View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. 6|30|17 SCM form

drylands - chest, back, and arms for about 25 min

SCM
    15 x 30m on 1:00, 15m sprt fr breakout and stroke form / 15m (bk o / br e) ez

5 x 30m on 1:00, 15m sprt fr breakout and stroke form / 15m (bk o / br e) ez

• practice turns w/o push for the ez's (bk's were blind gainer turns)

30 x 16m turn drills on 0:20

10 x 30m on 1:00, 15m sprt fr breakout and stroke form / 15m bk ez

• practice bk turns as above

10 x 30m on 1:00, 15m sprt fr breakout and stroke form / 15m UW breaststroke
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Budapest week 8 - Friday

by , June 30th, 2017 at 05:27 PM (After a long rest)
    I slept hard last night and would have slept through my alarm if it were not for my awesome wife waking me up and giving me a coffee. I normally don't drink coffee before practice(I make up for it after practice) but this morning it was exactly what I needed.

I felt ok during warmup and about half of the main set today but was really tired from that point on. Despite being tired I had a good workout.

Pool setup LCM

Warm up
    400 Free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :50

Main Sets
    4x(100 fast free on 2mins, 200 IM on 3mins, 4x50 on 1min IMO by round trying to hold 200 race pace)
    200 easy
    4x100 with fins as free, back, back, free on 2mins
    12x50 smooth perfect stroke

Warm down
    200 easy

I was holding 1:08-1:09 on the 100s, using the IM as active recovery(but these still hurt) and was going 2:50s, and then choose to do back,free,back,free on the 50's by round. On the back I was :35-:36 and on the free I was :33s. My arms felt really tired towards the end of this set. I was not expecting Tom to throw 4 100s afap with fins at us and I must have pulled a funny face because he made a sarcastic comment about me not wanting to do these. The guy in the lane next to me was one of our faster young guys and he likes to race so I had to go for it on the free. I was :56 on the first and :55 on the last 100 which hurt so bad. On the back I was 1min and :59. I was hoping to go under 1:05 which I obviously did but I was very surprised how quick my back was because it felt horrible.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. 'I Have an Idea for an Article About … ' (July-August 2017)

by , June 30th, 2017 at 01:20 PM (SWIMMER Editorials)
    Readers ask me, “Have you ever thought about doing a story on ...”

Some readers want to tell their own stories. (Hint: We love getting humorous or light-hearted first-person essays for the Hot Tub.) Some nominate a teammate or ask about a swimmer they saw at nationals. Some have training or sports medicine or rules questions, and those evolve into article topics.

Some swimmers share their stories in the hope of providing inspiration or encouragement to others who might be struggling.

In this issue, John Ramos of Masters of Yucaipa in Southern California shares with writer Gretchen M. Sanders how swimming has helped him in his struggle with PTSD following the San Bernardino terrorist attack (Swimming Life, page 6).

Some readers reach out with questions or concerns about products, and ideas evolve from there.

Gina Pond in Chicago was frustrated with not being able to find swimsuits that fit her and wasn’t seeing swimmers of size featured in our publications. Elaine K. Howley spoke with Pond about body image issues and her quest for inclusivity (Bewitching Belief, page 18).

Sometimes we get emails with interesting professional signatures, prompting us to ask, “Hey, what’s it like being a (winemaker, oboe player, xenobiologist) and can we write about you?”

Many readers want practical advice on how to swim faster or more efficiently.
    In this issue’s technique feature (page 24), Jeff Commings writes that you can go wider with your breaststroke out-sweep, providing you back it up with a powerful kick. So, if you’re still mentally scraping the insides of a salad bowl, try his tips for more power in the armstroke. (I swear just reading that article has already improved my breaststroke.)

Terry Heggy (whose online coaching and technique articles at usms.org are must-reads) asks Level 4 USMS coach Chris McPherson for a few drills to fix your freestyle (Ask the Coach, page 8) and multiple record-holder Dot Munger for some racing tips (From the Center Lanes, page 10).

For the most part, there aren’t bad topics—only ones that will interest or won’t interest any given reader.

If you have an idea for an article, let us know at usms.org/content/readersubmissions, or contact me directly at editor@usms.org.

Always, thanks for reading.