View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. I don't think or want to ever lose that urgent...

desire to swim as fast as I can, however there comes the enevitable day when you are forced to take a look at your stroke technique. Whether it be injury, or your not getting any faster in the world's time even though it feels like you are in water, or your just plan tired at the moment. When all three of these collide at the same time something wonderful can happen.
    As I was warming up I was thinking about how I hadn't done anything to stretch out my poor wounded rotator cuff. What was I gonna do...I hate being flat on my stomach on the hard floor making tiny little repetitive movements. Suddenly it came to me. Hey, I am on my stomach in the water. Why not kick with my flippers gently and do the excercises in the water while I am swimming.
    Well, that's what I did. Raising my arms ever so slightly in the positions required on land.
    I was able to do a fair amount, not get bored, and get some yardage in. This slowed me down so I could think about what some one said to me. Maybe I was pulling my arm arcross the horizontal line of my body. Yes in fact, I had been doing that. So after,
    800 yard easy various strokes
    300 dolphin kick with fins underwater
    600 of experimenting with RC excercises
    I did
    10 X 25's on 30 sec.
    I had never done 25 sets before. This allowed me to stop focusing on getting through my flip turn and fighting my way back the second lap as 50's sets do. I then turn my focus to pulling my arm straight. I am not sure if my stroke is right but my arm didn't get that sharp pain. Unfortunately this threw my body rotation to being flat. All this time I was using my arm to pull and rotate my body sidways. It was doing the work. I now have to find a better way to roll my body for streamlining. Another thing to explore.

Updated March 3rd, 2009 at 03:41 PM by flippergirl (editing)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Tuesday 3/3 - back to back

by , March 3rd, 2009 at 07:52 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Yes it was a backstroke day today. My warmup felt slow and sluggish but that is becoming more the norm for me. Once I am warmed up I become a different swimmer. I guess as I age warmup will become more important.

5x200 @ 3:30 Free could not get under 3:05 for anything

8x25 @ :45 free kick every 3rd fast went 27, 26
    10x50 @ 1:00 Back with paddles 25 right arm/25 left arm

8x25 @ :45 free kick every other fast went 28,27,26,26
    5x100 @ 2:00 Back went 1:39, 1:41, 1:41, 1:40, 1:39

100 free kick EZ
    500 Free with paddles and bouy every 3rd lap back
    500 Free alternate 50 swim / 50 drill

200 free kick with fins EZ

Total 3700 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Mea Culpa

by , March 2nd, 2009 at 11:29 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    For those looking foward to seeing the comedic swim stylings of Jimby, especially as he thrashes about in the 200 freestyle relay--like a little water spider gone amuk!--and later in the 50 fly--a splashing dynamo of ineptitude!--I greatly apologize for the technical problems.

The film is made!

My co-record-breaking teammates and I--all 192 aging man years of us in our crepey skin and swimming suits!--have been suitably documented.

There is even a nice bit of cheesecake rewarding the viewer who can fight off motion sickness (the videographer is not that steady handed a shootist!) to the end!

Alas, YouTube is having trouble processing this 4 minute opus, and thus I will have to try again tomorrow.

Sorry.

I don't expect you to read this.

I certainly do not expect any of you who have read this to re-read this.

And I absolutely certainly do not expect any of you who have read this and re-read this to recommend it to your friends.

But we are living in strange times indeed.

Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Nothing.

Well, next to nothing.

An Oscar nomination for short film cinematography for my upcoming vlog, if YouTube ever finishes processing it, would surpise the mother ****ing ****ity **** **** bejeebers out of me.

Strange as our times have become, that would, I admit, surprise me.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Monday March 2, 2009

300 w/u

3 x 200 on 3:00
    50 ez

4 x (50 non-free (I did fly) on 1:00 2 x 50 kick on 1:00 75 free fast on 1:20)

50 ez

6x75
    1 on 1:15
    1 on 1:10
    1 on 1:05
    1 on 1:00
    1 on :55
    1 on :50

Missed the send off for the last one
    100 ez

10 x 25 from the middle of the pool on :45
    free, fly, back x 3 +1 extra fly

100 EZ
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Endurance Swim

by , March 2nd, 2009 at 10:18 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the pool this afternoon determined to begin my quest to regain endurance in the pool. Haven't done this type of workout much in the last three years, so a bit of an adjustment.

