View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Wednesday, Dec. 10

by , December 10th, 2008 at 10:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Just went for a quicky 3 mile run today. Then spent the rest of the day xmas shopping -- and I hate shopping in malls -- and being rather agitated over a swimming issue. Hope it goes away. Going to swim tomorrow for sure.

Updated December 11th, 2008 at 08:24 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Wednesday 12/10/08

by , December 10th, 2008 at 12:50 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Back at the hotel pool
    Solo (for those who have been asking this pool is about 41' long so I've been calling 2 laps 25 meters)

Warmup
    50 kick w/board. this was mainly to establish my territory so the "floaters" would hopefully notice and stay out of my way.

200 free
    200 back

8 x 50 flutter kick on back on 1:15

8 x 50 free on 1:00

10 x 25 fast kick on back on 1:00 1-5 flutter, 6-10 dolphin

8 x 50 as odds back fast and evens 50 free easy, on 3:00 for each 2

100 easy swim

2000 meters

Updated January 1st, 2009 at 11:25 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Wednesday -12/10 (head cold maniac)

by , December 10th, 2008 at 07:58 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My head was completely stopped up and swimming was going to be difficult but I eeked out another freestyle workout.

warmup
    5x200 @ :10 rest #1 Swim #2 Pull #3 Swim #4 Kick #5 Swim

Pace sets
    10x50 @ 1:15 Free hold 40's went :44, :42, :41, :41, :40, :39, :39, :38, :38, :39
    5x200 @ 3:30 Free pull w/paddles & bouy held 2:49, 2:49, 2:49, 2:45, 2:42
    500 kick with fins on back alternate fly/free
    10x50 @ 1:05 Free hold 40's went :39, :39, :38, :38, :38, :37, :38, :38, :38, :36
    Warm down
    200 EZ

Considering my head felt like I would explode at times this was not a bad workout at all. But it is slightly modified from what was originally written. I call that coaches perogative.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Tuesday, Dec. 9

by , December 9th, 2008 at 05:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    60 minute spin class.
    (Definitely didn't work too hard. Just got some cardio in.)

20-25 minutes of RC and core work

Recovery swim in the hot 25 meter gym pool:

700 warm up
    10 x 100 on 1:50, alternate back and backstroke kick, pretty slo mo
    400 IM drill
    hottub

Total: 2100 meters

Still tired and sore. It seems, just in the last couple years, that it take me longer to recover from meets. I've been very tired after both the Sprint Classic and this meet even though I only swam one day. If the last meet is any indication, I'll probably feel better by Thursday or so. Sheesh!

Updated December 9th, 2008 at 10:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Speed suit withdrawal

by , December 9th, 2008 at 11:21 AM (My non-workout blog and random thoughts)
    Swam in the Holiday Invite at Long Beach this weekend. The meet is very well organized and well run. I highly recommend it to anyone that want to swim in a short course meter meet. It was very exciting to try some new technology (B70 and Xterra).
    These suits (B70 and Xterra) really have some Zing! My stroke count was lower and the pushoff distance was longer - plus, when you surface, you literally pop up out of the water. They increase bouyancy!

Back in the pool this morning with no speed suit! Major drag - pun intended.

I'm back to wearing the old green baggie drag suit - much more comfortable and much more slower. It takes more strokes to swim a length and push off distances are much shorter.

So it's a kind of withdrawal to swim in the old green monster - but it is good to be back home.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. B70 versus XTerra - My experience

by , December 9th, 2008 at 11:00 AM (My non-workout blog and random thoughts)
    Swam at the Long Beach meet this weekend and had some decent swims. I used both the Xterra and B70 for different races.

Had a life time personal best (50 back) in the B70 (age group record at the top end of the age group). But, the suit has unraveled after a few swims (26, 5'8", 175). The elastic around the neck is exposed! I'll post a picture on my blog.

If there is a B70 rep reading this, do you have an exchange policy? You might learn something about quality control by doing a failure analysis; e.g., where to reinforce seams, etc.

