View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Meet: 04/22/17: CYEDC MastersMania (Philly)

by , April 23rd, 2017 at 10:40 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Despite lackluster training (I have been out of the water for the past 10 days) I was able to coordinate a trip to visit my daugther in Philly to include an appearance in the 2nd MastersMania meet at Ridley High, south of Philadelphia and home to fellow blogger tjrpatt. I have meet with Tom a couple of times to train in the past (at this pool as well as lcm outside in Wayne, PA) in the past few years.

My wife and I started our trip down on Thursday and spent most of Friday tracing my mom's roots north of Allentown, PA, which was very meaningful for me. She passed away in '95 so there is a lot that I feel like I don't really know about her. My aunt was very helpful in pointing me to the home where my grandmother grew up as well as a cemetery and some memorials that listed my great-grandfather and his son (my great uncle) for their service in WW1 and WW2, respectively.

After following some of the "back roads" into town and a spontaneous tour of Fairmount Park, we were able to meet up with our daughter downtown after she got off work and treated her and some friends to dinner before we headed to the hotel. She then joined us at the hotel and drove to the pool Saturday morning with time for me to check in and warm up. The pool is nice with cool water and a good timing system. Lane 1 was open the whole meet for continuous warm-ups and stated on time at 9am, with Tom swimming the 400im solo - a tough event to do alone.

100 free - I wasn't really sure how I was feeling so I same very conservatively, just getting under 1 minute. :eyeroll: The winner was under :49!

50 back - right where I was expecting with a :30.xx. The swim felt good on little rest and I prepared for the 500.

500 fly - just under 7:00. So I have been dealing with some soreness in my shoulder and back for a while, and since I didn't feel horrible after the first two events I figured I bring some Butternut fun to the city of brotherly love! As I have in the past, I swam DPS fly for the first 19 lengths then swam regular fly on the final lap. One starts to feel uncomfortable around the 300 mark, so the easy rhythm of the DPS fly enabled me to keep going. It was really fun.

It was great to see Tom again and also help to support a super fun meet! The meet was a little larger than last year and well run. I spoke briefly with meet director Erik about my experience with our local meet. I was dressed by 10:15am after warming down (1000 warmup, 200 bwtween events, 400 loosen = 2250 yds total) and hope that my work schedule allows for me to drop in again next year.

After the meet the girls and I headed up to King of Prussia to check out the mall (second largest in the US) and then spent a couple of hours checking out Valley Forge National Historic Park. Breathtaking and very informative. We ended the night chilling out at the hotel and after breakfast we watched our girl head back to her life in the city and we took a detour through Atlantic City on our way back to Vermont.

Updated April 23rd, 2017 at 11:20 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  2. Anniversary weekend swimming

by , April 23rd, 2017 at 03:51 PM (After a long rest)
    Today is my wife and I, 23rd wedding anniversary! It does not feel like we have been married that long. My wife asked if I would do it over again and to her surprise I said no....followed by why would I risk doing it again and it not being as good the second time around. I am a very happy husband who is fortunate enough to be married to a wonderful wife, mother and best friend.

this weekend I swam both days. Saturday my training partner Bill, who moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana was back in town visiting. This morning I swam with our group who are going to Budapest. Both days the pool was setup LCM.

Saturday LCM
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :55

main sets
    6x50 kick on 1min
    16x100 free on 2mins
    200 easy
    8x50 as 25 underwater, 25 free afap on 1:10

warm down
    200 easy

i felt rough today but managed to hold 1:07/1:08s throughout.

Sunday Drylands
    10 mins on stationary bike trying to get my heart rate up
    3x(elbow exercises and shoulder exercises, wrist flexor, dumbbell pronation and supination with 17.5lbs, elbow flexion and extension with 27.5lbs, weighted External rotation with arm abducted using 10lb dumbells)
    3x(5x(:45 seconds abs, :15 rest) 1min between rounds, leg lift, oblique crunches, plank, leg and arm extension, Russian twist with 12lb med ball
    10 minutes stretching

swim
    400 free
    200 double arm back
    Categories
    Swim Workouts