Warm-up: Reverse 400 I.M. (one-arm fly)
    4 x 25 build on :30

1 x 500 Pull on 7:00
    right into
    2 x 400 swim on 5:45
    right into
    3 x 300 on 4:30
    swim first 250 free, kick last 50
    right into (actually took an extra 30 seconds here to explain next set)
    4 x 200 on 3:00
    First 150 is free, last 50 is back
    right into
    5 x 100 kick with fins on 1:30

200 easy

Total: 4200 yards
    Average HR 159
    Time of workout: 1 hour, 5 minutes
    Calories supposedly burned: 1000

Water was a little warm, so I'm not surprised HR is a little up there. Still, according to heart rate testing I've had done, I supposedly stayed in my aerobic zone.

Updated March 6th, 2009 at 11:27 AM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Monday Evening, I'm Tired!

by , March 2nd, 2009 at 09:58 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I haven't blogged for a couple of days. I can't seem to get everything done. One more bad week, then it should get better.
    I missed my meet Saturday...I had a small family emergency I had to deal with so the meet went by the wayside. I did make it to the pool later and did my 1650 alone in a hot pool (86 degrees) My goal for the meet was 23:45. I ended up swimming 24:07 by myself. I rested 10 minutes by slowly kicking and floating on my back, had a bottle of water and a banana then did a 500 in 7:19. I think the meet would have been a good one for me.
    Here are the Sunday and Monday(solo) workouts:

Sunday/NASTI's Workout
    1) 500 freestyle Warm-up-building speed
    2)5 X (200 Free(4:00 int) 100 Free (2:00 int) and
    4x50 Free)
    3) 12 X 25 Free on :30 (some people were doing
    some hypoxic breathing, I just swam)
    4) 200 Backstroke/100 Breastroke cooldown
    3,500 yds.

Monday Solo Swim @ LA Fitness (the pool seemed a little cooler tonight)
    1) 1,500 smooth freestyle focusing on good turns
    2) 100 IM Easy Stroke/8 X 25 Fly on :40.
    3) 100 IM Smooth stroke/4 X 50 Back on 1:00
    4) 100 IM Faster / 2 X 100 Breast on 2:10
    5) 100 IM Sprint/ 10 X 50 Free on 1:00
    Was running late so no cool-down time.
    3.000 yds.

I am flying to Tampa/St. Pete on Friday to visit a couple of colleges with my youngest daughter.
    I have contacted St. Pete Master's at North Pool.
    I am going to swim with them Sun. and Mon. I will probably swim by myself Sat. at the pool. It will be nice to be outside. I don't know if they will be long course or short.
    I wish there was a meet to go to down there!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Mixin' it up

by , March 2nd, 2009 at 12:23 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, solo

300 swim free
    300 kick choice
    (did 100 flutter w/board then the rest on my back alternating dolphin/flutter by 25)
    300 pull back (with p&b)

swim the following straight through with no rest from one item to the next:
    3x50 fly on RI :15
    (went :47-:50-:50. used interval of 1:00-1:05-1:05)
    4x100 back on 1:40
    (1st one around 1:35, the rest at 1:30-31)
    3x50 breast on RI :10
    (swam these around :55)
    3x100 free on 1:30
    (kept these around 1:24-25)

2 min. rest

kick 3x50 fly on back w/10 sec. rest descend 1-3
    (these just kept getting slower. 1st one at 1:00 the 3rd was around 1:07)
    pull 4x75 back on 1:20, evens faster than the odds, evens at about 85%
    (used buoy only, went 1:08-1:03-1:05-1:00)
    pull 3x50 breast with a freestyle kick (no buoy) w/10 sec rest, concentrate on starting and finishing each pull in a streamline
    (it took me 1:00-05 for each of these)

12x25 on 30 in sets of 3: 1 smooth free with 6-8 fly kicks off the wall, 1 fast choice, 1 easy choice (on the fast ones did 1st 2 rounds back, last 2 rounds fly)

100 easy
    --
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Monday 3/2 - Toy Day

by , March 2nd, 2009 at 07:36 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    After having a great weekend at states, getting back in the pool was alittle tough this morning but I made it any way. I never realized how 2 days out of the pool effects me. This gives me something to think about Monday and Tuesday before Nationals when I am at Disney I need to swim somewhere.