My M-size Xterra, apparently made of the same material, did not fit correctly. I purchased a knee or farmer john suit. I expected that the band around the knee would be reinforced by elastic. Instead, it was loose and not snug. I don't think it would provide the desired effect of minimizing laminar turbulence. I noticed that other male swimmers also had the same issue with their suit.

I also found that the Xterra felt like it let water into the suit during the maximum velocity portions of the race - at the start and after the turns. I felt water rushing into the suit and it felt like it "gushed" all the way down from neck to knee - a cool wave of water. This may or may not have had a physical effect, but it clearly broke my concentration. I did not have the same issue with the B70.

Question: why do these suits have to be so tight?
    I hypothesize that the suits have two effects: 1) minimizing laminar flow resistance and 2) increasing buoyancy (my subjective opinion and mentioned in other forum posts).

If the hypothesis is true, I believe that the optimum suit would be snug or tight enough to minimize laminar flow (and prevent water intake) while not leaving welts and constricting inhalation. Also, maximizing the amount of material should increase subjective buoyancy.

I also hypothesize that the recommended suit size (extra-tight) places undue stress on the seams of the suits and reduces the expected life of the suit. After examining the rubber coating of both the Xterra and B70, I believe that the material may be more resilient than lycra, but unfortunately, we as consumers, have no independent testing capability and have to rely on ancedotal forum reports.

Personally, I like these suits. I would like them to last longer and I believe that if they could be better designed that they would capture a greater share of the market.

How many suits can be worn in competition? There were unsubstantiated rumours of record setting performances attained through the use of multiple suits. I suppose that anyone that could physically wear more than one of these extra tight suits deserves some kind of award, but if the buoyancy hypothesis is correct, the use of multiple suits poses ethical if not legal questions.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Tuesday 12/9 (last minute workout change)

by , December 9th, 2008 at 07:53 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I guess that is the advantage of being your own coach you can change the workout when you feel like it. Since yesterday my shoulder started acting up I decided to scrap the fly workout I had planned in favor of a distance freestyle workout.

Warmup
    10x100 @ 1:40 free started at 1:35 and dropped to 1:25 I always start out slow and get faster

1650 as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 laps with 10 seconds rest with paddles and bouy when you subtract the :10 rest intervals final time was 23:05

10x50 @ 1:15 kick free #3,6,9 FAST 1:03, :58 and :56 which for a non kicker is good

warm down
    350 choice EZ

Total 3500 yards

Felt great on this workout today hit pace and was able to hold pretty well. I guess I will try again tomorrow to do the fly workout if my left shoulder is feeling up to it.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Monday, December 8

by , December 8th, 2008 at 10:48 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Out of taper hell!

Although I feel like a mac truck ran over me ... Always do after meets. I have no idea how some people swim multiple meets in a month or even two weekends in a row. I need recovery time! Plus, I seem to be following Patrick Brundage's "remixed" regimen of wine and more junk food. lol

Went on a 5 mile trail run even though it is freezing cold here. Since I hadn't run in 2 weeks, it felt great and I was really happy to be outside!

With respect to Zones, my coach emailed me and told me to grow out my fingernails for the Albatross meet. Had a laugh and thought of Ande. Last time I had fingernails, I put a huge rip in a new Pro at the NE Champs and was stuck wearing a very old Pro and FS I. So not too inclined to do that again! I know the B70s are more durable. But, still, I know a fast chick who shredded her B70 at LC Zones with fingernails.

SwimStud youtubed my 50 fly time trial from on deck. Here it is, horrific start and all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Wb_-kSFPs

Updated December 9th, 2008 at 08:26 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Still Trying

by , December 8th, 2008 at 02:51 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Hotel Pool with Carrie

300 warmup swim (Carrie went 400)
    200 kick with board
    200 drills

10 x 50 fast with about 1:00 rest after each
    Alternated free and back.

