View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Sunday 02072016

by , February 7th, 2016 at 05:15 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    another solo swim @ Sendero Springs
    SCY

w/u sets:
    600, various (threw in a bit of back and breast)

8 x 100 kick @ 1:45, various (dolphin, flutter, belly/back)

8 x 100 @ 1:30, desc 1-4/5-8
    (took an extra :15 after 4)

100 easy

4 x 50 back @ :55, w/fingertip paddles

4 x 150 @ 2:10, w/Agility paddles

50 easy
    4 x 25 breast @ :35, w/fingertip paddles
    50 easy

2 x 200 pull @ 2:45, w/buoy + Catalyst paddles

300 w/d

TTL: 4000 yards

there wasn't anyone swimming when I arrived. the lifeguards said some people had been there but left.
    there were 2 kids there, I'd guess for about 20 min, mostly while I kicked and a little of my 100s.
    otherwise, I had the whole pool to myself, well what wasn't covered at least (it always seems a bit eerie looking over under the covers).
    water temp was a little warm (I think 82F), but the air was 65F with a breeze, and the pool is outside, so it actually felt pretty nice.

my swims felt much stronger, even -v- last week, and I'm not sure why. last week I struggled to do 100s @ 1:35, while this week I was holding 1:15-1:20 for these (the fastest might have been a little faster than 1:15). even using the Agility and Catalyst paddles I was able to go on faster intervals, and really didn't feel like I pushed myself any more.

after this, I won't feel so guilty eating while watching the Super Bowl shortly

oh, and here's a nice picture of the pool after I finished:
    Tags: solo swim
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Thursday 05282015

by , May 28th, 2015 at 12:37 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    went to Chandler's Hamilton pool during AM lap swim

600 w/u

kick sets:
    6 x 100 @ 1:50, w/fins and board, alternating flutter/dolphin by 25
    3 x 100 @ 1:50, fins only (on back), 25 flutter/50 dolphin/25 flutter

6 x 50 @ 1:05, 25 scull (did 3 different sculls)/25 swim

6 x 50 @ :55, rudder drill (put a kickboard between your legs, kind of like a buoy)

100 easy (to get my legs back)

8 x 100 @ 1:30, swim w/Agility paddles

6 x 50 @ :55, 25 back/25 breast, w/fingertip paddles

200 w/d

TTL: 3500 yards

was running a little late and was worried that the pool might be busy. actually when I got there I was worried they were even open, only a few cars...and I had my pick of lanes. school is done now for Chandler, so maybe that's why the parking lot was so empty.

this was about one of my ideal solo swims. a nice warm-up, kicking, drills, some aerobic work, and some stroke. hadn't done a solo swim for a few weeks, and it was nice to just do my own thing (don't get me wrong, I do enjoy swimming with the team).

after a few days of long course, swimming yards just felt really short. those first few walls seemed to come up very quickly.

I'll do spin class tonight, with some weights before it. kind of nice now that my body is somewhat getting used to weights and not all sore all the time (I still get a little sore a day after).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Wednesday 11062013

by , November 6th, 2013 at 10:57 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    I had decided to take a break from blogging a few weeks ago. no real reason, just thought I'd take a break.
    then late last week I got hit with a nasty cold. I swam Friday, but really shouldn't have, and then had a massage right after. I think that made things worse, it pushed all the crud around my body... by Sunday I was just moping around, struggling to breathe, and reading the Game of Thrones books on my Kindle. finally late Monday I gave in, went to the urgent care, and the doctor prescribed an antibiotic z pack, prednisone, and some of the good cough syrup.
    started to feel better yesterday, and decided I'd try to go to workout this morning.

500 w/u (it felt really strange at first, I did a few open turns, stopped here/there)

200 easy, just to establish a pace (did 2:55)
    4 x 50 @ 1:00
    2 x 200 @ 3:10
    4 x 50 @ 1:00
    3 x 200 @ 3:00
    4 x 50 @ :55
    4 x 200 @ 2:50
    4 x 50 @ :50

10 x 50 kick @ 1:00 (last without fins)

200 w/d

TTL: 4000 yards

felt ok, a little rough at first, but I gradually adjusted, and made all the intervals. lighter group than normal, I split a lane with 1 other.

then after work, I went to the gym pool intending to do an easy stretch-out swim...