10x100 @ 1:45 Free every 3rd IM

10x50 @ :55 Fly with fins
    200 fly kick with fins
    10x50 @ :55 Back with paddles and bouy
    200 back kick with fins
    10x50 @ 1:00 Breast with fins
    200 breast kick with fins
    5x100 @ 1:30 Free with paddles and bouy
    200 free kick with fins

Total 3800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Rotator Cuff Exercises

by , March 1st, 2009 at 09:57 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MMD5L7498&NR=1

If this doesn't work just type it in. I'll have to figure this out when I have more time.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Sunday Night Exertional Headache and Movie Premier

by , March 1st, 2009 at 08:20 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Just got back from the 3-burger bonanza (cooked by record-relay-settting teammate, Dan Nadler, former PA 50 yard YMCA state champion in the 14-15 age group, current member of today's 192 year old relay that swam a 1:37.+ in a five-lane pool) following our meet, and am too stuffed and too lacking in energy to do anything with today's meet footage.

This I will try to post very soon.

But before I pass out from a combination of exhaustion and food coma, let me quickly introduce the Sunday Night Movie Premier, which is a charming (and I really mean this, it is utterly and completely charming) story of a seal on the Ocean City, NJ beach.

Many of my swimming friends, including two who have spent many summers guarding the beach at Sea Isle City, NJ, and some beach close to Rehobeth, DE, respectively, have assured me:

There are not seals in these Atlantic waters!

I think they will readjust their attitudes after watching my twin brother's great new movie, which features a great, great swimmer who never shaves before she swims record breaking sprint and endurance events.

Enjoy!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCzNBOuriQA&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Ocean City Seal[/ame]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Team Practice + Weights, Sunday, March 1

by , March 1st, 2009 at 08:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Swim at GMU:

Warm up:

6 x 100 swim + 50 kick
    reverse 200 IM drill

Main sets:

5 x 300 IM

odd w/ 150 back @ 4:40
    evens w/ 150 breast @ 5:00

50 EZ

9 x 100 kick @ 2:00

3 kick free, descend 1-3
    100 easy swim
    3 kick choice, descend 1-3

50 EZ

6 x 75 @ 1:30
    50 free + 25 AFAP

6 x 25 UW shooters w/MF, did this w/teammate trying out a MF
    (For Jimby, MF = monofin)

200 C/D

Total: 4400

(didn't seem like I did quite this much, maybe I got some of the warm up wrong)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spent some time discussing tech suits during practice and in hot tub. One of my teammates was trying out his new B70 in the water. Another teammate was planning on ordering the Renegade from AquaZone, hopefully to wear it for the Albatross SCM Meet, as B70s are on back order until April.

http://aquazoneusa.com/store/product.php?productid=176

Kicking:

Spent some time discussing kicking with a teammate. She wondered why/how my kicking had improved recently. I was mulling this over this afternoon (Ahelee's active mediation, no doubt). Don't think it's weights, as I've rarely done lower body weights (until now, thanks guys). I'm wondering if the increased speed is due to: (a) kick endurance sets, (b) the fast kicking, (c) the combo of both, or (d) the benefits of all of the above are just becoming more evident with time ... I have done more kick endurance sets recently, I think. So hard to know the causation for everything.

(My coach very helpfully pointed out that she thought my actual swimming had improved relatively more than my kicking. Probably true.)

PM Weights:

Went with Mini-Fort to the gym, even though I was nauseous from that disgusting nasty Recover-Wrong from Hammer. Wanted to get weights in as school may be cancelled tomorrow due to snow. [Yes, it's cancelled.] We were running late, so I got out of yoga and just did weights. No sad face there! Left rear shoulder still a bit sore. Did mostly reps of 10 today. Like Jazz, didn't feel like wasting brain cells on counting. Only increased on a few things (deadlift, row, calf press).

deadlift, 110 x 2 x 10
    seated lat pulldown, 90 x 2 x 10
    leg extensions, 80 x 2 x 10
    leg abductors (on the machine where your legs are straight), 110 x 2 x 10
    leg adductors (hate these), 70 x 2 x 10
    calf press, 110 x 3 x 15, 130 x 3 x 15, 150 x 3 x 15 (realized I was doing these on a ridiculously low weight before, so went up)
    seated narrow grip row, 110 x 2 x 10
    goblet squats w/25 lb weight, 2 x 15
    bench press*, 80 x 2 x 15
    overhead tricep press, 30 x 2 x 15**
    alternating hammers, 20 x 2 x 15 each side (dunno why, these felt hard today)
    external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each side

* This is the first real bench press I've done since college. lol I know it's very low weight, but I'm paranoid as that's how I had the RC blow out. Can't remember what I used to bench in college ... Think I maxed out at 150 on the nautilus machine.