200 easy kick and swim to cool

Total: 1400 meters

Spin class at noon today
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Meet Results: 2008 SPMA Regional SCM Championships

by , December 8th, 2008 at 11:30 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Monday December 8th, 2008

think I'll be a dual blogger here &
    http://andesswimmingblog.blogspot.com

MEET RESULTS from the

2008 SPMA Regional Short Course Meters Championships on
    Saturday, December 6th & Sunday 7th, 2008 in
    Long Beach, CA
    http://web1.lbgrunions.com/Meets/2008SCMC

Entries:
    Saturday
    11:15 # 07 50 M Butterfly 00:26.46
    12:38 # 10 100 M Backstroke 00:59.10
    04:55 PM# 19 200 M Individual Medley 02:19.99
    Sunday
    11:43 # 24 100 Butterfly
    12:27 # 26 50 M Breaststroke 00:31.99
    02:04 # 29 200 Backstroke 02:19.99
    03:15 # 31 100 Freestyle
    * originally planned to swim the 50 bk & 100 IM
    but my plane was leaving at 6:30
    so I dropped out of them and added the 100 fly & 200 back where I planned to go for a 50 bk time

First of all this was a very well run meet
    kudos to all the great grunion volunteers who pulled if off

Races and Comments

wore a blue seventy nero comp in all my races

50 fl
    went 25.99
    last year I was 26.15
    this year I went 26.30
    nailed the touch, knew I was going to hit it right at the flags
    struggled through the turn
    took more SDKs
    Still need to work on belly SDKs, take more off each wall, probably 10 off the start and 10 off the turn
    didn't drop my fly & free times as much as my back times

100 bk 58.89
    28.66 30.23
    went 1:00.90 last year
    went 59.10 at AZ
    tried to go out more relaxed and bring it home better

200 im
    2:14.16
    been eyeing Glenn Mills NR not sure if it's a WR because he did the time at the 2008 Gay Games
    Glenn split his race
    1 29.05 29.05 2 1:04.60 35.55 3 1:42.00 37.40 4 2:13.42 31.42
    so my plan was
    Fly easy speed save legs breathe
    Back easy speed save legs breathe
    breast work it, sprint, great form
    free work it sprint SDK off turns

went 29.10 34.93 38.82 31.31 for a
    2:14.16
    which might have broke the WR
    if Mills swim doesn't count
    we'll see,
    in 2004 I went 2:15.0
    Think I could have gone faster if I'd swum it first or been a bit more aggressive on the front end, pretty much dragged my legs on the fly and cruised the back, held back on SDKs in favor of AIR

should have kept my kick going better on the last length of the FR

Sunday

100 fly
    skipped it
    was at this meet to try to break the WR in the 50 bk, thought the 100 fly would tire me too much

50 br
    went 31.49
    ran a few erronds Sunday morning,
    showed up at the pool thinking I had plenty of time, women's 50 BR was on the block and I was in the last heat of mens 50 breast
    warmed up in my B70
    don't remember much about the race other than I felt uncoordinated and really need to fine tune my breastroke technique to go faster
    Dave Guthrie went 30.2
    Jeff Commings went 28.0

200 bk
    went for 50 bk split
    went 27.20 and broke Clay's 27.24 WR
    Finally got it before Chris Stevenson comes along to obliterate it
    made some race mistakes
    was too deep 10 kicks off the start and had to sharply angle up to surface
    didn't go deep enough on my turn and make a fountain with my first kick then was able to go deeper
    went 2:39 in my 200 bk got 2nd in my age group

100 fr
    went 54.5
    25.8 28.7
    legs on the 3rd and 4th length
    hurt super bad
    should have gone out easier and back halfed it

really wanted to swim the
    100 IM but ran out of time and had to go home

NEWS FLASH
    Jeff Commings wore a blue seventy in his races made huge time improvements,
    he's come over to the dark side.