500 w/u

4 x 50 breast @ 1:00, goal ~47
    4 x 100 swim w/Agility paddles @ 1:30
    3 x 50 breast @ 1:05, goal ~45
    2 x 200 pull w/buoy + Catalyst paddles @ 2:45
    2 x 50 breast @ 1:10, goal ~42
    4 x 50 swim @ :45
    50 breast...whatever I had left, goal ~40, came in at 39

200 w/d

TTL: 2200 yards

was just going to do an easy stretch-out swim...but there was another guy there actually swimming. we didn't swim together, but he did some breaststroke, so I figured I would too, and before i knew it, well I did a decent set

I'm about 90% in for the BU meet now I think. I'll probably fly in a week prior, visit 2 new states I haven't yet been to (RI and VT), spend a few days visiting family in PA, then drive back, probably to do the 800m on Friday.
  4. Thursday 02282013

by , February 28th, 2013 at 10:42 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    lap swim is back at Hamilton

200 w/u

1000 neg split @ 13:30 (came in around 13:15), right into...
    10 x 100, odds @ 1:20, evens @ 1:40

a little rest to put on fins...

5 x 100 kick @ 1:45 w/fins + board, done 50 flutter/50 dolphin
    right into

two rounds (swim w/fins):
    75 free done 25 easy/25 fast/25 easy
    rest about 10 sec, then a 25 FAST fly

100 easy (I needed it)

5 x 100 pull @ 1:15 w/paddles + buoy

200 w/d

TTL: 3700 yards, in 55 min

it was really nice to be back at Hamilton. didn't realize how much closer to home it is. water was so nice and clear (really nice to have fresh water), although I don't know why they have to keep it so warm.

it was also nice having a paceclock. I stole part of Paul's set from yesterday (I heard about it after), but flipped the 1000 and 100s since I needed more warm-up before I got started with fast swimming. I didn't have a problem with the 100s @ 1:20 (came in around 1:15), and even came in around 1:22 for those on 1:40.

it felt good to do kicking on intervals also. without a clock, I'd probably do 2:00, but not kick as fast either... having the clock, especially seeing the halfway point, really helped.

I've been wanting to see how fast I could hold 100s w/paddles, been a while since I did that. started off around 1:10, but the last 2 were touch + go.

overall a nice little solo swim.

oh, and I love seeing the sun rise while I'm swimming here. the other pool had a building that blocked it. air temp was more moderate too, around 45-50.

this makes just over 44 miles for the month of February, not bad. I swam 24 of the 28 days too. and I have a little cushion in my 500 mile annual goal right now (now to keep it)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Thursday 02212013

by , February 21st, 2013 at 03:26 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    last day that Chandler AM lap swim is at Nozomi...Hamilton re-opens next week

500 swim
    400 pull w/paddles + buoy
    300 kick w/fins + board (alternated 50 flutter/50 dolphin)
    200 backstroke w/fingertip paddles
    100 breast

100 easy free

4 x 50 breast @ :10 rest
    50 easy free
    4 x 50 breast @ :10 rest w/fingertip paddles
    50 easy free
    4 x 50 breast @ :10 rest w/breaststroke fins
    50 easy free
    4 x 50 breast @ :10 rest w/breaststroke fins + fingertip paddles
    50 easy free
    4 x 50 breast @ :10 rest, desc 1-4 (got to about 200 pace)

200 pull w/paddles + buoy (normal/large paddles), tried to focus on breathing every 3+

200 w/d

TTL: 3200 yards

air temp wasn't as cool as I expected, low 40s, water temp was toasty as usual. there was one other guy swimming when I got there (around 6:15). he left around 7, then it was just me and the guards until I got out

I wasn't feeling too inspired, actually felt like just staying home, but knew I'd regret that. one nice thing about that initial/warm-up set is that it is 1500 yards...so a nice chunk just doing that.

hadn't done my mega breast set for a month or so, and it actually felt pretty good. I've had some knee issues with the whip kick off/on since Nov (when I did el Tour), but it didn't seem to bother me today.

Most of my free (well after the initial 100ish) I tried to focus on 3+ dolphin kicks and breathing every 3, yes even on those easy 50s between the breast 50s. maybe if I focus on this, it won't be such a chore--and we all know breathing every 3 for a race 50 free is a luxury most of us don't have.

ordered an Orbea Thor bike helmet this morning, through an Active GearUp special:
    http://www.orbea.com/us-en/gear/thor/
    definitely different than what I'm wearing now...hopefully it will work for me.