** Mini-Fort saw me doing these and was horrified! She ran over and said, "Mom, you're going to trash your shoulder doing that." I appreciated her concern, but assured her it was very low weight.

kneeling crunches, 85 x 2 x 10
    decline reverse crunches, 2 x 25
    crunches w/ med ball, 2 x 25
    incline crunches w/10 lb eight, 2 x 15

5-10 minutes stretching
    10 minutes hot tub

Weight Lifting Question:

Why can the weight on one machine be completely different than the weights on others? Tried to do a tricep press at the weight I used last Thursday -- didn't feel like the cable was even moving.

This is the link Jimby provided on Optimizing Strength Training:

http://www.humankinetics.com/product...=9780736060684

Updated March 2nd, 2009 at 10:38 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  12. Short 'n Sweet

by , March 1st, 2009 at 08:03 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Usually take Sundays off, but decided to get a real short workout in to start the week off well. Headed to the weight room and did the following:

2 mile run in just under 18 minutes: first mile at 9:31 pace, second mile at 8:13 pace.

1/4 mile easy jog/walk

Weights:

Lat pull-downs: 5 sets of 90 x 15
    Military press: 5 sets of 30 x 15
    Bicep curls: 5 sets of 10 x 15

Thoughts:

Have enjoyed somewhat of a break from regular swim workouts since the Auburn meet. Felt a little burned out after the meet and not sure whether I should be focusing on sprint events. I'm hoping to swim SCY Nationals in 2010 since it will only be a two hour drive away. Not sure what events I want to focus on for that meet, but am hoping to decide by June and take a year to seriously train for them.

In the meantime, for the next three months I am hoping to work on my endurance and take a break from power training. On my weights, I'm focusing on light weights and higher reps. I'm considering the possibility of doing sprint triathlons if I can get my running back. I'm a good bit off where I was six years ago as I was running 5ks at a 6:43/mile pace and 10ks at a 7:07/mile pace. Will see how things progess in the next month.

I'm hoping to return to more swim workouts this week, primarily working endurance and doing more mid-distance work. May do the Dynamo meet at the end of March and the Athens meet in early June. I imagine I'll still do the shorter events for fun as I do not have a base to take on the mid-distance events yet. Anyway, the next three months will be a matter of making up my mind as to what swim events I want to do in 2010.

Updated March 1st, 2009 at 08:24 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Mar 1 2009 - BEAR meet at San Pablo (rain)

by , March 1st, 2009 at 07:46 PM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    It was a rainy meet, yet still plenty of peep's showed up to swim. I didn't do very well, I swam well in my first split of the 100 FR, but just lost energy in the second split, I got a 1:02. Just one second faster, one second after all that extra training, daily dryland etc... I even scratched 3 events to do it. I thought I had checked in for the 50 FR, but as I was checking the lane position assignments, I noticed my name wasn't on the list, then I heard my name being called for the 50 FLY, oh well, next time I will just swim all the events I sign up for!
    My wife was in attendance , she was kinda cheering me on!
    Back to the workouts
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Sunday March 1st

by , March 1st, 2009 at 03:54 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    March roars in like a Lion...
    ...and gives me a back spasm.

Some combination of stomach cramps, over doing flexion and did not do any extension after...silly me, then moved a fridge about this am... hour later I just tightened up and went into spasm...

JOY!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. On a more statistical and personal reflection of Sat. meet

I swam the 1000. When I dove in my goggles filled with water! It was awful. My time was 16:29.00. I was sure I could do under 15:00 but I was wrong. Bernie from my club helped me to break down my 100's for future training.

I swam the 50 and put the goggles under my cap. They fell off and dragged on me the whole way. MY time was 36.02 which beat my last time by about 00.30 and my goal is to get under 34.00. for now and then see if that is the best this body can do or not.

I was asked to join in a relay with DAMA! That was the first relay I have done in say 35years when I was 17! I said I could only do free or breast as my arm does not want to do a backward motion and I think the fly is hard on my arm also. I need to get praticing on these strokes and technique.

I don't like to not show up but I scratched the IM as my shoulder told me to do so.

Updated March 1st, 2009 at 11:15 AM by flippergirl (title error)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Friday, 2/27/09

by , March 1st, 2009 at 09:29 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Been a bit behind in posting. This will get me caught up.

Did weight training at noon. Mostly lower body with some core work. I will post what I'm doing when I can remember what each is called. Right now I just follow my trainer and I do what she says.