saw many wonderful people at the meet:
    Jim Clemmons, Allen Stark, Erik Hochstein, Rich Abrahams, Philipp Djang, Al Jaegers, Bob Strand, and Sherri Hart (sorry if I left you out)

this was a fun meet at a fast beautiful pool right on the beach

Roomed with David Guthrie

he filmed of my several races which I hope to post on youtube soon

didn't sleep well each night
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. December 8, 2008

by , December 8th, 2008 at 11:18 AM (Mike's Rocky Mountain Blog)
    Warmup:

600 Free

3 X (1 X 125 FR @ 1:50/1 X 75 Drill @ 1:10)
    Drop 125 interval by .05 on each swim

3 X (200 FR @ 2:30/50 Drill @ :55)
    3 X (150 Kick w/fins @ 2:00/50 Drill @ :55)
    3 X 100 BR @ 1:30/50 Drill @ :55)

5 X 50 FR Ascending @ :55

Total: 3300
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. December 7, 2008

by , December 8th, 2008 at 11:05 AM (Mike's Rocky Mountain Blog)
    Warmup
    250 Swim/250 Pull

10 X 100 IM @ 2:00
    Held 1:17-1:20

200 Warm down

Total: 1700

Wieghts:

3 X 10
    Leg press
    Leg extensions
    Leg curls
    Leg adductors
    Leg abductors
    Cable flys
    Lateral raises
    Pull ups
    Bicep curls (barbell close grip)
    Bicep curls (dumbell
    Tricep extensions

Updated December 8th, 2008 at 11:21 AM by alphadog

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Monday 12/8 - IM day

by , December 8th, 2008 at 07:40 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    What a workout today, can barely lift my arms. My fly felt like it was falling apart today, no where near like I felt Saturday

Warmup
    5x200 @ 3:30 alternate Free/IM
    2x[4x25 @ :40 Fly Desc. 1-4 did ok here but not great best was :23 which for me stinks
    ...[4x50 @ :55 fl/bk, bk/br, fl/bk, bk/br
    ...[4x100 @ 2:00 IM Fast round 1 held 1:36-7, round 2 held 1:40
    ...[2x200 @ 4:00 MI (backwards IM) with paddles

warm down
    500 with paddles
    300 kick with fins

Total 4000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. SCM Zones Results

by , December 7th, 2008 at 10:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Went better than I thought it would! Drove up Saturday afternoon. Arrived at Rutgers around 5:00. Just in time to see Michael Ross' 200 free and Chris Stevenson's 200 back. Seriously sick fast swims! Also got to see some fast 200 backs from forumites SwimmieAvsFan and Julie Oplinger. Met Patrick Brundage -- super guy and he had a fabulous meet. Met Tom Patterson too, and he was burning up the water with a zillion events and PBs as well.

Had dinner and beers with the PV/VA/CONN gang. Tried to sleep. Hit the pool on Sunday -- nice facility! Love to go there again. I definitely preferred it to BU where I swam NE SCM Champs last year. Got up early because the timeline didn't show a warm up after the 400 IM, and then they had a 30 minute one ... Hmmm ... At least it gave me an opportunity to hop in the competition pool and do some freestyle turns on the bulkhead where the T was pretty far away.

Still felt like crap. Tired and groggy. This is maybe the worst I've felt before a meet. I had tried to ignore this feeling all week pretty successfully (after being told several times that when you feel like crap you nonetheless swim fast), but was in a major paranoid mood this morning. Thankfully, I got over it and, as Jim Thornton said, I don't have to swim in the Infirmary Olympics.

Event #1, 50 free, 28.56
    (previous best was 28.7 from last Dec.; swam a 29.2 last March)

Felt awful, probably hadn't sprinted enough in warm up. This was definitely a "getting the cobwebs out" swim. Got a calf cramp on the turn and couldn't kick as much. Just didn't have my super duper sprint groove. But I'm glad 50 free was first since I didn't care about that as much as my other two events. And I'll definitely take the time!! Just think I coulda gone a couple tenths faster if it wasn't an AM swim and wasn't my first event. However, I must admit that, after this event, I was thinking that I would never rest/taper again. lol. Still felt like crap and was thinking I over-rested. I was wrong.