I've been on work calls from 8:30am all day (with just a 30 min break), and one one now for another 40 min. I may try to sneak out, drive to Ahwatukee for a ride. but I think it is looking likely my spin today will either be skipped or spin class :/
    actually for the best, as I hate riding when the air temp is under 50 (yes I'm a wimp).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Sat-Sun 0209-02102013

by , February 10th, 2013 at 10:06 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Saturday:

went over to the Chandler 24 Hour for a timed 1000 yard swim

500 w/u various

2 rounds of variables @ 5-10 sec rest:
    * half easy/half fast
    * half fast/half easy
    * all easy
    * all fast

100 easy

1000 for time (around 13:14)

300 w/d (did a bit of easy backstroke)

2100 yards

I rarely swim or workout at all on Saturdays. but we finished the cleaning, I ate lunch early, so had time, then got this crazy idea to do a timed 1000.

that time certainly isn't 100% accurate. I have a stopwatch I keep in a ziploc. I started it, and pushed off around 5 sec. by the time I finished and stopped it, it was 13:22. so minus the 5, then minus another 2-3 to finish, grab the watch, stop, I'm estimating 13:14.
    that isn't a bad time, certainly not for this pool. water clarity wasn't too good, it was pretty cloudy.

there were 2 other guys swimming, I was initially relegated to the wall lane. then the one in the open area got out, and oddly the one next to me moved over, so I took his lane--which is my favorite.

Sunday:

Usery 68 mi 04:11 16.2mph pace

Felt good through about 50-55 miles...then I got a flat. Stopped to fix it, but my legs just didn't want to pedal after that. Took me a while to figure it out, but I guess I bonked. Made another stop, ate whatever I had, drank a ton, and hobbled my way home. Funny, the first part of the ride was really good, felt like I took the hills strongly...maybe too much. Oh well, live and learn.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/40489736

I think my problem was that because I went out later I ate a heavy breakfast...eggs and such. last week when I went out earlier, I had 2 PB&J's before heading out, and that works much better. I did have some hot chocolate this morning, which might have let me hang on as long as I did.
    so now I can say that I've bonked running, swimming, and cycling. I remember one time running how I ended up just mindlessly walking/jogging back along the canal. thankfully I didn't have to really think today either...was far enough in that I just had to make 1 turn, then I tried to keep focused by counting how many miles back home.

for those who wonder what makes me get out to bike...follow that link and look at the pictures. these barely scratch the surface of what I see while I bike out here... the Tonto National Forest has some amazing mountain views. actually there was snow on some of the peaks today, but I couldn't get any pics of them from where I stopped...

went over to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a recovery swim. had zero expectations of actually accomplishing much, other than hopefully feeling better after.

started out in the hot tub to warm up. big mistake--after that, the pool felt really cold. I nearly dropped an f bomb when I got in.

600 w/u

300 kick w/board only. done as 50 flutter/50 whip continuous

100 easy

300 pull w/paddles + buoy

100 easy

5 x 100 kick @ 10 sec rest, w/fins + board
    done as 50 flutter/50 dolphin

100 easy

200 w/d

went in the hot tub and stretched for about 10 min. water was really really warm, so figured I should cool off a little after.

grabbed my goggles and did a very very easy 100 free.

TTL: 2600 yards

mission accomplished: I felt much better after than I did going in

I mostly had the pool to myself. was in my fav lane, and for a while there were some people splashing around in the wall lane, but they didn't get in my way at all.
    legs/feet on the verge of cramping here/there, so really tried to stretch things out in the hot tub.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Cycling
  7. Thursday 01312013

by , January 31st, 2013 at 06:04 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    went over to Chandler-Nozomi during lap swim

400 w/u

10 x 50, swim w/fingertip paddles
    done 25 back/25 breast

100 easy

300 kick, board only. did a mix of free, breast, and a little fly

100 easy

300 pull w/large paddles + buoy
    200 swim free
    100 breast

4 x 100 kick w/fins + board done:
    * dolphin
    * flutter
    * dolphin on back (no board)
    * flutter on back (no board)

2 times through, swim w/fins--
    25 easy free
    25 fast fly

100 easy

100 breast swim w/breaststroke fins
    200 free build

200 w/d

TTL: 3400 yards

was surprised that there were actually other people there. at one point almost a full pool. not only that, but as some people got out, a few more came. lap swim goes 5:30 to 7:30am. I got out around 7:15, and a guy was just getting in...15 min isn't that much time to do much.