SCY with Carrie

Warmup
    200 swim free
    200 IM drill
    200 swim choice (did back)
    200 pull breathe 3/5 by 50

Main Set
    6 x 50 free on :50 descend 1-3, 4-6
    (went :40->:36 on both)

3 x 200 IM on 3:45, work transitions, descend 1-3
    (haven't done a 2IM in a while so these were slow. did all 3 around 3:25)

4 x 75 back on 1:20 descend 1-3
    (went 1:08->1:04)

3 x 100 IM on 2:00 descend 1-3
    (went 1:35->1:30)
    50 easy

16 x 25 pull on :30 choice: #3, 5, 8, and 11 fast; the last 5 are all easy for your swim down.
    (did all free on these. fast ones around 15-16, the rest around 20)

Total: 2750 yards

--
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. The Adventures of a Newbie...

I wanted to be prepared, so I left the night before. I was going to be in the very first race, my very first 1000 free at 8:45 AM Sat. I was going to stange town in the middle of nowhere, Greensboro North Carolina. I was coming from a town in the middle of nowhere, Charlotte. The forcast was gloomy and it was. My destination was a high school. Once I had found the pool I knew I would be okay. I walked up to two young girls with pony tails and running clothes. The one with braces pointed and said, "It's up there." Why don't teen age girls say much? I followed them to a brick building with a big heavy door. "Good evening", said Lurch except with a southern accent and a plaid button down shirt. Probably a teacher on security duty. I could smell the bleach and saw the steam rising through yet another door. I sucked in that vapor that is like an addiction. You want it so much and at the same time you know one taste and the results could be exulting or the death of you.
    Fast forward past the want the hotel but could only afford the motel.
    After much prayer, plans and too much chocolate from the 75% off Valentine heart I got at Rite Aid. I get to sleep.
    I am the first to arrive at the pool greeted by a sleepy Lurch. I haven't been in the pool for four days and the water feels so inviting in warmup. I thought about what Onefish said. Did a good warm up, practiced my flip turns to be ready to hit off the wall fast and hard.
    My own ideas are all rushing into my head as I am so unprepared with any knowlege of my speed. Hmmm, if I count, how many one Missisippis does it take for me to get 50yds against the clock. Um, I think it is 30 of my Mississippis to 40 seconds on the clock. How close can I get to the wall for my turns. I approach the guy in a white polo shirt and something around his neck. I shyly ask when can I dive? He is kind.
    Fast forward to my big race.
    I instinctually tunnel vision down the lane as I step up. Take your mark. Kind of a Wwwonngbzzz echoes in my ear. I push off, point toes, hit the water and my goggles fill up with water. I can't see for sht..!!! Jimby, I feel like the Red Baron is going to get me this time for sure!
    How could I dare waste time fixing them. I blindly go as the stinging pain increases. I barely see some white square floating in and out of the water at one end. It is like a nightmare that never ends. Uh ohhhh I touch outside the pad... oh no I might be diqualified? I will pull and I will kick to the death. Finally, the dream ends and I finish. I finish....yes, I did it against all odds!! I could go on and on about the whole wonderful day and wonderful people I met or got to know better. What commeraderie. I'm in love with Masterswimming. I hope its the kind that last forever.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Mind over matter

by , February 28th, 2009 at 07:42 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Well, after being inspired by fellow bloggers, I decided to start a blog. I'm also hoping that any masters swimmers out there that have dysautonomia will be encouraged by this blog.

I'm 42 and have been dealing with a diagnosis of postural orthostatic tachycardia (hyperadrenergic form) since 2006. For those that have never heard of the disorder, you can find more info about it at the Dysautonomia Information Network: http://www.dinet.org/pots_an_overview.htm.

I have been on beta blockers and fludrocortisone, but due to side effects from these medications, with the permission of my cardiologist, I have opted to go off these medications. Instead, I have attempted to make dietary and lifestyle changes.

Exercise intolerance is one of the symptoms of this disorder, so training and staying in shape can be rather challenging at times. I usually wear a heart rate monitor when exercising (even when I swim) which is helpful to me in keeping symptoms under control.

Below is what I did this past week. In the future, I hope to blog my workouts on a daily basis.

Saturday, February 21

Picked up my bike from the repair shop. I had not ridden it in 7 months, so it was in need of a tune-up. Rode an easy 12 miles, averaging about 16 miles an hour. A great day to do a ride with little wind and temps in the mid-60s.