Event #2, 100 fly, No Swim! lol

Only had about 20 minutes after the 50 free, which I had already sandbagged. In my then state of mind, there was no way I was stepping up on the blocks for 4 lengths of fly with such short rest. Arranged for a 50 fly time time trial after the relays instead. Had about an hour to rest before my next event.

Event #3, 100 IM, 1:11.8

My previous best in a Pro was a 1:15.2 -- so this was a huge improvement. I was super happy. Think it was a much faster swim than Austin, where I swam a 1:06.8 in SCY. Splits were impeccable as usual -- 32.5 (and this was easy speed only) and 39.3. Hahaha. Glided into the turn big time from breast to free. Chris S. said I need to get a real back to breast turn as well. I've only done the flip once, and it wasn't a huge success, so haven't worked on it at all in a year. Maybe something for the to do list. This is definitely my best 100 IM ever, so might be worth focusing on. I didn't stay under water SDK-ing nearly as long as I did in Austin, so I probably had more oxygen.

Event #4, 50 fly time trial, 29.99, Missed tieing the WR by .01

World record (KPN) was 29.98. The last time I swam the 50 fly in SCM was in June with a B70 and I went 30.7. And I was really happy with that time, as it was an improvement on the 31.3 I swam last December. Thought I had no real shot at the record, but wanted to see if I could improve on my prior time some. Wow, I was shocked to get so close. Especially since I didn't have much rest after the 100 IM. So I was thrilled! Swim Stud video'd the race -- plenty of power and speed and absolutely sucky starts and turns. Poor breakout and a bit of glide into the turn. Wolf Girl would have been cluck clucking. (Yes, I see on FB he already said my start "blew".) No matter! My fly and back seem to really be rockin' lately. Now if this time doesn't give fins a good name, I can't think what else will!!

(Edit: Since my fly time converts to a 26+, I think that is a lifetime best. First ever as a master!)

And now, of course, I wish I had had a crack at improving my 50 (31.7) and 100 (1:11.7) backstroke times from IGLA. But a girl/mommy can't have everything. Unfortunately, I heard that FINA is still not recognizing IGLA results. I feel sorry for the WR setters at that meet. I'm also bummed about my 50 back because the time I swam currently would be #3 on the FINA All Time Top Ten list, and it may not make it there.

Had lunch with the gang and drove straight to GMU to watch my kid swim in the finals at the Dolan meet. Avoided excess mommy guilt! Really happy with my 100 IM and 50 fly.

A friend asked me what I thought accounted for my improvements in fly over the last year. I'm not completely sure, BUT, I have been swimming 5x a week most of the year instead of 4x a week (although low yardage to be sure), have been kicking more the last year and have been lifting somewhat more the last year. I'm sure I have lots of improvement to do in the latter category still.

Updated December 9th, 2008 at 03:07 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Nothing

by , December 7th, 2008 at 06:32 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Saturday I did a 1 hour weights class (Body Pump) at Gold's Gym. It's getting a little easier but I'm still a bit sore in the quads today.

Today I got up and was going to go swim at the hotel pool but just couldn't get motivated enough to get out the door. Maybe tomorrow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Saturday - 12/6 (Fun Day)

by , December 6th, 2008 at 02:16 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today the place I usually swim at had a meet so I swam at the YMCA I coach at.

Sandra(age 10) and I swam a 2500 yard workout together. It was a relatively easy workout so I tried to use it as a sprint opportunity. Sandra picked out the workout for today from a batch of workouts I provided for her when she swims on her own.