about halfway through my swim, I noticed a paceclock on one side of the pool. temps were around 40F, the water was a bit toasty, and there was so much steam coming up that I just didn't see it. it was only an analog clock...we have nice digital clocks at Kino.

the swim felt pretty good. wanted to do a mix of some distance with some drills. had a few things in mind going, but for the most part made it up as I went along.

even with missing a few days in January, I still swam 41.17 miles for the month. A little behind where I should be for my 500 mile annual goal, but I'm not overly concerned.
    interestingly, the person who writes the high intensity workouts is one person bringing down our team's average distance

I was able to slip out for a nice little spin on my bike, very similar to what I did Tuesday:
    Ahwatukee spin 46.01 mi 02:35 17.8mph pace

Another little spin over to Ahwatukee. Did the hill, turned around, then up the backside. There was some wind, which seemed to change direction at me :/
    http://app.strava.com/activities/39302925

The curse of wind here... seems when it isn't boiling hot, the wind comes in to take place of the heat.
    I've chatted with some other cyclists, and we all would rather the heat over the cold, especially wind. after living here so long, I can tolerate cycling even up to 100 or so. after putting in so many running miles in the heat, cycling is so much easier.

was a little lighter of a month for cycling, just 406 miles. but weather, illness, injury all seemed to get in the way. last summer, I regularly got in 600+ (I think my max was 685).
    I chatted with the spin instructor after class recently, and he said this should be your base building season anyway, and not to get too crazy (yet) with long rides or climbs.

I am trying to put together a group for a ride to/from Tucson. down one day, back the next. from Chandler it is about 90 miles each way, via Florence and Oracle (although it technically is legal to ride on the I-10 in spots, I think I'd need my sanity checked to actually do it). hopefully in late Feb/early March, while the weather is nice. maybe 4 or so people and someone in a truck for support/gear (I'm not going out to dinner in my cycling outfit).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Cycling
  8. Sunday 01132013: COLD

by , January 13th, 2013 at 11:41 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    after seeing the forecasted low for this morning of 19F, I didn't even bother trying to do my bike Century ride this morning.
    thankfully it didn't get quite that cold, but it was 25F when I woke up. we went to breakfast, Costco, then I just lounged around the house most of the day vegging and watching movies.
    I did take Holly for a walk around 2pm, when it was a whopping 42F. I thought of biking, but ended up just deciding I didn't want to deal with it. I guess a day off here/there isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I made it over to the gym for an evening solo swim:

200 w/u

2 time through, 5 x 100:
    #1: 25 breast/75 free
    #2: 25 free/25 breast/50 free
    #3: 50 free/25 breast/25 free
    #4: 75 free/25 breast
    #5: easy free
    (focus on the 25 breast)

100-200-300-400-400-300-200-100, done as:
    100 fly kick w/fins + board
    200 breast
    400 free
    400 pull w/paddles + buoy
    300 free
    200 fly kick w/fins + board
    100 breast

100 easy

50 fast free (32)
    50 easy
    50 fast free (33)

200 w/d

TTL: 3650 yards

even though I didn't bike or do anything substantial today, I still didn't feel quite 100% when I left home for the gym, but as usual, once there and in the water, I felt fine.

I was in a rut and doing almost the same thing over and over again. so I was determined to do something different today. I took a look at a few different workouts, but wasn't very inspired. then suddenly I thought of a ladder... then the result was what I did. still not overly creative, but it worked for me today.
    the worst part of the ladder was the 200 breast. I was going to do it on the down side, but didn't feel like doing a 100 breast so soon after the other set, and it worked out well in the end. I would have had a tough time doing the 200 breast toward the end of this set.

the same guy who was swimming on Thurs when I was there showed up again today. I think he's a triathlete, did mostly just a continuous swim. he got in the water while I was doing the 400 free, so I got the chance to pace and see how fast he was (I lapped him on that, and the 400 pull, and 300 free).

they're predicting a low of 23 tonight. I'll probably just do another solo swim at the Tempe 24 Hour pool tomorrow morning. yea the water at Kino is heated...but getting out of it and walking to the locker room in a wet swimsuit would be tough. and there could be some ice patches on deck. Mondays are typically casual days anyway, and I have a decent workout in mind.