Sunday, February 22

Went out to the track with my son to help him prepare for a kid's duathlon in April. First run workout for him, so took it pretty easy:

400 easy jog
    3 x (200 walk, 200 easy speed)
    400 easy jog
    400 easy speed
    400 walk

Monday, February 23

Biked 12 miles - same route. Since I had scouted the route on Saturday and seen no dogs, I felt o.k. to get down in my aero bars. Kept RPMs over 90. Kept it easy but went a little faster than last time, averaging 16.6 mph. There was a slight wind and temps were in the upper 40s. Wore my shoe covers for this ride.

In the afternoon, I hit the pool and basically did an easy 1000 consisting of the following:

200 Reverse I.M. - one arm on the fly
    300 easy kick with fins - 100 on side, 100 on back, and 100 on side
    200 alternated 25 right arm/25 left arm fly
    300 - 100 easy free, 100 back, 100 easy free

Tuesday

Off

Wednesday

Unexpected rain, so had to hit the treadmill. Ran an hour at 10 min. per mile. At each mile (ran six miles), I would up my speed another 1 mph for a total of 30 seconds and drop the pace back down. Followed the run with some light weights - lat pulldowns and bicep curls.

Thursday

A perfect day to ride with little wind and temps in the upper 60s. Picked up the pace a little on my 12 mile route and was able to average 18 mph for the ride. While focusing on my form and RPM, I was startled by some dogs that came out of nowhere. One ran right along side of me, but I was able to get away.

Later in the day, helped my son with his running again. Alternated walking 1/2 mile with running 1/2 mile for two miles. Averaged around 4 minutes on the 1/2 miles.

Hit the pool after that and did the following workout:

500 warm-up

5 x 100 back on 1:45 - descend each 100 - did 1:35, 1;27, 1:23, 1:20, 1:13.

100 easy

28 x 50 on :55 - 6 x 50 alternating 50 one arm fly, and 50 back; 6 x 50 dolphin kick (no fins); 6 x 50 alt. 50 one arm fly, 50 back; 6 x 50 dolphin kick; 4 x 50 back

200 easy

Total: 2700 yards

Friday, February 27

Had hoped to swim, but storms kept the pool closed. Hit the treadmill and did a 3 mile run, averaging 10 minute miles.

Saturday, February 28

Plans to swim were once again thwarted. Instead, got in a 4 mile run and averaged about 9:43 per mile. Heart rate average for the run was 150. Noticed that when I was mindful to do deep breathing on the run, my heart rate would drop down. Noticed this also on my recovery walk after the run. Forceful exhalation and deep inhalation seem to make my heart rate drop faster than it usually does.

Updated March 4th, 2009 at 08:38 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. easy practice

by , February 28th, 2009 at 06:12 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat Feb 28th, 2009

5 days till Austin Grand Prix Thu Mar 5th

still coughing

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=171284&postcount=1090"]Swim Faster Faster Index[/ame]

Texas High School Championship meets are this weekend at UT

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE
    6:30 - 8:00
    Whitney Coached
    scy TSC diving well
    dove in 20 minutes late
    swam with Tyler and Todd,
    Jon larry brad

7 x 100 on 1:35

changed into B70 Nero Comp

50 fl Fast
    whitney timed
    go start off blocks
    went 23.5

50 easy

NEXT MEET:
    USA Swimming Austin Grand Prix Austin TX
    Thursday March 5 - Saturday March 7, 2009
    5 days away
    Meet format: Short Course AM, Long Course PM
    http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquatics/meets
    entered the following events
    THU #05 100 Butterfly 52.63 #08 200 IM 2:00.32
    FRI #18 100 Backstroke 54.05
    SAT #24 200 Backstroke 2:21.04 #26 100 Freestyle 48.85

NEXT MEET:
    2009 South Central Zone USMS Championships
    Friday March 27 - Sun March 29, 2009
    27 days away

NEXT MEET
    USMS MASTERS NATIONALS
    May 8 - 10
    http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats09/
    71 days away
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Saturday, Feb. 28

by , February 28th, 2009 at 05:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    5 mile trail run

I've lost my running legs. The first half was easy, almost went further before turning around. Glad I didn't. Yeesh. Hope to get my legs back a bit more this Spring. And, BTW, when is Spring going to get here?! It was 60 yesterday and then back to the 30s today ...

Weight lifting questions:

My rear delts are pretty sore. Is this from the chinning?

How many reps are typically done with squatting? Or is nothing "typical."?

Hoping to do a triple tomorrow -- team swim/weights & yoga with Mini-Fort.
    Categories
    Running