10x50 @ 1:00 Free nice and long

3x[100 @ 2:30 IM held 1:30's
    [4x25 @ :45 Free Kick
    [2x50 @ 1:15 choice non free round 1 fly, 2 back, 3 breast

8x25 @ :45 drill did mostly fly drills - chest press, 1 arm, 3-3-3, breast 3 second pause
    200 free kick

5x100 @ 2:30 IM held 1:30 with the last in 1:24
    200 EZ free

Sandra kept up beautifully. I can't wait to see her swim her next meet. She is a real go getter and should have some fantastic time drops this year, provided we can keep the goggles on during the start. That is the focus for next week.

Some of the other swimmers were there working on their strokes with one of the guards who runs a Saturday stroke clinic. Today they worked on Fly.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Friday, Dec. 5

by , December 5th, 2008 at 02:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    800 warm up

4 x 25 easy speed fly, 25 EZ after each

200 easy

Total: 1200

Hit the hottub for 10 minutes and took a long hot shower to try to ease the muscle tightness across my back and shoulders. It's probably from all the tossing and turning, and probably why my fly feels like crap. No matter, I'm in a fabulous mood and refuse to dwell on it.

Also tried the Speedo Aqua V cap today. My goggles would barely stay on with it, it's so slippery. It also gave me an insta-headache. I'll have to bring excedrin to the meet if I use that thing ...

Spent the morning at the Tom Dolan meet. Only one masters swimmer there, but he schooled the young studs. Wally Dicks broke the national records in the Mens 45-49 50 and 100 breast, in 27.3 and 58.94. The 27.3 was his 50 split in the open 100. That's bookin'! We'll see how fast he is tonight. Edit: He swam a 58.55 tonight. Woot!

And, happily, my clutzy evilstroker swam well, making champ finals in her beloved evilstroke. It's seriously hard to believe she's my daughter with the state of my own evilstroke.

Driving to NJ tomorrow. Looked at the timeline. The 50 back isn't even until 4:00 and the 50 fly is at 5:30 .... I could easily have made it down in time to warm up and swim. Kinda disappointed about that. But I'll just hit the pool and cheer for friends before hitting the Harvest Moon Brewery where someone will be celebrating a birthday.

Updated December 5th, 2008 at 09:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Double today

by , December 5th, 2008 at 11:58 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Went to a 1 hour spinning class at the gym this morning. About 40 minutes actually on the bike, then some core work on the ball and floor.

Tonight will lift 12 oz. weights at the Stray Dog.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. December 5, 2008

by , December 5th, 2008 at 11:22 AM (Mike's Rocky Mountain Blog)
    600 Warmup

3 X 300s (100 9 Kicks/stroke, 100 6 K/S, 100 Swim) @ 5:00

Main Set:

3 X 100 BR @ 1:50
    600 Swim @ 9:00
    3 X 100 BR @ 1:40
    600 Swim @ 9:00
    3 X 100 BR @ 1:35 (1:25, 1:28, 1:25)

2 X 25 BR Sprint @ 2:00 between

15+
    15+

200 Warm down

Total 3850
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Friday 12/5 - Kick Day (not my strong suit)

by , December 5th, 2008 at 07:59 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today was kick day for me. I am still learning to kick more efficiently and stronger.

5x50 @ :55 Free
    200 @ 4:00 Free 1/2 Pull 1/2 Kick
    5x50 @ :55 Free with right paddle 4 kicks on the paddle hand
    3x100 @ 2:00 Free 1/2 pull 1/2 kick
    5x50 @ :55 Free with left paddle 4 kicks on the paddle hand
    8x50 @ 1:00 Free 1/2 pull 1/2 kick
    5x50 @ :55 Free use the kick instead of dragging legs like normal
    20x100 @ 1:45 Free with kick every 3rd IM first 1/2 with paddles second 1/2 without
    100 EZ

Total 4000 yards

Not a particularly strong day but on the 20x100 had to think about coordinating the pull and kick together once I took the paddles off. This is normally an issue for me and is why I chose this workout for today.
    Categories
    Uncategorized