get stuck in a circular loop and spend the rest of eternity in something very close to perdition.

2. Another quality evident in today's effort is the use of random boldings of words and thoughts and so forth. Readers of comic books will see that Jimby has simply taken an old technique from Spiderman inkers and applied it to his own work a la Mary Jane below:

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Yawn Meh Wed, Feb 4

by , February 4th, 2009 at 04:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Workout:

No swim
    No run
    No spin
    No heavy, or even medium, weights
    (I am being a good, obedient taperer.)

morning nap
    30 minutes at gym: very light weights, core, RC, stretch
    5 minutes hot tub
    5 minutes steam room
    5 minutes shower

Taper Update:

No taper munchies yet
    No taper bitchies yet, though the fam has been warned
    No feeling crappy yet
    No hyperactivity detected yet
    No dysthymia

Started to ponder my next meet after Auburn, which will be the Albatross Open on March 21. As usual, the order of events leaves something to be desired, with the fly-back-free 50s crammed in the last hour. (The Little Devil refuses to change the order of events each year like a good meet director.) Since this meet is on the weekend of JOs, my entries will be decided by what time Mini-Fort is swimming in finals. I may have to leave early. Last year, I swam 100 fly-50 fly-50 free-mixed 200 free relay. This year, I will do 100 fly and 100 back, and either the 50 fly or 50 back if time permits. I will be sad if I have to miss the relay because our mixed GMUP relay was #1 last year.

http://www.pvmasters.org/entry/ancm0309.pdf

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 11:21 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Fat Man in the Water 2/3/09

by , February 4th, 2009 at 04:29 PM (Fat Man back in the Pool)
    Thursday Evening 1/29- Scout Office folding & stuffing envelopes.

Saturday 1/31 - Team was doing one-hour postal. As per my comment on the Postal Thread, 1 time (15 years ago) was enough.

Tuesday 2/3 New Territory Pool, 25 SCY Dana Coached

300 swim
    12 x 50 kick
    4 x 100 Free descend on 1:40
    stretched 1:18 - 1:14
    4 x 100 Pull descend on 1:40
    bailed on first one and then moved in
    4 x 100 Free descend on 1:40
    a bit slower - rotator cuff bothering me
    4 x 100 Pull descend on 1:40
    swam 3 x 100 Breast on 2:10
    4 x 50 choice
    125 easy to pull tarp

2825 - Iced shoulder for 45 min afterwards. Need to get my stretch cord anchors installed this weekend. The left shoulder stayed sore well into today.

Schedule will allow me to swim Thursday, but not Saturday - Its the Scouting Report to State and I have 6 youth in the contingent that are traveling to Austin. Two will be able to report on how our Council is performing on the floor of the Texas Senate.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. EZ Aerobic Free and Kick Day

by , February 4th, 2009 at 02:09 PM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    11:00 AM to Noon at the downtown YMCA (SCM) coached by P. Bettis.

Warmup
    300 free
    200 IM drill (2-1-2 fly, 6 kick and roll back, 2 second glide breast, fingertip drag free)

3x50 build meet stroke on 1:05 - I did fly, back, breast
    3x50 build free on :55

3 times through:
    75 free on 1:40
    75 free on 1:30
    75 free on 1:25
    (I should have pushed these harder, but I think I'm coming down with a cold and I just didn't feel quite right. So, I worked on a good, high elbow catch and strong turns and I held pretty consisten 1:15s I think).
    25 easy free

400 kick - every 4th length sprint kick
    (I decided that I would hide my fins in the bottom of my closet and learn how to kick. I actually made it and only got lapped once!)