2 more nights of this cold (low to mid 20s) before we're back to no freezing temps, hopefully. we've been covering all kinds of vegetation in the yard. so far things don't look too bad. there's a little frost burn on the edges of some things, but that's to be expected.
    we're just so surprised how many people aren't covering anything. while driving to breakfast today, we saw tons of dead bushes.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Thursday 101112 workouts

by , October 11th, 2012 at 11:53 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    went out for a little spin on my bike this morning:

Home to Ahwatukee, shortcut back 41.6 mi 02:12 19.0mph pace

There was a little drizzle as I left home this morning, and I thought about turning back. It got heavy about a mile later, but then stopped, so I kept going. Did my usual route over to Ahwatukee, and did a hill loop counter-clockwise. Just as I started climbing, the rain picked up again, but it wasn't bad, and actually felt good. Decided to try a different way back, just Chandler Blvd the whole way to Chandler Mall. Wasn't bad, and certainly saved some time.
    http://app.strava.com/rides/24656433

it certainly was an interesting ride, had some of everything, from dark to clouds to rain, to some sun (was about to pull out my sunglasses for a while). at least the wind wasn't too horrible.
    doing a mini-taper for Tour de Scottsdale.
    When I think back to my last cycling event, back in April, I really wasn't nearly as serious as I am now.
    this will be the first of 3 different cycling events this fall.

at least this rain is a part of a front that is coming through and finally pushing out the last of the summer heat. highs over the next few days will be below normal. and the weather should be all cleared up for Sunday

after work I went over to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a solo swim:

500 w/u, done as--
    4 rounds of 100 free/25 breast

10 x 50 kick w/fins + board--
    * odds free
    * evens fly

2 x 250 pull, w/paddles + buoy

100 easy

500 free for time (6:55, yuck)

100 easy

4 x 50 breast, w/large paddles upside-down

100 breast for time (1:34 :/ )

200 w/d

TTL: 2700 yards

thought I was having a good set, heck I even felt pretty decent on that 500, but that time sure doesn't reflect it. I think I built into it a little too slow.

when I finished the 100 breast I knew I was slow. coming in to finish, I was tempted to just do another 100 and make it a 200. after a fast 100 (or heck any distance), I shouldn't be even considering doing more.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Cycling
  10. Thursday 02232012 AM Solo Swim

by , February 23rd, 2012 at 11:11 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went over to Chandler-Hamilton for their AM lap swim this morning
    had my own lane (SCY), and the water temp didn't seem as warm as usual (tho still warmer than Kino)

600 nice easy warm-up

mini kick set:
    2 x 50 w/board only @ 1:30
    6 x 50 w/fins + board @ 1:00

100 easy

breaststroke losing the gear/losing the interval set:
    4 x 50 @ 1:00 w/finger paddles + pull buoy
    4 x 50 @ :55 w/finger paddles (real kick)
    2 x 50 @ :50 normal breast

100 easy

fun with 300s main set:
    1 x 300 pull @ 4:15 w/large paddles + buoy
    2 x 150 Oreos @ 2:30 (50 free/50 breast/50 free)
    3 x 100 pull @ 1:20 w/large paddles + buoy
    4 x 75 mini Oreos @ 1:15 (25 free/25 breast/25 free)
    6 x 50 pull @ :40 (did 2 then a strap came undone, did 1 like that, 1 w/just buoy, and 2 swim)
    6 x (25 breast @ 90% fast hands, 25 easy free) @ 1:00

300 w/d

TTL: 3800 yards

got there a little earlier than normal, and felt pretty good so stayed until the kids were starting their PE class at 7:30.

a few days ago, Leslie posted how doing kick with fins shouldn't be that bad with my ankle. I was very skeptical, but thought I'd give it a shot today...and of course she was right.

it was nice to do a solo swim and have the chance to use so many of my toys. I don't usually use too many at team workouts.
    seemed the more breast I did, the better it felt, and by the time I finished my breast set, I decided I'd mix some in with my 300s set...and it worked out well.

went out for a nice little afternoon spin on my bike:

Distance: 23.69 mi
    Time: 1:18:51
    Avg Speed: 18.0 mph
    Elevation Gain: 59 ft
    Calories: 1,436 C
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/152028503

S Chandler Loop: Cooper/Hunt/Alma/Dobson/Pecos 23.69 mi 01:19 18.1mph pace

Took advantage of some FANTASTIC weather to get out for a late afternoon spin on my bike. Temp was around 80, nice and sunny, just a little bit of a breeze... Anyway, I felt pretty good, other than eating too much popcorn with lunch which kind of sat in my stomach, and mixed with gatorade wasn't too good. But that didn't seem to slow me down at all, had a good avg speed, with a couple of miles at 20.
    note: really have to watch what I eat for lunch if I'm going to workout in the afternoon. for gym/weights it usually isn't a huge issue. I know I've run into things when I've run in the afternoon. at least on the bike I could do easy bits.

