View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. January was rough!!

by , February 6th, 2017 at 09:15 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Well, January was not a great month for starting back. First the flu, followed by food poisoning, and then low iron. After going through all of that, it feels wonderful to be back to "normal." I got in a quick swim at lunch today as follows:

300 Warm-up:. 100 swim, 100 kick with fins, 100 pull

6 x 200 on 3:15 - odds are kick on back with fins, evens are free swim with paddles

100 easy

I am wondering if anybody else out there has sat out 6.5 years of Masters swimming. I would love to hear about your early stage workouts and your ideas about getting back in shape.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Update: Life Hijack

by , February 6th, 2017 at 04:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Last time I checked in, I had just had my VTOS surgery (Dec. 8) wherein Dr. Lum removed a huge chunk from my chest. I seemed to recover from that fairly well and did not become a pillbilly. On December 20, I went back to Hopkins for a venogram to check the vein. Disappointingly, but not totally unexpectedly, it was still damaged, compressed and the clot was still there. So I had an angioplasty where they put in 4 balloons to open the vein. Good grief, that really hurt. Not great news, but at least he was able to open the vein. I was told that the second operation had a 70% chance of success; veins that have long been compressed are prone to re-collapse. I survived xmas, but on December 29, I was struck down with an extremely severe case of the flu, which developed into bronchitis. I was really sick for 3.5 weeks -- the sickest I've ever been in my life. I only made it to one PT appt, then had to cancel all the rest. At this juncture, I've decided that I'm not going to bother with PT. I had full ROM almost immediately in any event. My arm is still somewhat swollen, but down from before. I was given a 3-6 month estimate for it to return to normal. My next appt is on March 23 and they will again check the vein with a duplex ultrasound. If there is still damage/clotting, I will need vein reconstruction surgery. I also struggled a bit with the oral blood thinner (xarelto). It made me nauseous and tired. So I switched back to lovenox. Downside is injections 2x day. Still, better than nausea.

So Dec & Jan were just a life hijack. After an epic struggle, I have been feeling pretty normal the last 10 days. I can't do anything high impact or anything with my arm. I've been doing a lot of fast walking on the treadmill, between 5-9 miles a day. My incision is healing fine, so I may be able to get back in the water and kick with my arms at my side fairly soon. My dr really errs on the conservative side wrt the pool. But I know others that returned to the pool 6 weeks after VTOS surgery. I may also go to a spin class or some bikram yoga. Vinyasa is out because of all the down dogs.

Anyway, hope you all are doing fabulously! I persevere.

Updated February 7th, 2017 at 06:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout 2/7/17

by , February 6th, 2017 at 02:13 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    SCY

Warm up
    4 x 75 1:15
    2 x 100 1:30
    1 x 200 IM/stroke 3:30
    2 x 100 1:30
    4 x 75 1:05

Kick set
    4 x 75 1:45
    6 x 25 sprint :40

IM/stroke set
    1 x 300 IM 5:15