2x125 free on 2:20 - Went around 1:50
    4x25 free on :30 - Went :25s
    2x100 free on 1:55 - Went 1:37 and 1:33
    4x25 free on :35 easy cooldown

2550 meters
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Wed, 2/4/09

by , February 4th, 2009 at 12:29 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warmup:
    400 swim
    (alt 100 free/100 back)
    300 IM drill
    200 pull choice
    100 kick no board
    (alt dolphin/flutter by 25)

6x150 with 15 sec. rest: first 2 swim, next 2 kick, next 2 pull; the second of each type should be faster than the first.
    (did these all back - 2:20-2:15 on swim, 2:55-2:50, kick, did pull with p&b not sure of times)

8 x 75 on 1:20: descend 1-4, 5-8; #4, 8, should be all out.
    did 1-4 free - 1:05->:54, 5-8 back - 1:12->1:01

50 easy

swim 12 x25 on 30: #4, 8, swim last 4 nice and easy as a swim down
    (alt free/fly did fast ones fly)

Total: 2850

45 minute spin class during my lunch hour. This was a hard one.....left me a bit wobbly in the legs

Updated February 5th, 2009 at 12:21 AM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Getting back into shape - 02/03

500 w/u

4 x 100 IM drill r:15

5 x 100 r:10 for time

100 EZ

4 x (150 fr @ 2:15, 100 IM/Stroke @ 1:40, 50 kick no board @ 1:10)

50 EZ

2 x 50 sprint (it was supposed to be 5 done as a 1000 yard relay with 3 teammates but my calf cramped something fierce during #2)

150 c/d

My arms were hurtin' after this one. This is the first time I put two good workouts back to back in months - at least since October but I suspect it might have been July.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Wednesday 2/4 - Easying up a bit

by , February 4th, 2009 at 08:34 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Felt ok, left shoulder still bugging me a bit. Did not seem to have any energy today so just took everything kind of easy. Kicking was more back to normal SLOW.

5x100 @ 1:55 Free
    8x50 @ :55 Free with paddles and bouy
    5x100 @ 1:55 4 Free, 1 IM
    8x50 @ 1:05 Free 1/2 pull 1/2 kick
    5x100 @ 1:55 1 IM, 3 Free, 1 IM
    8x50 @ 1:20 Free kick
    8x25 @ 1:00 alt Fly/Free with fins FAST
    100 EZ
    500 Warm down

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Omnes Vloggia in Tres Partes Divisa Est!

by , February 4th, 2009 at 12:32 AM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Omnes Vlogia in Tres Partes Divisa Est

Or, as Caesar himself might have described today’s practice:

Veni to the pool, Vidi how hot and disgusting the water was, and Vici despite myself

Part. 1. Bill

This morning, I received a couple emails from my best swimming friend in the world, Mr. Bill White, father of Liam White, who at age 8 handles all my more complicated technology installations and software problems. Bill handles the easier snafus. Bill is also the father of Ciara, the cutest little girl in all the world. When I was going through a particularly stubborn bout of depression a while back, the application of Ciara to my head like a tablet of skin-leeching ketamine was as close as I could come to feeling like my old self.

Bill White, best friend, and Ciara White, human antidepressant tablet

Liam White, Boy Genius

One of Bill’s emails described the removal of a kidney for transplantation purposes through a woman’s vagina. He suggested that I might consider having part of my liver removed through my anus and writing about this for Men’s Health magazine, my employer, for at least the myopically foreseeable future. I thought perhaps I should instead specialize in removing transplantable tissues through women’s vaginas, that I thought perhaps I would be better at this. Bill suggested that I could tell them I have a special surgical trochar that is particularly effective at such removal. I replied that I do indeed have such an instrument. And just as oilmen remove petroleum from deep in the earth by paradoxically pumping stuff in, so does my trochar work on this same pumping in to remove pay dirt out principle.

But this is off the subject of today’s vlog. I just thought perhaps some of my readers might enjoy a bit of romantic whimsy, seeing as Valentine’s Day, aka, VD, is not that far in the future.

Bill’s other email was, however, to prove the subject of today’s vlog. (Sorry for yet another momentary digression here, but I am using the word “vlog” of late interchangeably with the word “blog.” It is true there is not official video accompanying today’s post. However, I am hoping that I might be able to paint a video with my words that the reader can run through his or her own cranial VCR apparatus.

Example: Imagine Jessica Alba laying herself upon my chaise longe and announcing, as she removes her backless hospital gown, “Okay, Dr. Thornton. I am ready to have my kidney extracted by this novel means of yours.” Now imagine a couple lovely nurse-fluffers bustling around me, unbuckling my belt, and so forth. I say: “Trochar! Stat!” And within a minute or two, the nurses have the instrument ready and glisteningly sterile for the procedure.