Updated February 23rd, 2012 at 07:06 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Cycling
  11. Sun 09052010: PM Solo Swim in Manchester

by , September 5th, 2010 at 04:29 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    after a busy day yesterday, packing up, taking the train from Edinburgh to Manchester, getting to the new hotel, and seeing a show last night (an English comedian), I slept in this morning and didn't run for the first Sunday in a while. Spent the day mostly just walking around Manchester exploring the downtown area.

then I went to the Manchester Aquatics Centre to swim. I had heard there was a group that swims there around 7pm on Sunday evenings, but there's a problem with the pool floor so they're taking time off. It is a moveable floor, but it is currently stuck, so they can't move the bulkhead, so the pool is now 25m and 23m, plus a play area with slides, and a diving well with 1/3m springboards, and platforms. I was in the 25m section, saw a guy who seemed to know what he was doing in the 2nd fastest lane (as marked), swimming on the right, so I joined him. depth was 2m on the deep side, 1.2m on the shallow side.

700 w/u choice

6 x 100 @ 2:00 (did this with Harry, the guy in the lane, I did 25 stroke/25 free/25 stroke/25 free)

5 x 200 @ 3:10

100 easy

6 x 50 @ 1:00, descend 1-3

200 w/d

total: 2900m

notes--

* I went without a plan, since I was hoping to latch onto a group. I was a bit disappointed it wasn't there.

* I saw Harry taking a break after I did around 700, asked if he was doing a set, and he told me, so I asked if he'd mind if I did the same. I went 10 back, almost caught him a couple times, but was mostly fine. I held 1:30s doing my mix of stroke.

* the 200s I intended to do on 3:00, but that didn't work. I mostly held 3:02, so 3:10 worked just enough.

* for my 2 fast 50s, I held around 37. really have no idea how that fares for me, so rare I swim timed SCM sets.

tomorrow we're planning to spend some time in Liverpool. I'm a Beatles fan, but the other people I'll be with aren't, so we'll see what happens. then I'm hoping to swim again tomorrow night.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Fri 09032010: PM Solo Swim in Edinburgh

by , September 3rd, 2010 at 03:02 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    After we finished up the touring activities for the day, I found a pool not too far from my hotel, the Dalry Swim Centre (SCY), and did a solo swim on my own--

700 w/u choice various

6 x 150 @ 2:20

100 easy

12 x 100 @ 1:25, descend 1-3

100 easy

4 x 50 @ 1:15, done 25 FAST/25 easy free (odds fly, evens breast)

100 easy

2 x 50 fast free @ 1:30

300 w/d

TOTAL: 3800 yards

notes--
    * the pool isn't the best I've been in, but certainly not the worst either. It was GBP 3.90, which really isn't too bad. If you're here a while, they do have various passes available, good at all city pools. unfortunately the 50m pool is being refurbished. this pool was around 1m deep in the shallow end, 2m in the deep end
    * it was fairly chaotic when I first got in. I went in the 'fast' lane; there were 2 lanes setup for lap swimming, then I think 3 in the open area for whatever. there was 1 other guy just slower than me, and 2-3 others in the lane who I had no idea what they were doing.
    * I was going to do the 150s on a faster interval, but 2:20 worked well for timing in passing the others
    * after I did that 100 easy, I noticed the open area was thinning out, and there was a guy in the lane with me doing very slow breaststroke wearing huge board shorts, so I moved over. it worked very well.
    * I rarely swim on my own, and when I do I don't usually do timed swims, I usually just swim on a rest interval. 1:25 really wasn't bad, I probably could have squeezed by on a 1:20, but this gave me a chance to somewhat recover after my fastish descend (I held around 1:12 on those).
    * kind of stole some general ideas I've seen in the forums, and just made things up as I went along. the 50s at the end felt pretty good, held around :32, which isn't bad for me from a push, esp given an unfamiliar pool

I probably won't workout until Sunday. there's a duathlon (info here) in Edinburgh this weekend, takes place where I ran last night, so I'll skip tomorrow morning. I do plan to swim at least once, hopefully twice, while in Manchester, there's a great 50m pool about a mile from the hotel there, the Manchester Aquatics Centre
    Categories
    Swim Workouts