"I'm ready for the procedure, Dr. Thornton!"

Here is a link to Bill’s other email, i.e., the one actually relevant to today's vlog. It is a press release entitled:

"New Study Reveals Swimming Can Cut Men's Risk of Dying in Half:
    Research shows swimming may be the prescription for longevity."

http://www.nspf.org/Documents/Press_...s/PR_Blair.pdf

The good news here is that guys like me, at least if you believe research conducted and supported by the National Swimming Pool Foundation, and there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t believe such research, anyhow, the good news is that guys like me don’t have to die young, and in fact, we will be around for a very, very long time hoping to shove our trochars in to remove young women’s kidneys whenever the need for donor tissue arises. (And the way we old coots drive our Cadillacs, god knows there will be plenty of need for donor tissues!)

Part 2. Ronald Gainsford, Redux

Last night’s practice was incredibly grueling. I managed to finish it, come home, get in bed, read this awful book about a woman serial killer, a book that I tell myself during daylight I am not going to finish, but when night time comes around and natural grogginess is turbocharged by the Sandman’s imminent visitation, and I am too doltish to think of anything besides impossible evil vs. improbable good, I find myself turning once again to the bosom of this woman serial killer.

Where was I?

Oh, so I get up, waste a lot of time, think I have made progress, check, realize that progress was an illusion, send a friend of sort a couple quotes from Marcus Aurelius, and call it a day.

Mr. M. Aurelius of Rome

Then I go to the Y for a restorative super slow Tai Chi swim to keep massive adhesions from cementing my few remaining muscle fibers into the deltoid equivalent of lock jaw.

On the way, I stop at our mailbox and retrieve an oversized manila envelope from Ronald Gainsford, the fellow regular vlog readers will recall is a 79-year-old heart transplant recipient and incredibly accomplished swimmer who was one of the top 5 butterfroggers in the early 1950s, when “breaststroke” consisted of fly arms and breast kicks.

When I got to the Y, Ronald was there, as always, swimming a practice. He told me he has been gradually upping his effort to get ready for Worlds when he turns 80. He said that the hard thing was that he works his ass off in the pool to get stronger, then he has to go home and take all this antirejection medicine that makes him physically weaker. If there exists a more admirable Sisyphus swimming on Planet Earth today, I have yet to meet him.

When I got home, I scanned in Ronald’s letter and pre-Steeler game picture, complete with overhanging icicles. For what it’s worth, Ronald told me that he could not watch the last 10 minutes of the Superbowl because his heart could not take it. He kept his head down during the actual plays, and only watched them on replay.

Here’s Ronald’s latest note. I think this is the best evidence of all that the research Bill sent me was, in fact, valid.

Part 3. Dysthymia.

I have been sinking ever so slightly of late into a pit of despair, not sure exactly why, but the collapse of the global economy in general, and my economy in specific, might play a slight role. On this note, I shall now quickly paste in the two quotes from stoical philosopher, Marcus Aurelius, that I sent earlier to my Facebook friend. If these provide you any solace or succor, I am glad to have done so.

1. Time is a river, and a violent stream. For as soon as a thing is seen, it is carried away and another takes its place. And this will be carried away too.

2. Never surpass the sense of your original impressions. Perhaps they tell you that a certain person speaks ill of you. That was their sole message; they did not go on to say that you have been harmed by him. Perhaps I see my child suffers illness; my eyes tell me so but do not tell me his life is in danger. Always keep to your original impressions; add no interpretation of your own and you remain safe. Or at the most add a recognition of the great world order by means of which all things come to pass.

Epilogue:

Special thanks to A) Mr. Onefish, whose kind comment about my vlog inspired me to postpone the female serial killer’s shenanigans for a little bit tonight and write this instead, and B) all you lovely young women out there in Swimmingville who have begun the not-easy but still-right decision to donate one of your kidneys to needy children, and to let me extract this kidney through your vagina, despite the fact that the procedure I will be trying has yet to receive FDA approval.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. I'm looking at myself, reflections of my mind.

by , February 3rd, 2009 at 10:45 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    It's just the kind of day to leave it all behind.
    It's Tuesday afternoon and the snow is falling at a blizzard pace. Tonight's NASTI'S practice has been cancelled. I am going to another pilates work-out and that's probably gonna be it. The good thing is that I'll have a really good practice tomorrow.
    Peace to all,

Bobinator

lyrics by Justin Hayward, The Moody Blues
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Parachute pants!

by , February 3rd, 2009 at 06:53 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well not quite but I forgot my Jammer today and had to go in wearing my baggies!
    IT was a good workout as I did some hard kicking but boy oh boy it left me gasping for breath.

50 BR EZ
    3 x 50 FR EZ
    12 x 25 K 1:00 No fins did them thusly:
    FFFFMMFFMMFF (F= fast M = moderate)
    3 x 100 FLY K w/Fins 20 RI. I did these slow and focused on the hip thrust forward and I felt it in my abs. It's almost is a hybrid kicking/core drill for BR and FLY

2 x 100 FR Snorkel and fins
    2 x 100 FR Snorkel, paddles and fins
    50 FR Paddles and fins!
    I did these swim drills focusing on rotation and a still head.

After work I did 40 mins on the elliptical at HR > 146...sweated like a pig!
    4 x 20 slow squat thrusts on the yoga ball. PAIN!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Tuesday, Feb. 3

by , February 3rd, 2009 at 05:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    100 fly drills

20 x 25 UW shooters w/MF
    4 belly, 4 left, 4 right, 4 back, 4 fly spin drill

50 EZ

Speed Work:

8 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 easy)

100 EZ

50 back AFAP from the blocks, 31ish (?)

(Did this for Ande. However, it is just useless to try to time a 50 back from the blocks from that end of the pool. The pace clock (for some odd reason) is down at the shallow end where the noodlers swim on the same wall. I really can't see the time from that angle. So this is a rough guess. I prefer swimming from the other end where I can see the clock on the opposite wall perfectly.)

175 EZ

50 fly AFAP w/fins, 25

200 EZ

4 x (25 free AFAP + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 2650

Wanted to do more recovery swimming between the sprints and more of a warm down, but I was too busy this am and couldn't get to the pool earlier.

Jim Thornton expressed shock that I was starting to taper NOW. *gasp* I guess he has not been following the the taper advice thread. I fear the winter doldrums are interfering with him reading anything but his own blog comments.

I can't decide whether to take tomorrow off or not ... Several gurus have said I should take more days off than usual. Was thinking of taking the whole weekend off. Undecided. Rather unusual. lol

Here's a nice set from Dave Salo, that was passed on to me when I asked about it. Another one I'd like to do after taper:

Salo Set:
    5a/4ei/3r x 100 Kick w/ Fins @ 2:00 - descend 1-4
    8 x 25 Kick/Swim w/ Fins @ :35 – Full speed kick to 15m & breakout into swimming
    5ae/4i/3r x 100 pull with small paddles @ 1:40 - descend 1-4
    8 x 25 pull @ :35 with large paddles - full speed
    5ae/4r/3r x 100 swim @ 1:30 descend 1-4
    8 x 25 swim @ :35 full speed
    5ae/4i/3r x 100 Paddles+fins @ 1:20 descend 1-4
    8 x 25 paddles+fins full speed @ :35
    easy 200
    Total Distance
    a = advanced = 3,400
    e = experienced = 3,300
    i = intermediate = 3,000
    r = rookie = 2,600

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 11:22 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Tuesday, 2/3/09

by , February 3rd, 2009 at 02:26 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warmup:
    1 x 300 swim, did free and back
    2 x 150 pull, RI :15
    3 x 100 kick w/10 sec., kicked on back alternating 25 flutter/25 dolphin
    6 x 50 on 1:00 alt. drill/swim by 25
    (1200)

Main
    2 x 150 pull on 2:30 desc. (went 2:00-1:55)
    8 x 50 on 55 RI :10, drill/long stroke by 25
    4 x 75 on 1:45 25 drill, 50 swim (IM order)
    4 x 25 on 30 build to fast finish, odds - free, evens - back
    4 x 100 kick 2:05) smooth (flutter kick on back with at least 5SDK off each wall - ave 1:53-55)
    6 x 50 on 1:00 alt. drill/swim (the swim should be at 75-80%), 1-2,5-6 free; 3-4 back

Cool down
    100 easy free

Total: 3100 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Tue Feb 3rd 2009

by , February 3rd, 2009 at 12:11 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue Feb 3rd 2009

Jason Lezak's approach to weight training
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jasonlezak1.htm

short cut to Ande's Swimming Blog
    http://TinyURL.com/AndeSwim

NEXT MEET: USA Swimming Austin Grand Prix Austin TX
    Thursday March 5 - Saturday March 7, 2009
    30 days away
    Meet format: Short Course AM, Long Course PM
    http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquatics/meets
    http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquati...fo_1-16-09.pdf
    entered the following events
    #05 100 Butterfly 52.63
    #08 200 IM 2:00.32
    #18 100 Backstroke 54.05
    #24 200 Backstroke 2:21.04
    #26 100 Freestyle 48.85

NEXT MEET:
    2009 South Central Zone USMS Championships
    March 27 to 29, 2009
    http://www.southtexasmastersswimming...%20Masters.pdf

WEIGHTS
    bench 10 x 135 6 x 185 6 x 185
    lat press 8 x 40 8 x 45 8 x 50 which is similar to Straight Arm Pull Downs, each hand is holding a pulley
    lat pull 8 x 167 8 x 197 5 x 207
    leg press 10 x 180 8 x 270 8 x 270

TODAYS PRACTICE
    6:30 - 8:00
    whitney coached
    scy TSC main pool
    swam with nate mike Larry max
    beside paul, amy tyler, todd ned doug meg sally & michael lovato

warm up
    300 k

50 strong
    went 24

main set
    50 drop down set
    started at 1:00
    interval drops by 1 sec on each repeat
    took 5 SDKs on 50's till I got into the low 40's
    made it to 30

100 easy
    200 IM 25 dr 25 sw
    assiged 300
    did 3 x 50
    assigned 400
    did 4 x 50

10 x 50 free FAST on :50
    from a dive (that was a lot of climbing out of the pool, pretty exhausting)
    instruction was to hold pace you dropped down to or faster
    held 27's

50 SDK fast
    WENT FROM A GO start off the SIDE
    whitney timed
    wore FS PRO legs
    went 24.4

50 easy

Updated February 3rd, 2009 at 04:15 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  18. Attempting to get back into shape - Monday Feb 2

200 w/u

10 x 50
    odds drill :50
    evens swim :40

4 x (200 free @ 3:10, 2 x 50K @ 1:00, 50 ez @ 1:00, 2 x 50 fast @ 1:10)

50 EZ

50 sprint
    4 x 25 sprint (did two fly and one back)

300 c/d

I actually swam 3000 yards - first time in a long time - perhaps since July but definitely since November ... back was okay ... there's still hope!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Tuesday 2/3 - WOW what happened

by , February 3rd, 2009 at 08:35 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Did not feel particularly good today but my kicking floored me. This from a non kicking distance swimmer. If only my arms would recover like my legs.

1000 Free as broken 2x1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,1 on :10 Rest
    3x{4x50 @ 1:15 Free Desc 1-4
    ....{100 free kick Fast
    round 1 went 47,45,42,39, 2:12
    round 2 went 45,44,41,38, 1:59
    round 3 went 45,43,40,38, 1:55
    for me the 2:12 was pushing it breaking 2 minutes, twice, floored me
    100 EZ
    5x100 @ 2:00 Kick free with fins on side alternate sides
    400 IM Drill
    100 EZ

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Workout (2/2)

by , February 2nd, 2009 at 11:02 PM (Time-Crunched Swimmer)
    Swam during a.m. practice with the h.s. boys team.

12 x 75's 1:45
    Mix of swim, drills (short-axis), kick, etc.

100 easy

1000 yards

Did not get to swim a lot because I was watching the kids do their sets.
    Categories
    Uncategorized